Speaker 1: Hello and welcome to Arch Eats with me. As always is my co-host and cohort Cheryl beer. This episode of Arch Eat is sponsored by Saint Louis symphony orchestra. In this episode that we've dubbed the Love Connection Cheryl and I are going to discuss our picks for the most romantic restaurants in town as well as where we spend a romantic breakfast, lunch and dinner. Then we'll end up as we always do with a rant. This one on to go boxes. There's a right way and a wrong way to do it in our opinion. But first, we always start off with what I can't stop thinking about and I'm gonna butt right in line as I usually do here and go. First, I had a caprese salad uh not long ago just to see how the wintertime tomatoes tasted because I'm not a big fan. You broke the rules. I know, but these were really good, not, you know, summertime, mid July good but really good. And I found out that they came from Tony White A K A Tony Tomato. Tony's family farms who he's, he's all around town. He sources in the off season. He sources hydroponic tomatoes from a nearby grower until his gardens get going and growing in the springtime. But those of you that have eaten wintertime tomatoes around town at some of the better restaurants have had Tony's tomatoes. Uh, the crossing Westchester, an guns twisted tree. Tony supplies all these and you see a big fat red, ripe tomato in the wintertime we have Tony tomato to thank. Ok. How is that for alliteration? Tony tomato? Well, I
Speaker 2: was wondering about that because I have been seeing them on a lot of menus around town and that's, I mean, it just goes against everything you're told about eating in season and all of that. But basically because they're just typically not good this
Speaker 1: year. Yes. But I saw a flat of Tony's cherry tomatoes in the winter time on the vine and it smelled like summertime. It smelled like that tomato smell and it was amazing. I mean, it took me right back to the middle of summer, you know, thank you, Tony tomato. And uh I did talk to him the other day and I found out this is kind of interesting. He's building a series of hoop houses, you know, that's a fabric covered kind of quonset hut looking structure that, that speeds growing and ripening in the springtime. And the bottom line of that is Saint Louis will soon be seeing heirloom tomatoes in May instead of in mid July that's
Speaker 2: he's doing
Speaker 1: the Lord's work. I know, I mean, anything you can do to extend the tomato season in Saint Louis is a great thing because we're stuck in the middle of the country.
Speaker 2: No, this is great.
Speaker 1: What's on your plate?
Speaker 2: Somewhat related. If we're talking about tomatoes, I'm going into something with tomato sauce. So I hadn't been to Trotter Marcella, which is the, um, it's just an iconic ST Louis Italian Institution been around forever. Gosh, how long now it's
Speaker 1: got to be 30 years. It's the flag of the Krick Brothers. They've got another restaurant, but this is their main game. Yeah,
Speaker 2: just a titan of the Saint Louis Italian scene. And it, you know, honestly, it had been a while since I've been there and uh you know, you just, you find yourself going to other places here and there. Um But I was there for dinner this past week and I had lasagna there that it blew, it blew my mind. Have you ever had their lasagna?
Speaker 1: No, but there's a lot of good lasagnas in town. Now, I have another one for the list.
Speaker 2: Well, this, it was just outrageous. First of all, it could feed about four people, which I've been told they've actually cut their portion. So, so
Speaker 1: is it the size of a brick or is it give me some rough,
Speaker 2: bigger than the size of a brick? Maybe like the size of a football cobblestone. It's so luscious. It's so rich. It almost kind of um, it's the cousin of the, um, the Roman Yoko at lo it kind of give me that same feeling because, well, it has Italian sausage and ground beef. So you get this kind of sweetness and rich flavor from both of those ground meats and then they do the tomato sauce, they do the, an Italian bechamel. So it just has that richness to it. Cheese. Of course, I thought I had died and gone to heaven. So I, I can't stop thinking about it.
Speaker 1: And when I go there, one of the things that I always have is their toasted ravioli. One of the best in clearly handmade. They're all kind of different shapes and you can tell that someone has crafted these things and they didn't get punched out of a machine. That's how I start every meal at Rey Marsala. That it's just a great place. It's wonderful and always has been, always will be. And uh they've had staffers there that have been there like since the inception, I think there's two or three or four of them, I think between them they've got over 100 years of service at that one
Speaker 2: restaurant. Yes. I mean, I, we had, that was another thing I commented on and I'm so sad that I forgot her name. But our server, it was some of the best service I've had. Gosh, in, in memory she was on it and everyone from the server assistants to the server to the host. It was just top notch across
Speaker 1: the place. It's a, it's a destination restaurant and a neighborhood restaurant all in one. Absolutely. We'll be right back. Join your Saint Louis symphony orchestra and the in unison chorus for a one of a kind celebration of Black History Month featuring Grammy and NAACP Image award winning vocalist BB Winans. Don't miss this joyful celebration of unity, freedom and black musical expression on February 23rd at Steel Theater. Get your tickets today at slso.org
Speaker 2: and now back to the show.
