Speaker 1: Life Audio. Hello, Welcome to the Praying Christian Women Podcast. I am Alana here with Jamie. How are you.
Speaker 2: I'm doing well, how are you? God?
Speaker 1: I am just really really excited about today's topic. I always love meeting with you, but today's topic, I'm.
Speaker 2: Like, I cannot wait to talk about this. That makes me so happy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and this is a topic that's like, it's not revolutionary, it's a very basic topic. But I love going back to some of these basics because they're so important, and sometimes we gloss over them for the you know, frillier more, you know, obscure things. But this topic is yeah, yeah, I want to tell everybody what the topic is.
Speaker 2: Are we going to leave?
Speaker 1: No? No, let's let's drag it out for at least another ten minutes, because they most certainly have not read the episode title, so they.
Speaker 2: Have no idea, no idea whatsoever.
Speaker 1: Talking with a friend yesterday and she asked how the podcast was going, but she was really sweet about it. And if I went in to be like snarky, I could tell you in the mean way She's like, so are you still podcasting about prayer? And truly it was just kind of a like, hey, are you still doing this thing that I remember at one point you said you were doing. But it brought me back to when you and I started this idea. It was like, how much is there to say about prayer? It's like, prayer is talking to God. It is important to do.
Speaker 3: So I think we even had the conversation of, like, well, when we eventually run out of topics, and you know, maybe we'll switch gears and do it as something else. Like I think it was a foregone conclusion that we were eventually going to kind of run out of topics. But here we are, what like over five hundred episodes, and.
Speaker 1: You know, I'm so thankful and I'm I love today we're going to be talking about memorizing scripture. So recently you and I have been talking just about practical ways to add more Bible reading into our day to day lives, which is a struggle that going into this new year, you and I both confessed that we were having. And so this is a tangent off of that, and we're going to be spending some time to talk about scripture memory. And the moment it popped into my head that we were going to do an episode about this, I realized, like Oh, I've been sitting on like the book in my brain, like I have so much to say about this.
Speaker 2: Wow, that's exciting.
Speaker 1: I'm so excited. So, because we're talking about scripture memory, I went to think about things you remember from your childhood. What is some just like jingle or something just so random that you still remember super clearly from growing up.
Speaker 3: Okay, I remember this commercial and it was funny because I was in the process of learning the song for Elease on the piano and there was a McDonald's commercial that came on and it was to the tune of for Elease. Oh yeah it was, And I still remember the words and the girls going she's singing along as she's playing her piano recital, and she goes, then I will have my chuckle at shake and cheeseburger and also ones and also fries, and I'll eat all my fries myself and not give any to my dumb brother, hands off, all mine, all mine.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I think it really shows I think that every single one of us can go back and remember some kind of jingle or some kind of playground ditty or for me, it was all the jump rope songs.
Speaker 4: Oh.
Speaker 2: I loved that.
Speaker 3: The double Dutch and all the difference and the Miss Mary Max the hand.
Speaker 1: Yes, all of those ages live in your head forever, which is what we're talking about. So like for me, it was always like bubblegum commercials. For some reason, those were jingles that always stood out the most. And so it's kind of this idea of if the people who made the bubblegum commercials know how to get something in your head that you remember it forty years later, we could probably find a way that we can remember a Bible verse. Right.
Speaker 2: I would get to do that, I surely hope.
Speaker 1: So another thing, memory wise, it just flips in my brain. I read so much to the kids that there are certain children books that I could either just sit down and recite to you without having it in front of me, or if I hear a phrase, it will bring me like right back to that whole book and all of a sudden, like I'm resigning the whole book in my head.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So you know, as an aside, what's so funny? So Baby Beluga was a song, yes, and it was by Raffi. It was also we had the like board book of Baby Beluga that was our oldest favorite book and like it was just kind of his theme song.
Speaker 2: He loved it.
Speaker 3: And I recently, like, after having no ever known this before, someone sent me a song.
Speaker 2: It's called the Hockey Song by Raffi.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, and our kids all play hockey, and I can't believe that I never knew that the author of Baby Yuga also had a hockey song.
Speaker 2: Anyway, that's fun, that's just fun. Yeah, it is.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I think that there is something beautiful about having shared collective memories. It's something that I feel a little sad for our kids generation. I think they have it a little less because when we were growing up, it was like nursery rhymes, and now our kids, because of TikTok and YouTube, it can be anything, right, Yeah, I heard the funnest little Kids song, but I'm guaranteed that most little kids are never going to know it, and my grandkids will never know unless I teach it to them. But it was like it was an Internet sensation for all of a week. Do you know the Oh no, now it's out of my brain. I'm gonna need to run upstairs and ask my son. Those little funny salamanders what are they called? The axe lottles?
Speaker 2: Oh? Those are I love accel Lottles.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there is an axe Lottle preschool song which is know that so cute and so catchy. But if I taught it to like my baby or my grandbabies who don't exist yet, it's not like they're going to go to preschool and their teacher is going to know the same song and then when they go to their best friend's house or grandma's going to know the same song. And when you and I were younger, there was a little more of that, you.
