Speaker 1: Here we are now in the world renowned rotunda of the National Archives, where the Charters of Freedom live, or in the two fiftieth two and a fiftieth celebration year, and I think the word's gotten out.
Speaker 2: This is part of our American DNA. I'm walking into the vaults that house America's history. One guards the documents that inspired this nation. The other guards the charters of freedom that protected And I'm asking a simple question, what does it take to preserve the ideas that make a nation possible? In Washington, d C. The rotunda at the National Archives holds what we call the Charters of Freedom, the Declaration of Independence, the Constitution, and the.
Speaker 1: Bill of Rights.
Speaker 2: We met up with National Archivist Jim Byron, who is helping safeguard the words that shape this nation. Jim, I have to confess right away that's sort of a geek out alert here being in National Archives as an early American historian. Thank you and your staff for your great service, especially in this year of America's two fifty. There are a lot of people here to see these founding documents. I think the audience knows why they're important, but sort of high level, why do you think you're almost overrun with visitors today.
Speaker 1: We're in the two fiftieth, two hundred fiftieth celebration year, and I think the word's gotten out. You know, this is the home of the Declaration of Independence. The whole foundation that our country was built upon is right here. It's one hundred steps that way. It's pretty amazing to see people come in from not only all over the United States, but but all over the world, and to appreciate the impact that the Declaration has had on two hundred and fifty years later.
Speaker 2: You know. Having taught the founding era many, many times, more times than I can remember, which is a common on my age, I'm always filled with patriotism. Frankly, I'd step in here and see so many people, probably most of them Americans, but hopefully people from all around the world because they're drawn to that timeless document. What is it about the history of that the sort of historical context that is just timeless in its appeal to the human heart.
Speaker 1: Well, a lot of ideas come together in the Declaration of Independence, right, I mean, if another seminal document in world history, the Magnet Carta, is here in this building as well. Those concepts of individual liberty of participation in one's government really sort of formed and fomented with the Magne Carta. And then of course you have John Locke in sixteen eighty nine, which was a major influence on our founding fathers, and again sort of those then philosophical concepts of individual liberty and participation in government. Walter Isaacson has done a new book called The Greatest Sentence Ever Read and short. It's it's only about eighty pages. It's well worth I think everyone taking a look at. And he writes in there that Benjamin Franklin was heavily influenced by a Scottish philosopher called David Hume and goes and stays with him in Scotland for a month in seventeen forty eight. And it's just so many different ideas from different great thinkers and Enlightenment thinkers over the sixteenth, seventeenth, and ultimately eighteenth centuries come together in that document, not to mention those of Thomas Jefferson, really the principal principal writer on the Committee of Five. And it's a masterpiece. And I think this year it's very special to be here at the National Archives, the home of the Declaration of Independence. To be able to celebrate that and it's continued impact on our country.
Speaker 2: The Archives present the founding is something you can see with your own eyes. That's the quiet power of the Charter of Freedom. The public isn't asked to trust an interpretation. The public is invited to look for themselves.
Speaker 1: And the paintings are very interesting. They're actually painted, they're allegorical, but they were painted in the nineteen thirties in New York City, actually in Grand Central Station. Really yeah, yeah, And so this is the presentation of the Constitution to George Washington. This is the presentation of the Declaration of Independence. And you can see Thomas Jefferson, it's principal author.
Speaker 2: Those murals have their own history. The rotunda's monumental canvasses were painted to honor the Charters of Freedom and bring a sense of reverence to this sacred place. But beyond safeguarding the documents, the National Archives has an additional obligation of making the very words understandable and in many cases legible for younger generations whose education has let's say evolved.
Speaker 1: Believe it or not, a lot of students actually have issues reading and writing cursive yeah, So what we've done is taken you know, Lincoln's handwriting and in many cases typed it out as well for people to sure to be able to read. So this is George Washington's copy of the Constitution in draft form. That amazing, and that's his handwriting. Well, this is the first page. And then it's unbelievable.
Speaker 2: Ideas can be timeless. Paper is not light, oxygen, heat, and time itself can erase with the Founders put down. When you think about all of those philosophers, and not only in the Enlightenment, although they were very important obviously, thinking about Hume, Montesquieu, many others, but even going centuries back, that one of the great geniuses of Jefferson and the people who came together around the Declaration was putting all of that together into this singular document that could speak not only to the American condition at the time and not only the American condition two hundred and fifty years later, but to the condition we're all wired to, which is toward freedom absolutely and along the way. While those ideas have persisted, sometimes there has been challenges in preserving the document itself right.
