Speaker 1: The voice of free speech, the truth delivered common sense for the American people.
Speaker 2: Welcome to the Scott Jennings Show.
Speaker 3: James Tallerico in Texas makes appalling comments about race and criminal justice. We have the audio and my commentary straight ahead. Congressman Ralph Norman of South Carolina is coming by this hour, one of two Republicans left in the runoff to replace Lindsey Graham on the November ballot.
Speaker 1: Interesting conversation ahead.
Speaker 3: And we have breaking new polling out of Michigan on both the Senate and gubernatorial races. Our friends at AAARP have fresh data. John Hishta is here and you don't want to miss that. It's Friday, August the twenty first. I'm Scott Jennings broadcasting for Salem Man, coming to you live from Louisville, Kentucky. On this day in eighteen fifty eight, thousands of people poured into Ottawa, Illinois to witness a rhetorical confrontation unlike anything America had ever seen. On one side stood the powerful incumbent US Senator, a nationally famous Democrat known as the Little Giant. On the other, a lanky former congressman largely unknown throughout the country there to compete for the incumbent seat. It was a campaign debate, but the question of foot was much larger. Would slavery be allowed to spread into America's western territories. The senator argued that the people of each territory should decide the issue for themselves. His challenger warned that slavery was morally wrong and that a nation divided against itself could not stand. The format was grueling. One candidate spoke for an hour, the other answered for ninety minutes, and the first then return for a thirty minute rebuttal and Ottawa, Illinois, was only the beginning. The two men would meet seven times across the state, and the incumbent senator would ultimately keep his seat that November, but newspapers carried the challenger's words across the country, transforming a little known Prairie lawyer into a national political figure. Two years later, the men would face each other again, this time for the presidency, the little giant Stephen A. Douglas versus the lanky lawyer Abraham Lincoln. You know how that turned out, And it all started with the beginning of the Lincoln Douglas debates. On this day, August the twenty first, eighteen fifty eight. You know, questions of equal justice under the law have permeated our political debates for decades, and today day's Democratic luminaries appear to be backtracking. I bring you the story today of James Tallarico, the Democrat candidate for the United States Senate in Texas. He took to the radio airwaves yesterday to argue that you should be afforded different criminal justice outcomes based on the color of your skin. Let me repeat, different criminal justice outcomes based on the color of your skin. Tall Rico was asked to comment on the case of Carmelo Anthony, the seventeen year old African American teenager who stabbed to death fellow teenager Austin Metcalf at a high school track meet. Anthony was sentenced to thirty five years in prison for that murder, and hearings are underway as Anthony's new defense seeks a retrial. All of this is going on as mister tall Rico appears on a popular morning radio show called The Breakfast Club. It's extremely influential in the African American community. I want you to a listen to this exchange as Tallarico is asked about the Carmelo Anthony trial Cut seven in Texas.
Speaker 4: We see what happened with Carmelo Anthony, and you said it was a tragedy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what did you mean by that?
Speaker 4: Well, I've done a lot of work in the state House on justice reform, and right now we've got a system that doesn't serve all Americans equally. And we know that black Texans have been have not gotten the justice they deserve in many cases. And you know, I'm not an expert on this particular case, but I know that there were no black members of the jury. And to me, that's the only evidence you need to really prove that this system is not working for black Texans.
Speaker 3: This is astonishing. The evidence in the case is not really in dispute. Anthony killed meta. This African American kid killed a white kid after an argument that attract me. Stab him in the heart with a knife, up close personal cold blooded murder. But tall Rico looks at this case and says, if only there had been some black jurors, Carmelo Anthony could have gotten away with it.
Speaker 1: Let's set up the politics of this.
Speaker 3: By the way, Talarico defeated an African American woman named Jasmine Crockett in the Democratic primary to win this nomination. And now he's doing poorly, very poorly with black Democrats in Texas, and he thinks the way to win them over is to say, I will literally let you kill any white person that you want. This sort of pandering is a level of racism that I cannot even begin to understand.
Speaker 1: Let's get back to Tallarrico's statements.
Speaker 3: This is a civilization destroying view of criminal justice, the idea that the color of your skin, of either the defendant or a juror should determine the outcome of a murder case. Many have asserted that the jury was all white.
Speaker 1: That's false.
Speaker 3: Of the twelve jurors, three were racial minorities, including Asian and Indian, eight were women, four were men. Of the eighteen total jurors including the alternate, six were minorities. But does any of this even matter in a murder case? You look at the evidence, testimony, witnesses, the weapon, and you ask a jury to make a decision, and that decision cannot cannot be well even if he did it. We share a skin color, so I should probably let this defendant get away with murder. But that's exactly what James Tallerco is arguing for here.
Speaker 1: Can you imagine anything more racist?
Speaker 3: Tall Rico thinks that if Carmelo Anthony had faced a jury of black people, they would have ignored the evidence, which is overwhelming, and let him go. That's what tallar Rico thinks of black voters in Texas, that they would set aside their duties as citizens and members of the community in good standing to excuse a murder based on the color of the defendant's skin. This is the literal opposite of what so many Black Americans fought so valiantly to achieve equal justice.
Speaker 1: Under the law.
Speaker 3: Means no criminal justice outcome is dependent on the color of your skin. If a black teenager commits murder and the evidence proves it, he is guilty. If a white teenager commits murder and the evidence proves it, he is guilty. The jury is not asked to balance the cosmic racial scales in an individual murder trial. It is asked to deliver justice for the victim and to protect the community in which it serves. But in tallar Rico's view, a black teenager apparently should be able to stab to death a white teenager in the name of quote making the system work for black people. I would submit that the system works for no one when the race of the defendant is more important than the evidence in the case. And I would submit that tall Rico has strange, strange, even racist, one could argue views about the character of black Texans who wind up on juries. Does he really believe that black Texans would look beyond evidence and the law to permit murder simply because the defendant was also black? Does he realize what he is saying about the character of his fellow Texans, his fellow Americans. Now, we brought you the story earlier this week of Taal Rico believing that black Americans are too stupid to figure out how to use an ID to vote. Now he apparently thinks Black Americans are of such low character that they would openly permit murder in their communities because well, I guess that's what he thinks their top priorities are for their neighborhood. I am flabbergasted by this man, and I sense that he has no idea, none whatsoever, what these racist ideas sound like coming out of his silly, unseerious pandering mouth. Scott Jennings is broadcasting to you on Salem. When it comes to supplements, two things matter the most, that it works and that you can trust it. And what I hear from people every single day about Relief Factor is in fact it does work and that yes, you can trust it. Our customers are telling us that here's a note from Chris. He spent years doing physical labor and it left his feet. So at the end of every day after starting Relief Factor, he felt so good. He did something he'd never done before. Mister Chris got up Marana half marathon. Now he tells all his friends about Relief Factor. It's so easy to find out if you'll have the next great Relief Factor story. You get three weeks of it for seventeen dollars and seventy six cents. You try it and you realize that it works, simply go to relief Factor dot com or call one eight hundred for Relief Relief Factor dot com or one eight hundred for Relief Try it out. It just may be that you'll be sharing your Relief Factor story with us very soon when we come back. Jill Biden says her husband may have had a spiked drink before the twenty twenty four Fateful debate.
