Speaker 1: Welcome to today's podcast sponsored by Hillsdale College, All Things Hillsdale Hillsdale dot ed or I encourage you to take advantage of the many free online courses there, and of course I'll listen to the Hilldale dialogues, all of them at q for Hillsdale dot com or just Google, Apple iTunes and Hilldale Morning Laura and even Grace America. Welcome to the Big Weekend Pod. On Thursday, President Trump issued a memorandum rebuilding the United States Navy and America's shipbuilding industrial base pretty dance, and it's very important. Hasn't been covered much outside of navalist literature like the United States Naval Institute Press and things like that, but it ought to be covered everywhere and in depth because it has major changes to our carrier fleet. It's got major changes to where we buy our ships, and it's got a new model, the quote Finland model, which I approve of. And I'm very aware of what I don't know in this area, and I don't know whether the change order for the carriers is a good idea or a bad idea. We'll be talking about it on today's program. As one of the issues for John ellis founder of News Items, which I read first thing every single morning. Also be talking with Eli Lake of The Free Press, Matt Conney, the Wall Street journel also over head of Domestic Studies at the American Enterprise Institute, Ben Dominich, shall be along, and I'm going to throw in some questions about the vacancy at the front of the White House press room and the people that are in front of that lectern as well, because I don't think it's me. I just think they're getting dumber, and every dumb reporter who takes up space and as stupid questions is doing a disservice to their platform and to the American people. So I think it's about time we have some barriers to entry to getting a press pass, so I'll be talking about that, and of course we're getting close to football. There's gotta be a little football today too, because it can't be all vegetables. We need some dessert. A little football today on the agenda as well. Don't go anywhere, Stay tuned. A great big weekend pod is at the h Hewitt Show, and I regular weekend starting lineup is with us coming up. Eli Lake in the Free Press, Matt Continetti, of the Wall Street Journal and Ben Dominich of the Daily Wire. We got a lot of head and we begin as we always do him. We're lucky with John Ellis, founder and editor in chief of News Items, my Morning Read six days a week and Political Items fills in a couple of times. If you're not a subscriber to News Items, you ought to be. Look up Elis and News Items and you'll find it. John, you sent me word that's got best announced yesterday we are going to really turn the screws on Iran next week. On the banking side. What can we do that we haven't done? And what did he promise that we would do?
Speaker 2: Well, it's unclear because he didn't want to reveal what exactly you know, he was going to execute that would bring more strangulation than already exists. But one assumes that it just you know, it makes it much more to difficult for a Ran to conduct any kind of international business, and uh, you know, obviously the blockade would continue as well. I think it's a funny thing because I think, you know, it's been a lot of a lot of difficulty in getting to where we are now, but where we are now is actually not a bad place. We set, you know, percent as articulated a policy of economic strangulation. The blockade is in place. The Uranians have two points of leverage. One is control of the strait. The other is what they believe. You know, they believe the calendar works to their advantage. But if President Trump is willing to forget the calendar, then you know, day by day economic strangulation gets worse and worse and worse. And you know, the Iranian economy is a disaster as it is, and if it gets worse and worse and worse, then they are the ones that are going to have to come to the table. So through all these twists and turns, I think we're actually in a fairly good place as long as President Trump is willing.
Speaker 3: To be patient.
Speaker 1: I saw Richard Goldberg at the Foundation for Defensive Democracies and a veteran of the Treasure Department Sanctioned Division, making this argument Bill Hammer this morning that in fact, we're doing quite well visa b Iran. But I got two questions, and maybe you can remember the answer to Warner book, there is a banking system which we shut North Korea off from once and wrecked havoc even on the Hermit Kingdom. I don't know if that's what he's plotting. Do you know what I'm talking about? Does that ring a bell? Yeah?
Speaker 3: It's the Swift It's the Swift system.
Speaker 2: I mean it's basically international transactions are shut they're shut out of the whole financial infrastructure that enables you know, somebody from Moran to buy treasuries that were to execute a trade with I don't know, you know, pick your country. So that's that system is there. And then there's obviously the US has a lot of allies, they have a lot of leverage with a lot of countries. We can say to them, look, you can't you can't do any business at all with Iran. Obviously Iran can do business with Russia, it can do business, you know, with China. But even there, you know, with President Trump getting ready to meet with President G, a favor that G can do for him without you know, without you know, breaking a sweat is shutting down economic support for Ran. So I think that's what pissonna is talking about is just every you know, piece of pipe and the plumbing that can be shut off, the US will shut off. And because the Iranian economy, I mean, the currency is wallpaper, right, I mean, it's just unbelievable. The inflation is insane, and you know, the notion that they can survive this, you know forever, that the population is infinitely patient with the leadership that it doesn't like seems to me.
Speaker 3: Not accurate.
