Speaker 1: Welcome to today's podcast sponsored by Hillsdale College, All Things Hillsdale Hillsdale dot ed or I encourage you to take advantage of the many free online courses there, and of course I'll listen to the Hillsdale Dialogue all of them at q for Hillsdale dot com or just Google, Apple, iTunes and Hillsdale Morning Glory and even Great America. Welcome to the Big Weekend Pod. I'm Hugh Hewett. Thank you for listening. The weekend is going to be full of speculation about what President Trump did and what he didn't do, why he did what he did, and didn't do what he didn't do, and the fact of the matter is it's all premature, all of it, because we're at the end of the beginning of the showdown with the Mullis. And I'm not a big believer that their regime is going to collapse anytime soon. But I believe it can be cabined. It can be trained not to kill thousands of people, not to threaten Israel, not to threaten the President of the United States, not to engage in the export of terrorism. And the way you train it is the same way you train a vicious dog. And you hit them really, really hard and put down some of them when they've bitten too often. And we know the names and the addresses of most of the people at the top of the regime. It's a vast structure, though, a vast structure of terrorism, the vast structure of repression. If you haven't listened to Haviv Reddick Gore, ask k Aviv anything. His most recent addition is on the sober reality of the depth the defense and depth around the Ayatolahamini provided by the RGC the besiege, the police in the street, the ordinary cops, and then they imported Taliban, They imported Iraqi militias, people who spoke Arabic not Farsi, to just mow down people. So you can't underestimate what it is that the demonstrators are up against. But the civilized world ought to deliver a message that we will not accept and we will hit you every time you do something like this, even if it doesn't result in regime collapse. But I am not one of those who thinks that the president promised to act Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Tomorrow, Saturday, Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, whenever it is don't put me in the category. There's a time limit on this because there's no talon with Donald Trump, which is one of the great beauties of Donald Trump.
Speaker 2: That having been said, other people have different points of view on it. So we turned to The Big Weekend Pod with our regulars Matt Continetti and Ben Dominic and Eli Lake and of course just a little apertif actually non aperteef what do we call it? Dessert douglah Marie, a little warm up on Indiana's a likely crushing defeat in Miami on Monday Night. All that and more coming up on this The Big Weekend Pod. Thank you for tuning in. Quarner Back America.
Speaker 1: No Weekend in Review show would be complete without Matt Continetti. You can follow him on ex at Continetti, you can read him at the Wall Street Journal. He is the senior scholar at the American Enterprise Institute and Domestic Policy Studies. And I do three segments a week with Matt and if I were a Jeopardy game, this would be the segment called Iran. The segment off air today will be called Minnesota, and then category three is pot Pirie and the third segment, let's start with Iran Matt I just talked with Eli Lay. Nobody knows nothing, but what's your assessment of where we are at the end of a week of incredible brutality, such a blood soaked evil regime.
Speaker 3: Well, I think where we are is the Iranian regime is severely weakened, Hugh. It's lost the legitimacy whatever it had left among the Iranian people. The Iranian people no longer fear the regime, and as the Stanford scholar of bas Milan pointed out in The New York Times this morning in a very perceptive piece, repressive regimes need fear. Once the people lose fear, the regime is in severe trouble.
Speaker 4: And so what we're at.
Speaker 3: Right now is President Trump has said that he's not going to attack because of what he's.
Speaker 4: Heard from other of our allies, and.
Speaker 3: Also because of actions that the Iranian government has taken in delaying or not engaging in public execution and slightly pulling back on some of the most violent repression it seems. But that doesn't mean that the Iranian regime is out of the woods.
Speaker 4: Far from it.
Speaker 3: In fact, I think one reason Trump has delayed any action is we don't have all the assets in place necessary for a strike that would truly help the protesters, truly punish the Iranian government in such a.
Speaker 4: Way that it would both.
Speaker 3: Lack the capacity to suppres its own people and to retaliate against the United States in our allies. But those assets are moving. We have an aircraft carrier group moving to the region. Now we are getting other armaments and platforms in place. So I think we're at the one stage of the crisis, but that Iran will continue to dominate American foreign policy in the months ahead.
Speaker 1: I keep saying mac Conna that this is the end of the beginning of the Trump policy towards Iran. The beginning was Operation Midnight Hammer. Then he's had eight days of ramped up threats beginning on this program eight days ago, and then he kept it up sort of Sean Hannity through the weekend. Then he began to dial it back. I have no idea what he's going to do. Nothing will surprise me. But as he opened to criticism, if say, sixty days from now, nothing has happened, and the thousands who were jailed, in addition to the thousands who were killed, are still jailed, that he baited and switched the Iranian public into demonstrating.
Speaker 3: You never want to draw a red line and then back down from it, because that erodes American deterrence. And Donald Trump has built up American deterrence over the course of his two presidencies, and most spectacularly with Operation Midnight Hammer against the Iranian nuclear program, and then just two weeks ago with Aberration Absolute Resolve extracting and arresting Nicholas Madureau from Venezuela.
Speaker 4: He's built up our deterrence.
Speaker 3: So if ultimately that red line is not enforced, that would erode American deterrence, and our enemies throughout the globe would notice it and be prepared to act and exploit it.
Speaker 4: But I don't think we're there yet.
Speaker 3: I think what Trump has said is he's laid kind of the predicate that, Okay, he's changed some of the regime's behavior. He has coerced the regime into delaying these executions, into backing off some of the worst, most egregious killing, and therefore he doesn't need to enforce the red line. But I think he's going to face another crisis down the road where he'll be tasked again. Are you going to enforce the red line. The question who is what does Donald Trump want out of Iran? Donald Trump doesn't. He's not in the regime change business. He's in the regime coercion business. He wants to shape what these governments do, and in this case, what he wanted them to do was stop killing the protesters. And in larger Iranian policy, he wants a complete and verified denuclearization and massive restrictions on their missile program. If he doesn't get it through diplomacy, he's going to act militarily. We've seen that before.
Speaker 1: So thirty seconds do we go to break matt and turn to Minnesota. Well do you think Prime Minister and at Yahoo asked of him or didn't ask of him.
Speaker 3: It's hard to say, but every time you draw a red line, you have to be prepared for all the secondary consequences. And a strike on Iran by the United States would mean that the Iranians would retaliate, and that retaliation would be most likely directed to the Little Satan what the Iranians call the Israel the Jewish State. And I think we're at a place, after the Twelve Day War, after Operation Midnight Hammer, where we need to replenish our munitions, in particular our air defens It's not just Israel, but also American forces in the region and our offensive munitions, right the actual bombs that we would drop in any campaign. So it's a moment of preparation. The action may come later.
Speaker 5: Stay tuned in America. I'm going to talk with Matt Off.
Speaker 1: They are put it on the podcast and he'll be back on the other side of the break. Follow him on at CONTINENTI stay tuned. I'm back with Matt CONTINENTI Matt. I'm on special Report tonight, and if Minnesota comes up, I'm going to make the obvious point, which I don't know if any many people know. Minnesota is a wash in privately held handguns. It's an open carry state. It's a consailed carry state. The permits are shall issue permits. The ICE agents have every right to be there. The state and the local government are not cooperating.
Speaker 5: But Boyle boy Is.
Speaker 1: It's already one dead, and I think it's going to be justified force. But how dangerous a moment is this for the people in the Twin Cities and for Donald Trump.
