Speaker 1: Welcome to Timeless Wisdom with Dennis Prager. Here thousands of hours of Dennis's lectures, courses in classic radio programs, and to purchase Dennis Prager's Rational Bibles, go to Dennisprager dot com. On today's episode of Timeless Wisdom.
Speaker 2: There is one question I will tell you now that is not answerable. That is simply a matter of faith. And I respect both positions equally as it happens, and that is God directs everything or God allows randomness to take place. I respect both positions equally, and I am comfortable with both and uncomfortable with both.
Speaker 1: That's coming off on Timeless Wisdom with Dennis Prager.
Speaker 2: It starts right now, to be or not to be? That is the question God.
Speaker 3: Isn't God supposed to be good?
Speaker 2: This needs supposed to love us?
Speaker 4: Does God want us to suffer ten years?
Speaker 2: You're not finished yet? Why did you go there? Who are you? Bruce? I am God? Bingo Yazi?
Speaker 3: Is that your final answer?
Speaker 2: Our service has God bing ding ding ding ding ding ding ding.
Speaker 3: Well, it was nice to meet you.
Speaker 1: God.
Speaker 3: Thank you for the Grand Canyon and good luck with the apocalypse.
Speaker 2: You're listening to the Dennis Prager Show, and this is the Ultimate Issues hour. We talk about some great issue of life. The great issue of life this hour is randomness, luck and everything related to that, and it is it is. There is one question I will tell you now that is not answer. That is simply a matter of faith. And I respect both positions equally as it happens. And I'm talking about, obviously in this arena, those who do believe in God, and that is God directs everything or God allows randomness to take place. I respect both positions equally, and I am comfortable with both and uncomfortable with both. So just just know that that's one issue. It's an issue that we may discuss later on in the hour, But right now, I have a professor at cal Tech, California. What is the actual California Instute of Technology. You see, it's so funny you say cal Tech so much and you forget it. It actually stands. It's probably that an MIT. They are the most distinguished technology or technological universities in the United States, if not the world. One on the East coast, one on the West coast. He's a professor who has his PhD in physics from Berkeley. Leonard Laudenell and he is he teaches randomness. He teaches about randomness to future scientists at cal Tech. This book was on the New York Times bestseller list and is now number four on the Business best Sellers. Which is interesting that it would be a business bestseller. I think doctor Mlauddenew I must say we have him in studio and the book is titled The Drunkards Walk, How Randomness Rules our lives and Dr Laddinew pleasure to have you on.
Speaker 3: The Dennis Prager Show. Great to be here.
Speaker 2: Now let me first deal with some definitions and then we'll talk about the philosophy of all this, because we use these terms all the time. And then when I was looking through your book, I realized, by golly, I really don't know exactly what or I thought I knew exactly what I meant. If I'm told Dennis daily exercise will reduce the risk of a cardio incident by twenty six percent.
Speaker 3: Right right?
Speaker 2: What does that mean?
Speaker 4: Well, that means that if you look at a large number of people who are in your situation, and you look at two groups, one of them who do the exercise and one of them who don't. Then the people who do the exercise have been found to have that much many fewer heart attacks.
Speaker 2: Okay, so fine, then, so compared to those who don't do it. Okay, that's what I thought it meant. But looking through your book, you said, sometimes it's not quite as clear as we think it is, these statements of percentage less likely or more likely.
Speaker 3: Well, that's true. You have to look at the studies.
Speaker 4: If it's a medical study, one would hope that they did a good study and that there were enough people in the study, because when you say twenty six percent us, it means that you sample to a certain numbers.
Speaker 2: Okay, you're right, you're right. Then I'll tell you where you raised it that I'd love you to deal with. Okay, what are the odds against my taking two dice? And because you deal with this and rolling a snake eyes twice in a row, that is a two ones.
Speaker 4: Well, the odds of rolling one one is one and six and the odds of rolling another one is also one in six. So the odds of rolling two in a row are one in thirty six. And the way you could look at that is there are thirty six possible combinations when you roll to die two dice, and they're all equally probable, given that the dice are fair.
Speaker 3: If the dice are fair, and.
Speaker 4: If you want to talk philosophically, that could be an assumption that we might want to question. But if you assume that the dice are fair, there are thirty six different possibilities, each equally probable, and one only one of them is two ones.