Speaker 3: Know, there were fewer collective songs, like everything was. Things were passed on from person to person, and there were only so many, right exactly, and so it's just a quantity thing.
Speaker 2: It is sad, it is.
Speaker 1: But everybody with preschool or or everybody who thinks that axel Lottles are super cute and adorable, just do yourself a favor and look up the axl Lottle song. You don't need to have kids in the house or young kids to appreciate it. It's really fun.
Speaker 2: I'm doing it all right.
Speaker 1: Well while people have you know, paused us to go listen to the axl Lottle song and then come back, do you have a verse of the day for us I do.
Speaker 3: This is a verse about God's word from Deuteronomy six, verses six through nine. These commandments that I give you today are to be on your hearts, Impress them on your children, Talk about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down, and when you get up. Tie them as symbols on your hands, and bind them on your foreheads. Write them on the doorframes of your houses and on your gates.
Speaker 1: I love this one, and I didn't even realize. There's a whole other aspect to this topic that I wasn't even planning to talk about, and that is how to help your children learn how to memorize Bible verses. Because our kids were in a Wana, which I think is a great program for scripture memory, but we would also memorize longer passages. This is one of the first longer passages that I talked to the kids, and a few of the tips I used we did it real sing songy, so it was talk about them when you sit at home, when you lie down, and when you stand up. Because it's way easier to learn a song than it is to learn a poem. For example, right. How many of us know songs that we just know the words too and didn't work to memorize versus how many poems do you have memorize it? You didn't like work to memorize, right, right, And so there was that. We combined it with some hand emotions, which can also be really, really useful. I think those were the two biggies for that specific one. But yeah, I'll add that to the list. This might turn into a mini series about scripture memorization, but no, I love that passage. I think it's a beautiful reminder of the importance of imparting scripture to your chill specifically, well, before we dive into the meat, you want to open us up in prayer, Yes I will.
Speaker 3: Lord, We thank you for your word, and just pray that this time would just be informative and that it would be something that would really enrich our desire to and excitement for memorizing scripture. It can sound like a very dry academic thing, but Lord, we love it. We hear word is a lamp to our feet, a light to our path is it is everything, And we just pray that you would help us just to continue to cultivate an excitement for your word to cultivate a hunger and thirst to take it in and incorporate it into our lives and help us to find creative ways to do that.
Speaker 2: In Jesus' name. Amen. Amen.
Speaker 1: So I'm trying to figure out the best place to start, because so much of what I want to share is really more of a testimony of my journey with Bible memory, and through that there will be lots of tips and tricks and takeaways. But before we even jump into that, let's just all get on the exact same page. Why is this even important? Why are we talking about it? How would you answer a cynic who says, and you don't even have to be a cynic to say this, What's point of memorizing scripture? When I could just look it up on my phone? Right? Like? What's the point of memorizing the Times table now that I could just ask Siri to do it for me? Is what I'm sure some elementary kids are asking their teachers.
Speaker 3: Oh, don't get me started. So I have very strong So we had a conversation. I and our middle kid had a very lengthy conversation on this about math. It was the very same thing because there's a certain type of math and statistics that you need to know the formula for, but there's also a whole training on how to use your calculator to find the same answer, and they're learning both. He was trying to convince me that his teacher said they only need to know the calculator version, and I just I was like, no, that's not true. His worksheet actually clearly in the instructions said that they needed to do both.
Speaker 2: So you know, I was right.
Speaker 3: But when we talked about it, I told him it's yes, it's important to be able to use the tools that we've been given, and this is for both math and scripture.
Speaker 2: Memory. Yes, use the tools. I have embraced AI.
Speaker 3: I've embraced search engines, and they literally have replaced at this point my concordance because they incorporate concordances. I don't open up my physical concordance anymore. But you also need to know how to find these things and come up with the answers if those things aren't available. And where scripture differs is it's not just finding it, it's having it available to you. And I don't want to be morbid, but look at the signs of the times. Look at our reliance on technology.
Speaker 2: It's going to crash. It just is it has to.
Speaker 3: I don't want to, you know it, just at some point, whether it's temporarily you lose power, whether it's you end up Heaven forbid, you're in a prison cell and you're not given access to an electronic or.
Speaker 2: Maybe even a Bible.
