Speaker 1: Life Audio on today's episode of Timeless Wisdom.
Speaker 2: You'd think if you had met God, God would not have to reintroduce himself to you. Think about it, right, If God spoke to me, said, Denist, you remember me, don't you? No? I just don't. I've been so involved with my work, I just don't remember. It seems silly, doesn't it. Think about it for a moment.
Speaker 1: That's coming off on Timeless Wisdom with Dennis Prager. Welcome to Timeless Wisdom with Dennis Prager. Here thousands of hours of Dennis's lectures, courses in classic radio programs, and to purchase Dennis Prager's Rational Bibles, go to Dennisprager dot com.
Speaker 2: Kyle, I have good news and I have bad news. The bad news is the uh, there is nothing terribly rich in today's chapter. The good news is I can come up with anything. There's a lot of truth to what I just said, and it's a little disturbing. Okay, anybody have any thoughts on the rape of Dina? How did she get out of the house? Jacob Brown a very liberal home. Listen, if you had ten kids, you're going to keep an eye on all of them. I mean, it's or is that eleven at that time, the only daughter. That's right? No, you know what the truth is. It is an interesting point because she did a very look, it's hard to keep him down on the farm. I mean, if she obviously had an independent personality. That was that was what I said, was the implication of that very first verse, that she went out to see the women of the land. On the other hand, on the other hand, too, remember in Semitic society, women are allowed to go to other women. That is not in itself a terribly audacious act. They don't have to stay in the tent or the home all day every day. They but normally they should be accompanied by a man if they leave the house and they're single. That's true. So that part, I mean it would have been what would have been incredible was and Dina went out to see the men of the land. This would have been quite extraordinary.
Speaker 3: Yes, Seshion of conniving Jews us the conniving, And I remembered that I was sweavering. Are Jews paying the price today because of Jacob's sons?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 3: The sins of Jacob's sons being so denied, Is that the beginning of something that that's happen thought of.
Speaker 2: A Yeah, it's a very interesting questions. The jew pays, Do Jews pay the price for this conniving reputation that the Bible itself really applies to our patron rearchs, or at least some of them, or at least Jacob. It's funny. The rabbis actually said yes. The rabbi said that, in fact, we did pay. The Jewish people did pay a price later for it. It is an interesting thing you should raise, and its that is unfortunate. The fact of the matter is that you know, you know, I am no apologist for anybody, and I mean for nobody in the Bible and for no ethnic group. But everybody connived, you know, it was non conniving is a very rare thing in human affairs. What is not it is not remarkable that Jacob ever connived, or that his sons did. What is remarkable is that the Holy Book of that people should admit it and not defend it. That's what's remarkable. That Jews would act not so beautifully is not remarkable. Jews are human. The remarkable thing, and I've said this on a number of occasions, is that our Holy Book would in fact acknowledge this and this is unique. As I said, the New Testament portrays only beautiful Christians, the the the Quran beautiful Muslims. But the Torah does not only portray beautiful Jews. It portrays beautiful non Jews as frequently as it does beautiful Jews, and ugly Jews as frequently as ugly non Jews. It's not a fan, it's not a Jew fan the Torah. And we've paid a price, ironically for that honesty. I want to welcome you to the class pleasure to pleasure to have you, Yes, is even more right. She says that the semi stupidity was actually more remarkable than the conniving of Gruven and his brothers, not necessarily. Did you remember what he promised them all this wealth for a couple of days of pain? Do you know what people will do for money? I mean, listen, what do we all do for money? And I don't even mean I don't mean immoral things. They didn't do anything immoral. You know. It's like would would you would you like to lick a thousand envelopes? No? But if I gave you ten thousand dollars, the envelopes would taste like chocolate, Sundays. I'm sorry. Oh okay, all right, had you been a Chacham male, you would not have offered your organ. Okay, what can I say? Yes, Because, like you pointed out a la suite, they had to be in the first place.
Speaker 4: Or when they when they asked for her hand in.
Speaker 2: Marriage, they had her. They had physical possession of her. And like the point out last week too, nothing Jacob, and there's nothing Jacob and the Stanley could have done about it. And when Scheckham promised, yet you can have all their goods, you might not have been like you could have taken it if you wanted to. Yes, And that's actually the defensive love and not Simeon going and killing all the people in that village. That was the only way they did get into that. Yes, thank you for making that point. Where's the couple who made that point at the end of the last session. Yeah, you had me thinking for two weeks. This couple over here, the ones necking in the eighth row, they are They came over afterwards and noted a very good point that Dina was still in their possession and the implication is that this was the only way they could have saved her if that is true. It does offer a defense for what is otherwise abominable conduct. I mean, if someone kidnapped your doors her and would not let her go under under peaceful conditions, you would not be wrong in making war upon her captors. That's that's true. If that's if that's indeed the case, it's a big if, but it's not. It's not an incomprehensible if the text is quiet on that and you were right in pointing that out, and you're and you're saying that it gets you obviously think well of people in it had not to do with it. But if they would have killed Chef and his father, the people who are guilty of it, or Chef the whole day would have killed anyway by the village. Because it seems that when you believe, oh no, no, what's once they started the deal. That's why I said that. I don't believe it's right to blame the two who did the killings, Levy and Shimohn. It's not right to blame them. Everybody connived in this, because what were they going to do? Circumcise them and then and then just leave them in that condition, except there is one other possible They would circumcise them, take Dina and run away. But once these guys recuperated, they would be angrier than ever and would have killed the would have killed the family, Jacob's family. So the plot from the beginning involved killing. The only question is you're what you two wrote raised and you raised is was that the only way to save her? I hope all of you who were not here last week are are you know you're coming in the middle of a of a soap opera as it were. I hope it's somewhat clear. Very simply, Jacob's daughter, Dina was went out and was taken by a schrem and uh and she was she was raped, and she was kept and but he, the rapist, fell in love with her and really did fall in love with her. And we had a whole thing on that about how can you fall in love with somebody you rape? And and it was an interesting thing in and of itself. But but that totally notwithstanding, The plot was use let's tell them that, oh, yes, we will give you her for a daughter, for a wife, just in order to do that, in order for us to intermarry we the children of Jacob and you schemites, You've got to circumcise your men. While they were circumcised and in pain from the healing that they were, they were killed and Dina was taken away. Okay, that's that's basically what happened, and that's what we're talking about. Let me just take a couple of more and then I can proceed with today. Yes, sort of all the same lines. But the moment that the that they deceived their own people in order to circumcize them, that to me says that they were no, they were no good mix. They didn't keep their end of the bargain anyway by promising the Jewish goods.