Speaker 1: Sort of the science of this place as well it's.
Speaker 2: Right to that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the Declaration has had an interesting life over the last two hundred and fifty years. Arkaval preservation wasn't necessarily well, I should say. The degree to which the document is preserved today was certainly not what it was back then. Now the Declaration is encased in something called argone ar gone gas, which is a natural element. But by sucking the oxygen out of the document, it actually keeps it in its perfect form, so to speak. It's not going to deteriorate. Now. The Declaration itself is far from perfect. It was displayed in the White House in the Executive Office Building for a long time, and it hung actually above a fireplace, so it got smoked out. It has traveled all over the United States. It was saved and smuggled out of the Capitol during the War of eighteen twelve. So it's lived a very interesting life. Today it's the job of the National Archives to preserve it, and so it's encased in that argonne glass. It doesn't move and it's here for everyone to see.
Speaker 2: But the founding record doesn't begin in the rotunda. It begins with books and pamphlets passed around before the founding documents were made Cannon. To see the intellectual scaffolding, we met up with Kevin Butterfield, a director at the Library of Congress.
Speaker 1: We're in the Rosenwald Room, Rare Book Special Collections Division of the Library of Congress. I want to take you down to the founding of the nation. Here we have the sort of early settlement, but the founding of the nation really I think kicks off in January of seventeen seventy six with this pamphlet called Common Sense. Thomas Paine wrote this. He's only lived in America for a couple of years at this point. He writes a powerfully moving argument for independence. You know some of the lines that he calls the king the royal brute, and he's a great rhetoric in common sense, though powerful rhetoric. And it was a sensation that this is a very first printing. But I'll actually let you take hold of a slightly later printing out of Blancashire. This is a This is the original stab stitching from Michael would have been used later in seventeen seventy six. And this gives you an indication of just how ephemeral these things really were. These things were there to be read passed around and in some cases, of course bound and beautifully preserved, but in most cases not. I mean, what a treat. So do you know James Thompson is a Scottish poet here and so the one sort of kind of high literary device. He pulls a couple of lines out of Thompson's poetry from the seventeen forties I think seventy thirties actually, But the rest of it is just very ordinary, plain spoken language, and that's the power of it. The struggles of seventy six, which I think we all have some sense of, but it culminates ultimately with the crossing of the Delaware in Christmas Day of seventeen seventy six. Just before that, Thomas Paine took another stab at writing for the American people, this is the American crisis. These are words perhaps even more powerful in terms of the rhetorical impact of just a handful of sentences than common sense. I think every American has heard these things. But I'll read a couple of senses. These are the times that tri men souls, the summer soldier in the sunshine, patriot will in this crisis shrink from the service of this country. But he that stands it now deserves the love and the thanks of man and woman. He published this about a week before the crossing of the Delaware. The story is that true Washington had it read to his troops. It's very possible that they were just reading it themselves, but either way, this was setting a power in a moment that's culminated on December twenty fifth.
Speaker 2: This is part of our American DNA one.
Speaker 1: Percent, and I think to everyone is these are the times the tribe and souls. I mean, it entered the lexicon in a way that Pain would have been very happy about. As we head into the founding across the Wars concluded, there's the seventeen eighties, I think people commonly call a critical period of American history, and it culminates in what Thomas Jefferson would later call one of the greatest statements of political theory and the Federalist. So there are eighty five essays that John j Alexander Hamilton, and James Madison Wright to argue for the ratification of this newly written constitution. What you're looking at here is Thomas Jefferson's copy of The Federalist. Jefferson's copy of the Fellows. Jefferson's copy came to the library when he came to Ira Library in eighteen fifteen. After the British burned the Library of Congress went while burning the Capitol in eighteen fourteen, Thomas Jefferson sold to the library, sold to the Congress at what a price they were willing to pay him four hundred and eighty seven books, and this is one of them. And this copy actually has a more interesting provenance than just that. Elizabeth Hamilton was the first owner. That's the wife of Alexander Hamilton. She gave it to her sister, Angelica s gal er Church, who became friends with the Jeffersons while they were stationed overseas in Paris in particular, and that moving from the Hamilton family over to Jefferson, he receives this. He actually then does what many Americans were doing at this time, because these were all written under a pen name Pouplius. He writes down who he thinks wrote each of them, and of course he's good friends with Madison, so who wrote by asim inside knowledge, he lists the numbers written by Jay, the numbers written by Madison, the rest by Alexander Hamilton. He's wrong on a few instances.
