Speaker 1: Life Audio, Hello and welcome. We are so glad you joined us. I am Milana, I'm here with Jamie. How are you.
Speaker 2: I'm doing great.
Speaker 1: This is a special joint episode. You know what would be really silly is if we pretended that we were joined by the co hosts of another really really cool show and had like a four way conversation. But literally it's just the two of us because technically we're the co host of two different podcasts.
Speaker 2: It's true, yeah, so we basically would have a conversation with each other click we do every week and ourselves.
Speaker 1: So welcome. Whether you are listening to us in the Praying Christian Women Feed or the Christian Truo Crime Juckie s Feed, We're so glad you joined us. We're doing a combined episode and a slightly different format from both shows today. Full transparency. Some of that is because of the script that I thought I had ready for Christian True Crime Junkies disappeared, so I didn't have a case ready. But we are in summer mode and lots of random life things are popping up, and so we for sure wanted to get this out there and figured it was better to get something a little more unscripted out there than wait until we had a perfect true crimes beginning to end story to tell you about. And just so you're aware, especially in the true Crime Junkies feed, we are probably going to be going to a little more sporadic just at least over June, so we might not be quite every single week, but we will do our best to stay as regular as we can.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm going to say that if we had done the thing that you said with misleading our listeners and thinking there were like other hosts from other podcasts that could be considered like kind of.
Speaker 1: Scandalous, would be a little bit scandalous. It might even be something that would get us canceled.
Speaker 2: Not that those are you know, segues into our topic or anything, but we.
Speaker 1: Don't care about Sigmunds, especially in our unscripted shows. No, we're going to be talking about church scandals, and we will be presenting this a little bit more from the Christian true crime junkie side. But the question is not what's the most salacious church scandal we can tell you about? It truly is more like what do you do when you find yourself hurt because of a church scandal that you were directly or indirectly or five times indirectly removed from, which is why we're also going to put this up on our Praying Christian womenfeed because my theory is that you cannot be very involved in a church body for decades of your adult life without getting hurt. And a lot of us are not going to be untouched by a church scandal of some kind.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we talk a lot about in our prayer lives, in our day to day lives about being prepared. So like in your prayer life, you want to kind of fortify yourself and prepare yourself with resources for the times when you're spiritually fragile, you know, and with the crime stories we talk about, we talk about being prepared ahead of time, educating yourself. And I just feel like this topic is something that if we can look at it when we are not fragile, like when we're not in it. For those of us that are fortunate not to be in the midst of a scandal right now from you know, a hurtful thing, I think it can prepare us to respond in a godly way, in a biblical way, in a healthy way when it does eventually happen or maybe for those who have experienced it to help them maybe process some of those things in a more healthy way, to kind of try to get healthier and move forward in their lives.
Speaker 1: Exactly. People who are outside of the church looking in probably cannot understand the degree to which a church scandal ripples across everybody. So, you know, let's take the very most obvious, at least non mega church celebrity pastor scandal, and that would be a pastor is accused of adultery and the church is thrown into chaos because of it, and the pastor has to resign. Outside looking in, it's easy to say, oh, that's really hard for the pastor's family. That's going to be hard for the people in the church who are therefore required to step in and fill in the pulpit and decide how to find another pastor. And if you don't dig deeper, it kind of ends there, and you don't think about the impact it has on his family, on everybody in the church, people who hadn't been to that church in ten years. But imagine you're a kind of wavering belief and you've been away from church for ten years and you find out that the pastor who led you to Christ, you know, fell into sin, and that could absolutely lead to a crisis of faith in certain people. And let's come right out and say it. The church is not good about handling victims of abuse or scandal. I have friends who I'm friends actually with both the wife and the daughter, and the husband slash father was a pastor who committed adultery and resigned from his position or respired. I wasn't around at that point in time, but the kids and the whole family were shunned. It wasn't like, we are so sorry that your family is going through this really really hard time. It was, oh, no, you can't go play with little Sally not her real name, because you know, we wouldn't want our precious little five year old to catch adultery, you know, or to be tainted by playing with you. So it has very huge ripples that a lot of people don't think about. Or maybe you're three times removed, right, So in this quasi hypothetical case, maybe you're like now married to Sally and you're watching all of this stuff that she went through when she was a little girl, and you're wondering why this is impacting your life now. So much, and you might be thinking, Oh, I shouldn't be dealing with this. I'm so far removed from this. So many people got hurt more than I ever have. This is minor in comparison to other people have gone through, and so you either feel guilty for not forgiving and moving on, or you feel like maybe you're being self absorbed by still not being able to get over it, or maybe you're like emotionally stunted because this is still an issue for you. So I think it's a really important topic to discuss.