Becky Kopitzke: For my own kids, I try to teach them there are other kids around you, and just, as you said open your eyes. And the importance of doing that is when we open our eyes, it causes us to recognize, beyond ourselves, that there are people all around us, there are people that we can serve, and it helps us to get off of our own, out of our own head.
John Fuller: That's Becky Kopitzke, and she joins us today on Focus on the Family. Uh, thank you for being with us. Your host is Focus president and author, Jim Daly, and I'm John Fuller.
Jim Daly: John, before we launch into our program today, uh, let me say Happy Thanksgiving-
John Fuller: Indeed.
Jim Daly: ... from everyone here at Focus on the Family to you. Uh, let me ask you, John, does Thanksgiving tradition, what, what do you guys do, you and Dana?
John Fuller: It's usually a lot of people. And for many, many years, especially when the kids were younger, we had, uh, two or three families getting together.
Jim Daly: (laughs)
John Fuller: Which meant 20 kids. There was always activity, lots of things. And then as the kids got older, they started inviting their friends over to our house, and so that meant we had 15 or 20 people in the house.
Jim Daly: Yeah. That's for sure.
John Fuller: How about you?
Jim Daly: We tease Jean, it's so funny 'cause Jean wants to go around the table, I think we're gonna have 14 people this year.
John Fuller: ( laughs)
Jim Daly: Big table. You got your kid's table, the adult table, that whole thing. But she wants to hear why everybody is thankful. And we have done this every year. And we start laughing, and we say, " Okay, let's go to why everybody's thankful." But it really ends up being the highlight of the Thanksgiving dinner. Right at the end when we're all done and kicking back, we just go around the table and talk about looking over the last year, what are we thankful for?
John Fuller: Yeah, that's a good practice.
Jim Daly: Yeah. And so, I hope that you in your heart or expressed after that big piece of pumpkin pie can think about what you're thankful for. You know, Paul writes in First Thessalonians 5:18, " Give thanks in all circumstances." Not some, all circumstances. " For this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you." So today, we want to highlight ways you can bless your family and others during Thanksgiving, uh, stemming from a heart of gratitude at Thanksgiving. Our friend Becky has some great thoughts on how to do that.
John Fuller: And Becky Kopitzke has been here before. She's married to Chad. They have two girls, Clara and Noel. And she coaches Christian writers, and speakers, podcasters, and creators, and uh, is an author herself. And we've talked about this book, we're coming back to it because it's so good, it's called Love Because: How to Change the World One Blessing at a Time. And of course, we have copies of that here. Click the link in the show notes.
Jim Daly: Becky, welcome back to Focus.
Becky Kopitzke: Thank you. It's so fun to be here.
Jim Daly: It-
Becky Kopitzke: It's always fun.
Jim Daly: It's, it's, you bring the fun. You're like the party in a box.
Becky Kopitzke: ( laughs). Well-
Jim Daly: Here we go.
Becky Kopitzke: We were saying it is a holiday today, so we ought to be having a party.
Jim Daly: That's exactly right. You know, you're the mom of, you know this, you're the mom of two girls, did you know that? ( laughs)
Becky Kopitzke: I, last I checked, I still am. (laughs)
John Fuller: (laughs)
Jim Daly: How old are your girls?
Becky Kopitzke: They are now 15 and 12.
Jim Daly: Oh, that is so-
Becky Kopitzke: Yes.
Jim Daly: I, I, ah, ours are 22 and 20.
Becky Kopitzke: Sophomore and 7th grade, yeah.
Jim Daly: And I, I would love to go back there. It sounds funny, but it's just such a great time.
Becky Kopitzke: It is really a fun time.
Jim Daly: So what is something at Thanksgiving that you guys have done as a tradition?
Becky Kopitzke: Well, as a tradition, we do get together with all of the family. And, um, we-
Jim Daly: You sound pretty excited about that. ( laughs)
Becky Kopitzke: (laughs). I love all of the family.
Jim Daly: Mom and dad, she didn't mean it that way.
Becky Kopitzke: (laughs). We have to get together with all of the family. (laughs)
Jim Daly: (laughs). Okay, so you're together.
Becky Kopitzke: Yes, I love the extended family. But for us, our traditions largely surround food and just the idea of recognizing and counting our blessings. I am that mom, you know, I'm with Jean here, because I am that mom who says, " Let's really think about what are we thankful for, where has God blessed us, and let's not be afraid to talk about it." And I get the same jokes, " Okay mom says we have to talk about what we're thankful for."