Speaker 2: Right. Okay, fine, but you point out, I believe it's probably not going to happen if I roll thirty six.
Speaker 4: Times, right, Well, that's the deeper question. Well, there's two questions there. Okay, If you if you roll it a small number of times, the chances are that that that the results that you achieve are not going to reflect the actual underlying probabilities. And that is a big issue. That a big issue in interpreting life and the world around us, not just in throwing dice. Take a simpler example, for instance, suppose that you have a sixty percent chance of success in some venture, that a company has sixty percent chance of success, or you have a sixty percent chance of success.
Speaker 3: However you define that and.
Speaker 4: Suppose that you take five shots at it, you would think if your results were to reflect the underlying probabilities precisely that you would get three out of five successes, because that that's sixty percent of five. But in reality, when you do the math, you find out that the chances are only one out of three that you'll have that you'll have.
Speaker 3: Sixty percent or three out of five successes.
Speaker 4: If your underlying probability is sixty per the chances are two thirds that your results in five tries will not reflect that. And there's a one in ten chance, in fact, that one inten chance that you have five success or five failures in a row.
Speaker 2: So why would we even say it's a sixty percent chance.
Speaker 4: Well, it's meaningful if you have a larger number of success of ries like the dice. Like the dice you have to have. See, there's something in mathematics called the law of large numbers, which says that if you do it enough, and the chances are very great that your results will reflect the underlying probabilities. One mistake that people make is what psychologists call the law of small numbers, which is not a law at all, So it's kind of a bad term, but it's a harcastic term, and what it means is they apply the law of.
Speaker 3: Large numbers to small numbers, and they can't be you can't be.
Speaker 4: So if you look at the Fortune five hundred, if every company was equal, and every company had a sixty percent chance of success in a given year, and you look at the track records over five years, you would find fifty companies with either five straight good or bad years, even though everyone had identical sixty percent chance of success. Will need to understand that in that real we don't often have samples of hundreds where we can write exactly that.
Speaker 2: And let me explain this in layman's terms, and tell me if I'm right, And that is those of you who have played blackjack at a casino, say in Vegas, and there there are rules in blackjack that are based on numbers. In other words, if the if the the dealer is showing a ten or a picture card, same thing, and you have a five, you should you should think what are you supposed to get hit? Exactly, But if they're showing a five or a runder and you're showing something, you shouldn't take a hit away. But still people will draw on a fifteen when they shouldn't, and they'll get a six, and they're they're terrific twenty one because it interesting well, and the reason is because it's small numbers, which then the casino tries to undo by having six decks.
Speaker 4: Right, yeah, they try, so you can't count, So you can't count, So you can't count because the odds change as cars are revealed.
Speaker 2: Exactly. So at what point when we say, you said, back to the dice, it's a one in thirty six chance that I will do two ones in a row? Correct? Is that what you said? Okay? Now, at what point is that iron clad in the billions? How many roles will make that an iron clad fact? Or is there never such a thing?
Speaker 4: Oh, there's never such Well what do you mean by iron clad facts? In other words, that you will throw that that that that you have exactly went out of six?
Speaker 3: Yes, so that's correct.
Speaker 2: Never an iron clad fact, never, no matter how big the number.
Speaker 3: That's right. So what it becomes the chance? The chance. Here's the way the law works.
Speaker 4: If you tell me how if you say that that the probability is one in thirty six, yeah, then the law works this way. You tell me what your error allowed air is away.
Speaker 3: From one in thirty six? Is it one in thirty six?
Speaker 4: Point one or one in thirty six point oh one or okay plus or minus point oh one?
Speaker 2: Okay, what is that?
Speaker 4: Then I can and then I can tell you, and you have to also tell me how certain you want to be that you're going to get within that era of one.
Speaker 2: Right, I'll even make it broader thirty five, thirty six or thirty seven.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well, I would have to do a calculation, which I think Boorre your your listener, It.
Speaker 2: Would, it would. But but is there if you think about the.
