Speaker 1: Welcome to Timeless Wisdom with Dennis Prager. Here thousands of hours of Dennis's lectures courses in classic radio programs. Had to purchase Dennis Prager's Rational Bibles. Go to Dennisprager dot com.
Speaker 2: The word.
Speaker 3: Come on and way and the Lord jem In, the word God, God, the word.
Speaker 4: I'm happy to John with you today.
Speaker 5: And what will go down in history as the greatest demonstration folk freedom in the history of Homni. So, even though we face the difficulties of to day and tomorrow, I still have a dream. It is a dream deeply rooted in the American dream. I have a dream that one day this nation will rise up, live out the true meaning of its creed.
Speaker 3: We hold these choos to be self.
Speaker 4: Evident, that all men are created. A dream that one day, on the Red Hills for Jordan, Suns of farmer slaves and.
Speaker 5: The Suns are farmer playbo, we may be.
Speaker 3: Able to sit.
Speaker 5: Down together at the table of brotherhood. I have a dream my our little.
Speaker 3: Children, one of the America wed They will.
Speaker 4: Not be judged by the color of that skin, but by.
Speaker 3: The content of that character.
Speaker 6: I have a dream.
Speaker 7: Today's welcome to the Dennis Prager Show, and this is Martin Luther King Day. As you know, it is my policy to honor the national holidays, otherwise they shouldn't be a national holiday. I affirm that this ought to be a national holiday. I believe, I have believed my whole life that Martin Luther King Junior, among other things, prevented racial violence in this country. For that alone, he has a very special place in heaven, and I don't think that there is a a way to.
Speaker 3: Deny that.
Speaker 7: And he was an orator of the first order. I mean truly one of the great orators. I wish we had recordings of all the great orders in history and certainly in American history. But obviously recording is a relatively brand new mechanical device. But happily we have that speech and so many others. You read them, they last, that's the greatness of them. They last. And it's very interesting, though not always emphasized, how rooted he was in his Americanism and in his Christianity. It's now everybody's doctor King, doctor King, doctor King, doctor King, right, It's only is doctor King. Believe me, he didn't think of himself as doctor King. He thought of himself as Reverend King. It's a fact. It's a fascinating switch because he was not known as Doctor King at the time, because the American public had not yet been taken over by the secular left that finds religion useless at best and dangerous at worst. And he was completely rooted in his Christianity, so many of his speeches were God soaked and Christianity soaked. But we have truly photoshopped history here with Doctor King. I know there is a great joke that occurred that was told in Jewish life. There was a time until again the same thing happened where rabbis were known as rabbis, just as Reverend King was known as Reverend kings Is, Rabbi so and so, Rabbi so and so, Rabbi so and so. Then within a generation it was doctor so and so, Rabbi, doctor so and so rabbi, and sometimes just doctor so and so. And there was a joke told when the rabbis became doctors, the Jews got sick, A great great line when rabbis became Jews got sick. When Martin Luther King, when the Reverend became a doctor, America got sick. I respect completely people who've gotten doctorates. There is a tremendous amount of work involved in getting any doctorate. I know that, I acknowledge it, and I respect it. But in comparison to the good done by rabbis, priests and ministers versus PhDs, excuse me, there's no comparison. The founder of the institute that I came out to California in nineteen seventy six, in my twenties to direct, he was fifty years.
Speaker 3: Older than I.
Speaker 7: I was twenty six, he was seventy six. Actually I was twenty four when I came out first. He was seventy four, and he had a thick Russian accent. He was a Russian Jewish immigrant, and he would say regularly in his speeches, you know, it is very possible to be a PhD. And the sob it was, and he had and he was doctor Barney, I mean so and so forgive me for referring to him as the Reverend King. I don't really give a whod if he got a PhD.
Speaker 3: I'm sure, I'm sure there.