Jim Daly: (laughs). Yeah. It is good.
Becky Kopitzke: But we give them the opportunity to do that. And as we go around that table, people actually start to pipe up and say, " Well, I am thankful for this, and this, and this." And maybe they haven't even thought about it all year round.
Jim Daly: Exactly right.
Becky Kopitzke: So, it gives us an opportunity to do that.
Jim Daly: You know, at Thanksgiving, uh, just generally the attitude of Thanksgiving, why do you think that would be important to God that His creation m- you know, expresses Thanksgiving? Kinda like where He's coming from.
Becky Kopitzke: Absolutely. We owe it all to Him. We owe everything to Him. And so Thanksgiving is not just for the capital T, Thanksgiving Day, thanks giving should be something we do daily. The Bible is filled with versus and passages on the importance of gratitude, the importance of generosity, of God's generosity to us.
Jim Daly: Mmm.
Becky Kopitzke: And if we think that top of mind on a day- to- day basis, our outpouring ought to be thanks for everything he's given us.
Jim Daly: It's so good. Now with kids, we all have, you know, children, uh, you know, anywhere from your youngest girl to ... How old's your oldest, John?
John Fuller: He's in his mid- 30s almost.
Jim Daly: Okay. There we go. That's, well you never stop that, uh, parenting relationship.
John Fuller: No.
Jim Daly: But-
John Fuller: It's always good.
Jim Daly: But in that context, you know, younger kids today, there's so much, seemingly so much an attitude of entitlement.
Becky Kopitzke: Yes.
Jim Daly: That, you know, to be thankful when you're saying, " Well, of, of course I deserve this trophy. I showed up."
Becky Kopitzke: (laughs)
John Fuller: ( laughs)
Jim Daly: But, uh, that's not really how it works.
Becky Kopitzke: No.
Jim Daly: So how, and how do we as Christian parents, how do we battle that attitude of entitlement with our teens and 20- somethings even?
Becky Kopitzke: Yeah. Well, I recognized awhile back that the important step that all parents ought to take, I was not doing this well, is to model it for them.
Jim Daly: Huh, there you go. (laughs)
Becky Kopitzke: Am I modeling gratitude for my kids? When I think throughout a day what I'm complaining about, or um, what I'm feeling like I deserve and I'm not getting, what am I teaching them?
Jim Daly: Yeah.
Becky Kopitzke: I'm not teaching them gratitude by my own actions. So, that becomes key, especially as the kids get older and enter this age of, a lot of people will joke that teenagers are all entitled, uh, but maybe it's because they picked it up from us.
Jim Daly: Parents love the teenage punching bag opportunity. ( laughs)
Becky Kopitzke: Yes. (laughs)
Jim Daly: Some of it's true, and you know, we get that, but it's so funny. I think of, uh, you know, correcting a teen with anger problems. And you're going, " Now listen, I'm tellin' you anger is not a fruit of the spirit." (laughs)
Becky Kopitzke: (laughs). Right.
Jim Daly: And they're going, "Okay, dad." (laughs)
Becky Kopitzke: Yeah. (laughs)
John Fuller: I can kinda tell.
Jim Daly: You gotta model it, right? That's what you're saying.
Becky Kopitzke: Yeah, we've gotta model it.
Jim Daly: Are there practical things you do to, to cultivate a sense of gratitude in your life?
Becky Kopitzke: Yeah, absolutely. Uh, like I said, first of all I recognize my own mouth, what is coming out of my mouth, right?
Jim Daly: (laughs). I love that.
Becky Kopitzke: And so it's, it's things like stepping in front of the refrigerator and complaining, " There's nothing here to eat." Well, is that really true?
Jim Daly: Well, in fact, you had a story about that. What happened?
Becky Kopitzke: I do. ( laughs). I, I opened up the refrigerator, " Got to feed these people again", right?
Jim Daly: It's dinnertime, or nearing.
Becky Kopitzke: It's dinnertime. It's nearing dinnertime. And we hadn't been to the grocery store in a while. And so what we had were leftovers or a few scraps here and there. Our scraps is actually someone else's feast, if you think about it.
Jim Daly: Right.
