Speaker 1: Life Audio Dennis Nis Dennis Prager.
Speaker 2: Do you have a question you've always wanted to ask Dennis Prager. Well, now it's your opportunity for upcoming Ask Me Anything episodes of Timeless Wisdom with Dennis Prager. We're inviting you to leave Dennis a voicemail. He'll personally answer selected questions, and your question could be featured on a future episode, whether it's about faith, morality, politics, history, relationships, happiness, for simply navigating life, Dennis would love to hear from you. Just call eight seven seven two four three seven seven seven six and leave your question. Oh and be sure to include your first name and where you're calling from. That's eight seven seven two four three seventy seven seventy six. While we can't feature every question, Dennis will listen to every voicemail. So call today you may hear Dennis Prager answering your question on an upcoming episode of Timeless Wisdom with Dennis Prager. And thanks for listening and supporting Dennis Today's episode of Timeless Wisdom II.
Speaker 3: It's great to thank you. I was wondering if if you have any magic answer to where the line lies between forgiveness and betrayal.
Speaker 4: What is the stupidest thing that you've ever done in your whole life?
Speaker 5: What do you think of adults adopted children trying to find their birth parents?
Speaker 1: Hi, I'm getting married tomorrow and congratulations, congratulations.
Speaker 6: I was wondering what your single greatest piece of advice would be. Maybe the least cliche.
Speaker 7: I'm getting a lot of cliches.
Speaker 1: One of the cliches. What cliches are you getting?
Speaker 6: Don't go to bed angry?
Speaker 8: And you know.
Speaker 1: That's a good one. By the way, you should know most cliches are true. That's why they became cliches.
Speaker 9: I just wonder if you're joking when you always say, oh, ask me anything you want meeting in life, and I was thinking, know what I'm asking him sometime?
Speaker 7: What is it?
Speaker 1: You're right? I was joking?
Speaker 9: Were you really?
Speaker 10: Don't tell me that?
Speaker 9: Don't drive me crazy?
Speaker 1: I just want them to hear you reach Oh.
Speaker 9: My gosh, driving crazy because I'm hanging on it.
Speaker 2: That's coming off on Timeless Wisdom with Dennis Prager. Welcome to Timeless Wisdom with Dennis Prager. Here thousands of hours of Dennis's lectures, courses in classic radio programs, and to purchase Dennis Prager's Rational Bibles, go to Dennisprager dot com.
Speaker 1: Anything that's on your mind, whatever you'd like to ask me from the proverbial, what is my favorite tobacco pipe or a cigar? That is to the meaning of life? Whatever it is on your mind. Did you hear something that you would like to comment on. Did you have something that you're wondering about in your own life or about me, or what have you. This is the time to do it. I set the agenda the other fourteen hours of the week you do on this one. Welcome, indeed to the Dennis Prager Show, and let us go to Westborough, Massachusetts, and we begin with Michael. Hello Michael, Dennis.
Speaker 4: Prager, Hello, Dennis, how are you doing.
Speaker 1: I'm wealth Thank you.
Speaker 4: I got a question for you. Yeah, what is and you've had a longer life, what is the stupidest thing that you've ever done in your whole life?
