Speaker 1: Happy New Year, Welcome to Men explain. I think you know, I've got the perfect guest for this episode because New Year new me. What better way to ring it in than a fitness trainer? Please welcome look hello
Speaker 2: everybody, pleasure to be here.
Speaker 1: Okay, so Lucas you are like a celebrity trainer almost in some
Speaker 2: sense, right?
Speaker 1: You're not going to say that okay, I'll say it for you, but because this episode we're talking about goals, success and imposter syndrome, I thought would be perfect to bring you on board because not only do you help people with transformation in that sense, it's not just physical, it's also mental. Right?
Speaker 2: Totally, totally, totally agree. Like I mean people always emphasize on that physical element, but you know, a lot of times about molding your character, you know, becoming a better version of yourself and true fitness is really just another medium for that. Yeah, so it's nice. Okay,
Speaker 1: so tell tell us a bit more about how you got started and why you're even in this industry in the first place,
Speaker 2: I think for me, you know, fitness has always been a very big part of my life ever since I was young. You know, I was playing volleyball competitively and I had the opportunity to really just study what I love, which is sports science came out, I didn't know what I want to do, but I want to do something related, something active. So yeah, tried out as a personal trainer, met some good people along the way, trained people from all walks of life and the goal is really to impact life through fitness. Yeah. And you know, like a decade has passed. It's been amazing clients who came on walking stick, The 84 year old lady, you know, and she's jumping now,
Speaker 1: she's jumping now,
Speaker 2: She's jumping, she's doing jumping jacks and moving well and like she inspired a whole bunch of people, you know in the 50s and 60s to start training and this really resonates with me because you know now it's really about aging population.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I like how you brought that up because I think when we think personal trainer, fitness trainer, all that, we always think like all people who want to get, get fit or want to get lean or want to get their ideal body, but we also forget that there is a group of people who may have neglected fitness
Speaker 2: a big
Speaker 1: part of their life and now they have to try and stop getting
Speaker 2: totally, totally, like, I mean elderly training is one thing, but a lot of times people, they were once very active, you know? But life caught up, People get busy with their jobs, which is totally fine, you know, pursuing your dreams then one day they realized that something in my body is not moving, right?
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh, honestly, I'm not gonna lie, that's me, I haven't been working out in months. So I was like a little bit nervous coming to this episode because I think he one
Speaker 2: 100%
Speaker 1: Exactly. Oh God, that'd be horrible. But this journey of you creating your own business, setting up your own gym. That is not easy at all. I mean a lot of us always talk about, we want to do our own thing, like, you know, we want to, this is the year, this is it, we're going to do it. So tell me when you just transition from being like, say a personal trainer to owning your own business, what was the mindset behind that?
Speaker 2: Well, it's a very long story, but it's always about the feeling because, you know, as one person, right? I always believe that only can impact this amount of people as a personal trainer. You have this amount hours. Yes, you can train and inspire, but you know, as you start to do a job a little bit better. People start to appreciate it. Then that's when I get a whole team of like minded people come together, you know, make our impact stronger. Yeah. And we actually open during Covid by the way,
Speaker 1: how did you, why what they blocked out jim's
Speaker 2: you
Speaker 1: started the business knowing that they gyms.
Speaker 2: I wasn't really focused on that. When things start closing, I'm still doing what I do, send a message that we shouldn't hide and we shouldn't let this fear of the virus and everything consume us until we forget about taking care of ourselves. So training fitness can be done anywhere as well, right? So we can actually start doing more training. That's when the whole enthusiasm for fitness came about workouts, everything. So I thought it was great. Of course, you know, all these measures came about things get tough, we have to train outdoors, you have to drag document out, but you really taught us the whole idea about resilience and determination. Yeah. Like just to go out under the hot sun, you know,
Speaker 1: I never do that, like, go on the house and exercise, like, it's not easy,
Speaker 2: It's not easy. Yeah, we're all sweating, you know, we're all like fighting to get the fitness corner. But there was this there was this community spirit outside where jim started to share equipment, share space, you know, respect the public public started to understand that, you know, we needed this place to do what we do to work, and I think generally everything was very positive,
Speaker 1: but the vibe that I'm getting is that overall you're very confident guy, or at least you exude a lot of confidence, you know, and to be able to set up your own business requires a lot of that as well. I mean, I haven't really gone out to aside from some F and B. I haven't gone out to, like, okay, I want to do this, and like, I'm just gonna leave whatever I have behind it and do it. Do you think that confidence is something that you you possess?
Speaker 2: I would say it grew over time. Yeah. Yeah. When I was younger I had a lot of obstacles that I faced as an athlete that many people don't see other than my teammates. You know, I was playing volleyball right? So it was a team sport. But I had a huge ego,
Speaker 1: huge
Speaker 2: man, like
Speaker 1: self aware, he's very self aware
Speaker 2: last. I'm not I'm
Speaker 1: not, I'm just like, do whatever you
Speaker 2: get attention and just yeah,
Speaker 1: just grind,
Speaker 2: don't think just Yeah, but over time, you know, like I was kind of at this point, the star player for my team, I follow this coach by this coach from china who grounds me. Yeah. So literally like, you know, he taught me all the values as an athlete. I think sports is great because they teach you this sort of thing. And I had this point where I was being very arrogant. Yeah, kind of at some point, even look down on the team.
