Speaker 1: Life Audio.
Speaker 2: I went from being like AA's biggest fan, all in on AA, like poster boy love AA can't get enough of AA. I went from that place to the more and more I read the Bible, the more and more I sat under faithful preaching. I'm starting to have the Word of God coming alive to me, and it's so clearly saying things that are in total conflict with what I am believing and teaching other people in AA.
Speaker 1: Hello, Hello, and welcome to the Confessions of a Christian Alcoholic podcast. I am your host, John Seitel. This is your home for real story, radical vulnerability, and remarkable comebacks. In the end, this podcast is a place for the desperate, the downtrodden, the destitute, and especially the drunk. But it's also a place of hope and healing. I know that firsthand because I'm the Christian who became an alcoholic, not the other way around. Today, I've found sobriety after decades of struggling. But more importantly than finding sobriety, I've found Jesus. My prayer is that as I interview people just like you and just like me, along with professionals in the fields of trauma, faith and addiction recovery.
Speaker 3: You will find.
Speaker 1: The peace that is available to you through Christ on the other side of whatever you're going through and whatever addiction that might be, because let's face it, we're all addicted to something so welcome. Let's get radically vulnerable as we explore what it looks like to be on this journey of MESSI sanctification. We'll be right back after this. What does it profit a man to gain the whole world but lose his soul? It's a very famous scripture in the Bible, and today's guest that scripture plays prominently in his life, and you could almost alter it a little bit, not to be heretical, but applying it to addiction and his story, it sounded like this, what does it profit me to gain sobriety but lose my soul? Today's guest is Brett Smith. Brett is a good friend. I've known him for years, and he has a story of addiction that like, in one instance, it's like, it's in a sense of your classic story, right, it's I dove headlong into drinking in college, was the party guy like alcohol, tried to quit, did quit for a little bit, went right back to it. But then Brett's story is that he really dove headlong into Alcoholics Anonymous and became like the poster boy, the poster child if you will, for AA. Those are his words. And as he was doing that, as he was like you know, sponsoring and setting up and taking the message and doing all the things, he started to realize, after sitting under what he calls faithful preaching and searching the scriptures, that something was off, something was missing. And as he did all that, he realized, oh my gosh, like I have made an idol out of sobriety, Like I am worshiping sobriety. It's become this like works based religious system for me that if I just show up to an meetings, if I just do this, if I just do that, then I'm good. And he realized he was missing the true gospel. And so he's going to talk about that today. He's also going to talk about AA. He's going to talk about Alcoholics Anonymous and programs in the twelve Steps, and he's going to be honest about, you know, where those things led him. And he's even going to talk about in a sense, the false gospel that he feels like he that he embraced as a result of those for so long, and so I ask him some really important questions. He answers them with grace and compassion, And so I think this is a really important episode for a variety of reasons and for a variety of people, but especially those who either really are involved in AA and twelve step culture. I think it might give you a perspective that is important, or those who have just never felt really attracted to the AA or twelve step culture, that's me, I think it will be helpful. I'm not categorically against AA. Brett and I talk about that, we talk about the place that it can serve, but in the end, we always prefer and push, if you will, a gospel centered recovery approach, and so Brett will talk about what that means, what that looks like, and just kind of where this all fits in. And so I'm just so grateful and so thankful for his candor and his story and his boldness here real quickly, if you head over to Veritasrecovery dot org, you can see a variety of other resources that I have put together. That is the nonprofit that I have started. Would love for you to check that out. And you can also go to Christianlcoholic dot com to grab my book as well as get the the U Verse Bible app Bible study that's based on those principles. So felt further Ado Brett Smith Brett, thank you so much for joining the Confessions of a Christian Alcoholic podcast. This has been a long time coming because we actually at a little look behind the curtain. We've actually recorded a full episode, and I think both of us after and I have only re recorded I think one or two other episodes and that was because either like the file was corrupt or whatever. But you and I both after we sat with the episode for a while, we just felt like we could have said more, or we should have said something differently, or I don't know, we just both felt that way. And so this is actually our second attempt at recording it. And if people are hearing this, that means the attempt went well. And so I'm excited because you have been such a help in my life as I have approached you know, what we call gospel senate recovery. And it's not like a new term. It's not something that you know came up with, but it's an idea that's not really popular as some might think, even in the Christian community. And so we're going to talk about that. But first of all, before we get into your full on story, and you know, what I said in the intro is the concept of being saved from sobriety, which is kind of a really catchy and interesting title. Tell us a little bit about yourself.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so I'm forty one years old. I live in Louisville, Kentucky. I am a member at Third Avenue Baptist Church. I've been doing heavy civil construction estimating project management for about twenty years now. So I live in Louisville. I work remotely for a heavy civil contractor in Tuscaloosa, Alabama. And I also am involved in the Chicago Course on Preaching the Charles Simeon Trust, which is a parachurch ministry that trains men and women to preach, teach expositionally and essentially like preach the word uh exege eat it faithfully, preach it faithfully, apply it faithfully.
Speaker 3: And so yeah, that's kind of a snapshot.
Speaker 1: Yeah, single, ladies, he's single, Yeah, very single, very very single. But and I say that because because Brett and I have joked about that for years.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's all good, so.
Speaker 1: Brett. Before we get into kind of what I think are some very important thoughts and distinctions and things that set gospel recovery apart from secular recovery, why don't you tell us your story, because you have a story of alcoholism. You have a story of what it looks like to get sober but then to still be in a sense miserable or still be missing something, and that led you into gospel sin and recovery. So take us through, first of all, your story of alcoholism.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's cool too.
Speaker 2: I'm looking at the date here at the bottom right of my computer screen. So we're having this conversation right now on January twenty six, twenty twenty six, Lord Willing, this Friday, January thirtieth will be five thousand days of sobriety from alcohol for me. So my sobriety day, by the grace of God, is May twenty fourth of twenty twelve, and so again this Friday is five thousand days since then, I think a little over thirteen and a half years or.
Speaker 3: Something like that.
Speaker 2: So it's cool, just the grace of God to even be able to have this conversation. If you would have said, Hey, at some point, you'll approach five thousand days of not taking a sip of alcohol. I would have thought you were crazy because I could not imagine a day or a week without alcohol, and so yeah, kind of the flyover version.
Speaker 3: I grew up Catholic.
