Speaker 1: Life audio.
Speaker 2: The truth of my sin is that because I have become very habituated in hiding and covering my sin, a self deception is a serious problem in my life. Some sins I recognize in myself, but I don't recognize the depth of them, or even the ways in which they might actually be showing up and manifesting in my life. You need one another to actually see clearly what is to be confessed. You need one another to actually see your sin in truth, so that even in the privacy of your prayer closet, you are drawing near to the Lord in honesty. If I'm left to my own devices of discerning my sin, I'm going to be in real trouble.
Speaker 1: Hello, Hello, and welcome to the Confessions of a Christian Alcoholic podcast. I am your host, John Seidel. This is your home for real stories, radical vulnerability, and remarkable comebacks. In the end, this podcast is a place for the desperate, the downtrodden, the destitute, and especially the drunk. But it's also a place of hope and healing. I know that firsthand because I'm the Christian who became an alcoholic, not the other way around. Today I've found sobriety after decades of struggling. But more importantly than finding sobriety, I found Jesus. My prayer is that as I interview people just like you and just like me, along with professionals in the fields of trauma, faith and addiction recovery, you will find the peace that is available to you through Christ on the other side of whatever you're going through and whatever addiction that might be. Because, let's face it, we're all addicted to something so welcome. Let's get radically vulnerable as we explore what it looks like to be on this journey of messy sanctification. So the number one thing that I have been asked to speak on in the wake of my book Confessions of a Christian Alcoholic is not necessarily addiction. It's not necessarily what it you know, what it's like to fall or get back up or anything like that. It's actually about one of the four steps I talk about in the second half of the book, and specifically the step on radical vulnerability. And I think that idea has resonated with so many people. It's very universal, right, I mean, when it comes to radical vulnerability, it's something we all need to practice. And especially when I introduce it by its other name, which is true confession. And confession is something that our guest today knows a lot about. He has literally written a book on confession, and his name is Jamin Goggin. He spent years on staff at Sattlebeck Church with Rick Warren. He is now a professor at Talbot Seminary, just connected to Biola, and he has written a book called Pastoral Confessions, The Healing Path to Faithful Ministry, and this book is specifically written to pastors and how they can practice confession. But there is so much good stuff in here that I wanted him to come on and talk about confession in general, and he is going to do that today. This is a incredible conversation by someone who is a very deep thinker. So we're going to get into why confession is necessary, why it has to be horizontal and not just vertical, and why it can be difficult as well. So with all of that said, I want to get right into the conversation because we we go deep, but it's not it's still an accessible conversation. So ladies and gentlemen, Jamon Goggin, Jamen, thank you so much for joining the Confessions of a Christian Alcoholic Podcast. I don't think you're going to be confessing or revealing a secret addiction, although you know I'm always I'm always open to that. But you are, in a sense a foremost expert, if you will, on confession, on that idea and the importance of that. So I'm so glad to have you on the show today.
Speaker 2: Well, joy to be with you, John, Thanks for having me.
Speaker 1: So before we get going, you know, I talked a little bit about you in the introduction, but I always love people to introduce themselves because I think we get a glimpse at what's important to you and whatnot. So why don't you introduce yourself to the audience.
Speaker 2: Well, it's wonderful to be with you, John. As you said, my name is Jamon Goggin and probably the first and most important things to share about myself, I live in north San Diego County. For those who know the San Diego area, I'm an Escondido. My wife and I have the blessing of having five acres. We get to tend the land, which is pretty unusual in so Cal. Having grown up in so Cal, so that's an unusual thing. A creek running through the property. We got large majestic oak trees kind of lying the property, but primary investment for us into the soil has been my wife's rose gardens. So we are most weekends you can find us tending the ground. I'm kind of the labor to dig the holes and to fight off the gophers. And my wife is Truman Rose bushes. We have four kids who love to adventure and explore that property, although one now is a freshman at Biola University, so we're down to three in the home regularly. Our three boys, our daughters off at Biola, and I myself am actually a full time professor at Biola, teach at Talbot School Theology the seminary there, and I've been doing that now for one year, coming off of twenty years of full time pastoral ministry. So on my background, My primary vocational background is local church ministry in a variety of contexts, and now I have the joy of teaching and training a new generation of pastors and ministry leaders through a Talbot which is really fun. And I also am the director of something called the Healthy Pastor Initiative, and work was finishing the task and Rick Warren and I do retreats and kind of create space for pastors both kind of oriented towards training and equipping them in vocational health and fidelity, but also just trying to create spaces to care for them. And a lot of the work I do there is kind of connected to some of my recent writing and pastoral confessions. That's a little bit about me and where where I'm from and what I'm up to. And yeah, it's good to be with you.
Speaker 1: Well, thank you, that's you know, thank you for investing in the future. Right As someone who just finished my seminary degree, I appreciate you. Depending on depending on what kind of homework or tester you were, you know, maybe that could might change a lot. Just I just hate true false questions. Don't get me started on that.
Speaker 2: I have yet to assign anything that required a true false answer in eating my classes. So I knew I think, I think I'm your kind of prof I knew you were good. I knew it.
Speaker 1: But and you you know, you talked about working with Rick Wardy. I mean you you really grew up at Saddleback. I mean that was that's your background. I mean, you know, I've heard you talk about this another podcast. But I mean Rick was Rick was like pastor Rick like he was he he wasn't He wasn't the untouchable Rick. He was He was the guy that you were just going over to his house all the time.
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, my my family kind of charter members at saddle Bite Church. This is a long time ago. I started in in the nursery. Wow, church was you know, less than a couple hundred people, and when my parents joined as members, and so yeah, I grew up at Saddleback and the kind of the the explosion of the church and the size of the church, but also the explosion of Rick and his ministry obviously through writing purpose driven church and purpose driven life. But but my experience through all of that was he was a pastor. I knew he was my pastor and someone that I had close personal relationship with. They grew up dear friends with his son. And so as you said, I mean, I have many memories of weekends through middle school and high school, uh, late night watching movies at the Warren household or swimming in their pool. And it was a real, a real gift to actually be able to just see kind of behind the curtain of his public ministry and to see the integrity of life, generosity of spirit, to know his character. Really, in many ways, it gave me a vision for what it meant to be faithful as a pastor years later, meaning in a ministry myself. So yeah, my, my, my, My typical answer when someone asks who who has pastored you in your life, my first answer is Rick Warren. Mmm.