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I do think so, because, like you said, I think people who have not been through a church scandal, I kind of liken it to maybe someone who hasn't been through a miscarriage. I don't think it's possible to fully understand the impact it has until you've gone through it, Like for me personally, Like I have not been through a miscarriage, and I can understand in my brain like how devastating that is and has to have been for those who have been through it. But I fully am aware that I can't allow, like I there's something that doesn't allow me to process the depth of that pain and internalize it because I know it's so painful. I think it's similar with someone who hasn't been through the church scandal thing. I think you can be outside of it and just not quite process the extent to which the betrayal goes. I just think of when my car was you know, I left the doors unlocked and someone rifled through my dad's car when I was a kid, and how deeply violated I felt from that small thing, and then thinking extrapolating like someone who's had their entire home ransacked and you know, or been violated in other ways. Like basically all what I'm saying is I think talking about it is important because I think we need to validate the ripple effects of church scandals and also like educate people that don't quite understand, maybe and so that they can prepare themselves ahead of time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think that the one way that people can empathize even if they haven't gone through. And this is just me speaking from my experience, but memoir really helps me to like live it in someone's shoes more than most other mediums deal. I think my favorite church scandal memoir, which sounds like a phrase I never expected to say, but when I definitely recommend it's called Why I Stayed, And her name is Gail, and you would likely I forget her last name, you would likely maybe you could look it up all I'm telling you about it, you would likely recognize the name of her and her husband. But he was very high up in an evangelical Christian association and was accused of lots of sexual immorality. And her memoir, obviously called Why I Stayed is partially her explanation for why, even though she had biblical grounds of where she didn't. But even more so, it really opened my eyes to how Christians treated her and her family who were the very most in need of love and support. Is it Gail Haggard? Yes? Yes? What's her husband's name, Ted Haggard? Do you remember his story? Does that name ring a bell to you? This would have been a decade or two ago.
Speaker 2: Yes, And I so it's the New Life Church in Colorado Springs. I'm trying to place him because the name sounds familiar.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, sadly scandals like this, specifically with sexual immorality, and again sadly immorality that is even more outside the realms of I committed adultery with a heterosexual consensual partner are getting more and more common, and I think we have multiple ways to look at this. I think the worst way to look at it is all Christians are terrible. You cannot trust anybody. People are sick and disgusting. So we don't want to go all the way over there. We absolutely you and I are never in any public forum going to ever condone covering up sins against victims for the sake of keeping up appearances or anything like that. And sometimes the worst crime is the cover up, and sometimes you get entire denominations complicit in that. And for people who need to hear it, I am not talking solely about the Catholic Church, although that's where I think this first ripple of hearing about some of these scandals came up. But there are many other Protestant denominations as well that are accused in very heinous ways of having widespread knowledge of not only pastors who have fallen into the sexual sin of consensual adultery, but pastors who are predators and should not be behind a pulpit and should likely be in prison, and they are being shielded and protected by their denomination.
Speaker 2: And often promoted and lauded.
Speaker 1: Yeah, is sick.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like you said, the name the denomination, and there's been scandal, and some of it has been extremely public, some of it's been you know a little bit more here and there. But the thing that I has kind of opened my eyes was our conversation about adult clergy sexual abuse, which makes me look at quote adultery from the pulpit in a different way. And I truly do believe that there are cases where there are you know, pastors who have congregants that maybe there is.
Speaker 1: Mutual consensual stuff going on.
Speaker 2: That's simply you could probably categorize it as an affair. But when you have that power gradient, it always it just needs to be like looked at more closely. And it just makes me wonder where the line is there. And I know there are some people that would say where there is a power gradient, it's always abuse, and I don't know, Like I mean, I definitely believe it's unwise always, But when you have like pastors getting married to people that weren't their wives before, I don't know. I just I wonder what the line is there. And I know that's a different conversation. I would encourage our listeners to go back to the Christian True Crime Junkies episode on adult clergy sexual abuse, which I don't remember the exact episode, but we do have a really good conversation that when I hear some of these high profile cases coming out and it's adultery or he stumbled, some of these victims are coming out later and claiming that they were actually you know, like abuse, ruins, abused, exploited and then basically thrown away by the church and vilified and made to look like temptresses or something that came and caused this upstanding man of God to stumble and tools of the devil, while these guys go and get promoted and they're shunned and basically you know, turned away. So I believe there's my personal belief is there's a spectrum. You know, I think there's absolutely a spectrum of how this happens behind the scenes. But I just really I think that when the word affair comes up, I think we need to look a little bit more carefully into is this really just a case of a stumble or is this a predator? Is this person grooming people and praying on people?