Speaker 1: There are so many contenders for that title that I can't really I will isolate some, but I must tell you that I can give you. It's terrible how many things come to mind. It's not like I can't think of Eddie. It's I can't know which one to select, but I'll give you one funny one. This was truly stupid. I was. I was in my twenties, and it was my twenties were a huge traveling time. Every year I went to another part of the world. And I remember my first trip to Hungary. And I went from Vienna to Budapest, and I went on a hydrofoil on the Danube River. And these are very fast little boats. And I got on the boat and I think it's an hour and a half. I don't remember how long it is, two hours, I don't know, uh, and somebody will know, and you know, tell me. And I got on needing to go to the bathroom, and I figured, no problem, I'll just go on on board. But for whatever reason it was, it was one of these fast and quick trips. They didn't have any laboratories. Now can you imagine speeding along on the water for an hour and a half while you already have to go to the bathroom? Deep all, yes, so you can only imagine. I arrived in Budapest bent over practically. Now. Unfortunately, it was then a communist country and customs took a while. You know, make sure you're not bringing in Western and Western propaganda and checking out for for everything else, and your visa because you always needed a visa for communist countries. So now remember there's not an airport. This is a a river port, a river entrance. Finally I get through communist customs and I am really, I am really in pain, needing to get to a bathroom. I walk outside. It's a street, a major thoroughfare, and to my great relief, I see a sign over a little building says WC. WC is right, water closet is international, and I think, thank god, you don't have to know Hungarian. WC is international. Huh, I'm you know, I'm like a man just you know, finding water who's been in a desert. Then I see two doors and one says knock and the other says furfiac. And I think, I think this is ridiculous. I mean, they have to have like an international symbol or you know, an umbrella and a skirt or pants and a skirt something, nothing, just knock and furfiac. Well, how the hell do I know if I'm a knock or a furfiac. And meanwhile I'm in real pain. And then I did you now asked, how does this come to the stupidest thing I ever did. It would not have been stupid to just flip a coin and walk into one, okay, would not have been stupid, or to watch if anybody walked in, obviously, but nobody did. I stood in the middle of this thoroughfare and I stopped Hungarians walking by, and I looked at them, and I looked, and I pointed to myself and the sign, and I said, knock firfiac. So I stood in the middle of buddhapest asking passers by if I was a man or a woman, And of course they all mumbled something like, you know, this man has escaped an asylum. I can you know how? I mean, what would you say if somebody stopped you man, woman? You would think that they were they were very seriously disturbed. That is one of the funny stupider things. On a more serious level, I would be financially secure if when I moved to California, I had bought anything anything. When I moved to California in nineteen seventies, if I'd have bought I moved to Simi Valley, California, if I had bought a hut, a hut you hear me an outhouse. If I had bought a toilet, I would I would have been financially secure today.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I wouldn't consider that necessarily stupid.
Speaker 1: Oh it was stupid because I was told Dennis, this is a great time. You're going to see the city's going to develop. When I lived in Simi Valley, it had one restaurant. One. But as I've often said, when God gave out abilities, when he gave out financial ability, I was in the men's room. I was in the furfiac room. Wait, wait, am I an knocker furfiac?
Speaker 4: I wouldn't be too hard on you get hot tis all the time and hot tips.
Speaker 1: That was common sense. That wasn't like, oh you got to get you know, generic brand a you know multi vitamin thing. All right? Anyway, I have many more, unfortunately, but thank you is a fun question. You too, appreciate it very much. Anyway. It turns out, by the way, that knuck is woman and firfiak is male. And I did walk into NUK because I thought furfiac sounded like female. And then some woman started yelling at me and Hungarian. That was the That was the end of that story. Hungarian is is unfortunately has nothing in common with English. The only language that has anything in common with is Finnish, which I know nothing of either. All alrighty, and let's go. Oh this is very apropos. I hope my son will hear this question. This is very good. Tyler in Pasadena, California that it's Praeger High. Hello Tyler. Yes, how are you eleven years old?
Speaker 11: Yes?
Speaker 1: Great to hear from you. Thanks for calling. Well what's on your mind?
Speaker 12: Well, I was just wondering because my mom, because we went out and I wanted some shirts like a scarface or tupac and dog tags and saggy pants, right, but my mom doesn't want me to dress like that, and I wanted to hear your opinion.
Speaker 1: Well, I'm glad you wanted to hear my opinion. And let me tell you, I would not always agree with a parent. Please know that just because I'm a parent doesn't mean i'll always agree. But in this case, your mom is doing you one of the great favors that she could ever do for you. Because people judge you by the way you dress.
Speaker 12: That's what they're trying to tell me that, But.
Speaker 1: That's the truth because that's the only thing that we know about a person when we meet them. We know nothing about a person except their clothing because that's all we see. So it's a huge sign. If you wear that sort of thing, it's like wearing a big sign. Hi, I'm a jerk. Okay, makes sense? Yes, all right, thank you for calling. Thank you, ah, thank you so much. Look, the very fact that the kid wanted my opinion is read. It's like mind blowing. But that's the truth. People have to know that that your clothing is like wearing a sign. Hello, I'm a good guy. Hello, I'm a jerk. Hello, I'm a dummy. Hello, I'm smart. That it's it's exactly like doing that. That is the That is how powerful clothing is. And West Valley City, Utah. And Heather, Hello, Heather, Dennis Prager. I'm well neat.