Speaker 2: We were at church pretty much every Sunday, and a lot of great things in our home. They're also like, outside of my dad working full time, he was a rodeo cowboy, so there was that work hard, play hard mentality, and I think from a really early age I liked that. I liked like this lifestyle of the drinking, the womanizing and so like. Even as a little kid, like eight nine, ten years old, I wanted to be able to like take SIPs off of my dad and his friend's beers. I wanted to be able to drink a wine cooler. And then, especially as I got into high school, if my dad and his friends were having people over and they were drinking, I wanted to figure out, like how could I sneak some alcohol or maybe even try to take advantage of the adults once they had been drinking to where they're just letting my friends and I drink with reckless abandon and so I would just say from a young age, I was drawn to it. I wanted to indulge in it, and in high school, for the most part, I didn't. My dad was pretty protective of us in the sense that like, couldn't go stay the night at people's houses if the parents weren't going to be there. And so a lot of my friends in high school were partying pretty consistently. For me, it was more just kind of here and there. So I ended up getting a full ride academic scholarship to Arizona State University for construction management, and I as I started at Arizona State University, just went off the deep end immediately. So, like all of the stuff that I want to do in high school, now I'm living on campus at what was one of the top party schools. I'm sure it still is, but like it was notorious back then for like ASU is where you go if you just want to go wild. And so I'm like seventeen years old, a freshman at Arizona State University living in the Quadrangles, like one of the main apartment complexes on campus, and it's known for partying, and dude, I just went wild. Like I wasn't even showing up to some of my classes, like did not care about anything. I was able to do whatever I wanted. I had a fake ID that scanned and essentially just was like a shaken bottle. Now the top has come off and it's just going wild. So really, my life from like that point seventeen, starting at Arizona State University up until twenty seven when I got sober, it was ten years of work hard, play hard, and for me, the drinking for the most part, was a weekend thing. So maybe it was thirsty Thursdays, like we'd go party on Thursday night, show up hungover to work on Friday, for sure, party Friday night, party Saturday, maybe sometimes on Sunday. But for the most part, it was just a weekend or a long weekend thing. Now I avoided so many consequences. I did get one DUI. I easily could have got dozens of duys. It's literally a miracle that I didn't hurt someone else or hurt myself drinking and driving so many times that I drove and had no recollection of driving the next day. I got multiple minoring consumptions before I had even turned twenty one. I had that fake ID taken, and I think I was threatened with legal action. So so many different things happening. What's is like, I am definitely not a Christian. Even though we had grown up going to Catholic mass, I had heard the Bible read, we prayed, I went through first Communion and some of the other sacraments. I had a belief in God, but it was definitely not the God of the Bible.
Speaker 3: It was not God for who he really is.
Speaker 2: It's definitely not who the Scripture reveals him to be and who he is revealed to be in the person and work of Jesus Christ. And so really just this vague, distorted conception of God. And I just really liked doing whatever I wanted to do, and so I ended up losing that scholarship pretty quickly. And even though I'm living this life of like unhinged rebellion, full blown sin, I mean, the drunkenness is just one part of it. There's rampant sexual immorality, strip clubs, I mean, doing anything and everything I wanted to do. Even in all of that, like I still was able to get a really good job at a construction company even though I had lost my scholarship for construction management, and by the time I would have graduated with a degree from Arizona State University's construction management program, I had already climbed the ladder pretty far in this construction company and was already way ahead of where anyone would be had they got a degree and were then trying to enter construction management. And so I say that to say, like, just God's kindness towards me, even in the midst of me living in full blown rebellion, or I.
Speaker 1: Wonder too sometimes like sometimes he just gives us over to what we want.
Speaker 2: Oh for sure, Yeah, definitely giving me over to what I want with the drinking, the sexual morality, even the money.
Speaker 3: And all of that.
Speaker 2: But to be able to keep a job and to do really well at that job, I think it's just it's like his rainfalls on the just and the unjust. I think it was just a kindness towards me that clearly I did not deserve, don't deserve anything. And so with the drinking though, it would really take center stage when I was in a relationship, so like if it's just me and all my friends we're partying, it's like we're doing the same things every weekend. I mean we literally would talk about like Saturday morning, Sunday mornings, like we're like getting away with murder, Like we are partying so hard, we're doing crazy things and we know that like we're flirting with death, we're flirting with legal consequences, We're flirting with all kinds of stuff, all kinds of disaster. When I would be in a relationship, I could usually start out like pretty disciplined and like the girls excited to be in the relationship with me. I'm excited to be in the relationship with her. At some point though, like me trying to manage the drinking, maintain composure, and really when I'm like drunk, not be a fool, not say hurtful things, not flirt with other girls or do stupid things like Eventually the relationship would start to unravel, And usually the common denominator was my drinking and just all the different ways that that impacted me and whoever I was dating. And so at one of these low points in a relationship that is now starting to fall apart, this particular girl, her parents were very gracious to me, very patient with me. Her dad had actually been sober. I think at that point for around twenty years, and he had been really involved in AA I think earlier in his sobriety. At this point, I think he's maybe attending a meeting a week or every other week, but he's just kind of sitting back as really, my unraveling is on full display. And at one of these low points in this relationship with his daughter, he very lovingly was like, hey, man, I don't know if you want to hear this, but I think you might have a problem with alcohol. And at this point, I might be around twenty two or twenty three years old, and that is the last thing that I want to hear. And even though there's like something inside of me that's like, yeah, this is a little problematic, like what I'm drinking, how much I'm drinking, like the consequences relationships just crumbling, Like there's there's an awareness inside of me, but kind of like you said, like the Lord gives us over, like if this is what you want, have your fill, we suppress the truth and unrighteousness.
Speaker 1: We'll be right back after this. Yeah, And I think I think it's so interesting because I think a lot of people I know I have this. I know a lot of people I've interviewed on this podcast, is there. If we're honest with ourselves, there is a point, likely very early on, where we're like, this is this is not good?
Speaker 3: Oh for sure.
Speaker 1: Now, if we were called if and when we were called out about it, at that point, we denied it, you know, up and down. But I think it's so interesting. There's something there, right that we just suppress.
Speaker 2: Oh for sure. Yeah, it's even if it's the faintest voice. I mean, unless someone has drank or used drugs to the point where like they've actually compromised like their cognitive abilities to like think rationally. I think that even if it's the faintest voice, all of us experience that at least at some point. Now, maybe it gets to a point where it's been so numbed and drowned that that you can't even hear the voice anymore type thing.
Speaker 3: But yeah, I agree with you.
Speaker 2: And so he's like, hey, like maybe you should consider going to an a meeting just to see like what you think. And so at this point, like when I would drink and especially like on the backside of like these weekend binges, I would feel anxious, I would even feel depressed, especially like if I got in an argument with my girlfriend and like I'm having to look through text messages to try to even piece together like Sherlock Holmes, what did I say the night before that has her so mad at me?
Speaker 3: Type thing?
Speaker 2: And so like in one of these low moments where like I'm definitely not willing to admit that I have a problem, or definitely not willing to admit that I'm an alcoholic. I'm willing to acknowledge that, hey, there might be some sort of a problem here, but yeah, just really not having any answers or any reasons to justify continuing to do what I was doing. At one point, I end up committing to doing ninety AA meetings in ninety days and really like that thing, right, it's called ninety and ninety Oh for sure, totally a thing. And he was encouraging me like, hey, like do ninety and ninety. You're going to hear people share their story. You're gonna hear people talk about alcoholism. You're gonna hear from the Big Book, which is the book that Alcoholics Anonymous is based on. It's actually just called Alcoholics Anonymous, as you know. And he was essentially was saying like, I'm not telling you you're an alcoholic, like you decide for yourself. And so really, I commit to do this ninety and ninety not because I think I'm an alcoholic, and definitely not because I'm planning to never drink again. It's actually to prove to them that I'm not an alcoholic and that I could not drink for ninety days and essentially just demonstrate that. Yeah, like, maybe this has been problematic at times, but it's not like an alcoholism problem. It's a lack of self control sometimes problem.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yep, which I think is so like I told myself that, and I think there's a lot of people listening. There's a different between problematic drinking and having a drinking problem, oh for sure. And I think we live on that, like we like that keeps us in bondage for a long time.