Speaker 1: This audio's crazy after this.
Speaker 5: Only un Salem Now, featuring one of Charlie Kirk's final interviews, The new documentary Can You.
Speaker 1: Hear Me Now?
Speaker 5: Examine modern profits a messages shaping our political and cultural destiny.
Speaker 6: I would have dreams and then they would come to pass.
Speaker 7: Some people absolutely have the gift of prophecy.
Speaker 4: If God exists, how would he inject his information into our world?
Speaker 7: More than likely he would use humans.
Speaker 6: Jesus appeared in the dream.
Speaker 8: I heard a voice and it began to speak to me.
Speaker 5: Director Matthew theer Way is today's prominent prophetic voices against scripture, history, political and scientific scrutiny.
Speaker 9: That is the word of God that needs me, the bedrock of any functioning of fish and civilization. Why would God have me be one of the last people to interview Charlie before he died. Satan would love Christians, So just be a spectator, not engage, not participate.
Speaker 7: Is there something he's trying to say?
Speaker 6: Can You Hear Me Now?
Speaker 5: Pre Order the movie by September tenth, save twenty five percent and get the DVD free at Say Them now dot com, Say Themnow dot com. One man standing tall against the leftist mob.
Speaker 7: Here's Scott Jennings.
Speaker 3: It is Friday, August, the twenty first, Common Sense for the American people. By the way, Coming up in about ten minutes, we have Ralph Norman of South Carolina here. He's one of the two remaining Republicans vying to replace Lindsey Graham on the November Senate ballot. The other is Darlene Graham, Lindsey Graham's sister. She has the President's endorsement. But Ralph Norman finished second in that runoff. He's a congressman. He ran for governor this year. Some people think he may actually be ahead in that campaign. It's close and he's coming by. He's being outspent, and the President's working for his opponent, but Ralph's hanging in there. I don't know where you all stand on this, but I'm looking forward to talking to Ralph. I've known Ralph Norman for twenty years and I'm kind of fascinated by his journey. So we'll have that conversation in a minute. I remain, by the way, flabbergasted at this James Talerico story. We just brought you the idea that a candidate for the United States Senate would argue that you perhaps should get away with murder because of the color of your skin, or that a juror might find you guilty or not guilty based on the color of your skin. I mean, tall Rico's clearly implying in his comments that if we could just get some black jurors, you guys could get away with murder. It is so racist what he is saying. He has this need to pander, and it leads to these appallingly racist statements. Earlier, he was saying, effectively that black voters are too dumb to figure out how to use an ID to vote.
Speaker 1: Now he's saying.
Speaker 3: Black jurors will let you get away with murder as long as you're black. Does he not understand what he is saying about the intelligence and the character of these voters that he.
Speaker 1: Seeks to persuade. It's insulting Black Texans.
Speaker 3: Black Americans do not need tallar Rico or any other Democrat to grant them permission to disregard the law to commit violence and murder. They need safe neighborhoods, They need prosecutors who prosecute They need juries who honestly examine evidence and hold criminals accountable. And they need political leaders who believe they possess the same judgment, integrity, and sense of civic responsibility as any other American.
Speaker 1: All men are created equal.
Speaker 3: All Americans deserve equal justice under the law. There's a reason that Lady Justice wears a blindfold. But with this obscene pandering, tall Rico thinks he is flattering Black voters, He's actually insulting them. He is reducing responsible citizens down to racial partisans who cannot or will not follow the evidence or the law when another, the human being, has been murdered.
Speaker 1: It is utterly disqualifying for high office. Unbelievable.
Speaker 3: It's close race in Texas. I don't know what's going to happen. By the way, close race down there another story I want to bring you. Jill Biden has sat down for a podcast interview, and in it she raised or affirmed that at least the possibility exists that Joe Biden.
Speaker 1: Was roofed.
Speaker 3: Before that fateful debate against Trump in the summer of twenty four.
Speaker 1: Let's hear a little audio from the debate.
Speaker 10: Guys, play that, and I'm going to continue to move until we get the total band on, the total initiative relative to what we're going to do with more border patrol and more asymnum officers.
Speaker 1: President Trump, I really don't know what he said at the end of this. I don't think he knows what he said either.
Speaker 3: Look, you remember Biden was absolutely I don't even know how to describe it now. I mean, you remember what happened, Well, listen to Jill Biden talking about it now cut Ford.
Speaker 11: Still to this day, you don't have a gut instinct on what was that moment? No, I mean, there's all kinds of there is. You know, he had been traveling. I know he was tired, he didn't feel well that day when I saw him, But there was nothing definitive that I could point to. And I had been on the road for two weeks up until that moment, so I wasn't with him. I didn't see him days before, weeks before. I saw him maybe one hour before.
Speaker 4: And there's no way anyone could, of God forbid, laced his drink.
Speaker 1: Or knows who knows.
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 1: Who knows?
Speaker 3: Listen to that? Could anyone have laced Joe Biden's drink? The President of the United States, Jill Biden says, Oh, I'm sorry, doctor. Jill Biden says, who knows?
Speaker 6: What do you mean?
Speaker 1: Who knows?
Speaker 3: This man is surrounded by the Secret Service, and you're saying somebody could a roofied Joe Biden?
Speaker 1: Who knows? I guess we'll never know. Do you know how insane this sounds?
Speaker 3: These Biden's were the most irresponsible people to ever hold this office. Listen to them now, heck, listen to them. Then, all right, we got to take a break. When we come back, Ralph Norman is here South Carolina politics.
Speaker 1: It's wild stay with us.
Speaker 5: No for America's favorite pundit, it's Scott Jennings.
Speaker 3: In about thirty seconds, we bring Congressman Ralph Norman to the Scott Jennings Show. He's on the ballot in South Carolina, one of two Republicans remaining buying to replace the late Senator Lindsey Graham on the November ballot. The other is Darlene Graham, Lindsey Graham's sister. It is quite a strange situation in South Carolina. But Ralph Norman is one of the conservatives that you know and have known for many years who's in the final two, and I want to have a conversation with him about how this campaign is unfolded in just a moment. First, I do want to give you a message, and that is this, For nearly two hundred and fifty years, America's founding principles have given people the freedom to dream big, take risks, and build something of their own. And that spirit is alive in American small business today. This month, our friends at Americans for Prosperity are celebrating the entrepreneurs who took a chance, who overcame the odds and created jobs. Because sometimes it all starts with one small step. We invite you to nominate the entrepreneurs who are pursuing the American dream at America Buildsfreedom dot com. That's America Builds Freedom. This is from our friends and Americans for a Prosperity. They're doing a great job helping us all celebrate America two fifty. That's the next iteration in this All right, The primary season is almost sorted out in America, but not quite yet in South Carolina, where as you know, Senator Lindsay Graham passed away several weeks ago and they had an initial election to replace him, and it got down to a runoff between Darlene Graham, who was appointed to the US Senate by South Carolina's governor and then she decided to run for the full term, and Ralph Norman, US Congressman. He just ran for governor earlier this year in that Republican primary. He's now in the Senate race. Let's hear what Ralph Norman is telling the people of South Carolina.
Speaker 1: Cut one.
