Speaker 1: Hi. So I'm Jermaine and welcome back to another episode of Clev hash. So today we're going to discuss something that is not talked about as often as usual. What play friendships, work,
Speaker 2: play friendships like this. Let me just establish first that we're not friends. We're just coworkers.
Speaker 1: Colleagues only. Yeah. So sad. Ok. Seriously though. Do you think we are friends or just colleagues? Three of us?
Speaker 2: No, I, I don't really like them. I do. No, we definitely friends. I think when we first started we were colleagues. That's right. We were coworkers. We knew each other only within work
Speaker 1: in the office. So, how would you categorize friends versus colleagues?
Speaker 2: Friends are people that you met at work that you actually will genuinely meet outside of work? Ok. And even if you quit your job or don't work at the same place anymore, you still stay friends like that. You genuinely enjoy the company and you appreciate them as people and you don't try to get them fired. Exactly. You mean we try to get our coworkers for it
Speaker 1: more about that later. But I feel like for friends you actually tell them personal stuff, like you let them in on your personal life. Whereas for colleagues, you draw a very clear boundary work is work and then after work, you know, you don't talk to the next day you come back to work.
Speaker 2: Actually, I have an issue here. I have an issue in drawing lines because I'm an open book. OK. Art class. Huh? Sorry can send me. Yeah. Um I'm an open book and I'm just very honest that way. Like if I thought that I thought, you know. Right. But I think, because there are people who draw lines very clearly. So that's a little bit scary because to me it's like, oh, friends are like, why can't we be friends? Right. We can't be
Speaker 1: friends. But there really are people who think that way. Maybe they are introverts at heart and they don't feel comfortable sharing so much with their colleagues. You know what I
Speaker 2: remember very clearly. I think it's Wong saying this about Zoete. I think this is years ago. I think she said something like we're not friends, we're colleagues. How do you even know that? I have a lot of useless information in my brain. Wow. I mean, that's, you know, it's one thing to feel it, it's another thing to make a statement to the media saying we're just friends, right? Do you think that's hurtful? Of course, it's helpful. If anything, I think a lot of people in the media um in our industry, look like their friends, but they are just coworkers,
Speaker 1: right? But there's a need to sort of pull up like a facade, right? That we are very close and we hang out together very often. So workplace friendships of course, comes with both pros and cons. On the positive side, it enhances job satisfaction. It promotes a positive work culture and also can lead to increased teamwork. I like this. Yeah. But on the other hand, there are some potential drawbacks, for example, bias conflicts of interest, favoritism. These are all like very sensitive topics. So we all feel like three of us, we are friends. But how about I zoom out and let's look at the bigger picture. Do you think you are friends with your radio partners respectively? So for G with Avery for
Speaker 2: Oh OK. OK. It's us, you go first. It 100%. We're definitely friends. I feel like he keeps me sane because at the end of the day, he's probably the person I see the most, you know, I said his face for four hours every single day. There's no one else that I see for four hours every single day. OK. He has a nice face sometimes I want to smack. But I think because of the nature of our job as well, it's a very emotionally driven job of which our job is literally to entertain people and to be happy, right? But we're not happy all the time. So is my first point of release for
Speaker 1: him. I
Speaker 2: come in, I cry, I come in, I curse, I come in, I scream, I come in, I sing it down. If you need help, blink twice, we will come and save you. Yeah. Like they genuinely friends, genuinely friends and because we feed off each other, um his, his biggest fear is getting mad and losing it. So when that happens to him, he'll look for me to balance things out and like, calm down. Right. I think we feed off each other that