Speaker 1: So today, the idea for the Love Connection show was that Cheryl and I would both pick our five top romantic places in town and we'll go through them one at a time and it wasn't an easy choice. We had a little bit of a list that we had to whittle down from. We
Speaker 2: did well. And before we begin, I must acknowledge that you are wearing red today for the occasion. And I do feel like I missed an opportunity here. So I do. You are especially festive and I certainly appreciate it after you were
Speaker 1: dressed up for that Christmas show. I thought I better, I better style up myself.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Come is Cupid the next time we do this. But no. Oh, you're right. We did. I mean, I think it's very interesting that Saint Louis does when you think about it has a lot of really cozy intimate spots that would be perfect.
Speaker 1: And, and, and we kind of started off with this master list and I started like checking them off and I noticed a pattern. So I'll, I'll go ahead and kick this off and some of mine are a little bit more old school and I'm not exactly sure why that is, except some of these places are darker cozier, candle lit, um, rick walls. Uh I think the quintessential place is Sydney Street Cafe. If you ask, you know, 10 people in Saint Louis, the most romantic place. Three or four of them I think will see Sydney Street. It just feels wonderful in there again. It's the, it's the brick walls and that, that kind of Benton Park vibe to it and great food all the time. High quality consistent. Kevin Nash is very creative. He changes that menu a lot, but he will do and he's kept, you know, for the traditionalists, the, you know, the lobster turnovers and that peppercorn tenderloin and the, what is the steak tartare? Anyway? Uh a great place. And uh there's my, I even have a favorite table there. It's a deuce on the elevated area that they call the balcony. It's table number 30. And as we go through these, I'll probably just put these in the show notes, but I have table numbers. That's how geeky I am and romantic. I am. I have table numbers at each one of my places. I love
Speaker 2: it. Well, I couldn't agree with you more. His food had just has such an elegance to it. And I think that adds to it also the way the server comes out and actually explains the menu to you, that kind of adds to this intimacy there. So, no,
Speaker 1: I couldn't. And it's one of these places that's been around so long that people forget about it and, and writers like us tend not to write about it because everybody wants to know the newest buzz you chasing the shiny new thing you are. And it's, and it's a shame because places like this have been around will be around, but it's still, it remains one of the most romantic places in town along the same lines is for me, pal monos,
Speaker 2: they're lamb chops on
Speaker 1: my list, you know, old school class, you know, table side finishing everywhere. Even Paul Mono himself is, he's always there. He'll either be wheeling out these carts and I've seen him actually wait on tables just to kind of take the pulse and stay in touch with the, you know, with the diners. It's fun to see the owner working a table. So uh he's
Speaker 2: just one of those people who hospitality just radiates from it. It was like he was born to do this job. Absolutely.
Speaker 1: He's, he's so good at what he does. And, and that's a, again, that's kind of a, I won't call it a neighborhood place, but you see a lot of regulars there, you know, including Frank Sinatra who's on the walls and in your ears. Right. He's ever present. But, uh, you know, you mentioned the rack of lamb legendary their lasagna. I'll vouch for that really good lobster ravioli sea bass. There's so many things there that are, that are so great and they're all finished table side with a side of pasta that's set on a hot plate and it's rip roaring hot and it's hot to the last bite. That's the best part about places that have that kind of table side
Speaker 2: finishing. And here's a pro tip for there. You can actually get the special pasta of the day as your side dish. I think there might be like a minimal upcharge for it. But a lot of people think, oh gosh, I don't know what I want to do if I want this special pasta or that. So you get the rack of lamb with the side of pasta and the
Speaker 1: other, I guess it's a pro tip. But it's a suggestion. I remember the first time I went in there and it was so I was so excited and I, I really agonized over what I wanted to have. I decided on exactly the item it was. And then the server comes up and rattles off about 10 specials. Every one of them delicious. And I would have eaten it. And II, I literally remember like fake throwing the menu over my shoulder, like I don't need this anyway. Paul Manno's out in Chesterfield. Wonderful place. Well, let's, let's hear a couple of years. Yes.
Speaker 2: So, um, kind of along those lines of like a, a quintessential classic Saint Louis restaurant. And it's funny we're thinking of, of this is such a classic right now, but it's Brasserie Gerard Crafts, lovely French restaurant in the central west end that been there for a long time. Now, I would say it's kind of, um, in a way it's almost like this flagship of, of what he's doing at this point. And I don't know if it's just because it's French and it just leans into that quintessential, you know, Parisian Brasserie,
Speaker 1: it's a flagship French bistro, probably the best we have in this time.
Speaker 2: And there, you know, you talk about legendary dishes, their roast chicken. I mean, he's told me in the past that if he were to take that off the menu, he would have riots in the street. And I
Speaker 1: think that's a pressed, I think they press that. It's like a brick pressed chicken. So there's some additional char that gets imparted by whatever he, whatever weight he sets upon it. But it's really, really good. You get the
Speaker 2: crispiness on the outside. The meat is so juicy it is. You know, you, you always feel like you're, um, it's a cop out to order the chicken at places. Sometimes this is not that
Speaker 1: good people never order chicken. Accepted.
