Speaker 1: Life Audio Dennis Deennis Jennis Dennis Prager.
Speaker 2: Do you have a question you've always wanted to ask Dennis Prager. Well, now it's your opportunity for upcoming Ask Me Anything episodes of Timeless Wisdom with Dennis Praguer. We're inviting you to leave Dennis a voicemail. He'll personally answer selected questions, and your question could be featured on a future episode. Whether it's about faith, morality, politics, history, relationships, happiness, or simply navigating life, Dennis would love to hear from you. Just call eight seven seven two four three seven seven seven six and leave your question. Oh and be sure to include your first name and where you're calling from. That's eight seven seven two four three seventy seven seventy six. While we can't feature every question, Dennis will listen to every voicemail. So call today you may hear Dennis Prager answering your question on an upcoming episode of Timeless Wisdom with Dennis Prager. And thanks for listening and supporting. Dennis Bragger on today's episode of Timeless Wisdom.
Speaker 3: I mean, do you think Hitler really inside of his heart? Do you think he could be happy? He was a happy person to himself thinking that what he was doing was the right thing.
Speaker 4: Question, is the first most important to become a better man? Or is it more important to become a better father or like a better husband? Is there a priority?
Speaker 5: I wondered what kind of airsoft gun you use?
Speaker 6: Your opinion? How much of a role do you think God plays and finding by for a husband.
Speaker 7: For a person.
Speaker 8: My wife and I kind of have a little disagreement, and it's nothing serious or intense, but I drink a bottle of wine a night, which adds up to about two and a half to three glasses of wine. I think yes, And do he thinks that I'm an alcoholic?
Speaker 9: I have a question. A client of ours ask us if we would make a contribution to a charity that they were raising money for. When we looked up the charity on the website, it stands for everything that we don't.
Speaker 2: That's coming up on Timeless Wisdom with Dennis Prager. Welcome to Timeless Wisdom with Dennis Prager. Here thousands of hours of Dennis's lectures courses in classic radio programs. Had to purchase Dennis Prager's Rational Bibles. Go to Dennisprager dot com.
Speaker 1: I try to have you set the agenda on this hour. One eight praguer six twenty bucks. That is one eighth prager p is a pneumonia r A g e er seven seven six or eight seven seven two four three triple seven six. Whatever you'd like to ask me anything. It could be silly, it could be trivial. What is my favorite color? That would be actually allowable.
Speaker 10: I don't know. If I have one favorite color.
Speaker 1: Then that does that tell anything about you? By the way, I love that stuff. Oh tell me your favorite color and I will tell you your entire personality trait system of personality traits.
Speaker 10: I love that stuff, but I ad.
Speaker 1: A little a little suspicious, but I don't know, maybe maybe that's true. I love it anyway. And we begin with in the Yakima, Washington and Jeremy Jeremy Dennis Prager height.
Speaker 8: Very glad to talk to you.
Speaker 10: Thank you.
Speaker 8: You see but the screener wrote what I wanted.
Speaker 1: To Well, yeah, but nobody else saw it, so okay, tell you have to say it right.
Speaker 11: Yeah.
Speaker 8: Well, my wife and I kind of have a little disagreement and it's nothing serious or intense, but I drink a bottle of wine a night, which adds up to about two and a half to three glasses of wine. I think yes, and he thinks that I'm an alcoholic, and I disagree, And you know, it's it's all mostly said and fun, you know, but I was just wondering your opinion.
Speaker 1: Well, it's a it's a fascinating question, which shows that alcoholic doesn't seem to have a very scientific definition, does she?
Speaker 10: Let me ask you the following.
Speaker 1: And I don't claim to be an expert in this arena, but I do have common sense and I have dealt with the issue in others. Let me ask you a few questions. Number one, does it change your behavior? No?
Speaker 8: I never get violent.
Speaker 10: I never Well, no, I mean in any in any way?
Speaker 1: I mean how well, how does it change your behavior? If you get happier? I mean, it may get better.
Speaker 8: Probably smile a little bit more. That there's nothing beyond that.
Speaker 10: Does she like when you smile more?
Speaker 3: She does?
Speaker 1: Okay, so the effects of it she likes. She's just worried that this may be a bad sign. Let me ask you question number two. Okay, I assume you do not operate a motor vehicle after this.
Speaker 10: Okay.
Speaker 8: Question number three not to that point, either I really have no.
Speaker 1: Really, you would not measure having no if there were a breath test, you would not actually be considered driving under the influence.