Speaker 2: Oh for sure, for sure, especially as Christians, because like, yes, even if a problematic drinker is not an alcoholic, if you're flirting or even drinking past the point of drunkenness, whether you're an alcoholic or not, you're in sin. So then it's a whole nother thing for the believer. But yeah, man, I essentially commit to do the ninety and ninety. I do ninety and ninety. I go to a meeting every single day. I don't drink for ninety days. And I actually paid attention, Like I didn't just sit in there and try to fantasize about anything and everything like other than where I am in that moment, Like I actually paid attention. AM listening. So I'm hearing people read from the Big Book. I'm hearing people read the steps and talk through different steps. I'm hearing people share their testimonies, and I'm definitely relating to some of what they say. I'm definitely encouraged by the vulnerability. I'm encouraged by what is a clear intentionality to help other people. I refused to identify as an alcoholic, so like in every meeting you have to essentially say, like, Hi, my name is Brett, and I'm alcoholic. I think I said, I mean this was almost fourteen, Well no, this was almost twenty years ago now, because this was before I actually got sober. I think I said, like, my name is Brett, and I have a desire to stop drinking, which that wasn't even truthful, Like I did not have a desire to stop drinking. But it was better than saying my name is Brett and I'm an alcoholic. And I had some people come up to me during those ninety days and they're like, what are you even doing here? And I'm like i'd get like offended, Like I'm just like, man, I'm just figuring stuff out, like like.
Speaker 3: What does it matter to you? Type thing?
Speaker 2: Is there essentially like oh, if you're here, you've got to be an alcoholic type thing. So anyway, dude, Day ninety one, like literally, I'm at a bar as the clock strikes midnight with some friends and we have a few victory beers and I end up like in that moment like I don't get drunk. I don't even think I got buzzed. I just had a few beers. This is now, it's a Sunday, so Saturday night at midnight. Now it's Sunday morning at like twelve thirty am. Bars are open until two in Phoenix. So having these few victory beers, go home later than that same day there's an Eric Church concert. This is all like in Tempe, Arizona, and we go to the bars on Mill Avenue, which is like the main street at Arizona. State University with a all the bars, and dude, I get absolutely annihilated, and by the time I get into the concert, I don't even think I'm in there for thirty minutes before I get kicked out of the concert for being so intoxicated. Now what's crazy is like I went into that not planning to get annihilated. I thought, for sure, I'm going to go to the bars, control it, obviously, have fun. It's not like I'm not trying to get drunk, but I'm going to be a controlled, know what I'm doing, drunk having fun type thing. And so you want to talk about the next morning when I had done the ninety and ninety, I had heard them talk about its language from the Big Book, incomprehensible demoralization, and like I felt incomprehensible demoralization because now I'm like, oh, I have a problem, Like it's clear that I'm not in control. And really, from that point up in until I got sober at twenty seven, because it was probably another three four years, I'm continuing to drink, essentially running from the very clear awareness in the back of my mind that I am an alcoholic.
Speaker 1: So can I ask you about that? Because I've had. I had I don't know if I've had such as clear of a delineation in my story, but I know there was a point that I realized I can't really control this. Yeah, I mean my rock bottom moment. I finally admitted that right out loud if you will, or finally accepted it maybe, But okay, So you have that realization, you're like, man, I really can't control this, and then is it just like well, I mean drinking, that feeling and that thought away for that next three years or what is really the thought process over that three years of where you come to that realization and then until you get sober? For sure.
Speaker 2: One of the things that clicked was I assume that the alcoholic was the person living under the bridge that can't stop drinking and has lost everything. One of the things that I heard in ninety meetings in ninety days is it's not how much you drink or even how often you drink that makes you an alcoholic. It's what happens the majority of the time when you drink, even if that's once a year. So again, not about how much you're drinking daily or even how often you're drinking does matter. Obviously, if someone is drinking every single day tons like, then that's a pretty clear indication that they're likely an alcoholic. But this what happens when you drink the majority of the time. And I mean for years and years, I would go out with a genuine intention not to get annihilated. Don't get me wrong, I wanted to get buzzed. I even wanted to be drunk, Like remember the whole night drunk, had fun, drunk, didn't burn bridges drunk. Like again, I'm not a Christian, so like I'm thinking drunk in all the best ways and time and time again. The next morning, I have no idea what happened the night before. And even though I had went out with a genuine intention to not get annihilated and so learning like, oh man, once I start drinking more often than not, I will drink to access to where even I would say that makes no sense to drink as much as I did last night, and you do it again and again and again, and really, as I continued to drink even after that moment, kind of like you said, like what happened when I finally got sober, it was just me running from the truth. I knew it was true, and I did not want it to be true, and I wouldn't have had this language back then. But alcohol and what it did for me, it was my God. My life was oriented around the worship of alcohol and probably even more alcohol as a means to an end of peace of mind, escaping from the stress of life. Like there's all types of things that I'm sure I was using alcohol as a means to an end to get, but it really it was worship. Like life outside of work did not make sense to me if it wasn't centered on drinking and enjoying yourself.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, absolutely, absolutely, Okay, so take us to when you finally, you know, do get sober.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So, at this point, still not a Christian, I had paid attention in the ninety meetings, like like I had said, and so so I knew like in the back of my mind, if I ever did get sober, I wasn't going to mess around. I was going to I was going to do everything that I had heard them talk about when I went to ninety meetings in ninety days. I was going to do another another ninety and ninety at a minimum. I was going to get a sponsor immediately. I was going to start working the steps immediately. I was going to sign up for service commitments immediately, like everything that was suggested I was going to do. And so fast forward to I'm twenty seven years old. I'm in a different relationship with a girl, and again it just crumbles, largely due to my drinking. And on the backside of that relationship, I had this like reality or epiphany, if you will, where like if I ever wanted to be married, there was no way that that would ever happen if I was drinking, and like it still might not happen. I mean, I'm still not married. I'm forty one now, but like there was just this clarity, like, man, no relationship is ever going to work if I'm drinking. Now, relationships might not work for other reasons, but I didn't want them to no longer work because of the drinking, and so like really me getting sober, it's it's just like, okay, well, alcohol and what it did for me was uppermost in my affections. Now it's like this hope of marriage is uppermost. So the new worship, if you will, the new object of worship is like I want to be able to get married someday and not have it not work because of alcohol. So dude, I just immerse myself in AA and everything that I had learned years prior I do. I probably went to well over one hundred meeting in the first ninety days, immediately got a sponsor, start working the steps. I start sponsoring other guys. They're sponsoring other guys. I'm hosting like big book studies, so like similar to how people at Bible Studies were like studying the book Alcoholics anonymous, like at my house having coffee with like guys that I sponsor, guys that they're sponsoring. I'm starting to speak at meetings. I'm serving at meetings, maybe setting up tables or like setting up coffee or taking out trash. Like outside of working full time, I was as all in on AA as you could possibly be. Like everything that you could do, I am doing and I get sober, and by the grace of God, almost five thousand days later, I'm still sober.
Speaker 3: Now where all of this to get real.