Speaker 2: Brasserie. Exactly.
Speaker 1: And this time of year they, they have cale on the menu. One of the bistro favorites,
Speaker 2: maybe the best winter time
Speaker 1: is short of a, maybe a lamb shank. But anyway, the thing I like about brasserie too, it's in true brasserie fashion. They've got a Croque Monsieur on the menu. They've got a burger on the menu. Really, really good burger. So, you think you should go and have, you know, Cote de Boeuf or something? But no, have a brasserie burger because it's really good.
Speaker 2: And a glass of French wine with it. You can't think of a, with that. Exactly. Exactly. While we're on the French kick your mindset here. Bistro la Floris on the Galena place. You know, I know a lot of people were really, um they mourned the loss of Zoe Robinson, you know, a esteemed Saint Louis restaurants who are veteran of the business when she closed bar Le Frere on Y down. I think a lot of people thought my gosh, how are we ever going to capture what she did there in another place? And the Galena have done such a good job. They've put their own identity on it, but they've definitely stayed true. I think to the ethos of this immersive French dining salon sort of experience, I would say, rather than being super sultry like Zoe's Place, it's more pretty but
Speaker 1: it is, it's prettier, but it is, it's wonderful. It's, it's Barley Frere. I used to call it BLF. And this is another Blff on is another BLF. So it's not entirely different. But, and what I like to do there is go to the bar that doesn't seat. Very many people have a French 75 who flew to champagne and, you know, start off with those gouge or those, those financier that they have there.
Speaker 2: It's, it's just life
Speaker 1: changing. It isn't that a wonderful thing? It's a wonderful way to start. They've got things like that at their spritz hour I think, which goes from, I want to say 5 to 6. But anyway, great place. Very romantic. Perfect for this time of year. Romance knows no season. So go there at any time of the year and that, that, that the terrace, the terraced patio they have is like the best in town. Just hang out on the different levels there. That's one of my favorite
Speaker 2: patios. And I'll also tell you and I think we need to be clear on this. I don't think what we're talking about as far as romance and things of that sort are limited to, um, you know, to romantic relationships. I had one of the best meals of my life at Bier La Flore on with two of my dear girlfriends and we are still talking about that and it's just, you know, we went on our nice lady date and we had an excellent time there. Yeah, it was great
Speaker 1: and it's tough over there because that's like restaurant row. There's like five good restaurants, really good restaurants within a stone's throw of one another at that. What is it White Down? And Hanley and another one is on your list. Yes.
Speaker 2: A car. Love it. Bernie Lee's delightful. It's so intimate. This is the restaurant Bernie Lee was supposed to open because he is just this. Um I would say it's not, I mean hospitality, of course he nails that, but it's less about, you know, this kind of restaurant level hospitality. And again, this intimacy of him throwing a dinner party for you.
Speaker 1: Exactly. And his place, if you remember the initial, the original was 12 seats in that patio. Absolutely. And he went through the pandemic with that. How he survived the pandemic on 12 seats on a patio. I'll never know. But he did. And about a year ago he acquired that space next door, right? Uh the hair salon and you've been there, I assume it's, it's magical. It's a magical
Speaker 2: room. It's magical. I mean, that's the thing, Bernie. Uh You know, we have a couple, we have, I would say we have a handful and this might be something to explore at some point of these very stylish restaurateurs. I would put Kevin Brown in there. I would put Ben Pemba, Bernie Lee. Zoe Robinson was definitely one of them where they, um they take as much care in putting together an experience as far as like the decor and the feel of the place as they do in the food. And I think that's what Bernie just nails so well. But also I'm not saying that's take away from his food. His food is delicious. I feel like he's been an under kind of the radar chef here in ST Louis for a while and we just need to be singing his
Speaker 1: praises. Not a big menu but a really good menu. It's all, uh, some of Malaysian dishes and dishes from his travels across the world. And for those of you that remember the former spot, you know, that you can't get in because it's too small or it's too busy. Nobody goes there. The new space is, I think, triple the size and that one banquet, all those tables are great. It's really, it's a really cozy space and there's also a four top I think in the window that do you know about this? He does not reserve that. He said that that's his table of the mall. And it's one of those things that if you feel like, you know, kind of on a random thing, I've got three people is that table. It's the C NBC table and I wish I knew the table number, but I don't. But anyway, that's another thing that Bernie has going over there. Just one of the, he's just one of the city's just loveliest people for
Speaker 2: sure he is. And what's funny about this is as we're talking, uh, should we dub that stretch of why? Down Romance Row? I mean, you have a couple of places on your list too. Yeah, you
