Speaker 1: Welcome to today's podcast sponsored by Hillsdale College, All Things hillsdalet Hillsdale dot ed or. I encourage you to take advantage of the many free online courses there, and of course I'll listen to the Hillsdale dialogues, all of them at Hugh for Hillsdale dot com or just Google, Apple iTunes and Hillsdale Laurie and even Grace America. On this Monday, July twenty seventh, I'm Hugh hewitt all Is for the moment calm over the skies of Iran. We'll keep our eyes on that and keep you posted about whether or not it stays that way throughout the show. Senator Tom Cotton coming along today, Doctor Michael Laurin Farmer, Israeli Ambassador, the United States Rear Admiral Mark Montgomery, retired United States Navy, will be along and more. Don't go anywhere. I start though, with Doctor fauci diaries. Over the weekend, Rand Paul, Senator from Kentucky, released Dr Fauci's diary, which had been turned over to the Senate, and they make for pretty extraordinary reading. Doctor Fauci had an ego problem. I interviewed him a few times throughout COVID. I began as an admirer. Then I grew increasingly skeptical, and by September of twenty twenty one, I thought he should leave because I thought he was doing a lot more harm than good. And he came on the show and we talked about it. So when I'm going to play a few cuts from that interview from twenty twenty one September twenty ninth, twenty twenty one, then I'm going to read you doctor Fauci's diary entry cut number six. My interview with doctor Fauci asked, I'm told by people in the room that you knew there were a shortage of masks, so you told people not to wear masks so that we didn't have a run on masks. I actually understand that as public policy. I've read the account, I've talked to the people in the room. I know that you purposely told the noble lie to prevent us running out of masks in hospitals. I think it's bad policy, but I understand the motive, and I understand changing. I changed my mind every day. Yeah I'm on the air. Every day, stuff happens. I change my mind. But what you said earlier. It's just facts. Sometimes it's just a fact that Tony Fauci, not the guy I'm talking with, but Tony Fauci, the person in people's mind, is now an impediment to public health because people won't listen to you. They actively reject what Tony Fauci says for reasons which are complicated, I have to do with psychology, mass communication, social media. But can you accept that if that's just a fact, you ought to respond to it and say, mister President, I think my time is up as a successful and effective spokesperson.
Speaker 2: You know, with all due respect to you, you who I do respect you and your intellect. I just completely disagree with that premise because there are an awful lot of people who do listen, who do the right thing from a public health standpoint. So because there are a lot of people who have ideas about conspiracy and changing minds and flip flopping, that's not.
Speaker 3: A reason to step down, not at all.
Speaker 2: When I was involved forty years ago with HIV and the activist community were looking at me as a representative of the face of the federal government and we're trying to get things done, and it looked like we were at odds in the sense of really country essentially being hostile to each other, which we weren't. That would have been interpreted as g the people who were involved in this particular difficult and devastating outbreak, don't like what you're doing.
Speaker 1: Why don't you step down?
Speaker 2: As a matter of fact, as it turned out, we got close, they understood. I brought them into the dialogue, into the discussion, and the world and the community were much better off with that. So the idea that people right now are not listening to what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: What I'm saying is the truth.
Speaker 1: All right? Cut number seven? Oh is there comes a point where it is simply a matter of fact that Tony Fauci in the era of social media is different than Tony of Vauci at the beginning of HIV. And if a new face for the program developed, we would see an increase in vaccines, in an increase in booster use. So if that data is presented to you that more people would get vaccinated if you left the scene, would you leave the scene? Hugh?
Speaker 2: I think that is a completely false narrative that people are not getting vaccinated because of me.
Speaker 1: I am very sorry. I've told you.
Speaker 2: I've known you a long time and I respect you, but I totally reject that people are not getting vaccinated because of me?
Speaker 3: Are you kidding me?
Speaker 4: Hugh?
Speaker 1: Come on, okay, cut number eight the view. But there is a large segment of the American people that doesn't trust you now, and that can't be undone. So I want I want you to be able to just speak to them. I know your heart, I know your public service. But if you're an obstacle to getting vaccination rates up, should you step aside?
Speaker 2: I am not an obstacle to getting vaccinations up. Qu That is a completely false narrative that I would have to absolutely reject.
Speaker 1: Okay, then then if you're are you persuadable on facts? If people show you polling, would that change your mind?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 2: So people are saying I'm not getting vaccinated because doctor Fauci is in the government. Are you kidding me?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 1: Actually, I believe that's the truth. Doctor. I believe that you have it.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry you that that is ridiculous.
Speaker 1: How do you think you're understood by the center, right, doctor? I really don't know that you know this. You might have a blind side here. How do you think you're understood, not by conspiracy theorist. I'm not concerned with the three percent, you're not concerned with the fifty nine percent.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but Hugh, you are creating an absolutely false narrative that people sit down and say, you know, I don't want I know that vaccines are good. I know that they may save my life and that they may save the life of my family, and that I have a societal responsibility in order to keep this outbreak under control and to get it really under control. But I'm just not going to get vaccinated because of Tony Fauci hughe.
Speaker 1: Not hearing me, No way, not hearing and then my final cut from the September twenty ninth, twenty twenty one interview cut number nine a doctor, you're not hearing me. I'm saying, people see you come on and they turn off the channel because they don't like you. Whereas a new face arrives, a new, younger face that says, okay, new start. I'm never going to tell you that masks don't need to be Warren, because I got it. If a new person shows up, I think we're more effective. Last response to you, Okay, so you have Rachelle Wilenski, a new young face saying exactly the same thing. You have the Vick Murphy, a new young face saying exactly the same thing. So even though they are new young faces and saying exactly the same thing, I'm saying, people are not getting vaccinated because of me. Hugh, Sorry, you go back and analyze that. That's I will. We'll have that conversation. So he never came back. By the way, he never came back because I suggest that you resigned. Turns out he went home and wrote a diary entry that that I'll read to you right now. This is doctor Fauci writing. Had a very tough and ridiculous interview with Hugh Hewitt. Hugh, who is usually a reasonable albeit very conservative person, was extremely aggressive with me in an interview in which he kept insisting that people are not getting vaccinated because I am telling him to get vaccinated and strongly suggested that I step down and retire since I'm an obstacle to people getting vaccinated. He quoted a survey saying that middle to right people want me to retire and are not getting vaccinated because I'm the messenger telling them to get vaccinated. Truly, an incredible train of thought on his part. He said we needed fresh faces telling people to get vaccinated, and if we had fresh faces, then people would get vaccinated. I countered by saying, we do have fresh faces in the form of Rachelle Lensky and Bevec Murphy. And so does he consider that, although three of us are saying to get vaccinated, including two new fresh faces, that people are not getting vaccinated and merely because I'm one of three people telling them to get vaccinated. Question. I've never heard a more distorted train of thought. This conversation triggered in me some serious thinking about several things, including when I would actually want to retire from the untenable situation that I am in of having tens of millions of people hate me because I stand for the truth. Also, this nonsense about conflating the discussion about gain of function with the lab leak theory is preposterous and totally distracting and draining of everyone's energy. Richard Ebright, with his gain of function obsession, is a total ahole who is pushing this theory because he wants to be somebody. I'm terribly disappointed with. Jesse Bloom and David Rollman for doing somewhat of the same thing. They have been pushing to stop any gain