Speaker 1: Welcome to today's podcast sponsored by Hillsdale College, All Things Hillsdale Hillsdale dot ed or I encourage you to take advantage of the many free online courses there, and of course I'll listen to the Hillsdale dialogues, all of them at Q for Hillsdale dot com or just Google, Apple iTunes and Hillsdale Run and Glaura and even Grace America. Welcome the Big Weekend Pod, and a big one it is, indeed, John Ellis, Matt Continetti, Ben dominic Eli Lake, and Daniel Silva, New York Times number one best selling author of the Gabriel Lawn series. He's back with his new summertime blockbuster, Ransom. That's the dessert, after we cover the serious stuff, the escalation of the war, big escalation in the war on Thursday night, carrying over into the weekend and reviewing the President's speech with John Ellis and Eli Lake and Matt Contenetti and Ben Dominicic, and then of course Dan Silva and I will talk at length about Ransom. So settle back and enjoy your workout, because this is a real special, big Weekend Pod, and I hope you enjoy it. I'm he Hewett, Stay Tuned, Glory and even Great America. A lot coming up on this. Prior of the Hilltale Dialogue, author Danny Silva is back talk to me about his brand new book Ransom, Matt Conney, Ben Dominic Eli Lake, And of course we begin, if we do most fridays, with John Ellis, founder and editor in chief of News Items. John, the price of oil is at eighty two dollars a bail right now, you are of the opinion China holds the key to whether it stays there. Can you explain why?
Speaker 2: Well, as we know, the US and Israel attacked Iran. Iran shut down the Strait of horm Mooz, shutting down the straight of the of horr Moves cut you know, cut off essentially twenty percent of the world's energy supply. And so everybody assumed that the price of oil would go to one twenty one fifty eight, two hundred, depending on who you talk to. Well, it turned out it didn't. It's now in the eighties. It's likely to go lower. And the reason for that is that China has dramatically reduced its imports from the Middle East. And when I say dramatically, by almost half they've gone into reserves, which they have apparently bountiful amounts, and they have plugged into their solar plants which are enormous. And so the price of oil, which everybody thought would go up, has actually been relatively stable. Some people think experts think that it could go down into the mid seventies, maybe even as low as sixty five if China continues to not import the amounts of oil and gas that it was importing before, which would obviously have some terrific knock on effects lower inflation and perhaps even lower federal interest rates. So it's one of those weird things where what do you make of the iron situation?
Speaker 1: I'm looking at a live feed of the American airlift to the Middle East right now, and it's an air bridge, it's fueler supply, fueler supply. I think it's going to go big over the weekend. What do you think? I think so?
Speaker 2: I think you know, you can tell by how close US forces are to the Gulf, I mean to the Strait essentially, or to Iran. And if more and more assets as they're called, are closer and closer, then it's likely that you know it's going to go bigger soon. On the other hand, I'm I've long been of the view that the way to win the war is to say, Okay, we've successfully completed phase one. Phase two is blockade and even tighter sanctions. The Iranian economy will collapse, and so we just have to be patient. I think that would be the best course. But you know, I'm not the president, so it doesn't.
Speaker 1: Really I'm a hybrid between Long drun or I would take out the dual use electricity plants just to make it harder on the IRGC and everything. And if there are like keybridge to Bondara bas like he did last night, that can get blown up. But then I would do it, you suggest, because it's going to be an internal revolution. Eli Lake's coming up after you. He's pointed out the history of regime collapse is usually internal, not external. It does happen sometimes with external forces, but it's usually internal. Let me turn to the spooky stuff you sent me, the AI exo self. This is not for me. I'm a boomer. You're a boomer, But you also make the argument the Exo self is going to be like a second skin the youngs were before long tell us about it.
Speaker 2: Well, I think people are familiar probably with metaglasses, which you wear, and it connects you to the internet and you can take pictures with those glasses and so on and so forth. The next iteration of that is essentially artificial intelligence in your pocket, and that is always on following everything you do. You can talk to it as you go along throughout the day. It can take notes for you, it can do agentry for you and get you a plane ticket or call somebody you need to call. When you go to sleep, it'll monitor you sleep. And the thought is is a man named Kevin Kelly, who's the founder of Wired magazine, who wrote a terrific column about this in which you said, eventually, the next generation, not our generation here, but the next generation. I guess generations will grow very comfortable with this because they'll have the world's intelligence in their pocket that will tell them how they're doing, tell them what they need to know, tell them where they need to be. And it's totally scary because it's a second self in a sense, because it gets to know you as you talk to it, as you talk to others. It records everywhere you go. And people say, well, that's impossible, but actually, given where metaglasses is right now, and you know it's not at all unthinkable to see mister Kelly's vision realized in the next three, four or five years.
Speaker 1: John, I can tell from the bookshelf behind you you are a reader. And I assume you grew up reading history and great thrillers like Daniel Selda's thrillers and Lend Dayton's thrillers and Lacret and that was your summer reading. But you had to do your history, et cetera. I'm afraid the new AI and the new online era will not be readers in the way that you and I were readers. Does that cross your mind? What happens when you basically raise a generation of people don't read compulsively because of boredom.
Speaker 2: I'm concerned about that. I mean, how you process information. It's been in studies show that if you write it manually on a piece of paper, you process the information better than if you type it on a keyboard. Now we're going we're getting rid of that. We've gotten rid of the you know, penmanship, and now we're going to get rid of the keyboard. It's all going to be voice. And that's you know, you're going to have people who are listening to podcasts, who are listening to you know, Instagram feeds and so on and so forth. But I think for authors it's going to be a fallow period.
Speaker 3: Let's put that.
Speaker 1: And for people who actually are informed by history, let's talk about the AI data centers though that would power the etso self and all this revolution. Who's winning this war? Because both the right and the left are angry about it, But I think the left is angrier.
Speaker 2: Well, I think that what's happened in these democratic primaries. I think it's one of the sort of secret sauces that the left has deployed is opposition to data centers to sort of the symbol of big text power. But in the case of the left wing of the Democratic Party, they've also been specifically critical of big tech, and they've been specifically critical of the you know, the power of AI making people ordinary people, so to speak, uh, you know, powerless, And this is you know, we saw it with Kathy Hochel banning for one year development of any data centers in New York State. She didn't do that because she thinks it's the right thing to do. She did that because the left is rising in New York State. As you know, Mandani being the being the sort of primary example of that.
Speaker 1: The one that's most interesting to me.
Speaker 2: Is Francesca Francesca hang, excuse me, who is the left wing candidate for governor in Wisconsin is the primary upcoming there. She has used the data center slash big tech issue to her advantage, and it's quite possible she'll win the nomination.
Speaker 1: John Ellis, the fracking issue ten to fifteen years ago was glowing down to by the left, and they convinced the American middle for a while that fracking was bad for you, until the American middle figured out, we like natural gas, we like our house is heated at the old prices, and we want the oil price to be down. Do you think that the campaigning and data set as an AI is similar to the data the campaign against fracking of a ten fifteen years ago, and it will eventually turn when productivity is measured and people understand we really need this. You know, I can tell you a story.
Speaker 2: My son in law is in the alternative energy space and they are developing a solar plant, if you will, in Hood County, Texas, which is west I think of Elpaso. I think Quitt County, Texas was eighty two percent Trump, and so he's coming down from you know, alternative energy. He's thinking, these people, aren't you know, they're not going to like me. They're not going to like the idea. They couldn't he said, they couldn't have cared less about his solar plant. They were fine with that. What really had them riled up was the building of a data center in Hood County. And so I think what's unusual about about this issue is that it unites the right and the left, and so it's a different kettle of fish. And I think, you know, I think people are really concerned about enormous power being transferred to a very very small group of people. So I don't mean real power energy the grid. You mean the grid, No, I'm talking about real power like you know, if you if you yeah, or just power. If you control the most important technology arguably in the history of mankind. And they're aren't that many of you. You have the most money, you have, the most juice, you have, you know, On and on it goes. And people in Hood County, Texas or Brattleboro, Vermont are of a similar opinion.
Speaker 1: That this is not a good idea.
Speaker 2: I mean, you can unite Bannon with whoever the left wing strategist is on this issue.
Speaker 1: Wow, I have to let that settle a little bit. Hassan Piper and Steve Bannon wouldn't have thought about that. John ellis editor, founder of News Items, which I begin my day with, and you want to as well, the substack that condensers and organizes all the world's news overnight so you don't have to read all everything in order to understand what matters. Most news items from John ellis Thank you, John. I'll be right back with Eli La. Welcome back America. Eli Lake is the pre press correspondent who's also the host of Breaking History. Eli. I am looking at the live feet of the the US Air Force airlift to the Middle East. It is ongoing, continuous and busy. What do you think is happening. I don't know, but I would imagine I have something to do with Iran. Seems like the President is hinted, at least in his you know speech last night that you said, you know, wait and see something about it.
Speaker 4: He mentioned it.
Speaker 5: He kind of said, well, well, and we'll see more in Iran soon. So I don't know, you know, well, we'll have to wait and see.
Speaker 1: John Ellis just speculated the best way to finish this war is to deliver a big blow and then just keep the blockade in place and see what happens. What do you think of that theory?
Speaker 5: Well, you know, my view is that if if Trump, if Trump, it's really Israel in America. If the result of the two wars is that we've taken away the Iranian nuclear program and we haven't suffered a global recession and there you know, hasn't been other kind of cat traffic effects of that, then that's overall going to be a you know, then that's a that's a win.
