Speaker 1: Now, a letter to myself with Joel Chua. Hi there and thanks so much as always for joining us. Our guest today is a mentor for young Malay Muslim undergraduates who's working to give them a stronger footing as they prepare to begin their careers. And to do this, he's roping in other successful and dedicated professionals from the community to be role models, not just to inspire the younger generation to redefine their limits, but also to help them uncover their own definition of success and meaning. Sharing with us his own journey and how it translates into his work. The program director of Mara Mentoring, which is part of Minakki Club, Safafi Salam Buhari Jaun. Welcome to the program. Thank you so much for joining us.
Speaker 2: Thanks, thanks so much for welcoming me as well.
Speaker 1: It's a pleasure to have you indeed, Safa. All right, so I read recently that you wrote that as part of your work, what underpins your work is that you want to see your mentees, undergraduates from the Malay Muslim community. You want them to see what happens when they approach their career with intention and openness. How have these elements of intention and openness being reflected in your own journey towards your own professional development?
Speaker 2: Thanks, thanks for the question. So I think intention, openness, they both sound like really great things, but Um, if you have, you, you could say if you have too much of, of, uh, one or the other, you can end up in a pretty different directions. Um, I would say, let's say I, I set my intention, uh, very early on that I'd like to be in tech or I'd like to be in data, um, which is what I did when I was in university. I, I studied data analytics. If let's say I kept that intention and I wasn't open enough, I wouldn't have ended up in my current, uh, capacity as a sustainability consultant. Um, at the same time, if, if you have too much openness and you never really set your, your, your foot onto something that you want to pursue, uh, then you'll always be that kind of guy that's been pulled in lots of different directions and it doesn't always work out for the best result. Yeah.
Speaker 1: So tell us about that journey. It was a little bit challenging, I understand, for you to, to land this current position that, that you're doing now. It's something of a passion of yours, but it didn't come easy.
Speaker 2: Absolutely. So, I mean, for, for context, I'm a, I'm a strategy consultant at Eden Strategy Institute, so we are a Singaporean strategy consultancy. We focus on sustainability and social innovation. So, um, people always ask me, what did you study to get here? I say, well, not, not something that was very related, you know, I graduated with a data analytics, uh, kind of major, uh, my internships were unrelated and all that, so. Um, really, the, the, the, it was, it was really quite a career switch for me after two years into the working world already, um, suddenly leaving data analytics and, and wanting to go into sustainability.
Speaker 1: Why did you want to do that, make that switch?
Speaker 2: that's, that's, that was, uh, uh, it wasn't an overnight. Um, so 11 of the things that happened to me, uh, in my previous company was that as part of the corporate strategy team. Um, we started looking at, um, the where our products, so it was an insurance company, where our products could really help, uh, communities and not just, not just in Singapore but beyond. So I had this chance to work on a digital health product in Vietnam and I, I loved that opportunity so much because um I wasn't focusing on just the tools, the data analytics tools or the dashboards, but really about the outcomes and the impacts of that. And I wanted to look for a career where that could be really the prime focus of, of my, of my work, and that's where sustainability came in for me.
Speaker 1: What, what did it take for you? What were the, what was the mindset of all the risks you had to take in order to make this switch?
Speaker 2: No, it was, it was uh it was a very calculated, uh, jump off a cliff. So, um, I was looking with a with a parachute, yes, with a parachute and a trampoline at the bottom that I couldn't really see, but I, I, I had to believe that it was there. Um, it, you know, a couple of weeks or months before I, before I resigned, I told myself, OK, I'm going to try until this date, uh, to see if I can land a position myself in sustainability. If not, then I'm going to take a leap of faith and I'm, I'm gonna, I'm gonna search for my job full time. Um, so, as luck would have it, that's, that's really what happened to me and Uh, it took me about, let's say 34, maybe 5 months, um, of going to networking sessions, human libraries, attending courses, uh, taking certifications and stuff, and finally meeting my, my current boss at this company. Yeah,
Speaker 1: and you met your current boss at a human library event, you know, there's a whole story behind that encounter, I'm sure. But um I want to find out at this point in time about your, your other portfolio, the, the other hat that you wear, which is, of course, as program director of Mara mentoring. You are a mentor yourself. How much of your own experience translates into the approach that you take when you mentor other young Malay Muslim graduates?
