Speaker 1: Life Audio.
Speaker 2: Hi there, it's Danache and welcome to the Rebuilding US Marriage Podcast. One of the things that has helped us is to pause and let time kind of help out. Now, time does not solve anything. Time does not heal all wounds. If you just sit there and don't handle a situation, twenty four hours will turn into forty eight hours, will turn into seventy two hours, will turn into a lifetime of you just icing each other out. So what I am not saying is just don't talk to each other for twenty four hours. What I'm saying is, in that twenty four hours, take some time to assess what is going on with me. There are a lot of really great things that happen in the twenty four hours that really kind of marked the way that we handle conflict from that day forward. Hey, hey, friends, it's staying to sche and you're listening to the Rebuilding US Marriage Podcast. I am so grateful to be here with you guys today. I have some tattle telling on myself that I need to do in this episode, and I think that as I share my weaknesses with you, you are going to realize that you're not alone, that you are not the only person who does not always handle conflict. Well, you are not the only person who regrets sometimes the things that you said, or maybe even the things that you did not say. And so today we are having a conversation about how to respond when you are angry, how to respond in conflicts. Specifically, we talk a lot about conflict on this podcast because hello, you're married, and if you're married, you know that conflict signs up with you at the altar. Now you don't know that you guys love each other. You're staring in each other's eyes. You're thinking, this is the best person that God ever created, and I'm so excited to marry them, and then you realize in about fifteen minutes you're gonna have a conflict. Okay, probably because they smashed the wedding cake in your face and you spent two hundred dollars on your makeup, and why in the world did they think that that was a good idea. I'm not sure what your conflict is going to be, but just understand that all marriages have conflicts. So depending on when you're listening to this episode, our family just returned from an incredible vacation. We went to Tokyo for a couple of weeks actually, and then we went to Guam. So if y'all know my daughter, Kayla, she is a officer in the Air Force. She's stationed in Guam right now. And so we spent the first part of that vacation in Tokyo, like I just said, and then we went to Guam to kind of check out her place. And let me tell y'all something, Okay, We've been taking family vacations for many years. It's a value of mine. I love to travel, I love vacationing. It's something that I have wanted my children also to value, and so we take them on these amazing trips. I know, because we're fabulous parents, they're going to realize it one day. But anyway, y'all, we're in Tokyo and me and Sean are having a silent treatments situation. Okay, Like it's to the point where we've learned how to be cordial. Like Sean and I are not shouters, we're not yellers. We don't argue back and forth, right, but we will ic each other out. It's really not good. It's really not good. So here we are on this fabulous vacation. I talk about this. And if you guys are on my email list, you've already heard this story. And side note, if you're not on my email list, why not if you listen to this podcast every week or maybe you're a new listener, you can get weekly updates from me. I don't spam you, I don't send you a whole bit of you know, non non necessary as that a word, unnecessary information. But you can get on my email list by simply going to Danashay dot com forward slash email, and that's where I really connect with you the most. We have a fabulous time over on the email list. Lots of you all respond back in your emails, and that's kind of how the best way really that we can stay connected. So anyway, if you're on an email list, you've already.
Speaker 1: Heard this story.
Speaker 2: So here we are on vacation and we're having this massive disagreement. I don't even know what we were arguing about. I don't even know like what the disagreement was about. And that's the crazy thing about conflict, right, Like how many times have you been in conflict with your spouse and you don't even know why?
Speaker 1: You're like, I don't even know who did what?
Speaker 2: Who said what? I just know that we're upset with each other. We're not talking, So here we are and we're having this silent treatment. And so because I air all of my dirty laundry, so the devil has nothing on me. I decided that I was going to tell my kids, Hey, you guys may have noticed that Dad and I aren't really talking. And they were like, yep, we noticed. You know how older kids, and even if you have little kids, listen, don't think that your children do not know when you and your spouse are not getting along.
Speaker 1: They know.
