Speaker 1: Life Audio on today's episode of Timeless Wisdom.
Speaker 2: So here's one today I want to I want to attack a cliche. Now, let me say a word about cliches. These are things, These are lines that are used over and over and they become a cliche. A haste makes waste is a good is a good example? Anyway, Haste makes waste is a great example. And it's true. Most cliches are true. Okay, However, there is there there there is a small fraction that is used and and just isn't true for And the one I'm dealing with today is the ends don't justify the means.
Speaker 1: That's coming up on Timeless Wisdom with Dennis Prager. Welcome to Timeless Wisdom with Dennis Prager. Here thousands of hours of Dennis's lectures, courses, and classic radio programs. And to purchase Dennis Prager Rational Bibles, go to Dennisprager dot com.
Speaker 2: Or not to be.
Speaker 3: That is the question?
Speaker 2: Where was God? Isn't God supposed to be good, supposed to love us?
Speaker 4: Does God want us to suffer ten years?
Speaker 2: You're not finished yet?
Speaker 3: Why did you go there?
Speaker 2: Who are you?
Speaker 1: Bruce?
Speaker 2: I'm God?
Speaker 3: Bingo?
Speaker 2: Yazi?
Speaker 5: Is that your final answer.
Speaker 3: Our survey says God.
Speaker 6: Bing ding ding ding ding ding ding ding.
Speaker 1: Well, it was nice to meet you God, Thank you for the Grand Canyon, and good luck with the apocalypse.
Speaker 2: Hello everybody, this is the Ultimate Issues Hour on the Dennis Prager Show. I enjoy this hour immensely feedback from you. Many or all or nearly all of you feel the same. I talk about some great issue in life on this hour and try to clarify it for you, and we have some really good dialogues. I just might add something I long ago made the observation that, ironically, though people tend to be wiser as they get older, they abandon talk about ultimate issues at a fairly early age. When you were in college, you know, you talk to kids at you know, at midnight or something if you weren't drunk about you know, is there a God? Is there an after life? What is good and evil? What is the purpose of life? And then after college, shortly afterward, one is preoccupied with the mundane. And I don't say it in a negative way. We have to be or we don't survive making a living, getting married, raising kids. I mean, these are the things that take up people's attention plus entertainment, of which there is a vast amount and a lot of it meaningless and some of it wonderful. And so what happens is we forget the ultimate issues discussions. Also, a lot of people make up their minds on issues when they're twenty or eighteen or twenty two, and that's it. I mean, how many of you have changed your minds on any big issue since you're twenty interesting question like capital punishment. It's not my subject today, but that's an example. Most people are against capital punishment at twenty, or against capital punishment at forty, and it's just they decided at that age and that was it, and there's no more to talk about. So it's a very good thing that we review this whole issue of the ultimate issues of life on the show now that we're adult. So here's one today I wanted. I want to attack a cliche. Now, let me say a word about cliches. These are things, These are lines that are used over and over and they become a cliche. A haste makes waste? Is a good is a good example? Give me give me a few more? Actually, well, and and and i'll and I'll analyze a stitting well of that, but nobody uses that. A stitch in time saves nine? If you William, did you ever hear that in your life? I'm telling you, Alan, you're dating yourself. Even I never used it, Na, but it's the cliche. Nobody uses anymore. Stitch in time saves nine. So if you said that to somebody today, they wouldn't have a First of all, I don't even know what it means. I mean, I know what it means. Do something in its time and then you'll save longer time. But you think I ever stitched anything to together to know what it means. Anyway, Haste makes waste. Is a great example, and it's true. Most cliches are true. Okay, however, there is there there is a small fraction that is used and and just isn't true. And the one I'm dealing with today is the ends don't justify the means. It is said so often, and it is said as if it's a given. The ends don't justify the means. Now, sometimes, of course that's true a silly example. So just to make it clear, I'll use a silly example, one that nobody could dispute. If your end is to exterminate the m. I don't know. Your house has become somewhat infested with cockroaches, right, and somebody brings along a bazooka and blows up your house. The ends getting rid of the cockroaches do not justify the means bazookaizing your house. Okay, we are all in agreement. In that instance, the ends did not justify the means. However, if your house were infested with terrorists who were intent on blowing up parts of your city, then the use of a bazuka may well be justified. Now, how then, does the same exact means using a bazuka to blow up your house or parts of your house? How is it in case one justified and in case two unjustified? The answer is because of the end. Of