Speaker 4: Coin tosses, for instance, it's you need hundreds or a thousand, depending on how much margin of error you want and how probable you want to be of getting within that margin of error. So in the in the in the in the in the coin toss example, I gave you with sixty percent, depending on whether you want to have, let's say, ninety five percent certainty that you're within three percent of sixty percent, or do you want ninety nine percent certainty that you're within one percent of.
Speaker 3: You know the way these things.
Speaker 4: But in general, in that example, you would probably want hundreds at least exactly.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 4: So, and in life we don't normally give for somebody else one hundred years right.
Speaker 3: What about game?
Speaker 2: I'm doing a coin toss with you. I just got three tails in a row. Is there anything in the universe that would make it less likely that the fourth one is a tail? Answer?
Speaker 3: Let me come back.
Speaker 2: We got to take a break, and then I want to ask the big stuff. How does this play out in our lives? Drunk drivers, cancer, et cetera. The book is The Drunkard's Walk. Professor Leonard Bladenow. This is the Ultimate Issues Hour on the Dennis Prager Show.
Speaker 1: This episode of Timeless Wisdom will continue right after this. Now back to more of Dennis Prager's Timeless Wisdom.
Speaker 2: Prager. It is the Ultimate Issues Hour. The subject is the randomness of life, probability, randomness, luck. But first we're establishing our parameters about what it even means. What does it mean that there's a fifty percent chance? What do we even understand that sort of stuff? And there's a best selling book out on that called The Drunkard's Walk, How Randomness Rules Our Lives? Leonard Mladenow or Maladenow mL od that's the Malod I now in l He is a He teaches at cal Tech California Institute of technology and has a PhD in physics. Okay, doctor Maladden, Now let's do a real life a situation. Then go to the great some of the great philosophic questions, because you have some stories there from your parents' lives which are riveting. But let's talk about sports for a moment. In a world series, the winner is the team that wins four games first, four out of seven. It's called obviously. It is said though, among baseball, basketball, hockey, football connoisseurs, that the winner is not necessarily the best team because pretty much any team can beat any pro team can beat any other pro team on any given day. That's what they always say. So does do your statistics of randomness and probability support that statement that in a four out of seven series the best team doesn't have all that much more likelihood? You have to play a lot more than seven games for it to play out.
Speaker 3: Yes.
Speaker 4: Well, first we have to recognize that in sports is a good orient to test these ideas because it's controlled, there are set rules, and the statistics are publicly available. But in sports there are many random factors depending on the sport. But if there weren't random factors, and any time one team teamMy play team B. You'd have the same result. Teammate would win every time, but they don't because there are random factors, which can be anything from someone not feeling well to the wind blowing the wrong way or different things. But you let's say that we took a team, and let's take baseball, and that team A had A was better than team B. Let's say their their theoretical advantage was fifty five percent to forty five so if they played a zillion games, they would tend to win fifty five percent of them. Now they play a seven game series and best of seven wins, Well, if you do the calculation, then you'll find that the chances are about forty percent that the lesser team in that case will win the seventh best of seven series.
Speaker 2: So even in seven games, game.
Speaker 3: Is almost a toss up.
Speaker 2: And oh wait, oh, you consider forty percent toss up.
Speaker 4: Well, it's forty versus sixty, so the superior team will win more often. But certainly I wouldn't bet my life on even car of.
Speaker 2: Course, but wait, if they played one thousand games.
Speaker 4: Well, so here's the question is and that we were talking before about when you can use a law of large numbers. Let's say you wanted to lower the percentage in this case of the lower of the lesser team winning with the four or seven series winning the best of something series, how many games do you have to play? If you're willing to accept a twenty five percent chance of the lesser team winning, then you have to play the best of forty game series. Oh and if you want to have what they call statistical significance, there's only a five percent chance the lesser team will win. In this case, you'd have to play a two hundred and sixty nine games.
Speaker 2: It does support the theory that seven games is an advantage for the worst team.
Speaker 4: Seven games gives them a shot, right, yes, it might allow better shot. As in most of life, as I keep saying, you don't really play, you have enough opportunities to really see what's going on. You know, it's almost two baseball seasons or one and a half or several basketball seasons to really see what's going on. Of course, different games are different backs you might want to factor in home court advantagees were cimplified.
