Speaker 1: You're listening to AC N A podcast. Hello, I'm Andrea Heng. Welcome back to the Money Talks podcast. I hope you've been enjoying the topics we've put out on this podcast so far. If you haven't listened, we highly recommend a limited series called This or that where we got our guests to pick one financial option over another from housing to cars to lifestyle packages. We also took a look at alternative investments that people are really getting into, namely find watches and find wine. Today, we want to talk about credit cards. Now, if you are not careful, they can be a double edged sword and the debt can build up, but they also provide convenience and a fuss free way to even save money quite the conundrum, right? So I know a lot of people who have applied for the best credit cards out there in the market want to rack up miles another one for cash back redemptions. Even a third card for extra perks like being a woman and being in a certain salary bracket, maybe even 1/4 because its sexy color represents exclusivity. But what I'm really wondering is, is this all even necessary to answer these questions I have with me a lie. He is General Manager for Singapore at Money Smart Group. Welcome to Money Talks. Thanks
Speaker 2: Andrea. Ok, thanks for having me
Speaker 1: first. I must ask you how many credit cards do you own
Speaker 2: personally? Just one? Wow, just
Speaker 1: one. Ok. What kind of credit card is this one credit card? I
Speaker 2: particularly like the cash back category. So credit card. Ok.
Speaker 1: So you think that that's like the best for your lifestyle, your preferred spending habit, correct? What is your spending habit on that card? And how do you then divide your spending between cash and
Speaker 2: credit? I have quite consistent spend every month and typically it's around like necessities. Secondly, I'm a hassle free person not to
Speaker 1: be that kind of
Speaker 2: person and being hassle free. I just prefer my rewards to be a cash back, which is a cash rebate and I don't have to be worried that I don't redeem the cash rebate because it's automatically offset. Whereas certain categories like air miles or reward points, you have to remember to redeem it. Imagine doing all that work and forgetting to redeem
Speaker 1: it. Yeah, it sounds like a very simple task and that's how they sell it to you as well, but it actually is a lot of work and you miss the deadline. That's it. Exactly. You lose all your accumulated points in miles.
Speaker 2: I know personally of people who would build their own kind of like spreadsheets to calculate how many rewards from, like, 4 to 5 different credit cards. But that's not me.
Speaker 1: I don't, yeah, I don't have time to update my personal spreadsheet, let alone for four credit
Speaker 2: cards. Exactly. But I think to be fair from the stories and experiences of my friends in the initial years is to get into the habit, you may miss one or two rewards and everything. But what I heard from my friend's personal account is they took like maybe a year and year and a half to build up their habit. But once it becomes a bit of a muscle memory, I heard that on a weekly basis it doesn't take too much time.
Speaker 1: They must have a different brain function that I don't have so different cards have different rewards and there are just so many to choose from it. Boggles my mind. Am I really losing out if I don't own a credit card with some kind of reward pack to it?
Speaker 2: If you're going to spend on something anyway, you should definitely have at least one credit card. Lah. Because you're going to spend, you might as well maximize your spending right? And spend more effectively
Speaker 1: reward yourself with that spending.
Speaker 2: Yeah, if you're going to spend on like necessities, you might as well have one credit card. But if, let's say on the other spectrum, if you're only going to spend the X amount and because you're looking at all the different credit card points and you end up having like four or five credit cards and you end up racking up like maybe two or three what you actually wanted to spend then as you said, you know, it's a double edged sword, not so good.
Speaker 1: Ok, so say I'm shopping around for a credit card, so many out there, right? And to help me choose one, a big reference point tends to be without a doubt the benefits, the perks, the rewards, right? So in your experience, how do people choose a card? So for instance, I have one that has say my mortgage loan on it with the bank or I open a fixed deposit account with them. Should I do more work and find out about the benefits and perks and making sure that everything sort of harmonizes in my sort of credit card ecosystem.