Speaker 3: And I mean they didn't.
Speaker 2: The children of Jacob didn't keep their bargain. You're saying all thees didn't because they said in order to get the men, in order to get all they all. That's a yes they made with Jacob. So the moment they entered into de sit with their own people, that's a good point, very good point. Well, not only that smart them screwed by the very people who initially it's a biblical word. Actually no, the uh, it's a very very it's an interesting point. Remember that Schem goes back and makes this deal says to his people, all the things that they'll get if only they undergo circumcision. Now, he would have been in trouble. You see if they if they went through with the deal, then they would have come back and said, okay, well, where's all the stuff you promised uff from the children of Jacob. And then the children of Jacob would say, why did you promise them? We never made that promise. So they were a corrupt crowd. Yes, in fact, it's tell you it's there's a certain interesting thing for me personally, because I had really until last week and now seen it in a more negative light. You're changing my mind. But it's interesting if that's the case, that if my mind is being changed, I assume some of yours are also. And I recall too that with the conniving on the birthright, I also, in the course of time, found that there was more to justify what Jacob had done. So listen, conniving back to your whereas it is back to conniving for a minute. This is a large moral issue generally. I wrote an article for my journal, which is outside and which you can subscribe to and should. I wrote an article a while ago and the title was no act is always wrong, because I had come to realize in the course of all my years on radio that a big part of the reason I would often have moral differences with callers was over this issue.
Speaker 1: This episode of timeless Wisdom will continue right after this. Now back to more of Dennis Prager's timeless wisdom.
Speaker 2: For example, capital punishment just I'm not going to the issue was here, not to make the case for it, but I want to explain what I realized was happening. I'm for capital punishment for murder. So people would call up, and the usual argument, a, how can two wrongs make a right? How can you say killing is wrong and then kill It's like telling your kid not to slap another kid and slapping your kid. And I would make all sorts of arguments and so on, and then I realized after a few years that what was happening was people were measuring the morality of an act by the act and not by its context. Killing is not always wrong, not biblically, not morally period as you know. Well, I can't assume it. But if you've heard me for more than two weeks at any given stretch, you've heard me correct people about the Ten Commandments, It does not say thou shalt not kill. That's an incorrect translation. It's thou shalt not murder. Killing is permitted, murder is not murder, is immoral killing. In other words, there's moral killing and immoral killing. So too, there is moral everything and immoral anything. There's moral lying and immoral lying, immoral ying. You will know. But what's MORA lying? Example I always give man is chasing a woman wants to rape her and says says to me the bystander, sir, could you tell me where this woman ran to I'd like to rape her. You would all acknowledge that I would be morally bound to lie. Oh she went there? When in fact she went there right. Spies for the Allies against the Nazis lied every day? Was there lying wrong? Their lying was incredibly moral. Context determines the morality of an act. My friends, there were sometimes that good people have to connive. The world is not composed of angels. The world is composed of often very sordid types. And the more evidence you are correctly giving me about the sordidness of the Schemites, the more the conniving of the of the of the children of Jacob makes sense. Conniving is not is a moral. All acts are a moral. The context determines it. And you may say that this is moral relativism, but it's not. Moral relativism is not the same as context determines morality. Moral relativism is that what's good for you is good for you, and what's good for me is good for me, but nobody else. That's not the case. In that context. The act is wrong for everybody. In that context, the act is right for everybody. That's what moral absolutes mean. That's why I don't like the word absolute. I never use it. The word is a universal morality. It's either relative morality or universal morality. But absolutes, the term used, doesn't mean that something is always wrong. Nothing is always wrong even and I hate to say this because I am so opposed to it, and I would be for its universal banning. But in theory, even torture can be morally justified. If a terrorist were to place a bomb here and was caught, and it was going to go off in ten minutes, and everyone in this room were to be maimed and murdered as a result of this terror or is bomb, would you feel it was wrong to torture him to find out where it was, to diffuse it. No mm, some people would so. Well, some people think that it would be all right. Well, killing won't help when they're dead, they can't tell you where the bomb is. But my only point is context determines morality. It's all I want to say on the conniving as well, and that may be something that should be learned from this book. You have to judge the act depending on its context. It makes moral judgment more complex. It's very easy to just say killing is wrong, thank you. So I don't have to grapple with the issue of do we bomb Iraq. I don't have to grapple with capital punishment. I don't have to grapple with when it's self defense. It's easy to say killing is wrong. It's easy to say lying is wrong. The trick in a moral life is to find out when it is wrong. Yes, then what were the brothers who were taking.
Speaker 3: Dina after back?
Speaker 2: You know? Was even though she was so, what was the liberation?
Speaker 3: And the sea was in court? Would go out to where there was to be the enemies, and he raised where was bruthers?
Speaker 2: How come they did this? They see how under the steam right, you might have they they they were all out in the fields working. In fact, if you recall, that was the story. So they're not. I mean, you can't. What kind of do you wanna be guarded all the time by your brother? It's I suspect that was coming out.
