Speaker 1: Life audio. Hey loves, I'm Dana Shay. I've been married for over twenty five years to my childhood sweetheart Sean. But our marriage hasn't always been sweet. There were some really dark nights caused by betrayal and conflict. We were so disconnected. Over the last decade, we've learned the tools to rebuild our marriage into something greater than we ever hoped for, and I want to help you do the same. As a marriage and relationship coach, I can give you the blueprint for how to rebuild your relationship. You're not here today by chance, friend, so turn up the volume and let me be your guide to rebuilding your life and rebuilding your love. Welcome to the Rebuilding US podcast. Hey friends, how often do you speak life over yourself? Did you know that psychologists and theologians both support the power of affirmations. When I wake up every morning, I speak positive affirmations all from the Word of God. It's totally changed my life. Imagine starting each day with renewed confidence, hope, and peace. I want to invite you into this practice of speaking life and to jumpstart your journey, I've created a soothing, meditative audio just for my faith Friday listeners, you can listen to this audio each and every day. It's yours for free at Danahshay dot com. Forward slash Speak Life. It's time that you take captive every thought and make it obedient to the word of God. Download your free audio today at Danashshay dot com Forward Slash Speak Life. Well, hello friends, thank you so much for listening to Rebuilding Us. I am your host, Dana Shay, and today we have a conversation, y'all. We need to have one of those like Mama Bear conversations where I need to pull you close and we need to talk about something that is really affecting a lot of Christian marriages. If you know anything about me, you know that I love marriage. I am pro marriage, I am a marriage coach. I believe in marriage. I talk about it all the time. But one of the things that we have to be careful about is that we have to be careful about making our marriages an idle an idle. Now, most of us in America, we don't think that we worship idols, right. We think that maybe that's something they do in like distant Asian nations or African nations. But we sophisticated Americans do not worship idols.
Speaker 2: A hahaa.
Speaker 1: America, my friends, is probably one of the most idle obsessed nations. We worship idols of every kind. I'm talking from food, to sex, to power, to celebrities, ourselves truthfully, and idle is simply anything that you worship. Now again, many of you are thinking, well, no, no, no, no, no, nope, Dana, I don't worship anyone or anything but God. Well, what is the definition of worship? See, the definition of worship is not singing, it's not playing music. It's not dancing, twirling around, laying prostrate on the ground. Those are all expressions of worship. But worship is what you devote your heart and your energy to. It is what you magnify above everything else. And if we're honest, we can all see areas in our lives where we have magnified things above the place of God. And this is really a sobering thought.
Speaker 2: Friends.
Speaker 1: I actually preached a message I want to say it was last year. It was called Idols in Disguise, and I talked to congregation about many different idols that we serve and bow down to in our nation. One of those idols, and I'm gonna even talking about today is the idol of marriage.
Speaker 2: Now. I am fresh off.
Speaker 1: Of a women's conference where I spoke at My voice is a little bit hoarse, so bear with me here today. But at this conference, I talk to these ladies about what I'm gonna talk to you about today, which is, how do we determine if our marriages are an idol? And if they are indeed an idol, how do we destroy the idol without destroying the marriage or the relationship, or God forbid the man or the woman. The truth is, you are supposed to love your spouse. You are supposed to be devoted to your spouse above pretty much everything except for God. God always has to take first place in your life. So I remember when Sean and I got married. If y'all know our story, we got married super young, eighteen and twenty one. I would have never thought that I had made Sean my idol. I would have never thought that I made marriage my idol. I'm just a young girl trying to have the best marriage that I can with the little information that I had at the time. But whenever Sean and I would have problems, I would get depressed. I would get discouraged. Life was over, you know. And that's one of the tailtale signs that you know, if something is an idol, because it takes up too much importance in your life. When it's not going well, you fall apart. Can we go through marriage problems without falling apart? Absolutely? And that is my hope for you. Your marriage is going to have some struggles, You're gonna have some problems from time to time. But if you fall apart every single time your marriage is on the brink, or every single time you and your spouse have an argument, or every single time you go through a season of disconnect, that is a telltale sign that maybe you're making your marriage an idle, you are elevating, or you are magnifying it to a place that is unhealthy. And that's ungodly. And we have got to be careful because all throughout Scripture we see how God was forever chasing the Israelites because they were forever erecting idols in his place. One of the ten commandments, if you know the ten commandments, you know the one of the ten commandments is thou shalt I'm gonna say this in King James, this is how I learned it, Thou shalt have no other gods before me, and some translations say beside me. I love that because it's not just a matter of us not putting anything before God, but it's also a matter of us not putting anything on par with God, on the same level with God. There is no one in nothing who can and should be in that place and that position with God. He is incomparable. There is no one who can compare with him.