Speaker 1: Do we have pictures and clips from his past to flash up right now? Yeah,
Speaker 2: but it was crazy because we were all tall. We're all very dominating. We jump high. But
Speaker 1: he's really, he's really tall. Like when he came in to say hi, I live when I hugged him, I was at a level. I think it was about the point.
Speaker 2: So literally like it was this experience of like being very dominating. Then I got blocked. I got my balls got defended, my spikes, got
Speaker 1: balls got defended
Speaker 2: like the spike
Speaker 1: spike spike play volleyball, it's
Speaker 2: like attack. You know like
Speaker 1: you're talking about the volleyball, you're the volume
Speaker 2: itself
Speaker 1: so my balls got blocked. I was like what is going, what show are we on again? Like what's the topic again? I forgot
Speaker 2: defend your boss. But anyway, yeah it was really tough because at the night itself you know we lost the game by the way it was a game we were supposed to win.
Speaker 1: It was a it was a big game,
Speaker 2: it was just a group stage game you know and my school N. Y. J. C. We're known for volleyball and every year people expect us to be the final time. So we are almost on the verge of getting out of the group
Speaker 1: stage because
Speaker 2: of me because my team trusted me and I got consumed by my
Speaker 1: ego. Yeah
Speaker 2: it was stuff then the same night my coach bumped into the reserve team right and I was still being arrogant, I was like how did you do this to
Speaker 1: me? Right,
Speaker 2: so I against my my teammates and
Speaker 1: in that moment it felt like everything was against you and you
Speaker 2: just wanted to prove a point and I did you know we won the main team and just with me the other side. But then after that my coach gathered us all together right? Just sit down, you know, very intimate setting and just directed it to me. Okay. Yeah and you told me like he
Speaker 1: gave it to, you gave
Speaker 2: it to me, but he gave it in a very different way, not like a scolding way. He said like, you know, like what are you doing? Like you were never like that when I first saw you,
Speaker 1: my God, we have to queue some emotional music right now.
Speaker 2: You know, it's
Speaker 1: so character turning point
Speaker 2: totally totally and say that you know is you know, this is a team sport, it's not about you only right? Yeah.
Speaker 1: And that hit you hard. I
Speaker 2: mean I cried, I cried for my team. You know, I was this guy who is so much you just trying to point out that my team is surprisingly they were all very supportive. Yeah. So at that time really just pull everything out and Like that really, that was at my lowest point in my prime. I was my lowest, I got bench but my coach gave me a chance to actually make it up for the next game. So there was one last ball I went in, it was like 25, if I got the point we want, then we proceed, he substitute me in and I scored.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he sent
Speaker 2: me a message in chinese. Yeah. So basically it says like, you know, like
Speaker 1: you have to translate one spike,
Speaker 2: I got back my confidence and I proved my worth. Yeah. So that moment was pivotal. We went on to win next year. He made me captain everyone. Yeah. So like why I thought about this moment is because every time when I'm feeling down, I think I feel defeated. You just think about it. Like I was once like that, you know, and stuff what my coach did to me was really like this mentorship that was like to me it's a huge lesson then. No,
Speaker 1: thank you for sharing that story with us because I know that, you know, in moments like that it really shapes who you are and you know, when, like you mentioned earlier on, whenever you revisit certain memories like that you still get emotional. You know, I can see that it's still very fresh for you, even though it was probably like many years ago,
Speaker 2: More than 10 years ago,
Speaker 1: you still carry it with you. I think a lot of athletes
Speaker 2: have that moment in
Speaker 1: that. Yeah.
Speaker 2: And because whenever there's always this moment in you that you
Speaker 1: always something,
Speaker 2: something like you just recall and I did it before, I can definitely do it again.
Speaker 1: So on that note, you know, clearly you have learned a lot and you're more self aware now, you know, you're more mature as well in that sense, which is great. Everyone matures and grows up. What is your understanding then of imposter syndrome when you go into the industry when you started your own business, when you think back on these moments, you reflects you want to be a better person, what is your understanding of
Speaker 2: that? I think is something that's very prevalent these days. Yeah, yeah, but um I feel that it's just this state of like self doubt, lack of belief and maybe undermining your worth when you are actually worth that much more. Yeah, and I feel that this world, you know, like it can be translated into so many things, you know, you did not be the most successful person, not be the, you know, the most famous person or not be exactly the best at what you do, but you just need to know that you do your best, right, then. I think that is really worth commending, What do you think about it?
