Speaker 1: Welcome to Timeless Wisdom with Dennis Prager. Here thousands of hours of Dennis's lectures courses in classic radio programs. Had to purchase Dennis Prager's Rational Bibles go to Dennisprager dot com. On today's episode of Timeless Wisdom.
Speaker 2: There is something exciting about developing a life with somebody, making a home, having friends, having a community, building a world larger than yourself.
Speaker 1: That's coming up on Timeless Wisdom with Dennis Prager, and it starts right now.
Speaker 3: Weave last Time, which is available on tape.
Speaker 2: I think it was eleven Mistakes. I don't know how I got from eleven, but I got through eleven eleven mistakes singles making and interesting. By the way, there are people who subscribe.
Speaker 3: To a tape a month for me for my lecturing, and it never happened before. Really, I got.
Speaker 2: An email from a man who said, I am selling my subscription to your tapes, and I was insulted you. I'm a single man and I was insulted by your tape A mistake singles mate. And I wrote him back and I said, please, you're getting get a refund.
Speaker 3: It's a non issue.
Speaker 2: But I'm unbelievably curious what offended you? And I never responded, but I I it was an honest talk, not to offend, but to help actually believe it or not. I mean, that's the whole purpose of this get together.
Speaker 3: I believe in marriage.
Speaker 2: But while I believe in marriage, I also believe in a fulfilled life even if you're not married.
Speaker 3: So I was debating. I was thinking of giving a.
Speaker 2: Talk on how to lead a fulfilled life even while not married. And I really I do believe that's important. But I decided not to do that because I thought, wait a minute, wait a minute, Well.
Speaker 3: That's very important.
Speaker 2: That's not the point you want to get over, Dennis, he said to himself. And in fact, on the way here, how many of you have heard doctor Stephen Marma on my Happiness Show? All right, so a fair number of you he's on, Oh, I would say every other month. So I called him up and I said, Steve, here is my debate between these two topics. He said, I'll definitely give this other one and this other one is this why aren't people marrying? And I would like to discuss this with you. I'd like to because I mean discussed because I would like your feedback very much afterwards. And some of this will apply to you, and some of it will not apply to you at all, but will apply to many others.
Speaker 3: But you know, if you listen to me at all regularly.
Speaker 2: You know that I am very committed to Clara that if God came to me, I've often said and said, Dennis, you can have happiness or clarity. I would vote for Clara because I go crazy when things are not clear. I want to understand what's happening. And if I were single and things.
Speaker 3: Were not happening at least, I'd want to know why.
Speaker 4: Now I can't answer for any one of your lives, but I can say, as a general principle in American life today, I've isolated a number of factors, and I am sure some will hit you personally, and.
Speaker 2: Some will you will hit people that you know. But I think that they are all relevant, and I don't know if they're in order of importance, but they are all very important. So as I give almost all my talks in numerical sequence, let me give this one as well.
Speaker 3: That way, how many reasons that I come up with, Let's.
Speaker 2: Sing eighth, justin I'm not eleven eight reasons people are not marrying today. The first may in fact be the most important, but it's first among equals because they're all very important. This is a very difficult one to overcome, and I think a lot of you are afflicted with it. I know I would be afflicted with it if I were single. And that is comparing people to an image of perfection. And it is not entirely your fault. If you do this, it's partially your fault, and it's partially an inevitable fact of American life today. I know men better than I know women. In fact, it's easier to know men better than one of those women. Did you ever see that email? You know, email has a world to itself the Internet, and if you get on enough lists, you'll get a lot of junk.
Speaker 3: As you know.
Speaker 2: I have had more breast enlargement ads and penis enlargement ads than I really care to receive at any given day. But I can live through those ads because sometimes I actually get something really funny. And I got one that was circulating the internet. I wish I had it in front of me, but it goes something like this, how to please. It's how to please a woman? And then how to please a man, How to please a woman takes.
Speaker 3: Up an entire page.
Speaker 2: Stroke herves, speak softly to her, speak sweetly, bring the proper flowers, caress her when necessary, an entire list of complex actions for a man to know. Then how to please a man, bring food, and show up naked. And that was it. It was perfect.
Speaker 3: There was nothing left to be said. That was exactly right.
Speaker 2: And so there is no question and that women are more complex preachers, I have no doubt about that. So when I speak, even here as an example, when I speak about how each sex has its image of perfection that stymies their ability to meet somebody real who could actually make a beautiful.
