Speaker 1: Life Audio. Hello, Welcome to the Praying Christian Woman podcast. I am Alana here with Jamie.
Speaker 2: How are you doing great? How about you good?
Speaker 1: I am so excited we get to keep on talking about Bible memorization. And I don't feel like people need to go back and you must listen to part one before we go here. But we've just been chatting about the benefits of Bible memorization, tips and tricks for memorization, some of my testimony that hopefully I want to share some more about that with you, about Bible memory and continuing to have that talk. So what's been in your mind since we last talked, which is only a couple days ago when we recorded the first part.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I've just been thinking a lot about how little I've been committing scripture to memory, and so as I've been trying to memorize this verse that we talked about we're going to memorize the verse, my brain isn't It doesn't work the same, I think because I haven't been memorizing scripture. My brain is different, and so I can feel the gears start to gradually start, you know, moving, and I know and I can tell that the more I work on it, the more it's going to help. So this scripture memory is going to help not only with memorizing scripture, which is going to be good, but probably with my brain in general and just like you know, elasticity and neuroplasticity and all of that stuff. But yeah, I've been thinking back to the days when I began memorizing scripture, which was very cool because it was kind of a time in my life where I sort of rededicated my life to Christ, when I started praying in ways where I saw God starting to move like I never had before because and I was looking at prayer in a different way. It was it was just it's kind of stoked the flames of my faith a little bit to remember back to that time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, one thing that I did because you and I in the last episode decided that we would both choose a passage to memorize and that would be our worst of the day. And like I said, we've only had two days, so either of us probably have a full passage memorize, but well, we'll do what we can. But what I did is, while I was working on it, I had a post it. You know how much I love my post it, and I would jot down all of the blocks that popped into my head while I was doing it, and one of them was kind of like what you said, Like if it's not as easy as it was when I was twenty, why bother right? And it's just this idea of when you look at it in a certain way, and I can't explain how nonsensical was, Like what in the world does anything about when you were twenty have to do with anything?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 1: Like mo cares that that has no bearing on today. So it might be like saying, you know, when I wrote my first few books, I could write six thousand words a day, and I can't write six thousand words a day anymore, so I'm not gonna write like that's not really like it's a dumb metric. It means nothing. The fact that I'm not writing six thousand words a day certainly doesn't mean I can't write two thousand words a day. And just because I can write two thousand words a day today doesn't mean that if I'm eighty and can only write two hundred words a day that I still won't like writing, you know what I mean? Like, they're just it's so arbitrary, it's to me, it sounds like it makes sense, but when you look at it, it's like saying, well, I can't go be the bridesmaid in your wedding even though we're best friends and no Jamie's not getting remarried or anything. Jamie and our husband are still happily together and happily married. I'm just trying to pull out like the dumbest hypothetical I can, like, sorry, I can't be your bridesmaid because when I was twelve, I went to a junior high dance and wore red shoes right like to me, And it would be like as if in my brain that made perfect sense to me. That's what it sounds like by saying well, since it was easier to memorize when I was this age, who cares, you know?
Speaker 2: Yeah, No, totally agreed.
Speaker 3: We're different people and we have different things in our lives, and thank God for our brains that adapt to our place in life, Like our needs for our brains are very different from when we were twenty and had no, like, let's face it, super responsibilities other than making it to class and memorizing scripture. I mean, that's maybe simplifying it too much, because schools demandle it.
Speaker 2: But it is.
Speaker 3: But yeah, I mean there was studying, but our minds were primed to memorize things we were studying. We had just come out of high school, we're in college, you know. So anyway, all of that to say, thank you God, that's what where I'm going to land. I'm going to take what you said totally resonate with it and say, I'm going to thank God for the ways that He's transformed my brain to deal with the things that I'm dealing with on a day to day basis now. And I'm also going to thank him that I have a brain that is able to get back into scripture memory and that I can work at it and it can probably become easier as I go.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, exactly. Another big block that came up for me. I think this might be one of my biggest blocks that I encountered was because I've memorized in the past. I know how much work it takes to keep what you've memorized in your brain. Right, So my block is, well, I'm memorizing this now, but in two weeks I'm not going to have it memorized. And so what I have had to combat that block with is. It's not about keeping it memorized for the rest of my life. It's about absorbing it in the act of memorizing it, almost like in fifty first States, Right, it's like I might forget who you are every single day, so then I get the joy and the privilege of falling in love with you every single day, right, as opposed to I'm not going to remember you tomorrow, so why should I even go on a date with you today?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 1: You can, you can flip it, and I'm like, well, it's not about am I going to know this in a year, It's about right now. The act of slowing down and memorizing this passage has allowed it to absorb in my spirit in a way that nothing else does. So that in itself is the spiritual discipline. And if I happen to remember it two weeks from now, that's the almost the bonus. And then I also absolutely recognize that if this verse, I'm going to say that I am eighty percent comfortable in my memory of this verse, and so another block might be, you know, unless I know it one hundred percent and can guarantee that in six months i'll know it one hundred percent, then it wasn't worth the time spent doing it. I'm choosing to trust that when the recall is going to be required, that the Lord will give it to me. I have a friend who runs marathons, and basically what she told me once was, if you can run about fifteenish miles on your own, then you can almost definitely run a marathon. So it's not like you go from fifteen and then you work sixteen, then you go from sixteen, then you go to seventeen. It's almost like, if you get to a certain point, then by the time you get into marathon mode where there's adrenaline and there's positive peer pressure and motivation, like you don't muster up when you're running solo, you're going to be able to do it. And I kind of think of it like that. Like so again, if we want to go really, really dramatic, I'm sitting in the jail cell and have no Bible, I probably can trust that if I needed this exact passage that I've been working on and right now I have eighty percent accurate, that either eighty percent accurate is going to be good enough for me in that moment, or God's going to give it to me with better accuracy, right, So it's I have it good enough, and good enough can be good enough. Yeah.
