Speaker 1: Today's episode of Timeless Wisdom.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I cook one way, she cooked another, which is one of the downsides in her marriage. Because I put on fifty pounds.
Speaker 3: You put on fifty pounds because you cook.
Speaker 2: I cook and she cooks a different way. But we taught each other how we cook, and we both cooked very well.
Speaker 3: I see you put on fifty pounds in four years. Yeah, you need more yardwork. See that's that's your problem. You're sharing the yard work.
Speaker 1: That's coming up on Timeless Wisdom with Dennis Prager. Welcome to Timeless Wisdom with Dennis Prager. Here thousands of hours of Dennis's lectures, courses in classic radio programs. I had to purchase Dennis Prager's Rational Bibles. Go to Dennisprager dot com.
Speaker 3: I am old fashioned.
Speaker 2: I like two sexes.
Speaker 4: I don't know. I think all of a sudden, I don't like being married to one is known as a new woman.
Speaker 3: I want a wife, not a competitor.
Speaker 4: Competitor, competitor, talk about it.
Speaker 5: Bit is crying in the morning thing depression.
Speaker 3: You know, let's get that fixed.
Speaker 1: That's what men think, isn't it what Unless you've got the answer, unless you can say, oh, I know this bloke in the essex rodical fix that, and there's no point bothering.
Speaker 5: How do you write women so well?
Speaker 4: I think of a man and I take away reason and accountability.
Speaker 1: I love him.
Speaker 3: I love him and I don't care what you think.
Speaker 6: I love him for the for the man he wants to be, and I love him for the man that he almost is.
Speaker 3: What do people have rows about him? Money? Sex, sex, money, he wants, she doesn't want, she wants, he doesn't want women.
Speaker 7: I've always been a big problem to me, doctor Fusspender.
Speaker 3: Are you listening, doctor, Yes, yes, yes, go on, go on. This is the Male Female Hour on the Tennis Prager Show. Every week at this time I devote an hour to men and women. I call it the Male Female Hour because it's it's even deeper than just man women Man women is the higher part of our nature. Male female is the basic part hi everybody. This is Dennis Praeger and today's subject is the notion that a marriage should be fifty to fifty. This is one of the great movements of my time, ushered in by the baby boomer generation. You know how I feel about my generations and intellectual innovations. So I shan't go afield on that one. But that has been a very basic one, and I'm sure that many many marriages have in very with a very good will, with a desire to have a good marriage, embrace the idea of fifty to fifty. In fact, if you did, and what is fifty to fifty, I was going to say, In fact, if you did, I want you to call me. In fact, I do. This is one time where I invite calls very quickly because I want to know how you have accepted or if you even tried the fifty to fifty. Fifty to fifty is very simple to explain. We share income and we share duties. That's it very simple, and it makes a lot of sense in theory. If we're both going to work for the income, then we should both do the dishes. We should both make the beds, we should both diaper the baby equal number of times. Or I handle the urination and you handle the defecation. However you split the duties. No pun intended, but it came out anyway. In fact, that was a pun too. All right, We'll leave it at that. Anyway, That's what I want to talk to you. About because in theory it sounds great, but I think in practice it has probably caused more attention in marriages then it has joy because what happens is that you keep scorecards. Well, I did the dishes yesterday, you should be doing them today. I vacuumed on Wednesday. It's it's now Saturday. You should be vacuuming whatever. Whatever it is, it's got to keep If it's going to be fifty to fifty, by definition, you're going to have to keep score. And then one will resent. Do you do you pull your weight in the marriage. That is why guys so often have women share the dinner a bill when they're dating. This is a mentality that has developed among many men and women young middle aged. Now everything is fifty to fifty one eight prager seven seven six one eight pr ager seven seven six, and that is eight seven seven two four three triple seven six. Do you know a couple that has attempted fifty to fifty? Did you as it worked out fifty to fifty income, fifty to fifty house duties? Because you read all the time about the feminist lament that well, by golly, she now works outside of the house and is still the primary caretaker of the house. What a bum deal. Well, I so don't think that fifty to fifty works. That I would argue something that you may not expect from me, and I will in this case, I will