Speaker 8: I spent my career building a business, but I couldn't stand by while Washington spent money it didn't have. So I got in the fight and I never forgot who elected me. This election is about the America we pass on to your family.
Speaker 2: Mind.
Speaker 8: We inherited freedom, and that's our turn to defend it, to strengthen it, and to leave America stronger than we found it. You shouldn't have to guess where your next senator stands with me.
Speaker 1: You already know.
Speaker 8: I'm Ralph Norman, and I approved this message.
Speaker 3: And joining us live to discuss this campaign is Ralph Norman, Congressman. Thanks for joining us here on the Scott Jenning Show.
Speaker 12: Well glad to be with you, Scott.
Speaker 3: Well, I'm glad to hear your voice today, and I'm interested in this campaign. It's one of the most unusual situations. Obviously, our friend Lindsey Graham. His passing shocked Washington. I know it shocked you, and this race to replace him is unfolded in a very strange situation. The Senator's sister was appointed as a caretaker for the rest of this term, but that ends in January, and Senator Graham was facing election in November for a new six year term.
Speaker 1: That's where you come in.
Speaker 3: A bunch of Republicans ran for his nomination and it got down to a final two between Darlene Graham and now you. President Trump is with Darlene Graham. You've been an ally of President Trump on many issues over the years as well. I want to start there. How is all that sitting with the voters of South Carolina? Is that going to be determinative or can you overcome it?
Speaker 12: Well? I think well, first of all, what President Trump has done for this country is something I'll always be grateful for. With a Kamala Harris, had she won, this country would not be able to have survived. And he's the one who did it. And I'll always be honored to serve with him and to buck him, which I've done. Now I ask him for the for his endorsement, which is good for any candidate in particularly South Carolina. We're a red state, going to stay at red state hopefully. But that being said, the people of South Carolina are going to pick the next senator and they're engaged. I think from early voting it's we've got to increase turnout in good areas. So but he'll be He's coming down and we've got a big rally tonight and Anderson that we're going to attend. But you know, it's all so unfortunate that Lindsey died to you know, it's unconventional that we're facing this at this point. It was such a short runway to campaign and take our message to the voters.
Speaker 3: You did have a debate Congressman the other night, and this of course has made the national political news this week. There was a question about foreign policy that was raised in the debate, and Darlene Graham gave an answer that frankly, has ricochet around the political world.
Speaker 1: Let's take a listen to that and cut number three.
Speaker 13: All ur Taiwan and the South China see National Security issues for the United States.
Speaker 1: And if so, lie or how.
Speaker 13: I'm just going to be honest here. I'm not on national security that I'm not that informed on national security. So but I do support the military. My brother was in the Air Force for thirty three years, so I will do everything I can to support the military. My dad was in the Army. I'm not a polished politician up here. National security is not my thing, not my area of expertise, but I do support the military.
Speaker 1: Congressman, how do you respond to that?
Speaker 3: And is foreign policy the top issue for voters in this election? Does she have a point that maybe it's not that vital for the next senator from South Carolina to know that much about this stuff.
Speaker 12: Anybody serving and I don't care what office it is, national security is upmost concerned. I mean, it's sad that you and I know she would take it back if she could, but you know, being up there with her, Scott, she just didn't want to be there, you could tell that. But she owes it to the voters in South Carolina to get under the lights, to take any all questions. And that one she just as you could hear from the crowd, is a big gasp, And rightfully so. So it's she really hadn't clarified it since then, and you know it's she runs her own campaign though, and she has her own advisors.
Speaker 4: And I.
Speaker 12: Was shocked as well when I was we were.
Speaker 3: Up there, Congressman, how would your foreign policy views be similar or different from Lindsay Graham's?
Speaker 1: Obviously that was his major area of focus.
Speaker 3: He was one of the biggest hawks and national security focus senators in Washington. Would you be similar or do you have different ideas about the shape you would put on the office.
Speaker 12: What's different between Lindsay and I is I mean, as we found out two days ago, the crisis that we're facing in this country, as I did, and I don't believe in endless wars. I just don't. We can't afford it now. I do believe in peace through strengths. I do support the president what he did in Iran. That was a They've been at war with US for forty seven years and had he not taken him out, we would have paid a tremendous price, and if they got a nuclear weapon. That being said, you know, we've got to come to a conclusion with this war. And I think he will, but we've got to get our own financial health back into focus and actually do something about it. And the message he sent by the actions that he took that the Obama didn't take, Biden didn't take. He took strong action which will keep us out of wars in the future. But we're going to build up our military, We're will fund it, but we've got to get our financial house in order. And I just that's the difference that I think I will bring to the Senate, which it's got As you know, it's a body that's where good bills go to die. It doesn't matter whether it's national security that it faces. The Senate. It's the graveyard for good bills, and the Save Act is a perfect example of that.
Speaker 3: Let me ask you about the operations of the Senate because this has emerged as an issue. President Trump has called on the Senate and he believed this in his first term as well. He's called on Senate Republicans to eliminate the filibuster. Now, Senator Graham was a supporter of the philibuster. President Trump and a few other senators now say we should get rid of it. Where do you stand on that issue?
Speaker 12: You know, what's changed with the Democrats, we're getting no help on anything they pose the Save Act, and the fact is that, you know what I will do is go to Sena to foom and say soon this is a national security one, the security of our elections and having people know that they're safe and secure. But how can we make this happen? The Save Actor is pretty simple, just verifying that you're an American citizen. And if it's eliminate the philibuster, we do it. If it's a walk in filibuster, we do it. If a challenge of the parliamentary we do it. All that to say is to just say we don't have the votes, Scott. We've got a fifty three to forty seven majority, we control all three branches of government. Now's the time to move on it. And if that doesn't happen, as I would have been pretty clear, we will. I'll do what it takes to replace him or whoever it takes to make sure this happens and gets through the Senate. And look at all the American First agenda that we got to deal with. But this bill is paramount and we shouldn't be voting on anything but that. And I will have press conferences with those who are conservative and have endorsed me, Rick Scott, Mike Lee, Ted Cruz is another big proponent of the same act, and so we have to move on it. So I'm a big proponent of doing away with it, and the Democrats are will do that anyway if and when they get back in power in the Senate.
Speaker 3: Ed voicer hearing is Congressman Ralph Norman of the Great State of South Carolina. He's running for the United States Senate, one of two Republicans left in the race. Now, Congressman, if you get this nomination as a Republican, you'll be going on to face a Democrat in the fall. Her name is Annie Andrews. I've seen her on a TV little bit. She's out on the media circuit a little bit. She is firmly rejecting, at least in some of the media stuff. I've seen this idea that Democrats need to turn into or transform into socialists. But I'm interested in your view of this overall debate, which to me, nationally is are we going to be a socialist country or not? She seems to be trying to walk away from that. Will you be able to nationalize this race? In that way come November, and how would you approach a Democrat in South Carolina who's trying, at least rhetorically to be more moderate than some of these other socialists we've seen in other places.
Speaker 9: It is a.