Speaker 5: Hey.
Speaker 9: I'm just wondering if you're joking when you always say, oh, ask me anything you want meeting your life, and I always think you know what I'm asking him.
Speaker 1: Sometime You're right, I was joking.
Speaker 9: Were you really?
Speaker 7: Don't tell me?
Speaker 9: That drive me crazy?
Speaker 1: I just wanted to hear you reading.
Speaker 9: Oh my gosh, it was driving me crazy because I'm hanging on it.
Speaker 1: There is no answer to the question what is the meaning of life? Because there are only because there are many meanings to life there and you're you, you will have a meaning. But in the overall sense there is. This is what I can say to you in a nutshell. Okay, there is only meaning to life. I don't mean to one individual's existence. One gets meaning from being a parent, from being a spouse, from being a friend, from being a business person, from reading books. There are thousands of things that give anybody meaning, but objectively about life in general, not about one's individual own life. And subjectively there is only meaning in life if if life has meaning, and life only has meaning, if there is a God that made life, If life came about only on its own and is a fluke, a fluke has no means. Go to a micro subject here, Seal Beach, California, Joanne, Hello, Joeanne. Dennis Prager, Hi.
Speaker 13: Dennis, I enjoy your show every day.
Speaker 1: Good thank you.
Speaker 13: I have become aware that as a single, well as a divorced mother of two wonderful children who are adults with beautiful children, I miss their company, my adult children, because whenever we get together. It's always with the grandkids.
Speaker 10: Seven two and a half in five months, and we're focused on them. They're distracting. And this birthday, which is coming up, I would like to go out to a nice dinner with them without the children. And I'm feeling guilty about bringing this.
Speaker 1: No, don't feel it at all. I mean, this is not a routine request. It's not a routine birthday. You want to enjoy your kid. They could get a babysitter. We'll be back in a moment.
Speaker 2: This episode of Timeless Wisdom will continue right after this. Now back to more of Dennis Prager's timeless wisdom.
Speaker 1: All right, everybody, the phone number is one eighth Praguer seven seven six, one eighth p R A G e R seven seven six. And this is the hour where anything is on your mind. And I just want to repeat to Joanne who called in she would like to celebrate her a big upcoming birthday or sixtieth with her kids without the grandkids present. I think it's a fair it's a fair request. Absolutely in any event, parents cannot allow. And I am very, very very preoccupied with my kids and always have been. Nevertheless, you have to have a life as well. It's good. It's not even good for your kids not to have that, and and to honor your your mom on her sixtieth with a dinner together with her the way that she would like it. My god, I Joanne, is it clear what side I'm on? All Right, she's gone, Okay, anyway, I hope you heard that, Joanne. Let's go to some more of your calls. Here one Ad Prager seven seven six, and we go to North Hollywood to California and David, Hello, David, Dennis Prager.
Speaker 7: Hi, Dennis. First of all, I just want to say this isn't a cry for help, but I have a conserative Catholic friend and we were talking and he's telling me that he believed the Catholic position on suicide is that it's a mortal sin, and I'm never quite sure. I was never quite sure because he asked me what the Jewish position on suicide was.
Speaker 1: The well, Judaism regards it as a sin. The concept of mortal sin is a Catholic one, but it is a big sin. Your life is no more yours to take than somebody else's. However, morally speaking, they're not identical acts. Taking the life of another is certainly worse than taking your own life, and circumstances will help determine it. Though there is a rabbinic phrase that no one takes his own life unless the Hebrew is a ruach stutt a, a spirit of craziness, of madness has entered him. That it's it's nobody normal does it. And so there is a you know you temper the moral angst about it versus the belief that something has happened at that moment to pervert the person's mind. But it is. It is a sin, that's absolutely you're absolutely right. Well, I don't know, I'm right. You didn't you didn't make a statement, you asked a question. But yes, there it is a sin. There used to be a time, in fact, the community regarded as so sinful that a Jewish suicide was not buried in the same cemetery as other Jews. That has that has changed because of this, the general notion that something psychological has snapped had snapped in that person. But the interesting thing is Judaism is so life centered that it's pretty rare.