Speaker 2: It's, it's, uh, you know, it comes from a place of, of firsthand experience. I think I wouldn't have so much faith in mentoring or so much belief in the value and the necessity of it. Um, if I didn't experience the, the impacts of it myself in, in, in my career and, and really the, the fact that I have, uh, the fact that I was able to complete that transition into sustainability from a relatively um unrelated fields I might say, um, it's really just based on the faith and the, the belief that, that, uh, my, my boss who is who is also my mentor had in me, you know, he had more faith in me than than I maybe had for myself. And that's, that's how I uh completed that.
Speaker 1: What was it about that experience you had as a mentee? How specifically did you benefit from that mentor-mentee relationship that allowed you to make these decisions that eventually led you to where you are today?
Speaker 2: So it's, it's really quite amazing. Um Let's just talk about the human library, uh, event that I went for, right? I, I woke up one day and I was, this was like after maybe 2 or 3 months of attending like networking sessions over and over and over again and I, I woke up one day and I was like, do I really want to go for this? Um, it was all the way at Pa Leba and I stayed in Bukit Panjang at the time. So, uh, I forced myself out of bed and it It turned out to be one of the best decisions ever. Um, I, I went to this human library and really I wasn't looking for a job. I was looking for advice. So I was just asking him, hey, you know, I've been applying for a couple of jobs and people keep putting me into this data box and I'm really trying to break out, but they just like
Speaker 1: were
Speaker 2: they?
Speaker 1: Yeah,
Speaker 2: so I was, I was a data analytics graduate and um and my first two years I was working on very related data analytics, digital strategy kind of stuff, even when it was into marketing as marketing analytics, so. Um, very, very much people would see, oh, you're a data guy through and through. Why do you want to leave this? Isn't that like where the big bucks are? And I, I, I, no matter how many times I told them, it's not about the big bucks that I that I'm looking for, it somehow it's already. The, the, the answer that they're going with. So, um, with, with the recruiters I was talking to, there was this, there was this imaginary wall, right? You're a data person, just stick to data.
Speaker 1: That was another stereotype that you had to grapple with
Speaker 2: as well. Yeah, it's it's a stereotype that I I never expected and that's why I, I tell my mentees now as well, um, this thing about intentionality and openness, right, we look for a focus, we look for something that's, uh, we, we have enough curiosity, enough passion to dive into. But never, never keep the, the other doors closed, right? You, you never know what lands on your doorstep and uh you want to be prepared to be able to open that door one day. Yeah.
Speaker 1: So, so what was it about the quality of, of your mentor that really resonated with you?
Speaker 2: Um, so in, in a, in a, in a nutshell, he was the first, maybe he was, I think he was maybe the first person to say, hm, no, that doesn't make sense that, you know, you study data and everything, it doesn't doesn't seem like that's the only thing that you should be able to do, you know, no matter what other people tell you. So let me tell you how and and then he, he, he advised me about all the the sort of intersections between Uh, the data and the digital realm of sustainability and even beyond that, actually, it's about the transferable skills, right? Not really the domain knowledge, but how you think about uh problems analytically, how you use those skill sets, uh, statistical rigor and and and how you apply it to work as a consultant, and I ended up here.
Speaker 1: So he didn't. Hold you the way many other people were pigeonholing you just based on what they saw on your CV.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, absolutely. So it was, I mean, in, in a, in a nutshell, I, I, I thought I had a lot of faith in myself to even want to make a career switch. Uh, he had even more faith in me because at the end of the, the whole end of that conversation. Uh, I was just asking him for advice, but he was like, you know, maybe you can really just consider a career here. Why don't you work for me? That's how I ended up working here.