Speaker 4: It doesn't.
Speaker 5: It's not a win in the conditions that we may have hoped initially with the initial decapitation strikes and getting rid of promenade. It did not end up in toppling the regime, but I think the regime is much weaker and it doesn't have a nuclear blackmail, and then over time, hopefully the slow process of you know, military naval escorts of ships in the straight up form moves close to the Oman side will hopefully you know, mitigate the the blackmail of the of the regime when it comes to the straight offem Mousa.
Speaker 1: I want to switch to two men who would be president Ambassador Ram Emmanuel Kilmer may or Chicago, former chief of staff to the President, and jade E Vance, the Vice President. Ram Emmanuel gave a speech last week in Tel Aviv that was very specific in his criticism to Israel. The Evans gave it three hour interview that I've not yet listened to. I've read many accounts of some of them conflicting. I assume you're up to speed on both. How do the two men compare in their approach to Israel, if at all?
Speaker 6: It's a good question.
Speaker 5: I mean, I want to start with Ram Emmanuel, who you had a great interview with. I thought on the show this week and I disagreed with his speech. I still come I think he's coming from a place of what he's what he calls tough love, but I think he misdiagnoses the problem in that. What he's saying is is that if Israel can show a path to a two state solution and you know, meet halfway some of you know, it's critics, then you will find that then Israel will find that it's isolation in elements and pockets of the West will diminish and go away.
Speaker 4: I think he's wrong.
Speaker 5: I think what the problem is is that we've all already seen it in the UK Labor Party, the Democratic Party right now is in the process of, at the very least forming a coalition with people whose views are basically Prohamas, that are anti Western, anti American and anti Israel and don't believe that the Jewish state has a right to exist. And if you form a kind of how do I put it, if you form a coalition with a group like that, because of their illiberalism, because they are not committed to our values, they will ultimately end up eating their you know, the children of the revolution, or they will ultimately end up prevailing by any means necessary. We saw a preview of that this week on the podcast known as drop Site News, where Rocanna, who has you know, recently kind of reinvented himself to pander to this crowd, was you know, repeatedly asked in a kind of struggle session by one of the interviewers, Jeremy Scale, whether you know Palestinians had a right to attack Israeli soldiers and it kind of why can't they do October seventh, where they attacked these military bases and it was insane, you know. To to Kna's credit, I'm not a fan. He didn't take the bait. But the point is is that that's where it's headed. So I just think that that rama Manuel is kind of going to Israel, beating up on Israel in, you know, and his argument is like, hey, you got to do some of these things and that'll be the way out of your isolation. And my point is is that it's not going to make a difference if you have center left parties aligning themselves with these hard leftists.
Speaker 4: Now, in the case of JD.
Speaker 5: Vance, my issue with him was more about he kind of implied that he, you know, there might be some things, there might be files that connect Jeffrey Epstein to the CIA and the Mozad, but you know, the probably destroyed a.
Speaker 1: Long time ago.
Speaker 5: That is pouring gasoline on conspiracy theory. You're the vice president, you need to be responsible when you're asked about that. I also think that his theory that you know themou that he that he was negotiating with the Iranians was somehow sabotaged by harsh criticism inside the United States among you know, pro Israel supporters of Trump is risible. It was sabotaged because the Iranians are who they've always been, which are you know, a bunch of terrorists who lie.
Speaker 4: So you know, that was disappointing.
Speaker 5: But you know the bottom line is that I made this case on the commentary podcast. Jd Vance is not somebody who I think hates Israel or once you know it, sort of wants to see its destruction, or is overly concerned, is convinced that is what's become a monstrosity. Jd Vance wants a grown up relationship between the United States and Israel.
Speaker 4: I do too.
Speaker 5: By the way, I'm in favor of ending the military aid in the military subsidy at this point, So that strikes me, as you know, fairly reasonable. And he's been pretty consistent. If you go back to twenty twenty four and you listen his speech at the Quincy Institute, what you find is as a politician who is making the argument that Israel is a valuable ally because it can defend itself and defend American interests. So on that point, I will just sort of say I think he's okay. I do have a lot of other problems right now with Jade Vance in this world, and you know, chief among them would be you know, he still is I think an ally and won't denounce Tucker Carlson, who I really do think is like launched into orbit.
Speaker 1: You will let me ask you out there, low on time here, Yeah, and it might go into the break. I've interviewed the Vice present a lot when he was running for Senate in the Senate and a couple of times since to be been Vice president nominated. He's always been Israel is its own country. It needs to do what it needs to do to protect it security, kind of a grown up attitude. I think both Ram Emmanuel and jd Vance are playing the first inning of the long game in the question for the nomination by going to their left or to their right in the case of Vance, so Ram Emanuel went to the left. Vance went to the right just to kind of touch base before you go back to the center right and the center left. Are they doing the same thing for their respective parties? And I haven't heard the Vance interview. I'm just trusting your assertion there.
Speaker 5: My concern really about Dvance is less to do with what he says about the US Israel relationship, And it's much more to do with the fact that he seems to be in a position if you want to say he's tacking to his right right now or trying to keep shore up his base of not offending a bunch of anti Semitic conspiracy theory, you know, nonsense people. My view is that those people, just like I don't think I'm glad that that Buckley ultimately led the chart to get the Burchers out of the party. Well, we have a Bircher problem in twenty twenty six on the right, and jd Vance at this point has shown me that he doesn't want to offend him.
Speaker 1: Doesn't mean he's one of them, because.
Speaker 4: I don't think he is.
Speaker 5: Rob Emmanuel's problem is that he doesn't understand how insipid and terrible the new left popular socialists are that are trying to enter the Democratic Party.
Speaker 1: Think longer on that, Eli, because I think it's the same problem for both guys. But you're smarter than I am, so I'll wait to read what you write in the Free prom or say I'm breaking history is a wonderful podcast. ELI like fall him on. Actually, ELI like thank you I'll be right back in America. What continetti, I'm a little bit high.
Speaker 4: The loring. I ain't saying action never took a troll on me for what is work.
Speaker 1: I can finally we going back America. I'm Hugh Hewittt. Matt Contenenny is my guest head of Domestic Policy Studies at the American Enterprises Too calmnist for the Wall Street Journal. And this is my now new feature for the young, the young members of my show New and Rising Stars. I just want to see if Matt is hip. Do you know who this is? Matt Connetty.
Speaker 4: No, I'm not young, and I am not hip. It's mattis now lumineers.
Speaker 1: It's Max McNown and he's a big deal among the young. So I'm glad to hear I'm not the only guy emotional music deal that was.
Speaker 7: I was so I mean, I don't know, kind of depressing intro. I'm so geared up to talk about the news of the week and now I might, you know, have to sippolaate or something.
Speaker 4: And because I'm a.
Speaker 1: Little bit dumb, but I'm a lot more free. That's kind of like the world. Uh, let's go to Iran Matt Conney. I have just read Rebecca Heinrich's estimate that if there's a ground force, it won't be for long, but there might be ad for it. I listened to Posish speech last night. I was kind of disappointed he didn't do more on Iran, but he said stay tuned, and the real time air bridge visuals are amazing. Everything is going to the Middle East Bass. What do you think is going to happen.
Speaker 7: Next Well, I think the President is preparing to escalate the conflict, and I think what we've seen you in the past week is a gradual escalation, and not only a return to combat operations, the resumption of the blockade on Iranian ports, but now also targeting dual use infrastructure in Iran, which of course we've been talking about on this program for months, but taking out some of those bridges, taking out some of those economic facilities, transportation hubs, all part of an effort to seriously degrade and eventually deny Iranians the ability to shut down the Straight of Hormuz. So I'd say the preparations we're seeing taking place right now, or providing the President options to continue that effort in the coming.
Speaker 1: Week Congressman Hargen from North Carolina told me earlier this week, we cannot take Karj Island as I've been proposed, because it's lower than the high ground from which the Iranians could fire onto it. I was unaware of that basic fact, but he's a Special Forces veteran. Were you aware of that fact?
Speaker 7: Well, I suppose I was aware that a lot of that coastal topography, as you can see on the map, is elevated, and it's a mountainous part of Iran, which is in general with kind of a mountainous country than large country, but the plenty of mountains there, and so you see the drone and missile teams that have been harassing the shipping in the Strait of Hermus are able to kind of operate within these elevated conditions, kind of sneak in and out and fire at shipping.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 7: I think one point Congress and Harrogan made that stuck with me was this idea of boots on the ground and how an operation to siege carg Island would be different than our incredible rescue operation of the two downed airmen earlier in Operation Epic theory, this would be an operation where we would seize and hold ground Iranian territory, and that of course would mean that our soldiers would be the targets of drone and missile attacks. And so if we're going to pursue that policy, I think every effort needs to be made to prepare for how the Iranians would attempt to retaliate an attempt to harm our soldiers. I think that's one reason why President Trump, of course, has always been very reluctant to put boots on the ground unless he knows that the mission is defined, that there's a time set, and that the objectives can be achieved.
Speaker 1: The opportunity for other ground troops. Do you think our Arab colleagues, Israeli forces, but UA, which is deployed with US to Afghanistan, deployed with US to Iraq, you think that the UA and other Arab troops might be involved in such an incursion where necessary.
Speaker 7: I'd be very skeptical of that idea, Hugh, mainly because our golf allies have participated in some extent in retaliating against Iran, because of course Iran has been striking at them since the very beginning of the open conflict earlier this year.