Speaker 3: Well, it's an incredibly dangerous moment for the people in the Twin Cities, and for America's federal law enforcement Agency ICE, which is there to enforce the law, to enforce the law against illegal immigration and in particular against the legal immigrants who have committed violent crimes. You know, amidst all this debate, Hugh, you have to step back and ask who is responsible for this combustible situation. And I have to say, I don't believe it's either the government, the elected government of Donald Trump, or the agents who are trying to enforce policy in the law who are responsible for this mess we have in Minnesota. I believe it's the elected officials at the local and state level who have turned both many outs Bliss and Minnesota at large into a sanctuary for illegal migration, and who are not providing any assistance to the federal law enforcements, who are there by an elected government to actually make sure that illegal, violent criminals are taken off the streets now. And yet all of the discourse I see is placing blame on the ICE agents. I think that's a complete misallocation of responsibility. And unfortunately, no one at the state level is trying to quiet the situation.
Speaker 5: I think it'll be an issue in their governor's race this year.
Speaker 1: But I have heard that Florida has had forty thousand apprehensions by ICE without an incident, and that is because Florida assists ICE in doing their job, and I just wish that point were made more often. I do think it's a political net negative for Donald Trump.
Speaker 5: Do you agree with me, Matt?
Speaker 3: I think that you've definitely seen an uptick in people who are leery of some of ICE tactics, and you'd see people.
Speaker 4: Who are like, what's going on, but they don't like the chaos.
Speaker 3: They get into the kind of that cocoon, that crouch, that defensive crouch.
Speaker 4: Make it stop right, yep. But look, you think of twenty twenty.
Speaker 3: In the summer of twenty twenty, amidst all the rioting, people thought, oh, Trump might be hurt by all this chaos. What happened in the twenty twenty election. Republicans overperformed. Why Because at the end of the day, voters want law and order. They don't want anarchy and violence. And the anarchy and violence that we're seeing in Minnesota right now. Yeah, it might hurt Donald Trump and some of these polls we're looking at, but in the long term. If the Democrats are on the side of abolish ice and contest and open borders and allow illegal, violent criminals to remain in place, the Democrats are going to suffer from.
Speaker 1: Your word, from your lips to the ears of every voter. Stay tuned. I'll be right back with Matt Kottenetty.
Speaker 2: Well with it.
Speaker 6: To see Data has been dealing with us on Greenland. We need Greenland for national security very badly. If we don't have it, we have a big hole in national security, especially when it comes to what we're doing.
Speaker 4: In terms of the Golden Dome and all.
Speaker 6: Of the other things. We have a lot of a lot of investments in the military. We have got the strongest military in the world that is only getting stronger. And you saw that with Venezuela. You saw that with the attack on a run, with the knocking out their nuclear capabilities potentially. So yeah, we're talking to Data.
Speaker 1: We're welcome back America, President Trump on the White House lawn today, Matt Continetty is still with me from AEI and the Wall Street Journal. Matt Greenland, I made a big case for taking Greenland. On America's Newsroom with Dana Brino Bill Hemry yesterday Golden Dome aside, and that's a big deal on Golden Dome because hypersonics can come over the pole and regularly icbm's come over the pole. But because there's a two hundred and thirty mile exclusive economic zone around every one of the twenty seven thousand miles of shoreline that Greenland has, and that's fishing, and that's oil, but fishing primarily. And then today the Solect Committee on China did me a solid by putting out the report on Chinese overfishing that they are predators, they destroy environments. Do you think the message is getting past the late night comics that this is a serious issue?
Speaker 3: Hard to say, you know, it's hard to go out there and see who is in favor of Donald Trump's policy toward Greenland other than President Trump.
Speaker 4: And I mean I would like Greenland as well.
Speaker 3: I think it's extremely important geopolitically, economically, as you say, in terms of the resources, where we think about building up our stockpile of rare earth minerals, they are plentiful in Greenland.
Speaker 4: It's important.
Speaker 3: But the type of approach Trump is taking the Greenland I don't see much public support for in the polls are in Congress. Even what I do see is this a parallel between Donald Trump's approach to Greenland and the second term and his approach to NATO in the first term. Remember, Hugh, when Donald Trump started telling NATO that they needed to anti up, they need to begin contributing to the burden of defense in the European continent and in the Alliance at large, the Europeans screamed, they protested, and we were treated to endless news cycles about is Donald Trump going to destroy NATO?
Speaker 4: Donald Trump against our allies? What was the net result? They're paying, They're paying the five percent. And it was a you know, it was a difficult process. It was a contested process.
Speaker 3: But at the end of the day, NATO was stronger for the Donald Trump's intervention than it was before. I wouldn't be surprised that if the end of Donald Trump's second term, NATO is committed to Greenland's defense. There's a much larger American presence here. America has a greater role in Greenland's economy and has a.
Speaker 4: Secure foothold in it geopolitically. And that will be the result.
Speaker 3: Despite all of the battling and negotiations and crying just like we saw in the first term over defense spending overall.
Speaker 1: Now, by the time we talk again, Matt Conney, we'll be past the one year anniversary of Donald Trump's second term, so he's got first year done next Tuesday. Who's the best communicator after the President and the Vice President and Secretary of Rubio, they're one, two and three and whatever worder you want to go, Who communicates well on behalf of this administration?
Speaker 3: Well, I think Press Secretary Carolyn Levitt is a fantastic Press Secretary and an excellent communicator. I think you're looking at other cabinet members who I think Secretary Duffy at Transportation has been very good, very effective, and Secretary Hegseth has definitely achieved the goal that Donald Trump gave him at the outset of his second term, which is reinvigorate America's military. And so we see that because of Hegeset's personality and his dynamism, among other factors, a recruitment has shot back up, and the services are fulfilling their goals, and there's a real emphasis on war making rather than identity politics and environmentalism at the Pentagon, like you've seen in democratic administrations. So I think there's a wealth of talent in this cabinet. And let's not forget that Secretary Kennedy has an entire constituency all.
Speaker 4: Of his own.
Speaker 3: And the way in which they've introduced some of these dietary reforms I think has been well received in all quarters. So there's definitely a lot of communicators in this administration.
Speaker 1: But some of them have been sent to the witness Protection program. Peter Navarro comes to mind. Yes, he's been, and he puts out a column every now and then. And I've known Peter for forty years, so it's I can see him, I'm aware of him. Are there others who ought to go into the witness protection program who don't do help, don't do good by the administration's messaging?
Speaker 3: Now on the cabinet side, I mean, in addition to the individual you mentioned, of course, the d NI Chelsea Gabbard, seems to be you're right, absent from many crucial decisions. And I heard the joke in Washington that d and I now stands for do not invite, So that might that might reflect the President's view of that of that personality within the cabinet. Well, I think I think the biggest challenge facing the administration as it goes into its second term is focus.
Speaker 4: Donald Trump called himself the upgrader.
Speaker 3: In his interview with The New York Times, and I think it's a great way to think about what he's trying to do in his second term. He's trying to upgrade America, and that is not going to be easy. But when you ask American voters what they're most concerned about, it's the economy, and they really need to get to the point where their wages are not only outpacing inflation, which they've they've been doing under Trump this past year, those wage gains need to make up for all the ground we lost during Biden.
Speaker 4: Now not there yet.