Speaker 2: Wait, I want to remember that. That is fascinating A Okay, I get it, I really do get it. Two hundred and sixty nine games would have to be played in order to ensure that you got what should be the chances of the worst team winning.
Speaker 4: Well, if one team is better than the other by fifty five to forty five, I get you where there usually are pretty close.
Speaker 3: That's right.
Speaker 4: But if you want to minimize, if you want to have the chances being only one out of twenty or five percent that the lesser team will win, you have to play two.
Speaker 2: I understand the sixty nine right right, I understand now. To make it clear to folks out there, if the team is much better than another team, let's say the first place team and the last place team played a World Series, you wouldn't need two hundred less.
Speaker 3: That's it. You have to do.
Speaker 2: The calcultation ends on what the so that's so. So there are a lot of a lot of factors, all right. Now, Obviously we try to apply this to our lives. Where where does this apply? In other words, if somebody, unfortunately, and it makes me very angry to even say this, will be hit by a drunk driver today on some highway in America, that you view that as utterly random from.
Speaker 4: The point of view of the person who was hit. Yes, it is, I would viewed as a random event in the sense that it's unpredictable, and all you can say when you leave the house is what your probabilities are of getting hit. There's no deterministic factor unless you're the one drinking.
Speaker 2: Yes, exactly, exactly now, The only the only balance in view would be that there was a divine will that you be hit that day, right, I mean there was, There is no other There's no third possibility. There's divine will that you be hit there, or there is randomness now and now the problem is that a lot of religious people feel that God and randomness can coexist. I don't happen to agree with that, but I, as I said earlier, I respect that view, but I don't happen to agree with that. I think that God made a world where you can be hit by a drunk driver, and God didn't will it now? And I know you're not theologically that's not your area. But but is that a fair statement? There is no other possibility?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 4: Either was what the other possibility would be that you that you have some control over the situation or the other the drunk which I don't feel that you do yeah.
Speaker 2: A lot of people like to believe that positive thinking will make sure that no, exactly.
Speaker 4: And it's an interesting illustration because what it shows is that very small see, our lives are guided not just by our abilities and our efforts, but also by random factors that happen. And it's those factors and our reactions to them that govern a lot of our lives. And in this case, this is an example where a very small random factor like having an extra cup of coffee could save your life and you'd never know it, because you will not know that you would have been hit had you left a minute earlier. Yes, of course, and sometimes something happens.
Speaker 2: But you yeah, or you could have the same cup of coffee and it causes.
Speaker 3: You cause me to be hit.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And and and when you look back at your lives, there are many areas where you can identify relatively well completely unrelated events that changed your life completely. I mean, in my life that's happened. But in the book, I tend to focus more on people that are more interesting than I. And for instance, Bruce Willis is one example I give. And he was a struggling actor, not a complete unknown, so people had looked at him just no one picked him out and said you're the man.
Speaker 3: He was in New York tending.
Speaker 4: Bar on and off, being an off Broadway plays and whatnot. And then one one summer he decided to, depending on which story you believe, to visit his girlfriend in Los Angeles, or if you believe another version, to go see the eighty four Olympics. And he came out to Los Angeles and an agent recommended that he go and try out for this TV show that they were casting. And the TV show already had a favorite. But he showed up there and of the three decision makers, two out of three didn't like him, and the other one did.
Speaker 2: All right, you'll tell us the rest when we come back.
Speaker 3: We'll take your calls. We got a full board already.
Speaker 2: One eight Prager seven seven six.
Speaker 1: This episode of Timeless Wisdom continue right after this. Now back to more of Dennis Prager's Timeless Wisdom.
Speaker 2: The subject of this Ultimate Issues hour is randomness. How randomness rules our lives? Is the book which is titled The Drunkard's Walk by Leonard Mladenow, and it's up at Praguer Radio dot com. At the blog he teaches exactly this subject. Doctor Vladenell at Caltech, and you were telling the story about Bruce Willis, who coincidentally turned out to come out to Los Angeles.
Speaker 3: Where he had no.
Speaker 2: Career at the time in acting, and somebody suggested the audition. Two out of the three judges of the audition were not in favor of him.