course, the ends justify the means. When you are fighting terrorists, a bazuka means the means of a bazuka is warranted. If you are fighting cockroaches, then the use of a bazooka is unwarranted. Now, the reason I sound so annoyed is because I am annoyed. That's why that I can't stand fuzzy thinking when people should think better. Sometimes the ends justify the means, and sometimes they don't end of issue. But to categorically state ends don't justify means is not true. Now call please, because if you have, you know, any doubts about this, or you think I'm wrong, or you want to give examples in either direction, I am all ears one eight prager seven seven six one eight p r a g Er seven seven six, which translates digitally to eight seven seven two four three triple seven six eight seven seven two four three triple seven six. You can say, of course, you can can say in this instance the ends don't justify the means. Of course that would be that would be appropriate. But to offer as a general rule that ends don't justify means is just wrong. I don't know how else means are justified except by ends. That's the whole way we know whether it's justified or not. Ends ends are exactly what justify means or they're not justified. How else do you know? Is the use of nuclear weapons justified as which means as a means overwhelmingly not? Was it justified in World War two? End World War two with Japan? I think it was the ends, saving millions of Allied and millions of Japanese lives justified the means of drop being an atom bomb on a city. I hate to say it. It hurts me to say it because of the suffering that it entailed. But it prevented so much more suffering of both Japanese and Allies that there was there was no choice. Now, you can agree, you can disagree, but at least understand the point that the only way to justify means or unjustify means is by their ends. So the whole cliche is meaningless and untrue, worse than meaningless. Half the time the ends justify the means. Half the time they don't. Uh, alrighty one A prager seven seven six eight seven seven two four three triple seven six. I cannot think offhand. Maybe some of you will remind me. I cannot think offhand. Uh of a more frequently used, incorrect cliche. See, war is not the answer is not a cliche. It's it's a silly, silly, silly bumper sticker. So it's it's but by the way, it's a it's an offshoot of the ends don't justify the means.
Speaker 4: War.
Speaker 2: War is never justified. That's what that's what it says. Basically, Okay, let's go to Dallas, Texas. Josh, Hi, Josh, Dennis Prager, thank you, Hey, I was just calling.
Speaker 3: To I think make a little bit of a clarification because some people, I think incorrectly use the end doesn't justify the means. I think that, of course good ends justified good means. But I think what really most of us mean when we say that is that you can never do good or you can never do evil, so that good may come. In other words, evil, Our good ends do not justify evil means. The example you use is something that I would say is perfectly acceptable because I don't think that there's anything intrinsically evil about firing a bazooka.
Speaker 2: So well, then what's intrinsically evil?
Speaker 3: Well, I think that there are. I think cold blooded murder would be interesting.
Speaker 2: Yes, but cold blooded murder the means was killing. Sometimes it's it's totally justified.
Speaker 3: You would make a distinction though, between murder and killing.
Speaker 2: I mean, yes, hold on with me, hold on with me, and it is a very important discussion. You see. My contention is that we only decide whether the means are evil based on the ends. That's my whole point. Back in a moment.
Speaker 1: This episode of Timeless Wisdom will continue right after this. Now back to more of Dennis Prager's Timeless Wisdom.
Speaker 2: Hi everybody, Dennis Brager Here the Ultimate Issues hour Tuesday, the third hour of my show, and if you don't get all three hours of the show, you should consider doing terrible things to your station. Joking joking joke alert, joke alert. The subject for today's Ultimate Issue show is taking on the erroneous cliche the ends never justify the means. Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't. I don't know of any other way in general to assess the justification of means except by the ends. Killing, right, Killing is justified in some cases depending on what the end is. If you're if the end is to get rid of a sharp shooter who was shooting children, then it's it. Then the ends justify killing. Uh. If it is a man going into a home and just murdering people, the ends being to shut them up so that they don't witness his burglary, then clearly the ends don't justify the means. All right, now, let's go. Let's go back here to Josh in Dallas. Josh, thanks for holding on and thank you for calling. So you were saying, if the means are evil, then they're never justified by the ends. But but but what is an intrinsically evil act? Just give me one no, no, wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait the act, the act is killing. You determine if it's murder, cold blooded or not by the context, by the ends. Correct.
