Speaker 1: Welcome to today's podcast sponsored by Hillsdale College, All Things Hillsdale at Hillsdale dot ed or I encourage you to take advantage of the many free online courses there, and of course I'll listen to Hilldale dialogues all of them at Q for Hillsdale dot com or just Google, Apple, iTunes and Hilldale. Good morning, Lauren Earan Grace America. I'm too, Hewett. Joined now by the majority leader of the United States Senate, Senator John Tune of South Dakota. Senator, good to have you back on h Thank you for joining me to I've got a lot of stuff to cover with you, and I always start with my personal favorite, which is judicial confirmation. I think you're setting some records, but you want to confirm that for me.
Speaker 2: We are, Hugh, and I know you care deeply and does do a lot of Americans, and they should because nothing shapes the future of the country more than these lifetime appointments to the court. So yeah, we are actually about ten ahead of where we were in the first Trump administration in terms of getting people on the bench. So we're going to continue to focus on that and on the executive branch as well. We're going to move a package next week of seventy four of those, which will keep us well ahead of where the first Trump administration was in terms of getting people confirmed to the departments and agencies that run the government as well. So it's a focus the personnel Department, as we've talked about before, human resources for better or worse. It's something that's a constitutional imperative for us and in the Senate, and we're going to stay focused on it, especially when it comes to the court.
Speaker 1: Yeah, if in fact the Democrats take the White House down the road, they'll have the same ability to confirm. But I think that's the way the Constitution intended it up or down votes by the.
Speaker 2: Senate, correct, And that's you know, and again when we've got the House, the White House and the Senate, which is rare historically, I think in the last one hundred years, it's only happened about four times. So we are working into clear, you know, virtually clear the executive calendar, which is both judicial and executive branch noms and we're going to stay focused on that. But yeah, it's part of the part of the Article one responsibility that we have, and I think that getting these on the floor for a vote and ensuring that we're fulfilling that responsibility and setting the country up for success by ensuring that we have constitutionalist judges on the court, to me is a really high priority.
Speaker 1: That's number one for me. Now, Senator, every time you're on I get emails afterwards. Why didn't you ask them about to say act people apparently do not hear that you support it. I support it, but I support the filibuster and you reflect the caucus. Is it correct to say that there is not a majority of the Republican caucus that supports changing the filibuster?
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's correct, I mean, and there are a lot of Republicans and frankly, you know, the president's argument is the Democrats are going to do it anyway, and that you know, I can't. I don't know the answer to that. That's a hypothetical. Maybe it happens, maybe it doesn't. But a lot of our Republican senators believe, and is one one of them described it at some point the Democrats may try to steal the car, but we're not going to hand them the keys. In other words, if all the things they want to do, DC and Puerto Rico statehood, packing the Supreme Court, abortion on demand, federalizing elections. If we open the door to allow them to do that, then we're going to own it. And I think that's the view of a lot of Senate Republicans. But on the Save Act, I mean, you're right, I strongly support it. I sponsored the original version last Congress, and I'll do whatever I can to pass it if there's a clear path of doing it. But we did put it on the floor for debate, and we had it on the floor for over a couple of weeks. We forced Democrats to take a position on all of those common sense policies. We've had five votes now on the entire Save America Act for pieces of it, including photo ID, including citizenship to register. I'm during the debate, no one's worked more consistently in support of the bill than I did. So they're common sense policies, widely supported by Republican and Democrat voters. They ought to get an automatic yes from literally every member of this body, but as the Democrats who consistently block it, there hasn't been a single Democrat and the five votes that we've had that has voted for it, And so that's what we ought to be doing is turning our fire on the Democrats, and you know, given their staunch on wavering opposition to the bill, I think it would be a message we should carry the voters across the country and further highlight the contrast between Democrats and Republicans on the issue and get away if we can, from attacking each other.
Speaker 1: And I've told the President on this program, Leader that I support the filibuster and I don't believe actually that Democrats will break it unless they get an overwhelming majority, because I don't think I think they're like your caucus. There are a lot of people who don't talk about it much, but they respect the institution enough that they're not going to break it. Am I right about that?
Speaker 3: I think you are.
Speaker 2: And I know it was probably highlighted this last week when you saw John Fettermann, who was out there actively supporting getting rid of the filibuster, write an op ed and the whe Washington Poast Washington Post defending the filibuster and saying that he completely changed his position on that. And I've been approached by Democrats on the floor with the same basically view. But I think that you're right, doesn't get talked a lot about, and there's pressure on their side, just like there is on ours to get rid of it from some base voters. And you know, anytime you have a president, every president wants to get rid of the Senate filibuster because they viewed as an impediment to getting things done. But it has served as an important check and balance through the years, and if you're a conservative in this country, it has been allowed us to stop more really crazy, horrific ideas to expand and grow government and create a lot of really left leaning liberal Democrat policy through the years. And that's the way a lot of Republicans view it.
Speaker 1: As has been good legislation gets through. Example the Russia sanctions bill this week that got through with a bipartisan, big bulge of support it did.
Speaker 2: I think that's evidence again that it does work, it can work. We've seen a number of examples of that bipartisan legislation. There's a number of things I think that are still ahead of us on the agenda that we could get done with bipartisan votes. To you, but yeah, Russia sanctions, of course, and there's a huge, as you would expect around here, desire to do this for Lindsay is a tribute to him, but also because it's the right thing to do for the country. I mean, we've really got a chance to do something that helped shift the playing field in Iraq, and these sanctions tart Or I should say, not rac Ukraine, but these sanctions target Russian officials, oligarchs, family members, foreign persons, Russian banks and financial institutions, as well as this Russian shadow fleet which continues to allow Russian oil and gas to fund Putin's war. So it's important we get this done. And there was a big bipartisan vote for it yesterday, and we've got to finish it now. You've got to get it across the finish line. But I think we should hopefully continue to see strong bipartisan support for it, which is an example of how this place can and should work.
Speaker 1: Now, everything I want to turn to the midterms, because we got hold onto the Senate and I'm doing everything you can for Senator Collins is the most powerful women in the United States Congress, probably in Washington, Senator Sullivan and Alaska where they're trying trickery up there. Senator Houston in Ohio. Senator Ricketts Nebraska, Mortrty tricks with Ricketts, and then we got challenges Rogers in Georgia, Mike Collins, accuse me, Mike Collins in Georgia, Johnson or Scott Brown in New Hampshire. What do you make of the mid term outlook right now?
Speaker 2: I you know, I think you know, given the fact that if you look at into polling and the you know, the so called generic ballot, we're facing some political headwinds. We're probably facing, arguably too, depending on what happens in the Middle East, some economic headwinds. But the truth is we were as well positioned as we possibly can't possibly can be. You mentioned some of our candidates. We have high quality candidates and all the right places, all the competitive races around the country, and you know, we've got a firewall that we've got to keep. I think the Senate is the firewall for the country. If the House flips, hopefully we can keep them both, but we've got to protect the Senate, and that firewall runs through places like you said, it's Maine, it's Ohio, it's Iowa, it's Alaska. We got an open seat in North Carolina. We're taken on incumbents in Georgia and New Hampshire and Michigan, and we've got great candidates in all those places. You've got to make sure they're well resourced and that we're out communicating our message and drawing a contrast with the Democrats. I mean, this is where I think, you know, instead of turning our fire on each other, we really ought to be because we have there's a Democrat party in this country that's so far out of the political mainstream. They are so extreme and so radical in a lot of their ideas, and so we just got to take take that case to the American people and draw the contrast between their vision of the future and ours.