even personalize it. I would rather be the house husband and house an homemaker full time then have a fifty to fifty deal. I so want one hundred or not well ninety if you will. I so want to be responsible for one specific thing as a man. That's men need to feel that they are responsible for some achievement, and I would be. I would not feel demean if it so worked out. If I were married to a woman who made a lot more money than I, I'd be very practical. You were in the money, I'll take care of the home. But the notion of everything fifty to fifty, fifty to fifty income, fifty to fifty house duties, it may work. And by the way, if it works for you, I want you to say so, I wanted to work for if anything, my view is whatever works in a marriage, I wanted to work. That's my bottom line. But when I address specific issues, I think that some which sound good cause more tension then they do. Love and joy between a couple. Fifty to fifty is an example of something that I believe caused more attention. That does not mean that a man can never help in the house, of course not. And it does not mean that a woman cannot work outside of the house. No. But fifty to fifty is fifty to fifty. All right, Let's take your calls here, and in some cases it works, and I'll begin with one just to show you that I want to be fair on this, but I let me put it to you this way, since my bottom line is what can help your marriage. If it works for you, I don't want you to change it. I don't. In other words, it's not a moral principles, it's instrumental, not morals. In other words, what works. I think that for most people it doesn't work. But if it does work for you, keep going. And I want to say that in advance. Alrighty, and let's go to the one that works immediately, and that is in Irving, Texas. Irving, Texas is known for fifty to fifty marriages. Hi, Roy Dennis Prager, thanks for calling.
Speaker 2: My pleasure, Thanks for letting me through.
Speaker 3: Yes, sir, I'm fortunate.
Speaker 2: That this is my second marriage. We've been married for four years. We both cooked together. We both enjoyed and doing long work together, yard work. We clean the house together.
Speaker 3: Now when you say you clean it together, you mean at the same time.
Speaker 2: Well, technically we'll set aside of one hour on Saturday morning and with only two of us, I run the vacuum and dust and she cleans the bathrooms and we clean the kitchen together. And that doesn't always work that way because sometimes I work on Saturday mornings, and you know, some we have a lot of give and take in it. We don't hold a scorecard, as you say. You know, it's like when we cook. You know, I cook one way, she cooked another, which is one of the downsides of her marriage, because I put on fifty pounds.
Speaker 3: You put on fifty pounds because you cook.
Speaker 2: I cook and she cooks a different way. But we taught each other how we cook, and we both cooked very well.
Speaker 3: I see you put on fifty pounds in four years. Yeah, you need more yard work. See that's your problem. You're sharing the yard work. All right, I thank you kindly. All right, Well, it's been four years and a second marriage, and obviously they're not having kids in this second marriage, it would have mentioned that, and so that's really where a lot of the fifty to fifty problem arises. In any event, if it works, it works, although he seemed to say to suggest that there will be a lot of flexibility. Dottie in Houston, Texas, Hi, Dottie, Dennis Prager.
Speaker 8: Hello, thank you for taking my call.
Speaker 3: Thank you for calling. I, like.
Speaker 7: Your first caller, was married once am now married again, and my experience is very different. In my first marriage, it was fifty to fifty. We both worked, we both shared duties, and what I ended up with was a man who wasn't my leader and I couldn't respect. So eventually, after fourteen years, the marriage did fall apart because the man who wasn't the leader decided he couldn't be a father and supports and left. Now my second marriage, I do the dishes, I cook the foods. But I do so because I choose and I want to, and it makes me very happy taking care of this man who is my leader and whom I respect a great deal. And all those times, yeah, I wish you know, come and help a little bit. At the end of the day, I am much more happy, and so is he. Because even though he doesn't expect me to do these things, because the norm today is, you know, share duties, do fifty to fifty. Anything else, if he asked me to do them, he probably was guilty.
Speaker 3: All right, all right, it sounds good. Well, I'll have some reactions when we come back.
Speaker 1: This episode of Timeless Wisdom will continue right after this. Now back to more of Dennis Prager's Timeless Wisdom.