Speaker 1: Some controversies are self selected with that. One of those is Senator Kelly and Secretary hag Seth. If I have I had twenty minutes with the President. They didn't ask for my advice. But if they ever did ask for my advice, I said, take everything off the table except the economy. And when you smash somebody up like Iran, don't talk about Senator Kelly, don't talk about Democrats, and get the job done.
Speaker 5: With ice without talking about it. What would your advice be.
Speaker 4: I think that's I think that's right.
Speaker 3: I think that the government can really only accomplish one thing at a time. But Donald Trumps personality is everywhere, all the time.
Speaker 4: He doesn't stop.
Speaker 3: I mean, he's renovating the East rebuilding the East Wing, He's thinking of renovating the West Wing. He's repainted the Trump Kennedy Center. He's renaming the Department of Defense to the Department of War.
Speaker 4: He closed the Southern borders.
Speaker 3: He ended the Iranian nuclear program, which the Iranian foreign minister admitted to our friend Brett Berry this week.
Speaker 4: I'm sure you notice that as well. He is the very embodiment of an activist president, just like Teddy Roosevelt.
Speaker 3: They need to focus on the economy, but that's just not in Donald Trump's DNAX.
Speaker 2: Yeah, if we just got everyone else to focus on the economy and let the president set his on agenda, that would be helpful for Republicans. I think Matt Conney, thank you stay tuned in America or any even Grace in America.
Speaker 1: The Big Weekend Pod and the Weekend Show underway, Ben Dominance showing us as we do on most Fridays when he's awake. He's got a newborn, so it's all a question of whether or not he's awake. However, with a newborn, you get to catch.
Speaker 7: Up on the late that's deeply unsair you I am. I am typically awake nineteen to twenty hours out of the day.
Speaker 5: Don't drop the baby. Don't drop the baby, That's all I would say.
Speaker 3: Ben.
Speaker 1: That means you're up in the middle of the night, so you're caught up on everything that happened with Iran this week.
Speaker 2: I'm starting there and we might we might end there as well. On a half an hour.
Speaker 7: What do you think, Well, personally, I think that the President was trying to send the signal and he did. I don't know that it's going to result in the effectuation of what he'd like to achieve. But look, I think that we're dealing right now with the situation that is basically unprecedented, certainly in my lifetime, and is closer to the kind of upheaval that could lead to a regime change there that we than we have seen in the past, and certainly under Obama where we saw the Green Revolution and everything that led to we have seen so much in terms of the bad decisions of past presidencies relates to Ron and so we have a glimpse of possibility here, but we're also operating. I think, Hugh in in really a dearth of internal knowledge to a greater degree than we've had with a lot of other conflicts, a lot of other protests, and I think that that hampers our ability to analyze the situation, just given the fact that there are so many moving parts, there are so many people involved, and we don't really have a clear indication of what is going to come next. Now we have seen a number of different you know, other parties, wigh in, We've seen the you know, the simple facts that I think, you know, the the presence, the continued presence of the ability of the Iranians to access outside internet, you know, capabilities which you know, the regime has obviously attempted to crack down on and has had hit or miss success with. Is is really you know a major factor here, because the more that the world and see what's going on inside Iran, the more that you can see reactions from the various parties involved. And I think a big open question about all of this is what the Chinese think whether they think this is a possibility of a situation where in a transactional relationship they need to make a determination that this is not something where we need to get heavily involved, or whether it's one where they want to lean in on this relationship, believe in this regime, believe that it's going to maintain its previous power, and that's something that I think is still an.
Speaker 1: Open question now, Ben Dominic, I didn't begin the segment as I should by saying, you host the Big Ben Pod every week and I've saved it. I haven't listened to it this week yet because I've saved it for a long trundle tomorrow morning, and I don't know if you've talked about it yet. So if you did, pardon me, President Trump, we could go on this program on Sean Hannity's program and a poll aside with Tony Deakoppold online gave the appearance of an imminent strike to the extent that we already see online taco and President Trump chicken out. I think that's deeply unfair because I think we're at the end of the beginning of the first year of Donald Trump and Iron and Operation midnight Hammer buys you a lot of credibility, and I think you might get a window of two months before you can say even begin to argue he led people into the streets where they got killed on the false premise that he was going to act. Did you cover that?
Speaker 5: What do you think of that charge that is online already about the president?
Speaker 7: I covered that extensively and had an interview with Ben and Ben Tellablue, who you may have fought, Oh, yes, very good FDD on this same topic at length. And one of the things that I think is clear is that, you know, the president has used in the past his unpredictability to greater effect. Whether that's going to turn out the same in this situation, I think is a riskier prospect. The other thing to keep in mind is that the president has run up toward something some things like this in the past and then pulled back. He also, you know, has had the potential of pulling back and then pulled the trigger. I mean, you know, you know how quickly we forget the idea that, oh, I'm going to think about it for the next two weeks as it relates to the Iranian nuclear program, you know, And that's the kind of attitude that the president has, and I'm not entirely sure that we can say, as you know, analysts looking at this situation and relying as we do on sources who are both within and around the administration, that this was a situation where that was as imminent as he seemed to indicate. You know, it could be posturing, It could be posturing to effect. But look, this is a scenario where I think a lot of people are very much bullish on the idea that this is a broad based revolt against the regime. It's not just something that is confined to one sector or to one aggrieved part. The inflation concerns, the middle class concerns, or i should say, perhaps the merchant class concerns regarding everything that's going on in the economy, in addition to the opposition generally to the regime's posture towards the West and the and the willingness of this next generation of Iranians to be more open to the West is something that is very real and we shouldn't pretend like it isn't. But that doesn't mean that this is going to be a situation where you see, you know, potentially, you know, people who are going to willingly go into exile or or leave the kind of leadership behind. It's also a situation where I think we have to pay a lot of attention to what the IRGC is doing and whether they are going to be, you know, effectuating the kind of killings that we've seen them do just ad nauseum, you know, without any kind of pre prevention. Uh, without you know, any kind of pushback from protesters who are unarmed and who are incapable of defending themselves and unable at this point to get their message out.
Speaker 1: We haven't not seen anything like this, Ben, and I use my term not seeing anything since Tannaman Square, which we did not see, right, we know what happened, but we did not see it, And we know what happened here, but we did not see it. I'm not sure America ever responded appropriately to Tianeman or or reacted appropriately to the Chinese Communist Party thereafter. Do you think that we ought to release whatever video comes out as soon as the Internet opens up, because it will be as yas Realise said, yashare relasaid, there's going to be an avalanche of these videos once they're reconnected.
Speaker 5: I want them everywhere.
Speaker 7: I completely agree with that, and I think that it's something that is in the American interest to do so, but also in the interest of the world. One thing that we should understand is how much this is a This is a destabilizing element, you know, not just in terms of American interests in the Middle East or the interests of Israel or the interests of our allies. Is something that I think really reshapes the globe. You have so many connections that Iran has had, and you have this unique moment where it has lost its proxy in Venezuela. It has lost so much support that it can depend upon. In the past, it has had its nuclear programs set back in an embarrassing way. It has had its military proxies across the Middle East set back. And this is truly, I think, a unique moment where something like this might actually work. And you know, look, we're not talking about American and regime change. That is not what we are embarked upon. We are not attempting to remake Iran in any way. This is something that is coming from inside and supporting it from the outside is something that is in America's interest and it is in the interest by the way of a lot of decrepit European powers, whether they want to acknowledge that or not. And that's something that I think has to result in a change in behavior on the part of leadership. And so much of what the President has done in this second term is about breaking open the assumptions on the part of foreign policy bigwigs and experts that have dated back decades about what was possible. And he's done this in so many different regards, and this could be another example of that. It could also be a situation where unfortunately, once again, the brutality of a horrible regime that has subjugated as people and is willing to kill them in the tens of thousands in order to maintain their control is just reasserts itself in a very bloody way.
