Speaker 1: Welcome to Timeless Wisdom with Dennis Prager. Here thousands of hours of Dennis's lectures courses in classic radio programs. Had to purchase Dennisprager's Rational Bibles go to Dennisprager dot com.
Speaker 2: The question was, can I offer any suggestions on coping? Remember we had a list of tensions that life is filled with? Can I offer suggestions on coping with the tension between work and family? One immediate and perhaps most important that comes to mind in a specific recommendation is that there have to be regular.
Speaker 3: Set times that family slash spouse.
Speaker 2: Or better family and or spouse, because sometimes it has to be spouse without family. Oh I wish I had a video camera. Oh God, the way this woman looked at her husband at that moment. She practically pulled most of his left side here hair out of his head, and he's recording it. No less, there has to be set times. I think that women more instinctively know this, which is why it was his hair that was pulled out of hers.
Speaker 3: For family and four spouse and for both.
Speaker 2: As I say, I have learned this and it has been very helpful, whether it be you just if you're a busy man, at the office. Why can't there be lunchtimes with If it's possible to arrange lunchtime with your wife or a wife busy lunchtime with your husband. If the only time you see your spouse is in the family context and then you just fall asleep, it's not going to be very helpful for developing or a relationship with your spouse, and certainly not for any romance. You know, dating has so many advantages over marriage in terms of romance. It's planned, right, you know, you'll go out and nobody. Very few people date five minutes before it's usually you know, what are you doing Saturday night? Okay, so you have all week to prepare for Saturday night in mood, in relaxation and getting the work out of the way, in how you look, in everything, so that that person is the overwhelming object of your attentions. You should try to date a little. I think when you're married, okay, continue dating as it were, having some of those special times together, times with them, times that could be with the family. If I know this in most I can only speak for men better than for women, much better. Most men do not naturally think of the priority of wife and family in terms of time, they say, and with utter sincerity.
Speaker 3: I love my wife, I love.
Speaker 2: My kids, but in terms of time you would never know it. So that I would say, is one area of coping. Now you want to know the coping internal mechanism, because this is a course on happiness, after all, You might argue, Okay, let's say he does that, but doesn't he suffer the tension of the decline in his work, which you are nodding very strongly about, because that's really what's the subtext of your question. I understand that it's not a course on a successful marriage. It's a course on happiness. That is why I am such a big believer in making intellectual philosophic decisions about what is important in life. And you have to make that decision if, in fact, work is so overwhelmingly more important. And I don't condemn anyone for whom it is. I think that you have to strongly consider not marrying or strongly consider not having children until such time as you feel you are ready.
Speaker 3: And a lot of men, by the way, do that. A lot of men want.
Speaker 2: To work their tail off in their twenties to get somewhere to study. They can't, you know, to finally establish a business, and or at least this is the way they may think, and then finally, at certain age they will be able to devote more time to the family. They don't, that's what they think, and then they don't because then once they're established, you have to stay one step ahead of the competition. Well, then you have to answer to yourself, where are your priorities? That's what tensions are about, figuring out priorities. I gave you the example of I was offered years ago a radio show that would go on Friday nights. It was so obvious to me, for religious reasons, that I would not work on a Friday night that it was the end of the issue. Wasn't tempting, I didn't feel terrible. My priorities were clear. The Sabbath is sacrisanc to me. No amount of money, no prestigious position, will enable me to sacrifice it. Which is why I've always related to the Christian runner in Chariots of Fire.
Speaker 3: Who ironically just died of aids.
Speaker 2: I heard the actor himself, but that runner said, gold metal wonderful, but it doesn't compare to the Sabbath. You have to be able to say I want to advance in my career, but not so much that that is it, except for all else. If it is it, you shouldn't be married, or you should be married to someone who is willing to say if indeed there is such a woman on the face of the earth. And I mean with all sincerity, that's fine. This is the most important thing to you. I am absolutely secondary. When you have time from your work, you will see me. I know that as we go into the marriage, she's probably lying through her teeth. She should give her a lie, detect her test. You should take her blood count and see if she is hallucinating. But if she actually is saying that, then all right here and all you've been honest. She's been honest, and so on. By the way, there might be women for whom careers that important is much less less common. And I don't think that that is just the.
Speaker 3: Social I think it is very much part of what is the makeup.
Speaker 2: Of the two sexes. But if it is societal, so fine. It doesn't matter to me which argument prevails. What is important is people have to understand what is important. It is a philosophic decision. That's why I'm a big believer on moral issues and an emotional issues like this that at very calm moments, like a Tuesday night in mid February, people sit down and decide what's important to them. You can't decide it all of a sudden, in the middle of seeing your family fall apart.
Speaker 3: It may be very well too late. You must know at calm moments.
Speaker 2: When I ask high school kids, would you save your dog or a stranger first if both were drowning, their favorite answer is, well, I don't know, you know, how do you know what you'll do in such a moment. It's a real difficult thing to know. I don't know. I love my dog, Okay, I say so. I say you have to decide now while your dog isn't drowning, what are your values? Is your dog, whom you love, more important than the stranger that you don't love. You must decide, when it is calm in life, what is truly important to you, and then live by it. That's why I'm a big believer in the place of the intellect in the arena of happiness. It's not the only thing in happiness, but it's a cool, calm, collected decision. I can tell you this. A rabbi once made a very powerful point. I think on one of my radio shows, he said, when with all the dying men that he has been to visiting in hospitals, he never met one who said on that bed, gee, I wish I spent more time at the office. Okay. It is a very very important point for men to remember, because I know, as well as any man in this room, as well as any man in America, I am very ambitious, I am very devoted to my work, etc.
Speaker 3: And when I get involved, there is nothing else in the world.