Speaker 1: Later, we got two minutes left. I know, you've got a work period before the August work period back in the state. Will that include the NDAA because the National Defense Authorization has been held up for Democrats. It's the first time I've been on there for twenty seven years that this has happened, that Democrats have been so obstructions. Is that they held up the NDAA. Is that going to break? Are they going to change their minds?
Speaker 2: It's crazy, you, I mean, they're making it all about Iran. But the fact of the matter is this. Defunding the military is job number one. I mean, if you don't get that right, the rest is conversation. So we're going to do everything we can to get that voted on again if they won't give us the vote. We did get a bill reported out of the Senate Armed Services Committee. The House passed an Armed Defense Authorization bill. We could go to conference with the committee passed version of that, and then you know, try and get something out of the conference the Democrats will vote for when it comes back to the floor. But is incredibly irresponsible on their part. It is, frankly, I mean inexcusable if you think about what the state for a country for them to hold up the thing that authorizes taking care of our troops they're paid, taking care of the military families, ensuring that we've got the right weaponry and technology to keep our country safe and to deter and defeat any threat that's out there to America's national security interest. So it's critically important. The other thing they're blocking right now, which I know appreciate as well, is FAISA, which is the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act.
Speaker 1: Now that we've got to got a security thing, so we got to get it. Lada Johnthun always good to talk to you. Thank you for the updates on all of that, and I appreciate it very much. Touch you again soon, Thank you, Thank you, Lada Johnson. I'll be right back. America states that welcome back in America. Congressman Dan Muser is from the great state of Pennsylvania. Now you know, I normally keep Steelers and Eagles fans off the show because they're hostile to the Browns. But Selena Zeta likes Dan News and Vince Steve Bendade likes Dan Muser. So I'm glad to have you on. Congressman. How are you and how are things up in Wilkesbarre.
Speaker 3: Hey, how are you?
Speaker 2: You?
Speaker 4: Great to be with you and Boyle boy, I'm in good company with Selena and all.
Speaker 3: Thank you. Well.
Speaker 5: Right now, I'm in Lebanon County.
Speaker 4: Met there Lebanon County Fair, which is just tremendous, very well attended, some great people. I got our GOP friend Mike Feirestein and the county directors. The fair directors show me around, very well attended, lots of lots of great milkshakes and food, and so if anybody's around, come on down to the Lebanon County Fair.
Speaker 3: Actually we got it.
Speaker 4: It's fair time of year, so I mean, I was at the schoogl yesterday. I've been to Lambing down in Burks County, so making the rounds.
Speaker 5: I'm in the district.
Speaker 1: I love county fairs. I'm from Trumbull County congressman, right over the Pennsylvania border near Sharon. Never missed it any summer. It's a great way to spend some time. But you've been busy in Congress as well. Reck Andillytion three point zero. I'm very happy to see that pretty narrow win. But a win's a win.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we have our fights on our hands.
Speaker 1: We've got our challenges.
Speaker 4: You saw probably how a few Republicans, of course weren't there initially, and we have a three vote majority, so we need everybody basically with We're able to give up two this past week. So but look the reconciliation. You know, we passed the budget resolution. It's important primarily because Republicans are the only ones voting for measures that will strengthen our country. And frankly, our friends to the left, colleague, some of them friends, not all are four disrupting things as well as possible, because their whole goal is I'm winning the mid terms, and if things are not going well and they can point that out, then you know they feel that helps them politically, and frankly, I think that's pretty damn sad.
Speaker 5: I would prefer that they help us, that we.
Speaker 4: All work to make our country as strong as it should be and then fight over who gets the credit. That's what I think politics should be about. But unfortunately, man, it's it's not. But but within this, we've got the Save America Act.
Speaker 5: We've got some big.
Speaker 4: Farm money, agriculture money, and we have some added defense funding, which which is essential and we'll see. We also looking to pass a continued resolution since the budget is stuck for for a little bit, hopefully not too long into December. UH And but we had a lot of other things going on right We passed the Stock Trading Act stop stop inside of Trading Act.
Speaker 5: So we're trying.
Speaker 4: To do the things that America expects us to do, and all the while, UH cover the macros, National cover the.
Speaker 1: Macro, but also got a district to take care of. Every congressman in America has got to take care of their district. I think there's nine and a half million dollars heading into Pennsylvania. Ninth Am. I right about that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we just recently received nine and a half million dollars for rural Hospital fund, very very important. I outlined carefully which hospitals needed what, and we were able to come through. I mean, that's also a bill, by the way, that came out of the one big beautiful bill, the Working Families Tax cut portion of it, whereby we found fifty billion dollars for rural hospitals.
Speaker 5: That'll be allocated over a five year period.
Speaker 4: Pennsylvania's receiving one hundred and ninety three million of that, and in the first trunch my district received nine million dollars. There were a number of Pennsylvanians that were strongly behind that. In particular, I'm going to mention Rob Resihan, who's a freshman who led a lot of It's there. I was with him when he was telling the speaker, I've got to have this. Here are the losses that I'm getting from my rural hospitals. And by the way, they had nothing to do with the work requirements that haven't even gone to effect yet that the Democrats or excuse me. The Social Democrats, as they insist on being called, run ad stating how we're we've cut medicaid and people are losing their medicaid.
Speaker 5: No Medicaid, nothing's been cut.
Speaker 4: The only thing that's going to be changed is work our work requirements and they won't go into effect until January one, twenty twenty seven. So the ads that they're running now and for this campaign on healthcare are completely false, completely.
Speaker 5: Fabricated, and frankly alives.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Congressman Dan Music, I've been watching the Democrats run against good, solid, serious legislators like you for twenty seven years. They always run the same ad, you know, the same ad, always trying to destroy healthcare. You're not. You just saved the Royal Hospital in your district. I'm curious. Did they nominate what I'll call a normy liberal, you know, just a just a normy Democrat from the city council or a supervisor, or did they go full ds A on you and send up a leftist.
Speaker 5: You know, I'm not sure yet.
Speaker 4: I do see our colleagues such as Ryan McKenzie, Scott Perry uh and Rob Residinhan have those that are just falling in line.
Speaker 5: You know, Hugh, Hugh, I see.
Speaker 4: You on on Fox. I'll tell you what you do an amazing job messaging. I find myself taking notes.
Speaker 5: Very often when when when you're uh speaking.
Speaker 4: But but the left is many aren't extremists. Many are not necessarily traditional Democrats, but they are not as extreme as the you know, the social Democrats or the communists or whom that are that are being elected out there. And they're not just being elected in New York like we're looking at Mandani, uh, but they're being elected.
Speaker 5: In Philadelphia, They're being elected in Michigan.
Speaker 1: They're being elected in a lot of places.
Speaker 4: And I think what many see that the tail is going to be wagging the dog, the socialist tale is going to be wagging the Democrat dog, and they're absolutely fearful of pushing back on them. And the sad part is those that get even if they portray themselves as a moderate, and they happen to win in Pennsylvania because those are the opponents that.
Speaker 5: I know best.
Speaker 4: They will vote with the extreme ents, with the Progressive Caucus, with the squad, with AOC and with omar my estimate and my guarantee ninety eight, if ninety eight percent of the time, if not one hundred percent of the time. But but to answer your question, I don't know yet. My opponent is not really engaged at so much at this point. I'm sure that'll change, except for social media and that sort of thing.
Speaker 5: So we'll see, you.
Speaker 4: Know, I hope to have a policy debate, but i'll see how extreme that that that my opponent gets.
