Speaker 1: Welcome to Timeless Wisdom with Dennis Prager. Here thousands of hours of Dennis's lectures, courses, and classic radio programs. And to purchase Dennis Prager's Rational Bibles, go to Dennisprager dot com.
Speaker 2: Believe it or not, this is the Ultimate Issues Hour on the Dennis Prager Show. The third hour every Tuesday is devoted to a great issue of life. But give us the Christmas music. It is, after all, the last ultimate Issues hour prior to Christmas. Yes, special time of year. And I made the argument in the first hour that no, what is this the third hour? Already? Wow? Ghost fast Wow. I though it was the second is but of course it's the third. I made the argument that you got to take these two weeks and relax. It's very important. And believe me, I know about the world tensions and the domestic tensions. I read them, I write them, I talk about them, I live them. I care about them. But you have to at some point there is a reason to have holidays and Holy days. You have to take time off because next year is going to be very intense. The whole year. The future of the United States will be decided in November of twenty sixteen Ultimate Issues Hour. The Ultimate Issue is really a big issue. People don't know how big it is. I don't even think that many people who do say Merry Christmas to people realize how big it is. That's why I want you to please see my column this week. It's going I don't know about viral, but it's extremely widely reprinted on the internet, including Real Clear Politics, which takes what it considers the most important left and right articles each day. So you can go to National Review, town Hall, RealClearPolitics, Dennisprager dot com. And the title that I gave it is what title? Because they gave a different title National Review. Let me see the title that I gave it is saying Merry Christmas is very important. That's exactly what it is. It is very important. This is a huge issue, huge. That's what I want the people to understand. So I'm going to tell you why. Let me begin by reading this to you. What I wrote. The nearly universal change from wishing fellow Americans Merry Christmas to wishing them happy Holidays is a very significant development in American life. Proponents of happy Holidays argue that it's no big deal at all, and that proponents of Merry Christmas are making a mountain out of a mole hill, especially when proponents say that the substitution of Happy Holidays is part of a quote war on Christianity. But the happy Holidays advocates want it both ways. They dismiss opponents as hysterical while at the same time relentlessly pushing through it in America of Merry Christmas. So, then, which is it? Is the substitution of happy Holidays for Merry Christmas important or not? The answer is obvious. It is very important. That's why the anti Merry Christmas crowd has worked so hard to make this greeting a thing of the past, and they have been extraordinarily successful. I have been wished Happy Holidays by every waiter and waitress in every restaurant I have dined, by every one of the young people who welcome me when I go to the gym, by every flight attendant and pilot on every one of my flights, and by every individual I have dealt with on the phone. When I respond thank you Merry Christmas, I sometimes sense that I have actually created some tension, while many of those to whom I wish Merry Christmas may actually be happy that someone felt free to utter the SA word. All the sensitivity training that they've had to undergo creates cognitive dissonance. Christmas has also been eliminated by many, probably the majority, of our elementary schools, high schools, and universities. Thus, for example, they no longer have a Christmas vacation, but a winter vacation. The opponents of Merry Christmas and other uses of the word Christmas know exactly what they are doing. They are disingenuous when they dismiss defenders of Merry Christmas as fabricating some war on Christianity. Of course, it's a war on Christianity, or, more precisely, a war on the religious nature of America. The left in America, like the left in Europe, wants to create a thoroughly secular society. Unfortunately, most people do not realize that the left believes in secularism just as fervently as religious Christians believe in Christ. That's why Merry Christmas so bothers the anti religious left. It is perhaps the single most blatant reminder of just how religious America is, and it must therefore be removed from public discourse. Here's a safe prediction the ACLU and other secular activists on the left will eventually move to have Christmas removed as a national holiday. The left doesn't announce that its agenda is to thoroughly secularize America. Instead, activists offer the multiculturalist argument that saying Christmas as in Merry Christmas, or Christmas party or Christmas