Speaker 1: probably could for sure. And, uh, this is one Cheryl that might surprise you. Ok. Most people talk about Bailey's Chocolate Bar when they talk about romantic restaurants, Bailey's Chocolate Bar. You know, it's, it's legendary for its desserts and its chocolate martinis and all these fun things. But if you remember a couple years ago, it moved upstairs when the first floor became a restaurant called Pop, a Champagne bar slash restaurant. So that's one of my picks is go to pop start off in the bar along that banquette. You know, you know, the one I'm talking about with the little round pillows and the tufted leather upholstery. It's just the Coziest little bar in town, have some champagne, have a little light dinner and then head upstairs and have a chocolate martini and some. So you can basically have, you know, uh appetizers, dinner and dessert all in the same building. And I just thought it was a great idea. Everybody loves champagne. The Bailey's, that's one of the things they said they have in common. And that's something that they've always wanted to do was do a, a champagne restaurant. I
Speaker 2: also put the Bailey's on that list of, you know, restaurateurs who really get kind of creating this stylish vibe there. And I think that's kind of a common theme we're seeing here in our discussions is the food is definitely an essential component. But it's, it's that feeling when you walk into a place, feel something by the,
Speaker 1: it was very intentional by, by those guys. I remember when, when Dave opened the place, he said, this will be a place to have a first date or a 5/100. And, you know, I think he's right there. It's, it's a, it's a place. He said, what did he say to pair bubbles with food or more bubbles? You gotta like that attitude. So that's, you know, slash Bailey's chocolate bar. I'll, I'll, we'll throw those both in as one.
Speaker 2: I love it. Well, I think we all know my love of rights Tavern. Rights Tavern to me is just, you know, and here we are in Roman, I am, I'm stuck on that corner. I can't someone get me an Uber somewhere else. So I was just going to say that because I will take my Uber to Fox and the Hound. Um You know, so rights, let me just go ahead and say, I think rights is um maybe it's the lighting, the dark walls, the way the light is dancing off these glasses, they're set on the tables, the oysters, the fire from the kitchen
Speaker 1: and the history of the place. It was Fellini, which was one of the most romantic restaurants in town and one of the most beloved. So he just picked up that baton and ran with it.
Speaker 2: Yes. So I'm going to cheat a little bit and I'm going to do a combination one here because I want to give my love to write up my sleeve. I know we can't help ourselves, but I'm going to move a little bit further east and I'm going to go to Fox and the hounds, which has been around forever. The way I've always described it is if it's, you know, you think of like closing like a backroom deal and you're drinking brandy out of sniffers and smoking cigars. And I think there's a dogs playing poker on the wall, think fireplace, a
Speaker 1: real fireplace, a wood burning fire.
Speaker 2: The only kind and the only acceptable kind that place to me, uh, it just embodies that, like, I'm gonna have my dinner, you know, it maybe writes or wherever and then I'm going to just sink into one of these couches, sit by the fire. Have I, I usually get port when I go and drink there. So, I mean, it just doesn't get better. That's
Speaker 1: a perfect winter time drink by the fire. As is an Irish coffee, which is another thing in those footed mugs. You know, those Irish coffee just like you'd expect to see in a place like that. Yeah, that is a quintessential romantic winter time bar when it's really cold and nasty outside, snuggle up by the
Speaker 2: fire. I don't think there's anywhere cozier. It's my favorite bar in ST Louis period and winter time it doesn't get better. Love it.
Speaker 1: Uh, speaking of bars and speaking of what you were talking about, you're talking about Brasserie. Just a great, and I love brasserie in the summertime. Sitting outside on that, that patio was the best. But next door to Brasserie is the former taste by Niche, which they have dubbed Brass Bar. Pretty much the same. It's, it's not the same as Brasserie. It's the same as the other place was. It's a little darker cozier, candlelit tables and it serves, you know, three purposes. I think you can go there for a little apper TIF before dinner. You can go there for a nightcap after dinner and you can have dinner there too and it's Brasserie's menu. So it's a little, you know, Brasserie's pretty rowdy and pretty fun and this is a little bit, it's scaled back a little bit. So if you want a little bit more privacy and a little bit more, you know, table time, uh, you know, intimate table time, I should say with one other Brass Bar is, is, is a good way to go. And the thing about it that people go there and don't even know about it up that up the stairway is that little loungey, soft seating lounge up there with, with those couches. And that is a really good place to wind down with an after dinner drink. You
Speaker 2: walk in, into that space. And it's one of those places where the door closes behind you and you are instantly like, just the rest of the world falls away and you just sink in and, you know, you just immerse yourself in it. It's,
Speaker 1: it's a, it's a great place and, and it's overlooked because everybody's thinking. Brasserie. Brasserie. But, uh, the next door neighbor is pretty cool too.