Speaker 12: Previous coming attraction, Scott. She wi a campaign as a moderate, like a lot of them do, and then they morph into a what their party has become, which is a socialist Marxist communist party. I mean, you look what's happened in New York, California, the news, what's going to happen to Virginia. And so if you look at her background, I mean, she's pro abortion, she's protrans, she's pro surgery on our young people. She represents what the Democratic Party has turned into. And so they're putting the money into my opponent, the money that is backs Kamala Harris, the money that backs move on dot org, and they're gonna focus on this race. They smell blood in the water. Pete Buddhaje Edge is coming down this weekend, and in their minds, they've got an opportunity to hear, well, it's not going to happen. Uh we will, we will wind, I will beat doctor Andrews, and when we show her what her record is and what she supports, which is not South Carolina values.
Speaker 3: Congressman Ralph Norman, longtime member of the House of Representatives, member of the House Freedom Caucus, one of your hallmarks, Congressmen, is being a fiscal conservative. I assume that is coming up out on the campaign trail.
Speaker 1: We wish you luck.
Speaker 3: It's a It is a strange, unconventional, wild time in South Carolina politics. And we're grateful for you time today. Thanks for coming on the show.
Speaker 12: Okay, jeh, thank you us.
Speaker 1: All right, Ralph, take care of my friend.
Speaker 3: All right, let's talk gold, specifically our friends at Noble Gold Investments. You hear a lot about investing in gold and silver these days. The question is not should I have some? The question is who do I trust to do it for me? And I would submit to you that you should trust Noble Gold Investments. That's who I turn to. They take something that feels complicated, they make it simple. Whether you want bars and coins or put to put some gold in silver in an ir Noble Gold is there to guide you. They are respected, They are trusted precious metals dealers. You call Noble Gold and you say, here's my personal situation. Here are my personal questions. They give you answers that are tailored to your specific situation that is vital to know. Call Noble Gold at eight seven seven six four six five three four seven or visit Noblegoldinvestments dot com. Tell them Scott Jennings sent you new qualified accounts Get in America two fifty ten ounce US Independence silver Bar eight seven seven six four six five three four seven, or visit noblegold Investments dot com. When we come back, brand new polling out of Michigan. It's breaking news with the AARPS John Hishta after this, Hey, welcome back to the Scott Jennings Show, rounding out the hour with some breaking political news. You know, one of the biggest and most important states in this midterm is Michigan. There's a huge Senate race, there's a huge governor's race, and with some new polling on Michigan, our friend John Hishta from the AAARP is here and they've got this data fresh out of the field. John, you shared last month with us, you're Georgia data, now you're in Michigan.
Speaker 1: What's the top line? What do people need to know.
Speaker 2: Well, first of all, it's a dead heat in the Senate race and the Democrat nominee and the governor's.
Speaker 6: Race is up by a few points.
Speaker 2: At the end of the day, both races are tight and will continue to be tight.
Speaker 6: And what's interesting is seniors.
Speaker 2: Particularly those fifty plus, are extremely motivated to vote in this election, much more so than younger voters. I think the difference is fifteen points in terms of extremely motivated to vote between those fifty plus. It even gets larger when you look at the sixty five plus who are motivated to vote.
Speaker 6: The difference is almost eighteen points there.
Speaker 2: And so it would be incumbent upon the candidates and both of those races to focus on those voters who we know are going to show up at the polls. And as you know Scott and off year elections, fifty plus voters make up the majority of those who show up at the polls and.
Speaker 6: Vote, and so they're going to be a key voting block this year as well.
Speaker 3: John, let me go back over the top news here in the governor's race, you've got Jocelyn Benson the Democrat, ahead of John James, the Republican, forty nine to forty five, and in the Senate race, you've got a virtual dead heat. Abdul l Sied sits at forty eight and Mike Rodgers, the Republican, sits at forty seven. Now the top lines for voters ages fifty and up are a little different. John James leads Benson for governor by a point among fifty plus voters, and Mike Rodgers has a nine point lead over Abdul Lsied among voters fifty plus. But what I want to talk about is what you just said at the end there the motivation. Your polling finds that older voters are more motivated to participate in the election.
Speaker 1: Do I have that right?
Speaker 6: That is correct by a large amount.
Speaker 2: And so the other thing to keep in mind is that, as you know, Scott, in these races which are extremely tight, the candidates need to focus on those voters who are still up for grabs, and in this case, you have a significant slice of the fifty plus somewhere in the neighborhood of ten to.
Speaker 6: Fourteen percent who are still on the side and swing voters.
Speaker 2: Those are going to be the key for both candidates and both races to go after.
Speaker 3: All right, John, History with the aaarp as our guest, I have to ask, then, if you've got swing voters in that senior crowd, if you were running these races, what issues does the data tell you they need to look at and talk to these voters about them.
Speaker 2: I would look at it through the prism of affordability. But it's a little different when you get.
Speaker 6: To older age folks.
Speaker 2: And so the sixty five plus in particular, to them, social security is an affordability issue. They rely on it, they need it, and they want to make sure they have it.
Speaker 6: And so if I was advising candidates and.
Speaker 2: The Senate race, I would definitely focus on social security, Medicare, and healthcare costs because that is something that's very very important to them beyond just the everyday affordability costs. And if I was advising folks for governor, it would be the same thing, focus on affordability.
Speaker 3: John, let me ask you a question about medicare, because obviously this is important to vote sixty five plus. Abdul lsied in the center race, I mean the centerpiece of his campaign, one of them is Medicare for all. How do senior voters who rely on medicare view the idea of expanding that program to everybody. Is that something they welcome? Is that something that they're worried about? How would you recommend our audience understand Medicare for All in light of the senior voters here relying on Medicare as it currently exists.
Speaker 2: Well, I think that it remains to be seen what the details are for that Medicare for All means a lot of things to a lot of different people. But if I'm on Medicare, I want to make sure that it is run right and that I get the best bang for my buck to make sure that my healthcare has taken care of.
Speaker 6: So if I was advising a candidate to.
Speaker 2: Talk about Medicare, I would talk about things like lowering prescription drug costs, things like making sure you have access to doctors and so on and so Again, I think is a catchphrase that means a lot to a lot of different people. But if I was advising candidate to talk about Medicare, particularly as it relates to seniors, I would focus on what Medicare should be for those who have earned it, much like Social Security, because.
Speaker 6: They've paid into it over the course of their working lives.
Speaker 3: All right, That Voisher hearing today John Hishta with the AARP and he brings us the breaking news. AARP has released its brand new poll in Michigan. We have a dead heat in the Senate race, a dead heat, and we have Democrats with a small advantage in the race for governor. There's a lot of interest in senior voters. They are far more student voting than younger voters. There's a lot of swing voters in that crowd. And AARP has you covered on the issues that they care about. John Hisshta, thank you for being here. We take a break and when we come back, Interview of the Week with Mark Helper and legendary political journalists on the other side.
Speaker 1: Right after this, Welcome.
Speaker 3: Back to the show, Friday, August the twenty first. Grateful for your tuning in today to common sense for the American people. And this is a special edition of the Scott Jennings Show. We're going to try something new today. We're going to take the second hour of the show and offer a full exploration of someone in our politics or our culture who I think is interesting and making a difference. And our first subject in this new series is Mark Halprin, who is a journalist, political commentator, author, and the founder of the interactive media platform called two Way. I think it's one of the most interesting political commentary platforms operating today.
Speaker 1: Mark is on the leading edge.