Speaker 3: I mean I think about it as putting scripture in the well of your brain so that the Holy Spirit can bring it to mind if you absolutely need it. It's there, your unconscious subconscious mind retains it, even if your short term memory might discard it in favor of something more vital to survival at the given moments. But it's there and the Holy Spirit can take it and bring it to the forefront. I mean, realistically, I guess the Holy Spirit could just plant it in there in the first place. But I do believe that God wants us to partner with him in some way. So that's that's how I look at it as. Even if it's not one hundred percent the act of going through the process of getting it so that it's memorized, it's going to be there for the Holy Spirit to more easily bring it to your mind when you really really need it.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So I'm choosing to go into this phase of scripture memorization with even if I don't even remember a single word tomorrow, what I'm doing today is still worth it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there you go.
Speaker 1: So with that, what have you chosen to start memorizing?
Speaker 2: So I'm going to tell you my process.
Speaker 3: So I wanted to memorize the passage where Steven kind of gives like this gospel recap it's long though, it's so long long, and so I'm going to begin at some point. But at some point in my looking into like passages that kind of do like the Gospel in a nutshell. Yeah, one passage came through that really isn't what I was looking for, but it has a story. So this is Matthew twenty six, sixty three and sixty four. I haven't memorized all of it. But when our oldest son was like maybe in middle school, maybe twelve thirteen and thirteen fourteen, he was kind of wrestling with I believe there's a God.
Speaker 2: I know the stories of the Bible.
Speaker 3: I know about Jesus, and I want to believe in Jesus, but I have a kernel of doubt that Christianity is the true religion. And I just he's always been kind of analytical, and I was like, well, you know what, just ask God to help you. Just tell him that and see what happens. And so at one point in that sort of general timeframe. I came into the room in the morning to wake him up, and he said as soon as he woke up, he didn't say a word. He was just like, Mom, get my bible, get or get a Bible and look up Matthew twenty six sixty four. I think this is the passage, because I just remember that when he said sixty four, I was thinking, I don't know if it goes that high, you know, I must don't. And I was thinking, what are you doing God, Like this is scary, And I got kind of panicky, because of course we want to make it, you know. And so anyway, if this is in fact the verse, which I think it is, I opened up the Bible and sure enough it was there. And we hadn't talked about this particular thing in a long time, like this in a while, and so I just read it and I said, you have said so, Jesus replied, but I say to all of you, from now on you will see the Son of Man sitting at the right hand of the Mighty One and coming on the clouds of heaven. And I said, okay. And He's like, WHOA, Like that's that's really cool. I said, well, why and he said, well, last night I did what you said.
Speaker 2: I prayed and I asked God.
Speaker 3: I told him I didn't know, and I said, can you just give me a sign that Jesus is real and that he's really your son and that Christianity is actually true? And he said, I woke up And so he didn't have the scripture in mind. He had the numbers like Matthew twenty six sixty four, and so to him, that was God's answer. It was, okay, Jesus is the son of Man. He sits at the right hand of God and he's real, you know, And so that is he's kind of stood on that as he's had doubts and things as something where he felt God really spoke to him. So anyway, this popped up in my and so I was like, well, I might as.
Speaker 2: Well memorize this one.
Speaker 1: So yeah, great, do you want to try it or do you Okay? I haven't. We want everyone to know. Jamie and I committed to this, but we thought that we were going to record in a week and we're recording two days later.
