Speaker 1: Welcome to today's podcast sponsored by Hillsdale College, all Things Hilldale Hillsdale dot ed or. I encourage you to take advantage of the many free online courses there, and of course I'll listen to the Hilldale dialogues, all of them at Q for Hillsdale dot com or just Google, Apple iTunes and Hilldale Morning Laurie and even Grace America. I'm g Qwitt, so I'm glad that you are joining us on this Monday, August seventeenth, twenty twenty six. We happen to be on the Salem News Channel and you may be watching on Roku or Samsung or Amazon or one of the over the top services. I'm also on the Salem Radio Network, lots of affiliates across the country this week, though we're also on c SPAN c SPAN two. I think this marks well over my fiftieth appearance on ze Span, thanks to years and years of having friends there like Brian Lamb, Howard Mortman, Peters Slan and now the estimable Sam Fistu is their new CEO and has been for a couple of years. So let's put on Hewitt for a week and see if we can drive the audience crazy. But I've got a plan put on smart people instead of me, and I'm starting with two law professors. The smart guy is two point zero. James Phillips is the professor of law at Saint Thomas Law School in Miami Gardens, Florida, and Professor Josh Blackman is at South Texas School of Law of course in Houston, Texas. Josh is also the co author of the best constitutional law casebook out there, Cases and Materials, which he co author is with our friend Randy Barnett. Now I asked them on because tomorrow Chief Justice Roberts will get the submission from the National Trust for Historic Preservation in response to the petition for a stay filed by the National Park Service in a case called National Trust for Historic Preservation versus National Park Service, which is really about what the President can and cannot do to his house and the national security facilities around it. So I'd like to begin with you, Josh Blackman, since you've got the casebook, I've made my opinion known on X. The President has reposted that opinion on XI. Think he agrees with me. What do you think about this and what do you think the Chief Justice should do? And what do you think he will do?
Speaker 2: Well?
Speaker 3: Thanks for having us back. There are sort of two categories of issues here. First, Joes Trump have the power of the duty's doing, and second do the courts.
Speaker 4: The power to stop it?
Speaker 3: And I think the second question is actually more important and the law there's something called standing. It's kind of this weird topic, but it means what's it to you?
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 3: In other words, you don't like something, how does it affect you? And usually in order to go to federal court to bring a lawsuit, you have to be injured or hurt by some government action. The weird thing about this case is no one's really being injured.
Speaker 4: You have a person in Washington, d c.
Speaker 3: Who likes to walk past the White House and likes to look at it and reflect on how beautiful it is. And she says she likes the esthetics of how the old East Wing looks and doesn't like the new ballroom that's being constructed. So she says, that's my injury, and therefore I want a court to order the construction to stop. The lower court, the trial court said yes, that's enough, and the court appeals the DC Circus said yes, that's enough. This is now before the US Supreme Court. We we're rolling on, I think very soon. I think what the Court's likely to say is Judge Nami Rouse said in her descent, there's no injury here that merely not like him. Something looks like is not a to goit of federal court.
Speaker 1: So he's going with part one and going with the standing out. James Phillips again, I'm gonna ask you the same question, what will the court do and what should it do?
Speaker 5: I think going with standing is the most likely scenario for the court because then they don't have to get into the merits, which you know, can be a little bit messier, and so it's it's an easy way to get out that this is, you know what sometimes in the establishment clause context is called offender observer status, where someone's offended because maybe there's a cross on Probok property and it's never been applied outside of the establishment context, and even there it's on shaky ground. Justice cor Such and Justice Thomas wrote about this a few years ago. So I think standing and provides an easy avenue for the court to get rid of this case. I think if they get to the merits, the President probably still wins but I think one thing that's going to be going on in the back of the court's mind is there's a concept in the law called latches, which is when you sit on your hands too long before bringing suit, that sometimes you can lose your ability to bring suit.
Speaker 6: And there was a delay in this case.
Speaker 5: The plaintiffs waited, i think four months after he announced he was going to do this to bring suit, and by that time the oldest wing had already been demolished. So and then they didn't even bring the right claims. The district Court had to dismiss their complaint. It wasn't until March first that they actually brought the statutory claims that they have prevailed on below here. So I think that's going to be going on in the court's mind of you know, we've got sixty five percent of this done at this point.
Speaker 1: Maybe this is a.
Speaker 5: Different case if you bring suit, you know, in July of twenty twenty five. But I think that's going to matter to the court because a stay or an injunction is the court's equitable powers where they can kind of balance, you know, the equities as they say. So again I agree that Josh is right here. I think standing is the most likely way that they go to find standing here would really kind of alter standing doctrine significantly.
Speaker 1: All right, let me play Devil's advocate for a moment, or at least push us forward to the national security issue here, and I should declare Judge Dick Learly on the Senior District Court, judge who made the initial ruling granting the initial stay, is a longtime friend and co counsel of mine. He's a fine judge. I think he's thrown a spanner here. But he was also Dick Cheney's chief council in Iran contry. He's got a long long history of public service in Washington, DC. Very smart and good judge. That said, every judge throws a spanner if we get past standing, Josh, and we find another plaintiff, someone who can allege that they were injured by this, and they can actually pass the usual standing. What say you about the president's control over the executive mansion and especially those parts about which the country got a peak in the declaration of the Army's head of the Army Corps Engineer As to what is in the basement. People kind of know it's in the basement, but they don't really know what's in the basement. I'd been in the basement. What do you think about that?
Speaker 3: Well, Judge Leon respectfully screwed up here. He said that President Trump is but a mere tenant of the White House. Well, that would make Judge lee on the landlords of the tenant, and that can't be right. The presence of the commander in chief, the head executive branch and his home, the most safe place in the United States has to be the White House. And the President has submitted declarations from everyone, the Secretary of State, the Secretary of Defense, the secred Homeland Security, the director of the FBI, the.
Speaker 4: Army, jointed chiefs of staff.
Speaker 3: Everyone has put a declaration to the Supreme Court saying this is essential for national security.
Speaker 4: It's not just a ballroom.
Speaker 3: There's a very large bunker under that structure that we use for a hospital, a safe base in the ends of a terrorist attack. There's a medical facility there as well. And in fact, the roof of the ball roomobile a drone port. I don't know what that was, but it's basically a place where drones can take off in land. Look at other countries like Ukraine and Iran, the threat of drones is serious there, Hypersonic missiles is serious. And I think it gets really tricky when federal judges think they know better on national security and they tell the President you must stop construction. And I'd like to think that Chief Justice Roberts and just Kavanaugh, who both worked in the White House early in their career, would recognize this simple fact that you can't have judges micromanaging how the present manages his own security infrastructure.
Speaker 1: Excellent, James Philips. I want to give you the last word before we go to break. Don't go any anywhere America and bring them back on the other side to talk more national security stuff and this Supreme Court. James, what do you think about the national security issue?
Speaker 5: You know, the Supreme Court historically tends to defer to the executive branch when there are questions of national security. Not always, but I think it's unlikely that they're going to engage in second guessing of what is necessary to make the White House secure and what is not. So I think there's going to be a lot of deference here to the President and other officials who have determined that this is necessary.
Speaker 1: Would there be an advantage, James in some dicta here, even if they say, even if the Chief Justice says and the majority agree with him, that the stay was improvidently issued or the injunction was providently issued in the stay of it is in place for some guidance to other lower courts about messing around with national security facilities.
Speaker 5: You know, dicta at the Supreme Court is law for lower courts in a way, So there's always it's always helpful, given the Court doesn't take a lot of cases every year to provide guidance whether or not. You know, sometimes Chief Justice Roberts takes a more minimalist approach. It's not always the case, and so he may want to just decide this issue and save the broader issue of national security for another day. But it's possible that there could be some asides here that reached this issue more broadly and kind of you know, there's been a lot of activity by the lower courts with things that the President has done in this term, and it's possible that the Court is starting to get a little impatient with some of that. So we may see if they, you know, try to get the lower course to fall a little bit more in line with this case or they just, you know, focus just on the issue.
Speaker 1: I'm going to come back with Professors Blackman and Phillips, because, as Professor Blackman noted, the Chief Justice spent a couple of years in the White House Council's office. He knows the White House Compound completely well as does Justice Kavanaugh. Can I think maybe the rest of the district courts going off on prolicts and detours this year may also figure in this Tomorrow's stay tuned and if you're on c SPAN, What's Happened? You've got the QT Show, Stay with it. Welcome back, America. I'm Hugh Hewett and the special Welcome to our Sea Span audience on c SPAN two, watching this week due to a special arrangement with the Salem News Channel, and we're very glad to have sea Span along for a ride for a week in the August break when Congress has gone back doing their jobs in their district. I'm joined at the beginning of this hour by Professor Josh Blackman of South Texas School of Law, author along with Randy Barnett. If I think the finest casebook about to become its fifth edition, Cases of Materials on constitutional law, I hope that's on time, Josh, is that on time? Am I going to have it?
Speaker 4: It would be out in December?