Speaker 3: And again that guys, But what about where were they read?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, there might have been an element of relinquishment of duty and so on. That's true, but I think overwhelmingly it was it was the issue of our woman was taken and that was the primary. Just two more and then I got to really, uh continue, Yes, if I heard you correctly last week, I thought you said that Jacob when he was dying condemned. Yes, that's correct. That's what bothers me about embraces. That is right, except that the conniving Kay, because Jacob, who had a better perspective on the situation than we do, yes, himself judge this very good point too, That, of course, is the whole problem. Jacob does call them warriors in the negative sense of the word later you'll see in chapter forty nine, and if he judges them negatively, then he must have known more. My only argument not against it. My argument would be that what he knew was that there were other options. That's what I would suspect is the issue. The Schechemites are not angelic, that's clear, okay, But there might have been other options available to get Dina other than mass murder or mass killing. And that is what I think Jacob is probably referring to. We don't know what they might have been. But I mean, for all we know at the UH when they came and said, you know, my son is in love with your daughter, we let's intermarry. Maybe Jacob, maybe they could have said, I'm sorry, that's not the way we work it. First you ask for our daughter, then you sleep with her. You don't sleep with her first. It's a strange ritual in our family, but that's the way we like it. Ask first, sleep later. And and maybe that would have worked, you see, And we don't know that. And the truth is, by Jewish law, you must always seek peace before you make war. You cannot make war without first seeking peace. So that would be the argument to me, that would that would substantiate the negative assessment of Jacob.
Speaker 4: Yeshemites than Israelizing.
Speaker 3: Yes, So if they wanted the land, why didn't they just take it.
Speaker 2: Why did they wait for this bargain? Well, I see it would probably be better for the Shremites to have a peaceful assimilation of the smaller group than to make war on it.
Speaker 3: But the land was not such a major deals with them that they weren't after it.
Speaker 2: Well, it wasn't so much Jacob's land. Jacob didn't own any land there. Jacob was a sojourner. But Jacob had material wealth, and Jacob had sons who could then become part of them and add to their power. I think they wanted the sons, and of course Schrem wanted wanted Dina what's her name, which is, of course, in effect what the Torah does to her. I gotta take it later. Please forgive me, because I feel I'm cheating you if I take too many, too much time on the questions, but I don't take at the end of the session. So please understand this is all before, but don't forget what you wanted to ask. We're up to chapter thirty five. Thirty six is not terribly interesting, so we're going to do thirty five and thirty six, and I have one major theme today. The one advantage of the chapters that don't have inherently fascinating details. Is it enables me to talk about a larger issue that is hinted at in the text, And you'll see in a moment what I mean. Chapter thirty five as it were, we now resumes resume Jacob's journey into Canaan. God said to Jacob, because we took off for chapter for the rape of Dina. God said to Jacob, arise, go up to Bethel and remain there and build an altar to the God who appeared to you when you were fleeing from your brother Esau.
Speaker 1: This episode of timeless Wisdom will continue right after this. Now back to more of Dennis Prager's Timeless Wisdom.
Speaker 2: Okay, number one, Jacob has to move on after what his family did to the Chemites. Better move with great speed. Okay, you must understand he did not need a divine call at that moment, but there is a divine call anyway. Interesting thing in this sentence is that God identifies himself to Jacob. Isn't that you think if you had met God, God would not have to reintroduce himself to you. Think about it? Right? If God spoke to me, so denist you remember me? Don't you. No, I just don't. I've been so involved with my work, I just don't remember. It seems silly, doesn't it. Think about it for a moment, you remember who I am. I am the one who appeared to you when you were fleeing from Esau. So what could that mean? What could that possibly mean? That God would reidentify himself. I mean he is the creator of the heaven and earth of the universe. All right, So one of these rare times, I'm gonna call one person. Yes, what do you think it means? New beginning? What does that mean? New beginning? This mess that happened it? Yeah, but again it would imply that Jacob would forget I'll try one other. Yes, sorry, I'm coming to save you again. Very good point. That's the hint that I'm coming to save you. I save you event I'll save you. Now, that's right. I think there is a great deal of truth to that. I think there is another thing, and I accept that totally. I do. I think it's a very fine point. I think that there is another point here, though. You have to understand because and it's very difficult to God is brand new at this time in history. You see, even if you're an atheist in this room. You know exactly what I mean more or less when I say God, Oh, the God of the Bible, Oh that invisible God, Oh, the one who created the heavens and the earth. Are people who believe that the one who rewards good and punishes evil, Oh that one. You know exactly what I'm mean if I say God, but not then we are talking about people. And I beg you to try to put your mental state in this ancient Near Eastern world where gods were totems, amulets, animals, rivers, rocks, trees. So you have to understand. I have to remind you who God is. You can easily forget, even even Moses later asks my favorite, my favorite line in the Torah, when Moses says to God, who are you? What's your name? You remember that? I mean at the burning bush? It's it's extraordinary. Who will I say to the Jews sent me? They don't remember who you are? You know? And then God gives him a terrifically you know, just an empirically based, clear fourth right answer. Tell him I am who I am? Sent you? Oh, no problem. That's my favorite line in the Torah. It is it is actually funny. Tell him I am sent you. Oh you know. Can you imagine if you somebody came to your door, who's there? I am? Who I am? Oh you. It doesn't give you a great deal of data. It gives it. The truth is, when I taught Exodus, I showed it. It gave a great deal of information about God in the deepest sense. But that's a separate issue. The point here is this God needs to keep saying to the first Monotheists who God is, who he is, And pardon me for the he I'm just uncomfortable, not because I'm male. I'm just uncomfortable because he she gives it gender stuff and he is more neuter. And so please understand, I don't believe God has has testicles. No, No, it's important that you understand that. I I obviously don't. You have to hold your questions for later, otherwise I'll never I'll ever get through. Yeah, the well, I'll look at the Hebrew to make sure. And the Hebrew literally is and make there an altar to the God who appeared to you when you fled from the face of esaw your brother. That is the literal translation. Okay, if you have a different one. You know, I can't imagine how different. The Hebrew's not complex in this case. But anyway, this is God. So I think both I saved you, then I'll save you now he's worried after what happened with Schrem and God is reidentifying who he is because is it just a clarifying thing? Because I can't take questions during the middle of this.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know you write or say when you write.
