Speaker 1: Welcome to another episode of Men Explained where we really dig deep into the differences in the way that men and women think.
Speaker 2: Now today we've got a TikTok duo that is very popular when they talk about things like gender, they talk about opinions, preferences. Let's please welcome our guests today, Nick and Chow.
Speaker 1: I think they were quite surprised when you said TikTok duo.
Speaker 2: The reason why I say that is because people are very much comfortable and they know you guys now as the two of you guys who sit together and talk about these kind of things,
Speaker 1: right? I suppose, yeah, but I don't know, I don't attach myself so strongly to the platform that's just a duo can be discussed on any platform. OK guys, we always see you, you know, online, but How did you guys even start doing this content together and decide that this is what we're going to narrow in on because we all know by now the type of content that you guys do. So how did it even start? We're friends,
Speaker 2: right? And then one day I was sending her home, driving back, and then after that we were talking about one of the topics that we were talking about.
Speaker 1: So I like to say that the Genesis is really organic. It came from a real conversation we were having. Do you remember what this topic was. So it was like, what does it mean if he likes your IG stories? Can I, can I, what does it mean if he likes IG stories? I think it's a form of flirting. Yeah, I think it's a form of, like,
Speaker 2: because I like people's stories, right, based on what they're doing. I literally just like my friend's story because she was in. and I liked it. I went, Oh my gosh, I love Cebu. I see it.
Speaker 1: You liked it for context and you messaged her,
Speaker 2: so it's opener, yeah,
Speaker 1: but, but it
Speaker 2: doesn't mean that I'm
Speaker 1: interested. OK, for example, right, he's scared you a cute selfie, OK, and someone likes it and like you guys just met like he's kind of texting you a little bit, but you don't really know what it meant. So I was like, Nick. What does that mean? I think that even if whoever likes not just likes your story, but keeps viewing your stories constantly. How do you tell? They always appear at the top.
Speaker 2: OK, anyway, we're going to go into our topic today, OK, which is misogyny and misan. Do you guys know what that is? Misogyny is the hate against females, and then is the other one. Let's not use the word hate. the word prejudiced, misogyny is prejudice against women and misany is prejudiced against men. We're going to keep it at that now. Do you think that there is misany and misogyny very prevalent in the social media platforms? Yeah, of
Speaker 1: course, Definitely, especially when people are anonymous and they are allowed to add their thoughts a lot more freely and they don't feel like there's consequences to things that they say. They tend to be a lot more carefree with what they say and they'll be rude, they'll be, I guess like the way that I'm observing your facial expression, I feel like you've experienced this quite a bit. I think, OK, any any woman on social media will have comments saying things like you should do OF. I before for what people ask me to do.
Speaker 2: And I was like, yo man, no thank you.
Speaker 1: Do you have any examples that you remember? The OF one is a really big one or things that go back to the kitchen, that sort of thing. Like it's very, very they still say that, yeah, but it's not extremely prevalent. I feel like at least in my on my platforms thankfully, but occasionally you get a couple, uh, most recently I think. The very common ones are like OF or like stop yapping, then they always say like, oh, women yap a lot and stuff,
Speaker 2: yeah. But do you think that's actually misogynistic
Speaker 1: though if they tie it to gender, then yes,
Speaker 2: fair fair.
Speaker 1: What about you then?
Speaker 2: I think against men there is a lot of uh insults by your status in life, like your wealth, how you treat women and stuff like that. Like people are always tying you to a certain value. That they want you to earn this much of money, you know, pay for every meal and that kind of thing, but I don't necessarily think it's like much of a problem. Right, I don't think there's an argument of misogyny versus misanry when the whole platform itself is on social media is toxic. No, I agree with that. But personally wise, have you ever received like comments which you said like, oh, you know, this sounds like it's coming from a person who just does not like men, not about like status generalizing. I just men, not so much against you, yeah, against me as a person more more often but they tie it to gender? I rarely think it's about gender at least. For men, I think women have it way worse. So if it's not genuinely, what do you think it's about or just as a personal individuals.