Speaker 1: All right? For jan you'll be ready double checking. And James Phillips is teaching more courses than I can count at Saint Thomas University at Miami Gardens in Florida. Josh, I'm gonna go back and stipulate we find a plaintiff with standing and stipulate the wave latches. Let's say a contractor he didn't have a chance to bid, or a contractor upscrewed, they that they were their bid wasn't accepted. And get to the national security issue. What can the chief Justice take judicial notice of as well as the other justice as it goes to the entire court when it comes to threats that are evolving rapidly on the matrix.
Speaker 3: Well, keep in mind President schump has had how many assassination tempts I've actually lost count.
Speaker 1: They're at least four.
Speaker 4: They tried to shoot them at Butler, they.
Speaker 3: Tried to shooting at the golf course, they tried to come with the correspondent center, they tried to fire a shoulder fell and missile of him and Iran. And in Turkey, I mean, at some point, I think the court can.
Speaker 4: Say that the judiciary.
Speaker 3: Lacks the cognizance, lacks the knowledge over the threat matrix facing the president, and that as perhaps a matter of balancing the equities.
Speaker 4: Right, let's just weigh it out.
Speaker 3: Some woman, some contractor claims that they got you know, screwed in a bid.
Speaker 4: Okay, well that's a problem.
Speaker 3: You can remedy that with monetary damages. Perhaps another side, the leader of the free world might be killed by a droom strike.
Speaker 4: This one doesn't.
Speaker 3: Strike me as very difficult, especially given the fact, as James mentioned, the building is more than halfway done and they're working was twenty hours a day, six days a week to construct this thing as a natural security infrastructure. So I could even see the Chief Justice just sitting on this case for a few months and okay, well, now there's eighty five percent done. Given the amount of workdone, there's nothing really press to do, and they just deny the or they grant the government's emergency stay, and then you know, when the case comes back to the court in a year or so in the normal process, they just deny it because the thing's built. It's done, right, You're not going to demolish a structure at the White House because the judge tells you to.
Speaker 1: So, James, I'm going to ask you for the limiting principle. I think Josh is right. That's my position. I think it's the president's position and common sense national security position. What's the limiting principle? Because opponents of this will say, well, I mean, do this to the White House, Maybe he can do it to the Department of Energy, and maybe he can do it anywhere he wants in the United States that he declares a national security site. What's the limiting principle?
Speaker 5: Well, the statutes that issue here do give the president authority to make alterations or improvements to the White House as well as any buildings on national parks, which includes the President's Park. So I think that would limit him to be able to redo any building owned by the federal government anywhere in the country or the world. So I think the statute is going to provide a limiting principle here, and you know the degree of what the president can do. The court, if it gets to the merits, will probably also look at that language. So an alteration or improvement is one thing. Raising the White House and starting over with, say, you know, an Egyptian Pyramids style monument or something probably doesn't fit within the meaning of alteration and improvement. So I guess is that they'll rely on the statutory language to find some of that limitation.
Speaker 1: Back to you, John, I'm not sure I want to go down that road, because when the Constitution was ratified, there was no National Park Service. There was an executive branch, and I think implied in that, and the commander in chief is a lot of authority to control the structure of his home, his offices, and the national security facilities in the United States, what were they operating under where there's always congressional statute. He couldn't build anything or do anything until the Congress authorized it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean there's two sides of that.
Speaker 3: First off, the president's money, right, the president can't spend money less as an appropriation, but Congress is appropriate a lot of money, and in this case he's actually saw private donations from donors to help fund this work. The second issues are the constitutional authority. The president has the power of self defense right even.
Speaker 4: Before there's a secret service.
Speaker 3: I think was made following the Civil War of memory service, or at least in the eighteen hundreds, there wasn't really a form of protection for the president, but it was always interested that there needs to be security for the president, there actually be some sort of guard with him.
Speaker 4: And this just doesn't strike me as beyond the pale.
Speaker 3: Historically, President Roosevelt tore up much of the East Wing himself.
Speaker 4: He built it.
Speaker 3: President Truman constructed this massive balcony. Jerry Ford built the swimming pool. You know, we'd say the Rose Garden without Jackie Oh's Jackie Jackie Kennedy's sort of vanity project at the time. There have been lots of alterations to the President's mansion since the time of John Adams moving in, and I think that we're sort of we're losing the thread when we have federal judges with the spectators leon basically dictating to the present how he should keep himself safe. I do think that we've really gone a drift. If this is the sort of litigation in the Supreme Court has to decide. There are lots of the hard case of the course to decide. This one doesn't strike me as terribly difficult.
Speaker 1: All right, last question, I want to get both your opinions on this. James Phillips. Has the Supreme Court been pro Trump anti Trump? John Roberts in the bag firm are always hostile to him, and ditto the sixth Justice originalist conservative majority.
Speaker 6: They're neither.
Speaker 5: You know, they've ruled honest behalf in some things against him and others. I think they're showing their judicial independence, even some of those who had been nominated by him. So I haven't seen this court as either pro or anti Trump.
Speaker 1: Josh Blackman, I agree with James.
Speaker 4: We don't have a pro or anti Trump court.
Speaker 3: But it's a sort of striking thing that the votes most likely for Trump are from going he did to a point, just as Clarence Thomas the Semlito are the most strong votes for Trump, Chief Justice Roberts and the less present Justice Barrett is most voting anti Trump. I think they all sort of see the law and sort of legal politics in different lenses. But I don't think it's their part is an any sort of sense of right left. Think they just view the role of judicia a little bit differently.
Speaker 1: I think you are both right on that. Josh Blackman from South Texas University School of Law. James Phillips from Toom Saint Thomas University s GOO of LO on Miami Garden, Florida. Thank you both for joining me the Smart Guy's two point zero on a special August emergency session. Normally, and we only do this when they are big decisions coming down, not on a on a DC Circuit Court opinion that's been appealed on an emergency basis to the Supreme Court. Thank you, professors. Welcome back, America. I'm Hugh Hewittt, joined by James Lylex who's a humorist extraordinaire National Review writer of course, a columnists for Substack at James Lilacs dot substack dot com. You can follow him on Exit Lilyx and go to his website James Lylyx dot com. James, before there was Fox, before there was actually the same news channel. Before there was Fox, and before there was CNN, there was this long period of time when your choices were just the Big three networks or c SPAN. And I think I saw my grandfather, who was born in the nineteenth century and lived well into the twentieth watch c SPAN more than any other network. What do you think of c SPAN. I think it's an American treasure.
Speaker 6: It absolutely is. It's the Weather Channel for thinking people.
Speaker 7: Well, some folks was just turned on the Weather channel with just watch you know, there's a cold front coming in. But se SPAN, you could always be depended upon that be some people talking about some issue that maybe wasn't paramount on everybody's mind at the day.
Speaker 6: But mattered.
Speaker 7: And so yes, if you take the entirety of sea SPAN's coverage, and I'm sure that somebody's got it digitize, you have a record of American thought that's extraordinary and unlike anything that we've had before. So it's not that it's flashy and special and fantastic and exciting. It's just the throat and the bloodstream of American politics and culture.
Speaker 1: So good for them. Do you remember how Newt Gangridge revolutionized se span?
Speaker 8: Not exactly, no, but I'm sure that he used it to his advantage to get the ideas across because you're right, there were just the networks and the magazines, and you had your fight your way past the gatekeepers, and an unmediated thing that you could just broadcast lives to people was.
Speaker 1: Made all the different. Well, they had revise an extended remarks period every day after the official business session closed, and c SPAN carried that, so it would go down there and give stem winders. Now they're limited to five minutes, I believe to revise it. And he actually changed minds up until he won in nineteen ninety four. And I think he just had unfiltered access to the American people as fabulous.
Speaker 7: Right, And if I recall correctly, the chamber was often empty, but that didn't matter because the people he were speaking to were not in the room, which she always had.
Speaker 1: That's right. Now. From that, should we have an opinion on the Supreme Court proceedings being televised against which I am firmly.
Speaker 7: Set against which I am firmly set to, let me just do it to unpack that.
Speaker 6: I don't want to televise them. No, I want them to be shrouded in mystery.
Speaker 7: I want the whole thing for the rest of this of the American experiment. All I want to see are hand drawn sketches that somebody does of some guy standing up there giving his arguments. No, it would demystify it, it would take it away. I want that to be.
Speaker 6: In that chamber and not broadcast.
Speaker 1: All right now, speaking of the Supreme Court, and you'll notice the very elegant transition that occurred there. They're sitting on the Chief Justice's a desk, a application from the President of the United States via the National Park Service to crush the DC Circuits decision telling him he cannot finish his ballroom, which is in fact the East Wing, which includes the basement of the East Wing, which includes the national security stuff and the roof which is supposed to be a drone part with which to protect the White House. What do you think about that? Right?
Speaker 7: I think it's absolutely preposterous. I mean, there's all kinds of about historical preservation and the rest of it.
Speaker 1: Well, it's gone.
Speaker 6: We're not going to build it back the way it was. We're not going to build it back better.
Speaker 7: And I'm a little worried, as a matter of fact, that they got rid of what is it called the Peak, that military bunker.
Speaker 6: Complex down under there that we always saw.