Speaker 3: So, I mean what you're looking at is not just the objective. You're looking at the subjective and the relative. So in order for the right act, yeah, you have to have all of those be in line.
Speaker 6: Correct.
Speaker 3: The example I always used to explain this, and we have a really good example recently in the news is you know, abortion. I think it is an excellent end to seek the end of abortion, But to kill George Tiller in order to accomplish that end is not justified. Even though it's a great end to save the lives of little babies, it is not justified.
Speaker 2: But by the way, I will just say, I will just say, you picked a very difficult example. Incidentally, I don't I don't justify his murder whatsoever. I hope the guy is actually I hope he's I hope he is a given capital punishment the murderer. However, however, for those you do believe that it is mass murder, abortion uhh, the exact same moral equivalent as Nazi mass murder, Communist mass murder. It is hard. I don't know how you make the case that it is entirely unjustified.
Speaker 3: Well, I think you would have to. You have to look at what we call the principle of double effect, correct, where you don't ever intend to do evil, but the evil. You know some things that are nobody entirely listening.
Speaker 2: Nobody intends to do evil, very few people. The abortion doctor doesn't intend to do evil either. That's what intentions no matter. Listen to my Ultimate Issues show on intentions. That was I think the last one. Intentions don't mount to a hill of beans. It's what it's what one does, not when one intends. Look, you're obviously a thoughtful young man. I appreciate your call. Uh that was not a good example though, because uh, there is If you really do believe that there is that there is no difference between uh, abortion and or a doctor who performs let's say, a thousand abortions and a man who murders a thousand people, then I don't know how you exactly argue morally against killing that person. Now, I don't think it's the same. I am absolutely opposed to abortion, except in the case of saving a mother's life. But I don't use the language of mass murder for that very reason because I would have to actually if it is mass murder identical. And I'm not going to debate this now. This is not the subjects, so don't call in on it. Forgive me, you know, I'll happily talk about this another time. I talk about just about everything. But if one uses that language and means it literally, it is very hard to come up with an argument against shooting an abortion doctor. Which is no justification for shooting the abortion doctor, but it is an argument for not using the language of mass murder, mass humide, terrible evil, terrible sin, immoral. There are many things that it can be called and ought to be called, all right. So that's that's why it wasn't a good example. All right. Now, Again, our our our topic here is ends. Justifying means. That's exactly how means half the time are justified because we know what the what what our ends are. Okay, Long Beach, California and John hello, John Dennis Praeger.
Speaker 5: His call was great. You know, I'm I have to say it's gonna be tough to follow. But going back to one of the last examples he gave, how about allowing the harvesting of children in the womb for stem cell treatment. If he harvest one, beat us and the heal one hundred people, wouldn't it be worthwhile?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Well, that for a challenge, right though. It is a good challenge. That is why good people differ on this one. I never said from the beginning of this hour, I have not said, or in fact, I've said the opposite. I said, sometimes the ends do justify the means, and sometimes they don't. My argument is not that the ends always justify the means, of course not. My argument is that we should drop the cliche that the ends don't justify the means half the time they do. You have picked an extremely complex issue. I am opposed to the harvesting of nascent human beings of embryos for stem cell research.
Speaker 5: I am we could go I mean my whole I agree with him that. You know, I don't see how you can say, let us do evil and good they come and I can give you a couple more examples. I mean, you could you use the example of the Appams.
Speaker 2: Well, yes, the atom bomb.
Speaker 5: A lot of people on both sides or have good arguments, but why not just start every war with an atom bomb strike to save life if less people are going to die in the atomic strike.
Speaker 2: Because we assume, we assume that, well before that we can be victorious. You don't know, you are not a proper that who knows the future. Well, however, I will say.
Speaker 5: This, that's that's the way they made a decision in Japan. Like you said, they don't know the future, but they had a pretty good idea based.
Speaker 2: On there was no other way. It was clear there was no other way to end the war. That was a given. It was a given the number of people on both sides who would die if the bomb were not dropped. So you had to you had well, you know, certain things you do know in the future. I mean, you know.
Speaker 5: Uments on both sides. I've heard them both, and I.
