Speaker 1: Life audio on today's episode of Timeless Wisdom.
Speaker 2: Today it is about a theme that cannot be stated often enough, and that is about not keeping all your happiness eggs in the same basket.
Speaker 1: That's coming off on Timeless Wisdom with Dennis Prager. Welcome to Timeless Wisdom with Dennis Prager. Here thousands of hours of Dennis's lectures, courses, and classic radio programs, and to purchase Dennis Prager's Rational Bibles, go to Dennisprager dot com.
Speaker 2: It's the Happiness Hour on the Dennis Prager Show every week at this time, come hell, high water, a bunch of deficits, you name it. Yes, like those lyrics, folks, All right, everybody, America and the world, here we go.
Speaker 3: It's the happy, happy, happy, happy hour. Yes it is. It's the happy, happy, happy alrighty, my friends.
Speaker 2: Happiness makes the world better. Yes, indeed, happy people make the world better, and the world has made worse by the unhappy. I'm sorry, my friends. That's the way it is. Everybody has a tough life. That's the way it is, too. Some have it tougher than others, admittedly, but there's little relationship between tough life and happiness. Some with quite a tough life walk around with far greater cheer than those with an easier life. And that is our moral obligation to walk around at least acting happy and trying to be it. It is not a bowl of cherries.
Speaker 3: Wow? Is that an original thought? Oh wow? Where did I come up with that? Life is not a bawl of cherries?
Speaker 2: Okay, all right, everybody, welcome to the Dennis Prager Show, the Happiness Hour. Come Hella high Water and there's a lot of the former going on. We talk about happiness, that's right. Happy people make the world better. Happy people make everything better. A happy producer makes a better show, A happy engineer makes a better show. A happy intern makes a better show. Just to give things off the top of my head, yeah, I can't repeat it.
Speaker 3: It was what it was?
Speaker 2: A gem? All right, I have to repeat it, right, Sean oh Roy, stop laughing. He hired you. Are you sure about the happy producer thing? That's what cracked us all up. Let me say a word about Alan. Okay, Alan is happy. His temperament is, however, a sedated one. Not sedated. That's not a good word. That sounds like it's a calm. It's a non volatile phlegmatic.
Speaker 3: That is the word.
Speaker 2: But most people will just think you have a bad cold if I say flegmatic. That's all, and of which I deeply appreciate, and it is in contradistinction to mine. We are a great team.
Speaker 3: Alan that I back you up, all right, good good.
Speaker 2: I will do a Honey update just just to make I'm not kidding though, folks, this show, I'm dead serious, just to give you an idea of the importance of happiness.
Speaker 3: This show is.
Speaker 2: Improved by having happy people work on it. I'm not kidding. I am not kidding. Everything is improved in life, family life, marital life, business life, friendship life, and the world's life. The unhappy became communists, the unhappy became Nazis. The unhappy blow themselves up along with people around them. Happy people don't do these things. Happy people who have a love of life. I mean, after all, love of life is part of happiness, right. I mean to say I'm happy, but I love Death is what we call an oxymoron. If happiness is to mean anything, loving death can't be part of it.
Speaker 3: All right, That's all.
Speaker 2: By way of preamble, Welcome to the show. Every Friday second hour of the program. It is a three hour show, the Dennis Prager Show, and we measure it accordingly. And so the second hour Fridays is devoted to happiness today. It is about a theme that cannot be stated often enough, and that is about not keeping all your happiness eggs in the same basket like that. Sean, it's a good one. No, folks, I want to say this. I know I've said it in different ways, and I know that it so I'm going to say and yet more different ways, give more examples, take your calls, because if you follow this, you have a much much better chance for happiness. You can't put all your happiness eggs in one basket, because what if the basket breaks and the eggs shatter. That's why, and to a certain extent, it is almost inevitable that that what basket is eternal. Now, don't tell me, you know God. Of course I know God is eternal, and that's not my point. And by the way, I would not want you to put all your eggs in the God basket, to be perfectly honest, nor does God. It was a Christian pastor who made this point that I am in love with, said God announced at the outset of creation that he himself, he God himself, is not enough when he said it is not good for Adam for man to be alone.