Becky Kopitzke: There are people in this world, in our own communities, who are not blessed with the same abundance of food that we have. I have a pantry that I can't even walk into because it's so filled with snacks from Costco, right? And so the fact that I thought I had nothing to make for dinner was really a perspective issue for me. I needed to step back and say, " Wait a minute, we are so blessed with this abundance of food." And the kids would probably be thrilled if I made pancakes for dinner, 'cause we can always make pancakes. ( laughs)
Jim Daly: I would be thrilled. ( laughs)
Becky Kopitzke: Right? (laughs)
Jim Daly: (laughs)
Becky Kopitzke: And so, it's that attitude that I don't have what I need, or I'm focused on what I want and isn't right in front of me, instead of counting all of these blessings and these opportunities that God has given us in our own families, because the kids are watching me.
Jim Daly: Yeah.
Becky Kopitzke: You know, I have to deal with that between the Lord and me, right? I have an, if I have an issue with my gratitude, that's between the Lord and me, but there are people in my household who are watching.
Jim Daly: Well when Jean's out for the evening or something, if she's out with girlfriends, what I don't tell her is, uh, we usually have cereal night. (laughs)
Becky Kopitzke: ( laughs). Of course you do.
Jim Daly: She of course planned a big meal, but I said, " How about some cereal boys?"
Becky Kopitzke: ( laughs)
Jim Daly: They were like, "Dad, that's great."
John Fuller: Make it easy. Yeah.
Jim Daly: (laughs)
Becky Kopitzke: They probably look forward to it, right? I-
Jim Daly: It became a special treat.
Becky Kopitzke: I'm pretty sure that right now I am here in Colorado Springs, and my family's back in Wisconsin, pretty sure last night was a take- out night, you know, there were burgers involved or something that had nothing to do with mom's plan for nutritious meals, or actually it's dad's the one these days-
John Fuller: Because there was no food, there was no food in the fridge, Becky, that's why.
Becky Kopitzke: There was no food in the fridge. No.
Jim Daly: (laughs)
Becky Kopitzke: No, right? All we had were packs of chips. ( laughs)
Jim Daly: Yeah, I like that.
John Fuller: Well, Becky, you had a moment where you, uh, realized that being thankful could really change your relationship with your husband.
Becky Kopitzke: Yeah.
John Fuller: It sounds like it was kind of a mundane day, but somethin' popped in your head, some light bulb went off. What happened?
Becky Kopitzke: Yeah, absolutely. It was an average day, as you know, most of our lessons begin as an average day. (laughs). But my husband had grilled some dinner for the family, especially in the summertime that's pretty standard. He'll grill something, and then I'll handle the side dishes. And we were going through our routine, this is just the division of labor in our family. And we all ate the dinner. And I'm thinking ahead to the dishes that I've got to do. But instead, I took a second and I looked up at him and I said, " Thank you for grilling." And it was as though the environment around us just softened a bit, because I acknowledged that even though the assumption in our family is that he will grill and I will make the corn, or the rice, or I will you know, do the dishes, that division of labor is more than just something we assume of each other, it's a way that we're serving the family. And when I stopped for a second and told him thank you for that, I realized that this is something he does on a regular basis, and I've just not even been acknowledging it. I've been taking for granted his part.
Jim Daly: Now would you say that ... Yeah, would you say that if the meat was burnt a little bit?
Becky Kopitzke: Uh, ( laughs).
Jim Daly: " Thank you for grilling. My meat's a little burnt", but ...
Becky Kopitzke: I'll tell you, I actually prefer it that way, because ... ( laughs)
Jim Daly: Yeah, well I'm kinda, I think I'm offering my lack of skills here, but my, uh, my beef skills are usually a little over the fried side.
John Fuller: Yeah, well ...
Becky Kopitzke: Because it, it's not the result that matters.
Jim Daly: Oh, good. Ooh.
Becky Kopitzke: It's ... So, you're off the hook here, Jim. You're off the hook.
Jim Daly: Okay, that makes me feel better.
Becky Kopitzke: And, because you know, I, I burn carrots for goodness' sake. (laughs)
Jim Daly: ( laughs)
Becky Kopitzke: And it's, it's the effort that we're taking on a day to day basis to care for the family, to care for the household. And when we acknowledge that, I think we just meet this inherent need that we all have to feel seen, and to feel as though we've done something that has contributed.
