Speaker 1: Life Audio.
Speaker 2: Good morning, friends and faithful listeners, Thank you so much for tuning into the Bible Explained on this lovely Saturday morning for this special podcast episode where you guys might remember about a month back that I shared an episode of on the Ground with Samaritan's Purse on this podcast and with Christy Graham, and I got the opportunity today actually to interview Miss Christie myself, and so I'm excited to have her on the podcast this morning for all of you faithful listeners, and so she is here with us. So if you could say a few words, Miss Christy to the audience.
Speaker 3: Hello, the Bible explained. I am so excited to be on here, and again I'm honored. I know they're typically tuning in to hear you explain the Bible to really go into it, which we will talk about because that is a part of everything that we do at Smaritan's Purse. So I am excited to be a part of this conversation today.
Speaker 2: And I'm excited to have you as part of this conversation. So the first question I want to ask, just to really get to know you and also for my audience to get to know you, is what is your relationship with Samaritan's Purse and with the Graham family.
Speaker 1: So who are you?
Speaker 3: So I don't know For people who don't know about Samaritan's Purse, it is a christian An evangelical humanitarian organization that was founded in nineteen seventy by Bob Pierce. But my father in law, Franklin Graham, he took over as president and CEO a couple years later when he Bob Pierce had cancer. And so my father in law, Franklin is has been leading this organization for many years, over fifty years. And my husband, Edward, is his son. So when I got married, you know, I knew about Samaritan's Purse. My husband at the time was in the military. We were in the army for sixteen years and or he was, but I was a part of that, and so we saw and got to visit and see, you know, the ministry throughout the years. But then about eight years ago, the Lord called my husband Edward to come work full time with Samaritan's Purse. So we left the military to come serve here and he is the chief operating officer with Smaritan's Purse and I get to work in communications on the podcast called on the Ground, and so again we've been a part of the ministry from Afar for many years, but now we work here full time and I love getting to be a part of this ministry Smaritan's Purse.
Speaker 2: That's wonderful. So how has working with Samaritan's Purse shaped your family's life.
Speaker 1: It's shaped it in many ways. You know.
Speaker 3: When we moved here again, I said, we were in the military, and so i'd you know, Lord, how can I be a part of this ministry? How can I support my husband? You know, and he travels a lot, and so the podcast is such a wonderful way for me to get to see what God's doing around the world and kind of get to be a bridge between our prayer warriors and our donors and then the people that are in the field carrying out the work. But it's I didn't expect it to change me personally so much. I'm a mom of four, and I think it's even changed my parenting. It's changed everything because when you watch people surrender and say yes to the Lord. You know, we serve in some very difficult and dangerous places, and when you watch people say yes to serving the Lord, it changes my daily life. And I'm sure you see this too. The Bible changes our daily life, you know, when we read what God wrote, you know, thousands of years ago, it is alive and active in living, and so I get to see, you know, God moving and shaping and working. So it changed me in more ways than I ever thought I would. But the bottom line is I get I get a front row seat of what God's doing around the world, and I get to share it with people.
Speaker 1: So it's it's a joy and a privilege.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, and I fully relate with everything that you're saying there about the Gospel changing you. You know, when I started the podcast almost seven years ago, at this point, I really did not think I believe that I understood the Bible fully, and man, how arrogant I was. But speaking of you, you know, sharing all of this with with just your listeners, tell us a little bit about your podcast On the Ground with Samaritan's Purse. I know you use the podcast to share the stories from the front lines of your work to encourage people in their own faith with God. So how is hosting this show changed you?
Speaker 3: Well, yeah, the podcast On the Ground with Samarines Purse, it literally takes you on the ground. And so because the work of Smirns Purse is so varied, you know, our goal and everything that we do is to share the gospel, to help people that are hurting and introduce them to Jesus. But we do that through many different ways. And so the podcast is exciting because I'm sure you know this how it is for you too. With scripture, it is it's everything's different. So one day we'll be talking about Children's Heart Project, an amazing project where kids get life saving heart surgery, and then one day we'll be talking about our disaster relief, you know, and so every episode is different, but there's a commonality because we share scripture and we share the gospel in every episode because that is what our work does.
Speaker 1: In the field.