Speaker 2: Himself. He grins that he will go to Hid. That is correct law to do when you go right back the wrong right. He has to still fulfill his pledge. It's a good quote. We don't know if God is reminding him or not, whether he would have remembered remember his pledge to go A lot of you didn't take it, but you still may have read the Bible even if you didn't take my class. I don't assume that this is the only time any Jew has ever seen the Torah. Uh so uh. But that is the famous statement where where he makes this deal with God as it were, and now he has to fulfill it, which is which is here in Baithelle. Okay, let me continue. Please verse two. So Jacob said to his household and to all who were with him. Rid yourselves of the alien or foreign gods in your midst, Purify yourselves and change your clothes. Come, let us go up to Bethel and I will build an altar there, and I will continue in a moment. It's this that I want to deal with in great detail, major theme of today. This is the first time in the Torah that a contrast is made between the God of Israel and other gods. This is very important. It's about as important a theme as the Torah, as Judaism, as what we call the Judeo Christian world has. This monotheistic God is distinct, and so the first thing that Jacob does is get rid of the false or foreign gods in his midst that were obviously picked up from the Schemites, or at least that's so we infer. Now, I want to talk to you about an issue right now that every one of you knows. But I wonder how many of you have ever asked the question why you all know that Judaism, Christianity, the Bible consider monotheism infinitely superior to paganism. But I wonder how many of you, if I gave you an exam, could write Why Why is one god, the one God of the Bible, more important than the multiple gods of paganism? What's wrong with two or seven, or one hundred or a million as in some ways of understanding Hinduism? And I want to deal with right now what monotheism? Not ethical monotheism that I've made the case for in my whole life. I just want to deal with the ramifications of monotheism. Why is the Bible so intent upon destroying other gods? Taught the first chapters of Genesis, I showed that the major theme was that one God created the universe. And to constantly take swipes at pagan ideas? What's wrong with being a pagan? Incidentally, it's very relevant because we have modern pagan ideas today. There are many, and you will see some of them hinted at when I go through this list. Okay, in no order of importance, let me give you number one. Number one I got from a book long out of print, but if you can ever find it, it's truly one of the important books. The Divine Order, Western culture in the Middle Ages and the Renaissance by Henry Bamford Parks, who was a professor at the New York University. I'd like to read to you something that changed one of the most seminal things I ever read, that made me realize the profundity of Judaism and of monotheism. This is a non Jew writing a professor. Judaism repudiated the cyclic view of history held by all other ancient peoples and affirmed that it was a meaningful process leading to the gradual regeneration of humanity. This was the origin of the Western belief in progress, which has gradually been secularized. I'll explain all this and become a kind of substitute religion, but retains elements of its prophetic origin. Natural law, ethical monotheism, and the coming of the heavenly kingdom have been the basic elements of the Western view of life. This is this is what was the first revolution, or in what Judaism brought to the world. Let me explain what linear versus cyclic history is. Any of you who know karma, and many do, and that's why I told you there is a rejuvenation of many of the ideas that Judaism repudiated. This is not to say that people who believe in it are bad. Please understand, I am talking about a distinctive Jewish belief, and I guess this needs a word or two. We are so today worried about making judgments as if every culture must be regarded by every other culture as equally desirable. If you believe in your religion, you must believe that there is something more desirable about your life religion. When I meet a Christian who believes that Christianity is the way to God, I am not hurt, I am not insulted. I have no I do not look down upon this person. It makes perfect sense. Why commit yourself to Jesus Christ if you don't believe that there is something inherently particularly true about it. I wouldn't be a Jew, a religious Jew, if I did not believe there was something particularly true about Judaism. It makes no sense. It's not like a car well, I like Buick, and you like olds, and you know, but they all get you there anyway. This is what the common parlance today is. Oh, all religions are just different roads to the same thing. It's a little true, but it's not fully true. And anyway, since you spend your whole life on the road, a different road is very important. The road does matter you would rather be on a six line super highway with a little traffic than on a gravel road behind a horse that kept polluting. Right, So, even if it were only different roads, that would be in itself significant. But there is more than different roads. Those of you who know karma, what is the basic knowledge that we have, those who know anything about it? It is that you will, in the next life suffer the consequences of what you heerd or didn't learn in this life, so that you come back. You keep returning. You may make moral progress, but it is still a cycle. That's what's called cyclic. It's a cycle. And once you have reached your enlightenment in Buddhist terms, you're gone, but the world itself does not progress. Your task is to reach enlightenment after all of these cycles and go on in other cultures that are most of which are now gone. It's even more cyclical. It is merely every generation repeats that which happened in the previous one. You and I don't even know about that. You and I are so used to the term progress. Well, next generation will have a cure for cancer, that's the way we think. Next generation will have less poverty. Next generation there will be fewer wars. Right. The reason you think that way is one hundred percent as a result of Judaism and of course a Christianity which took the idea into the Western world. That's what Bamford Parks is talking about here, that Judaism gave to the world. And a look at his words, this is of an understating historian. Judaism repudiated the cyclic view of history held by all other ancient peoples. It was totally alone in history in saying that history should move forward, not repeat itself in each generation. In Native American life, it would repeat itself in Mayan. In all of the cultures of the Western hemisphere, generally speaking, that is what happened. That is why there isn't much of a need to create a written language in many cultures. A written language is necessary because you have to learn from the past to develop something to give to the future. But you don't have to give anything to the future, as it were, if you're only repeating the present. And that is what Judaism came into. A world where you repeated the present and the next generation. The idea that history must move forward is Jewish and as he says, This was the origin of the Western belief in progress, which has gradually been secularized and become a kind of substitute religion. Listen to what he gives his examples. Both the liberalism of the eighteenth century Enlightenment and the Marxism of the nineteenth and twentieth centuries looked forward to a kingdom of freedom, still recognizably derived from the promises of Jeremiah, of the Hebrew Jewish prophet Jeremiah. The idea that history should move forward came from this book. The second thing he notes is that history has purpose and meaning. The idea that history has purpose, that this world has purpose, is Jewish. That doesn't