Speaker 8: Oh, probably under a breath test. That's why I don't do it. Okay, fight and I don't want to risk Okay.
Speaker 10: Next? Next, do you drink at other times during of the day?
Speaker 12: No?
Speaker 10: Do you want to?
Speaker 8: No? Not unless we're out to eat for a special occasion.
Speaker 1: Right, fourth or fifth? Can you go for five days without it?
Speaker 8: If I want to? But I haven't seen any need to.
Speaker 1: If I gave you one thousand dollars, would yes? If I gave you five hundred, would you?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 10: I gave you one hundred?
Speaker 5: Probably?
Speaker 1: Yeah, tell your wife all these things. Okay, Really, I think that if you would even consider leaving it for one hundred dollars for five days, you're either very poor or quite in control of your drinking.
Speaker 10: Do you ever miss a night?
Speaker 6: Uh?
Speaker 8: Yeah, yeah I do?
Speaker 1: And and and what are your what is your behavior? Then you get you get down? Or does it Does it feel like a withdrawal?
Speaker 8: No, it doesn't feel like a withdrawal. I may get a slight headache, but there's really nothing uh huh.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean maybe of us will call him and tell me why I'm wrong, But it doesn't sound like a problem to me. And I don't even drink, so okay, okay, thank you very much. Interesting question, indeed, and uh this is powerful. This is powerful. Sherboy again Wisconsin. Rick, Hello, Rick, Dennis Prager.
Speaker 7: Mister Prager. It's an honor to talk.
Speaker 10: To you, sir. Thank you. I'm well appreciated.
Speaker 7: Hey, I just have a question. I'm walking my daughter tomorrow down the aisle. Congratulations, Well, thank you, And I'm just wondering what you would say if you have a daughter, what you would say as you were or right before you walk.
Speaker 1: I would tell that is such a great alan. Put that down for a subject for an hour.
Speaker 10: This is a great question.
Speaker 1: And off the top of my head, I would tell every woman marrying, and whether my daughter or sister or friend, I would say, you unless the man is a jerk, which in which case nothing matters. But if he's not a jerk, and most men are not jerks, but if unless he is, you will set the happiness of the home. You will set. You are the minister of the marital. Marital minister of the interior of the marital kingdom, and that you must know that that that is just the way it is. That is the way it is designed by God or nature. You pick, you pick it.
Speaker 10: And your.
Speaker 1: How you how you bring him and your marriage joy. He will respond, But you are the one essentially in charge of marital happiness.
Speaker 7: Oh, it's very interesting.
Speaker 1: I do believe that, and I don't think that there are many in our egalitarian age. Everything is assumed to be fifty to fifty, which is a catastrophe. A catastrophe. There are obligations that fall more on men, and there are responsibilities that fall more on women.
Speaker 7: Right right, Well, I thank you very much. I really enjoy your program.
Speaker 1: Let me know what happens, and congratulations to you.
Speaker 10: Thank you very much.
Speaker 1: Well, maybe at some point tomorrow I will be thinking of this man of Rick walking his daughter down the aisle somewhere in Sheboygan, Wisconsin. It's very touching, isn't it. Power of radio You enter people's lives like this. I love it.
Speaker 10: I do.
Speaker 1: Every day is every day is more exciting than the previous. And we start with Kelly in Pasadena. Hello, Kelly, Dennis Prager. Hello, Kelly, I would like it. Hello, y, I don't hear a thing.
Speaker 9: I'm here.
Speaker 10: It's strange you do, now I do?
Speaker 9: Can you hear me?
Speaker 10: Now? I do? Yes?
Speaker 9: Hi, Hi, I have a question. A client of ours asked us if we would make a contribution to a charity that they were raising money for. When we looked up the charity on the website, it stands for everything that we don't.
Speaker 10: Oh and they don't know that.
Speaker 9: Oh they do know that.
Speaker 1: Well then that that's a really, that's a that's terribly selfish. I would never do that to somebody. No, really, that's why. No, it's not a matter of pushy. That's just unfair to you. I don't mind pushy if the charity is, you know, kids in wheelchairs or something, uh where you know, to neutral charity. But I assume that this is a political one.
Speaker 9: It's a political Well I went.
Speaker 1: To see if I would never do that. I would never do that to anybody. I mean, that's so that's so wrong. I mean, that's morally wrong what.
Speaker 10: This person did. It's not a matter of pushy at all.
Speaker 1: If the person's pushy for something that that does not affect you ethically. I mean, I have I can you is it on the left, this charity. Okay, can you imagine? I mean, it would be just as wrong if you were liberals and somebody came to you and said, listen, i'd like you to give I'm a client of yours. I want you to give to the Republican National Committee.