Speaker 1: Now, I'm going to talk about decrepit European regime during the break when Denmark and Greenland come up with Ben. But before we go there, we got two minutes.
Speaker 6: Ben.
Speaker 1: What about simply saying it not the opportunity, not an excuse, but simply saying there are standards which, if you're not a superpower, will evoke a response from the West. And here's the response. Blow up carg Island, blow up IOGC head quarter. If you do this, this will follow a way of training the regime kind of called it regime coercion, not regime change. Regime coercion. I think that would be good hygiene for the world.
Speaker 7: I think it would be good hygiene. But I'm not sure the president is willing to roll the dice on that he likes so much, these targeted things where there is a very clear goal point, of very clear progression, and I'm not sure that he's willing to go down this road of picking targets and going after them in such a way. Perhaps he is. That to me would represent a bit of a break with his personality as it relates to these things where he just likes binaries. He likes do does the Iranian nuclear program exist or not? Is Maduro in charge of Venezuela or not? And in the sense of the IRGC, you could you can bomb a lot of things.
Speaker 2: Certainly that plays why carg Island comes to mind. Is carg Island sending any oil to the world or not?
Speaker 7: I mean, that's that's perhaps if you could be convinced that that it's a binary that would result in the change. Then I think perhaps that argument from Bacon that he could work, don't.
Speaker 5: Go anywhere America.
Speaker 2: I'm going to talk with Ben during the break about Greenland and Denmark decrepit here in European Regime column, and then we're coming back and talk about Ice and the brave men and women thereof, and the crazy lunatics who are putting into the Twin Cities no matter.
Speaker 5: How bold it gets.
Speaker 1: Stay here, Ben Dominich. I like Denmark. I like the Little Mermaid statue. I think it's quaint. They were alongside of us in Afghanistan for a long time, eighteen thousand deployed there.
Speaker 5: They have twenty ships.
Speaker 2: Greenland has got twenty seven thousand miles of coastline, and out from those twenty seven thousand miles of coastline extends an exclusive economic zone of two hundred and thirty miles that they can't protect from even Chinese predatory fishing practices, which are our legend.
Speaker 5: Do you think people are taking this seriously.
Speaker 2: Enough, because it's beyond hypersonics and Golden Dome, there's a lot of reason to put Greenland under our umbrella.
Speaker 7: Well, I think that people don't really understand this and this is a defect of you know, both American education and the way that people, you know, commit absolute crimes when it comes to the depiction of Trumpian ideas as being high falutin and out of out of the realm of possibility. Is absolutely in the American security interest to have Greenland protected and to have it under our security umbrella, There's no question about it. And I think in anticipation of the kind of conflicts that we could potentially see in the future, it is perhaps essential to that type of protection to have some type of security agreement with the Danes and with and with Greenland would be from my perspective, the ideal, I don't necessary. I don't think that an annexation or anything along those lines is necessary, but I do think that we need to have them, you know, essentially under our overarching umbrella in order to protect them and protect our own security. Understanding that you know, look the climate and uh and what is going to happen in the Arctic Circle in the future. It's going to be one where this becomes all the more important. And the discussion about this has turned into this kind of fanciful late night talk show. They're making fun of everything you know associated with it. I think it's deeply serious. I think it's incredibly important. It's it's as important I would say, it's saying, you know, does Hawaii matter to the United States? Of course, Hawaii matters the United States. You know, the idea that we're not going to have, you know, a projection of the of the well exactly. I mean, this is just like it's madness to pretend like this doesn't matter. It obviously does, and to tend and turn around and turn this into some kind of fanciful discussion is absurd and unseerious. But then I mean we're used to that by maw.
Speaker 1: Now when you write for the Transfoer or the Spectator, have you written at length about it? Because I don't know that anyone really has written at length about Greenland from a serious standpoint.
Speaker 7: You know, I've dodged off various things, But you're right, I probably should do something longer. And perhaps I can use that as an excuse for a vacation after the baby is it sticks on, don't take the baby the Greenland.
Speaker 5: Don't take your wife to Greenland.
Speaker 7: Oh, this would be this would be an entirely cold escapism on my no.
Speaker 5: I spent it here in Iceland one weekend. No, don't do that.
Speaker 2: I'll be right back with Ben Dobbin at Stay Tuned Minneapolis.
Speaker 5: Our own Greenland is next. Welcome back, America.
Speaker 1: I'm go Hewett, joined by Ben Dominic, host of the Big Ben podcast, which you got to listen to. I'll be listening to it on my long trundle this weekend. It's Fox Podcast. It's also wherever podcasts are available. Read Ben at the Spectator, where he's an editor at large.
Speaker 5: Read him at the Transom on substack. Ben.
Speaker 1: Most people listen to the show know that I came to shot twenty five years ago after a decade of being one of the co hosts of the nightly news and public affairs show for the PBS affiliate in LA and Casey et and almost weekly and sometimes almost nightly. We were talking about whether or not the use of force by the police of LA or the Sheriff's Department in the County of Los Angeles was appropriate.
Speaker 7: It was.
Speaker 1: It was Rodney Kings decade, and so that was every night we went through like police chief after police chief after police chief, Gates and Bernie and Willie, they just they kept coming because no one could get it right.
Speaker 7: Now, Chevy, is hev correct me if I'm wrong? Is he the last president who did the Insurrection Act?
Speaker 1: I don't know he did do the Insurrection Act for the riots that was my first second month in TV.
Speaker 7: Yes, yeah, yeah, I think he did. I believe he's the last one to do it, all right, So forgive me for interrupting.
Speaker 5: No, Well, we take that experience.
Speaker 1: And now I'm up north where I know Minnesota through the State Fair and radio bits with I am twelve eighty the Patriot Friends and Minnesota and ice is real.
Speaker 5: It's real.
Speaker 2: It's the different place up there, and now it's got this.
Speaker 1: It just doesn't add up that the LA storylines are now suddenly in the Twin Cities. And I put it down to over indexing for buffoonery in leadership.
Speaker 5: What do you put it down to?
Speaker 7: Well, I think that that is part of it. But I also think, and my friend Ryan Gardeski has pointed out that if you add up, if you tabulate the arrests and deportations from Minnesota over the course of the past year, meaning that the second Trump term, it amounts to approximately, according to estimates, around two percent of the population of illegal immigrants in the state. That may sound small to people, that's actually a huge amount. And I think that what that has done, given that that is an outside number of people who are participants in the democratic side of the politics of the States, it has exacerbated the more extreme elements of the Democratic Party there in ways that are some that have been somewhat unpredictable, but now seem to be consistent with a very violent and I would say more akin to what we are used to seeing in Portland and in Seattle, you know, in the kind of behavior of these Upper Northwest progressive echelons. That's something that we're now seeing in Minnesota to a greater degree. And it doesn't I don't think it's going to stop. I only think it's going to escape.