Speaker 1: It's a personal attack. OK, no, but for you, you've addressed these comments before, right? You you have no hesitation when it comes to like just going there and replying the comments.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I think at some point in time, people always think that other people are not allowed an opinion just because it's against yours, but like at the same time all these platforms they give you a place to voice your thoughts, right, and I. That's my thoughts really often. I don't think I'm wrong to have an opinion just because it's different from the general public. But do you ever think that there's a line where because you have a following and because people see you as a certain kind of influencer and whatnot, the way that you respond, people may take it as harmful, or people may take it as, oh, he's also a very offensive person, or he's also a very hateful person.
Speaker 1: I have that thought process. Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, it
Speaker 2: could be, it could be, it could be. So why I don't tie myself to a legit agency.
Speaker 1: OK, no, you brought up a good point. Because frankly speaking, I actually think 2 or 3 times before I reply or leave a comment. I want so badly to reply sometimes to these stupid comments or like hate comments or comments about your appearance or whatever. I really craft something out and I'm like, bam, this is the best comment ever. And then two minutes later I'm like delete. I just backspace. So like what sort of comments are you replying to? Somebody basically called me very flat chested on Instagram, OK, and it was just out there. He kept commenting. on like all these different pictures that I was posting. I don't even remember what photos they were or why. And then I think some of my followers started to like defend me on my platform, right? They were like, You're so rude, get off. And then it started this whole argument in the comment section and I wanted so bad to go in there and type something really like witty and I just decided to delete the whole thread. I was like, I don't know. I because I feel that I need to put more thought process into it, you know, and then if I'm so harmful then, what if he gets Affected and why did you delete it then I just decided that I didn't want to get into it at the end of the day. I was like forget it. Yeah, it's not worth my energy because if I reply, he's going to reply. All these people are going to continue chiming in and it just will never be the end of it.
Speaker 2: It's a good thing that you said that because the next question I want to say, right, just back on this, right. Do you think that kind of fuels you? Uh, not really. So you, you honestly just replied because you want to just I just. So the question that I want to ask, right, is that. Obviously as a woman, when you say certain things, right, sometimes people would say it's pretty bold statement when you guys talk about certain opinions, certain preferences together, as pretty bold. How do you deal with backlash when sometimes people disagree with that and maybe even if it comes from a woman, especially if it comes from another woman, how do you deal with that backlash?
Speaker 1: I think there was like a video that we talked about cheating. The
Speaker 2: context is if your friend cheats, do you help tell their partner.
Speaker 1: OK, and what did you say? I think I said that I would talk to the friend first before intervening because it's not my relationship. Yeah and then people were like, you're not a girl's girl because of that. Oh, OK, I have a very different definition of a girl's girl because sometimes these things happen within our friend groups and if you truly are very good friends with each other, you also want to state your views, right, because I think it affects the friendship also. So it's like I think my thought process was I would talk to the friend and let them know my thoughts about this and how my values are different and they get to choose what they want to do next. So eventually if it prolongs and they don't do anything about it, they still continue cheating, then that affects my friendship with them because of the different values. Yeah, but it also takes a while to explain these sorts of concepts sometimes and TikTok videos, Instagram reels, they're all very short form and they might just watch like 10 seconds of it. and
Speaker 2: we probably like 20-30 minutes worth of stuff that we condense into one minute and there's a lot of context that gets taken out because of brevity and stuff like that.
Speaker 1: But we only had maybe a few videos that got really bad backlash. That was like the main one I think. But how do you guys then prevent after something like that happens? Do you guys think like, OK, the next video that we put out, should we change the way that we craft certain things or you're just like Whatever. These are our views. I don't care.
Speaker 2: That's my stance lah. OK,
Speaker 1: I will tweak it a little bit just to, yeah, so I will just make sure that the tone and the messaging is still positive overall, that there's still valuable takeaways from it. If it's just a video to incite more hate and to stir more conversation of like emotions and anger into rage, then what's the point? Like I wouldn't do that. That's why this balance works out because I think Nick is a very, uh, I'll just say one kind of person and then I'll be like, hold up. Maybe we need to. Has anyone ever approached you in real life, like in person to be like, yeah, I really hated what you said. I love a lot,
Speaker 2: a lot,
Speaker 1: a lot despite sometimes getting negative comments blown out of proportion, in real life, people are like, oh, I love your stuff and it's always the hate. loudest online and they don't dare to even look at us they're the same
Speaker 2: people actually. I realized after a while I click that it's the same person commenting video A, B, C, same person. I go see other user account, right? There's a comment on all my other friends.