Speaker 1: Last question Congress a muser. First time we've met, Vince told me wonderful things about you, so I wanted to talk to you. You're a Norman, you were a businessman before you went to Congress. That really matters to me, because you don't vote for stupid stuff. Is it? Is it better or worse than you thought when you first got there. I mean, you got good speaker and Mike Johnson. You had a good speaker and Kevin McCarthy. But the Democrats are losing their mind. Got a minute, Yeah, Democrats all lose.
Speaker 5: Well, it's not some days, it's worse.
Speaker 2: See.
Speaker 5: I put it this way.
Speaker 4: The best part of Congress probably is actually the quality of the people. And I tell that to my district and the crowds and they look at me like I'm crazy.
Speaker 5: But no, we've got.
Speaker 4: Generals, we've got successful business people, we got doctors, we've got Navy seals, we've got you know you, Nick, I mean we there for the right reason.
Speaker 5: And you know what.
Speaker 4: On the Democrats side you get talking, many of them too, are truly there for the right reasons.
Speaker 5: They might believe things a lot differently than us, but they're not crazy.
Speaker 1: They don't deliberately lie.
Speaker 5: But the hipocrisy do. The hipocrisy that takes.
Speaker 4: Place, and ninety five percent of it on the Democrat side, that's hard to take.
Speaker 1: It is, especially on things like insiders stock trading, which you've got through or helped get through their newser good first time. I hope you come back, enjoy the fair in Lebanon County, Corn and glory and evening grace America. I'm Hugh Hewett, hour number two on this Thursday edition of the program. I'm kicking it off with our next senator from North Carolina, Michael Wattley, former chairman of the Republican National Committee. Of course, he's all over the tar Heel State as we are. Michael tell us how goes the campaign. The website is Michael Wattley dot com. Wh A T l e Y Michael Wattley dot com. I'm sure you would like donations and volunteers. Tell us how it's going.
Speaker 6: It's going great. You know, we have finished our hundred county tour and we're back on the road making sure that we're getting to every one of US county is having conversations with folks. You know, we are meeting with farmers, we're meeting with manufacturers, small business owners, and of course voters from across the state and talking about what they want. You know, one of the things that I saw when I was the RNC chair, when I was the North Carolina Republican Party chair, is that people want to know who you're going to fight for, and they want to know you're going to fight for them, You're going to fight for their families and their communities. And that's exactly what we're going to do. We're going to make sure that we're having you know, policies in position at the federal level. They're going to help people make more and keep more. That we're going to keep our kids in our communities safe, and of course we're going to have a strong presence around the world, a strong military. And my opponent Roy Cooper's made it very clear throughout the course of his campaign, and he's been out to you know, maybe eight, ten, fifteen counties, something like that. He's running from the basement. He's going to fight for criminals. He's going to fight for illegal aliens. He's going to fight for men who want to play in girls' sports and go in women's locker rooms. He's going to fight for higher taxes, going to fight for higher energy prices. That's not what the North Carolina people want to see.
Speaker 1: Now, Michael lot Lay, Roy Cooper is beige. I've been asked to describe various candidates. I can talk to you about Monounty all day long. I know what else Sayid is gonna do. I know who Susan Collins is running again, sort of a lightweight grand platner. But it comes to Roy Cooper, he's beige. And I just fall back on the fact. Take a look at the Charlotte transportation system. He was governor for a year. How can that be so dangerous? What's his connection to that?
Speaker 6: Michael, Well, look, I mean Roy Cooper as the governor was the worst governor in the history of North Carolina. And you look at the transportation system North Carolina. Roy Cooper let forty two hundred criminals out of prison, forty two hundred hardened criminals. I mean, we're talking the worst of the worst, pedophiles, rapists, and murderers, right. And of course, when you let forty two hundred criminals out of prison, what do you think they're going to do? They went right back to the life of crime. And over half of them, twenty two hundred of them, have since been rearrested. And we've seen hundreds of them who've been rearrested for violent felonies, aggravated assault, assault with a deadly weapon, ninety nine of them have been re arrested and convicted for sexual assault, for rape, for child pornography charges, and twenty five of them have been rearrested for murder have been convicted of murder, including de Carlos Brown Junior, probably the most famous guy on the list. You know who got rearrested and re released thirteen more times under Roy Cooper's policies before he got on a light railcar in Charlotte last year and brutally murdered Arena's Rootska, who's a beautiful young Ukrainian refugee in cold blood, and that murder has gotten a lot of national attention because it was on video, and you know, if you haven't seen a video, don't go look at it's horrifying, but it got a lot of national attention. Well, that monster should have never been on that car. He should not have been on the streets in North Carolina. Arenas or Ropeska should be alive today. And her blood is on Roy Cooper's as you know. And I wish that's where the story ended, but it doesn't, you know, because there were twenty four other people, you know, who got murdered by convicts that Roy Cooper let out. And so you think about this year at Thanksgiving or this year at Christmas, you're gonna have twenty five empty seats around those tables in North Carolina because Roy Cooper put these criminals back on the streets.
Speaker 1: Well, I think that's issue number one. Has to be issue number two. Democrats in the Senate, and he'll just be a loyal, go along to get along freshman. He'll serve. He's not going to serve long enough to have any swing in the Senate. They're stopping the National Defense Authorization Act right now. They're stopping the appropriation for the pentagont Does everyone in the military community, in the retired military community in North Carolina know that, Michael Whitley.
Speaker 6: It's tremendously important here in North Carolina. Who you raise an absolutely great point. You know, we have about ten percent of all of the men and women in uniform between the Army and Navy, Air Force, Marines, and Coast Guard are actually based in North Carolina. The military families that support them are tremendously important part of our fabric here in North Carolina. We have seven hundred and twenty thousand veterans who live in North Carolina, more than any other state in the country. So yeah, you know, these issues really affect folks. And what Roy Cooper has done in terms of going after our troops, denigrating their service, trying to belittle it what's happening in the Middle East right now is.
Speaker 3: A real disgrace.
Speaker 6: You know, I was last night down at Camp La June. I was down at an event in Onslow County, North Carolina, and when we talked about Roy Cooper and his failure to support our troops and support the mission that they have right now over in Iran. You know, round boots, like the people really really opposed to him, and the fact that he's not going to stand up for our troops. I'm gonna fight for him every single.
Speaker 1: Day, and I'm just afraid people don't understand what the Democrats are doing is unprecedented. The NDAA National Defense Authorization nine has never failed to advance, and the Democrat you're blocking it. Roy Cooper, I'm sure right in line with that. Let me ask you about his money. I was on Fox today talking about the dark money operation over on the left, Sheldon white House, Democrat from Rhode Island, always talking about dark money. In fact, it's coming from Arabella Advisors, Sorrows Junior, sorrow Senior. It's hundreds of millions of dollars. Is that where Roy Cooper is getting his bank from.
Speaker 3: Absolutely?
Speaker 6: You know, Chuck Schumer's made it very clear he is desperate to win this seat that he's going to put hundreds of millions of dollars into North Carolina to elect Roy Cooper is his puppet because he knows he's going to be a reliable vote there. He'll vote with James tall Rico, He'll vote with Abdul Lsaeid, He'll vote on the Democratic platform, champion by Zorn Mom Donnie in AOC, He's going to be a card carrying member of the woke mob. So we do know that you're going to see hundreds of millions of dollars coming through those Democratic pipelines into North Carolina. We will have enough money to put our message out there.
Speaker 3: It's very important.
Speaker 6: And I know that your viewers go to Michael Wattley dot com and sign up and so sport the campaign. But we're getting out there. We're going to all one hundred counties. We're having those conversations. And the one thing that we consistently hear across that state they want a strong North Carolina.