Speaker 2: And so I just felt like, let's just get it out there in the open. And thankfully, before the vacation was over, Sean and I have reconciled. But it started me thinking about how many people go through conflicts and they become angry. Now you know that anger takes on many different forms. Some people are seethers, right like, they just seethe inside. They implode, is what happens. Because they don't talk, They just kind of hold all of that conflict in. They become very bitter, they become resentful. I think that's actually more dangerous than the people who explode, the people who shout or yell or you know, act a fool. And the reason that I think that imploding can be more damaging and more dangerous than exploding is because at least when you explode, you get it out. Now, I'm not encouraging you to explode on your spouse. I'm not saying that that's the right way to handle it. We've got to learn how to address our anger and specifically when it comes to our spouses in ways that are healthy. So this podcast episode is going to be really biblical. So if you are not a believer, if you do not believe in the Word of God, then I'm still going to encourage you to stay because I think that you're going to hear something that's going to hopefully help you to understand how you can use the Word of God to help you in your conflicts. If you are a believer, you may have already heard the scripture and maybe you've even heard someone preach on it or teach on it. Maybe you yourself have even quoted the scripture, and you're not necessarily living the scripture. So we're going to talk from the Book of Ephesians, and a lot of times, y'all, when we quote scriptures like I'm not going to accuse y'all of doing this, but some people that I known, when they quote scriptures, they quote it like wildly out of context, or they cherry pick. They'll pick a scripture that it just says what they want to say, and then they'll make a whole theology, a whole doctrine, a whole argument based on that one scripture. We're not doing that, Okay, We're going to take the scripture in its context. So I'm going to be reading out of the Book of Ephesians, which is in the New Testament, chapter four, and I'm going to start. I'm not going to read like the verse that everybody knows, which is in your anger, do not sin, don't let the sun go down on your anger. Maybe you've heard that quoted, maybe you've said that. I'm going to read a few verses before that. But before I read the scripture, I gotta tell you this little corny joke. So I came across this joke a few years ago, and it said the Bible says, don't let the sign go down on your anger.
Speaker 1: So my husband and I had been up for two.
Speaker 2: Weeks, ah wish, I had a like a you know, a comedian drum roll there, But isn't that the truth?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 2: Like we've heard like don't let the sun go down on your anger? So what are we supposed to do? Like, does that mean that you're supposed to settle every argument within twenty four hours?
Speaker 1: Is that even possible? Well, today I'm.
Speaker 2: Going to be sharing with you why I believe that pausing for twenty four hours can actually be very advantageous for your marriage. All right, let's get into the scripture and then I'll explain to you a little bit what I'm mean. Okay, I'm gonna start reading Ephesians four.
Speaker 1: Let's go.
Speaker 2: Let's start at verse twenty two. Throw off your old sinful nature and your former way of life.
Speaker 1: What does that mean?
Speaker 2: That means that before you became a Christian, there was some stuff you used to do. There was there was a way that you used to live, maybe a way that you used to speak. Paul, who was the writer of Ephesians the Apostle. Paul is saying, when you become a believer, you gotta throw that stuff away, Like you can't just keep acting the same way once you receive Christ. Okay, so he says instead verse twenty three. Instead of acting how you used to that basically verse twenty three. Instead, let the spirit renew your thoughts and your attitudes. Put on your new nature, created to be like God. Do you know that as a Christian you are supposed to be like God? You are supposed to reflect His image. That means the way you act should be very similar to the way that He acts. The way that you talk should be very similar to the way that He talks. So create it to be like God, truly, righteous and holy, verse twenty five. So stop telling lies. Let us tell our neighbors the truth. Who's your closest neighbor your spouse? True right, if you're married, your closest neighbor is not the person who lives next door to you. Your closest neighbor is the person that you lay in bed with your spouse. So don't think that this is just like a kumbayah, a nice Christian advice for the world. No, this is you and your household. Okay, stop telling lies. Let us tell our neighbors the truth. Now you might be thinking, well, I don't lie to my spouse. Really, if your spouse says what's wrong and you're like nothing and you know that you're seething inside. That would be a lie, all right. So Paul goes on to say, why for we are all parts of the same body here we are verse twenty six, And don't send by letting anger control you. Don't let the sun go down while you are still angry. For anger gives a foothold to the devil.
Speaker 1: So all of.
Speaker 2: These conjunctions are important. A lot of times read the word and we stop before the hands. My best friend and I we always talk about this where like you know, a lot of people they read the Bible, they quote the scripture and they stop before the andend. Well, we're not gonna stop before the end or in this case, before the four fo R. So Paul is saying, don't let the sun go down while you're still angry. Why for anger gives a foothold to the devil. What is a foothole? That means that it gives the enemy the devil, which we believe is real. Maybe you don't believe in satan, you don't believe in the demonic, you don't believe in spiritual warfare. You're mistaken, friend, There is a such thing as spiritual warfare. There is a such thing as the enemy, and he is all up in your house and he is trying to cause division everywhere he goes. When you allow anger to resonate in your life, in your marriage, you give the enemy, the devil a way in a foothold. I want you think about like if someone's holding a door open and they're trying to close the door, and you put your foot in it to keep the door from closing. Well, that person now has access into your home. That's what happens when we allow anger to control us, and when we allow our marriages to continue in these cycles of anger. Now, when the Bible says don't let the sun go down while you are still angry, does that literally mean that you have to solve every single argument before you go to bed. I don't believe so. And I'm going to tell you why after the break. And I'm also going to tell you why. I believe that some sometimes waiting, pausing for twenty four hours is one of the best things that you can do for conflict in your marriage. So we have to take a quick break for a word from our sponsor. Don't go anywhere, We'll be right back. One of the hardest things about Resolving conflict is knowing where to start. This is why a lot of people tend to avoid conflict. But that's not you, because today I am giving you access to my heart to heart conversation starters when facing conflict. These three simple prompts are going to help you to be able to start conversations more confidently with clarity.
