Speaker 1: Welcome to today's podcast sponsored by Hillsdale College, all Things Hilldale Hillsdale dot ed or. I encourage you to take advantage of the many free online courses there, and of course I'll listen to the Hilldale dialogues, all of them at q for Hillsdale dot com or just Google, Apple iTunes and Hilldale Morning Laura and Iman Grace America. I'm give you went on this August eleventh, twenty twenty six. I understand down the line in Dallas, we may have some problems technical problems with our radio broadcast. But welcome to the Sale News Channel, which I hope you turn to every day anyway, and do all of our affiliates across the United States especially want to say hello to our listeners in Oa Claire, Wisconsin on WOGO six eighty I believe that is, and to our they've got a repeater on one O three point one as well. FM. Get out and vote. We cover a lot of Wisconsin out of Chicago, WI and D five sixty and w I in D five point sixty, and we pick up western Wisconsin from Am Toby to the Patriot. So get out there and vote. It's an open primary. Republicans can vote in the Democratic primary if they want. It's a carnival of craziness over there. So I want to start with Francesca Hong, who is the state senator, allegedly leading by double digits. But that's what they said about LSA ED and Michigan. The polls were all broken there, so I'm not you know, if you are in favor of mister Barnes, get out there and vote for mister Barnes. If you're in favor of mister Crowley, get out there and vote for mister Crowley. It's not over till it's over. Francesca Hong, though, was doing the best that she can to put a bullet in her own campaign cut number eight. Francesca Hong earlier.
Speaker 2: Today, I learned then you have some hot takes, sometimes bad takes on Twitter, and I let my feelings out in the world. And right now as governor, what I'm most serious about are the issues that voters are telling me they want solutions for, for permanent affordability, to tax the ultra rich, to make sure we're getting corruption like he is out of politics, to make sure that we're fully funding public schools, and that we're fighting for universal childcare and raising wages.
Speaker 1: Anybody want to guess how many billionaires we have in the United States. I actually went to chetch Ebt to look up these numbers. Okay, ultra rich, that means billionaires, right, and so how many of them have we got? We have a grand total of nine hundred and eighty nine billionaires. They're worth eight trillion dollars. I don't think a lot of them live in Wisconsin. Some of them do. But you're not going to raise a lot of money taxing billionaire. And we have about ten thousand cent to millionaires people are worth one hundred million dollars or more. And we've got about twelve thousand Americans with ten million dollars or more in their retirement accounts. Plus we've got lots of Americans who are multimillionaires because they own a house in the right part of the country and they've owned the house for thirty years. So when you hear Democrats, it's about talking about the taxing the rich. It's either not going to be efficacious, it's not going to work right, it won't raise the revenue that they think it's going to raise. Moreover, they're really talking about you if you own a house. That's what they're talking They're talking about you, if you own a house. She also went on to elaborate on her philosophy. Today cut number nine, Francesca hung again outside of polling place, feeling.
Speaker 2: Stop feeling good like she day is always an exciting day. Have you spoken to yours? I've not spoken to the governor yet quite early. I want to let him have his coffee first.
Speaker 1: Are you concerned though it's been a tough primary? Do you need a united party in November?
Speaker 3: Can you get everybody back on the same team.
Speaker 2: We need an We need a united party. We are ready to unite not just the party, but working class people all across the state to defeat Tom Tiffany in November.
Speaker 4: Do you feel like your policies are the future of the Democratic Party.
Speaker 2: I think our policies are ones that are the solutions to live for working class people, permanent affordability, so we don't come back to moments like these. I think the Democratic Party we are a big tent party. There's always room for better policies and always room for more people.
Speaker 5: Who would you look prepared for this intense pushback that you've received, especially from Republicans framing you as far too extreme for Wisconsin.
Speaker 2: What's extreme is Congressman Tiffany, a longtime DC congressman, has voted against the interests of Wisconsin. It's over and over again. What's extreme is that he's an election denial What's extreme he continues to protect Epstein and pedophiles. What's extreme is that he has voted to help raise gas prices, and they like harder for Wisconsins. I think what people of our state are ready for. The good people of Wisconsin are ready for a government that actually puts them first, not Trump.
Speaker 1: Do you really think the good people of Wisconsin are turned on by the Epstein talking point? I'm always it's just kind of a giveaway that you've got nothing to say if you're talking about Epstein. Meanwhile, Tony Evers, who was the incumbent Democratic governor of Wisconsin, is begging Democrats not to vote for her because she's a nut. And he was out at a polling pace polling place himself cut number ten.
Speaker 3: He has spent with her entire campaign dealing with not with the Issuers, but what's on the Twitter. And I just find that that's not a good way to be Tom Tiffany.
Speaker 1: A good way to win anything is to be online too much, and that's what Francesca is. But it's not over. You can vote till eight o'clock in Wisconsin. Let's go check in on Peggy Flanagan, who is running for Senate in Minnesota. She was on that reliable place for left wing lunatics MS now with Ali bel She cut number thirteen.
Speaker 6: In at July twenty seventh debate. She said, Republicans are going to have a field day with this with you, and it's my responsibility to warn Democratic primary voters that Republicans are dying to run against you because they believe you have a unique vulnerability on fraud.
Speaker 7: Your response, I mean.
Speaker 6: My response to that is that Republicans are running against every Democrat in this race on that issue.