Speaker 2: Well, I agree, But here's here's the question that happened.
Speaker 1: The little bit of Rodney King tape that we had thirty years ago, thirty five years ago, the little bit now it was bad, it was black and white, it was dark at night, and the beating it.
Speaker 2: We compare that with thirty years later. We have every five different angles on everything that happens.
Speaker 7: Everybody's different iPhone angle to analyze at links you know, on CNN, et cetera. And that's going to lead inevitably to people having different opinions and different perspectives on things. But one thing that I do think you look, I said that this was a tragedy in part because you know, and I don't I don't say that blaming you know, the ice officer involved, but just because I think that this is something that is inevitably going to happen more frequently, and that leftist people have been infected with this mind virus that says that they need to be, you know, reactionary opponents of law enforcement in the public square. And I follow enough leftists to see this thing playing out on a daily basis.
Speaker 1: Well should they that's the question. Should Ice retreat because what has happened in Minneapolis is now marked as a place for the lunatics to assemble and try to seattle Portland in a new place, and because local government won't help you, you should retreat for a while because it could escalate, it could be become la again.
Speaker 7: I don't think you can afford to retreat. I think this is too significant of an issue, and I think that it's incumbent upon you, in fact, as law enforcement, as enforcers of our nation's immigration laws, to continue to do so, even in the face of people who are absolutely nuts, and will that lead to pain and to potential more tragedy in the future. It will, but only if these reactionarias continue to make the choices that they are making. But you can't let you cannot allow this to be determined by the people who are willing to run over ICE agents in order to prevent them from doing their jobs.
Speaker 1: I'm glad to hear you saying this, but there is a Heckler's vetail that doesn't exist. But this is an open carry state, it's a concealed carry state. The ICE agents are in real danger from the lunatics and what the is.
Speaker 7: But I just think I think you that you can't avoid this. This has been a question that has been for time and again. The reason that the left has won on questions like this is because they are willing to be more extreme and to do more violence to people who are just wearing the badge with a flag on their shoulder, just trying to do their jobs. And we can't afford to have that as a nation anymore. And I as a generation, refuse to accept this type of Boomer methodology that says that everything is can't state all over again. This is ridiculous. I mean, we have a we deserve to have a community where laws are enforced, and that is true across the United States of America. And I do not think we should be ashamed to argue for that.
Speaker 5: I've been hit. I've been hit by the Boom radiology that.
Speaker 2: They got it down.
Speaker 7: No, they just want to turn everything into.
Speaker 4: No.
Speaker 2: It's true, Gosh, you got me, you wing me with the Boomer stuff. It is true that we are all captives of.
Speaker 1: The experience that we grow up with and we memorize I memorize Rodney King in the decade thereafter. But if we don't enforce the law, they're just gonna It's like when there was a revival at the Christian College in Kentucky. Every revival attracted person across the country went there, so they had to shut it down, which was okay and easy to do because they were evangelical Christian. Here you've got every lunatic in the country going to the twin seenties.
Speaker 7: It is a flare up in the air for everybody to come. And from my perspective, it's like you can't run away from that, you can't dodge that. Because then the lesson that they take is every time we throw up a flare, we can turn this thing around. We can scare the people we are trying to enforce the law, we can scare the politicians involved. And look, we have a president who's in his second term, he's not running again. He is as invested in this as he is in any other area of domestic policy. And I think this is the moment to lean in and say the law actually matters, It really does, and maybe that's inconvenient for your mindset now, and we don't care.
Speaker 5: If what stock on ice is here, we're going to break it up.
Speaker 7: Look, I really I really do think, I really do think that this is a situation where, you know, as much as we can harden the target when it comes to ice, we should be doing so. And that's something that you know, I hope that this administration is doing because they should understand that this is uh, this is the beginning of this, not the end, and it's not going to go away in the next couple of years.
Speaker 2: Is DHS communicating well, we have forty sevens.
Speaker 7: I you know what, here's a here's a good answer to that question. I'm efforting Tricia McLaughlin to come back on the next Big Ben show. We can talk about whether they are whether they are delivering that message effective.
Speaker 2: She's everywhere. I don't know that the point she is making are tight enough.
Speaker 7: I think I think there there needs to be uh, there needs to be some some support. It's a supporting mechanism because a lot of this she's out there on an island.
Speaker 5: That's well she is.
Speaker 2: She is out alone survivor. Yeah, but that means you have to do every show every day and it exact wears on you. Ben Dominis, thank you. Follow him at exit b Dominic and go get the Big Ben podcast. Come right back to the You Do It Show, Morning Glory and even Grace America.
Speaker 1: What a week of news and what a great place to have John ellis founder and editor in chief of News Items to be at the top of the week in Review because John covers everything that I haven't paid attention to. I've been focused on Iran with like a squirrel over there of Minnesota and a squirrel over there of Greenland And back to Iran John. When I got your show notes for today from news Items, I felt like I had to read the opening one. In my NFL feature films from the sixties, Voice on a BLUs treet November Day, assess the.
Speaker 2: Turboprop flew over Pennsylvania at five thousand meters in crosswinds of up to seventy nine. It was wonderfully written. Tell people about this the little cessa and could, and why.
Speaker 5: It was doing what it did.
Speaker 8: There's a company called Overview Energy, and their mission is to beam electricity from moving aircraft down to receivers on the Earth. And there's an engineering journal that published this story that you just read the lead of that told the tale of basically the oval right flight of Overview Energy. It was flying over Pennsylvania. It successfully beamed electricity down to receivers from the ground from a moving aircraft. And while other companies, and you know, major companies are doing this, this is sort of a little engine that could kind of story, and it is the beginning of what I think will be an enormous industry, which is satellites, drones, moving aircraft of all kinds. It's beaming electricity down from space into receivers on Earth with obviously limitless solar power driving the whole thing.
Speaker 1: Well, that wasn't obvious to me until I read the story, But now that it's explained to me, if you can get a collector up above the clouds and just take the solar energy direct and beam it down to Earth, that is limitless energy.
Speaker 5: Correct.
Speaker 8: And you know, my guess would be that Elon Musk would be the leader in this because he already has, however, many tens of thousands of satellites in the orbit, and he keeps sending up tens of thousands more. So Musk is probably the leader. But I'm sure there are other companies Google and others that are that are looking at this, and obviously, with data centers eating up so much power, it's really important that we find new sources of electricity. And beaming sun powers or power essentially up from space down to Earth would take an enormous pressure off prices of electricity for all of us, and it's something to watch.
Speaker 5: I have an overview energy.
Speaker 1: My hat is off to you, and I'll keep my eyes on the sky for assessmas so I don't get sunburned. Let's go to the second one which I understood pretty easily because I know about steel dumping from Reagan erad days what the Chinese did. But why don't you explain because I hadn't made the parallel comparison to AI, which of course makes sense to me.
Speaker 8: Again, Well, the steel thing, as you know, the China generated massive overcapacity and steel output and then they dumped it onto the market, and the point of that was to put American steel industry and other steel industries out of business, essentially make it prohibitive for them for US steel and others to be successful. And of course, and that they're followed steel plant after steel plant folding in the US. The concerning is that they were going to do the same thing with AI. That they have AI platforms that aren't quite as sophisticated as the ones that the US has developed, but they're close enough for government work, if you will, and all sorts of companies will use them because they'll be cheaper, and China will price them much much cheaper than what the US companies will will charge, and so by undercutting them on price, they will make all of this investment that the US tech companies have made into server farms and data servers. They will, they will cut their knees off. Essentially, Well, yeah, I live.
