Speaker 1: Welcome to today's podcast sponsored by Hillsdale College All Things Hillsdale Hillsdale dot ed or. I encourage you to take advantage of the many free online courses there, and of course I'll listener to the Hillsdale dialogues, all of them at q for Hillsdale dot com or just Google, Apple, iTunes and Hillsdale I mean Grace America. I'm Concuwitt. Welcome to the third illudition of the program. I want to begin with a monologue about what's happened to the Democrats and I followed this pretty closely for my adult life. My grandfather was a Democrat at Roll Fire chief of Ashtabille, Ohio. Lifelong fireman, loved FDR. He was born on Leap Year, eighteen ninety two. He died in nineteen ninety three. I lived to be one hundred and one, never cast a ballot, ballot for Republic. In his life. We had lots of fun conversations about politics and what had happened to me. For the last twenty years of his life, plus we would talk politics. He was a c SPAN actor and he's a Democrat. FDR Democrat. They aren't around anymore and now they've gone over the edge, and I think it was the Biden debacle freed up the progressive, transgressive, left wing socialists to take over the party, which is now effectively socialism in their mouth, Marxism in their brain, communism in their heart. But they're also repulsive in many different ways, including the necessity of being transgressive, attacking parenthal rights over children, suggesting multiple genders beyond two, trying to actually destroy Western culture along the way. I want to run through a bunch of clips illustrative of this, because with the exception of Alaska, Florida, Wyoming, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, Delaware, Louisiana, the state primaries are done and none of those have a particularly interesting race, except maybe Massachusetts on the Democratic side. But they're not interesting in terms of running lunatics. Ed Markey's already a lunatic in Massachusetts, but they've just gone way off the map. Let's begin with anc. This is sitting Georgia Senator John Ossoff cut number two.
Speaker 2: Let's talk about reparations. Sure, all right, I'm for it.
Speaker 1: What's your stance?
Speaker 3: So Senator Cory Booker has legislation in the Senate, right to establish a commission for the purposes of studying the right way to redress the grievance to pay the debt never paid forty acres and the mule was never paid.
Speaker 2: Out right, and that was an actual promise.
Speaker 3: That was an actual promise of the federal government. There is a debt unpaid. I think it is a very very difficult question how to pay it.
Speaker 2: But see that should be the question, not if it should be paid.
Speaker 1: Exactly right, Okay, John Assoff sitting Senator for reparations. That's wild. Then that's beyond the political norm. Adam Scheff sitting Democrat on Politico with dash Burn's cut number four.
Speaker 4: It's not an easy question. And Frank, I've got enough difficult questions at the federal level. But one thing that is not difficult for me, and that is there should be a wealth tax at the federal level. There should be a much more progressive tax code than the one we have.
Speaker 1: Okay, we need a wealth tax, Adam ship that is by the way, socialism gone mad. Here's Abdul l sayed. The nominee in and the running whose running mates is on Piker ad on the Politics and pro Zoom call cut number six.
Speaker 5: It is going to require taxes, and the question of who pays those taxes is an important question. There's a philosophical debate about how much of those taxes we would ask working Americans to pay. And I follow on the argument that I think it's important that from the political economy perspective, that everybody pays a bit in because when you look at conservative arguments for Social Security and Medicare, it almost always has to do with the fact that I paid into the system, ergo I take from the system, and I think that is a justification that's worth investing in.
Speaker 1: Here. So you've got John assof calling for operations, You've got Adam Shift calling for a federal tax hike on the wealthy, and you've got Abdulah i'l sayad calling for a tax hike on everyone. Let's go to Kamala Harris doing a podcast with Stacy Abrams. Cut number seven, partial change.
Speaker 6: I think we need to revisit the efficacy of the electoral college. I think we need to expand the Supreme Court and look at reforms. You know, so much of what we are dealing with right now, back to the point of just a violation of civil rights and all that your parents in mind fought for the Supreme Court decisions by this court that was basically at this point hand selected by Donald Trump.
Speaker 1: Basically not true. She doesn't know that. Apparently three members have been of the nine were nominated by Donald Trump, and they were confirmed by the Senate, and they're very good justices, and she does not recognize that. But she wants to tear up the Constitution in the electoral college and packed the court. More kammona heiress with Stacy Abrams cuttnumber eight.
Speaker 6: That part of the pain of this moment, Stacey, is these so called leaders who are pushing this kind of this narrative about who is a legitimate American citizen among American citizens, this blood and soil narrative that's being pushed at the highest levels of our government.
Speaker 1: Some people argued for a birthright citizenship, including me, a Republican in good standing and a conservative, and some people argued there the fourteenth Amendment wasn't clear. The Court has decided it, so it's not being pushed. Not a narrative, it's made up in her mind, which is often empty of any kind of coherent thought. One more cut from the Stacy Abrams Podcast with Kammi Aires, cut number nine.
Speaker 7: And I know you've been spending a lot of time in the South reascent, see in Louisiana and North Carolina. And what I tell people when they want to understand what authoritarianism can look like in the US, as it looks out, we have lived under authoritarianism, I would say since.
Speaker 8: Seventeen seventy six.
Speaker 1: Now you know why she was not selected for the vice presidency when Kamlala Harris was because she says crazy stuff like that, let's go to Beggy Flat again. Democrat nominee for Senate in Minnesota with Willie Geis this morning, Cut number ten. She's not responsible for fraud. It's all somebody else's fault.
Speaker 9: Do you deserve any responsibility the lieutenant governor for those fraud schemes have taken place in your state over the last several years?
Speaker 10: I would say, you know, the governor says the buck stops with him.
Speaker 11: More should have been done sooner, and I agree.
Speaker 10: And now we know that one hundred people have been charged, sixty have been convicted.
Speaker 1: It's not be Babe, she should have humed Bob Dylan. It's tim Waltz, it's not her ro Kana also running for president. On PR with Stevenskeep This Morning Cut number twelve.
Speaker 12: He excluded a lot of the black South, where domestic workers, agriculture workers didn't get a chance. He purposely set social Security at sixty five, knowing that a black life expectancy was fifty nine.
Speaker 3: That was the only way he was going to get Southern support for It's a social reform.
Speaker 12: So yeah, he excluded, of course Japanese Americans and turned them. But a multiracial New Deal, in my view, is what is needed, and it will probably be one of America's greatest moments because what we can do and we'll do in America, I don't know if it'll be my generation or the next generation. We will become the world's first cohesive multiracial democracy.