Speaker 3: But Adam wasn't alone. He had God. And yet God says.
Speaker 2: Even I am not sufficient. You need a companion in human form. You need a human companion, oh man. So even God is not sufficient. God is necessary, but not sufficient. And so putting your eggs in anyone basket is not a good idea, by the way, It's not a good idea for anybody, because you know there are parents who put all their happiness eggs in the child basket. You think that's good for your child. I am the child, thank God of two healthy parents. My parents are still alive together, they're well, vibrant. I am happy that I am not the basket of their happiness. Do I bring them some happiness? Of course I do. I'm a wonderful son, Okay, of course. I mean if I didn't know that, I would be out of my mind. Of course I know I intend to be. My brother's a wonderful So they have two kids, all right, that's fine. In fact, just just this week on my call, my call home, and my father who always philosophizes on the phone, gave Dennis, I want you to know my mother on the other line, and my wife was listening in two and he was and he was saying, Dennis, I just want you to know.
Speaker 3: How did he put it?
Speaker 2: He said, Uh, I get you know, I get happiness from a lot of things. But your mother is my biggest, single source of happiness. Not my children, not my grandchildren, not my great grandchildren. And he adores being with them, and they adore being with him. And I wanted to hear that. Not only was I not insulted, I was relieved. I don't want to hear you are my greatest source of happiness. And I don't want my.
Speaker 3: Children to think that that's what I think of them.
Speaker 2: I want them to be happy and that brings me a lot of joy, but I don't rely on them to be happy. The more things you do, reading, reading, reading should bring you happiness. There's just another there's a see as an example. That should be music, reading, traveling, hobbies, friends, glee club, coin club. That is that motion you're making exercise that that is that is adorable. He's really on today, Sean. I gotta tell you we gotta we gotta should have a video.
Speaker 3: In there with the guy.
Speaker 2: Uh Sean is on the robust side and watching him do these exercises, it gives one do you do exercise regularly? I didn't think so, okay, fine, all right, I just I wanted to give you the benefit of the doubt. Oh it's very rare that I wish we were on TV. But this is one of those moments. What ain't prager seven seven six? What ap p R A g e R seven seven six. Yes, that's right, it all. Yes, exercise sports. I mean it's endless. It is endless. That's the point that that's why there are a handful of things that drive me nuts when a kid says like I am bored. Of course, my kids stopped saying that to me because they know they get no sympathy. And what I say is, no, you're not bored, you're boring. That has always been my answer to a kid saying that. And if you meet an adult saying that, that's really tragic. I mean, you know, it's far more likely that you meet a kid, But if you met an adult set on board you're bored with all the options in this society for you know, I understand if people who work the land one hundred, two hundred, three hundred years ago, and they'd get up at sunrise and do the same thing they did the last twelve years at sunrise and go to bed at sunset and do the same exact thing all day till sunset, and if they were bored on the next day of you know, planting corn, I understand. But in our society, with the options that we have for anything, I mean, what you can do with a camera, you don't even have to buy film anymore. Making pictures is now free. That's right, it is now free. You don't even have to buy film. There is no overhead. I mean, it's like a miracle. There was no overhead to making ten thousand photographs. One A Praguer seven seven six that the Happiness Hour.
Speaker 1: This episode of Timeless Wisdom will continue right after this. Now back to more of Dennis Prager's Timeless Wisdom.
Speaker 2: Hi, everybody, you're listening to the Dennis Praguer Show, The Happiness Hour, And truly, one of the most significant of all issues in happiness is not putting all your eggs in one basket, meaning not depending on one thing for all your happiness. The most common I believe the most common failure.
Speaker 3: In that is in children. It is it is wrong for so many.
Speaker 2: Reasons that that's probably worth its own show. We got to put that down. Notice, folks, I no longer say write that down, Allen. Did you see it's now the royal We we should write that down, Allen. But since I won't, it leaves them.
