Speaker 1: Life audio on today's episode of Timeless Wisdom.
Speaker 2: The good urge cold a Hebrew Yates. The hutsov tove means good yeats, there is will, and the Yates are Hurrah. Hurrah means bad. So the bad Yates their and the good Yates their are in conflict right right, and we all have it every day it happens. In fact, this so shaped my life as a child when I learned it. I still think of it every day, all the time. This is what my good urge is saying, my good yeats, sir, This is what my bad yates are saying. It could It doesn't even apply just to It always applies to ethical issues, but it could apply to do I have that cheesecake? My bed yates? Their says, come on, what the hell do you live? Once it's delicious? You're a nut? How are you going to forego that cheesecake? The other one says, well, you're what, Dennis, Come on, Dennis, you know what you know, you know what the enough cheese cake's gonna.
Speaker 3: Do to you.
Speaker 1: That's coming off on Timeless Wisdom with Dennis Prager. Welcome to Timeless Wisdom with Dennis Prager. Here thousands of hours of Dennis's lectures courses in classic radio programs had to purchase Dennis Prager's Rational Bibles. Go to Dennis Prager dot com.
Speaker 2: Or not to be That is the question. Where was God?
Speaker 3: Isn't God supposed to be good love us?
Speaker 1: Does God want.
Speaker 4: Us to supper?
Speaker 2: Ten years?
Speaker 3: You're not Dennis yet?
Speaker 5: Why did you do it? Come here?
Speaker 2: Who are you?
Speaker 1: Ruce?
Speaker 2: I'm God? Bingo yazi?
Speaker 4: Is that your final answer?
Speaker 5: Our service has God.
Speaker 2: Bing ding ding ding ding ding ding.
Speaker 3: Well, it was nice to meet you God, Thank you for the Grand Canyon and good luck with the apocalypse.
Speaker 2: Hi, everybody, welcome to the Ultimate Issues Hour. I'm Dennis Praeger And every week at this time, the third hour of my three hour show and on Tuesdays is devoted to some great issue of life, and frankly, it's meant to deeply affect you. It's an issue that deeply affected me, and I'd like to affect you, touch you, influence you with some insight into some great issue of life. This one I completely owe to a man who has long since left this realm of reality. He died, oh boy, I'd say twenty five years ago. He was a distinguished rabbi in the United States name was Wolf Kellman, father of a good friend of mine, and he was a major rabbinic figure in the United States. I went to him in my late twenties for some advice, professional advice, as it turned out, I guess, partially personal, but it's hard to distinguish between the two sometimes anyway. I don't even remember why I went to him, but in other words, what the issue was. But I remember what he said, and I remember one thing that he said. It has stayed with me, and I have recounted it endless times in speeches and in personal conversation, said Dennis. And in order for me to explain this, you have to understand a basic Jewish concept. It's a very simple one, so you don't have to have any theological or Jewish background. But it's this Judaism holds that the human being is born with, as it were, two wills, two urges if you will, a good one and a bad one. The good one tells you, uh, I don't know, to give their right to give extra change back. If you've gotten too much change you got you got the wrong check you you return it the the batter, it says eh who's going to miss the money? You know, you're lucky. You you got it. Seemi film, by the way, one of the videos that I made. In fact, that's how Alan and I met h called For Goodness Sake and Alan, wherever I go in the country, somebody tells me they've used it in schools or whatever. And Uh, anyway, Uh, you should you should see For Goodness Sake, the best film on goodness I've ever seen. Uh, and uh. In it, there was a great scene with Jason Alexander where he is getting uh, you know, some electronic device at a store and the guy gives him guy is the clerk, is is harried, and he gives Jason Alexander the top model when he didn't pay for the top model. He paid for the middle of my And there were two voices in Jason Alexander, one saying, come on, man, you didn't pay for that. You just you have to return it for the one you paid for, and the other voice saying, what don't you an idiot? Who's gonna know the difference? And anyway, they made the mistake. You didn't, you didn't steal it. That's a perfect example of the good urge called a Hebrew, yeatesh huts ov tove means good yeats. There is will and the yeats are hurrah. Hurrah means bad. So the bad yatesah and the good