Speaker 1: And we have another there's an interesting there's another connection here Brandon Puffer, who has been on the podcast. His mother, I believe, was a longtime secretary there.
Speaker 2: For Okay, okay, yeah, I don't know that. I don't know we I know the last name, but I don't Yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 1: I can't remember her first name is her first name is? Is failing me right now. But you can go back and listen to that. Brandon was a former major league pitcher who you know, listen to the siren song of addiction, like so many of us, ended up in prison, and so when you talk about grace, when you talk about confession, his story is a powerful one. So you can go back and listen to that episode shameless plug, shameless plug to get you know, to have people go back and listen.
Speaker 2: I would hope you would encourage people to listen to your your party. There's nothing shameless about that.
Speaker 1: Thank you. But we're talking to you because you've written this book and I have it. I have it here on on on my kindle. But Pastoral Canfessions the Healing Path to face faithful ministry. Why don't you just give us a little bit of background on what led you to write this book? And I know it's specifically written to pastors, but yet I have gleaned so much from it, and I think our audience can glean so much from it. But what led you to write this book?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Well, as I shared earlier twenty years in full time pastoral ministry and variety of church contexts, I think those two decades of ministry were really, I think an occasion for me to both as directed by the Spirit, kind of attend to my heart and the unique semptations and vices that can actually come in the pastoral vocation. And without going all the details, there were just pretty pivotal kind of inflection pointsments along that journey of twenty years where the Lord really invited me to see the truth of my heart that while I had embraced, I think in faithfulness of calling to proclaim the Gospel and shepherd God's people, that even in those places where oftentimes I was ministering with good ends in mind, there were vices driving and motivating me, whether it was grandiosity, self glory, pride, and so you know, along my journey, the Lord really, in his grace invited me to see these things in my heart, and I think surrounded me with both soul care providers and dear friends in my life who can kind of invite me into honest confession with the Lord and take me a bit on a journey of formation in my own kind of engagement with the vocation. And so I think one part of the motive of the book was really just just to name that name my experience. But I think the second maybe element to share there is that over the course of those twenty years, so many conversations with fellow pastors in particular, that I often discovered we're struggling with the very temptations or leading out of similar vices that I had unearthed in my own life and heart and ministry. And yet oftentimes we're trying to kind of manage those things on their own, keep them hidden, keep them concealed, sometimes perhaps out of fear of what might happen if this is discovered? Will others view this as disqualifying? With this, you know, quite literally caused me to lose my job. I think for most it probably wasn't always quite that extreme, but just that kind of that fear of what will people think, how will they view me now as a leader? If the truth of my heart, the sins of my heart, especially as they're kind of coming to bear on the ways in which I'm even engaging in the ministry, in the vocation, those things are revealed, might it actually cause others to stumble? And so I think, through the course of countless conversations with fellow pastors, what began to surface in my heart? Wow, there's a lot of pastors laboring in what I will call just unconfessed sin, and they're trying to manage it on their own. They've kind of kept these secrets to themselves. But now I've been a ministry long enough to see the very kind of lived reality and effect of what happens when we keep our sins to ourselves, unconfessed and hidden, and try to manage them on our own. And so I just really began to have this kind of burden of heart? What might it look like to invite pastors to kind of come out of hiding, to tell their secrets first and foremost to the Lord, but also to one another. And so the last piece here. I actually started writing the book, and the original kind of working title was Temptations of a Pastor. And I had kind of yeah, and I had kind of stories of temptations in ministry, and we'll probably get into this, but the ways in which certain sins and vices can kind of disorder and distort the very work the vocation itself. And I was kind of narrating those things as temptations, and I really felt a conviction from the Lord, like, was it the healing that you found in all this jame and actual confession and acknowledgment of sin, not just not just that you were tempted by these things, but you actually have sinned in these ways, and yet you've come to know my grace. And and so I that was for me. And this is several years ago when I began to write the book. I spent a couple of years writing it, but I I think for me that was a really significant shift. And around that time I returned to Augustine's you know, magisterial work, and and and and I think the Lord also used his words, I mean the confessions. I've read Augustin's Confessions. I've read I don't know, probably six seven times in my life. But this time I really used it as a kind of the Lord used it, I think, just again to kind of prod me towards a different mode of writing. And so I really felt a sense of conviction that if I'm going to call other pastors to confess their sins, not just to talk about their temptation, but to really be honest about their sin before the Lord and one another, then I need then I need to go first. And if we're going to take James five sixteen, seriously confessed your sins to one another and pray for one another that you may be healed, and I'm going to commend that as actually a wise way for pastors to live their lives, I need to go first in the book. And so so that for me became an impetus for not just talking about the idea of confession, not just hinting at certain temptations I may have had, but as you know, having read the book, actually confessing my pastoral sins and then inviting pastors to join me in the ways in which these sins might be showing up in their lives as well.
Speaker 1: So I was going to ask you a question and then, like I told you, I just chased rabbits. And so then you brought something up that I'm like, Okay, then we're scrill there when I talk about radical vulnerability, which is true confession, right, And so you know that's one of my four steps. In my book, I talk a lot about James five sixteen. One thing I appreciated about your writing, by the way, is is it's great to see another writer who will who will use healthy footnotes. I love using footnotes. And so what's so interesting is you you talk about James five to sixteen, and you have this really lengthy footnote about where you go into kind of some of the views on James five sixteen. And you know, it's really interesting because when I'm speaking on this, I point out it doesn't say confess your sins one to another so you can have peace, so you can have whatever it says so that you may be feeled. And what's interesting to what I point out is that I think this is an example of basically like where science catches up to the Bible, because as studies have shown that in confession, when we actually are open and honest about what goes on and what has been done to us and what we have done, we like there's literally physical health, and like people who confess more to go to the doctor less, like there's there's actually physical benefits to confession. But it's interesting you kind of went on this on on really digging through this, and you kind of came to this conclusion I think in some ways very similar that what James is talking about there is holistic health.