Speaker 2: I know that I'm writing an article, or I'm on the phone all day or something, and you know, just everything can drift away, the time just flying, Oh my god. And that is why these are decisions that one has to make intellectually, and then all of a sudden you realize, Okay, su fine, you'll sacrifice, you won't be a partner in the law firm that fast. That is correct, I submit to you. And this was really from last term when I argue that one of the obstacles to happiness is the belief that success makes you happy. If you believe that you have bought, you bought the Brooklyn Bridge, the proverbial bridge, There's a very simple way to prove that, which I elaborated on last term, and that is ask highly successful people if that is what has brought them happiness, and you will find in every instance that I have tried this out, they are If they think it does, then what they're doing is trying to become more successful. They don't stop the acquisitions, don't stop, the bloverage, buyouts, won't stop. They're looking for new companies. Won't stop. They're trying for yet, because once you're a partner in that law firm, what happens. First of all, you still have to go up the list. It's endless. And then let's say you're number one, but there are ten bigger law firms. You've never been successful and successful, my god, look at the people who are getting nominated to the Supreme Court and you're just a partner in a law firm. Look at the ones who are on television and you never got on TV maybe once when they needed to know something about the litigation in your area. It's endless. It's endless, endless, endless. You write books, it's not a bestseller. What's so great? Don't you see? I realized this? Thank God, Thank God. I realized this at a young age. I got published very young, and boy, the thought of being published by Simon and Schuster.
Speaker 3: It was exciting for a day. Third day what became all was important.
Speaker 2: Then I started realizing it's quicksand success is clicksand because once it was published by Simon and Schuster. The next thing was, how come they're not advertising our book. It's dying. It's dying at Simon and Schuster. We haven't seen it was just true to this day the book was published. First book was published fifteen years ago. Simon and Schusters never taken out of single ad. Okay, so I could spend my that I never took out an ad. Forget it. It's unbelievable. We're finished, and then it's endless. Then you get we get an advance on the next book, Simon and Schuster in advance. But then we find out another guy got so much more in advance it made us look like nothing's he's in the meantime thinking he's a nothing because he heard what Mitchener got for in advance, and Mitchner gets in advance just by saying, let me look at the globe, uh Caribbean ten million dollars Caribbean sould to Mitchner. That's all he has to do. The rest of us we have to pour over. I submit a book, I'm lucky if it gets ten thousand dollars after I submit the book. Finally, on the third book, they only needed a long outline, which took me half the time it would take to write a book to write that for shrinken outline, I should have written the book in that time. But don't you see it's endless. It's endless. I seem to somebody to be very successful. I could show you twenty areas where there were people twenty times more successful than I. It's endless, endless. When a man realizes, and I'm just addressing if there are women who were caught on this, it's obviously just as true. But it's a man asking. It's usually a man's problem, and it's usually a woman's problem. Married to such a man, I say to you, it's Quicksand because you can become partner in the firm, you can become CEO and what so on that day you'll be happy when you're CEO. Then you'll spend lunches with your wife. Right? Is that? By at least, by the way, if that were true, at least if you even made that that thou honey, as soon as I am a partner daily lunch, okay, at least she knows he becomes a partner. It ends now if you believe that. However, he too should have his blood checked and this and a lie detective, because he's lying through his feet even though he thinks he's sincere. That is the beauty of Hillel's doc doctrine. Hillel, who was asked to summarize everything that he may on Eli meele. If I am not for me, who will be for me? He loves me money? But if I am only for me, then what am I? And then the third part seems to be a nonsequitur. And if not now being loach shave tai, If not now, then when why does that have to do with? If I am not for me, who will be? And if I am only for me, then what am I? That's the whole point. If not now, when if you know it' stop having lunches with your wife now or breakfast or dinners, or if you don't start taking your kids out and having time with it, why are you going to do it when they're thirty, and they don't want to look at your face. Now, that is why that rabbi's comment had an impact. And by the way, these words are addressed as much to me as to any of you. These are tough things to assimilate, but they're critical critical. On the other hand, women remember one thing. It's very important. You don't want a man who isn't ambitious. Most women don't want a man who does not want to be successful in his career because he's not radiating what is a very attractive thing to a woman. A nest fielder, a protector strength, even wants her name. Who's the famous woman television anchor television Barbara Walters? Barbara Walters is about as successful as you can get in her field, right, but she wanted someone richer than her. It is classic. It was classic. They're I got four men in America who fit that bill. She married one of them. She wouldn't give me the time of day. Barbara, very very important that women want that in men, and women remember that too. That's part of what makes your husband lovable is that he is a go get or he is a hustler. You wouldn't want a guy's honey, I love to rump in bed every day with you. The hell with the office. Let's just hug sounds good for a day. Okay, that's important for women to remember that too, Chris. This is a trait that makes men men it wanting to wanting to go out in the outer world and conquer.
Speaker 3: So that's a classic tensions attention that a woman has.
Speaker 2: Either visa VI herself or visa her husband as well, knowing how much in each direction. That's why I say life is filled with these tensions. So a very long answer to a very good and short question, take one more before I go on, Yes, with the goal in mind of raising a child to be an adult, because we spoke about that. Remember, you're not raising just a ten year old. You are raising a thirty year old. And as I think I put it to you, remember we are far more adults than children in our lives, and it is very important. Well, it's a good question. What are the specific things. I'd have to work that out and come back with an answer to you, because I don't want to answer off the top of my head only only to give you some quick reflections. Because I'm going to write that down okay, well, for one thing. There are two areas that come to mind immediately. One is emotional stability, giving a child what the child needs emotionally. But which is I think obvious. I'm not saying parents do it well, but at least it's obvious, that's well known. I think the less lot, the less obvious parts are for some tougher and that is teaching, raising the child to become an independent human being, to become self reliant. It's very interesting in the Talmud. I just don't remember all the things it says. If a father is obligated to teach a child the following, and one of them is to swim. I mean, it's really it's funny. You know, it's got Talmud. You know, it's got all the you know, it's got all the religious things, and then to swim. Maybe that's part of Jews thinking, because they'll always have to flee up a grum. Unfortunately, I was so thought that that might be an underlying element. But in any event, it is the more you could teach a child to be self reliant. Don't spoil a child, because then there'll be a spoiled adult. That's a very important area. Have a child do things as as a child that ring self esteem. You know, we all speak about inculcating self esteem in children, but you're telling your child you're wonderful, You're wonderful, You're wonderful. As important as that is, doesn't do as much as the child thinking I'm wonderful for doing things that are wonderful. It's a very important, very important part here. Self esteem comes from peers, self esteem comes from self self esteem comes from parents.
