Speaker 1: Today's episode of Timeless Wisdom.
Speaker 2: Why are we made to feel like freaks? If if we need sex?
Speaker 3: I mean, who's making you feel wait? Wait wait wait wait wait.
Speaker 2: That's that's how we feel lot.
Speaker 4: No, no, okay, there are two separate there are three separate issues. But let me tell you who, who, God forbid, is making you feel like a freak?
Speaker 2: Me, my husband.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, that's coming up on Timeless Wisdom with Dennis Prager. Welcome to Timeless Wisdom with Dennis Prager. Here thousands of hours of Dennis's lectures courses in classic radio programs. Had to purchase Dennis Prager's Rational Bibles, go to Dennisprager dot com.
Speaker 3: I'm old fashioned.
Speaker 4: I like two sexes.
Speaker 3: I don't know, I think all of a sudden, I don't.
Speaker 5: Like being married to what is known as a new woman. I want a wife, not a competitor.
Speaker 4: Competitor, competitor, talk about a bit, this crying in the morning thing.
Speaker 6: It's depression, you know, let's get that fixed.
Speaker 7: That's me, isn't it what?
Speaker 4: Unless you've got the answer, let's you can say.
Speaker 7: Oh, I know this bloke in the essex rodical fixer, and there's my point bothering, How.
Speaker 3: Do you write women so well?
Speaker 7: I think of a man and I take away reason and accountability.
Speaker 8: I love him.
Speaker 3: I love him and I don't care what you think.
Speaker 5: I love him for the for the man he wants to be, and I love him for the man that he almost is.
Speaker 3: What do people have rowse about him? Money?
Speaker 4: Sex, sex, money he wants, she doesn't want, she wants, he doesn't want women.
Speaker 1: I've always been a big problem to me.
Speaker 3: Doctor fusspend by listening. Doctor yes, yes, yes, go on, b.
Speaker 4: Hi, everybody, Welcome to the Male Female Hour on the Dennis Brager Show. Every week at this hour, I talk about men and women. I call it the Male Female Hour. I've explained that, and I won't now because I'm getting into a subject that is very delicate, as it often is on this topic. What gives me the courage, and it takes some courage to do this is your reaction. Frankly, your reactions have been so powerful. I will read to you a letter from a woman married fourteen years, and.
Speaker 8: It is.
Speaker 4: The reason for my hesitation is because I have to announce this is not this hour will not be for little kids. I think it is your call on early teenage, mid teenage and older. I think it could be useful. I mean, the kids are not living in submarines these days. But I just need to tell you that if they're under teenage, I don't think that this is for them, so, but it is for you if you have a little kid. So either send the kid out of the room, you know, if you're driving, just drop the kid off somewhere. Come back on the freeway later I'll have the kid. Send the kid to some mall shop. Because I really want you to hear this. All right, listen to this letter here. And I won't even give her first name, nor her husband's name, let alone even the city. All right, but here is a letter that I received very recently. Dear mister Prager, I have been married for fourteen years to my husband. Are okay, and we have two young boys. My husband is listening to your show on a regular basis, and he is quoting you quite often.
Speaker 3: By the way, Well, it doesn't matter.
Speaker 4: I have a feeling that it's a year and woman here, but I'm not certain about it any It doesn't matter really. He has made many attempts for me to listen to your shows, but without success. He recently became more creative and started downloading your podcasts than putting them in my car CD player. That, by the way, is worthy of its own topic. The efforts that this man made to have his wife here this show. And it could go in both directions, by the way, often it's the wife wanting the husband to I am as convinced as one can be that I have a fifty to fifty male female audience. But this man did not give up to his credit for and you will see to his benefit. So first thing, when I start my car, bam, the Happy Hour song came on, and here goes Dennis Prager singing along. I thought of my husband and told myself, okay, honey, you put a smile on my face. That's cute, but I shut it off. I am a bit stubborn, but so is my husband. He then recorded for me the Male Hour. Isn't that funny that she calls it the veil hour?
Speaker 3: It's called the female hour, But that's what that's the part she heard.
Speaker 4: And this time I actually listened to you, mister Prager. And when I heard these women calling and telling how their husbands were pursuing them and never.
Speaker 3: Could get enough of them.