Speaker 2: Yes. Well, and I guess, um, you know, I'm a creature of habit or geography or whatever because
Speaker 1: we're not, we're
Speaker 2: actually going right around the corner from Brass Bar. Yes. So, speaking of places where you walk in, close the door and you're somewhere else. My last pick is Mainlander. I am so obsessed with Mainlander. I love this place tremendously. Recent James Beard award nominees for the national category of best new restaurant, I must say. So. Blake and Gordon. Congratulations.
Speaker 1: They are. That's a big deal. Yes. It's a huge deal. A national anything James Beard is, is huge. National attention is huger. And they were on there with the 19 other restaurants. So I wish them the best talk about it because it's, it's a, a transport of experience that is, you almost have to do it to, to appreciate
Speaker 2: it. You really do. It's, you can't even describe it. It's, you walk through the doors. You are in a mid century modern dinner party. It's, I am in 1963. Let's say I'm in, you know, someone's home, they've invited me there somewhat kitschy, home, kitschy home. You know, think tiki glasses, think velvet artwork. You know, you name it this play. They had one of those silver rotating trees for the holidays, those old, like, you know, Christmas trees that they change colors as the color wheels on them. And my grandma had one of those in her house and
Speaker 1: they start the meal with a, a kind of a platter of goodies again. Keeping with the Polynesian theme. But they call it a poo poo platter. Right on a lazy Susan, right. They play off the mid century restaurant items like uh Ruma and baked Alaska. And you see Riffs on all these things be Wellington or Tenderloin Wellington. There's all these, these uh and a lot of them are very uh immersive as far as watching and they're, they're carved and cut at the table and it's, it's just an experience like no other and everyone this is bar none. And, and this is pretty rare. Everyone I've talked to that goes there loves it. Has loved it. I haven't heard one bad thing about it and everybody said I can't wait to go back when he changed the menus a month at a time. Can't wait to go the next time. 18 seats.
Speaker 2: That's it. I've never heard anyone say what's interesting about it is you can explain what you love about it. You can try to explain, I guess. But it's just hard to capture it because it's just so transported. And I think part of that has to do and, and this is why I put it on my romantic list is because you walk in there like I went in there with my partner and he and I just, I felt like we time traveled together and it just, we were on this little journey together and it just felt like the two of us were, you know, sitting at this table and we were just, it was like we were on vacation but not,
Speaker 1: and it's like one of those uh all inclusive things because you've paid in advance. There's no like signage except for the logo. You don't really know where you're going and you walk in and, and everything. So you don't really have to worry about anything. And that was designed purposefully by the two owners when I first talked to Blake about it. And I thought, man, this is, this is pretty far out there. I'm not sure if this is gonna go and it was uh it's just not just a home run but a grand slam home run. And again, he's been recognized nationally
Speaker 2: and I can't take away from, you know, Blake is brilliant in that kitchen there. I cannot take away from his partner Gordon's hospitality. That's another thing that I would put the romantic, you know, the romantic needle kind of moves in that direction because he is just, he's so warm, he's so gracious. He just, you feel like you're the only person in the room when he's talking to you.
Speaker 1: It's, it's a, it's a great experience. Speaking of wonderful chefs, chef Lou Rook the third out and Annie Guns has been there, um, for a long time, long, long, long time legend. And uh he's been running that kitchen for decades and the reason and, and it's been consistent for decades. And that's one of the reasons I recommend that restaurant all the time. And you walk in, especially that front room. It's very clubby. It's very, uh, you know, almost ski loungey. They've got the fireplaces there and, and it's just very homey. And, uh, I, I love those, there's a couple fireplace tables there that are just, I just love, love it when I can get one of them. I've got those table numbers too. You can see them on the show notes later inside. And, uh, but they also have these things, they call snugs and, and I've never heard anybody call this, but it's a, a room with a little pocket door, uh, summer seat up to eight. But the one that, that I like for two people seats up 2 to 4 and it's small. It's not like you're in this massive room. But anyway, it's, it's a really cool way to, to have a romantic evening. And, you know, I didn't say this before but it doesn't have to be Valentine's Day. You know, it can be romance knows. No season. You can, you can call folks at all these restaurants and say, you know, I'd like to set up something a little special. Can you throw a tablecloth on that table that you don't throw a cloth on? Can I arrange for some, you know, uh votes to be put on the table? You know, I'm not talking like Liberace candle A I'm just talking about little subtle things like that. Uh You know, rose petals, if that's your thing, you know, there's all kinds of little touches that, that you can do that. Restaurant folks don't mind doing. You've asked, that's their business, that's their thing. And if they can make your night memorable, that's what they do. So there's a lot of little just, just think out of the box, you don't have to accept the, you know, the base offering there. You can customize it, you can change it to however you
Speaker 2: want to, if you give notice and you ask kindly, you know, they're in the hospitality business, they want to do these things. I used to, I used to love doing things like this for people. It's what we live for.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And anyway, that's, that's the part that again, we, we're in a, a Valentine's day time, but you can turn any night into a romantic night. You just have to think about it a little bit. I talked about this one time on the radio, on the radio host, I was telling him all these things you could do and he gives me kind of the side eye and he goes, do people really do that. He didn't say stuff but he said, do people really do that. And I, I took a second, I said the smart ones do. Exactly. And I left it at that and he shook his head and said, ok, but anyway, there you go.