Speaker 1: So FDR was racist, that's new I taught. I began this monologue by talking about my grandfather, an FDR Democrat. He wasn't a racist. That was remoting up in Northeast and I actually be able to end to the underground railroad. It was as freestyle as freestyle ever gets. It's an insult to everyone in northeastern Ohio. But you go with that ro He's been on this a guest on this program a number of times. I'm disappointed in him. And then let's put the icing on the cake. Hassan Piker now the new Voice, the new Kingmaker, and the Democratic Party, pleading for people to stop the mean Republicans from bringing up the fact he said racist Islamist apologetics nine to eleven. America deserved that crazy stuff cut number fifteen.
Speaker 13: I know we don't always see Eyei on a lot of stuff, but you have to literally at some point. I know you don't want to do this, defend me, and not because not because you love what I have to say, not because I'm a part of this coalition, even though I am, whether you like it or not. But you are going to inevitably have to say this is a ridiculous conversation that we're having, because the real conversation that Republicans don't want to have is the cost of living crisis.
Speaker 2: That requires you, at.
Speaker 13: Some point to basically take the l a little bit okay, and maybe be a little bit more honest about how I'm not this dangerous, toxic radical force. I'm not expecting you to defend clips out of context or anything like that. I'm not even expecting you to defend some of these statements at all.
Speaker 2: I think you should probably attack the form.
Speaker 13: You should attack the form, you should attack the function, You should probably attack the.
Speaker 2: Very reason as to why Republicans have made this.
Speaker 1: All right, So, in fact, Hassan Piker is a dangerous, toxic radical force. He reflects. He did not make the Democratic Party. He reflects the Democratic Party of twenty twenty six. And at every level, state reps, state senator, your own congressperson, your governor's race, your Senate races. You have to vote Republican in twenty twenty six, and you have to get involved and repudiate the hard left turn that the Democrats have taken and are taking over the cliff because we need two functioning parties in the United States. We need a Democratic Party that argues for slightly higher marginal tax rates for tinkering with that or changing this. We do not need a crazy left wing group led by a San Piker. Abdul l sied Peggy Flanagan Rocanna in his current iteration, Adam Schiff, who else did I bring up in this, Kamala Harris? We don't need that we need a Democratic party of Scoop Jackson and Sam Nun and John Glenn and people were normis all right, normal people, That's what we need. Stay tuned, Ninete, Welcome back in America. Jonathan Williams is the President Chief Economists of our friends at American Legislative Exchange Council. We got a new backdrop. What's that new backdrop, Jonathan?
Speaker 14: Well, hey, Hu, coming to you from the beautiful campus of Northwood University here in Midland, Michigan and my alma mater. We're here for a group of state legislators, one of our ALEC academies from the Great Lakes State. So we even invited the Buckeye legislators to come up and join us here here. I know you'll be happy to hear that.
Speaker 1: I want to know why I wasn't invited. You know, I love ALEC Evans and I love rich states, poor states, and if I was there, I would make sure everyone knows that of the Midwestern states, I believe Ohio is highest ranked. Am I correct?
Speaker 14: Well, almost, Indiana's got you beat.
Speaker 15: You know, there are top ten.
Speaker 14: Ohio's making up for some lost time there, but Indiana has been a pay center for a long time here in the Midwest.
Speaker 15: But here's this you.
Speaker 14: If you come join us next year, I'll put the Ohio flag behind me alongside the Michigan flag.
Speaker 15: How's that?
Speaker 1: Okay? Well, we got to talk. I don't this might be the only thing we covered today, Jonathan, and I want to know if there's actually anywhere at the Aleck website where they can find out what's going on the Midwest because this is the renaissance of America. I really no, Michigan's falling behind and Illinois needs to catch up. But water and power means AI and anderroll and volunteer and everything like that. If the Midwestern legislators get it right, that it'll be the new boom for the Midwest.
Speaker 15: Yeah, it absolutely will.
Speaker 14: And you know, one of the new pieces of model policy, as you know, that came out of Orlando from our alic annual meeting with eighteen hundred of our closest conservative friends. And we're so glad to have you join us there. That was one of those things that came out of it was our model statement of principles on what do we do with the discussion around data centers, what do we do around energy policy, that's smart. What do we do around the water usage and zoning and making sure that states and cities are open for a development and making sure that the United States stays a leader when it comes to this race with China on AI and data centers fueling that boom.
Speaker 1: You know, Jonathan, I think I want to remember the name, the name correctly, State Center Court from Texas, one of my favorite guests.
Speaker 15: That's right, he told great great man.
Speaker 1: Great man. He told me that Texas already has three hundred and fifty data centers, one of which will more than double the annual government revenue from property tax without any impact on services. I don't know why people aren't rushing out to line up for these things.
Speaker 14: Well, I don't think they think about that element of it, Hugh. But I mean telling those stories is really important to know that there's some huge benefits for taxpayers out there when this is done in a smart way, in a responsible way, you know, even just looking at back in northern Virginia that you know, well, I mean, I'm in Fairfax County, Laddin County right next door. Is that really the heart and soul of where the data center boom has happened? In the United States, as you know, and even as they've had liberal governance in Lodden County for a number of years now, they've actually seen property taxes remain flat or even decline in some cases, where Fairfax County, with little to no data centers, has been property taxes going through the roof. So just a bilateral comparison of two counties right next door to each other in northern Virginia, both run by liberals, and you see a huge difference. And I think it can be hugely attributed to this development of data centers in Latin County that are taking that property tax burden and taking it off of residential and other commercial property taxpayers.
Speaker 15: And that's something that just doesn't get told nearly enough.
Speaker 1: That's why ALECK exists. Why if you're a state legislator or adjacent to one, you want to belong to the American Legislative Exchange Council, go to ALEC dot org. Slash U John, I want to do cover Michigan's problem right now. They have a choice. They can go the Indiana Ohiopath or then go the Illinois Path. And that way, the Illinois Path lies doom. They've got lsiad versus Rogers on the ballot and I know you're nonpartisans, so you're not going to tell you. And they got John James. I don't know who's running for governor on the Democratic side, but John James, a good, serious free market guy. Michigan can has a choice in front of it right now. Do you think most Michiganders are aware of that choice?
Speaker 14: I think so, and I think it's almost impossible to ignore this dark contrast. I mean, this is what a great book by the awesome Thomas soul a Conflict of Visions, right, I mean, this is really a time for choosing between Yeah, do you want to become Illinois, which is California of the Midwest without the good weather, or do you want to be more prosperous like Indiana and Ohio is increasingly becoming with in migration and businesses and job creation all the things that go with that. I think Wisconsin also falls in Minnesota to some degree in those categories. Is what do these states want to be when they decide which path they follow? In Michigan, as we know, has kind of gone back and forth under Rick Snyder and right to work and so many great things were happening in last decade, and then because of the progressive trifecta there they repealed right to work and started to.
Speaker 15: Go the way of Illinois again.