vacation is not quote inclusive unquote. This inclusiveness argument plays on American's highly developed sense of decency. Most Americans don't want to gratuitously offend other Americans, so the inclusiveness argument has been effective. But the argument is preposterous. Who exactly is being excluded when one wishes someone marry Christmas non Christians. I'm a non Christian, I am a Jew. Christmas is therefore no more or religious holy day for me than Ramadan. But I am an American and Christmas is a national holiday of my country. It is therefore my holiday, though not my holy day, as much as it is for my fellow Americans who are Christian. Irving Berlin, an American Jew, wrote white Christmas as a celebration of an American holiday, his holiday. Not wishing me or merry Christmas, you are not being inclusive. You are deliberately excluding me from one of my nation's national holidays. But even if Christmas weren't a national holiday, I would want companies to have Christmas parties, schools to continue to have Christmas vacations, and pilots to wish their passengers Merry Christmas. Just because I don't personally celebrate Christmas, why would I want to drop the word Christmas from public discourse When Christmas is celebrated by ninety percent of my fellow Americans. It borders on the misanthropic not to mention means spirited to want to deny nearly all of your fellow citizens the joy of having their Christmas parties called Christmas parties, or to have to force them to replace Merry Christmas with happy Holidays. A majority Christian country that treats non Christians so well deserve better. Narcissism, misanthropy, meanness, and ingratitude. That's what the leftist campaign against Merry Christmas and Christmas parties boils down to. So say merry Christmas and Christmas party. If you don't, you're not inclusive. You're letting the real life grinches win. There we go I want you to have that. I'd like you to read it at your Christmas party, at a Christmas table, I should say celebration. No matter what your opinion, it would provoke a very interesting discussion. While I'm not for debating politics, I think this is a this is a good one. It's time to fight back. It's one of the stupidest things. And it's the whole thing's fraudulent, non inclusive. It's a fraud to my fellow Jews. A very simple question, should a you in Israel not say Happy New Year during the Russiashana season? After all, they the Hebrew iss Shahnatova good Year? So should they not say that? After all, almost a quarter of Israel isn't Jewish. A fifth of Israel is not Jewish. So should they stop saying Happy New Year? When a fifth of Israel Israelis don't celebrate it personally? I bet you they I bet you it doesn't even occur to them. This is an American leftist invention, not inclusive. If you don't say Merry Christmas to me, then you are not being inclusive. There's nothing more inclusive than trying to bring me into your celebration. It's like, uh, it's like, I'm not going to celebrate your birthday because it's not my birthday. Hey, you're not inclusive. It's not my birthday. It's only yours. One eighth Praguer seven seven six. This is worthy of an Ultimate Issues Hour. It is an ultimate issue. Please get the article and send it along. You're listening to the Dennis Prager Show. We continue. One eighth Prager seven seven six. Hi, everybody, this is the Ultimate Issues Hour, third hour every week Tuesday is on some great issue. And I consider the removal of the word Christmas from the American public vocabulary to be an ultimate issue. Absolutely. Please read my column today saying Merry Christmas is very important. That's the title of the column. And it's all over the It's not all over, it's in many places on the internet, National Review, town Hall, Real Clear, Politics, and many other places. It's a national holiday. Anyway, I read you the entire piece. I'm not going to re review all of the points. I'm going to take your calls though. The schools no longer have Christmas vacation, it's winter vacation and so on. By the way, even Happy New Year. I don't know why they say Happy New Year. Jehovah's witnesses don't just celebrate the New Year. To the best of my knowledge, they don't celebrate birthdays. If you're going to. If inclusivity is your point, then you can't say anything about anything. Why even say happy holiday? Not everybody is observing any holiday? Right? Why say that inclusive totalitarian notion? And it's meaningless inclusive? If you wish me a merry Christmas and I happen not to be Christian, how am I being excluded? Exactly cold? Somebody tell me that, how am I being excluded? Aren't you in including me in your celebration? Isn't that the nicest thing you can do? Like everything else on the left, it's it's preposterous. It's preposterous. Birmingham, Alabama, Jonathan, Hello, Jonathan, Hey.