Speaker 3: Of how the business of journalism and commentary is changing, and I can tell you from personal experience over the last twenty six years, Mark Halpren often knows what is happening or is going to happen in politics before every other journalist and political operative. I don't know how he does it, but somehow you know it's Mark Alpern.
Speaker 1: Welcome to the Scott Chenning Show.
Speaker 9: Scott, honored to be here, humbled by your kind words, and looking forward to being your guinea pig for the hour.
Speaker 3: Well, we're going to hop on the guinea pig wheel here together and see how it works. I want to start with your background. You've been around a long time, but let's go to the beginning. Where did your interest in politics and journalism actually start.
Speaker 9: I grew up in Washington, d C. My dad has had an extraordinary career. He's working on his memoirs now. Came to Washington in the Johnson administration, worked at the Pentagon, then switched right over to the Nixon administration, where he was hired by Henry Kissinger, with whom he taught at Harvard and has never left Washington.
Speaker 7: So my hometown paper was the Washington Post.
Speaker 9: And family friends were journalists and people in politics and government. And I believed when I was a young person what has animated my career, which is I have a fascination with America, and the best way to understand America to me is through the prism of our leaders, our elections, the voters of the country. And so I just grew up with that mentality. Again a bit of a paradox. I grew up literally, I'm living growing up about a mile outside the Beltway. But my mentality for my childhood and for my career was to try to understand the whole country and the world.
Speaker 3: Now, Mark, you joined ABC News in nineteen eighty eight, and you eventually became ABC's political director. You created this product called the Note, which I can tell you from having been a political operative during those years, was required reading in political circles.
Speaker 1: I want to ask you what is it that you.
Speaker 3: Understood then and what you understand now about the political media ecosystem that leads you to developing these products that are a little bit ahead of their time as it relates to distributing this political information and commentary to the American.
Speaker 7: People appreciate that.
Speaker 9: I think there's three things that I've tried to combine in my career that make me a little bit different than some others. Number One, be a traditional world class journalist, or at least aspire to be by doing all the basics, treating people with respect, carefully reporting stories, producing a product that's both information that's important and interesting. So number one is understanding the journalism. Number two is understanding the business. As you know Scott from hanging out with a lot of journalists. Most of them, if you ask them about where does your company make money or how does your company plan to make money next year, they have no interest in that.
Speaker 7: No understanding of that.
Speaker 9: But I've been interested in that whether I've been in old legacy media or new media. And then finally, and I think this may be the thing that speaks to my introduction of new products throughout my career is technology. Again, a lot of journalists don't think about distribution, they don't think about promotion. But I've spent my career no matter what my job was thinking about those things. Finding journalism, business and technology, I think is a extent I've had a success. I think it's been the unusual, a combination of thinking about and trying to excel at all three.
Speaker 3: At Voischer hearing on the Scott Jennings Show, journalist Mark Halper and Mark you over many many cycles, covered candidates, You covered presidents. She covered campaigns at the highest level of American politics. I want to ask if there was ever a moment when you realized that you had sort of transitioned from covering the political establishment to becoming part of it, because I think there for a while, and I think even now you're very much fixed as one of the most well known parts of what most average people would call the political establishment in this country.
Speaker 9: Well, I made references earlier when I said talking about growing up in the DC area, I grew up in Washington. I've lived in Manhattan almost my entire adult life, and I went to Harvard College Harvard University. That makes me a charter member of the establishment. But I've also covered politics in forty nine of the fifty states, and I covered President Trump in twenty fifteen and twenty sixteen rallies and talked to voters in more than thirty states.
Speaker 7: And I think that.
Speaker 9: Again, to the extent I've had success in my career, I understand the establishment pretty well, and guilty is charged Scott. There's some hallmarks on me that would suggest, yeah, that guy's in the establishment. But I can talk to anybody. I can go anywhere. I think I understand rural main I think I understand Chicago. I think I understand Elco, and I think I understand El Paso. I mean, it's not that hard. Americans are pretty open people. They're pretty welcoming people. So yeah, I'm a member of the establishment by some standards. But I've spent my career, and I think this is as much as anything I've done in my career to excel and differentiate. I've spent my career traveling Erica, talking to people, not necessarily political operatives, although I've talked to plenty of those, but talking to people throughout the country.
Speaker 7: I did a thing in New.
Speaker 9: Orleans for the Circus in twenty sixteen or twenty seventeen. I guess talking to some convention, some people from a CPA convention. We're having a lunch at a New Orleans buffet and there were CPAs about twenty of them, maybe from all over the country. I learned more talking to that conversation than a month with members of Congress.
Speaker 7: No offense to members of Congress.
Speaker 9: And that's what I've done throughout my career, tried to talk to real Americans where they live about what their aspirations, feares, hopes, dreams, possibilities are.
Speaker 3: This phase one part of your career, that's what I'm going to call it. You were ABC, you were Bloomberg, you referenced the show, the Circus, you had the book Game Change, of all of these different things that you were part of during that first major phase of your career.
Speaker 1: What were you most proud of during that time?
Speaker 9: Probably trying to bring fairness and traditional journalism practices to legacy media at a time when legacy media was in decline. I got there right at the end of the monopoly of ABC, CBS, NBC, Time, Newsweek, AP, New York Times, Washington Post, Wall Street Journal. When I started my career, there were about eight news organizations. They dominated everything. And as the news organizations became more superficial as they lost their monopoly and said, well, we got to cover less about healthcare policy and more about the real housewives of wherever. I'm proud of an effort to do news that was serious, and I'm proud, led by the man who was my mentor in my career, Peter Jennings of ABC News, to not be biased, to not cut off half of America who looked at the establishment media as liberally biased, not to be conservative media, just to say why would why would we only want to try to sell to half the customers in America? And I did that at a time in my career before there were people like you access to the airwaves to call out liberal bias, before Ari Fleischer was George Bush's press here to before it there became ways to call it out. I called it out both publicly and privately, and took a lot of heat for that. But it's the absolute right thing, not just for America and not just for conservatives, but for the news organizations I worked for whose liberal bias I felt that the time and still do endangered their business model. So probably those two things, serious journalism and an effort to try to write the ship on liberal bias.
Speaker 3: We're going to continue our conversation after this break with Mark halprin Mark. We'll talk about phase two of your career and the abrupt interruption that happened in your own life. Before we do, I want to talk to you all about sleeping arrangements, specifically on what bed do you sleep? I ask because if you're a hot sleeper like me, if you sometimes wake up and it's sweaty and you're sticking to the sheets, you may want a new mattress, and that mattress should be a ghost bed.
Speaker 2: Go.
Speaker 1: Thank you, Hollywood, Sean. That's exactly what I was hoping for. Ghost bed.
Speaker 3: Now, these mattresses are not haunted, but you will wake up shivering because they're so cool. You sleep so cool on a ghost bed, and my audience today can get ten percent off of a ghost bed. Every ghost bed mattress has this cooling technology. Less stiffness, deeper sleep, more rested mornings.
Speaker 1: Could all be yours. If you purchase a ghost bed, they'll give you.
Speaker 3: One hundred and one nights to try the ghost bed at home.
Speaker 1: Feel the difference for yourself.
Speaker 3: I don't want you to be frightened of anything other than how much you love ghost bed.