Speaker 1: way. I think this is true because there was one time I saw in the lift and then we were talking about your trip. Oh, just came back from overseas. Yeah. Yeah. And then he was like, yeah, she sent me some photos of a concert. I was so envious and I'm like, wow, you guys must be really close for you to send photos of your trip to him while you're overseas. And I really like that. Oh, this sounds like something that would do to Avery as well. Oh,
Speaker 2: yeah. Actually, recently I haven't been doing that but he told me that when he went to South Africa, he would send me tell and he didn't. So we're not friends anymore. No. But of course, as you know, Avery has been here before, um, I think in the one year that we've worked together, we've developed a close friendship outside of work and a lot of people are surprised to know that we only knew each other, knew of each other like a year ago or got to meet because before that we weren't friends, we weren't even acquaintances. I didn't know, I barely knew his last name or his first name. In fact, um, but like last week I just took his mom out for birthday lunch. So. Right. I think she loves me more than she loves him. Can confirm that a problem. No. Ok. Thank you. Not hard to. Yeah. No, but she's very sweet and you know, I met his, most of his family members as well. That's another level. Ok. Is it too much? No, I think sweet. But actually now that she's mentioned that I realized that funny and I don't hang out out of work, but maybe, maybe you can be friends without hanging out. Correct. Correct. We're definitely friends, but it's just, I guess family commitments. Um, he has a family of which he doesn't have very much time with. So any time that he has is for
Speaker 1: them, this leads me to think about my relationship with my radio co-host. So, like you and we don't hang out outside of work. Ok. But we have a very sort of clear in between us. I guess this has got to do with the fact that he is a bit more of an introvert. He, he actually is an introvert guy but he shares a lot of himself, like on air and on his Instagram stories. And I find that these two points are the two platforms where I get to know most about him. Oh, his social media. Yeah. His social media and the stuff that he shares about online when we are on air in between songs, we are usually just busy looking for news to talk about. We hardly, yeah, actually we hardly communicate about our personal lives. I wouldn't say that we are not friends, you know? But when we meet outside of work, it's usually with our colleagues, like all of our evening drive time team getting together, sitting down for a meal. So, would you
Speaker 2: make plans with, like, on a random Saturday just to go out for lunch?
Speaker 1: I don't think you will say yes, I would say
Speaker 2: try, try. Ok, so the lines are blurred, right? It's not necessarily like if you don't meet outside of work, you're not friends or anything like that or you're just colleagues.
Speaker 1: Yeah. But he's such a nice person. I find that our relationship is more of like a one way thing. Like I'm always telling him about my emotions my day, what I saw but he, he usually keeps his, like emotions to himself. He never ask because if he doesn't want to say, I don't want to seem like I'm probing or like invading in his personal space. You know what I mean? Let's respect that person. I think it is good to. So Yeah, workplace friendships. It has its complications. But I do say I prefer being friends with my colleagues. What
Speaker 2: if it's a friend that you met? Like, let's say, you know, this person from school? Right. And then you guys were friends and now your colleagues.
Speaker 1: But isn't it even better? It's better. Right. Right. Like people I met from the competition? Oh, from, we have, we have, we were actually friends first before colleagues. Right. Yeah. And I find that there's a different bond between us compared to, like the rest of the DJ s because we actually went through things together.