Speaker 3: I don't want to go down a fear route because that's not what I'm intending. But we have to get to the point where we are able to recall God's word without having to rely on anything but our brain and our spirit and the Holy Spirit, because at some point you're not going to have it. What if you're hiking with a friend and you have no cell service and you're talking to them, and you have no Bible on you, and they ask you a really important question about faith and about God, and you don't have anything because there's no well of knowledge to draw from for the Holy Spirit to kind of dig from. And I'm not saying that as a Christian like that has a background in the Bible, that you won't have something for the Holy Spirit to bring to your mind. God is very creative, but we I believe firmly and strongly that it is our responsibility as believers to do just this. These commandments are to be on your hearts. They're not just to be things that you read during church service on Sundays or Saturdays. You know when they were in synagogue. Impress them on your children, talk about them, and tie them as symbols on your hands, bind them on your foreheads. Those hands and foreheads are symbolic of your identity. This is who you are. This isn't just words on a page. So I can't emphasize enough that we cannot rely on electronics to bring to mind the things that the Holy Spirit was always meant to bring to mind. And if we don't have a well for the Holy Spirit to draw from, it's going to be very difficult, and at the very least, it's not going to be nearly as effective as if you have committed some scripture to memory, and at the very worst, it's going to be ineffective and you're not going to have anything to be drawn from.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, I think that makes a ton of sense. I would add to that that the act of memorizing scripture can really help you slow down and absorb the meat of a passage in a way that just reading it for a lot of people wouldn't let it sink in. So even if I knew that, I would always have a digital Bible and a concordance at my fingertips whenever I went in, I would still be able to rattle off a lot of benefits of memorizing scripture or another one lying in bed at night, especially if you're prone to and so, or you're prone to anxiety, learning to just go through Bible passages as you're falling asleep and you don't want to have to have your phone in your hands do that, because that's going to make it even harder to fall asleep or get you more distracted. So in addition, I would list those some of the big benefits. I think of it kind of like a paramedic. I know that since you've taken organic chemistry, you're going to get the irony of this. So, knowing what you know about organic chemistry as a class and what it requires of students, you will understand how insulting it was when I went to office hours with my organic chemistry professor, and hugely printed up behind his desk was this quote that said I never memorized something that I could look up, and like, dude, you are literally making us memorize like a a jillion different rules and formula and nomenclatures. But on the one hand, I get what your son is saying, Why do I need to memorize a formula if my calculator will do it for me? Especially if I have a decent understanding of what went into getting this formula, so I at least know what the numbers are kind of telling me I do I need more than that? Like, I totally get that kind of question. And so I think about the paramedic who theoretically there is nothing a paramedic is going to encounter on the field that a textbook or an AI or a Google search wouldn't walk them through. But sometimes you got to just react. Sometimes you've got to just have that knowledge at your fingertips. You can't say, hold on, let me, let me find where it is in the book. You just needs to have that muscle memory. And I think sometimes Bible memory can also be muscle memory for when you're confronted with temptation, or you're confronted with fear, or or you're confronted with anger, or I think having Bible versus memorized can really help you when it comes to being convicted. Right Like, honestly, when I think of the Bible verses that just pop into my head so versus that I've memorized that pop into my head when I'm not trying to conjure them, up ninety five percent of the time, they're probably Bible verses that the Lord uses to convict me, which is really important. You know, It's like toxins in your soul. You want to get those out of you. And so I would add those to the list of reasons why all of this is important to be talking about.
Speaker 3: If I would add another analogy, if you look at just either looking up a verse when you need it or versus actually memorizing it. As someone who's not good with directions, I see it as a difference between relying on my GPS. There are places in this town. We've lived here for almost two years. There are places in this town I have gone tens dozens of times, and I've used the GPS every single time, and because of how I'm wired, I couldn't get there if I had to, because I just look at my instructions and I go on autopilot when I don't have the GPS and I actually need to go through the act of Okay, I need to turn left at this road and right at this landmark. It only takes one or two times, and I've remembered it. So with scripture, it's the same thing. If you're only looking it up based on a word or two, it's not going to incorporate itself into you in the same way as memorizing it in its entirety without that crutch.
Speaker 1: That makes a lot of sense. I remember being so proud this ISI decided about directions. I had learned how to drive to your home and anchorage from Glen Allen, like to get up with Glenn Highway and get to your home. I knew how to do that, and I also knew how to get from your house to the airport. And once I had to go right from the Glenn Highway to the airport.
Speaker 2: Oh no, did you know my house first?
Speaker 1: I know, I figured it out, and I was so proud of myself. I was like, I know how to do this.
Speaker 2: That was pretty cool. I thought you were going.
Speaker 3: To say that you didn't have to go to your house, you had to get to my house and then go to the airport, which I don't think would have been the best route, but.
Speaker 1: I mean I probably went pretty close to your house. We lived close to the airport, so it might have made it.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 3: I'm telling you my sense of direction really circuitously, but I made it.
Speaker 1: So Yeah, I think those are all all reasons, and you don't need to be a fearmonger.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: We had a four day power outage when my husband was a pastor and he had to finish his sermon without any of the tools that he typically relied on, and it was just a good reminder that, yeah, that these are important and skills to have. I think that, as much as it could make me sound like an old phobia, I think it's really important for every household to have Bible in print to rely on during a power outage or something like that. And yeah, hiding that word in your heart four times when you don't have access to it, or times where you just need like that emergency kit, the information or the verse to come to you immediately, those are all really important. But honestly, I would say that the best benefit, and this is going to hopefully resonate to our praying Christian women audience. Is the act of memorizing itself helps you to be more prayerful and meditative. So honestly, even if like I had short term memory loss and I could memorize a verse for like two minutes and then forget it, which honestly like is a tiny bit accurate, it still is beneficial. It still is beneficial to take the time to memorize that. And yeah, so I'm really excited that it gets to jump into.