Speaker 3: Anyway.
Speaker 2: The reason not to do it just on children is that it's unfair to your child and unfair to you. By the way, it's unfair to you. But it's not what children are. That's not what children are for you have children, and that's a very good subject our an ultimate issues hour.
Speaker 3: Why have children?
Speaker 2: That's big and it really needs to be answered today because people have options. Obviously, they have birth control. That's the first area that makes it possible. Secondly, they have options for a life without children. You don't depend on your children in your old age. You depend on social security and your own savings and so on. All right, let's uh, let's take some of your calls here and uh, let's see, let's take Oh boy, there are so many good ones. Yeah, let's go to Marie in San Diego, Hi, Marie.
Speaker 4: Dennis Price, good morning to you.
Speaker 5: I wanted to tell you. I'm a single parent of two kids, business owners and you have helped me go through two disappointments. Uh business is low. I lost money a divorce, and you are making me. You are shaping me into a better woman. And I work out every morning for two hours and I listened to you on my iPod in music and that brings you the greatest joy. I think the future amount of my life is going to send you flowers because every woman man hour, I am becoming a better woman.
Speaker 3: I am speechless.
Speaker 2: I am speechless at how beautiful a statement you just made. I would love your future husband to send me a thank you note.
Speaker 3: It would mean the world to me. Frankly, that's great.
Speaker 2: That's why I do the Happiness Hour. And I was saying to Alan during the break that it was always important and always popular. It's well over ten years. I never remember when we started, and I believe, of course, given the times we live in, it is more important than ever. I feel that way about the three dedicated hours that I do, the Male Female Hour, the Ultimate Issues Hour, and the Happiness Hour that more and more it will draw people and be meaningful to people because you can get very very Your mind can get very distorted in its thinking. When things are really good materially, you can lose sight of what really matters. Then, when the material world starts to collapse, what really matters becomes clearer. One eighth Praguer seven seven six. Where is the guy? There was a fellow in upper at Darby, Pennsylvania. There was a call that God was sufficient. I was going to take you, sir. I think it was a sir. Try to get in if you can. Uh, let's go to the Bronx, New York. Bronx, New York on the Apple AM nine seventy. Hello Charlie, Dennis Prager.
Speaker 6: Hello Dennis. Before I start speaking, let's wouldn't say quickly if you're a pleasure to listen to.
Speaker 7: Hi.
Speaker 3: Thank you.
Speaker 6: More easier on the years than our other conservative station here in New York.
Speaker 2: Way more easy on the years than whatervatives. Oh that other conservative station. Okay, this is a one. The Apple's a great station. I'm very proud of my colleagues. Go ahead.
Speaker 6: I agreed with you when you were talking about reading. It's one of my many hobbies and the number of books that I've read. When I get into a good book, you practically can't find me. So I just want to agree with you on the points. Thank you for bringing it up.
Speaker 2: Well, you're very welcome. I know that to be true for me and for those who love reading even more than a movie. And a movie certainly grabs your attention. But a movie, you know, no movie could grab your attention for six hours, let alone for six days. A book transports you. I have been reading this book on maw. I mean, I have so many other things that I've taken a break for the last week because I've been so busy since the return from Africa. But the h I have been I feel I have been living in early twentieth century China with this book one eight Prager seven seven six. Do you have any questions on this subject of not putting all your eggs in one basket?
Speaker 3: I do, have you? Or here's an alternative thing for you to comment on.
Speaker 2: Have you done this? Did you do it with children? Did you do which? I'll tell you where the most logical area is. The most logical area.
Speaker 3: Is in marriage.
Speaker 2: If you have a good marriage, and I would say about a quarter of marriages are that good? Maybe not even a quarter. I wish it was one hundred percent. Obviously, I have no joy in saying this, but it's it's it's it's a minority. But if you do have such a marriage, it is the greatest. I think it's the greatest, single source of joy. But even there, for the sake of your companion, you.
Speaker 3: Don't want them.
Speaker 2: You don't want to be the only source of joy because it narrows you.