Speaker 7: Well maybe that's why everybody seems to know what the Catholic position is. But the Jewish position.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it talked about that's right. Yeah, that's a good point. Thank you for your call you. I appreciate it very much. Alan and Alan in Dallas, Hello Alan, Dennis Prager.
Speaker 5: High Hello Dennis. It's a pleasure to talk to you.
Speaker 1: Hi. Thank you.
Speaker 5: I just want you to know I value your opinion very greatly.
Speaker 1: Thank you.
Speaker 5: The question I had is what do you think of adult adopted children trying to find their birth parents.
Speaker 1: Well, if it's just curiosity, I don't have an issue with it. But I don't know what you gain other than answering curiosity, because unless you feel alienated from your parents, do you.
Speaker 5: No, I've had a good of course I was adopted, but I've had a very good life.
Speaker 1: I've been so what so what so? What is animating you?
Speaker 11: Really?
Speaker 5: I don't know. I think it's more just curiosity than anything else. I think it's you know, do I resemble my birth my birth parents?
Speaker 1: Because I really did you? Did you? Did you ever see a picture of of them?
Speaker 13: No?
Speaker 5: Actually, my mother was the nurse, one of the nurses that was at the hospital where I was born.
Speaker 1: And do you know how many kids who were biological kids have no? Do not look at all like their parents. No, Oh, okay, you see this is the fantasy that a lot of people have about about others. It's a very common thing. It's a very normal thing. Uh. We Alan, and I am speaking of the we of Alan. Here we we are. We know a couple and they have two daughters who do not look like they are really in the same race. Uh and they let alone look like the parents. So and I've always found that fascinating. This is only subjective. And I'm so touched that you call Alan. I have never found it important or even interesting whether or not kids look like a parent or look like a sibling. I remember as a kid I would always be told, oh, you look like your mother, And then just as often, somebody'd say, you look just like your father. Well, I can't look like my mother and my father. They look very different. Do you know how psychological it is? Anyway, when kids see a baby, oh, looks just like mom. I would bet anything that if there were ten babies of the same race lined up, people would would have no clue as to whose kid was Who's in the vast majority of cases, So, Alan, you know, send me an email. I'd be very curious to know about this. I most of the time people might be looking for something that is not significant. I mean, I'm not discouraging you from doing it, but it's it's not important. That's the way I guess the best way I could put it. I thank you for asking, my friend. I appreciate it, and I would like to hear from you. And we go to Mike in La Crasena, California. Dennis Prager Here, Hi, Mike.
Speaker 11: I have always loved the show, but I love the clarity issues. Uh you you you're articulate, but you do a thing that annoys me, and I want to know why.
Speaker 1: I'm always open to why I annoy people?
Speaker 11: Go ahead, Why do you take so long to start talking after the music starts?
Speaker 1: Well, it depends. It's a very good question. Actually, thank you, You're welcome.
Speaker 11: I like to make I like to hear you giggle too.
Speaker 1: Oh that's nice. I like to hear me giggle too. I actually think I think that every giggles adds two minutes to your life. That's my theory. Good anyway, here is the story. First of Well, if you I would like you, here's an assignment, and I mean it. If you're up to doing it. I'm just do it for one week, or even for that matter, do it for one show for the three hours. And you see how long you hear music before I come in. And I think you will find that it differs very much on any given break.
Speaker 11: Yes, it does.
Speaker 1: Exactly now here. So here are the reasons. One, there are times when I simply like hearing the music. It just it just calms me and I enjoy it all right. That so that will but even more often it will be because I am reading something that has just come over the over the wire, as they say, and I want to bring it to your attention because I'm bringing you stuff. Alan is in constantly giving me stuff that has just appeared on the internet, and so I am trying to bring that to your attention as well as stuff that I have ready for the show prior to the show.