yeats their are in conflict right right, and we all have it every day it happens. In fact, this so shaped my life as a child when I learned it. I still think of it every day all the time. This is what my good urge is saying, my good yeats, sir, This is what my bad yates are saying. It could it doesn't even apply just to it always applies to ethical issues, but it could apply to do I have that cheesecake? My my bed yates? Their says, come on, what the hell you live? Once? It's delicious? You're a nut? How are you going to forego that cheesecake? The other one says, you're what, Dennis? Come on, Dennis, you know what you know? You know what the enough cheesecake is going to do to you? Right? I mean that it's it's we have it. I think it's a terrific way to raise a kid. By the way, tell them that they have these two voices in them at all times, and they are at all times over every issue, absolutely every issue personal and ethical and uh and moral, you name it. It's these are two competing things, all right, That, by the way, is worthy of another ultimate issues hour how important it is to go through life because if you can distinguish the two voices, you know, you won't always listen to the right one, but you will you will be cognizant of that battle in yourself. And it's a very good thing to raise a child with. What does your bead, your bad side say, what does your good side say? Okay? Fine? Having said all that, on behalf of understanding existence through the prism of the good yates air and the bad yates there. This is what this Rabbi Kellman said to me when I was twenty seven years old. So, Dennis, let me tell you something. By and large, I have my bad yates their under control. And most good men, most mature men or women do, by and large, we do have our bad yates are under control. And you know, whether it's sexual matters, or it's financial matters, or what have you. I believed him. He you know, he was a good man. Everyone who knew him felt that. So here's what he said, my friends, And this is the lesson for today, which is overwhelming in its significance both macro and micro. Said Dennis, by and large, I have my bad Yates air under control. It's my good Yates hair that always gets me in trouble. That is the subject for today's Ultimate Issues Hour. That it's your desire to do good and our collective desire to do good that gets us often into more trouble and does more harm than our bad desires. And that was a statement of great wisdom. The fact that your good nature or the good side of your nature wants to do something doesn't make it right. The fact that it comes from the good urge and not the bad urge doesn't mean it's good. This is where life's problems start. They're not because we listened to the bad urge. That happens. Of course, that happens. There is evil that has done, bad things that people do that emanate from their bad desires. But more likely and certainly on a macro level, it's the stuff that comes stuff that comes from the good desires cause more harm and more devastation and more evil even than the stuff that comes from the bad desires. The number of people slaughtered, tortured, and enslaved in the twentieth century on the basis of values or systems that appealed to the good side. To the good yeatsir is far greater than that which appealed to the bad yatesir. More people have been murdered by people thinking they were doing something good than by people who were just sadistic and cruel. You hear me. More damage has been done by idealists than by selfish bad types. There were a lot of idealistic communists. There were a lot of idealistic Nazis, people who thought they were doing good for the fatherland or the motherland, or the or equality or the working class. The fact that's something, the fact that something emanates from the good part of you, the sincere idealistic good part, doesn't mean manure from cheyenne. It means nothing in terms of whether it really will do good. Nothing. I'm told all the time, for example, that my generation, the baby boomers, you know, they were very idealistic. As if that means anything, so what so what? I will give you example after example, both in the way we raise children, in the way we act in our daily lives, and in the way we construct social policy, all of which come from the good yates air, which are bad news do bad. This is life changing stuff. One aide Praeger seven seven six The Ultimate Shoes Hour on the Dennis Prager Show.
Speaker 1: This episode of Timeless Wisdom will continue right after this. Now back to more of Dennis Prager's Timeless Wisdom.