Speaker 4: Go on, well, I should say he had some career, but not a hugely successful Okay, he was still bar attending bar in New York. And well, two out of three did not recognize that he would be a great star. The other one ended up convincing the other two and they did hire him. And then the show went on the air and was not a great success actually, and it went on mid season. It's called Moonlighting that people may remember. And in the second season it just took off and made him a big star. And then the Diehard series came in and the rest is history. But the point of that story is two points. One is that despite all our planning and all our efforts and trying very hard to maximize our success, quite often it's really random events that have a huge effect on us. And the other thing is that even though events always look clear in hindsight, and if you look at Bruce Willis, now you'll say star, charisma, genius, whatever. He's had a huge career that's only clear in hindsight, and it wasn't clear before had plenty of people had seen him, and no one had said, this man is a certain star, this man has all this career when we have to hire him. And to take it away from that, I talk about in the Drunkards walk about Pearl Harbor nine to eleven other examples where people have looked in hindsight and saw that things looked very clear, and that you could trace a series of events and say one event A cluse, B, colass c. And therefore we should have known. But the point is that there are often many different options that could have happened between A and B, or between B and C. And when you're back at A and your face with this tree of a million options, it's not all that clear which one is going to happen. It's only clear after it happens and you trace it backwards. So that's that's another importsison.
Speaker 2: So in governing your own life based on your expertise in random statistics, et cetera, in governing your own life, because I could say, it governs a lot of my thinking. For example, I wear a seat belt every time I drive. I've read the data, and they strike me is so persuasive that in case of an accident, injury or death, so much lesson.
Speaker 3: Right. It's a good example.
Speaker 4: But you can also find people who tell you that they only live through their accent because of some they did not wear.
Speaker 3: That is right, right.
Speaker 2: I always use that as an example of how a generalization is true even though they were.
Speaker 4: And that's what happens when there's probability is involved. So what you're doing when you're putting on the seatbelt is increasing your probability of surviving an accident, right, Maybe a case where.
Speaker 2: Where it will guarantee my death.
Speaker 4: Yes, And in life I'm not saying it's very important for me to say that. I'm not saying that ability doesn't matter and that effort doesn't matter. What I'm saying is there's also another component, of course, if you have a bunch of failures. For instance, if you're JK. Rowling and your your book is rejected nine times, don't give up her book first. Harry Potter was rejected nine times. John Grisham's A Time to kill was rejected over twenty times. There is a million stars. I have the diar of Anne Frank. The manuscript was sent to a New York publisher for translation before it as can't come out, and it was rejected and it was described as a petty another petty example of teenage family. Yea, all these things can happen. It doesn't mean that they're true. It doesn't mean you should take it to heart. One of the lessons of the book is to get many at bats, many opportunities, because your chances are almost never one percent of success, and it may be small at the endeavor you're trying, but if you keep trying, the chances are very great that something will happen for you. And if you're a great success, if you're on the bestseller list, which I'm happy to be, you have to recognize that a lot of that was luck.
Speaker 3: Well. You shouldn't get arrogant about it.
Speaker 2: That's right, that's it's it's humbling. It's humbling, listen. I have talked about this with regard to marriage. I was just with a couple married forty nine years. They married after four four days fifty years ago. What they mad and I said, so it's obvious. I said, the secret to your great marriage's luck. They said entirely, entirely, and that is that is very very people should work on their marriages, obviously, but the luck in every area of life. We're going to take your calls when we come back. Then he has a you have very very powerful story about your parents. I want you to tell one eighth Prager seven seven six, Hi, everybody, the ultimate issues our Dennis Prager here and I am with doctor Leonard Mludnow. He is teaches a cal Tech teaches randomness. His book is exactly about that. It's called The Drunkard's Walk. How randomness rules are alives? And I happen to agree with just about everything here. And I think the rational person maximizes odds as much as possible. That's why I wear a seat belt, even though I acknowledged that there would be occasions in a crash where in fact, wearing a seat belt would be bad. But in the vast majary of cases, it's a good thing. You maximize your odds. That that's that's what we do. But but it but it doesn't dictate what will happen to you. The odds don't dictate anything. They are just what they are, and we try we try to live accordingly. And let's go to some of your calls. One eight Prager seven seven six in Conroe, Texas. It's Kenneth. Hi, Kenneth Urn with Dennis Prager and doctor Malaudenelle.