Speaker 1: Yeah, And just to add one more level of nuance, sometimes a pastor will be prey to a seductress. Right, there's a certain personality type that wants to exert power by kind of sexually tempting the one person who's supposed to be the least possible to tempt. So there's never a clear one size fits all. I think it's going to go from every extreme. It's going to go from the extreme of two consenting adults who are still actively engaged in a very sinful activity to a male pastor in authority abusing that power and manipulating women to sleep with him. And on the opposite side of that, or maybe like the full circle side of that, is the woman who sees the pastor as the mount everest of conquests. And it's sort of like, well, if I can make my pastor fall into sin, then you know I've got all the power in the world and everything in between. And then you know, let's also go ahead and say there's absolutely criminal activity that would be outside of all of those scenarios. I don't think we even need to go into like debating whether or not those are appropriates or not. Now. I love that you included a just for fun question for this like very very heavy topic, and it actually is like a pretty fun question. So before we go any deeper, and just for our heads up, so you can be thinking, I do want to know if you've been touched by any type of scandal like this, but before we dive into that are actual fun just for fun question, is what Bible character would absolutely get canceled today for their behavior? David, Yeah, he's a I mean, there is no way around it. Okay, adultery is bad enough. We have no idea how willing bath Sheba was. The Bible is totally silent on that, so we can only guess, but at the very best we can call it adultery and then like murder line, cover up. And I am just floored because he would be so vilified today, and most of us listening would probably if we didn't know it was King David would be like, well, yeah, rightly. So like if I came to you and I said, like, I listened to this beautiful worship song it's by this really cool pastor he's got this like funky story, or like he sucked with this woman that he saw out bathing and then he ordered her husband to be killed so he could marry her. And the song is so beautiful listen to it. You would probably look at me like what has happens to my friend? So yeah, handstand know there is I mean, there's a lot of people who would get canceled and milified, but nobody quicker than David. And I think it makes the question would we be wrong to be like, no, this man cannot preach and write hymns for our churches today? Like do that a wrong reaction?
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's a really interesting I had never I had always looked at Oh, yeah, David was imperfect. He did these terrible, sinful things, and yet he was a man after God's own heart. But we read his psalms and we still allow him to guide us in biblical authority when we have this thing New Testament, and you know, basically, if your house isn't in order, if you're you know, I don't know if it's you're currently living in center. Maybe because he was repentant and put those ways behind him. I don't know. It's interesting. It's an interesting thing to bring up. And speaking of New Testament, I think Paul would be canceled.
Speaker 1: Today.
Speaker 2: Women are to be silent, women are toware coverings, no jewelry, and men do whatever you want now, I mean, I don't know. Yeah, there are some cultural nuances that he said that that I think would cause him to be canceled in our you know, modern church.
Speaker 1: It would be funny to go through you and I did it once. We did a true crime episode on the Stony of Stephen. But it would be fun to retell some of these, like very well known Bible stories in the style of a true crime episode, you.
Speaker 2: Know, Yeah, and see if you could guess, yeah, see if you could guess the the person.
Speaker 1: Yeah, or even just be thinking about it in such a different way to be like, oh, this actually is weird to be singing songs by somebody who did all of these terrible things. And I'm not gonna cancel David, and I'm not going to can soil Hillsong or any of these other denominations or movements that we're probably going to talk about and maybe name my name, which I just did, who have had stuff come up about them that is problematic. You and I recorded it must have been for praying Christian women. We recorded an episode on what do you do with the music of somebody who has fallen into scandal? Yeah? And I think you were a tiny bit surprised that I was so lenient. I was like, well, if you do start censoring every single songwriter based on their personal life, that leaves you with nobody.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And though that was such a good point because You're like, I have strong feelings on this, so I figured you're very much on the other side of it. So that was a really good point. And I love the perspective of David being you know, I mean, we have for praying Christian women, we have prayer through the psalms, right, and I've fallen in love with David's Psalms, and here he is like about as sinful as it gets.