Speaker 11: And it's not that I dislike the music either, Yeah.
Speaker 1: I understand that.
Speaker 11: That's why I want to hear the stuff.
Speaker 1: I understand. There is one other possibility, and that is the least frequent, and that is I am just tuned out. That is, there's nothing as disarming as hodesty, is there.
Speaker 11: No, that's that's the perfect that one. I believe that.
Speaker 1: One you believe, Yeah, but that that happens to be the least common. Thank you very much. It really just might happen, and I will get a little hidden from Sean. Dennis. You speak now, or you are doing a radio show. Your livelihood depends upon your speaking at this time. Alrighty, let's continue here, you folks. Crack me up anything you want, My friends, it could be as heavy or as non heavy as the last one.
Speaker 2: Are you enjoying timeless wisdom? We'd love to hear from you. Call eight seven seven two four three seventy seven seventy six and leave a review, share your thoughts, or just even an encouraging word for Dennis. Your voicemail might just make it on the show. That's eight seven seven two four three seventy seven seventy six. That's eight seven seven two four three triple seven six. Thanks for listening and for your support.
Speaker 1: We go to Shoreview, Minnesota and Joe, Hello Joe Dennis Prager.
Speaker 6: Hi, Dennis, Hi, Hi, I'm getting married tomorrow.
Speaker 1: And congratulations, congratulations, Thank you.
Speaker 6: I was wondering what your single greatest piece of advice would be. Maybe the least cliche I'm getting a lot of cliches.
Speaker 1: One of the cliche, what cliches are you getting?
Speaker 6: Don't go to bed angry?
Speaker 1: And you know that's a good one. By the way, you should know most cliches are true. That's why they became cliches, right, And.
Speaker 6: I think they have a lot of value.
Speaker 8: Yeah, yeah, But I was.
Speaker 6: Wondering if you had a unique piece of advice.
Speaker 1: Hmm, you know, wow, I'm stumped. One unique piece of advice. While you're laughing, Alan Alan is cracking up. I think he likes when I'm stumped. It like makes his day. It's lousy for the show, but it's somehow Alan Alan is having the time of his life. Let me think about that. Let's see a piece of advice. I have so many pieces of advice. I'm trying to isolate one here. Oh you know what. Here it is. I'll tell you one. One piece of advice that I would give is that almost everything is endurable so long as the two of you respect each other. The respect is probably the single most important quality for the durability of a marriage.
Speaker 6: How would you define respect?
Speaker 1: Well, when here, I'll put it in the negative. It is Doctor John Gottman is the I do believe is the finest expert on marriage and marital failure in America. He can predict to a staggeringly accurate percentage after watching a couple for five minutes, he predicts whether they will divorce or not. And the thing that the single most glaring guaranteur of a failed marriage is if one spouse develops contempt for the other. And we go to Long Beach, California and Naomi, is it? Do you say Naomi or Naomi?
Speaker 14: Sami?
Speaker 1: See? I knew to ask?
Speaker 14: I knew, Yeah, my name is of Japanese origin.
Speaker 1: Okay, Naomi, take it away. I was.
Speaker 14: My dad has been listening to you for years, and he started listening to you with Religion on the Line. I was wondering, why did that go off the air and is there any other show out there.
Speaker 1: That's like for those Let me explain. Let me explain, explain your question to the to the larger audience around the country. I began radio on a radio in Los Angeles in nineteen eighty two as the host of an extremely popular show. I'm inordinately popular in southern California, and I was the host of it. It was called Religion on the line and had a priest rabbi minister different ones each week and I would moderate and I did it exactly ten years, and then they persuaded me. I loved it so much, and I love doing weekend night radio so much because it just kept me free during the week. I said no over and over to offers to have weekday radio, which is professionally far better for obvious reasons. You're just on more, you have a larger audience generally speaking. I just loved it, and so now ONMI, I finally agreed, you know, it's time to move on after ten years, and so that that's what happened. Does that to answer your question?
Speaker 11: Yeah?
Speaker 14: Absolutely? But are there any other shows out there like it?