Speaker 1: In order to find common ground.
Speaker 2: Grab your copy today at Danashay dot com Forward Slash Conversation Starters. That's d A. N Ache dot com Forward Slash Conversation Starters. Now back to our show. All right, from we are back, So let's talk a little bit about what this verse means. I just read to you Ephesians, Chapter four, verse twenty six, and don't let and don't sin by letting anger control you. Don't let the sign go down while you are still angry, for anger gives a foothold to the devil. Now, notice it does not say do not let the sun go down while you still have a conflict. There's a difference between having a conflict or a disagreement or a misunderstanding and then being controlled by anger. You may have heard me say this on the podcast before. I've said it lots of times, anger is always a secondary emotion, meaning when you get angry, that's not the real emotion or the deeper emotion that you're feeling. Anger is absolutely real, but what is anger protecting? What is anger covering? What was the first thing that you felt? This is where the real solutions and healing come into play. So when I am mad at Sean, which doesn't happen often because Sean's really easy going. I mean, he really is very easy going. He does not get angry a lot, like at all. As a matter of fact, if he gets angry, something big has happened. So when I get angry at him, I've trained myself to ask myself, Dana, what is really going on with you?
Speaker 1: Why are you angry? And you know what?
Speaker 2: For me, it's usually I feel rejected, I feel disrespected, I feel ignored, I feel unheard, I feel taken advantage of right Like, those emotions are what I need to be paying attention to. The anger is just to cover because of my pride or because I don't want to look weak, Like that's just just being real. Maybe your anger operates differently, but for most people, we get angry because we don't want to look weak it's socially acceptable to be angry, especially if you're a man. If you're a man, it is socially acceptable for you to get angry, not always socially acceptable for you to cry, or for you to feel embarrassed or shamed or weak. So what happens is instead of us just being real with ourselves or our spouses and saying, you know, I was really hurt when you said that to me, I just lash out in anger because it's easier. So this is what I've trained myself to do. When I'm upset, I'm like, okay, I'm like asking myself all these questions. I'm basically essentially I'm coaching myself. I'm asking myself all these questions to try to figure out what is really going on with me. So when we're on this vacation, I ask myself one night because I couldn't sleep, because I can never sleep when me and Sean are at odds, and he can't.
Speaker 1: Sleep either, so we're both just up right.
Speaker 2: Instead of just talking about the situation, we're both just up and you know how, you know that your spouse is awake and they're trying to lay real still, so you think they're sleep, but you know they're awake because they haven't started that like deep breathing yet.
Speaker 1: So here we are laying in the bed and I'm thinking, why am I even upset? Like what is going on?
Speaker 2: And as I'm starting to think about why I was upset, I realized I felt unseen. Well that is a trigger point for me. And I'm not going to spend time going all into deep into my childhood and telling you you know why I feel so triggered by this, But I was triggered. I felt unseen on that trip. I felt like all of my efforts were like worthless frags and these people, these ungrateful people, and my family, you know, like you know how we can go there?
Speaker 1: Right, we can go off? And so I said, all right, is that true? Because just because you feel.
Speaker 2: Like it's true doesn't necessarily make it true. I might feel rejected. I said this on last week's episode. It was a sweet repeat, But I believe I said this last week. Even though I might feel rejected does not necessarily mean that I am being rejected. So when we we are emotionally mature enough to be real with ourselves, we can ask ourselves stuff like this, all right, Danny, you feel unseen?
Speaker 1: But is that the truth?