Speaker 7: Was a sweet day for him, but it's not what animated him. He did not do what he did because of his PhD. He did what he did because he was a reverend. This is all lost, all lost in the way things are taught today and the emphasis on this whole notion of doctor. Anyway, A good day to you. I marvel on a day like this, on a totally separate issue, I marvel at the lack of traffic on the freeways as we call them in southern California and northern California for that matter. On the freeway today. We just zoomed, all of us who were on the roads just zoomed. It was great, and of course it could only mean one thing. The number of government workers is astonishing, right, Everybody else is working. The restaurants are open, doctors are seeing patients, people are having business meetings. It's banks, I mean, it's not bankers, Okay. The reason for the lack of traffic is not bankers and bank tellers. It's government workers and not police, and not and not firemen. Their their at work as always, so we're talking about it just gives you an idea of the vastness of the numbers of people who work for the government, and that this that is the desire of the Democrats to increase that number, and it has been It's The only thing that's been increased, the only employment that's been increased under Barack Obama has been federal workers. It's unbelievable to have increased the number during this recession. It's unbelievable to increase the number without a recession. But remember something, it's a bought vote. Please understand that it is as close to handing people cash for voting for a party as you can get. Vote for our party. We will give you money and give you a federal or state or municipal job.
Speaker 3: That's it.
Speaker 7: So the Democrats have not only no, they have no philosophical and they have no self issue incentive to to decrease the number of government employees.
Speaker 3: None.
Speaker 7: It only hurts them. They're not interested in prosperity. They're interested in equality. So you could say, well, but everybody knows that the more people employed in the private sector, the better it is for the economy.
Speaker 3: But it's irrelevant.
Speaker 7: It's like telling somebody on the equator how to shovels. Know they're not in interested. The Left is as interested in prosperity as people at the equator are in snowshovels. There's one for you, and I mean it literally. The Left has never been interested in prosperity, nor has it ever brought it about. The left is interested in material equality. I've said this often, I will say it often because it applies regularly. So the freeways are empty today, relatively so because of all.
Speaker 3: The government workers. You think we need them all.
Speaker 7: And I hate to say this because I don't want anybody listening or even not listening, to lose a job. It bothers me terribly. So we're in a terrible quagmire here of constant hiring, and then our hearts break at anybody being let go. But at some point, my friends, you just we cannot sustain this number. One A Praguer seven seven six The Dennis Praguer Show.
Speaker 1: This episode of Timeless Wisdom will continue right after this. Now back to more of Dennis Prager's timeless wisdom.
Speaker 7: Hi, everybody, Dennis Prager. I was marveling after speaking about Martin Luther King Day, and I will continue because I take national holiday seriously.
Speaker 3: As you know, I was.
Speaker 7: Talking about the relative lack of traffic, which can only mean only mean one thing. The number of government workers is quite quite high. If nothing else, at least allow the attrition rate to reduce the numbers. Just don't rehire as people leave jobs. But you see, it's all a it's a vicious cycle because the less money you allow the private sector, the less hiring will take place in the private sector. If taxes weren't as high as they are, I would be hiring people. Then I don't even run a business. But are there always things that I would love to do. But it's it's confiscatory between California and the state and all the other taxes. We are taxed, and many are. Anybody over two hundred thousand dollars a person is tax at a fifty percent rate.
Speaker 3: Fifty it's really more than fifty.
Speaker 7: And there's going to be a proposition put up by the governor of California to cotemporarily. I always got to kick out of that. A temporary tax rate is like it's like partial pregnancy. It doesn't exist. But the rhetoric of the Democrats is such that to say this is to be selfish, Well, you're not paying your fair share. It becomes the answer what so it was the great question is what is one's fair share? I had one of the most powerful liberals in America, Henry Waxman, I have known personally for decades, and I had him on the show and I asked him that question. Do you have the Do you have that in the Sean? Do you have that in our reservoir of.
Speaker 3: Dialogues?
Speaker 7: When I asked the Congressman Waxman, how much taxes are enough? And it was an important question and the answer is revealing of thought on the left. Would you give a percentage of income that would be paid an income text that you think would begin to shatter people's incentives to work hard.
