Speaker 1: Now health matters with Daniel Martin. Thanks for joining me on health matters everybody. I'm Daniel Martin. And well, dementia is in the news again, specifically young onset dementia, there's people as young as their thirties and forties developing dementia. In a report on CN A dot Asia, you saw how the numbers that N I reports when it comes to young onset dementia in 2023 there were about 330 cases of which 91 were new. In 2013, there were 60 new cases at that time and the estimation is that there are possibly around 3700 people in Singapore who have young onset dementia. And in another report, it showed that according to a survey conducted by Milieu Insight and released together with dementia Singapore, that about half of the respondents probably not likely to get tested for young onset dementia even if they notice developing some of the symptoms. What is young onset dementia? We need to understand this better and that's why I've gotten the show. Associate Professor Adeline, a senior consultant from the Department of Neurology, the National Neuroscience Institute and Dementia Program. Lead professor, always an absolute pleasure. Thank you for coming back on the show.
Speaker 2: Good evening, Daniel. Always glad to be back.
Speaker 1: Let's break up some misconceptions about young onset dementia because some of the signs and symptoms when they're showing up at thirties and forties they think to themselves. No, this is just forgetfulness. This is just something else altogether. How do we know it's young onset dementia versus something else?
Speaker 2: Ok. So those who, um, present really early. So in their late thirties, early forties, most of the time those are, are, you know, Alzheimer's, that's truly inherited. So they would have had someone in their family who probably had dementia, right? But when we talk about young onset dementia, those are not the norm. Those are the rarer cases. Most of the time we're talking about patients who present the symptoms in their fifties or sixties. So that's the most common, um, period of time that they would present with, with symptoms for. Yeah, for the ones in their fifties and sixties, usually it's not something that's genetic or inherited. Although we know that there could be a gene called the apoe gene that may increase your risk of having Alzheimer's, but it's not the sort of Alzheimer's that you would definitely pass on to the next generation, right?
Speaker 1: So, yod, young onset dementia is technically more 50 sixties than thirties, forties.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So the ones in thirties, forties, you know, they are usually quite rare. They make up less than 5% of all Alzheimer's cases and those are the ones that do you know, in all likelihood, carry a mutation or a genetic cause of their condition?
Speaker 1: Ok. So, in those numbers from NNI 2023 around 330 cases of yod, of which 91 were new were those predominantly people in the early fifties and beyond.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So by definition, why are these below 65? Right, when they start having symptoms? So classically, it would be over in their fifties and sixties. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Right. Ok. And in your experience, how is it often picked up? What brings somebody in to get tested for it?
Speaker 2: To be honest, most of the time it's their family who brings them in. Uh, because at that age, like you rightly said, they don't think I could be having dementia in my fifties. I'm still quite young. Right. And they're working and sometimes even at work when they're making mistakes, colleagues don't tend to, um, be, feel comfortable enough to tell them that. Look, you're making mistakes, you're forgetting this and that. So usually it's the families who bring them in. But the, what we're seeing a lot more of is that when the families do notice some problems, some of the patients themselves are not so keen to come in for testing, um, often times even earlier stages of disease, they may lose a bit of insight into some of their impairments. And so they don't feel that they are actually declining and so hence, they refuse to come in for evaluation. So we often do get the younger dementias coming in often at a slightly later stage. I wouldn't, I wouldn't call it denial entirely on the part of the, the patient of the family. Although that does play a role sometimes, but usually it's really just a bit of a loss of insight into the impairment, but
Speaker 1: perfectly understandable. I can understand why because like, you don't know what resources to lead on. You don't know something as ephemeral as memory. You really don't know how to gauge whether or not it's a real health issue or not. Is there any advice you can give in terms of, you know, what to look out for and what should bring you in to see an expert even at that young age of your fifties,
Speaker 2: I think it's ok to seek medical help. Um Even if you go to primary care to your polyclinic and GP, you know, there's a lot of um you know, there are a lot of GPS and PO clinic doctors are now very skilled in, in, in diagnosing cognitive problems and knowing when to refer and often times it might be something reversible, right? So it could be something hormonal, something metabolic, um some thyroid dysfunction or even due to medication. Um So there are many different conditions that can cause cognitive impairment or difficulties that can be treated. So, I think if you know, you're in your fifties or early sixties and you feel something is not quite right. It's ok to just go and seek help and seek evaluation by a doctor.
Speaker 1: And usually this will be a very noninvasive thing. This will be like a, like a clinical assessment and maybe like some forms to fill up a service to do.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So at the bare minimum, you might get blood tests, you might get a couple of memory tests done by the doctor or the nurse in the clinic. And then you might be asked to go for a brain scan, right? If the doctor feels that it warrants doing an MRI scan or CT scan, they might suggest you go for one, some of the more invasive tests like where we collect cerebrospinal fluid, those are more specialist and we, we do that in NN I for younger dementias when we suspect Alzheimer's and we really want to confirm it with um various tests for the amyloid protein that um that causes Alzheimer's.