Speaker 1: Go to ghostbed dot com.
Speaker 3: Slash Jennings use promo code Jennings. That's ghostbed dot com slash Jennings. Use the promo code Jennings ghost bed. I vouch for it. Keep you nice and cool and very very comfortable. More with political journalist Mark Alprin After this, it's Scott Jennings on Salem.
Speaker 1: Stay with us.
Speaker 5: Conversation said stories you simply won't hear from the mainstream media.
Speaker 7: It's the Scott Jennings.
Speaker 1: Show, Friday, August to twenty first. Welcome back.
Speaker 3: Bit of breaking news before we return to our conversation with Mark Halpren told, the Supreme Court has just allowed President Trump to continue White House ballroom construction.
Speaker 1: For now.
Speaker 3: We'll track down this story for you and have details later. But that's the breaking news here in this second hour of common sense for the American people. Mark Alprin is our guest is the founder of the interactive media platform known as two Way, and he's a long time political journalist and political commentator.
Speaker 1: Mark.
Speaker 3: Thank you for being with us today and allowing us to explore your long and interesting career. Mark, Your career took an interruption in twenty seventeen. You had some workplace misconduct allegations during your years at ABC, you acknowledged behavior that you described as inappropriate, You apologized, and then almost overnight, you lost virtually every professional platform that you had. Looking back on that period, now, what did you learn about yourself when all of these things that you had been building and working for your whole life disappeared in the blink of an eye.
Speaker 9: Gratitude to my family and my real friends, Gratitude for those who believed in me. Gratitude for the opportunity in America to acknowledge missdes to not be subject to.
Speaker 7: The destruction of false allegations.
Speaker 9: If you have got a sense of perseverance and the capacity to try to get a fresh start.
Speaker 3: Second acts are sometimes hard to come by, and you're having one right now, and I think quite a successful second act. What does it take in America to earn a second act? Who deserves a second act in our culture these days?
Speaker 7: Well, I think every case is different.
Speaker 9: You know, Unfortunately, a lot of the declaration of cancelation is not facts based, not fact based. If a group of people doesn't need to be a very large group of people decide somebody should be canceled, facts don't matter, and that's unfortunate. I have so many friends who I always want to know the facts, so I wass asking them. But if so many friends who say to me, no one ever asked me the facts, you're the first person to ever ask me what the facts of the situation and are so I think unfortunately, we went through a period on a variety of issues in which there were savments of society that just decided without often with that, I would say, more often than not, without investigation, without due process, without fairness, that certain people just shouldn't be allowed to have lives. And you and I both know many people associated with President Trump who lost access to all sorts of things in their professional lives and often in their personal lives. And there may be may have been some softening of that in some quarters, but it's still a real danger to our society and still really a difficult thing to explain to young people who are taught on the one hand that the country has due process and the country has fairness, and the country has forgiveness. And on the other hand, sometimes a group of people just decide that a certain person isn't isn't allowed to go through life in a normal way. And like I said, I always ask people what the facts are, and typically even if even if they are a version of the facts that's in one hundred percent correct, usually differs pretty dramatically from the public record.
Speaker 1: Mark.
Speaker 3: After this happened, you stepped away from traditional media, and you took some time away from all of that, and while you were out, the media landscape changed dramatically. Did being shut out of traditional media force you or lead you to see its weaknesses more clearly and then allow you to build something new in the aftermath event.
Speaker 9: No, I've always, as an earlier conversation we had suggested, I've always seen the weaknesses in traditional media, and not just on the editorial side, but on the business side and on the technological side. Legacy media has some things that new media doesn't. If somebody blew up the federal building in Oklahoma City right now, Scott Jennings would not send fifty people to Oklahoma City to cover it. You just wouldn't. Just that's not what you're built to do. If Scott Jennings wanted to get the bottom of the Okazio Cortes administration's vaccination policy, you wouldn't be filing Freedom of Information Act requests or of suing If you didn't get the documents. Scott Jennings has no bureaus in Africa. So the old media, big places with the economies of scale to do stuff, they're important. But in the age in which we live, with the fragmentation of media, their dinosaurs and their business models don't work. I knew all that when I worked in there, and that's why throughout my career, as you mentioned with the note and other things I've done, when I was in legacy media, I was always entrepreneurial. I was always saying, my work will be excellent no matter what I do. It's just like the nature of my work. I need to be entrepreneurial. I need to understand how we're going to make money doing great work. And so in terms of the opportunities in new media, in terms of the differences in terms of the competitive advantages, I knew all about those when I was in legacy media, and I tried to bring those sensibilities and those advantages to legacy, as hard as that is. With the bureaucracy. I tried.
Speaker 3: Mark ten seconds before we go to our next break, who in news is worth watching today?
Speaker 1: Who do you pay most closely close attention to?
Speaker 9: Primarily Scott Jennings. Well that's a flattering answer. Thank you said, had only had said, only had ten seconds. Like most Americans, I don't watch much cable news, but I watched Scott Jennings on social media rolling his eyes at a parade of liberals.
Speaker 1: I love it all right.
Speaker 3: Mark Alpert is our special guest conversation Today.
Speaker 1: We're going to take a break.
Speaker 3: Before we do, let me talk to you about a documentary that has been produced about our friend Charlie Kirk. Just two weeks before his tragic assassination last September, he sat down for this final interview of his life to wrestle with a timeless question, does God.
Speaker 1: Still speak today?
Speaker 3: If you appreciate Charlie, and I know that if you're listening to this show you most likely do. And if you like conversations about faith and history and the public square, I think you'll find this new film compelling. It's called Can You Hear Me Now? Can pre order the film Can You Hear Me Now and get a free DVD of it at Salemnow dot com, or you can visit can You Hear Me nowfilm dot com. We take a break and come back with some current event punditry with our special conversation with Mark Alprin right after this.
Speaker 5: You want to drive a leftist crazy, tell the truth and keep smiling.
Speaker 6: This is the Scott Jennings.
Speaker 1: Show, Friday, August the twenty first.
Speaker 3: Our special guest today is political journalist Mark halpern.
Speaker 1: We'll get back to him in just a moment.
Speaker 3: A little bit more here on this breaking news out of the Supreme Court, Chief Justice John Roberts has issued a temporary order allowing construction on President Trump's White House ballroom project to continue. The Roberts order temporarily blocks a lower court ruling that would have halted the above ground work due to a lack of congressional approval. This will give the Supreme Court time to way the administration's emergency appeal. So for now, the construction continues. I suspect it will continue to continue in the weeks and months ahead. I don't know if Donald Trump will ever use that ballroom, but some future president most likely will. Talking to Mark halper and the founder of the Two Way political journalism platform, Mark, before we continue our conversation, tell our audience, for those not acquainted with it, how do they get involved with watch? Or interact with two Way tell us how to interface with what you do right now?
Speaker 9: Yeah, thank you for asking. It's a company I helped found. And although we do a lot of political program I just want to make clear it's not just for politics. It's for a game show, which we have, It's for music, arts, public policy, healthcare, personal finance, anything. Two Way dot tv is our website. You can also go to our YouTube channel two way dot tv and you can watch programs live or on demand. And if you want to participate, if you want to be able to be part of the conversation by raising your hand and getting to ask me or anybody on one of my shows or my colleague shows a question, you just go to two way dot tv and register and be part of it on the YouTube page and get a sense of what the shows are like. And we're adding shows and we'll be adding a lot more in the coming weeks and months.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Mark, you're on there, of course.