Speaker 2: I think that's the ideal case, but in reality, like we said, it takes a lot of work to get there. I think we can follow a very simple like just three steps first, evaluating spending habits and amount. Secondly, ask ourselves a very honest question, right? Everyone likes to be rewarded, ascertain what kind of rewards that you like? I think a lot of Singaporeans, they love to travel. It's nothing wrong to, to rack up air miles and to fly for free. Some people even have like goals to fly business class to a certain destination. Yeah, I
Speaker 1: know someone who has actually written a guide book on how to chase air miles on credit
Speaker 2: cards. I probably know that person too. But and once you ascertain these two things, then you go into comparing what kind of card. So for example, if it's cash back air miles or say rewards within that category go and compare and I think simply put to compare, just take note of three things. One is the reward terms and conditions. So this first bucket is where we have to open our eyes a little bit more to look at the best kind of reward currency. For example, if you are in for cash back, right? I'm looking at $1 spend equals to how many percent cash back, right? That reward currency. Secondly, there are maximum caps and minimum spending. So for example, if I only spend $500 right? But the minimum spend is $1000 right? Then I don't, yeah, I lose out thirdly it's expiry of points, right? Some have no expiry date, others have. Um So in that ecosystem, I think when you're comparing rewards terms and conditions, those are the few things they have to look at. Second thing is around fees. So there's very popular question people always ask, do I have to pay annual fees for my credit card? And when you compare are cards that allow you for free waiver first two years, if you are a kind of hassle free kind like myself. I will go for these kind of cards, whereas there are other cards that are annual fee compulsory, but nobody really knows whether you can call the bank and get them waived or not. A lot of them try.
Speaker 1: I spoke with someone recently about using a credit card for groceries for everyday spending. And this person told me not to do that. It's a very slippery slope once you do that. But you're also coming from the camp of having the cash back card. What do you say about that comment? Is there
Speaker 2: any reason why is it?
Speaker 1: I think it was more to do with when you use a credit card for everyday spending and you get the cash back on that the reward versus the actual spend didn't add up or something
Speaker 2: like that. Ok. So I use my cash back credit card for everyday spend. And I think what your friend is saying is true, right? But that's on one spectrum that you want to optimize to get the best kind of cash back and the best kind of rewards in that sense, maybe a cash back card is not so good. Maybe a rewards points, credit card which gives you actually more points that you have flexibility to choose what kind of like products or vouchers to redeem that might be better. So when I got into a cash back credit card for everyday spend, I'm actually not in the market for like the best currency. It's more for the ease, right? As long as my cash back is average, it's not the lousiest, it's not the best that's suitable
Speaker 1: for me. Ok, so you are. No man in the. Hello, everyone. My name is Christina and I'm Adrian and we're the host of a podcast called Work It if you never heard of it. Well, it's a good time to tap in, in the last three episodes. We've discussed topics like how to negotiate for a salary increase or how to get along with younger colleagues who have different values from you. Incidentally, it is our top performing episode if work consumes your life and you want some perspective on issues like management stress, even office romance. This podcast should be on your list. A new episode drops every Monday. Catch us on the CN A app or wherever you get your podcast. Ok. So let's go back a little bit to what you were talking about that annual fee. You talked about how some credit card companies offer, like a one year or two year annual fee waiver. And then there are some that don't. And then we try our luck as customers are the annual fees even worth paying for in the
Speaker 2: first place. It depends. But I would say as a blanket rule, the fee paying cards have better benefits than the non fee pay. Oh, interesting. Right. The annual fee is predominantly there. The maintenance of the credit card benefits and some of the operations around it also, it adds on to the prestige of the credit card that's on one side. But on the other side is if you have a fee bank card and you don't utilize those benefits, it is also wasted.
Speaker 1: Of course, then you're paying upwards of 90 to 100 and $20 per year for something that's just going to collect dust in your wallet. And
Speaker 2: when you use it for a fancy meal meal, one time purchase,
Speaker 1: how many is too many when it comes to credit cards? Because I know of people who actually get a kick out of maximizing the rewards of each credit card they own. I know someone who has four. I know someone who has six and then there's people like you and me, we only have one. Where do you stand on
Speaker 2: this? I think based on the data point that I saw done by you gov in 2019, that research actually says that more than three quarters of Singaporeans have at least one credit card and slightly more than half 50% of Singaporeans have two credit cards. Only about 10% have six cards or more. So that kind of frames your question. The deal hunters or what I call the power. Users of credit cards are probably like 10 15%. It really depends on your preference. Right? There's always an opportunity cost between maximizing the benefits and the time invested. I always like to add one more aspect to consideration. Is, is the credit card helping you spend effectively or is it egging you to spend more? If it's egging you to spend more, it could lead to unhealthy spending habits.