Speaker 1: I'm not gonna lie, I definitely definitely visit that headspace once in a while and I don't know what your star sign is, but I'm Capricorn, as I said like many times and I'm very work driven, so a lot of my goals revolve around career and you know, when we talk about goals in the new year and stuff like that, and also successes of what we have achieved. I feel like I tie a lot of my self worth to work related success or what related goals and sometimes I neglect my personal life in a lot of that sense and that's why also, like, you know, when I look back, I've had so many relationships, right? But none of them really sort of came to a conclusion in a sense, like I never really settled down. I never really you know, you know what I mean, right? Because I always feel like I put that in the back seat, not that I'm putting my relationship in the backseat right now. I think that as we grow older or we mature
Speaker 2: change for you.
Speaker 1: Thanks for interviewing me by the way. So no, I wouldn't say what changed in a sense. I think in a way being in the industry for quite some time already, I realized that you cannot win all the battles, right? You have to be very selective when it comes to it. You win some you lose some and you have to make a choice sometimes as well. So like you mention early on, you know, when you're younger, you had more ego, you have more pride and stuff like that. And I'm sure that also affected your decision making for me. I used to always take it very personally if I didn't get a job or like, you know, I'm very competitive, so if likewise, I don't play sports clearly, and I cannot play team sports. But anyway, the point is, it doesn't feel great when you lose,
Speaker 2: no one
Speaker 1: clearly no one likes to lose, right? And I also like to win, you know, and this competitive streak in me was quite self destructive in a sense that I always saw it if I didn't get this or didn't score a trial, I didn't do that, I was like why, why someone else better than me? And I always saw it that way, but I realized as we mature and we grow in the industry sometimes it's not all about us, you know, it's not always about you, likewise, you know, with your story about the sports and all that, you also came to that conclusion, you realize that moment right?
Speaker 2: Totally. I mean once we start comparing people, there's always like no limit to how that person might be better because I also go for some castings, you know and doable acting and stuff. So when I first entered this industry as well to try oh my God, it was not the most encouraging because
Speaker 1: it can be very toxic in your own mind, right? Because
Speaker 2: you might do the best audition and stuff, but the producer might choose another person for another reason, that's right, and it's not nothing against you. Then you start to accept that you have to
Speaker 1: shift your mindset,
Speaker 2: your mindset and just know that you give your best, that's all that matters. Right?
Speaker 1: So, I'm curious to know because you know, in our industry, in the media it can be competitive, it can be toxic. Yes, but in any other industry as well, it's yours. Okay, is there that same level of competitiveness that could give rise to you sort of falling for you know an impostor syndrome moment every once in a
Speaker 2: while? Well, I think um there is actually like in a sense, like we always want to be better than another, like in a sense, like especially in fitness, you know, you're always striving to look better. You always trying to hit your pr
Speaker 1: that's really tough.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're always the goal is always not to be at the plateau, Right? Yeah. So for trainers, we always have this in us and there's always this idea about how can we do better than the other and sometimes you might go another way, but I think generally for us, everyone is working towards the direction of like building this community, such as when everyone starts to work out when everyone starts to train the share of the pie is bigger and generally like, fitness and health is great for everyone. So now I feel that, you know, with the covid pandemic, everything, we are all working towards that, more gyms opening up more people want to be trainers to inspire life. So I think it's great. Do
Speaker 1: you have a lot of female trainers?
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Industry in general,
Speaker 2: not as many as guys. Yeah, definitely like, but definitely there's more that is coming up and I think they bring a whole different like, approach to training
Speaker 1: in what way?
Speaker 2: I'll say they're coaching star. Yeah, because for guys, you know, we tend
Speaker 1: to do that push up now,
Speaker 2: but it's not
Speaker 1: really
Speaker 2: like that. I know some people who are very gentle, like really like gentle, giant, kind of some trainers who that and but what we learned and what I observed from female trainers that they show of course a lot more empathy. Yeah, they can, you know that soft approach is very important and we use that, you know, and for training and for male trainers we always tell them that you know, we always have to relate, we have to understand because sometimes it's not that you
Speaker 1: don't want to go forward,
Speaker 2: it's not that you don't want to push it just that maybe you had a very long day, you know, you just don't have that in you today, but you made it to training, you want that first battle come here just do a simple session and this adrenaline, this endorphins
Speaker 1: make you feel better
Speaker 2: totally, and that is really considered good session. It's not always about having the most like high calorie burning session, having the food pumpin. Yeah, and I feel it's great now things are changing.
Speaker 1: It's nice to see that because I do notice, you know, you guys do a lot of social media, you know you have a lot of content going out as well, that's why I always wondered how competitive was that is that industry, You know,
Speaker 2: I would say that everyone is doing their their content and I mean now, you know like digital content is very important to really reach out to people because people will know who you are, but for myself, for our team, it's always about promoting the idea about fitness as a lifestyle. Yeah, so we don't don't really like to go towards the side of making things too difficult, making things too like you must do this in order to get this result. It's more like you can you can try this, you know, if this
Speaker 1: helps you time on your own, That's good.