Speaker 2: Interesting in the best way is it was around this same time, I think even before I had actually quit drinking, I had started occasionally attending a faithful church in Tempe, Arizona, is called redemption temp. I had none of this language back then, but it was a church where complementarian in terms of it's like church polity, reform theology, expositional preaching. I know that everyone listening to this may not align with that or may not even know what I'm talking about. That meant a lot to me, Like I didn't even know what it was, and I'm like, yes, yes, yes to this, and it's still what I value and believe. And so anyway, the point is, I walk into an incredible church. And even though I had grown up going to Catholic Mass pretty much every Sunday for the first seventeen years of my life, since moving out and going to college, the only times I ever went to church were on like Christmas or Easter, and it would typically be Catholic Mass, like with family. So now here I am, at twenty seven years old, going to this non denominational church because I want to, because I'm curious. Now I'm not yet a Christian, but I'm curious about Jesus. I'm curious about the Bible. And when I go to this church, like I am starting to hear very faithful gospel proclamation. Now as I get sober and I'm all in on AA, Like, outside of working full time, ninety nine percent of my activity is in AA. But I'm starting to pretty consistently go to that church on Sundays. I also start reading the Bible for the first time in my life. Had never read the Bible, and I just start reading. And this is probably six months or a year into sobriety. I'm thinking, like, yeah, I know that AA says like came to believe in a higher power, like as you understand him to be, like God is whoever you want God to be. But like I'm thinking, like, yeah, Jesus is my higher power. I'm going to that church, I'm reading my Bible. I'm thinking at first that like all of this is going to play super nice in the sandbox, Like I'm not anticipating any sort of rub or conflict between everything I'm.
Speaker 3: Doing in AA and learning.
Speaker 2: Really about the God of the Bible and Christianity. And at this point I probably would have told you I was a Christian because I'm going to church and I'm reading the Bible, and I'm doing those things because I want to do them. But I was convinced that point I was not yet a Christian. And so kind of, like you said at the intro, and even where we're at now, like saved from sobriety is appropriate because this is kind of where all of that started to come to a head.
Speaker 1: So and maybe we'll kind of get here, but well, I'll save that question. I'll save that question, all right, keep going, So you start bring us to the point where because if your story is saved from sobriety, right, I think, and I'm not going to ruin the ending for people, but one of the things that you have become passionate about is and it's something I'm passionate about, right, is that sobriety cannot be the ultimate goal. And and so what I talk about in my book, what I talk about on this podcast a lot, where I talk about in my ministry is that Jesus has to be the ultiate goal. It's not that you can't get sober without Jesus. Certainly millions of people have, oh for sure, But you're missing out on two things. You're missing out in the most flourishing, fulfilled life now Indian eternity. Right. Yeah, So bring us to the point where you start to realize, hey, it's not enough just to be sober.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I would even raise the stakes a little bit as I'm like reading the Bible more and more and I'm attending that church consistently and hearing faithful preaching.
Speaker 3: What I'm.
Speaker 2: Learning, and even teaching others in AA is starting to rub with what I'm reading in the Bible. And so you've got the last chapter before I think it gets into like the stories in the Big Book where it's like this, this invitation to join join us on the broad Highway to happy destiny. And AA is not ambiguous at all. It is a universalist program. God is whoever you want God to be or it to be like there's there's total clarity from AA that it is regardless of the Christian influence. It's not a Christian program. It is a universalist program. So that's where I wanted to go earlier.
Speaker 1: And so so now we're here and I would say, okay, So what I hear from so many people is, well, AA is is you know the Oxford Group, Bill w the Good Doctor. It is based in Christian principles, It's based in the Book of James. And so many people use that and say, look, there's nothing wrong with it. Then how do you. What's your response to that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so.
Speaker 2: I actually would say that the influence of the Oxford Group, which I'm not second guessing the Oxford Group at all. From everything I understand about the Oxford Group, they were faithful believers. So it's more dangerous in the sense of you've got this original Christian influence. You do have some scripture, like from James, faith without works is dead. You clearly have biblical principles throughout the book, and even if you read the Twelve Steps, there's like these echoes of biblical principles. But essentially what Bill and doctor Bob did was they took the Christian influence, but they removed Christ. And whether or not Bill and doctor Bob were Christians, I have no idea, due there are so many people, like if you go down those rabbit trails, there are people who would stake their lives on them being believers, and there are other people who would stake their lives on they were not believers. I obviously hope they were believers. What is indisputable is that Christ, the gospel of faithful Christian worldview, was removed from the program and from the Twelve Steps, and so whatever the Oxford group was trying to do. I'm assuming that was totally christ centered, even faithful to the Word of God. If you just read the Big Book, it is totally not like complimentary to the Word of God. It's totally a different worldview. I mean even just think of this. So I mentioned that chapter that is kind of like at the end of the first part of the Big Book where it talks about join us on the broad Highway to happy destiny. And what they're saying is like, it doesn't matter who or what you believe in, just practice these principles with us, walk this joyful path of sobriety. And it's this broad path, broad highway to happy destiny. As in, like, this is going to be a great life and we're going to journey it together, and the next life is going to be great too, whatever happy destiny is. Jesus says in the Sermon on the Mount literally his words are the path is broad that leads to destruction, and those who find it are many, and the way is narrow that leads to life, and it's hard, and those who find it are few. And like even just reading the Twelve Steps, it's making Gospel promises that you can be reconciled to God without the Gospel, and so.
Speaker 1: Explain that You've I've heard you say that before, and I think it's a really powerful statement. Yeah, And let me just say before we go any further, I haven't done a right so people listening to this, and I've had people on here who are big proponents of AA. I wanted to have Brett on here because I think you offer a perspective that is important and I think you have insight that I simply do not have. Right, I have not gone through the twelve steps. People who've read my books say, hey, they're they're kind of all in there, right, like greatly, I'm not anti twelve steps, and we're gonna talk about that in a second. I want to get I want to get there, but talk about that whole Gospel promises without being able to really deliver for sure.