Speaker 1: Not much of a response, but quite a look if you're not watching on Salem News Channel. She got the big, big, big, big big black classes. Now, I've got nothing against black classes. I've worn them my whole life. I started wearing them when my late father in law, Wilberhelmer, said that's what the Marine Corps issued to him when he joined the Marine Corps in nineteen thirty nine or nineteen forty, and it'll warn him ever since. And I thought, you know what, you stick with black glasses the same size. It's kind of easy to go into the optometrist in order. I don't know if that's a fashion statement or not. Can we roll that again in case, I just want to try and get a measurement on it. Let's play Cut number thirteen.
Speaker 6: In at July twenty seventh debates, you said Republicans are gonna have a field day with this with you, he's my responsibility to warn Democratic primary voters that Republicans are dying to run against you because they believe you have a unique vulnerability on fraud.
Speaker 7: Your response, I mean.
Speaker 1: By response to that is that, well we lost it. Were they too big to fit in the frame? Oh well they were big. They were big. Let's go down now. Since we're playing it's the greatest it's of weird Democrats opening James Taller Rico. He's something they think he's gonna win in Texas. Cut number eleven from a stump speech.
Speaker 8: Yeah, time.
Speaker 9: It is time to repeal the Big Ugly Bill's tax cuts for the wealthy.
Speaker 10: And give out one stealing dollars to the clos.
Speaker 1: Okay, that would mean a tax hike on every Texan because the One Big Beautiful Bill took away not only taxes on Social Security, taxes on taxes on overtime. It kept in place the Trump tax cuts from twenty seventeen, which cut taxes for every American in every bracket. So what mister Talla Rica wants to do is raise taxes on every American. Way to go for Texas, he continued, Cut number twelve.
Speaker 9: Trickle down economics is not a theory. It is theft. They have been stealing from all of us who have been doing the actual work in this economy. And for five decades, Republicans and too many Democrats have sold the false gospel of trickle down economics.
Speaker 7: The idea, the idea.
Speaker 9: That the best way to grow the economy is to let the ridge get richer and forget about the rest of us.
Speaker 7: That would be a lie.
Speaker 1: And by the way, trickle down economics is not gospel. It's the talking point adjective given to supply side economics, which boom the country during the Reagan years and boom the country and Trump won and beginning to boom the country again in Trump two because it works when you let people keep their own harder and money and spend it in the way that they want. We're back in America, Hude Hewett. It's been too long since I've talked with Ben and Ben Talabu. He is the senior research fellow at the Foundation for the Defense of Democracies and the director of the Iran Program. Benam welcome back. It's been too long. I want to give you the floor for your assessment of where we stand in the battle with Iran as of today, August eleventh.
Speaker 11: Great to be with you, Hugh, It's always a pleasure listen. I'll keep it short. The President is picking up on a strategy that was actually successful in term one, but he's adding to it something and that's the blockade. So it seems like what's being popularly reported that after the thirteen days of strikes, that after the attempt to open up the straight of horror moves, the president is going to be relying on two pillars, particularly before the midterms. The first is maximum pressure sanctions to put the economic squeeze on the Islamic Republic and to keep it there and escalate it over time, and to make sure that the regime doesn't have the cash on hand for lack of a better world to build back better. And on the second it's the blockade, it's to find a way to kind of physically constrain the regime to make sure that they can't export their most important source of revenue, which is energy from the Persian Gulf, and to be able together on the finance side and the commodity sky to squeeze in this regime to make them have more of a budgetary crisis, and to force them into a position of either surrender, submission, or making mistakes. The only challenge here is that Trump administration should not prepare for failure. They should prepare for success because this will squeeze the regime. The regime is likely going to respond unless we forget. Despite the capability and capacity the Trump administration has taken away in the multiple cycles of violence against the regime this year, this regime feels more confidence because it survives. So even though they have less to actually punch back with, they are more eager to punch back and earlier in the conflict. So as they feel the squeeze, you know, Washington better have a strategy for a way to deal with that squeeze, even though it is popular being called the low key way to deal with this regime before the midterms.
Speaker 1: So benam A lot of questions follow from that. The first one is during Blockade Part one that ended with the MoU that then failed. During that we heard a lot about the storage capacity of the Iranian regime. I've heard nothing about that in Blockade two. Do they have the same infrastructure problem, the same problem with shutting down wells and not being able to restart them that we heard about during Blockade one?
Speaker 11: In my view, yes, But in Blockade one, something that is technically true or physically true may not be politically true for this regime, which is, yes, you can have a storage crisis, Yes you can have an energy crisis, and yes you can even have a budgetary crisis from the infrastructural crisis that follows. But because this is an Islamist Homanist authoritarian regime that is playing to the edge, that believes the stakes are borderline, if not directly existential, the things that might normally constrain and restrain the foreign policy behavior of a normal state are not yet at all in play here. I mean, this regime understands that so long as President Trump is in office, any kind of real you know, more meeting the administration more than halfway could come with a political cost and a security cost, and that's why they're inclined to double down and triple down. And so in the short term, you know, trying to see where the infrastructure will force the regime to sur is a necessary but not sufficient way to understand what the metrics are that will compel the regime to be boxed in. So I'm glad folks are not over focusing on the shortcomings and the challenges in running infrastructure, and instead what they need to focus on is the big picture, the macro economics, the fact that the regime is going to be bleeding and bleeding and bleeding, and how the regime tries to triage the bleeding. There that's when the opportunities arise for umpicle stam. It's not just going to be based in my view, on the infrastructure alone.
Speaker 1: Now, Benham, it's my belief that a regime like this will loot its own people and provided that they can feed the quarter million hiere GC And however, many people are in the besiege that they don't really care about the suffering of their own people. So the inflation can be eighty eight percent overall, one hundred and twenty percent over a year over year in food, and they won't blink. Is that true that they'll basically go to the mattresses and loot their own people wealth just to stay in power.