Speaker 2: Don't think there is any good argument on the other side. I don't. But but if you if the very fact that you believe that there were good arguments for the atom bomb proves my point that the ends in that case justified the means, a means which overwhelmingly we would deplore the dropping of an atom bomb on civilians.
Speaker 5: There are a number of examples I can give no, no.
Speaker 2: No, wa wait wait wait just the wait wait it's not you're moving on?
Speaker 5: Do you what I'm saying? I just don't let good may come. That's the bottom line. I agree with the first caller that what you can't prescribe the means, what is right you must do, and what is wrong you mustn't.
Speaker 2: Okay, I feel terrible, but I don't think we got anywhere back in a moment.
Speaker 1: This episode of Timeless Wisdom will continue right after this. Now back to more of Dennis Praeger's Timeless Wisdom.
Speaker 2: Wow, this is fascinating. Pretty much have equal numbers of the folks religious and secular, right and left disagreeing with me. That's why I chose this, because it is such a widespread statement. The ends never justify the means or the ends don't you just toy the means that I've decided to think it through with you, because in fact, half the time the ends do justify means, and half the time they don't. So it's not worth making any generalized statement about ends and means because it depends on the situation. Well, I feel terrible about my last caller because we really got nowhere, and it's not by I mean nowhere is not that he didn't convince me, or I didn't convince him. It's that we were no clearer about where we differed, which is always troubling to me. I like clarity. I don't care if you agree with me or not at all, because I kept asking, and then we would move, or I felt he would move to another subject. And I said, if the very fact that you agree that there are two sides, at least, well that there are two sides. So the issue of was the atom bomb justified means you agree with me. Normally the means of dropping it Adam Baum on civilians is clearly evil, of course, But the very fact that there is a case where you even acknowledge it might not have been evil. I think it was correct means that the ends ending World War II, saving millions of Japanese and Allied lives was worth it. So it was the ends that justified those means. Now, there are things that can never be justified, or or I cannot imagine a circumstance where you take innocent people you and you adjust, and you sadistically perform experiments on them, like the Nazis did in their camps. We freeze people alive. And well, they said, well it was for medical research, Dennis, what if they found out some great cure that way, it wouldn't matter. It wouldn't matter that that is so intrinsically wrong. And by the way it was, it was not done for medical research. So it's a phony end in any event, because they did it for sadists, for the statistic reasons they would have given the people's sedatives they enjoyed, inflicting suffering. Okay, let's go to Kathy in sharn Ohio. Is that correct, Kathy Sharan Sharon, I knew, I am right. Our screen will be through Leah chastised.
Speaker 7: Yeah, we're between Cleveland and act and Ohio.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 7: I wanted to disagree with you, and I wanted to present it from a Catholic theological point of view. And I have a master's in theology in Catholic theology, and Saint Thomas Quine is taught that the first rule of morality is do good, avoid evil, which I think most people who could agree with and then from there. The Church in the Catechism specifically defines the three components of a moral act, and all three components of the moral act must be good for the act and its to be good. Those three components are the ends, the means, which is usually the act itself, and then the circumstances, which usually includes intentions. So first I want to disagree with you on the intentions. Good intentions never make an evil act good, but bad intentions can make a good act bad. In other words, say making love to your wife, but if you have a bad intention of inflicting pain or humiliating her, then you know that makes the the act bad. So all three of those must be good for an act to be morally good. As I said, so something right, Okay?
Speaker 2: So so yeah, So let's take let's take the Catholic woman who about whom there is a show Broadway play about the Irena up the Updyke, the Catholic religious, Catholic Polish woman who saved a dozen or more Jews in hiding because she slept with a married Nazi.
Speaker 7: That's evil, Okay, that's what.
Speaker 2: Your thinking leads to the belief that she should have let them all go to their deaths rather than sleep with the Nazi.
Speaker 7: No, well, she's doing an evil act.
Speaker 2: No, she's not.
Speaker 7: Sleeping with someone who's not her husband is an evil act. It's it's for anication or alter.
Speaker 2: Right, So you would have told her not to do it?
Speaker 4: Yes, okay, all right?
Speaker 2: Well all I can say is now you know why I am making war on the notion that the ends never justify the means. It leads to that that sort of thinking. I think the vast majority of Catholic scholars would not say that she she committed an evil, that it was a net good, by the way, and it's worth asking your priest about her. Irena Updyke, you're listening to the Dennis Prager Show.