Speaker 2: Dennis Prager here the Ultimate Issues Hour. Every week at this time I devote an hour to some great subject. If you actually take the conclusions that I will draw seriously from this, it will it will be life changing, unless you've already come to these conclusions, in which case it's just reinforcing. But most of us had to learn this. I did. I had to learn this. I was lucky that I learned it early. And it was this comment made to me, and I explained the context that most of the trouble in this world doesn't come from the will to do bad, but from the will to do good. Good intentions don't mean anything. This. We live in the age of reliance on the heart, and that is part of the reason that we that I am not optimistic for the world, because heart based stuff is a is a problem. Now why is it? Now? Let me let me talk to you about what the conclusions need to be I'll give you examples. This is so important. I would say that most of you get in more trouble from not all of you, most of you from your will to do good than your will to do bad. An example there are. It's both micro and mackerel. Start with the micro the personal parents who give their kids a lot, who make no demands on their kids, who say yes far more often than they say no. It's often out of love, it's often out of feeling I want my kids to have what I didn't. That's part of the reason the Baby boomers grew up so spoiled, because the parents who lived through World War Two, their motto was I want to give my kids everything I didn't have. They grew up in the depression, they grew up in World War Two, so they were they were preoccupied with giving their children an effortless childhood, and they often spoiled them. Rotten and so and so the kids grew up that is my generation a lot terribly foolish, terribly destructive in their in their values. But they're all meaning well, you know they if they'd say make love not war, they thought that they were genius. You seek the people with a bumper sticker. You know, war is not the answer. You think they mean what bad. They don't mean bad, they mean good good. You know they hate war, they hate the suffering that war entails, the staggering amount of death. Of course they mean well, but it's a it's aarticularly foolish, particularly foolish comment. Yeah, war is not the answer if the question is what is the square root of ten? But if the question is how do you get rid of a lot of evil? War is the answer. And so this is a problem that confronts people. I was just mentioning, in fact, in a different context, how important the word no is to raising children. It's more important than the word yes. But it's hard because our will to do good, it'll be loved, and to love tells us say yes, give in to your kid. If that doesn't come from the remember this division that I'm making that I got from Judaism, this division of dividing between the goodwill and the bad will. This stuff all comes from the good side, the good willed. I want to love my kid, I want my kid to feel loved, and so on. Are those people who enable a spouse, or enable a child, or enable a friend, giving money to people, to to your your adult kid who has no job and doesn't seek one. You don't do that out of the bad side of your of your of your conscience, or of your mind or your heart. You do it out of out of love and out of the good side. Therefore, since good can lead to so much, good intentions lead to so many lead to so many bad things. The number one number one, you can't rely on good intentions for good results. You can't. So just know that at the outset, the fact that you mean well doesn't ensure anything anything. It doesn't ensure what matters, which is good results. So there are two. There are two spectacularly important conclusions to draw from what I'm saying. Number One, you know something is good by its results, not by its intentions. Okay, that's number one. I much prefer here. For example, I'll give you a guy who I'll give you an example of somebody who, even from perhaps selfish motives, does a lot of good. Let us let us say that somebody wants to get the Nobel Prize in medicine, and that is the primary thing that motivates him, and he discovers the cure for pancreatic cancer. Do you give a hoot that he was motivated by selfish desire for the Nobel Prize in medicine? Right, You couldn't care less your loved one has pancreatic cancer. You bless this guy, who may be a true a hole. You don't give a hoot what you care about. What you care about is did he do good? Not did he mean good? You don't have to marry him. You just have to take his men us And for pancreatic cancer. What if somebody gives money for some for hospital wing to be known? Primary desire is to be known. That's why I've always i've always, always always had no patience for those who argue, oh, I'm against all these people naming having these things named after themselves. You know, the this wing or this this hall or this building. Oh really well, if it weren't for that person's desire to have their name on that building or that wing, you wouldn't have that building or that wing. Idiot. If if I am peeing at at the you know, the the O'Brien urinal I bless O'Brien, I just I can't. I don't understand it. It's all part of this nonsense that intentions are what we judge and results. I bless everybody who has donated a building to a hospital, a wing, a toilet. I bless them, and God blesses them. The last thing I have an intention to do, desire to do, is measure their intention that they want to be in. First of all, I don't know they want to be known. Maybe there was their way of saying to the world, look, this is what you should do with your money, build hospital wings. How do we know? How do we know what their intention? We don't know. First of all, let me tell you something about why it is so bad to measure intentions. There's no way to know them. In most cases, you don't know your own I don't know my own all the time. That's why people go to psychotherapies to figure out what's going on inside of them. We don't even know our own intentions all the time. We are going to now start measuring other people's intentions. Intentions don't matter, They do not matter. What matters is the results of what you did. That's what's what matters. There is a second conclusion from all of this, the utter irrelevance by and large of intentions, and I will tell you what that is when we come back on the Ultimate Issues Hour on the Dennis Prager Show.