Speaker 11: Well, unfortunately, it's been true for the past four decades, depending on particularly in what time you're looking at it. It's precisely why the protesters really since two thousand and nine, have targeted the regime's foreign in security policy, because the things the regime prioritizes are the antithesis of the things the nation, the street, the people prioritize. It's why there is such a sharp chasm between state and society in that country. It's perhaps one of the greatest chasms that we see in the Middle East, which is not demographic, it's ideological. It's that you have an Islamist, anti American, anti Israeli government and a nationalist, secular, pro American, pro Israeli society, and these two things are like oil and water. So the regime is only too happy to try to find a way to transfer the cost. But it's kind of already been doing that already. So the challenge for the regime in the short to medium term is how does it manage the budgetary crisis, How does it manage, for example, the subsidy crisis, and how does does it not actually lead to a situation where it finds itself under foreign pressure and domestic pressure at the exact same time. And if you pay attention closely, it's why there was musical chairs just a few days ago in Tehran. They're putting in a new leadership for the besiege. They're trying to show strength militarily. They're trying to have an ideologue greater you could even imagine, an ideological veneer to the world and to the Irobian people to say basically, we're not going to cave and that we can afford to be in the red. That's precisely the message that the new men at the Helm are designed to send.
Speaker 1: So Benam I didn't know. I did note the musical chairs and THEHITI gets a new job and Xyz gets another job. They didn't mention anything about the arteche you're the senior director. Is there a possible division between the ARTECH and the RGDC, the RTEs being the regular military. Is that something we might see and be exploitable in the near term.
Speaker 11: You know, it's something that should be cultivated, particularly because the RTEs is a force that has been really squandered given the inheritance of the Islamic Republic from the pro American Pathlavi dynasty prior to nineteen seventy nine. But institutionally the artees has been weakened and then co opted such that the ARTEESH was even launching some drone attacks on neighboring Kuwait during the early period of the fighting after the Forty Day War and after the MoU collapse, for example. So we shouldn't put all our eggs in the Arteese basket. But something America and in particular the intelligence community really needs to unleash here is the capability to get creative against the Islamic Republic, to play to this selfishness and the opportunism and the desire for self preservation that exists across armed forces across many different authoritarian regimes, and to be able to turn on or ignite a different front based on real sentiment due to real shortcomings like the fact that the RTESCH had been so squandered and deprioritized compared to the revolutionary Successor organization.
Speaker 7: The IRGC is there, and.
Speaker 1: We got a minute to the brain any indication coming out through opposition media of cracks in the regime, benam.
Speaker 11: You know, this is actually where I disagree with the conventional wisdom. Just because there is a loud debate in Iran does not necessarily mean that that is the signal and the fact in my view, that is the noise. My fear is in the short to medium term, what we see from regime elites is actually more cohesion than fracture. It's literally just like something that is calcifying. This system does not bend, it will break though, and we are watching the calcification of a generation of hardline national security elites that aren't from one faction another faction, but are all from within one larger hard line faction. So the intra factional disputes, the intra IRGC disputes, the intra Iran Iraq war veterans, debates among friends and like minded people are much more important than debates among the other factions.
Speaker 1: I will be right back with Ben and Ben Talablue from the Foundation for the Defensive Democracy. We'll talk about pick Action Next. Stay tuned America, Welcome Back America. Ben and Ben Talabou is the Senior Director Senior Fellow at the Foundation for the Defense of Democracies. He's also run the Iran program there. Ben a month ago I talked to President Trump on this program about Pickaxe Mountain said it was time to put a missile in the front door. That didn't happen. How much are you worried about that? Because the President didn't seem to be overly concerned.
Speaker 11: The President is right to have a measure of confidence given the fact that the fisile material, meaning the uranium that has to be further enriched to actually get a bomb, is believed to be under Isfahan and under Natans. But this is a regime that is still in power. It's not a race to a bomb. It's a slow, steady quest for a bomb. And Pickaxe mounted is worrisome for me and a lot of other Iran washers and a lot of other arms controllers and a lot of other non proliferation experts because it could be a future enrichment site and the regime has already said that this is going to be at the very least a centrifuge manufacturing site, and given a that we lost continuity of knowledge and the additional protocol of the IAEA during the Biden administration as early as February twenty twenty one, and b in terms of declared enrichment uranium sites that the President has struck since the Twelve Day War, we haven't had the IE go into those sites. Pickaxe Mountain, which is at least two to three times deeper than four dough and was not struck by the US or Israelis and either of the two military operations. The fact that that could be used to squirrel away uranium, or the fact that could be used as part of some larger breakout effort is very worrisome, and particularly if you zoom out and you look at the trend line of how America and the West's adversaries have been increasingly using subterranean facilities and tunneling to preserve some of their core capabilities. This regime, nuclear and missile hamas, certainly it's Arsenal, the cartels on the southern border their weapons and also their drugs, and certainly the North Koreans their military industrial complex. We're going to have to find a way to either build a bigger bomb or neutralize this facility.
Speaker 1: Okay, last question magazine depth is talked about is a constraint on the American war fighting ability because we lack interceptors. You did the original research paper on magazine depth for the Iranian missile program. How do you assess the Iranian missile magazine depth now after six months of on and off war.