Speaker 3: So it's it's an exciting, ever changing podcast. But the goal was to I think many people get involved with the ministry, maybe through one of the vehicles like Operation Christmas Child. You know, say, for instance, many people that are listening might have heard about that ministry, which you know, we send shoe boxes to kids all around the world, and so maybe you only know about that part of the ministry, but the podcast, you know, we hope to introduce you to even more and so, and like you said, it's it's like scripture. I mean, you think you know about the ministry, and I think I know about scripture, but the more you dive into it, you realize you don't know. Because God is so big and he does exceedingly abundantly above what we ask or imagine. And so even there's days where I think I know about one of our projects and I realize I don't, you know, when I talk to somebody in Kenya carrying it out in the field, I realize.
Speaker 1: That I don't know anything.
Speaker 3: And you know, he shares things about what's happening, and so I learned something.
Speaker 1: Every day.
Speaker 3: I'm humbled and overwhelmed, and I just realize I'm just such a small part. You know, that God is the one moving and acting, and so it's just exciting to be a part of it. But I think I'm just learning that I'm a constant learner, you know. And same with scripture. We try to put scripture into every episode as well, because that is, you know, the grass withers and the flowers fade, but the word of the Lord stands forever. And that's why all the projects that we do, we hand out Bibles, we introduce people to the local church. We want them to be discipled and to grow, and so we strug study God's word as well, which again is constantly changing, piercing my heart, convicting me, which I love. So I feel like every episode I am overwhelmed by God's love and I'm you know, changed in the process. So it's not about me trying to change or do anything. It's it's God is constantly changing and teaching me.
Speaker 2: I actually I have a friend who personally was very helped by Samaritan's Purse, really with the veterans program that you guys do, and so you do have like a bunch of yeah, and their marriage was like really helped through the veterans program. And so it's amazing how many different things that Samaritans Purse does that I think people don't really know about. So share with us, like some of the things that you would say on like do you do encouragement or would you do more of like a you know, sharing a inspirational story of somebody that might have been helped by Samaritan's Purse.
Speaker 1: We do a little bit of everything.
Speaker 3: You know, our team, our communications team, we come in and we try to plan out what the next episode is going to be. But obviously when we either talk to the people or we God rewrites the story. But yes, we try to introduce a project and actually, what you just shared Operation Healer Patriots, that's one of my favorite projects. It is a ministry to our two wounded veterans. You know, it is for a couple, so we we reach out to whether it's the wife or the husband that served in the military. We the couple gets to go to Alaska for a week. It's a marriage retreat. And so say say the episodes on Operation Healer Patriots, I get to talk to our couples or I get to go to Alaska, and you know, take people in a life of you know, so it changes the way we do it. But sometimes we'll take people in a day in a life of the ministry and I'll literally walk throughout the ministry introduce them to people. Sometimes it's a deep dive with one person, you know, hearing their story or their heart or what they're seeing. Sometimes there's multiple voices. So again the episode and the approach is different in everyone. But each episode our goal is to one share the gospel of Jesus Christ and study scripture, but then also to help people learn about different projects and vehicles that Samaritan's Purse has. So they're very different. And I think it's neat the Lord. He sometimes writes and carries an episode we had no intention of covering, but it's yeah, typically trying to take people to the front lines and introduce them to the work of Smaritan's Purse.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's wonderful.
Speaker 2: So I know that you talk a lot about prayer on your podcast, and in fact, I think it was the episode that I shared of your Guys' podcast that did talk a bit about prayer. So how is prayer are foundational to the ministry?
Speaker 3: Yeah, so Samaritans Perse our international headquarters is here in Boone, North Carolina, but we have offices all throughout the country. But then we also have country offices all around the world. Sometimes when we respond to a disaster, we find that there is long term work needing to be done, so we'll set up a country office and so all of our offices, with our staff, they all start their day in scripture and in prayer. And here here in Boone, you know, we start our day. We have somebody that shares a devotion and then leads in prayer corporately. But then we break up into small groups at our table, and we literally have prayer cards on our you know, everybody grabs one in the morning and it.
Speaker 1: Has our.
