Speaker 1: Hi. Say so this is Zara and welcome to our very first episode of Hush extra. So what exactly is harsh extra, something extra coming from Hush. That's right. Because last episode, we spoke about weddings, the craziness of weddings, the crazy amount of money we will spend a wedding. That's right. And another aspect of weddings that is very complicated is that relationship, family dynamics. And today we have a guest who knows quite a fair bit about that. He has had his own wedding. He has done a series about wedding with that. Let us give a warm hand to filmmaker and director region. Hi, welcome. Welcome. Tell us more
Speaker 2: about yourself. Hi, I'm a region. I'm a filmmaker and I'm a director of the Wedding Pick and Wedding. But series created by a very good friend of mine, Chelsea. So we
Speaker 1: know wedding is a complicated thing. Family even more complicated. You put it together. It's chaos basically. Right. Yeah. So is that what wedding pick a wedding bird is
Speaker 2: about? Yeah. So wedding but is actually about two sisters who fight for a very expensive family heirloom and which of course tears them apart and in the story, the older sister should get an heirloom. But because the younger sister gets married first, she's getting a first. So it's a bit unfair. It's a bit traditional but we see them fight out. Yeah. So there's a clash of traditions and modernity
Speaker 1: and for you yourself. Right. You've got siblings.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I have one sister, one elder sister and two younger brothers.
Speaker 1: And what would you say your sibling relationship or dynamic is with
Speaker 2: them? Actually, most of, most of us we are, we are pretty good with one another, I think mainly because we are very non confrontational. We try to avoid, avoid conflicts and if it happens, somehow it happens, we just walk away. So that's how we deal with
Speaker 1: it. Well, of course, today we want to understand more about wedding but, and how different it is from wedding p but before that, can you tell us more about your personal wedding? How is it? Like
Speaker 2: my personal wedding was not the happiest one, but it was very
Speaker 1: memorable. Still the tt,
Speaker 2: yeah. So, ah, ok. Where should I start? Well, I guess something happened the night before. So the night before the wedding my, my mom came into my room and she said she in my room, she wanted to, like, ask me, you know, how am I and all? But after that, when she turned around and she saw I have a suit, of course. Right. Yeah. And the suit is black. In color. So traditionally you can really wear black so black la to a, to a wedding. Yeah. Or any, any kind of auspicious events. Yeah, but it was 12 midnight. And where can I get another suit?
Speaker 1: Right. So she wanted you to change the black suit
Speaker 2: somewhat, somewhat. But she an idea, she said, why don't you go and buy a bo you put on the, for your chairs on the pocket? Then then at least there's some life to it. Some colors to it. And I say it's tight. Can you get? You can? Yeah. Then after that I don't want to get because it's 12 at night. It's so late tomorrow I have to wake up at 5 a.m. to prepare all the stuff. And then, ah, it's my fault because I didn't know that actually, my wife already prepared the Boer. So the plan was, the plan was the next morning I go to her place before the gate crash and all I go to a place that I collect from her and my mom still said she's, she's quite traditional. She said that cannot do that when you touch, when you, when you step out of the house, you must be ready in that full set and then you go to her place. Prepare. Yeah. So we cannot do this kind of arrangements. So it's very rigid. A lot of, ah, a lot of these traditional stuff that place. So, in the end, I think we argue, argue, argue a lot of drama involved my my wife's family also my in laws. Yeah. So yeah. Yeah,
Speaker 1: I mean if you had gone to fair price and gotten it, you have been there. Yeah.
Speaker 2: So a bit of regret, bit of regret. But I but because that was not the first time that happened. So a month before we did quarterly, OK. Something else like that also happened. So it kind of builds up and then to the point of the wedding where I think my family, not my mom, especially not very happy with my performance. Yeah. So it was, it was not the happiest but still very happy because I finally got married. It was a very long and arduous process with especially with COVID. Very, very difficult. Yeah. But we are just glad that it's over. We're married. I have a ring on my finger child.
Speaker 1: I also read in an article whereby you say you would have preferred to do without the go. Oh
Speaker 2: Yes. Yeah. Without the go.