Speaker 2: Can you explain that, Yeah, yeah, well some of this is, you know, to put my my theologian hat on for a moment. Some of this is, uh probably would demand getting into some weeds of exegesis with the whole book of James. But in that in that footnote you reference, I kind of tipped my cap to Richard Bakam at least as I recall, and he he does a really good job of kind of just identifying the ways in which James talks about persons throughout his letter and to put it in a kind of a negative register that James is not prone to be kind of reductive, right, But he's wanting to think holistically. And I think Bacham's reading of the text is a good one on the whole. And I think the way it shows up in particular in that verse is, Yeah, in the immediate context, you have this question about those who've been sick, those who've been physically ill, and I think what we would want to say is something like, yeah, what you just said is true. It turns out human persons are integrated, right, Meaning what's going on in our body is not somehow kind of separated it from what's going on in our mind, our heart, and vice versa. That persons experience life as an integrated whole. And so I think we want to have, I think a vision of the effects of sin that makes sense of some of the other Biblical language that we might want to bring in here. So I think of the Psalm as talking about envy making the bones rocked. Well, there's there's a way of reading that that just kind of exclusively spiritualizes, meaning that reads it as a kind of maybe exclusively as a metaphor for that which is only something that the spirit experiences, or a spiritual experience. But I'm inclined to read it actually again more holistically, that there is a kind of bodily misery and physiological reality that happens when a soul is really given over to envy. But that's also not to the neglect of the kind of spirit, mind, heart effect as well. So I think, yeah, I would just want to affirm what you said. And I do think that an unconfessed life has an effect on the whole person, and I think the healing we're looking for is a healing of the whole person. Now, of course, I think we want to have a kind of a right eschatological perspective here, meaning I think what we don't want to do is suggest some kind of form of a prosperity yes hundred gospel in connection to confession, like if I just confess, then all my physical ailments are going to go away. But but again, neither do we want to suggest that our sin and what's going on in our inner life, for example, has no effect on our body. And I think in many ways, as much as there's maybe some some deeper theological questions to ask care and wrestle through, I think in the lived experience that folks have even even that reference I gave earlier envy makes the bones rot. I think there's I think there's a sense where people can kind of go, yeah, you know, there is a kind of physiological, bodily kind of misery, you know, clinched, clinched in my stomach, tight in my shoulders. Well, whatever it may be for folks, and so I I think even maybe as folks here as talk as much as as much as uh, there's a lot we can say here with theological depth. There is a kind of at handness for folks where I think they would go, well, yeah, of course, yeah, of course.
Speaker 1: You know, you know, think the common language that is used when people confess, like they say, it's like a weight was lifted off, right, it's physiological language that anyone who has ever hid something or had something kind of that they kept secret when it's come out. I mean even even you see this on the news, right, people who have been caught after so long and they're like, you know it kind of it sucked, But man, if I'm glad to be free, you know, like there is a weight that is lifted, there's a freedom that is found, which actually brings me to my next question. You have this quote you say, the confessing soul is the flourishing soul. Blessed we might say, are the confessors? And so two questions there, I guess I would say, how can you say that? Why? Why is that true?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 1: And then what do you say to the person who's like, that's great in theory, but you don't know what's coming if I confess this, you know, So, how is it that we can say that, blessed are the confessors? Like what is waiting for us?
Speaker 2: Yeah? And that's really good.
Speaker 1: We'll be right back after this.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I think where my mind goes here, John is maybe to reflect a little bit on Paul's theology in Corinthians of power being perfected in weakness. And I think the act of confession is in many ways an embrace of one's weakness, one's frailty, one's desperation, one's great need, one's insufficiency. And in other words, it's not only an acknowledgment before the Lord that I've sinned or that there's brokenness, But in confession, what we're saying is and I can't resolve it. Confession is an act of drawing near to the Lord and the truth of ourselves, to declare I need you here, I am in need of grace. I can't resolve this on my own. And so I think, as I reflect a little bit on Paul's theology of power and weakness, I think that's in part what I'm trying to get at with the language of flourishing, that if it really is true that the Christ's power is perfected in weakness, that when I'm weak, then I'm strong, that the sufficiency of His grace is what actually makes for a sustained and flourishing life. Then getting about the business of meeting God in the truth of my sin, my frailty, as well as just other kinds of weakness. We might want to talk about my insufficiencies, my fatigue, my suffering, whatever it may be. But all these things that often we try so hard to kind of hide or cover, avoid, mitigate, actually all these things that we might identify as weaknesses in our life now actually become places in which we know the abiding presence of God in our life and his power at work in our life. And I think what I would want to say maybe is something like this. You know, the the the only powerful life is the life of utter dependence upon the Lord. Yeah, And that that is the flourishing life. The only way to produce fruit in the kingdom is to abide. And I know this is something you talk about in your book as well. And apart from Him, we can do nothing. And so the flourishing life, the powerful life, is the abiding life. It's the life of coming to know God's grace in our failure. It's a life of coming to know His strength in our weakness and living out of that power and that strength, living out of that abiding love independence. And I know for many of us that's that's counterintuitive kingdom, right, But it turns out that's the gospel. Right.
Speaker 1: It's funny, you know, you bring up you bring up weakness. And so one of my is two Corinthians twelve seven through ten. Right, it's like, as someone who has come to the end of the end of myself and continually and needs to it's it's that thorn in my flesh is what keeps me dependent on God. And I think, what what what? What most people realize is like like everyone has a thorn, right, Like we need to be dependent on God, right, Like He allows these things to draw us to himself. You say in the book, you say our confession cannot merely be a secret kept between us and God. And you talk about the necessity of confession not just to be vertical but also horizontal. Can you talk about why confession? You know some people might be listening to listen, It's okay, I'll just you know. And I did this a little bit too, right, the cognitive dissonance, the tricks we play, the theological ways that we justify whatever. Okay, I'm being open with God about it. He knows, God knows. God knows that I'm struggling with alcohol. Right, But why does confession also have to be horizontal?