Speaker 3: I haven't reflected on that. I wouldn't want to just pick a number.
Speaker 7: Okay, And Krugman is the same thing. In the New York Times, there's never a number. If they tell what is the number? What is the amount that you feel is fair? And remember it is entirely based on what the left feels is fair. It's a completely subjective concept. And the problem is though that their fairness, like Shariah, is imposed on others. Leftism is a very, very compulsory religion, as you will see when my book Still the Best Hope comes out at the end of April. Because I have this vast section on the left, analyzing, explaining if we think it that fifty seven percent of your income is fair, it's fair.
Speaker 3: Seventy percent is fair, then it's fair. And if you don't pay it, we arrest you. That's it. That is the way it is. Now. Let me ask you if you think that do you think be fair? Be leaven?
Speaker 7: Those of you who are liberal and left on these issues, I want you to think for a moment, just forget fairness, forget all other subjects.
Speaker 3: Just one.
Speaker 7: I'll ask a narrow focused question, narrowly focused question. If Americans could keep instead of fifty percent of their money, they could keep let us say, seventy five percent of their money. Do you think that that would be an engine of economic growth? That's all I want. We can then talk about fairness. But before fairness, I just just if we care about economic growth. Okay, we're let's say we're that narrowly focused. Do you think there will be more or fewer jobs if Americans could keep seventy five percent of their income? What do you think Americans do with income that doesn't go to necessities?
Speaker 3: What do you think they do with it? Keep it in a mattress? All right?
Speaker 4: One?
Speaker 7: A Praguer seven seven six and let's see here our Philadelphia call or hung up and I want here.
Speaker 3: He had a thought on this. Maybe you could get back in.
Speaker 7: In the meantime, let's go to Dallas and one hello on Dennis Prager.
Speaker 2: Hi, Hey Dennis, Dennis, how are.
Speaker 3: You doing great? Thanks?
Speaker 2: I remember watching you back on Crossfire when you were feeling for Buchanan. Really I did, Yeah, didn't you. Didn't you come across one time?
Speaker 7: No, I had a I had a TV show in the nineties. Maybe that's what you're referring to. Yeah, but it was on so late. I don't blame you for mixing me up.
Speaker 2: Hey, you made a comment while ago that the federal employment roles have been increased. Yes, I went to a job there here in Dallas and the I R S was there, and I was applying to be a pair of you know, for paralygical position, and they told me that there is a federal hiring freeze because simply that Reid and the others have failed to pass a budget.
Speaker 3: Well, they're right about read, but they're not.
Speaker 7: I mean, from what I know, the I R S was adding tens of thousands of agents.
Speaker 2: Well, have you talked to the Department itself.
Speaker 3: No, no, but that's what I'm going to look into that. Well, anyway, why we're sink? Why were they in a job fair if they had no jobs to offer?
Speaker 2: That's why I asked them, well, what are you doing here? Well, just like any employer when the economy for you know, uh burns up toward you know.
Speaker 3: Income, we'll keep your name.
Speaker 2: It was that they probably want an inventory a prospect. I see, okay, because they were where I go, they're either taking applications of resume, but they're not hiring.
Speaker 3: So right now, so you still haven't gotten a job right now?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 3: Well, what's your line of work? One?
Speaker 2: Well, I was a workers comp specialist for Tenant Health Corporation. Uh huh, I was. I was a collector. I was collecting workers comp insurance pendiments from workers comp carriers and also monitoring case status from attorneys who represented patients whose employers had no insurance.
Speaker 7: Well, it's certainly a specialized knowledge. I really wish you well won It's it breaks my heart because I really believe there's an answer to the problem of the wands in our society, and it is a problem. It is a tragedy for both sexes to lose a job, obviously, but each sex reacts differently as a general rule, to different things in life.
Speaker 3: And a man is more his self.
Speaker 7: Image and his sense of self is shaped by profession more than most women's lives are. It's not good or bad. It's just either true or false. And I believe it's true. So I'm truly sorry, and I think we have solutions. We who are called conservatives. Back in a moment. I'm Dennis Prager.