Speaker 9: Well, we were going to ask her to do that in in uh as a as a giveback, but we haven't done that yet.
Speaker 1: I God, I'd love to interview this woman. That's my way of saying I want to slap them, but I I I really would. I'd like to I'd like to ask ask that all right away. It's totally wrong. What she asked of you is wrong. One should never ask anybody to donate to a political charity. It's not right unless they know that they're in full agreement, right.
Speaker 10: Okay, okay, all right, thank you. Yeah, that's morally wrong.
Speaker 1: As I say, pushy's fine for a I mean, pushy people get things done. I mean I don't tend to be a pushy person, but I acknowledge that we need them, alrighty, And in Los Angeles it's Bruce, Hello, Bruce Dennis Prager.
Speaker 10: Yeah, Hi, how are you doing good things?
Speaker 13: Good? Capital punishment. You take the view that you're in favor of capital punishment. What would you think of this idea that anybody who's convicted of a murder be not only sentenced to prison, but they'd be put into a box where they're literally welded in, never to come out again until they come.
Speaker 11: Out feet first, so the society.
Speaker 13: Would never have to worry about that person ever getting back into society and doing more harm. And then take school kids every second or third year and take them on trips through prisms where they could see these walls where these people are locked in and never never to come up.
Speaker 10: Bruce, Bruce, you're cracking me up.
Speaker 1: So basically what you're saying is, let's not kill them, let's torture them for their entire life.
Speaker 13: Well, I don't know if it would they be tortured or wouldn't.
Speaker 1: They welded up in a box? Yep, yeah, I think that that.
Speaker 10: You know.
Speaker 1: I don't use the word torture loosely like the Abu grab folks, but that would constitute torture to me. I simply believe that if I take your life, I deserve to lose mind. It's very simple, but not simplistic back in a moment on The Dennis Prager Show.
Speaker 2: This episode of Timeless Wisdom will continue right after this No to more of Dennis Prager's Timeless Wisdom.
Speaker 1: All Right, everybody, this is the hour that you set the agenda, whatever's on your mind. On the Dennis Prager Show. I'm in never rethinking my answer to the guy who drinks a bottle of wine a night. Everything I said I stand by, actually everything I asked you. But I understand the wife's concern. I don't think that I in fact, I'm sure I didn't articulate any sympathy.
Speaker 10: For her worry about you. That is a lot.
Speaker 1: I mean, I don't wouldn't call you an alcoholic because I don't even know what the term is, and I generally judge things by their effect, and your willingness to forego it easily was a good sign. But a bottle of night is a lot. And I think it would put me at ease if if my spouse were drinking a bottle, if they would make it a half a bottle night. But I uh, I don't want to give you a hard time. I don't want to give her a hard time, but it's it was a very interesting question.
Speaker 10: And let us go.
Speaker 1: To Mike and Van Nuys, California. Hello, Mike Dennis, Hi, Mike, Hi, Hi, how you doing?
Speaker 6: Great question for you your opinion? How much of a role do you think God plays and finding by for a husband, for a person.
Speaker 10: It's a great question.
Speaker 1: You will love this answer, or at least it's not the whole answer, but you.
Speaker 10: Will love this.
Speaker 1: There is a very strong Jewish tradition that asks the question, what has God been doing since he finished creating, since the sixth Day? What's God been doing? And the traditional answer that is given is miss a vague zugot, which means bringing couples together, which I've always laughed at because or not at, but left with because it shows how complex bringing the right people to the right people is. That that takes up God's whole time. Now, of course.
Speaker 10: It's not meant.
Speaker 1: To be literally taken, but it gives an idea of how complex it is and that it would take God to figure it out. In so many cases, I would say that they're undoubtedly are people. Undoubtedly there are people who have met somebody and it was God who helped facilitate their meeting. I believe that. I believe it, and I wouldn't. I would go so far as to say that there may be even people who divorce who God brought together for whatever reason that they did. So it's not even it's not even dependently on the marriage. Last that God may have well brought two people together for whatever reasons.
Speaker 10: So I am.
Speaker 1: I am very much a believer, but I don't know. I don't say that God brought every two people who were together together. Certainly I would not say that about Hollywood stars, only because of the nature of the and the fleetingness of the of the romance.
Speaker 10: But yes, I do believe.
Speaker 1: If I believe that God is active, I don't know exactly when, although in my own life I certainly have such beliefs. In Burbank, California, David Hello, David.