Speaker 2: All of this.
Speaker 1: So I think I want to start is just with kind of my story and through that you can jump in and we can glean out tips and tricks for people and all the Bible memory hacks. But this is basically just a testimony of Bible memorization. So one of the things I want to start with, and this kind of ties into helping your kids scripture. I want to talk about some of the things that my dad did great to help me because I did have a really good Bible memory foundation. I wasn't in a Wannas, but I know that that's a really good kids program. But we listens to a lot of different Bible versus set to song. Did you ever listen to or know about the GT and the Halo Express Music. No, they are great, and but they were cute little audio dramas. But each story had maybe like a dozen songs that were just forbade and Bible Versus set to music, and there were maybe like six or eight episodes, And so by the time you learn all of those, I mean, that's a couple hundred Bible versus right there. So Bible Versus set to song, I think is great. I think we all need to get over this hang up that some of these tips and tricks are childish. They work for kids, but that doesn't mean that as older people we shouldn't use them as well. So honestly, that's probably if we're looking for tips and tricks. Trick number one the fallback set it to music, just like we talked about these jingles, right like, you're never not gonna know for release, but also you know the words to that little song she was singing to herself.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, where is how many thirty five years later?
Speaker 1: Yes, another really fun one. This isn't Bible memory, but it just reminded me another fun music resource for kids. Do you know about Beethoven's wigs? The CDs they're really cute. It teaches kids classical music, but it sets it to funny lyrics. And so it's called Beethoven's Wig because it goes that one of the you know, their flagship song is Beethoven's Wig is very big.
Speaker 3: This is like the Little Einstein's before the Little Einstein's got it, because that's what the Little Einstein is, the same kind of thing where they set these songs to you know, I mean I can't.
Speaker 2: I could sing any.
Speaker 3: Number of them to the Little Einstein's version. Okay, interesting, I love that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So if you've got kids that you want to introduce to classical music, you've got grandkids. Beethoven's Wigs super super fun. Like I grew up with classical music and playing an orchestra, and there are some songs that I would recognize, but I wouldn't know their name or who wrote them. If it worked for Beetho, It's Wig, which I didn't listen to till I had kids, and they're just hilarious. But anyway, that's an aside, but it illustrates how setting something to music can help you memorize. What I did with our kids is I would often take songs that they already knew, so I know we set something to the Darth Vader theme song. I'm trying to think of a few others if i could remember off the top of my head. We learned all of their multiplication tables to song, and a lot of Bible verses to song.
Speaker 2: I love you.
Speaker 3: I love that you mentioned that, though, because in our last episode, I found myself thinking, I wonder if people are thinking that memorizing Bible verse this is for kids, because we kind of associate it with.
Speaker 2: That, you know it like Awana, like the songs.
Speaker 3: But yeah, I think it's important to just be like, hey, don't be afraid to use what we would consider juvenile tactics to memorize God's word. I mean, there's yeah, yes, it's important.
Speaker 1: I love a quote from C. S. Lewis, and unfortunately I need to paraphrase it, but it's something to the effect of I'm now old enough to start reading fairy tales again or something like that. That's yes, I like that, And I feel like I'm kind of coming back around because I've been working on a lot of I'm doing a lot with like children's books for our store and things like that, and I'm thinking about all these books that I used to love to read to our kids, to the point where like once I was talking to my husband about it and got like teary eyed because reading to our kids was such a special experience, and then realizing like I don't need to be a kid or to have a young kid to love Doctor Seuss right, Or when I had the flu and I just I didn't want to listen to like a full audiobook, and I just wanted something comforting. I listened to an aa Milmi poem collection and it made me really happy, you know. And so there's there's something to be said for coming back to some of these things that yeah, maybe they were even designed for kids, but they are effective a be there fun, so why not, right, It's more fun to learn a Bible versus to the tune of the Darth Vader theme song than to just sit down and try to force it into your head. So let's go ahead and do it. So I had those things, and we were also just a family where I knew that Bible literacy was important, right, Like it was just something that was part of our dat day lives. I'm going to go on a tiny bit of a tangent. I'm sure you've heard me rants. Have you heard my NIV rant? No you have not. Okay, No, this is truly and it's going to sound like I'm just being petty. This is the biggest block. I have not been into Bible memorization the last several years like I used to. In around twenty twelve. The NIV the New International Version of the Bible, which is what I grew up, like, all of my pastors preached from it. All of the GT songs I learned were from it. All the Bibles I had growing up were from it. They changed it, so the NIV that you by now is differently worded than the NIV that I used to memorize, and it threw me off so bad that I have not That is one of the biggest reasons why I have not gone back into memorizing huge chunks like I got to wear, like I had over half of the entire Book of Matthew me like I could just recite Matthew one through seventeen or eighteen or so. And one of the reasons why I don't do that kind of intense memorization anymore is because I'm really mad about what they did, but some of it also is that same phenomenon we talked about with like nursery rhymes versus TikTok videos is now like our pastor preaches from the ESV, this podcast I listen to uses the NASV. Like there's so many versions now that there's not one version that's getting reinforced in my head. And so when I think about a verse, I've got multiple versions of it in my head, and it's harder to like, Okay, what's the actual real version, Like when I do hymns at church, and sometimes I will need to ask our pianists like play this for me once, because there's like three different versions of it that it could be and they're all just like slightly different from each other. But you know, that's kind of what happens, kind of like there's multiple versions of a tall tale, right, And you know, I'm not saying the Bible is a tall tale, but I think you get what I'm saying. It has gotten to where instead of like every single time I hear John three sixteen, I'm hearing these exact same words in this exact same order, I'm hearing twenty different versions of it, and so it's hard to memorize when you've got that it is.