mean only Jewish, because the daughters of Judaism adopted it specifically Christianity and Islam, so it isn't uniquely Jewish. It was uniquely Jewish, and if it weren't for Judaism, it wouldn't have developed. My point is not to convince you how great Judaism is. It is to make it clear why Judaism opposed non monotheism, why it opposed paganism. Okay, because this is the first reference in the Torah to the rejection of other gods, That is why it is so important, and that's why I've taken this time out in this chapter. The idea that history should move forward comes from monotheism. It's linear, not cyclical. Number two an invisible god. Monotheism gave us the ability to cultivate abstract thinking. When you believe in paganism, you don't have that distract thinking. There's a god of thunder, a god of lightning, a god of river, and there is a great deal of magic, which I will come to in a moment. What monotheism said is that the world is ruled by knowable, rational, non capricious law. God rules the universe. God is a god of justice, a god of mercy, a god of truth. The world is ruled by this God. The gods of ancient man were totally different. Do you remember? I keep asking you that, But it's foolish because most of you weren't here. But if you saw the tape, perhaps you will remember. I contrasted the Mesopotamian epic of Gilgemish with the Noah story. When who's the hero there? Utnah pitched him, who's our hero Noah? Why is Noah? Saying both of them have flood stories? Noah's saved because he's a good human being, right, the only righteous man in his generation. Why is it Nah pitched him saved because he's handsome. The God liked the way he looked. He just the gods of the ancient world were created in the image of man. It's the antithesis of the Torah. The Torah holds that man is created in God's image. In paganism, the gods were created in man's image. They had the lusts that people did. They had the envies and jealousies that people did. They had the wars that people did. They had everything we had, just they were bigger. It was miserable human beings writ large. That is what was the case in the ancient world. That this is a total rejection of that God is perfect. God transcends all of these human frailties, and God rules the world on the basis of justice, mercy, compassion truth. Therefore, as I said, you can also develop you can develop abstract thinking because this God is invisible. When you believe that everything is visible, all the gods are the Sun God, the frog God, the hawk God, the tree God. Then the idea that there are forces that cannot be seen which is the basis of modern science, is foreign to you. You have to believe that there are invisible forces in order to start developing abstract capabilities of thinking. It's not coincidental that the world that developed science as we know it is the Western world. It's not Judaism alone or Christianity alone. After all, the Church rejected Galileo. Absolutely, you also needed Greek thinking, you needed them all. But the mixture of Jerusalem, Athens, and Rome is what gives us the Western world as we know as we know it.
Speaker 1: This episode of timeless wisdom will continue right after this. Now back to more of Dennis Prager's timeless wisdom.
Speaker 2: Number three Monotheism and excuse me one second logistic thing Ian connect trouble you for water? I'm sorry, thank you very much. Number three Judaism and Judaism with its monotheism, loathes magic. In fact, later in the Torah you are to put a Some of you who know Yiddish know the word machshefa. Your father may have called his mother in law of that on occasion. That may be where you know the word from machshefa in the Torah is a sorceress, or if in some ways a witch, but a magician. Judaism loathes magic voodoo. It is the antithesis of Judaism. Why in magic, irrational and capricious forces control the world, and so does man. If I do the following things to the following image of you, something will happen to you. That is totally unacceptable to Judaism. God alone controls the world. You can control your life, but you cannot use divination. Whatever uses anything else ascribes power to anything but God his idol worship. In Judaism, Judaism is radical monotheism. God alone rules the world, which means, by the way, that therefore we have tremendous power. Because since irrational forces don't rule the world, we people are very powerfully empowered. We can do a great deal, and it's only up to our One choice is whether or not we wish to acknowledge that God is part of it. That's why I recall my brother, who was a physician, was honored. My brother is an Orthodox Jew and a physician, and he was honored by an Orthodox hospital in Israel for medical work he had done. And he showed me his speech. Thank you so much. He showed me his speech. He began as follows. He cited a Talmudic source which I never had been familiar with, which says Tove schevardof eim Legaehnom, the best of the doctors go to Hell. It's a remarkable statement for the Tumult to make. He'd think the worst doctors go to help. Not true. Why did the best of doctors go to hell? Because there is no person in the world more likely to see himself as a God than a great doctor. A bad doctor is unlikely to see himself as God. He may become a lawyer, but he does not see himself as God. But that is a problem, because the moment a doctor begins to attribute his healing powers to himself and not as a vehicle of God, then he's an idol worshiper, except the idolis himself, the worst possible thing. In an otherwise miserable film, which I commented on on my radio show today, you can see this dialogue on doctor as God in the movie Malice. That is exactly what the doctor gives a very eloquent little soliloquy on why he is God, not least of which is because he went to Harvard Medical School. And there is some truth to that view, and by the way, it is a very possible thing if you save people's lives daily or even weekly. It is a very understandable thing unless you have a very deep belief in God as the source of healing, that you can see yourself gradually in God like terms. Magic is as I said earlier than number three, it is rejected, and it is a major part of pagan ideas to this day, as in voodoo rites in some Third World countries. It is utterly unacceptable to Jewish monotheism. It implies that there are forces other than God that rule the world. Number four one God means that the world is unified. It is unified in many ways. One is morally. One God means one morality. Two gods is two moralities, and multiple gods are multiple moralities. That's pretty obvious. Which God will you listen to? Even in Zoroastrianism, which was a highly advanced religion and continues to be so, but it is obviously much smaller because you cannot convert to Zeroastrianism. You had a God of good and a God of evil. That is why. By the way, Isaiah forty five point seven makes a statement that is very difficult to even state, and that is that God is the source of both good and evil in the world. This is unacceptable, incidentally, to one small but well known movement in Judaism, reconstructionism, that holds that God is only the source of good, and that is one of the reasons. With all respect, so many find people who are in that movement, but with all respect to them, it is why I consider the movement outside theologically outside. I never read a jew out of Jewish life, God forbid, but the idea is very non normative. God is the source of everything, including evil in this world. That doesn't mean that if you murder someone, God has made you murder the person. But God has made murder possible. God has made everything possible, including torture and rape and murder, and you name it. There is one God. The universe is unified by this God. Morally means there's one moral will. It also means scientifically, if you have a god of rain and a God of sun, then there is no possibility for science to develop because clearly