Speaker 2: Can you talk to mine, please?
Speaker 1: Ok. Before Cheryl and I get into our picks for a romantic day out, I want to give a shout out a Valentine's day. Shout out to Rick Lewis of Grace meet and three for his out of the box thinking you probably know what I'm talking about, Cheryl. He has, he does a bouquet of chicken tenders.
Speaker 2: This is outrageous. The best bouquet ever to receive. And
Speaker 1: he puts it in a florist box that you can see through along with some carnations and that's his thing and you can pick it up, you can order in advance and pick it up at, at Grace meet and three. It's the coolest funniest kitt. But it's, you know, give him credit for thinking out of the box. He, he, he one upped it this year
Speaker 2: or I guess he's thinking in the box. He's putting the gingers in the box.
Speaker 1: Right. Yeah, it's on a little stick. It's just, it's just the best. So this year. He's done something that he's never done. I've never heard of. You see these seafood towers and all these, he's done a fried food tower at Grace Mean Street just available on Valentine's Day. It's over 100 bucks, but he's got chicken tenders as well as tender lobster. He's got fried catfish. He's got a calamari and crawfish. Frito Misto. He's got caviar, which is obviously not fried. But anyway, it's available on Valentine's night and he's just trying this. He said, you know, I'm just gonna see what happens and it's literally on a tower. And he said, if it goes over, well, you'll see it from time to time at Grace Meet and Three Happy Valentine's Day. I love it.
Speaker 2: He is the king of comfort. I'll tell you. So I, I bet that's gonna be wonderful.
Speaker 1: I tasted it the other day. I tasted a sample. Lots of fun. So we'll move on to the next part of the show where Cheryl and I just thought we'd take a day, a breakfast, lunch and dinner and say, let's do a romantic breakfast, midday snack or lunch and dinner. I thought that was, that was your idea. Actually, I thought it was, I thought it was really fun.
Speaker 2: We were thinking of our ideal day out. You know, if we wanted to celebrate Valentine's
Speaker 1: Day, it doesn't have to be Valentine's Day. Romance knows no season. Did I say that before? I think
Speaker 2: so? I think Susan is a lucky lady here. We'll, we'll see. But, um, so my romantic day out, I'm, and, you know, these aren't even necessarily like these stereotypical, you know, Romancy intimate restaurants because I would probably start mine out with Songbird Songbird. Um, it's a restaurant in the grove. It's on show do, um, Christine Meyer, the owner is revered by the Saint Louis restaurant community. She's been around for a while and she's awesome. She
Speaker 1: was one of her cohorts one time said that Chris Meyer has an MB A in hospitality and I love that. That's a great, I don't have to say anymore. Yeah.
Speaker 2: And you know, when you think of some of the names who can to her among the graves, I mean, Matt Maguire of Louis and Wrights says she's top of the game. So if he's giving his seal of approval, it's, I mean, that's like the good house guy. He says
Speaker 1: she was tops a top notch front of the house person and that's not even kind of what she's doing at this place. She's more the che Yeah, she
Speaker 2: is. But there's such, I think the reason I put songs on my list besides the fact that the food is so good is there's such a sweetness to this place. I love it. It's just, it's sweet, it's light, it's, it's beautiful that I don't know. I just, I love going there. I feel great when I go there. Probably because
Speaker 1: I I know what you're getting. Yeah, I am. I hope I do.
Speaker 2: Yes, I am eating her combo breakfast sandwich. It is my favorite breakfast sandwich in town. It's one of my favorite sandwiches in town. Very simple, sourdough bread, fried egg, white cheddar cheese, aged white cheddar cheese, smoked bacon. And, uh, well, I guess that goes without saying applewood smoked bacon. And, um, you know, she puts a little bit of sea salt on it, but then she puts a little bit of honey and a lot of people say, oh, I don't know. Can you leave the honey off? She's like, I promise you, please please put the honey on there. It's, it just takes it to this different level
Speaker 1: and nothing says romance like a sloppy breakfast sandwich.