Speaker 3: Life with them.
Speaker 2: For men, a typical problem would be the search for a ten. You recall the movie I think it was with Bo Derek called Ten, where you had.
Speaker 3: This perfect female physical figure.
Speaker 2: She was all of probably twenty one years of age at the time and was photographed perfectly. Everything was perfect. There was the search for a ten. There is no doubt in my mind that for many men today, they are They go to bed alone, ninety percent of the year, they dine alone, they are alone, they're lonely. In some ways because they're looking for a ten. There was a very powerful and disturbing article on this very point by a man, a friend of mine in fact, Michael Levine, who's a very major publicist in Hollywood, and I was very impressed with the candor and the honesty in his article. It was published in Psychology Today, and I had him on my show. He wrote an article why I'm single, and he began by saying as follows, I don't.
Speaker 3: Like being single. It is not bringing me happiness. I know that I would be happy.
Speaker 2: Or married, but I am paralyzed in choosing a woman because all day long I see so many beautiful women. Now this is not fully clear to a woman. It can't be because you're made differently than us. But on any man here, I would say ninety nine percent of the men here because nothing is true for everyone can understand the effect that that has, because that is the way we're wired.
Speaker 3: And so he was.
Speaker 2: Saying, both in my work in Hollywood, I'm a publicist for actresses and in the media television, adds, billboards, movies, all I is bombarded with one beautiful woman after another, and so how could I commit to one when I know that an hour later, a week later, there will be a better ten or another ten. So the reason that I admire his article is not because I admire what he's.
Speaker 3: Doing with his life. He doesn't admire what he's doing with his life.
Speaker 2: He is rational enough to saying, I am ruining my life by giving in to my nature.
Speaker 3: Many men don't.
Speaker 2: Even acknowledge, as far as Missus Levine did, what they are doing to themselves by the image of ten or whatever other way you want to configure, this image of the perfect woman and stopping themselves from actually having a beautiful and meaningful relationship with a real woman who can bring them a great deal of joy, but who doesn't qualify as an instantaneous ten. Now, for women, there is the exact same or for many women, there is the exact same symmetry, but it's not a ten.
Speaker 3: Women are not looking for.
Speaker 2: A Tom Cruise replica a physical ten. I mean sixteen year old girls, maybe twenty year old girls even, but women as opposed to girls don't. For a woman, a ten is not composed of looks, although that helps, but it is composed of financial ability, power, sexiness, in other ways that are more complex than what is sexy to a male. It may be more complex, but it is also very paralyzing for many women who disqualify good men, potentially wonderful mates on the basis of their earning power and so on. Now, I don't blame either sex. I think it is so hardwired. Barbara Walters, who makes many millions of dollars, tens of billions of dollars, This woman, when she married, married a man who made even more money than she. Jane Fund, a multi multi multimillionaire, married Ted Turner, who was a multi billionaire. Now, why wouldn't she marry? Why wouldn't did Jane Vund? I hate to use her as an example. It's painful, but.
Speaker 3: What am I going to do?
Speaker 2: Cut her values aside? Why would she not? After all, she has all that money. She doesn't need a man with money. Yet it is hardwired into a woman to want a man who has achieved more than she has. As a general rule, women can overcome this, but it's hardwired. And we can't go anywhere in life if we don't know where we begin. And we begin with our wiring, we are we Men are wired in a certain way and women are wired in a certain way, and it's good to know that, and eve sex has to know that about the other. It's very foolish for a woman to say, oh, I don't care how I look.
Speaker 3: A man will know my heart.
Speaker 2: Well, that's absurd, just as it's absurd for a man to say, I don't need any professional ambition whatsoever.
Speaker 3: A woman will know my heart. That's nonsense.
Speaker 2: A woman wants a man who wants to conquer, a man who wants to achieve.
Speaker 3: I don't mean a man who is driven only to.
Speaker 2: That, although women do like that often and then they pay the big price when they get married. A man who is driven to achieve and achieve an immense amount, and then she notices he doesn't pay any attention to her, Well, didn't you marry somebody you wanted to just be driven to achievement?
Speaker 3: Or likewise, the beautiful woman, Oh soho.