Speaker 3: Self esteem comes from society.
Speaker 2: So I would develop whatever trait you know how the best answer is is really the most honest answer to you. Whatever you think is important in an adult, try to start developing in your child. That's the good part of being an adult. If you look into yourself. Why is it about me or another adult that I know that I think is important to have as an adult. Am I working in any way to inculcate those things in my child? That is why I mean for me personally, we all have our Maybe idiosyncracies is a good word, bad word, I don't know, but for me I know that it's it's I think it's very important for people not to complain a lot, and it's just it's I like inculcating in children gratitude rather than kvetching, Gee, why don't I have this dress? Why don't I have this thing? Why don't I have this Nintendo? I mean, you know, my son tells me my son has six Nintendo games? Six for gods? Is that a joke? Including the mutant Ninja Turtles? Okay, I just want you to know that. Do you know, Uh, he came home. I think he has a friend and is this right? Who has forty? My son feels deprived. He has six Nintendos and he feels deprived because Yitzkock or whatever his name is, has forty forty. The guys he has a lending library. For God's sake, he could really he could make money, gets hug on just renting out Nintendo games. I don't want my son to complain about that. If you walk around life, it's an early age that I want him to know what an adult can do, because we don't do that with Nintendo's. We do it with cars, We do it with husbands. We do it with wives. Look at this wife, Look at that husband. Look at those kids. Look at the house, look at their vacations, look at their bank book. He does it with Nintendo's that's all. It's the only difference. It's good to start. You got six, be happy with six. That's the key. That's one of the so I really I don't even think I have to come back with an answer except to say to you what you value an adult, inculcate early in children, lovingly, and so on. But still, that is why it's worth knowing. What are the traits that make for a happy adult. That's why this stuff is important. That's why I believe, both when I teach Judaism and when I teach these courses, that it's more important to talk to adults. Very frequently when I go around the country lecturing, people say, oh, if you only could have talked to the kids. Well, let me tell you something. Last week I gave a talk in one of one of the southern states to at a university. I talked to college kids. The next night I talked to adults. The second lecture was more valuable. You can change an adult in a lecture. You can't change a kid in a lecture. Adults are deeper, more mature, more rational. An adult here's a convincing idea, and they say, yeah, that's what I should do not kids, generally speaking, an exceptional kid, Mike, I know this. It took a month to touch a kid daily immersion in Judaism, a month when I was director of the Brandeispardin Institute and we had college sessions. On the other hand, I get letters all the time from people who read one article you know what, great arguments for keeping kosher I'm going to start. It would never happen in one lecture to a college kid. Okay, that is why it's important to talk to adults. Adults know what's important. They start inculcating that in the in the kids as early as possible. Ladies and gentlemen. Last week there were in the last two weeks, there have been two themes that I have been working on. One is enjoy Life. The other is which we began near the end of death. I'm going to go back to depth and in depth develop depth. The first I want to give you two very quick recommendations on the enjoy under the enjoy life heading that we have been talking about. Actually it's really they're very much related and maybe not even two separates things. I actually owe this to my mother in law, who I promised to cite in the book. It's a small point, but a very but one that without having read it in a letter that she wrote to my wife and me, I would not have been as aware of. It is critical in life to have something to look forward to. Have it is the only only is too strong, but nearly only, almost insoluble. Depression could come in life when there was nothing to look forward to, when there is no possible light at the end of the tunnel, except obviously you're on your deathbed. But people make peace with dying. Most people do, most healthy people do. And there you try to look back towards a life of having done things. And I'm going to talk about the deathbed as a source of happiness in life. Oddly enough, I don't mean it makes you happy, but thinking of in those terms having a good effect on you. But having something to look forward to is very important. We can somehow deal with just about anything if we know that there is something to look forward to. I think that that is important that you have that in life. For example, of vacation, it is really possible to endure a lot of months of work if you know, well, in July or in January, whatever, it'll be you're going to go on a vacation. That's why vacations are very important. People perceive that, But the funny part is half of its importance is the anticipation, and true about a lot of the fun things of life. Half of the joy is truly the anticipation. You tell your kids you're going to take them to magic Mountain, and they are looking forward to magic Mountain, and the looking forward to it is just as good, sometimes better than actually being there. So it is something to keep in mind for yourself. To have for yourself, what do you really enjoy to do and look forward to and try to incorporate that into your life. In that regard, related, I also believe in another little thing to get through life's tribulations, and that is little rewards. They don't have to be big, but it is good to have rewards, unless you're an ascetic, in which case your reward is your deprivation. But I'm speaking to primarily a Jewish crowd, and a Jewish asthetic is an oxymoron. So in this regard, I would say to you that having little rewards for yourself, and it's important that they be little, because if you make them huge, it can become addictive. But for example, you know it. Most people like to buy themselves something, and a lot of people like to buy themselves a lot of things.
Speaker 3: Some people can stop buying themselves things.
Speaker 2: But I would recommend to you to have to try to have that ability as a reward to yourself after something.
Speaker 3: Painful that you have to do is done.