Speaker 3: Dennis Prager here, this is the Male Female Hour. And it's a very tough subject because it sounds so good and I mean it. And you know, one of the tricks in life is not to always ascribe to people you differ with bad motives. I think a lot of people are very good motives on this issue and want marriages to work. I certainly do, and if fifty to fifty works for your marriage, you absolutely should pursue it. And I mean that as not in any way I am not compromising with any values and b I am not patronizing you. That is what I believe if it works. Frankly, I think if just about anything works that for a given marriage. I don't believe in an open marriage. So if you say it works to you know, wife, swapping and husband swapping. I don't agree with that because of moral grounds, but within the bounds of the ethical and the moral, if it works, then do it. But my argument this hour of the male female hour is that for a lot, for more people, in my opinion, for more people than not, fifty to fifty doesn't work and causes tension because people then start to keep a list, and then they get angry. They resent, well, but I did X yesterday. Why aren't you doing X today? Or why aren't you doing why? Because I do X, you do Y. I do the dishes in and and you do the beds, and you read articles and you read the literature. So many women are particularly annoyed because they work outside the home and did expect therefore that half the home work be done by the man. But most guys pay lip service to that ideal when they're in college because that is the home of utopian thinking and therefore say oh, I'm totally for fifty to fifty. And then they get married and then they become a guy. They revert to male nature, which is why it's called the male female hour. Now regarding the last call, obviously most of us don't use the terminology leader. But for those for whom it works, that's fine. But I will use terminology that is more modern or more contemporary, and that is being able to look up to your man. Women want to do that. Men want to love their women and cherish their women and protect their women and a woman. That's not the same. Verbiage for a woman to a man, which is part of the fifty to fifty battle, was oh, everything he feels toward her, she should feel toward him, and vice versa. But doesn't work that way unless you believe the ultimate fifty to fifty principle that men and women are basically the same, which is the genesis of all of the nonsense that arose in the sixties and seventies. One Aide Praguer seven seven six And in Cypress, California, it's Paul, Hello, Paul, Dennis Prager, Hi Dennis, Thank you, Michael, thank you for calling.
Speaker 9: Dennis.
Speaker 5: You hit a major reason why in my marriage and is a boor. She believe in the fifty to fifties. She was raised in in that kind of theology, and I wasn't. I was thought that love is sacrifice, and you can measure how much someone loves you by how much they're willing to sacrifice for you. In the fifty to fifty arrangement, there's no sacrificing. One person is doing something simply because the other person did something.
Speaker 2: There and when you keep.
Speaker 5: Score, there is no one person getting up on another where a sacrifice takes place. For example, if she cook me dinner, she would tell me how you do the dishes, because I could do dinner. But I would always tell her, no, I'm doing the dishes because I love you and I want to rest. You could meet dinner because you love me and you want me to be healthy. Not because one did the other, but because of that, and because by nature, men tend to forget, women tend to keep the memory of the score a little more live. Eventually the marriage collapsed because we never learned as a couple to make sacrifices for one another.
Speaker 3: All right, all right there and go there. There's a case where where it didn't work. I happen to believe that's why this is such an important subject and somewhat complex. I do believe in the concept of a contract. I guess it comes in part from being a Jew, and in Jewish marriages that is what it's called. It's called a contract. It's very it's very, it's it's it's almost like a deal, which I happen to think is a good thing. I like that. I don't want to base everything just on on the notion of love, because love fluctuates, but a deal doesn't. A deal is permanent, or at least I mean permanent so long as you stay married, and the Judaism divorce is allowed. But there is a contract called a katuba which the man gives the woman. I owe you this, you owe me this. I mean, it's ancient stuff, it's but the concept is is good. So I do believe that we owe each other things. I just don't believe that it's that the owing is on how work and diaper cleaning. Although I must say I happen to have loved diaper cleaning. There's no rhyme or reason to it. I am not grossed out by it, and b I thought it was a riot. I have one video of me doing it, which I cherish, but that's a separate issue. Nevertheless, I see I actually think that an ideal. An ideal is really where one does become the primary breadwinner and one does the primary housework. That's the ideal. It can always work. I fully acknowledge that usually it's the man. But as I said to you, and we're all just giving our own experiences and opinions here, I would rather be full time homemaker than a fifty to fifty person where I took if I took care, if I could marry, if I did marry somebody who may you know, millions of dollars. I'm not going to say, you know, give up the job and so that we can both work fine. And believe me, see, I happen to think that it is an underrated form of work, homemaking, and that's underrated a in its value. We should do that a separate time. Why I not, but not only is it underrated in its value, that somehow going to an office is on a higher social level for some reason than taking care of a home. I don't understand that for the life of me. But I'll go even further, even in sheer enjoyment of life. The fact is that in many cases you have time to read. Certainly as the kids get older, you have time to read. You have time to listen to talk radio. You know how many of my half of My listeners are female, and a lot of you are at home, and I am your intellectual company because you're a three year old just can't discuss the meaning of life quite as well as I can. And so I am in your life and you have this time. Your husband probably doesn't have this time. So there's a lot to commend itself. I could live that life. I believe I could live that life, but I could not live. And I'm being only open. I may be dead wrong, and that's fine, but there's not right or wrong here. I'm just offering the problems of fifty to fifty where you work it out. God bless you. But I think in most cases it has led to much more attention than joy. Back in a moment on the Male Female Hour. This is Dennis Prager.