Speaker 4: I was shocked and immediately realized that my husband was not a pervert obsessed with having all with having relations with me. I understood my husband and realized how much he she capitalizes. He loves me and only me, and I immediately felt bad, felt bad for nickolecting my husband, felt bad for thinking that he was only lusting after me, And I started and started telling myself how selfish I have been all these years, how devoted.
Speaker 3: He is to me.
Speaker 4: Every day that goes by, every day he has been telling me he loves me, and how pretty I am and how hot I am. And I always thought that he was saying that because he wanted something from me. How much time have I wasted in my marriage? But now I look at him and I truly feel special. I truly know he loves me and only me, and I love him more and only him. I get it, mister Prager, I get it, and I thank you to opening my eyes to a truly wonderful, loving husband. This for this letter alone, I am beyond happy that I made the male female hour if. But when you multiply this by thousands, two things happen. One, I realize how important it is to talk about these things, as difficult as it might be, and it is difficult. The other thing that I realize is how many millions, millions are suffering needlessly in their marriages. There are two tie I always say this, folks, there are two types of suffering. There is that which exists. There is the built in suffering that is inevitable to life. And there is gratuitous suffering, suffering we create for no good reason. There are millions of couples who have suffering, and there are millions of couples who have gratuitous suffering. There are so many aspects to this letter that I want to concentrate on and talk to you about on this edition of The Male Female Hour. One is the notion my husband's a pervert, my husband is over sex, hyper sex.
Speaker 3: A pervert, whatever it is that you might think.
Speaker 4: The odds are, my friends, the odds are that your husband is in fact not a pervert. Okay, just know that the odds are. What he is is a male. And if he's a male and he's not like you, that doesn't make him a pervert. It makes him a male. That's a Now there are guys who are I don't know if the word pervert even I'm sure there are, but although it's not what the world's easiest term to define one, one person's pervert is another person's adventurous lover. So that's a very very difficult term and not a very useful one, in my opinion, not a very useful one to use. And calling your husband that may not may not, shall we say, lead to a warmer marriage. Now, that's not to say that there are men who ask for things or something else that may be over the top. I'm sure that's true. But the average guy may albay seem like a pervert to the average woman when he is in fact not.
Speaker 3: He's just not you.
Speaker 4: It's almost like the average kid. The average boy probably seems like an incipient, you know, mall shooter when all he's doing is walking around with a gun and the mother is horrified. A toy gun, not a real gun. The average mother is horrified, Oh my god, my boy's walking around with his toy gun.
Speaker 3: He makes everything into a gun. Is he going to kill people? No, he's not. He's a boy. Boys like to shoot guns.
Speaker 4: One of the most important things is for each sex to know that they are not the other sex, but it's particularly important. I think men are far more aware that women are not they and do not have to be them than women are vice versa. We are not We are not hairy females, and we shouldn't be made into it, and we men should not allow you to make us into it. That's that's another issue. So number one, the number one point of this letter and why it was so touching, touching to me because now she realizes how much her husband loves her, he wanted relations more than she did.
Speaker 3: What a shock? What a shock?
Speaker 4: I mean, God, is that is this the only marriage that this happens to? I mean, obviously it happens so often, and she just thinking, Ah, this guy is the lust.
Speaker 3: Machine, and then so on. Then she will wait a minute, he wants me, he wants me.
Speaker 4: That that's beautiful, that's beautiful, it's not sick, it's not perverted. Now does that mean that there can't be limits or should be limits all right? Or we don't take both sexes into account? One eight Praguer seven seven six. I'll tell you more reasons why this is such an important letter, and I'll take your calls.
Speaker 6: This episode of timeless Wisdom will continue right after this. Now back to more of Dennis Prager's timeless wisdom.
Speaker 4: Hi, everybody, you're listening to the Dennis Praguer Show, The Male Female Hour. I didn't give you the number one eight Praguer seven seven six. I fully acknowledge that the intent of this hour is to help the sexes understand each other and ideally help your marriages. I can't do that, and nobody can do that if we don't address real issues between men and women.
Speaker 3: Sex is one of them. This is not an hour for.
Speaker 4: Your kids under the under teenage years. I announced that at the outset, and I'm reminding you in case you didn't hear it then or well, actually, I can't remind you if you didn't hear it then, I see. I'm very precise, so much so I drive myself nuts sometimes. I am telling you for the first time, if you didn't hear it, then, I'm reminding you if you did hear it then and didn't.