Speaker 2: Well, I think a good place to start and to not look past too quickly is again a return to James five sixteen. And I think what I don't read in James five sixteen is any kind of opt out clause for those who determined not needed for them, whether they be ministry leaders or pastors, whether they be faithful followers of Christ and congregations. Right, Confessor sens to one another. I take it to one another is an all encompassing kind of one another, the same as we get throughout the rest of the New Testament. The one anothers are directed to the whole of the Body Christ. So we want to begin there to say, the Lord says we need this, and he calls us to do this. Okay, So I think maybe to get a little bit on the inside of the why question, I think a couple of things come to mind here. One is, I think it's important to not reduce interpersonal confession within the Body of Christ to merely a kind of human or earthly communication. If indeed the Church is intwelt by the Holy Spirit, and the Spirit is working in and through the members of the Body of Christ to build up this body in love, which I think the Apostle Paul makes quite clear for us. Then in fact, as we're confessing our sins to one another, and as we're hearing one another's confessions, the Spirit of the Lord is at work in and through the body. In other words, it's not like over here, I'm praying and talking to God in my prayer closet, and that is a kind of distreet act between God and I alone. And then over here when I talk to maybe a friend at church about my sin, it's just my friend and I talking about my sin, and God's not involved. That's not the theology of the New Testament and what we have going on in the New Testament as a vision of God being at work in and through the priesthood of all believers. In other words, his grace, the grace we need to meet us in our sin, the grace that brings healing in our sin, is not only to be known in the privacy of prayer, but it is mediated in and through the members of His body. It is mediated in in through the priesthood of all believers. So, in other words, to say we need one another and to confess to another is yet still to say we need God. And here's how God has seemed fit to communicate himself to us and communicate his grace to us is in and through his body Church. So I'd want to again there as a reminder that this isn't a kind of yeah, we need to tell God, but also I need to tell a person too, or something like that God is involved in all this. Our confession is always directed to Him, and noticed there in James five sixteen, the reason for confession to another is that the other may pray for us. God needs to hear our prayers from our own heart, and He also needs to hear our prayers in and through the hearts of others. He hears our heart through the intercession of brothers and sisters in Christ. He hears our cry through their shared cry on our behalf. I say this often when this comes up in context, for maybe I'm invited to speak, I say, I can use all the prayer I can get. How about you? And I can use all the prayer I can get, And I can use all the prayer I can get in particular about the sin in my life, which is I take it to be the deepest problem of my life. Whatever I've determined to be the deepest problem of my life. Sin actually is the deepest problem of my life. And I can use all the prayer I can get about such sin. I think the other thing I would want to say, last thing I'd want to say here, John, is this. I take it that others who are listening to this are like me. And the truth of my sin is that, because I have become very habituated in hiding and covering my sin, often am very self deceived about the sin in my life. Self deception is a serious problem in my life. Some sins I recognize in myself, but I don't recognize the depth of them, or even the ways in which they might actually be showing up and manifesting in my life in relationship to other people. And so I think there's a lot we could say here, but one of the things I would I would want to also invite people to consider, is you need one another to actually see clearly what is to be confessed. You need one another to actually see your sin in truth, so that even in the privacy of your prayer closet, you are drawing near to the Lord in honesty. If I'm left to my own devices of discerning my sin, I'm going to be in real trouble. And so that the kind of the avoidance of confession to others is also an avoidance of the truth of my sin, because to varying degrees, we all are self deceived about our lives and about our sin. And so part of that confession to another as well is to say, can you help me see this in truth in my life? Can you help me see what's really going on? Can you join me as a friend or maybe a sole care provider or pastor whoever it may be, in my life, can you help me discern the sin in my life? And also discern the ways in which it is showing up that I can bring all of that before the Lord, and you can bring all of that before the Lord as well with me. So I think that's another another reason why to get at the why why we need one another confession of our sin.
Speaker 1: I want to go here for a second because there is Chuck to Grott. He's been a guest on this podcast as well, which I know you reference him in the book, but he talks about vulnerability versus real vulnerability, and you have this line that I think is really good. You say every temptation was a means of escaping that which is at the heart of true confession vulnerability. And obviously I give it a qualifier in my book as well that it has to be radical vulnerability because our we're used to regular vulnerability, right, we know how to And you kind of talk about this a little bit too, and where where oh, I'm just going to confess my struggles, you know, in right, I'm just gonna talk about my you know. And and I give that example of the book too, like you go around a room and everyone's like, you know, Bob's like, yeah, I'm just struggling with LUs today. You know, you're like, okay, Bob, like what does that.
Speaker 2: Really look like? Right?
Speaker 1: Are you going to be right? So my question to you is what does it look like? And what does it mean to be truly vulnerable? Like what does that mean?
Speaker 2: Hm? Yeah, well I do. I have appreciation for Chuck. He's a he's a friend, and yeah, just really appreciative of his ministry. And I think he has some good things to say here. I'd want to commend his writing one vulnerability for folks. You know what comes up for me, as you asked, that is maybe a brief reflection and a brief return to the first moment of sin and Genesis three in the garden. What we see immediately following sin and rebellion is an attempt to hide and cover because of guilt and shame, to kind of now deal with the fallout and to begin kind of managing God and to keep God at a distance. And I think the fear that shows up there for Adam and Eve is if I actually come out of hiding and I uncover that I'm going to be in real trouble and condemnation is coming. And I think it's important to remember that this fear is not for no reason as well. I mean, the Lord has communicated clearly death is the consequence for rebellion and sin, and so I think we need to be careful not to just kind of collapse the story into kind of psychological struggle. But there are real consequences for sin, there's real judgment for sin, according to the Lord. And yet what we see as the Lord graciously calls them out of hiding with that wonderful question where are you? This is not God? Is it like bad at hide and seek?
Speaker 3: You know, he knows exactly where they are physically, But I take it, but I take it the question is not just a question of where they are physically, but it is a question that is inviting confession.