Speaker 11: Well, we have to be incredibly humble when it comes to whatever the base number or the baseline is from which we draw assessments about magazine depth. But what we saw during the Twelve Day War, what we saw during the forty day ward, what we saw with the intermitted skirmishes against the Arab world, and critical infrastructure in US bases. Following that and following the MoU tells me one big bright thing that the Islamic Republic is just as concerned, if not more concerned, with magazine depth than the US is with tea, lambs and interceptors and everything else. And the reason is Iran's defense, industrial base and ballistic missile production infrastructure is largely above ground, and the US largely did real and meaningful damage setting back that production capability several years that doesn't mean they won't be able to regroup and rebuild, particularly if we have sanctions in the blockade and are willing to do interdictions and interceptions, particularly if it comes from states like Russia, China and North Korea for example. But ultimately Iran knows that as much as of its arsenal it's been able to excavate and dig out from bases that were struck, the ability to backfill that which it fires or that which it uses to threaten is significantly limited. And that's why both during both wars you saw the regime engage in large attacks early on and then have that volume essentially trickle down, telling you that they're worried about magazine depth, and the way they've made up for it is to go get better intelligence, particularly we believe from the Russians and the Chinese, potentially gets some better tech making these systems more precise and fire them at more concentrated areas rather than diffuse wider population centers, and this has made their less in terms of quantity, systems still more qualitatively lethal and dangerous, as we saw with the strikes against more of Faxaltic Air Base in Jordan.
Speaker 1: And thank you for your time, Benham. Last question, we got about a minute to go. I have a column in the Examiner Amow proposing that a October surprise by President Trump, meaning return to full scale combat, might actually do a lot of damage to Iran and a lot of political good to the Republican Party. What do you think the impact of an October surprise major return to combat would be in October?
Speaker 11: I certainly think, well, I look forward to reading the article, but I got to tell you, I certainly think it can have a positive impact if it leads to something. You know, it's clear the president is willing to do anything and try anything so long as he can get a real success, real victory here. So if the president wants that, and indeed he's looking to kind of architect in October surprise, the planning needs to begin now about how do you unite all the different tactics that the president has had and make them part of a larger strategy. And we have to know what that is. Is that a deal, is that regime collapse? Is that containment two point zero? What is that ultimate thing, that big picture thing that the president wants? And then it's about aligning the ways means and ends from now ontil October to put us in the winning position in the Islamic Republic at every juncture in the losing position.
Speaker 1: Always good to talk to you, Benham. Thank you so much again. Follow the Foundation for Defensive demoncuss An FDD, follow Benham at Benham ben Talablue on X, and follow everything he says and writes wherever it appears. Thank you, Benham. I'll be right back in America. Stay tuned to the Quent Show. Welcome back America. I'm gu cut please to welcome back Matt Kantnetti. Matt is director of Domestic Policy Studies at the American Enterprise Institution. As you can see from his background, still not lit up yet. I want that diner, look, Matt. He's also the Wall Street Journal Free Expressions columnist. He's also the author of the book The Right, And I'm going to start with that book because it was one hundred year history of the American conservative movement. And man, I've been mean to ask you about this for a lot of time, but we all get sucked into headlines and I will in a moment, but where is that battle for the right today? Do you have to write an appendus to appendiicy to that book and republish it as a paperback.
Speaker 8: Well, I'm pleased to say, Hugh that the book is out in paperback, and it's still in print, so our audience can.
Speaker 12: Check it out there.
Speaker 8: The book goes through in its paperback edition the twenty twenty two election, So there's a lot has happened since, and I do need update it to account for everything up to twenty twenty six, including Trump's miraculous comeback Politically in the twenty twenty four election.
Speaker 12: Where does the battle stand now?
Speaker 8: You know, I think it's along the line that it's been waged for many, many years. There's a group on the right that stands for a fusion of traditional values and free economic competition, free markets, and then there's another group that says, you know, the free enterprise, free markets, those are less important. What really matters are social cohesion, traditional values, the sense that America needs to stand apart from the world, and those two camps have been going at it for some time. What's interesting about Donald Trump is that he in fact, in a way merges the two camps. And he because he's common sense, not conservative, as he often puts it, he can go back and forth toggle between them, and so that's kept this war basically kind of in a ceasefire on the right throughout the Trump era. But the Trump era is entering its final years. I expect the war to resume shortly.
Speaker 1: Let me get your take on burrito gate. That was a weird little battle between traditional conservatives and nat cons Vice President Vance was my guest last week. I asked him, from his position of being the most prominent Catholic in the United States, whether it's you know, appropriate to take shots at Mark Tison over burrito consumption. And he laughed it off, saying, you know, he's taken shots at me. Where's the vice president in this spectrum? Because I really don't think I have him pegged anywhere yet.
Speaker 8: Well, you know, Vice President Vance has been at several points on the spectrum over the course of his career. First as a businessman, in public intellectual he's very critical of Donald Trump and the populism that Donald Trump represents, Maga populism. But then as he moved closer to running for elected office in kind of the Biden years, and it's really adopted this more populist, more traditionalist, less interested in the American engagement in the world, the use of American military power in the world.
Speaker 12: That side of the right. You could call it nat con if you want.
Speaker 8: You could call it a traditional conservative perspective if you'd like.
Speaker 12: But that's kind of where he situated himself.
Speaker 8: However, since becoming the vice president, of course, since joining the ticket with President Trump in twenty twenty four, he is the President's man. He has joined at the hip to Donald Trump and Donald Trump's policies and legacies, and so he has basically been I think a good soldier for President Trump through the first eighteen or so months of this second term, while also I think sometimes signaling that he still does have his own views on foreign policy questions, maybe even on some economic questions that are less mainstream conservative.
Speaker 1: We might say, is he, in your opinion, too online, not enough online, or just the right amount.
Speaker 12: Well, he's a little bit of both.