Speaker 2: You know, like this is our take on it, but it doesn't mean that the other method is bad. Yeah. And if you like it quit, you know share your friends and
Speaker 1: that sounds actually okay because the reason why I brought that up was I feel like there were some moments earlier on in my career that really I still revisit also once in a while in not such a good way, but you know, hearing about how competitive it is as well in your industry in mind. I mean obviously every industry has its toxic side and the positive side. But I remember this one moment, this was quite quite some time ago. I was still very junior. I was very new at the time and I was still kind of figuring my way out trying to figure out what is it I want to specialize in what's my branding and branding I'm sure is so important,
Speaker 2: right? Like Sonja's branding is like so good. Thank you really, really, really respect the things that you do and stuff. I feel that really resonates with her. Thank you. This is really being authentic.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly. So that, that's authenticity, right, is so important. Being genuine, being real. But one thing that really impacted me quite some time ago was when a male colleague not in the company anymore from, from a long time ago, he was kind of gossiping to other people saying Sonja will only make it because she looks a certain way and that's it. And he was like, she's not even that good or whatever. And when I heard it, you know what travels, you know, it came back. I was very upset, okay, at first I was extremely upset. I was like, how dare you like this bit, this whole, this is okay, you can leave that out. I was like, this bit like, how do you say that, whatever, But as I moved along in the industry and I revisit that moment and like, you know what, from that moment onwards, right? I felt like they need to prove myself increased by tenfold and I wasn't sure whether that was a good or bad thing, because I know for a lot of women, we also feel like we need to prove a lot more in the industry at the workplace, in our line of work, you know, in career and stuff like that, and I hate to see it that, you know, when people say, oh, she's only cute or she's got a good body or she's got a good face, that's why she's going to make it like that, but it is so much more than just physicality, right? And how you look that will take you far. So in a sense when I look back at that moment, I don't know whether that caused me to develop more of an imposter syndrome than before.
Speaker 2: I think women tend to have it more like harder than men in
Speaker 1: a way you feel, why do you feel that way?
Speaker 2: I'll say a little bit more in a sense like your self worth? Probably you feel me need to actually prove your worth more
Speaker 1: right? Yeah,
Speaker 2: guys, you know, we always, we have a lot of ego
Speaker 1: and you walk into a room with confidence right? We're
Speaker 2: always about the ego, you don't break my ego, you know, that masculine approach and stuff and I guess for us, you know, we feel that there is this kind of pressure to actually perform at a certain level so that we can match,
Speaker 1: especially if you were from a background of competitive sports and that definitely highlights it more.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I really like, I feel that there's this but I think it's about just understanding our differences and finding like learning from each other right in order to actually try because I do see a lot of like female entrepreneurs and stuff, I look at them and they manage a team in a different way Yeah, they somehow has this in them that they are very enterprising for sure, yeah and I learned a lot, I learned a lot just by observing just like looking at the way they do things, so it is a very different learning experience,
Speaker 1: but do you feel like also perhaps you know these insecurities and moments of self doubt that you have, you don't necessarily open up too much about it, you guys try and
Speaker 2: like mask
Speaker 1: that up with overcompensating,
Speaker 2: you don't want to appear weak, you know, I mean
Speaker 1: especially
Speaker 2: I would say as an entrepreneur, you know it's harder to showcase
Speaker 1: this vulnerable
Speaker 2: because you know when you're vulnerable you always tend to think that people want to take advantage of you and for me I was very vulnerable before, so I felt that you know someone just, someone told me like it's okay to show this side of, you can't
Speaker 1: always be the tough guy,
Speaker 2: people then know that you actually have feelings for them, you know, you actually care about them because sometimes you know as entrepreneurs, although you want to care for people, you have to make decisions that are tough, very tough and sometimes you know as a stuff you might not understand why, but I always think like there's different ways I approach things like for my guys, you know the team always feel that reasoning is key, you always have to explain why I do certain things, you know, why is it not done the other way and you understand and guys very broad and once you understand totally no qualms about it, ladies, I feel that I will spend some time, you know, like asking them how they feel about it, you know, what can be done differently, you know? So there's this like, you know, different approach. Yeah,
Speaker 1: and that's fine, it's totally
Speaker 2: fine, it's totally fine, and that's just the way things work and that's how I observe, you know, and we learn from each other, it's nice, you know, it's a process like to me, fatherhood has really like shaped me in another way, you know, you told me about a lot about empathy,
Speaker 1: I'm sure has softened you
Speaker 2: totally, like, you know, there's no module that issue about parenting,
Speaker 1: so since we're going into fatherhood and parenting right at this point, have you had moments of self doubt when it came to being a good dad, being a good role model, a good example,
Speaker 2: totally, totally, because it's like when my girl just came into this world, I was like what
Speaker 1: do you do, what I do?