Speaker 5: Hi, Dennis Hi, I wondered what kind of airsoft gun you use?
Speaker 1: Oh, you're you're talking to a newly minted mavin on this subject, I got to tell you. Playing with my son and his friends, shooting them and getting shot at, it's a right. So I now have I now have two spring ones and I have one gas. My son has one electric. But we have very strong rules, many including that everybody has to use the same type. You can't have an electric versus a spring. That's not fair. Also, you can never use an electric on automatic you know the guy machine guns. Of course they'll get you any time.
Speaker 5: Do you play around the house or do you go to an organized thing?
Speaker 10: No?
Speaker 1: No, no, around the house in the yard, and we use trees as places to hide.
Speaker 5: They don't make a mess those balls they do.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that is correct, and I am sure that we have ruptured a number of the lawnmowers which pick up plastic pellets. But no, if you use the plastic ones, it's not going to rupture anything. There are ones out of aluminum that that may be tougher. I happen to like. Of all of them, spring is the most skill because you have to reload every time, not reload but you know, what do you call it?
Speaker 10: Yeah? Recock it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but there's a blast intended to the gas, which I get a big kick out of that. You can actually, you know, just every time you pull the trigger. I did not think I'd get into this, but it is a lot of fun and kids just they love when the dad plays with them. It really means a lot to them. And I say this to all the fathers listening that when you can do what you're if you can do sometimes what your kid wants go to their level. It is and it's a really meaningful thing to them. And so they they he and his friends just love when I play. And I'm delighted that they love when I play. You and I do, and big target. Not only that, listen to this. They all dress. This is hilarious. They get ready as if they are going to Iraq. They get into you know, garb. They wear all black, not to be seen as easily. Meanwhile, I'm six four and in shorts, long white legs standing out. I mean, I get I don't think.
Speaker 10: I have one.
Speaker 5: Should came paint your leg?
Speaker 1: Yeah, right, exactly, that's what that's right, green and black exactly look like a tree.
Speaker 10: That is right.
Speaker 1: Well, you tell me what you get when you when you finally get one. Okay, all right, thanks very much, all right, Bob, I really do. I get such a kick out of it. And uh, you know, I would be more than happy to discuss with any parent. Well, but my kid is playing with guns, I'd be more than happy. But since it's not raised, I'm going to get to what am I going to do?
Speaker 10: Since it was raised, I will avoid it.
Speaker 1: That's it, okay, alrighty to Sandy and Denver Denver, I just said, Denver, Hello, Sandy, Dennis Prager, Hi Dennis.
Speaker 14: Thank you for taking my call.
Speaker 2: I admire you so much, thank you so much.
Speaker 9: And I'm trying to read the books you recommend, of all the people you interview in your books too.
Speaker 15: But I'm also wondering if you read fiction.
Speaker 1: I made a decision many years ago on two grand that I unfortunately don't read fiction. It's extremely rare, and yes, the reasons are not that there is not an immense amount to be learned. There is, but I have no choice.
Speaker 10: I have to. I have to know simp.
Speaker 1: I simply have to know so much of what has actually happened and is actually happening that I just can't afford that time. Secondly, I read slowly. If I read fast, and I envy fast readers, I've never been and will never be, probably although there are speed reading things that help. But for what I have to read and mark up everything I read. I mark up every every book, every article. I read slowly, Wow, and therefore I would read a work of fiction in the time that I you know, it would take too long. But there are works of fiction that I read earlier in my life that remain with me much more than almost any work of nonfiction. Great fiction is awesome, is awesome. The fact that I don't read it is no reflection on it. It is just yes, so all right. On the other hand, one should not read only fiction. In my opinion, one does need to know, One needs to know what has happened or what is happening. But for many people fiction is their TV, and frankly it's fall super infinitely superior to TV. So you enjoy yourself if you do, Sandy, read fiction. But if I could have any book great history.
Speaker 2: This episode of Timeless Wisdom will continue right after this. Mister Freger, my name is Gregory.
Speaker 10: I'm a direct descentant of the World.
Speaker 11: War two generation.
Speaker 10: Take care yourself and welcome back.
Speaker 11: Maybe all money can keep you safe and well, and the same thing with the rest of your family.
Speaker 2: So are you enjoying timeless wisdom? We'd love to hear from you. Call eight seven seven, two four three seventy seven, seventy six and leave a review, share your thoughts or just even an encouraging word for Dennis. Your voicemail might just make it on the show. That's eight seven seven two four three seventy seven seventy six. That's eight seven seven two four three triple seven six. Thanks for listening and for your support. Now back to more of Dennis Prager's timeless wisdom.