Speaker 2: For example, I get myself and for everyone that it will be it'll seem trivial. But life is composed of these of these little details. It is a pain to put out an issue of my newsletter, and every way possible. The writing is painful, the editing is doubly painful. The type setting is painful, the mailing is painful. It's all painful. But there are two rewards after it. One is the issue. But that's not enough. I am not that wonderful. I get myself something at the end. I'll either get a couple of compact discs or I'll get myself a pipe. I know this is a scandal to some of you. I understand it's only for a collection. God forbid. I would never think of smoking it. I just like to look at them. I already lost listeners on my radio show for admitting I'm a pipe smoker, So why should I alienate you too? The only state on earth where you alienate people by saying smoke a pipe. Be that as it may. I get myself something. I think that women after, if who work, should do the same thing. But let's say a woman is at home. There is nothing more relentless than housework. Nothing, There's nothing men do that compares in its none satisfaction. I am convinced even if he puts pencil erasers on pencil in a factory, that compares to running a house because to the moment you have done the dishes, they are then re dirtied. He doesn't have that. When I have an issue out, it's out. It's not nobody. They don't put it in a shredder and I have to write it again. But women have that. Or your kid, you finally the kid is puked and the kid is diarrhea, and you were finally cleaned it. Then puke's again. That's it. And who appreciates it? Does your husband come and said, oh my God, he puke Christ Like, I don't know what to say to you God. And even if he does, it doesn't quite in your mind. In our rival what he just did at the store, at the law firm, or in his business. Women in particular, believe it or not, because men's work is it often has built in rewards, as my issue would have as winning a case as selling more widgets, work by death, as a farmer has a pharmacy is the wheat. But women don't have that. They have it when the kid is twenty, after all of the puking and all the screaming and all the yelling and everything, then they look and they see it twenty and just as they can enjoy it, they leave. Men don't have that. They enjoy their way. It's still there. The widgets are sold, you get something, all this work on the kids, and then they leave and rarely thank you, and then don't call. So it is no I beg men here to understand what women who do run a home have to deal with that. You know, when I hear men and I admit that these are all things I had to learn. These are not wisdoms that came to me naturally as a young man, believe me. But when I hear men today romanticize raising children, romanticize being a homemaker, I want to punch them. I have one question to ask him, did you ever do it for a week. If you did it for a week and still feel that way, at least you have some credibility. But if you haven't done it for more than a day. When your wife got the grip one day and couldn't do it, and you went bananas or ordered in all the food and used paper dishes, paper cups, paper underwear, paper clothing in a paper house, that's very different. That's not what she does. Men have to appreciate this fact. It is a relentless task without immediate rewards. The rewards are so far down the line and then very ephemeral, because, as I say, the best reward a mother could have as a child who becomes independent of her. That's the joke. I mean, you know, so why do you say then? Look? I mean, look, there is some satisfaction, but your satisfaction is not the same as other ones that are more immediate and permanent within your geographical surroundings. So I believe that it is important to reward ourselves. What you want to try to do is to do it after a painful task that you had to do. So why if you're dieting? I know, good diets tell you you have to do every so often cheat or you will go mad. You will absolutely go mad. And that is why, By the way, I don't want to make a big deal about this, but that is why I am a believer in having certain joys in life, even if there is if they are not absolutely safe. Is there some possibility I will get lip cancer? Yes, there is. I don't know anybody who ever did. Millions of people of smoke pipes. I don't know anybody who did. I'm sure it's a possibility. It's a possibility I will die in a car crash, is fact. That's a greater possibility than lip cancer. I am willing to take the risk for the pleasure of my pipe. I'm not willing to take a risk with cigarette smoking where the risk is simply high. I don't live to be healthy. I really do live partially to enjoy life. I want to you understand very it's a philosophic thing that you have to you have to do if you can get away with smoking two cigarettes a day, smoke two cigarettes a day. Most people can't. Most people. It just builds and it builds and it builds. If you love something and it isn't the healthiest, and there is nothing lovable that is healthy. I mean, do you understand, I mean, how many people I'll reward myself today? I'll have a carrot? Right? I mean, it doesn't happen after a hard day sealery. It doesn't work. It doesn't work. You know what particularly is for you? Is it another pair of shoes? I'm dead serious, Try, however, not to have it that you only enjoy two hundred dollars shoes. No, no, no, that's where none of that's very important. That's the key. And believe me, the irony is if shopping is a real pleasure for you.
Speaker 3: And you can't curb it entirely and shouldn't buy the way, what.
Speaker 2: You should at least do is get satisfaction from the cheaper stuff. Most shopping satisfaction is from the shopping, not the amount. Remember that a cheap pair of shoes is as fun to buy as an expensive pair of shoes for most people. If unless unless you know Emmelde Maco's aside for a minute, no no, no, what is a very important thing to know that. I mean, if you only buy a few pair a year, and for them, it's not the shopping. It's the utilitary value. You want a good pair of shoes, fine, that's different. But if it's just the act of shopping, please know that that is the pleasure. And I relate to that. I've always said depression goes shopping. It helps I do. I relate to that. The trick is, though I don't go out and buy expensive stuff. At that point, it's fun, you know, just go out and keep your tastes in a certain arena. And I think that that is very helpful. Now we've spoken a lot about that. I want to get to develop the point about depth. I said to you last week you should seek depth more than you should seek happiness, and you will be a happier human being. The only way, however, for that to work, is for you to truly.
Speaker 3: Believe that depth is more important than happiness.
Speaker 2: Did I elaborate on this last week that you can't fool yourself. You can't say'll be deep because I really want to be happy? Good? Okay, So you know that I'm going to prove it to you. Did I give you the example of the retarded child? Now as an example. A philosopher wrote recently to make the point of depth is more important than happiness. I read it recently. Let us say you knew it a person, a child fifteen year old who is somewhat mentally retarded and quite happy, which by the way, is quite possible, and a drug was in fact invented to undo the retardation, enabling the child to lead a normal life and by definition be less happy. I suspect ninety nine percent of us would give the child a drug. That was a great example to my mind to prove that virtually every one of us us really does prefer depth to happiness. If you could be happy and less fully human, you would opt to be fully human and less happy. I don't remember the philosopher who said it, but he said, why does it? I rather be a dissatisfied Socrates than a satisfied pig. That's the point I would rather. That is why I began this whole course by saying, if you think of happiness entirely in terms of feelings, then you should envy animals. Your dog that I could say, for as a given, knowing this audience, to the extent that I know any socioeconomic group, your dog is almost constantly happy. Your dog veers between regular happy and ecstasy. Okay, ours ours does, except when you know hospa schellum heaven. For fen we put her in a kennel, but that is very rare, and we have very deep guilt, and we get unhappier than she, and then it's a whole vicious cycle, and then we're angry at her for making us guilty. And anyway, otherwise, your dog is very happy. Would you like to be a dog? Time is better to be a dog than it than it was to be a human in Auschwitz. But you're not an Auschwitz. You have normal human miseries, not abnormal human miseries. And on the human level, I give you the example of retardation versus normalcy, with lesser happiness attributed to normalcy. For my life, there's just no question. Depth is number one, number one, whatever it will bring in its wake many people, and in America in particular, well I take that back. Many people Americans have a specific way of doing this, but in my travels I've seen more primitive ways. I would say that a vast majority of people live life to get through it. And there's a simple proof. What do you do when you don't have to work? That is the litmus test to whether or not depth is important to you. What do you do when you don't have to work? In many parts of the world, people spend hours a day playing cards. In when I was on the island of Bali, I saw men spend good parts of their days at cockfights, betting at cock fights. In America's television, sports and television, it's very good indicator. What do you do when you don't have to work? Tells you how important growing And that was the term we used last week growing is to you.