Speaker 2: How do I hold her? You know, like, is it okay if she react this way, you know, what is her next growing like, milestone and is so much, there's so much like, question marks and me and my wife were just really figuring out, I think our parents would say the same thing that Yeah, but it's so incredible because it teaches you so many things, it really teaches you so many things and once you see that happening, you realize that they have their own journey to follow, they have their own like milestones to hit, just go at their own pace, and this resonates with what I do. So yeah, so it seems like when you manage a team and stuff, let everyone grow at their own pace, you know, like show them and recognize their efforts in different milestones and you'll support them in their progression in every single way. Yeah,
Speaker 1: and you've been through different phases of life, right? You know, first it was that competitive sportsman, then business owner now, also your dad, so you've hit all those milestones as, so we call it in life, right? I'm going to ask you a very simple question if you had to rate your confidence level now from a scale of like 1 to 10, what would it be versus back then,
Speaker 2: back then it was like
Speaker 1: 12, 12, 10,
Speaker 2: but I'm just like, trying to be too full myself now, I would still say I'm quite a 10 out of 10 person in a sense, like, I don't really like to doubt myself, it's not okay, it's not that I don't I have moments like that, but I always feel that, you know, as long I give my best, you know, that's really enough, Yeah, and it just, it just because now I have so many roles to play, right? Yeah. I always have to be this pillar, you know,
Speaker 1: strong person,
Speaker 2: whatever I do. And it helps when I'm so supportive. Your parents, I'm the only son, I'm the only child. So now they're retired, I support them, my wife, you know, my team, you know, the sole owner of the business and stuff. So everyone's relying on me. Yeah. And I feel that I have no chance to really let go and take it easy. I'm a bit hard myself, just like you, I
Speaker 1: AM hard on myself 100%.
Speaker 2: It just feels that there's this expectation on me then causes me to be there every day. It most me to be stronger and more confident and just take the leap of faith because if I don't, if I don't set my an example, how do I expect my team to follow?
Speaker 1: I'm yeah, I can relate to what you're saying. I mean on a different level, I'm also an only child. I support my family as well. There are moments where I'm like, I don't know if you know I can do this and also pursue what I want to do and you know what I mean? I don't want to call it, it's not baggage, it's your responsibilities and it's also our choice to do what we do, right? But in certain moments I while people think I'm a very confident person at least that's what people perceive. I actually have many moments in a day where I just wallow in self doubt and I'm like, that's something
Speaker 2: that I can't tell, I can't tell
Speaker 1: You because obviously, you know, on social is not what you see, right? I mean what you see is not exactly 100% the truth, right? And
Speaker 2: what moments in your day that you know, like before,
Speaker 1: I think I over think like, okay, what am I going to do in five years or 10 years and am I on the right path there?
Speaker 2: It
Speaker 1: plagues me every day, you know, I don't know why, but I don't know whether it's that I was going to ask you, is it a man versus woman thing? Like is because I'm an over thinker actually
Speaker 2: I have that too. Like, you know, like, you know, like what I do in five years, 10 years time, you know how the industry change, you
Speaker 1: know, so
Speaker 2: much tech, you know, will I be able to live up to that expectation then we'll be able to innovate now to make sure that I can have that hit start then
Speaker 1: and then from there I start to spiral into am I doing OK now I am I am I the best at what I do now, you know, can I do more, is this? It's like sometimes I question before like is this it is this the peak? Is this all that
Speaker 2: never ending? Like path of chasing.
Speaker 1: Exactly. Like we're always chasing something that
Speaker 2: really well, that's why we feel tired actually. I have that if you're talking about that. No, I definitely have that. I tend to like chase a lot and sometimes you also feel that, you know, I mean you want to be the best fitness trainer and stuff
Speaker 1: constituency that.
Speaker 2: What does that mean? You know, people say like, you know, have some haters, you know, like, you know, this guy only can train celebrities and stuff like that, but then I didn't start off training celebrities. Yeah. And it's just a journey that I now have the opportunity to like, okay, I'm going to do it well despite everyone's hectic scale, I'm gonna try to make it work whatever it is. Very important to actually like work on ourselves. Now focus on the present, you know, except for as I asked for what we are and just slowly as long you're chasing that goal that you set for yourself, step by step, even just a slight improvement, a slight milestone. We have to really comment ourselves and give ourselves a pat on the back. So
Speaker 1: you sound like you've always nipped in the butt when it came to moments of self doubt because sometimes I will spiral mentally and then I'll have no conclusion. Then the next day I'll just wake up feeling miserable all over again. So how do you deal with in moments of self doubt, How do you deal with
Speaker 2: it? I'll say I always like talk to myself like in a sense like
Speaker 1: isn't only shouting, we always, I don't know, we have not talked to nobody, no friends like when I was Yeah,
Speaker 2: but I think it shapes us, you know like in a sense like okay what I'm gonna do, I'm not going to rely on my parents, I'm trying to face it myself and like I guess that really helps you just reflect, you know, you start to like think about like what lessons you have learned, you know, is this as bad last time? You know it's actually just okay, this is just another challenge that we face now and I can overcome it then I can overcome it now if I can't ask for support. So like my wife supports me, you know, I talk, what
Speaker 1: did she do? She
Speaker 2: Yeah, she does marketing for airline company and she's a very different person comment to me, she's really
Speaker 1: balances you out
Speaker 2: totally, totally. I always ask her about things and sometimes she's quite tired about hearing me talk about this stuff like very boring like work stuff, but she really balances me out in a sense like you know she encourages me to think about the other side of things, the emotional side of things, you know, like maybe you can try it the other way, maybe it's not always good to go on figure a way out, you know I mean you're fine, you're doing good, okay, take a break,
Speaker 1: I think it's good to have a supportive partner as well who gives a different perspective friends
Speaker 2: as well as well.