Speaker 3: You because you.
Speaker 2: Are less alive, and certainly not children, and and certainly not work. And by the way, I if there's any if there are people who enjoy their work more than I do, I'd like to meet them. I'm not saying that they're is no one who enjoys their work as much as I do, but I would be hard for me to imagine somebody who enjoys it more. A. I love it. B It is meaningful. I mean everything about it is wonderful. And you and I communicate that. I think you know that I couldn't fake this every day for twenty six years.
Speaker 3: It's a lot of faking.
Speaker 2: Or maybe I did fake it and I followed the twelve step program.
Speaker 3: Fake it and then you'll make it or whatever. It is fake it and you'll make it now.
Speaker 7: No.
Speaker 2: I love this, but but it would be bad for you. If this were my only source of happiness, you would have a less well rounded, less healthy Dennis Prager. All right, let's go to a honey in Phoenix, Arizona.
Speaker 3: High. Honey, Dennis Prager, Honey.
Speaker 4: Hi, it's Connie.
Speaker 2: It's Connie. Yeah, who's screening today? They're dead? Oh, Joseph.
Speaker 4: Yes, well, when you're a chastisement room. Yes, when you talked about putting your eggs and more than one basket, it just really hit me hard because I had all my eggs in one basket and that was to my husband, and I was just devastated when he announced, after forty six years of marriage that he no longer loved me.
Speaker 3: Oh my god.
Speaker 2: Come all right, all right, I'm keeping I'm keeping you on. I want to hear how you handle it. That that that's that's terrible. That is back in a moment.
Speaker 1: This episode of timeless Wisdom will continue right after this. Now back to more of Dennis Prager's timeless wisdom.
Speaker 8: It's so important to make someone happy, make just one someone happy, make just one hat to halt you, you.
Speaker 9: Sing too, one, smile, the cheers you facetof lights when it needs you.
Speaker 10: One girl, your your everything.
Speaker 5: To face.
Speaker 10: If you win it toungs and golds in a minute. Where's the real stuff in life to cling too? Love is the answer for someone to love?
Speaker 2: Alrighty, my friends, thank you Jimmy Duranty if you found you.
Speaker 1: Know.
Speaker 2: It's funny people say rest in peace. I'm thinking, I don't want Jimmy Duranty to be resting in peace. I wanted to be singing in the celestial places right now and bringing his an inimitable joy to others. I don't want it to be resting. It's a funny state, but actually rest in peace. I wonder how many well, actually, wait a minute, well, I see, I wonder how many cultures say that about about the dead. You know, it's an interesting question about what phrase would be used. I know when hebrew One says peace unto him, and Arabs say that as well. So it's I guess it's I guess that's I guess what's what people want? I want peace. That's another subject for the happiness, our peace of mind. Parenthetically, talking about peace of mind, one A prager seven seven six. By the way, one eight p R A G E R seven seven six talking about peace of mind.
Speaker 3: I think I think we.
Speaker 2: Did a male female hour on suggestions that I had to men on how to stay faithful. Remember, because it's a battle for any normal man. And guys write to me. I know they were saying, I don't know what you're talking about. I've never tempted. I I you guys are remarkable out there. Every man that I know has been tempted. I I those of you who write to me that you've never been tempted? Are you know our phenomena? I mean, I'm not saying you're lying. I just it's it's I just I've never met a man that I knew well for whom that was a true. So since it's the vast majority of men are one thing to just know is if you value a peace of mind, an affair is as destructive as you can get it. It's anyway, that's just one of the practical forgetting the moral arguments one of the practical arguments against it. Just think of the world of lies that you have to live and create. Alrighty, this the topic today on the Happiness Hours. Don't put your all your eggs in one basket. Whatever the basket is, it could it could be. Depends on different ages of your life. It's different things. So for example, for many people, especially I think more women than men, but including men, especially traditional cultures. My children are my whole happiness. It's not fair to your child. As I said, I don't want to be my parents whole happiness. I don't want them to live for me. It becomes less enjoyable to be in their presence. In fact, if that's the case, children don't want it. It's not good. That doesn't mean that children can't be a source of happiness and certainly unhappiness. Of course they should be, absolutely, and so whatever it is, kids have a different thing. Obviously they don't live kids, you know, they live. They might their big thing might be popular in school. If I'm not popular in school, then I have no happiness. Anybody, any kid who believes that should read Michael Michael Medven's book, his first book, I think it was, or one of his first books, Whatever Happened to the Class of sixty five? Read What happened to the most popular kids high school later in life, the top cheerleader, the quarterback, the this the that the ones who were the most popular with it's right downhill.