Speaker 2: He married a gorgeous woman, but that's all she is, and her gorgeosity seems to fade very rapidly in his eyes because because there's nothing else going on there that each sex is fooled by its wiring, But it doesn't mean that the wiring is unimportant. A man cannot go and say it doesn't matter what I do for a living, or it doesn't matter if I am ambitious at all that I want to achieve in the outer world. And a woman can't say it doesn't matter how I look. You could say that, but there are consequences, but that's aside. My first point is that each sex is walking around many members, not all with a certain image of perfection. Now, putting aside income for men and putting aside looks for women, there are other problems even with perfection, because even then you date and you spend time together, and all of a sudden, you start noticing that the other person actually has flaws. Because, let's face it, in the very beginning, the chemistry of attraction is so powerful that we imagine that.
Speaker 3: The person we're falling in love with his flaws.
Speaker 2: And then the hutzpah of that person to actually have some flaws. After the opening, chemistry starts to slightly wane and we have entered real life. But that is inevitable. Here's what you do with recognizing that there are flaws in the person that you are thinking of perhaps spending your life with Number one, asking yourself, is it a flaw I can live with? That's very important.
Speaker 1: This episode of Timeless Wisdom will continue right after this. Now back to more of Dennis Prager's Timeless Wisdom.
Speaker 2: Now, there are flaws you can live with, there are flaws you can't live with. You have to know yourself, which it is every single person. And this is the other key point that you have to bear in mind. This is very tough.
Speaker 3: But we come with flaws too. It's a very tough one to do.
Speaker 2: And I know you all know that you have flaws. It's an intellectual knowledge, but in your gut, do you really believe it? And here's a little test that I think, here's a little test that you might want to apply to yourself. Want you to not now, but at some point when you get home, and don't do it on a first date. I want you to write down what your flaws are, honestly say these are my flaws? And or do you have any idiots syncrasies? See, like I go through life. I am convinced I have no idiosyncrasies.
Speaker 3: I did.
Speaker 2: I can tell you my flaws that I truly can, but idiosyncrasies.
Speaker 3: I don't think I have any.
Speaker 2: Now, anybody who works with me or who lives with me would keel over in laughter at the idea that I don't have idiosyncrasies, but I, for the life of me, cannot name any because what is an idiosyncratic to you about me is to mean normal about me to me, and the same thing with your idiosyncracies about you, they are perfectly normal.
Speaker 3: That's all.
Speaker 2: You like to go to bed listening to the Dixie Chicks.
Speaker 3: On your radio, that's all.
Speaker 2: To you, that is normal, But to somebody else that is a little idiosyncratic. Or you prefer to sleep with your head hanging over the mattress. If you prefer to sleep that way, to you, that is thoroughly normal. To the rest of us, it's a bit idiosyncratic. Everybody comes with idiosyncrasies and with flaws, But if you have an image of perfection, flaws cancels that person out.
Speaker 3: That is why.
Speaker 2: I'm always amazed people tell me they dated for seven years the same person, and so I say, well, what did you exactly learn.
Speaker 3: After seven years? I mean, what is there to learn?
Speaker 2: I mean, I don't even understand that concept unless it's like from seventeen to twenty four.
Speaker 3: But if you're more than those, there's nothing left.
Speaker 2: After two years. To be honest, it's pretty much you know the person. Nobody acts for two years. They can act for three dates, but for two years, it's not possible to act that all. Anyway, those are things that baffle me. But number one is critical. You've got to get rid of this image of perfection. You're flawed. Anyone you love will be flawed. Can you handle those flaws? Now, ironically, are a little better at this, believe it or not than women. When on most micross things met women are probably more highly developed. But here it is because women marry men convinced they'll make them better.
Speaker 3: They will change them. Now.
Speaker 2: By the way, again, this is a double edged sword because it actually is a good idea.
Speaker 3: I am definitely.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's painful for me to tell you how much better I am because of my wife and because.
Speaker 3: Of the marriage.
Speaker 2: It's only painful because I realized what I started out as.
Speaker 3: That's why.
Speaker 2: But there's no question about it that I am a better that I am a better person in so many given ways. But on the other hand, if my wife made it a project to change me regularly, I would resent it. The trick is to make it a project. But I let him know about it. I guess that's the I don't know how it's done. But in all Syria business, that really is a problem that has to because you can't marry thinking well as he is now he is insufferable, but five year course with.
Speaker 3: Me he will be quite a man. You can't do that.