Speaker 4: But I don't say I'm not sure they've been at the forefront.
Speaker 7: Let's say certainly not anywhere near where Israel was during the first phase of Operation Epic Fury, Operation Roaring Lion for the Israelis. So I'd be surprised if we saw a deployment of golf military assets in any in any ground operation, just as you know I begin I'd be a little bit surprised if there were a major ground operation in the coming weeks.
Speaker 1: I'll be right back with Matt Contney during the break talk about the President's speech on Thursday night, Don't go anywhere. He'll be back after the break to talk about Ram Emmanuel and Vice President Advance. Both men gave speeches. They were different, but they were the same. One gave a speech, one gave an interview. I want to be specific. Don't go anywhere. I'll be right back on the huge deal of show. I'm back now with Matt conten Any of the Wall Street Journal and AEI. Matt. I stayed up later than I wanted to. I do Fox and Friends first this morning in the five o'clock hours, so I didn't really want to stay up to watch the President's speech and thankfully it was only twenty seven minutes, and I said, I stayed up for that. I got the documents down this morning. What'd you make of it? And the DOCUMENTCY released which were heavily redacted, I mean very heavily redacted.
Speaker 7: But it was a very interesting speech that the President gave Hugh. I like the fact that he wants to give more of these addresses. I think it's a setting we don't usually see him in. I thought the subject to the speech was very much defined. You know it previously in the week we had heard it would be a potpourri or a shmorgasboard. But he wanted to talk about election integrity. He wanted to talk about the Save America Act. And I really think that's what this speech was about, marshaling some new evidence, some new disclosures to say that our election system is vulnerable. It's vulnerable to outside influence, it is leaky, it is not very efficient, for sure, especially when you think of states like California or New York, and we need to be.
Speaker 4: Addressed and there.
Speaker 7: I think that the message on the Save America Act is useful for a couple reasons. Politically, One is it is a defined agenda item, and it's critical for President Trump.
Speaker 4: Two, it's something that the.
Speaker 7: Base of the Republican Party cares passionately about. And right now, the big I think challenge facing Republicans ahead of midterm is a lack of enthusiasm for the election, kind of a complacency. People are more or less happy with President Trump's tenure in office if you're a Republican, so they need an additional reason to go to the polls. And so what I see in this speech is President Trump giving his voters a reason to go to the polls, to advocate for the Save America Act and to put on pressure on the Senate to pass it.
Speaker 1: You know, the reveal to me because I did get the first document down on the chicoms They've got two hundred million American voter files. That means they know name, address, and residents. That's very unnerving. Don't you find that to be very unnerving? Oh?
Speaker 4: Incredibly.
Speaker 7: I mean the Chinese penetration of American systems of identification, whether it's a voter role, remember the OPM hack many years back, where they just they seized all the information of government employees. Over decades, China, we now know, of course, if you look at the mayor in southern California who was revealed to be a China spy.
Speaker 4: China has penetrated.
Speaker 7: Our society, and so I think it's totally legitimate for the President to raise this issue. We have to be concerned about it, and we have to take steps to secure our voting process. And then we also have to look at the voter ID point, which is something he's stressed in, which is part of the Save America Act that is extremely popular, initiative voter ID. It's common sensical we take ID everywhere. Everyone has an ID. Obviously there are a few exceptions that can be addressed, but you know, hard cases don't make fruit law. Right, people like the idea of voter ID. And again, that's an issue that President Trump knows his voters respond to, and something we see at work in last night's speech.
Speaker 1: And he sucker punched a lot of the left that thought he was going to relitigate twenty twenty and he did not, except for a couple of cues here and there, he really didn't. I mean, right back with Matt Cotton and he stay tuned America. The Jack wasn't so busy. Welcome back America. I'm playing happy Jack with Matt Connelly. Didn't like my downer music the last time edried it. Do you like happy Jack?
Speaker 4: Matt?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 4: Of course? How can I not love smiling? Here is get into our next segment.
Speaker 1: Let me put for for you two exhibits. Ambassador, former mayor of Chicago, former chief of staff to the President of the United States, former member of Congress from Emmanuel goes to Israel gives a speech. I discussed it with him. This week. Vice President Vance flies to California does a three hour interview with Joe Rogan, which I have not listened to, and I'm leary of clips because of AI and editing. But maybe you know more about it than I do. I think they were doing the same thing, which is playing to a part of their party that they perceive a need to at least be on talking terms with as they quest for the presidency. What did you make of both and how do you compare each?
Speaker 6: All?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 7: Well, just to start with Emmanuel, I mean their ram Emmanuel's speech, of course, was based on partisan reasons. Ramamanuel's thinking of running for president in twenty twenty eight, and his party has taken a sharp turn against the state of Israel. We saw that just in the House this week, where over one hundred House Democrats voted to cut off aid to Israel. You know, ten years ago the number would be zero. Now it's one hundred and three, and you can just see there. The Democrats are becoming an anti Israel party. Ram Emanuel knows it. In his speech in Israel, Emmanuel made three claims Hugh that I truly disagree with. One is the idea that Israel is isolated. Israel is not isolated at all. It accounts among his allies the most powerful democracy in the world, the United States, and the most populous.
Speaker 4: Democracy in the world, India.
Speaker 7: Another claim Emmanuel made was that you know, for too long, he says, American support for Israel has been unqualified.
Speaker 4: We've done whatever Israel wants.
Speaker 7: And my response to him there is look in the mirror, mister ambassador, because you worked for three presidents Clinton, Obama and Biden whose support was not unqualified at all. I mean, who did in fact that, in Obama's case, did everything he could to create daylight between the United States and Israel.
Speaker 4: And then the third idea.
Speaker 7: He had is this idea for a twenty three state solution, the idea that rather than try to have a two state solution between Israel and a potential Palestinian state, the settlement of the Israeli Palestinian dispute should be submerged within a settlement between Israel and the Arab League. But that is just an evasion in my view, because at the end of the day, the obstacle to peace in the Middle East is not Israel. The obstacle to peace in the Middle East is Palestinian denihilism, Palestinian denial of Israel's right to exist. That is what has prevented every single peace agreement from bearing fruit. And until the Palestinians change their attitude toward Israel and accept Israel's right to exist as a Jewish state, you will not have any peace. So that is rama Manuel a speech that he is delivering to an anti Israel party, but I think that was riddled with errors. For Vice President Vance and his interview with Joe Rogan, I'm not sure actually what the party aspect of it is. Hugh, I have to tell you, because as the Democratic Party is turning against Israel, the Republican Party is not in fact, the Republican Party is driving out the anti Israel members. And just look at that resolution I mentioned. It was sponsored by Thomas Massey, a Republican lser. But who is just Republican loser who just lost his seat to a primary challenge sponsored by President Trump. So who is the audience that that Joe Rogan represents and that jd.
Speaker 4: Vance is catering to with his comments.
Speaker 7: It's not Republicans, but it is part of the Trump coalition. It is kind of the newer elements of the Trump coalition that were very important to Trump's victory in twenty twenty four. What they're called low propensity voters. They're not necessarily attached to the party structure, they did not like the way things were going under Biden, and they were part of Trump's winning coalition in twenty twenty four. And I think they're what the Vice president is concerned about is keeping those voters in a potential twenty twenty eight coalition. At the same time, I think some of the claims he made we're also ill founded.
Speaker 1: Is it possible? I argued with rom Emmanuel, there are factual errors in his speech. The United States was not around nineteen forty eight. Ike was actually very hard on them. In nineteen fifty six, we were absent in sixty seven. Nixon came in and saved Israel in seventy three, and that's when the modern rule. So I was just wrong on fact. Is it possible? Jd Vance is playing to an esthetic Paul's among younger voters, which is it doesn't really matter what you say, but it matters where you say it, and that in the course of saying it, you demonstrate that you're a real person who hasn't been fabricated in an industrial sized turnout politicians assembly line.
Speaker 7: Well, I think there's absolutely a part of that. I think about the Joe Rogan experience. It's an incredibly successful and popular podcast. Itself became an issue in the twenty twenty four campaign when President Trump sat for a three hour interview and Kamala Harris would not appear right because she didn't want to have to talk for that long.
Speaker 4: She wouldn't have been able to.
Speaker 7: So jd Vance is showing that he can be like President Trump again, trying to maintain the winning coalition from twenty twenty four in these coming years ahead of twenty twenty eight, and then you also raise a good point with the younger generation. I mean, there's no question that the two parties are now polarized on the question of Israel. Younger voters, though as a whole they are it seems to me to become our becoming as a whole more skeptical of the US Israeli alliance. There's clearly rising anti Semitism among this generation.
Speaker 4: So if you want to kind.
Speaker 7: Of keep them in the coalition as well, you might be saying statements that you know that there's Israel, Israel's involved in an influenced campaign to undermine the mo OU when there's no real evidence of that. There are people who had criticisms of the MU and people who saw a ran for what it was. They were the ones who were saying that this MoU wuldn't work, and guess.
Speaker 4: What, it didn't.
Speaker 7: But you might if you might want to say, look, this is we don't need to have a stronger relationship with Israel as we have had in the past. If you want to kind of make sure that you have connections and inroads to these to these younger voters.