Speaker 2: Right. I like it too. I feel like there's no harm in that. But I think I've seen firsthand sometimes how, maybe some people are not fond of it. Right. And I think maybe because we feel like it doesn't get in the way of work. You know what I mean? But I think there are some people out there who are a little bit more. I will not let anything get in the way of me and work. They are a little bit more driven of which not say driven, but maybe some people just would do anything to get whatever they want. Oh, that sounds very malicious. Like, like some backstabbing. Yeah, you can imagine there are those kind of things happening. Right. You know, where people are a little bit more competitive of which you're not a friend, you're a competition. I'm here to take care of myself
Speaker 1: and myself. Actually, here's a story from our PD before she joined the workforce. She was warned by some of her seniors about backstabbing colleagues. So they say things like your colleagues are not your up until today. She still hears the same sentence from close friends during meetups when they are complaining about work. And you know what? Actually before I stepped to the media Corp, I've heard a lot about how in the media industry, not just Singapore, like in general. Right? There's a lot of politics, there's a lot of backstabbing, but I find that that's not the case in radio at least. But I
Speaker 2: think people that speak on something that they don't know anything about, you know, they would just make assumptions, right? I do truly believe that you can be friends with your colleagues, but I think you have to pick them. Well, you can't just be friends with anyone,
Speaker 1: right? But how do you do this picking then
Speaker 2: analyze that character? Yeah. Don't be like a and then just pour your heart out within a month of knowing them. Wait and see if they can be trusted or not because sometimes they give you like a faint sense of trust like um I'll give you an example. OK. So I have a close friend, um she joined a company and she has this colleague who's like maybe about 20 something years older than her. So her colleague's daughter and and her are the same age. So she sees this colleague a bit like a mother figure, you know, very maternal, very sweet. So over the course of like a month, she started to confide in this person about her own personal life, about her own mother, her family, you know, her, her personal issues and problems turns out two months later, this colleague's daughter had been spreading all of this private information to people, right? And it got back to my friend because their daughter, the daughter is the same age as her. So they have common friends, they have mutual friends. So her mutual friends came to her and said, hey, do you have a colleague called? So and so because her daughter just told me that you da da da da da did this and did that and you're going to be fired, your reputation is so bad and stuff. Yeah, it came from the daughter. So the mother bitch to the daughter, daughter, bitch to the friends got back to her. So which is a bitch. Yeah. So
Speaker 1: it is the mother of the daughter both because a
Speaker 2: case of I'm not supposed to tell anyone hazy but I'm going to tell you. Ok. No, as in from the mother to the daughter. Yes, still, still still. I mean, this could really hurt someone's reputation, it defamation. So be careful who you trust even though they may seem like a mother figure to you.
Speaker 1: But I I feel like when your colleagues speak to you, you already can have a good sense of how they are. Like, I've met someone in my ex workplace, like she seemed very nice. But then like after one week of talking to her, she started bitching about other colleagues, like mutual colleagues that we had. So that's when I know, ok, maybe I should stay away from this person. I think
Speaker 2: that's a sign or something like you should look out for and stay away from because if they can bitch for other people, they can bitch by you. Exactly. Ok. But let me flip it around. Let's just say, I mean your friends, ok, you've become friends in the workplace and then you guys, you know, as a group talk bad about other people that has happened before or not talk bad. I would say just discuss gossip, gossip about other people.
Speaker 1: I think that's fine but not within one week of knowing each other. Oh,
Speaker 2: maybe the difference is that you're talking about it in that safe space that you've created as friends as compared to just now where this person was going around,
Speaker 1: right? Oh Yeah, I think the amount of time that you spent together and where you are actually discussing these topics, they actually matter, say like a chill night out like just a couple of friends over some drinks. Then I feel like fine, it's OK to like talk about it, whatever is said there remains there but not like over lunch at a crowded,
Speaker 2: when you just got to
Speaker 1: know, you just got to know this person is your like first time hanging out with this person
Speaker 2: because if you are like real friends and like sharing your emotions kind of thing, that's like seeking for comfort, trauma bonding. I love that for you.