Speaker 2: Come out of hiding in all the ways you're hiding, uncover, come before me. And the fear there for Adam and Eve is that the place of their healing is actually a place of harm, and the truth is the only way for them to resolve what's going on. The only way for them to actually be healed is to indeed come out of hiding, drawn nears to the Lord and to discover that he actually meets them in grace. And as we see the movement in the garden now is going to be a movement to promise of resolution for this not only for them, but for all of humanity. A promised seed, but a provisional covering right is offered for them in place of the covering they've tried to make. God's gracious presence meets them. So I think what I would want to say is something like this, Adam Neive's temptations of hiding and covering, these are going to be ours. We inherit them in the fall. Their fear of condemnation is going to be a kind of perennial now, fear for the human heart, especially in relation to sin, this is going to be part of our experience. And so how do we then embrace the vulnerability necessary for the healing? How do we actually continue to come out of hiding time and again so that we might actually experience God's grace? And I think what I often tell folks is and I love your language, John, I love the language of radical vulnerability. But what I often tell folks is you must begin where you are. And if where you are is well, Lord, I still feel like hiding, and I don't know that it actually is safe. Then start the conversation there, and that's where radical vulnerability, I would argue, actually begins, because I think one of the temptations when hearing that language of kind of radical vulnerability is to think I have to go from zero to one hundred, right, meaning you know, I haven't been vulnerable at all. And now what you're asking me to do is, like, I don't know, show up tomorrow night at an AA meeting around the corner and let everybody in that room know everything I've ever done, or show up to my small small group meeting tonight and finally let it rip and tell them every sin I've ever committed since I was five years old with great detail, right, and you know, and likewise to do the same thing with the Lord. You know, if I'm honest, I've kind of lived a fairly unconfessed life in prayer. I've done a lot of maybe generic sin confession. Oh Lord, you know I'm a sinner, forgive me, Okay, thanks bye. There's been a lot of that. And now you're asking me to kind of somehow go full tilt on every moment of pornographic viewing for the last decade and to kind of print off a sheet at time stamps and then talk to the Lord about every one of those moments like, oh, man, right, and so, what I would want folks to hear, and I think you would agree with this, what I would want folks to hear is this is the temptation for us in dealing with our sin, the very temptation of Adam Eve. This is going to be the fear for us, the very fear of Adam and Eve. And now the I think the invitation of the Lord is to begin coming out of hiding to hear that question where are you and to begin answering it precisely in the place we are, and if the place we are is Lord, I think the only vulnerability I can do right now is to be honest, fatifical with the fact that it's really scared to be vulnerable. Start the conversation with the Lord there, because the answer to courage is going to be nothing short of and encounter with the tryune God, meaning I don't want to have any model for maturing and vulnerability that is natural. It has to be supernatural, meaning it's going to require God's presence actually meeting you in that vulnerability. That one half step of vulnerability measure his grace meeting you there, his presence and encounter with him. That's going to now give you the courage to say, you know what, I haven't think I have a little more to share. They kept a little more to share, And I think I would just say the same thing about confession ever since to one another. You know, my book is so much, as you said, directed towards pastors. Although much of the book I'm talking about sin in all of our lives, right, and I narrate the seven deadly sins pride and lust and in the avarice. Acadia might be a little bit unfamiliar to folks, but I think, here sloth, that's primarily what we have in mind with a Kadia. But you know, and I narrate in many of the chapters kind of the need for us to confess these things to one another, for pastors to confess these sins to another another pastor another ministry leader. And oftentimes I get questions there, man, how do I go from I don't do this at all to again showing up in my next elder meeting, and just what do I do? Just let it rip? I like, share everything, call a friend tonight and don't get off the phone until it's all done. Is this what you're asking me to do? And I say no, No, Begin where you are. Identify someone you trust in your life, fellow elder, fellow pastor, trusted friend who themselves are committed to falling Christ, who want to embrace this way of flourishing a life of confession, and start the conversation right there. You know what, John, I think this is something we're called to do. That's how I read James five sixteen. But if I'm really honest, it scares me to death. And I trust you as a friend. But if I'm really honest, there's there's parts of me that aren't sure I can trust you as really being honest about certain things in my life. Can we start the conversation there? How do you hear that? And how do you feel?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 2: You know, Jam And it turns out I feel scared too, and I you know, And it turns out, you know, I think you're right, this is something we're called to do, but it seems really scary to really do that in a kind of fulsome way, a full throatd infession. And can we just start the conversation there? And again? Now we can begin to build trust and begin to take half steps maybe sometimes some full steps into greater vulnerability. So I love that language of vulnerability, radical vulnerability, but I think the journey of radical vulnerability is just that it's a journey, and what opens us up. I think encourage to be honest before the Lord and honest with others about our lives is to begin where we are and to encounter God's grace and to experience the blessed presence of brothers and assist in Christ continuing to meet us faithfully and well in certain places where we can begin to cultivate a little bit more courage to share more.
Speaker 1: Well, you're one hundred percent right that we would be on the same page because whenever I talk about radical vulnerability and people okay, so what And my line is I say, just go one step for then you're comfortable going, and then and then when you get comfortable there, just take another step. And then when you get comfortable there, you take it another step.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: So it's like it's like, you know, I had a guy raised his hand, He's like, ah, you know, all you young people you just post everything on you know, social media, and I'm like, listen, I am not telling you to go home and post all your sins on social media. And that's what radical vulnerability is. It's going one step further than you're comfortable going, and then taking another step, and then taking another step. And you said something there that I just wanted to read because I think it's one of the most beautiful few lines in the book. But you talked about the place of harm being the place of healing. I'm a sucker for alliteration as well, so so I just wanted to read this. The fear of our heart is built on sins. Great lie, that the place of healing is the place of harm, that the chalice of confession is filled with poison, that the medicine God has provided cannot be trusted. We have come to believe that confession is not a place of life, but instead a place of death. Of course, as with all lies, the devil has sown this one trades on something that is true. Confession does entail a kind of death, but it is precisely by such a death that we find true life. And you know, someone asked me, well, John, how would you define vulnerability? And I want to run this by you and see what you think. Right, you can tell me I'm wrong, right, you can be professor, an I'd be seminary student. But is like, I feel like if we're going to practice vulnerability, true vulnerability, that it has to entail the fact that we could get hurt, Like it has to it has to entail the fact that, like if you're confessing something in being vulnerable, like you know, I joke with someone the other day that it's kind of like the Miranda right, like cannon will be used against you in the court of law, like it could be used against you in the court of public opinion. Like if you confess this, it could hurt you in some ways. That's how you know you're being vulnerable. How does that sit am? I am I off there? What does that? What does that sound like to you?