Speaker 1: This episode of Timeless Wisdom will continue right after this. Now back to more of Dennis Prager's Timeless Wisdom.
Speaker 2: All right, everybody, you're listening to the Dennis Prager Show, the Ultimate Issues Hour. Good intentions generally mean nothing, and it's good results that matter, good actions that matter, not good intentions. And often selfish intentions end up or sometimes they can end up with better results, like the selfish scientists who just wants awards and ends up finding a cure for some illness. We have been led astray by idealism in our lives. Don't say no to your children because you just want them to enjoy life and to hurt them in the process. The trick in life is to know what is good rather than to intend to do what is good. And it is hard to know what is good. That takes wisdom. There is no wisdom at our universities, at our high schools. There are courses, and there is a tremendous emphasis on feelings, but there is precious little wisdom, and that's why we are in decline. Alrighty, let me now take some of your calls here. And by the way, that's why we have started Prager University, and I beg you to go there. It's free. Our motto is, you give us five minutes, we'll give you a semester. And the intent is to give out wisdom. So there were two videos out now, one on America's values and the other on happiness. We have more being made and that's our intent with Prager University. Okay, since I started with a rabbinic quote, I'll go to a rabbi calling in from San Diego. It's Ysrael. How do you do Rabbi Hi.
Speaker 6: Dennis, thank you for taking my call. I agree with most of what you said, but I'd like to give a quote from Rabbi Schneerson, the Levavice Rebi, and I'd like to say he writes the Yates a horror. The evil impulse is called an animal soul, not because it's necessarily a brute animal, maybe a fox, but it may close itself in the garb of an earnest, straightforward, humble, righteous person, possessing fine traits of character. In other words, this desire of idealism is not from the good inclination, but it's from the evil inclination.
Speaker 2: Oh very good, so well, and.
Speaker 3: There's not my words, and God bless you for quoting him, but this is the the I did make that point in a different way by saying that we don't even know our real intentions.
Speaker 2: So it's even sillier to rely on intentions because I don't know what I think is a good intention may in fact be selfish.
Speaker 6: So here the rebe says, a culte like this. Take this as a general principle, and remember it always any matter that is effective towards or actually leads to actual service, good service, and is confronted with opposition of any sort, even the most noble. That opposition is the scheming of the animal soul. There you go, and he adds off by saying, until then, I had not known that there could be a pious animal soul, let alone, even a Hasidic animal soul.
Speaker 2: Right, a pious one. Excellent, thank you. We are in complete agreement, as it happens. And that's why I said. It's another reason that intentions should not be judged. I mean, there were times you have to you know, an attempted murder or whatever I mean I'm not talking about courtrooms, but in our lives intentions. You know, as this rabbi correctly points out, the bad urge may cloak itself is a good urge. So we don't know. We don't know. That's why good is what is done. It is what is achieved, not what is intended. You mean well with your social policy X or social policy Y. I don't care if you mean well. I want to know if it will work. Will it work? That's the only moral question. Does it increase goodness welfare of the human being on earth? That is what matters. Does it sound good or what have you? San Antonio, Texas, Patrick Dennis Prager, Oh.
Speaker 7: How are you doing good?
Speaker 2: Thanks?
Speaker 7: Good? I would just like to say, well, I'm coming from the perspective of a Christian, and I would say that listening to your comment that good intentions don't amount to the will of beings they don't mean anything, would be misleading, at least coming from a Christian, because they do have incredibly significant significance, has great significance as to whether a person would be saved or not. A person could do all the good in the world and have bad intentions, could have self righteous intentions and ungodly intentions, and all the good at that person does does not amount to anything as far as that person salvation. It might amount too good for the world.
Speaker 2: Well I'm okay, but I'm only talking from a worldly point of view. I never I'm not talking theology. I'm talking practical goodness and ethics. The scientist who finds a cure for cancer, who I assume you rather go to a physician who was an atheist, but who was if you, God forbid your wife, if you're married, had cancer. I suspect you would choose the atheist who was a genius at surgery than the believer who was mediocre at surgery.
