Speaker 1: Life audio of today's episode of Timeless Wisdom.
Speaker 2: Now, I have a topic today which inverts, reverses exactly. It doesn't undo, it's just reverses everything I always say about how we have a moral obligation to be happy, right because happy people do more good. Now I'm going to turn it all the way around one hundred and eighty degrees and tell you that the opposite is also true, that good people are more happy.
Speaker 1: That's coming up on Timeless Wisdom with Dennis Prager. Welcome to Timeless Wisdom with Dennis Prager. Here thousands of hours of Dennis's lectures, courses in classic radio programs, and to purchase Dennis Prager's Rational Bibles, go to Dennisprager dot com.
Speaker 2: You have no idea? How many of you write to me that I should sing no idea? People stop me in the street. I'm not kidding, And I say this in Alan's presence.
Speaker 3: That's right.
Speaker 2: It's the Happiness Hour on the Dennis Prager Show. And I welcome you special Welcome to Tom t All Right. Here we go, Come on, Sean, here we go. Everybody. Alan, don't listen.
Speaker 3: It's the happy, happy, Happy, happy Hour. Yes, it is it's the happy, Happy, Happy, Happy Hour. Hi everybody, it's the Happiness Hour. Every week at this time, come hella, high water, whatever it might be. We devote an hour every week at this time to the subject of happiness. Because happy people make the world better, and because we have a moral obligation to be happy, we owe it to everyone in our lives.
Speaker 2: Our spouse is, our children, our parents, our friends, our co workers, the person we sit next to on an airplane. You ever sit next to a person on the plane who was sour or it's not a fun trip, And that's a total stranger. And that's just a couple of hours. So imagine somebody you have to live with or be related to. Yeah, it's a very big subject. That's huge. Now I have a topic today which inverts, reverses exactly. It doesn't undo, it's just reverses everything I always say about how we have a moral obligation to be happy, right, because happy people do more good. Now I'm going to turn it all the way around one hundred and eighty degrees and tell you that the opposite is also true, that good people are more happy. How do you like that? I want you to call me if you know mean spirited people and think they're happy, and I'll bet I don't get many calls because when you think think about the people in your life, you tend I mean the people you know best, whether it is at the office or whether it is relative a relative. I won't say friend, because if you have a mean spirited friend, you have a very strange choice and friends, so I excluded that. But folks, it should be self evident on a moment's notice that the kinder folks that you know tend to be the happier folks, and certainly, even more clearly, the mean spirited ones are less happy. So how do you like that? Not only do happy people do more good, the people who do more good, and I don't mean do more good on a macro level. See that's a very interesting thing. In other words, they have joined a wonderful organization that raises funds for for cancer research. As much as I'm for that and support it, of course I am, and that is a factor in a person's goodness. But I'm now talking about daily relations, where in daily relations in the micro realm, in the personal realm, the people who are less mean spirited are usually the ones who are happier. Now there's a question of which comes first, the chicken or the egg. Is it that they're happier and therefore they are more good, or they are doing more good they are kinder and therefore they are more happy, And the answer is both both are true. In other words, goodness and happiness feed each other. The happy do more good, and the good are more happy. How do you like that? One? Eight Praeger seven seven six is the number one eight p r a Ger seven seven six. That's something for people to think about when they think about how they treat other people. All there is really a selfish in the best sense of selfish component to treating people well. How do you like that? You think you're being selfish when you're selfish, and you are. But the truth is that if you were really concerned with how much happiness you will have in life, you wouldn't be so selfish. You would treat people better. You would could be care about people more as a rule. As a rule, there are many exceptions to this rule, but as a rule, you get treated back the way you treat people, and that will increase your happiness by and large. If you treat people decently, if you will be treated decently. And if you think that you are going through life getting shafted by everybody that you know, you are the kind one and everybody is just treating you miserably, there is something probably a little wrong in your perception. Probably it is possible that you are the victim of nearly everybody you know, but it is most unlikely. So I am giving you today the notion that you will be happier if you treat people better talking about you will be happier if you go on a twenty six k walk for breast cancer or AIDS. That may well be too. I am all for macro goodness, absolutely, but I am now talking about the way in which we treat people in our individual life, not the not the large macro values. So here's my question. Do you agree that good people are happier? That's my question one eight Prager seven seven six or do you would you say? You know what, Dennis, there is really no correlation. Unfortunately, a lot of selfish people are happy. A lot of people who treat others not so great, they're happy. That has not been my experience in life that by and large, the people who treat other people well are happier they get they get back, and I'll get to tell you the biggest reward, you know what, the biggest reward of goodness friends, that's the biggest reward. The mean spirited do not have friends. They have acquaintances. They have they have friends in the sense of, you know, people that they could visit perhaps or go to the movies with. But uh mm mmmmm, it doesn't work because why would you Why would anybody really be able to trust you? If you're not good and without trust, there really isn't friendship. Let's be honest. One eight Praguer seven seven six one eight p R A G E R seven seven six is the phone number, and let's go to some of your calls here on this. Do you believe that the kind to people are happier? Or am I talking an ideal a sort of fantasy world. We begin in Chicago and Dave, Hello, Dave, Dennis Prager.