Speaker 1: This episode of timeless Wisdom will continue right after this. Now back to more of Dennis Prager's timeless wisdo.
Speaker 7: Hi, everybody, Dennis Prager here on this Martin Luther King Day Show. Got some interesting calls. One eight Praguer seven seven six is the number, and let's.
Speaker 3: Go to Paul and Philadelphia. Hi, Paul, Dennis Prager.
Speaker 6: Hi, it's an honor to talk to you. I really am inspired by a lot of what you say. But I think I do have something important to say. Two things. One, I'm a mailman and most of my other fellow workers, they they they want. They listen to the part of workers and say I'll take the money. Democrats are better for them. Postal, Yes, but you're selling your soul and the soul of the future generations about the social will issues. In other words, yeah, I'll be like a dog jumping for my family money selfishly and be being controlled, so you don't you know, you know, take game beverage and marshal birth abortion. But also I'm relating it to another thing. I'm a Catholic and I read a lot and like, for example, Archbishop Shappuvert a book called Render and the Caesar is how there's no typratenduture state. But I'm making a point that to be Catholic, really zero people should be voting Democrat, not because the popes and not because I say, but because you deeply understand you're not a child. You understand why that there's all issues are not equal.
Speaker 3: So yeah, I'll tell you the truth, Paul.
Speaker 7: It's a real uh powerful point you're making, and it's always been a question to me.
Speaker 3: So many Union.
Speaker 7: Members have conservative and traditional values on social and other issues and then vote Democrat for the reasons that you and I are saying, because they will give us a better pension plan.
Speaker 3: And so if it's it's.
Speaker 7: It's terrible, terrible thing. I can't believe that they're happy when they pull the lever, unless they have just dulled their conscience on this matter. I mean, if you are a leftist and you're a Union member, then of course you vote Democrat. If you're a leftist, you should vote Democrat. But if you're not a leftist, you shouldn't. You don't have to be a right winger to vote conservative. You just have to be a non leftist to vote Republican. The it's so interesting because it's the media run by folks on the left that the Republicans are described as having been taken over by the far right. What does it mean to be far right? I mean to analyze the positions for a moment. What far right means lower taxes and smaller government is now far right? That's far right? What's moderate right? It's so dishonest. It's just a dishonest thing. But far left is not a Supreme Court telling a New York school that school kids can't say God bless our teachers and our parents. Right, that's not far left, that's not extreme. There's no far left. Remember that, there's no far left. There's no secular extremists. There's only religious extremists. The whole vocabulary is shaped by the left, so it's totally understandable that people think that way. I pray that my book helps burst that bubble. I really do. Let's go to Minneapolis and Betsy, Hello, Betsy. What's the temperature, Betsy?
Speaker 8: Oh boy, it's about forty oh really forty to not too bad.
Speaker 3: I thought it was scheduled to go to zero.
Speaker 8: Well, it's been bouncing around and there's no snow, and I'm worried about my plants. But yes, it's not too cold today. So you want to hear my story.
Speaker 7: That's the reason I took your call. I kind have figured out the temperature without you.
Speaker 8: Okay. Well, I'm a newly hired volunteer as a teacher's helper in a program for adult immigrants who want to learn to read English. And this program is at a local public high school, and last week we had a unit on Martin Luther King and the students read a short story which included an excerpt the most famous part of course from the Dream Speech, and then followed up with a discussion. And in the discussion, Martin Luther King was presented as a speaker as a watch as a speaker, and someone asked, well, what kind of speaker? And one point one student pointed out to the reading and said, oh, he was a doctor, And so I finally said, yes, he was a doctor, a doctor of divinity, a Christian minister. And the woman who asked the question, who is from China? She went, oh, Then no more comments were made and we moved on.
Speaker 3: Wow, this is a great story. I want to comment on it.
Speaker 1: This episode of Timeless Wisdom will continue right after this. Now back to more of Dennis Preger's Timeless Wisdom.