Speaker 3: And it's interesting for me because of my input tendencies. I love multiple versions and I look at, you know, the Greek and the Hebrew to kind of see what is the root word.
Speaker 2: And I understand why they revise things.
Speaker 3: I think they have a better understanding of what the original Greek or Hebrew meant.
Speaker 2: And that's good. But when it comes to scripture memory, I'm with you.
Speaker 3: I have a very hard time because when I go back and I didn't realize. I don't think that they changed it in whenever that was twenty twelve, but I did realize.
Speaker 2: I'm like, where did my version go? What version did I memorize it in?
Speaker 3: Was it the re because that's what I grew up with in the Methodist Church was revised standard, and then I started going non denominational and it was an IV.
Speaker 2: I think I memorized an IV. But you're right, because I remember.
Speaker 3: That solves a mystery for me because what throws me off is I had already memorized it. So when you have already memorized something, it should be easier to re memorize it, unless they throw a wrench shit. I think that has been like an unknown block for me.
Speaker 1: Yes, okay, So thank you for saying that, because I truly did think that it was eighty five percent of me being petty and being like, well you changed my versions to No, it's not like a.
Speaker 2: Vendetta that you have.
Speaker 3: I think it's just a I put all this time and effort into memorizing this. Now when I go back and re memorize it, it's different. And so I'm going to have to start from scratch because I can't fall into that da da da da da da da da like rhythm of memorizing because then you get to the word that sticks and it makes it difficult. Very interesting, that solves a mystery for me.
Speaker 1: Well good, I'm so glad that we got to overcome some of our blocks today, which hopefully this is going to do for a lot of people.
Speaker 3: The other thing, I'm sorry to interrupt you, but I want to go back to you, having memorized like half of the Book of Matthew. What is your process? How did you get like what did that look like? Because that is fascinating to me.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So it started with something that I had in my teens. I was part of the Bible Quiz team, which again used the NIV. And for anybody whose children have access to Bible Quizzing, I really highly recommend it. And if you're an adult and you're not going to be on a Bible Quiz competitive team, I can give you some of the tips and tricks. But the year that I was most involved in the Bible Quiz team, it was the Book of Matthew and so I was already very familiar with it as an adult from my experience doing it for Bible Quiz. So let me tell you about Bible quizzing and then I'll tell you about how I extrapolated that to memorize it as an adult. The thing that I loved about Bible Quiz was have you ever done anything like that? Or do you know about Bible quizzing?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 2: I know you did it with your kids, but I don't even know exactly what it is.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So picture something kind of like academic to cathlon. We're like, you get a team, you all learn the same material, and then you go and compete against other teams to see who knows the material best. And so it was, here's a bunch of teenagers who are all studying the Book of Matthew, and so like the first meet or tournament or whatever they call it, it might be like Matthew one through five, and then the next one might be like Matthew five through ten, with a few questions about Matthew one through five, and so over the course of a school year, you're working your way through the entire book of Matthew. Cool. That's how it goes and the way it was set up. And I don't know if this is more to do with the way Bible quiz is set up, or just the way our coach is taught it, or probably if I had to guess it, some of both. It allowed me to get really good at looking at a passage and asking myself, Okay, how many questions can I make from this? Because it's never the questions I ask are never about interpretation. It's never like when Jesus says, blessed are the pure in heart? Who do you think he's talking about? It would be like, why are the pure and heart blessed? And you would say, because there's is a kingdom of heaven, right, And so it's always if it's not there written in the text, it is not part of the answer. In the way that it's taught. So it's almost like sat reading comprehension where you just learn the answer is always there, or.
Speaker 2: Battle of the Books. It reminds me of Battle of the Books.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and the answer is always there, you just need to access it. So let me pull up I'm going to pull up seventeen since we're recording this going into Good Friday, and I love some of Jesus's discourse. So this is Jesus's prayer and John seventeen using the nal NIV. And so I will show you the way that if I were reading this for a Bible quizzing, what I would be asking myself after Jesus said this he looked toward heaven and prayed, I would literally say, where did Jesus look he looked to heaven? And then I would say, what did Jesus do he prayed? And then I would say, when did Jesus look toward heaven and pray after he said this? And so basically, you take one verse at a time and you ask yourself, how many reading comprehension questions can I create from this verse? So, for example, verse ten, Jesus is praying and he says, all I have is yours and all you have is mind, and glory has come to me through them. So my questions would be, what is Jesus's okay? All I have speaking of God the Father? And then what has come to Jesus? Glory has come to Jesus? How has glory come to Jesus? Glory has come to me through them? So you read the verse and then you just go through how many of those questions can you come up with? And so basically I was doing it as a teen to be ready for any question that they might ask in a competition. But what I was truly doing was making sure that I was looking at the verse from every single side an angle. And so that was the Bible quiz method and way to do that. And I think it's extremely helpful even if you're not doing it for a competitive setting, to just if you get to where you really just want to or need to slow down your Bible reading, ask so what does this per se?