Speaker 4: Hi, Denni's a long time listener, first time call it a pleasure to speak with you.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much.
Speaker 4: I just wanted to say. I think happiness is a choice. And when you decide to put your treasure in someone or something, your heart is going to incline towards that. For example, I've been married ten years. In there times where maybe the spark is not there, but if out of a decision of the will that I want that to change, I decide I'm going to bring my wife flowers once a week for a month or something like that, my heart begins to incline more towards her. And that's a result of the decision I made to act right.
Speaker 2: I totally agree with you. I'm a big behaviorist. My motto in my lectures is the deed shapes the heart far more than the heart shapes the deed.
Speaker 4: I agree. I'm a Christian, and it comes right out of the Sermon of the Mount where Jesus says where your treasure is, or your heart will be also right.
Speaker 2: So here's the question here is how does this relate though to my subject that if you're the more good you are, the happier you will be.
Speaker 4: Well, I think it's you asked about the chicken in the egg. I don't think that good deeds come out of being happy.
Speaker 2: All they do. They do, though, they don't only come out of being happy. But to Dave, let's be let's talk real. Most people when something very good happens in their lives, are far more inclined to treat people well than when they are unhappy. Right, Okay, all right, So that's what I'm saying. You see that it's very important to be real, folks, very important. We sometimes and I'm not saying Dave did this at all, but sometimes religious people and I am religious, so I have no problem in saying this. Sometimes religious people will will cite versus and cite doctrines and cite beliefs, and they're all legitimate, but they somehow don't think that you can be fully human at the same time and look at reality, and the reality is that happy people, not just religious people, but happy people will do more good. And not all religious people do more good. There are unhappy religious people. I've talked about that a number of times. In fact, I don't know if I've talked about that recently. We ought to do that one more time another time, But right now I'm telling you, folks, and it's worth telling your kids this. If they want to be happy, they have a much better chance if they treat people well than if they don't. Much better chance, in fact, the other way is impossible. The happiness hour, and the Dennis Prager Show continues.
Speaker 1: This episode of Timeless Wisdom will continue right after this. Now back to more of Dennis Prager's timeless wisdom.
Speaker 2: You're listening to the Dennis Prager Show. There is the Happiness Hour. I begin almost every Happiness Hour by telling you that the happy people do more good. And now I'm telling you that the more good you are, the happier you will be. They are both interrelated because a lot of people wonder, gee, why do these bad people have it good? That is one of the oldest questions in humanity, from the book of Joe Bond. Why do bad people prosper? Well? They may prosper in some ways, but the are they happier in your life? That's my question, not not looking at the newspaper, in your life, among people you know best. Do you believe that the people who are the most mean spirited towards others are just as likely to be happy as the people who are kind toward others. That's my question to you. That's the best way to ascertain, not in general, but from the basis on the people you know one eight Prager seven seven six and in Irvine, California, Hugh. Hello, Hugh, Dennis Prager, Hi Dennis.
Speaker 5: I love your show. You're the greatest unknown professor I've ever.
Speaker 2: Had, the greatest you don't you meannown unknown in the sense that you don't know me exactly? Okay, fine, okay?