Speaker 1: I guess we should thank them for interactions. I suppose one of the comments that it's related to misogyny would be about my relationship status. I think as someone that's in my late twenties and As a girl, people always put my value to my relationship status, right? So that comes in the comments now and then I think there was a video about like what a child's weaknesses, for example, and then they're like child is too picky, that's why she's single. Nobody wants her and stuff, but I don't know if that's like gender specific also because it can go both ways. So on that note, I've got friends who are like 30 already, they are still single or just broke up, you know. So he's Yes, but you're also single now, OK, and if you also actually, so for my girlfriends who are like, let's say in their 30s already who are not in a relationship and they're still single, versus men who are in their 30s and are single, the perception I feel is very different for sure because it's like, oh man, are you OK? Like you're still in your prime. Like 30s, you only be in your prime when you're like close to 40, you're good, but for girls it's like. I expired already I think yeah 30+ is over. But I do want to say I feel that that's changing a little bit. I hope so over time and that even if you're single in your 30s, it's totally fine. And I feel like there's more representation of single women who are just killing it in life online and this just makes it overall seem a lot more normal and acceptable. In fact, the perceived value of single women in their thirties who are highly successful in their own right, right. It's even higher now because we don't play games, yeah, and honestly like I think at that age it's just if you want to date you date properly already, you just don't waste your time. That's why you're,
Speaker 2: I get all the time because I'm all the time that's why he's still it's like permanent one. But when you say that, where do you think this is coming from because bringing it back to. And misogyny, right? Like you said, the girls nowadays is a bit different. I guess misogyny is not that prevalent as it was like 20-30 years ago, but it's mercenary then now more prevalent, be it in online, in in real life, that you feel that these people are saying these things to you just because they don't like you. I, to analyze whether it's gender specific or not. So here's something that I've seen online quite a bit is that there are people commenting. trends, they have little TikTok videos of women saying things like, oh, men are trash, you know, or not all men, but men. You know, some men but men, that kind of trend is so prevalently misanderistic, right, that it's got nothing to do with anything other than the fact that a guy can't seem to do things right. Have you personally? I don't think it's personally attacked, but I do feel like it's. Fair, right, because TikTok, Instagram, like social media is so influential that it has influenced relationships, it influences work, it influences all these things exactly right. And when you have people who have a certain status, a certain type of influence, right, and they share things like this, you know, oh, my boyfriend didn't buy me flowers on the second date, men kind of thing, right? People are going to be like, oh, then. Should I be receiving flowers on my second day? And if then this person doesn't do it, is he just like every other person?
Speaker 1: You know, it's so funny because I I I clearly I'm not an overthinker. I don't know, but I never thought in that. Line of, I never had that line of thought like he didn't buy me flowers. Yeah, like I never really thought about it. I don't
Speaker 2: know that as an example.
Speaker 1: I get it. I guess it depends on how you consume that also. So if you consume that and think that oh this is applied to all men now as compared to like, oh, she's very critical and she demands flowers for her own date.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but you see, the difference is that people don't think the same way that you think and the majority of the people online will take what people say as is
Speaker 1: kind
Speaker 2: of
Speaker 1: like group
Speaker 2: mentality.
Speaker 1: I mean,
Speaker 2: it's the same thing right when you guys do content, you would tell as well that a lot of people, they have the same kind of opinions. They take it as it is.