Speaker 2: What does this per se?
Speaker 1: And it might sound a little moundane. Let's take Genesis one one. What did God create the heavens and the earth? When did God create it in the beginning? Who created the heavens and the earth. God created the heavens and the earth. So that's right there. That's three different ways of looking at that verse. And maybe in the process of doing that, something is going to jump out to you. Yeah, oh wow, in the beginning that like that's kind of profound as opposed to just in the beginning God created you know, I've known that forever. Or maybe it's He created the heaven and the earth, right, Like, you can even practice putting the emphasis on different words to see like in the beginning, God created the heavens and the earth. Or in the beginning God created the heavens and the earth. Or in the beginning God created the heavens and the earth, right, Like, there's different different ways. So again I go back to kind of my tactile way of thinking and learning, and you're really just manipulating the verse from his as many angles as you can.
Speaker 2: That is so cool. So how did you take that strategy and extrapolate it to scripture memory, like actually memorizing one verse after another, because that's what I would have no problem coming up with the questions, but doing the actual memory work is just sounds really daunting.
Speaker 1: The biggest thing I would say is you need to identify your blocks and figure out how to get over them. I had a couple of blocks as an adult going back into memorizing. Right now, my biggest block is this whole thing about the NIV changing, And theoretically, what I know I need to do is just get the version that I'm used to and still learn from that. I'm not going to try to do all the new stuff. And honestly, this is gonna sound so over dramatic. I need to forgive the NIV for throwing this huge wrench in what was such a huge part of my Bible study for the majority of my life, because it really did throw me off, and there's part of me that I think has been holding on to. Well, if I just stopped memorizing in description, then won't they be sorry? No, they don't know who I am and they don't care you know so. But one of the blocks I had it as an adult getting back into memorizing is the act of memorizing would get mentally so taxing that it could trigger like a depressive episode, and I needed to look at it as like, basically I saw it as a spiritual attack. It was when I get into really intense Bible memorization, I get this spiritual attack and get really depressed. I think if I were to go back and coach myself now, I would actually make myself question that. I would say, are you truly under spiritual attack or are you just expecting because of coincidence that a couple times you have memory scripture and have had depressive episodes after that? Have you made a false association that now is becoming a self fulfilling prophecy?
Speaker 3: Or is there a physiological thing that happens you know something about like you know how bright lights activate seizures, you know, can induce the seizure. What if something about firing your brain in that space constantly might trigger something?
Speaker 1: Or I know, for me, if I focus on one thing for more than several hours, like really intense focus, I get a sore throat. Like physiologically that probably shouldn't happen. I mean, maybe I'm clenching or something. Who knows, but you know, so, yeah, there's all kinds of reasons it could be. But at the time, what I chose to do was to say, even if it makes me feel depressed, this is important enough that I'm gonna do it. I think now I would also go ahead and question the premise and be like, is this really like is it a foregone conclusion that memorizing the Bible makes.
Speaker 2: Feel depressed or or not?
Speaker 1: But that was that was one of the big blocks. The second block was a little more practical, and it was I by that point I had memorized chap like a chapter of multiple passages of Scripture. I had ninety percent memorized some of the shorter epistles like I could. I could have recited them with eighty to ninety percent accuracy. When you get to something as long as what I was doing, it was it's really hard to mentally say, Okay, I'm gonna start at Matthew one one and just lying a bed at night, I'm going to see how far I can go, you know. But it's also really good mental training to do that. And so what I would do is at night, before bed and in the morning when I woke up, I would try to like pick a place to start and see how far I could go without getting distracted. And the reason why I finally quit and didn't go beyond Matthew seventeen or eighteen was I got to where to progress. I really did need somebody to sit and listen to me recite the whole thing, like with the Bible in front of them, and A that's a lot to ask of somebody, and B I didn't have the voice capacity to like just recite that much without getting worse. Yeah, so that's how's But basically it was it was a very similar process to what I did for Bible quiz, in that I would read a verse and kind of just examine that versu mentally from as many angles as I could until like that versus in my head, and then I would go to the next first. So it was like, okay, read verse one enough to yourself that you can do that, and then read verse two enough to yourself three you can get that. Next step is put verse one and two together, you know what I mean, and then keep going. Another tip that worked well for me is, and this is another reason why just finding a pirated copy of the old NIV and just printing it off would be harder. Is the way I memorize is I see on the page where I'm at, and so it would be harder for me to memorize with like here's this Bible here, and here's this Bible here, because even if it's the same words, there are different parts of the page, right.