Speaker 2: I mean, dude, even if you just think of the story of the Bible, and I'm I'm I'm kinda specifically referring to like the Old Testament Genesis three, like the serpent deceives Adam and Eve by getting them to like distrust God. Did God actually say? And then if you just look at the whole story of the people of Israel. They're constantly worshiping false gods. And that's like the main problem of the Bible sin and the way that sin plays out is in the worship of false gods, whether it's people or things, anything other than the true God. And so like when you even just think of Ebi Thatcher's question to Bill Wilson, why don't you come up with your own conception of God? And then you think, explain that for people who don't know that, explain that. Yeah, yeah, So Bill Wilson in the Big Book, he shares his story and he's kind of talking about his life, and I think he's making it pretty clear that he's got frustrations with religion as he understood it. And I'm not even saying that those wouldn't be legitimate frustrations. There are horrible things that have done in the name of God. But as he's sharing his story and really all of these objections that he has to believing in God, and I'm pretty sure he's referring to the God of the Bible. The watershed moment for him, like when the scales fall from his eyes, as he says, is when his friend Ebbie Thatcher said, Okay, I understand you've got all these hang ups with religion and what you've learned since you've grown up. Why don't you come up with your own conception of God? And so literally this watershed moment that Bill Wilson describes where the scales came off his eyes. He felt the nearness of his creator for the first time. Like, dude, that question, why don't you come up with your own conception of God? That is a satanic question, Like Jesus says, I'm the way the truth in the life. No one comes to the Father except through me to encourage someone to to reject God as he's revealed himself in the Bible and in the person and work of Jesus Christ, and just to essentially make a God in their own image, one that they're good with, one that they actually get to mold and shape, like it's just antithetical to Christianity. And so tying that in with the Twelve Steps, like first step we admitted we were powerless over alcohol and that our lives had become unmanageable. Did our problems are infinitely worse as humans than our lives being unmanageable and us being powerless over alcohol. Those are symptoms and just outworkings of an infinitely greater problem, which is our sin and our separation from a holy God. So like even step one, the diagnosis is already wrong. We have a infinitely worse problem than alcohol. It's called sin. So then you come to step two. Came to believe that a power greater than ourselves could restore us to sanity. Now that's that sounds nice, but it's this vague power greater than ourselves. And then step three made the decision to turn our will and our lives over to the care of God. And here you go as we understood him. Like it is literally the twelve steps. It's you get to decide who God is. And dude, if I have the power to literally decide who my higher power is, I'm the higher power. Like if I get to choose like whether God jumps or sits, or runs or walks, or as a man or as a woman, or is all loving and no judgment. I mean, dude, Literally, the assignment that my sponsor had me do for my step two Step three was like, write a pros and cons list of what I want my God to have and what I don't want him to have almost like treating my higher power like Chipotle, like I want two scoop of grace, two scoops of love. Definitely, no judgment, Definitely no wrath. It's like, literally, we get to choose who our God is, and this is the God that we believe in. And then you get to step twelve and it says, having had a spiritual awakening as the result of working these steps, we seek to practice these principles and all of our affairs and carry the message to the alcoholic who still suffers. Now, like for Christians to have a spiritual awakening like that is very clearly to be born again. It's the conversation between Jesus and Nicodemus, like you can only be born again by grace through faith in Jesus. And what's so wild again this language of step twelve having had a spiritual awakening as the result of working these steps. We're literally Ephesians two when it's saved, we're saved by grace through faith, not the result of works. So it doesn't matter what steps you work. We're saved, not the result of works, So that no one may boast. But it's literally a gift that we could never earn, we could never work, for it's by grace through faith in the person and work of Jesus Christ. And so like this is where like it's I think it's helpful, especially like for Christians in AA where like maybe what I'm saying right now, like it's just hard to wrap your mind around or maybe even just like how could this possibly be true? Like it's not spiritually neutral, And I think it's helpful for people to remember also talked about in Ephesians that like our wrestle is not against flesh and blood, but like there are spiritual realities behind the scenes in all of this. And if you just read the twelve steps verbatim, it's making the promise that only the Gospel can actually keep, the promise that you can actually be reconciled to a holy God and repenting from your sin and believing in Jesus alone, not the God that you create in your imagination that is nowhere in the twelve steps. And so to promise people that they can be spiritually awakened, i e. Born again, whether or not Jesus is in the picture at all, whether or not they believe the Gospel at all, that's a false gospel, and this is where it's it's understandable to me, but it's also very confusing to me how Christians in AA who think AA is like actually a gift from God, how they can't see that.
Speaker 1: Let's go there because I think that's My next question is do you think that Christians can participate in AA in good conscience?
Speaker 2: So I definitely think because of the conscious component this Romans fourteen whatever doesn't proceed from faith to sin. It's going to vary for everybody. The way that I would kind of talk about it just quickly is my preference would be that someone would be involved in a gospel centered recovery ministry where it's unapologetically centered on the person at work of Christ. If that's not available where they are, I would, without hesitation, send them to celebrate recovery. If there's nothing around them. We've obviously got the internet now there are online gospel centered groups that they could like join and be active in weekly. I would definitely want them, assuming they're a believer, to be plugged into a local church Lord willing a member serving in that church, being discipled in that church, known by people in that church. And let's say if all of that is in place, but they're still just like they need more structure. I would tell them, like, hey, if none of these other in person like Gospel Center, recovery ministries or see our ministries are an option where you live, you could definitely go to AA meetings. They can be helpful in the sense of you're around other people who are struggling like we do, and there's the structure of like, hey, on Mondays, I don't have anything with the church or my online group doesn't meet, so Monday's is kind of a vulnerable day for me, so I am going to hit an AA meeting on Mondays. I would just encourage them. Again, this assumes this person as a Christian that like, when you're in that meeting, it's probably helpful when you hear someone share, especially if they've just relapsed and like your heart breaks for them. That's good reminder for you not to drink again. So it could be helpful in that way. Now when people are like teaching like from the Big Book, or maybe they're sharing their story, but really they're they're also teaching like what AA teaches, just wanting that person to understand, like you, you are not hearing a message that is complimentary to the Gospel. You are hearing an anti gospel message, like because Jesus either is who he says he is, he's away the truth in the life and no one comes to the Father except for him, or he's not. And to be pushing steps and a program that is unapologetically like with joy, encouraging people to make a God of their own image, however they want this God to be. I mean, if you just imagine in the Bible, like people saying like, go make your own God, whatever you want it to be, Like, it's just it's just so insane, it's so so antithetical to what Christians believe. And yeah, I think that's where because like I've even thought about this recently. Dude, I haven't been to an AA meeting maybe in over a decade. I don't even know if I've been to one meeting in the last ten years. And if I was in AA, I don't even know if I could do it because of my conscience. But if I did do it and I was going to sponsor someone, I would have to tell them up front, like, hey, there's a lot in the Big Book, and there's a lot that is said in these meetings that as a Christian I one hundred percent and unapologetically disagree with and like, if you want me to sponsor you, I'm not going to talk about God in a general way. I'm only going to pray to and talk about the God that I believe in. I believe the true God, and like our counsel is going to come from the Word. And then if someone's like, yeah, I'm just not interested in that, then that's totally fine, Like they don't have to be interested in that.
Speaker 3: But I think.
Speaker 2: It is going to be a case by case for a person of whether or not they would want to serve in AA and try to sponsor people. I think you could, but I think you would have to make things very clear up front, like what you believe, and be careful that you're not co signing what really is full blown idolatry and encouragement of idolatry.
Speaker 1: Do you think as a Christian you can work the steps and like, do you think they can be a tool for discipleship?
Speaker 2: Man, I I would much rather take someone through steps, Like I know that you're familiar with the Steps program that's at Citizens' Church in Plano, Texas. I mean we have gospel centered christ exalting curriculum, and if I met someone in a A that wanted to do like truly Christ centered discipleship, to me, there's no point to even use any of the AA stuff or try to make it work. I would just want to use stuff that unapologetically is oriented around the Lord. Like for someone let's say it's someone who's a Christian and they're they're in AA not because they're like wanting to sponsor and evangelize, but they're there because like they need help and they're scared. I get that again. I would just want them to understand that they're not in spiritually neutral meetings. Like, dude, I've probably been to over a thousand meetings. Like I know, I said, I haven't been to a meeting in over ten years, but for the first few years of my sobriety, I went to hundreds of meetings, probably over a thousand meetings. This kind of gets it what I was talking about earlier, with like we don't wrestle against flesh and blood, but like the spiritual realities behind the scenes in a thousand meetings, I never one time heard anyone tell someone else to stop talking about their higher power, because like you've got the twelve steps, but then you also have the twelve traditions of AA.
Speaker 3: And so usually the twelve traditions will.