Speaker 1: I feel you. I mean, as young people, I feel like we don't want to spend time and effort on these things for what just to fulfill certain traditions. Yeah, there's no point, right? But I would assume that your parents have wanted it. Correct.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So you know what we do it, we do it for the bride family, right? Because we want to show our sincerity, my family on the shows and say that we are very sincere. We really want to marry your wife. She comes at the value. But when I asked my in laws, they said that to do that. They were like adamant and don't do it, please don't do it. But my side they say that you must do it. You must show sincerity.
Speaker 1: Usually it's the other way around, the bride wants it, you know,
Speaker 2: and it's the other way around. It's easier. So like, ok, I just do it because it's for you anyway. Yeah. But this time they don't want to do it in my mind. So I want to do it. Then I had to another argument and say that so traditional and then, and all. Yeah. And then during COVID times so a bit difficult to arrange, difficult to get all the items. Yeah. So another ho ha another fight. I have a short film on that inspired by it. Yeah. And my boys, I mean, it comes down to traditions and traditions and if the next generation, we should follow all these traditions and if it's even necessary to do. So
Speaker 1: that's the thing, that's the thing about weddings, about family as the one getting married, you feel like it should just be about us, right? The opinion of two people to find a compromise is hard enough. And then you add in two families, right? Because you're not just marrying your partner, you're marrying the entire family sometimes you want to think that it's my wedding. But like for your parents, maybe they're all excited and then everybody wants to have a say in something. It's hard for me. I don't want to do the gold, but I have one fear in my heart and that is my marriage will be cursed. You know, the, you say, I know they always say that you have to do this because according to tradition is good luck is auspicious for your marriage. So I'd be like, oh man, then what if I don't want to do it when my marriage be cursed? I think you can
Speaker 2: do a truncated one. So you at least do it. But it's not easy. Is a man
Speaker 1: getting married is like t business. I swear. I mean, I've heard it so many times over and over again after someone gets married, they go, I swear, I'm never planning another wedding ever again. There we go. OK. A quick fire round questions. Region. We're gonna ask you a couple questions. It's a to choose one kind of thing and you're gonna pick the answer right off the top of your head. Ok. First question. If your family possesses an heirloom traditionally pass down to the first to marry, would you claim it or would you preserve it for your younger siblings?
Speaker 2: This is assuming that I'm the first born. No,
Speaker 1: you're the first to get
Speaker 2: married on the first to get married, correct? So it's supposed to go to the first person, first person to get. Ok. Ok. So it's like the wedding, wedding, wedding. Pick it. Yes. Yeah, I think, I think I'm cool with it. Just pass it down whoever gets married first and get the price even if it is not you. Yeah, I think, I think it's fine. My siblings, we are non confrontational so I'll just give it to them.
Speaker 1: What a nice brother. Ok. Question number two. Traditional wedding or modern wedding. Definitely
Speaker 2: modern. But your mom would not agree to agree. It's not possible but I prefer for.
Speaker 1: So your wedding was a traditional eight course dinner kind of thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it is. Yeah. If I had a choice, wouldn't need a wedding at all. You just sign them done. Save so much trouble, save so much money. I hope
Speaker 1: your mother does not listen to this episode. This is why I'm starting a company to help people. Look OK. Third question. Big grand wedding or small intimate affair, small intimate
Speaker 2: affair, sir.
Speaker 1: How many people did you have for your wedding? Were your parents like wanted to invite everybody and anybody, everybody in the film
Speaker 2: industry. If it was not for COVID, they wanted 100 tables during the there's like 1000 1000 people, 1000 people. I was like, I I cannot do this, I cannot afford this. But what
Speaker 1: help you with the cause? I mean they wanted it.
Speaker 2: They invite those people say, if you want it, then you have to pay for it first. But I mean, it doesn't really matter because, I mean, their friends are pretty well to do so you will earn it back. But I think the issue is not, not so much of the money but a lot of the logistics, you know, you have to plan so 100 tables. Not funny. But because of COVID, I think we managed to, I think with only 500 I think still a lot LA is half 50 100 tables, right? You have to go around taking photos with 100 days of people. So you have to smell for like
Speaker 1: 100 times. That's the top of his concerns 100 times. Ok. Wedding gifts or wedding, wedding for sure, man. That's why I pick also use practical wedding for sure. Ok. Question follow up question. Was there an impractical wedding gift that you got? Ah
Speaker 2: I don't know if you say this but we got a photo frame? I cannot, I cannot say what brand but it's a very shiny photo frame. Ok. I think cost over $100 and my wife and I saw it and I was like, I think we don't need it. Let's just put on carousel. I think they were, it's quite high demand. I think maybe they want to buy the gift someone else. I don't know. Yeah, because if you have such a shiny photo frame, it's I don't know distracts you from the picture, right?