of function research for a long time, and I believe that in some respects they are pushing for an eat and even hoping for that. It was a lab leak, which the molecular analysis of the viruses that we use in the lab compared to virus stars OVID two clearly indicate is impossible. The opposition to me is part of the big lie locker up. Trump won the election January sixth with a friendly visit to the Capitol the China virus and Trump was correct fire foul chief. Since he was wrong all along, let's discredit him. Quite frankly, I'm coming to the realization that our democracy is truly threatened, and that it is possible, even likely, that our democracy will crumble with the twenty twenty four election. If Trump fin wins, we are finished. If Trump loses, his right wing lunatics will try and overthrow the election, and where the attempts to have state legislatures validate the electoral votes, I'm really afraid they might be successful. Having said all of this, there's no way I'm going to retire before this outbreak is under control. I'll get your comments on doctor Fauci and that twenty eight hundreds by two oh one two three Welcome back America. I'm you you at my phone numbers one eight hundred and five to two oh one two three four my priors. I like doctor Fauci. I had at least two. I can't remember how many times he was on. Doctor Collins was on three times as well. I'm a big booster. The booster I got the vaccine. I've been boosted twice. I'm done. I never got to my knowledge COVID, for which I'm grateful. And I think doctor Fauci may have just been the wrong guy at too old an age. And his diaries are an indictment of ego. It's about all about Tony, and you can read him kind of sad. It indicts a number of people in the media didn't keep their distance appropriately from It's okay to like him, it's okay to get mad at him, but she can't pal around with him. And I didn't never met him in person, but after my tough interview and he wrote that diary entry, I just want to go back in the interview. If you were listening to the first segment, he rejects my premise entirely that people aren't getting vaccinated because of himself. But when he went to a Dear Diary, he wrote the conversation with Hugh triggering me some serious thinking about several things, including when I would actually want to retire from the untenable situation that I am in of having tens of millions of people hate me because I stand for the truth. All Right, The admission there is that tens of millions of people hate him. If you hate someone, it's highly unlikely they're going to persuade you to get a vaccine or a booster. If you hate someone, they're going to turn you up. That was the point I was making to it. But what was a revelation to me? I never really believed until this weekend that doctor Fauci had TDS. But at the end of this diaryh entry again. It's the September twenty ninth, twenty twenty one diar entry of doctor Fauci released by Senator Ran Paul. All of his diaries. The opposition to me is part of the big lie, Lock her up. Trump won the election. January sixth, was a friendly visit to the Capitol the China virus, and Trump was correct. Fire Fauci since he was wrong all along, and so let's discredit him and so on. Quite frankly, Tauci continues, I'm finally coming to the realization that our democracy is truly threatened, and that it is possible, even likely, that our democracy will crumble with the twenty twenty four election. If Trump wins, we are finished. If Trump loses, his far right lunatics will likely try again to overthrow the election, and with the attempts to have state legislators republican validate the electoral votes, I am really afraid that they might be successful. Having said all of this, there's no way that I am going to retire before the outbreak is under control. Okay, that's full blown TDS. It's also an admission against interest. It tells you he was aware of exactly what I was trying to make the argument about, and I don't wish him any ill. It's going to be a long hearing with Doctor Paul, because those those diaries go on and on and on and on and on, and they're mostly about Tony Fauci on this show and Tony Fauci on that show. And rarely did he run into someone like me who would politely ask the obvious questions about effectiveness. So I don't know how it's going to go from here. But what do you think, Star in Pennsylvania? I Star, You're on the Uquit show.
Speaker 6: Hi.
Speaker 7: You hope you're doing well?
Speaker 1: I am.
Speaker 7: My opinion is I don't think that COVID was handled correctly. From the ghetto. My entire family did not get fascinated. We did not get COVID, and yet we watched friends and other family members that did get vaccinated get COVID and we lost some of them.
Speaker 1: Well, So I'm going to give you my I want to be clear with the audience that's new to my show. I did get vaccinated. Anecdotal evidence is evidence of anecdotes. The overwhelming evidence is that COVID was real, it was dangerous, and the vaccines were efficacious. I got all my advice during the entire year and a half to two years from my older brother Microft, who is the PhD in toxicology. Who would you give me advice on this? He told me avoid the Jay and Jay get the pfizer of the Maderna. And I'm very, very grateful to the people who developed it. And I know a lot of people who died, not a lot, a few people who died from COVID before the virus vaccine was available, So I don't want to relitigate that. All I'm saying is that when we have a public health crisis in the future, we can't let individuals put their egos in front of science and effective communication. And I think doctor Fauci did that. I think he did a great disservice to the country after about six months, and maybe there ought to be a mandatory retirement age for people upon whom we don't get to vote, because I think he was too old to do the job. He fell in love with the coverage.
Speaker 7: I agree, I agree absolutely, I agree.
Speaker 1: All right, Sar, thank you. I want to talk to Mike in Glendora, California. Hello, Mike, you're on the huu AT show one eight hundred five two oh one, two three four. Take a couple more calls before I get to get back to the other news.
Speaker 6: All right, thank you, Hugh. This is Mike, Givin and Sophia taking their bar zam tomorrow. Listen. I wanted to get you take okay, So that's so they're going to be done hopefully.
Speaker 1: No pressure anyway, no pressure, You'll do fine. Remember, take a deep breath. Read all the essay questions first, so you can think about all of them simultaneously in the back of your mind.
Speaker 6: I'll pass that along. Listen, what are the chances that doctor Fasci is going to show up and just say nothing and take the fifth because I think some of the information in these diaries, although I hadn't really looked at it too much, from what I've heard, he's going to take the fifth. He's not going to testify because it's going to be incriminating, and I don't think that, you know, I think I think it's just too incriminated for him. And I think the VEARS database shows there was a heck of a lot more death and every destruction due to the COVID then you know, the vaccines. Then it has been let on.
Speaker 1: If I was his lawyer, so I would advise him to take the fifth at every question. Yes, okay, pursue to the Fifth Amendment. I am not going to answer that because of my right not to incriminate myself. The public record is now so dense with admissions against interest and I'm just using the one that I did as an example. There are lots more. They're years of these entries. So he goes at harm's way unless he has complete mastery, and he's older now than I mean, he's five years older than he was and then he was too old to be doing it then. So I really hope I think that the Fifth Yeah, that's what I would advise him to do.
Speaker 6: So five hundred times he's going to take the Fifth Amendment tomorrow, it's going to be He's not even it would be ridiculous for him to even show up. In my humble opinion, well, you got to.
Speaker 1: Show up because there's a subpoena and you go to jail if you don't show up with a subpoena. But the Fifth Amendment is real. It's one of the cornerstones of American civil liberties. And if I'm his counsel, I just get used to repeating that, and I would not be baited into losing my temper. He can't win this argument. He's arguing with himself. I mean, you heard what I read. He's got full blown TDS. What if someone reads him about that, but they read him that quote.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and asies are fully incriminating. It's it is just I think it's we'll hear the fifth tomorrow more than we've ever heard anything else.
Speaker 1: I believe you are right, Mike, and good luck to our bar examinees. They won't need it. They took my conlog class. Thank you very much, Mike. I'll be right back in America. Welcome back, America, so please to welcome back Ambassador Michael or informer ambassador from Israel to the United States. Back in the States. On behath of the tech me On. You know, doctor Marne, I've heard about tech meon from v Ready Gore and others. I don't think I could have gotten into tech me on. Could you have gotten into tech me On?
Speaker 8: No way, no way.