Speaker 3: So.
Speaker 2: You're definitely visually learning.
Speaker 1: Yes, so I'm almost like picturing myself in the location on the page that I am trying to recite from. And so then once you get to where you can put two or three verses together, then you just go to the next chunk. And so I would learn it chunks at a time, and then not until then when I try to put the chunks together.
Speaker 3: So you try and just build it like a train where you're doing one you do a chunk, and then you do another chunk, and then you kind of put them together. That that definitely is a good tip and seems more doable.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and then another block. And this wouldn't I wouldn't even call a mental block. This is just a logistical block. Is eventually, if you don't keep reciting something to yourself that you've memorized, you don't retain it verbatim. And so it's one thing to be like, Okay, I think the very first book of the Bible I memorized was Philippians, and I was like, okay, that was cool. But unless I say it to myself like once a week, or something. I'm not gonna not going to remember all of it, And so then it turns into how do I this, Like, Okay, I memorized Philippians and now I want to memorize First Peter. Does that mean I need to work on First Peter ninety percent of the time and ten percent of the time refresh on Philippians. So I had to get over this idea of once I memorize it, it needs to stay memorized in my head for it to be effective. Because the act of memorizing it, even though I still do not have the Book of Philippians memorized, was a benefit, do you know what I mean? So I could see that being another hang up. People have another hang up. I could see people getting into is how do I even know what to start with? Why why Philippians are not Galatians? Are you saying that Philippians is better than Galatians or things like that? So, yeah, lots of things like that, And you're mind, what would be some of the blocks that you think.
Speaker 2: You would bet up against.
Speaker 3: I think I have a tendency to look at to have like overwhelmed paralysis, and so I would just be like I would tell myself kind of like you told yourself get I get depressive episodes when I do scripture. I would tell myself, I'm not really that good at memorizing things. I mean I said that earlier. I mean that's a label, that's like something. I'm a story I'm telling myself about myself. You know what, Maybe I'm not that bad at memorizing things. Maybe I just need to go try it. And so I think self fulfilling limitations and just saying that's too big, that's too much, There's no way I'll be able to do that. I'm not good at memorizing things, is what would stand in my way.
Speaker 1: I think one of the biggest blocks that a lot of people are going to come across is that block of well, i'm too old, right, Like, I was fortunate to have a strong basis for memorization when I was a kid. So going back to the NIV that I'm used to, even if it's a passage that I hadn't actively memorized when I was a teen, for example, I'm familiar enough with it that it would be easier for me to memorize that than it would be for me to memorize like a passage of Shakespeare or something, do you know what I mean? It's in my head and in my brain.
Speaker 3: And it makes sense because the context, the ideas are all very familiar. Mm hm.
Speaker 1: However, I really feel like we are called to be faithful with what we've been given my brain. Probably, and maybe this is a cop out, and maybe this is not true. I don't know that my brain is designed to memorize eighteen chapters of the Bible anymore.
Speaker 2: It might not be.
Speaker 1: But that doesn't mean that I am off the hook from ever being I don't want to say supposed to. But it doesn't mean that God doesn't expect me to ever memory scripturegen just because I don't have the brain capacity I might have had in my twenties, I still have some brain capacity, right Like I can still remember your name, I still remember what you look like. I remember the name of your kids. I mean, obviously I have some working memory. And obviously, again, like the more you use your brain, the better it gets it and I find the mental benefits. I mean, this could be its own total episode, the mental benefits of memorizing scripture in addition to just the spiritual benefits. I mean, I'm sure that would take an entire episode to list out just the focus that you get and this idea of neuroplasticity. Yeah, memorizing your first chapter of the Bible is going to be harder than memorizing your tenth chapter of the Bible because your brain isn't used to that. And don't bite off more than you can chew. If I were to get back into it, I would probably start with a paragraph. For me, a paragraph makes the most sense because it's not something I could do in just like a single sitting, like you know, John three sixteen or something like that. But it's also not something that is so daunting that I would never complete it. Right, So figure out where is your brain capacity? What is your opacity for memorizing something? And then this other question like you talked about, of decision or overwhelm, just ask God to bring to mind what is best and to me it. And this sounds really morbid, and you and I have talked before about this most likely over the top, probably not super healthy fixation with like being martyred or suffering for my faith. But one of the questions I would ask is, Hey, if I was in prison for being a Christian and had no Bible. What passage would I have wished I had memorized, you know? And if you strip out maybe the fear mongering behind that, but just ask it kind of without a ton of emotion attached to it, that might not be a bad place to start, Like do you have if if you and I both committed to memorizing a passage of scripture, do you have one that pops to the forefront of your mind.