Speaker 1: But yes, so are you ready to wrap up our just for frond segment? Are you ready for the dumbest Bible nerd joke that I came up with all by myself And I am so proud.
Speaker 2: Of I'm really impressed. I've got to hear it.
Speaker 1: I gotta hear it. Hey, what did the ear nose and throat doctor say to the psalmist when he came in a hoarse voice? What say law? Did it take you a second? It did? I'm like, say what I say? Law?
Speaker 2: That's good.
Speaker 1: I was pretty proud of myself. Anyways, pretty that is impressive.
Speaker 2: You need to start. You've been telling jokes on our We need to create like a true crime praying Christian women like a lot of joke book, because you've you've been telling some some like corny jokes, but that are funny.
Speaker 1: So you know what, there is nothing better than a corny joke. I mean, there are lots things better than a corny joke, but corny jokes are still pretty good.
Speaker 2: I love corny jokes and puns.
Speaker 1: All right, So tell me, have you ever been touched or what's the closest you've been touched by a church scandal along the scope of what we're discussing. I would say.
Speaker 2: Probably a member of a congregation I was part of. After I left that congregation, there was a very disturbing arrest of a prominent member of our congregation. And yeah, that was shocking and I wasn't even part of the church anymore. Yeah, and I just remember, like my world was crushed, Like my worldview. I like, you know, grew up around this person, and he was an amazing father. He seemed like the perfect husband. Like I was envious of their relationship growing up. I was like, Man, I hope my marriage is like that, And so it just made me realize the like I feel like I'm not. I mean, in some ways I'm gullible, like jokes my kids will tell me and stuff. But when it comes to people, I feel like I can be discerning. I am an optimist, but I also feel like I can catch a something's off vibe. You know, at least I gave myself that that knowledge. So while it didn't affect my day to day because I had since gotten married and moved on with life, it was shattering, like it shattered my sense of reality for that to be possible.
Speaker 1: M hmm. Yeah. Can you tell us a little bit more about that for somebody who's looking in and I totally get it, but pretend I have never gone to church, and I'm like, well, you weren't even at this church. This person never hurt you specifically or anybody hopefully that you knew or cared too much about. That sounded kind of bad, but you know what I'm saying. So why would this shake your faith when it didn't directly impact you and people that were the closest to you.
Speaker 2: I think it is because for someone who isn't part of a church, or who never has been your church many times becomes like your extended family. You know, we didn't just see them once a week. We saw these people all the time. And church, I think is a safe place. We go there because we expect that everyone, even though we ourselves are inherently sinful and imperfect. I think we go there and expect that the collective body is out for everyone's good. And I think that that safety and that like what you consider to be transparency, because think of like a Sunday school class or you know, when you're sharing conversation with people, it tends to be on a deeper level than a water cooler. You're talking about spiritual things. You're talking about your life, you're talking about your you know, desire to be more like Jesus. A lot of times you're vulnerable and you're sharing things, and so I think it just gives this illusion that everyone's guard is down. Everyone is you know who they say they are, And the truth is none of us are. We all have stuff we keep behind closed doors. But when it becomes something that damaging, you're just like, how could I how could that have been in plain sight? How could I have not known or picked up on it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we had a scenario that was a little similar, same type of crime, and it came out after we had already moved. And I remember, so I'm curious if you struggled. I remember feeling guilty. There was a sense of I should have done some thing because in my case there was an inkling. And I even told Scott about the inkling. But you can't call the police because of an inkling. And no, you really probably shouldn't even go to the pastor unless it's a really really strong you know, that's a big thing. It would have been a huge accusation with no founding other than goosebumps, you know, and that kind of stuff. And especially to women listening, those goosebumps and those feelings are a gift from God that your body gives you. I'm not going to go so far as to say it's the Holy Spirit. I'm just going to say God has given us the ability to sense danger as a way to protect ourselves and our children and our families and our communities. So do not disregard and pooh pooh those feelings. However, I remember I actually had two scenarios like this the other scenario, it was like I knew that the sin was coming, but it hadn't happened yet, so I was just kind of like watching and waiting. And then when it did happen and it made a pretty big splash and hurt a lot of people, again, I felt guilty. It was like, well, should I have done something? So what do you think about that? Did you experience any feelings like that?