Speaker 1: This episode of timeless Wisdom will continue right after this. Now back to more of Dennis Prager's timeless wisdom.
Speaker 3: All right, everybody, you're listening to the Dennis Prager Show, and the fifty to fifty question is the subject on the Male Female Hour? Does fifty to fifty work? I did the dishes yesterday, you do them today. Of course, there are fifty fifties that can work. See, I really need to be fair to myself. I do believe in dividing duties where one is predominantly in charge of the home and one is predominantly in charge outside of the home. I do believe in that. In other words, I believe in fifty to fifty in the sense that you both have to make the house and family work. Of course I believe that. But the fifty to fifty that I find problematic is different. It's where we do the same things fifty to fifty, not the different things fifty to fifty. And let me say on behalf of guys out there, because I find myself often in the position of explaining men, because guys are often very self conscious or even afraid to talk about their nature to their wives. Which is a very very real problem and another subject for another time. But guys need to feel that they are appreciated for something that is uniquely theirs. It theoretically could be you know, you know, painting the house. That doesn't matter what it is, but that is our And now women or at least feminists not women, will dismiss that as of the fragile male ego. You know, I'll tell you why that disturbs me, not because I'm a man. It disturbs me because of the lack of self awareness on the part of any female who says that because she doesn't have uote unquote fragile areas, only men have fragile quote unquote areas. The ideas is just absurd, and it is Society works out best where men feel that they have had their maleness expressed and where women have had their femaleness expressed. But in a society that makes war against the notion of masculinity and femininity, there's nothing to express. There's just humanity to express. There are no more men and women, there are just humans. In fact, there aren't even humans. There are just living beings earth citizens. Alrighty, let's go to some more of our calls here and your calls actually back to Texas and Grapevine and Wendy. Hi, Wendy, Dennis Praeger, Hi, Dennis doing well. Thank you, Wendy.
Speaker 8: That's an honor to speak to you.
Speaker 3: Thank you.
Speaker 8: The reason I was calling is because you know, I've tried to do this fifty to fifty thing for We've be married for seven years and I finally decided to stop working and stay with the baby and my husband's working. And I'm very grateful for that opportunity because a lot of moms don't get to do that. And I guess where I struggle with is this whole I guess I'm still viewing it as fifty to fifty in some ways. But he gets to leave work at five o'clock, he's done, and he comes home, plops his button couch, watches TV, you know, whatever whatever he does. And I'm still working till eleven o'clock at night, you know, putting the kids to bed, doing everything. And it's not until I you know, I feel like I'm nagging.
Speaker 3: What has he done from five to eleven?
Speaker 8: Pretty much just his own thing? I mean, watches sitcoms, computers.
Speaker 6: That's it.
Speaker 8: And I've I find myself, hey, feeling guilty because Okay, I'm the home. I'm the home you know, careas Yeah.
Speaker 3: But it wasn't like you were off from nine to five. You are a on vacation from nine to five yourself, right exactly.
Speaker 8: So I mean I think that you're right though my father, I talked to him all the time and he goes, you know, I need to be because you love him you want to cook and clean because you love him, because.