Speaker 2: Well, when I when I hear you say that, I think I'm hearing you kind of primarily talking about interpersonal vulnerability. So we're not talking about a relationship with God here, right, right, We're talking about sharing with another, being honest with another about our life, and confessing to another person. And I think I think they're I think you're right, and I think maybe to move away from the kind of immediate context of confessing my sins. This is just true of genuine relationship. In other words, vulnerabilities, it turns out, is going to be kind of a prerequisite for actual relationship. To be known requires a kind of honesty of person and a vulnerability of person. And if I'm not known, then I'm not going to actually experience love. And so I think in many respects, maybe we just want to say it this way, even in broader terms than even specific to confession, although I do think it applies there. The risk of vulnerability is the risk of love, and the risk of love with it turns out human persons is the risk of being hurt and being disappointed and being let down and being rejected, and that's I think we all know that to be true in life. And the other option is we opt out of genuine relationships, we opt out of really being known, and consequently we opt out of experiencing love and being loves by another. And I think that that's true in dating relationships, it's true in friendships all right, It's true in partnered ministry relationships, and in the church. It's it's true in all of our relationships. And I think without that vulnerability we live very I think in the truest sense of the word lonely lives in which we are not known and we do not experience being loves. But yes, it it brings with it a risk. It brings as as as genuine love and authentic relationship always does. It brings with it the risk of being rejected and being hurt and being let down. And I think here maybe I would just want to add one note for folks up, kind of a pastoral note. I think in all this talk of confessing sins and being vulnerable, it's not lost on me that some of us have tried to do that. And and I'm sure you know these stories as well, John, Some of us, you know, have taken the risk of being honest and being vulnerable and trusting another with our life, whether it's confessing sin or even just sharing a personal wound, actually sharing suffering another place of vulnerability in our lives, and that has been used against us, or we have been gossiped about, or we have been met with condemnation, or we've been met a bit like Job's friends met him with a kind of fixing, spiritual spiritualized speech, correction where comfort was needed, whatever it may be, and it's not lost on me that those experiences of rejection, of the kind of correction where comfort was actually needed, or maybe have just kind of avoidance. Maybe we shared with somebody and they didn't slander, they didn't correct or condemned, but they just kind of took off, They didn't stay with us in it, and they kind of ran away when we really needed intimacy and care and presence. And those experiences are really painful, and they can we can begin to cultivate in the heart a sense of caution and suspicion and doubt and hesitancy in choosing to be vulnerable again, choosing to trust again. And I think that is oftentimes, for many of us, a great challenge. And so once again my encouragement here would be two things. One, meet the Lord in that, you know, if you've experienced that from a friend or a pastor even just someone you trusted that you thought you could be vulnerable with and it actually it was harmful in some ways. Meet the Lord in that in your grief and crowd to him, and this needs to be brought into prayer. But also as you're able to begin to bring that experience into conversation with trusted others, as you said, with a half step or a one step measure, like, Hey, I really want this to be true of our friendship, but I've had some experiences with prior friendships that boy didn't go great, you know, And I just can we begin the conversation there, like, I know that's not you, but it's hard for me not to have those fears of this relationship and allow now the experience of vulnerability to the degree were able to be a kind of healing bomb relationally to begin to recultivate trust. But I take it, you know.
Speaker 4: This is that conversation not long ago with with Ray Ortland about some of this and and he shared a wonderful line that I think he received from his maybe his dad in the years of growing up.
Speaker 2: But people, people will hurt you and disappoint you and keep giving your heart away. And you know, because the other option is again a kind of loneliness and a life of isolation apart from kind of love and care and intimacy that I think the Lord intends, particularly within the body of Christ.
Speaker 1: Yeah, two more questions as we start to wrap up here. One of them would be, you know you write this book to pastors, I think one of the great failures of the church. And and you know that paints a broad brush, but but it's just not really kind of understanding grace, right that when people do fall, when they when they do confess, when there are things that the church and too many Christians kind of struggle with, Well what does it look like to offer grace to someone and so and so there's this there's this line you have. He says, the problem comes when we believe above reproach equals without sin. And so I guess my question is how do we how does the church come to a better understanding of what it looks like to accept people in general as they're confessing, but then also pastors and those who have fallen, and not just throw these kind of trite like well, you're supposed to be above reproach and the and the scriptures say that you will be judged party, which is true, but first of all, like what does that mean above reproach? And how can we as Christians do a better job of offering grace? We'll be right back after.
Speaker 2: This, Yeah, great question. I think the above reproach is that line. I think you know it's used repetitiously by the apostle Paul in those texts in the pastoral epistles that are often identified as qualifications for the pastoral office. So you have Titus one Timothy three, and I think the best way to understand what Paul's getting at there is actually just to read this surrounding context. Right, Paul provides in both those texts of qualification for the pastoral office a kind of profile of character. What we don't get there is anything about a resume of success or accolades or achievements, or even skill set and competency. Paul's concern is about character, and so we hear about being self controlled and gentle, we hear about being hospitable. Right is going to give us a profile in both these passages, And I think that's the best place to look and saying, well, what does it look like to be a BROP approach? In other words, I take above reproach to be the kind of summary statement for this kind of person. I'm describing what I often say in the classes I teach to Talbot is pastors are called to love to a life of holy love that is both distinguished and demonstrative, meaning it's marked by maturity. It's distinguished. They are elders in the household of God. They are those who are older and mature in the faith that the rest of the body of Christ ought to be able to look at and say, Ah, that's what it looks like to mature in Christ, to mature in love. And they do so in a demonstrated manner, meaning their examples to the flock that their lives are meant to be an example of it. This is what it looks like to bear the fruit of an abiding life in Christ with maturity. Now, all that being said, that line you read for my book, what this doesn't mean is that a pastor is going to be perfect above approach is not without sin. If the qualification for the pastoral office was without sin, none would be found qualified. To put it simply right, If if we say we're without sin, we deceive ourselves and we call God a liar. I take that to be true for all of us. Okay, yeah, and