Speaker 7: In the movies whenever the Rooskies were something up to and they'd have to scurry down to the bunker. If that's not there, what's the president going to do if there is an emergency? Are they going to put them in a closet somewhere that's steal lined Are they going to whisk him off to some other facility that isn't six stories?
Speaker 6: No, No, build the darn thing. We know who the donors are. We know Apple's got money in it, met has got money in it.
Speaker 7: So they'll be good Internet access and with Apple auroting systems and apps and all the rest of it. But if they don't build it, then what are we going to have? Exactly are we going to have a half constructed shell of a ballroom? Now DC has known this before. The Washington Monument was just a stump for a long time, a thumb.
Speaker 6: That just sat there. Is a sort of uncompleted monument.
Speaker 7: And I hate to think that we would have decades go by with the shell, the walls, you know, pigeons roosting on the never finished complex because we got caught up.
Speaker 6: In these ridiculous lawsuits.
Speaker 7: If anyone, the president had wanted to build it, it would have been a testament to American renaissance and and a wonderful return to the values that made us great.
Speaker 6: But now because it's Trump, you know where they have to fight it.
Speaker 1: Well, the build That's my theory. If it had been w or Obama or Biden, everyone or Truman or any everyone would have said, because Fdr dug that bunker out in the East Wing in nineteen forty two for a reason. That's why they have the war rooms in London for a reason. If someone drops a bomb on it, and nowadays we look at Ukraine, they get anywhere they want in the Black Sea. It's it's not going to be long till someone comes up with this, right.
Speaker 6: Right, absolutely, So we should be lucky.
Speaker 7: Moreover that it was fromp who decided to do this, because he has show we say that particular architectural perspective that is more in line with a White House. I tend to think that a Barack Obama had proposed something like this, we might have gotten a version of his library, brutalistic, uncomfortable, looming, blowering presence in Chicago, you can possibly imagine.
Speaker 6: So we might have got a modernist.
Speaker 7: To come in and say, no, we're going to do this in a style that completely clashes with the rest of DC because we know better now, and it would be some modernist piece of nonsense that nobody would really want to spend time in. So, yes, it's big, it's over scaled, it's a little bit gaudy, but it's needed, and let's build it and get on with it.
Speaker 6: For Heaven's Yea.
Speaker 1: I actually read the documents, the Army corp of Engineered documents. Yeah, the ballroom's pretty big, and yeah it's pretty thick, but the reason is it's got to absorb blows to protect the bunker, right, and no one ever ever did. We shouldn't be talking about this, but we are.
Speaker 6: No. And what's more, this is America.
Speaker 7: Are you here to tell me that we should we should refrain from building oversized ballrooms? Are you telling me that it's somehow in a front to the scale of the world, that our ballrooms are inordinately large. Build them as large as you like, build them so big you could have four Olympic.
Speaker 6: Baseball court a basketball courts in there and have some people playing.
Speaker 7: You don't give him any ideas.
Speaker 6: Yes, but no, it's it's it's it's a ridiculous little story.
Speaker 7: And I hope that it concludes with this massive, big, beautiful ballroom bunker being built to the specifications and we'll be safe.
Speaker 1: James, you may have launched a phone call to the organizing committee in LA. Have you thought about that there? It might not be the ball. It may not be basketball, but they could run fencing in there and get more attention than it would ever otherwise receive.
Speaker 7: You want to get there, You want to get the liberal suburban wine moms on border of this thing.
Speaker 6: Say that it could be used.
Speaker 7: For pickleball ten times a month or something like that, and then you know they'd go for that in a big pickleball court.
Speaker 1: James Lylex, thank you friend. Follow LICs on Accent, Lilacs, James List, substack dot com, read them in Nash Review, look at his website, LICs dot com. Stay with me. I'll be right back on the dow At show. I'm big primary left in the United States competitive primary. It's on the Republican side. It's in the Granite State in New Hampshire where two former senators are facing up. Former Senator Scott Brown and former Senator Johnson Hunu are both running in the Republican side. So I thought I would use this week when I'm on not only the Sale News Channel the Salem Radio Network are wonderful radio affiliates, but also see Span two to invite both of them in to talk a little bit with those in New Hampshire. Are watching or listening, and Senator Scott Brown leads us off. Senator, welcome back, good to see you, bring us up to speed on your campaign and on now look coming up to September.
Speaker 2: Eighth, well first of all, twenty two days left and you, it's good to see you and be on your show again. In a good day to all of your viewers and listeners. Yeah, listen, it's been fun once again, still fun. I'm working every day, going four or five, six seven places a day, and I don't see John anywhere. And respectfully, as we've talked about in many, many times, New Hampshire is always traditionally broken within the last three to four to five weeks, and that's what we're seeing happening with surging. Just ordered another two thousand signs today to get them out and people are donating money. I just sent you my new ad and we're up on Fox and other multimedia platforms and here we go.
Speaker 1: So, Senator Brown, I'm just a rank Republican partisan, and so I'd like to know which of you has a better chance of beating Chris Pappus in the fall. And I'm sure Senator Sanuna will say it's Tim and I'm sure you'll say it to you, but what's the argument for you?
Speaker 2: Well, the argument is I'm the only one in this race out of both those people that has any military experience, as you can see almost forty years joined after the Blizzard of seventy eight as in a list of man and my last four at the Pentagon advising the Joint Chiefs. I'm the only person who has any diplomatic experience, having served almost four years in the Inner Pacific, New Zealand, Cook New Waysmhore and Antarctica. And more importantly, and most importantly, I'm the only person in this race who's a grandfather who understands the challenges that our young families are going through, whether it's the high cost of housing, healthcare, childcare, food, energy, and they don't have any clue when it comes to those things. They can talk a big game, but respectfully, people in New Hampshire care about these things. And here's the biggest thing. If you look at Johnson Unuo, all the support he's getting from SLF and AFP and Senate leadership on the NRSC, and then you got Chris Pappas a litany of who's who in the Special interests. The only special interests I have are the people of New Hampshire and that's what's happening in this breaking late that independents are saying, yes, Scott, you're the guy who can call balls and strikes. I can't. I don't have to kiss the presidents, but every single time, like John has to do now because he got the.
Speaker 1: Endorsement, so let me do it. An aside, I drove down to see you last year from Maine, I drove down to New Hampshire and we spent most of the time talking about girls basketball to left field. I just want to ask you what you think about what's going on in the WNBA, because you're a girls' basketball code. It was funny you introduced me. You said, don't call me ambassador, don't call me senator or call me coach. What do you think about this? Bess Well?
Speaker 2: I wrote an up ed today in Unions The Union Leader, which I'll send to your staff, saying that the WNBA is running a foul and it's unbelievable what Sophie Cunningham did and what in his canter former Celtic are doing now to prove a point. If you can't tell me what a woman is. I mean, it's ridiculous. My daughter played college basket a Boston College committee at fifteen years old, and yeah, they used to train with boys who would come on and make them better because they're bigger and stronger. But to think that somebody is going to take their medal of scholarship is abhorrent and just completely immoral. So I wrote that up thet I encourage people to go to Scott brownd dot com and find it. It'll go to the Union Leader because if the WNBA doesn't get there, you know what, together, they're going to lose a lot of fans like me. And the only reason I will watch the WNBA's not for Angel Reese or anyone Else's for Caitlin Clark and now Sophie Cunningham. I watched last night as a matter of fact, a great overtime win.
Speaker 1: So you mentioned grandkids. I've got them too. In fact, they've been with me for most of the summer and I'm banged up and bruised up as a result. They're all young kids. I'm curious, do you think there is a break between the rising generation and the existing generation about common sense constitutionalism? Do you notice that out on this road.
Speaker 2: Yes, of course, yesterday. We have signs all over the state, probably five to seven thousand of them, and somebody sent us a picture up near Keene, my two by four sign, then a smaller sign handmaid saying shoot ice you know which, Yeah, that's obviously somebody who's deeply disturbed this disconnect when it comes to right and wrong, potentially working harder, supporting our traditional values. Things are a little bit up down and respectfully, Chris Pappus represents that he pushes for the men and boys and women in squirrels, sports, open border, sanctuary cities, all this stuff that Mom, Donnie Graham Plattner. You know, I'll say I had all those folks push.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 2: That's who he is, that's who he's running. He's the new face of the Democratic Party aka DSA party, and people in New Hampshire don't want that for sure.
Speaker 1: So Suny Brown, when I watch TV in Maine, I always get New Hampshire political ads because of the Portland TV market going down into northern New Hampshire. What has been the money gap between you and Senator sow.