Speaker 3: Field, our staff that are serving all over the world. So we pray for them by name because we know it is so important. We do not do this work alone. It's like Ephesian six. You know, we know that we have an enemy and we have to put on the full armor of God, and so we pray over our staff by name, our country offices, whatever card you have. And I love that because every single person at s Maarsbors wherever you will serve, whatever you do, we start at the same and it's that dependence on the Lord.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 3: It is not about us. And actually just shared a scripture the other day, and I've seen this in my recent interviews. It is every leader here at sparsbverse or person carrying it out, our confidence is in the Lord. I just want to read tewod Corinthians three four through six. It says, such is the confidence we have through Christ before God. It is not that we are It's not that we are Christ. Okay, sorry, I'm let me pull us closer. Such as the confidence we have through Christ before God. It is not that we are competent in ourselves to claim anything as coming from ourselves, but our adequacy is from God. He has made us competent to be ministers of the New Cup, and I think we take that very seriously. We realize that we are not competent, we are not in charge. We are every single person here is so relying on the Lord, and so prayer is foundational. And even Bob Pierce, who founded this, you know, he wanted to say yes to things that he couldn't do in his own strength. And that's what we call the God Room principle. You know, we say yes to projects and responses and tragedies that we as an organization could not carry out without the Lord. And so it's it's incredible we find time and time again where we say we can't respond to that, we can't do this, it's not possible, and then the Lord makes away. And it is because we're so relying on prayer, and so we've seen time and time again we're the Lord answer prayers. So I asked that often on my you know, when I have people on you know, how have' you seen the Lord answer prayer lately? And it's just incredible. You know, sometimes it's so small. It's something like a doctor serving at a hospital in remote you know, remote place that needs a sharpie marker and somebody happens to visit and say, here's a marker. You know, something so small, but then there's also something so big that again God goes before and he answers prayers that I love it that we have an intercessor working on our behalf. So that was a ramblely long answer, but I think we just learned time and time again the dependence and the need to stay relyant on the Lord.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I think that that's absolutely great. And so speaking of some of the things that you've seen at Samaritan's Purse, I know that you've been in the field with some families who lost everything after Hurricane Helene, and you are also in Venezuela right after two earthquakes completely devastated that region. So what was it like being on the ground there after the disaster or can you share any stories of those times?
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's it's really hard, and like I said, we have so many different vehicles, so many different ways that we serve. Sometimes it's like you said, through our US disaster relief, we helped with Hurricane Helene. We're helping currently in many different parts throughout the country. I got to see a community that had been rocked by a tornado, and then, as you said, I got to go to Venezuela and see a earthquake that just devastated And so the disaster is different, but the I think it's the reality that we live in a fall and broken world, right, and so we meet people in the ditches of life and again the ditch and the disaster, it's different, but there's heartbreak and devastation and hopelessness. And I love that we Samarn's purs We always work with the local church, whether it's domestic or international, we work with the local church, and so Venezuela, for instance, we have so many church partners that we've been working with for years. We have a country office in Columbia, but we have been working in Venezuela doing feeding programs, different things for many years.
Speaker 1: And so when.
Speaker 3: The earthquake hit, we called our trick partners right away and they were able to help us and figure out exactly where the needs were the biggest, and so our team got in. We had an emergency field hospital set up within forty eight hours and we were able to start serving patients. And then we had water points and so many different things that we were doing through the local church. And I'll share one story because I think it highlights the need for everybody. Again, whatever they're coming for, we all have a need, right, we all have a spiritual need.
Speaker 1: We are separated from God.
Speaker 3: And I was at a water point and this one lady came to get water, and she actually had been there before. So when she greeted one of our staff members, it looked like they were old family friends. But they had prayed together a couple days before, and she said, I came first for the water, but I keep coming back for the prayer and encouragement. And her husband had died in the earthquake and she'd lost everything, you know, her home, everything. And so when you're at that point of hopelessness here, you know, when here on Earth your circumstances, you don't have any hope, and you're introduced to Jesus, your hope becomes an anchor, firm and secure, and it's just incredible to see people that have literally lost everything find hope in Jesus, some for the first time, or some maybe they've known about him, but this tragedy brought them back. And so I just love again getting to watch people in some of their hardest days. It's it's humbling and overwhelming that they let you in and they let you, you know, carry that burden. And then again I love watching our local church because they will be their long term and so we get to introduce them to our church partners and some many start coming to church and they start, you know, their lives are really changed by a bad, you know, a hard, bad situation. But God uses it for good and for his purposes and his glory. And so that's just one story. But yeah, I am humbled and overwhelmed every time I get to go into the field and meet people and our paths may have never crossed, you know, and until this disaster hit, and then we become brothers and sisters in Christ and have a bond far greater than this earth could could give.
Speaker 2: So I'm curious a little bit about the Ebola epidemic. You recently covered a training where some doctors and nurses were preparing to deploy to Africa to fight Ebola. I can only imagine the prayer and faith that it takes to deploy to in a Bola outbreak, right when everybody else, I'm sure is trying to get away from it. So what stood out to you the most about this?