what makes it rain is the God of rain. There's no one governing law in the universe like laws of climate or laws of physics. No, there's a god of rain, and if you propitiate the god of rain, you'll get rain. You don't have that in Judaism because the exact same God makes it rain and makes it not rain, so you can't have that. It's not possible. Droughts come from God and floods come from God. Therefore, science is possible because there is one governing body of law in the world. This is all made possible outside of paganism. Pagan societies didn't develop science, They didn't develop much of anything. They were capable. I acknowledge of certain achievements, as we know from some of the Stonehenge and so on. I appreciate that fact, but in the ways in which the West developed, clearly there's no pagan competition as it were. Now, of course, you can use science to then make gas chambers. So obviously this is not a moral This doesn't mean it's morally superior. It simply means that intellectually, if you still believe that a god of this must be propitiated to cause this, you're not going to look for a unifying law of physics or anything else. Number five. It means that the universe has meaning. That's was Henry Bamford Park's point that history moves towards meaning, and the universe has it. This one god has one meaning. We may not know exactly what that meaning is. That's a separate issue in any event, but it means there is meaning to this world. It is not the chaos that it seems to be. Pagan life is chaotic as contrasted to this. Well, we don't even know what the gods will do in Paganism. Maybe if we make love well enough. After all, as I wrote in my paper on homosexuality, you had you had homosexual or at least bisexual gods in Egypt and uh, and they found papyri which would describe about placing my pallus between Oh God, I forgot, forget which one your buttocks? And can you imagine that in Judaism placing placing your penis between God's buttocks. And it's it's it's it's inconceivable, literally inconceivable. That type of god is a chaotic world because they're capricious. Oh, if I make love to that God well enough, have sex with it enough, slaughter enough children for him, slaughter enough virgins, make enough wars, conquer enough slaves, give enough sacrifices, then I'll propitiate the gods. The world is chaotic. The monotheistic world is ordered. Number six, one God means one humanity, a critically critically important thing. If there's one God, we all come. That God is our all of our father or parent if you like. And that is a very basic doctrine incidentally in Judaism, that we have all one father. Only if we all have one father, are we all brothers and sisters? If we have multiple parents, then we're not all brothers and sisters. At best, we're cousins. And that's only on the assumption that the gods are related. So one humanity is very much dependent upon one parenthood of a god. Number seven. Monotheism gives you holiness. Paganism did not have the concept of the holy. That is why I am convinced that you have all of these chapters thus far. With the miserable sexual behavior of the nations around Israel. I don't mean the nation, I don't mean the country Israel. I mean the land of Israel and Israel as the family of Jacob. Remember all the stories of Abraham having to lie or thinking had to lie about his wife saying she's a sister because otherwise they'll kill me because she's a beautiful woman, and just sleep with her. Why did they get all these stories? As I explain then and now with the rape of Dina, look at the way pagan society lived. This is the way they behaved. The concept of the holy that humans just shouldn't behave that way humans are above animals is all from monotheism. To behave like an animal in paganism is terrific, because half the animals were gods. Emulating animals was quite all right. And when I say that we are returning to paganism in some of our thought today, animals is a big part of it. The notion that we are distinct from animals is utterly a Jewish one carried on again by Christianity and Islam. It is not a Pagan one. That is why so many dances were done with animals, so much so you would go in the guys of animals. Animals were so often revered. Indeed, in parts of Hinduism, tragically the lowest caste was treated worse than cows. Cows you had to feed because cows had holiness, But the cast the underclass, the untouchables, no obligations towards them didn't exist. This is not to put down all of Hinduism. There is much beauty in Hinduism, and many beautiful people like Mahatma Gandhi come from it. It is merely to say, though, that the the idea that we are to be utterly separate from animals is a Jewish monotheistic idea, and it is not well received in post Christian America. One day, when I have the time, I will write a book on what post Christian America means, because we are living in it, and we are living with the consequences. And this is a jew speaking but it has been largely a Christian country, and I have no problem in noting that, and I am unhappy about the fact that it is ceasing to be because I know that it was the carrier of the values that I care about. Call it Christian or Judeo Christian, it doesn't matter to me all that much. What matters to me is that these monotheistic values of holiness are carried on and they're not being where there is increasingly a concern for animals. I mean, I'll give you one example among many people, truly, among many sophisticated Americans today, there is a greater concern for the life of a baby seal than there is for the life of a human embryo of a human fetus. I'm not talking at all about the issue of women in abortion. Please put it out of your minds. That is not the issue I'm addressing. I'm addressing the simple, difficult issue of where there is more passion and concern attended to dedicated to, And the answer is frequently an animal one. And the more radical you get in the animal rights movement, the more you have, in fact, the belief that we, as the head of what as an Earth first said humans are a cancer on the earth. Animals are better. Anybody thinks that, By the way, I suggest to you to invest ten dollars or fourteen dollars I think with postage and handling in the time life video series on animal life. I forgot the name of it. I'll remember for you next week. But if any of you ever start romanticizing how animals treat each other, I beg of you to get this series of videos. See for example, what the killer Whales, which are so adorable, and now films where this boy makes friend with killer whale. Killer whale is nicer than half the humans you'll ever meet in your life. They don't show you killer whales in the wild who take baby seals and throw them around like a football before they actually kill it. They just toss it, this terrified little seal around as a game among themselves, and then they kill it. Wouldn't get that out of Hollywood because Hollywood has many pagans in it, and and I and I say that descriptively even more than critically, where where you have this romanticization of the of the animal world, just like they did in the pagan world. Now, I'm not telling you that animals are bad. I don't think animals are good or bad. The whales that throw around the seal are not bad anymore than hammers that that build that build gas chambers in Nazi Europe were bad. It's it's that's the hammer is neutral. An animal is neutral. German shepherds can save your life where they can eat the chew Jews in Auschwitz. So I don't have I don't have a romantic or negative view of animals, and have a few in our home. I like them, but I know their place and they're not me Judaism made this very clear. Paganism didn't. There is a distinction between you and the animal. You can't behave like an animal. You have to behave like God. But to behave like God, and Paganism was to behave like an animal.
Speaker 4: That's the difference. Those are why this is so important.