Speaker 5: Is this I used to be a probably twelve step and as you know, you've probably heard of this, they had the whole sacanty and make it philosophy, which you know I do agree with a certain degree, But then I've had a lot of and also Christian. I have a lot of Christian friends that they're cool twelve step, but they also say, you know, you don't want to be like a whitewash tune, like one of the Pharisees, you know that's all clear on the outside but full of dead men's bones and desolation on the inside. So there they have also emphasized you you need to work clean yourself out on the inside and then it'll sort of shape your outside behavior. And it's just one of the things that's kind of kept me up at night sometimes, you know, before I go to sleep, like is there a more right way?
Speaker 2: This is a terrific question, terrific and I and I will be totally candid with you. This is one of those areas where and I am, you know, one of the biggest defenders and advocates of of of the Christian American that that exists today. My life is devoted to Judeo Christian values. But this particular idea is not my idea. I agree with the twelve step program more than I do with many of your fellow Christians on this matter, don't. I don't even understand how how one goes about cleaning one's insides fully because we're God didn't make us saints. He made us human and our and inside of us is a whole host of conflicting emotions, desires, lusts, et cetera. And I am much more interested. And I think I think God is. People say God God measures the heart, and I agree with that. I think God does judge the heart. But the heart of the person who was wilfully doing good is a good heart. You see, the very fact that you have decided to treat others well before, so to speak, cleaning up your insides shows that your insides are already very good. The very fact that you want to do good, What does that say about your heart? Very?
Speaker 5: Very Yeah? Very well put.
Speaker 2: Thank you, okay, thank you? Boy? Am I happy you called? I mean, I get that a lot from from religious folks, especially Christians. To be precise here about you know this, laying awake, lying, lying awake, asleep, lying asleep. Boy, that's pretty bad lying asleep, I tell you, lying awake at night and not being able to fall asleep, whether metaphorically or literally, because they know that they're they're not pure inside. There's no such thing as pure inside. It doesn't exist. It's the issue is our behavior and the very fact you see when when when Jesus was criticizing the Pharisees, it wasn't over they're acting ethically and having impure insides. It was their acting ritually and having impure you were insides. That's the difference. Jesus never said, look all the kind things that you're doing, but I know inside it you know you're not You're not kind. No, never, it's a misunderstanding, and and and and it certainly and he certainly didn't apply to all Pharisees. I mean that too is important. But yes, there is there is an element of ritualistic observance in religion that is not accompanied by goodness, and it is disgusting, and it was. And Jesus was not the first Jew to say that. Isaiah spoke, who I don't need your sacrifices. If you're not good people, you can keep your sacrifices. In other words, keep your rituals. But never ever, ever think that your insides are more important than your than your ethical, decent behavior. Never, not in God's eyes, not in human's eyes. And I'm glad that was raised, because a lot of people are confused on that matter. And again, doesn't it show how good your insides are that you do want to act good? Well, what does it say about you that you do fight your other parts? You will never, as humans have a pure inside, never never, And some of the very best people on earth have a particularly impure inside which they know that they have to fight. In fact, there's a famous Hebrew saying that the bigger the righteous man, the bigger his will to do bad. That a person who has no will to do bad is less likely to be a particularly good person. All right, one eighth Prager seven seven six. Return to this matter of Remember, this is the happiness hour, is not a theological hour. But I'll take you I take anything. That's fine. And if you feel there's a conflict, as you just heard, then call in. I don't believe there's a conflict. I believe that the best religion wants us to be happy, that God wants us to be happy. In fact, I think God considers it an insult if you walk around unhappy, especially if you appear to be religious. So I go back to my the thesis of this particular happiness hour. Just as the happy do more good, those who do more good are more likely to be happy. And people don't think that all the time because they often think that the bad are prospering. Ah, all right, let's go too Alrighty Beaverton, Oregon and Gregory. Hello, Gregory, Dennis Prager, Hi there.
Speaker 6: You know, I'm really glad to get on. It's a great topic. And I think people who love people are by definition happier.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's certainly true, isn't that really?
Speaker 6: What you're saying, we're being nice and doing good is a way of expressing love and a way of loving people, and then you get more energy back and there's that great balance of give and take that kind of engages in like, oh this feels good. So I'm going to do it more and what I'm doing is a benefit to others, and then I'm getting back something that's a benefit to me, which is more energy.
Speaker 2: And that's right, that's right.