Speaker 1: I don't know what algorithm you have, right, but my algorithm doesn't really show me too much men hate, which is a good thing I guess. But when I do see these comments, they are always tagged to some sort of violence, violent crimes, and I feel like that's where it becomes a heavier discussion also and that's the reason why people say, I think I saw a line once that I felt strongly for it was not all men, but it's always a men in relation to violent crimes. And what about cheating? No, not so much because it's like I was gonna say
Speaker 2: it's a thing as well. I see a lot more. Have you seen a TikTok that uh like girlies comment, the worst thing a Singaporean guy has done to you that TikTok, he's like 1,000,000,000
Speaker 1: comments, it's crazy. There's so many stories are insane.
Speaker 2: Some of the stories are insane, but some of them are also, like I said, very minuscule things like, oh, he didn't want to pay for the first date.
Speaker 1: Oh, it's like
Speaker 2: 000. 0, he showed up to our first date in shorts. I would wear shorts to a first date.
Speaker 1: I think he would. I actually
Speaker 2: would. I still wear shorts and slippers to go to town. What do you mean? No, you see what I mean. So it's really two different spectrums, right? And like bringing it back to you guys. Is this something that you guys understand and you see on social media? And if you do, how do you as this duo, talk about it? Or do you guys address? Yeah, do you address it at all? Every time we come out with a. We always discuss it a bit beforehand, like to see what stands we are at and whether it's different for both of us because it doesn't make sense if both of us have the same thought. Then after that we just sound like one robot, right? So we tend to have opposing views on some things. Sometimes if I feel lightly about this, but she feels heavier about the other thing, then I would take on the other stance from another point of view, not necessarily that I fully believe in it. Yeah, so that's how we kind of balance it out.
Speaker 1: Do you guys ever find yourselves getting caught in a real argument, you know, you're doing and then it Develops into a real disagreement. We just chill. Yeah, actually I think it's a really good balance that we have. We are able to have really good open conversations with each other. We have had arguments before as friends, but not in the context of like, yeah, the content. I want to get your thoughts on this. What do you think about the whole I hate men culture
Speaker 2: then? Specifically in Singapore, when they say Singaporean men are trash, right, then you'll be like, oh, but I'm a Singaporean man. Are they really trash? Actually what my favorite first date question is what is your worst date? Wow, it's actually really quite treasure. I, I, I say most guys really don't know how to behave on a date. I think basic respect, uh, first off, like dressing, uh, we do not wear shorts in when the girl, I disagree when the girl puts in effort to dress up and you don't at least match her like that. Let me give context, right? If let's say we go on a night date and I say that, you know, I'm going to bring you up. You know, I'm going to bring out for drinks. Of course I will dress up nicely. If you say, oh, let's go grab a coffee on a Sunday afternoon. I said I said her, you heard the line. I said match her. Yeah, imagine I show up like in jeans and she shows up in an FBT and an oversized t-shirt. Yeah, it's happened to me before and then I call her out, right? So it depends. And
Speaker 1: you didn't have a second date, yeah,
Speaker 2: yeah, yeah, yeah. She wears sports shoes, jean yellow color t-shirt. I remember exactly what she wear. I was like, Wow, I took 1 hour to pick up my outfit,
Speaker 1: bro. OK, so since quite a number of us don't really get this on our FYP very much, right, here are some examples, and the first one being, why are you such a man hater? Have you seen
Speaker 2: anything like this? God forbid I have a hobby. I
Speaker 1: know this trend. That's a terrible thing to say because like this trend is supposed to make light of like a habit that they have, right? And to say that this is a hobby is wild. I don't know. I actually really like men.
Speaker 2: I've been your friend for long enough though. I can confirm. I can confirm
Speaker 1: like same if hating men was a job. This is me loving men was a job,
Speaker 2: we get it. Jeez. I do think people jump on the bandwagon quite a fair bit, right? And that obviously not all men are trash, right, but honestly, most men are pretty much trash.
Speaker 1: Well, you said it's jumping on a,
Speaker 2: let me ask you this then, Nick, do you consider yourself? A girl's guy for saying that. Like, do you think you agree with the majority of women because you're saying, you know, oh yeah, I agree that most guys are trash. Based on the stories I've heard and the sample size, I can agree that most guys are trash. So would you say that you believe yourself to be the upper percentile? I always tell people I thought 5% of so fucking arrogant. Oh my God. There's obviously going to be topics and opinions from other people about everybody here because we're so prevalent on social media and people's opinions sometimes don't matter. 100%. But has anybody ever called you a misogynist, you a misanderist? Same for you. Has anybody ever said this to your face?