Speaker 1: But of course, we have cases where we have some colleagues, then slowly they upgrade to being friends, right? So how do you know when you know this person is no longer a colleague but a friend, like I think was this case for me, we we weren't particularly close during the competition but after that, when he joined and we were paired up in the Night Belt together, we were first colleagues. I was like, oh man, I don't know if I can get together with like get along well with this person. But then after that, we became such good friends that we actually would meet up outside
Speaker 2: of work. I just think you can sense the chemistry with a friend because even with you and like from us, watching from the outside, I could tell that you genuinely enjoyed spending time with him, you know, Tik Toks with him doing videos and photos with him and and he's someone that you look like you would confide in. So I think when you have that sense of trust outside of work, that's when you know you've been upgraded to a friend.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a nice feeling actually. Thank you
Speaker 2: for it. I think at the end of the day also, maybe it takes all these individuals who are gonna be friends to understand that my job is my job and my work is my work. Right. And, you know, that has nothing to do with the friendship. So no one can see as competition or a threat or, you know, that I'm gonna throw you under the bus, the level of upgrade. Right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think this is what our producer, Ann used to think she doesn't believe in turning colleagues into friends, but she became friends with a former coworker. So they actually met a month before our producer, quit her old job and this person was a new intern. So our producer was a senior there. So they have this like hierarchy, right? Senior junior, she was there to train her, the intern was there to learn so soon after our producer left that job, they lost touch but somehow they reconnected via Instagram months later and then, er, the intern suggested a meet up. So they met up and now they are very, very close friends today. But do you
Speaker 2: think that it's because they reconnected after leaving the job? That's why they got closer. I believe
Speaker 1: there's a huge reason why
Speaker 2: if they were senior and intern at that job, I don't think they could have gotten that close because really, I mean, not even like your boss, right? But someone way more senior than you. Have you ever really been able to be like true friends with them outside of work? They are still your colleagues but they're not at the same level as you, I think you could be friends. But the hesitation there would be in the event that the senior has to tell you off or let's say you get really close or like fire you and you, you guys are friends. Yeah, it is. That has happened. Yeah. So don't be friends with your boss. They might have to fire you one day. But if you
Speaker 1: were true friends, would you be able to understand where he's coming from? The fact that he had to fire
Speaker 2: you? Yes, because it has nothing to do with the friendship. You can't expect that fella to save your ass just because that fella is your friend. That's a bias. But my ego would not allow me to be friends with the person moving on from that. Yeah. It's very like, embarrassing to be fired by your friend. If anyone has such a story or experience, can you share with us?
Speaker 1: Very juicy. Yeah. But what if moving on, he helps you find another job to sort of like salvage himself,
Speaker 2: right. As a friend. Yeah. That's sweet. I think that's a nice, he doesn't have to. Right. I'm just being petty but not. Yeah. That fired me. Right. Christian G, you have had to fire people. Will you have a friend to any of them? I draw a very, very clear line at, you know, obviously not in the media because I don't have to fire anybody in the media. But I draw a very clear line at other things that I do. I see them all as, you know, coworkers and II, I don't want to have any bias or favor. I wouldn't say that, you know, they were friends. Anyone I've had to fire because it just, it just gets complicated. I prefer to keep it professional because it's a lot easier also to, you know, um, get the team going when you're not like all chummy, chummy is friends. They can be friends. I'm more than happy for them to have because they see each other every day. Spend so much time with each other for me to be friends with them. It complicates matters. But you sit down, have lunch sometimes and stuff like that. So, in these settings, what do you talk about? If it's not personal things? I do talk about personal things but I wouldn't say that they are things that are extremely close to your, yeah, they're not extremely close to my heart. They are just personal things like about myself or about how my day was. I did last week what I ate yesterday, things like that, but not like things that I'm struggling with. Right.
Speaker 1: Your employees never have to know that. Right. It's hard
Speaker 2: to show vulnerability. Yeah, I think. Well, but
Speaker 1: you know what if you are in the management position actually, like what Jimmy mentioned just now, it's great for the employees to be friends amongst each other because it actually increases employee engagement. So one workplace study by Gallup found that employees who have a best friend in the office are seven times more likely to be more engaged in their work. But this number drops to just 10% when the employees keep their relationships purely professional.
Speaker 2: Oh, well, yeah, I mean, if you have friends at work, genuine friends, you know, you can hang out with them have lunch, it's a lot less lonely. And I really do think it increases job satisfaction. You're just happier in your job. You want to perform more, be more involved. And apparently, um, statistics have shown that it also means that you take fewer sick days if you have friends at work because if your friends are outside and you take sick days to spend time with them. Right.
Speaker 1: But your friends at the workplace, then you just go to work and talk to them. Exactly.