Speaker 1: You have a good point. Ok. So that's one of the more impractical ones. What about the most practical wedding
Speaker 2: gift? Most practical? I don't know, man, I don't think I have any practical wedding gifts. Right. Yeah, I think the,
Speaker 1: is the gift of finance helps you cover the cost and stuff like that? Ok. What's the biggest pa that you have received on your wedding, do you remember?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I recorded it down. Oh,
Speaker 1: nice.
Speaker 2: Love it. I think, I think it was over 1000. Yeah. And there were quite a few of it. Yeah. These people are there. What to do. They give my, my family face. Yeah. So it doesn't go in my pocket. I have to pay for the banker and I had a deal with my parents. I said that if you're going to pay for the banquet, then you can also have it. So that's a deal. I don't know how much she profited, how much she lost. But I think, I think at least we broke even. So I think we are very, very thankful
Speaker 1: that I'm very sure it's a profit. I don't know, man. Honestly, I've been listening to people like now, apparently it's hard to even break even. Right. Right. Like a wedding lunch at a restaurant can go up to like 230 bucks.
Speaker 2: Oh, yeah. It's like after the COVID. Yeah, the price is like, so, so inflated. I have, I have two weddings to attend this weekend. You know, so I'm going to be broke after that.
Speaker 1: Ok. On the other hand, what is the biggest Pao you've
Speaker 2: given? Oh, not a lot, I guess, maybe 200. Yeah. But it really depends on the market just to cover the,
Speaker 1: cover the cost. You also go to Singapore wedding
Speaker 2: also depends on the relationship that you have with the person. If you're probably closer to them. I think the friends around me, their weddings are not so flamboyant, they're actually quite simple. They are, they are like buffet wanted to do that and I got scolded. So I can't
Speaker 1: OK, last question, tell us more about wedding but, and, and how it evolved from Wedding P
Speaker 2: so Wedding P started as a play, my good friend Chelsea. She wrote it. I think the stage play was so good vy, I got the rights to it. And then we came up with a series. I think the series was pretty well received, I think especially with El and Regina's performance. A lot of love their performance, love their characters and then media c and then they decided to do OK, then we do an audio drama with it. Yeah. So for Wedding, but we actually expanded the world a lot of things in the video series. We cannot do like going to Paris, going back to the fifties or sixties. We cannot do all these in film in the video because it was so it will be so costly, very impractical. But a you just add some sound effects. I just add some audio French. French passes by all these and then we can create a world that can get listeners to imagine what it would be like if they were in Paris.
Speaker 1: This is why I love radio audio element with the step of finger. There you are across the world. So exciting. Wow. So let's say someone hasn't watched Wedding Pig. Can they still listen to Wedding? But and get it
Speaker 2: definitely, I think all the more you should listen to Wedding. But because we have more stories, we have more back stories. Yeah. Can understand the characters more, you can feel for the characters more and the characters are we expanded so that he has a fuller art is more complete and we have more perspectives on the same, on the same issue.
Speaker 1: Exciting. I can't wait for that to happen. So it's going to drop 20 24th, a fourth of January every Thursday all the way to the eighth of February right before Chinese New Year. So make sure you stay tuned to wedding. But all right, last but not least region. Any final words for listeners. He had harsh extra.
Speaker 2: Please catch a wedding but support us, support this audio drama. It's a new thing that we are doing, we're exploring and what he don't mention it's audio has so much the sky is the limit. We can do so many things and I'm so excited to show the world what we have and, and, and just tell our
Speaker 1: stories. And next week we're gonna be interviewing the actresses of Wedding P They are also gonna be in Wedding, but they are sel and Regina. So stay tuned to Harsh Podcast. Ok. Thank you so much for joining us. We stay tuned to Wedding, but thank you. Thank you.