Speaker 3: I know, and I just started memorizing it today. But I can do I think verse sixty three, so verse sixty threas starts out, but Jesus remained silent, which doesn't really go along with the rest of it. But so the rest of it is okay, the High Priest said to him, I charge you under oath by the Living God. Tell us, if you are the Messiah, the Son of God. You have said it was, you have said it is so, Jesus replied, You have said so, Jesus replied, So that's as far as I got. Sorry, it's not very kind of anti climactic, that is. And then he goes on to actually say, but I say, from now on, but I haven't gotten to that part yet, how about you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I also started today because, like I said, we committed for a week, and to be fair, I had a couple of those.
Speaker 3: Blocks to have to get over, which is in itself informative. So that's a good thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, it was really useful to have that post it and just john him down because I knew that you and I were going to be talking about scripture memories. I'm like, okay, here's all the blocks that had come up. Let me see if there were any more on my posts that I forgot to mention for me accuracy was a big one. It was like, if I practice it just to my but I say a word wrong, I'm not going to know, and then I'm just going to be reinforcing the wrong word.
Speaker 3: I had that too, because I kept looking back instead of trying to memorize it myself. I kept looking back at the thing because I didn't trust myself and I didn't want to say it wrong because I didn't want my brain to like imprint that yeah ession.
Speaker 1: And I think that just again becomes where good enough is good enough, Like you say it is so, or you say that it is so, they mean the same thing, and so it doesn't matter like which you use. You know, the Lord is my shepherd. I shall not want versus the Lord is my shepherd. I shall not be in one like, hey, that one's just which shepherd translation you've decided to go through, But b it means the same thing, so it doesn't really matter. So yeah, I have learned to accept the fact that like, yeah, percent, that's a bee getting a B and Bible memory is going to be good, Like I'm okay with my eighty percent, and if feeling like I need to get one hundred percent is actually what's keeping me from doing it at all? That I would way rather be a B student and get eighty percent of a big chunk of scripture memorized and never opening up my Bible because I'm afraid I'm not going to get a hundred.
Speaker 3: Well, and you have to think, if you're in that prison cell with no Internet and no Bible, will you get the point across missing a couple of words. And I am not in any way saying that we should paraphrase scripture, but the bottom line is if you get the idea of what it's saying, then that is, you know, at some point, it's absolutely better than not having access to it at all.
Speaker 1: Absolutely right. Like memorizing the Beatitudes, for example, it's more important to know that God has called the Peacemaker's blessed than to know the exact threeason why, because like when you read the Beatitudes, there's like, you know, eight or ten different virtues and then eight or ten different reasons why they're blessed. But they're all fairly enterchangedabolans, you know. Not that again, not that we want to mistreat scripture, but it's not a sin for me to say, blessed are the peacemakers for theirs is the kingdom of heaven if like if actually the Kingdom of Heaven belongs to the meek, and I, you know, and I mess them up right, like I think God is gonna give me some grace there. And all right, so I had chosen to go to Romans eight, and I'm gonna be starting at twenty eight, and I am I've just decided I found one of my really old, like old school nibs, and I'm just gonna stick with that. So all right, let me get myself started. I'm to where like I need to look at it to get myself started. It's almost like the training meals you know what I mean, and then I can and then they like, okay. And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love Him, who have been called according to his purpose. For those he fore knew, he also called to be conformed to the likeness of his son, and those he fore knew he also called. I got some of those wrong, okay. If he foreknew them, he predestined them. And then for those God for knew he also called. Those he called he also justified. And as he justified, he also glorified, And that's kind of what I mean. It's like they all sort of mean the same thing. So if I like I switched up in my brain the order between being called and predestined, is God going to be mad at me for that? No? Am I going to sacrifice somebody's eternal soul if I am witnessing to someone in a jail cell where there's no Bible and I say called before predestined, when really it was predestined before called no. Right, So and that's a pretty big step for me to learn to be okay with Okay. Yeah, So that's that's kind of been my journey. So now that we've done our versus the day, I guess it's time to open up in a worder.
Speaker 3: All right, God, we just thank you for your word, and we just thank you for the ability to let go of perfectionism for the sake of just loving your word and being open and excited about committing it to memory. And we just pray that today we would just be able to appreciate even more the gift of scripture.
Speaker 2: And for those of us that have a hard time.
Speaker 3: Getting back into memorizing things, I just pray for the supernatural ability to open ourselves up to learning something new or to relearning something that's gotten difficult over the years, so that we can not just to check something off of a list, but to seriously just for the process of getting to know you more deeply and and actually incorporating scripture into our being in a way that just makes us love you more.
Speaker 2: Amen.
Speaker 1: So interestingly, one of the blocks that I thought I would come against that I really didn't is this question of like, how do I choose what to memorize first? Did you have that or were you just kind of like, Okay, this is the one I'm going to.
Speaker 2: Do it sort of?