Speaker 3: How you doing all right?
Speaker 2: Thank you good?
Speaker 4: You know, Christmas is really just a celebration of the Winter Solstice, which is a pagan holiday that is kind of scraping it over by Christianity. And this is constantly you know, Christmas is constantly through Is.
Speaker 2: There anybody who celebrates Christmas who was celebrating the winter solstice? Is there anyone celebrating Christmas today? Who was celebrating the Christmas Solstice? Excuse me, the winter solstice.
Speaker 4: Well, it doesn't make it any less true that.
Speaker 2: That's what it's about, but it makes it completely irrelevant. It's true, but irrelevant.
Speaker 4: Well, I mean that's just why is it relevant?
Speaker 2: Why is it relevant? Everybody who celebrates Christmas as a religious day is not celebing the the place of the earth visa vi. The Sun. They are celebrating the birth of their savior. So why is it important to note that thousands of years ago it was the time of the winter solstice. I'm serious, I'm I'm not arguing with you. I want to know. Why do you think it's an important point?
Speaker 4: Well, I mean it's you know, it's it's recognized, what's recognizing what our ancestors went through to get us here. At one time, it was a big celebration about the harvest or whatever it was about. I'm not a historian, but no.
Speaker 2: No, I'm why did you call to tell me that it was originally the winter solstice? I'm not I'm not challenging you. I don't understand the point of the call.
Speaker 4: I mean, because it was stolen. It's stolen, it's sprayping it over by Christians. It's not it's not Christmas. Christmas?
Speaker 2: Who what does it mean? Okay? So are you aware of the fact that virtually every Biblical holiday, uh, and I'm talking as a Jew about the Hebrew Bible ultimately had a corresponding pagan basis. Did you know that the whole greatness of Judaism and Christianity is to pour new wine into old bottles. Otherwise people wouldn't know what they're doing in order to wean away Do you know, for example, the greatest I'm sure he wouldn't know, and I don't expect you to. The greatest Jewish philosopher whoever lived is mimonodes To eleventh century. And his point he completely Orthodox jew obviously, and he said the whole reason for the sacrificial system in the Bible was to wean away people from human sacrifice, the whole. Whether you agree or not, the point is that the greatness of elevated religion is to take traditional frameworks and fill them with moral essences. Concentrates you're concentrating on the bottle, whereas the point is to concentrate on the contents of the bottle. That's all that matters. All right. That's very important because because I see that. I always read comments on my pieces because I like to see maybe I did I made a wrong point, and maybe I could make the point stronger in the next column or on the next show. And I get this winter solstice stuff as if it means anything. Oh so therefore what so? Therefore America should not have Christmas, Christians should not celebrate Christmas? So what it doesn't mean anything? Okay, won eight Praeger. But I'm glad you called, Jonathan, and I thank you for the call. And Shaska, Minnesota and Karen, Hello, Karen of Chaska.
Speaker 5: Hey there is Chaska.
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh one minute, I like getting the right Karen of Chaska.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: This actually has more to do with your last hour. But I was listening to it in the discussion about whether or not you should tell children that Santa Claus is not real at a young age or not, and it just struck me that you're breaking your own principle, which is tell the truth first and then give your opinion.
Speaker 2: Right, So you should know that my policy for your kids is if your child asks you is Santa real, then you have to tell them the truth. However, there are.
Speaker 5: Lots of questions in life that they don't ask, but you still tell them the truth.
Speaker 2: That's right, but you see it. So I'm curious, as as I point out when I do the subject each year on Santa Claus, if you read to your child's Pinocchio, do you tell your child please know Pinocchio is not real. It's a made up figure by the author.
Speaker 4: Yes, okay, you're.
Speaker 2: Real like I do Cinderella, and you tell your kids there really was never a Cinderella.
Speaker 5: I'm not aworried that there ever was, so they would be still no.