Speaker 9: I'm delighted to represent them. I'm in all of them. Tech me On is in your life. It invented the the USB, the Jiff, the tiff, the browser on your computer, the Intel processor inside your computer. And while that iron dome, Arrow two, arrow three, it's all techno.
Speaker 1: There's MIT, there's MIT West, which is UCI, and now there's MIT in the Middle East. And it TechEd me on. So I'm glad that you're in the States. For them, Doctor orr. As we speak Prime Minister net and Yah, who is winging his way from Israel in the United States, if he hasn't already landed. What is the best case and worst case for what he brings home from his meetings this week with President Trump.
Speaker 9: Well, the worst case scenario, let's start with that, would be if President Trump says to him, listen, you know our interests have diverged. We understand that you really care about that ballistic system in the hands of the Iranians. You care about Iranian support for terror, you care about the nuclear.
Speaker 3: Program and the.
Speaker 9: Height the enriched nuclear dust as the President called, And what we really care about is the straight and our.
Speaker 8: Moves and getting oil prices down.
Speaker 9: And we're going to focus on that, and we're going to pay the Iranians basically off to the two and tens of billions of dollars to get those straits open again, because that's what I need for the midterms. That would be an absolute worst case scenario is not going to happen. That The best case scenario, which I think is far more likely, is that the President will say, we are deep the committed to Israel security, We're deeply committed to this alliance, and we remain committed to the goals we set we set out at the beginning of this operation, which are to end Iran's ability to make a nuclear weapon, to end Iran support for terror, to end Iran's ability to threaten its neighbors with thousands of intercontinental ballistic missiles, to get rid of that highly enriched uranium in the Iranian hands, and yes, to reopen the straight Hermos and top and top of it all.
Speaker 8: Okay, that's true.
Speaker 9: I think that would be a very very important statement for the president now. The president is the presidents also said is intimated as support for Nathaneo Politically. In the past he certainly come out in favor of a pardon, a presidential pardon for nathanaw with face corruption charges. But recently he said that Nazano was a great wartime prime minister, which begs the question, Okay, is the war over and Israel STU need a wartime prime minister. I think the vast majority of Israeli's would agree we're still at war. The question is whether that's now is their preferred wartime prime minister. But some statement of that to that effect would probably redound to BB's benefit.
Speaker 1: Doctor Uran, not long after ten seven, your regular guest, such a couple of years ago and many hundred interviews ago, you said one of Israel's objectives after ten seven is it has to re establish de terrence. I note the dog that hasn't barked in the last two weeks is that Iran went way out of their way not to shoot at Israel. Has de terrence been restored.
Speaker 8: Certainly Visa vi Iran definitely, and even his bula, his bulla has stopped firing us.
Speaker 9: And I think that the understanding of the Rians, and I think it's an accurate understanding that we're single.
Speaker 8: We're a single missile missile to hit.
Speaker 9: Israel and RUnni and missile Israel to respond and respond not in a restrained way or in a calibrated way. The United States has been conducting military strikes over the last several weeks.
Speaker 8: Israel would go all out.
Speaker 9: We're talking about basically igniting carg Island, igniting virtually the entire energy producing sector of Iran. And once Israel attacked, I don't think that if the President said, Okay, tonight, you're stopping, I don't not sure that Israel would stop all.
Speaker 1: Right now, This morning, Dan Seenoor and our friends who meet Segal and Nada d y'all, we're talking about the current situation. And one of them, I think it was in Meat, said if the status quo ho no firing of missiles but the blockade stays in place, the regime will collapse by the end of the year. Do you agree with him?
Speaker 9: I certainly agree that the best course of action right now, given the constraints, Okay, there are numerous constraints operating on the President and Honors administration, would be to maintain the blockade, maintain a certain amouticum of military pressure, get as many ships through the tankers through the straits as possible.
Speaker 8: But that will certainly put a stranglehold on Iran.
Speaker 9: The right regime can't pay the salaries of the IRGC, it can't pay the salaries of the besieged thugs, so I can't put a stopper on it. Maybe you meet know something I do don't, but that long term, long term, this is the way to go. And I'm going to go back to an article I wrote for Fox News, what is about four or five months ago already, where I said that the model for this war is not Iraq and Afghanistan. It's the Cold War, and after the initial intense military phase, you moved to a blockade, and you keep that blockade up for months and months and months, and that'll eventually bring the regime down. So I agree eventually, whether at the end of the year, I hope that meets.
Speaker 1: Right now Arachi. They're foreign minister, and I don't know what his influence has said. If this trade isn't open for us, it's not open for anyone. I don't believe that's true anymore. I think they're afraid. Now what do you think.
Speaker 9: They should be afraid. I think they have every reason to be afraid. You know, people were sort of certainly in the liberal mainstream press where we're revelating several weeks or months ago, how the audience had won the war or they won the war. I don't think people say the same thing that right now. I think the Irani regime is deeply divided. I think that they are facing economic crisis. There was even talk this week in that same mainstreat press about the possibility of starvation in Iran. That was not the case several weeks ago. If they're winning the war. Why are we afraid of of their population starving to death? So I think that there is vulnerability here, but the president in the old reagn regunite way has to has to stay the course.
Speaker 1: Okay, last question, Ambassador Michael Lauren. Israel has had a three or four month pause. I assume that your defense industry, like our defense industries, have been working over time on interceptors. What's the scuttle about in Israel about the preparedness for around three if it comes.
Speaker 9: Prepared prepared and I hope I don't mean to cast aspersions on anybody's industrial loutbook, but we tend to produce interceptors much faster than the United States does. And though part of our intercapits are produced in the United States by agreement, whether it's because our people operating under that type of pressure that if they don't produce those intertaptors.
Speaker 8: Their families are going to be in danger. It's very very personal.
Speaker 3: So we produce them.
Speaker 9: And according to Israeli estimates, we are in decent shape.
Speaker 1: Are you sharing with your Arab friends like the UAE.
Speaker 8: Yes, we had during the last round, we did share.
Speaker 9: So if I think it goes to the fact that we are in good shape, because we wouldn't be the physician to share if we didn't have enough.
Speaker 1: Well said as always, Ambassador Michael Orran. Follow him on exit. D R Michael Uran, good luck to you on your fundraising and support trip for tech meon the whole world depends upon tech meon whether or not people know it. I learned it by listening to a bunch of Israeli podcasts and the Doctor Oran. Follow them on actual Dr Michael Oran. Dr Michael Urran, I'll be right back in America, straight tuned to the viewers show Back America. I'm Hugh Hewett, joined now by United States Senator Tom Cotton from Arkansas. Senator Cotton, I'm a bit of billion I'm a new grandfather today, so that's a bit of good news. Let me ask you about what I promised the audience. Senator Collins is facing a fellow named Troy Jackson. You work pretty closely with Senator Collins on the Intelligence Committee and your chairman of the conference, of which she's been a member for a long time. How do you assess that race? More importantly, how do you assess Susan Collins?
Speaker 10: Well, first off, you congratulations to you and the fetching missus Hewett for your latest year grandchild. That's very exciting news. Second, Susan Collins is an count standing Senator for the state of Maine. She works tirelessly. She'saw the hardest working senator.
Speaker 3: In the US Senate.