Speaker 3: I mean, it took me a little bit of time because, like I said, I had in my head, Okay, I want to memorize something where I can just present the Gospel in a nutshell to somebody in I'm picturing the prison cell. That's my goal, is what are my wants and go tos if I'm on a deserted island with twenty people. And so my block was that it's long the one that I thought I wanted to start memorizing. So I'm going to And then I realized about myself, I'm I'm going to start small and so it wasn't that bad, but it was a little bit of a process.
Speaker 1: Huh yeah, I I figure that that would be one of my biggest blocks because it's almost like, by choosing Romans eight, I'm saying that Romans eight is better than Isaiah Forte. Who am I to say that? But it sort of did, like, Okay, I think it was just God being like, here's where you should start. So if people do have that as one of your blocks, I would just prabay and ask God to show you. And for me, it was just kind of really natural where to begin with that. Another option could be think about times where you wish Bible recall would come to you. So maybe it's at night and you feel anxious, so then maybe you could just google good Bible versus for anxiety. You know, you could do it kind of topically or issue based, or maybe you have a hard time with a specific sin. Maybe you are hot tempered and you can just look up what are some verses that speak about anger and make that one that you do. But by choosing, you're not saying that that verse is more important than another. It's just what God is bringing to moments, you know, just like if I eat spaghetti for dinner tonight. I'm not saying that spaghetti is inherently better than lasagna. You know, they're just two different meals.
Speaker 2: They just are. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Well, where I started when I first started memorizing scripture in college was the Navigator's Topical Memory System. And we're not like promoting it in terms of like we don't get a kickback. I think it's a free resource. But it's the topical memory system. And they actually have categories. So if you have something that you want like living the New Life, they have you know, Christ, the Center, Obedience to Christ, the Word, prayer, fellowship, witnessing like they have. They have it topically organized so you can choose like which ones, and they do have kind of a method to what you memorize, kind of to equip you to share the Gospel more fully, more easily. And so yeah, it's it's a pretty Oh I guess you do have to buy it, so but I think you probably you can buy the cards that you can tear apart, but they have all of them listed so you can create your own cards based on their resource. So all of that to say, if you need to use something, it's that's a really easy one to use. But there are tons of them.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, we have Google now, we even have chat GPT. So you could even say, I'm the fifty year old woman trying to get back into Bible memory, and I like this translation and I want a passage it's not too long that talks about this, and it'll give you a bunch of options, and you could pick one right from there. Maybe double check that I have not had chat GPT. Ever, give me a Bible verse. It's not a Bible verse, but I have had chat GPT, just like make up facts that are true.
Speaker 3: Me too, Oh my gosh. And it'll always say, oh, you caught me.
Speaker 2: Yes, I'm just.
Speaker 1: Like what, So double check it before you do it. But that is an option as well. So when you memorized the one that you started working on, did you just start looking at it and learning it or did you have any other systems for how to do the act of memorizing.
Speaker 3: I did just basically. I would do the first few words, cover it up, say them, and then I did the first few words plus a few more. Now, though as you say that, I remembered what you said about memorizing. The large amounts of scripture, it might be beneficial to memorize the first few words, then memorize the next few words, and then put the two together.
Speaker 2: I'm thinking for my brain because when I just keep adding and adding and adding, one.
Speaker 3: Of my blocks is ooh, that's too long, like when I start to see the string getting longer and longer. So I think, maybe, like you what you did, only I do it on a micro scale of like, okay, first few words, then the next phrase, just memorize that phrase and then put the two together. So I think that's what I'm going to do for the remainder. But what I had been doing was reading a little bit, then adding a little bit more, adding a little bit more, and it was challenging.
Speaker 1: Yeah, eventually you know what your brain capacity is and you need to basically make it into a smaller chunk than what max is out your brain capacity.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: One of the I don't think this is a block, This is just a logistic problem that I come across when I memorize, is how do I know if I'm getting it right? Because if I'm just here doing it right, Like we think of Bible memory as something that a kid does in Sunday school and there's a teacher there and you're chanting it with the group, and all of those things are so good for memory, right, like speaking of it out loud, doing it kind of more chanty, doing it in a group, so there's reinforcement. But if you're just sitting there with your Bible, most of those aren't available to you. You I would come up with a chant. I think that's actually very beneficial, but I'm too self conscious to do that out loud, even if I'm home alone, which you know, there's another block that I could eventually get over.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well one thing if you're not if you're open to it, I remember it was for a Wana. There's a CD that you can get and if you are not opposed to singing little kids songs, it was so effective. And it's not like great music. It's not great tunes. It's very repetitive and generic sounding. But you would be amazed if you haven't already learned things through Auana music.
Speaker 2: Or no no, no, no, I'm sorry. Was it a Wana? Or was it Good News Club?
Speaker 1: There's tons of resources and most of them.
Speaker 2: Are both Good News Club.