Speaker 2: No, I'm not right. Okay, So this is a story.
Speaker 5: Santa Claus is a story, so I would tell them the same. It's a story. It's not real.
Speaker 2: No, that's what I'm saying. Before you read your kids Cinderella, you say this is not real.
Speaker 5: I don't know if before I opened the book, I would do that. But they would tell at a young age that it was a story.
Speaker 2: No, they don't know that that's not true. I'll bet you they believe Cinderella lived.
Speaker 5: But I would tell them when they were old enough to understand the difference between the truth and a story.
Speaker 2: So all right, So you would, according to you, you lie to them until they're older. That's your own that's your own accusation against me.
Speaker 5: No, Dennis, because there are lots of things that you do in life, you do to teach them things.
Speaker 2: That's exactly right. And that's exactly why I don't think there's any reason to tell your kid about Santa until they ask.
Speaker 5: Okay, well, sorry, I already did, by the way. I was raised in a family where I knew that Santa Claus was not real, but we still had christ of gifts under the tree.
Speaker 2: Believe that, and I believe that. I believe that, and I'm glad you did. I don't know anybody who's been harmed by having been raised without being told Santa Claus is a myth. Okay, I don't think it's a battle worth making. It's not my biggest passion in life. The Merry Christmas issue is a big passion. Back in a moment, you are listening to the Ultimate Issues Hour on the Dennis Prager Show.
Speaker 3: We're riding in a wonderland of.
Speaker 2: Hi, everybody, I'm Dennis Prager. This is the Ultimate Issues Hour. The third hour every Tuesday is on an Ultimate Issue this week. It is my column. I actually read my column. I don't do that. I mean maybe three times a year I do that. Maybe that's how significant I consider this column. And it's up at my website, National View, Real Clear Politics, town Hall and many others. It's as you might want to print it out and read it at your Christmas dinner. It's it's a it's a it's an important I think it's an important piece on why it is totally inclusive to say Mary Christmas and completely narcissistic to make the substitutions for it. Happy Holiday. Incidentally, our our guest here also here is happy holiday in the singular, not just happy holidays. CHRISTI in Inglewood, California, Dennis Prager High m Okay, Christy. Christy is currently one of the volunteers on the Martians Space Cruise and is calling from many miles away. Christy, I can't hear a word.
Speaker 6: Can you hear me?
Speaker 2: Now? I can? Great?
Speaker 6: Okay, Hi, thank you for taking my call. I have to tell you that you're such a blessing to me and my mom, who's almost ninety three. We listen to you every morning. I take care of her at home, and it's part of our morning routine. And I was walking through the dining room and I was hearing you explain to that lout caller some thoughts you had about the winter solstice and Christmas. And I have to tell you, you've never heard anyone explain.
Speaker 2: The give an answer to that.
Speaker 6: Yes, the elevations of paganism.
Speaker 2: That's right, Yep, that's right.
Speaker 6: The way that you did it was truly a special moment for me, and I hope it was for a lot of other people. You ares just so brilliant at explaining things.
Speaker 2: Well, that's very kind of you, you know. Just recently, it was very interesting. Recently, a very pre dominant Christians looked at me and he said, do you know how many people you have brought back to Christianity? And I said yes. And the fact is I brought a lot of Jews back to Judaism. And because there are great arguments to be made, I mean not arguments, there are great truths to be told. And the truth is that unfortunately, well intentioned clergy just haven't had these answers. There's this thing, Oh, it's really the winter solstice is an irrelevant point and it's not true. The greatness of religion is to take the pagan and elevate it, just as Christy was so happy to hear. That's its greatness. If people are celebrating a certain date and you can change that date from celebrating Zeus into celebrating one God and celebrating love your neighbor as yourself, and all the other greatnesses of the Testaments, then that's great, isn't it. Isn't that the best thing you could do. I mean, just to give you an example, let us say it's not a perfect example. Very few times is an analogy perfect. Let us say somebody took the swastika and made it into a symbol of love, an active symbol of love. They have taken it away, they have filled it with something beautiful. Okay, let's go to uh uh right, let's see, let's see, let's see, let's see. Okay, I'm sorry, Rob in Garden City, New York. We're not going to talk about Donald Trump this hour. I'm only laughing because it's so easy to get politics into anything. But now we're just talking about this subject. So yeah, call call tomorrow. That is exactly right. Okay. So we've opened up a line, folks, and I may open up a couple of others. Oh yeah, David, and fort Worth notes, those who say Santi is and real are misinformed. He was a real person. Okay, But obviously the way we refer to Santa Claus today, coming down the chimney and bringing you gifts and getting letters into the north pole, that's that's the one we're referring to. I see no harm done.