Speaker 3: For most Americans it is not important.
Speaker 2: That is why it is. I mean, just to give very immediate example, the number of excellent courses at this university for adults is absolutely It's like a candy store for the brain.
Speaker 3: The average course has fifteen students.
Speaker 2: The vast majority of people of the same backgrounds are at home and a what are they doing at home? Watching television? Watching television is the single most non growth activity a human can engage in. I have said on radio, and I believe it. You would get deeper watching a lima bean plant than watching television, because at least as you looked at the plant, you would think it is spoon fed. You know what it is. It is Nintendo for adults television, just as I try to wean my son away with seven from Nintendo and have limits on how much he could sit and have people, you know, gobble each other up and warp onto a third level. But why is that any different from ninety nine percent of the television that we have, And ladies and gentlemen I include in particular the news. Do not fool yourself into thinking, well, I don't watch TV, I only watch the news. You are as much nintendoized as anybody who watches the Wheel of Fortune. The only difference is they don't claim that they're growing you do. They are more honest the watchers of Wheel of Fortune. They know it's strictly for the entertainment, and I will prove to you it is strictly entertainment. If you videoed tonight's news, you wouldn't give a damn to watch it tomorrow, but you would read tomorrow today's newspaper tomorrow. Indeed, with a good newspaper, you would read it next week. Indeed, with the New York Times, America's best newspaper by far, you would read it a month later. It's challenges, it has depth, and I don't agree with its political positions. So you understand I'm hardly here to advocate a newspaper. That's why I am passionate on the issue of television. It is cockfighting, it is cards playing. It is the modern form of that dreadful phrase killing time. Killing time means I don't I am waiting to drop dead work to make a living. And when I don't have to work, I kill time. I will sit back to be entertained. It's a tough litmus test for people. What do you do when you don't have to do your work? But that's the best way I can phrase to you how important it is to get deeper. By the way, let me give you a phrase here from telling you to tractate ethics of the fathers, that is very helpful, call kaloka. All beginnings are difficult. It is very hard to start on a lifetime program of getting deeper. All beginnings are difficult. It gets much easier as you go on, much easier, my friends, if you embark on what I now ask you, I promise you in ninety percent of the I know what will happen. I ask you to cut in half or simply drop television watching for a month. If you feel you'll miss something important, there's a great device. It's called the video cassette recorder. I don't mean that at all flippantly. If there's something you're dying to see, record it sixty minutes will be just as relevant or irrelevant a month from now. It's not timely. It's irrelevant as you know. They made it three months ago. Anyway, they're only airing it next Sunday night. Whatever it might be. By the way, I don't mind it all. If you have a favorite stupid show. In fact, that to me is just as valid by far. You have a sitcom you like, you know it's a name. What's wrong? Nothing wrong with having pleasure? Absolutely video that too. Do you know that you could send your video to come on the same time each week for four weeks, maybe two weeks in your case, or if you're really in the underclass, six days. I'm telling you give it a try, and here's what to do instead. Read Read even if they are even if you're only in the beginning reading pop novels. There is infinitely more brain usage in reading an Erica Jong novel than there is in watching the news and I'm trying to take the extremes.
Speaker 3: Start a course in something, pick up a language.
Speaker 2: I bet every one of you has been outside of the United States, and if you've been to a foreign speaking country, didn't you have? Can you imagine what would be like if I could speak the language triath trith. Some of you are gifted linguistically, others or not, but every one of you can make headway. The Romance languages are easier than the German, the Dramatic, or easier than the Slavic. The Slavic are easier than the Oriental. And it goes like that. Try something. Imagine any of you who are religiously incline, if you're a Jew, to actually see the things in Hebrew, what a lift it would give you, Or if you're a Christian to see the New Testament in Greek. Do you know there are only twenty two letters in Hebrew? Just twenty two letters? Do you know? When I studied Russian as an undergraduate in college, we came in on a Monday. We were told that on Wednesday we would have a quiz on the entire Russian alphabet, which is thirty two letters. There were a big deal. Now it's actually easier than Hebrew because they were all different, whereas half of the Russian alphabet is the same, though unfortunately a lot of those that are the same are different.
Speaker 3: And H is and N if he is in r they go a little crazy, but.
Speaker 2: A big deal. Chinese doesn't work that way, Arabic doesn't work that way. But there is so much And I told you this last week. Find something, just do it instead of television. You have so much time, look at taking this course, but there were so many other things like this available. You Look where you are, My god, I'm not speaking to people in the middle of a tiny rural place where the only event in the city may be bingo and you have to travel miles to hear a string quartet. Take up something, that is if you want to be deeper. But remember I challenged you with this comment. If you find people boring, and I especially say this to singles who date, remember they may be saying the same thing about you after the date. Very important. What makes people interesting is depth. This would become very meaningful to you. It is one of the reasons that this society so does not value old age.
Speaker 3: And so regards getting older as getting unhappier.