Speaker 3: That's exactly right.
Speaker 2: I was blessed, blessed, blessed, blessed, blessed with a non desire for popularity. So I had other things, And I told my kids, find one or two wonderful kids to be close.
Speaker 3: With, and you will have a happier youth.
Speaker 2: Wanting to be popular, then you end up like Bill Clinton, who I think is one of the least happy people in public life. Alrighty, we go to back to Connie in a Phoenix. Connie, all right, poor Connie, Connie, hold on again, feel bad. I'm laughing at myself, Connie. I'm not laughing at you, God forbid. Connie called in and she had put all her eggs in the husband basket. And by the oh way, if you if a woman says I want to live to be a wonderful wife, that's beautiful. That's that's different from putting all your happiness eggs. Okay, I think it's a beautiful thing for a woman to aspire to to make the man the most important thing in her life.
Speaker 3: That's a dream.
Speaker 2: But that's a separate issue as to put all your happiness eggs in one basket back in a moment.
Speaker 1: Are you enjoying timeless wisdom? We'd love to hear from you. Call eight seven seven two four three seventy seven seventy six and leave a review, share your thoughts, or just even an encouraging word for Dennis. Your voicemail might just make it on the show. That's eight seven seven two four three seventy seven seventy six. That's eight seven seven two four three triple seven six.
Speaker 11: Thanks for listening and for your support.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is truly happy music. Hi everybody. Finally I'm going to get back to Connie.
Speaker 3: Here. This is the Happiness Hour.
Speaker 2: The theme is do not put all your happiness eggs in one basket. The more baskets you have, the more things that bring you joy and happiness, the better. The biggest danger generally has been traditionally putting all your eggs in the children basket. Kids, put it in the popularity basket. Just to give you an example. And now we go to Connie back to.
Speaker 3: You in Phoenix.
Speaker 2: Now, let me understand this because this is a it's very painful but important that you called Connie and I thank you. Married forty six years and then one day you and you put all your happiness in the in the marital basket. I'm summarizing correctly. Yes, and then forty six years your husband announced I no longer love you and divorces.
Speaker 4: No, he didn't divorce me. We're still together.
Speaker 3: Oh oh okay, I'm sorry.
Speaker 4: Oh all right, I mean reship.
Speaker 2: Well wait, wait, why why would he why would he say that?
Speaker 4: I have no clue. I think that's there's something wrong with the guy. I really do. Anyway, I went to counseling, and the guy, the counselor told me I need to concentrate on making myself happy in other ways.
Speaker 3: That's right.
Speaker 4: So I went and I started to do a flower arranging class. I play maj on with the women, and I just finished a Bible study class that was just for six weeks. And I mean I'm doing things. I had ladies over for lunch the other day. I'm doing things like that. Well, of course, I do think. We have four beautiful daughters, my husband and I and eight grandchildren. So you know, I don me.
Speaker 2: It sounds like you have more things bringing you joy in your life than most people do.
Speaker 4: I just have to wait for my husband to clear his mind or I don't know. I don't know what's going on with him.
Speaker 2: I'm curious. If I would say to him, and I don't need to know his name, I'll just call him Joe. If I say Joe, I'd have two questions. Joe, why, why after forty six years did you say this to Connie? Why would he answer?
Speaker 4: I don't know? Do you know? I should ask him that, but I'm okay.