Speaker 5: I lived with John.
Speaker 1: I grew up in Warren, Ohio in the heart of the Steel Valley, and first United Steel went down, and then Republic and then copper Weld, and they kept going until it was a steel desert. They were all closed. All the sites are still there. A couple of special these deals are back. But when it hits, it hits you very very quickly, and all of a sudden, an industry that was driving the whole economy and part of the state and Pennsylvania as well, is gone.
Speaker 2: So do the AI barons realize that there's.
Speaker 1: A wolf at the door. I think you froze John as the wolf was at the door. It so I can go back and do my NFL voice again while we wait for John to come back, because that really did read like an NFL. You got to remember forty for sixty with Joe Minnesota Vikings. Oh it Shoe's last name, Minnesota Vikings quarterback. When he comes back on We're going to talk about this because I'm going to read it to you what he had to say. Chinese AI startup Deep Seek is expected to launch its next generation AI model that features too strong that features strong coding capabilities in coming weeks. According to two people with direct knowledge of the plan, the new model, the V four, is a successor to the V three model deep Seek released in December twenty twenty four. Initial tests done by deep Seek employees based on the company internal benchmarks, showed that it outperformed existing models such as Anthropics claude An Open AI's GPT series encoding. Two people said, so if they do to AI what China did, China does to AI. What China did is steal the AI barons. Oh you're back, John. So do the AI barons know that the Chinese wolf is.
Speaker 5: At the door?
Speaker 8: Oh yeah, No, Microsoft, you know, made a big announcement about it this past week.
Speaker 7: Uh.
Speaker 8: And you know, the fight of the competition, the space race, if you will, between Chinese and US tech companies to you know, develop the best AI. UH makes everyone enormously nervous because so much money is being expended and if that investment is stranded, Uh, the disaster follows.
Speaker 5: Well, you know, and you sent me later in the day.
Speaker 1: One of the famed UH forecasts put out a pretty good forecast based on AI investment. But that's counterintuitive given what you just told me, and the AI bubble.
Speaker 5: Is of concern. Do you think the economists for being factored this into his forecast at four percent plus GDP growth, even with the drags of terrorists and everything else.
Speaker 8: I think I think he's assuming that it will work out. So if you do assume that it will work out, and that the US tech companies are clever and adaptive and you know it can figure out a way to avoid the full in well did it again, then then the process is, you know positive. Let's put it that way.
Speaker 1: Let's merge the last two together, because I think they explain a lot. One is all time record high of US adults register at independent forty five percent, and the NEA has come out with a crazy identitarian driven grammar book, and I think that's one of the reasons that Democrats can't grow, is that they've gone over the left edge. Not sure about the Republicans. What do you think about those two together? John ellis.
Speaker 5: Well my podcast.
Speaker 8: My occasional podcast partner Joe Klein wrote a great column this week, and when he talked about the identity politics of Democrats, of the Democrats and how it will always prevent them from being successful. And it goes back to what I think is the most important advertisement of the twenty twenty four campaign, which is the Trump campaign ad that said, Kamala Harris, she's for them, Donald Trump, He's for you. That sort of perfectly captured all of the problems that the Democrats have, and it's one reason why the party I d amongst the electorate for Democrats has declined so dramatically.
Speaker 1: Did you and Joe get you how the Minnesota story is going to impact, if at all, because I have concerned as hurting Republicans. Those concerns were in the Wall Street Journal today. On the other hand, a lot of Maga Republicans say, no, that's actually Minnesota buffoonery over indexing for blue cities and blue states, and it's going to help us.
Speaker 8: What do you think, I think it hurts the Trump you know, Trump White House. I think that the video is you know, for a lot of people, is really really troubling, and it's particularly troubling I think amongst the independent voters. And in order to be successful in the midterm elections, Republicans are going to have to do very very well among independent voters. So I think net net it's a negative or team goop.
Speaker 5: So the Independent.
Speaker 1: Is it fair to say they were very concerned about an open border and they're also very concerned about over zealous ICE agents.
Speaker 5: Is that a fair summary?
Speaker 9: Yeah, I think so.
Speaker 5: I mean, I think that the.
Speaker 8: Concern about the border was not universal, that the large majorities were concerned about the Biden administration's essentially open border policy, and part of that was the ventinal crisis that had done so much damage. But this ICE action in Minneapolis has been I think detrimental to the Republican comes always.
Speaker 5: Good to talk with John Ellis.
Speaker 2: News Items is the only newsletter you need every morning Monday through Friday, and once on the weekends. Look up News Items John Ellis, It's on.
Speaker 5: Substat Thank you, John. I'll be right back America with Eli La.
Speaker 4: I need to hear at show.
Speaker 7: Well.
Speaker 10: President Trump has been clear he will not, nor should the international community, tolerate innocence being slaughtered in the streets since nineteen seventy nine. For decades, the regime has posed a threat to peace and security in the name of religious ideology. The regime calls for death to America and the annihilation of it.
Speaker 5: Welcome back in America.
Speaker 1: That was Ambassador Michael Waltz, the Ambassador of the United States the United Nations. I am joined now by Eli Lake. Eli is the host of the Breaking History podcast. He is a contributor to the Free Press. This week he was on a commentary podcast that was very informative, and he is one of a handful of people that I actually call expert on the Islamic Republic of Iran. So I'm not even going to ask you a question, Eli, I'm going to give you the floor to tell the audience as the weekend, a watchful weekend begins, what ought they to be looking for and thinking about?
Speaker 11: Well, I keep want to cut back to something, which is that, first of all, I don't know that the regime has days after that there will be a dramatic moment over the weekend or next week, but I do think that we're in the beginning of the end.
Speaker 4: It's not entirely.
Speaker 11: Applicable as an analogy, but it's important to remember the Islamic Revolution that resulted in the current Islamic Republic of Iran really begins on January Tewod nineteen seventy eight, and it is a full year until the Shah leaves and then Homini comes and returns to Iran sadly, So I would not think about this in terms of the next few days and in our incredibly short attention span right now we have a sort of geopolitical attention deficit disorder. I think that there's no coming back from it. You're right, you're right, yeah, right, And I just don't think. And I would say that all the things that came out in the last week, and there's so much news it's worth looking at. It's in Farsi, but there's their translation. It's making the rounds. You can see it everywhere. But it's a woman calls into an overseas kind of chat show that is a run by members of the run in Daspra. She I think credibly claims that she is the daughter of a senior Revolutionary Guard core commander.
Speaker 4: You can tell that she is on the brink.
Speaker 11: She's asking for information to get to the Hague or to have somebody arrest.
Speaker 4: Or kill her father.
Speaker 5: That is how serious it is.
Speaker 11: And then she goes on to describe what they are doing to people who have been caught protesting. She describes what was done to her and her friends when they protested. The last big time you saw these national uprising with the Women Life Freedom Movement, and it's really disturbing because this is obviously a family.