Speaker 2: It's not good for you and it's not good for him. Now, why do we have these images of perfection whereas previous generations did not? Right, that's a question that needs to be asked. And here again we live. You know, Dickens said, it's the best of times, it's the worst of times.
Speaker 3: That's probably true in most ages.
Speaker 2: We live in the best of times in many ways, but we live in the worst of times in some ways. And the media have a very powerful impact on us, unbelievably powerful, and more negative than positive. And the imagery of people that we are bombarded with every day, perfect males and perfect of course it's all an act, but they look perfect and they sound perfect, and it gives us an image in how are flawed life? Oh, there is a woman out there like that, there is a man out there like that, And so there is no way to really understand the flawed nature of anybody you will ever love when there is such perfection out there that is being offered to you as a real alternative. But it's all an act, and even the actors fall in for it. That's why actors marry actors. They fell in love on the set of a movie. You hear that all the time, and then they divorce a year later. They're off the set. They even fool themselves. And I don't say that disparagingly. It's very understandable why they would divorce, and it's very understandable why Hollywood actors would.
Speaker 3: Divorce a great deal because they're.
Speaker 2: Constantly around tens in an abnormal way that never existed in human history. Perfect imagery of the opposit, it's sex, is around them at all times, acting perfectly, given the right lines in the right lighting.
Speaker 3: You're not given lines in lighting at.
Speaker 2: A twenty four hour beautician, right, but they are, so of course they fall in love with the next best man or best woman on the set. But it happens to us too that we fall in love with the best man or best woman on the set, or at least keep in our mind that there is such a man out there or there is such.
Speaker 3: A woman out there.
Speaker 2: I think all eight are critical, but perhaps that one is the most important. The image of perfection that we hold and a normal, wonderful person isn't wonderful enough. Number two Again, I'm answering the question why people are not marrying today. A lot of people see unhappiness in their parents' marriage, or for that matter, in others marriages, not just their parents, or not even necessarily their parents, and so they conclude that such happiness is a inevitable to marriage, and be's is something I must avoid.
Speaker 3: Well, let me deal with that. Yes, the fact is unhappiness.
Speaker 2: Is inevitable to marriage. Okay, let me clue you in in case you've never been married. If you have been married, you certainly know this is true. There are unhappy times in marriages. It's a fact. I don't know of a marriage in which that has not been true. There may exist such a marriage. I remember meeting a couple and doing my research for my book on happiness, and they both looked at me and said with absolute seriousness that they had never fought once in their marriage. Of course, with all respect, they both seemed comatose to me, and the comatose, don't fight much. I mean, this was really mister and missus dispassionate that I was talking to.
Speaker 3: We never fight in it, no, honey, we never fight.
Speaker 2: And if they worked it out, God blessed them. But the vast majority of people fight in their marriage. The vast majority of people wonder, at some point in their marriage did they make a mistake? Think about what would it be like if they were single again? These are not nightmares, these are normal parts of life.
Speaker 3: Hey.
Speaker 2: The vast majority of parents sometimes wonder why the hell did they have this kid?
Speaker 3: Does that mean? Is that an argument against parent?
Speaker 2: It is very interesting to me that people don't use the same arguments against parenthood that they use against marriage. Is parenthood always fun? Ask your parents in case you really want to know. And I adore being a parent. It is adore it. It is an unbelievable source of joy in my life. But it is also a very strong source of.
Speaker 3: Burden. It's a burden to be a parent.
Speaker 2: They were just when I didn't want to wake up at six o'clock and watch cartoons after having worked till two. There are times when you just don't want to play another game of ball or to or to to clean up more vomit or God knows what you do. I mean, it's of course not, of course not. And children have a very challenging impact on marriages. They're the biggest single challenge to a marriage. It's my old line. God has a sense of humor. That which is created by passion then destroys it.
Speaker 3: And so.
Speaker 2: You know, when you think of children and their effect on the sex life of a couple, you know, I have met and I have met cups. Oh, it had no effect on our sex life. You know, I want to, you know, bring them to the Smithsonian. I really to me, it is, how is that possible? Do you do it while they're crying? I don't understand. But you know, if unhappy times make you avoid something, it should make you avoid parenthood. It should make you avoid anything meaningful in life, because everything meaningful has unhappiness attached to it, has tension, has unhappiness, has difficult times.
Speaker 3: That's inevitable.