Speaker 3: You know yeah, but well you know this is a very hard for me because the last thing I want to do is add any any difficulty in your situation. I want you to for things to work out, but I just I just need to say to men here, if you spend from five pm till bedtime just doing your own thing, it strikes me as to say the least problematic. I mean, I why did you marry to be alone on your own the whole time you're at home. We'll be back in a moment. You're listening to the Dennis Prager Show, The Male Female Hour. I'm Dennis Prager. This is the Male Female Hour. A couple of important thoughts here. I've been talking to you this hour about the difficulties for most couples of the fifty to fifty proposition of I did the beds yesterday or I did one bed, you do one bed. I mean that may make it sound silly, but there are people with that mentality. Obviously, I believe that you both have to carry the weight of a family if you have a family, or of a home if it's just the two of you. Of course, and in that sense, I'm radically fifty to fifty. You do X, I do Y. Of course I believe in that. But that we both do half of X, and both do half of WHY and half of Z, and half of A and half of B and half of C. Then it becomes you can have the real problem of having somebody count and find that they've been cheated. Now I want to say, with regard to the last call, another thing, the guy who comes home and plops himself on the sofa and watches TV all night, that's not a fifty to fifty issue. That's a marital problem. I alan, I think we should address that issue on another male female hour. The first. There are many aspects to that. One is the role of television in marriage. My own view is that as a social force, television is ninety five percent destructive if all. In fact, I have an essay in the favorite of my four books, and I love all my four books, like Loving Your Children. I love all, and I do deeply, But my favorite is Think a Second Time. It's forty four essays. One of the essays is things I'd like to see. One of them is that some infection infected television transmitters and caused them to malfunction. I can only imagine good things happening from the demise of television. I remember putting the immorality of a partei aside the obvious immorality of a parte. South Africa had a very interesting social experiment. They allowed television much later than almost any other Western country. Every social index in South Africa declined after television came into the country. Everything possible. It was worse for marriages, it was worse for a crime, it was worse for grades in school, it was worse for kids' relations with parents. Every possible indicator decline. Television is a social disaster and often a marital disaster, although you now have the alternatives, obviously of internet. But I would like to do an hour on my belief that the more time a couple spend together, the better it is for them, which runs against a lot of people's thinking. You need your space. Everybody, you know, this is common parlance now since the sixties, he needs a space, And I believe that. I believe that there's an element of that, But overwhelmingly my experience has been that the more time that couples spend together the better, not the less so I want to do. I want to do, even to the extent of working together. Couples that work together seem to have really worked out a mayor. They become partners in the best sense of the term. You're listening to the Dennis Prager Show, The Male Female Hour, Colorado Springs, Colorado, Gary, Hi, Gary, thank you for calling.
Speaker 4: Hey, didn't how you doing?
Speaker 3: I'm well the fifty to fifty.
Speaker 4: What I've got to deal with is a lot of times some of the women say they want fifty to fifty, but then when it actually comes to it, there's still a difference between men and women. My wife, if we were driving down a street and it's rain and muddy and we have flat tire, and I looked at her and said, I did the dishes last night, you get out.
Speaker 3: Well, that's right.
Speaker 4: We've got in our marriage. We married over twenty years, and there's just certain things we automatically know she's gonna do. We automatically no, I'm gonna do. She works twelve hour shifts, she comes home, mixed dinner, does the dishes. I help with housework and do all that type of stuff too. But when the plumbing goes out and we need to crawl into the house and cut the pipes and stuff. I don't look at her and say, oh, it's your turn to do that. She knows that that's what I'm gonna do.
Speaker 3: That's mine. Yeah. I think that there is a calm that in most marriages, where there is a delineated set of expectations. He does X, I do Y, he does Z, I do A. I think that that is as a general rule. Not only do I think that it brings more of a calm, I also think, and you don't have the counting, I also think that it's calming for another reason. It's then I know what's expected of me. That's it. That's my province. That that's it. I'm I'm the governor of plumbing. That's it. I'm the governor of dishes. It's I think that for most Again, there are always people for whom a general rule does not apply. I acknowledge that. All right, what eight I mean it's giving you the number right now? Is only Pavlovian response. Alrighty, let's go to uh Cleveland, Ohio. John, Hello, John, Dennis Praeger.
Speaker 9: Thank you, Dennis.
Speaker 3: You totally derailed me there.
Speaker 2: I was sitting here pondering what is my core point?
Speaker 6: And I was about to day that.
Speaker 9: It's when my wife expects me to do certain things.
Speaker 5: Uh, when when things go bad.