Speaker 2: So when we.
Speaker 1: Place our spouses at the level of a God in our lives, we look to them for provision, for safety, for comfort, for peace, for love. I mean, these are all the things that we really need to attribute to the Lord. Now, does the Lord give us people to love us? Yes, to comfort us, Yes, to bring us companionship. Absolutely, there's nothing wrong obviously with human relationships. God loves human relationships. We were not meant to live life alone. But we have got to be so careful that we are not deriving our worth and our value and that we're not pulling on people to give us the things that only God can give us.
Speaker 2: All Right, So back to my story.
Speaker 1: Me and Sean eighteen twenty one, we're married, we're going through all kinds of stuff in our marriage, and I realized that I placed Sean at such a high level in my life that I wouldn't have called it idolatry or worship at the time, but looking back, that's exactly what I did. And so what happened was God allowed our marriage to fall apart. He allowed me to see a flawed man and a flawed woman talking about myself, and he allowed us to see who He really was, that he truly is the only one that is all the time faithful, that is all the time consistent, that is one hundred percent unconditional love at all times.
Speaker 2: We are not.
Speaker 1: And that is what happens when we put people on pedestals and we put people in places where they don't belong. God says, ooh hmm, I'm gonna have to show you who they really are so that you can see that there is no one like me. And this is not God doing this out of some sort of insecurity or out of some sort of pride. This is God saying, when you put your hope and your trust and people, you will forever be disappointed. Oh yes, you will. You know what I'm talking about. You put your trust and your hope and people. People are going to let you down, and you are going to let other people down. So when we wrap ourselves in our children and our husbands and our wives and our leaders, and these people fall, we can't handle it because we place them on a pedestal. We've placed them in a position that they cannot and will not be able to fulfill. So we're going to take a quick quick break. You guys, I have so much that I want to share with you, and this is not going to be a long episode today, but we do have to take a quick break.
Speaker 2: For a word from our sponsor. Let me encourage you.
Speaker 1: If you have not already subscribed or followed the podcast right now, go ahead and click that little follow or subscribe button on your phone or computer or wherever you're listening to this.
Speaker 2: We'll be right back. All right, friends, we're back.
Speaker 1: We're talking about how do you know if you've made your marriage or you could say your relationship. Maybe you're not married, you're in a dating relationship, And my goodness, this needs to be a whole other conversation, right, how do you know if you've made that person or that relationship?
Speaker 2: And idle?
Speaker 1: So there's a story of There's many stories, but there's a specific story in the book of Exodus, Exodus thirty two about when the people of Israel have been delivered from Egypt, God begins leading them to the Promised Land. Now spoiler alert, the promised land was him. He was their land, He was their promise. And this is where we get into trouble when we start wanting the things of God more than we actually want God. When we start wanting the beautiful, blessed marriage more than we want the blessed sir of the marriage.
Speaker 2: When we start.
Speaker 1: Wanting the beautiful, happy family more than the giver of families. So we've got to be really careful that we don't begin to desire what's in God's hand more than we desire God himself. And this is where the children of Israel got into trouble all the time, because they wanted the land, they wanted the provision, they wanted the peace, they wanted the security, they wanted all of those things that God was giving them. But then they forsook God. They said, thanks God, appreciate it, and we're good. We're on our own now. So there's a story in Exodus thirty two the children of Visoro are traveling to this promised land. Moses goes up on a mountain to receive the ten commandments from God. He's gone for forty days. The people become really agitated, irritated, frustrated. They're like, we don't know what's happened to this Moses guy, Aaron, who is Moses's brother. They're like, Aaron, make us a calf, make us an idol so that we can worship it. And this is such a tragic story in the Bible. I am not going to preach on this podcast, but I do want you, in your time to go and read Exodus thirty two and see the tragedy of what happens with God's people. And we can be so hard on the Israelites. We can look at them and be like, oh my gosh, they were grumbling, complaining. Now they're worshiping idols. Oh Lord, what in the world was wrong with those folks? But friends, hello, we can be the same way. We can do the same thing when we say, God, you are taking too long to fix this marriage. Lord, you are taken too long to change this man. Lord, you are taken too long to speak to this woman and tell her all the things that she needs to do in order to get herself together. And what happens is when we become impatient with waiting, we are then tempted to fulfill our own needs outside of God. That is literally what happens in idolatry. So I want you to think about, what are some things that you tend to do when you do not get your needs met or when you feel that you have been waiting for something too long? What are your tendencies if you, of course reach out to someone else, that's an easy one, right, like if you're committing adultery, Which is interesting that adultery sounds very much like idolatry because they literally are the same. And this is why throughout scriptures, God tells his people that you are an unfaithful people. You have committed adultery with all of these foreign gods and all these idols that they were worshiping.