Speaker 1: No. I do want to say that Miss Andre isn't really a word used in Singapore social media. In fact, I think a lot of people don't really understand the context of it or the meaning of it, yeah. Yeah, so when I went to look it up, I saw so many people talk about how Miss Andre isn't even real and that a lot of it perpetuated because of patriarchy and the expectations of patriarchy. So how patriarchy had pushed for. Things like men having to be taller. That was something that men wanted to be because if you are short, then you are likened to having feminine traits and they don't they frown upon feminine traits. Therefore, it is so that's the thing. So if a girl goes like, I will only date a guy if he's like 180, where did she get this thought from? Is it from her own hate of men or is it because of the expectations of patriarchy?
Speaker 2: And I get that, but I still do think that as time progresses, right, we see misogy. back in like the 1950s as violent, right? It has progressed to being a bit different in this day and age, but Mendy has become such a big thing and it's even unknown that it is misanderism. Wait, is it a big thing? Why is it a big thing? So why was misogyny a big thing back then? Because men have more power than women.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and people actually dying.
Speaker 2: I mean in the age of social media as well, right? People don't talk about men's health and in this day and age. And women are such a big part of life in every aspect. There's so much empowerment to them as well that I do feel that there are certain times where misanderism is such a real thing that men also realize, oh shit, you know, I am not enough for. To give a
Speaker 1: very simple example, I feel like men are not seen as people who really like give up that much emotion or show as much emotion, right? I think I've definitely witnessed this before like in groups when we hang out, watch movies, maybe there's like a bit of a moving scene. And maybe one of my guy friends like like looks like he's tearing up or something. Then one of the girls goes like, don't cry, be a man la, you know, that kind of thing. Would that be considered?
Speaker 2: I think
Speaker 1: that's toxic, not necessarily a hate towards men. You don't think so.
Speaker 2: I don't think so. I think a meanderistic comment are things like basically this whole trend of like, you know, men are trash, like what is. The reasoning for men are trash because we wear shorts to dates because we don't pay for the meals, because we don't earn enough money. Like all that to me is a cultural stigma that has become a norm. I don't believe in. It doesn't exist. You don't think that exists? No, because men are in power. Patriarchal society. You feel this way because suddenly a bit of power is stripped away from the male person. No, I disagree. I don't think there's ever been a situation where power has been stripped away. When you talk about insulting somebody or you talk about, you know, being mean to a person, there's no power being taken away, but it's never been tied to our gender, you see. What do you mean? insult me in a centristic way, but go ahead, go for it. No, no, no, but the thing is that that's not the point, right, because if, if a man hits another man. It is obviously just you're a woman now, you're a woman now. You have long hair. Let it down, let it down. So, so we'll say it this way, right? If let's say a person comes to you online or whatever and they go, oh, you're just a typical man because you go out with girls and you know, you just anyhow date them. Then, then. There's no point in that. There's no insult, but you don't feel it. Some people will, some people won't. So it's always contextual. So meanderism will exist in a space where people accept meanderism. So you as a person don't believe me I don't think any insult a man is tied to because you're a man, you know. I will give you an example, right? I hopefully she's not watching this, but one of my sister's friends, right, I don't want to give too much context, right? But she was a full on mertenist for a period of time, and I called her out on it. It's a situation where she was dating a girl and she straight up just anything that had to do with men. She was like, ah, typical,
Speaker 1: OK, but is it based on her own bad experiences.
Speaker 2: She's dating a guy.
Speaker 1: That means previously she must have had dated guys that gave her a bad experience,
Speaker 2: right, and I agree, right? But to generalize the whole problem, right, that is where the problem lies because you can't generalize a problem and that's what she did. She generalized the problem and that's why I'm trying to get it, right? You're saying that it doesn't exist because you don't acknowledge the fact that it exists and that's fine, but to acknowledge the fact that Msanderism is real is just as equally. Important to say that misogyny is real as well.