Speaker 1: So, ok, before we start talking a little bit more in terms of treatment and management of this, I'm curious, I mean, just look at those numbers. Would you say rates have held steady since 2013? If you look at population growth versus an actual increase, that warrants more attention.
Speaker 2: II, I think we are still seeing an increase in the numbers, but I think the numbers are varying and not. So um easy to track long term because there's increased awareness now. So also amongst the medical fraternity, lots of patients are getting diagnosed and treated outside of certain specialist centers, right? So that, yeah, so you know, definitely the numbers are growing. We do get referrals uh more and more. But what we are also seeing is also a default rate like what was uh you know, brought up and highlighted by the survey. So we do see quite a bit of defaults from patients with young onset dementia who may not practice, I know, decide not to come to the appointment as well.
Speaker 1: So estimations are they could be as many as 3700 cases per year in Singapore.
Speaker 2: I mean, that's the ongoing prevalence that we know about. There's probably more that we probably unable to track accurately at this point
Speaker 1: if you're developing it at an earlier age. And for these cases, the yod cases is that going to, you're going to have more years with it? And does that mean that the degradation is going to be more challenging to deal with versus finding it later?
Speaker 2: Well, if you hit the nail on the head, you know, we we always say very simply that if you have dementia in your in the older years, you are more likely to pass on from other medical problems, right, like heart disease, cancer and other things. But when you're younger, you're more likely to live, you know, with a healthy body, not much medical illness. Um but in a more cognitively impaired state. So there is what we do see is a lot of caregiver stress for the family because we all know, you know, as dementia progresses, sometimes we do get behavioral problems because of the lack of insight and other factors. And, you know, the behavioral problems really are difficult for the family to manage. So we find that even though the yod numbers don't seem to be as high as the older dimension numbers, the burden is often a lot higher. Yeah,
Speaker 1: exactly. So how is it managed? If it is Yod
Speaker 2: management is the same medically in terms of medical treatment in terms of, you know, drug therapy, um a few things, number one, the counseling and the hand holding of the partner and the family is very important. So if we try to handhold them from the time of diagnosis, we try to get the Children involved. I think oftentimes the couple in their fifties, they, their Children are still relatively young in their twenties, they don't want to involve the Children, but we often try to encourage them to involve the Children because, you know, the the the spouse will burn out very quickly in a short period of time. So apart from that, we also know that they have difficulty finding cognitive stimulating uh programs because they can't go to a normal daycare. And when they go to a daycare, everyone that is a lot older than them. They feel very uncomfortable. So, Dementia Singapore does run a very good program for Yod, got voices for hope and a lot of my patients attended and we found it very useful. Um So I highly recommend patients to check out the programs run by dementia SG. Um Also at N and I, we run a program once a week for, for patients with Yod that don't want to go to a daycare, but want to come and still be part of a small group setting, doing some therapy and doing activities in a small group so that they find some support as well. And that's where the caregivers can also find support from each other. So I think the main answer to your question is honestly support, support, support, uh coun counseling, even throughout the whole journey of the disease, sometimes the doctor and the clinical team has to re evaluate and we sort of refresh the whole prognosis with the family because you know, in the first instance, when you're told you have Y MD, it's not easy, it's not an easy thing to accept, you know, you think about it yourself, even the family goes through a whole period of denial, anger sometimes. So this is, I mean, the main thing of treatment is really just that supportive care with the family from, from from the point of diagnosis. Otherwise the medical treatment is the same.
Speaker 1: It is so important to talk about those resources that you can lean on that you just described the support groups, the care networks, educating the family as well in terms of what can be done. I think that's very powerful. Is there anything around the, the lifestyle that needs to change for that individual? It's really about the support and the care works more so than anything else. Right.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So, I mean, it's, it's not new knowledge that, you know, controlling your lifestyle. Risk factors. Exercise is all important for reducing the risk of dementia. We also know good sleep is important, you know, when you sleep to echo what you've learned that day and they found that you don't sleep well, you have problems clearing all these toxic proteins. Um But recently the Lancet Commission for dementia, just big, you know, group of experts in dementia just published one month ago, certain additional factors that they found were important respectors for developing dementia, including hearing loss and vision loss as well as high as high cholesterol. So it is something we we often struggle with in the clinic. So vision loss is, is easier to manage. The patients tend to want to go and see a doctor when they can't see, right. They want to get treated but hearing loss, it's very hard to get patients to wear the hearing aid and understandably because often it's not comfortable, they don't find it help
Speaker 1: but so powerful to hear that controlling those two can be a contributing and helpful factor as well. Professor, and we're gonna have to leave it as there. Don't forget everybody can look up that Lancet report as well, hearing health and eye health and its impact here as well. Associate Professor Adeline, senior consultant from the Department of Neurology at the National Neuroscience Institute and Dementia program lead. Before making any decisions based on the information in our program, please consult a medical professional.