Speaker 2: For those to those who value depth and see that as the greatest source of pleasure in many ways in life getting older without romanticizing getting older with the physical ailments that may accompany it. But in many instances, and increasingly in America, that is not the case until very very old age, which is advancing that whatever very very old is becomes a decade more every twenty years or so now, but in America, not valuing it. There is nothing good about getting older. Everything we value is fun oriented. Everyone wants to be happy. It's a very simple equation. Happiness for most in our society equals fund more. Fun is associated with being young. By the way, if they ever show happy older people, they're having fun, right, Oh good, all the golf they can play, like, isn't that terrific? Oh my god? That is what is worth getting older for. I could play golf every day, not just on weekends. For this I live. But this is the truth. You graduate from television to golf, that is what That is the American dream. If you value depth, getting older has an incredibly good thing. You've had more time to do, and then you really do get deeper. Once you start, you keep digging and you get deeper. It's one of the best parts. When I think of getting older, I think that I'll have more clarity. That gives me a very great calm about getting older. The interest that I've always had, I've never been, in any event, wonderful to have when you're young. I've been very lucky in this regard since I have always been. I've always gravitated towards towards death. I don't know why. It's probably half luck and half parents and half tradition and half god knows what, well, whatever it might be, that was three halves I recognize, but I was all the things that motivated me, which set me apart very much from my own generation. I remember the looks I got from friends at college when they would.
Speaker 3: Go Puerto Rico during winter break.
Speaker 2: And I go to Bulgaria, which is exactly why what happened. They lie in the sun and I would be living with a family, which is exactly what I did in Sophia, Bulgaria, or in Lublin, Poland, or in Budapest, Hungary.
Speaker 3: And believe me, theirs was more pleasurable.
Speaker 2: It wasn't all fun traveling to the sixty five countries. I went most of them alone. But wow, what I have from it. Of course, I'm happier for it, and what I mean, what it has given me in later life. It's just been more worthwhile than three PhDs. I was very lucky. This is something to cultivate in a child. A depth is more important than fun. There's something if you can value something as an adult, there is an example of something to try to impulcate in a child. That is By the way, I'm sorry that I will be coming to this topic more frequently in the last four sessions, but it is one of the reasons, quite aside from theological beliefs, that I am so pro religion. If I know nothing about a about two people, I only know one is religious and one is completely irreligious, I assume the religious one is deeper. I don't assume he's kinder necessarily. I don't assume he's more successful or anything else. But I do assume that because religion all things being equal.
Speaker 3: Of course, there are some superficial religious human beings.
Speaker 2: Of course, but all things being equal, religion asks deep questions, makes deep demands. Is a is a flirtation with the eternal that the rest of the secular stuff is not. And you know that because if you ever really want the deepest of deep answers, you start to think in religious terms, or speaking to someone if you know who is religious, or going to a rabbi, a priest, or a minister who may be much less intelligent than you in brain matter, but you know has been spending a life asking certain types of questions. I finally had to make peace with the fact that, by absolute, no design whatsoever, nearly every single friend of ours turns out to be religious, Mormon, Christian, Catholic, doesn't matter. I was invited to a Muslim's home in Los Angeles. We have so little in common in so many areas, and in some ways great tension.
Speaker 3: But the questions were similar, the concerns.
Speaker 2: The reactions to life. It asks deeper stuff. So I end this portion of the course with an affirmation of the pursuit of death.
Speaker 3: If you like pop music, give classical a chance.
Speaker 2: It's deeper. My attitude, I told you my attitude is I have always envied people who had a joy that I wasn't having. When I would see people shaking just loving the Beethoven quartets, I knew all I give it another chance, even though to this day I don't really like Beethoven's quartets. But I'm told my music lovers, Dennis, if you really plug at it, you don't know the richness of the late quartets. So I'm plugging, And let me tell you, Frank Sinatra songs are much more immediately satisfying pop music, movie themes are much more immediately appealing. One of the things about depth is that it's not immediate. By definition, It's not immediately appealing. It's worth making the effort. The news is immediately appealing, it's in living color, it's got action video, and it's superficial in the extreme, because they will still be reading the great novels one hundred years from now. But except for people who pursue trivia of the twentieth century, who's gonna watch Dan Rathern and think of the time you've spent with him or Peter Jennings or Tom Brokaw.
Speaker 3: That's the point. Seek the deeper stuff.
Speaker 2: It works.
Speaker 3: It works now.
Speaker 2: Onto a new subject. One of the uh if there will be anything unique in my book, I think this will be one of the things in all the books on happiness that I have seen. I have not seen are very strong. I haven't even seen a mild argument made for the following. Goodness is a quality that is instrumental to being happy. Overwhelmingly the argument for being good is made on moral grounds, but it becomes a tautology.
Speaker 3: You should be moral because it's moral, which I believe.
Speaker 2: Obviously, you should be good to people because I value goodness. But it's a course on happiness. It's a book on happiness, ladies and gentlemen. I make an audacious claim. All things being equal, that's important. I can't take into count every individual will consideration. Goodness brings much more happiness, much more than selfishness. There are a few reasons for this. One of them is so obvious that it probably would elude you if I asked you to write why you think it would be true? And that is this. Generally speaking, good people get treated more good. I will prove it to you. I have known men who are not terribly honest in their business dealings. In fact, where somewhat thugs, white color thugs, not not of you know, not of the variety. They weren't counterfeiting fitting twenty dollar bills, but they would cheat if they could get away with it. They cheated. I've known them, and one of the incredibly consistent traits they have had is that they were convinced that everybody is out to cheat them. The reward of being a cheat is that you think everybody treats you just like you treat them. Honest people do not walk around thinking, who's cheating me?
Speaker 3: He's don't forget me. He don't keep your hands in your pocket.