Speaker 2: I didn't, because I think because I was so far removed from it, and when I was part of that congregation, I was younger, and so I guess I didn't. Really I didn't have I guess you could call it guilt. It wasn't guilt as much as like a correct perception of reality all things, I mean, in the same way, only on a different level and obviously more much more different. When you find out someone has been cheating on you, Like I had a boyfriend that I found out was cheating on me, and I had this perception of what our relationship was. When I found that out, it was like kind of your world cracks and shatters and you have to, like, you know, the tectonic plates shift and you have to sort of reassess everything you know and it was that same type of thing. But I wouldn't say there was guilt because yeah, because I didn't have an inkling and I wasn't as an adult fully formed in the way I would take ownership. Do you know what I mean? Like, if it happened now, i'd question myself, but yeah, back then I didn't so much.
Speaker 1: Yeah, after finding out years after I'd been removed, I would say for people who are struggling with that guilt, I mean, it can come in multioys, it can come in why didn't I see this coming? Kind of in the same way that you started questioning yourself, like, well, if I got hoodwinked by this guy, what else might I be wrong about? Or you know more For me, it was like, well should I have done something? Like could I have stopped this? And what I came to realize because I wrestled with it a lot, and I think where I settled is premonitions a lot of time, especially if it's premonitions about other people. Right Like if I had a premonition about my own child, that would be so different, but premonitions about other people. I think my default has turned into I have received this premonition, so that I can pray over this situation, and I never assume that the premonition is there so that I take some type of action beyond prayer, and then if the prayer leads me to do something else, then I do it. If not, the way I look at it, it's almost like imagine the guilt you'd feel if you had a bad feeling about someone going on a car trip, you didn't say anything, and then they got in a really bad accident, and so you're left wondering, like my responsible for my loved one's death because I didn't say that I had a bad feeling about this accident. And where I have come to land is that that is too much guilt for human shoulders, Like that's God territory. That's like sovereign God territory. But where I would land on that is you get the premonition, you pray, and then if in prayer you're led to say something, God will tell you that you're supposed to say something. If not, So if I got a premonition, this is all hypothetical that there was going to be like something wrong, Like I'm nervous about my husband taking this road trip, and so I go to pray and I don't get the sense of you need to bring this up to your husband, so I don't, and then something devastating happens on the road. Where I go to is not I am responsible for my husband's accident, because again I think that's too much authority on a person and not on the Lord. But where I go to is because I prayed it turned out better than it would have otherwise, and so that's how I handle the girl. I've got multiple story stories of times where I wish I had prayed with somebody or wondered if I was supposed to have shared a premonition but didn't, And that's where I have settled on. It's my premonition led me to pray, that prayer made the outcome better than it would have been otherwise.
Speaker 2: No, I think that's a very safe and humble, like right where you're supposed to be way to deal with it, because if you're too willy nilly with dishing out premonitions like you could do some damage and to put it in God's hands to the point of like, well, I remember a time completely unrelated to church scandal, but like my mother in law was supposed to be watching our kids while like our kid at the time it was only one. It would have been the first time I would have been away from our son when he was little, and my husband and I were going to go off with some friends to see if football came in Nebraska or something, and the morning we were supposed to leave, she was like crying, and I mean we had plane tickets, everything, and she was crying and she was like, I just I don't think you should go. She's like meeting me, She's like, I think if you leave, I just have a bad feeling about how this is going to go with our son. Anyway, it was it was a long story, but basically she and she's like, I have been praying about this since two in the morning, fighting God on it. Not wanting to say this to you because I know you're good, you know, I don't know what else to say. But she's like, I just I feel like this is not like you're not supposed to go right now. And I don't know what it was about in retrospect, but what I know about my mother in law is that she is an amazing woman of God. She would do anything for us or her grandkids. And it was way at a character for her not to stay there and be with, you know, and watch him. So I have to believe, and I believe firmly that there was something and they go without you or yeah, my husband, Yeah, Matt went without me with everybody. And I cried the whole way to the airport and Bob, I was like, I needed this so badly. You know, I hadn't been away from him in you know, a year, however long it was, and I was so looking forward to it. But I trust and even then, as disappointed as I was, I was never mad at her, and I was never ever I didn't ever doubt that she heard from God, because I know that she was praying all of those hours, and so all of that to say, if you're praying and you feel God just pushing and pushing and pushing you to say something, that's one thing.