Speaker 3: Act on it.
Speaker 6: Oh.
Speaker 4: I have a number of letters with the exact same point I read to you one. I'll read to you just an excerpt from this one. Let's see here and appreciate the difference between what a difference. You have relieved my mind thinking my husband was a pervert all those early years of my marriage.
Speaker 3: I love him more.
Speaker 4: Thanks. And this is another wife. Do you think your husband's a pervert? Now here's the problem with doing this on the radio. I can't you can't spell out specific desires that he might have because it is.
Speaker 3: Still public radio.
Speaker 4: I don't mean you know public NPR, but it is still public radio, and it is still family radio. Nevertheless, but I do want you to address this issue in your mind, or address it with me a man man and not a woman. And this letter was so powerful to me, the one that I had originally read to you, and how bad she now feels thinking this way about him. Let's take some calls here and we begin with the Los Angeles and Linda. Linda, Dennis Prager, thank you for calling.
Speaker 9: Good morning, Dennis.
Speaker 2: Hi.
Speaker 7: I just.
Speaker 9: Want to say that I hope a lot of women don't make the same mistake I did. I was married for thirty years and then I lost my husband to cancer. In the last few years, I didn't give in to him. And I know now after listening to you and doctor Laura, because she says the same thing. That's right, that they love us and they're so simple, and I'm so sad.
Speaker 4: Go on, eat through your tears, and I'm keeping you on because your message is so important.
Speaker 9: He was a wonderful man and he wasn't a pervert at all.
Speaker 7: He was gentle and kind and I was selfish. Oh please, ladies, let him love you and love him back.
Speaker 3: God bless you. You see. I do want you to know this in some way. What you can't do now for him, you are doing for others, and that that is so important. You're turning a mistake. It was, and it was a mistake.
Speaker 4: You you didn't have ill intent, but you're turning into a mistake into a blessing for others. I think it was one of the very first male female hours when I did this cover the subject that for the vast majority of men, no matter how much you are kind and loving and what a wonderful wife and mom and whatever else you are, if if you don't give him sex, he doesn't know you love him. You can call it simplistic. You can call it animalistic, you can call it male, you can call it anything you want. It's either true or not true. You can add your editorial comments all you like in your mind or with your girlfriends.
Speaker 3: The question is not to editorialize on what I just said.
Speaker 4: It's to it's to confront whether or not it is true. That is the is the single biggest way he knows you love him. You have ways in which he can show he loves you, and that's not one of them, by and large, as it happens, it's It may be on the list, but it's not top. It's not on the top of the list for the vast majority of women.
Speaker 3: For some women, it is.
Speaker 4: I can only talk in broad generalities. I can't talk about every human being under the sun. And these letters and and the call you just heard, and I am sure the marriages that are lost because of this.
Speaker 2: Is uh.
Speaker 3: Is just this is what I called the gratuitous pain of life.
Speaker 4: And let's go to National Park, New Jersey and John, the phone number here is one eighth Pregger seven seven six.
Speaker 3: Hello John, Dennis Prager, Hi Dennis.
Speaker 8: Thanks for taking my call.
Speaker 3: Thank you.
Speaker 5: I think I was listening to the letter that the woman wrote to you, and it really sounded good. When I was a boy, when I was coming of age, my dad was not around, so my mom gave me the father and son talking, and I think it was an advantage for me because I got it from a woman's point of view. I remember her saying that there were times when her and my dad would have sex and afterwards he would roll over and go to sleep. And ever since then, that's always stayed in my mind that one of my goals when I'm with a woman is to please her. A lot of women have commented on that. One in particular, it said that she liked the way that I kept kissing and touching her even after or I was done, And I said there were uh, well, some men like to roll over and go to sleep, and she said, yeah, like my ex husband.
Speaker 3: Well, by the way, that's a very very valid point, very very valid. Men.