Speaker 1: All right, let me take a really tough one, and I mean it. This is I never thought about this one. I'm gonna have to respond spontaneously in English, Indiana. You pronounce it English or English? John, Hello, Dennis, Hi is an English or English English, just as the language English Indiana, John, go ahead.
Speaker 16: Hi, Yes, sir, this is John from your last two cruises.
Speaker 10: Oh, Hi John.
Speaker 6: Hi.
Speaker 16: So that's a pleasure to talk to you again.
Speaker 10: Thank you.
Speaker 16: I wondered I've heard you say if you were a parent, and would you rather your child smoke a cigarette or cheat on a test?
Speaker 10: Right?
Speaker 16: And I wanted to know what you would say in regarding to marijuana.
Speaker 1: Right, that's a great question. And I said I had never actually thought it through, and I'm going to do it with you on the air. When I asked the question of parents, would you rather your teenager smoke a cigarette or cheat on a test. What I am contrasting is are you more concerned with your child's character or your child's eventual and I mean really far down the road health. And to me, there's no question I rather my child smoke a cigarette than cheat on a test. However, I don't think that the problem with marijuana is a health problem. So where now we've now changed the question because I do believe and this will this will disturb a lot of people, and I don't mean to disturb them, and I may well be wrong, but my inclination is not to regard marijuana and and certainly not the more intense or heavier drugs as just health problems. I regard them as character problems. And so what you're asking me, in a sense, is between two character problems. I think that a high school kid smoking a joint is an issue. I think almost anybody smoking a jointing, I mean, except I don't have a problem with cancer patients having marijuana or anything like that.
Speaker 10: It's a non issue to me.
Speaker 1: That that's that's to me crazy, It's crazy that somebody could alleviate some pain with cancer with marijuana should be banned.
Speaker 10: I don't. I don't, I don't. I don't want to go there.
Speaker 1: Well, it is, it's it's heartless in the worst sense of the word. But but for the the problem is that a lot of people fight for legalization of marijuana, use the good intentions of the great majority of Americans to get the door opened to legalizing marijuana generally, and will abuse it.
Speaker 10: That's the problem.
Speaker 1: But in and of itself, of course, a cancer patient should have the ability to access a joint. I mean, it blows my mind all right anyway. But having said all that, outside of certain circumstances, the reliance on getting high is very, very troubling to me for the development of one's character, as is cheating on a test. So now we're talking apples apples, and therefore I don't know exactly. I would have to know the circumstances under which each of them happened. How often is the cheating? How often was the marijuana a one time experiment? Was the cheating a one time experiment, you understand, But to me, the eventual health benefits pale before character developments. But I do regard the use of marijuana as a character issue as cheating on.
Speaker 16: A test Okay, yes, I understand.
Speaker 10: All right, Thank you very very much. I hope I got that.
Speaker 1: That was a tough one, Alrighty one to eight Prager seven to seven six in Minneapolis, Tony, Hello, Tony, Dennis.
Speaker 4: Prager, Hi, Dennis, thank you for taking my call.
Speaker 10: Thanks for calling.
Speaker 4: First, I must preface by saying I listened to you a couple of years here, and you really have helped me in my daily struggle to become a better man.
Speaker 10: Well that's some compliment.
Speaker 4: Thank you so much, which brings me to my question, is huh the first most important to become a better man or is it more important to become a better father or like a better husband? Is there a priority?
Speaker 1: Yeah, better man will always win because a good man will become a better father and a better husband.
Speaker 4: Okay, that's exactly what I was thinking.
Speaker 10: Oh good, okay, I'm let's you go because of a lot of noise there.
Speaker 3: Oh.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, work on your men, work on yourself and likewise women. It is the better a woman you become, the more at peace with your female nature, with the more at peace with being a woman, and working on your character and also working on suppressing the bad parts of the female nature. Just as men have to suppress the bad parts of male nature. Part of being a man is self suppression, or if you will, channeling same with a woman. I cannot emphasize this too often that we I do not believe that by and large we raise girls to confront their natures as much as we raise boys to confront their natures, and we are paying a terrible price for both sexes.
Speaker 2: This episode of timeless Wisdom will continue right after this. Now back to more of Dennis Prager's timeless wisdom.
Speaker 1: Okay, and we go to Los Angeles and James. Hello James, Dennis Prager, Yes, sir, hi.