Speaker 14: But I mean, it's almost impossible if you're an objective observer and have studied the Midwest and the economies and what Illinois used to be versus what it is today, and what Chicago used to be, what it is today versus where Indiana and Ohio had been in the progress that they've made.
Speaker 15: Did the only clear choice to.
Speaker 14: Be more like Indiana and more like Ohio and less like Illinois. When it comes to Snake's like, did you get into the scouncil?
Speaker 1: A great By the way, second plog A Time for Choosing is a second grade book for Samon Thomas Soul. Everyone go get the third grade book. Rich Statesportestates dot com Riada. It's a choice, everyone gets to make, prosperity or poverty. Pick prosperity. Jonathan Williams, All you good to see my friend Alex dot org slash Hue, thank you, Welcome back to America. I'm Hugh Cwitt, always keeping an eye on our shipbuilding in the United States. After talking to Admiral Mark Montgomery yesterday he pointed out that if we want to actually maintain operations that will detery Iran, we need destroyers. Destroyers are the workhorse of the American fleet. And I'm joined now by United States Senator Susan Collins, chairwoman of the Appropriations Committee, also a member of the Senate Intelligence Committee, and holder of the consecutive role call vote record of the United States Senate well over ten thousand now. Senator Collins, welcome back.
Speaker 16: How are you just find great to talk with you?
Speaker 1: Que? So I was driving my grandchildren a few weekends ago to the Main Botanic Garden to see the trolls, which is an annual kind of excursion for us, and we went over to the Kennebeck River and there was one destroyer being worked on, and I thought, I've got to ask Senator Collins, because I talked to Admiral Montgomery often, we need destroyers. Are we making enough of them?
Speaker 16: We're not making enough of them. There are more than there is, more than one being a work done in the yards right now. But we've got to keep it flowing. As you were saying, they truly are the workhorse of the fleet, and They're essential to our national security. We've seen that in the Middle East. What's ay that's built destroyer that shot down all of those who the missiles that were being fired at commercial ships that are are troops and at Israel.
Speaker 1: So, Senator, what Admiral Montgomery told me just yesterday is at a minimum, we've got sixteen there and we really need twenty two to twenty four, but we're stretched thin. Are your Democratic colleague aware destroyers really do everything and the carriers can't go anywhere without the destroyers. Are they with you on this?
Speaker 16: I think they'll be support for adding a second destroyer to the President's budget. It's really important that.
Speaker 17: We do so.
Speaker 16: As you say, those giant aircraft carriers need the destroyers to protect them, and without the destroyers you couldn't send the air craft carriers out to do their mission. So they are incredibly important.
Speaker 1: So is Bath handling the craftsman shortage as well as they can. I know there's a housing issue in Bath and the same housing issue in Portsmouth with the submarine workforce. What are they doing? Is the Congress helping house and attract skilled workers to the people who build the ships?
Speaker 16: Well pleased should say that I've been able to secure funding for two workforce housing projects right in Bath, and these are really important. The majority of the workers at that time works do not live in Bath or a joining communities. They commute from the Lewiston area. In the case of the Portsmouth Naples Shipyard and Kiddery, Maine, they commute from the Samford main That's a long commute. So I've encouraged both shipyards to establish shuttles, of which would help with the parking. But we're also working on a parking garage at Bath iron Works, and on a daycare center and housing right in downtown Bath. That would make a huge difference, and it will help improve our retention and recruitment numbers, which are going up. They're much better than they were.
Speaker 1: Do you think that's a model for every high cost housing defense industry critical segment because if you can't get a worker, they make good money. I mean, you can be a welder on a ship and make six figures after a couple of years, but you still got to buy a house. Is this going to be a model everywhere in the country.
Speaker 16: I think it could well be. You're right, it doesn't matter how good you're quit Mint is or your materials are. If you don't have the skills workforces, you can't build these amazing ships, and they are amazing. They're technically advanced and they take very skilled workers. The other part of this element is helping our community colleges train more welders, electricians, plumbers, steel cutters, et cetera. And I have worked with that Armworks and with Supports and Staples Shipyards, with the pre winning plant in North Berwick, Maine that makes parts for the F thirty five, on making sure that our community colleges have the slots to train these individuals. And it's interesting you mentioned welders because BIW is known, renowned for the quality of its really important.
Speaker 1: So Senat, I want to close. I introduced you before you got on the line as being the most powerful woman in Congress because of your position a chair of the Appropriations Committee. I know Democrats have sort of forced us into a cr Are you optimistic after the electioneering is done about getting a real budget done?
Speaker 16: I am, and that really is critical. But I was hardened that the stopcap punding measure was approved in the wee hours of the morning on Saturday by a vote of ninety to six. So that was a good sign because it means that we avoid a government shutdown and have untilled December eleventh, post election to get the appropriation stills passed. That is absolutely critical that we do that.
Speaker 1: And the last question, it's not political, but it does call into question what's going on in the in the Senate and the House, Democrats have gone pretty far to the left the cycle, and I remember John Glenn and Sam Nunn and even Scoop Jackson. Are there any of them left?
Speaker 16: Unfortunately, it seems that there are fewer and fuer And one of the people with whom I work most closely on the Democratic side, Jeans Seeing of New Hampshire, is retiring. So that's disappointing. But there are some that we can still work with. But I'll tell you what, we don't want to have our government shutdowns, and that's what the Democrats, by failing to cooperate, produced left in the last cycle. And those are really damaging to our military families that rely on federal programs, and they're unfared of federal workers, some of whom, like our TSA agents, were forced to world without PEG.
Speaker 1: Senator Carlins always good to Chuck catch up with you. Thank you for I didn't know that the cr had passed on Saturday night, so I'm glad to learn that as well. Keep coming back, Senator Collins. I appreciate it. I'll look for that next one. It's probably under the under the tarp there on the tender buck. I only saw one. Thank you so much. I'll be right back in America. Stay j Welcome back America. I'm hw Hewitt with Vic madd as co host of the Getting Hammered podcast and with the Washington Free Beacon and Margaret Romer fan. Uh, Vic, when did you be a Megan Roamer? Megan Romer fan, when did you become uh, you know, a Megan Roamer?
Speaker 18: Uh?
Speaker 1: A Fishonado.
Speaker 19: Well, let's see, I mean she had her interview on Fox News, uh where I think it was Shannon Breem just had a list of insane ds A talking points and positions, uh, and she said yes to all of them, abolishing you know, Ice and I think even possibly abolishing the Senate. I can't remember that. That and either getting rid of the Supreme Court, and she just leaned all in. And then of course she had her interview more recently with David Remnick of The New Yorker. And you know, again Remnick is no right winger, but boy did she make him seem like he was totally red pilled on that he seemed baffled. He tried not to sort of laugh in her face, although there were times he was just like, I don't I'm sorry, I don't understand.