Speaker 8: I think that he's the first to tell you that he scaled back his online presence beginning sometime I think earlier this year.
Speaker 12: He's kind of re emerged. He throws sharp elbows when he's online.
Speaker 8: That was definitely something that he began doing in that evolution toward adopting Maga populism and then adopting also this more national conservative perspective. I think it helps him when he's less online. I think it helps everyone when we're less online, because I think the social media presents what my friend and colleague John Podhortz calls the Plato's Cave illusion, that you begin to take social media for reality when it is anything but reality. And I think the best measure reality is not social media, but it's what the elected Republicans in Congress are doing and saying. They of course have to answer to the people the House every two years, the Senate every six years, so they're probably the sure sign of what actual Republican voters want their representatives to say and do.
Speaker 1: So we're eighty four days away from the midterms, whatever their result. The presidential campaign in twenty eight begins the week thereafter. That's when Donald Trump announced his campaign in twenty twenty two. I expect Vice President Vance to run, though that's not a given. He's got four small kids. I don't know if anyone wants to do that with four small kids. Who else do you think is more likely than not to join in that race?
Speaker 2: Sure?
Speaker 8: Well, I do expect Vice President Vance to run, though as you say, there's always a caveat with his family. I do expect Senator Ted Cruz of Texas to run. I wouldn't be surprised if Florida Governor Rond De Santis runs, and I want to be surprised if Missus Senator Josh Hawley runs. I think there would be some others in the mix, of course, but those would be the three players that I'd paid most attention to right now, in addition to who I consider the front runner, and that is Vice President Vance.
Speaker 1: So you didn't mention as we speak, they're voting in Wisconsin open primary. I'm on in Wisconsin. If you're a Republican, you want to go make mischief, go vote for Francesca Hang. But in Wisconsin yesterday, Glenn Youngkin was campaigning inside of Tom Tiffany. That's not usually something former governor does unless they still have a hand in the game. What do you think about Governor Youngkin?
Speaker 8: I hadn't seen that, Hugh, thank you for illuminating me as you do every week. I think that's a very revealing stop by former Governor Younkin. I think that that is a sign that maybe he is contemplating a race now. He said that he wouldn't go into the race. If jd Vance is running, maybe that will change. Of course, this is the period when a lot of candidates change their minds about whether they're going to run for president or not. I think Glenn Youngkin would have an interesting part to play in any debate because he does he represents a swing state conservatism. You know, he won in a blue state, Virginia. He did it by championing parents. He governed Virginia very well. He's a popular governor in a blue Republican governor in a blue state. But I think that he would emphasize that more traditional American conservatism, a fusion of social conservatism and economic freedom that we've come to understand in alignment with the Republican Party.
Speaker 12: So all of these different.
Speaker 8: Candidates would come at the race and the job in a different way. Ted Cruz, of course, is being very articulate about how what the dangers he sees to the country and conservatism, really focusing on anti Semitism, talking of course about the tariffs. Being critical of the Trump tariffs, DeSantis can say that he's the most successful governor in the country far, and you can look at how Florida, you know, seems immune to kind of the blue tide in the country right now. And Holly, of course is a dynamic speaker and someone who's also aligned with the nat cons.
Speaker 12: It should be a good race.
Speaker 1: I'll be right back with Matt Connetty. I got another question on politics before we turn to policy. Don't go anywhere America. I'm Hugh Hewitt. Welcome back. Matt Continetti is still with me from the Wall Street Journal. Follow him on EXA CONTINENTI American Enterprise Institute as well. Matt. The actual Rod theory after a two term president is that you look for the different personality, not policy so much. It's give me a different personality. So that George W. Bush, Texan was succeeded by Barack Obama quote cerebral unquote, followed by Donald Trump New York developer, followed by j o'biden, completely opposite of really no personality. Trump is back on the Republican side, whose personality is in the greatest distinct contract to Donald Trump's.
Speaker 8: Of the people you mentioned, yeah, of the candidates we've been talking about you, I'd say probably Glenn Youngkins has the personality that is less like President Trump's. You know, it's interesting, the axe rod theory applies to both parties. It's about, you know, who the country selects as their next president. In primaries, it may break down a little bit. I think Republican voters like Donald Trump's personality. One thing you always hear is that he's a fighter. We've been hearing that for ten years. He doesn't let any slight go unanswered. Sometimes that can distract from his overall message, but it's the quality that I think Republicans have appreciated about him. I also think Republicans have always appreciated Donald Trump's sense of humor. It's a sarcastic sense of humor at times. Sometimes it even goes into kind of dark humor, black humor, you know, but people like the fact that he can make them laugh. And then, you know, the other thing about Donald Trump, which is really kind of unreplicable if you will, is he is a billionaire who has his most devoted support among working class people. People who go work put on a uniform, they work on their feet all day, they don't use a laptop at work very often, and they love Donald Trump. And so those are the three aspects of his personality that actually think a successful candidate would want to replicate, even though Axelrod's ideas that America tends to go for people who are the opposite of the incumbent in a general.
Speaker 1: So one name you didn't mention, and I'll bring it up since the it's a short segment. I would bet Mike Pompeo runs again, the former Secretary of State, former CIA director, former Kansas congressman. If there's a field that at least too, I think they are going to be three and Mike Pompeal will get in. How do you think he fair? Because he is the traditional Reagan strength, peace through strength conservative.