Speaker 3: Hey, Well, my question is I was wondering on that unhappiness in a relative sense, on what you would think of like, I mean, do you think Hitler really inside of his heart do you think he could be happy that he was a happy person to himself, thinking that what he was doing was the right thing.
Speaker 1: I believe that there were many, sincere Nazis, people who truly believed that killing every Jewish man, woman, and baby was a good thing. There really were people who believed that. There are many there are many in the Muslim world today who believe that of Jews and they're sincere. Now are they happy people?
Speaker 10: In general?
Speaker 1: I believe that good people are happy than bad people. There is, there is some form of comfort in massive hatred. There is, but in the final analysis, it doesn't come from a happy disposition. And our reports of Hitler were that he was essentially uh an he donic. The man was not did not have a joy of life, and certainly later on in his life relied on tremendous injections from his personal physician to keep to sustain his his mood, to even continue with life. I don't believe in the final analysis that people choose evil from a happy part of themselves. I do not identify the suicide terror world and its supporters with happiness. They may they may be jubilant at the death of Jews or Americans, but these are not happy people.
Speaker 3: Okay, see, Okay, Dennis, I appreciate it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a great question, it really was. I thank you very much, all right. And also in Denver is Diane, Hello, Diane, Dennis Prager.
Speaker 17: Hi, thank you for taking my car.
Speaker 10: Thank you, thank you.
Speaker 17: Okay. Earlier this week you talked about the boy in Utah who almost died because he was too scared of strangers. So I want to know what we should be teaching our kids so that they're safe without making them scared of all strangers.
Speaker 10: It's a very fine question. Other than never go to their car.
Speaker 1: If a stranger beckons you too to his car, don't go, and never go anywhere, and don't go out of a classroom unless there is a code word I unless you live in a particularly awful neighborhood. I think that you have to just take the risk. I mean, there is risk taking and having children, and any parent who wants to have no risks to their child will risk a very confused and psychologically undeveloped child. So there's a price paid for absolute safety, and I have decided that I would gamble with absolute safety for the sake of their psychological and emotional health.
Speaker 17: Do you let your kids? Your son go anywhere by himself?
Speaker 10: Yeah, let's see where does he go? He will go to get something to eat that is nearby. Yep.
Speaker 1: During the day, Sure, yes I do. But of course he's twelve. Now, I don't know what age we started allowing him to do so.
Speaker 17: So even not in groups like he's not walking, No.
Speaker 1: Not necessarily that's right, and I certainly flew on his own very early. But of course that's so safe. I mean, you know, you bring them to the airport and an adult picks them up at the other end. But I will tell you parents need to acknowledge that a price is paid for absolute safety, and moms in particular need to. That's why moms and dads have different roles. Mother's worry more. I remember how often my father would say to my mother, what are you gonna do? Keep him in a China closet? And it's funny because I never understood what a China closet was if there was a closet from China, And you know, I didn't understand, but he was right, and you can't. On the other hand, mothers have to worry too. And now to Pasadena and Kathy. Hello, Kathy, Dennis Prager.
Speaker 15: Hello, it's such a pleasure to talk to you. I'm so honored.
Speaker 10: Oh that's very sweet. Thank you.
Speaker 15: I just want you to note that every time that you say Alan write that down, it just cracks me up. And I just started to wonder, how long.
Speaker 12: Is that life?
Speaker 10: I just asked.
Speaker 1: I just asked him that knowing your question and he said it's three pages long.
Speaker 15: Oh my gosh.
Speaker 1: But I want to tell you though, it is a major factor in why this program is and this is my intention for the show to be relentlessly interesting.
Speaker 12: And I know that.
Speaker 15: I mean I often wondered what would you do without him?
Speaker 11: In fact, I would I.
Speaker 10: Would shoot myself. It is clear it has been.
Speaker 15: Established in heaven with Alan following you around. Whenever you think of a question for that, Alan, write that down.
Speaker 1: That is funny. No, he's not following me around. I wish he were. I actually believe it or not. Don't see him quite that often. Oh, really, yes, it's it's something. I mean, you know, we have the show obviously, but beyond that, and we're very dear friends where our friendship has preceded this, but we're not we're not in each other's physical presence.
Speaker 10: All that much.
Speaker 1: And you know, and and so I will often text message him with oh, got an idea, and so that's you know, that'll work too, well, it really works.
Speaker 15: And I just wanted to give a good going Alan too.
Speaker 10: Oh. He needs that, he needs that. He suffers from deep he suffers from deep insecurity. So it's very good that you said.
Speaker 1: That, all right, he will thank you.