so now I think we're gonna need to think, well about what does it mean then for someone to have a kind of character, a formed character in Christ by the spirit, that is genuinely matured in love, and that is an example to all. Then I think there is a sense in which we do need at have a high bar standard holy life, a life of obedience, but also recognize pastors are not without sin. And so I would commend those two texts to folks I think as places to look at. What is Paul talking about what kind of character? Notice in those passages a lot of what you get is talk about both the way in which they manage and care for their home and their family, as well as their reputation in the community. And of course, in a first century context, these two things are not as easily separated as they are at our day. We don't have people driving forty five minutes to an office to work all day and driving home where maybe their spouse literally never even sees their offers and knows anyone that they work with. Right, We're dealing with a cultural environment where the way one conducts one's business is family business first of all, and the way in which one lives in their home is kind of bleeds into the marketplace in the community that they live in. And so what I what I take that to mean is these are the kind of people whose lives, the way they live their lives with their family. The way they live their lives in the community again models a maturity in Christ and demonstrates what it looks like to bear the fruit of the Spirit in a way that is exemplary. So that being said, I think to answer your other question that was attached to it, I think, unfortunately, I think we tend to we often, I think, tend to conflate a couple of things here, right, pastors caught in sin. That's genuinely disqualifying for the pastoral office, according to those qualification texts that we have from Paul. Sometimes you'll hear folks say something like, well, we want to be about grace, and who are we to you know, maybe everything I just said, You know, who are we any of us to claim we're without sin? And well, yes, of course, if if there's genuine repentance and confession, right, we want to, as appreciated of all believers, declare the good news of absolution in Christ to this brother in Christ who sinned. And uh, if there's genuine repentance and confession, then those other measures that the apostle actually calls us to, of potential exclusion from from the body of Christ and excommunication and discipline. Well, if there's genuine repentance and confession and a pursuit of restoration in Christ, we want to receive them yet still as a brother in Christ. However, that does not mean they get to hold pastoral office. Belonging to the Body of Christ is not equivalent with holding a pastoral office. And what I would say is offering grace is no mean they get to keep their job. Offering grace means we welcome them yet still as a brother in Christ. We receive their confession and repentance as genuine and celebrate the good news of the Gospel that their sins are forgiven, and we honor the good news of the Gospel in Christ in their life. And yet if they've proven to be disqualified from pastoral office, then I take it they can no longer hold pastoral office. And so I think sometimes we can kind of conflate these things, right that showing grace means they ought to be able to get back on their job, and I think being a member of the Body of Christ is kind of their first place of identity and relationship to the church. Not all members of the Body of Christ hold pastoral office, and that's okay, Yeah, so I don't know if that's getting at your question enough.
Speaker 1: No, it's helpful because you know, and I say this too, is repentance, confession, grace. They're not a get out of jail free card. In fact, you may still have to go to jail for the things, yes that you do. I mean, we talked about Brandon Poffer at the beginning of this. You know, a man, it's like, listen, I serve time in prison, and I deserve to serve time in prison. I was sorry, I was repentant. I did what I did, though, and so you know, I think, you know, we opened this up a little earlier that like, confession is hard, right, and there will be some of those who you lose your job. And yet what I hope that people get from this going on the way back to the beginning, is that there is a beauty, There is a freedom. There is a flourishing that you you know, you may not see right now, or that may not seem like a possibility now, but confession brings this this life that you couldn't imagine, right, And that doesn't necessarily mean like riches and you know all this stuff, right, but it brings a flourishing. It brings in a bidy, and it brings a relationship with Jesus that you just can't put a price tag on. And that's been true in my life, and I know it's been true in a lot of other people's lives. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, maybe one other note I would add here, you know, connected to your question about a pastor who sends in a disqualifying way, I think connected to what you just shared, it really does Yeah, I think that's what I'd want to say it. It really does grieve me that we we so often. And I say this is one who's I say we because I think I've been a part of this and pastoring Egan Church in North America for twenty years. We tend to, I think, far too quickly talk about a restoration process for the sake of getting back in the job, having the job, getting back in holding office. And I must say, I actually don't think that is gracious to the soul that has sent if the carrot is dangled quickly that if you do these steps you're going to get back in your job. I just I think it presents a real temptation. And I think where we want to focus conversation about restoration is with the body of Christ. And I think with a kind of Pauline vision of how to respond to sin that is unconfessed in the community, which paul makes pretty clear about what needs to be done in Corinthians. How to respond then to sin that is confessed and to receive brother sister in Christ and the goal of restoration and right relationship with Christ and right relationship with His body like this needs to be the I think the focus of our energy and caring for those pastors and souls. I think oftentimes it's well intentioned, but I actually think it's not very caring and gracious to orient that conversation about restoration primarily around the vocation, the office, the job, I think when that's removed from the table and the conversation is about one's relationship with the Lord, one's relationship perhaps with their immediate family members that have been infected by their sin, if we're talking about in the case of adultery for example, or something like this, and one's relationship with the Body of Christ. I think there's now everything you just talked about, I think now becomes the focal point, which is, let's discover here how the Lord is going to meet you and let us come alongside you and care for you, and care for your family for the sake of your relationship with Christ, and for the sake of your family right and for the sake of your spiritual well being, and not even talk about how do we get you back in the pulpit or when are you going to get back in the pulpit, and how might you get back in the pulpit? I think the temptation of that, I think, yeah, I think it presents a real challenge for a soul that really does need to enter into simply what does it mean to meet the Lord here?
Speaker 1: I don't want to open up a can of worms here, especially at the end of the podcast, but I'm just curious, do you believe that there is a genuine path to Do you believe that restoration includes a genuine path for pastors who have fallen in those disqualifying since back to holding that office. I know we've talked about it's disqualifying in the moment and then the what you know and they are removed from office. Do you feel do you believe that the scripture support going restoring that person back to that office when there is genuine repentance. Yeah, I know, I know.