Speaker 8: Yeah, Pompeo is a very interesting Canada A lot of people wanted him to run in twenty four and he did not. You know, he's someone who does draw from has a social conservative, religious conservative background. Of course national security hawks, who are an important part of this party. I think that playing out in debates today, they would support him for sure. And again on the economic policy questions, I don't think he'd be very far from Donald Trump's synthesis of the more economic freedom conservatives along with the more kind of industrial policy tariff conservatives in Maga. So I think with Pompeio, my only concern is he was I'm wondering where his base of support would be because it's been a while since he's been an elected office, and he's he's not gone back to Kansas for any other offices there.
Speaker 12: But I would definitely watch him closely.
Speaker 1: So, Matt, I've been in the debate business for two cycles. I don't expect to be in the debate business this cycle. I expect you to be in the debate business this cycle. And so my question, do you think they'll start early and be often or do you think they will be few and far between, if any at all.
Speaker 12: Well, I can tell you.
Speaker 8: On the Democratic side, I bet you they're going to start very early and there will be a lot of them. On the Republican side, I can't give you an answer because the most important person in the twenty twenty eight election is Donald Trump, and on the Republican primary, everything will depend on what President Trump wants.
Speaker 12: He said just the other week. You recall that it's too early to talk about.
Speaker 8: Twenty twenty eight, and the question is going to be when will President Trump say it's time to talk about twenty twenty eight, and so I actually think that the debates may start a little bit later than we're accustomed to on the Republican side this cycle, simply because Donald Trump is right where he wants to be in that center stage and he's not going to leave stage easily.
Speaker 1: So Man, I put the idea in front of him about my moderating the debates, and he immediately went to the general election. And that's not going to happen the Democrat, but he could if he wanted to put on a show that would get twenty five million people to watch it, his moderating the debate that we had a minute. What do you think of that, Donald Trump moderated debates.
Speaker 8: Oh, it's an excellent idea. I think the Republican candidates would like it. I think he would enjoy it for sure, and that's a way to get him involved in this process of choosing his successors.
Speaker 12: So I'm all for it.
Speaker 8: When you told him about it, I thought it was a fantastic idea, Hugh. Though, of course, he wants the biggest ratings possible, and that's why he immediately said, oh, sure, I'll do it for the general election. You know, though, even though even President Trump admitted that the Democrats probably wouldn't say yes to me.
Speaker 1: No, but I think he You know, we did twenty two to twenty four million in twenty sixteen cycle. If President Trump was the moderator, they'd blow that. They wouldn't get the Super Bowl numbers, but they'd be close. Now we're going to get serious. We're going to talk about the war. Right after the break with Matt Conton that he don't go anywhere America. I'm it, watch you hear it here back with Matt Continenti from the American Enterprise Institute, the Wall Street Journal Vertical. He'll be in the paper again on Friday, and of course he is the author of the right and you can follow him on exit Continetti, Matt I got a piece in the Examiner tomorrow. There are three kinds of wars that Americans have fought since World War Two. Those that were stalemates or losses, and that includes Korea, Vietnam, Afghanistan and Golf two. Those that were wins Granada, Panama, Golf one, and Venezuela. And those like Libya and the Balkans, about which we were not really focused on. I'm not sure if you call him a winner or loss. Where does Iran fit in this category?
Speaker 8: Well, Hugh, I think it's too early to say, mainly because the war has settled into this kind of pattern of you know, ongoing negotiations until we don't have negotiations, no kinetic action until the Iranians begin firing randomly and we respond. But also with the resumption of maximum economic pressure against the Iranian regime and the blockade of Iranian ports by the US Navy. I think at the end of the day, it's those two factors that will be most important here, and it's a matter of time before the economic pain imposed on Iran creates conflicts and distortions within the Iranian regime that could ultimately provide resolution to this conflict. So I guess I hate to disappoint, but I would say, right now the Iran wars just the jury is still out.
Speaker 1: Would you expect an October surprise from President Trump, meaning maximum combat in the weeks leading up to the vote.
Speaker 12: I would not.
Speaker 8: I think everything that President Trump is saying right now is that he wants to go back to his you know, his cruising speed, which is economic pressure. You know, Trump in terms of Kinnecticut. Action has always preferred the dramatic raid, the dramatic punitive strike, midnight hammer, absolute resolve the strike and Costome Solomany back in the first term. An ongoing campaign, I think has always made him uncomfortable, and that is basically what Iran has forced us into. And also Trump has decided he wants to have this kind of ongoing, low intensity conflict in preference to a larger campaign. If anything, I would worry about the Iranians having an October surprise for President Trump resuming violence, resuming strikes on our basis in the Middle East, on our golf allies, in order to prod Trump into a major escalation before the election. It's the Iranians who are, i think, feeling that they're in the driver's seat because right now they don't care about their people. All they care is about is power. And we still haven't reached the point in the blockade, as successful as it's been to where the regime itself is feeling internal tension, internal conflict beginning to actually dissolve.
Speaker 12: That will come, I think, but it's just it's going to take time.
Speaker 1: All they need to do is pay themselves in the besiege and they'll be fine. I want to close with a San Piker because you're a Hassan Piker expert. Obviously, I think El Siad put Hassan Piker on like a Spider Man suit for the primary. I don't think you can get them off now.
Speaker 7: Do you. Oh?
Speaker 8: No? I mean all the clips of l si Ed and Piker together, all of the Piker clips talking about El Sayed much less, all the disgusting Piker clips talking about America, are talking about Israel, talking about anybody he doesn't like. All that is going to be part of Mike Rodgers' campaign in the coming months, and I think it's going to be a big problem for El Sayed, who is you could even see prior to the primary, was trying to run away from the label socialists, even though the socialists support him and he has socialist policies, and now is trying to kind of downplay his relationship with Hassan Piker, who is clearly his most important surrogate during the primary campaign. It's going to be hard for him to run away from Piker. And you know what, he shouldn't be able to.