Speaker 2: Oh it's huge, it's huge. But you know, once again, we already planned. We plan to have enough money to do what we always do in a state like New Hampshire, which is to come out the last four to five weeks. I mean, we have billboards Manchester, Nashua right on ninety five. We've been doing radio for three or four weeks. We are on the air as of today in Fox, and you are and others. I just sent you a text to do my ad, which I hope you enjoy, and we have three or four in the can. I'm shooting another one tomorrow.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Listen, he's got the support from If you look at his ads, you'll see you know that it says paid for by the NRSC. He's not paying for those, it's approved by him. And he's not doing anything. He's already picking out the drapes, just like Martha Cokeley did. And respectfully, people notice here in New Hampshire, they're saying, where the heck is John? And then when I say, when I meet people, said to say, well, I'm going to I like Chris the governor, And he said, well, this isn't Chris. Because then a signer just says it's John. They go, who the hell is John? I said, he's a former Senator, is that where's he been well? For twenty years, he's been working for the World Economic Forum, and you know the banks that he bailed out making millions. He left Congress eight hundred and fifty thousand dollars of wealth. He's worth thirty six million. And I don't begrudge anyone from making money. God bless him, but that don't go around saying that you're fighting for New Hampshire because they can't. They're so tight end with the special interest And as I said before, the only special interest I have with the people in New Hampshire, and my sole job is to represent and solve problems for them. Don't They can't say that, They just can't. It makes so counterintuitive.
Speaker 1: All right? So I want to close by talking about Chris Pappus. Is he a DSA or is he as nutty as those people?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's pretty close. He just put out something he's been there seven years about every election cycle he gets on face Twitter and our acts and Facebook and he says, I'm doing this, I'm filing this bill, I'm stopping this. He's done nothing. He just did something about the insider trading, and you you know I did it within seven, eight, nine months, and when I left, they weakened it. Now he's just saying I'm supporting it and this and that. I call bs on him. I went on Action and called him out, and he responded and says, okay, Scott, and he puts an headline saying that he opposes Pelosi. Well, dude, what have you been doing for the last seven years? Well, Pelosi and he and others. This is the guy who married a guy who was working at Amazon, yet didn't disclose it, and voted for all the Amazon bills in favor, you know, which he and his partner husband have stock in. I mean, come on, I mean, don't don't you know what you know?
Speaker 1: Whatter?
Speaker 2: I mean, you know they need to work and be honest with the people in New Hampshire.
Speaker 1: For sure, I had no idea. I actually had no idea about that Amazon story. I know he's married and his husband was working, but I had no idea that they own Amazon stock and it's not the was it disclosed on his congressional disclosure for him.
Speaker 2: Well, if you do the research right in the newspapers, there's an ethics complaint that the Hope that apparently is being filed because he voted on these bills. You know he didn't. He didn't renounce himself, he didn't recuse himself, he didn't make any type of disclosure. So listen, we'll see what happens. But bottom line is yes, to answer your question, he opened border century cities, more spending, more taxes. He doesn't support the qualified immunity for a law enforcement. He's almost there. But he has not rejected Mom, Dannie Platner, ELSEI ed, any of those folks, has not rejected them at all. And he can't answer like whether whether he supports them or not because he doesn't want to rile him. Just like Jeffries. You saw Jeffries. He came out and now they're attacking him. They're scared. That's the divide between the Democratic Party. It's not you know, Bill Clinton, it's not Obama's. It's not their party anymore.
Speaker 1: JFK.
Speaker 2: It's Thesa's party. And there's a rift. And the traditional Democrats that I know and care about, they better start stepping up and taking notice and fighting back.
Speaker 1: I hope you are right, Senator Scott Brown. Good to talk to you. Scott Brown dot com. The election of September eighth. I appreciate your stepping up today on short notice, Parliament sends Scott Brown. I also want to tell you about our friends, an American Legislative Exchange Committee. If you're a ceaspan viewer, especially not just a Salem NewsChannel viewer, but or a Salem Radio Network listener, ALEC American Legislative Exchange Council is a great sponsor of the Hugh Hewitt Show. A le EC dot org slash hue, a le ec dot org slash shoe. Why is New Hampshire such a wonderful place to live? Go get Rich Statespoor States dot com, the book that ALEC puts out every year that ranks the fifty states according to their economic vitality, their quality of life, their job opportunity, their freedom matrix, their school choice. Go get Rich States Poor States dot com from the American Legislative Exchange Council. Learn my New Hampshire rocks in California doesn't at ALEC dot com at the leec dot org slash U alet dot org slash U. I'll be right back with my buddies. Selena Zito states here, Welcome back America. I'm here, Hewett joined now by my front of me. Selena Zito columnists of the world. She is, of course the columns for the Washington Post. She writes for the Washington Examiners. She writes for the Pittsburgh Post Gazette and the New York Post. See the author of two best sellers, The Great Revolt and Butler. She's at work on the United States of Appalachia Appalachia. I don't know, I she said that. She said it, Yeah, at Palachia and the the ins are kind of way and Selina right now, we're also not only on the Salem News Channel on Roku and Samsung and all the other free TV stations, but Amazon as well, and the Salem Marino Network. We're also on she Span today because of our friends over there, Sam Feist and Howard Mortman and our old friends Peter Slann and Brian Lamb. And I'm just wondering for your two best sellers, either The Great Revolt or I don't think Butler. I think that Brian Lamb would have retired by the time you did Butler. But did you get a chance to be interviewed by Brian Lamb for The Great Revolt?
Speaker 4: I did not.
Speaker 9: I did not, But maybe Brad Todd did, because sometimes we split up our interviews.
Speaker 1: I hope so. Because he's the best book interviewer in America. Peter Slander is now the best book interviewer in America, and both of those books deserve it. However, boy, do I have bones to pick with you? First of all, because I follow Selena on X at Zito, Selena, I wake up this morning and I see this video running in my X feed, and it's a course of the Steelers showing up at Heinz Field. That's actually the way the Pittsburgh stadium Heinsfield looks. And Selena, what is this? Why am I looking at this this morning?
Speaker 10: Okay, that's not Heinz Field. That is Saint Vincent's College in Latroe.
Speaker 1: Saint Vincent or St. Benedict's.
Speaker 9: Yes, it's a Benedictine Okay, Priory and or Monk Monastery. I'm sorry Priory for nuns getting my Catholic stuff all mixed up. And this is where the Pittsburgh Steelers have been holding training camp since nineteen sixty six. It's one of the few NFL teams that still holds their not only hold it at college. That's not what makes it unique. The guys all stay in the dorms for the indoor duration. They're there for three weeks straight. They stay in the dorms, they hang out. They actually the other I think it was last night, they had a baseball game between each other. And it's just like sort of a really great bonding experience for these guys. But La trumb Is, you know, people forget that the first football game, first professional football game, was played there.
Speaker 1: We go, there, we go. Where is the football Hall of Fame? Selena? Yeah, your second column this week, another piece of propaganda for Injerland. The reason that people go from Appalachia, they go to Ashtabula County and Geneva on the Lake and you put about this pure piece of puffery about some island I've never heard of.
Speaker 9: That's pres style. It's a state park. Uh, it is absolutely beautiful, and so is Geneva on the Lake. I think that whole region up there is really underappreciated.
Speaker 10: And I think you agree with me. You my people that don't understand that that was.
Speaker 9: Our beach, right, We would go there and we would tell people, yeah, we're going to the beach, and they know what we meant.
Speaker 10: We weren't going to the shore. We were going to Lake Erie.
Speaker 9: And that was and I love that these are still very highly popular beaches.
Speaker 10: President Trump was just a geneva on the on the lake. Last week.
Speaker 1: He picked well, he chose wisely. He went to Ohio and not Pennsylvania. Uh, Selena, I want to ask you about Lake Erie. This is a Lake Erie question. I was at put In Bay two weekends ago and I am told there is a water quality issue in the lake. Again there was in the sixties. They fixed it. Is there now, not that I know of.
Speaker 10: I mean, that was a big thing in the sixties and seventies, and rightly so.
Speaker 9: But if there was an airquots or a waterfall of the alert, it certainly didn't.
Speaker 10: There wasn't any talk of it at Erie. In fact, I will tell.
Speaker 9: You I was stunned at the amount of people that were at the beach. We're not talking twenty, we're not talking thirty. We're talking about hundreds of families at all eleven beaches along presque Isle. And it was really wonderful just to see sort of that tradition of going there either for the day if you lived under two hours, or for a couple of days and you camped, either staying on the Pennsylvania side or going over towards Vermillion in Ohio. These are great little lake towns that really give a real sense of America and Appalachia in Pennsylvania and Ohio. Where people don't even realize that parts of Appalachia touch a great leg Well.
Speaker 1: Yeah they do. And I'm going to be in Erie a little bit later this year for Steve Scully, another Sea Span veteran. Steve runs that. Yeah, he runs the the Erie Speaker series and it's a very big speaker series. What I wanted to ask you is it has been, in fact the case that here he goes, So goes Pennsylvania's Pennsylvania go So goes the nation. How is Erie faring right now?
Speaker 10: Actually it's doing really well. I've never seen Erie doing so well.
Speaker 11: You know.
Speaker 9: There's lots of talk up there and resurgence with data power centers, which are like a bad word if you go online, but when you talk to real people about real benefits, especially in repurposed brown fields, they mean real jobs and bringing communities back.
Speaker 1: There also enormous tax revenue. I had Center State Center of Backport from Texas, one county doubled its annual tax revenue with one data center. I wish this would get out there. They produce enormous revenue for county and local government, which is not to be sneezed.
Speaker 10: At, absolutely not.