Speaker 4: Uh, this is not exactly asking you to swim the English channel. To continue to embrace and and and speak lovingly and for God's sake, stay awake. I don't think that that is too too grated. The bad on you guys. Once once your wife has has been that giving even though she's not in the mood. And what did they assess recently that a woman is in the mood? What eight hours a month or something? Just absolutely spontaneously aching for relations. I mean depending on age, obviously, some some you know a great deal of time obviously, but we're talking in the broad, the broad spectrum of men and women. So yes, that would be a great example of how you reciprocate for what is meaningful to her.
Speaker 3: What the key in life and in marriage.
Speaker 4: Is you do for the other what the other considers important when when possible, obviously, and mood can't be the issue.
Speaker 3: No, I don't know.
Speaker 4: Woman who says I'm not in the mood to get up the baby is crying will be what if your husband is crying? This is the Dennis Prager Show.
Speaker 6: This episode of Timeless Wisdom will continue right after this. Now back to more of Dennis Prager's timeless wisdom.
Speaker 4: Hi, everybody, this is the Male Female Hour on the Dennis Prager Show. I read to you, and I'll reread a bit of it here a letter, and I have two letters using the exact same word. Women who thought their husbands were perverts because of the frequency that they would.
Speaker 3: Want or whatever.
Speaker 4: And the odds are, folks, that you're not married to a pervert. Okay, the odds are, and you're married to a male I've been married to my husband fourteen years, two young sons. And she explained how she he has been working to get her to listen to the show. He would even put it on so that when she turned on the podcast to turn on her car CD player up.
Speaker 3: I would come anyway.
Speaker 4: She finally started listening, and she said, let's see, I actually listened to you. And when I heard these women calling and telling you how their husbands were pursuing them and could never get enough of them, I was shocked and immediately realized that my husband was not a pervert obsessed with having sex with me. I understood my husband and realized how much he loves me and only me. I immediately felt bad, felt bad from neglecting my husband, felt bad for thinking he was only lusting after me. And by the way, I hope that your husbands do, my dear female listeners. And I started telling myself how selfish I have been all these years, how devoted he is to me every day that goes by, and that he's not a pervert, and so on. It's likewise another letter that I'm read to you. You have relieved my mind thinking my husband was a pervert all those early years of marriage. I love him more than you heard. This woman who just called now in tears. Her husband died a few years ago and she neglected him in that arena for some years and was just in tears of guilt of cancer. There's nothing that can be done. And my heart goes out to her, goes out to him for that time. Let's go to some more of your calls. By the way, I think all of you know this, but for those of you who might be brand new to the show, I'm not taking sides. My only side is that you have a better marriage. That's all that's my That's the side I care about. But that may involve understanding him better. And that's why I'm mentioning these things when I do.
Speaker 3: All right e.
Speaker 4: Jennifer in Manhattan Beach, California, Jennifer, Dennis Praeger, thanks for calling, Thanks for.
Speaker 7: Taking my call. I'm calling because you are right that for men, sex is a way of saying.
Speaker 3: I love you.
Speaker 4: And with that no, ironically, it isn't okay no, no, no. Sex is a way of them being told by you you love them.
Speaker 7: That's what I meant.
Speaker 3: I'm sorry, okay no, But it's an important distinction.
Speaker 7: Yes, right, okay, so you know we can say it to him all we want, it won't work. The only problem is, several years ago I started realizing that, Okay, if I don't feel like it's so what right, Okay, the happier camper. It's great in that respect, but outside of sex, now he's almost forgotten I'm a woman. It's like i'm a woman.
Speaker 3: I'm like a paral that goes to bed and all right, explain that even further.
Speaker 7: Well, for example, I mean, women liked to know that we're being thought about, that they're taking the trouble to do something that would please us. I mean, I don't even remember the last time that he say, grabbed me and gave me a hug, or I don't know, took me out to dinner of his own volition.
Speaker 3: Have you told him this?
Speaker 7: Yeah, I mean he says that he doesn't need to, and then you know he.
Speaker 3: Doesn't need to.
Speaker 4: Well well wait, see here's the deal, and I would like him to be told this, and I'd be happy to tell him this. If you feel you don't need to do what she wants, then she'll feel she doesn't need to do what you want.
Speaker 7: And that's about where I've arrived.
Speaker 4: Well, I'll tell him, No, I think you should play this for him. What kind of nonsense is that?
Speaker 7: I don't know.