Jim Daly: Right, and I like that idea of a thankful heart towards your spouse.
Becky Kopitzke: Yeah.
Jim Daly: That's what you're saying. Find something-
Becky Kopitzke: Yeah, it's a thankful heart.
Jim Daly: ... to be thankful about.
Becky Kopitzke: And it doesn't have to be something big, it can be the fact that he mowed the lawn. I try to make an effort if my husband has mowed the lawn, I don't wanna mow the lawn, so I'll say, " Thank you for doing that." Just to acknowledge that he has played that part in the family. And some people might say, " Well my husband doesn't care about words of affirmation, so he would just laugh at me." There are other ways to show gratitude. It's, the whole idea is a heart attitude toward the people that we're doing life with day- by- day.
Jim Daly: Yeah. Yeah. That's what's so important in the end. You had a dream that shook you back into a sense of gratitude the book talked about. What happened?
Becky Kopitzke: Yeah. Well, my husband had been gone for a weekend. He was gone hunting. He's an avid hunter. And, um, I support that, I make space for that in our household. And so, in supporting his interests, especially when the kids were younger, I would take on the burden of what was left at home. And when the kids were small, that was a difficulty for me. But I was just fed up that weekend. My kids were bickering and I just felt overburdened. I wanted a break. He got to go off to the woods to think, uh, you know, happy thoughts for a couple of days, ( laughs), with nobody chattering around him. And, and I was exhausted. And I really had just had it with my family. My husband came home that night, and I had a dream that I was single in my parent's basement, living in my parent's basement, and my mother was bugging me to get onto eHarmony and meet somebody. And I woke up with a start. And I thought, wait a second, and I kinda tapped the side of the bed, my husband's here. I'm married. I've, you know, fast- forwarded from that part of my life.
Jim Daly: It was that real feeling dream.
Becky Kopitzke: Yeah, like oh that ...
Jim Daly: Yeah, those are-
Becky Kopitzke: That wasn't, that dream wasn't real.
Jim Daly: Yeah.
Becky Kopitzke: And all of a sudden it came flooding back to me that I've always wanted this family life. I've always wanted the family life. I've always wanted my own washing machine. And I've wanted children to raise-
Jim Daly: (laughs)
Becky Kopitzke: ... and a husband, and God has blessed me with those things. But I recognized that they had become the very thing I was complaining about on a regular basis.
Jim Daly: Well, and some women right now are saying, " Well, what do you get for your space?" So they're not mad at Chad, do you get an opportunity to be with the girlfriends, and do the things you wanna do outside the home?
Becky Kopitzke: I do. Because we d- we are deliberate-
Jim Daly: Yeah.
Becky Kopitzke: ... about finding that balance.
Jim Daly: Which is a good thing to do.
Becky Kopitzke: It is a good thing to do. And he'll recognize he got his hunting weekend, so I'm going to take this evening out for dinner with girlfriends.
Jim Daly: Yeah.
Becky Kopitzke: Or I'm gonna go ... I tell him, " I'm going shopping because it's my hunting trip."
Jim Daly: ( laughs)
John Fuller: ( laughs)
Becky Kopitzke: And everything that you spent on hunting gear-
Jim Daly: Uh-oh. (laughs)
Becky Kopitzke: ... I will now spend at the mall. ( laughs)
Jim Daly: I think that, I think it's a good quid pro quo, that's what I'm hearing. You mentioned the me weeds, uh, speak to the me weeds. This is our flesh, this is our sinful nature. What are the me weeds?
Becky Kopitzke: Me weeds are those ... It's those aspects of our heart that are wrapped up in, uh, being self- absorbed, or being prideful. Anything that happens in our lives that chokes out our ability to recognize our blessings. And so, for example, one of them for me is self- absorption. If I am so focused on what I have to do in a day, what I've got to get done, and I'm not looking outside of myself to think of other people, it's impossible to bless the people around you. It's impossible to be grateful for them when you don't even see them. When we don't even-
Jim Daly: Yeah. It's kinda like the list. The list is more important than the people.
Becky Kopitzke: Yes.
Jim Daly: Yeah, I, I think, listen, a lot of women have lists. A lot of men do too, but Jean has a list.
Becky Kopitzke: Yeah. A to-do list.
Jim Daly: Or two, or three, or four. ( laughs)
Becky Kopitzke: On a daily basis, and there's something really therapeutic about checking off the list.