Speaker 2: Well, I would ask one other question. I would ask him one other question. If you feel that way, why do you want to stay together? Mm hmm, I would ask him that.
Speaker 4: Well, I think the first question is more important than why he would say that to me?
Speaker 6: Why?
Speaker 4: White? What makes him feel that way after all these years?
Speaker 3: Well? How old is he? Is he older than you?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 3: How much? How old is he?
Speaker 4: Five years older than me? Yeah?
Speaker 3: All right, Well he's not old.
Speaker 4: We're still together. I still do things for him. My I mean, I cleaned the house, cooking, just like I always did before.
Speaker 3: But is he is?
Speaker 4: He?
Speaker 3: Is he less loving?
Speaker 4: H cold as a cucumber?
Speaker 8: Well?
Speaker 3: Why don't you divorce?
Speaker 4: No? I made him, I made I made him, I made a I made a covenant with my husband, and what was the covenant was with God at the beginning, that she is my beloved forever.
Speaker 2: Okay, all right, Look, I'll ever argue with that, and I respect you tremendously, but the gist of your call is critical. When she did the best thing you could, the basket broke and so she developed other baskets. Anyway, she's very blessed if she has four wonderful daughters. I mean to go four for four on your kids. That's a big deal. That's a big deal. What happened to the guy?
Speaker 3: You know?
Speaker 2: I tell you these guys. The guy had a call on He objected. I don't know. It's not to imagine he was serious. Joe said he was serious, all right, that he did not like the fact that I said that people who blow themselves up are not happy. I said that Nazis were not happy, Communists were not happy, and people who blow themselves up are not happy. Well, if people who blow themselves up are happy, then don't listen to my happiness hour, because my definition of happiness include loving life. Okay, if you look forward to death, you're not happy. All right, That's that's it. Okay, let's go too, all right, that's true. That's true. That's true. And then let's go to Beaumont, California and Vince. Hello, Vince, Dennis Prager.
Speaker 7: Hi, Dennis, thank you so much for all your wisdom. I love your show.
Speaker 3: Thank you for that.
Speaker 7: I got married fifty one years ago at eighteen.
Speaker 2: Right, hold on, you are one minute, you are fifty two fifty three.
Speaker 3: Do you know that? I know people who will do that. Really, yeah, they will use their fingers. Go ahead, yeah, okay.
Speaker 7: About ten years after we married, my wife was diagnosed with schizophrenia.
Speaker 3: And wait, wait, I'm sorry. How many years after marriage?
Speaker 6: About ten?
Speaker 3: Okay, go on.
Speaker 7: Obviously she had it before that, but we didn't know it. I spent the next forty years trying to make her happy. Put all my eggs in that basket, and it didn't work. I was ready to die. I was getting sick. I really was a miserable person. But I was constantly trying to make her happy.
Speaker 3: Was one of the attempts. Medication.
Speaker 7: Oh, she's on all the medicals.
Speaker 3: Okay, go on, all right, go on, go on, all right, go on.
Speaker 7: Yeah, yeah, it just that stuff doesn't work.
Speaker 2: Okay, well it does, it does? It didn't work. With her, but quickly go on. So what happened?
Speaker 6: It helps?
Speaker 7: Okay, About a year and a half ago she announced that she was leaving me because she was fearful of that I was poisoning her toothpaste and things like that, and there was nothing legally I could do about it, and so she walked out, left me. And I can't tell you. At first it was so devastating. And then I decided, and hopefully I can say, with partly duty to listening to your program for so many years, I decided to be happy.
Speaker 2: That's it. That's it, that's it. It's a powerful call. By the way, you know, everything that he mentioned I have talked about on the Happiness Hour. First A, you can't make somebody else happy. We can only make ourselves happy. You can make somebody else unhappy, but you cannot make somebody else happy. The biggest reason that the happy often marry the unhappy is the belief that they can make the unhappy happy. It is a very common desire. The happy are usually better people because they're happy there, and because they're better.
Speaker 3: To begin with.