Speaker 3: Yeah, our teams. We have two ABLA hospitals up in the Democratic Republic of Congo where a huge outbreak is going on, and and Ebola is a horrific, horrible disease, but it is it is preventable, you know, with the proper teaching and sour Our hospitals do two things. You know, they educate and train people how to prevent diseases like this, but then they're also fighting and training it. And I am always overwhelmed by our teams that go into I mean, no, no disaster that we respond to is is easy, but Ebola is definitely.
Speaker 1: Very scary.
Speaker 3: And I got to go a couple We do this all throughout the year. We prepare in advance, but knowing that this was coming and we were going to send a team, we had another training event and I got to go to it. I got to put on the PPE, which is the protective you know, equipment, and they run you through scenarios to prepare you. And I'll be honest, I'm very clastrophobic. So even putting on that suit, I was I could not think clearly. I couldn't even run through the practice. So I just kept thinking, how do these doctors and how do these we have water sanitation and hygiene teams that help clean and prepare the rooms for the patients. How do you do an act? How do you work, you know, under these difficult situations? And that's again why we train and prepare so that when you're faced with the difficult, you know, situation. But I talked with many of our team members who are preparing to go, and you know, many of them are dads, moms, you know, sisters, daughters. I mean, they have family, they have people to take care of, they have a job, they have people that rely on them, and yet they're saying, yes, Lord send me. And one doctor in particular, she's been on many of our responses and she just said she has gifts. The Lord has given her gifts and abilities, you know, why would she not use them? And I thought of that parable of the man with the you know that was given the talents, you know, and there was the one that buried it, you know, buried the talent, and you know, and at the end, you know, he said, you've what you wicked and you know, Servant, you you wasted what I gave you. And she just said, why would I not give what the Lord gave to me? And so again used to ask about power of prayer. Prayer becomes so important, just like in that situation. I mean, all of our doctors that are treating around the world, I mean, you're always coming across sickness and things, but for some reason, you know, ebola, something like that, you take it more serious, right, and so you put on your protective equipment. I mean, you have a partner that checks you to make sure you've sealed everything up properly and you're you're adequately prepared to face such a deadly disease. And it made me think of Ephesian six, and it made me think of the enemy that we have. And I talked about that earlier. But we sometimes as Christians, we don't take it serious, right, We don't take the reality seriously until we're faced with something really hard. And our doctors, you know, they just said, prayer it becomes a lifeline, you know, when you're in these situations. And so the one doctor said, you know, Psalm twenty three becomes you know, something that they read and recite often. You know, the Lord is my shepherd. Though I walk through the valley in the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. You're rod in your staff. They comfort me. And so God's equipment, his you know, his power becomes so important in our life. And then she also said one Psalm one thirty nine to five, you hem me in behind him before me, you know, you go, the Lord goes before me. And she just said, I I've learned obedience and saying yes to the Lord is far more important than my preferences and my desires, are my wants and my safety even, you know. And again God's word comes alive when we step out in faith. We think of Paul who said, to live is Christ, to die is gain.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 3: Again, our teams I just see so much. Not that they're more spiritual or more a better Christian, but I think when we say yes to the Lord to whatever He's called us to do, so this can encourage anybody God's calling you to do something. You know, ask a stranger, how they're doing, or how you can pray for them, or you know, whatever it is. We might think it's small. That's a step of obedience. And when you say yes to the small things, I think he equips you for the big things. And so that's what I see, you know, time and time again with our team members. They're not better, you know, stronger again the scripture I read earlier, their adequacy comes from the Lord and their competence, and so they're not different than us. They're just they've learned to rely on the Lord in a way that many of us don't have the opportunity. So I was a Rambley, long, long answer, but I am just overwhelmed by our teams that are saying yes to serve in such a dangerous place right now. And it is a horrible disease. And I think when people get ebola, you have to be separated from people, you know, And so our hospitals we want that touch, we want that you know, and so are they put on the protective equipment and they care compassionately.
Speaker 1: For their patients.
Speaker 3: And I think that is again models what Jesus did you know, He came to people and he touched them and he wanted them to know that they were loved. And that's what we do. We share the gospel of Jesus Christ and we love them with compassion. And so I'm overwhelmed by our teams that are serving in really hard places right now, and it's an honor and joy to get to talk to them before they go or during while they're there.
Speaker 2: And I love that you mentioned obedience because that's something that we've been hitting quite a bit on the podcast, because we just went through the Book of James, and you know, faith and obedience they really do go hand in hand in a lot of ways, and so I love that you mentioned that. But to close out this interview, you mentioned that your podcast on the Ground with Samaritan's Purse is very rooted in scripture, right so I've heard you share what God has been teaching you personally, So I'd love to ask what is God teaching you right now?