Speaker 7: Well, that is true. I would rather go to a person, yeah, who has qualified him with That's right exactly.
Speaker 2: So I'm only talking about from an earthly perspective, how God judges us as God's business. I've always said that, and I do feel that because God knows things about us. First of all, the person who claims belief that would qualify him for salvation, you have no idea. You don't have a clue whether it's a sincere statement, And in fact, from a Christian point of view, you only have a clue as to his sincerity by his works. By his works is his faith known? So even there, even just speaking salvifically, you're back to what does the person do except for God, who knows the heart. And that's God's business. We'll be back in a moment. Ultimate Issues Hour at Dennis Praeger Show.
Speaker 1: This episode of Timeless Wisdom will continue right after this. Now back to more of Dennis Prager's Timeless Wisdom.
Speaker 5: My Joseph Boys Sisco is no toys, It's ten music steeple. Won't you if you've gotten a secret? Just time poets, un man, A lucky man give me meaning?
Speaker 2: Will you are lucky man? And I'm a lucky man to be able to do this every day. I'm Dennis Prager instead of change.
Speaker 5: You are lucky man.
Speaker 2: I think well enough of this hour to have it as a as a best of if I ever missed one of these. It's very important. If you have mail you want to send me. I love to read your mail, either at Prager Radio or at Dennispraguer dot com. Uh. The uh the the reason I worry about America in fact, and worry about child wearing, worry about everything for the future is that so many people don't know what was said this hour that intentions don't matter. What matters is good action and which means good results. That's what matters. And that's why it is far more important to know what is good than it is to intend to do what is good? Okay, which brings me to Downy, California and Kathy, Hello, Kathy, Dennis Prager.
Speaker 4: Yes, or I agree one hundred percent with what you're saying. To know what's good and you have to show your actions. What I think people are missing is they're not taught to think through their intentions.
Speaker 2: That's correct.
Speaker 4: What are their actions going to be?
Speaker 2: That's it?
Speaker 4: How is it going to affect people?
Speaker 2: That's it. That's it, Kathy, exactly. That is why I am so worried about this feelings based generation that has been raised in mind and the next generation. It's all feelings. How do you feel about right and wrong? How do you feel about this or that and so all that. Like the Swedish woman I interviewed, and my interview with her is available on a download or CD from Dennispraguer dot com. And I said, you don't believe in God. You don't believe in religion, How do you know how do you derive your notions of right and wrong from my heart? And of issue? It's all heart based, It's all feelings based. I just gave a very big talk on that very subject on how I believe that overwhelmingly left wing ideas are feelings based? And is it now available? Really? Where is it to be found at Dennispraguer dot com. What's it titled? Something about feelings in the left. It's really one of the most important lectures of my life. It was a lifetime of thought. In that hour hour and a half. Feelings have been substituted. Because if you feel that you mean well, make love not war. War is not the answer, nuclear disarmament. They also they feel good, but they don't do good. Steven new Jersey, John California, Dave Kansas Winning California. Wish, I really wish I could have taken your calls. Please do send me a do send me an email and visit Prager University dot com. That's our attempt to offer thoughts on what is right. Thanks for listening. This has been the ultimate issues.
Speaker 1: Our tomorrow on timeless Wisdom with Dennis Prager.
Speaker 2: Is it better for husbands and wives to spend a lot of time together, in fact, nearly all time together. Or is it better to have a distance hours apart each day or even sometimes days apart, because absence makes the heart growth fonder.
Speaker 8: But I kind of disagree with you on this one in that I think there's a big difference between not wanting to be with your partner and just needing a little alone time.
Speaker 1: Join us tomorrow to hear more on Timeless Wisdom with Dennis Prager.
Speaker 2: This has been.
Speaker 1: Timeless Wisdom with Dennis Prager. Visit Dennisprager dot com for thousands of hours of Dennis's lectures, courses in classic radio programs, and to purchase Dennis Prager's Rational Bibles. We want to take just a second to thank the team at Life Audio for their partnership with us on the podcast. Go to lifeaudio dot com to find dozens of other faith centered podcasts and their network, including shows about prayer, Bible study, parenting, and more.