Speaker 2: Is Sean's goal in life to make you feel unseen? Is that what you feel like he's trying to do here? And then when I started thinking about this logically, I'm like, you know what, probably not, So what else is going on here? Maybe I should ask the man, like, maybe I should actually ask him? And like I said, y'all, I don't even remember what happened to make me feel this way, but maybe I should ask what's going on with you? Do you feel is there something going on with you and me? Like? Are you upsetting me about something? There's lots of questions that I could have asked him, but I didn't. I sat there and I stewed, and I was silent. Now, in my case, I wouldn't necessarily call it anger and this particular example. There have been other examples where I have absolutely been angry. But one of the things that Sean and I have done in our marriage, and this was his idea. This was certainly not a Daniche idea. One of the things that Sean asked me years ago we were having And again, if you guys have listened to the podcast for a long time, some of you og listeners. I told this story back in I think episode one hundred and seventeen or something when I was talking about communication and conflict, which I talk about a lot. But one time there was something that Sean and I were at odds again or odds about, and he asked me, He said, I want to have them I want to have this conversation with you, but I want you to wait twenty four hours before you respond. And I was like, twenty four hours, Like that is a long time to not respond to something. And my initial inclination was no, I'm not gonna wait that long. Let's just go ahead and deal with this conflict. Because I don't like unresolved conflict. I hate it.
Speaker 1: I liked it.
Speaker 2: If there's conflict, I liked you just go ahead and deal with it. Let's just get it over with, let's just handle it. But in this case, he asked me to wait twenty four hours. He never asked me that before, and I was like, all right, all right, fine, let's do it. So you know what happened in twenty four hours.
Speaker 1: A lot.
Speaker 2: I was able to think logically. I was able to calm myself down from whatever it is, whatever it was I was upset about. I was able to look at his perspective. I was able to come up with a different response than I would have had in the moment. There are a lot of really great things that happen in the twenty four hours that really kind of marked the way that we handle conflict from that day forward. Now, we don't always give each other twenty four hours. There are times when we just need to deal with this thing, like, let's just talk about it, let's just solve it if.
Speaker 1: We can, let's move on. But many times we will.
Speaker 2: Say, you know what, let's just pause here, let's take a break, because a lot of times, especially if you're arguing. Now again, Sean and I are not arguers. We're not going to go back and forth and yell. That's just not us, probably because I grew up that way. I don't have time for that, okay, And that's just not even Sean's disposition. He's just not gonna sit there and argue with you. But one of the things that has helped us is to pause and let time kind of help out. Now, time does not solve anything. Time does not heal all wounds. If you just sit there and don't handle a situation, twenty four hours will turn into forty eight hours, will turn into seventy two hours, will turn into a lifetime of you just icing each other out. So what I am not saying is just don't talk to each other for twenty four hours. What I'm saying is, in that twenty four hours, take some time to assess what is going on with me? Could I be seeing this from the wrong perspective. Do I need to ask my spouse some follow up questions? Do I need to ask myself some follow up questions? Why did this thing bother me so bad? What about the situation is really triggering me? And sometimes it's gonna take a lot of time for you to be able to go through all of those questions in order for you to be honest with yourself. So what we have learned is that when we take the time to do this, when we come back to the conversation, which you need to give yourself a time stamp. Like literally, if it's six o'clock and you all are having a conflict and you tell each other, okay, let's wait twenty four hours. Make sure that you say tomorrow after dinner, or tomorrow before dinner, or tomorrow at two o'clock or whenever it is, give yourself a time stamp so that you can come back to the conversation, because if you don't, what's going to happen, Well, it's just easier just to not deal with it.
Speaker 1: So we're just gonna put it off again.
Speaker 2: And then you think that we'll just get over it, but really you've gotten over nothing. You've just decided to ignore the problem. And ignoring an issue never makes it go away. That's how resentment builds up, because then what's gonna happen. You're gonna have another conflict inevitably, and then now that conflict is going to get piled onto the conflict that you had unresolved, and then you're gonna have another conflict.
Speaker 1: And do you see how the cycle is?
Speaker 2: And so this is where we get couples fifteen twenty years in and they divorce because they're like, we just grew apart. It wasn't that you just grew apart, it was that you intentionally disconnected and stayed disconnected. That's a whole nother conversation for another day. Going back to the Ephesians for passage, when we learn how to tell the truth to our neighbor and to ourselves, when we're able to say, hey, is there something wrong with you? Yeah, yeah, there is actually something wrong with me. Maybe you don't even have the words for it. Because I find that a lot of times, like when we don't know how to explain how we feel, we'll say things like I'm fine, or it's nothing, or don't worry about it. Let me tell you something. If your spouse says don't worry about it, you should.
Speaker 1: Be very worried. You should be very concerned.
Speaker 2: So instead of us saying things like that, what if we said, you know something is wrong with me, and I don't even know what you know? There is something wrong with me, and I don't even know why.
Speaker 1: I'm upset.