Speaker 2: Exactly. Let me tell you what happened. Ok. I went on a trip. Right. I came back to work and then the next day Jeremy came back, um, on that day that Jeremy came back to work. So that meant that I haven't seen her in, like, two weeks. Right. I was already going home by the way, mind you, I was already at the lobby and I remember, oh, she's back, I went back out and I sat all the way until like the end of my show. Yeah. To be with her just sitting and like chatting, she was literally on the way out. Like she sent me a video like, oh bye. I was like, hey, I'm here. Yeah. So yes, it, it does make me stay at work. Yes, it makes her stay longer than is necessary at
Speaker 1: work. Social and emotional support. That's what it
Speaker 2: is. There we go. Um It also does increase productivity, right? A researchers at the University of Pennsylvania and Minnesota um confirm that close friendships increase workplace productivity because friends are more committed to each other, they communicate and help each other better, right? Let's see. Let's say, you know, there are some people at work where they just rub you the wrong way or you've rubbed them the wrong way and you can't get along, imagine how hard it is to work with them. I think they throw a staple in your face. It's not, it's just not
Speaker 1: in a context setting, right? Like we do have to produce a lot of show texts for our shows. So I think that it helps that we are actually friends with our coworkers or colleagues because then we will feel more motivated to get this show text done and not just leave it to the other person because there's quite a lot to do and the amount of creativity and the chemistry that has to be executed in the text. It also, it is a test of your friendship. It's easier.
Speaker 2: It's team work, it's friendship. You know, it's having that, that sort of like chemistry with each other as well. You've seen that trend on tiktok right now, right. You know, it started with the, all you need is your best friend and then now it's all you need is your co-worker. And then the next slide is basically like a screenshot of your conversation or something. It's a trend right now.
Speaker 1: Oh, is that a positive thing?
Speaker 2: I don't know. Some conversations I've seen between coworkers include like I am shopping for coffins right now and the friend would be like, please order
Speaker 1: two. So on that note, how do we then deal with work related conflicts or disagreements? Sure. We can be like, you know, good friends shop for coffins together. But at that time when the conflict comes in, how?
Speaker 2: So I'll continue the story about that conflict that happened with my friend and her colleague who is like a mother. The moment that she heard that she wanted to confront her, she wanted to call her and give her a piece of her mind and say like, why are you saying these things about me? It's very hurtful. But she realized that anything that she said over the phone, this colleague could have then twisted because this colleague basically said a lot of lies about her. Right. So what she did was contact her hr department to, to mediate a call, her hr department is not even here. It's in the UK to mediate a call between the both of them. I don't know how it's gone yet. I haven't met her but I will let you know who is this, huh?
Speaker 1: Yeah. But they're so smart of her. No, I
Speaker 2: think it is because emotionally you would want to react. You are hurt. You thought this person was your friend but might not be the wisest situation if you can trust your hr maybe.
Speaker 1: Yeah. But I understand that some people might also feel embarrassed for a third party to know about all the secrets that you've been telling the other person. Right. So, I think it was very brave of her friend to do that.
Speaker 2: I mean, half the world already knows what's another person who can actually help you? Ouch. She listens to this podcast. I'm so sorry. Are we friends? No, you can we be friends?
Speaker 1: Ok. Have you guys ever, like, broken up with a work friend over work related conflicts? Now, I can't relate with this question because it's never happened to me. I don't think so.
Speaker 2: No, I don't have broken up with a work friend. I think if anything you kind of just drift apart as, as friends naturally do right back, colleagues, right back
Speaker 1: to colleagues but not really like break up, break up. Yeah,
Speaker 2: I don't think that's ever happened. It's either like we get along or we were never friends to begin with. It's like for, for example, between the three of us. Right. Um You know, some people are on time, some people are late and this used to be a big thing, right? This used to be quite a big thing because we would be like, you know, don't be late. Like I'm late too, I'm late too. Ok. I have something because we are friends. Sometimes it's hard to bring up these conversations. It's like, can you not be late? Like, can you do this? Can you do that? But I think genuinely we've navigated it very well and I think it's because of Hazy. Hazy has this quality about her where she can say something and be stern about it, but still very friendly because this is how she does it. Ok. Maybe.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Always start baby. No,
Speaker 2: but it's worked in our favor.
Speaker 1: Oh, that's nice. Ok. So next time there's a workplace, this agreement that comes up, just speak to the other person and start with baby.