Speaker 6: You're on the same page, so, you know, because it's the network of relationships that we build in our lives that really determine a lot of our happiness. When we think of a favorite vacation spot or a favorite town a city that we've lived in, then what we're really usually thinking of is the nature of the relationship.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the people that we were with are the people that we love. That's exactly right. Anyway, goodness generally brings back goodness to you. And you know what, and if it doesn't, so it doesn't, so you'll be hurt by somebody. Okay, better than wearing an armored suit back in a moment.
Speaker 1: This episode of Timeless Wisdom will continue right after this. Now back to more of Dennis Prager's Timeless Wisdom.
Speaker 2: All everything.
Speaker 7: Too, Yeah, that's right, if you win it tongues, And I would like to know if this song alan touches someone in his or her twenties as it does those of us who are older.
Speaker 2: I really I'm wondering if I mean, this precedes our generation too. I mean, you know, he was not singing when I was listening to music. But I do wonder if it's generational.
Speaker 8: I don't think it's so much generational. I think though, you have to have some experience in life, you have to sort of have seen a lot of things. There's something about Jimmy Duranty that when you get a little bit older, there's a tone in.
Speaker 2: His voice of that's right, the bitter sweet, Yeah.
Speaker 8: The bittersweet, and you don't have a sense of bittersweet until all right.
Speaker 2: That's a good point. So it's not a matter of what you were raised with. It's literally a matter of experience.
Speaker 8: That's what I would say.
Speaker 2: You're probably right one, Ad Prager seven seven six. This is the happiness hour. I am making the point that isn't made often enough, and that is the one that I make that's almost never made, that happy people do more good that I make every week. But I am now just reversing it that the people who do more good are also happier, and I am. And that's why that call earlier was so important. And forgive me, I just forgot do you remember the man's name. That was such a good and important call, and I treasure I'd really treasure that call because he was so honest. I am, my friends, a huge behaviorist, and I'll put this down for a future happiness hour. I believe that behavior is more important than feelings. I don't believe that always. In other words, I don't believe that. For example, in purely religious ritual there I believe that the intent and the is also critical. But in daily life, with behavior toward humans, there's no question behavior is more important than feelings. Of course, do I care? Do I care whether or not the vast majority of people or you care? Okay, forget me, but do any of you care whether the vast majority of people you meet in daily life love you? Know you care about how they treat you. I don't expect the waiter to love me. I expect the waiter to treat me nicely. That's what matters to me. Behavior is so important. That's why people have lost this. This has been lost completely. That's why people say it doesn't matter how you dress when you go to church, that behavior is irrelevant. All that matters is that you are there, that you have a religious heart. That you are thinking about God. God doesn't care how you dress. That we live in an anti behaviorist age where it's all your intention, not your behavior that matters. But I believe that casual dress going to church in shorts and a tank top reflects some something inside of you, because you wouldn't do that at the Academy Awards, would you. So what you're saying is that you will treat actors and actresses better then you will treat a house of God. That's what you're saying. So I don't even I judge people by their behavior period and of issue. And so that's my argument is even if you have selfish and who doesn't selfish desires, and even if you have impure insights, act good, act, treat people in your life nicely, you will be happier. That's my argument. Don't wait for a change of heart, don't alrighty, go to some of your calls here one eight prager seven seven six is eight seven seven two four to three triple seven six John in Chicago, Hi, Hi, Dennis, Hi, Hi, I.
Speaker 9: Just wanted to tell you that that song you were just playing, I'm twenty three years old and I was just thinking as it was playing what a great song?
Speaker 2: You know, I was listening to the Well there you go, isn't that nice? Twenty three year old loves it. We got to get him the name. Where could he find that well? I'll let you know as soon as we come back, because we we let people know where the music is wrong. We'll be back in a moment. You're listening to the Dennis Prager Show. All right, maybe happiness are on the Dennis Prager Show. Happy people make the world more good, and the people who act more good are happier. So I'm talking about part two here that those of you who think that the mean and the selfish prosper and the good they they get their losers, or they they lose out in the happiness sweepstakes. You're wrong. They may make less money. I'll acknowledge that. I don't say that if you are good you will make more money. I say you will be happier one aid Praguer seven seven six And let's go. So we're gonna now where does this so the Jimmy Duranty song the young man in the Chicago wanted to know what what what you give me? I'll announce it on the air or what that's so fine it for me. I'll announce it all right, let's go two?