Speaker 1: There is one I think in New York, but other than that, I don't believe. I don't believe that there is. And so many people in the southern California area asked me what I do it again, I just can tell you I have no answer to that, but I can tell you that it was a I almost believe, literally a godsend. I have been working, as many of you know, as a bridge between the Jewish and Christian communities, and that program every week two hours with priests, rabbis and ministers is what enabled me to understand so well the mindset, the thinking, the theology of these two great religions and indeed become a big advocate of what are called Judeo Christian values. Let's go to Helene in Colorado Springs, Colorado. Hello Helene, or yeah, Helene. Hi Dennis Prager, Hi, mister Prager.
Speaker 3: Thank you. I was wondering if if you have any magic answer to where the line lies between forgiveness and betrayal?
Speaker 1: You mean for you mean when you shouldn't forgive? Is that what you're asking when a person has lost the right to be forgiven?
Speaker 3: I guess, uh, I guess that might be.
Speaker 1: A better way to put uh huh the the uh. I believe that almost everything is forgivable except murder because the injured party is not there to forgive beyond that with a truly sincere contrition. And if you think that the person is a decent person otherwise and they really want to be forgiven and beg you that they ought to be will be back in a moment.
Speaker 2: This episode of timeless wisdom will continue right after this. Now back to more of Dennis Prager's Timeless.
Speaker 1: Wisdom, Eureka, California and Teresa Teresa Dennis Prager, Hi, Hi.
Speaker 15: Interestingly enough, my sixteen year old son came and told us that he may have to do something that we won't be happy with.
Speaker 1: Uh huh.
Speaker 15: And that is and it was he thought he might get into a fight at school, right, And the next day he came home and I asked him what happened, and I had to drag it out of him, but he said that he did not get in a fight, and the reason that he didn't was because he didn't want to disappoint us.
Speaker 1: That's the reason he didn't get into the fight. Correct, And what type of fight was it? Who started?
Speaker 11: What?
Speaker 1: Was it?
Speaker 15: A friend that he thought had done something deceiving to him?
Speaker 1: And we tried to when he means a fight, he means a physical fight.
Speaker 15: Yes, which he's never been in before.
Speaker 1: But he would start the physical aspect, well.
Speaker 15: He would talk to the boy about it and depending on what happened, and he was pretty irrational about it. He was sixteen, hadn't had a lot to think about, and that was what he thought might happen. They might get into a fight over something and.
Speaker 1: He didn't do it because he thought he might disappoint you. Correct, all right, And you want to know my reaction, well.
Speaker 15: And I, ironically I was almost disappointed with his answer because he should have chose not to do it, because it was the right thing to do, not to get in a fight.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but you see, the parent is to use Freudy in terms the superrego of a child for a long time, what would my father or mother think? Usually the father, but not always is a very major factor, especially in a boy's development of his conscience. Listen, I'll give you an example. I don't know if you're religious, and it doesn't matter for the sake of this question, but what would God think of what I did? Is to me a very good way to try to figure out whether or not something is right.
Speaker 15: Yes, and maybe he didn't even want to fight, and maybe using us as.
Speaker 1: The excers, that may well be that that that's a very perceptive comment. But but but don't don't be disappointed if if you play it's it's in fact that I think that's wonderful that a parent plays a role in a child's character development. What would my mother or my father or both think if I did x or Why that's wonderful?
Speaker 15: And we also went through well what would happen if you disappointed us? What would happen?
Speaker 1: Right? That's another question. Yes, that's a psychological one, and thank you very much. But I just need you to know, don't in any way think that that's not good. Uh. It plays a deep role in all of our lives. What would so and so think? Would I would I morally disappoint x Or? Why this notion that I only have to answer to me and my conscience. I don't buy that. I don't have trust in humans like that. I think think we need a reference point outside of ourselves. And if it's God, if it's a parent, or if it's somebody else, that's why that's good that. I think it's a very good thing. Alrighty, thank you for your call, uh, Teresa, Mike and Van Nuys, California, Mike Dennis Prager Hello, Hello, Hi Mike Dennis.
Speaker 16: I just wanted to thank you for your help, uh, your help to America. I think you do a great job.