Speaker 1: And that's the best you can do.
Speaker 19: When you start asking questions and it's clear that the person you're asking questions too, has no idea what to say. And he's talking about, for example, the Camp David Accords, and she's not familiar with the fact that, you know, the Palestinians were offered Jerusalem. And later he's asking about, really diplomats can go to Ukraine and suddenly problems solved, and they haven't done that yet, and she's just nodding along. And then, of course the worst thing is her agreement to go, which she said that she would have joined. Daria Eliza Avalle Chevalier, who will become a congresswoman after the fall election, at the October eighth, twenty twenty three rally, less than twenty four hours after the worst attack on Jews in the Holocaust, and she says, yeah, I'd probably be there too. This is not to say she says that she does. You know, she doesn't condone the violence, and she doesn't. She's not saying that she supports that, but she understands why they would do it, and she'd be there to support them.
Speaker 1: Okay, So, Vic, that was our entry level drug for DSA people, and your first cut at the easiest target. Now I'm going to burn your eyes out and show you and add that abdu El Sayed cut before the election, that is only recently surfaced. And I want to know if you even understand what it's trying to do. Cut number one.
Speaker 18: Here's the mail and never fails and makes me want o wag misail when it comes.
Speaker 20: I wanna well, thanks mailbox.
Speaker 21: We just got a letter. We just got a letter. We just got a letter. I wonder who it's from.
Speaker 22: It looks like my ballot brought to me by my Secretary of State, and with it I can.
Speaker 20: Participate in democracy.
Speaker 22: The first day that I can turn this in is June twenty fifth, but it has to be postmarked by July twenty first, or I can drop it off up until election day, which is August fourth.
Speaker 20: Thanks Secretary of State. Thanks mailbox Folk's good, dude, we can't do.
Speaker 1: So, Vic, does that ring any bells with you?
Speaker 15: Sadly?
Speaker 8: It does?
Speaker 1: I mean my.
Speaker 19: Dad, yes, yes, and you know he and my son when he was you know, he's now going off the college, and so abdul l say Ed has now ruined what was a happy memory for me of Blues Clues. My son even had what we call this handy dandy notebook, so I get the reference. And I do want to say, for the record, the first host of Blues Clues was better than the second host, Joe.
Speaker 8: But that aside, this is really weird and.
Speaker 19: I don't know how that is going to play in Michigan, especially now that you mentioned Hugh it's been resurfaced. It's just weird and slightly creepy. And I get it. You know you can vote by mail. In fact, you can vote weeks and weeks earlier before you find out your candidate is insane and it's too late to change it. So I guess that's the cases presented.
Speaker 1: Do you think he was aiming at your son's demo who watched a lot of Blue because it's been off the air for ten years? Do you think he was aiming at young people that he thinks are stupid.
Speaker 19: Yeah, I mean, there's definitely a nostalgic element to it, and it's something that we as adults are that's not going to resonate with us, and it's not going to resonate with you know, obviously kids who are not eligible to vote, but certainly if you're eighteen, you're going to say, oh, I remember that, and this guy is so funny and that's cool, and I guess I'll vote for Lsied. Maybe maybe that's what he's going for there, but again, that's really weird and he just ruined a wonderful memory for me.
Speaker 1: Okay, now I'm going to go full the essay on you. The brand new kingmaker of the Democratic Party, Hassan Piker is feeling put upon cut number fifteen.
Speaker 13: I know we don't always see eye TOI on a lot of stuff, but you have to literally at some point.
Speaker 2: I know you don't want to do this defend me, and not because.
Speaker 13: Not because you love what I have to say, not because I'm a part of this coalition, even though I am, whether you like it or not, but you are are going to inevitably have to say, this is a ridiculous conversation that we're having, because the real conversation that Republicans don't want to have is the cost of living crisis. That requires you at some point to basically take the l a little bit okay, and maybe be a little bit more honest about how I'm not this dangerous, toxic radical force. I'm not expecting you to defend clips out of context or anything like that. I'm not even expecting you to defend some of these statements at all. I think you should probably attack the form. You should attack the form, You should attack the function. You should probably attack the very reason as to why Republicans have made this a or.
Speaker 1: Chick matters attacking form and function. As krit talk, what do you think he's doing there?
Speaker 19: I think that Hassan Piker is fighting himself in a position reminiscent of Jeremiah Wright, you know. I mean, it's the moment when Obama hung him out to dry, even though he very much looked up to him, because you know, they were putting that, you know, they were shining a spotlight on that and was making him look kind of radical. And of course in many ways Obama was and Hassan Piker is not going.
Speaker 8: To be a team player.
Speaker 19: He has millions of followers, as you know, a lot of acolytes and.
Speaker 1: People who actually frankly agree with all of.
Speaker 19: His detestable positions, whether it be nine to eleven or the raping of capitalists, or not caring what happened on October seven, not caring what happened to women at the concert in October seven.
Speaker 20: I mean, it's sick.
Speaker 19: And so he tries to preface it by saying, look, I'm not saying that you should also say that, you know, America had it coming on nine to eleven, but you know, do me a solid here and at least, you know, come to a partial defense of me. And I don't know what the candidates are going to do. I mean, honestly, in LSI Ed's case, he may in fact still stick with Hassan Piker.
Speaker 1: He went to that pool party on election. Yeah, yeah, he's that confident about it.
Speaker 19: But it's going to put all the other Democratic candidates in a very uncomfortable position because now that we're heading into general elections of the midterms, their Republican opponents are going to say, do you stand with Hassan Piker on any number of detestable positions, and they're going to have to either you know, find some wiggle room there or you know, go to talking points to say, well, the real issue is this in Trump or they're going to have to just say yeah, I'm cool with it. And so the civil war on the Democratic side continues here.
Speaker 1: And I hope it continues for ano their eighty two days. Vic maddis co host of the Getting Hammered podcast Culture of Art Affairs, Something editor at the Weekend pre Beacons. Follow him on exit victory, No matdis and thank you, vic in An. I ruined blues Clues for you. Stay tuned, America, Welcome back, America. I'm Popick. Josh Crosshauwer is my guest editor in chief of Jewish Insider. Josh. I'm gonna burn your eyes out. I'm going to play for you a new abdua LSA ED video that has resurfaced Cut number one.
Speaker 18: Here's the mail and never fails and makes me want a wag. Might say when it comes, I wanna well.
Speaker 20: Thanks mailbox.
Speaker 21: We just got a letter. We just got a letter. We just got a letter.
Speaker 20: I wonder who it's from.