Speaker 4: It doesn't it doesn't make any sense. He doesn't need to well then you, well you don't. You don't need to have sex that often. I mean, if if one wants to play the game of I don't need to you. I mean, he may not need to do every I don't know your your your demands from what you listed to me, and I'd love to hear his side, obviously always in any of these cases. But what you listed do does do not sound like particularly a difficult demands that you're making on him. No hug you periodically? Does he call you from work? No, guys call your wives from work every day, even if you're if you're you're playing poker at the same time, just say hello back in a moment.
Speaker 6: This episode of timeless Wisdom will continue. Evidence now back to more of Dennis Prager's timeless wisdom.
Speaker 4: Yes, indeed, Dennis Prager here, Hi everybody, and Jennifer my last caller. I would love to talk to your husband. I would I would really like that. I would have of course, he never hears my show. I don't know what cloud I would have, but nevertheless I would like to have won eighth Praguer seven seven six, one eighth p r A g e Er seven seven six. Very important that people hear from you on this, as difficult as it might be, and I still appreciate the first a woman caller who in tears, spoke about how she had neglected her husband in this arena. She's sixty now and during their fifties, and he died of cancer. But she did a service her tears. I want to thank you again. It's a hard call, but it's important. You are letters and your calls give the points that I make credibility. And if you don't agree with me, that's fine too. I think those two give the points for credibility because they'll respond. Eight seven seven two four three triple seven six is the number. Eight seven seven two four three triple seven six. I read to you two letters where women used the same word. I used to think my husband was a pervert, and I realized he's just a guy. He's the male and I love him now all the more and we have a better marriage.
Speaker 3: And so on. This notion of your husband being a pervert.
Speaker 4: And uh, you know, I'll even add it to another area which is extremely controversial because of its emotionality. And I understand that, but I want to help you. It's the only reason. There are many reasons to oppose this, the pornification of this society. It's been a disaster, there's no question it's been. It's been particularly terrible for kids. But if your husband has looked at pictures, it does not make him a pervert. That doesn't mean that it's a good thing. That's a separate issue. And for religious people in particular, there are other there are a whole host of issues. But he's not a pervert, and it just makes things worse if you walk around calling him that. He may have real issues. That's a separate issue. But but cirta, the letters weren't even written about that. The letters were written about the frequency that he wanted. He must be a pervert or he just lusts after me. You should you should thank God if he lusts after you. Now, the last caller claims that's all he does, and you know, I mean doesn't show affection in ways that are meaningful to her as a woman.
Speaker 3: That's an issue that is an issue.
Speaker 4: All right, let's go to Philadelphia, Pennsylvania and Kathy. Hello, Kathy, Dennis Prager.
Speaker 2: Hi Dennis, Hi you. I'm well, thank you been a long time listener. This is my first time calling, and I'm calling because I am so worked up about the subject matter today, and I just want to let you know that you are doing women a grave. You're not doing us any favors by stressing how much men need sex and acting like it's not really as important to us as it is to them. There are so many women who need sex just as much, if not more than men. And why are we made to feel like freaks? If if we need sex, I mean making you.
Speaker 3: Feel wait wait wait wait.
Speaker 2: Wait wait that's how we feel loved.
Speaker 4: No, no, okay, there are two separate there are three separate issues. But let me tell you who, who, God forbid, is making you feel like a freak?
Speaker 2: Me? My husband? Oh okay, because he doesn't need it, he doesn't care. I could go for seven months without it, it doesn't matter.
Speaker 3: I think it's terrible. No, it's terrible. It's a terrible problem. I I my heart breaks for you.
Speaker 4: What I as I said about at least twice today, and always say I'm generalizing because in general the problem works in that direction, that that what you have exists. I know for a fact, and my heart breaks for you. In general, it's the it's the the problem is the other way around. Yes, I'm sure because every I'm sure on every level, including all that I have read, including all the people who have written to me, including all the couples who have written.
Speaker 3: But you see it doesn't matter.
Speaker 4: See for Kathy's marriage, it's irrelevant that it's a minority of couple's issue.
Speaker 3: It's still a huge issue.