Speaker 3: Who are some of the other personalities that folks would find on two way dot tv.
Speaker 9: Yeah, so, I host a show in the morning called The Morning Meeting with Kevin Walling is a democratic strategist. You might have seen him on The Five and other shows on Fox and elsewhere. And then Larry O'Connor who's a conservative talk show host on Salem I Believe and Yeah, they host with me in the morning. And then we have a bunch of people who rotate through as well. Eric Erickson is one of our regulars as well. A guy named Hima Moore who used to be the chief of staff of the DNC.
Speaker 7: Megan McCain has a show.
Speaker 9: There's also a program from an actor named Ethan Soupley who lost hundreds of pounds, and the shows about it's called Lifelong. It's about making a commitment to public to personal health, weight loss, stand off drugs and alcohol, learning how to cope with all the problems that come when someone doesn't, how.
Speaker 7: To eat right and be healthy.
Speaker 9: And then we have our game show as well, hosted by different people including meganos the game show at times too.
Speaker 7: Those are some of the shows we have now. And as I said, more coming.
Speaker 1: That's Mark Halper and the founder of two Way.
Speaker 3: I just pulled it up here live, interactive, authentic and conversations like no other. It's two way dot TV, the number two the wordway dot TV. I'd encourage you to check it out. It's quite interesting. All right, Mark, let's get back to our political conversation. Let me ask you this, if you had to describe the political environment in America right now in one sentence, what would it be.
Speaker 9: A yearning to produce a better life for kids and grandkids by fundamentally changing the power between.
Speaker 7: The governed and the governors?
Speaker 1: Is there is?
Speaker 3: Is that what is driving most of our politics right now just sort of a fundamental distrust of, or discussed with the institutional elites who run our government and frankly other large institutions in this country.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I think, as much as anything else, is what fuel Donald Trump's rise, and even though he's been president now for six years, I think it fuels a lot of the MAGA movement. It's what fuels the Democratic Socialists and Senator Sanders. And you look at what's going on with data centers where someone is dedicated to the free market and technological advantage, as Mike Rogers, Republican synd candidate in Michigan has now called for one year moratorium on data centers in Michigan. There's there's a there's a there's an optimistic country. It's a hopeful country. It's a country that wants our kids and grandkids to have more opportunity than we do. And what people see and it's backed by the data. That's they're not paranoid to think it too much power, too much wealth, concentrated in the hands of a few at the expense of the many, As doctor El said, Mike Roger's opponent says, the man the money over the many. And I think that is the strongest force in American politics. And it's not just on the far left and the far right. You go to a suburban potluck dinner in almost any suburb in America and you'll hear the same thing. The elites have too much power and they're not using it for the benefit of the many when it comes to income, when it comes to health. And that's not a liberal thing. Conservatives, i think, believe the same thing. The elites in this country have not governed correctly, and people want better governance that doesn't involve reliance on career politicians.
Speaker 3: You're raised mark One of the issues that is rising in many of these campaigns around the country, and that is the issue of data centers tell us do people have legitimate concerns about data centers, or are we living through mass hysteria that is fueled by online propaganda, which is closer to the truth.
Speaker 7: They're both.
Speaker 9: They're both true, and I know you were trying to set up the polls and understand why, but they're both true. There are legitimate complaints, and I really do think the people who run the AI companies, who are amongst literally the smartest people who've ever walked the face of the earth, have been absolute effing morons when it comes to understanding their obligation to society and basic public relations.
Speaker 7: One oh one.
Speaker 9: You can't have a bunch of millionaires and billionaires be the spokespeople for something that not only is probably going to be the most significant technological revolution in America, and technological revolutions always come with job loss, but something that is scary to people. And you can't make the physical manifestation of this scary, vague new technology, giant build ugly buildings, built in people's backyards. It's this malpractice that they've done it this way. This administration came in with a very definitive attitude, informed by the Biden folks. The Biden folks said to the industry, you got to be regulated. We got to regulate you. We're not going to make the mistake we made with social media. You've got to be regulated. And the industry supported President Trump in large part because President Trump and his team said, no, we're going to beat China by empowering this industry. And then they put David Sacks, a very smart man, in charge of this and David Sachs is a I would say absolutist, but pretty close to saying no regulation. Okay, so you have an industry with no sense of public relations, You've got an administration with a high fidelity to no regulation of this sector. And then in the real world that backfired, and didn't just backfire with liberals and socialists, it backfired with people across the political spectrum. You and I have never lived through, with the possible exception of attitudes towards same sex marriage, we have never lived through such a dramatic change in public opinion in such a short period of time. And so now I think through the election through the interim is going to be a pandorama who can accuse the other side more fervently of being in the pocket of big Big Ai. And then hopefully after the election there'll be a more rational conversation because yes, there's paranoia about it, but there are also real concerns that someone's gonna have to find a way to solomon like navigate their way through the proper level of regulation here.
Speaker 3: And based on your review of the polls and what you see the two parties doing and arguing right now, do you have a sense of which party stands to politically benefit more from this environment in November? Will it be the Democrats or the Republicans who get on top of this better and make it work for them in individual.
Speaker 9: Races specifically AI and data centers.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, this is well.
Speaker 3: Look, I mean we're seeing ads like in Ohio and we're seeing ads that are all about data centers coming on an attack against Houston for instance.
Speaker 9: Right, So, so Republicans Democrats have two advantages. To answer your question, who's going to win this? Republicans have two. Democrats have two advantages. Number One, the Republican Party, thanks to the Trump administration, is the party of big big AI. They just a factual matter, they've been more sympathetic to it. And number two, uh, many of the Republican candidates in the in the most high profile races have a longer and more robust history of speaking favorably about Big AI. So that's two advantages of the Democrats have. The advantage the Republicans have is I believe their cash advantage may be over a billion and a half dollars, and most of the Democrats who are running on the ballot have also been favorable towards AI. Governor Shapiro in Pennsylvania flip flop this week from pro AI to Semianti. But there's plenty to say about what he said in the past, and and and more money to do. More advertising and voter contact on that issue will help Republicans. On balance, I believe that this will be an issue that works if you go to the key races like Ohio Senate, if you go to if you go to.
Speaker 7: Texas Senate.
Speaker 9: On balance and the targeted races, Democrats should do better on this issue, should be a larger beneficiary. But like with most of the things on the midterms, I want to see how your friend James Blair spends a billion and a half dollars more than the Democrats to try to try a different view of which parties in the pocket of Big AI.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there's no doubt the Republicans have a cash advantage here and deploying that is going to make a huge difference in these races. We've got a minute and a half here, Mark Befhere we take our next break. I want to I want to ask you about the midterms. Who which chamber is most likely to change hands? Is it the House of the Senate?
Speaker 9: It's the House, It has been the House, and it will be the House no matter what happens.
Speaker 7: Between now in November.
Speaker 9: They both could and and and On the current track, Democrats could win a surprisingly large number of Senate seats could on this current track, But the House is a much easier play for the Democrats to win the majority.