Speaker 2: So if you say, well, my friend's marriage, my parents marriage, I saw these this unhappiness. Yes, that happens, but now too much of it is bad. I believe in divorce. When it gets too much, I do right I don't believe that life imprisonment, which is what a bad marriage is, is only for anyone but murderers. And if you didn't murder, you don't deserve life imprisonment and a bad marriage. On the other hand, it is part of marriage. It is part of life. It could take years, in fact, and then you overcome it and you reach a greater place where if you've worked it out, there is a deeper love and a deeper satisfaction. And most people who bury a second time. In fact, the divorce rate in second marriages is greater than the divorce rate in first marriages because they have imagined, oh, i'll trade this one in for a much better model. But they've not traded in their problems. They've only traded.
Speaker 3: In the person, but not their problems.
Speaker 2: Sometimes it does work, they'll get me wrong, of course it does. But this notion that I've seen my parents on happiness or I've seen friends on happiness in their marriage, is a very poor excuse for not marrying. What you do is you marry better, not perfect, just better. You'll work on it better. If you're part of the reason that your parents' marriage was not that good, was that your your father was a workaholic.
Speaker 3: Don't marry a workaholic.
Speaker 2: I mean, who knows what reason there might have been, but that is not a good reason. And I remember, I mean, I get this a lot on the radio, where whenever the subject comes up, where a woman will call me said, I love this man i'm dating, but he was burned in his first marriage. What is it?
Speaker 3: Burned in his first marriage? So he should go to what burn more and then go out again.
Speaker 2: I listen, I know guy's excuses for not committing so well that I mean, I could in my sleep, I could utter them.
Speaker 1: This episode of timeless wisdom will continue right after this. Now back to more of Dennis Prager's timeless wisdom.
Speaker 2: If a guy doesn't want to get married, he should be honest and say in the mirror and to the woman he's with, honey, I don't want to get married. As as much as I may love you, I just don't want to. But please don't give me this nonsense that I hate when people lie to themselves. I don't lying to others is bad, but to yourself is beyond redemption.
Speaker 3: And for a man to say, or a woman, well, I was so.
Speaker 2: Burned in my first marriage, and I can't imagine marrying again. You're lying yourself or you're so weak that you shouldn't be married. It's an I think it's an announcement to a woman that the guy is just weak. What if a guy said, you know, I was really injured in this car crash, I'm not going to drive again, you'd think you were with a wimp. And women tend not to like whims. Why is that any different with marriage? Why is that any different? You were burned in the car, you drive again. You were burned in a marriage, you marry again. Kind of nonsense. Just to me, that's nonsense, And it's it's a it's just an excuse for somebody not wanting to deal with the reality of commitment, which is not what is wired in for men. But then they should just be honest about it. So that's so much for people not marrying because they see unhappiness. There's a deeper element here. People don't want pain. We live in a risk averse and pain averse society. Okay, I mean people that the slightest thing seems to just bother a lot.
Speaker 3: Of Americans terribly.
Speaker 2: Any pain whatsoever of the physical variety, any annoyance. It's just you know, I'm going to assume because of my anguish. Oh God, I forgot it. There was a recent lawsuit over something utterly trivial, five million dollars for the anguish that the person suffered. I mean, I don't remember what it was, but I remember thinking. First of all, anybody who had a lot of anguish from that needs deep, deep therapy immediately. They don't need five million dollars. They need a good therapist. But it is a common thing now. I don't want any pain. Yes, there is pain in marriage.
Speaker 3: Hello.
Speaker 2: There is pain in marriage. There is pain in parenthood, there is pain in leadership. There is pain in everything worthwhile in life. If you wish to live life without pain, then so declare and tell anybody you're dating, because otherwise you're being dishonest in dating and implying that you actually want to live a real life which contains pain. There's nothing wrong with pain. Pain is part of life. If you don't feel pain, you're you are literally dead. Pain means you're alive. Pain is a wake up call to fixing something. Pain is okay, but people are afraid of it. I saw the pain in my friend's marriage, boy, I don't want to risk it.
Speaker 3: Well why not?
Speaker 2: Isn't the upside worth it? Are you all that thrilled right now?
Speaker 3: You know?
Speaker 2: People should should look at their lives. I want people to lead fulfilled lives while they're single.
Speaker 3: Absolutely.
Speaker 2: I told you I debated whether that would be my first topic to the topic today or not. It's very important that you not delay living life till you meet the right person.
Speaker 3: That's true.