Speaker 10: Anytime you sit down with her in a meeting or a Mady hearings, she has papers that are marked up in her own handwriting. She's a great voice for the Pine Tree State. Americans know her for her leadership on national security and biomedical research, and Maynor's lover for that too. But I can tell you just her main issues. Maners shouldn't hope to have a better, better senator. A few years back, when she was hosting one of her lunches that she does each year, when she brings she caters lobster down from the Pine Tree State. It's pretty cracked, so people like me from Arkansas don't have to know how to eat lobster for which so she calls it lazy lobster, which it tastes so good, though I don't take a sense to it. She described how the Biden administration was imposing regulations that threatened to put lobsterman out of business in Maine, and as you know, Hugh, that's a way of life up there, not so much in places like Arkansas or the Rocky Mountain Wes where we have a lot of Republican senators. But she's so she does her homework so well, she's so compelling, so persuasive, that we all banded together to help her beat back this regulation and preserve Main's way of life. So I think she's a great senator. The people, to say the man are very lucky to have her. I encourage everyone listening to go to Susancollins dot com to contribute, and if you're in Maine, don't just know there to contribute, to sign up and find out how you can help Susan Collins.
Speaker 1: Now I wanted to drill down a bit. You're chairman of the Intel Committee. It's a select committee, but I'm not really sure how one gets on it or how often it meets the course highly secret, but how does one end up on that? Because she's on there, as is her seat mate hangu Is King, independent from me.
Speaker 10: That's a choice strictly by the two party leaders. So for my time in the Senate, it's done. It was done by Sinat McConnell and then last year by Center Thoon. But it's not a committee that's designed just by seniority, as most committees are in the Senate. But as a select committee, it's chosen by the leadership. And that's because obviously it deals with very sensitive matters and I think the leaders of the Senate want to make sure that senators there we're going to handle this matters appropriately, as Susan obviously does. And for that matter, it's a very hard working committee. I mean, we have by far the most meetings and the most hearings of any committee I have. It's just not widely known because it happens behind closed doors. But Susan juggles that along with being the chair of the very important Appropriations Committee and all of her other work. So again, I hope everyone listening will go to Susancollins dot com and find a way to help her in this election against the guy who may not have a Nazi tattoo, Hugh, but he has the same socialist view as that Graham platform did.
Speaker 1: Oh he's a journeyman too. They really they were down to their last swing at bat, and they had a ground ball dribbler easily, fieled. Let me ask you about the Appropriations Committee. I know that you cross paths. You're on the Armed Services Committee, and you're responsible to that committee for the National Defense Authorization Act. But then it's got to get funded by the Appropriations Committee. And that includes bat Iron Works where they make the early Burke destroyer. They build submarines in Portsmouth, which is in part shared by the main jurisdiction. I assume Centat Collins is a ferocious advocate for the national defense.
Speaker 10: Yeah, very much so, Hugh. As a member of the Appropriations Committee, she's made sure that the shipbuilding industry as well as all the military facilities and name are well taken care of. She's an advocate for adding a second storyer up there at Math. She's been a passionate advocate for that.
Speaker 1: But there's an.
Speaker 10: Example of how irresponsible the Democrats have become in their opposition to all things Trump, that they're willing to sacrifice in national security. They've blockaded, as you said, the National Defense Authorization Act. That means they've also blockaded the Intelligence Authorization Act, which passes along with the Defensi Village Year. They're blocking Susan's appropriations bills. She's tried to move a defense funding bill already this year, but the Democrats are united and blocking it all. They're blocking the reauthorization of section seven oh two of the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Acts, probably our most important tool to collect intelligence not just on Terrace, but on Iran and Russia and China and other adversaries. This is a across the board blockade by Democrats in the Senate. There's appareling their national security. And that's why every Democratic senator up for reelection should be called on the carpet board.
Speaker 1: Now, do you have any idea yet whether Republicans are going to give up and go to a continuing resolution which is bad for the Pentagon, bad for the national defense, or use reconciliation to fund defense in the interim.
Speaker 10: I don't think those are necessarily either, or I think it's probably prudent to pass a continuing resolution that would fund the government into November, so the Democrats don't engage in the kind of reckless shutdown right before the election on October one that they did last fall over the Biden Obamacare COVID bonuses, or in January when they shut down immigration enforcements for several weeks. Also pass funding for the Department of Defense, either through reconciliation or if the Democrats come to their senses and will operate. Because of the urgent need that Secretary exact late that last week through a traditional supplemental funding deal. But it's vitally important that we fund the department sooner rather than later.
Speaker 1: All right, last question, Senator, how do you assess the quiet period we are in right now? After thirteen days or strikes in your run, there is no more MoU There are allegedly indirect negotiations going on in a couple of places. Who knows. How do you assess the situation?
Speaker 10: Well, the President has said that if Iran backs down, then he won't strike back at them, at least along the facilities and weapons that they're using on their southern coast. Try to harash shipping in the straight up removes, and it was clear to me at least that Iran was never going to engage in serious negotiations and better to finish the military operational plan and then just imposed the blockade. The President did and then lift it and is done again. I think that's probably still the best force of action that will make sure that Iran can't militarily threaten the United States or our friends can't build a nuclear weapon for many.
Speaker 1: Many years.
Speaker 10: And also that walled us to the straight up removes and keeps prices of gas and diesel and other products down for America's consumers and businesses.
Speaker 1: And I just want to give you the chance to remember Lindsey Graham. I don't think you've been on the broadcast and Senator Graham died. His sister Darlene has been endorsed by you to continue on in service at South Carolina as the other senator. But you had to have worked very closely with Lindsley for the decade or twelve years. You've been in the Senate.
Speaker 10: All the time, Hugh, all the time, especially on foreign policy and national security. Lindsay was a patriot. He loved our country, he loved anyone who loved our country, and he fought for anyone who would fight for freedom. He was a true character. He went about the job joyfully and cheerfully, and showed everyone that you can take the work seriously without taking yourself for each other too seriously. And he's already deeply missed.
Speaker 6: But I know he's went.
Speaker 10: To heaven to meet his rewards, and one day we'll probably join him up there and have a good laugh together again.
Speaker 1: He'll be leading the conversation. Senator Tom Cotton, Thank you. Follow the Senator on exit send Tom Cotton. Scn Tom Cotton, follow me the next segment right here on to you view it ship. Welcome back to America. I'm Hugh Hewitt, joined now by columnist to the world, Selena Zito. You can follow her on exit Zito. Selena. You can read everything she writes at Selenazito dot com. She writes for The Washington Post, the New York Post, the Pittsburgh Post Gazette, the Washington Examiner, and everybody who needs a story. And she's working on a book, The United States of Appalachia. So you don't want to listen to hour three, Selena, because our new Georgia Congressman Clay Fuller represents that part of Georgia where the Appalachia extends to, which is I hope you're going to cover Georgia in your book, are you.
Speaker 11: I'm heading down to Georgia next this week, this week, and it's Appalachia, Okay, say Appalachia to Appalachia.
Speaker 1: Well, Clay Fuller replaced the Marjorie Taylor Green and that was the Appalachia District. And I don't even know what it's like. I didn't. I was unaware until you told me that it went to Georgia, and I didn't know the district that ended in. Where are you going in Georgia?
Speaker 12: All over the place.
Speaker 11: I'm leaving from the inception in New York and going all the way down to Georgia, following the four hundred and thirty two counties that are part of the government's outline of where Appalachia is now.
Speaker 1: Is there a poorest part of Appalachia? Is there like the stereotypical image from movies?
Speaker 11: Well, I mean I think ports of Kentucky in West Virginia largely due to their there's no connection to major roads, right. That's in transportation. People forget how much transportation matters when it comes to a community thriving. And if you don't have roads, if you don't have interstates, and if you're or you don't have a rail line, your community suffers because you need to get goods in and goods out towards in and tourist out. That's always been Appalachia's biggest challenge.
Speaker 1: You know, that's interesting. I think Clay Fuller, the New Georgia congressman, I think he got put on transportation, which would make sense to if he's got mountains. So, uh, you're not driving that, are you?
Speaker 12: Come, of course I am.
Speaker 1: So what's your mister GPS tell you? Is the time in the car not counting for your long breaks at the local watering holes and talking to the newspaper people.
Speaker 11: Well, you know, I haven't had I don't have the whole thing mapped out.
Speaker 12: I'm leaving Thursday.
Speaker 11: I've got to sort of figure out my best route to go. I could do the Great Wagon Trail, which is where most of the people that originally settled in our country in the first thirteen colonies, they went down the mountain the Great Wagon Trail, which left Philadelphia went down into Maryland, West Virginia, Virginia, Tennessee, Kentucky.
Speaker 12: So I think I'm going to try to stick to.
Speaker 11: That original route and then come back up into the seams that I miss.
Speaker 1: So you're skipping Ohio again, No, not at all.
Speaker 11: I'm actually ending in Ohio. A lot of it is a very important part of the Appalachia, and you know, a lot of the migration out of Mississippi came to places like Toledo and Ohio and Detroit to work in the factories and into you know, whether they were making calls, are making steel.
Speaker 12: That's how you have a great.
Speaker 11: Inflow flux of the black population up into Ohio and Pennsylvania and Michigan.
Speaker 12: It's a very important part of the story of the region.
Speaker 1: Wait wait, wait, wait, wait, your book isn't going to include Michigan, is it?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 12: Michigan?
Speaker 1: Okay, good, just wanted to check your throwing that that stayed up north the end of the catalog and states don't they don't get a line. When is your dudate? And when is when's your deadline? And when's your pub date?
Speaker 11: Deadline is in February next year. Pub date is about a year after that.
Speaker 1: Oh, in time for the election. Yeah.
Speaker 11: But I'm doing it with Brad Todd, just the way we did with a Great Revolt. So it'll be another collaboration and I'm really excited about it.
Speaker 1: Is there a political angle to this, Selena Zdo, Is they're going to be like, these are the people who've got.
Speaker 12: A lot please politics and culture.
Speaker 11: I mean it's very culture oriented in how this culture, the Appalachian culture is now. You know, it used to be like Apivlacchia was peculiar, the people from there were peculiar, and now everyone sort of wants to be part of it.
Speaker 13: Right.
Speaker 11: Who's what's the song they sing the most at any kind of sports, big gathering.
Speaker 12: It's Country Roads. Country Roads is set in Appalachia.
Speaker 11: You know, the area of our country of people's clothing, people's music, people's search for individualism, and places where they can have more freedoms all are located in that Appalachian region.
Speaker 12: And what is interesting to me now is.
Speaker 11: That the places that are considered peculiar are La in New York right there.
Speaker 12: All of a sudden, they are the peculiar places.
Speaker 11: And Appalachia is having this long awaited moment of people understanding respecting this culture that really has been Most of our presidents were born in Appalachia. Most of our music, our food, everything just comes from this place.
Speaker 1: I got a very dad question, and we're contemporary, so it's not a dad question, it's a frank question. Amy Semple McPherson is widely regarded and it's asserted that She was the first woman to drive across the country solo, and there were safety concerned. How do you take care of yourself when you're traveling alone along these country roads.
Speaker 11: Well, I would just say that I'm from Pennsylvania and the gun culture is a very important part of Pennsylvania upbringing.
Speaker 1: That's enough, st because we don't want to alert the authorities in New York. All right, we don't want to alert the gun grab in states. But other than New York, I think you're safe, aren't you.
Speaker 11: Yeah, they always stay that Pennsylvania doesn't have reciprocity with I think still have to double check that is South Carolina.
Speaker 1: Oh well, they wouldn't bother anyway, they'd be up. They look at your sideways if you weren't carrying. But I mean, do you have friends, do you stay with families along the way? Do you stay in hotels?
Speaker 11: I usually try to stay at a bed and breakfast, mainly because the people that own those are small business people and they really know where all the bodies are buried in town, right, they have all the golf said.
Speaker 12: They literally you know, yeah, they do, they do. So that's that's usually my approach.
Speaker 1: Well, I hope we touch you on the road, Selena, have a great that's your summer vacation Appalachia driving driving. They have a good soundtrack for the road. Stay safe and check in Selena, Zito follower on exit and Zito Selena. I begin with Rear Admiral Mark Montgomery, retired from the United States Navy, Senior Fellow at the Foundation for Defensive Democracy. Admiral. Last time we talked, we were talking about what air campaign against Iran might looked like. We've had thirteen days of it. Is it what you expected, you know, for.
Speaker 4: What they were attempting to achieve then, which was just the pullback from them, you know, trying to reduce the ability of the IRGC to impact flow through the straight or her moved. So these were strikes against maritime targets, you know, missile drone launchers, the storage facilities, radars, beaconing devices all in the Strait and on the islands that Iron occupies in the Strait. Additionally, they hit bridges that from mobility of things coming into the bonder or bus area. I had hoped what the President was talking about a few days ago was an expansion to hit the state owned enterprises.
Speaker 3: Owned by the IRGC.
Speaker 4: You know they control a large part of construction, shipbuilding, telecommunications in Iran. If we're going to impose our will on the IRGC a faster way than the blockade, which is a way to do it is to actually take away their money making activities.
Speaker 1: Do you think it is advisable to keep the blockade in place regardless of how the negotiations go.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, I mean we've got to.
Speaker 4: I don't believe Iran deals in good faith in any measure, but we'll get a better faith if they're under pressure and the blockade serves to prevent anywhere from twenty to thirty billion dollars a month worth of of of crude and gas sales externally to India and China. So yes, absolutely I would keep it in place. I'd remind them they effectively have a blockade on the Southern transit scheme by threatening to strike ships and the ships being unwilling to transit because.
Speaker 3: Of that threat.
Speaker 1: Now I know that you going back and forth to Ukraine a lot. I'm sure you followed as a result that Iran threatened Ukraine today because Ukraine intercepted a shipment across the Caspian Sea. Probably if she drons. Who knows what they were sending. Does Ukraine actually have to worry about anything from Iran or are they just going to resupply Russia if they're allowed to.
Speaker 4: So I don't think Iran is going to be giving any of its limited shahads, you know, it's you know, it's inventorya shaheads to Russia. They've already given them the plans to build them in Russia's building their own. So I think that's a shallow threat, but it's a reminder to us that Ukraine is fighting four countries Russia, China, North Korean, Iran.
Speaker 3: In fact, North Korea maybe.
Speaker 4: Getting up thirty thousand more troops to send over.
Speaker 3: To Russia to fight.
Speaker 4: And just like in Iran, with Iran, we're fighting Iran, Russia, and China at the same time because Russian and China are assisting Iran. This is a contest between countries aligned, you know, with the global order in the United States and free trade and the access of authoritarians China, Russia, India and North Korea, excuse me, Iran and North Korea.
Speaker 3: And we need to treat that.
Speaker 4: We need to treat these conflicts that way, and the Europeans to get off their backsides and stop, you know, and support US in Iran like they support Ukraine versus Russia.
Speaker 1: Now, Admiral Montgomery I talked to earlier with Ambassador Oran, and he agreed with me. It appears as though Israel has re established deterrence visa the Iran. They've gone out of their way not to hit Israel in this latest round of combat. Do you think that that deterrence is firmly and fully estop. They're afraid of Israel and what they might do if they bring them back into the battle.
Speaker 4: But yes, because it's a it's not a good trade space for them. If you bring Israeli and you get one hundred and fifty to two hunred and fifty to three hundred strikes a night from Israel and they're firing back.
Speaker 3: Was largely unsuccessful. The drones do not make it to Israel.
Speaker 4: It's too long a distance US and then Israeli aircraft shoot them down, just like drones don't normally get to Jordan or to western Saudi Arabia because strategic depth is important. Just like Ukraine shoots down most Shahed drones headed towards Leviv or Kiv because of distance ballistic missiles are not getting through against Israel because Israel has its own arrow David Slang, US THAD and then US standard missiles on board those ships off the coast of Haifa. That's an integrated and layered air defense system that Iran doesn't penetrate easily. So it's bad trade space for them to go after to engage Israel on this.
Speaker 1: Now, Adam, I've heard some of your colleagues at the Foundation for Defensive Democracy, primarily Richard Goldberg, they really want to hit Pickaxe Mountain. Is there a world in which that's not useful? Or do you think we might have intelligence that tells us it's not really finished or even close to completion.
Speaker 3: So I have to believe you.
Speaker 4: I joined rich in thinking there's something in there. Look, I can't tell you what it is. I don't get that kind of classification brief. I think there's something in there. I think if I know the Air Force targeteers, they're working hard to figure out how some of our weapons systems can do some kind of penetration. Even if we can't do you know, a midnight hammer attack like we did on four Toho on it, maybe we can put a few weapons into the access points in order to make it very uncomfortable to live there, make it impossible to ensure due to structural damage. Even if we can't destroy everything inside it, we can make it much less valuable to their audience.
Speaker 1: So how do you assess President Trump's strategic ambiguity. I have no idea what he's going to do. I don't think anybody has any idea what he's going to do, which I think is sort of the definition of unpredictability, which is useful in international affairs. Should he be more clear to the Iranians or is it clear enough?
Speaker 4: So there are cases where strategic ambiguity it was a useful policy.
Speaker 3: It might have been a useful one with Taiwan.
Speaker 4: Until recently, I think the President's moved from ambiguity right called strategic uncertainty. Like you're not certain from day to day what the president President's strategy is and it does.
Speaker 3: Move around a lot.
Speaker 4: Look part of his that unpredictability that becomes a strategic uncertainty.
Speaker 3: That unpredictability has a to turn effect. But at some.
Speaker 4: Point, you know, back and forth, back and forth, I think it loses its value with the same competitor, like Iran, you know, over like fifteen weeks, like it has, I don't think it has that same effect. I still think it has an effect on China and on Russia when they try to assessor even North Korea, when they try to assess what we would do in a case of South Korea, Taiwan or the Baltics. You know, they don't know which way he'll go. But with Iran, I think it's run its course.
Speaker 1: So wrapping up here, how do you assess the Iranian leadership's view of the battle space and how do you assess Putin's view of the battle space? Because they're both authoritarians. I think Beahedi's running Iran. I don't care about Arachi or the president. I care about Bahidi, and Putin is Putin, He's running everything. How do you think they're viewing both of these conflicts?
Speaker 4: So I think with Vahidi, I mean I think he thinks he can outlast Trump. That Trump's got elections in November, and at some point President Trumble would be more interested in that than he is in in a free and open straighth hor moves. That may be a misjudgment by Bohdi, but I think that's where he says, Putin's in a different position. Putin is suspending reality, taking briefs from jurisim office, is general staff commander and believing that there's a way forward in Ukraine, which there is not. He Putin, I promise you, is misleading himself. I'm not sure whether Bahdi is or not.
Speaker 1: Now the price of oil dropped to eighty two dollars at Baryl. That tells me that maybe the southern route through the Strait is more robust than I had assumed. Is that what you think as well?
Speaker 4: I'm not sure that the day to day it's really hard, and part of it's how the president speaks about it. I will say this, I told you since the beginning, since April, that I believe in convoy operations. That's what I did in the late nineteen eighties the US Navy did.
Speaker 3: I think we're going to have.
Speaker 4: To have destroyers, like two destroyers a company three VLCC is the very large CREUD carriers, you know, those two million barrels and maybe the big LNG ships and bring them out and bring the empties in.
Speaker 3: Bring them out and bring the empties in.
Speaker 4: And it's risky for the US Navy riskier than sitting back, but it also provides the confidence to the merchant ships that they can go because they got the US Navy one thousand yards away, They've got fighter aircraft overhead, they can see arm pilos patrolling in front of them.
Speaker 3: Then I think you can get a moving back and forth.
Speaker 4: We can get back up to ten to twelve million barrels a day through that Southern Straight transit. When combined with the Saudi and Amordi pipelines, that gets you to pre warflow. So I think it's achievable, but you have to take a little bit of risk, and you have to keep pounding. Anyone who pops up looking like they want to launch needs to get a j dam very fast, a precition gout administion for the United States very fast.
Speaker 1: Well, last a question we got less than the annimal. Do you think that the eighty and his inner circle are persuaded of what happens if they kill any more Americans or hitting an American patroship.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 4: Because they fired a balistic missil Jordan clearly aimed at the transient barracks.
Speaker 3: In my mind, that was a pretty direct hit on a transient barracks.
Speaker 4: They are willing to risk killing Americans, and I think that's a big mistake.
Speaker 1: Adamial Mark Montgomery from the Foundation for the Defense of Democracy. He's always good to talk to you. Thank you for the update, Look forward to the next one. Don't go anywhere, America. I'll be right back here on the You do a show with Philip Wegman of the Wall Street Journal, Welcome back in America. I co Dowitt. Philip Wegman is a regular feature on the panel on Fox News Special Report with Brett Bahar and I've shared the panel with him before, so I've met him in the green room before. I had a few chats with him, But I did not expect his first Wall Street Journal article that I saw to be about Richard Nixon. It's called Young Conservatives have an Unlikely new Icon, Richard Nixon. It's all about Nixon maxing. Philip. Welcome, It's good to have you on the program. First of all, how do you like the journal?
Speaker 14: Wall Street Journal is fantastic. I'm surrounded by killers here, just the best in the business. But I've got to say talking with you about President Nixon, a man who you knew, And then also talking about his renaissance, something that you helped kick off with your work at the Nixon Foundation. The irony's not lost on me, because you have forgotten more about the thirty seventh president than I could probably ever hope to learn.
Speaker 1: But the youngs are the ones who did it after I left. So all honored to Jim Byron and everybody else out there, Joe Lopez, Chris rob all the group that have actually made it fun for young people to learn about Nixon. How'd you figure out this story? Because I shouldn't tell you anything about it.
Speaker 14: Well, there had been sort of a lower key rumbling about Nixon. You would see a lot of younger conservatives posting either his speeches or historical fiftieth anniversary events about him. But what I started to notice increasingly was that, yes, while this was organic and there are certainly real Nixon fans out there, it was the Nixon Foundation who was really pushing this guy's legacy. And what I think is interesting about this, What I think is new, is that while the Nixon Foundation released the tapes, so to speak, they weren't acting like a normal presidential library. They were explicitly trying to reach a younger audience millennials and gen z to make arguments about the president's legacy, and they were doing it in an unconventional way. They were making these arguments with memes and hype videos. And I talked to a number of young Republicans who said that this was the gateway drug for them to really re examine the legacy of someone who they had been taught, you know since middle school and high school, is the chief presidential villain of American history.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's common for the library to invite authors out there. They Vice President Vance there a few weeks ago. Brett Behar is often there when he has a book come out. But probably the breakthrough person that byronnett All got out to the library was comfortably Smug Because Smug's got a very young demo in a very irreverent way about him. That was just genius on their part to get Smug there. And I think they're keeping it up. Did you talk to them about their future plans for twenty twenty seven and beyond, Well.
Speaker 13: They have so much in the archive.
Speaker 14: There's so much history that they can repackage and use to reintroduce to a younger audience that it wouldn't be surprised if we continue to see this takeoff. But I'm glad that you mentioned comfortably Smug, because what he did is he sort of brought his irreverence and married that to the historical record. What I think is going on here is for a lot of these younger conservatives, they see Nixon as the ghost in the machine of the Trump administration. They believe that he is confronting the same enemies as Richard Nixon. He has of the same challenges. And you know, one Nixon fan told me that they felt the United States was still stuck in nineteen sixty eight.
Speaker 13: And so what Smug has.
Speaker 14: Done, and I think a lot of other Nixon fans have, you know, followed suit, is they've adopted this sort of low stakes irreverence. They've adopted a middle finger to the establishment. No one's gonna chew you out for wearing a Richard Nixon hat, but you know that is going to inspire, you know, reflection into what previously had been a villain. And you know, it was Chris Rufo, for instance, who told me that the importance of Nixon, more than ideology, more than any policy accomplishment, was that by taking back his image Conservatives and Republicans are finally saying that they are no longer going to outsource their heroes to the left, that they're going to write the stories of their own heroes.
Speaker 1: It's a new paradigm for presidential libraries. That's for sure. We do want visitors to go to all the presidential libraries, but they got to work at it. Not surely going to coax many people into the Obama LISC up there in Chicago. That's very forbidding. It's like entering a castle of doctor Doom. But what I noticed in your article, either Jim or Joe or Robert, somebody connected you to Jeff Shepherd. Now, Jeff Shepherd, for those who don't know, is the world's greatest authority on Watergate. And when you when you run into Jeff Shepherd, it's like drinking from a fire hose. How did you enjoy that?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 14: I was a history major in college, and Jeff Shepherd is not only does he have a fascinating personal history, he was the guy who transcribed a lot of the Nixon tapes. He knows so much of the Watergate history. I mean, talking to him, that'll that'll blow your hair back. But he's critical to this story because when do people start re engaging with Nixon is during the first Trump administration, particularly you know, younger conservatives, That's when.
Speaker 13: They start re engaging. And what Shepherd has done.
Speaker 14: Is he has poked holes in the first official narrative. And he's done so not by you know, connecting strange dots or some Atlantish theories. Instead, he has produced a lot of primary source documents that say, wait a minute, you.
Speaker 13: Know, maybe Dean actually changed his testimony.
Speaker 14: Wait a minute, maybe something was going on that was uncouth in these meetings between the special prosecutor and the judge.
Speaker 13: They were meeting ex party out of chambers.
Speaker 14: And so I think Sheppard, he really has provided the intellectual firepower for a re examination of Watergate.
Speaker 13: And then, you know, once that hurdle.
Speaker 14: Is out of the way, then I think Republicans, conservatives, and perhaps the public were at large, they're going to be more charitable when they look at the rest of his legacy and they're going to say, wait a minute. You know, this is the guy who was there for the opening of China, for Title nine, for the moon landings. His scholarship is you know, intense, and here it definitely is uh.
Speaker 13: You know, it's the practice for a lot of things.
Speaker 1: He will also spend as much time with you as you want, talking about anything in particular, whether it's NAPA, a PA, Clean Water, Clean Air Act, jet Shepherd will do that so well do I shape? And in fact, there's still a lot. Ken Kachigan just wrote a book about Nixon and Reagan behind Closed Doors. A lot of those Nixon youngsters are now oldsters, and they're writing very good books. Philip, how many presidential libraries have you been to? Do you have a base on which to compare and contrast and are you intending a series on them?
Speaker 13: Oh? I am the wrong guy to asked this question.
Speaker 14: I've done a lot of reading, but I've never actually been to a presidential library, unless unless Mount Vernon counts, But I don't think it does well.
Speaker 1: It's close, it does close, But I would suggest just start a bingo card because I've only been about half of them, and I'm twice your age, and so it takes a while to actually chart it. But the Nixon Library and your Belinda It's at tendance matters a lot to them. So your article in the Journal did a lot. I would hope to get people to put it on the map for them now if I can. Congrats on the Richard Nixon piece. You talked to Laura Luomer this week. I didn't see anyone else talk to her. So how did you get her number? That's what I want? How do you find Laura Lumer in Ukraine?
Speaker 14: Well, Laura Lumer's phone number is a little bit more difficult to get than President Trump's for reporters on Deadline, but we managed to snag it and speak with her, and she's been going through a very interesting renaissance lumor. Previously a right wing bravocateur, I don't think that she would reject that label herself, and previously also a disciple of Roger Stone, also a Nixon acolyte. She had been very critical of the United States support for Ukraine. She led the charge for a number of years, and not just on the policy front, she was very critical of Vielenski himself.
Speaker 13: She has since changed tune and she expects the Magabase to follow suit.
Speaker 1: It's in his latest article, the Secret Trip that turned Laura Lumer from Ukraine's skeptic to support her. Philip Wagman, I look forward to having you Lon as often as you write one of these. Big story Again from every Nixon alum, thanks for throwing a spotlight on the gang and you are Ablenda and all that they are doing. Congrats on your new gig at the Wall Street Channel as well, and stay tuned America. I'll be right now, my friends. You've probably seen the headlines are worse. Your latest bill, Big Wireless is raising rates again. That means you could be paying more for the same service or getting pushed into a price your plan you simply do not need. That's not right. You can switch to consumer sellulor right now and save an additional fifty dollars when you go to consumer sellular dot com slash u and use the promo code HU fifty. And if you happen to be over the age of fifty listening to this, you can get a single line with unlimited talk, text and data for just thirty five dollars a month. Remember their numbers eight hundred and four to one, one forty four to fifty four, eight hundred four one one forty four to fifty four, eight hundred four, one forty four to fifty four. Consumer Cellular ranks number one for network coverage and for customer satisfaction according to ACSI, and when you switch, you'll talk to an actual human being base right here in the United States. No long term contracts, no inden fees. You can keep your phone or choose a new one. Get an additional fifty dollars off when you switch today using promo code Hugh fifty, and do not forget. If you are over fifty, you get a single line, unlimited talk texting data for thirty five dollars a month. Visit Consumer Cellular dot Com slash hugh and use promo code Hugh fifty or call one eight hundred and four four fifty four and use promo code Hugh fifty.
Speaker 15: What happens when citizens begin to fear the very agencies created to protect them. This weekend, the America two to fifty film series presents Pollice State. Dinesh Desuza examines intelligence, law enforcement, and the warning signs of government power.
Speaker 14: Turned Inward.
Speaker 15: Launch Saturday and Sunday at seven pm Eastern on Salem News Channel.