Speaker 1: Exactly, because here's another way to read it, you know, knowing what I know of your mother in law, and I don't think i've ever met her, like I think everybody did exactly what they were supposed to do. I could see another scenario where there's just a grandma who's really nervous to be alone with the grand baby, right and turns that into an anxiety spiral, and then her brain just kind of warps that into God told me that you shouldn't do this right, And so that's why it's always you always have to check the source. You always have to just take everything with that grain of salt. Always go back to your own prayer closet with it. Never, no matter how godly somebody is, if there's no other takeaway, especially when we're talking about how easy it is for church scandals and for church leaders to fall into horrifics and never an individual at their word, no matter how how close you are to them. You know, I mean very very small exceptions. You know, you and your husband, you and me, you and your mother in law, Like somebody that you know is going to like jump in front of that frame for you, and you trust their spiritual instinct. Still pray about it, but you know it's it's not the same as like sometimes like just keep your guard up and never put it down. Like if I'm just walking through Walmart and some person just comes up to me and starts rambling that God's going to do something terrible to my kid, I'm not giving that person any spiritual attention like, if anything, I'm going to be praying hard for protection against that person, do you know what I mean? And I will also trust that if God truly has a message for me, that He's going to deliver it to me in a way that I'm going to understand. Like that's why angels didn't come and speak in foreign languages to you know, the Old Testament prophets, or if they did, like somehow the prophets knew exactly what they were saying. Like, so God's going to talk to us in ways that we get And for me, that's not going to be the weirdo who comes up and wraps on my window at a red light and scares me, you know exactly.
Speaker 2: And yeah, I mean it's like anything any kind of advice, any kind of word from the Lord or anything like that. Yeah, it's need to use caution.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Well, and presumably nothing terrible happened to you, your child or anybody who went to the football game. Correct.
Speaker 2: No, And to be a little bit more clear, it was I believe the context of what she felt was that it would be traumatic for him for.
Speaker 1: Me to leave.
Speaker 2: I can't remember how old he was, but you know, she lived states away they had not had a whole live interaction. Yeah, and so it had to do with his response to me being away when we were so attached. And yeah, again she is the kind of like she was really looking forward to staying with him. So again it went completely against what she would have chosen, which gave her and me kind of that confidence of like, yeah, that it doesn't add up. And since then they've watched our kids tons of times and never had any bad feelings, so I don't.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Anyway, Yeah, it didn't have to be something hugely dramatic. It could have been something as simple as like nothing horrible would have happened at all. Like I love thinking that God has every single multiverse opportunity in his brain. I'm not saying that I believe that there's like an infinite number of Jamie's who all made different decisions, but I think we see it in Matthew, where Jesus says, if Sodom and Gomorrah had seen what you see today, they would have repented. So at the very least, Sara, are certain scenarios where God knows the hypothetical what if he knows what it would have happened? And what I love to think is maybe had you gone, nothing terrible would have happened that day, Nothing terrible would have happened that year, maybe ten years from now. You're going to need to trust a strange word from the Lord that comes through your mother in law or comes from somebody else, and because you've practiced doing that, you're going to make the right decision in that moment, and you're going to save your child's life. Right Like, we never fully know all the details, but what I'm saying is I think there's a certain personality, and I will go ahead in public peek confess I might fall into this personality. I had been your mother in law, there would have been and I would have hated this aspect of myself. But I'm guessing there would have been an anybody fraction that almost wanted something bad to happen, like nobody to get hurt, but just so that I could be like, oh it right, you know, so that so that I could give myself that pat on the head, and also so that I could not feel like I was the crazy lady who flaked out on my sun and his family. But we don't. We're not given that benefit. I love that asen says, you remember that quote in Narnia. Asthen says it in a couple of the different books. I think he says suddenly like we never get to know the the what ifs, but he says it, I think in a more poetic way, and so we don't know, but don't. What I'm saying is, inasmuch as you can in that say you don't wish for the bad thing to happen to prove yourself right. It's way better for everything to go totally right and for you to look a little bit like you overreacted.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and in that case, who knows, developed antally there might have needed you their attachment wise, that really had to happen at that critical part of his development, and we will never know, but.
Speaker 1: He might not be at west Point right now if it hadn't been for that decision. Then I wish I had gone yeah, right, yeah, Now, well back to scandals and things. I would love to end with just I think we've talked about the empathy that we can have and showing how the ripples are farther reaching than you would expect, and I would love to close with what to do if you are in that ripple? Right, now, or just takeaways that you can hold on to, like a life raft that you can keep under your seat in case you ever are in that ripple. So, I guess imagine that you are involved in a scandal that does hit a lot closer to home than anything you or I have gone through before. What truths would you hope that in the worst of those moments you would have to hold on to?