Speaker 3: Hi, everybody, Dennis Preger here.
Speaker 7: I had made the point at the beginning of the show and honoring the Reverend Martin Luther King Junior, that he's always called doctor King. He was never called doctor King, well, not nearly as much, let's put it that way. Almost never he was called the Reverend, the Reverend King. During his time, he'd be shocked to be to know that people didn't even know he's a reverend today. You think he got his values from his doctorate or from his ordination. Why don't we give a TikTok here, because it's going to take people a lot of time think that through.
Speaker 3: You got it, that's correct.
Speaker 7: So Betsy teaches let's get this straight here, Betsy in Minnesota.
Speaker 3: You you teach immigrants? Is that it?
Speaker 8: Well, I'm not a teacher. I am a volunteer who assists the teacher.
Speaker 3: Okay, fine, so to do it.
Speaker 7: So they were teaching about Martin Luther king to to would be immigrants to the United States.
Speaker 8: To adult immigrants, adult immigrants exactly. Okay, through a local public high school.
Speaker 3: All right, that's fine.
Speaker 7: It's an added detail that was not critical, but I thank you for it. Now let me I just want to review here. He was discreted. My favorite part of your story was when one student asked what did he do? And it was that he was a speaker.
Speaker 8: Right, and that's what's written in here, and I'm trying to remember who.
Speaker 9: But he was.
Speaker 8: Presented as a yes, it's okay, what kind of speaker, a good speaker? And then this book, well she looked at the reading and she said, well it says here he.
Speaker 7: Was a doctor.
Speaker 3: There you go, that's it. They none of them knew that. That's exactly.
Speaker 7: The man has been de christianized and de religionized and de goodized.
Speaker 3: This is the secular left photo shopping of history. That's what it is.
Speaker 7: It's just like the photo shopping of history with God totally. It's fascinating. God is removed from the textbooks. Kids don't understand the utterly religious origins of the United States. Again, my forthcoming book will make it so clear. Including Franklin and Jefferson, nonsense about their being deist, it's all. It's all fabricated history written by the secular left. In the last generation. It was found by God centered people, including Jefferson and Franklin, to be a God centered country that you won't learn from textbooks. But starting this year, by law in California, the biggest purchaser of textbooks, you must must or you are fine you will your textbook will not be bought by California schools if there is not a section on the contributions of the transgendered and bi sexuals to California and American history. See it's done in increments, so you don't realize what the left does to truth. God is out and the transgendered are in. I have nothing against the transgender. I just want to make the point that God has played a bigger role in American history than the transgendered. I know that that is a risky statement, and that the very articulation of it can can set legal wheels and motion if it's said outside of radio. As I always have far more freedom of speech inside my studio than the moment I step outside my studio. I'm allowed to say anything I want on air, but off air. If I said that to a coworker, God has played a bigger role in American history than the transgendered there's I'm sure I would be brought up to personnel on some charges of a hostile work environment for Sean, for example, not that Shawn is transgender, just he is very sensitive on their behalf. And it's the law, and and and he's he's he's a law, law centered man. What my book is now listed on Amazon. I'm going to pre order it probably get it fast from Amazon then my publisher. April twenty What April twenty fourth? That's bloody exciting? How much is it?
Speaker 8: So?
Speaker 3: What is it like?
Speaker 7: List for one hundred and six and you get it for seventeen? What does it list for twenty six ninety nine?
Speaker 3: Who?
Speaker 7: I got the chills. They don't have a picture, do they? Of course not? They cover isn't even designed yet. Oh, David's Amazon. They'll design their own cover and then I'll tell my publisher looks good.
Speaker 3: Take Amazon's cover. You'll save buddy.
Speaker 7: The doctorization of Martin Luther King is so it's so representative of what has happened. Michael, one of our many fourteen year old listeners in Ohio City, Ohio.
Speaker 10: Mister Preger, are you there?
Speaker 7: I am here one minute? Just tell me something I'm not familiar with. Ohio city.