Speaker 2: Sometimes sometimes and so they want to save and rescue the unhappy. Right, Well, I think we have this man about the terrorist issue coming up.
Speaker 1: This episode of Timeless Wisdom will continue right after this. Now back to more of Dennis Prager's Timeless.
Speaker 2: Wisdom, Happiness Hour, Dennis Prager's show and go to Dallas, Texas and Amana wants to be Anonymous.
Speaker 3: Hello Anonymous Dennis Prager.
Speaker 12: How you're doing, sir? Thanks for taking my call.
Speaker 3: Thank you for calling back. I particularly wanted your call.
Speaker 6: Okay.
Speaker 12: I listened to your show a lot. You talk about happiness a lot, and I just didn't like the fact you put the contest of terrorism and happiness in the same sentence.
Speaker 3: Well, actually terrorism and unhappiness. But yeah, go on, I mean, I.
Speaker 12: Mean, first of all, I'm not for any of that. God bless America and it's the greatest country in the world, and that's why I'm here. But terrorist has no home to say, they have no life. The person has no life, least of us concerned is happening, don't you think, Yeah.
Speaker 2: Whether they have a life or not. First of all, I don't buy that the nineteen who attacked the United States had terrific lives. They were all upper middle class people from Arab countries, mostly Saudi Arabia, they were on student or work visas in the United States. They had a terrific life. They traveled around the world. They had a better life than the vast majority of people. They were profoundly unhappy, bitter, angry, and evil, and they were so Uh. This notion that they don't have a life is propaganda? Did would you say that about Nazis and communists? They didn't have a life?
Speaker 12: See you twisted again?
Speaker 2: Did?
Speaker 3: Why did I twist? I compare the three people?
Speaker 1: Okay, to you?
Speaker 12: Happiness could be a ball of ice cream to them happy It is just to see somebody in pain. Yes, but individual, isn't it?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: So another all right, so is your question? In other words, it is very possible that a statist happy when he's torturing.
Speaker 12: Is that happiness he comes individually? Certain people have different the view of happiness.
Speaker 3: I'm sure they do. And I just funny, what was the last line? I missed it? I'm sorry for you.
Speaker 12: To put that into contest. It just it was more political than anything else about your happy as well?
Speaker 2: Well, it wasn't political anymore than do you think that the whites who lynched blacks were particularly happy people.
Speaker 12: Because they think they are.
Speaker 3: I don't.
Speaker 2: Well, okay, so whether they they they may think they are, that is possible. Uh So I am offering the idea that the average person who joined the Nazis, who was in a lynch mob of a black in the southern United States, who was a communist or who is a terrorist, that these people, if we say that they are among the happier humans, then happiness is true irrelevance in life. It is truly irrelevant. And my proof is this, everyone listening, everyone knows that they want when they are when they feel happy, is when they feel they want to do the most good, not be the most cruel. Every single one of you listening knows that.
Speaker 1: On tomorrow's episode of Dennis teaches the Torah.
Speaker 2: And like I suspect every one of you have learned a lot about this. I may have learned more than some because I think I've started out more naive on the subject. The subject is the family and it's troubles. So I want to begin with the Torah. The Torah does a favor, and I mean this absolutely sincerely. I think the Torah does us a tram tremendous favor by having every one of the families in the entire Book of Genesis dysfunctional, and I mean it with I mean with utter sincerity. It is in a great service. Jews revere the patriarchs and the matriarchs Abraham, Abraham, Ytzakiako of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob and Sarah, Riskel, Rafael and Leah, Sarah, Rebecca, Rachel Leah, and they are properly revered, but not one had a family without serious problems.
Speaker 1: Join us tomorrow to hear more on Timeless Wisdom with Dennis Prager. Visit Denisprager dot com for thousands of hours of Dennis's lectureis courses in classic radio programs, and to purchase Dennis Prager's Rational Bibles. We want to take just a second to thank the team at Life Audio for their partnership with us on the podcast. Go to lifeaudio dot com to find dozens of other faith centered podcasts and their network, including shows about prayer, Bible study, parenting, and more.