Speaker 3: I don't have an actual scripture. I can take a stab at it. But before that, I want to make a note. I didn't realize until you started, until you said that that my little rant at the beginning about you know, the grid's going to fail, or if you're in prison for your faith and don't have a Bible that idea came from. I know there's a scene in one of your North Korea books, and I don't remember the details, but I think the person doesn't have a Bible and they're either trying to remember or they're glad that they remembered. But that is the image I have in my mind, is the same image that I had when I was reading about that person imprisoned. That makes me think exactly that if I were in prison, yes, and I didn't have a Bible, and I didn't have an electronic way of looking up things. What would I want to know? And that is that is such a good question. It would definitely be something in the New Testament. I'm thinking, although I've like fallen in love with the psalms through doing the songs every week, I love them, so I would probably say I would I'll pick one psalm and it will be a psalm that is one of the ones where David is just being.
Speaker 2: Persecuted and.
Speaker 3: Reflecting on God's greatness, which I think Psalm fifty six was the one that I most recently recorded, and it was in the line of that, and so you know, something like that. But I think I would also want something from the New Testament, and I don't know what that would be. I'm trying to do you have any I don't think I that.
Speaker 1: My next would be from Romans eight for New Testament. There are lots of beautiful parts in that, but it's some one where more than conquerors, it's also the neither height nor depths, you know, nor anything else can separate us from the love of Christ. There's a lot of beautiful encouragement in Romans eight. So I think New Testament, I think pretty much hands down Romans eight. I would love to brush up on the Sermon of the Mountain, have a little that more access to that as well, And then Old Testament Psalm ninety one jumps way up in the forefront, just a beautiful prayer of protection. You sent me a prayer based on Psalm ninety one forever ago that meant the world to me. Do you even remember that?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 2: I don't.
Speaker 1: You think it was like the very first prayer text that you ever sent me.
Speaker 2: I don't remember.
Speaker 1: And it was also the basis for a prayer I wrote before I wrote The Beloved Daughter, my first North Korean novel. I wrote out a prayer that I prayed every day before I started writing, and it was based off of Psalm ninety one. Wow. And honestly, I mean tons of Isaiah. If I if I had to pick like Isaiah forty through the end of Isaiah, I would learn to have axs so for me to pick. But yeah, if I were to just jump in own, I would do like the last section of Romans eight is where I would start.
Speaker 3: I would also want because I'm assuming I might be in prison with other people, and I will definitely have prison guards like Paul. I would want access to, word for word a nutshell of the Gospel. Mm hmmm, so that I could like actually present it word for word. That would be cool, or at least look back on that mentally, so that I'm expressing it in a way that's biblical.
Speaker 2: And yeah, I like that.
Speaker 1: Well, actually, that's a perfect segue to a plug for our Christian True Crime Junkies podcast, because we recently did the entire story of Stephen the First Martyr and his entire sermon to the people persecuting him.
Speaker 2: So for people who.
Speaker 1: Haven't checked out are Christian True Crime Junkies, you can listen to that if you're not into crime and you've avoided it for that reason. We have a recent episode about Steven, which is all right from the Bible. So with that, let's go ahead and just plan on chatting more about Bible memorization next time as well. I have an entire part of my testimony is losing the ability to memorize script and having zero recall. Oh wow, there were a couple of years I if you had asked me John three sixteen, I would have been like, oh, yeah, I think I learned that one once. So there's yeah, there's more to that, and then more just practical tips and tricks for people interested in Bible memorization. Should you and I are we going to do an accountability thing? Are we gonna come back next week with a passage memorize? Oh?
Speaker 2: Let's do it? Yes?
Speaker 4: What is it?
Speaker 2: What are we going to memorize?
Speaker 1: Why don't we each just pick one and come to come and we'll make those our versus the day. I'll recite mind tiero and you can you recite yours to me?
Speaker 2: Okay, that'll be good. Don't let me forget I'm gonna.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we need to you need a hack to provide yourself. I need to start with just remembering to memorize scripture. Just not even the memory of the scripture, just remembering to memorize it.
Speaker 1: Let me let me put a digital memo in my memory.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'll be doomed when technology fails us.
Speaker 1: Don't say that.
Speaker 3: No, no, I'm not.
Speaker 2: I'm in good shape.
Speaker 1: Well, I'm so glad we get to discuss this. Let's go ahead and closed for today, at least with our blessing and men addiction. May the Lord open the eyes of your heart and fill you with wisdom in the inmost places. May the Glorious Father grant you a spirit of wisdom and our relation, so you may know Christ, who has become for us wisdom from God. On the areas of your life in need of guidance, May God grant you His wisdom and abundance, so that you will not lean on your own insight, but rely on the full riches of complete understanding, which are yours in abundance through.
Speaker 3: Christ and our benediction comes from Psalm twenty nine, verse eleven. May we shout for joy over your salvation, and in the name of our God, set up our banners. May the Lord fulfill all your petitions. May the Lord give strength to his people. May the Lord bless his people with peace.
Speaker 2: Amen.
Speaker 3: We'd like to take just a quick second to thank the team at life Audio for their partnership with us on the podcast. If you go to lifeaudio dot com, you will find dozens of other faith centered podcasts in their network. They've got shows about prayer, Bible study, parenting, and so much more.
Speaker 2: That's lifeaudio dot Com.