Speaker 10: I said, Iowa City, Iowa.
Speaker 7: You're in Iowa City, Iowa. And our man wrote Ohio City, Ohio.
Speaker 3: One minute. He will now be disciplined.
Speaker 5: Okay, are.
Speaker 3: Going to learn to be more professional? What you're going to Okay, Michael, go ahead.
Speaker 10: I'm pleasure to talk to you, mister pank you first time caller is even long time listener.
Speaker 3: Thank you.
Speaker 10: So as as the quickest side, I suggested you try to interview some of the cancers the field strengths, especially Romney Santorum. But I'm just going to get to my comments. I saw Romney or I went to a Romney rally with my parents, and he gave a great speech about American values and uh freedom and earning your own stuff, and my dad said it was a speech you can imagine Reagan giving. And I know you have worries about Romney and I do too, But you have a Pregger Niversity video about how actions matter non intentions. And Romney could be a liar, but a live who knows exactly what to say about conservative principles in the last and a liar who knows or are a liar.
Speaker 3: If you said, oh, no, he's never.
Speaker 10: He's not a liar, I said he could be a liar. We don't know.
Speaker 7: Oh I see, No, no he isn't. And I am totally with you, Michael. I told you last week I went I went through a metamorphosis. I'm very open with my listeners. I had I had problems with with Mitt Romney for five years, but now I am. I read what he says, I listened to what he says. I believe he means it. I believe he has grown and what he says is often now magnificent.
Speaker 3: Thank you, Michael.
Speaker 7: Hello, everybody, you're listening to the Tennis Prager Show and you are invited to visit Prague University. Make that please a new Year's resolution. As you heard that fourteen year old that makes me feel good. It's five minute courses. You have no idea how many days weeks are on a five minute course. It's it's easier to do an hour course than it is to do a five minute course. Prager University dot com. Dennis in Doylestown, Pennsylvania. Is that d as in Doyle's or b is in Boyles?
Speaker 9: He is in Doyle as in Dog Gotcha? Okay?
Speaker 2: Or in Dennis's?
Speaker 3: How's that he isn't Dennis? I like that?
Speaker 2: Happy to know you, Dennis, Thank you.
Speaker 9: I wanted to make well quick point. Listen tew your screen of the check that message that goes.
Speaker 2: On while you're on hold.
Speaker 9: It was a little vulgar. I don't know what happened, but it's a hot thing.
Speaker 2: Okay, uh huh yeah.
Speaker 7: Uh oh oh oh you're you're I understand what it was. A we were my engineer was playing for me a clip from someone who uses vulgar language on the on on a on a private radio, uh broadcast. So you're the only one who ever heard it. So anyway, thank you, you're right go ahead.
Speaker 9: I was taken back a little guy or statement. I have nothing against transgenders, and I know your faith, so I think you'd have something against that behavior.
Speaker 7: There are two issues here with transgender. One is the person who changes sex, which I always call transsexual. With that person, I have no issue. I do have an issue, yes, and I've said it probably a hundred times. I have a very real issue with a man, for example, who wears a dress in public.
Speaker 3: I absolutely do. And I remember I talked about what was a US air the man who went on on a bra and panties and US air let him fly.
Speaker 7: I thought it was just part of the devolution of our culture. So I do I have. I don't like the public flaunting of sexual norms. Privately, it is your business. And a transsexual that is somebody who is who is certain that he is in a she body and belongs in a he body, or she is in a she body and belongs in a he body. I have only sympathy for these people for the pain that they must go through to truly be certain you're in the wrong body. But society has a right to to ask that while you are in that body, you appear accordingly. But there was no concept like that today. It is if I want to do it, that's it. Society can go to hell. I am all that matters and sexual matters in financial matters, of course, you have no rights or more, far fewer back.
Speaker 1: In a moment, this has been timeless wisdom with Dennis Prager. Visit Dennisprager dot com for thousands of hours of Dennis's lectures, courses in classic radio programs, and to purchase Dennis Prager's Rational Bibles.