Speaker 2: But in the meantime it is it is still worth meeting somebody and making that life, even though there's pain, and you know that all things considered, it's probably better to be with somebody if it is meaningful just to be with a human another body is not. But if there is something meaningful, of course it's better.
Speaker 3: You move on in life.
Speaker 2: Why are people not marrying? Reason number three? Because almost everything seems to be available without marrying. That's a very big factor. Just to give three examples, sex, companionship, and children. People used to marry for sex, companionship, and children, not necessarily in that order, but they did marry.
Speaker 3: For those three things.
Speaker 2: You can now have sex without marriage, companionship without marriage, and children without marriage, and nobody will yell at you, and there will be no stigma attached to your lifestyle.
Speaker 3: And so a lot of people think, Hey, why bother? I could have all.
Speaker 2: Those things anyway, even and I could even order in good Moses. So whatever it is that may have moved people in the past doesn't seem to move them now. This too, happens to be a blessing and a curse. The blessing part of it is that you really won't marry out of desperation. The curse part is, though, you won't marry at all, and that's what a lot of people are deciding to do.
Speaker 3: And you have to ask yourself.
Speaker 2: At a very you know, at a very serious moment, maybe two am, if you're not sleeping, Well, ask yourself this question. Am I happy with the way life is going right now? If I have a choice? Now, not everybody has a choice to marry. I acknowledge that fact obviously, But if you do have that choice or feel you have that choice, And I address especially a lot of men here, but not only men at all. I'll talk about the women issue in a moment, you really are happy with more dating? I mean, isn't there a time of life where you just say to yourself. My god, it's a little deja vous going on here. It's like groundhog Day constantly. The beauty of groundhog Day, which is why it's one of my favorite films. In the film I've seen more than any other film that I've ever watched, is that it has a phenomenal lesson that until you finally grow up, you can't move on. You're stuck in the same day. And a lot of singles, not all are stuck in that realm in the same day until you grow up and say, hey, wait a minute, I do have to move on. There is behavior that is appropriate in my twenties, perhaps, but not now.
Speaker 3: It's time to make a life, make a home, build something.
Speaker 2: Be part of a community, not just an autonomous, floating human being, which is so easily done in our modern day society. Number four, back to our media, and this is a very real problem. Marriage is almost never portrayed as desirable. I'm sure it exists. I don't know movies that well, but I cannot personally remember seeing a movie that depicted marriage as good. Maybe that's boring movie. Maybe no, I'm serious. Maybe a film about a good marriage.
Speaker 3: Will just put people to sleep.
Speaker 2: Well, good night, honey, I love you, sweetheart, I love you too. Why would you like for breakfast? I'll be happy to have it. And honey, can I bring home some flowers for you? Would put most audiences to sleep, Not that that is the definition of a good marriage, but you get my point.
Speaker 3: Nevertheless, all the good sex.
Speaker 2: For example, in movies, is of either married people having an affair or unmarried people.
Speaker 3: When is there good sex in a marriage? I can't think of it.
Speaker 2: I'm sure it exists, but if it exists, it's maybe one of a thousand marriages. But by most every study that has ever been done, While of course there are even sexless marriages, that is true, where it's just the passion has just died or what have you, and it's very tragic. Nevertheless, by and large, it seems that married people do have sex as it happens, contrary to Hollywood's vision, and that they may even enjoy it, and that it could even be exciting.
Speaker 3: Now, it is true that it is hard.
Speaker 2: The chemistry of the brain is so wired in both sexes that there is something staggering about a As you fall in love and lust together at the same time, those moments are very difficult to recapture.
Speaker 3: That is true. And if you live for excitement, which.
Speaker 2: I'm going to come to in a moment as another factor, then it is a problem. But marriage just isn't given the good name that it used to be. It's not honored. It's like another life choice, that's all it is. I remember years ago, and I was right when I saw this as momentous. Stanford University announced I don't know, maybe ten fifteen years ago, and I announced it on the radio.
Speaker 3: It was a little news item.
Speaker 2: It was no longer reserving its special apartments.
Speaker 3: There are very few apartments apparently around Stanford for.
Speaker 2: Married couples who you know, students who are studying there who were married.
Speaker 3: Now anybody could live there. And I said, this is Stanford's way of saying, we don't want to honor marriage. And now, of course marriage is not honored at all.
Speaker 2: Any anything, any single, any communal thing, is just as good.