Speaker 5: Hi. Guys, good evening.
Speaker 1: Hi.
Speaker 5: I have a challenge for the doctor. In my theory, randomness is actually a misunderstanding or lack of understanding of the events that are occurring. For instance, in his dice throwing analogy, if we knew the force and the angle which was they were being thrown, the spin on the dice, and the surface on which they were landing, we could guarantee every time that we would know without some of the dice. Is it not correct?
Speaker 3: You're absolutely correct?
Speaker 2: In fact, wait wait, that's that's very good, Very good, Kenneth. So you're you're saying, and then of course we're going to have your response. So I just want to understand your saying there it's contextual in every instance.
Speaker 3: No, it's not.
Speaker 2: That's what he's saying. I'm saying what he's saying, Kenneth, that there's never.
Speaker 3: Kenneth, do you know about quantum mechanics.
Speaker 5: Well, I know that there's a great lack of understanding about the way quantum mechanics works.
Speaker 4: Yes, sir, Actually I would say that there is a pretty good understanding of it.
Speaker 3: But we don't need to get into physics here.
Speaker 4: But I I do talk in the book a little bit about a discussion I had with a fellow who was very religious who had a hard time accepting that there.
Speaker 3: Was any randomness in the world.
Speaker 4: And right, and and what Kenneth is saying is absolutely true, that it is contextual. And I was going to say that there was some people built a machine for inst that could flip a coin.
Speaker 3: And gets the same heads or tails every time.
Speaker 4: So when we say that they did they build such Yeah, I actually I have a friend who claims that he knows someone who can actually do that with his thumb. So when we say something is random, what we mean is is that we can only describe the possible results using probabilities and not and not exactly determine with them. And that depends on our knowledge. Okay, so if you did have completely controlled conditions, you can take something that is random. When you don't have controlled conditions, and it's not all right, with a drunk driver. If you that's what I was driver, Kenneth, how much they were drinking, where they were going, you could predict things.
Speaker 2: Kenneth, you will not acknowledge that if you were hit by a drunk driver today, that would have been a random act as far as your life is concerned, as.
Speaker 5: Far as my life is concerned, and if you're correct, because I don't have a control over every human being on the face of the planet and their consumption of alcohol.
Speaker 3: So that's right. So when we say random this we mean contexture.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 4: The only exception is that physicists have found that on a on a the small scale level, nature is ruled by something called quantum theory. And quantum theory this is what Einstein's objection was to it. Quantum theory has an inherent and unavoidable random this in it, and it's not due to a lack of our knowledge.
Speaker 3: It's it's just part of nature.
Speaker 2: So if I'm just curious now to get to it, thank you, Kenneth. He's the sort of caller that makes me proud of my listeners. A question to you, who is not a theist, have you ever read, to your satisfaction any any number any likelihood of intelligent life evolving being created, I guess I'll use the word just existing. The odds against us being around Do you do you have any number in your mind?
Speaker 3: No, I've read many different numbers.
Speaker 2: Actually, okay, but whoever writes about it, the odds are tremendously against us being here.
Speaker 4: Right, But we might have to also take those odds with the grain of salt, because people don't really know the exact mechanisms of evolution and how or even of planetary development to be able to say how unlikely a.
Speaker 2: Base is based on what we now know, all right, I can't say on what we may know one day based on what we now know. The odds are extraordinarily small or large, I guess. But on the other hand, there are hundreds of billions of stars in our Yes, you're right, but with one hundred billion stars and one hundred billion galaxies, the chance that that bach will come out strikes me as infinitesimally small. And that would be that's one of my chief arguments for a god that at some point forget evolution questions and intelligent design questions. Just the odds question I'm asking you was now as a professor, as it was as a teacher, as a PhD, not as a believer or non believer. Is that is that not an argument for God? If the odds are so small or so large, I don't know how you put it in your language.
Speaker 4: Well, in a sense, it doesn't matter how I mean that there are other civilizations or that that we are here, that we are here, It doesn't really matter how how small the odds are, because if the odds are not zero, right, then there will be an intelligent civilization somewhere and and and they already being one.
Speaker 2: What if the odds are greater than the number of stars.