Speaker 1: I see. OK. So based on that experience that you had, how are you translating that experience today in your role as a mentor, not just a mentor, but your program director of a mentorship program under Club Mend Day.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah. So I think a lot of mentees come to the program. Um, with, with already a career or like an industry vertical. That they're already thinking of. I studied finance, so I, I'm going to focus my time on looking for just finance roles. I studied accounting so the same thing. So, uh, what we, what we uh put into the program at the very start, before we talk about career tactics, before we're talking about excelling at your job, we just uh give inject uh healthy, uh, quite a, quite a heavy dose of uh positive uh constructive skepticism on them. You want to take a finance course? OK, tell me why, tell me why. Is it just because you So, so, so that's how we injected into that we try to open their horizons a bit before we get them to sort of say, OK, for the next few months, this is what I'm going to be working towards.
Speaker 1: How one of the the unique considerations that you need to take into account because the, the, this, this platform supports specifically Malay Muslim undergraduates, are there, are there certain cultural considerations specific to, to the group, the community that you're supporting?
Speaker 2: Absolutely. So, um, in the very first, uh, in the, the, the maybe the very first thing to mention is just, uh, the law of numbers, right? When we're talking about Um, mentors that the Malay Muslim, uh, our main Muslim mentees or Malay Muslim undergraduates themselves can, can relate to. We, we tend to look, when we tend to look, uh, for, for things that are relatable to us in, in our role models, right, uh, whether that is in terms of whether you're introvert or extrovert, whether it's from the country you're from or the, the, the racial group that you're from, um, but, uh, we, we tend to uh get this uh positive. of, of, of maybe uh the difficulty of finding a role model for, for, for ourselves, uh, as, as young Malay Muslim uh professionals or aspiring professionals. Um, and the, the surprising part is there's actually a lot of us, uh, on the, on, we, we think that we embarked on this because we thought it was a it was a mentee issue, we're here to help the mentees, but actually on the mentor side, we noticed that a lot of young Malay Muslim professionals themselves are not Uh, kind of putting their hands up and, and, and, you know, showing their worth to the, to the world as well, not because they're, uh, of, of poor quality, but just because they're they're afraid of not being
Speaker 1: humble. In fact, um, I read an article that you wrote a few months ago and there was this rather compelling quote that you wrote in this article, you wrote that we faced stereotypes for decades and while we've made strides to close those gaps, There is still a perception among some in our community that the identity is something to be discarded if they want to succeed. What, what did you mean by that?
Speaker 2: So I think the, the, the first thing I would just want to say is that on this, on this point of closing gaps, I think I look at my mentees and really they, they, they are excellent, excellent academically in, in the subjects and whatever, even the non-academic aspects, right? So really they don't have much reason to, to, to put themselves down or to not go for the competitive roles or something like that. But somehow there is still that sense that, um, you know, that that's a very competitive position. I think I won't try to play in that pool and I tell them, what makes you think that you won't be able to succeed in that pool? Like what stops you from just trying, right? Why don't you let the competition decide for yourself whether it's good enough for you. Um, so I think there's on, on that end there's, uh,
Speaker 1: but when you ask them the question, what is the response that you get from them?
Speaker 2: Ah, I see. So, well, it's I, I, I, I can't really say that I get a very, very good and convincing answer to, to that convinces me that they are really not uh able to compete on that stage, right? So what, what tells me, uh, what that tells me or what it implies is that I'm ingesting a kind of a stereotype. I'mingesting a kind of expectation that I, that somebody has set for me and that I've kind of accepted for myself, um, and I think more and more uh young Malay Muslim undergraduates and, and, and students in general, young professionals are being, are being more aware of that. So they're challenging that.
Speaker 1: How, how do you challenge that as as the as the head of this mentorship program, how do you challenge that, that stereotype that leads to these self-limiting beliefs?
Speaker 2: um. So I think one is in the, we, we bring in, we bring in uh mentors that that walk that exact journey, right? We bring in mentors from companies like, like Singapore Airlines and from TikTok and ByteDance and lots of lots of companies like that where, uh, many of our mentees would love to get in, but you just never known that there were people that they could reach out to and that uh really would, would, would sacrifice their uh Saturday one Saturday morning for 6 months just to talk to them. Um, and, and, and we, we make sure that they know that there are people like that, we, we make a handshake happen.