Speaker 2: Be used to correct someone when they're sharing something that isn't in line with someone's interpretation of the twelve traditions of AA. So what I'm getting at is in a thousand meetings, dude, you hear people talk about my God is nature, My God is astrology, the stars, my God is this group like literally people would say the acronym god, group of drunks. So like this gathered presence of people in this meeting is their God. So like your God could be anyone or anything, and you're not getting corrected. But if you say that your God is Jesus, the vast majority of the time you will have someone say, don't talk about your God so specifically. And so like again, just like Christian zoom out, Like Jesus is not welcome in the majority of those rooms. Now, maybe you go to an AA meeting in the Bible Belt and maybe a lot of the people in the room are Christian. Sure they probably talk about Jesus openly, unapologetically, But like I'm talking about the normal air of other meetings, people can talk about whatever God they believe in. No one's going to say a word you talk about Jesus, the majority of the time, someone is going to tell you to stop. And what's interesting, they're telling you to stop because it could be a stumbling block to the new person in AA who had a bad experience with religion. So like, not only is Jesus like being silenced in the room, but they're referring to him as a stumbling block, which is just like again, as a Christian, to say that Jesus is a stumbling block to somebody again is totally satanic.
Speaker 1: You're not the first and only person to bring that up that you know, there's a lot more room for the light socket to be a higher power than there is Jesus especially, And this is like the secularization of everything is only getting worse, right.
Speaker 3: Oh for sure, for sure, we're not.
Speaker 1: We're not trending towards a more Christian, a more holy society, right. And so I think even if you could say, like in the beginning, it was a lot better, like it's just it's it's not there anymore, yea, Or even in.
Speaker 2: The beginning, if it was an even in the beginning. If a lot of the people, including Bill and doctor Bob were Christians, no matter how Christian it was in the sense of these people were genuine believers, which again I hope they were. I hope they were. Yeah, it does not matter how many of them were Christians. The program that they finalized that is still available today is an unapologetically universalist God is whoever you want God to be, making gospel promises without the Gospel program, and there's no way around very clearly telling what it is, which is a false gospel.
Speaker 1: There are some authors Richard Roor is one of them, oh for sure. Ian Morgan Crone is another one who have written books that have basically said, hey, we can use the twelve steps to bring us closer to Christ. Do you think that's possible? Do you think they're misguided? Do you think what are they missing?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: I would say they're severely, even spiritually dangerously misguided. I would have to double check this. I'm fairly positive. Richard Ror is quoted as saying that if the Gospel is true and that God the Father sent God the Son willingly to die on a cross in our place, that he is a cosmic child abuser. So I'm pretty sure Richard Rhor totally rejects the Christian gospel. Anyway, that's a whole other conversation. I've actually got books written by him. I hope to engage with more of that down the road. But yeah, I would say that these guys are very misguided.
Speaker 1: I want to go back to something you said, and we're just I mean, we're just stepping on land mines in a good way. Like I think, like, let's go for it right.
Speaker 2: Well, and and and I'll tell you too, at one point after you asked this next question or wherever you want to take us, why I am so passionate about being very clear with what I'm saying, even if I know it might be hard for some people to hear it.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, all right, we'll get there. You made this distinction, you said, Hey, listen, my first my first preference would be Gospel Center Recovery, a Gospel send and recovery program. If not, then Celebrate Recovery. If not that, then AA what is the difference between something like Gospel Center Recovery and Celebrate Recovery. Can the Celebrate Recovery be Gospel Sending recovery why'd you draw that distinction. We'll be right back after this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So at the end of the day, if a celebrate recovery ministry was like the best option that someone had, I would tell them to go for sure. The reason I make a slight distinction is I've noticed that in Celebrate Recovery because essentially what Rick Warren Saddleback Church did was let's take the good things in AA and make them the best by clearly centering all of this on Jesus Christ, which is fantasy.
Speaker 1: So I think there's a lot of people like, what do you mean that's not gospel center recovery. Yeah, yeah, no, for sure, I think where I would say there is a little bit of a distinction, and why I would just encourage people more towards this gospel centered recovery ministry that we're talking about. We could even give examples.
Speaker 2: I'm sure you've given examples of churches and ministries that are like this, But I've noticed that there's still a tendency in Celebrate recovery for there to be like a quote unquote righteousness related to length of time and so like, even though it works right like if you're and works yep, and I've also noticed, and this to me again points out the spiritual realities behind the scenes and why this is so important. There are a lot of AA people who, based on how they carry themselves and what they say, seem to be more allegiant to AA than to Christ, but who give lip service to Christ in the rooms of CR. And again, that to me is just kind of highlighting a spiritual danger. Now, don't get me wrong, Like I go to a faithful church here in Louisville, Kentucky, Like there are probably wolves in sheep's clothing in my own church, or there have been at times. So like, I'm not saying that is a problem that is like only related to CR. I'm just saying that I've met a lot of people in those meetings where as you start to just ask questions, it seems to be that the program AA is uppermost in their affections. And like some of them, even unapologetically, will say, like I don't have Jesus without the twelve steps, and yeah, the program just gets elevated. And so yeah, in CR, like you said, there there can just still be this focus on works, this focus on like sobriety, righteousness, and that honestly ties in with what I was going to say, and kind of why I'm passionate about all of this. So like the breaking point for me because remember I went from being like AA's biggest fan, all in on it. Yeah, like poster boy love AA, can't get enough of AA. I went from that place to the more and more I read the Bible, the more and more I sat under faithful preaching, and I'm just reading these things like Jesus and the Sermon on the Mount saying there are gonna be those on that day who say, Lord, Lord, didn't we cast out demons in your name and perform miracles in your name and prophesy in your name? Only for him to say, depart from me. You work as a lawlessness. I never knew you. And so like I'm like, okay, you could talk Christian, walk Christian, look Christian, and according to Jesus not be a Christian. And so like I'm starting to have this like holy spirit, like the Word of God is coming alive to me, and it's like it's so clearly saying things that are in total conflict with what I am believing and teaching other people in and then really the Lynchpin for me. And this is why I'm so passionate about this and why I'm willing to speak unapologetically about it. Is when Jesus says, what is it profit a man if he gains the whole world but forfeits his soul? So like, if you're listening to this, like hear me loud and clear, I love sobriety. I am eternally grateful to God for sobriety. Sobriety is a really good thing. I hope to be sober for the rest of my life. If I get to live, Lord Willing another forty or fifty years, I hope, by the grace of God, alcohol never touches my lips ever again. So like, I am as pro sobriety now as I've ever been. Love sobriety. It's a good gift. Jesus says, what does it profit a man if he gains the whole world, which includes everything good like sobriety? What is it profit a man if he gains everything, including good things like sobriety, and forfeits his soul? And that was for me, I think probably the day of my conversion. I'm reading that at home, and it was in that moment where the Holy Spirit immediately as I'm reading that verse substituted the word sobriety for the world. And I'm sitting there on my couch thinking, what does it profit Brett if he's gained sobriety but has actually forfeited his soul. Now, this is where it's even scarier for me. At this point, I would have told you I was a Christian. I'm reading the Bible. I'm going to church on Sundays. I'm telling people in AA unapologetically that Jesus is my higher power. I'm inviting other guys that I'm sponsoring in AA to come to church. So like, dude, I look like I'm a Christian. I talk like I'm a Christian. I think I'm a Christian. And when I read that verse about gaining sobriety and forfeiting my soul, it was then I realized that I was just as dead in my sin, probably around a year sober at this point, with this cleaned up life helping other guys get sober. They're helping guys get sober. I'm taking them to church. I'm going to church. I'm reading the Bible. I was just as dead in my sin, just as separated from God as I was when I was a drunk, chasing women without a care in the world, and could care less about following Jesus because the only thing that had changed was the object of my worship. I went from worshiping alcohol and everything that that was a means to an end to get to Now I'm just worshiping at the altar of sobriety. So I go to my meetings, I work my steps, I call my sponsor, I sponsored my guys, I serve, I go to church on Sundays, I'm reading my Bible. Like, dude, how could the Lord not be so stoked with all of this fruit in my life? Like my life looks so radically different? How could this not be proof of God's intervention in my life? And dude, I was just as destined for hell if I would have died that day as I was when I was an unapologetic enemy of God.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think that's what I get really passionate about as well, in the sense what you said there is we can't just swap idols. No, And so when people ask me, Johnna, you antia inti twelve steps, you anti celebrate recovery. I think what I say is what I have seen, okay, is that there is is a proclivity to worship programs and steps with people who are the biggest fans of those programs.