Speaker 2: It's not necessary and it's not naivete. It's not necessary to hold that, but it is. It is a remarkable thing. I am convinced that the bad do sleep worse at night, all things being equal, all things being equal, if you have insomnia for physiological reasons, I can't account for that. If you have terrible problems with your children and you're a good person, then you're not sleeping because of the problems with the children. That's all understood. It's why I say all things being equal. But it is very important to understand this idea. And I don't mean it in a calm sense. What you do comes back to you. It's too mystical for me. Even though I do believe that, I don't believe it mystically. I believe it. In reality, it generally happens. It's like telling a lie. Telling a lie has a horrible effect because you have to remember the law you told. I would love to pour into the brains of honest people and into the brains of liars. It would be like one is a polluted brain and the other one is pristine clear. You remember the law you told, then you have to remember how you told it in all the things about it, And then you have to lie again, probably because there was a detail there that you've forgotten. You have to lie on and so on and so on and so on so forth. It's true in business, it is true in any area of life. I am convinced that while at any given time the bad way may be more immediately rewarding you, after all your cheat on the test, you may get into a better place in the long run. I think the argument for goodness on happiness grounds prevails in the long run, though it does not work at any given moment. You know, parents call me up on the station, and I get this not infrequently. How you keep talking about goodness, Dennis? How can we tell our kids to be honest when it's a dog eat dog rat race out there? Well, I don't agree with that approach you teach your children. There are people out there who would try to skin you a that is true, but you are obligated to be better. And yes, in some cases it will be in that immediate moment to your disadvantage. That is true, but you will have benefit number two. Benefit Number one was you get treated in returned. Okay, and I think we can all vouch for that in our lives. By the way, some will say, well, I'm good and people are always stepping over me. Well, I always find that to be an interesting thing. The good people I know haven't been stepped on. If you're stepped on, that may be another problem. But it is not your goodness that is causing you to be stepped on. It might be your naivete about people. It might be foolish decisions that you have made. I mean, you could be a good person, but it doesn't mean that you still walk in certain neighborhoods at two am whistling the Ku Klux Klan theme. Okay, it is not a good idea, and so on. I mean, do not ask for trouble if it is or if trouble is what you will get, and so on. I don't you know. I don't suggest these things, so I don't accept this. I'm good and so I am stepped on. I don't believe that you may be good and stepped on. But they're not related. When you have to fight fight good people fight. Good doesn't mean meek. Good doesn't mean weak, and bad doesn't mean strong. It's another thing I tell parents to teach their kids. Bad is weak. It is takes no effort to be bad. It takes a lot of strength to be good. Any jackass can be bad, big deal. It's a thing in this society and in most societies that has to be understood. Now. The first reward was the way people treat you. The second reward is self image. People who were good like themselves. People who were not good don't like themselves. There's nothing to like. Now. It is possible for a thug to have a good self image in terms of I am the best thug around. I'm very serious. In other words, that that's an accomplishment. The guys who run these super cocaine things in Colombia may very well have good self images, and this is important. Some good people may not have such good self images, just in an interview with people who wrote the book on the Rescuers of Jews in the Holocaust, the most elaborate study ever made, and they found that there was no correlation between self image and likelihood to be a rescue which I felt very vindicated on because I have always thought that this was extraordinarily over blown, this California tendency to constantly speak of self image self image. I think self image is important for happiness. I don't think self image is important with regards to moral behavior. Okay, and the two were not always related, but I believe that in terms of liking yourself, the good like themselves more. You look in the mirror and you're proud I didn't give in. I didn't give in.
Speaker 3: I didn't cheat on that thing, even though I could have, and so on.
Speaker 2: You start to gradually build up self admiration. I have to give a personal example, even though I hate to, I really do hate to, but I have no choice in such a course. I started an anti cheating campaign in high school. I didn't I stopped cheating on tests very early in my freshman year. I had, like a lot of other kids in the eighth grade, and in the beginning of the ninth, and then I just stopped and I never returned to it, and it was very interesting. I recall it like it's yesterday. While I thought it was unethical, and still do and argue against more on moral grounds. I remember the single most important image that I had about cheating was a very strong destructiveness of my own self worth. I felt like I was groveling and my own sense of dignity was violated by cheating on a test, and so I actually felt better about myself getting lower grades than the kids who got higher grades and cheated a few points. I know that for a fact. I remember it. It is true. It has stayed with me as a very powerful example. And I hold that to be true about anyone who withstands the pressures of the market or whatever to be dishonest. That the sense of self worth is very is very much enhanced, a sense of I just don't give in, and when you look at yourself, you like yourself better. I think that these are important traits with regard to goodness. Third, the third reward of goodness is the act itself. Acts of loving kindness make you happier. It is one of my arguments this is totally tangential for God's existence, that God created a world wherein goodness is its own emotional reward. But it is, and you will know that. You will know that if you if you know, you know what. The difference between selfish fun and goodness is. Everything is inverted. We look tremendously forward to fun, have it, and don't feel any better about ourselves. We never look forward to acts of selflessness. Then do it and feel terrific. Who gets up in the morning and says, oh, on another day to go to the nursing home and visit the elderly or whatever it might be. Gee, God, what I love today to volunteer for a local charity. Of course not. You get up and you want a shop, or you get up and you want to go to a ballgame or watch TV, and so on. Everything militates against doing good, except that when you've done it you feel terrific. You also feel a drop self righteous because you look at all the people who didn't do it that day and say, look at the scum of the earth. They're all on a freeway with me. They should all clear a path for Saint Dennis as he drives down. Which is okay, it's Okay, you should feel that you've done that. Better you have, there's no reason not to. You can't wear it on your sleeves. But it is appropriate that this is not cultivated in our times. Is so sad to me that people don't know how doing good for others. You know the trouble. As I told you, the thing I most wanted to avoid in this class and in the book are cliches. But here comes one. Giving is better than receiving. I hate that. I feel like a jerk saying it, but the act of giving is a tremendously is a tremendous receiver for the giver. That is why talking again, I'm glad you asked me this because I have so many of these things. It is good to take kids to do acts of goodness, let them feel the good feeling that comes with it. Our daughter's school went to visit, well was it a nursing home. Went to a nursing home, and these kids who are absolutely normal thirteen year old you know, heavy metal lovers and rock music lovers and sports lovers and hormone lovers. If you had told them, isn't it great? Today? Your kids are going to go to a nursing home. You can only imagine their reaction. And our daughter, and I suspect many of the others, she was on a high when she returned. But it is literally not something that you can ever convince a person of you'll feel great if you do good. It sounds so like a bill of sale. You know, a billy goods that you're trying to sell. People don't know it. Therefore, to summarize, a good case could be made for goodness in terms of being a happier human being. People who devote their lives to this as opposed to given moments, have a deep, deep sense of inner peace, a deep sense of satisfaction.
