Speaker 1: Hi charlie, how are you doing?
Speaker 2: I'm good. I'm feeling good right now. I'm like, I got my head on a pillow, everything relaxing. I get to talk to jean life is good.
Speaker 1: You look super duper comfy. I love that you were in Singapore for your voice notes tour back in 2018 pre covid days. Do you remember much about your time here?
Speaker 2: I do. I remember I stayed in a hotel which had a lot of layers to it. It was very architecturally impressive hotel right on the water. And I remember it was ridiculously hot and humid.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's pretty much the same thing now,
Speaker 2: is it Right now?
Speaker 1: It is.
Speaker 2: But I remember that show. I love, it's one of the finest memories on the voice notes store. I also just can't believe it's been four years crazy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So congratulations on a light switch. It just dropped what a bop it is. Um, I know it's been out for months on Tiktok and you documented the whole creation process and the fans got involved as well. What made you decide to do that?
Speaker 2: Well, I mean, I haven't put, I hadn't put out an album or a song for that matter in such a long time that I just knew that it was going to take me a long time to actually make the song. So I just figured why not just take them along for the ride and see the, the progress of it all. I kind of inadvertently made them feel like they wrote the song with me, which is just a great thing.
Speaker 1: I just saw the video last night, loved it. I mean, I think I see charlie Putin like a totally different light. Um it feels like you're lighter and having fun with everything. Is that how you're feeling about things right now? Your music?
Speaker 2: I am and I'm glad you noticed that too. My whole motto for this album that's coming out and with light switch, it's clearly shape as it is just to truly be myself. I almost want to overshare, I want to share all the songs that are coming out on the album. I want to show share everything that's going on in my life and I don't want to be so precious and hold on to things for so long and I just want to fill them in on everything. I'm like the anti artist right
Speaker 1: now. I was watching you on your livestream last night before the video played out and you look like you just woke up. I mean, I love this chill side of charlie. I mean, I'm digging it,
Speaker 2: thank you. I mean, the hair is long, I'm relaxing on a pillow. I think a lot for a long time in my career. I was very buttoned up and uncomfortable and I just, I don't know, I don't want to be that anymore. I want to be truly me and light switches a quirky song. I'm a quirky person. I'm very musical song, which I considered myself to be that as well. So light switch. The song is me as a song. It's my personality wrapped into a song.
Speaker 1: Now you're known as the guy who pretty much can make music out of any sound that you hear. Is there something out there that you haven't used that's going to inspire the next song or something or that you're just going to pull out of somewhere?
Speaker 2: I haven't thought of it. You know, I didn't, when I made light switch, I didn't think that it was gonna be a light switch. I, I just knew that I wanted a sound effect in the song because I um, I hadn't heard a sound effect used in a pop song in a really long time. And then I saw the light switch and I was like, oh, I'll turn me on like the lights with and then, and then not just stupid but fun. I don't know, I can't think of it, but I definitely do want to use more sound effects and music.
Speaker 1: Can you tell us anything about this new album coming out later this year? I, I know you talked about the fact that it's your most vulnerable work ever. Can you share anything else for the fans?
Speaker 2: I'm going to call it Charlie. It has 12 songs and there are songs that you've heard on Tiktok that are absolutely on the album. There's a song called her that's hilarious, tears on my piano loser. There's a first time for everything. These are all songs that I've teased on Tiktok that I will put on the album. And if you would have told me two years ago that I just ran off a bunch of names, uh, with, with jean on the radio showing like about all my songs. I would have, I would have not believed me because I would've been like, oh, I have to not tell my fans until the album is out and they and and surprise them. Everybody. I want to fill everybody in early.
Speaker 1: Nice. It's refreshing. It's fun for us to on the radio. We can talk about it. We can, we can sell all we want about charlie and we know some information about you right now about the new album.
Speaker 2: I might give you my social security number.
Speaker 1: Hey, where are we finding you right now? Like what's your state of mind right now? I know you're, you know, you're happy the songs out, the video is out. What else is happening with you and how are you feeling?
Speaker 2: I don't want to jinx it, but it's the highest debut. These numbers are insane. I haven't, I've never seen numbers like this on a song of mine. So I don't want to, there's wood near you, knock it because I don't want to jinx it. But it's going really well. Thank you very much. Thank you jean. It's going, it's going well right now and I just wanted to continue to go well and I want to, I'm in the mode of wanting to inspire people musicians and non musicians alike. I just want everybody to make music and art. And I just feel like, especially here in the States that, that's not really embraced enough. So I want to be the, the reason and poster child for all that.
Speaker 1: Love it. And I just read a little article about you helping out this. I think this kid that wanted to go to Julia and you know, and that's, that's great charlie. You're using your influence to sort of encourage as well.
Speaker 2: Well that was his name was axel And you know, like we all do. I was scrolling on Tiktok and he was crying and I hate seeing people cry and be sad. But it's one of the great things about Tiktok where you can be super vulnerable. It's not like it used to be, where everything had to be faced tuned and super buttoned up everywhere, pretending everybody's really showing their true side. And I was just like, man, you don't have to worry that you didn't get into one school, you're well on your way to amassing a huge following. And something else that rejection is just another beautiful thing that will lead you to somewhere where you didn't even think you'd be,
Speaker 1: do you have any messages for the Singapore fans who have just been waiting with bated breath for a new music from you. And it's finally here, go ahead.
Speaker 2: Singapore fans. You're not going to wait four years anymore. You're not not waiting five months for a single to come out. I'm sorry about that. But the lights which needed to sound perfect. You're going to get a whole album from me this year and God willing. I'm going to see you in person and it's going to be 10 times as electric as it was in 2018. Connection is going to be even stronger and I love you all and I just can't wait to see you.
Speaker 1: Excellent. What a nice catch up charlie. I wish we had like an hour to just sit back and kick back and relax.
Speaker 2: Very fun to talk to. I appreciate the nice questions and it's nice to catch up with Singapore.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we can't wait to see you over here sweating it all out with us and I'm putting on a great show.
Speaker 2: I love it. I'll definitely be sweating.
Speaker 1: Thank you charlie. Best of luck with everything stays safe. Yeah,
Speaker 2: thank you. You too. Thanks for the interview