Speaker 2: Exactly. Right. Exactly. Well, honey on there, you know, honey, honey, and then you wash it down. Well, I don't know if you're washing it down more like you're kind of immersing yourself in the indulgence of her Songbird latte, which it's a latte, but she uses, she uses salted caramel and a little bit of smoked maple in there. So you're just getting this like sweet brown, sugary caramelly richness to it and it's balanced because of that little bit of the salt in there. So
Speaker 1: great. She's a
Speaker 2: genius. I'll tell you. Where do you go for lunch? So, lunch, I am going to Asada Del Sur, the South American Grill in Maplewood. And I think there's just something about the idea of, like, grilled South American meats, like a beach barbecue. That, that just makes me, makes me feel like it's appropriate for this sort of experience.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's a, uh, Daniel and Maria, uh, own that place. They're again, two of the nicest, loveliest, most hospitable people in town. I think he sources his skirt steaks and things, things like that from different places. It's, it's, it's a cut above stuff. And, uh, what I, I remember he told me he said, uh, that the lobster bisque there is, he goes and I've tasted lobster bisque all over the world and this one is the best in the world. And I went, oh, that's pretty high. Pretty bold. But so anyway, I'm here, I'll tell you that it's really good bisque. It
Speaker 2: is so good. And speaking of like romance and I would have a love affair with this chimichurri sauce. Their chimichurri is the best I've ever had. I love it. So, a sor del Sur is where I'm going
Speaker 1: for nice little booths in there. It's a cozy little place,
Speaker 2: kind of cozy, warm. You know, I think it's, that exposed brick vibe adds to the mystique there. Drinks. I am going to have drinks. I mean, you have to have drinks
Speaker 1: after lunch. Romantic day out for God's sakes. We got to have drinks. Exactly.
Speaker 2: Exactly. I mean, I think there's always a reason for them but in this particular occasion we're going to have our afternoon drinks at 21 C at the bar right there by Idle Wolf, the hotel, the museum hotel that opened in midtown. Um First of all, the space is gorgeous, the drinks are delicious and then you can actually take your drink and wander around the entire hotel. It's a museum. It's as much a museum and art gallery as it is a hotel and restaurants.
Speaker 1: It really is special. There's a lot going on there and it is a hotel and it's a spa and a health club. So it's got staycation possibility. Speaking of romance that we can't neglect either and I'm sure over Valentine's Day there's going to be a lot of folks walking around that hotel and through the museum with their cocktails. Doesn't that sound charming? I
Speaker 2: think it would be especially fun too is if the person that you were meeting, maybe you didn't go together but you met there. There's something about, you know, meeting at the hotel bar that I don't know, it just adds to, I know it adds to the experience there. So,
Speaker 1: so you go from idle wolf, you're just having cocktails there. But you could, I could, I could turn that into a romantic meal too, but I don't want to butt in because I do that too
Speaker 2: much. No, you're great. Well, I probably wouldn't turn down some snacks. I mean, I think cocktails always have to go with snacks. So I'd probably, they had this sober Sada toast there that is, um, whipped. I think it was whipped goat cheese in this, um, paprika and garlicky spread Spanish sausage. And here we are a little bit of honey drizzled on there. Um, I mean, you twist my arm, I'd have a snack. There might never leave. Exactly. But I would, because I think I would end with dinner at Mainlander. We're back to Mainlander. I just, I can't get enough. That's probably where I would go. I would say I don't either go to Mainlander or rights for dinner. Sounds good to me. Yeah, that's, that's my night out. Uh, my, I hope my partner's listening. He can take notes.
Speaker 1: So I would start out my romantic day at Ivy Cafe in Clayton. Their specialty is tarts. You know, that's just basically an open face toast. Theirs are quite tall, uh, open face sourdough toast. Uh, the owner makes the sourdough. The owner also makes some of the pottery there, which is, I mean, Julie can do everything. They
Speaker 2: have little messages on the bottom of it.
Speaker 1: So cute. It's so to watch when you turn that plate over that you don't dump anything like that. But anyway, they, they, they have great uh, toasts. Obviously, they're all named after the streets in Clayton, which is kind of cute, but they also have sourdough pancakes and this is something on the menu that I've seen that I want to try and I have and coconut milk sourdough, French toast with berries and cream cheese butter blend. Are you there? Doesn't that just sound like the best? I mean, you
Speaker 2: can just stop right there. You've had a great day.
Speaker 1: So, speaking of great lattes, lavender honey latte. They have an iced dream sickle latte. Anyway, this is just this light airy space. They have a lot of green plants in a, in a green wall and it's just charming little bistro tables on all these. It's open for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Breakfast goes until 11. But that's where I would go. Uh, I think in the morning and then I'd run down to bow wood by Niche for lunch. How could you not? And, and just a great place. It's, um, it's in a nursery as most people know. And there, there's three rooms, really three experiences. The main room is, uh, floor to ceiling window and it's just light and airy and the food is so good. And then they've got outside kind of in the retail area. Um, another cafe kind of, it's a totally different vibe out there. And then, you know, if the weather's nice, you go outside onto that patio and you're literally dining among the plants and trees that are for sale. Again, the menu is small but it is just, everything's very well executed and it really feels celebratory. It feels like you're almost in a different city. It's that
Speaker 2: cool. So, my two pro tips for are just, you know, things to note about going to bow wood. Number one, you will walk out with a plant, you will be taking plant home with you. It is impossible to go in that place. I'm not even a plant person and I walk out with a plant every time I'm there. So just be aware it's going to happen. They're going
Speaker 1: fine left and right, you're done. I'll take one
Speaker 2: of those and they're so beautiful. It's, you want to be a plant person when you're there. And the second thing, don't sleep on the oatmeal. I know. Oatmeal. Sounds like a very weird
Speaker 1: thing. I sleep on oatmeal all the, all the time.