Speaker 3: But yeah, even the most sing songy generic tunes stick in your head better stick in my head absolutely well.
Speaker 1: And there are some albums for Bible memorization that are more geared toward adults. So honestly, for me, if I were to do it, I'd be like, give me the kid stuff. It's more fun, it's more catchy. But there was definitely a time in my life where I would have been almost insulted by that and it just wouldn't have resonated with me. And so I do know that there are lots of people who make scripture memory versus set to music, and sometimes they're more paraphrase and sometimes they are definitely like verbatim to the word, And you just have to decide what you're most comfortable with. Do you know the band Shane and Shane, So they have an entire album. It's just an acoustic album called Psalms, and it's beautiful and they're all inspired. All the lyrics are inspired by Psalms, but they're not like verbatim from Psalms. But I know there are also people who for adults take John three sixteen and set it to music. But like I said, to be fair, the kid's stuff is catch here, it's going to be in your head more. Yeah, to me, I'm at the stage of my life where it's more fun anyway. So yeah, the one thing that I could definitely see myself wanting to add that I wouldn't be self conscious about doing home alone is signing. So the whole thing that I came across it was like called predestined, justified, glorified, and like it's like, what order do those go in? I think I could definitely if I learned the sign language for those, or even just some kind of hand q that helps me do it in order, I think I would memorize it more, or if I really wanted to, I could come up with a mnemonic, right, so I could be Okay, first it's called then it's predestined, so CP. So now I'm thinking about cerebral palsy, which is kind of a sad thing to be thinking about, but that's what I'm thinking about. So you know, I can I can tell myself it's a three were palsy verse. So okay, those he called he predestined because see has to come first, right, There are lots of mnemonics there. One of the things that I find for when you get logistically to just if you're learning a passage by yourself, and you don't have a great way to test yourself. There are apps that will do this, or I like to do it in paper. What I like is to write down the first letter of each word and then just put it on a note card and look at the note card and see if I can do it all of that way. It's basically the equivalent I know a lot of Sunday school teachers. You'll write the entire verse on the board yep, and everyone will say it out loud, and then you'll just erase one word at a time, and when you're with a group, and when you're doing it in a kind of sing songy tone, by the time every word's been erased, you can do the whole thing. So I like having the first letter of each word as a cue. And then what you can do is, once you get comfortable with that as you can turn it into the first letter of a phrase and then like the first letter of averse or the first letter of a paragraph, just kind of to keep you on track. But right now, if your only options, like for me, my only option is to have it in my head or to have the whole thing in front of me in the Bible right, and so there's there's not an imagery, but I know there are apps that will do this as well, and so it can be specifically a Bible memory app. I don't have any to recommend, but I know there exist, or I know there are apps designed to help people memorize, you know, like a speech or something. There are some where you can if you're an auditory learner, you can record yourself saying it and then what it will do is it will read it back to you but leave out certain words, and then in your brain you're filling them in. So basically you're doing the same thing that Sunday school teacher is doing by erasing one word at a time. Another way you could do it. Another kind of logistic hurdle I come across in this is if if it's just me, I don't know if I'm saying it right or wrong right, so I might think I have it totally right, but I might be forgetting an entire middle section. So I know there were apps where you can record yourself and it will tell you, or you know, you could even just there are so many voice memo apps. You could just record it as a voice memo and then go back and check it against scripture.
Speaker 3: And one of my favorite ways to memorize scripture was with a partner, Like I had a friend and we would get together once a week and so she would have it in front of her and I would say it and she would, you know, go like this, and if I made a mistake, and that would.
Speaker 2: Cue me to try again.
Speaker 3: It was you know, you can get a live human to just kind of bounce back. I had forgotten the whiteboard thing when I was a Sunday school teacher, and that was my favorite way because it was so really so easy for me because I would just yeah, and that way, like you're not just reading all or nothing. You're taking away and you're practicing and reinforcing.
Speaker 2: That was my favorite way.
Speaker 3: I think I'm actually I have a whiteboard that we haven't used forever. I saw it in my son's room the other day. I think I'm going to actually do that and use it for my Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that one's a useful one. Or when I did Sunday school, I think we even did this sometimes in middle school youth group in order to incorporate more motion. You would all stand in a circle. We'd have a ball like a beach ball, and you would throw the ball and say a word, oh yeah, and that person would catch it and say the next word and throw it to someone else. Because I am such a firm below and I know it works two varying degrees. It works for me so much better when there's a physical component, and for some people that's less important. But I don't think in most I don't think it's ever detrimental to add the physical component. It's just some people it helps them like a bajillion times like me, and some people it might help you a little bit extra. But so yeah, that would be I would say, if I really wanted to add one more component for myself, it would probably be in the tricky parts where I get caught up learning some of the sign language or some kind of hand motion to help me run through that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, as long as you're consistent, it doesn't matter what the hand motion is. You can make up whatever you want as long as you do it the same every time. Yeah, although it would be very cool to learn sign language, Yeah, I.