Speaker 3: They want a strong America.
Speaker 6: They want a strong economy, they want strong borders, they want a strong national security, they want safe communities.
Speaker 3: That's what we're fighting for.
Speaker 6: You know, Kamala Harris outspent us in the twenty twenty four election cycle, outspent President Trump by over a billion dollars, and she lost because she was not a good candidate. Candidates and campaigns really matter. And the fact is good policy is good politics. And that's what we're running on in North Carolina and.
Speaker 1: The people of Western North Carolina. Remember how Joe Biden and Roy Cooper did not show up when they were hurting.
Speaker 3: They absolutely do.
Speaker 6: I hear it every single time I go up to the mountains, you know, And every single time I talked to President Trump, he asked how's Western North Carolina recovering? And the fact that I brought President Trump up to Ashville and Swannanoah during the campaign, and we brought him up right after he was sworn in. His first trip as president, in fact, was to western North Carolina. And the fact that people will never forget. On that day September twenty seventh, twenty twenty four, when the hurricane slammed into Western North Carolina, Roy Cooper was up at a celebration a climate change gala in New York City. He wasn't even in North Carolina. He didn't show up for the next three months as governor. He was completely derelict and his duty failed Western North Carolina. Since the President came in, I have actually been asked to help make sure that we get relief. In ten point seventy five billion dollars that we've brought to Western North Carolina. It's the largest storm recovery program in the history of the state. Roads are being rebuilt, Bridges have been rebuilt, water systems are up and running. The Blue Ridge Parkway is open, you know, and we've seen cultural icons like Lake Lure and Chimney Rock that are back open. You know, we're not ready to hang out a mission accomplished sign. There's still a lot of work to do. The people of Western North Carolina are really wrong. Those communities are resilient, but they know Roy Cooper let them down. Roy Cooper failed Western North Carolina.
Speaker 1: So just some raw politics here, Michael Wattley. We've got Charlotte, it's a deep blue dot. Does the rest of the state have to come through for you? Is it the rest of the state versus Charlotte in an RD Senate race?
Speaker 3: They do?
Speaker 6: You know, And if you think about you know, Charlotte, Raleigh, Durham, Greensboro, Asheville. Yeah, these are blue cities, but we've got red counties all across the state.
Speaker 3: We are very evenly divided.
Speaker 6: We're thirty percent Republican, We're thirty percent Democrat, We're forty percent unaffiliated, which is our version of independence, you know, plus plus you know, one point five percent other In there, but we're a purple state. We need to go out and talk to every voter, you know, and we're seeing six hundred and fifty people a week who are moving into Charlotte, hundreds are moving into Raleigh and the other cities.
Speaker 3: So that's why we're going out.
Speaker 6: We're having those conversations not just in the big cities, but in the rural areas, the suburban areas. We've been to the mountains, we've been to the coast. I want to have this conversation with every voter in North Carolina. How can I help you? What can I do to make sure that you make more and you keep more? How are we gonna keep our community safe? You know I've been endorsed by the Police Benevolent Association, the highwaytroopers and sheriffs from one end of the state to the other because they know I'm going to back the blue and I'm gonna keep our community safe.
Speaker 1: Superb candidate in North Carolina. He'll be a great senator for the tar Hill state. Michael Wattley, go and get involved in the campaign Michael Wattley dot com. If you've got a state where you've got a safe in coming or no race at all. That's a place to invest some money. Michael Wattley dot com. If you're a North Carolinian, you want to walk a precinct, make some phone calls, get involved in the process. Michaelwattley dot com Chairman Wattley, good to talk to you again, See you again. I'll check in again next month. Michael Wattley dot com. Stay tuned, America. Jayfeely is next from Arizona. I'm Hugh Heurett. Welcome back America, Hugh Hewitt. I want my friends in Phoenix listening. I'm am nine sixty. The answer to lean in a little bit closer because your next congressman is here. Jay Feely is running for the first congressional district outside of Phoenix. You'll know the name because very successful NFL kicker for a long time. Jay Feely. Welcome. Somehow you manage not to kick for the Browns. Maybe because Bill Dawson was there for a long time. But my club's gone through like one hundred kickers. Did you just refuse to go try out for them?
Speaker 2: Ever?
Speaker 7: No, Phil was amazing. He's one of the best kickers of my generation for sure. And you know, big fans of the Haslam family, hoping that they can turn that franchise around and get it back to some glory. Cleveland fans need it, sort of the Arizona fans. We need to start winning again as well.
Speaker 1: Amen, both of the Cardinals and end of the Browns a good year and maybe they can meet in the super Bowl and throw everybody overboard.
Speaker 5: Jay, why do this?
Speaker 1: You don't have to run for Congress. Why are you doing it?
Speaker 7: We need more people in office who have already been successful, who want to go there for the right reasons and aren't going there to enrich themselves.
Speaker 3: We have so many politicians that.
Speaker 7: Go there, make a career out of it, grow their net worth.
Speaker 3: I'm the opposite.
Speaker 7: I'm the guy who my wife and I've always tried to utilize the blessings God gave us to impact others, and we wanted to do this on a political level, and felt like that was the next progression and step for us was Okay, I'm willing to give up a job in broadcasting that I only have to work five months of the year, you.
Speaker 3: Get seven months off. It pays really well.
Speaker 7: But I felt like there's things that were more important and I could effectuate change in politics, and I just felt like it was my time. It was my time to serve, and that was why we decided to do this.
Speaker 3: I think it's we've.
Speaker 7: Never been out a time I don't think in my lifetime where the two parties have been further apart ideologically and their vision for this country has never been further apart. And it's one of the reasons why I wanted to get into office and keep this seat a Republican seat. It's one of the most important seats in the country and we need to make sure we keep this a Republican seat so we keep the majority.
Speaker 1: Jay, it's a pivot heere for Arizona. Somehow Katie hop snuck in there four years ago. And I think Andy Biggs is going to retire. But you've got a ballot measure to try and repeal school choice. You got a bunch of new faces like you, Jay Feely. How is it all coalescing? Is everyone working together? Which is what? Yeah. I've been going over there for years with Steve Twist and John Shattick and our friends Danny Sidon and all sorts of friends, and I just can't believe that Arizona isn't a red state. It's always been a red state.
Speaker 7: Well, you just brought up a bunch of guys supporting our campaign and grateful for what they've done for this state. My wife, who is a former teacher, you know, we've always been I was on the school board, so we've always been big advocates of school choice and the ESA program and giving low income people the opportunity to choose where their kids go and to put them in private schools that they want to, to give them the choice to be able to help their kids. And you know, I love that about this state and we need to make sure that we protect it. And I do think everybody is coalescing because we do know when you look around the country and you look at New York, in those three house seats in Colorado and Pennsylvania and the DC mayor, so many people Michigan and it's happening now. So many people getting elected that believe in Democrats, socialism, that believe in the changing the foundations of what our country has stood on. Abolishing prisons, abolishing borders, getting rid of the Senate, getting rid of the electoral college, stacking the Supreme Court. They are honest about what they want to do to this country. It is fundamentally changing it. And I think that's going to be a big issue in this election, in particular because my district, it cares about the economy, it cares about affordability. It wants the right future for our children and our grandchildren.
Speaker 3: That's what I'm going to fight for.
Speaker 1: So, Jay Feely, let's tell people where the district is. Arizona First has got an interesting aspect. What are some of the suburb cities around Phoenix that are in it?