Speaker 1: Well, the second question I had, I was trying to remember, and this goes back to my college days. So that's a long time ago. South Africa eventually capitulated and they were ringed with sanctions of all sorts, and they eventually brought Mandela out freedom and they turned over their nukes and they just capitulated. I can't remember how long that took, do you.
Speaker 3: I think it was like twenty years.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it switched, you know, it smitched with administrations with President Rake, Presidents Reagan and Bush. It came to pass and President Bush senior was an important part of that. But yeah, take these things take a long time. In this case, however, the Iranian economy is a disaster. And if it gets you know, if it gets strangled more it you know, things that can't be sustained don't aren't sustained.
Speaker 1: If you can't. So I feel in people's cars they notice second issue about the Strait oil spills in the Strait of Hormuz.
Speaker 2: Tell us about that, Well, there's a guy named Javier Blass. He writes a column, probably the best column columnists at Bloomberg. And you know, the question has been, why is the price of oil the commodity itself, uh not, you know, risen dramatically?
Speaker 3: Why isn't it doubled? Why isn't it tripled?
Speaker 2: And he's pointed out, and I think this is accurate that more obviously, China demand has has dropped significantly, so that's probably the biggest reason that the price of oil has not gone up as much as everybody thought it would. But the second thing that he's arguing now is that more tankers are getting through the straits than the reporting on it. That it's not six or twenty or thirty three, it's probably one third. And he bases that on the fact that there are oil spills all over the strait, which indicates that the Iranians are hitting some, but the fact that they're hitting some is an indication and that a lot more are getting through.
Speaker 3: It's a very good column. People can find it at Bloomberg.
Speaker 1: All Right. A third story and I found this both alarming and also somewhat inspiring. The United States Army faced off in a war game with Ukrainian drone operators and lost decisively at Fort Hood or not fort Hood in Germany. So tell me about that, because the lesson I drop from that is every superpower ought to take a big, deep breath before they engage in conflict.
Speaker 2: What do you think, Yeah, I mean, you know the classic wargame US Army which the troops came from Fort Hood, they were up against drone operators from Ukraine, and in the war you know, in the wargame, the Ukrainians won. This fits into the LS theory of the Pentagon, which is we should buy essentially the Iranian Defense Department or take a forty nine percent stake in it, and begin the process of building Pentagon two point zero, which would be, you know, we would follow the example of the Ukrainians or in fact by the Ukrainian drones capability, but also bring in all these new technologies that are going to be the ones that we fight future wars. In the current Pentagon is you know, it's tangled up. It's a congressional military is you know, corporate maze it's very difficult for it too. It's very difficult to turn the battleship around, so to speak. But if we if we just set aside and say, Okay, this is Pentagon two point zero and we're gonna, you know, build out all of the tools necessary to fight warfare in the future, that would be, in my view, a good idea.
Speaker 1: I'm going to talk with Matt Connelly about the memo the President put out yesterday about shipbuilding, because that's right down that alley. But before we get to that, in our last moment, I talked to State Center Betton Court from Texas two weeks ago. Tom Me, Texas already has three hundred and fifty data centers AI centers, and one of them in one county more than double their revenue in property Texas. Uh so, yeah, they may have some negative externality, but they bring in a lot of revenue. How loud are they?
Speaker 2: John, Well, there's a I did a podcast with a guy named Alan to Upson, who sort of is the guy who measures the march to artificial superintelligence, and everybody in the business and the AI business reads his memo and he had a little sidebar, which was that the data center. If you have X number of racks of Navidia machinery, the decibel level is one oh one, which is essentially the same as standing next to a helicopter, and that if you lose and if you use evermore right, if you use a larger group of racks of Navidia equipment, the decibel level goes to one hundred and thirteen. One of the big complaints that people have who live near data centers is noise, because they don't It's not like they run from nine to five, they run twenty four to seven.
Speaker 1: That is bad. That's why I do live under a flight path in the Beltway, and that's not pleasant. I can't imagine lesaring next to one hundred and ten decibels. John Ellis from news Items, Thank you. If you want to subscribe to news items, be smarter than the average fair and most of the Beltleigh every morning by seven am, go to news Items on substack or Google news items and John Ellen's subscribe and you will be taking care of John. Thank you so much of me. Right back with Eli Lank of the Free Press, stay tuned to the QQ at show Bernard or and I mean Grace America again. Eli Lake is back with us. He is with the Free Press. He's as the host of the Getting of the Breaking History podcast we ought to be Getting History ELI. Earlier today, I posted on x a list of books that I think anyone who gets a White House press pass ought to have read, because I think the questions being asked of the press Secretary of the President are going down the drain and levels of acuity and literacy. Do you agree with me? And number two? If so, what books would you think someone would have to read?
Speaker 4: It's a great question, Hugh, I generally agree that. I mean, my view is that the briefings are like kind of a spectacle anyway I understand, but it feels more like a pageant, less like a news kind of breaking thing. I think that I wouldn't mind if they basically called it off and they only had these kind of press conferences when there was a national emergency or they had to roll out of policy. Books that I think that political reporters should read. I'm going to give you some one just off the top of my head. It's a good question. Have you ever heard of the book Plunket of Tammany Hall, which exploded politics? That's a good one for any kind of political reporter to understand it.
Speaker 1: Another one.
Speaker 4: And I'm just thinking now in terms of political books that I really like What It Takes.
Speaker 1: Book of the Decade Century YEP of.
Speaker 4: Nineteen eighty eight. That is the best book I've ever read about what it means to run in a presidential campaign. The level of detail is just a masterful. I think you should read that. Then I would say I'm going to do two by one author, or two series of books really one author, and it's you know, read Robert Carrow on the Lynnon Johnson biographies, because you're not you're getting more than the Lyndon Johnson and that you're getting a history of the Senate, You're getting a history of Texas politics. And then read his book on Robert Moses to understand how local power, particularly New York works. So those are some Those are some good ones. I'm sure I'm missing stuff right now.
Speaker 1: An good one I went in the direction that you should be literate in Western civilization before you Oh yeah, yes, And so I listed the Lonely Tower because that's the enemy of the West. Yes, Israeli by Lord Blake Napoleon and Salisbury by Andrew Roberts I listed to provide and maintained by Henry Hendrick since he's in charge of shipbuilding over at omb, but to rule the ways by Arthur Herman Jews versus Rome, Barry Strauss American Caesar. But stuff like that, I just don't think they know much. I listened to Hassan Piker. This all got started because of two things, Hassan Piker rising up to my level of consciousness and Carol Lovett leaving. And I'm beginning to what Hassan Piker just doesn't know anything. I think he's just flat out stupid.
Speaker 4: You're putting him on the spot, But I mean, he has a gift for shocking people, I suppose, transgressive and babbling for hours on end on his twitch stream, but there's no wisdom there. He's a poser when it comes to dealing.
Speaker 1: When he's I think he's trying.
Speaker 4: He's like a shock jock, so he's trying. He knows that he knows that there are lots of people who understand the evils of Mause Tongue or Joseph Stalin and what he and he's gonna say he likes them or that they were there were and you know, listen, there are professors, there are people who are experts and historians who can make arguments that I would disagree with about how bad things were before now, and you know, the conditions that led to the revolution. But he's not doing that. He's skipping all over that. He's what he's trying to do is just provoke a reaction but also kind of reveal a preference for what I've called the anti American or anti patriotic I mean that is the anti patriotic left. They've been going strong cute now for some time, for about half a century. It's this view that America is irredeemably evil, and so therefore you are no longer if you're progressive trying to perfect the union, but you're you know, you're trying to tear it apart. So and that is where I would put intellectuals that are much more serious than Piker, like a Howard Zinn. I would put him in that category nom Chromsky to a certain extent. But those of you know this is like, you know, he's standing on this. He's a midget standing on the shoulders of those anti American giants.
Speaker 1: Short short historian, Eli, you do breaking history, I would like to know what broke in Columbia, which once had the most revered Western civilization undergraduate education in the country, and now I don't know if they read anything. I had to read stuff that I didn't want to read. And by the way, I've got Believer by David Axelrod on my list and the Right by Matt Continetti. I don't want people to be blind to one side or the other. But David Axelrod is a very smart guy, and there are very smart people on the left. I just wonder did they teach the West at all anymore in the university system.
Speaker 4: Well, this is a good question for your next guest, Matthew Counnon, who's a graduate of Columbia. But I can tell you in my own kind of research. I did an episode about this a little over a year ago. I think that you know the introduction of Edward Said, and you know the fact that he was so revered and you know, emulated throughout the academy, but he was based at Columbia. That to me is kind of the beginning of the end, because one of his conceits is that if you are a scholar, if you're a historian, or if you are an analyst. If you're in the academic disciplines, you have to have to be an activist for justice and for the you know, for him it was the Palaesidian cause. But it really does. It requires people to in the to sort of take a stand and to try to make the world a better place. And in the process, I think what it does is it blinds them to the alternative view, and that is an anti intellectual position, and that is I think what gets Columbia into so much trouble to now where you know, I agree with you that it looks like most of the most important kind of treasures of Western civilization are not are no longer kind of mandatory. They've been replaced with a lot of gobblygooks, Like everybody seems to have read bell Hooks and no one seems to have read Tacitus.
Speaker 1: And I'm not even asking for great books in Hillsdale. I'm just asking for a basic outline of Western civilization. I begin every con law class with the Greeks, the Jews, the Romans, the Brits, and the Americans. That's how we ended up in the law school classroom in twenty twenty seven or whatever year, I'm going back in the in the spring of this next year and I begin same way for thirty years, the Jews, the Great the Romans, the Brits, and the American Eli. Did you have a chance, and we may go in the break on this if you meany more time to read the President's memorandum on shipbuilding he issued yesterday.
Speaker 4: I have not yet had a chance to read it. I know that it's a very important thing. I mean, I'm hoping it's it's what I hear it is, but no, I'm sorry.
Speaker 1: Okay, Well, we'll come back around to it next week. What is the next breaking history going to be?
Speaker 4: I am working on a big are kind of a series that is going to be coming on the fall on the narrative side right now, and it is going to be looking at sort of the order that Trump destroyed, a look at the Bush dynasty, a second look if you will, at the Bush dynasty, which I have to say has been a real joy kind of reading about what an extraordinary family and their ability to kind of, you know, produce really if you think about it, three generations of national leaders, starting with Prescott, that I think had a sense of civic duty and Republican virtue that's very much missing today, not just in the Republican Party but our politics overall.
Speaker 1: That I look forward to that will be very well received. And I think if Baxrod's theory on electing personalities that differ Bush hw personality would be very much welcome post Trump, not partisans, just in terms of gravitas, experience in the public sector, public sector, public minument you, I thank you, I'm you right back to America with Matt Contenetti. Stay tuned, walking back on to Hewett. Matt Contnetti is a charge of Domestic policy over at the American Enterprise Institute. He's also the Wall Street Journal Free Expressions columnist and Matt Connetti, I hope you have thrown yourself into shipbuilding in the President's memorandum of yesterday. Am I lucky there? Have you read it yesterday? Yet?
Speaker 5: I dove in, Hugh. As soon as I heard that this was of interest to you, I dove in. I started studying the US Code, and I'm ready to go.
Speaker 1: All right, So let's start with the President's section one his purpose, which is the United States Navy has been screwing up for decades. Agree or disagree.
Speaker 6: Agree.
Speaker 5: And you know, I think this also speaks to a broader program with the prime defense contractors. I know that the Department of War Secretary of War Pete Hegseth is incredibly frustrated with the major weapons manufacturers that we depend on. They're not producing what we need at the speed with which we need it. And that's clearly the case with the shipbuilders as well.
Speaker 1: All Right, So that takes us section two, and this is the one about which I am an agnostic. Restoring steam and hydraulic systems to carriers. Now the Ford has a magnet to catapult our fighter planes into the sky. Everything before the Ford used catapults, and the President's memorandum says, go back to catapults. Got brief last night by people who know this stuff, and I said, look, the problem is the Ford took twelve years to build. Nimtz takes four years to build, and we can't We're going to be down to six or seven carriers when it's mandated by law to have twelve at this rate. What do you think of a go back to get faster mode.
Speaker 5: Well, I know that it's a priority for President Trump, Hugh. This is something that he raised repeatedly during his first term in office, and now it seems that he's using the executive order to actually get some results. My operating philosophy is, if it was good enough for top Gun, then it's good enough for our carriers. But whatever makes the most sense in getting these ships operational and you know, on on station as quickly as possible, that's what I would pursue.
Speaker 1: So the big debate is our carriers, the battleships of this century. In other words, Pearl Harbor came along and we realized, oh, those big battleships are nice, but you can't really use them except for bombardment the Nazi fortifications or the islands. The Marines are taking the Pacific. It's aircraft carriers that have we gone a generation forward. And I'm a civilian. I don't know. You're a civilian, You probably don't know. But do you get the sense that maybe aircraft carriers are going away of the battleship.
Speaker 5: It's a definite possibility when you consider that we're in this new age of missile and drone warfare, and we know that our carriers in the Persian Gulf have to be at a certain remove in order to prevent them from coming under attack by Iranian missiles. And so I think we need to think new about all of our weapons platforms. And I do believe this has been a priority of the President and of Pete Hegseth, is to get the new platforms for this new age, that is the autonomous platforms, that is the missiles, the interceptors, the undersea submersible, autonomous on surface, autonomous weapons like we saw with the rescue of our down pilots last month or so in the Persian Gulf. We need to get those on ready and ready to fight, ready to go in theater as soon as we can.
Speaker 1: So Part three, and we'll take this into the break and come back and talk about something else. We're going to go with the Finland model which we use for icebreakers, which is they build a lot them in Finland. We're going to buy two off the Finish assembly line, provided that that shipbuilder produces a shipyard in the United States that builds the same ship here using Americans. We're going to open that up to the South Koreans and the Japanese for other ship lines like frigates, maybe destroyers, I doubt destroyers, but frigates and maybe some other support ships. What do you think of the Finland model?
Speaker 5: Oh, this's a great idea. I think it's absolutely overdue. My friends who study this subject for a living have been talking about partnerships along the Finland model for for a long time now. I think Korea and Japan in particular can help us. There are allies. That's the way that we should be using our alliances as one of our many superpowers. So I'm in a firm firm support with this part of the executive order.
Speaker 1: And then the last part is a fifth public Navy shipyard. Whoever gets this, and this is a throw a dart will be an enormous benefit to the state wherein it is located. If you had to guess where it's going, where do you think it's going to go?
Speaker 6: Matt Contnetty, I don't know.
Speaker 5: Somewhere near the Gulf of America is what I would say. That's what I was on one of the states, one of the states bordering the Gulf of America. But you know, Q this I think it's absolutely crucial as well. But it does introduce Congress, and when I look at this executive order, I support it, but I need Congress to pass that defense budget to appropriate these resources, and I have to say I've been slightly disappointed in Congress this summer. They haven't moved with the speed they need to resupply our armed forces in a time of low intensity conflict.
Speaker 3: Would be wrong.
Speaker 1: I'm going to talk with Matt Connenny about that very subject during the break and be back on the other side. We talk about the next White House Press Secretary and the people who want to be allowed into the press from stay tuned. I'm going to do it, so I'm back with Matt Connenny. Matt, the President requested a trillion and a half dollars. I'm all for it, a huge amount of spending Golden Fleet, Golden Dome, and other long neglected parts of the defense supply chain. The Republicans did not use reconciliation three Senator Collins to Charity Appropriations Committee wanted to go through appropriation. Democrats said no. They passed a sear to December. Do you think if it's a lame duck session they can do a reconciliation three point zero in the lame duck? No.
Speaker 5: I think it becomes much harder hu in the lame duck. I really do, because you don't. The Republicans may be demoralized. Democrats may be in a position to say, look, we don't want to do anything until we take over the House or even the Senate. I think the time for reconciliation is overdue, and I'm with Senator Kennedy on this. I think that we need to move to another reconciliation bill, not only on the economic priorities, but on defense, because it's an emergency. When you read these headlines about the munitions, Look, I don't know the reality. I don't think anyone who doesn't have a top secret clearance knows the reality about our munition stockpiles.
Speaker 6: But we need more.
Speaker 5: We need more, whatever the level is, we need more, and we need it now.
Speaker 1: Do you read news items in the morning by John Ellis Because he had a news item this week that we had a wargame in Germany between the United States Army and the Ukrainian Army and we got smoked. The Ukrainian smoked us because they sniffed out all of our tanks. That's very alarming. We can fix that, but it's very alarming.
Speaker 5: It's an incredibly important story. I believe leave Wall Street Journal, my paper broke it. John Alis publicized it in his excellent newsletter. But it shows you this new reality. We've confronted this new reality with Iran, where the short range missiles can really constrain the behavior of the American armed forces, the greatest military in the world. It certainly constrain our political leadership. And we see it in Ukraine every day where the Ukrainian drone efforts, their drone warfare has pinned the Russian advanced to a standstill, kills tens of thousands of Russians a month. And then also now the long range drones are wrecking economic havoc on Russia. That is the new reality, and we need to change our thinking, and we need to change the way in which we supply and build our armed forces in a response. Otherwise, I think we're going to be caught off guard, just as we seem to have been in that exercise the Journal reported on, and.
Speaker 1: The Black Sea is now could be denied completely. We actually asked the Ukrainians to stop bombarding Russian cargo because it was driving up the cost of oil nation worldwide. Do you think we've absorbed the vulnerability at every littoral area and indeed far out to sea. Do you think that's been internalized.
Speaker 5: No, I don't think it's been internalized human And you know, it's funny, I was thinking about it this just the other day, is that I've been reading about the you know, the weapons build up, the missile build up, this new strategy of anti access area denial for years, and then all of a sudden it becomes a reality. It's a reality in Ukraine, it's a reality in the Black Sea, It's a reality in the Persian Gulf and Iran. It could well be a reality in Taiwan. And so we need to be able to have a proactive posture here. And like I've been said saying, I think that secretary.
Speaker 1: On the network will come right back, brought them back America. You are talking, is Matt Totten Many about what is really a Tom Clancy novel. The world has changed so rapidly when it comes to warfare that that Matt and I both agree that the United States public, I think the military studying it, but I don't think we're equipped for it. I think actually all of war has changed in the blink of an eye.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Absolutely, And you know we kind of saw it. I think even before Ukraine We kind of saw it in the war against Israel in the sense that for many years Israeli's had to live under the daily threat of Hummas rockets, the short range rockets, and then of course that led to Iron Dome and all now that the even more sophisticated Israeli technologies to knock out missiles and to intercept drones before they hit the target. And then we see it in Ukraine where the Ukrainian innovation on drones has changed not just the Ukraine Russia war, but war in general, and like I've been seeing it in Iran as well, where it seems as though this new reality of missiles and drones you gives an edge to the defense because they are able to pin down maneuver, They're able to deny their enemy the maneuver capability. And this is something that we really need to reckon with. I know, smart people are thinking about it all the time, but they also now have to add in the additional dimensions of artificial intelligence and robotics. And when you put those three things together, robots, AI, drones and missiles, I mean, we're talking science fiction stuff here, but yet it's coming, and part of.
Speaker 1: It's already here. Goodness, the China people have to do the same thing. They built a new navy, they built a bluewater navy, but all of a sudden they've got a new reality to deal with as well, provided we make them realize aggression.
Speaker 5: Well, I think that that's exactly it. We need to make this new reality work for us. And you can see how the Ukrainians have done it. You can see how Israel has used it defensively. America needs to think, how are we going to be able to use these new technologies to give us the edge in the Indo Pacific?
Speaker 1: All right, now, I want to change over to the fact that Carolyn Lovett, a very fine press secretary, is retiring, and there's been a lot of speculation about who ow to do it. I don't know if your phone's been ringing, Matt or Ben Dominich's. I think both of you would be great. But I don't think the issue really is who's at the front of the electn I think it's who's in front of the electron And generally speaking, I'm beginning to wonder. I think Peter Baker is a fine reporter. Steve Holland is a fine reporter. I think a lot of these reporters read, read, read, and they're well versed in Western civilization. I'm not so sure about the youngs. Do you think the youngs are well read in Western civilization and American political history?
Speaker 5: Not at large, I would say, I mean, I would say my friend and colleague Phil Wegman is, and he's very good, and he covers the White House, and so you'll find you find stars like that who know history, who know kind of the political tradition of the United States. They can ask informed questions, tell interesting stories. But I think in general your point stands you, which is, no one reads anymore, no one really has much of a historical memory beyond what happened the other week, or certainly beyond the Trump era, which is now, of course, ten years old. And so you want to have a White House press corps that actually knows something about Washington and knows something about the presidency, and knows something about world affairs, so that they can ask intelligent questions. I don't see us having that, not to the degree that maybe we once did.
Speaker 1: Well. The reason this came up is I listened. I actually was obliged by the events in Michigan to listen to some Hassan Piker. That man doesn't know anything. And I don't know that Abdi Lsie knows anything. I know Graham Platner didn't. I'm not too sure about a lot of the nominees across the board, say, compared with Susan Collins, who I think is very well read. But if I ran down my books blooming Tower, Disraeli, Salisbury, Napoleon Diplomacy, I've got them all lined out. I even included The Right by You and Believer by David Axrod. Do you think the White House Press Corps would score very well on like a basic reading list that Columbia might have used when what they still believed in Western civilization there?
Speaker 5: I think maybe on the Hugh Hewitt Reading List, the average would be kind of a C. And that's you know, if we don't grade on a curve like most schools do on the Great Books List, I say it'd be a D. Don't unless you go to a Great Book school. I think it's very hard to encounter the Great Books through through your college education. Hillsdale grat like Jack Biden Hillsdale, Right, yeah, hills Now he's at the Journal, and so that's why he was on my list, Well, well.
Speaker 1: Would you, if you were actually pick on a White House reporter, give them some kind of probing, a series of questions to find out whether or not they knew that Jews, the Greats, the Romans, the Brits, and the American experience because that's basically Western sid isn't that what you learned at Columbia before the Columbia Western Civilization course collapsed? It is, you know.
Speaker 5: Rather than ask the questions to which I would be disappointed with the answers, I might give them a copy of Russell Kirk's The Roots of American Order, which goes through precisely that history you talk about. I think it's a very firm grounding. I might give them the book What It Takes by Richard ben Kramer, just fantastic book about the nineteen eighty eight presidential elections. Think yeah, And I was looking at your list and I thought, you know, you have Believer on there by David Axelrod, which.
Speaker 1: Is a good book.
Speaker 5: I'd also include Courage and Consequence by Karl Rove Oh, a memoir of his his life in politics and the Bush presidency. I learned a lot about from that book. When it came out, and I think it would hold up for reporters today.
Speaker 1: And did you read one damn thing after another by Bill Barr Oh?
Speaker 6: I loved it.
Speaker 1: I think it's maybe the best classic, the best political memoir in since Axel Rods and Carl's was before that, But it was also a primer and con Law, I mean, that guy's a smart fellow. He's also funny.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, and you learn a lot about how the government works. I think that's what's missing is we used to have a lot of veteran reporters who have been doing covering this beat for so long, they really knew how Washington and the government worked. Now, because of the changing economics of media, we have a lot of young people. They don't really know much about what works, what doesn't, what has happened, what is actually new, and so giving these young people some grounding is very important, and I do believe books are really the only way we can do that today.
Speaker 1: You know, if we had analytics for the press the way that they do for baseball, Steve Holland would be the first guy that Brad Pitt would draft in the movie for the watch Out Quite Outs Press Corps Matt Cottnetty. You'd score pretty eye on that too. Thank you for spending time with the follow Matt at Continetti. Read them in the Wall Street Journal twice a week. Follow him over at the American Enterprise Institute and at Continetti follow me in the next segment right here on the viewers. If you've listened to this program for any length of time, you know I appreciate companies that deliver real value without unnecessary gimmicks. That's fine. Please to recommend Consumer Cellular. They offer reliable NATIONLID coverage, outstanding customer service and plans. It simply makes sense. Right now, you get a brand new five G phone and an unlimited everything rate plan for fifty nine dollars a month or even less. That's right. Your low monthly price includes your new device and an unlimited talk, text and data plan with thirty six month easy paid financing. Choose the five G phone that's right for you, and when those thirty six months are up, you own the phone. The company unknown you. Here's an exclusive bonus for my listeners for a limited time. Use the promo code HU fifty and you'll receive an additional fifty dollars off your service. Visit Consumer sailor dot Com slashhee today to find the right phone. Enjoy affordable wireless with an unlimited plan for fifty nine dollars a month or less. That's Consumer Sailor dot Com slash Hue, and remember to use the promo code Hugh fifty to save an additional fifty dollars.
Speaker 5: It is finally time for a straightforward assess of the state of our nation.
Speaker 7: What happens when the institutions built to protect a liberty are accused of working against it. This weekend, Salem News Channels America two fifty film series presents Government Gangsters. Watch a hard hitting look at power, corruption, and accountability in modern America Saturday and Sunday at seven pm Eastern only on Salem News Channel.
Speaker 1: Morning Laura and Even Grace America. I'm Hugh Hewittt. Welcome to your weekend. Ben dominate showings me as he does most Fridays. Ben, I want to begin with a very difficult question for you. I'm going to put you on the spot. I know you're on vacation, I know your rush, but I got to play for you. Secretary of State Rubio on what the best day would be like, and then go to the controversial part of it at number one.
Speaker 8: Here's the thing, The day would actually start much earlier. The greatest show on television today in America is College Game Day. Great show starts around ten or eleven, and that leads you to noon and then the noon game, and then there's a three thirty game, and then there's a so I messed, and then the idea like this is a crazy weekend.
Speaker 1: It would never happen.
Speaker 3: So I'm just putting this out there.
Speaker 8: But you could start at ten am on Saturday, you know, run the whole college football day, sleep for a few hours, then you wake up, and then you're in the NFL game Day. Then you've got the one o'clock game, the four o'clock game, the NBC game that night. That is an incredible weekend in my opinion.
Speaker 1: Now, Ben Dominic shirts that apparently is a very very mainstream opinion. However, it's actually anti Big ten and pro sec because we all know Big New kickoff with Urban Meyer is better. Is much better than say it.
Speaker 6: It's much better. Actually, yes, and I actually don't think it's close, though I will point out, you know, I mean, come on, we know Marcos allegiance is here. Yes, so you know, but look, I think I can't think of a more human like comment in that. Also, I think that he is implying heavily that like, this is what I want for my birthday present.
Speaker 1: Yes, my father's day, but it doesn't work on July, works in the fall.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I don't know what his birthday is, but yes.
Speaker 1: In the sending order of importance, the President issued a executive order a memorandum on shipbuilding yesterday. Carriers are going back to same catapults. We're going to go the Finland model and buy ships and pairs of two from South three and Japan provided to build a shipyard here and start making the real thing here. And we're going to have a fifth public shipyard. This is enormously important. I haven't seen it covered anywhere. Have you had a chance to read it yet.
Speaker 6: And I have not had a chance to read it yet, but I have to say that it is enormously important. It's been something that we you know, and obviously it popped up on my feet. I, you know, think that this is one of those things that you know is long overdue and that we need we need to go back to this quite frankly years ago, and in terms of the approach that we've had to this process and too into shipbuilding generally has been just so lax, especially considering what the conflicts of the next decades look like. And so it's it's well overdue and I'm glad the President is taking action on it.
Speaker 1: All right now, I want to turned to the White House Press secretary. Keron Levitt did a great job, and we've been blessed on the Republican side by a lot of good ones. A couple of steps, but data Perno and Tony Snow and you go back to Ery Fleischer, and you go back all the way to to HW's team and to Reagan's team, Merlon Fitzwater. We had great press secretary. But I think the press corps in the White House is getting dumber. I just don't think they read much. Ben and I posted my list of what I would require the press to be credentialed to have read. Do you think they're getting dumber?
Speaker 6: Well, I think that in terms of the press corps, they are absolutely getting dumber. They're also getting much more forgetful. They don't they don't have any sense of history. They don't really I don't think that they actually, I mean, you just rattled off a list of some of the most prominent you know, press secretaries and comms directors who have been you know, in the White House over the last a couple of decades, and you know, and most of my lifetime, you know, I was you know, had the pleasure of being able to work in the w administration and meet not just Dana but but Tony snow before he passed, and and get to know the team that was there, that was obviously expert and knew how to handle things. And it's really really shocking to me that you could run through a list like that. And I wonder how many of the people who are currently in the press corps today could run through that list and would be able to tell you who work for who, who was a Republican.
Speaker 1: Well, I can also do Marlon Fitze. I mean, I can do Mike Murphy for Clinton. I can go back and do.
Speaker 6: Crazy Murphy was great. Murphy was the one. He was great when I first started paying attention to and you know, and the way that he handled that room, especially with the level of difficulty that the Clinton administration presented in terms of representing them every day. You know that that was impressive. You know, I got to meet him as well. I got you know, I've met most of these folks that you've mentioned. The thing, the thing that is you know, striking about them is they have to learn to speak, you know, for the president, but also not to nail something down that is not nailed down by the president, which is a very unique position to be in. It's not the same as being a speech writer, where when you run a speech through you you are doing something that is getting approved and so there is a betting process. There is a you know, we are going to take this line and we are going to make sure that we stick it in there because we want to send a message to whichever country needs to listen. That's not the same as having to do this stuff on the fly. And I think that you know, everyone who has who has done this job, you know, for Donald Trump, has had a particularly unique challenge in doing that because, of course, the president changes his mind a lot. And look, I think that quite frankly that the the the job that Caroline Lovett has done is enormously impressive. It's going to be hard, hard to follow up that act with anything that approaches the level of skill that she presented in that job, which by the way, people thought she was capable of.
Speaker 1: You better have good humor. So here's that what led to this line of questioning Hassan Piker, I was obliged to dig into over the last couple of weeks, and I'd never really care to him, and I am sorry, I don't think he knows anything. I've listened to him rattle off like critical legal studies, jargon, crits, jargon about all sorts of just the language deconstructionists, and it's nonsense. Do you think like this generation, generally, if they're not a Hillsdale graduate, will know anything about the Greeks, the Jews, the Romans did break you.
Speaker 6: If you look. You know, I know that. I know this is kind of a dated reference because it's it's it's a movie that doesn't get as much praise this at the time. But you know, one of the points about Goodwill Hunting that is correct is that you can get a better education with a library card. And that's the truth about like one of the one of the things that we see going on this generation. You know, there they are going to schools where if they actually went to a public library and did the right reading list, they would have a better education than the one that they're paying tens of thousands, sometimes hundreds of thousands of dollars for. And I think that that's pathetic and sad. But as someone who was an absolute nerd, spent a lot of time the library, was was literally a library volunteer for many years growing up. Let me tell you it was very useful and has proven you.
Speaker 7: Were nerd.
Speaker 6: That is thief, that is I'm telling you man, I had a lot of I had a lot of I had a lot of friends.
Speaker 1: They were so let me let me ask you about I'm going to just pull the name ount of Rent Michael Knowles. Michael Knowles I've met twice and I had on the radio once. I just don't know. Michael seems to me to have read everything, like literally everything. And there are some people out there with whom I didn't agree who have read everything like Sorouh and others. I just don't agree with them, but they're they're very well. Rent. Why is the left turning up such dummies? I'll say it is all.
Speaker 6: First all agree with you about Michael. He is one of the very rare humans, and I would include ross Stout that this number, and you know a couple of other folks, including yourself, by the way, who can make references that I don't get. And that's and that's not a not a long list because again, but it's one of these things where when he does that, it makes me curious and I say, hey, wait a minute, that's what is that from? I haven't you know that I've read that author, but not that book, that kind of thing. Spencer Clayven and his father are another of them. But look, it's it is really, I think an indictment of the nature of our current politics that we have people who are being very successful in it, who who don't really have any knowledge of the philosophical basis for even the positions that they hold. Like now, on a certain level, is that a good thing? You know, would I rather have a dumb version of a son biker than a smart version because you know that's going to be something that's harder to debate, harder to win. On a certain level, Yes. On the another level, it's like he's catering to the TikTok morons, the you know, the twitch Trotskyites who want to you know, completely upend everything that makes America great without actually understanding what they're going to replace it with or how that will hurt them. I had a conversation with a casual friend of mine the other day who is someone who is entirely in favor of socialism of the Mom Donnie style, and she is very much of the opinion why isn't everybody against this? It's just the most basic thing. You know, It's gonna be great, it's gonna work, and we're going to have healthcare for everybody and things like that. And it's how do you even have a conversation with that when you're starting from such a difference of opinion about the history of socialism, about what this communist movement represents.
Speaker 1: I couldn't agree more. And by the way, I don't know Spencer Claven Andrew Clavin. I know, I don't know Spencer. How old is he is? He like Michael Moll.
Speaker 6: Smart yes and uh and he's he's very smart and you should check out his stuff. He writes a lot for us about at the Baily Wire, about classics, uh and and things of that nature. He's very much He's one of these guys who can talk about, you know, the Plato, Aristotle, and Ai all in the same piece. And that's the kind of skill that I appreciate.
Speaker 1: And time to book, Spencer Claven Ben Dominic, enjoy your vacation. Thank you for spending time with me.