Speaker 1: He shouldn't and Mike Rodgers is not going to let him if we assume that Piker costs el Sayed the election. And I can't imagine Michigan's a normal place. I went to law school in Michigan. I hate their football team, but it's a nice, normal place. Can you imagine them a lot thing a radical like el Sayed back by an Islamis like Hassan Piker. It just doesn't add up to me. Does that addp to you?
Speaker 8: Well, I can't imagine a lot of things in this world too, and yet I sometimes the world finds a way to surprise me. Or The issue here is democratic partisanship, and you kind of see it even in James Carville's comments after the primary. But first he was saying there's no way I'd be in the same party as these guys. Now he's saying, well, I'll take the Democrat over the Republican any day of the week. And so what worries me about this election in general is that Democrats are far more enthused about voting than Republicans are. And if you have a large enough Democratic base that it's going to the polls and Republicans just aren't very excited, then you could see someone like Abdu al Sayed actually elected to the United States Senate. However, I do think that this particular candidate, because of his radicalism, because of his associations, face a lot of headwinds. And I think now it's up to Mike Rogers to really define l Sied in the minds of Michiganders so that they know that this is not a man who deserves to be elected to the United States Senate to represent Michigan.
Speaker 1: You know, one senator can really scripup the Senate. Last question, Matt he polled elsa Ed did very poorly in black pracincts. That's because I think Hassan Piker has said so many racist things, just outwardly racist thing. Do you think black voters, even in traditionally democratic black voters forget that when it comes time to the general.
Speaker 12: No, I don't think they forget that.
Speaker 8: I also think it's something that we've seen on a lot of racist Hugh, which is that socialism does not appeal to Black voters there did not support Bernie Sanders in great numbers. They did not support Zoorah Mamdani in the Democratic primary.
Speaker 12: For the mayor of New York.
Speaker 8: And here we saw that black voters very reluctant to embrace l sied. This is another opportunity for Rogers to expand his coalition by incorporating independence and disaffected Democrats.
Speaker 12: And he started doing it last week and I thought that was encouraging.
Speaker 8: He needs to do more of it because the only group that socialism appeals to are highly educated, affluent liberal voters. That's who's that that is that socialism, and that that is not what the Old Democratic Party wants to see in office.
Speaker 1: So only appeal to them when they don't have to pay the tab. Matt Continetty, always good talking to you from the AI bunker. I do like that flashing light though, Matt, if you're.
Speaker 12: Getting the lights Hugh lights on Friday, okay.
Speaker 1: Thank you, Matt Contenetty. If you've listened to this program for any length of time, you know I appreciate companies that deliver real value without unnecessary gimmicks. That's why I'm please to recommend Consumer Cellular. They offer reliable NATIONLID coverage, outstanding customer service, and plans that simply makes sense. Right now, you can get a brand new five G phone and an unlimited everything rate plan for fifty nine dollars a month or even less. That's right. Your low monthly price includes your new device and an limited talk, TEXS and data plan with thirty six month easy pay financing. Choose the five G phone that's right for you, and when those thirty six months are up, you own the phone. The company unknown you. Here's an exclusive bonus for my listeners for a limited time, use the promo code Hu fifty and you'll receive an additional fifty dollars off your service. Visit Consumer sailor dot Com slash you today to find the right phone. Enjoy affordable wireless with an unlimited plan for fifty nine dollars a month or less. It's Consumer sailor dot Com slash you and remember to use the promo code Hugh fifty to save an additional fifty dollars.
Speaker 4: Half a century later, Watergate still shapes how Americans view power, scandal and trust. This weekend, the America two to fifty Film series presents Watergate Secrets and Betrayals. Revisit the investigation through archival footage, interviews, and new arguments about what happened. Launch Saturday and Sunday at seven pm. You're an on Salem News Channel.
Speaker 1: Welcome back America. I'm you, Hugh at that music means Lilas is in the house, as in James Lyacs as in Lilacs dot com or James Lilacs dot substack dot com. And it's election day in Minnesota. James, I don't see I voted sticker on your white T shirt. What's up?
Speaker 10: I never have one of those things that just seems very proud, prideful in mind. Lutheran heritage goes against it. I let it be known that I did what I did. I needn't broadcast it to the world. Also, I haven't voted yet, but yes, it is Indeed, it is indeed election day, and I have no doubt as to how it's going to go.
Speaker 7: Well, a little bit of doubt. I guess somehow somewhat.
Speaker 10: Amy Klobasher is going to be the next governor of the state of Minnesota, or the next the next goober looms.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 7: Many things could happen.
Speaker 10: She could be carried off by pterodactyls, but I don't think it's going to happen because she's she's generally liked, and she's not seen as being part of the squad woke madness She's seen as sensible enough for all the sensibilities of the fine Minnesota. So I think she's going to win, and anybody going up against her, good luck.
Speaker 1: You've got a very normal couple of candidates on the Republican side running for Senate, Michelle Tafoya, Tom Wiler. There might even be more. No matter who wins that, they're probably going to be running against your wonderful lieutenant commenter Peggy Flanagan but looks Francesca Han in the eye and says, hold my beer. What do you think about that? Right?
Speaker 10: Well, yeah, now it's fun because you know, everyone the progressives are hammering Andy Craig or Agie Craig because she's insufficiently progressive.
Speaker 7: She's not like Flannagan.
Speaker 10: Flannagan is just out there and Annie but Craig puts out as it's saying, she stood up to Trump.
Speaker 7: I voted to impeach him twice. And that's not enough.