Speaker 1: Mean, it'd be a nice way to learn some signed vocabulary, so I may as well do it that way. Unless there's a huge reason to make it a different way. Yeah, So well, I want.
Speaker 2: To hear your testimony.
Speaker 3: I want to hear the part where you found yourself unable to memorize scripture.
Speaker 2: I've never heard this story.
Speaker 1: It wasn't until we started talking about Bible memory that I even like considered this part of my testimony. And I got super emotional even thinking about it, because it's slight losing a sense, Like that's how significant it was. So in our previous episode about Bible memory, I did talk a lot about like growing up with a lot of Bible memory, incorporated into our family life and incorporated into my spiritual disciplines, and so it was definitely just part of me and of like being someone who likes to listen to music is just part of me. And then I went to college and for a couple of years I didn't have a church, and I was also just really intellectually bombarded with so much outside questions, like the questions that your son had. But it wasn't it was never like is God true? That was never it, but it was you know, think about every single like liberal college campus and all of the questions that would come at you. And if you've come from a pretty sheltered Christian life, like you're just ready for all of those questions.
Speaker 3: Yeah, right, taking like a New Testament and Old Testament literature classes, and one of the professors was an atheist and he wanted us to be shaken. He saw all these young, wide eyed Christians and he's like, hey, guys, this isn't a Bible study. This is a class. And it was paradigm shifting for me.
Speaker 1: Even to learn how non Christians would view the things that I just never even thought about. Yes, it was like, what do you mean that your God told his closest follower to slaughter his son on a mountain? Like we learned that as a cute story of God's provision and all, wasn't Abraham so faithful?
Speaker 3: We don't realize the actual act and what it would have happened, And.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yes, and so yeah, it was just intellectually such a difficult time for me. Plus I was so absorbed in my studies because I needed to get the A plus and everything. I wasn't okay with being a B student at that point, and so like my brain was just so tired, and I really think that's what it was. Like I went years without reading a novel, which I'll look back be like that is so sad, and because like my brain, Like I did take some literature classes, but after I graduated, like I went two years without picking up a single book other than the Bible. It was just my brain was tired. And so I think those were some of the things, Like if I had to go back and be like, you know, how did this happen? A I wasn't being regularly fed the Word because some of my Bible memorization, I was fortunate enough. And I think this is just like genetically in personality, like I could pick it up just by hearing it, you know, And so I didn't always have to sit down and force myself to memorize. I did that as a practice, but like there were a lot of verses that I knew just because I heard them in sermons and stuff. And since at that point I'm going back on my rant, I was hearing them all in the same version of the Bible, and I didn't have twelve conflicting versions on my head.
Speaker 2: The versions just or the passage just stuck.
Speaker 1: So I wasn't getting fed a regular input of scripture. I was still reading the Bible myself, and I would still for a bunch of it, like there was still like a dorm Bible study. I would ATTENDANTU. But there wasn't like a church community where I was sitting and listening to a sermon. So I don't know if that had to do with it. I'm sure some of it had to do with one hundred percent of my mental energy was focused on schoolwork, and so maybe my brain was even trying to protect me. It was like, you don't have room to keep these memory versus in your head and learn all of these nomenclature rules for organic chemistry, so let's just put these aside, kind of like the cleanup crew in Inside Out, where they're just cleaning her brain from memories she doesn't need anymore. Yeah, I think my brain, Yes, I think my brain was probably like, okay, if getting an A is her primary goal, which at that point it was, and I have to choose between remembering this random fact about Raskalnikov in Crime and Punishment versus what does Romans six say? Okay by Roman six, And then I think we add on to that just you know, stress, emotional stress from being away from home, physical stress. I ate really poorly. I tried to I decided that I wanted to try to be vegetarian, but basically that just meant I ate like pasta, like for a semester, so like, you know, no veggies, no protein. So I think I think there were so many things that went into it. And then in addition, using my brain and my faith together heightened this sense of unease that I felt being in that environment. So again, I think my brain was kind of like, Okay, we'll talk about faith when we're not talking about intellectual stuff, and we'll talk about intellectual stuff. You know. I think my brain was trying to do me a favor by really compartmentalizing the two. And so like I believed in God, still followed the Bible, still acted like, you know, an obedient, moral Christian girl, but I could not recall a Bible verse, like it would have been hard for me to tell you what John three sixteen said, and that's you know, I mean, that's one of the ones that's just you know, from being three years old and up. And it wasn't as if I knew that I had lost it. It was more like so it's hard to explain. Like again, I think my brain got so compartmentalized that it probably just didn't think about the fact that I didn't have Bible recall, and it came out. It came to a huge head this summer before my senior year of college. So for people who have followed this story on Christian true crime junkies, I told my whole testimony of joining a really abusive, authoritarian cultish church. This is the summer before that happened, and