Speaker 22: It looks like my ballot brought to me by my Secretary of State, and with it I can.
Speaker 20: Participate in democracy. The first day that I can turn this in is June twenty fifth.
Speaker 22: It has to be postmarked by Lie twenty first, or I can drop it off up until election day, which is August fourth.
Speaker 20: Thanks Secretary of State. Thanks mailbox. Vote's good. We can't do.
Speaker 1: So, Josh crash Ower your reaction.
Speaker 23: So I saw this for the first time today, and at first I assumed it was AI generated and then I actually watched the content. Clearly this was and this is about a month old, a little over a month old, I think, trying to get people to early vote in the primary. Yeah, I mean this is this is just underscores how the messaging for the base, and you know, I never seen anything quite like it. I guess he was trying to, you know, mimic Blues Clues or some kids show. But it's a bizarre, wacky way of doing that, and that kind of messaging is just going to be just absolutely weird if you tried to do that in the general election.
Speaker 1: So it's not how this guy in a football high school environment in Michigan, which is almost as crazy as Ohio, Texas, and Florida after he said that there's toxic masculinity in football.
Speaker 8: I mean, it's funny.
Speaker 23: I think Mike Rodgers has, you know, said he's going after faith football the flag.
Speaker 8: That's sort of the line that Rogers has used against El sa Ed, and I think didn't.
Speaker 23: It's hard to follow all the back and forth on social media, but I think else I had challenged Mike Rogers to a one on one football game, which is a little I thought else I had played football in high school, but apparently not, because like the notion of a one on one football game makes no sense and it really makes him look out of touch.
Speaker 1: So look, I I.
Speaker 23: The sports metaphor I use the other day was Republicans think this guy has a short temper.
Speaker 15: El si Ed.
Speaker 23: He gets makes mistakes, makes political mistakes when he gets under attack, and Republicans are blitzing the quarterback. They're they're making him throw interceptions when he's under pressure, and I've seen quite a few since he won the nomination last Tuesday, and they look like they're not handling the pressure very well, and they're not pivoting very.
Speaker 8: Well to running towards the general election.
Speaker 23: Where there are a lot of independents, a lot of moderate Democrats who are very wary of else I had, and he's not really doing what's necessary to reach out to those skeptics.
Speaker 1: You know, it's hard to pivot when you put on a sun Piker like a Spider Man suit. Here is a sun Piker from either yesterday or the day before, streaming Forever cut number fifteen.
Speaker 13: I know we don't always see Eyei on a lot of stuff, but you have to literally at some point. I know you don't want to do this, defend me, and not because not because you love what I have to say, not because I'm a part of this coalition, even though I am, whether you like it or not. But you are going to inevitably have to say this is a ridiculous conversation that we're having, because the real conversation that Republicans don't want to have is the cost of living crisis. That requires you, at some point to basically take the l a little bit okay, and maybe be a little bit more honest about how I'm not this dangerous, toxic radical force. I'm not expecting you to defend clips out of context or anything like that. I'm not even expecting you to defend some of these statements at all. I think you should probably attack the form. You should attack the form, you should attack the function, You should probably attack the very reason as to why Republicans have made this a or are trying to make this a salient line of attack instead of right.
Speaker 1: Josh, what's that mean? How do you interpret Hassan Piker's appeal for help?
Speaker 23: Look, this is not a part. This guy's a DSA guy. He's not a Democratic Party guy. So he's going to be the worst headache that ELSI ed and the Democratic Party is going to be dealing with throughout the general election campaign. And look, I find it remarkable because there were a lot of serious Democratic thinkers and strategists like Third Way, the centrist Democratic group that wrote it not Beed during the primary talking about how dangerous, how damaging and an extremist this guy Hassan Piker is, and a lot of supposedly smart people were like, Haha, he didn't affect his ability to win the nomination or to lead Hailey Stevens in the primary, So this stuff doesn't matter. What they don't realize is primary politics and how far the Democratic base has gone outside the mainstream, is not the equivalent of what you need to win and the votes you need to win and the people you need to win in a general election.
Speaker 8: And this guy has become toxic.
Speaker 23: There were Mallory McMorrow, one of the primary challengers, a lot of Michigan Democrats, warned that this is a toxic, anti Semitic, anti American figure, and now they don't know what you know.
Speaker 8: Oultside is not really distant himself from him.
Speaker 23: I don't think he can, given that he used him as a surrogate in the final days of the campaign. But this is a guy who is going to be the gift that keeps on giving for the Republicans.
Speaker 8: They don't have to do any messaging. Republicans just let this guy talk.
Speaker 23: They're going to be focusing on the economy, They're going to be focusing on bread and butter issues, and they're gonna let Piker's own words really hurt his own candidate, his favorite candidate.
Speaker 1: Pretty second, Josh played over to Troy Jackson in Maine and Roy Cooper in North Carolina and shared Brown and Michigan and wherever they're trying to win, where they're chitting in Alaska. Does it bleed to every Democrat?
Speaker 23: We don't know yet, but what I will say is that smart Democrats would have understood the long term implications of being associated with someone like Hassan Piker. And the battlegrounds for the most part are in red states Texas, Ohio, Iowa.
Speaker 8: Right, Alaska.
Speaker 23: If you think Piker's not going to sell in Michigan, he's certainly not going to sell in those Trump states. So Democrats realize that if you've kind of isolate the guy and take the short term hit, because you're going.
Speaker 8: To save the red state seats where this could become an issue.
Speaker 23: We don't know how much he's gonna transcend Michigan and affect democratics. So the socialist rise is going to affect candidates and rhetor states. But boy, if I'm Chuck Schumer, that's a risk I wouldn't want to take. And the fact that Democratic leaders didn't speak up and isolate this guy is going to cause a much more problem.
Speaker 1: And if I'm the NRCC, I'm running l say ed ads that combine the Hassan Piker's stream with crazy Blues Clothes video and putting it on twenty four to seven everywhere Josh Cross Ower fall him on exit. Josh Cross, our editor of Josh Insider, thank you, Josh Shell. Be right back America. If you listen to this program for any length of time, you know I appreciate companies that deliver real value without unnecessary gimmicks. That's why I'm pleased to recommend Consumer Cellular. They offer reliable nationmid coverage, outstanding customer service and plans. It simply makes sense. Right now, you can get a brand new five G phone and unlimited everything rate plan for fifty nine dollars a month or even less. That's right. Your low monthly price includes your new device and an unlimited Talk Texan data plan with thirty six month easy Pay financing. Choose the five G phone that's right for you, and when those thirty six months are up, you own the phone the company to unknown you. Here's an exclusive bonus for my listeners for a limited time. Use the promo code HU fifty and you'll receive an additional fifty dollars off your service. Visit Consumer sailor dot com slash you today to find the right phone. Enjoy affordable wireless with an unlimited plan for fifty nine dollars a month or less. That's Consumer sailor dot com slashee and remember to use the promo code Hugh fifty to save an additional fifty dollars.