Speaker 1: I see your point. Yeah, I think that's OK. I suppose it just depends on like the prevalence of each and you just happen to have this very personal experience, yeah, experience with it. I have heard this a couple of times, especially in the Uh, lesbian community, right? They always say this, they're always like men are trash or like, oh, men are worse than women and stuff, and I didn't realize this until I heard what you said, but my response had always been, why do you generalize? And why do you say this? Like it's not all but some, but it doesn't mean all. So I have actually encouraged like uh my friends who have these views to go and make friends with more straight men. I've literally said that and I go to the people. See them hanging out with a straight guy, literally I'm like, oh my gosh, straight friends, straight men friends, you know, like there are great straight men and I think I understand your point about how if it is a bigger scale problem, if this gets even more out of hand, if more people adopt this mindset, then it could lead to very negative sentiments of like very unnecessary negativity also. But I guess at the end of the day, right, like very broad thing to say, I know. At the end of the day, I think just don't generalize. people for their gender, their race, whatever. Frankly, I mean, if you are getting to know a person, get to know the person. Yeah, based on your own personal experience, that's it. For example, when one of my besties hates on her ex, we hate on her ex, not men, if you get what I mean, he is an MCP but we're like, yeah, he's such an MCP.
Speaker 2: Honestly, it becomes a situation where if you have this thought process, right, and a new person comes into your life, you're always going to have an initial idea. Already, you know, or I've dated Singaporean men and these are the situations. I'm going to be pretty much just expect the same kind of treatment and whatnot and you got to look past all that, right? And if you don't, that's when this whole misogyny slash misanderism comes in because you're like, OK, you know, I already have a generalized idea and that's what I'm going to believe in. Yeah,
Speaker 1: but you know people's reactions on social media are always going to be like that because I still remember this episode of Manic Explain we did before you came on board, right? This is with Aiden actually, when he made a statement about how Singaporean men don't make an effort to dress up. We incited so much hate against us in the comment section because all the Singaporean men who are active on TikTok were like slamming us like mad and they seemed quite hurt or butt hurt about this comment.
Speaker 2: I think this argument of the Singaporean men dress up is very prevalent, right? And it's true. You dress like trash.
Speaker 1: I mean, I want to say that there's a reason why Uniqlo literally calls their t-shirt the Singapore man outfit, like the Singaporean uniform. There are reasons for why people have these views, but it definitely isn't generalized. And when you talk about these things online, you tend to just like sweeping statements, right.
Speaker 2: Majority just for comfort is true and practicality is true. Is that a bad thing? No, but is it objectively fashionable? It's not.
Speaker 1: Then the question is, who are these guys who are like very angry and riled up?
Speaker 2: I don't think it's not being angry or triggered by this. I think it's acknowledging, right? It's acknowledging that there is. Mercenary in the world, right? It really is. It doesn't have to make me angry. It doesn't have to make me want to hurt women. It doesn't make me want to do anything. It just has to be an acknowledgement that this is a problem. Why is it a problem? Again, people get influenced easily online, 9,000+ people, sure, fraction of the world, but if 9,000+ people are thinking this way, right, that's going to spread and it's going to become a problem. There are people who are not as confident as you, right? The people who are a little bit less confident. And when they see this, they're going to be like, you see, I can't do anything, right? And then I'm literally going to never find a girlfriend because they all hate guys. Everything I do is wrong. It's it's a slippery slope.
Speaker 1: I've I've,
Speaker 2: yeah,
Speaker 1: yeah. I suppose as people who do stuff on social media, we post things, we talk about things and we have communities, right? We just have to be careful about the things that we say and which is also why I go back to if I had a chance to say that we cannot generalize, that's where I always come in and put in that thought. No, I love that you. brought that up because I think as people who create content, you guys post so much, you know, videos and content, you think we got a duty as well to try and keep the peace there or it's hard to say that. I would love if all publishers, all creators, anyone with a social media presence, right, thought about this, but most people are just optimizing to get the most views you want and then they say like controversial things.