so this is where it all kind of came to a head. So what happened was I went on a mission trip that summer. It was a first mission trip, actually the only mission trip I've ever been on, and I went to Russia. And at the time, I had just taken the MCATs, I was waiting to get my MCAT scores, or I think I had just gotten my MCAT scores before I left, and I had at least started the process of applying to medical schools, and this mission trip to Russia was kind of going to be like the one the one thing I did before. I just like jumped right back into the grind of a really growling school year and finished up my senior year. And while I was there, I was lying in bed. It was kind of like first thing in the morning, I was probably jet lagged or something, so like I was lying in bed but not asleep, and the verse came to me and it said, do nothing out of selfish ambition or rain conceit. And it was the first time that God had allowed Bible recalled to come to me in years, like maybe since I left for college, like after high school. And it was so convicting because I knew, like simultaneously what God was telling me, and what God was telling me was that my medical school plans were just selfish ambition. It was just because I wanted to prove that I was the best student. And in the early two thousands, what did you do if you wanted to prove you were the best student? You got into medical my doctor. Yes, And it was so convicting. It was also difficult, like it was it was a bagi things. Simultaneously, it was the conviction. It was one of the heaviest senses of conviction. I've ever experienced. It was also oh, no, my parents are going to be really mad, So there was fear there. And also I was worried about what the other people that we were on this mission trip would say because in all of the pre mission trip stuff. It was like, now this is the caricature of what I was told, So this is more extreme. Now you're going to get there and this is going to be so new for you, and you're going to get so excited about serving the Lord that you're going to think he wants you to be a missionary. But it's okay, it's just the emotions. You're going to get caught up in emotions. Just know that it's going to pass. It's just a face, sweetie. That's really what they wear into cancers. I get is an important warning. You don't want people to make rash, life altering decisions from a heat of the moment emotional level. Right, Just like I can't tell you how many people I've met who when you ask them how they got to Alaska, they say, well, I went on vacation here once and either never.
Speaker 3: Lever came back or yeah, never never went back home, or yeah, or like went home, packed up and knew that I had to live here forever.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Right. It's kind of a trope.
Speaker 2: I mean it is.
Speaker 1: And there was that trope of being on the mission field and thinking that God was calling you to be a full time missionary. But oh, that's just your emotions. And so I was afraid of getting pooh pooed if I were to go and tell the people that I was with that I had had this extremely convicting moment because basically I knew it. I had wanted to be a missionary from the time I was very, very little, and the medical school was the nope, you got to have an actual career. And so basically, as it was getting downloaded into my brain to do nothing out of selfless ambition, it was don't go to medical school, disappoint your family, pooh pooed by the people on your mission trip. Oh, and by the way, you're going to become a missionary. And that side of it never happened. That's a whole other story that had more to do with medical stuff. But it was, like I said, the very first time that a Bible verse came to me in years. And so then I got home, I did have that renewed thing that they warned me against and that everybody poo pooed of, like I got to read my Bible, I gotta do all this stuff. And in the same way, I hate when people make fun of or belittle like teenage crushes. I hate when people make fun of or belittle like a spiritual high after a retreat or after an experience like this. Okay, is that the way I'm going to feel for my entire life about the Lord? No? Is it a gift that I felt that way when I got home from Russia. Yes, and so I was spending a lot more time in the world. Now. What I was terrified of was that I was going to have to go and rememorize every single Bible verse that I had ever known. But I think, really, when I look at it, I don't think it was that the versus left my brain. I think that they were just trapped and sealed, and so the act of getting them back it was scary and daunting. But once that safe got opened, it first slowly came back and then it was just there again. So it happened faster than I expected it too for it to come back. But it absolutely made me realize what a gift it is, because I had just taken it for granted in the same me that I don't look at my hand and be like, I'm so thankful I have a hand to day right right, Like that's kind of how having scripture just you know, I used like people used to joke that, you know, that I was kind of a walking concordance because if they would be like, what's that one verse about that one thing? And this is pre google and I could be like, I could either tell them it was or I could flip into my Bible and find it pretty quickly. Yeah, And to me, it didn't enter my head that that was like the Lord give it and the Lord taketh away. It didn't enter my head that that was something that I could.
Speaker 3: Have lost and might have been like, you know, maybe you even were just like, yeah, this is something that I made happen, as opposed it's probably to make this happen.
Speaker 1: And so I deserve to have these verses at my fingertips because I worked to memorize them, and I did spend a lot of time in the Bible in my teens, and so yeah, there was a sense of well, you know, I hate to attribute this to myself, but I'm sure there was some you know, if you worked hard, you could have this too, you know, But then to have it just taken away and then given back with a snap of the fingers was very humbling.