Speaker 2: I guess the first one is just that no matter what happens, God is in it, even when it doesn't look like it, even when it looks like what you thought God was has been shattered, because you might think, well, of course God is going to protect. Of course God is going to make sure that corruption stays out of his you know, holy place. So I think definitely remembering that God is all in all things. God is at work for those who love Him and who are called according to His purpose. To realize that it's okay to grieve, and it's okay to be angry, and it's okay to take a break if you need to that, you know, I mean, I know sometimes there needs to be a time of separating yourself out. And I'm a proponent of meeting with the body of Christ. But if you need to step back temporarily to heal, to regroup, to process, to figure things out by all means. But at the same time, I would say, please, don't disconnect and take a break from God. You know, during that time, just remember that God can handle your anger, he can handle your frustration, He can handle you beating your fists against his chest and asking why, and to do that in his direction rather than running away and trying to process it yourself, because that's not going to end well, you know, it's just going to end with a lot of pain. You're still going to have the pain you're just going to have. You know, You're going to block yourself from God's work to help you heal. And I think the thing that I am not sure I'm qualified to answer is the question of what do we do with Absolutely we know what to do with the victims. We love them, we strive for restoration and conversation, we believe them. But what do we do with the person who was responsible for the fall?
Speaker 1: Yeah? No, the Bible I think has a perfect prescription of that. You take him out the city gates in new Stonam. Yeah, right, that's all. That's literally all there is a camp. No, of course, everybody knows I'm being facetious. That is a very hard one because I think we need to put church leaders who fall into scandal into camps. I think we need to put some into the camp of a believer who fell into sin and was remorseful and a narcissist who joined church leadership because they like being in that position of power, and they like being surrounded by yes men and yes women, and no matter what happens, if given the opportunity, they would do what they did again and again and again. And really good narcissists are not going to show their colors super easily to let you know which camp they're in. So I would say one of the wisest things is to and obviously not many of us are going to be in a position of like creating church by laws, but I think it is very important for churches to have smart safeguards in place for not giving one individual carte launch authority and also not giving a board so much authority that like, the pastor says one thing that two of them don't like, and now that pastor's out on the curb, having some kind of balance there, and so much is preventative. It is praying not only for your like for your leader, or for the person who might be who's fall into sin would be the most likely or the most disasters for your congregation, but for the advisors and surrounding that person, because truly they should be the first line of defense. But again it gets very hard because some people are going to pool everybody. And I read a really disturbing fact that I have since gone back and corroborated more than once because I don't want to believe it's true. But of like the top five jobs that a narcissist is most like, a clinical classic narcissist is most drawn too. Clergy is on that list because they are in a position to control and manipulate. And like you said, a lot of people take their guard down more in a church than they would in a business room or something like that. So prayer and grace, but so much diligence. There are some people who I am going to go on record standing shouldn't be reinstated. I don't care how sorry you make me think that you are. At the moment. What's hard is to put on a piece of paper steps to know whether you are under the camp of repentant sinner who should be not immediately reinstated in most cases, ever, is my opinion, but on a path toward reconciliation to your church and potentially to a position of leadership. And again I think that's where an elder board would come in. I don't think that any church should operate without a shared leadership amongst multiple people, so that if the lead pastor falls into sin and it's not so heinous that they immediately just get fired and never come back, that there will be steps to say, okay, for example, like six months, you're welcome to attend and worship with us, but you are not going to speak upfront after that time. If you show us I mean basically like you might do in an intervention, right after that point in time, if you can show us that you have done this, this, and this, then we will invite you to do the opening prayer right and with the goal of continued reinstatements to the point where it is wise. And some of that wisdom is for the protection of the church. Some of that wisdom is for the protection spiritually of the repentant pastor or the repentant sinner, because if they get thrust back into the spotlight too quickly without addressing what led them into sin in the first place. They are such rpe picking for it to happen again. So sadly I don't have a check these three boxes, and then this person gets kicked out and should never preach anymore and check these three boxes, and this person should be on a path toward reinstatement. But I would say, if we're going to air, let's air on the side of being more gracious in our hearts towards somebody, more protective in our actions towards the church. If that makes sense, extend the benefit of the doubt more to the person who sins than you might feel they deserve, but be even more cautious about protecting the safety of the members of your congregation. Right, So, if that means airing on the side of somebody getting their feelings hurt because they're not reinstated as quickly as they want to, but it's the best decision for the safety of the church, to me, that still makes more sense. But I do believe that there's a way to do that while still extending a lot of grace in your heart. And that's where I think a lot of Christians fail, it's got to be one or the other.