Speaker 3: Oh for sure.
Speaker 1: And that's I don't want that for you. Yeah, if you're listening to this, I don't want that for you. If you're listening to this and you that doesn't mean Like one of my one of my close mentors, she is a woman who runs a CR but she runs it in a way that I would say is gospel centered. Yeah, right, I believe it is gospel centered, right. And and We've had these conversations, and in fact, I've had to uh unwind certain conversations that I've had. One of the most destructive conversations early on in my sobriety was with a regional director of a celebrate recovery who you know, I'd reached out to a bunch of different ones and and felt like the Lord was like telling me, hey, reach out, offer to share your story. I reached out to I mean, I want to say, twenty crs in my area. Only one of them invited me to speak, and the regional director got on the phone with me and basically was like, stop it, stop calling and emailing people. She goes, if you are not doing the program, you are not really in recovery. And I was like, what what are you talking about? Like what do you mean?
Speaker 3: You know?
Speaker 1: It was so confusing, and it was like you've you've swapped iitles, like you're just you're still worshiping a pro Like you're not. You're not about what does it look like to get to the root, What does it look like to excavate? What does it look like to let Jesus into all those areas and worship him exclusively? You know? And and so that's why I think that's why I think this is an important cover, this is an important conversation, is because what doesn't want what I don't want. If you want to go to a CR, great, if you want to go to an AA right with the caveats of bread has explained, which I think seemed very wise. Right again, I haven't gone to I haven't gone through AA, and so I defer to him. But everything that he has said, uh, makes a lot of sense to me. If you disagree, shoot me, shoot me a message, like maybe we could have another episode where where where where we answer questions right, We answered things where you're like, hey, what about this, what about this? Like let's do it right. But I think the point is is that is that Christ as a Christian, this shouldn't be controversial bread, but it is.
Speaker 3: It shouldn't and and I want to speak to that if I can. Yeah. So, the the.
Speaker 2: The clarity just backtracking real quick, as I realized I'm just as dead in my sin in that moment, with this cleaned up life, sober, going to church talking about Jesus, I'm just as separated from God as I had been in the past. The clarity that the Holy Spirit revealed to me was I was equating my sobriety from alcohol with righteousness and essentially believing that I'm right with God, not because of and only because of what Jesus has done, living a sinless life in my place, dying the death that I deserve on the cross, Like it wasn't me trusting in that, it was me essentially trusting in this new way of life, this sobriety, all these good things I'm doing, and so like, that's why I say saved from sobriety. Ultimately we're saved from sin. But our sin is like playing out in all different kinds of ways, all different forms of idolatry. And I had an idolatry of sobriety. I was worshiping sobriety while giving lip service to Jesus. And like, dude, when you think about the enemy, he does not care how much we miss Jesus by as long as we miss Jesus. Yeah, and so like think of the people. And this is where I say this, Like this is with a broken heart. You've got all these people in twelve step programs who think they're right with God as they understand God. Some of these people explicitly want nothing to do with Jesus. Some of them are probably indifferent to Jesus. Some of them don't really know about Jesus. But they all think they have a relationship with the God of their understanding.
Speaker 3: They pray to their God.
Speaker 2: They attribute the blessings in their life to their God. Like they're sober now, their marriage has recovered, business is going great, they're healthier than they've ever been. So like, if I was to tell them, hey, if you actually haven't repented of your sin and put your and Jesus alone for salvation, you actually are not reconciled to God, and you actually don't have a relationship with God. Like whoever you think you're praying to you or whatever you think you're praying to, is actually not God. They would think I'm insane now, and this is why. And again, like I would have done, they would point to their life. They would say, look at all the evidence of my God's presence in my life. So again, the enemy does not care how much we miss Jesus. By as long as we miss Jesus. I don't think there's much more that pleases the enemy than for people to spend decades of their life sober, living a without a doubt, better life than they did when they were drinking and drugging, thinking they're totally fine with God as they understand God, only to get the end of their life, and they spend all these decades sober, they helped all these other people get sober, and it was all in this general God that they essentially defined or came up with. And then I say this like tragically, not like in a way that's like, oh, this is what they get. I say this like with tears. Then they go to hell, like that is exactly what the enemy wants, like, if the Bible is true, then people are either going to spend eternity with God by grace, true faith in Jesus alone, or they're going to spend eternity in hell. I believe that the Bible is true, and so when Jesus says, what is a prophet of man? If he gains the whole world, be forfeits his soul. I want people to stay sober, for sure. I want people to get sober. I want your soul to be reconciled to God infinitely more than I want you to be sober, because if you get sober and you miss Jesus, you might enjoy the next decade or several decades, but you are on a path to destruction and you don't have to be.
Speaker 1: You know, there's one thing that I know that one of your mentors says a lot who's become you know, a mentor in a way of mind, and that is in all of this conversation. I don't think I know Brett's not saying this because I know him and I'm not saying this. That doesn't mean that you know that the Church has done this like perfectly right? I think sure part of the reason that AA that twelve step recovery has had to be there is because the church hasn't fulfilled its role, agreed. And And so when we talk about gospel centered recovery, which I want you to define that as kind of our last segment here, when we talk about gospel centered recovery, it is it's as much calling the church. And when I say the church, I'm especially talking about the local church and the local churches to invest in what it looks like to have thriving gospel centered recovery ministries. So with that said, Brett, how would you define what does it look like? What is gospel centered recovery?