Speaker 3: And it is very sad.
Speaker 2: Marriage is just not celebrated in the society at lart. It is celebrated in religious life, but of course not all Americans are religious. Number five, and this is related to what I was just saying. I have often characterized our age you know, it was the Renaissance, the age of reason, the age of Enlightenment. We live in the age of stupidity, and I believe that, and it's directly related to the proliferation of the number of professors the But there is another term for the age in which we live, and that is the age of excitement. This it's very important to be excited as much as possible. And I want to tell you there is a chemical and psychological basis here. It is almost like addiction. Do you know when you get excited, whatever the excitement may be at a sporting event, at a horror movie, in sex, there are hormones that are secreted at that time, including adrenaline, and that is a high. It's like a drug induced high. Chemically speaking, you can become very much addicted to it, like you are addicted to a drug induced high. I have to be excited. If a day goes by where there's no excitement, it's a bad day. Now again, I am not an asthetic and I'm not anti excitement. The trick is what do you get excited over? And here we have a problem because people get excited. They want excitement as much as possible, and marriage does not seem to offer regular excitement, and the truth is it doesn't. Marriage does not offer But please, let's be honest. A single life offer regular excitement. It offers periodic possible excitement. That's all it does. And I dare say that in the life of a decently married couple there is more excitement than in the life of a typical single.
Speaker 3: So please, it's true. It is true.
Speaker 1: This episode of timeless Wisdom will continue right after this. Now back to more of Dennis Prager's timeless wisdom.
Speaker 2: Married life is not constantly exciting. If you value constant excitement, then you must live a life of roller coasters. You visit all the theme parks, see horror movies, get into as much and as.
Speaker 3: Variegated sex as possible. The addiction to.
Speaker 2: Excitement, though, is a problem because while I was exciting yesterday, is not exciting today. I have monitored my whole life. Hugh Hefner's life, I don't know. It is a very is it is a very important thing to study because he is living the male fantasy. Life endless supply of beautiful women is the male fantasy.
Speaker 3: I mean, look at how you know. Islamic terror rists.
Speaker 2: Are told that they will be rewarded, right, seventy two virgins in heaven?
Speaker 3: Is this transcends any given culture? Wow?
Speaker 2: Seventy two. Well that's getting into Hefnarian proportions when you talk that way. But it's a very interesting thing. Hefner's life was a series of singular acts of sex with beautiful women, very enticing to the male libido. But that has now apparently bored him. Sex with even an endless variety of beautiful young women is now boring to him, And so he has with seven at a time, and he tells the world this, this is not I don't have any inside information. He walks around, he goes on television, He gets photographed with seven twenty two year old essentially women who, as it happens, look like clones of one another, which is fascinating in and of itself.
Speaker 3: But that's a separate issue.
Speaker 2: In other words, what was exciting before when you asked almost any man, imagine an endless variety of a playboy models to have at your rebecca call.
Speaker 3: That is no longer sufficient.
Speaker 2: So at seven at a time, I saw one photograph where it was now eleven. Soon it will be the rose bowl. Who knows we don't know at what number excitement will be necessary. The film Carnal Knowledge depicts us the Jack Nicholson character. He is so jaded sexually that only very precise sexual wording and acting will actually arouse him. Jaded misses a very that's the bad side of constant excitement. Excitement is good, but you know, there are a lot of forms of excitement in life. It is exciting to write a book. It is exciting to finish a book that you've just read. It is exciting to see your children grow up. It is exciting to have friends. It is exciting to travel. There are many forms of excitement, and they are desirable. Excitement is good. It can't be relied on, but it is certainly a good thing to have in life.
Speaker 3: I like it. Who doesn't like it?
Speaker 2: But if you get trapped into the well marriage isn't exciting, then of course don't get married. But marriage is exciting if there are byproducts of marriage that you consider exciting. There is something exciting about developing a life with somebody, making a home, having friends, having a community, building a world.
Speaker 3: Larger than yourself. It's a different form of excitement. It's not as adrenaline rush as.