Speaker 1: So your team want credit card, as I said earlier, would you go for a second credit card? Do you think in the
Speaker 2: future? I think it's a good question. The answer is likely to be yes reason because travel has reopened up. Right. And being a cash back reward person, I'm only earning cash back from my spend. Right. But if I'm planning, let's say a big trip a couple of years later and air miles credit card would be good. And I know for a fact that most families have two or three cards spread
Speaker 1: across. Yeah, I was gonna ask about that as well. Yeah, the families operate differently. So then they will have different credit card for different types of expenses. It's very
Speaker 2: fair to have one cash back card and maybe an air miles or rewards card to actually rack up both sides of the rewards.
Speaker 1: Ok. Buy us aside if I were to have one credit card to rule them all, I kind of think I know the answer to this one. Which kind should I go for in terms of the overall reward, let's say I'm someone who shops quite a fair bit. I like my fashion, but I also need it for certain household expenditures. What would be the best overall card for someone whose spending habits are similar to mine? I
Speaker 2: would think if there's only one card to rule them all, probably a reward points card would be good because the whole value proposition of a rewards points card is it's flexible that reward points that you accumulate with the bank's reward catalog allows you to get rebates or vouchers or redeem products even transfer those points into air miles if you want to travel. But just one thing to take note how appealing the reward points is really depending on how appealing the catalog is.
Speaker 1: Of course, because if it's going to give me brands or products that I don't typically use and what's the point, right? Ok. So one thing that we've seen an increase of is the number of alternative payment methods. Obviously, I'm talking about buy now pay later schemes, right? These are apps that allow you to break up large amounts into smaller payments, more manageable payments usually in installments of three months, right? Are there any risks associated with these methods that could actually put good old credit cards out of business?
Speaker 2: I don't think buy now pay later would put the traditional credit card players out of business simply because credit cards also allow one to take an installment payment plan for big purchases for much longer too. Exactly, for much longer for buy. Now pay later, it's a different kind of mechanism other than using credit cards. And not everyone would get into the behavior of downloading something new to split the payment into two or three. Even though I think nowadays is very popular, there are a lot of incentives. My fear is that a lot of the people that they can buy now pay later are maybe not the ones that have a very high purchasing power. Right. So that facility actually is more beneficial or speaks to people in that category slightly better than credit cards, right? Whereas credit cards have a more holistic benefit rewards are not just one of the benefits, you know, miles card come with premier kind of travel loungers, all these like auxiliary benefits which appeal to a lot of people
Speaker 1: French benefits. Of course, they count as well. Exactly is not owning a credit card at all an option.
Speaker 2: That's a good question. I've got some of these questions before. I think it's practical to at least have one credit card. And these are some of my reasons. Right. Firstly, we go back to spending effectively. If you're going to spend, you might as well get some rewards. Secondly, having a credit card actually builds up your credit score. Right? Yes. Right. Especially for new to credit card users. And thirdly it helps you is your cash flow or it gives you a higher purchasing power. Say for example, you bought a new place and you need to buy a furniture and lastly it's convenient and it's accessible. I mean, you can't do any e-commerce shopping without a credit card much nowadays. Right. So I think all these advantages warrant at least one in my opinion. My final
Speaker 1: question to you before I let you go. Is there such a thing as a bad credit card to get?
Speaker 2: Probably first time somebody has asked me that bad credit card. I don't think there is a bad credit card per se, but I think what is not a good use of credit card is just to get it for the sign up bonus. And let's say if you forget to make certain payments and you end up incurring fees that you can't waive off and you're just having that like thick many plastics in the wallet, right? Which actually rack up fees that you don't know of. I think that would be a bad behavior. Not so much of a bad credit
Speaker 1: card. Right? Didn't mom and dad warn you about the dangers of credit cards? Mine certainly did. But if you're a rewards king or queen and you're able to keep those credit card bills in tip top shape, then go ahead and burn that plastic. But if it's just too much of a hassle know that there are singular options for you, including not owning one at all. Thanks very much for laying out all the cards on the table and seeing which ones I was playing or in this case. Hey, and thanks to you, our listener. If you've enjoyed this episode of Money Talks, there's more content for you to enjoy. Just follow us on Apple podcast or Spotify and give us five stars or leave a review. The team behind Money Talks is Jacqueline Chan, Joanne Chan, Christina Robert and I'm Andrea Ha.