Speaker 1: Exactly, absolutely. Like sometimes when I um yeah, and bit about my day to my partner, sometimes I see his eyes just glaze over and he's probably like, oh my God, this is the same thing again. But sometimes, you know, you just, you don't need a solution, you just need someone who is listening and who is understanding and who may give you a more practical point of view or something
Speaker 2: that you don't need someone to be there to just feel the answer just here, be listening here and you know sometimes true that talk, you start to realize something about yourself and you figure out the answer.
Speaker 1: So I'm curious, you know, being a business owner yourself currently have you know, we talked about self doubt, but have you ever thought what if I fail? Like what if what I set out to do doesn't work out at some point. Have you ever, do you ever think of those
Speaker 2: moments? Have you
Speaker 1: had to deal with moments of failure
Speaker 2: definitely. Like there's so many points where you feel so down, but it's always like, I can never let this fear consume me this fear is going to inspire me Yeah, fear of failure, like I cannot afford to,
Speaker 1: you
Speaker 2: know, so like even before we go down there without, right? It's always about like psyching myself up, you know, like to really create this moment, this energy in myself, that how do I feel then, you know, this is just a down moment. I'll get through it, I really will get through it.
Speaker 1: So there's a lot of self
Speaker 2: talk that really, like, you know, spurs me on, like to say that there's nothing I can't handle. Yeah. If someone else had been through this before, they might have it worse. This is just another obstacle,
Speaker 1: you know? Yeah. I used to think that I was a perfectionist like my entire life, but I realized as I grew a bit older that perhaps I'm more afraid of failure than actually wanting to achieve perfection in that sense.
Speaker 2: Why do you think that there's this like part of you that exists in terms of the failure?
Speaker 1: Okay, so I would say when I started out doing F&B just a couple of years back, right? And it was very happening, you know, it was like 2018, peak of things, you know, I was really doing so much and I was like so excited to start a new venture like with new partners and people that I'm excited to do a business with and things were going so good, right, we're full house every night, people were queuing up, you know, just to get into the bar on weekends and stuff like that, Then the pandemic hit, right?
Speaker 2: And it
Speaker 1: changed everything because we weren't really we're not exactly a food focused place. It was also like lifestyle is also a bar
Speaker 2: interaction.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's the atmosphere, it's, you know, the music, the lights, the everything right? And when that happens, we struggle, like we really struggled to make a comeback and eventually we decided, you know, I think we're gonna close this chapter and move on to something different maybe now, maybe in the future, maybe in a year or two, who knows? Right? So we still have that partnership, we still have, you know, the company shares and all that. But we decided, I think this is not working out in this area
Speaker 2: anymore and
Speaker 1: I think we're gonna call it a day, surprisingly in that moment, I think I took it quite well because the reason why I almost didn't want to do a business in F M. B in the first place was that I was afraid, oh my gosh, what if we fail? What if no one comes, what if we closed? What am I going to say to like the press or in an interview? Like what am I going to do? Right? And I was overcome by all those thoughts, but in that moment, I was like, you know what, I'm just gonna stop this Self doubt, I'm just gonna try. I'm just going to give it a shot. Besides, I'm doing it with a bunch of partners, right? Support. Yeah, we have support and eventually we decided collectively let's move on to something else. It's not serving us anymore. We got hit so bad during the pandemic. So let's just move so
Speaker 2: many like restaurants because in my neighborhood, yeah, we have so many like restaurants and we've seen the whole change, you know, from a bustling street. Everything got so quiet. It felt so weird.
Speaker 1: Yes, exactly where you are is the entire stretch, right? It's all like nightlife is all like fine dining restaurants. Every
Speaker 2: time when we walk to the gym we always see people gathering, you know, they're having a good time bustling music everywhere. But at that point, you know, the covid heightened alert the whole stretch, It was so quiet,
Speaker 1: want to change
Speaker 2: all my neighbors, you know, restaurant owners and stuff, you know, we talk to them, you know, and they were all very like I would say they already determined that everyone was quick to take away.
Speaker 1: Yes, Yes, I saw
Speaker 2: this fine dining restaurant, they just let everything outside the menu, you know to say, then people come in to do like take away orders and stuff so they just really innovative,
Speaker 1: try to innovate.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so really respect to everyone push through this time. But those who like, you know, decide not to, it's totally fine. It's just like pivoting, right? Yeah, pivoting.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So, so in that sense it was a big turning point for me as well when it came to co owning a business, right? You have to be prepared that it may not work out. And to me it's like I don't ever want to, you know, stumble upon a moment where it feels like I failed, but you don't have to see it as failure. Right? Totally,
Speaker 2: totally. It's a learning experience because now, you know, you and your partners might come up with something even more exciting when the opportunity comes when someone has the idea. It might just click and you might just use your previous experience like this. Yeah. And you might just elevate and escalate everything up.