Speaker 9: I mean, you and I watched this in places like Warren, in Pittsburgh and Youngstown where you saw, you know, the churches just disappear, schools disappeared, barbershops, gas stations because all of the tax base left with the steel mills. Now the revenue is coming back in different forms. It creates jobs up to ten thousand jobs per data center for at least anywhere between five to ten years. But also there's a trickle out experience that impacts communities in a very positive way.
Speaker 1: So is there is there one an Erie? Has one been built near the shore up there?
Speaker 8: Not yet?
Speaker 9: No, But these are all places that they're talking about, and you just see a resurgence period in and around Erie, but also in Astabula County, Warren County, where people are understanding that places that have been abandoned Brownfield's old mills, co fired power plants along the rivers have a usefulness that can bring these communities back and stabilize their population erosion with these facilities, with the.
Speaker 1: Revenue base as well, with police and fire and emergency services. That's the other story. Selena Zita tells it almost every day in this paper or that President Trump call you this week, Selena, just checking? No, if you did not just checking every week, I got to ask follow on exit Zito. Selena read everything she writes at Selenazito dot com and come right back. I'm welcome back America. You Hewett here, and I'm joined by Aaron Flint. He's a candidate for the United States Congress from Montana. There's only one congressional district in Montana, and Aaron's going to be the new congressman. Aaron, I love Montanas and not just because of your governor and your senators, but because one of my closest friends, Jan Jenera, lives not far outside of Ennis on the Madison, and I fished out the Madison a couple of times in my life. So I'm partial. But I'm really partial to you because not only you're a twenty year veteran of the army I should call you colonel, but you're a morning radio guy and there aren't many of you in the Congress. You and Christigo are going to have to start a cocus tell us about yourself.
Speaker 12: Well, first off, Hugh, what an honor to be on your show. You've got so many fans back here in Montana, and it was an honor to follow you on early morning radio. One slight correction, We actually now have two We used to just have one. We now have two districts here in Montana. But this seat here in West Montana is the battleground district. The Democrats technically controlled our redistricting commission and so they made the Eastern Montana seat super safe Republican so they could make this as competitive as they possibly could for Democrats. But that's why I got into this fight, because this seat is so important not just to our country, but to those of us here in Montana as well well.
Speaker 1: For years, Montana confused me because they would always elect Democratic senators. And that's changed now we got Steve Daines and we got great red Republicans out there with our seal as well, whose name is escaping me for the moment. But tell me about the Montana first, why is it even possibly blue?
Speaker 4: Well, when we.
Speaker 12: Did redistricting after the twenty twenty census. The Republicans get two seats, the Democrats get two seats. But we have probably the most far left Supreme Court in the entire country, which is why our Supreme Court race here in Montana for Dan Wilson is so important as well. So they get the tie breaking vote on redistrict so they have effectively controlled redistricting.
Speaker 2: And so they made this seat for.
Speaker 12: A year just like this and for a time like this, in hopes that far left Democrats could pick up this seat. Earlier, I loved the fact that you had some Billy Joel music for your bumper music. We were playing at Billy Joel's playlist on my pontoon yesterday. And you want to talk about going to extremes. This race is a perfect example of a far left candidate endorsed by AOC. That's how confident the Democrats are in thinking that they can pick up this seat that they have put forward one of the most radical candidates you could find. They're pretending he's some blue collar guy. It's of course, it's of course, just a bunch of fake news. This guy is a far left lobbyist who fought to get men and girls bathrooms, men and girls, sports, defund the police, sanctuary cities, and one of the most frustrating things in Montana right now. My opponent lobbied for higher property taxes as well. So this is the craziest of the crazy on display with my opponent. That's why if we get the resources, we can point out the truth about his record.
Speaker 1: Well, I know number one is Tim she out there stumping with you at Dane's out there stumping with you. And what's your website?
Speaker 12: Yeah, flint Formontana dot com. Incredible support from my good friend Senator Steve Danes and of course Senator Tim She He's a Navy seal veteran. I spent about half my career in Army special operations. I was an infantry guy and then I had the honor of serving in special operations.
Speaker 2: In fact, you mentioned NS Montana.
Speaker 12: That's one of my favorite distillery, Willie's Distillery, who made the Devil's Brigade whiskey in honor of the first special service for US.
Speaker 1: Oh, very cool. Now tell people about your radio career. Because CHRISTA. Gaul is going to Congress from Missouri. I hope you joined him from Montana. How long you've been doing the morning radio stuff.
Speaker 12: You know, I first started in statewide talk radio. I grew up listening. I read Rush Limbaugh's book when I was a junior high school kid back in the night. Because I was a kidom and started working. My mom was a single mom, a hard working single mom, and I wanted to start making money to provide for myself and to help out the family as well.
Speaker 4: So I started stuffing.
Speaker 2: Newspapers in the fourth grade.
Speaker 12: And so these principles of economic freedom and keeping more of your money in your own pocket just made sense to me, even as a little kid. But you know, I joined the military after the nine to eleven terror attacks and came back to Montana, had the honor of serving as an infantry platoon leader and Ramadi iracked twenty years ago, and then served on an embedded training team in Afghanistan, and then a couple other deployments as well. But I've been so blessed to you in that I got to go overseas and fight alongside the best America has to offer, the men and women that I got the honor of serving with. But then when I came home, I got to get right back in the fight and fight for Freedom here in America. First started hosting a state wide radio show in two thousand and nine when I got back from my first deployment to Afghanistan. And I tell you what, what an honor it's been to be behind that microphone. And I think that's why in this race, people are gonna look at my far left opponent, and then they're gonna look at They know what I stand for, they know what I believe, and I think they're gonna say, look, even if I don't agree with Aaron on everything, he's an everyday, hard work in Montana kid who's gonna do what's right for Montana. And compared to this far left lobbyist from Portland that I'm running against, I think that even a lot of Democrats are gonna say, even, we can't vote for that. And in fact, just last week, Hugh, this is incredible, big breaking news. I landed the endorsement of the Carpenters Union here in the West, and we also had Ironworkers Union members there present as well. And I think it's because the trades unions, folks understand that their jobs are being killed by these far left socialist Democrats, and they know that working class guys like me are gonna fight for working class jobs like theirs. Plus we're gonna support trades and trades education.
Speaker 1: So Flint for Congress dot Com and I got that right, Aaron Flint for Congress dot.
Speaker 2: Com, Flinch for Montana dot Com.
Speaker 1: Flint, Well, right, I made two mistakes in one segment. There are in Montana, Flint from Montana dot com, Flint from Montana dot Com. It's a big market, it's an expensive place to run a race. Are the resources there for you?
Speaker 12: Well, I think they're there, But we still got to we still meet all the support that we can get. I think folks are now starting to wake up to what a real threat, Uh, this h this far left lobbyist is here.
Speaker 2: In western Montana.
Speaker 12: And then now, I don't know if you heard the news in the Senate race, but the Democrats, I mean, have just been a complete train wreck here in Montana. And now they have kind of this fake independent splitting the vote with the Democrat. So we feel really good about the US Senate race here in Montana. And our friend Kurt Almey, who's going to do an incredible job. He's been fighting the drug cartels. His US attorney he's going to be great in that Senate race. But I think now our good friends know we have got to take this US House race here in western Montana seriously, so whatever resources.
Speaker 4: We can get.
Speaker 12: And Hugh, if I could also just add, my wife works for an incredible organization, the Alliance Defending Freedom, and I know you've done so much to promote all the incredible things they do. And you know, we just had volleyball tryouts our daughter.
Speaker 2: We're so blessed that our daughter made her her volleyball team.
Speaker 12: She's starting high school for the first time this year, and it it just made me think, you know, it's so heartbreaking for those those young ladies that don't make a team, and that's what they want to take away. They want, you know, they want boys to come in and take opportunities from these girls. So we're fighting for so much in this risk.
Speaker 1: Good for eighty f Thank your wife, for me and everyone listening. Go investigate Aaron Plint at flint Formontana dot com, at l I n t Fimontana dot com, clint Ormontana dot com. Thank you, Aaron. Don't go anywhere America. I'll be right that I'm the CONU it show. If you've listened to this program for any length of time, you know I appreciate companies that deliver real value without unnecessary gimmicks. That's why I'm please to recommend Consumer Cellular. They offer reliable nationmid coverage, outstanding customer service and plan to simply makes sense. Right now, you can get a brand new five G phone and an unlimited everything rate plan for fifty nine dollars a month or even less. That's right. Your low monthly price includes your new device and an unlimited talk, text and data plan with thirty six month easy pay financing. Choose the five G phone that's right for you, and when those thirty six months are up, you own the phone the company to unknown you. Here's an exclusive bonus for my listeners for a limited time. Use the promo code HU fifty and you'll receive an additional fifty dollars off your service. Visit Consumer sailor dot com slash shoe today to find the right phone. Enjoy affordable wireless with an unlimited plan for fifty nine dollars a month or less. That's Consumer sailor dot Com slash Shoe, and remember to use the promo code Hugh fifty to save an additional fifty dollars every day there's another headline about artificial intelligence. It's advancing faster than most of us imagine. It raises an important question, where's this all headed? It's one reason I think you'll find Carbon zero so interesting so late from AI pioneer Craig Stanfield, someone who spent years working in artificial intelligence, and he understands both its incredible potential and it's very real risk. That's what makes Carbon zero such an intriguing read, and Carbon zero one seemingly harmless request and experimental AI sets off at chain of events no one saw coming. It's a fast paced thriller, but what makes it especially compelling how believable it feels. If you enjoy stories that make you think as much as they entertain, I think you want to read this one. Should we be concerned about AI? Carbon zero paints a fascinating picture. Preorder your copy today on Amazon search for Carbon Zero by Craig W. Stanfel for a limited time. The kindle edition is just two ninety nine Carbon Zero by Craig W. Stanfield, Ubly and sl featuring one of Charlie Kirk's final interviews.