Speaker 1: Now, you know, I got to ask you about that because I have to remember that in every one of them, I did see that. I did listen to it the entire subtext. It was in Farsi, and I had to read the subtitle, but I did not repost it because with AI and with expatriot diaspora polemics, I didn't know if I could trust it because it's so disturbing. If it's true, it's the daughter of a IRGC commander who had her beaten and I had to watch people get shot.
Speaker 5: If it's true, it's horrific. How did you judge it credible?
Speaker 11: I judge it credible because I've heard similar kinds of things really for the last twenty years, which is that these internal families divides that oftentimes the children of particularly elites in the IRGC the Revolutionary Guard Corps have been caught up.
Speaker 4: And you've seen versions of this.
Speaker 11: I mean, former President's daughters were we're protesting in two thousand and nine, and so it rang true to me in that respect, I felt like you could even though I don't speak fluent, I don't speak Farsi, but her emotional trauma sounded real. It sounded like somebody who had was, you know, kind of experiencing a kind of break and her conscience could no longer allow her. Or really, I mean, it's again, it's tragic. You're rivet to not trust things. It's riveting. But I bring it up not because right, you're right that it's impossible to verify these things. I bring it up though, because I think that's a real dynamic that's going on. So when we're trying to understand how long the regime will last, you have to remember every single one of these thugs that sit atop this kind of hierarchy of oppression has a family, and they have neighbors, and they have friends who themselves are probably they know they hate them. So I just I just bring that up because I think it's something that's a very real dynamic.
Speaker 1: Well, it rings a bill for me that during the Iraq in the Afghan Wars, whenever we would kill someone, the Left would say, if you kill someone, you create four or five new insurgents.
Speaker 5: And I always thought not if it was a bad guy.
Speaker 1: I do believe if you execute a civilian marching in the streets with a machine gun or a gun to that, I do believe that their family is forever anti regime and that is a cumulative.
Speaker 5: Trauma on Iran.
Speaker 1: Now, I've been calling this week the end of the beginning, which I thought started in June with Operation mid Night Hammer. Whatever Trump does now will be the exclamation point. And I give him weeks, if not two months, to actually follow through on the threat, because those tens of thousands of people who are arrested, they're still an Irvin prison and everywhere else in Tehran that they imprisoned dissidentce yep. So are you ruling out Trump doing anything this weekend or next weekend or next month.
Speaker 11: Well, I mean, if you're going to read the tea leaves that he posted a couple hours ago that he thanked the regime for canceling, what do you say? It's something eight very high number of eight hundred executions have I don't know if that number is correct. It's certainly true that they postponed some executions. At the same time, I would like to see some non kinetic options deployed. We know that the regime is sending their mouthpieces on international media. Let's take down their internet. Let's make sure that we flood Iran with the starlink based stations. Let's start publicizing the accounts of regime elites and then freezing those accounts.
Speaker 5: Well, what about the medium and make them a conetic.
Speaker 1: They've murdered six thousand people if I used the mean right, six thousand people? Ought we not to say every time you do this, we're going to do at least this, and yes the cyber yes, the not gonna and then blow up carg Island or take out some missile.
Speaker 2: I know that there's a second or consequence to Israel, which does give me pause. But ought they not to receive some kind of a message from the world that they can't act?
Speaker 5: Yeah, savages.
Speaker 11: Every province has an i ergy and BESIEG headquarters building top of the list. You could we could wipe them out in a couple hours. What do you think that that would send a huge message?
Speaker 1: And every time they do something yet we see what do you do you think Israel is at risk if we do that.
Speaker 11: I think that Israel has I think there's a potential again, we could see barrages of ballistic missiles and Israel doesn't have them the air defense to take care of that, and then yes, there could be some risk there. My sense is that the Israelis would take the uncertainty and the damage of a kind of last flail of the Iranian regime if it helped hasten its collapse.
Speaker 4: And I hope, I hope we're.
Speaker 11: Seeing that, and I do think that we're I think it's a good way to put at the beginning of the end.
Speaker 1: I hope that you will continue to show up on commentary and write for the Free Press, Eli and maybe do a new Breaking history on regime collapse.
Speaker 2: There's regime change, there's regime evolution, which is.
Speaker 1: Venezuela, and then there's regime collapse, which is what we want to see in Iran. Eli Lake can be followed on ex at Eli Lake and at the Breaking History podcast and at the Free Press.
Speaker 5: Stay tuned. Welcome back, America. I'm Hugh hewittt.
Speaker 1: It is the end of the college football season. On Monday night, Doug lay Maries is here for the Friday Football Forecast. Most Fridays during the college football season. Doug, Who's the co host of the Bill and Doug Show. Bill anddougosu dot substack dot com joins me and Doug. I have got my Indiana University tie here, which I'll be wearing on Special Report tonight because I got a root for the Big Ten team.
Speaker 5: What do you think what's going to be Monday Night?
Speaker 12: So Bill and I did our picks today and we are divergent here. I really think Indiana is going to finish the thing off you. I really think that Indiana is a more complete team and the idea of three straight Big Ten champs Michigan, Ohio State, Indiana, it's a new era in college football. Indiana is favored by eight and a half in this game against Miami.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 12: Miami's kind of new too. They haven't won a national title since two thousand and one, and we all remember that you once upon a time, they were a dominant force in college football. It's great to have him back, but Indiana's never been in a spot like this, and I like that who's your chances Monday Night?
Speaker 1: I read a long take from ESPN that they're the older of the two clubs and that Kurt Signetti has certain metrics that he looks for like the guardrails the Browns use, which haven't really work.
Speaker 5: Where's the coaching edge in this matchup, Doug Marie.
Speaker 12: Yeah, kurtzigneity is a coaching monster.
Speaker 7: Like it.
Speaker 12: I don't know that we've seen you. Just look for comparisons on this what he's done. I think you have to give him the edge. But one of the interesting things here is Corey Heatherman, who's the defensive coordinator at Miami, and certainly Mario CHRISTENP. Ball is the head coach of Miami like a loyal hurricane, and to bring them back after two decades does a great job by Mario Christi Ball. But Corey Heatherman the defensive coordinator for Miami. They hired him from Minnesota, but he once upon a time was the defensive coordinator for Kurt Signetti at James Madison.
Speaker 4: So this is what it's like.
Speaker 12: It's like a spy novel. You if you are trying to take down Kurt Signetti, what would you do? You'd want somebody who'd been on the inside. And Miami's defensive coordinator worked for two years for Kurt Signetti, so he knows what Kurt Signetti likes to do. He and the Indiana defensive coordinator right now, Brian Haynes, are very good friends. They're both up for the award for the Best Assistant Coaching College Football. So Corey Heatherman for Miami has an idea of how these Signetti Indiana guys think, and it's like.
Speaker 4: Could that matter?
Speaker 12: I don't know if anybody can beat Kurt Signetti, but you want to think like him if you're going to try.
Speaker 7: To beat him.
Speaker 5: Now, Doak?
Speaker 2: I got two questions I got to get in a short period of time.
Speaker 5: One in the off season.
Speaker 1: I hope the Bill and Doug Show is going to continue on as often a basis as it has been because I've become kind of addicted.
Speaker 5: Is that going to happen?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 12: But football, come on, Hugh, ball is three sixty five, man, This football never sleeps. We're not going anywhere.
Speaker 4: We got plenty to talk about.