Speaker 7: Uh?
Speaker 2: Is it eta? I'm sorry? Isla in Los Angeles. Dennis Praguer high Hi.
Speaker 10: I think that both can It can go both ways. You know, people are kind, do the good, ads good to do good deeds, but that sometimes also doing good deeds can make somebody more kind. And there was actually a study where they took prisoners and they gave animals, and they were to care for the animals, and through caring for them, they actually learned some of them for the first time to actually care for another living being, and they became more kind because of that, and there were less behavioral problems with them as well. I think it can go both ways.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it does. And that's a behavioristic point. In other words, they started to act good and so they became better. Yes, yeah, that's right, we're talking happiness. But that's absolutely accurate. By the way, I will say that, it is my general belief that the treatment of animal issue goes more the other way. That people who are cruel to animals will be cruel to people. I find that to be truer than people who are good to animals will be good to people. But I think in the specific case of inmates, having to take care of a of an animal may may help them become more orderly and and you know all the good things that we want from an inmate. So yeah, I'm prepared to believe that. I thank you, Ila, and let's go to oak Brook, Illinois and Chris Chris Dennis Prager High.
Speaker 9: Hi, Dennis. I do work for mother Treesa's nuns here in the city.
Speaker 2: Oh well, they do a suit.
Speaker 9: Kitchen, they want a shelter for unwed mothers. He's nuns and me, I'll take them to the eye doctor or whatever. You're around them. They're constantly smiling, but it's genuine. It's not you know, an artificial smile. It's a genuine smile. And they're constantly sacrificing and helping other people in the inner city. And it's it's like you get more out of going there and being around these nuns. Yeah, and they get from you helping them.
Speaker 2: I believe that. I'm beyond believe that. I am sure you are right talking specifically about nuns. I remember being in Phoenix. I have this on video because it remember I don't know some of you who really follow my show will recall I had a New Year's resolution for two thousand and five to make a video diary of my ear and I pretty much kept it up. And I took there for my video on my lectures around the country, and one of them was in Phoenix and it was at a synagogue and there were nuns who came. And these nuns afterwards at the reception after the talk, they did it. They they this was the Nuns order responsible for the plaques at the Grand Canyon, that those little plaques from that had verses from Psalms, How great are Thy work? So Lord, for example? And I fought for those plaques after the ACLU in you know, the ACLU was an entire division to find anything that smacks of Judeo Christian values to remove them from the public sphere. This is this The ACLU considers this a virtue to do that. It's twisted, but that is that is their view. America would be better without that plaque, that little plaque at the Grand Canyon. It's a better country. And I fought for those and they got them back with the help of my friends like Senator Blendeu in the Arizona legislature. We got a back there. So they came and these nuns did a dance around me, and they just radiated joy of life. They just did, and I feel that way within. That's a Christian example. I give you a Jewish example, the kabbad rabbis around America who have their rabbad houses in virtually every city in the country. And the distinguishing feature of them is their happiness, is their joyful personality. Now do they ever go to bed worried or depressed? They may, Well, I'm talking to you though, about their demeanor, and I think it has a deep effect. I know it has a deep effect on others. I think it has a deep effect on themselves. Where is the verse? You should just serve, serve the Lord and happiness. Serve God and happiness. Is it from the psalms you do with chembassy, Because that's that's what I read. I don't remember where it's from anyway, It's it's a it's a great great it's a great point. Unhappy religious people. You know what I say to unhappy religious people is what I say to them, Please get happy, because you give God and your religion a bad name. But if you can't get happy. Please stop being religious because it's a disservice. Josh Monument, Colorado. Dennis Prager, Hi, how are.
Speaker 11: You, Dennis?
Speaker 2: Good? Thanks?
Speaker 11: I just string that that song from Jamie Durante. I'm twenty five, and I guess uh, I guess Alan was talking about how it's more of a life experience experience.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 11: Well, in my case, I think it's more the values I was raised with, because the values from that song in the period were very different from the values and songs of now.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's just wow, when you're twenty five and saying that. By the way, are you saying that Alan was wrong?
Speaker 11: Not wrong?