Speaker 2: They might take you to hr, your hr department will find you.
Speaker 1: Ok. Like if you are very close, like me and, and then you can do that. Ok. Yes.
Speaker 2: Um, I do have a story, however. Yeah, it's not a break up but I did have a friend at work of which I thought we were friends because we were like, go out for lunch, not here. I don't go for lunch here. Ok. So we will go out for lunch. Um, just be stupid, you know, that sort of thing. Like a couple of us all friends. And then I think eventually this person, um, maybe became friends with someone who had issues with me and then suddenly disappear, like one day just stopped talking to me and I was like, oh, ok. Cool. But
Speaker 1: did you tell a lot of your personal stuff to this
Speaker 2: person? Not really personal, personal? I think more like, like friends but not like close, close friends. So you think that the third party basically said some, not so nice things about you to your work friend and, like, influence them to stop hanging out with you? I think. So. This one secondary school? Oh my God. How
Speaker 1: old are you? Yeah. But have you ever thought of, like, asking a work friend?
Speaker 2: Oh, no, I can't be, bother. This kind of things to me is like, you're not valuable enough. Like, who do you think you are? But
Speaker 1: what if like this person has been spreading like malicious stuff about you to other people? Like,
Speaker 2: I don't care. I still have food to eat and I still live my best life. I don't care
Speaker 1: to go lucky. She cares
Speaker 2: me. But have you ever been in a workplace. Right. Um, where, because other people were friends. Right. Other people are work friends that they then were biased towards you because they showed favoritism to each other. Ah,
Speaker 1: bias against you against you. Yes. In my previous workplace I think I had a boss who favored certain people and that was very, very obvious.
Speaker 2: I think that happens in quite a few workplaces, to be honest. Right. But
Speaker 1: I guess she tries to be professional about it. Like, the amount of work issued to each of us is the same. Like, I don't get more just because she favors the other person. So,
Speaker 2: how is it then shown from her
Speaker 1: attitude, I guess? And the words spoken, you can tell, like other people, like, she prefers these other people but, like, not me. But it's ok because I don't get more, I think some
Speaker 2: people because of favoritism and bias, especially with the boss. Right. Some people get away with more at work, more mistakes, less work, you know. Um, more, more because you are favored by your boss. Right. Yeah, that's a different issue altogether though. Huh? Yeah. But like I said, you could be friends with your boss. Right. We're talking colleagues. It could be your boss. True. But
Speaker 1: have you ever shown favoritism towards any of your employees? Maybe the one person who, like, displayed a stellar work attitude?
Speaker 2: I do think that I'm someone that tries to be very, um, encouraging and empowering to everybody. But I do think that I would probably, um, show more, not favoritism but spend more quality time with the person that directly reports to me. Ah, because I want to empower her to empower the empower the rest. Yeah. Do you start with baby? So, today on the agenda? Ok. Actually I just remembered something. So I know someone who is best friends with his boss. Ok. What, how can you be best friends with your boss? I just don't think it's, I think they started off as friends of which they were not exactly working in the same capacity. Ah, ok. Then this person became his boss, but they are best friends. Like besties. I don't know if that affects the work but I know that people have an issue with it, of
Speaker 1: course. Oh,
Speaker 2: I don't see how and why as well because I think the job that he holds is probably, like, is different from the capacity of like other people. So, actually there's not much comparison there but I think people just couldn't take it and they always used it against him for, I think no reason to me because, like, like saying things like, oh, like your best friends, they are just jealous. That's a bit hard. But
Speaker 1: think of it from this point of view if you were an employee and something happened, but that person got away with it. You definitely the first reason that comes to your mind.