Speaker 4: If the odds of intelligent life are not zero, then the point is that if it's it doesn't matter if there there still could be an intelligence. I agree, civilization being there would naturally have more information that they have to take into account with the odds.
Speaker 2: But just as you said, there have to be a certain number of baseball games played for the better team to inevitably suppose it.
Speaker 3: That's a good example.
Speaker 4: Suppose the team A has a one in one thousand chance of beating Team B. Yeah, but you're then, but now we're looking, since we're already here, the series has been played, and we're saying the team a one.
Speaker 3: So what point is it to say that the.
Speaker 4: Teammate had one in one thousand chance of winning the series. We know that they won, so the odds.
Speaker 2: It's right, But I don't think that there are enough games to have bach come out of it. That's all or even or even you were all right, right, We're going to take more calls when we come back.
Speaker 1: This episode of Timeless Wisdom will continue right after this. Now back to more of Dennis Prager's Timeless Wisdom.
Speaker 2: Hi everybody, Dennis Prager here the final segment of a very fast moving hour. I must say I salute my guest Leonard modenew M l O D I. Now anyway, it's up at Praeger Radio dot com at the blog. The book is The Drunkard's Walk. I like that name, by the way, Thank you. How Randomness Rules Our Lives, which I think people would remember more readily than the title, But it's a good title. And he teaches at cal Tech and we're talking about randomness in life. I will did we do Alan? Did we do an Ultimate Issues hour on luck in God? We did? It's probably worth doing another time.
Speaker 3: As well.
Speaker 2: It's such a big deal that I want to comfort people on this matter. They really feel it's one or the other, and it's not. It's I don't think, I know, it's not. It's not a matter of you know, I feel you have a very powerful random or luck story with regard to your father who was in the Holocaust. Why don't you tell that?
Speaker 4: Well, my father was a resistance fighter in Poland during the war and then ended up in book Involved.
Speaker 2: Which is one of the German concentration.
Speaker 4: Camps, and somehow when he was there, he had the opportunity to steal a loaf of bread and he was starving. He was when he was liberated. Finally he was about eighty pounds and the Nazis noticed that this loaf of bread had been stolen, and they lined up everyone who had access to it in a row, and they said that they wanted the person who stole the bread to step forward, and nobody stepped.
Speaker 3: Forward or they would kill Well, nobody.
Speaker 4: Stepped forward, and then they said that, okay, we're going to start at this end and we're going to just shoot all of you until the person either steps forward or you're all dead. And so my father told me that he figured everyone was going to die anyway, or he would die anyway. So he stepped forward and confessed to taking the loaf of bread, and he thought that they would immediately kill him, and instead they gave him a job as an assistant in the bakery, which is a completely random, unpredictable event, and it just I mean, this is the way the concentration camps were, according to the stories my father told, I could shoot you for looking at them the wrong way, or they could do this. And you know, if they had shot him, of course I wouldn't be here. And that's just one of many incidents in happening.
Speaker 2: Nor your kids, which is why murder is the worst crime, because you have not only killed that person, you have killed all the generations that would have come. There's a biblical basis for that, by the way, because when Cain kills Abel, God says to Cain, the bloods of your brother are crying out, not the blood and because of all the bloodline that would that has been killed anyway, this has been absolutely irriveting to me. The whole notion of randomness in life, folks, is so powerful. I'll tell you one thing, whether you're a believer or not. One thing that is critical is that this humbles us. If things go well in your life, I'm sure you may have contributed. But no matter how wonderful your kids, or your marriage, or your parents, or your work or your.
Speaker 3: Career, there's been a lot of luck.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Leondar lud Now.
Speaker 3: Thank you tomorrow.
Speaker 1: On Timeless Wisdom with Dennis Prager.
Speaker 2: As a rule, as a rule, there are many exceptions to this rule, but as a rule, you get treated back the way you treat people, and that will increase your happiness by and large. If you treat people decently, if you will be treated decently, and if you think that you are going through life getting shafted by everybody, there is something probably a little wrong in your perception.
Speaker 1: This has been Timeless Wisdom with Dennis Prager. Visit dennispragger dot com for thousands of hours of Dennis's lectures, courses, and classic radio programs, and to purchase Dennis Prager's Rational Bibles.