Speaker 4: It's like saying, Kathy, if I say, seat belts save lives, and we know for a fact, we do know for a fact that there were people who were killed because they wore a seat belt because the car went on fire, they couldn't get the clicker on and they burned to death. So for that person, the fact that seat belts tend to save lives was utterly irrelevant. For that person, the seat belt killed them. The fact that for most couples where there is a sexual issue, it's that he wants more than she does is is a fact, But that doesn't help the many couples wherein they have your issue, and you get my one hundred percent sympathy as much as a man does. But it doesn't negate the fact that most of the time the problem is in the other direction. You need counseling. He needs to acknowledge it. It's but it's unfortunate though. It's harder to solve your problem because when the woman is not in the mood, she could still just be there as it were. But a man, a man has to react and and so it's it's harder. And when he feels pressure, it's even harder. So it's a it's a terrible quicksand in a relationship when it is the man who has the lesser dry for the woman. But it is something you go to what you go to a good therapist, you go to a sex therapist. You find out.
Speaker 3: But I mean, he can't give you this lining app may I ask the frequency.
Speaker 2: I can tell you the less time we were together with Maytean. I'm twenty five years old. My husband's only two years older than me, so I don't think we're getting to that age.
Speaker 4: No, no, no, anyway that there is no age cut off, so to speak. That's not agree And I agree with you about you you're young, relatively young. Well, I would love to speak to him. Does he ever listen to me?
Speaker 2: He's listening right now.
Speaker 4: Oh then then why doesn't he call in? I'll take him as my next call. We'll be back in a moment. Hi, everybody, Dennis Prager here, and in the time remaining, let me get a few words in with Cathy's husband, Hire Paul.
Speaker 3: Dennis Prager here.
Speaker 1: Hi.
Speaker 3: Hi, Okay. I don't want to put you.
Speaker 4: On the spot, and I'm not here at all to in any way be your accuser or anything like that. I just I know you heard the call I had with your wife, and would you like to just make any comments.
Speaker 8: I just don't need it as much as she does. I run a business, and I know I have a lot on my mind and it's really a pressure for her and she needs to need to have it. But I feel that with everything, with my responsibilities I have, and that we've been married over twenty five years, it's not that I don't love her. It's just that I take things I guess before her, and I probably really shouldn't, but I do.
Speaker 3: What things do you take before her?
Speaker 8: Like the business and working trying to make sure I can support her. My daughter's in college in California. Just different things like that just seem to be more I guess important than that is to than it is to her.
Speaker 3: Mm hmm.
Speaker 4: If ideally for you, what would the wh would be, generally speaking, the frequency that you would make love.
Speaker 3: Now? Yeah, once once in two months, once and twice a year every night?
Speaker 8: Well, probably once or twice a month maybe m hm.
Speaker 3: Okay, And uh, what was the frequency five years ago?
Speaker 8: Probably a lot more, and she just gradually dropped.
Speaker 4: To what it is now, okay, knowing how important it is to her, which is somewhat of a credit to you, because you're you know, when a guy is found desirable by a woman, we feel great. Is there anything you think you could do knowing that it's important, let's say it, we're up to let's say once every ten days. Is that handleable?
Speaker 3: Yes? Yes, why don't you try for that now?
Speaker 8: All right?
Speaker 3: Okay? And by the way, and if.
Speaker 4: There are things that she could do that you feel a little funny about saying, you know, maybe wear something very sexy, you know, in the bedroom or something, you should let her know. Twenty five years is a long time, but you know, guys, have fantasies. Why don't you tell her some of your fantasies. All right, Okay, okay, thank you so much for sharing that. I know it's not easy. I tell you, folks, I divide pain between the necessary and the gratuitous, and we.
Speaker 3: Should try to minimize the unnecessary pain.
Speaker 4: So Cathy, let me hear from you in an email in a couple of months, and upping that frequency to that might really be a help. Good luck. Thanks for calling. It's the Male Female Hour on the Dennis Prager.
Speaker 1: Show Tomorrow Untimeless Wisdom with Dennis Prager.
Speaker 4: Ken a sophisticated modern, contemporary intellectual, rational, moral person, believe in Hell.
Speaker 1: Join us tomorrow to hear more on Timeless Wisdom with Dennis Pragger. This has been Timeless Wisdom with Dennis Prager. Visit Dennispragger dot com for thousands of hours if Dennis's lectures, courses in classic radio programs, and to purchase Dennis Prager's Rational Bibles.
Speaker 8: M