Speaker 2: Sleep on it.
Speaker 1: I'll eat it at home.
Speaker 2: It's like baked. It's served in this, like, beautiful crack with all these like nuts and goodies on it. So, I'm telling you their oatmeal. What I usually do is I order the oatmeal and then share it with somebody so I can get something else too.
Speaker 1: And when they're eating you go buy your plant. Exactly. Pretty much so, b it's cool. Um, it's a great place for brunch lunch. Uh, they're not, they open for dinner anymore. They're just open for private events. It was a great place for dinner too while it lasted. But for dinner, I thought about this long and hard and I think I would end up on your corner at Bar
Speaker 2: Morrow. How can you not end up on that corner?
Speaker 1: I think it's for my money. You know, it's like its predecessor. The walls are black. There's, you know, they're real candles, you know? Not those ones with the, with the lights in them, you know, soft. I mean, it's the sex, I think it's the sexiest restaurant in town. And again, it's a Ben Pumba restaurant. He, he really sets the table with, with all kinds of, uh, very studied items you sit at the bar that looks like it's somewhat cluttered, but it's cluttered that way on purpose. You know, there's Iberico ham on top, there's some plates stacked over here, sit at the bar. It's a, it's a lovely experience or, you know, no one of the tables is fine too. There's a table by the window that I really like and the menu is, is, uh, again, somewhat adventurous. There's some different things on there, but there's servers to help you through. There's a lot of tinned fish which a lot of Saint Lucians aren't familiar with. There's, uh, I think a gin and tonic menu with six gin and tonics on it. There's a vermouth and a sherry menu again. I, I don't know my Vermouth and sherry. So I said, you know, how do I do this? And there's, there's pairing. So if you're gonna have that you should have this sherry. I go really? Or this Vermouth. I go. Oh, ok. Anyway, great, great suggestions. Some of the best I've ever had with some things that I wasn't familiar with. So, uh, it's an adventure. It's sexy from start to finish. And again you can go there late night too. They're open later and you can go grab a basque cheesecake and some pork. The best thing in the world,
Speaker 2: sexiest restaurant in town,
Speaker 1: I'll end my day
Speaker 2: and nothing sexier than a, uh, and I'm not even joking than a big, you know, thing of ham on the bar.
Speaker 1: So after all this, all this romance and all these wonderful places, we're gonna get down a little bit to end the segment and talk about to go boxes and specifically to go boxes that are dropped at the table. You know, I want to say, can't we just return to the time when the plates were cleared? They'd take them into the back and they'd bring the to go stuff back in little boxes and, and put it in a little bag and, and boom, you're good to go. You know, I think when COVID came along, I understand that there were some changes to that, but now that COVID is in the rearview mirror, I say, you know, let's do all that stuff in the back. If you leave it on the table for me to do, I'm gonna have splashes and spills. And the last thing I'm gonna remember is, you know, the sauce that I spilled on my shirt, putting loading up my to Go box. Are you, are you with me on this or do you like to, or, or do you like to fill it up at
Speaker 2: the table? I could not be more with you on this. My, you know, former front of house self and you know, I've managed places too. If I saw my server drop off a to Go box, I would, I just lose my mind about it. And I mean, we're not talking about you're at a diner. I mean,
Speaker 1: I'm not talking about the super casual.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm in a super casual place and they drop stuff out. Ok. That's fine. I'm talking places where I'm dropping, you know, like serious money and this is an elegant elevated restaurant and they're like throwing it to go box and, you know, telling me to have at it. Oh my gosh, it's just, it's a step of service that I feel like
Speaker 1: is essential. I totally agree. You know, don't make us do the work. That's why we're here to not work. Right.
Speaker 2: Next thing we're going to be cooking. I mean, as a server you're taking the plates back to the kitchen anyway. Right. Exactly. So whatever.
Speaker 1: Thank you for listening to Arch Eats. Be sure to follow us and share with your friends because we put out new episodes every other Friday and we always provide links in the show notes for everything you heard about today and don't forget to hit that subscribe button and follow along on Instagram at Saint Louis Mag and feel free to give us a follow personally at George Mahe and Cheryl Hebert.
Speaker 2: If you loved what you heard, show us some love by rating and reviewing us on Apple podcasts. And if you're hungry for even more content, you can subscribe to our dining newsletters for the freshest coverage on the local restaurant and culinary scene. That's
Speaker 1: it for this week. Best dishes and see you next time.