Jim Daly: Mm- hmm.
Becky Kopitzke: But in doing so-
Jim Daly: Yeah.
Becky Kopitzke: ... what have we missed?
Jim Daly: Yeah, being thorough. I mean, I appreciate it 'cause I'm not a list maker.
Becky Kopitzke: Yeah.
Jim Daly: So, it actually saves my bacon.
Becky Kopitzke: ( laughs). I'll be it does.
Jim Daly: If I can stick with that metaphor.
John Fuller: ( laughs)
Becky Kopitzke: I keep liking Jean better and better the more we h- talk about her.
Jim Daly: Oh yeah. No, I, I'm glad she's a list maker.
Becky Kopitzke: Yeah.
Jim Daly: 'Cause we'd have a lot of chaos if she wasn't makin' the list.
Becky Kopitzke: (laughs)
Jim Daly: But it is true, uh, sometimes I'm not happy about that list. ( laughs)
Becky Kopitzke: ( laughs). Does she give you your own list?
Jim Daly: Oh no, not too often. She'll just ask very kindly, " Could you do such and such?" And then of course she puts the reminders on that tower thing in the kitchen. You know?
John Fuller: Ah, yes.
Jim Daly: You know? So that, that thing-
John Fuller: Just to make sure.
Jim Daly: ... then pops up an hour later, " Remind Jim to", whatever, fill- in- the- blank. So it's all fun.
Becky Kopitzke: ( laughs)
Jim Daly: Um, you mentioned the four P's of blessing, presence, possessions, perspective, and prayer. Kinda fill those out.
Becky Kopitzke: Yeah. Sure. These are the four ways that we can bless the people around us. I've put them into these categories to make it easy to remember, ( laughs), but your presence is essentially are you available for people? Do you look them in the eye when you talk to them? Are you looking outside of yourself and seeing that there are people all around you who could benefit from your attention, and from your love.
Jim Daly: I'm feeling convicted by that right now, so ...
Becky Kopitzke: Yeah, it's very-
Jim Daly: You look them in the eye? (laughs)
Becky Kopitzke: When you're talking to them. And I think of this with my children.
Jim Daly: Oh, yeah.
Becky Kopitzke: How often do I just do life alongside my children.
Jim Daly: So true.
Becky Kopitzke: But I'm not actually infusing life into my children by stopping to listen to what they're saying. 'CAuse I've got the to- do list, and I'm working hard, and I work from home.
Jim Daly: Yeah.
Becky Kopitzke: And my kids are there, and they're talking to me, and I may listen with half an ear, and then look up, and they'll look at me like mom, did you just hear what I said? So to look them in the eye is so important. And then blessing with our possessions is simply recognizing the abundance that we've been blessed with, and being willing to share it with other people. And we're s- so many of us, I should speak just for myself, but I am particular, or I'm very focused on making sure that I'm operating with good stewardship in my business, in my work. But it's so important to look at the abundance God has given us, and to share it with other people. It doesn't have to be big. I'm not talking about writing big checks. I, I like to say, I mean this kindly, but writing big checks can be easy. But getting up and close and personal with someone who has a need that you can fulfill with your possessions, maybe it's just a cup of coffee-
Jim Daly: Yeah, that's good.
Becky Kopitzke: ... that you hand to someone. That's so important.
Jim Daly: Hang on one second. If you'd like to write a check, please send it to Focus on the Family.
John Fuller: ( laughs)
Becky Kopitzke: (laughs)
Jim Daly: No. (laughs). Right at the end of the year here, I just thought it was a good place to mention that, John. I don't know.
John Fuller: 809, yeah.
Becky Kopitzke: Yeah, for those checks are (inaudible) . ( laughs)
Jim Daly: Yeah, keep ... Sorry, keep movin'.
Becky Kopitzke: ( laughs). So important.
Jim Daly: ( laughs)
Becky Kopitzke: Perspective is another one. The how are we looking at people? Are we looking at people the way God looks at them? Or are we walking into church and seeing somebody who looks different from us, acts different from us? And casting judgment on that person, or presuming something about that person based on external appearances? Or are we just open to the idea that our perspective of other people should be the same as God's perspective on people, which is that he created each of us for a purpose, on purpose. So, that a- alone when we are open to the idea of getting to know other people is important.
Jim Daly: Mmm.