Speaker 1: Thanks so much for being with us and staying with us. On a letter to myself on CNA 938, we're chatting today with the program director of Mara Mentoring, which is a platform under Mendai Club. His name is Safafi Salam Buhari Jaon, and he's been sharing with us his own personal journey. As well as uh what he intends to do, what he's, uh, what he and his colleagues do with Mara mentoring, uh, which you'll be sharing with us a little bit more in just a little while. Um, but before that, so, before I ask you to share with us the, you know, the letter that you have written to your younger self based on the most important lessons you've learned through your journey, um, share with us first, how did you become program director of this, of this platform?
Speaker 2: Well, it's a, it's a pretty long story. Um, I could start all the way from how I got into mentoring or I could start about how I got into this program in
Speaker 1: 1.5 minutes where you think you think 15 minutes. All right,
Speaker 2: well, very, very short story about the starting of it. I think it all started when I was um tutoring my, my nephew. He was retaking his O Levels and Uh, I, I thought he needed a tutor. Turns out actually he needed like a mentor. When I talked to him, I realized not that this is a, uh, uh, not smart kid, it's just that he's got a lot of self-esteem issues, and as I, as I, I, I worked with him on that, I, I just couldn't help but, um, wish that I had someone like that um to guide me through my own self-esteem issues when I was back in school. So, um, fast forward the story a little bit through a couple of these mentoring stints, um, I, I really found the kind of conversations at the university undergraduate level, um, mentees at that level to be very enlightening because, um, that's the first time for, for many people, uh, where you're not choosing between course A and cause B or elective A and elective B, but you're choosing a career options are endless. That should excite you, but a lot of them are nervous and scared and Uh, it, it, it, it carries that feeling carries on throughout your career, right? Um, so I, I, I, I asked the, the ex-director of, of my mentoring, Hey, do you guys have a slot on your organizing team? And he, he ended up telling me, actually my whole team is, uh, my whole team is moving on, so would you like to come on and, and, and, uh, take charge? Uh, and another leap of faith, um, I said, OK, sure, I'll see what I can do and Uh, 3 years from then, uh, I'm, I'm here
Speaker 1: now. OK. So you assumed this role about 3 years ago.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was 23
Speaker 1: years ago, yeah. OK. And we'll find out a little bit more about the programs that Mara mentoring runs in just a little while, but at this point in time, you know, you shared with us a little bit about your own journey. If you were to reflect a little bit more into identify the most valuable lessons you've gained from this journey, if you could write that letter to your younger self, what would be the most valuable messages in this letter?
Speaker 2: So the first thing I would say is that what really matters at the end of the day is people. What really matters to me at least is, is people. That's how I found my way into uh mentoring, into, into volunteering. It's because of that little encounter that I had with my nephew and Um, that allowed me to connect with my past self, um, in, in that
Speaker 1: experience. When you say you connected with your past self, what do you mean when you reflected on, on your own self-esteem issues when you were much younger,
Speaker 2: is it? yeah yeah yeah. So I, I, I noticed in him, hey, you know, not too long ago I was just like that, and, uh, you know, I, I happened to turn out OK, um, but it would have been a much smoother, much happier right, if I had someone to to to lead me there, right. So what, what really matters is people, even in the way that I found myself in sustainability, it's not because I love trees or animals or I love cutting down carbon emissions per se, but just because I, I start to read about the effects that climate change has on, on people, we always think about people in our neighboring countries, but even in Singapore, uh, some of the rental. Flat communities, our gig economy workers who are driving on the roads, our migrant workers, the, the, the ones that are facing the brunt of climate change. So really what matters is people.
Speaker 1: What do you think tends to distract us from this, this core focus that you believe in, which is people at the end of the day? What do we tend to get distracted by?
Speaker 2: I think, um, well, to, to, to put it in a well-intentioned way, I think some, some people get distracted by the sense that there's so many people to help, there's too many people to help. What can I do? I can't help all, all these people, right? But um there's this famous thought experiment by this Australian philosopher. If there was somebody drowning in a pool in front of you, you'll probably go and help them. If there was somebody drowning in a pool that's maybe like 1 kilometer away and you're the only one that could help them, you would probably go and help them, but Um, if you knew that there were like 10, 100 people other than you also standing around that pool, maybe you wouldn't, right. So I think the, the idea is, um, what can I do to help? I mean, uh, I, I, I might not be able to save the whole world, but saving one person from drowning, saving one person from, um, having to, having to go through the pain of, of, of poor academic results and and all that, that, I think that that matters, right? So. Uh, again, what really matters to me is people.