Speaker 2: And this is the first time in the Torah that there is a mention of other gods to be removed. Okay, I can continue as Jacob said to his household and to all that were with him, rid yourselves of the alien gods in your midst purify yourselves, and change your clothes one minute. Please just want to find okay verse three, Come, let us go up to beth El, and I will build an altar there to the God who answered me when I was in distress. See that's who he's identifying. If he said to his kids and will build an altar there to the invisible and knowable divine author of the universe, his kids would have asked what grapes he had recently made into wine, you understand. Indeed, and indeed Jacob would not have been able to speak like that. In my opinion, this is still the god that the Jews are meeting is a very personal one. Look at what God did for me, I must tell you. I consider that an early and somewhat primitive view of God, the God of look at what God did for me? This too is worth an excursus, as Sarna always uses the term. I will just be very brief. If your God is a god that you primarily relate to as what God did for you, to me, you don't believe in God as much as you do a celestial butler. And there is a very very serious problem in believing in a celestial butler. And I will tell you exactly what it is. If things go wrong for you, you'll end up an atheist, not to mention very bitter. The more your definition of God is look at what God does for me, the less prepared you are for tragedy, because what are you going to say? Then he thinked out on me? Does that mean that God plays no role in your life? I don't believe that either. I do believe God plays a role in our lives or can how specifically is a debate in Jewish history which I won't get into now, But certainly this is not the God that the God of who did these things for me is a very early view of God, a very personal one that judaism arises above. Eventually, okay, one moment, please, okay. They gave to Jacob all the alien gods that they had and the rings that were in their ears see their return to paganism. You see all the men with ear rings in our time, and Jacob buried them under the terebinth, which is which was a holy tree in those days, that was near Shechem. As they set out, a terror from God fell on the cities round about, so that they did not pursue the sons of Jacob. In other words, God placed the fear in them from attacking for this small group of the sons of Jacob. Thus Jacob came to lose, that is beth L in the land of Canan, he and all the people who were with him. There, he built an altar and named the site l beth L, that's God, the house of God. He's as it were, giving it a newer name, for it was there. The reason that he gives it a newer name is beth L was holy the Pagans too, so he wanted to rename it. It's like old Bethel, And now the new Bethel. It's of L, the real God. You with me, because beth L means beth L means house of God, So literally l Bethel is God house of God. For it was there that God had revealed himself to him when he was fleeing from his brother verse eight, which is a real toughie. What's it doing there? Deborah, Rebecca's nurse, died and was buried under the oak below Bethel, so it was named alone Bahut. Now you normally people don't crack up when they read the Torah, and I will explain it doesn't. It doesn't make sense. Who cares when the wet nurse of Rachel died? Excuse me, of Rebecca died. Think about it for a minute. We don't. We don't hear almost ever when when the women die. So of all the women to tell us this epochal event that she died is the wet nurse of of Rebecca. And the truth is a lot of them don't understand it either. A lot of the commentary commentaries they ask why is this even mentioned. I'll give you three reasons that Sarna gives because I had no answer at all. I'll give you his one. The presumption seems unavoidable that traditions about Deborah, which would make the context of the present notice intelligible, were widely known to reader and narrator alike in Biblical times, but they weren't included in the That's important. Remember this document is three thousand plus years old, so you have to understand they understood stuff that we clearly don't understand. Obviously, there were references to things that made a whole Oh really, that's what happened to Rebecca, who dun da Whereas you don't have any daddas about Rebecca. We don't know anything except that she was basically the wet nurse here on behalf of Rebecca, I mean Deborah. Excuse me, We don't know anything about Deborah except that so they had these things about Deborah earlier. Reason number two, He writes, there may be a deeper purpose as well, with the purging of Idolatry and the arrival at beth El, the contacts with Mesopotamia. Where did we meet Deborah? We met her once. We met her in Mesopotamia when Isaac went with the mess when the messenger was sent in order to get Isaac a wife. Remember that, No, but that's what happened. And they were sent to Mesopotamia because they were not to get a wife from the Canaanite women. So they went to Mesopotamia. And that's where The only other time is chapter twenty nine, when we met when we met Devora Deborah, so she's from Mesopotamia. Now, this is a way of saying, with Deborah's death, contacts with pagan Mesopotamia are severed. Not an interesting point that Sarna makes see from a sentence that none of us would have ever given a minute's thought to would have talked to our friend during Shule while it was read. Okay, oh, those are the two Those are the two reasons. Okay, we go on by the way alone. Bahut means tree of crying. Verse nine. God appeared again to Jacob on his arrival from Padana. RAHMANI blessed him. God said to him, you whose name is Jacob, you shall be called Jacob no more, but Israel shall be your name. Thus he named him Israel. Now, what's the most obvious question. No, no, that's not the most odd second most obvious question, that's right. Why is this repeated? He already got renamed Israel? What does God not know of it now. This is a classic example of where a lot of the scholars who believe in the documentary hypothesis, which is nearly all of them, I need to be intellectually honest and tell you that it is almost universally held among secular scholars that the Torah is composed of basically four original documents redacted or edited by a redactor or editor later jep and d there called Jehovah Elohim, priestly and deuteronomic. And this to them is a classic example why repeat it? It must be from the other tradition which they kept in. Those of us who think that it's more complex than that, and who are more religiously oriented, will just answer as indeed, Sarna, who is a scholar and religious though not orthodox Jew, says that there is another reason why it's repeated, and it makes perfect sense to me. Listen to what he writes. Jacob's name has changed to Israel for the second time in chapter thirty two. It was not God personally, but an angelic being you made the pronouncement. You see, that makes perfect sense. It's I God who wants your name Israel, not just an angel or messenger that makes perfect sense. You didn't need two documents here. It may have just simply been that. Moreover, there's another reason why it's repeated. According to Sarna, it was made on the other side of the Jordan, not in the land of Israel. See therefore, the new name Israel needs to be confirmed and validated by God himself in the promised land. The fact that God is said to appear again quote unquote, and that remarkably no rationale for the new name is given here shows a dependency on the earlier narrative. In