Speaker 1: On the Senate side.
Speaker 3: Do you think Texas and Iowa are genuinely competitive or is this Democrats again? Sort of you know, looking at a mirage off in the distance, wind up investing, only to be disappointed at the end.
Speaker 9: I have been the leading person in my profession. How long do we have, Scott, I don't.
Speaker 3: Want to have we got to Yeah, I'll give you the last one minute here, give me a minute, Okay.
Speaker 9: I have throughout my career been the leading person in my business saying Democrats are wasting their time and money in Texas. Maybe someday the demographics will be different. So that constant posture. I never thought Beato had a chance. I never thought any of these folks had a chance. That posture gives me the credibility to say on the current trajectory. Inexplicably James Tallerica, who said fifteen things would normally disqualify a Democrat from being the first Democrat in three generation, three decades to win.
Speaker 7: A seat state wide.
Speaker 9: He's the favorite until and unless Paxton demonstrates that it will work for this, raise the money for this, that someone will put in the money, because he can't go in with five million dollars and say you're going to save Paxton. If you're going to save Paxton, you got to come in with fifty five million plus. So until somebody does that, and until he shows he can answer questions, until he shows he will work hard.
Speaker 7: Yes, Tallarico is the favorite.
Speaker 9: It's not just that it's a competitive he's the favorite Iowa. It's the complicated race. The governor's race makes it hard to analyze the center race. But yes, those two races are genuinely competitive as of today.
Speaker 3: After the break, we're going to look beyond the November election. Mark Halpern is our guest. He maintains one of the most closely watched rankings of the potential twenty twenty eight presidential candidates. We'll talk to Mark about who is rising and who is falling, and who Mark Halpern believes is most likely to lead the Democrat and Republican parties in twenty twenty eight. We take a break. It's common Sense for the American People. Scott Jennings is on Salem.
Speaker 1: Stay with us, common Sense for the American People.
Speaker 7: The scotch Atty Show.
Speaker 3: Rounding out the week with our friend from two Way dot TV, Mark Halpern, legendary political journalist.
Speaker 7: Mark.
Speaker 3: You maintain a list of rankings of Democrats most likely to win the presidential nomination in twenty twenty eight. You update it monthly. Your next update will come in early September. For August, you had it this way. Shapiro Newsome, Boodhage, Edge, Kamala Harris, AOC, Bernie Sanders, John Assoff, and Mark Kelly. First question, are we going to see a major shakeup when you reorder these folks in September.
Speaker 7: We are.
Speaker 9: I just read a piece for the Free Press of at AOC. I'm moving her up. I lay out in the piece, which I'll do as part of the rankings, just how much stronger I believe she is now than she was. Bernie Sanders is probably not going to run. I'm the only one who thinks he might, but he probably won't because of his age. He'll want someone to lead the movement in AOC are good friends. I don't believe they'll think Rocanna is up for it. And although I think she's reluctant to run, I think she might be carried in at the way George Bush described running in two thousand as like he was a quark on a raging river. I think that metaphor may apply to her right now the demand for a progressive candidate, because there's nobody else besides her and Bernie and Rocana, I think the demand may be so high she runs, and if she does, I think your chances for the nomination are quite high at this point.
Speaker 3: Do you think the changes to the Democrat National Committee primary calendar hurt, help or make no difference to a candidate like AOC.
Speaker 9: I think the conventional wisdom is that they hurt because South Carolina's first.
Speaker 7: I have a different view. I don't know.
Speaker 9: I think it's too soon to say, because the only reason the early states matter is because the press say they do. That's the only reason these days will not be sync with the Republican days. These days will not will be in a lot of states with no political tradition. Even South Carolina's political tradition of first the nation is not the same as rich as Iowa and New Hampshire. So I think if you take any state in the Union, Scott, I think the Progressives have twenty percent minimum up to forty percent, twenty percent and forty percent in between. That's more than enough to win every one or at least finish top three. And whereas South Carolina when he used to go third or fourth was a problem for more liberal candidates because it was kind of the firewall for the establishment, going first means AOC doesn't need to win it.
Speaker 7: If it's fourth, she needs to win it.
Speaker 9: So I think the conventional wisdom that the Progressives are hurt by South Carolina moving first is one.
Speaker 7: Hundred percent wrong.
Speaker 9: Probably we don't know for sure, but that'd be my guess I think she can finish in the top three in all first six states and going to Super Tuesday with the most delegates.
Speaker 3: Is there a candidate that is currently not on your list that you're keeping an eye on that could be a little bit of a sleeper and find themselves in position sort of to make a late move here to get the nomination.
Speaker 9: I don't believe in sleepers. Suggest there's no such thing. People say, well, Barack Obama was a sleeper. Barack Obama was talked about as a potential president when you went to Harvard Law School. People say Donald Trump was a sleeper. Donald Trump talked about running for president for twenty five years. I just don't believe in sleepers. Now, my list only has eight and there have been people who've been on it and off it, So there may be somebody who's been on it in the past who's not on it this month.
Speaker 7: But no, I don't I believe.
Speaker 9: I believe the field is the field because there's at least a couple people on this list who aren't going to let some outsider come in and just steal the thing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I continue to believe that Kamala Harris has more strength as a possible nominee than some.
Speaker 1: People give her credit for.
Speaker 7: But she is.
Speaker 3: I see you have her fourth and I think she's a stronger possibility than some people think.
Speaker 1: We got about a minute and a half part I want to get Yeah, go ahead.
Speaker 9: Go ahead, sorry, go ahead, just quickly. Every month she's the most controversial. I do reporting with about fifty folks, mostly Democrats, some Republicans. Some people every month say she should be number one, and some people every month say she shouldn't be on the list.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I can imagine you get strong opinions. Let's close out. We got about a minute I want to do the Republicans. Are you one hundred percent convinced that Jade Vance is going to run for president?
Speaker 9: No, he just had a kid. You've got you've got four kids? Or five kids?
Speaker 1: Four?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 7: Forget how many kids do you get? Four? He's just had a fourth kid. Uh, yeah, he does.
Speaker 9: He would you would you start running for president right after your first kid was last kid was born. I just think it's not a sure thing. I think if he does run, I think he's a mortal lock for the nomination. With Donald Trump and Marco Rubio's endorsement, and I think it's close to mortal lock. You'll pick Rubio's his running name, but no, it's not a sure thing he's going to run.
Speaker 3: Mark Alprin, you've been a great conversation today. Before we go in twenty seconds, tell the people where are all the places we can find Mark Alpern.
Speaker 9: Two Way dot Tv, the video podcast. Next up on the Making Kelly Network. And if you want a premium product, it costs a lot. But if you want a premium product read by most of the most powerful people in politics and business in America, go to walking Down dot com slash.
Speaker 7: Mark and read about my concierge coverage newsletter.
Speaker 3: All right, that's Mark Halpern, American political journalist and political commentator. Mark, you were a good guinea pig. That's the first in a series of I think we're gonna do this more. I think this work. You were You were really good with the uh uh with the format today, and I think we're gonna try it again. We take a break, more news on this radio station after this.
Speaker 1: You got it. Thanks Mark, We'll see you guys on Monday. It's Scott. I'm out of here.