Speaker 22: It is finally time for a straightforward assess of the state of our nation.
Speaker 24: What happens when the institutions built to protect a liberty are accused of working against it. This weekend, Salem News Channels America two fifty film series presents Go Govern Gangsters, Watch a hard hitting look at power, corruption, and accountability in modern America Saturday and Sunday at seven pm Eastern only on Salem News Channel.
Speaker 1: Welcome Back. I'm joined by Bethany Mandel. She is the mom substact dot com columns for pretty much everyone that writes columns in America as well. Bethanye had a bunch of different topics for you. I want to start with just Free Word Association WNBA.
Speaker 11: What is his name? And as freedom?
Speaker 1: Oh? You know it's Freedom?
Speaker 10: Yes, yes, I can't wait for the newest WNBA star.
Speaker 1: Well, what about the league's ongoing racial tension? Has that broken through into year world? Yet? Not? Really?
Speaker 10: I know that Sophia Cunningham is cute and blonde, and she points, I don't know if that's involved.
Speaker 11: I don't pay attention to that.
Speaker 1: Okay, if it doesn't, if you have not made it through to your media world yet, it's still a bubble story on my algorithm because I like sports and they think that the WNBA is something I like that haven't figured it out yet, but they sent it to me too. Number two John Potter Ortz yesterday guest of mine. I had him on. I asked him, how do you feel about walking around on the Upper West Side? He said, I don't feel particularly endangered, but my son was a keep and yeah, someone got screwdriver here last week. What do you think about Jews living in.
Speaker 10: New York City's funny that you ask. I will be there tomorrow. And this was actually a question of mine because my son that I'm bringing with me is five and he likes to wear his iyamicas sometimes. And I was like, I think it's probably fine, but it did give me pause.
Speaker 1: Okay, So where will you be in New York City? Brooklyn? Are you going to the city downtown Manhattan?
Speaker 11: Are you planning on hanging out with us?
Speaker 1: We're going to go, but my daughter and granddaughter again, they went everywhere, So I'm just wondering.
Speaker 11: I know, I.
Speaker 10: Watched it on Instagram and I mess I wanted to message her and ask her for recommendations. But we're going to the met and we're going to Times Square, so like very tourist central.
Speaker 1: Okay, I don't think Terra Central is where the nuts go to attack Jews, So I think you're safe. Yeah, that brings me up to number three. Given that John as to worry, and you have to think about it. What are the numbers on American Jews leaving for Israel because they simply they're safer in Israel than they are in the United States.
Speaker 11: So I don't know if they're terribly significant.
Speaker 10: So there's an organization called Nefes Benefesh and they help mostly Americans, but honestly, anyone make the journey from their country of origin to Israel, and they just hit their one hundred one hundred thousandth individual who has moved to Israel from abroad, So I think, you know, the numbers are there. I also think that there's significant numbers of people who do the other way, that they had moved to Israel and decided to move back to America and so, I mean, anecdotally, I can tell you we've had five or six families that we were friends with move in the last year and a half. So it does feel significant in my little bubble. But I don't know if that's significant, like extrapolated into actual population numbers.
Speaker 1: Okay, now driving down, If you had your rank and order of physical safety and security, four places, Cleveland, Maryland suburbs, New York City, tel Aviv, which is the safest.
Speaker 11: I would say tel Aviv probably, I mean when.
Speaker 1: You Cleveland, really yeah, not Nothing bad happens in Cleveland, not not in that parts of Cleveland.
Speaker 11: We're bad things happened in tel Aviv too.
Speaker 1: Well, that's true, except missiles occasionally fall from this guy if the Iranians are having a bad week. But that's about it, right, Yeah, I guess.
Speaker 11: So, I don't know.
Speaker 10: My tel Aviv friends kind of treat them as a mostly as a nuance, as a nuisance, but you know, when they're actual Iranian ones, those kind of get a little scarier. But as far as safety goes, I don't know. I mean maybe I just I don't know if I've ever really been to Cleveland.
Speaker 1: Okay, trust me on this one. Or Cincinnatire Columbus. The Jewish communities in the Ohio diaspora are just fine, and they're big. If you remember the rally for Israel on the mall, I think it was mostly buck eyes, I really do. I think it was just every every Jew in Ohio came to DC for the day because they could make it in six hours. So, Bethany, now I want to switch over to you just mentioned the word nuisance. Hassan Piker is more than a nuisance. I think he's a canary in the coal mine for the Democratic Party. What do you think about it?
Speaker 11: I agree.
Speaker 10: I mean this is the DSA has really sort of taken over, and there's a lot of individuals. I wouldn't say a lot. There are some individuals on the left who are speaking up and saying I will not share a party if this is in the tent with me. There's Bill Maher, There's James Carville. But there's not enough of those people. And you know, every time a bad guy wins a primary, all those principals go out the window and they're you know, well, I don't know, but we have to stop the Republicans, and it gets so far is to you know, they have no limiting principles. So when it was Graham Platner in Maine and he had a Nazi tattoo on his chest, they were like, well, we have to stop Susan Collins that being a race willing to like throw your all your principles out the window, for it's.
Speaker 1: Really kind of creepy. What's happening to the Democrats? So their last question is does this become a national election as opposed to cherries of foreign in thirty five congressional seats and thirty three Senate seats and a handful of governs, does it become a national referendum on the fact that the Democrats lost their mind. I know that some people don't like Trump. I know that the Iran war alleged. I don't trust any polling anymore. I'm not trusting a new service that Salem runs calls eyes Over, which is a sampling of online data. Everyone posts their opinions on everything, so you can actually find out what people think a lot better using eyes only than you can doing democratic polling. But do you think they're up for a Nazi surprise that the country has noticed they become lunatics?
Speaker 10: I think that's what the Trump administration and Republicans are betting on, and they're throwing all of their weight behind making sure that Americans are aware of just how far Democrats have swung the I think the most effective campaign messaging that I've seen so far. You know, like it's August, so you know, we've still got a little ways to go. They're saying it's a choice between Republicans and socialism, and I think that that's powerful.
Speaker 11: I think also we need to.
Speaker 10: Remember, as the grown ups in the room, that socialism isn't the boogeyman that it used to be, you know, twenty thirty years ago. And we really have to explain to people like their idiots, socialism bad. This is why it doesn't just mean a bunch of free stuff, which is what a lot of young people want.
Speaker 11: You have to explain why it's bad.