Speaker 1: And well I try. Thank you very very much.
Speaker 16: My question is how do you think perfectionism is related to disappointment not only in others but in myself.
Speaker 1: Well, obviously, if you're a perfectionist, you'll always disappoint yourself. But I I find the word perfectionist is overused. Uh, A perfectionist what does that mean? Does it mean one who if they if something isn't perfect, they will they will not do anything. I mean, I don't. I'm a perfectionist with my writing, but I I still send in my column every week even though it you know, objectively, it's not perfect. But I keep striving. I keep editing and editing and editing. That's why it took me ten years to write my book on happiness. But I don't know if I'm a perfectionist. I just wanted to reach a level of excellence that I can approve of. So what is it? What is a perfectionist?
Speaker 16: Well, I guess it's a standard that I have in my mind about the way I do things and expecting others to do with them. Like, maybe it's not perfectionism.
Speaker 1: Oh, expecting others to reach your level?
Speaker 16: Yeah, yes, my level may not even be that high, you know.
Speaker 1: Well, I don't know. But whatever level it is, you are setting people up to disappoint you. Yes, there's no question about it. ALRIGHTY one eight Praguer seven seven six is the number. And in Minnesota, in Arden Hills, it's Steve. Hello, Steve Dennis Prager High.
Speaker 17: Hi, Dennis Kai. I am getting ready to send my son to high school here next year, and I'm beginning to work with a school in terms of just trying to ask them some questions. And here's my question for you. Where there's no expressed prohibition against something, does that imply permission?
Speaker 1: Then yes, and imply and implies permission generally, But it doesn't imply that it is proper.
Speaker 17: Okay, And here's my here's my real life example.
Speaker 1: Well, also by permission? Forgive me by permission? Do you mean is it legal? If it's something is not illegal? Okay? Well, what is what is permis? Well, well, let's you have an example. Give it because I have an example.
Speaker 4: Go ahead, here's my example.
Speaker 17: I'm just gonna check with the school in terms of their attitudes towards We know that the school has a prohibition against drinking. We know a school has a prohibition against drug use, But schools do not have prohibitions against sexual exploration. Trying to figure out kids sexual identities, and yet it's at least a destructive of force as the use of alcohol or the use of cigarettes.
Speaker 1: Wait a minute, schools prohibit alcohol at home.
Speaker 17: No, no, no, no, amongst their students.
Speaker 1: Oh icee. But they don't have you mean amongst their students at the school.
Speaker 17: Yeah, they would say, don't smoke, oh icee.
Speaker 1: But they don't have. But they don't have don't have sex at school, don't Jenial? Well, in general, in general, they can't because because they can't control what happens at home. It's an interesting question.
Speaker 2: This episode of Timeless Wisdom will continue right after this. Now back to more of Dennis Prager's Timeless Wisdom.
Speaker 1: And let's let's go to Santa Monica, California, k r LA eight seventy. Raphael, Raphael, this is Dennis Prager.
Speaker 8: Hi, Hi, Dennis, Hi. I think this is a little frivolous.
Speaker 1: Compared to your a wad frivolous questions.
Speaker 8: And I went to you first, Well here you got it then, So I know you're against laugh tracks.
Speaker 1: Like, very very opposed.
Speaker 8: Okay, So here's what changed my mind about it may have no effect.
Speaker 1: All right.
Speaker 8: So years ago I saw this documentary of this I Love Lucy episode in which you know, it's this long, drawn out, absurd situation. She's got all these eggs in her shirt and they smash, and the audience laughs and laughs and laughs. And at that time, anyway, it was the longest recorded laugh track laugh on TV. It was a minute or whatever.
Speaker 1: It was a laugh track. It wasn't an actual audience.
Speaker 8: No, it was a live audience. Sorry.
Speaker 1: Also, that's not a laugh.
Speaker 8: Yeah. Well, oh, I see what you're saying. Well, I thought you were against live audiences.
Speaker 1: Oh, why would I be. I love live audiences. Now, it's not an issue. It's like a play.
Speaker 8: Oh so you're against the pre recording.