Speaker 7: Yeah, if you think of the greater Scottsdale area, Paradise, Valley, Cave Creek, all the way out to los sends down into Phoenix as well, it is really the Scottsdale area. It's a very educated district. Over fifty percent of people have college degrees. It's a wealthy district. It's a district that cares about the economy. You know, they don't love all the partisan stuff. They want somebody who's going to go there, who's honest, who's transparent about what they believe, is going to fight to create the right type of economic environment so your businesses can succeed, and so that you can see succeed individually. Individually, raising your family and that your kids can have that opportunity to go and do the same thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah. One of my closest friends for many years is named John Campbell. He's a California congressman. He's retired to Scottsdale. He's out there in your neck of the woods. Now say tap in and find out what it's like to be a congressman. But I mean, who recruited you into this? Did Tom Emmer come out there or Speaker Jonathan who put the arm on Jay Feely?
Speaker 3: You know all of the above.
Speaker 7: Tom Emmer and Jim Jordan and I have done things for a number of years when they've come out here to help politicians. And I didn't need anything for many pol Tian so I could just go there and help support people that I wanted to see in office. And you know, President Trump has been talking to me about running for a few years, and I kept saying no because I had two kids at home. My two youngest daughters were at home, and we wanted to wait until they got out of the house. And we were empty nesslers this year and felt like it was the right time, felt like it was the time for people to be willing to sacrifice to be willing to stand up for their.
Speaker 3: Beliefs and have the fortitude.
Speaker 7: You know, fourteen years in the NFL and then ten years broadcasting certainly has given me thick skin to be able to get into the political fire and not care when people lie about you and say things about you.
Speaker 3: My wife certainly has been through with me.
Speaker 7: She sat in the stands when I missed game winners and had people disparage me. And so we've been down that road and we're ready to get into this political fight and try to make this country better.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Jay Pheeley, I've never thought about the spouse of an NFL kicker. I thought about NFL kickers because I'm sure you had a best kick and a worst kick. Everyone does, but your poor spouse. They're on the spent every time, right you're thinking of your teammates will patch you on the back, but no matter what happens, but your poor spouse is up there. Why did you guys settle in Phoenix in Scottsdale.
Speaker 3: We love the area here.
Speaker 7: We had been on six different teams, and you know, we could have moved back to Michigan, where my wife's from, or Florida, where I'm from and decided to raise our family here in Arizona because we loved it, and we loved the school that our kids were going to, you know, and just felt like this was the right area to raise our kids and now our grandkids.
Speaker 3: We got four grandkids here. Hugh love it.
Speaker 7: My wife, when we had our first grandchild, she said, Okay, I'm not teaching anymore. I want to be home hanging out with those grandkids. And our grandsaid facetimeser every morning. So she just loves it.
Speaker 3: And you know, when you have an.
Speaker 7: Area where you love raising your kids and your family, you want to stay there and you want to invest in the community. That's what we've always done here, and you know, having a heart for people and trying to effectuate change.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 3: I went to a Jesuit high school.
Speaker 7: Their model was men for others, and I tried to take that into my career in the NFL, and then I tried to take it into raising our kids. It's one of the reasons why we took our kids around the world to do projects we didn't you know, we built homes in Mexico. We went down to Haiti with them after the earthquake many times, took them over to Africa, to Malawi. I wanted them to have an appreciation for this country and.
Speaker 3: To have a heart for service.
Speaker 7: And that was the best way that I could figure out how to do it, not only engaging here in Arizona in our community, but showing them what some of the other countries in the world look like. So if they could look back and say, I'm living in the greatest country in the world, and I want to appreciate that country.
Speaker 1: And boy, do you have broadcaster chops. I can tell you know some candidates are a little bit slow. Not Jaypheely. What's the website? Jay, Let's make sure people in the Phoenix area can volunteer and contribute.
Speaker 3: Bangs you.
Speaker 7: Japhey Forcongress dot Com. We are going to be all over the valley. If you want to come be a part of it, be a part of our huge, great team that's going out communicating with arizonas.
Speaker 3: Please reach out to us.
Speaker 1: Japheey for Congress dot Com. Japheeley for Congress dot Com. Keep coming back, Jake, great to talk to you. Don't go anywhere, America. I got lots more ahead in this hour, including Elizabeth Patton. Our Kansas contact for Americans for Prosperity, Josh Crosscher will be along and we got update you on Iran sent Com has put out a notice that everything Iron is saying, everything they're saying is a lie. I really wouldn't even deal with these people until they stopped lying about blowing up American ships and shooting down F thirty five. They're gonna lie on the propaganda outlets, They're gonna lie in the negotiations. Don't deal with them, mister President. I'll be right back on the Duke Hewitt Show. Welcome back in America. I'm Duke Cuitt. We have a great sponsor in Americans for Prosperity, and one of the things I like to do is to talk to their regional directors, in this case, Elizabeth Patton in Kansas. She joins us from Kansas. I think you're in Kansas, aren't you, Elizabeth?
Speaker 7: I am.
Speaker 8: I'm in Topeka, Kansas, all right.
Speaker 1: I was at the American Legislative Exchange Council last week, talked to the next governor of Kansas, talked to the House Speaker. What's going on in Kansas that people need to know about?
Speaker 9: Our primary election is on Tuesday, August fourth, And you're right, you did get to talk to our next governor, hopefully, which we will find out how that primary goes for him on Tuesday.
Speaker 8: But we also have.
Speaker 9: A Supreme Court constitutional amendment on our ballots, and we are looking to change Kansas from the nominating commission we have currently to direct elections for our Supreme Court, change the makeup of our court.
Speaker 8: It's a big deal.
Speaker 1: Oh, excellent idea, because those nominating commissions always are stand patters run by the Bar Association always and everywhere across the United States. I hate him. So how's that polling? What do you think?
Speaker 9: It's rather finn So it's really important that all of our people in Kansas get out and vote. This is a once in a generation opportunity. And you're exactly right. In Kansas, the Bar Association controls controls, the Court, controls the nominating commission eight out of ten, and our Democrat donors they are liberals picking liberals. And this is our chance to get the Court to better reflect Kansas and.
Speaker 5: What we are.
Speaker 1: If the initiative passes, how will the transition in the court take place? Two judges a year, three justices a year.
Speaker 9: Yes, so starting in twenty twenty eight, about two judges a year staggered over time is how it looks like right now. But the biggest thing is we are taking several over eight hundred words in the Kansas Constitution and replacing it with four simple sentences. And that will also allow the legislature to make all of the specifics and the rules and ethics around that, and so we're not over constitutionalizing things, and we can make sure to get that right with the legislature next year.
Speaker 1: How many members on the Kansas Supreme Court, Elizabeth.
Speaker 9: So there's seven right now and only only one I think is even potentially aligned at all the real that's.
Speaker 1: So amazing to me that a very red state, and Kansas is very read. Occasional throw out a blue goather, right, but mostly it's a red state. The delegation has read, the Senators are read. How do they end up with a left wing Supreme Court? How's that happen?
Speaker 9: They're getting picked by left wing lawyers. And lawyers are less than one percent of the Kansas population, but they're the ones who vote on the nominating Commission, and the nominating Commission votes on the Supreme Court and they have a controlling majority of the Nominating Commission and they only need five votes to pass names on to the governor for the Supreme Court. So the appointed members are in the minority and their votes don't matter, so we get liberals picking liberals.
Speaker 1: What's the number or the letter of the initiative in Kansas, it's just the right to vote amendment.
Speaker 9: It's the only one on the ballot, So Amendment one or the one that you'll have, and it's vote yes. There might be a few local ones depending on where you live, but it's the big ballot for the judges.