other words, the very fact is it's not a second story. It depends on your knowing the first story to make this part intelligible. Now if you don't know the first story, very quickly, Jacob has this dream that there are messengers or angels of God going up and down from the earth, up like a ladder, which is really the old Mesopotamian shape of ziggurats of the holy places, up from the sky and back down again, and he wrestles with an angel or wrestles with a man it's not totally clear, and is wounded. But Israel was given his name. Israel means which is the name of the Jewish people Jews a much later name from Judah. Israel means struggle or fight with God. Yes, rah al Al is God yras to fight. And as I said when I taught that chapter, then that does personify the Jewish people a people that fights with God, which I like, the problem with the Jewish people today is that it ignores God, not fights with God. Big problem. Okay. And thus he named them Israel verse eleven. And God said to him, I am el Shadai, it's another name of God. Be fertile and increase a nation. Indeed, an assembly of nations shall descend from you, kings, shall issue from your loins. I have not yet received an answer on what it means an assembly of nations will descend from you. I thought only one nation. Now does it mean that each one of the sons is going to be a separate nation. They became separate tribes, but of one nation? What does it mean? Does anybody know? What does it mean when God blesses Jacob that an assembly of nations will come forth from you? Anybody have an I don't have an answer, probably to Muslims and Christians, but there they don't consider themselves nations. They consider themselves religion. So even there it wouldn't be yes, half the lost tribes and they you know, if they fell being from gasting all different. Yeah, but that's ex post facto that this is not an anticipation of the of the tribes being lost. I'll tell you what is the one possibility that I that I have thought of. It might be a hint for the fact that all of the nations that will come from you, can not only mean the obvious of well, the Jewish nation, but all the nations that will affirm me as God will do so as a result of coming from you. That that strikes me as a very real possibility, because there is a deep universalist streak in the Torah and in Judaism. Remember when God blesses Abraham, the first monotheist, what he says vi vard hubercha call me dam through you, all the families of the earth will be blessed. There is no notion in the Torah that only Jews get blessed because because of the Jewish knowledge of God. The purpose of the Jewish knowledge of God so that the world knows God. So the assembly of nations is assembly of monotheistic nations, not Jewish nations. That's how I would I would read it, and I don't like to read into text, but it strikes me given that it already says. It says a nation and an assembly of nations. The nation is the Jewish nation, the Hebrew nation bene Israel. But it's distinctly saying, and an assembly of nations. Thanks to your knowing me and my blessing you, an assembly of nations that know me will come into this world. That's exactly what happened. All nations that are monotheistic are so because of this book. Okay, sound plausible to you, It sounded to me. I checked with a dear friend who's an Orthodox scholar, and since he didn't have an answer, I think in mind was good. Number twelve The Land Verse twelve. The land that I signed to Abraham and Isaac, I assigned to you and to your offspring to come. Will I assign the land? The one distinctive thing for Jews is the land of Israel. Everything else is universal, but the land is very Particularist thirteen, God parted from him at the spot where he had spoken to him. That reminds me of a phone call I got today on my radio show which a guy calls up and he is obviously a well educated guy, and telling me that he felt that he wanted to challenge me because I believe in God and he thought that the notion of God as creator was scientifically untenable and illogical. He said, okay, what's your alternate thesis? And then he started giving some scientific stuff and then said, and I'll tell you, it's also quite clear that the God whom people believed in in the Bible were extra terrestrials who said they were God. So you know, it's one of those moments that I have to tell my engineer to prepare, to prepare the Twilight Zone theme for I said, you know, I fully appreciate that you would feel that it's not logical that I believe in God. It's okay, I can live with that, but that you then offer as your logical alternative extra terrestrial is a bit too difficult for me to take. It was really one of the funniest calls without anybody laughing, that I had ever had. But just reminds me now when I see that, you know, God speaking to what it says here God parted from him at that spot. It made me think, oh, it's an extra terrestrial who just took off verse fourteen. And Jacob set up a pillar at the site where he had spoken to him, a pillar of stone, and he offered a libation on it and poured oil upon it. Jacob gave the sight where God had spoken to him the name of beth L. They set out from beth L. One second they set out from Bethel. But when they were still some distance short of e Frat, Rachel was in childbirth, his beloved Rachel, and she had hard labor. When her labor was at its hardest, the midwife said to her, have no fear, for it is another boy for you. As Sarna writes, Rachel is comforted in her death agony by the knowledge that God answered the prayer she had uttered after the birth of Joseph. May the Lord add another son for me? And the obvious should not be belabored, but sons mattered more. It is one of the welcome, deeply welcome shifts of contemporary life that that is not the case in many families, but certainly in that world, and in too much of the modern world it continues to be the case. But as she breathed her last for she was dying. She named him Ben One. His father called him ben Yamin. I'm giving you the Hebrew so you'll realize how close it is to what she named him. She named him Ben one, he named him Ben Yamin. I'll explain that. Four explanations for Ben Yamin or Benjamin. Jacob either reinterprets Ben one, which is the son of my sorrow. That's the name that Rachel gives as she's dying to the boy. The son Ben is son one my sorrow. Jacob either reinterprets Ben one or replaces it by a more auspicious name. Two, the meaning could be the son of my right hand Yemen in Hebrew means right, so Ben Yamin would be the son of my right, the right being a symbol of dexterity, power protection. Third, another rendering is son of the South, that is, the unborn to the South. Such a meaning, suggested by Rashi, finds analogy in the Mari texts ancient world of the Mari, which refer to tribal confederations of Dumu, mess Yamina, sons of the South, Southerners, and so on. A third possibility put forth by Raschbaum, the one I subscribe to for whatever it's worth, and it shouldn't be worth too much in this instance. I'm not an entomologist. It just makes the most sense to me. Is Yamin is Yamim, which means days, so that his name is the sun of my days. I'm an old man and he's the son of my days. That has struck me as the most logical. I guess he just didn't want to have a child walking around with the name son of my sorrow. I mean, I don't want you to think he was being a nice to his dying wife, but you have to understand it's a burden to walk around with such a name. What is your name, son of my mother sorrow? Oh, good to meet you over us. Rachel died. She was buried on the road to Efrat, which is now Bethlehem. