Speaker 1: Life audio on today's episode of Timeless Wisdom.
Speaker 2: Raising children is the ultimate issue of this particular hour, and specifically specifically the issue of character. Uber alas character above all that in setting priorities for how we raise our children, character has to be number one. And for very very very many parents, goodwilled and decent people, very often character is not number one in the way they raise their children.
Speaker 1: That's coming up on Timeless Wisdom. But Dennis Prager, Welcome to Timeless Wisdom with Dennis Prager. Here thousands of hours of Dennis's lectures, courses in classic radio programs, and to purchase Dennis Prager's Rational Bibles, go to Dennisprager dot com.
Speaker 2: To be or not to be? That is the question?
Speaker 3: Where was God?
Speaker 2: Isn't God supposed to be good?
Speaker 4: This need supposed to love us? Does God want us to suffer ten years?
Speaker 2: You're not finished yet? Why did you go there? Who are you?
Speaker 1: Bruce?
Speaker 2: I am God? Bingo yazi?
Speaker 5: Is that your final answer?
Speaker 6: Our surveyce has God bing ding dinging ding ding ding ding.
Speaker 7: Well, it was nice to meet you God, Thank you for the Grand Canyon, and good luck with the apocalypse.
Speaker 2: Dennis Prager here, This is the Ultimate Issues hour, every hour, every hour, it's auspicious opening. Every week at this hour, I talk to you about some great issue of life, and it's called the Ultimate Issues Hour. Pleasure to be with you again. I'm Dennis Prager, and thank you for being with me. Raising children is the ultimate issue of this particular hour, and specifically, specifically the issue of character uber alas character above all that in setting priorities for how we raise our children, character has to be number one. And for very very very many parents, goodwilled and decent people, very often character is not number one in the way they raise their children. And I will give you example after example where we will place success above character. We will place feeling good about themselves above character. We will place being healthy above character. We will place being popular above character. Here is a test, by the way that you might want to engage in with your child, and it's if you're child is five or your child is fifty, it's still worth doing. Here goes, what do you think Ask your child, whether five anywhere between five and fifty. What do you think I your mom or I your dad most want you to be? You have to get the language perfectly down, folks, otherwise it doesn't work. What do you think I most want you to be? Not what do you most want to be? No? No, no, no, no no new. What do you think I most want you to be? Happy? Smart, successful, good? And then you will learn whether goodness has been the priority. Now you know how much emphasis I place on happiness. In fact, the ultimate issue is our idea derived from the success of my Happiness Hour, which I have every week and have had for about ten years. I place enormous importance on being happy. Happy people make the world better, not on having pleasure. Pleasure is not the same as happiness, but that's another subject. Now I'm talking here about being good. That's the number one thing we have to be in life is to be good. And this hour I argue that in raising children, goodness, being a good person, treating others decently, not being a bully, not picking on, being honest, not cheating on tests, being a good and decent purpose a person are not the priorities in raising children. Other things are feeling good about oneself in the self esteem movement, and doing well in school. Those are things that animate much of the upbringing of our children. Has another question to ask your child, but this time it's if actually you could ask your child has to be in high school for this high school or older? Do you think I would be more upset if you cheated on a test and got into a prestigious university thanks to that, or didn't cheat and never got accepted to a good to what I consider to be a good college. Which do you think would upset me your father or upset me your mother more? If you cheated but you got into a great university, or you never cheated and didn't go to a great university, which would upset me more? The cheating or the not getting into a great college. Now, this started this issue which I have raised at different times in different ways and coalescing now into this ultimate Issues. Hour began with a question that I will post to you. To those of you raising, let us say, a teenager, not let us say, for those of you raising a teenager, would you rather your child cheated on tests or smoked cigarettes? Okay, that's my question for you. One eight prager seven seven six one eight p r A g e Er seven seven six. Now I always get not always, I often get the answer, Well, that's apples, and that's apples and oranges. Yes, I admit it's apples and oranges. That is correct. So I'm asking you which do you prefer, apples or oranges? I fully acknowledge its apples and oranges. I'm not asking would you prefer your child cheat on tests or not cheat on tests? I know your answer, except in the case of the getting into a great college issue. But I'm asking here what what would you rather or which would upset you more? If your child cheated on tests or smoked? Then I'm talking marijuana, smoke, tobacco one eight prager seven seven six one eight p R A g E R seven seven six. People get very uncomfortable. I have tried this, and people get very I get hate mail. I've gotten hate mail on this this I wrote about it a long time ago. People are get get very annoyed with me with this question. I don't find the question annoying in the least to me. There's no question I rather my teenager smoked than and didn't cheat, than cheat and didn't smoke. There's no question the smoking may or may not stop. Uh and uh and uh. Even if not, then there is a possibility that much later on in life he or she will suffer health health problems as a result, but certainly not now. I'll but if I don't register my my powerful, powerful disapproval of the of the cheating, then then the character is being that is being formed is the most troubling thing to me. So I'm very clear about it. Many, many wonderful, decent people have smoked, but if a non smoker cheats, that's that's bad news, very bad news. So my children, I'm not saying that I that I am a perfect parent. I'm far, far, far from it. I've learned a lot in parenthood through mistakes that I've made, but it's been no question to my children what is most important to me their character? And you may have a different priority. Fine, I'm here for clarity, and a lot of parents are not are not fully clear about what messages they are sending to their child, and that's why you need to prioritize for yourself what is most important. For those of you who answer on this question, well, I don't want my child to smoke, and I don't want my child to cheat. That's fine. I didn't ask you whether you want your child to smoke. I asked you which would trouble you more? And if you say equally. Then that's a statement too, that health issues and character issues are identical to you. All right, So that and that too is a is an important aspect of the way in which we raise our children. That's why this is an ultimate issue, because the way we raise our children is the way the future of any society will be. And I strongly believe that for many children, character is not integrity, honesty, decency, goodness is not the priority one eight Frager seven seven six, And we go to Grand Prairie, California and Nancy, Hello, Nancy, Dennis Prager.
Speaker 8: Hi, Dennis Prager. I'm nice speaking with you. Actually, you know what, I totally agree with you. I would rather my child smoke than be dishonest. I've told him that his word is the only thing in the world that he owns. And when he gives his word and that's to be honest and truthful, then I mean he's he is controlling his life. When he lies, he's not, so, of course I don't want him to smoke either, Yes.
Speaker 2: Yes, exactly, absolutely all right, Well, congratulations to you. I have no doubt that that affects the way your child will will grow up in the type of person that the child will be as an adult. Paul and Woodland Hills, California. Dennis Prager.
Speaker 4: Hi, Dennis, it's Paul. I just wanted to let you know how much impacted my life with my own children about seven or eight years ago, and my daughter's going to school here in Los Angeles, in public school. The emphasis whenever I would go to whenever I would go to a dinner party or something, everybody would talk about for kids, and they all wanted me to tell me that their kid was accepted into this magnet program that's right, programs. And I sat back and I turned to this one man I remember, and I said, you know, I said, that's really great, how smart.
Speaker 2: Your kid is.
Speaker 4: But I'm really interested is you're a child, a good person.
Speaker 2: God bless you, And I guess God bless me if that's what I brought to you. We re turning a moment. I will repeat the questions you should ask your kids.
Speaker 1: This episode of Timeless Wisdom will continue right after this. Now back to more of Dennis Praguer's Timeless Wisdom.
Speaker 2: Hi, everybody, Dennis Praguer here. This is the ultimate issues hour, and one ultimate issue was certainly, how do we raise our children, and I'm focusing in on the issue of emphasizing character goodness above everything else, above their being happy above and you know how important, how much importance I place on happiness above their being smart, above their being successful. And I will repeat the question that I suggest that you ask your child whether five or fifty, during the course of this hour, and or at least twice, at least once or twice. But I have asked the question. I have asked the question to give an example, if you have a teenager, would you rather your teenager cheat on tests or smoke as an example of you setting for your own self your priorities. And we go to Chicago and Greg Chicago, Greg, Dennis Prager. Heigh, Okay, well, thanks for calling good.
Speaker 6: I would definitely think that the cheating is worse than smoking. And it's funny. I'm reading a book right now about Ben Hogan. It's called American Here and think about Ben Hogan. He was, you know, very much a purist, very honest, hardworking, you know, very dedicated, but he smoked, and he smoked a lot. And it's just, you know, I think the character flaw is a much more important thing to deal with with your children. You know, smoking is something that you can address. Obviously you don't want him to do it, but you can address that. But if they have character flaws, that's just something that you really have to deal with right at the beginning.
Speaker 2: Yep, well said my friend. I appreciate that. Eric in Honolulu Dennis Prager.
Speaker 9: High, Hey, well, I just want to say that, you know, I recently pulled my two of my poor children out of public school so I could have a little more emphasis on their lives.
Speaker 2: And the upbringing. You mean you mean to homeschool, then homeschool them?
Speaker 10: Yes, yeah, Okay, go on and learning about homeschooling and about the importance of homeschooling. One of the biggest features of that is being able to instill not just religion, but character building that they can't do in public schools. And as far as your question earlier about the cheating or smoking, I would have to say emphatically that cheating would be the larger of two flaws, because if you build the character of a child of a person, then their self esteem and their self awareness is going to go along with that. And the smoking issue, if it were an issue, would dissolve sooner or later.
Speaker 2: Anyway, So how do you deal with the cognitive dissonance of knowing? I assume you feel that I have at least an acceptable level of integrity talking about me, Dennis. Okay, but I smoke a cigar every day?
Speaker 11: Okay.
Speaker 2: Do you feel it's a character flaw and I'm not being insulted, don't worry about it. I want to understand how it sounds to me as if you said that character there is number one, and character will then take care of the smoking issue, because if you're a good character, you won't smoke.
Speaker 10: Well in as much as a self awareness of health and what you consider is good for your body. Everyone has their release, Everyone has their their way of dealing with stress. Some people smoke, some people drink, some people do different things, and within moderation, as long as it relieves the damage and danger of stress, then it is in the end helpful.
Speaker 2: Okay, well said, Okay, all right, I just wanted to make that clear, Eric, Thank you so much. All right, right, pre appreciate your call. Yeah, because that's simply I don't want people to be confused. There were health issues and there were character issues. They're not the same thing. And that's very important. For people to understand. In a in a film that Alan and I made with David Zucker On Goodness, we have a scene where we show two tables at a restaurant, and at one of the tables is a is an unbelievably uh let's see what a guy who's like a model or a woman who's like a model. I don't even remember, but I remember the other table was a very heavy guy. And the very heavy guy treated the waitress beautifully and and left a very nice tip, and the really good looking health fiend basically was it was a demanding, an arrogant person. There there is no connection really between health and character. It's very good to be healthy, and it's and and that's wonderful thing, but it's not a character issue. Are you more likely to be treated well by by a a fit, trim, fit person than than by a fat person? I had The idea is preposterous to me. I have no idea. Who would be kinder under any given or more honest on or any given circumstance. I have no idea. That's part of the reason I raised this on an Ultimate Issues Hour is for you to be clear. You can't raise your children with clarity. If you don't have clarity for you, This is not a criticism. It's true for all of us. If we're not clear about what we think is most important, how can we possibly convey to our children? All right? Steven Rosemond, Minnesota, Dennis Prager, High, Hi, how are you okay? Thank you?
Speaker 5: I guess I would like to assert that I would rather I mean, I am not a parent by any means, but I would rather have my child smoke rather than cheat. I guess I would have a hard time separating waiting with being a character flaw. I mean with with smoking. I feel like it's also a character flaw. That is something that.
Speaker 2: Wait, wait, wait, so which which would you rather your child do? Smoke or cheat?
Speaker 5: I would rather have them cheat.
Speaker 2: Because you said smoke.
Speaker 5: Well, I'm sorry.
Speaker 2: I had a feeling that we were confused. Okay, okay, you rather have your child that's okay, You rather have your child cheat than smoke? Because go on.
Speaker 5: I would rather have them cheat because I feel like that's also a teaching moment and it's it's something that you can work on. Yes, I mean, I'm not condoning either of them. However, smoking, I feel like is also just something that's going to be a lifelong addiction. It's going to be something that they're stuck with. And I would have a hard time separating that as not a character flaw. I mean, they're turned most. I would say a lot of people turn to that, you know, when they're stressed out, and there's other more productive ways that I feel like you can get rid of stress. Yeah, but it's percising or being outside, you know, those sort of things.
Speaker 2: Yeah, of course that's true about about many things. But it's it's it's a health issue. It's why do you call it a character issue? Do you think that everybody who smokes? I mean, I'll use me again. You listen to my show. You must have some respect for me.
Speaker 5: Yep, yep.
Speaker 2: Well, so when you when I publicly acknowledge that I smoke a cigar and a pipe, does that do you feel that well? That's look, it's you know, I wish Dennis didn't because the ultimate health benefit of not is great. But still in all it doesn't it doesn't impact my understanding of his character. Or do you truly feel that that's a character flaw?
Speaker 5: Well, I guess it's a I feel as though it's not respecting yourself as much as one would. And I guess the same could be said for cheating at the same time.
Speaker 2: No, but cheating is not a matter of respecting oneself. Cheating is a matter of hurting everybody else. It's an ethical character issue.
Speaker 5: Well, I guess I'm just gonna have to disagree with that.
Speaker 2: Okay, that's fine, And I'm a character and you know I appreciate disagreement, and you know I only aim for clarity rather than agreement anyway. But all right, there is a man who is twenty three now, and he's not a father, as he points out, but when he's a father, he will emphasize health. In my view, health over character. All right, he has his priorities. That is the question that I am posing to you on this I Ultimate Issues Hour. For me, character trumps every other aspect of a child's growing up.
Speaker 1: This episode of Timeless Wisdom will continue right after this. Now back to more of Dennis Prager's timeless wisdom.
Speaker 2: Dennis Prager. Here this is the hour of the week I call the Ultimate Issues Hour. Every week at this time some great issue of life, And here is the priorities with which we raise our children and is character number one, goodness number one. That to me is clear, and that is what I am emphasizing here. And to give you an idea of some of the conflicts that arise in parents raising of their children. The question of well, is health more important? Is getting into a good school more important? How? How much would you be troubled by your child's cheating on tests if it got them into a great college? And and my question of the hour would you rather your teenager smoked or cheated? And there is one recurring theme here. Well, I guess I should allow you folks to do the recurring theme. But let me get as more as many of your calls as possible. If you've gotten police, stay on. There are very important calls up there. Jesse and Akron Ohio. Hi Jesse, Dennis Prager, how old are you?
Speaker 12: I'm eleven?
Speaker 2: Okay, thank you for calling.
Speaker 1: So.
Speaker 12: My dad thinks that it's more in it would be worse if they cheated on a test, because well, it would affect other kids around us, and it would they would think that it would be all right to cheat.
Speaker 2: Mm hmm. What do you think.
Speaker 12: Well, I think that's pretty much the same too.
Speaker 2: M h Well, that's wonderful. You have a good dad.
Speaker 12: Thanks. And well also my sisters, which one is seventeen and the other is fourteen or fifteen.
Speaker 2: They you're not sure of your other sister's age. You're not sure of your other sister's age. Well, that's okay.
Speaker 1: So they.
Speaker 12: My mom got them a thing for Christmas for smoking, and they actually started.
Speaker 11: To use it.
Speaker 2: And wait, wait wait, your mom got them what for smoking?
Speaker 12: I forgot what it's called.
Speaker 2: But it's just to stop smoking.
Speaker 12: It's an Arabic thing.
Speaker 2: Oh wa hookah?
Speaker 12: Yeah okay, yeah, so well they started it, but when we found out that, we just said stop right now, don't do it anymore. They took him away.
Speaker 2: Well, well, a hookah is not particularly dangerous, yeah, I know, but it's it's probably if it's a substitute for cigarettes, it's particularly good.
Speaker 12: Actually, yeah, but it's still legal until you're eighteen.
Speaker 2: Ah, that part of it. Oops, it's okay, it's all right. Well I can't advocate breaking the lawn radio, but yeah, tell your mom I wouldn't report her.
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay, okay, thank you, thank you, Jesse. I didn't even know what was wrong about well so so so be it. Okay, this is really very important stuff. Lance in San Diego, California high Lands Dennis Prager.
Speaker 13: No, not the child, but the kid, the gentleman. Right before that, I used to feel exactly like him with the you know, thinking that cheating was was not as bad. That is smoking, right, you know.
Speaker 2: Oh, the one who's twenty to twenty three year old. Yeah? And then what happened? When did you change? You know?
Speaker 13: I don't, I don't know. I just I kind of knew you were right, but I didn't feel that way. But what did it for me was I thought, who would I rather marry or date? You know, a smoker or a liar?
Speaker 2: There you go, that's it. That's a great way of posing it.
Speaker 13: When you think about your children.
Speaker 2: That's right. Who would you rather or who? Forgetting even marriage? Who would you rather hire?
Speaker 13: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Somebody who you knew to, who you knew is cheating in school. You're hiring a college student. You want one who's cheating in school, or one you know who doesn't cheat, but who smokes? It would it would?
Speaker 13: The problem I had was with I think already has some of your children. Your immediate impulse is to protect them from all danger naturally and so you you you get hung up on the way, don't one I'm smoking and because it'll don't die answer. But when you break it down and think, like, well, you know, who would I rather marry? And then do I want to raise my children that somebody actually wants to marry them and raise.
Speaker 2: Anyway, smoking doesn't kill any children. It kills it kills adults in later life, right, So so you know, no, No, that's important to remember. It's not like if somebody said, well, would you rather your child slit his wrists or cheat on the desk? I mean, you know, obviously I want a living child I could work on. So so that's important to remember in this question. But well done, Lands, it's exactly right. Who would you rap? Whom would you rather hire? All? Right, you are, you're running a business and trust is essential. Person handles your money. You know somebody cheats or you know somebody smokes. It is inconceivable to me that anybody listening would have would debate that question. One eighth Prager seven to seven the Ultimate Issues Hour on the Dennis Prager Show. Dennis Prager here, this is the Ultimate Issues Hour, and the ultimate issue today is raising children and specifically placing character and goodness as the number one priority in the raising of a child. And that's why I've posed a question which I know is annoying to many, and I do know that, and I don't mean to annoy you, though I do mean to provoke you in this regard to think this through. And would you rather your teenager smoke or cheat? And that is a good question because the question is becomes ultimate ultimate priority, health versus character. And now again, if it's what I prefer that my child swallowed draino or or cheated, Yes, cheated, of course I would answer that because there's a permanent death is permanent if you burn out the esophagus and burn out the stomach with dreno. Of course, I mean, I'm not nuts, But that's not the case with smoking or some other habits like that. So this is a question to help you establish your priorities. Now, I promised you I would repeat a question that I would like you to ask your child, whether your child is five or fifty. That question is what do you think I, your mother or I your father, would rather you be or most want you to be? Again, what do you think I most want you to be? Not what do you most want to be and they are happy, smart, successful, good. It's a very good way to see what you have presented to your child. Baltimore, Marylyn Ron, Hello Ron, Dennis Prager.
Speaker 11: Thank you very much. Okay, I guess for me the issue is ideally, of course, you want the character to be optimized. But in this case, especially with a teenage kid, I guess what would upset me most, because that's the question that would upset me most is which problem would be harder to fix? Now if the kid that depends on the kid, If the kid were the kind of kid who I thought I could fix the problem of cheating a lot easier than I could fix the problem of smoking, I think the smoking would upset me more. But it's still kind of a close call, because I think smoking is a character problem. People who smoke are not you know, are being inconsiderate of others if they smoke in the presence of others, even if they don't smoke in the presence of others, they're putting a burden on the health insurance and the health care system by risking their own health and creating a burden for the health system. So it's a problem. Well, around.
Speaker 2: Yeah. The problem with that there are many I don't consider it a character flaw. So that's one place that we differ. But I'll give you first of all, do you believe that people who eat dessert every day have a character flaw or have a big Mac every day? Is that a character flaw? Would you rather your teenager have a big mac every day or cheap? Well, since obesity, obesity, they say kills as many I'm sorry, we're told that obesity kills as many people as cigarettes.
Speaker 11: Well, if you were to eat that much to the point of becoming obese, then yeah, just as bad as smoking.
Speaker 2: Well, well, you don't become obese immediately and you don't die from smoking until much later in life, so you can't say immediately.
Speaker 11: Well, okay, so.
Speaker 2: I'm asking big mac every day or cheat?
Speaker 11: Well, like I say, depends on which one I think I could six.
Speaker 2: Okay, so let me tell you on that, all right, So let me tell you on even occasional cheater. Let me tell you something. It is unbelievably hard to change character rate. Unbelievably hard.
Speaker 11: I understand, I understand.
Speaker 2: Okay, all right, listen, thank you, I appreciate it's a thoughtful call. Talk about thoughtful calls. Here's a Janine. Janine in Loma Linda. I know you, Janine, and I know you're a very very serious thinker. So go ahead.
Speaker 14: Ah, that's a really nice compliment coming.
Speaker 2: Well, you know I believe that. Go ahead.
Speaker 14: Well, first off, I want to say I would rather my teenager smoke than cheat, no question. But I am a member of a church that believes our body is a temple of God. It's the Seventh Adventist Church, which places some emphasis on health, not the greatest emphasis, certainly. And I would like to know if you think someone littering in a synagogue or someone coming in and chipping away at the foundation of your synagogue every week would be a character issue, because I find this.
Speaker 7: In the right.
Speaker 2: But here is a rare example of where I think that you changed the criteria. Okay, it is there is a huge difference between my body is my temple and my temple is everybody's temple.
Speaker 14: Right, But what if that person what if nobody noticed the what if nobody noticed the littering and it was in a place that uh.
Speaker 2: Well no, but it's still it is still affecting others. Uh. In a in a detrimental way. If you can you.
Speaker 14: Imagine a situation where it might not be No, no, of course not.
Speaker 2: And if it weren't, it's if it's like going through a red light at three am on a rural road, then I don't have a particular problem with it.
Speaker 14: Okay, Well I guess that. Okay, then I think you're consistent.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's one thing I tend to be, maybe wrong.
Speaker 14: But consistently for the Seventh day Adventist Church. Since our bodies are the temple of God, it is it is a desecration.
Speaker 2: To pollutic that that may well be, But I can't believe that a that a an official in your church would say. Folks, if if you have a big mac every day, we consider that the same as if you commit adultery.
Speaker 14: But but you didn't that you're changing the criteria.
Speaker 2: Now, no, I'm not a No, you didn't say the.
Speaker 14: Same you said. Is it a character issue at all? And I think it's a little.
Speaker 2: Character okay, all right, final, Well, all right, because you believe that the body is a temple, yeah, okay, all right, the body, Yeah, the body may be a temple, but that could be taken to very extreme ways. I mean, if a person doesn't work out every day, they're desecrating their body.
Speaker 14: Well, so we take it as a whole if you treat your body healthfully overall, all.