Speaker 3: That's very cool, that's really neat to see. And I think we can apply that to a lot of things in our life lives that you know, you and I talk a lot about the dangers of focusing so much on the strengths of others that we don't recognize the strengths and ourselves. And I think for you that was a huge strength and a huge thing that you just like you said, it's like, you know, writing with your hand. You don't think about that hand being a gift? Do you think about it as just how things are?
Speaker 2: So I don't know.
Speaker 3: It's a reminder to be able to kind of without having things taken away. If we could take a moment and just reflect, like what are the gifts God has given you?
Speaker 2: What are the things that you're using well now for His kingdom.
Speaker 3: Or otherwise for you know, your creative process, your gifts, your talents.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I think a good kind of listener holmework could be ask yourself a Christian who knew you well, what would they say, like, Oh, that comes so easy for you, and you're like, doesn't it for you know, kind of like Elwood's what like it's hard, Like ask yourself what is that thing for you, and then assume that that is a gift from the Lord, So a drop any pretense of pride about it, but be realize that there's a lot of responsibility. There was a long time where I thought that God withheld that from me as punishment because I wasn't walking with him like he wanted me to be. And I think that there is a sense of whoever has will be given much and whoever doesn't use what they have, what even what they think they have, is going to be taken from them. It's you know, it's Jesus's version of what Uncle Ben tells Peter Parker. With a great gift comes a great sense of responsibility. So think about the one or two things that are easy to you or at your worst, what you might be judging about others for like, this is so easy for me, why can't why can't you do this? And then recognize, Okay, that actually is probably a gift. That's probably not something I've fostered in myself, because yes, I foster your Bible memory work. But I wouldn't have done that if God hadn't made it easy for me. Do you know what I mean?
Speaker 3: Yes, No, I totally get it, and I feel like it just makes me realize that there are things that we might just be thinking like it's this isn't really work of the Lord.
Speaker 2: This is this is cheating because it seems so easy.
Speaker 3: Of course, in order to serve God or to you know, use my talents, I should have to put some skin in the game. I should have to be like, work hard and sacrifice and be a little bit miserable for it to count right, right? And I think, while, yes, we don't need to just be only focusing on things that come easily, but I don't know to appreciate like, Okay, this is how God made me. And if I love doing this thing all the better, you know, let me just keep doing it and doing it well and keep working at things I love.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: I don't know, yes, And if my story might be you know me, I'm not a fearmongerer, but I would not mind my story being used as a tiny bit of And what would you do if God took that away? You know? Or is there a chance that if you're not using the gifts God has given you that he might take them away?
Speaker 2: There absolutely is.
Speaker 1: I don't think that he does it capriciously. But if you know, let's say, if doing hospitality is something you love and just comes so natural and you're so good at it, and maybe you're even tempted to look down your nose at people that it doesn't come as easily too, And then you go four years or that ever inviting anybody into your home because of this, that or the other thing. Don't be so brash to assume that the minute you decide to pick it back up again, that it's going to be there for you. Yeah. I think of it almost like how the ancient Greeks would think of a muse, like the creative muse. They were seen as extremely capricious. It was like here one day, gone the next, and you never know, so you're always thankful when it shows up. And I don't say that we think of God that way, but I think there should be a tiny bit of healthy humility when we think about the gifts that we've been given. Just because God gave you a gift today doesn't mean he can't take it away. And that means that we do needs to be good stewards of it, and we shouldn't be prideful of it. And if you're not using it. There might need to be a tiny bit of healthy fear and just that uneasy feeling in your gut. Ooh, maybe maybe I'm not living up to God's expectations for me. Yeah.
Speaker 2: No, that's a really good point.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Well, anything else do you want to add regarding either just kind of spiritual gifts or back to the Bible memory side of things.
Speaker 2: I don't think so. I just I'm excited to be back into it. It's fun.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, I'm really glad that we got into that discussion about it and I got kind of a reason to get back into it too. Well. With that, let's close with our blessing and an addiction. May God fill your heart with greater joy than all the world could ever offer. May He fill you with joy and his presence. May God Himself be your joy and your delight through sorrow and sadness. May the joy of the Lord be your strength. May the Holy Spirit himself annoint you with the oil of joy gladness to strengthen and encourage your spirit to stay and forevermore.
Speaker 3: And our benediction is from Psalm sixty seven, verse one. May God be gracious to us and bless us and make his face to shine upon us.
Speaker 2: Amen.
Speaker 3: We'd like to take just a quick second to thank the team at Life Audio for their partnership with us on the podcast. If you go to lifeaudio dot com you will find dozens of other faith centered podcasts in their network. They've got shows about prayer, Bible study, parenting, and so much more. That's life audio dot com.