Speaker 1: Thank you for reminding us about that. And you know, you shared with us also that personal encounter you had with your, with your cousin, was it? You're your nephew, right, who, who reminded you of much younger Safa as well. At what point, you know, you shared with us that much younger version of yourself was also um experiencing self-esteem issues. At what point did you, did you get a better handle on those issues?
Speaker 2: Um, so I think I, I didn't really resolve these issues in, in, in school throughout the way. Um, really, maybe it was only in national service or maybe only in university where, uh, I I started taking up leadership opportunities or maybe they were presented to me I didn't really have a choice. I take them up and you know what, hey, I, I, I maybe it turns out that I can do well in this, in this scenarios and then I start to rewrite that narrative, you know, not everything I touch is destined for like mediocrity or destined for, for whatever bottom something percentile, right, yeah.
Speaker 1: Right, so there were two parts of this equation being offered opportunities, that's part one and part two is saying yes to those opportunities, accepting those opportunities.
Speaker 2: Yeah, saying yes and and following through doing well or doing the best that you can with those.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah. Thanks very much for sharing that. That first message to your younger self, what really matters at the end of the day is people. Yeah. What's the second message to your younger self?
Speaker 2: Well, uh, it's a bit of the flip side of the coin. Um, we, we talk about caring for people what really matters, but on the other hand, uh, on the, on the, on the flip side also, I think my second message would be that it only takes one person really to, to believe in you, only takes one person to, to, to sit by you and, and help you through this math equation or one person to offer you a A job in sustainability consulting, um, it really only takes one person because, uh, you, you're going to take up one job, not, not 100, and you're going to take up, you know, you're gonna take one exam and stuff like that. So, um, really we, on, on the way I encountered so much, uh, uh, so much naysayers, so many naysayers and so many challenges trying to make that career switch and at the end of the day, it just required one person to believe in me, uh, as much, at least as much, but Uh, ultimately, even more than I believe in myself.
Speaker 1: And today in your role, are you that one person? Do you see yourself as that one person for somebody else?
Speaker 2: Um, yes, I try to be that person for my mentee, I think for my mentees, but, um, I think what's, uh, what's more important for me is, can I have more people to play that role, um, in, in a structured way through the program? Can I bring mentors that Uh, believe in their mentees more than the mentees believe in themselves, and can I continue to make the mentees be that kind of people for their peers and for their juniors outside the program as well. So, uh, that's, that's very much the spirit that we're operating this with.
Speaker 1: You know, in today's day and age where everybody is so busy, the most important thing is time. Time is a premium, right? How do you persuade people to To take that time, especially for your, your mentors, to take time out of their already very busy schedules to, to look at the mentee as that one person and to be that one person for the mentee.
Speaker 2: Well, I think um in, in the first place, we we make it as easy as possible for, for them to join, so we, we have this thing called the tribe mentoring system that I can talk about later. But uh we're not really putting them into one on one contexts. Um, that, that is a really amazing setting for, for very intimate conversations, but it's sometimes it can be kind of a barrier for people to, to want to even jump into those conversations. So we, we set them up, we put 3 mentees together with two mentors. So then it becomes kind of like a group discussion, a group hangout, right? So, um, it lowers the barrier to have these kinds of conversations and Um, rather, and it also gives you that sense that, you know, I'm helping more than just one person, I'm helping three people and, and they're gonna help each other as well. So I'd love to be part of this story. Um, you put it like that, uh, I think mentors become a lot more generous with their time in that sense.
Speaker 1: And, and your mentors are other young Malay Muslims who've who've already walked a path and can, can assume that role of a role model.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so 11 thing that we, we try to emphasize, so, uh, in the, in the first place, it's not just, uh, Malay Muslim professionals that we have as mentors. We have a lot of people from all sorts of communities that are coming and they, they, we really want to see our mentees, our Malay Muslim mentees succeed, um, but I think one of the challenges that that we do see in encouraging more Malay Muslim professionals to be mentors is they think they're not experienced enough. Uh, they think, oh, I have too few years of experience. Oh, I'm not, I'm nobody, I'm not like a senior manager da da da, but Actually, the fact that you've made it out of school, the fact that you're you're in a job that you like is, is something to be applauded already and that's what you want to tell our mentees.