Speaker 10: That's that's great. It's a great call. How long is the list? I didn't know either. I actually asked him why would I do with that?
Speaker 11: Him?
Speaker 1: I wouldn't shoot myself, but I threatened to that. That's why that way, he just remains working with me because of guilt, because he just he doesn't want me to shoot myself. We uh, we will continue on the Dennis Prager Show with your questions, what is anything you'd like me to deal with? From the most heavy to the most light? One eighth Praguer seven seven six. We resume momentarily.
Speaker 2: This episode of Timeless Wisdom will continue right after this. Now back to more of Dennis Prager's timeless wisdom.
Speaker 1: All right in Los Angeles, Tim, Hello Tim, Dennis Prager, Hi, Dennis, Hi.
Speaker 18: My question is my stepdaughter, not my stepdaughter, my stepsister. My stepmother's daughter just killed herself and she had three small children. I just wondered, what do you say to the mother?
Speaker 1: Well, other than in other words, what do you say in addition to what you would say if let us say she had died of a disease or of a drunk driver. I mean, what additional things would you say, because it's a suicide, Is that what you're asking?
Speaker 18: Yeah, rather other than other than I'm sorry? What else can you say?
Speaker 1: Well, there isn't always that much. But the thing that comes to my mind is that I would assume that any parent whose child commits suicide has enormous guilt, and you need to reassure her that she, the mother, is in no way responsible unless you know, unless the mother I don't know abused her as a child and you know, locked her in a closet and froze her exactly. But otherwise it is not the parent's fault. And parents parents the burden. I'm parent. The burden we parents have about our children's happiness is really unfair to us, but we have it. I mean, parents feel bad if their kid, and their kid could be ten, twenty thirty, forty, fifty sixty, it doesn't matter. They feel bad if the kid is depressed. Imagine how they feel if the kid commits suicide. So what you have to try to do is reassure her you are not responsible. We don't know why people commit suicide, but it has nothing to do with you.
Speaker 18: How do you say that?
Speaker 10: In those words?
Speaker 1: Say if you're close enough to say, listen, it's maybe the most natural thing for you to feel some responsibilit you have none. You must say that to yourself, and you must know it, even if your heart tells you otherwise. I am talking to your mind, and your mind must know you are not in any way responsible. Okay, yep, that's the best thing you could tell her, I think Denver, Mark Kello, Mark, Dennis Prager.
Speaker 19: Oh, hi, Dennis, Hi. I just wanted to let you know that I discovered a reliable way of keeping slow drivers out of.
Speaker 10: The left lane other than bumping them.
Speaker 19: Well, that works, but this is a little better. And it's funny. I was taking my video camera in for repair, and so it was in the right seat there, and there was a slow driver in the left lane, and I got that video camera out, put it right on the dashboard there and pointed it at him, and he couldn't get out of there fast enough.
Speaker 10: I love it. I love it.
Speaker 1: If it were I think anything that will not cause an accident should be done, because I consider that to be selfish, narcissistic and injurious to the flow of traffic.
Speaker 10: And I thank you. I love it.
Speaker 1: Any other ideas to get slow drivers out of the left lane. You will always have a voice on this show, The Dennis Prager Show in Queen's Creek, Arizona.
Speaker 10: Nathan, Hello, Nathan, Dennis Prager.
Speaker 11: Hey Dennis, how you doing okay?
Speaker 10: Thank you.
Speaker 11: I've been an avid video game player for quite some time now, and I have noticed myself slipping into a pretty lazy cycle of putting video games over work as far as priority. Huh, And I'm wondering if you think this is common among video game players.
Speaker 1: I believe that anything can become Anything with a screen can become addictive. There is actually they have done physiological experiments and show we are actually there's something. There's an effect of that tube, or even if there's no tube, if it's an LCD screen, But there is an effect that watching a screen has on people, and TV computers video games are examples of it, and so there you can absolutely become addicted to it. There's no question one could become addicted to almost anything. As it happens wherever there is a great chemical to the extent that addiction is chemical and not just psychological. There are actual endorphins or other chemicals that are secreted that are pleasure that are pleasure inducing, and we seek to repeat pleasures and pleasures that are gained through addiction need to be increased. That is why at dope addicts, narcotic addicts, they need a greater dose or a more frequent dose, because the same pleasure can now be derived only at a greater dose. And you have to watch out for is an hour that gave me pleasure in the past now insufficient and it must be two hours? So my question to you is a time one. How much do you spend playing video games?
Speaker 8: Uh?