Speaker 1: They were talking about it on commentary today and they're going around in circles about what it means. I think it should be described as transgressive. Progressive. Socialists are radical in every way you can imagine, and they're stupid. Yeah, and I really do believe they haven't read a book. Do you think that Hassan Piker's read a book.
Speaker 10: No, And I think to that point, the media appearances that I think have been the most powerful for Republicans have been by DSA members. When you there was one, I forget the media appearance, but a co chair for the DSA was asked, well, how much should we tax the millionaires?
Speaker 11: Like what are you proposing here?
Speaker 10: And she could not put anything related to policy or numbers, like there was just nothing there.
Speaker 11: It was just a slogan tax the rich, and yeah, that's it.
Speaker 1: Why was Seth Mandel putting an orange giraffe on your lawn today?
Speaker 10: Our neighbor, it was two of our children's birthday this summer, and she decided to give them without asking us, a giant, inflatable giraffe that like sprays water and it had to be done as soon as they got the gift at eight am.
Speaker 11: And so we always joke someone, I'm now giving.
Speaker 2: That gift to everyone.
Speaker 25: I'm gonna give that gift to everyone because that was a great How does he prepare for the commentary podcast?
Speaker 1: He puts up an inflatable giraffe? So good social media on you. Bethany Mandel Follower one at Bethany shandag s h O N d A R case. Someday she will change her name to Bethany Mandel, but I'm done asking. Thank you, Bethany, don't go any America.
Speaker 17: On Osters got his Bumps, Street Gun, Big Welcome back.
Speaker 1: Jim Garrett's been doing this show for so long. He didn't have kids when we started, and he's always had the same bump music. He also had long blonde heroin was a hippie when we started.
Speaker 25: Jim Goodness, he's a that. He's a National Review Morning Joelt guy. He's a regular presence here who I can ask this question without embarrassment. Jim, have you followed the w NBA controversy.
Speaker 15: Just a little bit?
Speaker 9: And I would say the outcome, the end result of everything I hear about the NBA makes me think that I would hate it. And you know, back in the day, the college I went to had a good women's basketball team and had a good women's volleyball team. I am capable of getting into soccer when the World Cup comes along, So I am not inherently opposed to women's athletics or anything like that. I do think, by the way, every time somebody comes along and creates a new sports league.
Speaker 15: There's kind of an assumption that.
Speaker 9: There's just an endless amount of appetite and there's an endless amount of what I'm gonna call mental real estate or attention span for every new sport that comes along. I do salute ESPN for embracing the ocho and having youugh, have you noticed that they do like potato sack races and kickball and like every weird sport you could ever possibly amount.
Speaker 1: I can't profess Baseball tonight anymore. I don't watch it anymore because ESPN kept moving around Baseball tonight, so I'm done with it.
Speaker 9: But everything I hear about the WNBA suggests that everything is seen through the prism of race. Everything is seen through the prison. Like the idea of like, ah, we don't like this young new superstar who's stealing attention had In Clark and I remember what's the name of the one for the one out in La.
Speaker 1: Well, if Kaitlin Clark and Cunningham are both on the Indiana Fever.
Speaker 9: Okay, Angel Reese was the other one, and I was like, oh, you can have your Magic Johnson and your Larry Bird right. The NBA use these two guys, and this kind of clash of the Titans, who do you like more, who's the greatest one? And the La Lakers versus the Boston Celtics boomed in the nineteen eighties. I guess yes, throughout the nineteen eighties. Then Michael Jordan comes along, the only human being who I've seen for whom gravity was optional, and the NBA blows up into this giant global game.
Speaker 15: The WNBA seems.
Speaker 9: To have those options and has no interest doing so, and wants to basically step into every conceivable political controversy they can, basically saying to the casual Kaitlin Clark fans and everybody.
Speaker 15: Like, this is not for you. If this is interesting you, we did it by accident and we don't really want you to be into it. By the way, whatever you watch the play, those highlights, how many people do you see in the stands.
Speaker 1: Well, they don't blave you. They don't show you the full arena.
Speaker 15: Jim, No, they don't.
Speaker 1: You know, there's a reason. I'm just curious. Do you think it endures? I think Americans don't like racial conflict. I mean I think they really hate it generally, and that anything that is mired in racial conflict they turn their head away from because that was our dark and terrible past with slavery and then the Civil rights movement and Selma, and we don't want to go back there. And President Obama's biggest failing was not doing more. In fact, they made race relations in this country worse, and we don't want that. And so I think the WNBA is committing collective suicide.
Speaker 9: Agree they are like, look, they got their Michael Jordan, they got their phenomenally popular athlete, and they're doing.
Speaker 15: Everything they can to drive her out of the league. It seems when you.
Speaker 9: Talk about this with a typical left of center sports writer, they will cite Jackie Robinson. They will cite the fact that the Washington Redskins were the last team to integrate. They will talk about the Black Power salute at the Olympics back, you know, and they'll say, race and social issues and political issues have always been involved in.
Speaker 15: The sports world.
Speaker 9: Sure, but if you watch ESPN Classic, they're not showing you, uh, you know, stuff primarily about the political debates. They're primarily showing you back when the Cleveland Browns and New York Jets were good, which your only you know which generally is ancient history and time ago.
Speaker 1: Jacks the Browns in the same sentencement, the Jets your honors. Strike that from the record.
Speaker 15: Perhaps right, you guys have never won the Super Bowl. We have so correct that that isn't.
Speaker 1: You won the super Bowl before you were alive? I can remember that super Bowl a super Bowl.
Speaker 15: Either way.
Speaker 9: Being sports is the toy department of life as a sportswriter once. For really, it's where we escape from all these problems. But we're just supposed to have fun, root for our team, root against the other team, and just kind of, you know, enjoy ourselves.
Speaker 15: And when you drag this into.
Speaker 9: It, it becomes a pain in the neck and it becomes controversial. And are you you know, are you sending a like in the DC area? You know, like some people say it says something if you're still wearing Washington Redskins, you know, T shirt or something instead of Washington Commanders.
Speaker 15: Now it might just be it's an old.
Speaker 9: Shirt, but there are some people who are very you know, like they feel like they're making a statement by using somebody.
Speaker 1: Yea double I've got an Indians Ren Spooner shirt that cost too much to throw it away, so I still wear it, but it's not a statement. Now, Kate race in mind, because I'm coming back to talk about one of Jim's closest friends are Sun Piker. After the Break, don't go anywhere, America. I'm going you it that, Jim Garretty, stay with it, Welcome back America. Garretty Washington Post columnist, National Review columnist. He is the editor of The Morning Jolt or the writer of the Morning Jolt every morning, which you ought to be getting from National Review, and he's often funny and always president on the editor, as well as three Martini Lunch podcasts. Jim, I took a cheap shot at you going to Break saying that you and Hassan Piker are buddies. But you're both podcasters, right? Are you a Twitch streamer yet?