Speaker 8: Vote yes.
Speaker 1: Are you going to get a good turnout? Because common sense initiatives like Measure one benefit when a lot of people vote.
Speaker 9: It does and that's what we're really working on right now is making sure that you know, folks get out and vote. It really matters. Like I said, it's a once in a generation opportunity. We also have the governor's race on the ballot, and it's so important for the future of our state that people get out and don't take it for granted and make that vote and vote yes. We're not going to get another shot at this.
Speaker 1: How do we get involved with AFP and Kansas Elizabeth. Where's the website for the Kansas chapter.
Speaker 9: So the best way to do that is to go to Sunflowerstatesolutions dot com. That is the Kansas specific website where you can find out what we're up to and reach out that way. Also on social media, follow us on x reach out on Instagram or Facebook to our chapter pages. That is also a great way to get involved. So any of those options, we'd love to hear from you. We'd love to get people plugged in.
Speaker 1: They can also follow liz An at Lizanne and Patent with two t's l I Z A N N P A T T O and how long you have been with AFP lit in.
Speaker 9: I've been with AFP on nine years this month. Actually, he's gone.
Speaker 1: Look old enough. Yeah you're starting high school?
Speaker 5: Thank you?
Speaker 1: Well, No, that's always in Kansas.
Speaker 9: Always in Kansas. But before that, I worked for US Senator Jerry Moran, and before that's some other political nonprofits in the ESPN world, But always in Kansas since since college moved here. My husband's actually a lawyer, although he's one of the good ones. Even though he's a trial lawyer. He's voting yes on this Amendment, and so we've been here for the last twenty years.
Speaker 1: I think you'd be surprised. A lot of lawyers just want a fair shot when they go up to the state Supreme Court, and you don't get a fair shot when it's a bar assistiate. I just can't tell you how glad I'm not doing that. Remember, Americans for Prosperity in Kansas, vote yes on Measure one, follow Lizon on x at l I Z and and patent. Thank you Liz, and thanks to Americans for Prosperity as well. I'll be right back with Josh Croshauer. Stay tuned, lorgom back America. Josh Krashauer is executive editor Aaron Chief of Josh Insider. Josh sent Com. Has put out a press release pushing back against the Iranian state media in the IRGC claims that they blew up a bunch you have thirty five. They hit American ships and we are continuing to intercept Iranian drones and missiles aimed at things. What I think President Trump does tonight hit them pretty hard last night. Was that a one night in don night or is it the beginning?
Speaker 10: Well, he hit them pretty hard last night. It was in response for the Iranian surprise attack against US military facilities in Jordan, and increasingly there's an expectation that, you know, we are in this kind of holding pattern where I think, you know, the President isn't calling it war, but boy, there's a lot of knetic kinetic action in the region, and the President has said he's going to respond to any Iranian provocation with a very strong response. Now the question is are we going to is this going to be a tit for cat that's you know, going on indefinitely, or we back at a more escalatory phase, And right now it looks more of the former, but I think everyone is prepared for the latter.
Speaker 1: Last night, the Wall Street Journal broke a story which is still up over at their website, that Admiral Brad Cooper had a sent com has prepared a two week plan to devastate Iran's remaining targets. That's what I want. Uh, did Prime Minister and you know who have a position yesterday? As far as you can tell from the reporting out of that meeting.
Speaker 10: Yeah, everything I've heard about the presidential meeting with the Prime minister is that the Prime Minister did not say this is what we kind of want that he just kind of offered the intelligence that the Israelis had the kind of sense that these are these would be the options that you could tackle Iranian e RAN's economy and deal with it that way. He could tackle the military options with these with these options, but did not offer any preferred course of action, just had more of a conversation and a sharing of intelligence. Look, Brad Cooper, I think he has been the most wary of Iran and has been, you know, I think among the most hawkish advisors in the President's inner circle. There's also a lot of concern that you know, the the interceptors that some of the defensive you know, equipment is not is running low, and that's been leaked into the press in recent weeks. And the question is, I think, to the Pentagon and to the President, whether a two week escalatory period could actually do serious damage to Iran's missile capacity and really set them back a significant way.
Speaker 1: All right, now, let me do it one ady on you and switch to Michigan. Against all my expectations, outside is hanging in there. According to polymarket and various polls that have shown out with late breaking voters going to him as opposed to sort of Democrat, normy lefty Hailey Stevens, what's your sense of that race.
Speaker 10: Well, we're in a strange new world in politics, in primary politics, where the Democratic Party, we've learned since the rise of Mamdani in New York, has been drawn to the Socialists, has been drawn to the extreme anti Israel wing of the party. Has the things that having a Nazi tattoo did not make it. It actually probably enhanced someone like grand plattin it took it took the most serious of charges about rape to get Platinum out of that main Senate race. So the kind of things that normally were advantages in primaries, getting the governor's endorsement, having you know, leadership, the mainstream leadership with the party being behind you, having the financial advantage in terms of outside groups spending more money on your behalf. Usually those are the things that win nominations, win elections. Frankly, it's actually having the opposite effect where this anti you know, you can call it anti establishment, but it's a pretty radical faction of the Democratic Party is gaining steam. And it's not just in deep blue districts, it's in a whole state, like Michigan and also in Missouri. You know the districts in upcoming primaries in Missouri as well. So this is a national Wisconsin. But the Democrats are both the nominate an out and out socialist who wants to basically defund the police in the state of Wisconsin, a perennial swing state. So this is you know, I think you're the polling suggests that el Sayed has the late advantage. It was a pull about out by Emerson showing him with a double digit lead over Stevens even after Gretchen Whitmer endorsed Stevens. So the energy is with the far left, and I expect that pattern to continue until they actually get you know, until they lose general elections, until this ideology shows it can't win to get actually elected against the Republican in November.
Speaker 1: Now, flying again will be their Senate nominee, right, and she'll be up against Tom Wyler or Michelle Tafoya, either of them going to make a great general election candidate. But it's Flannagan is the crazy what lieutenant governor?
Speaker 10: Yeah, well, so Flannagan is going up against Anngie Craig. She's the swing district congresswoman from the suburbs of Minnesota. Of Minneapolis, again, Anngie Craig would have been this battle tested Democrat who would have been favored in any other election cycle. But the very left wing Lieutenant Governor Peggy Flanagan probably is the is the favorite. The poll suggests she's got the edge in that primary. You know, Michelle Tavoy Dafoya would be I think a pretty formidable Republican nominee. The Republicans need to figure out who their candidate is in Minnesota is a blue or state that Michigan and Wisconsin and a few of these other battlegrounds. But you know, that's the same dynamic in the Democratic Party in Minnesota that you're seeing everywhere else where. The furthest left candidate is the one that has the momentum. You know, Hugh I talked to a Democratic strategist involved in a lot of these races. They said that like, if you get the Bernie endorsement, if you've got the Bernie endorsement like four years ago, that might be five percent of the vote in a Democratic primary, maybe ten percent in a deeper blue district. If you get the far left, the Bernie Bros. On the same side, it's about a third now of the Democratic electorate in any primary almost across the country, and that's just a huge number. That just shows how the growing influence of the far left in Democratic Party politics.
Speaker 1: Okay, quick ex good question, josh I Blankman is the Republican nominee for governor of New York. Do you think some New York dams who are normy will vote for him as a check on Mom Donnie, who's basically waging war on private property now, as well as the Jews.