Speaker 11: Probably about an hour and a half a day or so.
Speaker 1: And is that your Is that your only diversion from what? From from? For you know, is that your only pointless diversion? I play Spider Solitaire. I probably play an hour a day. I don't I don't. I don't worry about it taking from my work because you're not supposed to work all day, you're allowed.
Speaker 10: I would just max it out at ninety minutes.
Speaker 1: Alrighty, let's go to Denton, Texas.
Speaker 10: Drew. Hello, Drew, Dennis Praeger.
Speaker 14: So, thank you for this call, and I'll try to be big, brief and to the point, but I want to say you change my life in regards to Jewish people. And I've seen that I've had a bias, very subtle, but it's very deep. But my life has been changed, and I do thank you, sir. My question is in regards to the will of God coming or coming from a Christians perspective. There's there's people say, for instance, like Billy Graham who says, you know, the will of God for my life is to be a you know, evangelist. But what is the Jewish tradition and what is your thoughts on the will of God for a person's life, Like did you think, hey, the will of God for my life is to be a talk show radio host.
Speaker 1: You're asking an effect in some sense, the wrong guy. I had such a strong sense of divine mission. I wrote it in in the journal that I kept in high school that I believe that I am on this earth to try to influence people to be good. That's what I wrote when I was a junior in high school. I don't that's not a normal thing to write, but I have always had a sense of mission in that sense, and it is on the on the rare, rare, rare moments of my life that it has left me, I was bereft of a sense of purpose and it was very painful. So I was blessed by God with a sense of that so early I didn't really need to work at it. But generally speaking, one thing that Judaism. Remember, Jews have to be divided between those who live Judaism and those who don't. There are very many secular Jews, unlike secular Christians, although there really are secular Christians that are just not a name, you know, cultural Christians, they're called there are, if you will, cultural Jews. But Jews who take Judaism seriously have a built in mission because there is a belief that which you share as a Christian, that the Jews are God's chosen people and have to be alighted too the nations, and have to live a certain life of holiness and ethics emanating from observance of the laws, an area where there would be a Jewish Christian difference on the role of law, but it.
Speaker 10: Is built in.
Speaker 1: And so now your question might be how does one individually fine one? And that would be the same for a Jew or Christian or anybody else. I think I wish I had more time on that. Likewise, for John and Jennifer and Anthony and the names that I don't see because coming up now are the highlights of the week that we put together for you. So you always enjoyed that. Stay tuned. I'll be right back with you tomorrow.
Speaker 2: Un Timeless Wisdom with Dennis Praeger.
Speaker 1: The university is secular, and there is more idiocy in the in the university than at your local church.
Speaker 12: Well, it's funny enough, it says what you mean. I didn't think that was the shape your question would take.
Speaker 10: Well, let's be let's yeah, that is what I mean.
Speaker 12: I actually, in some ways you're pushing at an open door. I mean, the same as true of Hollywood. I suppose it's not exactly religious. It's very respectful, too much so I think of religion.
Speaker 10: But you couldn't well leave Hollywood.
Speaker 1: The university, it takes secularism seriously. It is the most secular of our maid your institutions, and it's the only place in the Western world where people still believe, for example, that men and women are basically the same, just as I was taught when I went to Columbia University.
Speaker 12: It's actually taught by the university because I know what you mean, it seems to be a prevalent assumption. They confuse equality with identity. But that's not necessarily a secular.
Speaker 1: No, no no, but a lot of that. But it doesn't matter if it's necessarily I mean.
Speaker 12: Why don't I just concede this to you now? I mean, an atheist can be a nihilist or a fascist. It can be a national socialist. The most national socialists were pagans and worshipers of odd cults, and of course many of them were Christians too. An atheist can be a stalinist. An atheist can be a sayist or a massachist. It doesn't say anything about your morality or your intelligence to be a non believer, all right.
Speaker 1: So all I'm saying is, when you spoke about I think you use the word stupidity as as essentially synonymous with religious belief. I'm saying to you that institutionally, there's more stupidity and secular institutions than in religious ones in my country.
Speaker 10: The United States of America.
Speaker 2: Join us tomorrow to hear more on Timeless Wisdom with Dennis Prager. Visit Denispragger dot com for thousands of hours of Dennis's lectures courses in classic radio programs, and to purchase Dennis Prager's Rational Bibles. We want to take just a second to thank the team at Life Audio for their partnership with us on the podcast. Go to lifeaudio dot com to find dozens of other faith centered podcasts and their network, including shows about prayer, Bible study, parenting, and more.