Speaker 1: Did you have those thoughts yourself before you assumed the role of a mentor?
Speaker 2: Oh, well, I, I guess I started mentoring, um, quite early on, so maybe I maybe I didn't have that space to to be like a kind of impostor syndrome for myself, but, um. Yeah, my first ever mentoring opportunity was uh to mentor uh two IT students and uh rather than that being the main concern, I think my main concern was like, oh, I, I didn't walk that educational path myself, so I, I was kind of afraid that I wouldn't be able to say things that they could relate with, but it turned out fine in the end.
Speaker 1: It's good to know. Thank you for sharing that message to your younger self. It only takes one person to make a difference. What's, what's the message to your younger self?
Speaker 2: So my, my third message is maybe more about youth development rather than mentoring and in general youth youth development, youth, youth advocacy, youth activism. So, um, the message is that you're never too young to say something worth hearing, you're just not confident enough, right? So the solution to that is not to grow up, the solution is to get more confident. So, Uh, you ask more, you read more, or you do more, right? That's, that's the ways that you can build your confidence in I think it's so important. Um, right now in, in, in, uh, in, for example, the, the loudest voices in climate change are young people, the loudest voices in peace activism are young people in, in all sorts of issues, you name it, it's, it's, it's young people that are, that are pushing and asking for, for more because at the end of the day, we're gonna be the ones that are that are living the longest in the societies that we're designing.
Speaker 1: You sound like a pretty confident young person yourself. What would you say was the most Instrumental experience in your journey that helped you acquire the confidence.
Speaker 2: Well, um, it's, it's hard to pinpoint on one, I would say it's, it's been, uh, uh, fortunately for me ever since, like I said, maybe national service or since university when I start taking up this leadership opportunities, I think the, it's a, it's a cycle of small wins, uh, snowballing into, into bigger wins, and, uh, you know, you, you, you take the right level of responsibility and you do well with that responsibility and um That's, I think what's given me confidence so far, but I, I would say that the, in, in let's say the climate space specifically, so I attended this um uh program called the CYDP Climate Youth Development Program. Yeah, um, so this is organized. It was a Singapore. So basically, uh, it was organized by three government agencies, so National Youth Council, Ministry of Sustainability and Environment, as well as the National Climate Change Secretariat. Um, so it was, I was part of the Pioneer Batch. They, uh, put together a group of 40 youths, um, they sent us, they, we had like an induction program speaking to a lot of policymakers and corporate business leaders and stuff like that, talking about all sorts of issues within sustainability and Um, at the end of the day, uh, they sent 20 of us to, to Dubai COP 28, uh, and that's where I saw the, the, the plethora and a variety of so many young leaders, uh, not treating themselves as young leaders. Young leaders treating treating themselves as people whose voices are worth hearing, um. And that's really what, what, uh, gives me that confidence to come back and say, you're never too young to say something worth hearing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's amazing, it's a compounding effect, isn't it, when you are in that kind of environment, that kind of element with other energetic, enthusiastic young people brimming with confidence and enthusiasm. It's infectious.
Speaker 2: It's, it's, it's, it's so interesting to hear their stories of, of resilience and their stories of problem solving in in their countries, you know, every country faces climate change slightly differently, but Uh, to, to hear how they're responding in their context, right? Uh, it's so inspiring.
Speaker 1: Thanks so much for staying with us on the letter to myself on CNA 938, continuing our chat with the program director of Marra Mentoring, Safafi Salam, Buhari Jaon, sharing with us more about the program. Um, you know, with my very limited amount of, uh, Malay knowledge, uh, Safa, when I, when I first heard the name of your, of your mentoring platform, Mara Mentoring, I thought, why, why so angry? Because Mara means angry in Malay, right? But of course, it's pronounced slightly differently, you don't seem like a very angry person. So Mara in this sense means what?