Speaker 10: So it's interesting because in twenty twenty two, which was a surprisingly good year for Democrats in the midterms, New York was the exception to that rule because of fears of crime, law and order issues with the Democratic Party and immigration, and Nassau County went red and a lot of the Long Island suburbs, some of the other suburbs across the state actually swung very much to the right. Now, look, I don't think it's going to be an easy election for New York Republicans just given where the national environment is. But if there's an issue, sorry, if there's a state where Republicans kind of out kick the coverage it would be in New York where you can run against Mambani outside the city. And I think there are a lot of voters that are moderate, that are suburbanites, Jewish voters certainly, that have real worries and fears about the direction of the Democratic Party.
Speaker 1: Boy, if you've got a piece of property in the city of New York, you really don't want mom. Donnie on checked and Kathy Hochel is a blank mark. Josh Crossower always good to talk to you. Follow Josh on exit, Josh cross Houer, follow me the next segment next hour as well. America's stay tuned to the QQS show. My friends, you've probably seen the headlines are worse. Your latest bill, meg Wireless is raising rates again. That means you could be paying more for the same service or getting pushed into a price here plan you simply do not need. That's not right. You can switch to Consumer sluler right now and shaving additional fifty dollars when you go to Consumer sailor dot com slash hue and use the promo code Hugh fifty. And if you happen to be over the age of fifty, listen to this. You can get a single line with unlimited talk, text and data for just thirty five dollars a month. Remember their numbers eight hundred four to one, one forty four to fifty four, eight hundred four to one, one forty four to fifty four, eight hundred four to one, one forty four to fifty four. Consumer Cellular ranks number one for network coverage and for customer satisfaction according to ACSI. And when you switch, you'll talk to an actual human being base right here in the United States. No long term contracts, no hidden fees. You can keep your phone or choose a new one. Get an additional fifty dollars off when you switch today using promo code HU fifty, and do not forget. If you are over fifty. You get a single line, unlimited talk, text and data for thirty five dollars a month. Visit Consumer Cellular dot com slash hue and use promo code Hugh fifty, or call one eight hundred and four one forty four to fifty four and use promo code Hugh fifty.
Speaker 11: What happens when citizens begin to fear the very agencies created to protect them. This weekend, the America two to fifty Film Series presents police State. Dinesh Desuza examines intelligence, law enforcement, and the warning signs of government power. Turned Inward Launch Saturday and Sunday at seven pm Eastern on Salem News Channel.
Speaker 1: America. I'm you, Hewett. Jim Garrity's music is up. That means the indispensable Garrity is here. Washington Post columnust, host of the Three Martini Lunch, frequent contributor to the Editor's podcast, and of course the morning joke comes from Jim every morning. If you've signed up at National Review, Garrity, I heard you talking about the fact that you had one of your boys off at camp. Has that blissful piece.
Speaker 8: Ended one more day? A younger one comes back tomorrow, and my older one is working at a DC area college doing kind of a summer camp sort of thing teaching kids. So it's been a buch quieter than usual one. By the way, Hugh, before we jump in, I just want to point out I'm not always on your program nine times out of ten. It's just because I've completely forgotten, and poor Dwayne is calling me in a panic today. I am coming to you via my cell phone because Virginia Governor Abigail Spenberger has found a brilliant way to keep down Virginian's electric bills. If you don't get any electricity, they can't charge you. And so I'm dealing with the power outage coming through my cell phone. I hope your viewers and listeners can tolerate all this.
Speaker 1: You know, I'm a little bit alarmed because you're pretty close to the Pentagon, not that far from the Central Intelligence Agency. It's a Marine Corps Parcks headquarters is there. They are kind of a lot of things we need to work in northern Virginia.
Speaker 8: I'd like to think they have their own generators that they're doing fine, but you know, I can't. It's not like I can check on the internet to see if they do.
Speaker 1: I've just I just it's California has become I joked about Virginia becoming California, and I ran away from California. But Virginia really is becoming California. Rolling blackouts a way of life. It's a feature, not a bug. Uh. I just had leader thud on Jim Garritty, and I want to review some numbers for you. Number of judges confirmed in the second Trump administration at this point fifty two in the first Trump administration at this point forty two number of nomination total civilian nominees total in the second Trump term five hundred and ninety in the first Trump term five hundred and thirty. I think Fune has done a great job as leader because he changed the rule on nomination. But I also talked with him, I don't want to change the filibuster rule, and I've told the President that on this show, and he mad at me about that. But that's okay, It's what conservatives should support. What do you think about the filibuster.
Speaker 8: You, you and I have been doing this for a while, and we can remember when Republicans were frustrated with true lot with fairly justifiable reasons at various points. Then Bill Frist, then Mitch McConnell. It's almost a fact of life that if you are leader of Republicans of the Senate, there's going to be some chunk of your caucus and certainly a chunk of the you know what we used to call the conservative blog of sphere, now you might call it, you know, the social media sphere, that it's frustrated that they can't get everything they want and blame the majority leader now the majority leader. If the votes aren't there, the votes aren't there, they can try whipping them, they can try cajolling them, they can try bargaining and all that stuff. But in the end, you know, if you want to get more stuff passed through Republican Senate, you need more Republican senators. And I think I think it's assessment of the midterms pretty correct. There a couple of deal I think Collins is looking stronger against it. But it's gonna be the biggest fall of Troy since the Odyssey when we see that how Troy Jackson comes against Susan Collins. But yeah, all in all, this midterm elections traditionally go badly for the president's party. You know, there are a bunch of states that are just not great, not easy, and we'll see how things shake out from here. But you know, he's doing the best. He's doing the best with the cards that he's been dealt, which were not great in the first place.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I was on Fox earlier to talk about the DSA and out radical they are, and the leader Thoon made the point that the Democrats have kind of collectively lost their minds at the national level because of the DSA. Do you think the average American understand they're Marxists. They don't believe in private property. They want the house you're in, they want the house I in. They want every apartment to be owned collectively. They won't call themselves communists, but they are. Do you think people get that?
Speaker 8: I think your audience gets it, my readers get it, the right of center world gets it. I think the average independent probably doesn't. And so the topic today's Morning joelt today, Hugh, was this interesting. I actually saw it in vox Don't Don't Faint. There's actually an interesting argument in Vox arguing that it wasn't really that the social have risen, it's that the establishment or centrist Democrats have collapsed. And it's not just the DSA candidates. They're winning mostly deep blue house districts. We'll see how things go in Wisconsin, We'll see how things go in Michigan. But also this is interest like Michael Bennett, the Colorado Senator who's like been in third terms, and as I described him, he looks like the kind of guy who you'd cast to play a Colorado senator lost the governor's race to the state attorney general. So I think part of it is that, like, if you're a Democratic member of the grassroots, over the last ten years, you've been told Hillary wants Donald Trump ca still be the easiest to beat back in twenty sixteen, don't worry, Joe Biden is fine, and that Joe Biden's gonna definitely be good for another four years. And obviously the debate did that, we don't have time for a primary. We're gonna we're gonna go with Kamala Harris and don't worry, she's gonna be fine. When Tim Walls was picked as the running mate, we end up with, Oh, don't worry. Tim Walls is an inspired choice. He'll do terrific. And then you know Tim Walls. At every step the Democratic establishment has said to the base, don't worry, We've got this handled, trust us, and it hasn't worked out. And so I think if you're a typical Democratic voter, you're fed up with the Democratic leadership you have right now. You're fed up with the establishment because these guys were supposed to be the ones who knew what they were talking about compared to these crazy idealists who are in the DSA. And now it's like well, if we're gonna if neither one of them knows what they're doing, we might as well go with the ones who are inspiring and revolutionary and all that nonsense.