Speaker 2: I think you're absolutely right there. I love the way you put that. I think that sums it up perfectly because a pattern I see in several of these prominent church scandals, and I'll just name them. There's Bethel was one of the big ones that had like not just instituttionetional issues, but there were like individuals associated with them who were preying on people in a number of ways, and they were just allowed to run rampant and reinstated. And when they were called out for misbehavior and sin, the people accusing them were being chastised for either causing a man of God to stumble or on the other hand, not be extending enough forgiveness and basically just allowing them to continue to prosper. And I think, did I say Bethel Endhell Song? And then there are the people within, Like the Southern Baptist Convention has been elevated lately, you know, in the last ten years or so, it's been exposed that they've been covering things up, and the you know, every denomination I think has been called out. And I think this idea of let's just the good old boys network let's just let's just pat him on the back and let them keep going while ignoring or shunning or qualifying victims. And then the other side that you have is people who are just going to be casting stones constantly and never giving anyone the opportunity or the option to show repentance and to show that they, you know, can still be used by God, you know, to use their gifts to edify the church body. But what you said, I think two things that are paramount. One, love God with all your heart right and love your neighbor as yourself. So if we do those two things, we are loving the body of Christ enough not to allow them to be put in any danger whatsoever. I'm going to read this. I didn't get to our verse of the day, but I'm going to read it because it's really relevant to what you just said. This is Ezekiel thirty four to two from the NIV, Son of Man prophesy against the shepherds of Israel. Prophesy and say to them, this is what the sovereign Lord says, woe to use shepherds of Israel, who only take care of yourselves. Should not shepherds take care of the So it's loving the body of Christ enough to protect them and shield them from any hint of possibility of being defiled or let astray or hurt. But then on the other hand, that like love of Jesus who ate with the tax collectors and the prostitutes and did not condemn but just loved them and challenged them to live righteous lives, so they can both exist in the same place. It's not not loving someone or not forgiving someone to set boundaries to protect the body of Christ. And if we could learn to do those both well, which is so hard in practice, Yeah, the church would be a lot healthier.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I want to close with a picture of something I saw as an outsider looking in. So I'm sure it was not as simplistic as I'm going to make it. But I was in a community where I went to Church A, and I was aware that at Church B, the pastor had had an affair and the church was really reeling after the fact. And what I saw, again being fairly removed. So this is going to be oversimplified, but what I saw was a church who was heartbroken for themselves, for their pastor, especially for his wife. I saw her like when people would see her at the store. They would go out of their way to give her hugs and be like, how are you doing, how are things going? We are praying for you. Now. Certain personalities that might be worse, but I saw extensions of so much love and appreciation, where so many of our defaults would be to like, oh, I don't want to say anything because this is so awkward. And I saw the pastor being removed from the pulpit, but not from the church, and that is, in my opinion, difficult, beautiful and gracious for everybody involved. For the church and the elders to say, we cannot have you preaching, but we don't want you to leave, and for him to say, this has got to be the most awkward, painful thing in the world. But this is my family and my home. I saw just that quick snapshot. I have no idea how it ended. I have no idea all of the tears and drama that you know went on behind all the closed doors. But I thought that was a beautiful picture and a beautiful testimony, especially for non believers to go and look at. The church was not being naive. They weren't saying, oh, oh, he's fine. He just made this one mistake but they also weren't saying you're not welcome here, and your wife is disgusting because she obviously did something wrong for her husband to have had an affair. You know, I guess our impromptu blessing to close is, may we all find that degree of both grace and wisdom and discernments to be protecting of the flocks that were part of and also to be gracious towards those who are imperfect, which is all of us, and to know how to be so gracious and so protective at the same time while guarding our hearts from cynicism and bitterness. Amen. Amen.
Speaker 2: We'd like to take just a quick second to thank the team at Life Audio for their partnership with us on the podcast. If you go to lifeaudio dot com, you will find dozens of other faith centered podcasts in their network. They've got shows about prayer, Bible study, parenting, and so much more. That's life audio dot Com on