Speaker 2: By the way, this is instructive for those of us who still theorized about the mystery of of the authorship of.
Speaker 1: Some of those essays. I think I think a lot of people don't realize this unless they've taken my course or perhaps yours, that there are still a few essays that we're just not sure. Madison and Hamilton wrote in such a similar way, with a similar power and argument, that there's a handful of essays that could well have been either one of them. And that's just where we are. But The Federalists was printed in two volumes. That's in the McLean edition, the very first printing. In fact, people usually say the eighty five essays were first published in newspapers. There were eight that were first published in book form and only later came out in newspapers. The last several, and this Jefferson copy is also with the green ribbon, is an instance of a book that survived from that original sale in eighteen fifteen to the present. Sadly, some of Jefferson's books didn't. In eighteen fifty one, there was another fire that damaged some of those books, But the Library of Congress has worked hard to reconstruct the entirety of that original sale. The six thousand and four and eighty seven books were nearly there, a handful that we may never be able to track down. But it's a really amazing project. People can come to the library and actually see it on display.
Speaker 2: Oh, that's remarkable. And this, given that it's Jefferson's volume, would be special enough. With the fact that missus Hamilton owned it prior as or real story.
Speaker 1: Amazing and Jeffson, as everyone knows, Jefferson and Hamilton parted ways, but there is a connection between the two right here.
Speaker 2: Given the work that happens here, the collections here, the preservation of literature, why is that crucial for us distinctively as Americans.
Speaker 1: One of the things this library does is it combines a couple of purposes. We're a legislative library, right We're here to serve Congress, and there's a law library. There's an entire division called the Congressional Research Service that actively serves Congress the ports their work. But we are also a de facto national library, a collecting. You think of the British Library, I think of the BNF in Paris, a collecting of the great cultural record of this country and that and beyond to be frank, but that work is something that we believe serves. It creates a permanence to what happens here.
Speaker 2: Taken together, these two institutions do something irreplaceable. One safeguards the nation's charters, the other keeps the documents that tell the story of how we arrived here. What many Americans don't realize is these institutions are here for them. And I don't just mean in a general public sense. These institutions will step up and help any individual American citizen who requests it.
Speaker 1: There are thirteen and a half billion pieces of paper, with a billion pieces of eight and a half billion in the National Archives across about forty facilities around the country, including the presidential libraries at which the National Archives plays a role. And you want to talk electronic records, right, So you know nowadays most business gets done on the Internet, and it's done electronically. Thirty five billion electronic records that all make their way here the different federal agencies at the end of their life. So it's a massive amount of information. And I would encourage anyone who wants to look up their family history through genealogy, or is interested maybe in presidential research, Contact an archivist, Contact a specialist. Can go online to archives dot org, excuse me, archives doc gov and they'll help you out.
Speaker 2: So the National Archives isn't just for historians and researchers for that matter, not even just for the very important visitors who are here to see the founding documents and others. It really is the people's house.
Speaker 1: And that's what we've been Yeah, exactly, that's what we've been really trying to highlight during this two hundred fiftieth aniverse.
Speaker 2: For a year, when you stand before the Charters of Freedom, you are encountering a standard. These documents survive because Americans decide they are worth protecting, and the work of institutions like the National Archives and the Library of Congress keep that standard visible. So every generation has a chance to measure itself honestly against the founding claim that rights are real and self government depends on a people serious enough to preserve the truth. On behalf of all of us in heritage. But I think I can speak on behalf of fellow Americans who are grateful. Thank you, thank your staff for your service, especially in this year of America two fifty. It's been a great conversation.
Speaker 1: Thank you, Thank you.
Speaker 2: I want to thank you on behalf of Americans because I think that your great guide through each of these books will inspire a lot of people, hopefully to visit the library, but at the very least to appreciate the importance of preserving the past.
Speaker 1: While we're here, and we are still here to have people come in and use these collections. I'm excited I got to show with you.
Speaker 2: Thanks so much, very careful