Speaker 1: Well, after the break, I'm going to ask you about Iran, but I want to read to you the dsay's Housing Justice Committee statement capitalism requires the private ownership of land upon which the very possibility of surplus value extraction is based. A definition of social housing must challenge this fundamental relation of the capitalist mode of production. Social housing does not offer an equal seat at the table to developers, investors or city councilors. Social housing prioritize it and makes real the collective will of the tenants. All right, Jim, what's that mean to you?
Speaker 8: We don't want to pay rent? Remember that guy in the government's race. Yes, if the rent is too darn high on cleaning up a little bit. Uh, That's that's basically I don't we don't want to pay rent, you know, Daniel landlords for you know, building the buildings and all that. But my suspicion is is that democrats have be built in advantage in that when you accurately describe what the left flank of their party genuinely believes. The average voter just says, oh, come on, nobody, they don't believe, They don't really believe that, they don't really want to abolish the police, And then they write off ed saying, yes, we literally want to abolish the police, but nobody seems to believe them. That's not an advantage of being so far in the extreme that nobody believes you actually believe what you claim to believe.
Speaker 1: Well, if you're an investor, would you build or buy an apartment building in New York right now? New York City?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 8: If I were in New York City, the only thing I would be building is a Nick's merchandise kiosk. I would not be building, Like I don't know what mom, Donnie is going to be like for the next you know, two and a half years that he has in his term, or I guess its closer to three years, but it's not gonna be good. There's a whole bunch of cities. Or you could build apartments where you're not gonna have to deal with a you know, with the threat of an eminent communist revolution and nationalizing all of your resources. So yeah, like, why would you baba doing that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Yeah, I'll be right back with Jim Garretty. Don't go Anywhere, America. But I think a lot of New York City Democrats are going to vote for mister Blakeman against Kathy Okl, the Democrat incumbent, in order to have a check on Mom Donnie, because he's proven to be every bit as crazy as we warned you he was. Don't go Anywhere America, Jim Garritty indispensable. Follow him on exit, Jim Garretty, Liken subscribe to the three Martini Lunch. Jim has not been to one of those yet today because he can't get the power going in his wonderful house, and I hope his cell phone hangs on until I come back and ask him about Iran and where he sees it going next. Don't go anywhere. I'm huge to it. Welcome back, America. I'm you here at Jim Garritty is still with me from National Review. Jim, yesterday, your colleague from National Review, Noah C. Rothman, was on with me and we agreed on what we helped the president dead, which is bombing the living daylight thought of Iran last night, which he did, and then we want him to go on as Admiral Cooper's plan said for two weeks of massive infrastructure destruction belonging to the IRGC. I don't think he's gonna do that. What do you think the situation is?
Speaker 8: No, And you know how I right now at my house, if I try to flick the light switch, nothing happens. The president has two settings. The first setting is we're mad as hell. You have repeatedly broken your promises. You keep firing an infrastructure in the Middle East, to keep firing and chips. We're gonna bomb the hell out of you, and we got that last night. The second one is, oh, I think we got a real opportunity for talks here. Things are looking really good. Head over there, Kushner, Head over there, Witkov and I'm sure we'll have a deal tenty second now, and the strait will be reopened. That part never works out, that part never quite comes there. So there's there's one. There's really only two options you could do. One is like, all right, we're all in. We're pushing for regime change. We're not gonna let up. We're not gonna be fooled by another up. There's no more memorandums of understanding. Or anything like that. We know who this regime is, we know they can't be trusted. The other alternative, if that strikes you as too bloody, if that strikes you as too much of a commitment, then you basically withdrawal and say all right, we were declaring victory and we're going home. But then you leave the regime in Iran with nothing but its own problems. And we all know the Uranian currency has become worthless. The infrastructure, even without additional attack on their energy infrastructure has been serially slee damaged bridges, the international airport, all that kind of stuff. Iran is in really rough shapes. And I said this at the beginning of the word, They're gonna end, the moments, will end, the war bankrupt. The only question is what comes out of that? And you know, is there a circumstance where I suspect you end up within a couple of months right back where we started, the people in the streets starving, saying they can't feed their families, saying they can't afford anything, angry again. And maybe the second time around, now we've killed a whole bunch of Iranian soldiers, maybe they had a second stroud up. The other question is are there ways to get weapons to the Iranian people? The Long Coastline, a lot of borders with the Turkey and places like that. Are there ways where the next time the Iranian people rise up against the regime, we can even the odds and give them some guns to shoot back with. Otherwise, I want to do you.
Speaker 1: Agree with me on this. We're not taking that blockade off until Rolling correspondent Jim Garrity has a camera and a flashlight and gets to go to the basement in Pickaxe Mountain. That's step number one. Nothing else. Until we get into Pickaxe Mountain and we see what's in there, we're not gonna lift the blockade. And it may not have to be Garrity, it could be the IAEA, but we gotta know because that's the last nuclear production facility that's left. And the President says, we got eyes on it from space, but we didn't have those eyes on it the way we think we had those eyes on it early on. What do you think?
Speaker 8: Well, first of all, I've been to some crazy places like Syria, and I've been to neighboring Turkey and Ukraine a bunch of times. Ironically, when the when the bombing started, my friend said, is there a way too? It's like, what are you interested in going to Iran this year? And I was like, let's see how this goes. I've been to some crazy places. I only want to go to Iran when I know the good people are running because things don't work out well for Washington Post journalists to go to Iran. But yeah, I think your excormation about Pickax Mountain is more than uh, it is more than than worth a worthwhile one. But I think just generally, we've seen through the use of drones against the straight ships and the Strait of Woormus and straights and the ships in the Persian Gulf, the oil and jenny energy infrastructure in places like Saudi Arabia and the Gulf States. Iran can threaten a lot and they can shut off the world's energy markets and just cause you a lot of problems for everybody else. And it's it's been frustrating to see a lack of co operation from allies. The president could have been a better case of reeking out to them than building support for everybody feeling like they have an interest in this. But Iran is a worldwide problem. Iran is the world's largest state sponsor of terrorism. They've bombed places as far away as Argentina. Well, yo, say why you can't say with the rest of the world, like, look, we're all for national sovereignty, but these guys' problems do not stay within their own border. They do everything possible to create problems for every one of their SONI Shia. It doesn't really matter they are, they are sorts of They are effectively a cancer on the Middle East. We can do something about this. Join us, Let's get rid of this regime. Let's allow the Iranian people to use their own leaders and to pick a different course, and we're all going to have been much better in the end. I think it was a strong case to be made for that. I'd like to see the administration try to make it to you know, both golf allies and your allies, and do you.
Speaker 1: Believe from them that that Pakistan is the people we ought to be using as an intermediar area we had thirty seconds. I just would never trust Pakistan I had done anything.
Speaker 8: It's been Laden's home address, right, Like, no, no, of course not there was you know, Yeah, I'm baffled by this, and I just kind of this feeling, you know. So last year had a chance to take to India and the Indians are just absolutely baffled by the fact that the Trump administration is so friendly to Pakistan. Obviously, India has its own axes to grind against Pakistan for a bunch of good reasons. But in the end, look me the way the US relationship with the India we've had some complications, and the US relationship with Pakistan, I know which thought I'm instinctively more more close.
Speaker 1: To Jim Garretty. Always good to catch up with you, especially when the power is on in Virginia. We can work it this way, but I prefer the power was on. Follow Jim on exit, Jim Garretty, and Jim, if you get a DM from me, don't answer it. I've been hacked. Stay tuned, America. I'll be right back.