Speaker 1: Well, that's because the game has changed so much. Which brings me to mister Mendoza. I also read a profile of him. He's a little bit otherworldly. He's almost too perfect. You want your daughter to marry him? Kind of perfect?
Speaker 5: Is he for real?
Speaker 10: It is?
Speaker 4: I think he is for real?
Speaker 12: And sometimes you got to be honest. Sometimes when a guy's so nice, it's like, is that what you want from a football player? Football player should have an edge. Football players got to be a little crazy. But like Fernanda Mendoza is this guy, but he also balls out and so sometimes those are my favorite guys that you could have a like a philosophical conversation off the field and then when he gets on the field. He took a hit in the in the first play of the Big Ten title game against Ohio State. I thought he was out. Yes, he was knocked on his face. I thought I thought they would take him out on a stretcher, and he got up, missed one play and came back in. So I do think he's for real. He's a different kind of guy, but his teammates rally around him, and Hugh we've seen different personalities from quarterbacks. If your teammates love you, however you do it. If your teammates love you and you put your yourself on the line for your team, you're in a pretty good spot.
Speaker 4: As a QB.
Speaker 1: All right now, Doug is picking Indiana for Monday Night, and I want to ask you the second question. Dante Mori is going back to the Ducks, and that means the Jets are screwed and they get the second pick. And Dane Brugler, Warren Ohio born and Raige and still working out of Warren, Ohio, has projected Arville Reese number two to the Jets.
Speaker 5: What do you think about that?
Speaker 12: Yeah, yeah, so, I mean there might be four or four or five o'high state guys in the top twenty of this draft. You so like Rvel Reeves. It's sort of this modern era. He's a Micah Parsons potentially type of player, which we know how impactful he was for Dallas, got traded to Green Bay this year. You can be a linebacker, but then you can also rush the passer and get up on the edge. This versatility can really matter. It's hard, Hugh, because again you look at it from a Browns perspective. Great, you have all Miles Garrett. What better player could you have the Miles Garrett? But you don't have quarterbacks. You're not going to win. So like, if you don't have a quarterback, you're still not going to get over the top. But you want to build up and fortify your team around it. Rvel Reeves from the same kind of lineage high school is Troy Smith, the Heisman Trophy winner, Ted gen Junior. These great guys who have come through Glenville High School in Cleveland. Tremendous player, great young man, and I'd take him. But just if you're the Jets, you still got to find a quarterback somewhere.
Speaker 2: So did Bill Landis pick Miami because of their remarkable defensive line crushing mister Mendoza.
Speaker 5: Is that why he went that way in part, but.
Speaker 12: Also their offensive line and the way that they have a big thing. They're big and physical on both sides of the line for Miami, and the way that Miami ran the ball against Ohio State four yards, five yards, six yards, like not necessarily explosive, but reliable. They have the really big tackles, all acc guard like they're they're old and big, and so Indiana's defensive front is really good. They do a lot of their best work kind of with different looks and like keeping you off balance. I think Bill thinks that maybe Miami can just hold the ball consistently, run it, keep Fernanda Mendoza off the field, and that's Miami's prescription for victory. I picked Indiana fifty six fourteen, So I don't think it's going to be that I got a blowout blowout?
Speaker 5: What is the over under on the Las Vegas line? Is it that's way about.
Speaker 12: That forty five or something. I will say Indiana has scored exactly fifty six four times already this year and they have another one of fifty five, So like we're we're right in that zone eight touchdown. That doesn't seem so hard, right, like you?
Speaker 1: Is it good or bad that the two finalists are the two teams that beat the Buck guys?
Speaker 5: Do we console ourselves? We Buckeye few, we happy few over the winter with that? Or is it a point of pain.
Speaker 12: I've been trying I would I've tried that with Ohio State fans like this is. I think Ohio State probably will finish number three in the final polls, even though they lost in the quarterfinals, because they were number two and the two teams they lost to are planned for the title. But I think for a lot of Ohio State fans, especially because the Indiana and Miami losses were kind of right there for the Buck guys. Knowing that just makes you think, oh, we were right there on the air, and it did make it happen, So Ohio State fans are not soothed by that few unfortunately.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Doug lagh Marie, Bill and Doug Osu dot substack dot com.
Speaker 5: We'll check in during the off season.
Speaker 2: College football is only six months away. Bill and Doug Osu dot substat dot com. Face here in America.
Speaker 5: I'm doing Welcome back to America.
Speaker 2: I'm you Hewett, Go Hoosiers on Monday Night.
Speaker 5: I'll be wearing my Eyeu tie tonight.
Speaker 1: Joe Tarzana, Joe I'm sure is rooting for the Hoosiers on Monday Night and for the University of Sewing dot com that made that tie possible.
Speaker 13: It's lovely, lovely, but we have some housekeeping to do. You you know the I want a poem button we've been talking. Yes, well, it was broken for the last two weeks. Oh, like the Chalice from the Palace. The I want a poem button was broken, but my good friends at greenhn Interactive dot com put it back together for me. So if you sent me and I Want a poem in the last two weeks and you haven't heard from me, it's not because I'm on vacation.
Speaker 9: It's because I didn't get it, so please send it again.
Speaker 5: Thanks, goodness, goodness, and you.
Speaker 9: I've written a.
Speaker 13: Poem called Eric the red me meets Donald Range. But but you know the story about the shoemaker's wife. She goes barefoot. Yes, well, the the poet's wife. The poet's wife doesn't get enough poetry, okay, and it's tantalizing. Tarzana Johanna's birthday a significant birthday, and so.
Speaker 9: If you will indulge me, I've written a love lyric.
Speaker 13: I've written a love lyric that maybe some you, you a listener, can set to music and it goes something, but only something like this. You've taught me everything I know about the things that make love grow, and every day your words reveal the precious thing that lovers feel. We've had so much time together, you would think i'd know the way to tell you what your friendship means to me, and to find the words to say. But although I live in language, when you appear, my tongue is tied. I need another chance to show you. After all the words I've tried, so teach me how to say I love you, so you hear it a new way. Teach me how to say I love you though you hear it every day. Help me understand the feeling, help me share the feeling too. Teach me how to say I love you for without a doubt.
Speaker 9: I do, I do, I do. Happy Birthday Tarzana Johanna from Tarzana Joe.
Speaker 2: And Happy Birthday Tarzana Johanna from Hugh and Generallysimo and Duane and Harley, because we actually know she makes you possible.
Speaker 4: Joe was awful, Joe. How is any guy got to compete with that?
Speaker 5: I know it's really bad. If you hear that every single married man hates.
Speaker 4: You, right, yes, every married man at all.
Speaker 13: Now we just now that the I want a poem button is fixed. If you want that, just touch I want a poem and I will.
Speaker 5: Write that for you. Okay, you know, Joe.
Speaker 2: If it doesn't work again, people are gonna think it's a joke.
Speaker 5: So I hope it really is.
Speaker 1: You go to Tarzanajoe dot com for that beautiful poem that you know you can't write.
Speaker 5: You might be able to pass it off as your own if your wife wasn't listening.
Speaker 2: So that's the other Just absolutely rip it off or call Joe if you need a poem for any occasion.
Speaker 5: Tarzanajoe dot com.
Speaker 2: I want a poem, but thank you, Thank tuning everybody.
Speaker 5: Totail dialogue coming up. Thank you Joe,