Speaker 3: Can they have something.
Speaker 2: That I will talk about at length or not at length, but more lengthily later they stay, will be able to look forward to dying and saying that they made a difference that to me. And this is going to be next week starts part two of this eight weeks and it's going to be very heavy. I hope you will be able to attend because it is going to be about the pursuit of meaning, which is the great indispensable element to happiness. But the ability to be able to say that I know that if I died tomorrow, I know that I could say that I have done something. And in this regard my final words for today, and then I'll open up for questions if you have any. There's a terrible, terrible happen again on the phone on my radio show. There's a terrible tendency of a lot of people to think if they don't make a difference macro, and they only do an individual's life, it's not such a big deal, folks. The quicker you disabuse yourself of that thinking, the better you will be, and the better the world will be.
Speaker 3: Gorbachev is making a big difference Macro.
Speaker 2: The most of you don't have a chance to be the General Secretary of the Communist Party of the Soviet Union during totalitarian times, Okay, it is just off limits. Literally literally. If the most wonderful American became president of the United States, even.
Speaker 3: He or she would not have much of an impact.
Speaker 2: Impacts are available overwhelmingly when there is major evil, a major, powerful figure is there in a leadership.
Speaker 3: And powerful position to confront it.
Speaker 2: Otherwise it is not possible. Churchill is great because of Nazism, Lincoln is great because of slavery, Martin Luther King is great because of discrimination. Greatness on the macro level occurs only when there is massive evil to conquer and you are in the position to do it. It is open to about two people a century. Some centuries had no openings, and I hope, incidentally, that the next century has no openings. I hope all major evils are done, and in that case, no one will become this momentous macro achiever. The rest of us will effect two ten, maybe twenty, maybe ten thousand. But the world has six billion. People are signied from doing good because they don't think that what they do will mount to a hill of beans. It is one of the big obstacles to many people's doing good.
Speaker 3: So I'll help one old lady in a nursing home.
Speaker 2: Big deal. It's the biggest deal in the world because to that lady, she is the most important thing on earth. You can't save Romania.
Speaker 3: You're not called upon to save Romania.
Speaker 2: By the way, this was taught to me too. Dear dear friend who's a Roman Catholic priest, I've been bugging him for years to try to be a cardinal. I've been I did we know each other about six years. For the first three years, I would aggravate him. I'd go, come on, you're so bright, you're so charismatic, you're so wonderful. Why the hell are you a parish priest or a high school principle. You should be out there, you should be an archbishop. And he would look at me and say, you know, I don't want to be an archbishop. I don't want to be a cardinal. They don't get to meet anybody. They get to sit behind huge desks in big chanceeries and sign big papers and make big speeches. I get to visit people in hospitals. He's right, That's what people have to learn. That is this idea of if I'm not moving mountains to hell with hills is a horrible, horrible notion. Mountains are movable under rare, the rarest of circumstances, and they just have to fall into your lap. And there have been no knocks. You wouldn't have ever heard of Winston Churchill. Therefore, forget this notion. You are not going to cure homelessness poverty aids tomorrow. But if you visit somebody regularly, you are doing an immense amount. And needless to say, if everybody did it, the world would be idyllic, the world would be paradise. Most people, you know, people raise issues about God and suffering. Yet I have done this repeatedly over a decade. I've asked audiences, raise your hand. I'm not doing it again. I'm just telling you their story. Raise your hand. I have said, if the vast majority of your pay there are two types of pain that we can suffer, man made and natural, right, there's no third type. Raise your hand. If the vast majority of the pain in your life has been induced by people, and overwhelmingly most people, raise their hands. Not by God, not by cancer, not by earthquakes, by people, and the good in your life, Excuse me, it's not from pipe smoking, its allergies.
Speaker 3: The good in your life has come from people too.
Speaker 2: We can make life for others a joy or a horror that is in human hands. So goodness done, even on the most micro level, is so immense in its ramifications for others' happiness and for yourselves that it cannot be understated, cannot be overstated. Excuse me.
Speaker 3: I'll end with this, and we won't have time for questions.
Speaker 2: I'll end with this. I asked on my first year that I did my show on religion on the line, I asked the priest minister Rabbi career heroes. They named Moses, Jesus, Saint Paul, Monodes, etcetera, etcetera. Which is fine, and these are heroic Raoul Wallenberg, and they're great. I mean, there's I'm I'm not arguing with those choices. When it came to my time, I answered the question too. I had not planned to.
Speaker 4: Say this, but as I was listening to all their answers, I was starting to realize there's something missing, and I said, finally, people who my heroes are people who generally.
Speaker 2: Observe the law, lead a good life, decent children, go to work, and pay their taxes. Honestly, they really are my heroes. It is very hard to do that. It is in some ways much easier to do a macro great thing than be faithful each day to your spouse, be a conscientious spouse, be a good parent, be a good friend to your friends, give a shoulder to a friend who has a tear. That's tough stuff. Nobody writes it up. And in America, the great reward is notoriety, to be known. This is nirvana. To an American. That's what the Gun Show was. The purpose was to be known for making a fool of yourself. The entire purpose was to be foolish. Why because it is much better to waste your life and be known than to lead a beautiful life and not be known. That is what happened to too many Americans. And it's trickled down to kids. Gallah. Kids say today what they want to be. I wouldn't mind if they said rich, but they say rich and famous. The famous bothers me much more than they're rich, because most people who will attain fame will not be doing it because they have been a mother Teresa, but will be doing it because of something analogous. More to the Gang Show. That's not a happy development in our society. Today's review talked about enjoying life. In the last part of that pursuit of depth and the pursuit of goodness, we begin the last four weeks with the chief criteria for becoming a happier human being in totally different directions. All right, I'll see you then.
Speaker 1: This has been timeless wisdom with Dennis Prager. Visit Denispragger dot com for thousands of hours. If Dennis's lectures, course in Classic Radio Programs, and to purchase Dennis Prager's Rational Bibles,