Speaker 2: Yeah, and even just the way that you articulated that, I'm thinking like every single local church should be a gospel centered recovery ministry. Like if there is healthy discipleship and preaching and accountability and encouragement, then all it is is everyone as we struggle with sin until we either die or Jesus comes back, like you talk about in your book Messi Sanctification, all of us are going to struggle until we die or Jesus comes back. And so gospel centered recovery is learning how to apply the gospel specifically to every form of sin and suffering that we struggle with. And we had talked earlier too in one of the I guess taglines, if you will, from Recovery at Citizens Church in Plano, Texas, is like, sobriety is a byproduct of the main goal, which is a heart reconciled to God by grace through faith in Jesus' period, and so gospel centered recovery, whether it's sobriety anger, I mean, it's not just our sin, it's even our suffering. So it's grief, physical illness, I mean any form of sin and suffering where the healing, the relief, the comfort is all always the overflow of being reconciled to God first and foremost, and then enjoying life with Him, like enjoying God, living with God, living with the people of God. And then the overflow, the byproduct of that is often getting the very thing that brought us into quote unquote recovery in the first place. You had also said real quick here like this this stuff about Christianity and is like controversial, but it shouldn't be. And dude, I know why that is. So I say this, this this is not like condescension at all. We have a biblical alliteracy like disaster in the Western Church where people do not know the Word. And again I'm not saying this like in a talking down way. I'm saying like, we have a discipleship like disaster in the sense that people have not been taught how to read and study and apply the Word of God for themselves. Like I can't remember if it's Barna or Leganier, but one of them or both of them. They do these annual or biannual, massive surveys about basic Christian doctrine, like basic stuff about what Christians believe, and the results are horrifying, and so it is zero percent surprising if we don't And again I'm not saying that to be a Christian you've got to be able to pass a Christian doctrine test. That is not what I'm saying. What I'm saying, though, is it is zero percent surprising to me that Christians, who sadly are failing, if you will, for lack of a better word, these basic like surveys of what do Christians believe? Eve zero percent surprising that they're then in a room like AA and not understanding what the problem is so I say that to our fault, like those of us who, by the grace of God have been discipled well and are learning a lot. I know you just completed seminary. I've been taking seminary classes. I'm in a preaching course. I'm learning have to study the Bible from some of the best Bible teachers on the planet. Like it is our responsibility, not in a way that only God can shoulder, but as much as we can to disciple and teach others what it actually means to be a Christian and like, what do Christians believe?
Speaker 3: What does the Word teach?
Speaker 2: And then that would take care of all of this downstream confusion, where well, what's the problem with a universalist program that encourages you to believe in whatever God you want to and the exclusivity of Jesus being the only way to the Father. It's almost like I don't even know where to start. It's like you've got to go back up stream to just learn the basics of Christianity, and then that will take care of all this other stuff.
Speaker 3: Really, the Holy Spirit will take care of all this other stuff.
Speaker 1: The final thing I want to say is that I think when we talk about gospel syner recovery, which I think for me, you know, just just riffing off what Breadth said is is shooting for Jesus, getting sobriety thrown in that Jesus is the ultimate answer to the deepest issues that cause you to drink in the first place, that cause you to drink like an idiot, to drug, to porn to whatever. Right, is like, those are symptoms of a root cause that only Jesus can heal. Right, that is the result of the brokenness, sin and suffering that is in the world. Right, But that said is like is like I remember I was speaking down in Georgia and there was a place where like the there were some people that were afraid that what I was going to say was, well, all you need is Jesus and you don't need the you don't need anything else, right, And I think on one hand, you might like there might people be like, well, isn't that what you're saying? Are you saying you like Jesus? And I would say, it's like there's nuance there, right, Like, yes, I'm saying that Jesus is the ultimate answer, but that's not to the exclusivity and Brett, you can chime in, but that's not to the exclusivity of Like what I'm not saying is that there's no room for detox facilities, that's no room for sober living houses, that there's no room for treatment centers, that there's no room Like that's not it's not. See, I grew up in a faith healing background that when you said all you need is Jesus, it was like, you know, don't take medication, don't don't say that you have a cold, because that's confessing you know, bad things over you, and and and and that's not what we're saying here, right, Like it's there's room for that stuff, but it's not the ultimate goal.
Speaker 2: Right Yeah, yeah, there's there's not only room, but those those are all I would say, like a detox facility where it's purely medical, we're not talking about someone teaching something that's God's common grace now, like a secular treatment center, like if if they're pushing the twelve step agenda, like then you're getting into something different. But like if I've got someone and they've got to go to rehab and their only option is this one particular rehab, and and I know that they're pushing AA and they're of course, I'm gonna say go to the rehab, like if they need to detox and just get like separation from the people they're around, the drugs or alcohol they're around, of course I'm gonna say go there. What would be even more amazing, and I know that you're aware of our dreams as it relates to this is imagined facilities where just like we talk about gospel centered recovery, imagine gospel centered treatment centers where they've got all the medical stuff for detox and medication for people who do have mental health struggles, where medication is again it's not ultimate, but it is needed, even it's helpful, but it's ultimately supplemental. But then where the underlying message that's being taught in therapy and group counseling sessions is not something antithetical to Christianity, but actually the Gospel and the story of the Bible.
Speaker 1: So yeah, well, brat Man, this has been awesome. I think it's an important episode. I think it's one that I hope everyone listens to with open ears, that you know, it is one that you hear the heart behind what we're saying and what we want for you, which is ultimately we want we want Jesus for you, we want eternity, We want the flourishing that he offers, the best life that he offers, not the easiest. Right that doesn't mean a life devoid of hardships, or devoid of mental health issues or or or of you know, health, wealth and wisdom. Right like it is, however, the life that that Roman's eight twenty eight talks about, right that authors where all things work together for the good of those who love him and are called them called according to his purpose. So Brett, thank you, thank you, Thank you so much. And if people, you know, if you have questions, if you have thoughts, like, send them in. Like I said, we would love to do another episode. I'd love to have Brett back on again to answer your questions, your your angry emails, your loving emails. Right, yeah, you know, I think I think it's an important conversation. So Brett, thank you so much for joining us for it. I really think what Brett said about like the devil doesn't care how much we miss by right, And that was really true in my life, right, Like I I was doing things for the Lord, and I was I was listening to the Holy Spirit in plenty of aspects, right, Like I don't talk about this a lot, but like I donated a kidney to a stranger and really felt like the Lord, you know, laid it on my work to do right. And yet I had this this thing that I just kept turning to and and I had as an idol in my life. And so I think what I think the Devil's you know, some of his greatest work, if you will, is done when he can take a good thing and just twist it enough to turn it into an idol. And so when Brett talks about being saved from sobriety, it's like, man, I just see so many people make an idol out of sobriety, and I just think, oh, you're You're like you have just enough to convince yourself that you have everything, and yet you don't and the main thing you're still missing. I have friends, I have Christian friends who do AA and they approach it from a gospel lens, and I'm excited that they can do that right, and in some ways they are they have a mission field in front of them, right. Like I live down in the South and we say all the time, the churches down here have a really hard time because here in the Bible Belt, everyone says they're a Christian, everyone thinks they're a Christian, right, and yet so many people are just culturally Christians. And I think it's the same thing in that AA culture is like, hey, I'm good, I'm sober, everything's great, and yet they're missing the main thing. And so if you're a Christian that does AA, I would say use it as a mission field to draw people to Jesus. And I think the harvest is plenty there. Shoot me your thoughts on what you think. I would love to hear them. I talked in the intro about Veritas Recovery. If you appreciate this podcast, if you appreciate what we're saying here, if you are on board with aiming for Jesus and getting sobriety thrown in, you can make a tax deductible donation at Veritasrecovery dot org to keep this going. We are five oh one c three recognized by the IRS, and I would really appreciate it five ten thirty sixty one hundred whatever. I would really I would really covet that so that we can keep this going. Love you all, We'll see you back here next week.