Speaker 2: Same thing.
Speaker 1: So this is why when I talk to couples about infidelity and adult I don't call it cheating. I don't call it in discretion. I don't say, oh, you just made a mistake. I'm going to call it out for what it is you are committing adultery, which is idolatry because the one that your heart is supposed to be committed to, you're in covenant with that person, good or bad, highs and lows. You don't get an out to go and mix it up with somebody else because your needs aren't being met. So that's any easy one we all know. Okay, adultery is idolatry. But I want you to think about what are my tendencies when I do not get my needs met? What do I go to when I need comfort? What do I go to when I need to relieve some stress? What do I go to when I am full of anxiety and worry and fear and doubt. That is your indication of where the idols are in your life.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: Is it wrong to go to your spouse if you need comfort? Absolutely not. That's what they're there for. God gave them to you to help you. Is it wrong to think highly of your spouse, to talk about him or her all the time, to think good thoughts about him or her?
Speaker 2: Of course not.
Speaker 1: That's good, that's healthy. But when your thoughts are consumed with your spouse, when you only go to your spouse to meet your needs, that's when it becomes idolatry. So God wants to meet all of your needs, and the way that he does that is through people. When we go to the Lord and we're like, God, I am really lonely, God himself is not going to come down out of heaven and sit with you on your porch and have some tea. God is going to send you a neighbor, a friend, a child, a spouse. He's going to send you somebody. So again, don't hear what I'm not saying. God gives us people for our enjoyment, for our pleasure, for our peace, for our comfort. But when we place people and these unhealthy categories, then we risk worshiping them. We risk worshiping the relationship. And when you get to that place, you can expect God is going to frustrate that relationship. So again, what happened with Sean and I. Our relationship went through things. Now does that give us an out? We're like, you know what, it wasn't our fault, It was God's fault. Yep, yep, yep, God did it. No, No, we were willing participants in the destruction of our marriage. But God used that destruction in order to bring us back to himself. One of my all time favorite scriptures is in Revelation too, and this book, this letter, this whole book of Revelation, especially the first part is all of these letters that are written to the church. And in Revelation too, there's a letter to the church in Ephesus at that time, and so in Revelation two there is a line that says, you have left your first love, go back and do what you did for the first love was their relationship with God. There are times when your marriage is going to be doing really well. It's not in the bad times, y'all, that we forget about God. Oh no, no, no, we know who God is at the bad times, because we're reaching out for help, we're praying, we're crying, We're like God, please write. But when your life is going really well, when you don't quote need God, that's when you have to be careful. When your marriage is restored, when you have done the work of rebuilding, that's when you have to be really careful not to forget. And this is why again, all throughout Scripture, God tells it Israel lies, do not forget me. Remember where I brought you from. Remember, do not forget, Do not forget. He says it so much because he knows that the human tendency is that we need God until we get what we want from God, and then we're like, I'm good God, and God is like, I want to have a relationship with you that that is not transactional. Come on, how many of you want to be in a relationship with your spouse that's transactional. As long as you're giving your spouse sex, they're good. As long as you're meeting their needs, they're good. They want to talk to you, they want to be around you, but the moment that you stop doing that, they don't want to have anything to do with you. And unfortunately, friends, this is how we treat God a lot of times when we have a need, When we're praying for that marriage to be restored, when we're waiting for that child to come back home, when we're asking God for a miracle for one of our family members who's deathly ill. We're in God's face every day all day, and then when we get the answer, we go ghosts. We leave him on red. If I can say it that way, and I know that this breaks the heart of the father. So if you realize, yes, I have tended to put my spouse in a position where he or she does not belong. Yes, I have seen that I have made my spouse an idol.
Speaker 2: What do I do?
Speaker 1: How do I destroy the idol without destroying the relationship. So the first thing that I'm going to tell you number one is you need to evaluate your unmet needs? What are the needs that drive you to idolatry and y'all y'all can use this template for things outside of marriage too. I meant we take food, for example, we can make food and idle when you're depressed. It's like, come on, Ben, come on Jerry, let's go sit on the couch together. And you're eating your little Ben and Jerry's ice cream, trying to make yourself feel better. Ask yourself, what.