Speaker 4: The new documentary Can You Hear Me.
Speaker 7: Now investigates modern profits at their divine messages.
Speaker 4: Some people absolutely have the gift of prophecy.
Speaker 12: If God exists, how would he inject his information into our world?
Speaker 1: More than likely he.
Speaker 4: Would use humans. Satan would love Christians. So just be a spectator, not engaged, not participate. Is there something he's trying to say?
Speaker 6: Can you Hear Me Now? For you? Order the movie by September tenth, save twenty five percent and get the DVD free at salemnew dot com.
Speaker 13: When a nation drifts, the church faces a choice silence or courage. This weekend, Salem News Channels America two fifty film series presents Letter to the American Church, based on Eric Mattax's warning to believers. This film challenges Christians to recover conviction, truth and moral courage. Saturday and Sunday at seven pm Eastern on Salem News Channel.
Speaker 1: Learn and Glory Evan Grace America. Welcome to the You Here a show special week This week we're simulcasting on c SPAN along with the Salem News Channel, the Salem Radio Network, all of our wonderful radio affiliates across the United States. You can launch on Sea span today every day this week, but you can watch on the Sale News channel every day three hours a day in twenty four to seven on Pluto TV, Samsung, Bruco, Roku and all the rest of that. I'm devoting the first three segments to someone perhaps you haven't known if you're a Sea Spent viewer, but you've heard on the Hugh Ywits saw about monthly since ten to seven. That is Israeli public intellectional and journalist Aviv Retig Gore. Aviv joins us from Israel. He is the Middle East correspondent for the Free Press, writes for the Times of Israel as well as his own podcast. Aviv asked Aviv anything, and he has his own patron, the only patron that I belong to. Aviv ready Gore, So Aviv welcome, Good to have you. I thought we would talk about the Israeli elections this half hour and begin by noting that today's con broadcasting poll has the ANTIBB coalition at fifty nine seats, the BB Coalition at fifty one seats, and the Arab parties at eleven seats, and there are other polls with others results. I realize that. But the election is coming up in less than three months. What's it going to be decided over? And do you expect those numbers to move much?
Speaker 11: Yeah, First of all, we there's good reason to think that numbers are going to move. Israeli voters because of the nature of our system. Is Raeli voters are very tactical or even strategic. They come to the voting booth and they don't necessarily say I want Eisencote over and the opposition parties to be prime minister, I want nintennial to be prime minister. They say which kind of isiend quote, which version of Nintenneo. So if they want to Nintennao who's more right wing, they will not vote for Likud Nittaniell's party. They'll vote for a more right wing party. But they're not going to vote for a more right wing party like arguably, for example, Lieberman's party. They're going to vote for one that has no option to sit with the opposition, but only with the Ninitaenno coalition. But it would force Nintennelle farther to the right. Did that make sense? In other words, when you have a thirty five parties running, we don't you know, know exactly how many it is. I haven't looked up exactly, but it's usually around thirty and eleven roughly are likely to get In Israeli voters often try and position their vote in a way that's very, very tactical. So expect in the last two three days when by the way, by Israeli electoral law, you're not allowed to run ads anymore. In the last you know, just minute, hours before, days, days before, and the run up to the actual election, expect all kinds of interviews with political leaders saying all kinds of givault campaigns, right, oh, no, campaigns, the sky is falling campaigns, and trying to influence those kinds of tactical decisions of the voters. Nizagna is going to want a largerly Could to have less dependence on other parties. So he's going to say we're about to lose the election because you're going to go vote Benvier, but you actually should vote le Could because that's the only way to guarantee So a lot of votes are likely to move on election day. And it's also worth saying we don't the big decide of this elections probably going to be who stays home. There are a huge number of the COULD voters who traditionally vote the COUD, have never voted anyone else and are very upset with this government. There are on the opposition all kinds of new movements, new parties, new leaders, and we just don't know the strength in the potential electorate. So a lot of people saying I'm going to vote in this direction might not actually show up on election day, and we don't know how that's going to pan out. So the first election after October seventh, after three years of war, after just so much upheaval.
Speaker 1: So Ahavi. As we go into every midterm, there's always affordability versus the war in Iran, versus the fact that the Democratic Party has been taken over by a radical clique of DSA or there are a lot of issues and they'll gel as we get closer to November three. But we start voting in four states on September eighteen, we really did. We start voting in Minnesota, Idaho, South Dakota, in Virginia on September eighteen. Is there early voting in Israel?
Speaker 11: No, it's an election day only. There's a very very minor exceptions. I think diplomats and maybe naval personnel deployed abroad, things like that, technical things, but it's far less than one kanissets voting abroad. It's all on election day, you know, overseas.
Speaker 1: Voting okay, and which issue do you have to have? Voter ID in Israel? Do you have to shop and take I'm a v ready gore and here's my driver's less or whatever is you can show.
Speaker 11: Yes, Every polling booth is actually run by a committee composed of a representative of I believe at least four political parties. I've always seen four or five people at a voting booth, but different parties from OP Position and Coalition all have to have someone of the booth verifying who you are with your ID and writing you off their list. And they all keep a list of the people registered at that booth. Because you vote geographically, you voted the booth close to your place of residents official registered place of residence. So in terms of ID, in terms of each party overseeing every voting booth so that no other party can start writing strange things down, that is very very strict and always has been, and I think it's a good thing. It's very successful. There's a huge amount of trust in Israeli elections.
Speaker 1: I would love to have the Israeli system at every polling place in America. I would like to note the most important salient issues. There are a lot of issues that you can pull the public on. Who is responsible for ten to seven? Is the battle with irangoing? Well? Do the Haretam need to be drafted? There are lots of different issues, But which one is salient in the most number of undecided voters, because that's the most important issue in my mind.
Speaker 11: There are really two different ways to answer that. The first answer is the great security issue. It's almost which folds into it Land and West Benkin's ettlements and Gaza and Husbill and Iran and building you know Mammadim safe rooms or you know bomb shelter rooms and apartments and buildings that are older and don't have them, all of that vast thing. Have you taken care of our safety in this era of danger and war and the Iranian proxy system coming to get us? That is the big issue, and then there are a lot a lot of smaller issues. Incidentally, that's the issue that gives the power in salience to the ult orthodox draft issue. If people hadn't all, if most Israelis didn't have a cousin, a father, a son, a husband who's been gone three hundred days in the last three years to war, the Hareadi draft issue would be much much weaker as a mobilizer. So that's that's the thing. But it's also important to say that maybe even the only thing that's bigger than that, and it's so fundamental we barely even talk about it as Israelis is the tribal issue. Most Israeli political parties represent social, political, or religious or sometimes ethnic tribes. There are among Jews and Arabs, among religious and secular. There are parties representing the secular liberal Jew. There is a party representing the secular progressive urban Arab. There's a party representing the Muslim conservative mostly Bedouin Arab, which is a different party with different interests and different politics to the party representing the urban progressive sort of elites or highly educated Arab community. There's Safardi Ultra Orthodox and ashk Nazi Ultra. Those are different parties even though they agree on every single issue and funding issues, and they vote together almost always. And so really, I think that the most important thing to analyze is rarely voting behavior. Is that tribalism likud is more is heavily represented by Mizrahi voters. The opposition parties, especially get Euilipede Bennett, are mostly Ashkenazi voters that divide between Arab World Jews and European heritage Jews. Is still reflected in voting patterns, and so Israelis vote their tribe kind of like in the rest of the Middle East. In Lebanon, for example, where the party represents more socioeconomic or cultural or religious group than it does any specific ideology. And that's very, very different from the United States.
Speaker 1: All right, So we have two minutes for the first break Aviv when they go in. How many people are going to vote on the fact that there has not been a commission into the causes of ten to seven? Is it large, medium or small?
Speaker 11: I don't know how to zero that out. Very nearly everyone who plans to vote for an opposition party believes that Nittagnell extended the war. Forty fifty percent depends on the bull depends on how you ask extended the war for political survival. Because this government was so afraid of the voter. This government banded together and held firm and is the first government in Israeli history to last its full entire term. Coalition systems generally large multi party coalition systems, like Israel, like Austria, like Latvia, they tend to as they near election day, they tend to have a problem, which is that the political parties that all sit in a coalition are all competing over overlapping constituencies, and they have to distinguish themselves from each other. And so the end of a government's life has all of these manufactured crises that always topple the government early because somebody wants to show that they care about them and they want to go into election day looking like they're fighting for something. And so no Israeli coalition, even the stable ones, have ever lasted their term. This one did, and that was a function of weakness, of fear of what the voters will.