Speaker 1: I think that's very very sharp. Matt Continey and I look forward to listening to yesterday's comment podcast, on which I assume you were but I couldn't listen to it yesterday, and reading your Wall Street Journal expressions call him from today, which again I'm behind today because of a variety of reasons, but I appreciate the time as always. Follow Matt on exit Continetti, read him in the Wall Street Journal, hear him on the Thursday episode of the Commentary podcast, and Fridays and Tuesdays when we're lucky here on the New Hewitt Show. I may miss you next week. Matt. By the way, I've got to go to Florida and we'll be guest hosts both of your days next week. Don't go anywhere, America.
Speaker 4: I ain't saying that you never too. Console on me.
Speaker 1: Welcome back America, Morning, Glory, and even Grace. I'm Hugh HEWITTT. And that is this week's quiz for Ben Dominant's opinion editor at The Daily Wire, Fox News contributor host of the Big Ben Podcast, trying to test and see if he actually knows any about new music. Ben, you know that is a lot.
Speaker 3: That is that it's mac something, isn't.
Speaker 4: It It is?
Speaker 1: Oh, that's a half point Max mcgowon mcdown all right.
Speaker 3: Sorry, said there's not a lot of musicians neared Max.
Speaker 1: You know, Matt Connanny didn't even play. He didn't even try and get in on the game. So you're much that's probably because of your wife, right, she's the country person. Right.
Speaker 3: Actually, you'd be surprised by by by my playlist. I would, I would thank you, Hewitt. But yes, I've I've heard this and and I can't always name, you know, the country song if you kind of you need to listen for a little bit to get something. But I did that. This one has come across my radar. So yes, all right, so.
Speaker 1: I got this is cultural. We'll get the politics. I can't remember the names of actresses who are under forty, you know, I just they're gone and there they come, like in the Lioness that we're watching it now and the Fetching Missus. Hewett knows who every one of the young stars are, and I have no idea.
Speaker 4: Do you.
Speaker 3: Lionis is So it's that is actually one of the rare entries in the Taylor Sheridan cinematic universe. I should say that I am that I have not actually watched I know Kidmond's in it. But other than that, no, Nicole Kidman, isn't it.
Speaker 1: She's fabulous, as is everyone in the first two episodes Grab You. But okay, so I'm glad, or at least for one. For one, let's get to the serial.
Speaker 3: I'll tell you. I'll tell you the thing. The thing that is true about this though, is that what's amazing to me is that there are actresses that you know when you're my age, exclusively from trailers for movies that you never see like I think I think a good example of that. I mean, I've actually seen a lot of movies with her because I think she's a good actress. But Margaret Qually is somebody who I think, you know, I was having a conversation with the other day. I was like, how many actual movies have you seen with her in it? And they were like, uh, she's in the Tarantina one for that I've met.
Speaker 1: You're a millennial though, right, You're you and your spouse are millennials.
Speaker 3: Truly millennial?
Speaker 1: Yes? Yeah, and so what's that? What I got to ask the other day is who are going to be the opinion makers among the next generation? Now? I know gen X pretty well I know the millennials pretty well. I don't know that anyone's risen to the top in gen Z, has anyone.
Speaker 3: The only people who've risen to the top in gen Z, I would argue to this point, have been video creators and influencers, and some of those I think have been quite you know, creative and an innovative. Nick Sureley would be a good example of that. There are people. I think the people who are going to rise to the top are the people who are already demonstrating a capacity for doing something more than offering opinions. Namely they're doing reported opinions and the like, or they're digging into things. But look, it is it's it's a it's a it's a generation, a zoomer generation that I am. You know, we have multiple staffers now staffers, not just interns, who were born after nine to eleven, and and I sit down with them on regular occasion to do what we call nineties lunch, and we talked through various things that happened, you know, before they were born, basically that led up to the world that they were in. And they'd say all sorts of interesting things. For instance, you know, one of them last week was saying, I had no idea that Bill Clinton was so charming, and indeed he was, Oh yeah, gaps to fill there.
Speaker 1: Okay, you work among a very young demo, and so I'll ask the same question I asked of John Ellis. John is always on Salem News Channel with his books behind him. And when John and I are bout Boomers and we're growing up, there's like three networks and they're usually running bad stuff. So you read and you read, and you read and you read. You read comic books, and then you read thrillers and you read Ludlam and then you read history. And all you did was read, read, read, read, read. That's going away, Ben, Nobody reads the way that the boomers read because we had nothing else to do. What's that going to do to the political talent in America?
Speaker 3: This is the thing that I think is going to happen from that. And I actually can use a again my own fellow junior staffers, who are who are you know? Obviously if you come and work for the Daily Wire or something like that, you are someone who has the ambition to work you know potentially in the media political field that the thing that is marked about them is they are always asking me for book recommendations. I've given books to each of our younger staff good in the office. Uh and and they're different books, you know, based on there In fact, this might amuse you. I gave the John Pudortz's book, Uh, Hell of a Ride about the Bush Campaign to somebody to the other day. I gave a copy of Primary Colors to somebody the other day.
Speaker 1: Oh, very good, Joe Klein.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so you know, it's not you're not just I think you have to ease them into, you know, the point where they're reading Orienti Flacci, or they're you know, or they're going back and you know, so what was this Christopher Hitchins guy about or something like that.
Speaker 1: Well, I read deeply in British history. I mean, I know British history, and I'm just I'm finishing a new book on Oliver Cromwell and Charles Second because it's something I grew up with. It became a passion because it was kind of interesting and weird. I don't think anybody does that anymore.
Speaker 6: Do they?
Speaker 3: You know, I think it takes a while for people to get into that. One of our younger staffers, I think that this would be of interest to you is actually someone who basically wants to read every book that's about Richard Nixon and right now is you know, I've given him a couple and I think that you know, he's he's very you know, he's fascinated by a certain period in history. I think that this is going to be the differentiator going forward. If you are a zoomer who manages to still take time to actually read books, to not just live on the Internet, to not just live in the world of Instagram reels and TikTok and x and everything else, that is going to be the thing that separates you from other people because you will have the capacity for not just you know, historical knowledge, but I think deep thought about the differences between those things. You're completely right by the way. When I was growing up, my family didn't have cable, you know, we didn't you know, we had the limited networks, and so you know, I literally worked at the local library and I would take the time at the end of the day to you know, take all of a stack of books and that kind of thing. That's it's a it was a mark then of just sort of starting early today, I think it's a mark of standing out within a generation that yeatistically is just not reading books the way that they ought to.
Speaker 1: It will be an enormous advantage. And by the way, I hope you tell that young staffer. Although it's not much loved by Nixon people, Nixon Agonisties by Gary Wills is a left wingers view of Richard Nixon, which is wrong, but it's good and it's good to have that kind of a I spent last week and at Lacasa Pacific a one hundredth anniversary celebration, so I was deep into Nixon world last weekend. So I'm glad to hear that you've got one set in my way. If they ever wanted to be a guest on The Uwitt Show, we'll talk about that.
Speaker 3: Absolutely.
Speaker 1: No, let's get to the Let get to the news. There is an airlift. I'm watching the live stream tracking the United States Air Force airlip. It's massive. Ben. What do you think we're going to do over the weekend in Irun?
Speaker 3: You know, Hugh, I'm reluctant to guess, only because I feel like I've been wrong on your program so many times when I thought the President was going to lean so hard into them but I still think that that is the case right now. I think he's fed up, he is set up with this situation. And you know, look, I think and we can talk a little bit about what the Vice President did when he went on Joe Rogan this week, but the MLU is in the past. It's in the rear view mirror. It was a punt that that potentially had some kind of squeaky way that it might have worked. A lot of us who were skeptical, I think we're proven right by the actions of the Iranians since then, and there is just no defending it anymore. And there's there's just nothing. I mean, look, I heard the words from from Tom I heard the quotes from Tom Cotton about this, and I agree with them. You know, it's just not it is not a situation that is in any way stable. We have to, you know. And then this is something that I think I appreciate it from Cotton because I think it's important to redefine the nature of what victory looks like right now for voters and people who are listening and people you know who basically kind of tuned this out at some point and then and have this vague idea that we are losing, which we are not. But also, you know, we aren't winning like we haven't been. You know, we've accomplished great things, but but what does victory look like? And I think that that's something that Republicans need to understand. They should be defining and then saying here's what we need to do to achieve this. This is the goal that we have. And that gets rid of the accusation from both right and left that this is going to be some you know, forever war situation, boots on the ground in a ran situation. That is not you know, what we're trying to do here, and that's not something that is part of you know, the president's overall approach to foreign policy. It's never been part of it. And so instead, I think it's important to say, look, this is our definition of what victory looks like. We think we're going to have to take these additional steps in order to achieve it. It is achievable, and we're going to do it.
Speaker 1: I hope he does that. I wish he had done it last night. During the break, we're going to talk about two speech or a speech and an interview Ron Emmanuel and JD. Vance because they were both talking to perceived political groups of influence within their party, I think, but we'll compare and contrast. But in the meantime, Senator Cotton said, we need to destroy their military ability to project for us, and that includes threatening the straight down me and regime change could mean the collapse follows. But that's doable, Ben, thirty seconds of the break, don't you think that's doable.
Speaker 3: It is doable, and it's by doing the things that we haven't done yet, which we've target, which we've talked about before, the targets that we have not hit and decided not to hit because of you know, frankly, I think there was this window where they were trying to get a deal done. Now that's over and so now you got to hit it.
Speaker 1: We'll be right back with Ben during the break and after the break, don't go anywre America. But I'm back with Ben Dominic now. Ben, I have not seen the Vice President's interview with Joe Rogan, and I refuse to watch clips because they can be manipulated. So I'm going to have to make the time.
Speaker 3: I guess, Yeah, I would encourage you to do so. And yes again whenever The danger by the way of going on Joe Rogan, and this has to drive political consultants crazy, is that you end up talking for two and a half three hours, and that can be completely manipulated or taken out of context in ways that are completely unfair to the person being here.
Speaker 1: That's why I won't watch the clips because I don't even know if they're real, much less in context. But we have these two parallel events. Rama Manuel ambassador of Japan, Mayor of Chicago, chief of staff to President Obama, powerful member of Congress, the Emmanuel family is powerful in many ways. He goes to Israel, gives a speech blasting BB and Israel and warning them. Jade Evance goes on Joe Rogan and I don't know what he does yet, but I've seen stories that allege he's done a lot of things on the How do you compare those two presentations? And we're going to go into the next segment as well, so take your time.
Speaker 8: You know.
Speaker 3: The thing that I'll focus on the road interview first, just because it seems to me that the Vice president is trying to achieve something with this interview, that he's trying to achieve multiple goals, he's trying to humanize himself, which I think he does quite well. But I think he's also trying to reshape the narrative around this MLU and the people who were criticizing him over it, because I think he views this, you know, correctly, as being his first major sojourn into foreign policy where he really owned something within the administration or was viewed as it's leading champion, and it didn't work out, and so now he's trying to, I think, you know, reframe this thing. The thing that bothered me, I think it was You can pick different things out about it, but I still think it is disingenuous to sort of paint this as being a deal that went bad because of any actions on the part of Israel or people who support Israel or those who you know, view US as having a close alliance with Israel. I did think it was it was funny that he did something that a lot of people who I think are in the kind of moderate can't do when they're talking about foreign policy, which he said, you know, why can't we just have a relationship with Israel, which is like our relationship with England and France. Number one, have you checked our relationship with England and France free because it's not actually that good. In fact, I would put Japan, South Korea, you know.
Speaker 1: Oh boy, yeah, yes, there are a number of nations I would say before we get to ten Downing Street.
Speaker 3: So I look, you know, we can we can discuss that. Set that aside. But look, I think that the mistake that the vice president is kind of making here is one that says that he's kind of trying to appeal to the same people over and over. And those are the people who listen to these who listen to these podcasts primarily. And I think that the vice president has the capacity, he's shown it before, to adapt and to reach across lines that he couldn't have crossed. He said all sorts of terrible things about Trump even after he was first elected president, and he ended up as his vice president. This is a guy who has canny knowledge about politics. You don't get to you know, you don't get to that point without having it. I think that he is operating here though with an attitude that it's just a little bit too online. And so I wrote a piece this week at The Daily Wire. The trend right now for for millennial parents is to give their kids a nineties summer, to send them outside a ton more, you know, get rid of screens, you know, less and less time with content that's been made since the nineties, and let them have more freedom. I think the Vice president needs a break from being online all interesting.
Speaker 1: We'll come back to come back online just a moment, stand by Ben, Welcome back America. Not happy music, happy Jack for Ben Dominic. Making sure that he knows, we know he likes the who. We'll give him some old stuff Ben. When Jad goes on Joe Rogan, I think he's making an aesthetic. I haven't even read it yet or seen it. I think he's just making a statement that I can do Joe Rogan to the youngs. Do you think that's part of it.
Speaker 3: I think it's a major part of it. He's basically saying, Hey, the flex here is I have the capacity to sit down and speak intelligently about all these different topics with the guy who basically, you know. My favorite comparison of the Rogan is that he interviews somebody as if he is like a Mongol warlord from the steps. He's just no conception. You know, mothers, why tree is so tall explains Joe. You know that kind of thing, which is which is actually I think a talent to a certain degree. It's it's something that uh, you know, I think if we still had it, uh you know, would would.
Speaker 1: I hear there are a lizard people under the trees?
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah, exactly exactly so. But the other thing that I think he's doing there is, you know, he's sending a I think he's trying to send a message about sort of how he will be different than this current Trump administration. That's the part of this that I don't like, because I feel like he's almost he's just jumped ahead. He's acting as if he's the candidate, as if he's potentially, you know, just like I'm the foregone conclusion of the nominee, and I'm telling you the kind of very very dangerous I would have, and that is very very dangerous.
Speaker 1: You got that blank on your left. It's not left wing, it's a left flank of the right wing. And that's that's open. Give me at least two minutes on ram Emanuel Ben because I think that was a watermark, a high water mark of anti Israel sentiment in the Democratic Party. When you get the Mayor of Israel. Rama Manuel's father fought in the War of Liberation in nineteen forty eight to save the State of Israel. To get him to basically hammer baby, but he's really hamming all, hammering all because then it's not going to be different. Isisinkott's not going to be different. They're not going to withdraw them the West Bank. So he's just beating them up with all of them.
Speaker 3: No, And I think that you're correct about this, and it really the sadness about this to me is that I really do believe that Israel is very close and we've seen it happen with with domestic issues in the past, Hugh, when it came to the you know, the NRA, and when it came to the pro life issue. There were there have been points in our lifetimes when that was something that was a bipartisan issue where you could get people on board, you could get people from the other side to come across. I truly feel like this that Israel has unfortunately ended up in a space despite all the efforts that the people who have funded different candidates and tried to work, you know, have tried to do, you know, within American domestic politics, they are becoming a monopartisan issue, and that is a dangerous place to be as a country, regardless of what that country is like, and particularly when it comes to Israel. So look, I am depressed by what I am seeing. I hope that there's going to be some pushback against it. We will see what comes out in terms of the remaining primaries, especially Michigan. But I think that one of the things that we can take away from the last essentially a couple of years that have followed October seventh, is that the shift that has happened among young people in America and therefore more sizeable among the Democrats than the Republicans, has turned Israel into a monopartisan issue where even people who have supported it in the past have have frankly a slowing willingness to say anything publicly. They try to keep their heads down. And you saw that vote, I mean play out in the House when it came to Thomas Matthew's proposal, The idea that you would have one hundred plus Democrats, you know, going along with that. You know, it just it boggles the mind of the way that they used.
Speaker 1: To be deeply troubling as it's our most important strategic ally got nothing to do with religious tradition, nothing to do with anything else. We need them. They project power and they have the will to do so, and they're on our team. Ben Dominich from The Daily Wire Fox News contributor the Big Ben Podcast, Thank you, my friend fallow them on x at b Dominich. My friends, you've probably seen the headlines are worse your latest bill, Big Wireless is raising rates again. That means you could be paying more for the same service or getting pushed into a price your plan you simply do not need. That's not right. You can switch to consumer sellulor right now and save an additional fifty dollars. When you go to consumer sellular dot com slash hue and use the promo code Hugh fifty and if you happen to be over the age of fifty, listen to this. You can get a single line with unlimited talk, text and data for just thirty five dollars a month. Remember their numbers eight hundred and four to one one forty four to fifty four, eight hundred four one one forty four to fifty four, eight hundred four one one forty four to fifty four Consumer Cellular ranks number one for network coverage and for customer satisfaction according to ACSI. And when you switch, you'll talk to an actual human being base right here in the United States. No long term contracts, no hiden fees. You can keep your phone or choose a new one. Get an additional fifty dollars off when you switch today using promo code Hugh fifty, and do not forget. If you are over fifty, you get a single line, unlimited talk texting data for thirty five dollars a month. Visit Consumer Cellular dot com slash hugh and use promo code Q fifty or call one eight hundred and four four fifty four and use promo code Hugh fifty. The images coming out of Venezuela are heartbreaking. Powerful earthquakes have left entire community in rubble. Families are already struggling, suddenly lost their homes, apartments, even access to clean water, the necessities needed to survive. Right now, children are sleeping and makeshift shelters. Parents are searching for food, clean water, basic safety for their family. That's why Food for the Poorest responding immediately, working through trusted local partners already serving these communities. They're providing the urgency food, drinking water, hygiene supplies, other life saving insistence. Relief can't wait. Every hour matters. The people of Venezuela need our prayers and they also need our help. From your mobile phone, text Hewitt hgw I T T to five to one five five five. Again, text HEWITTT hw Itt to five to one five five five. If you send a text, to receive a reply with a secure link where you can make your emergency gift to help the people who have Venezuela. Together, we give you the hands and feed of Christ, bring hope, relief, God's love to families who've lost so much. I'm you, Hewitt, and I thank you. Welcome back America. I'm so pleased to welcome back author Daniel Silva, whose brand new bestseller Ransom is fabulous. And I gon't emphasized how I often compliment Daniel Silva about his books. This one is great. Daniel Silva, welcome back. I was trying to think of how to describe this to people, and I'm going to say it's a counter save counter surveillance escapade like the Lisbon Game, only for a reader. Because the misdirection is wild in this one. So have you heard that from other Silva addicts?
Speaker 8: Uh?
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 8: I actually last evening I was doing an event in suburban Philadelphia and one of the audience members was questioning me about the complexity of the of the plot and how it sort of seemed to effortlessly tie together in the end, and how did I do that given the fact that I don't outline my books to begin with, And it was interesting trying to explain it. But yeah, it's a it's a It is a fast paced, uh summer read.
Speaker 6: It's really entertaining.
Speaker 8: It's part kidnap drama, it is part global thriller, uh. And it does deal with one of the most you know, serious challenges facing.
Speaker 6: The West right now.
Speaker 8: We all know that Russia is waiting a warf conquest in Ukraine, but it's less well known is that Russia is engaged in a years long campaign of sabotage and subversion against the countries of Western Europe, and one of their most effective weapons in their arsenals right now are drones.
Speaker 1: So I want people to understand Daniel Silva knows the GRU which is the old military intelligence KGB, being the equivalent of the CIA and the military intelligence being like our Defense Intelligence agency, and the GRU as you describe it, Daniel Silva is the brute the brute force operation and they're not subtle. And MI I six doesn't like them, or at least the folks out at the cottage don't like them as much as they like the KGB.
Speaker 6: I wouldn't say that they like the KGB, you know, the KGB is. The SVR is the equivalent of the CIA. Now. During Soviet times it was almost.
Speaker 8: Its own separate state in a way, and it had border functions, internal secuit ccurity functions, had I forget how many directorates there were of the old of the old KGV. But now the new SVR is the foreign intelligence operator. By the way, it does its fair share of wet work and other special operations. But the GRU, specifically Unit two nine five of the gr U, is really a sledgehammered. It has one mission, and that is to destroy liberal democracy as we know it. Vlaimir Putin views the very existence of democratic I'm saying small L, small D liberal democratic regime countries in the West as an existential threat to Russia, and he is trying to do everything possible to undermine and subvert them and destroy them, destroy NATO. And in the short term though, he's trying to punish the countries that have provided aid and sustenance to Ukraine. And I tell you a top at the top of his list, Britain is always there, but the country of Denmark. He has a special loathing for Denmark. I thought that Denmark crazy.
Speaker 1: That came I did the capabilities of our Western European allies. During the longer part of this what you'll play in two weeks. I'll put on the podcast immediately. For Silva addicts who want to get a teaser, then go get Ransom and read it. You can get the podcast today and then after I'm back next week. The week after we'll play the rest of this interview. But I want to read you from your pastoring Act quote page two fourteen. Remember you must never, under any circumstances despair, to hope and do act. These are our duties in misfortune. How long have you been waiting to use that? In a Gabrael Alan novel?
Speaker 6: You know it appeared in it.
Speaker 8: It was the epigraph actually for the collector. Yes, and I reprised it. I reprised it in this circumstance to you.
Speaker 6: You know that the I don't. I don't want to give.
Speaker 8: Too much away, but it's the character named Alice Winter is a very important character in this novel, and I wanted to you know, she comes across as as someone who's just sort of interested in being rich and a social media influencer. And then but actually when we get to know her a little better, she's a highly intelligent person. And she used that quote, so I repriased it for fans of that previous book, and I.
Speaker 1: Want people to look forward to you. I'm not going to tell you much about the character, but there is Oscar, and Oscar sort of like the new Goat that you know from all the gabriel Al novels. So Oscar is there for a little bit of fun. I want to know though in the short segment we have to it a half minutes left. Is Proteus real? I've asked you that before, but I can't remember what your answer is. That's a way to happen on your phone.
Speaker 6: Yes, it is real.
Speaker 8: I gave it a different name, uh and a different company, but.
Speaker 6: Yes, the way it's used is.
Speaker 8: A little different. But you know, look malware, which is what it is. It's very very common now. You know, we can't live without our phones, but if it were up to me, I would I would not have one anymore.
Speaker 6: These things they.
Speaker 8: Have our life on them, and it's so easy to turn it into just a little spy that follows you around. To trust me, Everyone in China their their phones are hacked by the government, and so you know that capability does exist to turn your phone into a full time surveillance device. So you're using the microphone to listen, you're using the camera to watch, You're reading text messages, you're reading emails, You're you're monitoring browsing, you're looking at location data. You know, it's it's a it's a stunning amount of information that we carry around in our pocket.
Speaker 6: It about ourselves.
Speaker 1: It is. In fact, you get so much tradecraft from ransom, especially new info on gate analysis, new info on surveillance techniques. Yet to read it, just to make yourself prepared. But it's a fabulous thriller. When I come back after breaking, I'll put it on the weekend pod. I'll play it in a week from now. We're going to get more deeper into the plot without giving anything away, But I want to tell the audience there is one perfect way to do this book. Get the hardcover and then indulge yourself and also get the audiobook. So I read the first three quarters in hard copy and then I got the audio book, and I've slowed myself down. I was obliged to slow myself down, and it's much better that way to read the thriller? To me, has anyone else done that? Daniel Silva? We got one minute. Did anyone do it that way?
Speaker 6: I am?
Speaker 8: I am ever surprised to return to last night. Someone tells me that every year they do the print version and the audio version.
Speaker 6: I'm very lucky to have an extraordinary actor who does the work on the books. And yes, so you're not alone.
Speaker 1: I'm so glad. But it does work that way. You don't go too fast, you enjoy it. And this one is so riveting. Daniel Silva is Ransom everywhere, Number one New York Times bestseller. Almost certainly keep listening to podcast or come back in two weeks and I'll play the rest of my interview with Daniel Silva. Stay tuned. I am back now with Daniel Silva, author of the brand new bestseller Ransom. I think it's his twenty fifth Gabriel Alon novel. I was describing it to the Fetching missus Hewett last night as a mix between a college reunion and a funeral for a loved one, So that the funeral for the loved one you see some friends you only see like ones every twenty years, and then the college reunion you see them every five years. You're best friends. And then there's some characters you don't want to see. So a lot of people are back, some people are missing, some people are back. I'm not gonna give anything away, but when, since you don't write with an outline, do at least begin with the number of characters you want to bring back for this episode.
Speaker 8: I don't want to correct the host that if you could believe it, it's the twenty sixth Gabriel Na. Oh my gosh, I know, I know, and it's my twenty night. So next year is a huge milestone here for me. Look I I I I have said this many many times. I shall say it again. I have tried to outline a book. It never doesn't work for me. The finished product never looks the way the way I outlined it. So I always thought it was a waste of time. And what really happens is that I tend to think of my first draft as actually a very long, detailed outline, and then I turned that that that that first, that first draft, into a second draft and ultimately a third and fourth draft, And that's that's how I do it. But I do think in this book, I'd say that I saw at least one hundred pages before I started writing.
Speaker 6: I didn't start with absolutely nothing.
Speaker 8: But by the time I finished the writing, finished the first chapter, I had it all figured out. I knew what the twist was going to be at the end. So I figured this one out a little earlier than I sometimes do. Sometimes I like to just go for a ride with Gabriel and experience things through his point of view and work it out with him.
Speaker 1: I'll tell you, though, it's been game, and we're not going to tell people what the losen of the game is with its references. It's like a World Cup summer book because it's got own gold and it's got a regulation play and the Lisban game. Was that on your mind when you were doing this, No, it wasn't.
Speaker 6: But they are European characters.
Speaker 8: British characters, and so I did borrow some football terminology. I think own gold did get in there in regulation play got into it, but that was written law before the World Cup.
Speaker 1: Office. Okay, well it's nicely time I.
Speaker 6: Did borrow some SERMs.
Speaker 1: I do want to talk about something that we can discuss. Because it's an actual episode from history. We won't tell how it fits in. I had completely forgotten about the IRA mortar attack on Number ten Downing in nineteen ninety one. When John I had it had gone from my head, Daniel Silva, because you know, you sleep on one side long enough and everything drains out. How did was that on your mind when you sat down or did that come in the course of the Just something to educate the readers about.
Speaker 8: No, no, I mean I wanted to without giving too much away, you know this that aspect of the plot was inspired by a series of real life events last autumn. You will remember that that Copenhagen Airport was shut down for several hours by a drones form its last September. They had to close the airport for six hours or so. It resulted in a spillover of travel disruptions all across the continent. But in the days that followed there were drones swarms at other civilian airports and at Danish military bases. Danish Prime Minister was so alarmed by this situation that she came this close to calling up the reserves. They never excused Russia flat out, but if you listen to their statements, it's clear that they believe and they know that Russia was behind it. And what what's interesting was that there was this previously scheduled emergency summit that was supposed to take place in Copenhagen just a couple of days after this, and the Danish intelligence service was so alarmed that the Russians were going to try to attack the summit with drone that they closed the airspace. They laid their hands on every drone kit at signal jammer anti drone kit, I should say a signal jammer they could lay their hand to try to protect that meeting. And that was the inspiration for the plot. And the very important meeting that takes place in my novel takes place at number ten, and I wanted to remind people that Number ten had been attacked before. John Major is a dear friend and a longtime reader oh, and I slid a conference in there. Yes, he got back to me just a couple of days ago, and so he was there and he you know, he's in the cabinet room with his entire cabinet when that when that mortar hit, I mean, and windows blew out and everyone is diving under the table.
Speaker 6: And he.
Speaker 8: Reacted with such extraordinary calm in that moment, and I wanted to sort of pay tribute to him. But yeah, that's a real incident, and I referenced it for very specific reason.
Speaker 1: I wish that we had British prime ministers anywhere near like the British prime ministers you invent for your book, and like mister Major. In fact, you even got a wonderful complement of Margaret Margaret Thatcher in here. She has a touch of missus Thatcher. She scares me more than mister Thatcher. About a different European leader, and we won't say which country, but it's an invented European leader. I thought. The only thing we disagree about Daniel Silva about Russia because they're a menace, is that the breach in between America and NATA is real. But I think it's because they took their holiday from history longer than we did. I polled all the defense spending GDP numbers. Jeremy down to two point four percent. France is at below that. Finland's at two point nine percent. That's pretty good, the Netherlands at two point six percent. Great Britain's at two point three percent. They couldn't even get a destroyer to the c of Omni was the Persian golf. They got to get more serious about this because Putin's a killer.
Speaker 6: They are serious about this.
Speaker 8: If you I can't remember which chapter.
Speaker 6: It is, but you know, gosh, I'm gonna let that ring.
Speaker 8: Okay, But Graham Seymour is working on a document that he's about to deliver to the Joint Intelligence Committee, which is overseers of the British intelligence community, and he's telling them we will be at Russia in the very near future. And I put that in the book, and I debated it until the very end.
Speaker 6: I said, I'm leaving it in there.
Speaker 8: And I don't know if you'd noticed a piece in this in the Times of London last weekend that they've now European intelligence services and political leaders are in agreement. It'll probably be will be in a shooting war by twenty thirty, Mark Ruta, the NATO General Secretary. If you read the quote at the end of the book talking about how this war is going to be, you know, along the lines of the ones that our grandsparents lived through, they are very.
Speaker 6: They are convinced.
Speaker 8: As soon as Putin is done in whatever fashion in Ukraine, his economy is a war economy. He can't make a transition back to a peacetime economy. There he is. He's going to continue with the wartime economy. He's going to rebuild his military and probably go straight for Estonia, and then then we're in the shooting war. And then what happens. Are we going to let him take it? Are we going to react? Are we going to be in a full fledged war? And will the United States be a part of that war? Interesting questions.
Speaker 1: I don't think we will let them take it. I believe that Poland, with its four point three percent GDP and Ukrainian technology, Lithuania is at four percent, be at three point seven, Estonia at three point four. I know, I just met with someone out in California, just came back from Latin, where our ambassador is at least Argiros. They're ready, I mean they're getting ready for this. And Poland may be the most prepared. Well, Finland is the most prepared NATO ally, so the Nordic country. The countries on the front line are ready, and Ukraine is invented left the right.
Speaker 8: That's the key word front, the frontline countries. And the other thing that you said is Poland and and I think the Poles could probably beat the Russians practically single handedly.
Speaker 6: If all the all that. I was.
Speaker 8: Discussing this very issue with one of my advisors who helped me with the with the drone technology on this book. There's no way that the Russians are going to beat to leave the United States out of it. The European powers can handle them on their own right now. They are rearming. Yes, Brittain is lagging behind. They have the terrible economic situation, the politics are in disarrayed. But the frontline countries are ready to go and they're not gonna They're not going to.
Speaker 6: Be taken over by the Russians.
Speaker 8: That the question is will it stay will it stay conventional?
Speaker 6: What are your thoughts on that.
Speaker 1: I don't think Putin is so stupid. He has children, I always take some solos in the fact that they're atheists and they have children as opposed to Iranians who are millennial as twelve vers, and they don't really care if the world blows up and everyone else. The atheists that have children, all they have is the country to go forward. But it's the theocrat fanatics and Iran I worry about. I want to go back, though, to a couple of fun things in this book. Well, another World Cup reference or football reference in the European style. D I Peel gets to play in the Premier League. I was so happy to see him back, and I nurse in the back of my mind, you're going to start another series with d I Peel that can be made into a BBC series that goes for you know, a season at a time, like Shetland, which somebody watches in the Silva household, right, either you or Jamie watch Shetland because it's in the book.
Speaker 6: We watch it side by side.
Speaker 8: We're Shetland addicts and I had to put a round bok.
Speaker 1: I thought it was great, so are we. And I also liked the fact a frequent guest on the program over the here has been Peter Baker. The only thing I found even slightly unbelievable that anyone in the Trump White House would leak to Peter Baker much less maybe they do. He's a fine reporter and he's never played a partisan game in his life, but his wife plays a partisan game. And so it's a it's an interesting bit of did Peter call you yet?
Speaker 8: Yes, Peter and are very good friends, very good friends. And I don't do that often. I don't name people by name. But I wanted to give a tip of the hat to Peter, so I let him break the news that there's going to be an important summit at Downing Street, that that the British were hoping to keep quiet for a couple more days.
Speaker 1: Well, let me ask you about And I learned things every time you write a book. A mountain set in Switzerland, inhabited by the or Off dragon, inhabited by the deathless soul of Pancha's pilot I have never heard of that in my life. Where did you find that? That's a legend in Christian myth? Where did that come from?
Speaker 8: Yeah, it's it's Pilatus, It's named for him. It's right near Interlockin. I wrote a biography of a speculative biography of of.
Speaker 6: Punches Pilots in the in.
Speaker 8: A book called The Order, And I did think I did reference that Pilotis in that. So you know, in early Christian literature, you know, Pilot was described as as as his deathless soul, that he for his eternal punishment was that he sort of wandered the woods of Europe, you know, you know, mortally grieving guilt, guilt written for what had happened.
Speaker 1: Jacob Marleyva books provided and so.
Speaker 8: But then one legend is that he inhabited he lived up up on the top of Mount Pilazzis up there, and people used to claim that they would see him sitting on a rock weeping in this this sort of sulfas spring up there. Anyway, that's Mount Pilazzis. Next time, next time you're interlock and it's right there.
Speaker 1: Well, where do you get your mountaineering, As I recall, you're not yourself a mountaineering I'm not. I've clibed one fourteen thousand foot peak and I called it Quitch Mount Sherman in Colorado's that's too hard. Where do you learn your mountaineering stuff? Because that that figures.
Speaker 6: In the well.
Speaker 8: Christopher Keller is a world class mountaineer, and that's been referenced in his character from the beginning. Uh And so you know, I I try to find, you know, first person accounts by by mountaineers of specific climbs, and so Christopher lived for many years. Of course, of course it actually has some serious mountains on it. And so you know, I approach it like any other aspect of the book.
Speaker 6: I try to I try to get it right.
Speaker 8: And some someday I'm going to write a book with Christopher that uh uh, maybe steal a little bit of the Igres section and write Nearing Thriller was one.
Speaker 1: Of my earliest weathers. It's really one of the.
Speaker 8: Greatest fabulous of all time. He was fabulous. He was just an extraordinary writer. Travallion to let me.
Speaker 1: Go then to a sapling Harry Wilson, now Daniel Silva doesn't introduce people by accident. They come back and people will be like I say, it's a college reunion or a family funeral. Harry Wilson shows up. He's not around very much. But you don't do that, do you. You don't introduce people for no reason. I mean, we've got the factotum for Graham Seymour. You mentioned Graham Seymours in the book, so I'll go with that fact totem. We've got the people at the cottage again, silver readers will know, maybe they'll remember what I'm talking about there. It's wonderful. It's comfortable to find these people. But when you bring someone in like dipl he shows up. Oh he was a kid ten books ago or twenty books ago and now.
Speaker 6: Twenty five books ago.
Speaker 1: Was he in the first book, the second book?
Speaker 6: First book? First? Okay, first, So he's.
Speaker 1: Back, and he's getting older, and he's got skills. Now we've got Harry. Do we expect Harry back?
Speaker 6: I think so.
Speaker 8: You know, I just needed I needed to move the characters, and I I hate throwaway lines.
Speaker 6: I hate throwaway scenes. I always try to make each scene.
Speaker 8: A little special, in in in some way, And so I created a tiny little character and created some interaction between the Sapling and the legends to try to just bring him into into sharper relief.
Speaker 6: I can't imagine we won't see Harry. His name is too good to.
Speaker 1: Let exactly there, and Mary Ala Cruse is too competent. We won't even tell people where mary Ala Cruz is, but she's too competent to let her disappear. Is that? Is that a good expectation on my part? You know?
Speaker 8: I when I was writing those scenes, I actually thought, boy, I would like to carry this character with Gabriel a little longer. And in the end I had to let her fall by the wayside as the as the second act began.
Speaker 6: But I just I just love that character. And again I just did a couple of little things with her.
Speaker 8: You know, her hand was all swollen and scraped, and it turns out that she's a real badass, and that there's a couple of lines of dialogue when she and Gabriel are driving that are to be some of the funniest things that.
Speaker 6: He's ever said. They were great together.
Speaker 1: It's a great thing. But I appreciate that you go you're aware of what happens in resort places, because I live not far from one, and they have Romanian seasonal staff, and I do not know where they go. I don't know where they live, and what you describe I have never experienced. But it made perfect sense to me. Have you been to such a place?
Speaker 6: Sure?
Speaker 8: I mean, you can't you can't not go to be in such a place in places like the south of France, where you know, you see like dormitory like settings if they're lucky. But in this case, and this has been well publicized, you know, beat this population. I'm going to get it wrong, but it goes from a tiny little bit in the winter and then all of a sudden it explodes. And I've had the situation. It's happening on Nantucket for example. You know, essential services workers in Nantucket can't afford to live there. Uh so they are commuting by the ferry every single day. And and I'm so sorry about that phone. I'm in a hotel room and I always wanted to to point that out and said, there's a character that we find in a in a homeless in camp.
Speaker 6: But they're all workers.
Speaker 8: They're all working their fingers to the bone, but they can't afford to live in the place where they work. It's impossible, and it's a it's a very special scene.
Speaker 1: Now I want I turned to some of the technology you introduce us to, and there's a lot of drones, which I'm going to come back to because I believe you are correct, and in fact, someone else who is an actual real spy told me a long time ago that in twenty five years, no one will live in the White House because the President of the United States can't be in a known location because of drug technology. And that shadow falls across your book. And it's true to you what Ukraine is doing because of necessity. They were outside of Putin's villa by about one hundred miles when they sunk a part of the Russian fleet this last week in the Sea of Azov. So it's really not that much of a stretch to threaten everyone and everything in the world, is it.
Speaker 8: No, I can't remember the exact phrase that I used, but no political leader is going to be safe. You won't be able to go out and sit in the back garden of Number ten down the street, because the drone could come over anytime, killed you.
Speaker 6: The south lawn of the White House. I mean that.
Speaker 8: I know that, you know President Obama like to go out out there and play play basketball with his friends.
Speaker 6: Forget about that.
Speaker 8: And and the anti drone kits are you know, only so effective. You know I didn't use a tether drone in in in my climactic finish here, but I mean it. You know you know about tether drones. They have a tiny little filament of five rock the cable. You could have several kilometers of it. You're not going to block a signal there, and that drone is going to find its target. It could it could be a drone that that drops an ordinance, or or it can be a kamikaze drone like I had in this book. We are the Pandora's box. Analogy is overused, but I shall use it again. We have opened Pandora's Box. And I don't think the world is ever going to be the same again. And there I think you're right. I think we're going to come to a place of the very near future where our political leaders at very senior government officials have to stay, their whereabouts have.
Speaker 6: To be unknown. They won't be able to move around, and they can't walk around in public.
Speaker 1: Did you note that this is not in Ransom because it's not set in the Middle East. Saronic is the new drone boat maker for America, and America sent three drones into Bondarabas last week to blow up a submarine into submarine pens. Did that? Did you catch that? Daniel Sylvia, you're on book Tour for Ransom. So I'm not sure you're catching everything that's going on in the war, but there's a lot that's going on in the war.
Speaker 6: There is, it's it's most of it is not really great.
Speaker 8: And this you know, how we got into this war in the first place, and it's so unprepared for the possibility that that the Iranians were going to expand the war. I don't understand how we made that mistake, but it's something that I encountered actually talking to Israeli politicians.
Speaker 6: And.
Speaker 8: You know, they had this this thought that they they've reached this conclusion that we could hit the Iranians really, really hard and that they wouldn't respond, And it's to me, it always seemed delusional. And I could tell you that that people in Mossad, who who you know, worked the Iran file, they did not think that. But I think that you know, elements of Lecud and the Israeli right, you know, somehow convinced themselves that the Iranians would not target that their golf neighbors and would not shut down international commerce.
Speaker 6: But that's exactly what happened.
Speaker 1: Yeah, are you surprised? We talked and seven but we haven't talked since the Iran War began, and I'm a little bit stunned that Hesbelah was able to For example, under the Crusader canceled castle three miles from the Israeli border, they were able to create a mile of granite tunnel and the Israelis and the American didn't know it was there. And they've got these tunnels. In Gaza, it's sand, you can dig through sand, but in Lebanon it's just granite. And they have been doing that and we haven't been able to see him from the sky and Israel and been able to penetrate Hasbilah to know that it's there. Are you surprised by that?
Speaker 8: No, No, this is a serious, serious organization.
Speaker 6: You know they've been around now.
Speaker 8: Since the eighty We sort of came to know them after the Berlin excuse me, that Beirut Barrack's bombing when they killed two hundred and forty.
Speaker 6: One of our marines.
Speaker 8: I think that that explosion that went off was the single largest explosion on planet Earth since World War Two. It was an extraordinary device that they assembled and delivered to the target. You know, this is a serious organization with incredible weaponry, and you know they should not be underestimated.
Speaker 6: But no, Look, it's probably easier for them to tunnel.
Speaker 8: You know, they have to worry about collapses the way they have, you know, all of the tunnels and guys that have to be reinforced all the time. They can go into into solid rock and hide their stuff.
Speaker 1: I want to go back to one more bit of technology, deep fakes. Uh. The week we're taping this, the vice president gave a three hour interview with Joe Rogan, which I have not watched it. I've never seen a Rogan interview, and I don't know that I can deal with a three hour interview by anyone of anyone. But he had a three interview.
Speaker 8: We are we not doing three hours now?
Speaker 6: No, are not doing a three hours.
Speaker 1: We do forty minutes. And that's you usually at the time. Normally you're making it at one program in July fourth, but logistics didn't work this year, and we'll just play it out. But the vice president goes on. So I see a bunch of clips online. I don't believe any of them, Danny, do you until I watched the original? That's like water stamped. I'm not going to believe it.
Speaker 8: Wow, So that's where you are already, you're questioning it's interesting.
Speaker 6: Yep, that's where we are. And these things are very.
Speaker 8: Very good, and it is only a matter of time before we have a situation where, I mean, you don't have to go and stage a fake propaganda movie anymore.
Speaker 6: You just sit at a computer and do it.
Speaker 8: And you know we're going to have Estonians killing Russians or something that some sort of provocation for the for the invasion that's going to happen in the near future, the drones, deep fakes. A.
Speaker 6: Life's getting interesting, isn't it.
Speaker 1: I'm glad that I'm going to retire into and a half years. Daniel Silva, I helpe. You never do because I want in my retirement. But I want to know, are you worried about it? I don't think AI can do Gabriel Lan novels. I don't think an AI machine can produce a ransom novel, do you No?
Speaker 6: No, I do not. But they can produce they.
Speaker 8: I mean a couple of writers have acknowledged that they're using AI to produce their books or portions of their books. It's not something that I'm it's too much fun. I don't know why you would use AI to write your book for you, that's it just seems ridiculous. But it's inevitable that that a fully AI novel, this is going to enter the bloodstream of American publishing at some point in the near future, just like we have, you know, full AI music, fake AI bands that are popping up on Spotify and Apple Music.
Speaker 6: It's just inevitable, I think.
Speaker 1: So I want to I have asked you this question probably every year since we've started doing this, which is probably twenty years now. We may have started seven or eight years into the series and devoted a full show to the first seven or eight books, and so I wanted to keep the question current. Alon ought to be a television series like Fauda. I learned yesterday from an Israeli blogger who interviewed me that Fouda is about ready to release and they are dealing with ten to seven in the first two episodes. But you don't have to watch them, and you can still watch the series, and they've made that known to the Israeli public. And I won't watch it because I wouldn't watch the film.
Speaker 4: Did you watch the film?
Speaker 1: By the way, did you watch the Israeli government approved forty five minute film of ten to seven. No, no, I'm not did not.
Speaker 8: I didn't know it existed. What is the forty five minute When.
Speaker 1: They want to BRIEFE got by me. Yeah, when they want to brief foreign journalists who doubt what happened on ten to seven, they have a forty five a minute version of what Hamas filmed that day. It's all Hamas footage.
Speaker 8: So it's not yes, okay, that that I know about. Okay, I do know about that. Yeah, And so I have never watched it.
Speaker 4: So is this ever?
Speaker 1: Is Alan ever coming to the little or the big screen? Ever?
Speaker 6: I don't know. You know, I had, I had what I thought was a perfect deal a few years ago.
Speaker 8: And you know, look, it's more common for something to be optioned and not made than it is for it to be optioned and made. So I've sold the book the series four five times. I think it just have never been able to get across the finish line. Right now, I retain the rights. And you know, there are conversations that are happening, you know, regularly, some serious, uh, some not so serious, and we shall see. I am at this stage more than comfortable to let him exist on the page. You know, there's no Lucas Davenport series either on television. A great character by my colleague John Stanford. You know, it is what it is, and I think that right now, in the current political situation, I'm not sure the time is right for a Gabriel Lout series.
Speaker 1: Well, the Slow Horses series has become such a magnificent hit that everybody waits, and the Lioness has come out and fouta I mentioned. I just think it's such a natural. Let me close this way. You just mentioned another great thriller writer. You're the you. I think you hold the title right now. You're like, I'll leave. Someone's going to knock you out someday, but not yet. And Ransom will sell more than any other thriller this summer, so no one's going to knock up for at least in a year. Do you ever gather at a place like Wilton's, with the way the art world gathers at Wilton do the thriller writers at the top of the game ever gathered together just to relax?
Speaker 6: Uh?
Speaker 8: You know, we bumped into each other now and again. I had a wonderful evening. I guess it's my second night of tour. My friend Amore Tolls interviewed me at the strands, So there's two writers who got together into Wilton's like setting and talked about our work. It's just there were three hundred people watching us do it. So you know our schedules, you know, don't don't really allow it. Everyone's on deadline, I tell you all. And frankly, all of my writer friends are of the non fiction variety. The aforementioned Peter Baker, Bob Woodward is a dear friend, you know. Shane Harris is a dear friend. All of my friends are what I like to describe as real writers. You know, I'm the guy who just making the stuff up.
Speaker 1: You're just making a real journalists happy because it's something in the summer. Daniel Silva, there's a book tour underway. I appreciate the time in the middle of it. It's over at danielsilvabooks dot com. You can find out where Daniel is going to be if you want to go and get a copy of Ransom. Sign congratulations on another number one New York Times bestseller and keep the streak going for as long as I'm alive. I want to keep reading this in the summertime. Daniel, my best to your wonderful wife and safety and success on your tour. Thank you for joining me today.
Speaker 6: Thank you so much.
Speaker 1: Thank you, Bet