Speaker 10: The idea that people would have the power back to somebody who was in the office during all of the massive fraud is extraordinary. You ought to be slinking off somewhere to the point of Minnesota where there's hardly any Minnesota.
Speaker 7: Left and just be quiet.
Speaker 10: But no, somebody who was practically the you know, the the poster gal for the billions of dollars that we shoveled the fraudsters is probably going to win the primary, which is extremely That says a lot about Minneapolis politics, because Minneapolis politics, as you might well imagine our argument, far more progressive than the rest of the state.
Speaker 7: But yeah, so that's that's good.
Speaker 1: Every now and then Minnesota will blurt out a Republican, you know, Rudy Bosh with the ten polenty Norm Coleman. No, could that happen this year against Peggy Flannagan.
Speaker 7: No, I don't believe it will. I don't believe so. I think the Metro will carry it and the outstate.
Speaker 10: Will just sort of slum to the polls and split it amongst these people and that people, and uh and it's you know, a good, strong consensus candidate.
Speaker 7: This isn't the year for it.
Speaker 10: You would think that it would, given the mismanagement of the state that's gone on under the walls of Flannagan administration, you would think that it would be a layup for a Republican.
Speaker 7: But that's just simply not the case. In the state anymore.
Speaker 1: Okay, talk to me a little bit about your friends next door in Wisconsin and Francesca Han who doesn't like Thanksgiving? What do you think about that?
Speaker 10: Right, Well, she's exactly what the party is going to be turning up again and again and again.
Speaker 7: She takes all of the right boxes.
Speaker 10: She doesn't like Thanksgiving or Valentine's Day or Halloween or any of these other manifestations of Western cultural superiority. She's bipolar, which gives her an advantage because now, if you have some sort of problem like that, you're seeing as much more empathetic.
Speaker 7: To people out there with their own difficulties.
Speaker 10: She's she's the you know DSA liked DSA adjacent She's going to be what the party gives again and again and again again, because there's no mood for moderation.
Speaker 7: There's just simply no no spirit for it.
Speaker 10: So the idea that a sensible cheese eating state like Wisconsin, which does.
Speaker 7: You know, have football team that you can do okay, from time to time.
Speaker 10: I would elect her is again you wonder what's happening to the sensibilities of the Midwest, And the answer is is that the old sensibilities have been leached away by inertia, by inattention, by just letting these people take over and gram a strange, crazy woke of gen The odd thing of it is is that people will vote.
Speaker 7: For somebody who's radical, more radical than they are.
Speaker 10: Because it makes them feel good about themselves. Look, I'm out there on the bleeding edge with politics. And then the people who get in by the narrowest of margins will assume that they have a broad mandate now to completely rewrite everything. Not both sides can be guilty of that, but the DSA in particular is just just salivating with the opportunity to finally remake America as Barack Obama wants.
Speaker 1: So my favorite canidate of the week is l Say, who went in Michigan. He put on a soundpiker like a spidery suit. Do you think he can win in Michigan? And what does that mean if he does.
Speaker 7: Well?
Speaker 10: He can and he absolutely can if you have enough people who are agree with everything you say, and you have enough people who believe that somehow we would be wrong to vote against him, because that would empower the people who have the wrong ideas. You know, there are guys who hate him, but for the wrong reasons. It's like, well, is it the anti Americanism? Is it the being standing next to us on Piker who's a boist who wants the streets to run.
Speaker 7: Blood with the blood of landlords? Is that the right reason to oppose it? No?
Speaker 10: No, the only reason you would oppose him was because of his ethnicity or his religion. So there'll be a lot of people who do that out of guilt, and then you know, we'll see elsewhere in the state. But again, I'm not surprised if every single radical candidate that gets up there is not swept to power but allowed to saunter and gavaut towards it. And that's sort of inability to keep the crazies out, is what's Well, let me.
Speaker 1: Play for you these craziest twenty seconds of anything else say that has said it was uncovered yesterday cut number three.
Speaker 5: Football is very much associated with a you know, particularly masculine and oftentimes toxic, toxically masculine culture, and so much of it was about you wanted to be able to get back up and play for your team, and you you really aren't allowed to show pain or vulnerability.
Speaker 7: That's part of the sport.
Speaker 1: Okay, James Ohis is not football state number one, Texas is football state number two, Florida is football state number three, and Michigan is football state number four. It's a religion. Does he can you win saying it's toxic masculinity? Y, yes you can.
Speaker 10: And when I hear that, I want to channel my inner Tony soprano and just say, whatever happened to Audie Murphy in the strong, silent type.
Speaker 7: The very things that he's cast eating there is toxic.
Speaker 10: They're very things that some people say, Yeah, we need a little bit more of that, we need a little bit less starting out every game with land acknowledgments and being very very sorry that we're having something that requires physicality. It would be ideal, actually if they were just all out in ballet. Who is quoting crows to one another? But it's American culture. What he's doing is he's sort of telling you that the fundamental nature of American culture is wrong, which is what they believe. The whole thing, shot top to bottom, is full of toxic this and toxic that, and toxic.
Speaker 7: Isms which must be expurgated by these very smart people. They're not going to be able to do it. But they'll cause the havoc while they're in.
Speaker 10: So yeah, that's again a remarkable thing to say in a football state.
Speaker 1: It is a football LICs is a place to go for not toxic masculinity, just pure masculinity. Goda, look James LICs dot substack dot com, James LICs dot substack dot com. Tune in on Thursday night to Duane's After Show seven pm in the East, four in the West, and go to lilacs dot com stay tuned to the You Do It Show