Speaker 1: Do and say.
Speaker 11: So there's on both sides there's a huge question, a huge fear of what it is the voters are going to how they're going to respond to October seventh.
Speaker 1: I'll be right back, especially in my audience on Sea Span, have you ready? Gore will be with me for the next two segments don't go anywhere from Israel. We're talking about the Iran warn now from an Israeli perspective. And what's ahead? Is there a battle of the bulbs coming from Iran? They're talking that way? Have you ready? Gore? Can be listened to on Asked a Vive Anything? Stay tuned. Welcome back, America. I'm Hugh Hewitt, and welcome to my Sea Span audience for the first day. I hope you have enjoyed today. We'll be back Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday. Thanks to my friends over at Sea Sands, Sam Feist and Howard Mortman and the Gang. I think this is my fifty fourth, fifty fifth appearance on Sea Span. Good to be with you. I brought along a smart guy. Have youv ready?
Speaker 7: Gore?
Speaker 1: When the leading public intellectuals of Israel. He is the least correspondent for the Free Press the FP dot com. You can also listen to his podcast ask haveviv Anything? He has a substack have you read a Gore? And he has a pitch on the only one I subspect to actually because I get the benefit of inside baseball with America's most significant strongest ally and I don't think it's even close Aviv to the war with Iran. Do you think Iran is planning some sort of Battle of the Bulge analog given their statements of the last couple of days, which are ferociously argumentative and sort of leaning into combat again.
Speaker 11: Boy ye, If that's the analogy, I hope so, because the Battle of the Bulge was the end. It was the last effort, attempt, so to speak, Hail Mary of the Nazis to break the alined lines and punch through, but it was already a lost game. If that's where the regime is at, jeez, I hope that that is exactly what's happening. Yeah, they're talking about shifting to offensive operations. They're talking about strategic surprises. It's really important to remember about the Iranian regime when calculating the future of potential conflict with them. They don't have much. Their air force wasn't defeated by the Israelis or the Americans.
Speaker 4: It never flew.
Speaker 11: They don't have a meaningful military. All they have all they have built, what they have spent forty eight years building since the revolution is one of the world's most sophisticated suppression system internally against their own society, with a lot of Chinese technology really meant and built out, you know, purposely made for the suppression of domestic descent. That is world class. The best thing this government has done, you know, in forty seven years. They haven't really produced anything else in that otherwise wealthy, you know, their gas reserves are unbelievably huge, their talent is incredible, and yet it's a country that for forty seven years produces nothing because the regime is bent on nothing but suppressing descent, and so they don't have functioning, serious, capable, competent militaries, which means that if they go on offensive operations, as multiple Iranian generals have been announcing over the last few days, what they mean is that they're going to bomb their neighbors. They're going to cause disruption to the global oil supply. They're going to try and burn everything to the ground as a way of exacting costs to ensure their survival. That's really all they have, and they're looking to produce strategic surprises in that regard. If I was the Saudi government right now, I would be very worried. It's not an accident that the Houthis have bombed the Saudi oil refineries multiple times over the last couple of weeks. These are messages and if I was a golf Arab state, I would be worried even by the way one that has been very much a moderate toward Iran. Sometimes an ally of Iran attar Oman Iran might actually tackle them, attack them, just to say we're going to burn the whole place to the ground if you don't stop. So, yes, we should be looking for that very likely possibility that Iran is going to go offensive in that sense.
Speaker 1: Now, I can't get you to summarize a two hour program in five minutes that we have in this segment. But episode ninety three of Askaviv Anything is on Muktawa, the theory that animates the Iranian revolution. Do you want to take a swing at compressing that into four and a half five minutes of eve.
Speaker 4: That's easy.
Speaker 1: Let's try for three, Okay.
Speaker 11: The very very very short version is the Tullmud says, tell it to me while standing on one leg, would be something like this, the Iranian regime. And it's a tragedy that this deep idea is the rich and deep and century and a half old ideas that animate this regime, that are how this regime sees the world, which they write about and talk about in every speech and writings of Romanian Komne for decades. Completely doesn't interest the Western press, doesn't interest even government officials I've spoken to over the years, the Americans, because America is so unideological, it has a hard time believing that someone else could be profoundly ideological. The Iranian regime comes in the tradition of about a century and a half or two centuries of a really profound Muslim discussion.
Speaker 4: In the Muslim world.
Speaker 11: It begins in the Arab Muslim world, but it has all kinds of different arms and sort of sub conversations or different kinds of conversations all over the Muslim world.
Speaker 1: And it's a.
Speaker 11: Conversation about the source of Islam's find of Islam finding itself in the era, especially of the nineteenth century, of European Empire, weak and backward and poor. And that's not how Islam sees itself. It sees itself as a very powerful, conquering world, redeeming ideology and culture and religious vision. And there are many, many different theological responses to that, and reformists, and some of them are liberal and won't want to modernize. And you know, there are many, many different directions. Some become pacifist. It's a big, complicated world. Some of them argued that we have to The only way Islam becomes powerful again is if we return to this romanticized, imagined early Islam of the first generation of the Selahs of the We call them sellaphists because they talk about their forefathers or Selahs, and if we return to their piety, we will return to their geopolitical success because they were in sync with God's plan for history. They were a successful conquering civilization, and we will become that again if we return to God's plant up piety to upholding the Koran War. And this produces in the Egyptian Muslim Brotherhood in hamas in the Palestinian case, in the Akap Party of Turkey and the Katari government. Their official ideology is this kind of romantic return to the original Islam, and it produces very conservative Islam. Women's rights are men are very curtailed, and it doesn't modernize. These are not governments that build fine universities. These are not governments that produce large industrial bases, so it's not really been a success. Iran is the product of a kind of Shia version of that Kolmani learned from all kinds of theologians, a guy named Jalali and a scholar named Shariati and many names. In episode ninety three is two hours of essentially walking through these these ideas. It's a very very tiny little piece of this vast story. But Kolmani, who establishes the regime in Iran, basically argues that Islamic weakness is a sign of Islamic purity, that because of the original story, the founding story of Shia Islam, which Iran is Shia Shier Islam, is born in a battle in six point eighty and this is a place called Karbala in Iran. In Iraq, excuse me, where Iman Hussein, heir to the prophet, son of the Prophet, has a battle with the first U Mayad Calif named Yazid. Yazid is more powerful. Yazid defeats Hussein, kills Houssein and all of his followers, and that story of the true and the righteous and the faithful, even though they are weak, but they nevertheless carry on by inspiring future generations of martyrs and fighters and believers, which is to say, the Shia. They end up ultimately winning the grand arc of history and that sense of the weak but righteous and faithful overcoming the powerful and arrogant, which is how Romani interpreted America, the American led world order. Kromeni people who taught Homeni, who many learned from. They didn't literally these teachers, but he read them like Jelali and Shariati and others. Are also theologians who've merged Marxist ideas, anti imperialist ideas from none. And so the world is weak and powerful is divided between these two, and the weak have to defeat the powerful. That is essentially the Iranian and.
Speaker 1: That is Episode ninety three. Have asked Aviv anything which you ought to like and subscribe to everyone who's listening or watching me on the Sale News channeler she Span or hearing me on the Salem Radio Network. I have one more episode, one more segment with Aviv. Don't go anywhere because it's about us in America. Stay tuned, Welcome back America. I'm Hugh Hewett. Last segment with Aviv. Ready gore from Israel again You can follow him on Twitter at Aviv ready Gore. Read him in The Free Press. He's the mayor of least correspondent with the Free Press. You can also listen to his podcast, Ask Aviv Anything. You ought to join his patroon. He's got a substack as well. Haveviv ready Gore dot subsdeck dot com. Aviv in today's episode or yesterday's, I can't really know Professor Ruth Wise, who is fabulous, by the way, I hope I'm not lucid at eighty five or ninety or whatever she is. She made one statement that said, if the Jews aren't free in America, America isn't free. That stopped me in my track because it is manifestly true. And then you made a statement in the form of a question, is American culture collapsing? I'd like you to comment on her statement and answer your own question.
Speaker 11: America is the strangest country there's ever been, and Americans are the only people in the world who don't know it. There has never been a nation born out of an idea, and that idea was so overwhelmingly powerful and profoundly real to the people who built this nation that for the next two and a half centuries. The idea created a the world's largest, first successful, real large scale democracy, be the model that allowed everyone else to go and become democratic. Who became democratic? Nobody had ever done it before, nothing even remotely, not even ancient Athens, not the city states of Renaissance Italy. Nobody had done what the Americans did, and they did it because of this deep belief in the individual. Because of this deep belief in intellectual humility, people usually associate Americans with humility, but in fact, America's pragmatism is the only philosophical school born on American soil, not imported from elsewhere, and Americans really have Whether you read Jefferson or Lincoln or you know, the entirety of the American labor movement never went communists because the communists know too much. They claim to know the exact arc and mechanism of history, and the American labor unions, in explicit debates with communists and socialists over the course of the nineteen tens to eighteen nineties through nineteen thirties, said to them, you know, the American labor movement wants less working hours, a longer weekend, better conditions, for kids, kids not working in you know, minds. We always want the next thing.