Speaker 2: I think on TikTok or Instagram, a lot of people. People do things for the views and I think when they get a certain amount of validation when they are hitting on a certain group of people, whether it's men or women, they will continually do stuff because they seek validation, right, which is why uh half of the people that post on social media do post on social media. It's because they get a like that they normally wouldn't get.
Speaker 1: They just want people to agree with them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah. The same reason why someone posts a comment and then when it gets likes, they get very filled up and then they continue posting hate comments again and again and again and again. So does it really matter in the grand scheme of things, not really, la, because they might not even feel that way, you know, you reply to them and then after it's only like change 180 and then like, oh yeah, I completely misread your post, then I'm sorry, but are they going to delete the comment because he already has 1000 likes? No, yeah, so let's say now I'm in a picnic and then after that I'm hanging out with some guy friends and then I have a bunch of girls over there and then one girl just goes, I hate all men. Then what are we going to do? I'll ask her why, why you hate explain. Talk to me. If you want to figure out where the source of hate come from, right? Is it your past experiences? But she never said she hate you there, so why does it matter? No, but she's now openly we are in a social setting, right? She's throwing out a topic. Yeah, we are here to discuss and debate. That's what I love to do, right? If you ask me a question like I hate all apples, I'll ask you why. So contextual, it's contextual. OK, well, let me bring it to this then, right, since we're talking about receiving hate and All these things. Social media is obviously a place where we cannot control what people say about us. We can't control comments, but what do you guys think the difference between cancel culture and constructive criticism from people watching you is when you say like, OK, this is actually a good point, versus this person just doesn't like me and it's damn obvious. I think people often hide behind constructive criticism like, oh, I'm here to insult you to make you better, but they just want to cancel you most of the bullshit. But do you think cancel culture is like a little bit higher. constructive criticism in the sense that they would put in more effort to make you look bad rather than just dropping a comment.
Speaker 1: I think it's baby steps, right? It's like the frequency, the quantity of the comments that are coming through and how many times they're commenting on all the other videos that you have. Does it seem? Yeah, if it's really just like you're ugly, it's a personal attack for no reason, like not really about your views or your opinions, not a discussion, not trying to engage with you at all, but just to insult you, then I think that's very clear, just canceling, just trying to Get you off the internet, I guess, or like to hurt your feelings. OK, so sometimes you do get, I don't know if you guys have ever received DMs or anything on constructive criticism, right? Do you feel like people mean it more from a good place when they like privately tell you like, hey, you know, like I like your content, but maybe this post didn't sit too well. We just want to let you know. I think that sounds reasonable versus like just directly putting it on a public platform immediately that I feel has a bit of intention already because you want other people to see it, you know.
Speaker 2: I know it doesn't matter whether it's private or public, but sometimes it's like the tone and the whole messaging. Yeah, sometimes you can see that people come with a bit of heart and then you're like, OK, I'm sorry, let's address this, then we'll talk about it for a while. I mean, people can still DM you and be like, Hey, go off yourself kind of thing, right? So it comes off the same way. I think he's completely right. It's the approach to the comment and approach to the
Speaker 1: DM. So I guess at the end of the day, it's not really about taking sides. I think for all of us, we have a certain amount of responsibility on the kind of content. We want to put out. Yeah,
Speaker 2: it really isn't about being right. It's an honest opinion. There's no right. Honestly, it's an opinion, but also I feel like it's having a very safe and you know, an open opinion about that one.
Speaker 1: I think it is dangerous if people are really pushing for very polarizing views and they're breeding this sort of like discussion, but that's why Nick and I always choose to have opposing views where we discuss and we show that, yeah, it's balanced instead of just stirring the pot. If we have Same view about something we usually don't talk about it. I completely agree. This is why Aves and I always have opposing views.
Speaker 2: That's why we're on. Thank you guys so much for watching yet another episode and thank you, Chow and Nick for joining us today. We really do hope that you've enjoyed this and make sure that you follow us on all our socials at its clarity.com.
Speaker 1: Yes, if you're tuning into us and not watching this YouTube video, you can log on to Apple Podcasts, Spotify, or Meliten and we'll catch you next. Good boy.