Speaker 1: You know at public services what I'm about to tell you. Food for the poorest sponsor of our show. We like the partner with them because they get food to people in Central and South America and the Caribbean who are hungry every single day. Food crisis always, food insecurity in the Caribbean, but right now, especially in Venezuela after the earthquake, especially in the neighboring region, please be generous. Head over to Hugh Hewitt dot com. There's a give food banner at the top the summer Annual Fun Drive. They took care of ven azuel over the last three weeks. This week and next, I'll be telling you please call eight five five three five nine forty six seventy three, or text my name Hewitt to fifty one five five five that's eight five five three five nine forty six seventy three, or just go to Hugh Hewitt dot com and they give food banner. Welcome back America as prom as Congressman Klai Buller joined his brand new congressman from Georgia first time on The Hugh Hewitt Show. Congressman, welcome, tell us a little bit where the district is, a little bit about you.
Speaker 5: Yes, Sir, Hugh, is an honor to be on your show. You got me through multiple military deployments, so I really appreciate all those listening hours with you and as an honor to be here. But I represent Georgia's fourteenth Congressional district basically stretches from a smidgy bit of Cobb County down there in the Atlanta suburbs all up into God's Country, the beautiful Appalachian Mountains up here in northwest Georgia with the Tennessee and Alabama border up here. So it's a beautiful part of the world. And got sworn in on April fourteenth of this year, so I'm a couple of months in and Hugh, you may have noticed I haven't fixed all the problems in DC yet, but I'm working on it.
Speaker 1: Well, you know, now that you mentioned Appalachia, our friend Selena Zito is a regular on the program, is writing a book, The United States of Appalachia. And she was the first one and tell me that Georgia actually picks up part of the mountain chain. So you're gonna have to be You're gonna have to put up of Selina down in your district. Congress been fuller.
Speaker 5: Absolutely, I'm hoping to link up with her because she needs a couple of chapters on Northwest Georgia and northeast Georgia for sure.
Speaker 1: Okay, you got up there, and I think you're on the Transportation Committee, which a lot of people don't know spends a whole bunch of money. Are you happy with that assignment?
Speaker 5: It's a great place in Land. So you know, I came in midstream here having started in April, so you I'm a prosecutor by trade. Before coming into this position, I was an elected district attorney here in Northwest Georgia, prosecuting cases and trying to put horrible people behind bars. And I'm a military officer as well. But there are so many transportation needs that Northwest Georgia has. We have major interstates that run through my district here, so we're making sure that I promised the voters I was going to be a warrior for Northwest Georgia and for their needs. And that's something that I feel very lucky to be able to do from the Transportation and Infrastructure Committee, because there are some really important needs that we need through that committee.
Speaker 1: Did you stay in the military. You in the reserve, Congressman.
Speaker 5: Yes, sir, so I'm still International Guard, so I'm in the Georgia Guard. I'm still trying to figure out that side of my life. So I have a drilled this weekend. But I know there are some other members and obviously the Lindsey Graham. He was an Air Force Jag just like me, and that's one of the things that we're trying to work on. I think an incredible legacy for Senator Graham would be if we were able to name the Air Force's Jag school after him, and so I'm working on that with my house colleagues and my Senate colleagues as well. But I'm still an Air Force Jag and it's a career that's been very near and dear to my heart.
Speaker 1: That would be terrific. Senator Graham would always do. Is is time. I guess two weeks in the summer, he would deploy all over the world. Is that something you're looking forward.
Speaker 5: To, Yes, sir, I'm hoping I can do some of ore deployments, and I think it's the best way to get an understanding of what our troops are facing across the world and get an understanding of those national security issues that we face as a country. So I'm going to do everything I can as part of my military career to make sure that I'm going forward.
Speaker 1: Have you picked which coccus, if any you want to join, Clay Fuller, I mean there are lots, They're twenty five thirty of them. Have you figured out if you want to join anym.
Speaker 5: Well, there are some policy issues that are near and dear to my heart. So obviously the Second Amendment is one. So I've joined the two A caucus. But since coming into into Congress, I've been very deliberate about just learning the human train, seeing who's part of which groups, and I'm still going through that process. One thing that I want to work on specifically related to Northwest Georgia. We've been impacted by p foss and so it's a forever chemical that's kind of in our water here in Northwest Georgia. I'm a cancer survivor and have dealt with environmental issues that cause health concerns in the past. So I'm trying to build a bipartisan coalition and caucus around that issue. And that's something that I'm working on both in the House and with my Democrat colleagues in the House too.
Speaker 1: What's the origin of that chemical? Is that jet fuel related? Is it sort of like the camp Ler journe plume?
Speaker 5: So one of the major employers in my district is the carbet and fluorine industry, and one of the things that they did was rely on some chemical manufacturers that were out of state to improve their carpet and florine products. And so years ago the carbon florine folks were told here that these chemicals and these products were safe, and it ended up getting into our into our water. So my main issue is to make sure that we're cleaning up because every person in North Georgia should have clean waters, and they should have clean land, and they should know that they're family safe. And that's that's something that's front of mind each and every day that I'm on Capitol Hill.
Speaker 1: Now very practical Western Conor. It's been Clay Fuller. I just got back from Florida. I trandited the Atlanta I wonder do you do you fly in and out of Atlanta whenever you got to go home and back, because that's kind of the regular place. But that's kind of that's almost as big as getting home from Atlanta Airport to wherever you are.
Speaker 5: Yes, sir, I do have to travel through Atlanta a lot, and then it's about a two hour drive. So I've got to get through the Atlanta traffic as well once I leave the airport, so it can be a challenge. Also, the Chattanooga airport's pretty close to me, so Senator Bob Corker was able to get a direct flight from Chattanooga to DC. So from time to time when those times line up, I try to hop on a flight. But Delta is an important employeer in our state, and if I can fly on a Delta airline, I'll do that any.
Speaker 3: Day of the week.
Speaker 1: And I always ask new members. I've been in and out of the district to Columbia and Capitol Hill since the early eighties. I still can't figure out which building is what, or how to get from one to the other without a guide? How are you doing in that department?
Speaker 5: Terribly? I'm doing horribly here. So I actually in the first week, I got lost after voting, and I was in the actual Capital complex and I happened upon probably just a sweet intern who was giving a tour to a large group. You know, you have the member pen and interns recognize that. And you could see like she felt like she had seen a ghost was asking her a question, Can you just tell me how to get out of this building. I think everybody in that group was probably like, this is who we're sending to Congress and can't even find his way out of the building. But I was there for just a week.
Speaker 1: And I like, plea a lot. You've got great leadership in leaders Schoolly, Speaker, Johnson and Tom Emmer, But close election, I mean, is it immediately all hands on deck for the election in the fall.
Speaker 5: Absolutely, And that's you know that that work starts right now. So during the August recess, I'm going to be here on the ground at Georgia fourteen. As you know, Georgia fourteen was so critical in the twenty twenty election. We needed to drive more voters out in twenty twenty. That's why we have two useless Democrat senators here in Georgia. So when i'm home over the this month in August coming up, and then in October as well, I'm going to be doing every thing I can to get Magae Warrior Mike Collins across the finish line here in george of fourteen. And then we've got to get Rick Jackson in the governor's office too.
Speaker 1: That is exactly right. Mike Collins can beat John Hassock with people like Klay Fuller helping him. Congressman, it is great to make your acquaintance, Sophi A stranger always like having freshmen softpolling around because their eyes are fresh. They say things that a lot of the jaded veterans don't. But it's really good to have made your acquaintance. Play Fuller and I look forward to talking in the future on the view Age show,