Speaker 1: You guys have this vision of the end.
Speaker 11: Of history which is leading you by the way to terrible places, and to you know, this is me adding mass murder and the death of one hundred million people. Americans were always believers in simple humanity and individualism, and the Jews flourish there like they flourish Nowhere in the history of the world, there has never been a host country to a Jewish community where the Jews believe they were simply part of that country and where the country believed the same about them, and where it never broke down. There was the Jews were never told by the country, actually you've been mistaken all along, like in you know, Germany. Now, to say just America is not entirely accurate. Some anglophone countries in America's shadow, like Canada, like Australia, who very much take the tone, the cultural tone from America. Also true, but it's a function of America. And so if you know the story of the If the Jews are a bellwether of a society, right, when does Europe turn viciously and brutally on its Jews way beyond anything that happened to the Middle Ages. As the great empires are falling, the Russian Empire, the Australungarian Empire, the Ottoman Empire. These are the times and places where the new nationalism's rising up. The Jews have no place in this new world that's being formed, just like they were shunked at aside under the Empire. Well now, when everybody gets their place under the sun, the Jews had no place under the sun, even if they'd lived in you somewhere between Lithuania and Ukraine.
Speaker 4: For a thousand years.
Speaker 11: There was no place between Lithuania and Ukraine where they were allowed to say this is ours, and so with it go the Jews. How the Jews fare is a great bell weather for how a society fares, And that's through Thrice's point, I think, and my concern was mostly having to do I'll just cut to the chase with kids. Look we're going through right now. You feel it in American politics with DSA on one side and the radicalization of the podcast brows on the other. We're going through a period right now where the kids are on TikTok and various other kinds of tiktoks, and they're living in this algorithmically created sort of world information kind of echo chamber, and the parents are living off in a completely different place. And so you have a generational gap. And it's by the way, happening in Britain and France and Israel. It's not unique to America. It's a function of the structures of this new era. Probably in the history of humanity, it might be true. It's reasonable to believe that there has never been such a disruption of basic culture and basic information in the basic sense of the world than there is today. What the parents knew, the kids don't know. And so the kids are radicalizing into places that the parents don't even understand. And those fundamental, foundational, deep ideas that were America's strength are becoming lost in the new conversation.
Speaker 1: And that is the question in front of us in November in America, in October in Israel. And I think for elections down the road. I've always good to talk to you. Follow Aviv on exit Aviv ready, gore like and subscribe to ask Aviv anything, read him in the Free Press, join his Patreon community, join his substack, and of course come right back Bethany Mandel is next time, if you do a show born, I'm back America. I'm Hugh hewittt. We're on c SPAN too today along with Pluto TV and Roku and Amazon and Samsung and wherever there is live TV, and you can get us every day on TV if you want it. Hugh Hewitt dot com or at this inc dot com. I'm happy to welcome to c SPAN. Bethany Mandel. Bethany, of course, is one of the founders of the moom Wars dot substack dot com, co author of Stolen Youth, and a c SPAN geek like me. Now, Bethany, you weren't even born when he took up to my grandfather's house in Ashtabula. He was born in the nineteenth century and he started watching c SPAN the day it went on. He loved it. So you are a Sea Span geek. Huh.
Speaker 14: I was a Seaspan geek. I grew up watching c SPAN and I thought it was so cool that you could turn on your TV and just see Congress live. How crazy is that?
Speaker 1: It's not crazy. It was a public service, and the cable industry got together and they created this giant and then they want they went and got Brian Lamb to run it, who became the best interviewer in the world. Did you like Booknotes with Brian?
Speaker 12: No?
Speaker 11: I would.
Speaker 14: I got my thrills just from watching people meander on the house floor. That that was where I got my kicks.
Speaker 1: Okay, no wonder you moved to Washington, DC and married Seth Mandel. But when you or Seth, in fact, when Stolen Youth came out, did either Brian or Brian probably had retired by then. How about Peter Slim? Did you were you interviewed on Booknotes for Stolen Youth?
Speaker 14: I was not interviewed, but my one and only time besides right now, that I was on c SPAN, I gave a book talk for Stolen Youth at the Conservative Women's something or other and I gave a holep. It was aired on c SPAN multiple times. It was super fun, and every time it aired, I would know because I'd get emails from people saying, I just watched.
Speaker 6: You have se span.
Speaker 1: Sea span has saved American Publishing nonfiction division because, for example, whenever the Nixon Library has a host with an author with a good book, se SPAN will show up two out of three times. They'll do it for the Reagan Library, They'll do it for the Obama Library. I'm sure when they start doing a book events there, the Clinton Library, the Kennedy Library. They are nonpartisan. They're absolutely they're saving books. And I love that because they take authors seriously and they give them serious. Okay, now, it was fantastic.
Speaker 14: I sold so many books because of it.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Stolen Youth by Bethany Mandel. Bethany, you're following Aviv Riddy Gore. Do you listen to Aviv? Do you read Aviv? I do read him.
Speaker 14: I'm not as avid as a listener as you are, though.
Speaker 1: Okay, So Aviv was just on saying that the Israeli elections will not break until the end, and that we have no way of knowing which way it will break, and that it will essentially be tribal because Israeli's vote strategically in a way that Americans just don't grasp. Your assessment of his assessment.
Speaker 14: I believe him one hundred percent. First of all, he's there, and I you know, I'm not nearly as attuned to it, but that's My husband works for commentary magazine. His name is Seth Mandel, and he covers Israeli politics very closely also, and that's basically what he's saying as well.
Speaker 1: Right, second thing he said, which was more up your alley as author of Stolen Youth. Never before in human history has one generation been less connected to what their previous generation knew. In other words, that your children don't know what you know, and my children's grandchildren and my grandchildren don't know what my children know, because a disintermediating influence of social media has destroyed the means of transmitting knowledge and replaced it with social media. M Kissinger wrote about this by the book, By the way this last book leaders in the last chapter on the age of image replacing the age of text, very scary to think about. What do you think about that?
Speaker 14: I mean, if you look at the Lindsay Clancy trial that's happening live right now, the amount of disinformation that is being spread simultaneous to the event happening is terrifying. It's like there's two people watched, like there's one show and two people are watching two different editions of it, and that's simultaneous. We're watching the Lindsay Clancy trial happening live on television every day, and so if you pull back and you see through the lens of October seventh, which was almost three years ago. There's wildly different interpretations of what happened that day. If you want to pull back further nine to eleven, the same thing. And so, I mean, it's absolutely true.
Speaker 1: They also believe that we're not teaching American children about the uniqueness and greatness of America because they no longer have diss.
Speaker 14: I mean, if you look at the polling, if you look at the polling of civics teachers about what they think their job is. They think their job is to mobilize activists. They don't think their job is to teach civics. Look up Google Google civics teachers what they think their role is. It is terrifying. And we're also seeing this in our history classes. Our kids are learning that the founding fathers were not heroes, but they were slave masters. And that's how they think of George Washington and Thomas Jefferson and all of those people. And so if you take away everything that's special about our country's founding, you're taking away everything that's special about our country period. And we're seeing the drop in patriotism and the drop in pride in being an American and the importance that people place in that, you know, being American, just drop from generation generation, and unfortunately it's partisan. We're seeing a drop way way faster on the left than on the right, but I think we're seeing a drop on the right as well.
Speaker 1: And your comments on more stories, the Abraham Lincoln story, which I'll play at Jack Keene quote about in the next segment, and John Ossoff's horrific slander about Natalie Harp, with whom I worked occasionally to get stuff from and to the President. I just can't believe as a United States Senator would slander a female aid that way.
Speaker 14: I don't know what you're talking about.
Speaker 1: Don't look. But he intimated that the President was flying around with Natalie because they were intimate, and it's so discussed.
Speaker 14: That's really feminists.
Speaker 1: He should, he should, He should absolutely lose the election. Do you know about the Abraham Lincoln story?
Speaker 14: Nope?
Speaker 1: Okay, good for you. Stay off there. On vacation. Was it the giraffe?
Speaker 14: Yes, I was on l I was on Ellis Island yesterday.
Speaker 1: Oh wow, how did the kid?
Speaker 6: I was?
Speaker 10: They were they?
Speaker 8: They?
Speaker 14: They thought it was fine. I stood there weeping, thinking that the fact that all of our direct ancestors stepped foot in America in the room that Seth and I were standing in, and we were there with three of our six children, and I wept.
Speaker 1: I'm not proud, Oh no, I'm with you. James Hewett eighteen sixty eight came through Ellis Island. He lied by the way. He said he was from Scotland because of an irishman. He didn't want to be discriminated against. Didn't help. Still had to go to the coal mines in Pennsylvania. But eighteen sixty eight, that's Ellis Island for me. Glad you loved it. Follow Bethany at Bethany sean Dark or reader at the mom Wars dot substack dot com. You see Span two viewers the mom Wars dot substack dot com