Speaker 1: And I think, you know, if there's one thing that I've learned in being in this industry as well, there's so many ups and downs, right? You could be the talk of the town today and you could be canceled tomorrow. I've had a few close brushes with it. I'm not going to lie. You know, and and it's okay. It's New Year, New me don't have to bring it up in the past. But it's certain things that you've experienced that will also shape you for who you are in the coming years, right? And honestly I am actually in a weird to step away right now thankful that I've been through some really down moments in my life and you see the real people that will stand by you and who are genuine and the clients who will back you up knowing who you are as a real authentic person
Speaker 2: Yes, I think as a business owner, So you tend to start to trust lesser people along the way, but you know, along that process you also start to realize, you know, like you have this support system with you, right? And for yourself, just curious like, you
Speaker 1: know, celebrity
Speaker 2: DJ, everyone wants to know, right? Like what's your, when you first got into this industry, you know, and you see your career rise and stuff, Everything everyone wants to know, like, you know, how do you deal with all this, like a self or will you be more more mindful that you have to portray yourself? You have to put yourself in a certain way, you know, social media, you know, persona, whenever I talk to you have to answer a certain way that, you
Speaker 1: know, the very real answer is that I didn't give a sh it at the time, and I still feel like social media should be an extension of you and not a completely different persona altogether. Um obviously I took some time to understand all this, right? Because when I just joined the industry, it was the beginning of instagram for example, like it started becoming very big in Singapore and at that point I was like, like I have to join another app, like what, you know, you're just like your groaning about it, right? But I don't regret it obviously because it has become such a big part of our career in our life, but you're right to ask whether, you know, I built some sort of a wall or some sort of
Speaker 2: facade
Speaker 1: that people only see that, but doing this podcast, even doing my own radio program or doing whatever it is on social media, I try to keep some of myself in it regardless, regardless of what the client wants. They may want something that's completely not you, but you still have to find a way to weave in a little bit of yourself and not lose yourself completely right. And I notice that in this journey, this very interesting journey in this industry, that is not for everyone. I've seen people come and go because they cannot kind of find that balance so they cannot handle that and that's completely fine as well, it's okay to do something and then in a few years you realize this isn't for me and move on to something else that will make you happier because eventually you want to make decisions for yourself, not just for everyone around you or for the sake of right?
Speaker 2: I don't agree. Like we all want to build a world that is more authentic, right? We all want to see that side of each other that is really, you know, our daily lives and you know, although of course brands look at our social media for like engagements and stuff, but we want them to recognize us for what we are right? You know, we don't want to suddenly do something that this is not really me. I'm not actually very funny, but I'm doing like,
Speaker 1: oh my
Speaker 2: God, one week to prepare for this, not what you want us to just be ourselves, right? Yeah. So I start to recognize that also, I always thought that, you know, something now, these have Tiktok and everything. Should I create like fitness content? That is very funny. Yeah. Is this the trend now?
Speaker 1: Like, what can I do?
Speaker 2: Because I'm not a very funny person, you know, and stuff. I take things quite seriously. I'm
Speaker 1: not, I'm not saying that you don't take things seriously? Clearly he does, but like you're a serious person. You don't feel like you're a funny person? I think
Speaker 2: my humor comes in another sense,
Speaker 1: which is fine. So what is your type of, you were like, I don't know, like you like sarcastic dark cuba like
Speaker 2: not even those kind of like maybe a more intimate setting? I don't even like to, I don't suddenly crack a joke out of nothing. It's just me. But then you say you have to portray this
Speaker 1: more slapstick, is it? That's totally
Speaker 2: and like, do I want to create content like that? You know, then I tried, you know, some friends and stuff they did with me. I was like, okay, that's cool, that's on his profile, that's cool, but do I want something like that, you know, like I felt that I wanted to do something more. Yeah. Yeah. So so like, you know, I tried to do some stuff that's really related, you know, in terms of like fitness, but it's more me. Yeah. Yeah, so
Speaker 1: it works, it works. If it doesn't then it doesn't right, It's not necessarily a point of failure, I'm
Speaker 2: not doing it. So that really want to get viral or anything like that. Just me and I just want to showcase this on me. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I think, you know, you brought up a good point like being going viral for example. I think that was a point where um it was very toxic for a lot of people, especially in our industry because we're so fixated on, we must make the next thing go viral. Okay, if not we didn't do our job or like we failed to do our job, you know, that kind of thing. And I realized that when we joined Tiktok, when we joined, when reels came about or like even when I g started getting more more prevalent in Singapore, right? If our photo doesn't get enough likes or what we're like, should I feel on this
Speaker 2: one now? Because the algorithm is better.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly. So, you know, it costs a lot of us to kind of spiral into that very dark space, which please do not spiral okay, it's not worth it.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I think you just create content that is, you have fun of it of course with friends and stuff, but
Speaker 1: it's easier said than done though. I think it's a journey to get there.