Speaker 1: So many things I think.
Speaker 3: You know that verse I just read about adequacy and competency. That's what I keep coming back to because I think I'm a mom of for kids. Our oldest just went to college, and I keep coming back to Jesus the way that he rested and he took time, you know, to rest and to reset, and that's something I'm learning. And when I do that, I find that's where the surrender comes and the obedience.
Speaker 1: And when you.
Speaker 3: Say obedience, I guess I'll just say that we sometimes just get going and doing and serving. And you know, again, I'm a mama for I just get my day starts filling and when I'm running on autopilot and I'm not stopping and resting. And that's why I love your podcast. We have to reach That's word every day, you know, we have to. It is alive and active, and when we read it, it changes us, it convicts us, it opens our eyes. And so I think I'm just learning that I have to take that rest. It's not a it's not an option. I can't do what I do and do it well without resting and relying on the Lord. And so I'm just learning that the more I take on his yoke, you know, it's I think that verse in Matthew, the myyoak is easy, my burden is light, you know. I think that is what he's teaching me, is to try to do less, you know, try to off ramp some of my things. And allow the Lord to work through me and it is so much better. So it's a long, long answer, but I think it's just something that i'm The longer I walk with the Lord, the more I realize I can't do everything and my capacity isn't always high. I need the Lord. So that's what I'm learning right now is just dependence. And that's why I love your podcast, and I love the reminder to study God's word and.
Speaker 1: Be reminded that we h thank you do it all.
Speaker 2: Yes, thank you for that. I'm going to leave my audience with just a psalm, just a short bit of it, and it just kind of reminds me of a little bit of what you talked about today. And this is Psalm ninety one, one of my favorite psalms, which says verses one and two, whoever dwells in the shelter of the most High will rest in the shadow of the Almighty. I will say of the Lord, he is my refuge and my fortress, my God in whom I trust. And the reason I love this psalm so much is because it talks about all of the some of the stuff that you were talking about, you know, the darkness that we experience in our lives. But God helps us through these things when we trust in Him and we make him our fortress. And so is there any closing things that you would like to say, Christy to end out this interview.
Speaker 1: No, I love that passage. When my husband's the military.
Speaker 3: That's actually the Psalm ninety one was my lifeline, you know, when I physically was so worried about him.
Speaker 1: I would just say, he you are, he is in the shadow.
Speaker 3: Of your wings, and that just gives me such So No, I am really grateful for this conversation. I'm grateful for this opportunity, and I guess I would just say to people that, yeah, study God's word and ask God each day, you know, how can I serve you? How can I pour this out? I love that you encourage people to read God's word, but it's we read it to give it away, right, and we want to share it with others, And you have no idea even just sharing like that scripture with somebody. It is a balm and you know it encourages so we have such a gift that we can give to others.
Speaker 1: So that's what I would say.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, thank you Christy so much for coming on this special episode, and I just appreciate you and I want all of the faithful listeners listening to check out on the ground with Samaritans perse and maybe get involved with some of the things that they do, because I know that you have a lot of volunteer opportunities.
Speaker 1: Is that correct? We do.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we could not do what we do without our volunteers around the world, So yeah, you can. Samaritanspurse dot Org is a great place to start to find out how and where you can get involved. There's probably something going on within you know, all over the country for you to help.
Speaker 1: Get involved with.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I know that the Operation Christmas Child shoeboxes are coming up as well, which is a wonderful thing that my husband and I do every single year.
Speaker 1: It's like our date night, oh neat. Yeah, we go and buy.
Speaker 2: The stuff for the shoeboxes and so yeah, that's that's always a really special time. So thank you Christy so much for coming on this podcast.
Speaker 3: I really appreciate you, jan thanks for having me, Thanks for all that you do.
Speaker 2: Absolutely and thank you to Christy. I appreciate it a lot. Faith listeners. I hope you enjoyed this special Saturday episode, but until Monday, hope you all have a fantastic, wonderful weekend. I will see you guys then at the normal scheduled episode six am or whenever you choose to wake up and listen to continue discussing the Book of Esther, Happy listening, Happy weekend, and God bless. I just want to take a second to thank the team at Life Audio for their partnership with me on the Bible Explain podcast. In fact, if you go to lifeudio dot com you'll find dozens of other faith centered podcasts in their network. They've got shows about prayer, Bible study, parenting, and more.