Speaker 9: I am not, although Hugh like, aren't there like four Americans left who don't have a podcast?
Speaker 1: It really is.
Speaker 9: The non podcast hosts are the fastest shrinking demographic in America. By the way, I want to thank you and Dwayne for playing the bumper music of Billie Joels. We Didn't Start the Fire, one of my favorite songs. I think a very thorough defense against Arson and you mentioned in the last segment that I've been doing your show since before I had kids, and for a moment I was like, are you kid, And I realize I have a college freshman, and yes, you and I started doing this, I want to say, the two thousand and four cycle.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because I started in two thousand and you were early on.
Speaker 9: So I first heard the name Hassan Piker from my older teenager and so like a demonstration of how has permeated the youth far faster than it, you know, permeates you know, middle aged America. But he's a robotics guy, like both of them are robotics guys. But yeah, that was a you know, like this is big twitch, Like Twitch is like playing video games, and other people watch you playing video games, and I think this is the most unbelievably boring thing you possibly could do. But then again, Hugh writ I watched the Jets games. I'm sure a lot of people think that's like a you know, evidence for for needing a concussion protocol.
Speaker 15: Sort of thing.
Speaker 1: For you, like you and Dan Senor. And there must be a third Jets fan in the me is there like a.
Speaker 15: Dan Foster the late Nathan Wurtzel. I've gotten there.
Speaker 9: There's a bunch of I've not had a chance to get to with Ali Pundit, but do as I understand it, he's a Jet.
Speaker 15: A couple other folks.
Speaker 9: So yeah, like there is a DC Conservative journalist Jets fan group, but every now and then we do get together.
Speaker 1: All right, So now talk to me a little bit about the impact of Hasan Piker on the Democratic Party because my proposition is this, and I'll have you answer it. He says things that are so racist, misogynist, homophobic, and Islamist apologetics that I think he's poisoned. I think he's going to kill Democrats. I think he's already killed. Elsaiad's tendency, L Sayad did a pretty good job himself. What do you think about Piker generally and Piker on L SAE.
Speaker 9: Well, so I noticed that Passan Piker gets a glowing profile in New York Times once every two years or so. He's gotten at least three and I do a big profile on like because all of a sudden he seems to come out of nowhere and you hear a lot of discussion of him, like, Okay, who is this guy? Where did he come from and why is he now somebody? But if you follow politics, you're supposed to care about. I would put a similar category for Jennifer Welch.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, the most.
Speaker 15: Seemingly like the the ugliest person.
Speaker 9: You could possibly imagine on the inside, often saying really ugly, horrible things. And these are the kinds of people on a regular basis, Big institutions like the New York Times or Politico say this is the hot new voice amongst Democrats, and I have come to the conclusion is not just because you and I have been.
Speaker 15: Doing this for so long.
Speaker 9: You anybody who gets spotlighted by the mainstream media as the hot new voice you need to listen to. Nine times out of ten, they're gonna be the dumbest person you've ever seen. And I really wanted to use some words besides person right there, I won't get you in trouble with the FCC hue, but like they're generally dumb as a box of hammers, as sharp as a butter knife.
Speaker 1: Right, because biker does not appear to have read a book, do you think he's read a book.
Speaker 15: Like maybe an instruction manual or something like, yeah, a book?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 9: But because he said most famously, America deserved nine to eleven, right right, and el Sayed, when he gets in trouble for this, keeps saying the quote was taken out of context. Hugh, please explain to me the context in which America deserved nine to eleven makes more sense, which is not as bad as it says.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 9: Eventually, El Sayed goes on the Sunday shows and he says, it was a dumb thing to say. Okay, that is an adjective you could use. I think there's a whole bunch of things and it's you know, appropriate. This is like, we're a month away from the twenty fifth anniversary of nine to eleven, and it just is a I don't know if like it's easier to say that if you either weren't around for nine to eleven or we're a really little kid. But those of us who do have memories of that day would be like, what on earth? Like that's a sign you need to belong in any concussion protocol and no senate candidate of any party should be scup within ten miles of somebody.
Speaker 1: Like that proposition. The Democrats have allowed themselves to be poisoned in the cycle by so many stories about their Nutter fringe in the way that Republicans were poisoned a few years back by their Nutter fringe in the cycle primary nutters. Not only will those people lose, but they will bring other people down with them, so that twenty twenty six is not what Democrats expect it to be. In fact, Republicans might pick up Senate seats in the end.
Speaker 9: What do you think, boy, I you know, from your lips to the electorate's ears, Hugh, But I'm less optimistic than you. But that's pretty normal for this show. One thing I will note, though, is it twenty ten and twenty fourteen terrible midterm election years for the Democrats.
Speaker 15: And that's where you say.
Speaker 9: Republicans winning, you know, coast to coast, and that's where the state legislator who was running for Congress lost, right, That's where the House.
Speaker 15: Member who was running for Senate lost.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 9: When you have a bad midterm election year, not only do you lose coast to coast, it generally takes out some of your rising talent. And some oftimes these people come back shared ground is running again, but by and large you end up having much So when you see this sudden excitement over a Grand Platner type or an Abduled type one. I think the Democrats, you see this hunger for generational change, this lingering hangover from Joe Biden, which I wrote about in my Washington Post column this week, that like the the the risks of having somebody who's really elderly was abundant, Like the Democrats paid the worst price possible for that, so they're they're freaked out by it. So like we want young people, we want fresh voices, We need this generational change. And that's why anybody who comes along Graham Platner, Abdula Sied Francesca hang for a while.
Speaker 15: Obviously she's not going to the governor's mansion.
Speaker 9: Now, all of a sudden like that, you get embraced and you get elevated, and you get touted as the next big thing. And the problem is a bunch of these people haven't been vetted. A bunch of these people have been Yahoo's online with a lot of regrettable comments for a whole bunch of years. And the other thing, which I think is aparant these people generally haven't run for office before.
Speaker 15: Abdul Sayad is an exception.
Speaker 9: There they they they're not they're not ready for prime time. They're not ready to be in this situation. And that's why you see. You know, Francisca hung bleuw a primary she was supposed to win by a wide margin.
Speaker 15: We'll see how Abdullah say.
Speaker 1: Ed does and go out to be a Turkey. Same jokes. It's like Statler Hilton on the Muppets. Guaranty the indispensable. Read the morning Joelt from National Review. Read him into the lodgmin folks. Catch him here and at various educational institutions. If you're robotics soon, thank you, Jim. I'll be right back