Speaker 2: I'm always exploring, like to me now, I'm just like trying to see what kind of future so called angles where to put this and that account photo, whatever. Then it's so tiring sometimes if I spend too much time on it
Speaker 1: before you wait, six hours went by
Speaker 2: and I was like, yeah, I see some other like influencers and stuff. My friends and stuff, they're very casual about it. Don't
Speaker 1: think too much, just
Speaker 2: like you're eating a buffet and you're filming yourself the next moment. It's like content is up shout out to Royce lee
Speaker 1: who doesn't take things too seriously, totally,
Speaker 2: totally. Yeah. And I think he just, by his actions, you teaches me all this.
Speaker 1: Okay, that's good.
Speaker 2: So I thought really quite cool, you know, a lot of people around me that they share and I understand that you select as a personality that's always pressure every day you're wasting about content, you know, everyone else. So you always want to, you know, do something you mean a friend first thing and let's do a Tiktok first sketches trend,
Speaker 1: but we have never said that by the way. Friends and my friends would kill me if I ever said that because not all of them are in the industry, we just want to chill out and catch up said that they'd be like, get out of here, that's the most
Speaker 2: important right to chill to like meet up bond and have like real conversations.
Speaker 1: So to conclude in just a short while would you say that the people around you really also shaped you and helped you develop like a more for example, healthier response to failure. Two goals to how you see.
Speaker 2: I think
Speaker 1: accesses your
Speaker 2: milestones. I like to really like surround myself with like minded people, positive people, you know, who understands you and who are not afraid to give you harsh feedback. Also if you need Yeah, I think these are people who really keep you grounded no matter you know how successful or how famous you get, you know, I think we all need this bunch of people. Yeah. And you know the day just focus on ourselves, right? Give our best and that everything else take place? No,
Speaker 1: no, I completely agree with you. I think that we are truly, you know, a reflection of the closest five or 10 people that we are with constantly and that also reflects on how we deal with things, be it success is how we celebrate them, be it, how we, you know, mark out our goals and how we handle failures or how we also deal with milestones in life. I think that is so important that we surround ourselves
Speaker 2: and don't be afraid to speak to people, you know, for support for help, anything. I think everyone's willing to learn. Everyone wants to help, right? Yeah. And everyone also wants to see each other be successful, right? Not
Speaker 1: everyone wants to see everyone successful,
Speaker 2: but that's one
Speaker 1: or two haters out there will probably be like,
Speaker 2: it's important to support
Speaker 1: those that matter to you.
Speaker 2: I completely agree. So to everyone, you know, like new year. Yeah. Yeah. But also like I would say,
Speaker 1: I would say New year improved me,
Speaker 2: improved me really? Like continuing what has from last year, you know, take the lessons that we learned, right? Yeah. And just absorb it really resonate inside, internalize it. Then take time slowly, you know, strive towards the next milestone. Yeah. I
Speaker 1: figured the trick is I don't actually set a New year's resolution
Speaker 2: actually. I don't, I
Speaker 1: don't, I don't, I don't know why I stopped doing it a long time ago because I realized I never achieve anything on that list. Like if I just go into the year with like a fresh, good, positive perspective and I look back and I'm like, wow, achieve so much. You look back and you're like, wow, like, right? You know,
Speaker 2: sometimes people ask me that I'm like, hmm, I'll try to say something, right? Yeah, I'll try to think about it, then I'll come with an answer. But this year's my answer is next year, maybe two more babies
Speaker 1: really is your wife watching this right now?
Speaker 2: She should watch this because I heard that one more baby. One more gym maybe. Yeah, so we try, we try so like this, but it's not something that you definitely want to make it happen and stuff. It's just like,
Speaker 1: it's like in your peripheral vision. But if it happens, you
Speaker 2: just go with the flow and for me that's that. All
Speaker 1: right, thank you so much for joining us on this
Speaker 2: for having me, everyone.
Speaker 1: You know, I'm so glad. We also saw a different side of you because on instagram, all I see is like
Speaker 2: two
Speaker 1: more reps and some of our mutual friends, you know, saying like, oh, I got totally like killed by Lucas today at the gym that like, oh man, this guy is savage.
Speaker 2: People will see that side of me. But then, you know, we spend one hour together, you know, we're only posting that moment up. But there's a lot more conversations, which I hold close to my heart. That's what I would like to be a trainer because I like I enjoy the conversations, the lesson I learned from
Speaker 1: connections,
Speaker 2: my clients teach me so many things, you know, they support me in this entire journey a deck as a trainer.
Speaker 1: Honestly, likewise, I feel the same way about our podcast. Like I learned so much from, well men obviously I always say they have a lot of explaining to do, but we learned so much from each other. Thank you so much for joining us here today and for not pressurizing me to go to the gym. Thank you so much for listening to this episode of Men explain if you enjoyed it, please hit the follow button. We are on Spotify and Apple podcast
Speaker 2: also follow its clarity dot code on instagram and Tiktok For more content like this, See you next episode. Bye!