Speaker 4: My name is Dan Oliver. I'm calling from Rogers, Minnesota, the suburb just outside in Minneapolis, and I just wanted to thank Dennis for the wisdom, the rational way of looking at things that's been an instrumental in my life. I started listening to Dennis about fifteen years ago, and oddly I was praying for peace of mind and wisdom, and you were introduced. And my life is not a utopia, but it has been improved, and I appreciate that so much of it has to do with Dennis Prager, So thank you. Dennis. If you're listening to this, please know you have made a huge difference in this person's life and it's cascaded into others that are close to me. Love you, take care, and thanks again.
Speaker 1: Are you enjoying timeless wisdom? We'd love to hear from you. Cal eight seven seven two three seventy seven seventy six and Labor Review. Share your thoughts or just even an encouraging word for Dennis. Your voicemail might just make it on the show. That's eight seven seven two four three seventy seven seventy six. That's eight seven seven two four three triple seven six. Thanks for listening and for your support.
Speaker 2: You're listening to the Dennis Praeger Show coming to you in Hindi with a simultaneous translation made to sound as if it's my voice. That's how simultaneous and excellent technology has become. Hello, my friends, it's the Ultimate Issues Hour. And I just mentioned to wats's name, uh that I don't think I ever chose a less a more contentious subject for the Ultimate Issues Hour than this one. I am convinced that it equally challenges an annoise, though I never race things to annoy challenge. Yes, not a noy right and left, religious and secular, and it'll probably be worth a second visit. I'll look at your mail, and I'm getting your calls of course now. And it is my dispute, my disputing the cliche that the ends never justify the means. Half the time they do. I use the atom bomb over Hiroshima. But this one is a really good one for at least for those of you who believe, well most of us believe, but anyway, the sinfulness of sleeping with a married man, or those who believe in the sinfulness of sleeping non maritally. This Catholic woman, who is a saint to in my view, who saved I don't remember the number. By the way, there is a magnificent to play. I was at the opening on Broadway. Irena is vow. You should all see it, those of you in the New York area and those of you visiting New York as tourists. It's magnificent. It will move you deeply anyway. It is the true story of this then very young Catholic woman who slept with a Nazi, a married Nazi, as it happens, in order to save twelve Jews. I think it was twelve. It might have been more who lived underneath that man's cellar. He would have exposed them and they would have all gone to a Nazi death camp. The vast majority of US thinks that she was simply heroic, religious or not religious for doing what she did. But if you think that the ends never justify the means, the ends here saving twelve innocent lives, the means sleeping with the Nazi non maritally and adulterously because he's married, well then you are consistent. The ends never justify the means. Saving innocent lives from torture is deaths. Isn't worth sleeping with a man you shouldn't be sleeping with, And indeed, my last caller believe that it's it's very much worth rethinking for those of you who have bought this cliche. Okay, one eighth, Well, I don't need to give you the number. Let's go to Let's go to Long Beach, California. Jerry, Hello, Jerry, Dennis.
Speaker 6: Prager, Hey Dennis, how are you doing?
Speaker 2: Okay? Thanks?
Speaker 6: My scenario has to do whether the act or means is intrinsically evil, And I want to know how this differs from Also, you know, your statement differs from utilitarianism. But let's say, given this scenario, torturing a three year old child would be intrinsically evil. But if let's say we'd did that in order to torture the three year old child of a terrorist in order to get him to talk, in order to save ten thousand lives. I largely agree with what you say, but we have to look at.