Becky Kopitzke: And then finally, prayer. Prayer I think is the one thing we all can do.
Jim Daly: Mm-hmm.
Becky Kopitzke: It should not a last resort. It's the one thing we all can do, whether we have possessions, whether we have a- abundance of time or not. Prayer is something that we all can do that directly invokes the action of God.
Jim Daly: Let me, uh, camp in some of these and ask you some questions to help fill that out a little bit, 'cause we were movin' pretty fast there. But you had a story about possessions in the book, uh, something called the Agent Rusty Fish.
Becky Kopitzke: Yeah.
Jim Daly: What was that all about? ( laughs)
Becky Kopitzke: Oh, I love this story, and I could take no credit for it because some friends of ours, Mike and Vicky, told us that when their daughter was in high school, their daughter Carly is now grown and she has kids of her own. But when she was in high school, they wanted to instill in her a sense of generosity towards others, to be aware of needs. So they asked her to intentionally look for kids in her school who had a need and then to come home and tell them about it, and they would pray over it, and they would meet the need. And they called this, it was a covert operation. They called it Agent Rusty Fish.
Jim Daly: (laughs)
Becky Kopitzke: And it was named after some rustic silly lantern at their cottage, Rusty Fish. And so, they would actually pray over these needs, and then they would write letters, anonymous letters signed Agent Rusty Fish. And they would give whatever it is the student needed. Maybe if someone was short on funds to pay for lunch, they would get food cards. There was another student who had needed some important ski equipment fixed, and so they would provide funds for these types of things, or material blessings. But always, Vicky said, it was the letter that made the big difference, because she just loved to be able to speak into these kid's lives, and show them that they were seen.
Jim Daly: Ah.
Becky Kopitzke: That they were seen, and that someone knew their need and was willing to meet it. And so now the cover is blown, you know, years later everybody knows now it was Mike and Vicky, largely because Vicky let me tell this story. ( laughs)
Jim Daly: Yeah, right. (laughs)
Becky Kopitzke: And it was-
Jim Daly: You blew the cover.
Becky Kopitzke: ... Carly all along. I did. I did.
Jim Daly: (laughs)
Becky Kopitzke: But I just love that idea of teaching our kids to look for needs among other students.
Jim Daly: Yeah. I like the concept though of helping them pray that through as well though, 'cause it is easy to just ... And we don't do enough of it. I say it's easy, but we should do more of that material blessing with people.
Becky Kopitzke: Yeah.
Jim Daly: It's a great way to do it with your kids in school.
Becky Kopitzke: Yeah.
Jim Daly: That's awesome. But the prayer component's really critical too, 'cause you're teaching your children so many good-
Becky Kopitzke: Yeah.
Jim Daly: ... habits and directionally really helping them understand the bigger spiritual battles that go on.
Becky Kopitzke: Absolutely.
Jim Daly: So describe that, you know, prayin' through some of those things.
Becky Kopitzke: Yeah. Well, and when we bring it to the Lord in prayer, we're acknowledging that He's the source of all of our blessings. He's the one who gives us anything that we can use then to pay forward to other people. And it's also being discerning. This is a need I saw, but Lord is it me that you want to fill it? Do you have another plan perhaps? Or am I stepping in on, uh, someone else's opportunity to bless? And, and so it just really brings the Lord into the conversation and helps our kids recognize that He ought to be a part of every conversation when we're talking about decisions on how to use our resources in particular.
Jim Daly: Yeah.
Becky Kopitzke: It's important.
Jim Daly: The, uh, the practical nature of that too, just keeping your eyes open to opportunity. I mean, they, if, it seems like they kind of curtailed it, or aimed it, at those, uh, school interactions.
Becky Kopitzke: Yes, because-
Jim Daly: What are some other practical ways you can do that?
Becky Kopitzke: Well, again, because what we say is teenagers are entitled, and so you battle against that entitlement by filling them with lessons on how to be aware of what else is going on. And so-
Jim Daly: Right.
Becky Kopitzke: In, in my case, for my own kids, I try to teach them there are other kids around you, and just as you said, open your eyes. And the importance of doing that is when we open our eyes, it causes us to recognize beyond ourselves that there are people all around us, there are people that we can serve. And it helps us to get off of our own, out of our own head. Because often, especially teenagers I think, their, their world is small, and it's very much filled with angst.
Jim Daly: It's kinda the normal course of growth.