Speaker 6: You know what.
Speaker 2: I'm a big believer in folks, really really big believer in common sense. Back in a moment. You're listening to the Dennis Prager Show, the Ultimate Issues.
Speaker 7: Hour, just to share I love black yours bok.
Speaker 2: Hello, my friends. I'm Dennis Prager and this is the Ultimate Issues Hour, the third hour every Tuesday, and some great issue. I read to you my column today. Tuesday is my column day, nationally syndicated column, and it is about why saying Merry Christmas is so important. I do consider it an ultimate issue. People like to trivialize it. At the same time that they trivialize it, they are making war against it. No, no, no, Schools don't have Christmas vacations, they have winter vacations. We don't say Merry Christmas, we say happy holiday, and we don't have a Christmas party at work? We have a holiday party? Holiday party? What does that mean? Tell me, isn't there Isn't there something more meaningful to the word Christmas party than holiday party? I mean? Right? And you know what's happened. You see what leftism? Leftism is ultimately a form of narcissism. I don't celebrate it, so why the hell should you. I'm not religious, so let me tear down the religiosity of America. That's what it really is, That's what it is in its essence, and I want to fight back. I want to fight back. All right, Let's see what else we have here, and let's go to Colorado Springs. Pat, Hello, Pat, Dennis Prager.
Speaker 3: Dennis, I would love to talk to you one on one for about four hours.
Speaker 2: I learned so much from Would you bring a very good cigar?
Speaker 3: Absolutely?
Speaker 2: Okay?
Speaker 1: All right?
Speaker 2: Oh? Makes it certainly makes it more tempting. Yes.
Speaker 3: The attack against Merrick Christmas, I think is just another indicator of what's going on in the bigger picture. We wrestle not against flesh and blood. We wrestle against sprints, taalities and powers of darkness. I think we're in a spiritual battle in America.
Speaker 2: We are ultimately, There's no doubt in my mind it ultimately comes down to the God issue. There is no doubt in my mind that that is what is about leftism in the final Now, since Marx has been ultimately about that. Marx hated religion. It's the opiate of the people. God is Man, Man is God. What is it? Man is God? That was I believe Marx. God is Man. That was Engels. Ever since the beginning, it has been they have understood either the left winds or religion wins. And that is why Europe has essentially no religion. And what is the result. People don't get married, people don't have children, people don't have ultimate meaning. The place is soulless. I love visiting Europe. I love it. By the end of the next cruise, I will have been Europe has an incredible number of countries. I will have been to every European country except uh, maybe Slovakia because I was in Czechoslovakia, but that was before it divided into Czech Republican Slovakia and I and we're going to Slovenia correct on this cruise. So Slovenia on Albania and Montenegro, So what's left. I've been to Croatia, I've been to Serbia, So what's left in Yugoslavia the former Yugoslava. I think I will have been to every I and I studied in Europe for a year. I've been back a dozen times at least. But it's solis, folks. It is soulless and and that's what the left creates. It's a soulless place. Everything is about the material. How much do you make, how much time do you have off, what are your what is your retirement age? That's it. It's all material. It's because because obviously, if there's no God, what is Everything is just material? So he the caller is right, Pat, You're right, it is ultimately. I've always believed that it is ultimately about the God issue. You know how we know that at pre University. It's interesting, you know how much you know what's get the most hate of our videos the ones that advocate God's existence, not the ones that advocate small government, not the ones that advocate lower taxes. I mean, we have a lot of controversial and not even the ones that from the founder co founder of Greenpeace who spoke about the UH the lack of threat in global warming. Even those didn't get as much hate as the completely rational videos on behalf of God's existence. That's really what that's really in the final analysis, the most angering aspect. Oh Kadoki, Let's go to more of your calls, and again, thank you. Pat. Free up a line there, dearborn Michigan, Karen, Hello, Karen.