Speaker 2: Need am I feeling?
Speaker 1: Where's the unmet need? So if you're looking at okay, I've realized that I might make my spouse an idle and I don't want to do that anymore. How do I destroy the idol without destroying the marriage? One look at what are your unmet needs? What are the areas in your life that cause you to lean on your spouse in an unhealthy way? To dignify or exalt your spouse in an unhealthy way. What are those needs? Maybe for you, it's feeling rejected. So you felt rejected your whole life, and so you cling to your spouse because they accept you, they love you. You have a good spouse. You want to be with them all the time because being with them helps you to feel accepted. Again, that's not a bad thing, But you've got to deal with the rejection issue or else you will have an unhealthy attachment to your spouse. So take that to the Lord God. I realize that I've still got this wound from my childhood when I felt rejected. Would you heal me of that? So the first thing, realize you're unmet needs. Number two, you've got to be honest. And that's really the big elephant in the room here, is that you've got to be honest about the fact that you've placed idols in your life. You place them there. They didn't jump into your life them there. And the good news is, since you place them there, you can take them out.
Speaker 2: You don't have to wait for God to destroy them. You can destroy them.
Speaker 1: So being honest with yourself saying yes, Lord, I realized that I have made my marriage an idle.
Speaker 2: I have made these kids in idle.
Speaker 1: And let me tell y'all, parents, do not be around here making your kids an idle, because those kids are going to leave and you are going to be sadly, sadly disappointed. So be honest. Third, you need to put something in the way, a distraction, a barrier and obstacle that prevents you from leaning on that idle in an unhealthy way. If this were something that you could destroy, I would tell you to destroy it. Like if you know that you go to sugar to comfort you, I'm speaking to myself to comfort you.
Speaker 2: Right then.
Speaker 1: You don't want to put that in your home. You want to destroy the opportunity to set yourself up that way where you can't put your spouse outside of your home. They're still gonna be there, and it's not their fault that you've made them an idol. But what you need to do is you need to put a barrier up. That could be simply before I go to my spouse for comfort, I'm gonna pray there's your barrier right there. I'm gonna go to God first, I'm gonna let him know these are the things that are troubling me. This is why my heart is heavy. Lord, I'm going to reach out to him first. Now, he very well may tell you I want you to go talk about this with your spouse. Great, if he tells you to do that, go do that. But if you know that you've got an unhealthy way of processing grief or processing trauma, or processing your needs being met, and you always go to your spouse first, then the simple switch is to go to God first. Put something in the way that is going to distract you or detract you from choosing that person over God. And then, fourth, and finally, you need to put God back on the throne, put him back in his rightful place. So maybe you've let your devotional life go, you've let your prayer life go, maybe you don't worship anymore like you used to. It's time for you to bring back those things and put God in his rightful place. I love my husband, I really do. But he does not stand in the same place as God. And that's a good thing because if I am going to him, or if you are going to your spouse to meet all of your needs, what happens when that person can't or won't or doesn't Then you've put all of your security and all of your confidence in them. You see, when you place all of your confidence and the Lord, he doesn't fail. And you don't have to be afraid of what.
Speaker 2: If he doesn't come through. You don't have to be afraid of that.
Speaker 1: He's constant, he's consistent, he's committed. So this is an episode that you might just want to linger on. I want you we're not going to do an affirmation today. Instead, I want you to take some time and I'm just gonna let some soft music play for about thirty seconds, and I want you to take some time and get real real with yourself about the idols that you have placed in your life.
Speaker 2: Maybe for you it isn't your marriage.
Speaker 1: Maybe you're listening to this episode because you wanted to tell somebody else that they've placed their marriage as an idol. Maybe for you it's something else. But I want you to be really honest with yourself. God, what are the idols that I have erected in my life? If you can destroy them, destroy them, and if you cannot, then I want you to put a barrier or an obstacle, which is going to the Lord first before going.
Speaker 2: To that person.
Speaker 1: So I just want to give you some time here for about thirty seconds, just to reflect, allow the whole spirit to speak to your heart.
Speaker 2: Right now.
Speaker 1: I want to just add my faith to your faith and say yes and amen to every prayer that you just prayed. May God be firmly rooted in your life. And may we never bow down to the idols of our marriage, our relationships. May we never place anything above before or beside God. Thank you so much for listening today. You can find the show notes to this episode and all the episodes at Rebuilding Us podcast dot com. We'll see you on the next episode.
Speaker 2: Take care,