Speaker 2: So Mara is kind of another word for maju, so, uh, which means kind of advanced progress. So we always say Marra arahara, so advanced to, to in the forward direction.
Speaker 1: So Mara, M A R A, Mara means advanced but with an H behind that's Mara angry. OK, so pronunciation is important. All right, so what exactly does Mara mentoring do for the mentees who come in? There's a six-month program. What happens during these 6 months?
Speaker 2: So it's a, it's a 6 month structured mentoring program. So the word structured there is quite important. Um, what's different from, let's say, uh, unstructured or free-flow mentoring programs is that we have already set for them key dates. You, the whole group of 30 mentees and 20 mentors, you're gonna come to this location and we're gonna have an agenda and you're gonna, you're gonna talk, uh, for, for that duration. So it's, it's structured, it's different from places where um it's up to the mentee, the mentor to set up lunch for themselves or dinner or coffee or whatever. Um, so with that, we can kind of bring them through a very Uh, sequential or progressive kind of journey. So we usually, uh, bring them through three kinds of main focus areas. So the first is on career planning. So as I shared before, it's about opening their options, expanding their horizons a little bit, and then we talk about career tactics. So once you've set your sights on, on something that you want to go for this particular role in this company. Or sector, then we talk about career tactics. Uh, how are you going to put yourself in an interview, how are you gonna, uh, prepare your profile and your resume and what, what's your style going to be in a networking scenario? And the third focus area that we touch on, which I think is really important in a lot of mentoring programs, miss, is professionalization. Right, uh, we are trying to get them into the door and we're not just going to say, get you in the door and then bye bye I think the world the world's, uh, the world's all good now that you've got this job. We want them to do well in the job, right? So take the opportunity and do well with the opportunity. So, uh, all sorts of things like communication skills, confidence, uh, cultural fluency, that's, that's some of the things that we would touch on in this professionalization focus area.
Speaker 1: What are some of the, what is one. Proudest, what's the proudest achievement that you've been able to accomplish in the past 3 years?
Speaker 2: So, I think, well, I, I, I don't think I can claim uh full credit for this because I think it's, it's been uh going along uh progressively very well and with a lot of other ecosystem partners, but, um, for example, in our last run, so this is the 5th season that we're doing this 5th run. Um, we had, uh, we were twice oversubscribed, um, for our, on our the mentor side, right? So that's really great for us to hear because that means that we don't really have a glut or a shortage of of Malay Muslim professionals or just young professionals who want to help our, our mentees. That means, um, it's not just our mentees are getting more help, it's that our mentors are being more confident. to assume those those roles. So, um, that's come from a lot of like corporate partnerships come from a lot of success stories from from previous participants, but I'm just really happy to see that
Speaker 1: happening. Very nice, you know, you've been sharing with us your journey and very important to your younger self. If you could write another letter this time to your future self, what would be the message in this one?
Speaker 2: So I would, I would write, well I hope I can, I hope I can say this, but I would, I would say thank you for staying true to, to, to what you believe in. Um, we, we talked about intentionality and openness, but in that process, there's a lot of new things that can come and Uh, new, new is good, but some of the old, uh, deserves, deserves to stay there as well.
Speaker 1: What is one of the, one of, one of the old, so to speak, that deserves to stay there for you.
Speaker 2: So, for example, this thing about what, what matters to me is people. I, I, I would hate to see myself in the future in in a place where, you know, the people don't matter anymore. It's about the, it's about systems or it's about. Uh, I don't know, profits or something like that. I hope, I hope I don't come to that stage. So, uh, with, with that in mind, wishful thinking, I, I really hope I can say to my future self, thank you for staying true to, to what you believe in, right?
Speaker 1: Absolutely. Thank you so much for sharing your journey with us and of course your to yourself as well. If you'd like to find out more about Mara mentoring and the programs it runs, uh, it's under Mendai Club, right? So the website is Mendakiclub.org.sg. We've been having the pleasure of speaking with the program director of Mara Mentoring, Safafi Salam Buhari Jaon, who's been sharing with us his journey and his letter to himself. You're listening to CNA 938.