Speaker 2: Yes, what you're feeling is disconnection. You're not wrong about that, and I'm not really sure why. Like, what if we actually started telling each other the truth? What if we were mature enough to say how we really feel? Yes, I felt really hurt by that statement that you made. Now did you hear what I just said? There?
Speaker 1: Slipped it in real, real sly, but did you hear what I said? I felt?
Speaker 2: I talk about I statements all the time. I didn't say you you were rude.
Speaker 1: You were.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm mad because you were rude to me. No, that's a you statement. That's not helpful because that's gonna put your spouse on the defense. But if you're able to say something like, you know what, I felt hurt by what you said. I felt overlooked when you just made that decision and didn't even.
Speaker 1: Include me on it.
Speaker 2: What if we were able to say things like that, that's tew your neighbor the truth. And then when you have conflict, the anger now goes away, not that the conflict goes away. Please hear me on that. The conflict might not go away before the sun goes down. And that is okay. But at least the anger part. You're not seething. You're not laying in bed thinking about violent things that you can do to your spouse. Not that I've ever done that, but you're not over there like seething and mad and allowing. Right, because y'all know, if you've ever gotten to that point where you're just so mad, you know your brain, your mind has a whole world of its own, and you start going into like crazy town. We want to avoid that place. So there is a way to handle conflict and get the anger out of there, but still have to work on the solution. That's okay, And I really believe that if you give yourself some space, if you pause a little bit, on next week's episode, you're gonna hear from David Hashtrap. He actually has this whole acronym called calm CLM that helps you to talk yourself off the ledge when you're in conflicts. So be sure to come back next week for that episode. But when you're able to ask yourself some of these really important questions on the front end, what's going on with me? What am I really feeling right now? Those are just ask yourself those two questions to start, what's really going on with me? What do I really feel right now?
Speaker 1: Chances are they.
Speaker 2: Have nothing to do with your spouse. This is what I have experienced, and not only in my personal life, but couples that I've coached. It's usually not what you think you're upset about. Somebody else said something to you, or maybe again you were triggered by something in your childhood, or maybe you're just off that day a motionally. Sometimes y'all, we just have bad days. Some days you're just not yourself, and that's okay. That's why giving your spouse grace is so important. That was one of the conversations that Shawna and I had after this trip. I said, you know, we have got to learn how to give each other a little bit more grace. Shawn and I don't have a lot of conflicts, thank god, so when we do sometimes it's like we will make assumptions. And whenever you assume you're getting yourself into dangerous waters, don't assume, just ask, just ask, Hey, are you upset about something? Did I do something to offend you? Take the twenty four hours, let your spouse know we're going to come back to this conversation in twenty four hours, and then in that twenty four hours, do some work.
Speaker 1: Both of you.
Speaker 2: Ask yourselves those questions. You might not be talking to each other necessarily about that. Hopefully you're still talking. You mean, if you have children in like a house, you gotta have to like talk about things, but you might not necessarily need to talk about that for twenty four hours. After the twenty four hours, now you've had some time to kind of calm down, You've had some time to reassess the situation. Ask yourself those questions. Now you can come back to the conflict and hopefully come up with a better solution.
Speaker 1: So that's it.
Speaker 2: Super simple, not always easy, but I think the thing that I really want to encourage you all to do, and I'm encouraging myself to do this as well, is to just be really emotionally honest with yourself. Don't lie to yourself. Know your weaknesses. So tell me, kids, it's all the time. You got to know your weaknesses, man, know the areas where you struggle, know your tender spots. Be gentle with yourself. Understand yourself though, and be honest with your spouse when they ask you what's wrong. And if you don't know what's wrong, say something is wrong, but I'm just not sure what all right? So I want to hear from you guys. Let me know how the twenty four hour rule works for you. If you and your spouse do this, let me know. I'd love to hear from you. Can always email me at Danashay dot com forward slash contact. I would love to hear your thoughts. I would love to hear how this works for you. How do you handle anger? How do you handle conflict? Maybe you take forty eight hours. I don't know if there's a solution that you have. Of course, again, you can always send that information to me at danashay dot com Ford Slash Contact. And for those of you who need a little bit more help, I have an incredible course. I've talked about this course before on the podcast. It's called From Conflict to Connection. I would love to walk with you and walk you through some very practical steps of how to go from conflict in your relationship to genuine connection. You can find more about that course at danashay dot com Forward Slash Connection Course. Thanks so much for being with us on today's podcast. I hope to see you next week again. Show notes for the podcast are always over at danashay dot com Ford Slash Podcast.
Speaker 1: See you next time. Take care,