Speaker 2: But that's good because he's very hurt. Tell I'm sorry, all right, I'll tell them, I'll tell them anyway. Oh by, it's Sleepless in Seattle. That's it, the soundtrack Alan and Josh and everybody listening. That is one of my five Desert Island discs. The Sleepless in Seattle soundtrack, one great love song after another, including the Jimmy Duranty. All right, we'll be back in a moment final segment of the Happiness there if you want to get in one, Aid Prager seven seven six.
Speaker 1: This episode of Timeless Wisdom will continue right after this. Now back to more of Dennis Prager's Timeless Wisdom.
Speaker 2: All right, everybody, final segment of this edition of The Happiness Hour. Don't let anybody fool you into thinking that the bad are happier the selfish. It's not true. They may make more money for a while. After all, crooks will do better for a while. It's just the nature of things. And the selfish may prevail in other ways. But I'll tell you what they don't have. They don't have close friends. And you can't be happy without close friends. That's definitional, my friends. So my argument this hour is not only the happy people do more good, but the people who do more good. And I don't mean just macro, I mean primarily even micro in rtherwards interpersonal relationship good. A lot of people have unfortunately substituted macro idealism for personal decency and that's a big problem. Alrighty, let's go to David in Chicago. David Dennis Prager.
Speaker 12: Hi, all right, Dennis, I just wanted to comment on Well, you made a comment about it's more important to be do nice things and that would change you on the inside. Yes, And I I just in a way I understand what you're saying. As far as when you do good things, it makes other people happier, and.
Speaker 2: It makes you and it makes and it changes your insides too.
Speaker 12: Well, that's where I'm kind of I kind of disagree because with the nuns, they do good things and and made the other guy happy, and that's understandable because they have something that he was missing in a way. Maybe possibly for some people. But I think if you're dealing with things on the inside, these things that make you unhappy, then they need to be addressed first, whether it's repentance or just recognizing it and trying to turn from it.
Speaker 2: And uh, well, how can you repent without changing your behavior?
Speaker 12: Well, that that's what I think. If you try to just change your behavior, then it kind of in a lot of people's lives, they live a double life. They look like someone on the outside, but then when they go home at night and they have immoral problems or they have just other self esteem problems, whatever it is, that's still there.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, but but it doesn't negate the good that they have done. What would you rather them do? Continue to do bad? During the day.
Speaker 9: No.
Speaker 12: I mean, for example, if someone's struggling with immorality, like what then like, like.
Speaker 2: What struggling with?
Speaker 9: What?
Speaker 2: Everybody struggles with immorality? What are you referring to?
Speaker 12: Okay, say someone is struggling with I don't know, or say someone struggling with pornography, Yeah, okay, and it's making them. That's their way of satisfying their needs, right, and so they do that. But they then when it's all over and done, they're still just as sad and unhappy as before. And going and doing something nice from somebody doesn't take that problem away.
Speaker 2: It doesn't take that problem away, but it takes other problems away, and it still will increase their happiness. I am not I always say, folks, I'm not for producing saints. I'm for producing better people. By the way, Jerry and Longbach I wish he was Jimmy Duranty's mail man and said he lived the message of the song. Now, folks, call in on anything you want.
Speaker 1: On tomorrow's episode of Dennis Teaches the Tora.
Speaker 13: Now you have to understand something here. I'd like to point out a very important thing here. If your brother came with this dream to you would you answer him and say, hey, do.
Speaker 14: You intend to rain over us? You and your other siblings?
Speaker 13: You'd say, what kind of pompous idiocy? Go go back to sleep and dream your ego centric dreams that have a nice night.
Speaker 14: Right, But can you be disturbed? They're disturbed.
Speaker 13: They don't make fun of him, They don't make fun of the dream.
Speaker 14: The problem here is the problem of the Jews. Historically.
Speaker 1: Come back tomorrow for Dennis Prager's signature series. In the first five books of the Bible, Dennis teaches the Torah. This has been timeless wisdom with Dennis Prager. Visit Dennisprager dot com for thousands of hours of Dennis's lectures, courses in classic radio programs, and to purchase Dennis Prager's Rational Bibles. We want to take just a second to thank the team at Life Audio for their partnership with us on the podcast. Go to lifeaudio dot com to find dozens of other faith centered podcasts and their network, including shows about prayer, Bible study, parenting, and more.