Speaker 1: Yes, that's a lie. Oh, I see, I'm against lies. That's all. It's fake. It's it's to force me to laugh or to announce on a sitcom. You have just heard a joke.
Speaker 8: I see. Okay, well, okay, yeah, I was only defending all right.
Speaker 1: Oh, I wish they were all in front of live audiences. That's fine with me.
Speaker 8: Okay. Then, And your screener, by the way, is quite funny. She was she wanted to know if I was supporting laugh tracks for this show.
Speaker 1: Actually, that's a funny question, Janine. That is very funny that you know what, that we're going to get them. That's a great idea. That's great. So anyway, now I've calmed you.
Speaker 8: Uh yeah, apparently there's no difference of opinions.
Speaker 1: There you go. All right, thanks Raphael YouTube. Appreciate your call very much. That's funny. Yeah. Why would I be against a live audience? Absolutely not, that is true. Laughed. Can you imagine laugh tracks? Or that makes me laugh? A laugh track? That's wrong? Why not? After all? I am periodically funny? My god, just I remember November eleventh. It's not there you go. That's right, so absurd. I think it's great. Now it shows that they work. You see, this is the silliest moment in the history of my radio. Shut up, well it works, you see. Yawning makes you yawn, Laughing makes you laugh, Crying makes you cry, Scratching makes you scratch, or scratching makes you itch and then scratch. That isn't What else is contagious? By the way, that's an interesting question. Yawns, laughter, smiles, crying, scratching, anything else that comes to mind. All right, let's go to Ben in Fort Myers, Florida on w c NZ. Hey Ben Dennis Prager.
Speaker 8: Good, good, You've spoken.
Speaker 18: A lot about the hard why differences between males and female.
Speaker 1: I sure have.
Speaker 18: I had an experience with my only daughter. I have three children with one daughter, the youngest she's seven years old, and she came to me on a Friday recently and said, Daddy, I want to talk to you why. She had a dentist appointment on Monday and she's scared. So I responded with a piece of advice. I said to her, rook we call her rookie. You've been to the dentist before, it never bothered you before. This visit won't be any different. And it's only Friday. Don't ruin your weekend worrying about Monday.
Speaker 1: If that worked, I'm a pumper Nickel. You're no pumper nickel, my friend, right exactly.
Speaker 18: She got dignant, of course, and she put her hands on her hips and she said to me, Daddy, that was a sentence. I came here for a talk.
Speaker 1: Oh God, daughters, Oh God, that is precious. That is perfect. See by I just want to make it clear that what you said would have been equally ineffective with a boy. That's how I knew it. But but it's uh. The way she reacted is utterly female. Your story is perfect. Yes, I'm surprised she didn't say, Dad, I don't want solutions, I want sympathy. But that's basically that's right. Basically that's what she is. Say Hi, hider, rookie for me. By the way, it's very funny. I thought he said that she had a Dennis appointment. I'll never forget. In fact, a little girl once said asked me when I was the director of a camp, said what's your name? I said Dennis, and she said, oh, look at my molars. And I thought what until I realized a lot of people say Dennis for dentists.
Speaker 2: Tomorrow on timeless wisdom with Dennis Prager.
Speaker 1: I have great admiration for my parents' generation absolutely fought World War two, the Korean War, and much of the Cold War, and the sacrifices made at home, through the families that stayed back and then, and the numbers of Americans who died abroad and and just just went under either a draft or a volunteer to go and fight either the Japanese fascists or the Nazis. Is it is, it's there was a lot of greatness in that generation. Absolutely, I don't I don't say it's the greatest generation, is greater than the generation of George Washington and the founders of the country. That's that's an odd statement. But it certainly was a distinguished generation, and distinguished in particular by its patriotism. How did that generation produce the babyl generation characterized by so much narcissism, so much antipathy to America and its institutions, so much anger at the religion of their parents. Pretty much whatever most of those parents stood for, the kids overthrew.
Speaker 2: Join us tomorrow to hear more on Timeless Wisdom with Dennis Prager. Visit denispragger dot com for thousands of hours of Dennis's lectures, courses in classic radio programs, and to purchase Dennis Prager's Rational Bibles.