Speaker 2: The excitement of oh my god, I met this, and fill in your series of adjectives and watch your life just move on as you're not moving on with your years. So the age of excitement is a real problem. You look at television, it's all very very exciting, very exciting. Indeed, that's why I think it plays a corrosive effect in people's lives, because television promises you constant excitement, and it makes you think, and it makes your body chemistry think that that's critical number six. And I don't mean this as criticism as much as I mean it as description. Feminism has played a role in why people don't marry. In this case, why women don't marry. Feminism essentially taught women that they don't need men, and a lot of women of my generation from the sixties seventies believed this. I remember the famous bumper sticker, A woman without a man is like a fish without a bicycle. It's a very funny bumper sticker. I thought it was hilarious, and as it happens, I fish do need bicycles.
Speaker 3: It was a very common misconception, but.
Speaker 2: This idea was planted in young women of my generation who were now middle aged. They bought this, Hey I don't need a man. Maybe my mother thought she needed a man, but she was a loser. Mom was a loser because mom didn't go to college and mom didn't.
Speaker 3: Have a career.
Speaker 2: All mom did was stay at home and raise kids and make a home.
Speaker 3: Gee, what a loser? A winner has a job.
Speaker 2: This is what was sent, the message sent to women, and they bought it. How could they not buy it? Who was going to argue against it?
Speaker 3: You think their mother or their father was capable of arguing.
Speaker 2: Against the professor so and so in women's studies, or in sociology or political science or psychology. The parents' generation didn't know how to argue. Kid would come home from college, the young woman and say and just mauve all these ideas. And the parents didn't have intellectual answers against intellectual nonsense. They weren't capable of saying, excuse me, a PhD isn't worth a hill of beans compared to making a home. That's what they should have said, but they were intimidated into.
Speaker 3: Not saying it.
Speaker 2: And so a lot of women just thought, hey, I don't need a man, and you know anything, anytime that I want companionship or you know, just somehow fine a guy, and after all, I'm desirable, not realizing that it's a lot easier to attract men when you're twenty than when you're forty than when you're sixty.
Speaker 3: But hey, wisdom is the last thing that's taught at college, the.
Speaker 2: Last, the very last thing. They're in fact anti wisdom institutions, and so the non wise teach the immature, and the immature believe that the non wise are giving them truths. And it's a very real problem. And feminism's home was the university is the intellectual class, and so a lot of young women were taught this. They were taught as well, you don't need anything. The idea that a woman would even say I need a man is so demeaning. But it's really, to me anti human to deny that we need each other. I don't think most men would argue that they don't need a woman, but women were taught that they don't need a man. Now, a lot of men do walk around thinking they need sex, but they don't need a woman. And I don't mean that they'll get it from a man, but they need sex, but beyond that, they don't need a woman. That is man's flaw in his thinking. A woman's thinking is now which is counter so counter to her nature as I.
Speaker 3: Believe her nature is.
Speaker 2: One may disagree there is no thing as female nature, but again you have to have a pH need to believe something so foolish.
Speaker 3: Of course, there are natures to each sex. Of course there are. We're wired in certain ways as a.
Speaker 2: General rule, and a woman does need a man, and a man does need a woman.
Speaker 3: And that is the way either I believe God made us. You don't like God.
Speaker 2: It's the way nature made us. But that is the way we are. But that is the opposite of what is taught.
Speaker 3: And so young women are taught. I remember when.
Speaker 2: If a girl would say, you could probably not find on a typical American.
Speaker 3: Campus today a let's say, a sophomore, junior, senior girl in.
Speaker 2: College, and who would say, say, what do you want in life? And or you know, what is your greatest ambition? And she'll probably name some job, because if she said, well, to love a man and to make a home, she.
Speaker 3: Would be considered to be an idiot. She would she would be.
Speaker 2: Dismissed as a simpleton, fool who went to college to get an mrs. That is what it was dismissed as girls who wanted to find a husband of college when I was there in the heyday of feminism. Oh, she's here for an mrs. As if that is the lowest form of life. You mean she's here to truck maybe find a man to build a life. God, what a loser.
Speaker 3: She must be a winner.
Speaker 2: Wants a PhD in a medieval Bulgarian architecture.
Speaker 3: That's a winner.
Speaker 1: Tomorrow on a Timeless Wisdom with Dennis Prieger.
Speaker 2: Your good life with men who don't hold the door for you. I'll have a good life with a woman who wants me to hold the door for them.
Speaker 1: Johns Tomorrow to hear more on Timeless Wisdom with Dennis Prager. This has been Timeless Wisdom with Dennis Prager. Visit Dennisprager dot com for thousands of hours of Dennis's lectures, courses in classic radio programs, and to purchase Dennis Prager's Rational Bibles.