Speaker 2: No, you're fine, You're fine, You're fine. Yeah. I think i'd want to say a couple of things here. One, we're talking, I just want to acknowledge we're talking in very general terms and discernment and disqualification. I take it to be, you know, something very specific, and I take it to be the charge and task of the elders, or the presbyteria, or or whatever kind of ecclesial context we may be talking about to discern and to render a wise judgment with regard to right. I think what I would want to say is, as we pay attention to the New Testament and all the ways in which the kind of authority of that office is described, the responsibility of that office, the expected character that that office, and therefore the kind of the presumption of being above reproach, if indeed you've been found fit for that office. I often say to my students, it is very hard to become a pastor, and it actually ought to be hard in the sense of all the things I just mentioned. Right, It's about discerning a life and knowing character, and that your character has been tested and proven to be within that community, both the church community and the broader community that the church is within to be above approach. And so I take it if one actually meets that that standard of discernment and judgment, that it also ought to be difficult to become disqualified. Meaning the New Testament is clear on this. We don't just kind of take a casual criticism over email, right that there's a there's an expectation here of credible accusations and who's bringing those and how many and so on and so forth. So I take it that it ought to be, in biblical terms, difficult to hold the office in light of that, not easy to lose the office, meaning you're not disqualified because we just decided the enrollment numbers went down, you know, last year, or we're not we're not sure you have the it factor anymore, or a couple of people complain that your sermons go too long or whatever it may be, and we kind of chuckle about that. But you and I both know, John, some pastors have lost their jobs over those things, right, So I think all of that being said, I would answer your question this way. I think, if indeed you have been found to be disqualified for that off, that that standard has been met of discerning that indeed, that which was hard for you to receive, actually it needs to be taken away. I do take it that that is a kind of fixed reality of the vocation, because as I read what it means to be above reproach, I take it you are no longer above reproach as a result of the sin that is in your life. And as Paul talks about one's reputation in the community being that of above reproach, if one has been found disqualified because of sin, that now is actually known in the community, not only in the church community, but in the broader community. Right like quote, the public, so to speak, is well aware that you are a pastor who has committed adultery multiple times with members of your church. Well, again, you may have entered into a kind of restoration process your relationship with Christ and confessing sin, and your relationship with the Body of Christ and a member of the communion and then the fellowship of those saints. But would it be reasonable if you were put back in the pulpit from members of that broader community to ask, isn't that the pastor who commits adultery, and and isn't that his reputation? And is that his reputation now in the city he's in, and I think reasonably, I think it would be. And so as I read Paul about elders need to have a certain kind of reputation within their community, that's part of being above approach, I take it that once that line has crossed, that line has been crossed.
Speaker 1: Well, I didn't mean to spring it, spring that on you, Okay, it wasn't a planned question. I just kind of cave up. So but I appreciate that. And I'm going to be honest, like I'm still trying to figure out where I land on that. You know, tell the Indivision has been a guest on this podcast, right, and and yet yeah, I just I don't fully know, you know, I feel I feel like I'm settled on it one way or the other. And then I just like, my Lord help me.
Speaker 2: So well, I think maybe my final note would just be I think there's reasonable differences of opinion on this, and I think, you know, it's going to require some interpretation and discernment of how we hold the qualification passages. What does it mean to be above reproach once you've been found to not be above reproach? Is that just true of your life now. And it doesn't mean again that you have lost your salvation or you can't be a member of Christ's body. But what it does mean perhaps is you can't a office. What does it mean to say that an elder pastor must have a kind of reputation of being above approach within the community, within not only the church community, more broadly, is that just like an occasion before they take office, or is that now kind of true of their life? So these things have to be interpreted. That's but I'm giving you kind of the way I would read read those passages. Yeah, and I think appreciate it. That doesn't mean, maybe my final word would be here I have I actually have dear friends who have been found disqualified from pastoral office and no longer in pastoral ministry many years later, And what I would want to say, maybe my final word here would just be it doesn't mean they can't have a meaningful, flourishing life in Christ, and doesn't mean they can't meaningfully participate in the body of Christ as one member of that body. And what I wouldn't I think what my warning would be something like this if if the other said of the argument were to say something like, well, if they don't get back that that office, then they don't get to meaningfully participate in the church, or they don't get to exercise their gifts. And I would want to say, oh, well, there, I would just have to disagree. Right, there are many more people in the church who are not holding that office, and I don't think we want to say that they are not essential members of the body, whose gifts are critical, who play a vital role in the fellowship of the Saints. And so, in other words, what I would want to say to some of my friends who have been found as qualified, that they're still a vital part of the Body of Christ and we need them, and they play a pivotal role, and they can contribute just as meaningfully the church. I don't want to view the kind of pastoral office as the kind of exclusive place where one gets to do.
Speaker 1: That, right right, Well, Jamie, I appreciate that discussion. I appreciate. I mean, everything that you are about and that you have said is is so good. It's so important. I think this book is essential, you know, as I do retreats and as I talk about radical vulnerability, it's definitely going to be one of the texts that I recommend. I appreciate you writing it. You know, it's not like you don't write a book on pastoral confession. If you want to be a New York Times bestseller, you know you do it because God called you to do it. So so thank you for writing. If people want to grab it where and learn more about you? Where can they go? Oh?
Speaker 2: Yeah, Well, the easiest place to go is you can just go to jamingoggin dot com. My name j M I N G O G G I N dot com and you can find info in the book there, but also just other info about retreats I lead and other things I'm I'M about and so would love to love to hear from you even if you want to reach out Conte there.
Speaker 1: And if you send him a message via his website, I can confirm that he does get back to you. So it's right. And it was around Christmas time too, I think even So, Yeah, it was great Jamin. Thank you so much for joining the podcast. I appreciate you.
Speaker 2: Oh, an honor to be with you. John, grateful for the time you.
Speaker 1: See what I mean. Jamen is definitely someone that we needed to have on this podcast. I mean to talk about confession and vulnerability, and I just love how he approaches any topic really where he's not looking to give a quick answer, he's not looking to give a SoundBite. He's looking to truly pursue it from that pastoral heart. And you can tell he's had that for twenty years. And that was even evident in that final answer that he gave, which is an issue that I think is an important one to wrestle with, the one that I'm still fully wrestling with. I tend to lean one way, but I'm still not willing to say it's fully settled in my mind. But I think in the end, his thoughts and his words on confession are really important. And so there's so many good like one liners in the book. There's so many good one liners in that interview, And so please just pick up the book Pastoral Confessions. I'm going to be using it as a recommended resources resource on this topic when I talk about radical vulnerability. So yeah, go ahead and pick that up. Before that, though, I just want to say thank you to everyone who tunes in on the regular and has made this podcast what it is today. It could not be that without you, and so I thank you so very much. You can head on over to Christianalcoholic dot com and get a slew of resources that align with what I talk about here. So thank you, just wanted to just wanted to say that, and also a special thank you to our partner Life Audio, who makes this possible. If there is just one thing that resonated with you, please share this podcast, like subscribe, all those things, but really the most important thing to me is if you share it, Just share it with someone, even if there's just twenty seconds that you think is worth it. Love you all. We will see you back here next week.