Speaker 2: Right, But even that, even that genine becomes very complex. I'll give you an example, and I thank you as always for your call and for your emails and there all your work. The uh. We are told, and I believe this, that people who have friends live considerably longer than people who who just have acquaintances or or don't have don't have friends or people they're friendly with. We are told that people who go to church every week are healthier. Would that be included? I mean it becomes health then becomes almost a catch all for all issues in life. So if I were child, you know, would you rather your child the smoke than had friends or had no friends and smoke? All right? Final final segment. One aide Praguer seven to seven six priorities and in the raising of children, and the one I advocate is goodness and character overall. We return in a moment.
Speaker 1: This episode of Timeless Wisdom will continue right after this. Now back to more of Dennis Prager's timeless wisdom.
Speaker 2: I am my friends. Dennis Prager here, last segment, final segment of this hour, this Ultimate Issues hour, and you can go to Prager radio dot com and download it because you I think you would love to play it for your kids, or play it for friends, or give it to somebody if whether you agree with me or not, it is a wonderful subject, the clarity of priorities in raising our children and for me. Character Trump's all Trump says, Trump's getting into a good college, Trump's being popular, Trump's being happy, even goodness, Trump's happiness. And you know how much emphasis I place on happiness, And certainly Trump's something like an unhealthful habit like smoking. So that's why I pose this question, would you rather your teenager smoke or cheat? Try to get as many as I can here and temeke Youla, California and Jim, Hello, Jim, Dennis Prager.
Speaker 7: Dennis is very good to talk to you.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 7: Once I heard your questions, I actually called my fifteen year old daughter, which oh, by the way, is my stepdaughter. I've been with her about five years, fifteen years old. I asked her the question of what would you rather be happy or what would what would you expect I would want you to be happy, more successful and good. She immediately said good. She brought a tear to my eye because I felt right then and.
Speaker 2: There, Wow, you are you are and I am happy. You brought a smile to my face. That's exactly right, Okay, and we go to Oak River, Illinois. Kim, Hello, Kim. Dennis Praeger, Hi, Hi, Kim.
Speaker 15: You know, I think it's a difficult thing because we have we teach character to our children. It's one of the most important things in our family. Also, But I think that when you talk about cheating or smoking with a child, I think they're both character issues because if a child smokes, that is deemed disobedient to authority, and that's a character issue for me.
Speaker 2: But as all disobedience is every act of disobedience to authority the same when I jwalk, I disobey authority, and if I murder, I disobey authority. Yes, so disobedience to authority. It doesn't make all of all disobedient acts morally equivalent.
Speaker 15: You're right, Although if my child smoked, I would be completely shot and lose complete trust in my child. And they know how what a serious thing that is. I do understand what you're.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but don't make it. Don't make it that serious. Then say it's unhealthy. It shouldn't be up there with cheating. That's what I'm trying to say to all of you. We need to make priorities. I don't want my child to smoke cigarettes either, of course, but so you explain it's dangerous that one out of every three cigarette smokers will die prematurely. You tell them the facts about it, but you help them understand that that's hardly the same as stealing answers for an exam. That's your duty as a parent to make these things clear. This has been the Ultimate Issues hour on the Dennis Prager Show.
Speaker 1: Tomorrow on Timeless Wisdom with Dennis.
Speaker 2: Pragger, I'm going to address a very difficult issue for many couples. So I am going to try as a guy, and the men know how often I try to explain our sex to women and defend us guys as well often. But I'm going to try to make an argument or a series of arguments to married men why you should stay faithful. And again, they're not religious based and they're not morality based.
Speaker 1: Join us tomorrow to hear more on Timeless Wisdom with Dennis Pragger. This has been Timeless Wisdom with Dennis Prager. Visit Dennispragger dot com for thousands of hours of Dennis's lectures, courses in classic radio programs, and to purchase Dennis Prager's Rational Bibles. We want to take just a second to thank the team at Life Audio for their partnership with us on the podcast. Go to lifeaudio dot com to find dozens of other faith centered podcasts and their network, including shows about prayer, Bible study, parenting, and more.