Becky Kopitzke: It is.
Jim Daly: I mean, that's why it's so common, and why there's jokes about it.
Becky Kopitzke: Yep.
Jim Daly: 'Cause that's just like the normal development of human beings. We tend to be selfish early.
Becky Kopitzke: Yep.
Jim Daly: Teen years, you're myopic. You don't really ... You're developing connection with other people, which would be empathy. But it's just-
Becky Kopitzke: Yes.
Jim Daly: ... kinda comin' around at that time, unless you have an exceptional child, which you might, where that, that child just really is in tune with other people around 'em. But normally, that's blossoming during those years.
Becky Kopitzke: It is. And it's age appropriate, right?
Jim Daly: Right.
Becky Kopitzke: It's age appropriate behavior, so I, I don't want to disparage kids and say that they shouldn't be behaving this way, because scripture says, you know, " Folly is bound in the heart of a child." (laughs). And so, it's a natural party of growth.
Jim Daly: Yeah.
Becky Kopitzke: So we as parents have an opportunity to speak into that, and help them open their eyes beyond themselves.
Jim Daly: Kinda water them. (laughs)
Becky Kopitzke: Yes, exactly.
Jim Daly: If you look at it that way.
Becky Kopitzke: Exactly. And, and when they do that, when they start to see that other kids have problems or needs, it also helps them in a way to feel better about their own.
Jim Daly: Yeah. I'm thinkin' about it, how many times did we teach our kids to say please and thank you?
Becky Kopitzke: Yes. ( laughs)
Jim Daly: I mean, I didn't count them, but I bet I said, " Hey, remember to say please or thank you", 20,000 times. I mean, it's probably close to that.
John Fuller: (laughs)
Becky Kopitzke: Yeah, 40,000 times.
Jim Daly: And then there's this day, there's this wild crazy day that all of a sudden you overhear your child say, " Please", or, " Thank you." And you go, " They got it, they got it."
Becky Kopitzke: (laughs)
Jim Daly: I mean now-
Becky Kopitzke: It only took 20 years.
Jim Daly: Yeah, whether it's at 15 or 13 is kinda the battle, but it's-
Becky Kopitzke: Yeah.
Jim Daly: ... awesome to hear your kids eventually absorbing those great ideas. ( laughs)
Becky Kopitzke: Yes.
Jim Daly: And then putting them into action.
Becky Kopitzke: Right, that you knew all along were a great idea. (laughs)
Jim Daly: Okay, this is Thanksgiving. Uh, so let's, uh, think of some ways we can incorporate gratitude and blessing others.
Becky Kopitzke: Yeah.
Jim Daly: What are some more suggestions you might have?
Becky Kopitzke: Some of my favorite ideas are, especially for those families who don't want to go around the room and talk about what they're thankful for. (laughs)
Jim Daly: (laughs). Little pressure there, actually.
Becky Kopitzke: Yeah. (laughs). It feels like a lot of pressure. But I like the idea of a Thanksgiving tablecloth with, of paper, as they do at some super fancy Italian restaurants, ( laughs), with a box of crayons and a paper on the tablecloth.
Jim Daly: Oh, and write it.
Becky Kopitzke: And write out what am I thankful for?
Jim Daly: I hadn't thought of that.
Becky Kopitzke: The little kids can draw pictures. Just what are we thankful for this year? And if the family sits down to a table that is filled with notes and pictures of their, their blessings, that just makes the whole event more festive, I think.
Jim Daly: Absolutely.
Becky Kopitzke: Yeah. And then also, I like the idea of sending Thanksgiving cards. Little late now, but you know, next year. Think about this for next year.
Jim Daly: Yeah.
Becky Kopitzke: Instead of Christmas cards, why not Thanksgiving cards? Again, to acknowledge that God is a part of the Thanksgiving holiday and the attitude of, of gratitude. And so, uh, acknowledge what your blessings have been, um, allow people to see into your life a little bit-
Jim Daly: Mmm.
Becky Kopitzke: ... through a Thanksgiving card before the barrage of Christmas cards. And yours might even stand out a little bit. Um, also I like the idea of gratitude packages, which are bundles of treats that you can send to people in your life who serve you.
Jim Daly: Mmm.
Becky Kopitzke: That might be your orthodontics, it might be your mail carrier.