Speaker 8: Dennis Prager, Hi, Dennis, Merry Christmas.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 8: I wish I would have had your column read before I went into an appointment that I just left about an hour ago. I am a Christian. I do have a Muslim person that I know through work that I needed to visit his house, and he and I have had times. He's a very mature gentleman. It's been in this country over forty years, and is Muslim. We've had discussions in the past, very pleasant discussions about our respective religion. But today I visited him in his house and he had a Christmas tree front and center in his living room window, and I thought he is American, and I think that really hones into what your whole column was about, that despite our differences, he embraces America well.
Speaker 2: I think it does exemplify that he does exactly. That's not to say that every non Christian doesn't have a Christmas tree, doesn't embrace America. But it's I understand your point, and I agree with you, of course. I mean it's his He wasn't converting to Christianity. He was celebrating an American holiday, and it is a national holiday, folks. Easter is not a national holiday, but Christmas is a national holiday. And I honor my fellow citizen. I'm not just Dennis. Here's a great here's a great thought for people on the left. You're not only you or a member of your ethnic group or racial group. You're also an American. I know that that's a chakaru, but it's worth thinking about. Back in a moment. I get so involved and wrapped up in these Christmas songs that I I don't start talking on top now, who is that? I know that, I know that that's Frank, Yeah, of course, of course, exactly what an era? Now, these were the crooners, right, it was the krooner era. Yeah, it's like Dean Martin was a crooner too, right, It's just I know it's just a term, but they but they used it. Well, well, not in the crooner era now, so that's why I use the word era. Maybe it was an era to use era. Hello everybody, I'm Dennis Prager. This is the Dennis Prager Show and this is the Ultimate Issues Hour. Please get my column today. It comes out on Tuesdays on why saying Merry Christmas is so important. It is a huge issue in the United States. Huge Ah. Okay. Stephanie in Scottsdale, Arizona. Hello, Stephanie of Scottsdale.
Speaker 3: Hello, ooh that was beautiful.
Speaker 9: Hello, thank you.
Speaker 4: I have a question.
Speaker 9: My question is, as a Jew, how do we teach our children how to honor Christmas and say Mary Christmas without confusing them about the fact that we're Jews and we practice Judaism not Christian Now, it's very interesting, Americans, we want to honor us.
Speaker 2: Well, you just did it perfectly. Frankly, if you just said that, this is one of the great calls of my history, you answered the question. I don't have to say a word. I can only add an anecdote for you. I grew up in an Orthodox Jewish home where we wore a yamlda all the time in the house. Okay, and on every Christmas Eve, except if it was Friday night because we didn't watch television. On Friday night, every Christmas Eve, my whole family would gather around the television set and watch the Mass from the Vatican. And I remember when I was five or six, thinking, look, he where's a yamulka two? Looking at the Pope, there was never a confusion. I was raised in a home to love my fellow American, to love America, and to honor the holiday called Christmas, because that's a national holiday of the nation that has treated Jews better than any in history. Is that a good enough reason to say Merry Christmas? I'm Dennis Prager.
Speaker 1: This has been timeless wisdom with Dennis Prager. Visit Dennisprager dot com for thousands of hours of Dennis's lectures, courses in classic radio programs, and to purchase Dennis Prager's Rational Bibles.