Speaker 2: Whether it be Jerry, the very fact that you're asking it is my point. I am against it, But the very fact that it is even debatable proves my point that we know the morality of the means most of the time, I mean always extreme examples do not reflect necessarily on a generalization. But Jerry, the very fact that you pose this question proves my point that you are that all of us recoil at the idea of torturing a three year old. Then you add these ends of saving ten thousand lives because the father of the three year old will talk. I mean, you know, look what about how about murdering a child? Do you know that There were Jews in the Holocaust who had to stifle a child's cries so that it wouldn't give a way the hiding area of a fifty of them. Is killing a baby wrong? Of course, killing a baby is wrong. Did the mother who killed her baby to sacrifice her baby to save the fifty lives? Did she do wrong? I don't think so. All I'm saying, folks, is that simple moral cliches the ends never justify the meat. It's just not true. All of life is an ends. Is it right to hit a child only if the ends are a proper a proper discipline, and it's done in a certain way. I mean, unless you believe it is. Look, I never hit my kids or slap them or what I've spanked them, whatever the word is. I'm not sure I was right. By the way talk about an issue, people ask Waring, you've changed your mind. I've changed my mind on this issue. I believe that done properly. I've spoken to so many people who got spankings or or the parent use their belt or whatever it is. And as awful as it sounds, these people turn out to be very wonderful. And most of the wonderful adults. I know this was done to them at some point when they were a kid. Now does it justify always? Of course not, of course not, but sometimes That's all My point is, as soon as you say sometimes the ends justify the means, drop the cliche. They don't always justify the means, of course not, but often they do. That's all I'm saying. So just drop this notion that the the the ends never justify the means. It was raised in the editorial of the Los Angeles Times condemning the removal of the of the Honduran would be dictator Zeliah, and I said, no, even if you was a would be dictator at the ends, don't don't justify the means while with the means. The Supreme Court of Honduras ordered ordered this that the man be removed from power. All right, final segment coming up, and happily receive your emails. This is exactly the sort of reason people subscribe to this show at pragueer Topia seven dollars a month.
Speaker 1: This episode of Timeless Wisdom. We'll continue right after this. Now back to more of Dennis Prager's Timeless wisdom. You found the reason to live on and not to die you were lucky Man Bullis scans, don't do it Tens and Sten using Steve Moltjoy. If you've gotten the secret, just time down the bullets tale.
Speaker 2: Man, Lucky, Hi everybody. Final segment of this edition. Could I have any caller who agreed with me the least that I took? Recall? But I have faith in my audience that common sense which God gave us, And it always disturbs me in my own religion or any other religion, when people make statements in the name of their religion that just so violate common sense. And it's disturbing because I look to Jews and Christians as a as a as a final hope here for the breakdown of the moral compass of humanity, and if and if there starts to break, it's hard to know where to look, isn't it. And I have been discussing the issue of the cliche that the ends don't justify the means. It is true in some cases. I began with one. You want to get rid of the cockroaches in your house, you don't use the means of a bazukah Okay, purposely picked a simple absurd one. You want to get terrorists in a house. You may have to destroy the house with a Bazuka's it's unfortunate. But then then you may have to man talked about torturing the three year old daughter of a or a son of a terrorist. A true terrorist would just think that the child is going to be a martyr. WOU wouldn't say a word anyway. I mean, it's its academic as it turns out so and in general, of course you don't do such a thing. But it is the ends that make that make us capable of judging the means. In most cases, that's just the way it is, whether it's the Adam Baum over Hiroshima, or it was Arena Updike sleeping within the married Nazi to save the twelve Jews. So that's that's the opportunity one has. This is a great learning thing. By the way, if you want to talk to your your kids about great moral issues, it's whether you agree with me or not. There's a great example why people do go to Pragatopia, which is to subscribe to this show for the grand total of seven dollars a month. You also get every every day Alan's articles that he sends to me with his comments. I think that's worth more than seven alone, and that is available at You can download it and it's yours any time you want share it with anybody you want at the Dennis Prager dot com or at Prager Radio dot com. I look forward to your emails. Thank you for listening. This is Dennis Prager.
Speaker 1: Tomorrow on Timeless Wisdom with Dennis Prager.
Speaker 2: Today, I want to talk to you about women and depression. And there are many aspects to this. This is not the only time on the Male Female Hour that I will discuss it, and by the way, of course, you can have a show on men and depression, but from the perspective that I am going to deal with it today, I'm specifying women, not because only women get depressed, that is not the case, of course, but because I want to give specific reasons for female depression that you don't normally hear about.
Speaker 1: Join us tomorrow to hear more on Timeless Wisdom with Dennis Prager. Visit Dennispragger dot com for thousands of hours of Dennis's LECTUREUS courses and classic radio programs. To purchase Dennis Prager's Rational Bibles. We want to take just a second to thank the team at Life Audio for their partnership with us on the podcast. Go to lifeaudio dot com to find dozens of other faith centered podcasts and their network, including shows about prayer, Bible study, parenting, and more.