Speaker 2: Because they, I mean, yeah, in that situation, of course,
Speaker 1: because I was thinking of myself in my ex workplace where, you know, that boss show favor to like two or three other people. It's tough. It's tough. So it brings ask our next question, how do we draw boundaries amongst workplace
Speaker 2: friendships? I think the first thing that you have to do is be careful what you share. Like the example that, you know, I gave of my friend, she shared a lot of confidential and personal information which was then used against her, not just in the workplace but outside of the workplace. So sad. It is very sad. But while some people may appear kind, that could be a first impression kind of thing, you don't really know them and you wanna be chummy with them because it's like, oh, you know, we all came in at the same time, you know, we were all went for orientation at work. You want to be friends with them but it's better to protect yourself. Yeah. I think sometimes it's inevitable as well because you see them so much. Like, you know, people who work in the office 8, 10 hours, you see them a lot and sometimes you can't put aside your feelings in that time and you want to talk about it and these are the people closest to you. So you think like,
Speaker 1: yeah, I feel the same way as you do. Sometimes I like to share about my personal life, but sometimes it's hard to draw the line, you know, as to how much I can share with this person
Speaker 2: as long as you trust them. You know, like when you meet
Speaker 1: new people, I'm sure you will be one who like, love to share a lot about your, your life as well.
Speaker 2: She got called, I mean, we don't see each other eight hours a day or even four hours a day. Right. So, when we're like in with your, our show partners, imagine if your show partner was someone that you could trust and you couldn't share your life with. That was really sad. That was really tough.
Speaker 1: Just knowing how much you can share with the other person I feel is very important. And I think establishing the type of friendship it will be such as, ok. Are we friends who eat lunch together and then that's it or, uh, do we chat and hang out after work? I think
Speaker 2: maybe recognizing as well if the nature of your job has competitiveness to it has some sort of, only one person can get picked for a certain thing and everyone's competing for it as much as you want to be friends and trust them. Like you really never know. Sometimes in desperate situations, a career progression might be more important than you are and you might be sacrificed at that point. Exactly. Because you're, you have to be fair. Right. And then don't be so naive and think, oh, we are best friends. We are best friends. But at the end of the day, their jobs might take priority over your friendship because, I mean, you guys are all working for the same thing. Yeah. Right.
Speaker 1: So, I think being realistic with workplace dynamics that helps you to feel a lot more at ease as well. Yeah. Ok. Any final words for our listeners on Harsh podcast who are struggling with workplace friendships? Well, I
Speaker 2: think give a good first impression to anyone that you meet at work, right? Because they don't deserve like, you know, you to feel that sort of like competitiveness or that like saltiness that you got this, I didn't get this. You're all working for the same thing at the end of the day and there's enough of the pie to go around. So just be kind, be nice to people and protect yourself.
Speaker 1: Well, I feel like, well being friends with colleagues works for some people. It just doesn't work for others. So just think of it this way. You're lucky if your colleagues become your friends. If they don't, that's fine as well. Just focus on your
Speaker 2: work, right? No, absolutely. And honestly, I think after this conversation is what I realized that, you know, work friends or having friends at work can, can really be a really nice thing like we're friends and we've always spoken about how we've always created chaos on level seven. And I think that's a nice thing, you know, to be able to run from end to end, knowing that there are people I can run into, you know, we used to have a yogurt date every night on, on the same, all kind of like overlap.
Speaker 1: There was one hour
Speaker 2: of overlap, one hour of overlap. So after someone's show and before someone show, we would just meet at the pantry and then share some yogurt and I even make homemade granola. Once
Speaker 1: those were good old times. I really, really enjoy like just stay at the pan talking about our live and then just having a cup of yogurt.
Speaker 2: The simple thing is simple,
Speaker 1: simple but happy. So we hope that this episode has given you some light on how you can handle your workplace, friendships. And if you have any questions, feel free to always just DM us on Instagram at its clarity dot com. That's right.
Speaker 2: You can listen to us on Spotify Me, listen Apple Podcast. Don't forget to turn on the notifications and check us out on youtube as well so that you can see the beautiful set that our team has put together. Yay. Thank
Speaker 1: you so much for listening. Once again, I'm Hazel. I'm a, I'm Jermaine and we'll see you next time.
Speaker 2: Bye bye. Maybe next time we talk about um dating in the workplace. I know who to call