Speaker 3: Too bannerd he's breaking up there and then on his Cleveland cell phone. All right, we'll be back in a moment, believe it or Now we're up to the final segment. I'll try to take as many of your calls as possible from around the country. You can also email me, and I love reading your email reactions to any of these hours at the Prager Radio or Dennispraguer dot com. You're listening to the Dennis Prager Show.
Speaker 1: This episode of Timeless Wisdom will continue right after this. Now back to more of Dennis Prager's timeless Wisdom.
Speaker 3: You're listening to the Dennis Prager Show the Male Female Hour, and it's a good time to remind you that I have a four CD set out about male sexual nature which has helped a lot a lot of marriages and a lot of girls, teenage girls understand how they come off and understand boys. I commend it to your attention, and it's at Dennispraguer dot com. Prager Radio is everything with the radio and columns in Dennis Prager, is my all of buying CDs from my three hundred on the Bible to whatever else the subject might be. Or eight hundred two two five eighty five eighty four. Call eight hundred two two five eight five eighty four and over to Fort Worth, Texas. Christina. Hi, Christina Dennis Prager.
Speaker 9: Hi, Dennis, thank you so much for taking my call.
Speaker 3: Thanks for calling.
Speaker 9: Your show is an inspiration to me as an individual and to my marriage of eight years.
Speaker 3: Wonderful.
Speaker 2: Hi.
Speaker 9: I just wanted to say that when responsibilities are delegated in a marriage, then they're more completely taken care of. He takes care of this, she takes care of that. Somebody has to be in charge, and if nobody's in charge of particular areas of life, then things often fall through the cracks. And then then you can go into the blame game.
Speaker 3: Yeah, of course, inevitably. All you know, while I took the garbage yesterday, why is it piled up today?
Speaker 9: Exactly exactly.
Speaker 3: But if one person's in charge of garbage, that ends the issue. And men love it, by the way, we love being assigned a task. I'm not kidding. That is our nature. You give a guy, a task, by golly gets done. But if you tell a guy, we'll both share it. And when you feel like doing it, because you're such a loving husband, it's not going to get done.
Speaker 9: Yeah, it's not. And it also provides a wonderful model for raising your children, a model of communication and expectation for you know, teaching them how to live their lives and how to engage in their relationships.
Speaker 3: Yep, well said, Well said, Christina. You have lucky kids. Let's go to let's see here. Sarah, Marietta, California. Sarah, Hi, Dennis Prager, thanks for calling.
Speaker 6: Hi, how are you good?
Speaker 3: Well?
Speaker 6: Thank you for taking my call. I was calling because when I've been married for nine years, I have three children, and when I first got married, the advice that somebody gave me was that one person.
Speaker 3: Oh bubba, that was my fault. What you got. The advice you got was one person.
Speaker 6: What can have a career and one person can have a job.
Speaker 3: Uh huh.
Speaker 6: But you can't both have a career and children because it does not work. And I've graduated law school and I chose to stay home and take care of my children while my husband has the.
Speaker 3: Career and it's worked out, and it's worked out.
Speaker 6: It's worked out for nine years so far, and we have three beautiful children.
Speaker 3: And your brain is not atrophy. That's another subject. Does your brain atrophy if you went to law school and become a homemaker. That's a really good subject. A lot of women fear that it doesn't happen. All right, my friends, this has been the male female hour on the Dennis Prager Show.
Speaker 1: Tomorrow on Timeless Wisdom with Dennis Prager.
Speaker 3: Adam Carolla is my guest.
Speaker 10: Exgo screwed up dessert because I go, what's the difference between a bagel and a Danish?
Speaker 3: And somebody said sugar.
Speaker 10: And they said, okay, well, when we make our desserts, let's just make it all sugar. That'll be the best assert in the world.
Speaker 3: And so they melted down.
Speaker 10: They shaped it in the form of a cacus and they said, this is the greatest dessert ever and everyone went fat, as your people would say, because you need things in the dessert.
Speaker 3: Your people.
Speaker 1: Join us tomorrow to hear more on Timeless Wisdom with Dennis Prigger. This has been Timeless Wisdom with Dennis Prigger. Visit Denisprigger dot com. For thousands of hours off Dennis's lectures, courses, and classic radio programs, and to purchase Dennis Prager's Rational Bibles,