Jim Daly: Wait a minute, I don't have to go that far, do I? ( laughs)
Becky Kopitzke: Oh, you know what? Because the orthodontics is already getting a lot of my gratitude, ( laughs), I say that with air quotes. But sure.
Jim Daly: That's pretty funny.
Becky Kopitzke: People who are serving your family on a day- to- day basis, uh, you know maybe, maybe it's a teacher. Uh, maybe it's a neighbor. Somebody who you want to bless. But come up with packages, and just say thank you for what they've done for you that year.
Jim Daly: Mmm.
Becky Kopitzke: And then one of my favorites is a thank prank. So this is something-
Jim Daly: Yeah, tell me about the thank prank.
Becky Kopitzke: (laughs)
Jim Daly: 'Cause I was tryin' to think okay what could I do? I would be drawn to this. It's part of who I am. (laughs)
Becky Kopitzke: (laughs)
Jim Daly: The thank prank.
Becky Kopitzke: Yes. It's fun. So my family and I came up with this a, a few years ago. Essentially, you come up with a little bag of treats, and there's a sheet of paper on the outside that says, " You've been thank pranked." Essentially, thank you for who you are in our lives, thank you for all that you've done for us. This bag of treats, you put it on their porch, ring the doorbell, run away. And then inside of the bag is a replica of that same sheet of paper that they then can use to pass onto somebody else.
Jim Daly: Oh.
Becky Kopitzke: So it's a pay it forward kind of a thing.
Jim Daly: Okay.
Becky Kopitzke: Just thank you for who you are and what you've done. Our gr- our family is grateful for you. Now pass this on to someone who has served your family this year.
Jim Daly: So it could be a gift card or anything.
Becky Kopitzke: Yeah.
Jim Daly: Doesn't have to be candy.
Becky Kopitzke: Yeah. No, well it always should be candy, Jim. ( laughs)
Jim Daly: (laughs). That's the part I'm missin' here. No, I think it should be a donut.
Becky Kopitzke: Yeah. ( laughs)
Jim Daly: (laughs)
Becky Kopitzke: Whatever floats your boat, it better go in that bag. But absolutely, just some sort of a thank you gift. And encourage-
Jim Daly: Yeah.
Becky Kopitzke: ... encourage the paying it forward.
Jim Daly: Uh, Becky, this has been so good, and I appreciate the reminder that Thanksgiving can happen every day of the year. That's the attitude of getting God into Thanksgiving, right? This is a characteristic, or an attribute, of His character.
Becky Kopitzke: Yeah.
Jim Daly: Being thankful and grateful, uh, for the things in your life, for the people in your life. And being able to express that-
Becky Kopitzke: Yeah.
Jim Daly: ... on a consistent basis. And, now I'm so happy that Jean has been a great driver in our family in that regard. And I think the boys feel it, and it's part of their personality now, and I love that. Thanks for bein' with us.
Becky Kopitzke: Thank you for having me.
Jim Daly: Let me turn to the listener. Focus on the Family is here for you. We want to help your marriage, and help you in that parenting journey. That's our mission. So many people don't realize Focus is just a huge treasure trove of information and help for you. I don't think after 45 years there's a question we can't answer and help you with. So, call us, uh, get in touch with us. Let us, uh, be part of that parenting or marriage journey with you, and help you do the best you can do, because that really first and foremost honors the Lord in doing your marriage well, and being a good parent, and teaching your kids, uh, Godly truth, right? That's what it's all about. And, uh, I want you to do that. So, get in touch with us. Nothing's going to be embarrassing. We will help you. And I'd also like encourage you to give family's hope this year. We're right at the end of the year now, the big drive goes on. That was kind of a joke about writing the check, (laughs), but no that's how it works. And we would love to hear from you. Be part of the ministry. That's as easy as I could say it. Uh, this accrues to your account with the Lord when you do ministry through Focus on the Family. I'll commit to running it effectively and efficiently so you and your family can do ministry through it.
John Fuller: Mmm. And, uh, when you get in touch, and uh, make that contribution, please know that our thank you for joining the support team is a copy of Becky's book, Love Because: How to Change the World One Blessing at a Time. Donate and learn more at our website. The links are in the show notes. Or call 800, the letter A, and the word family. On behalf of Jim Daly and the entire team, thanks for joining us today for Focus on the Family. I'm John Fuller inviting you back as we once again help you and your family thrive in Christ.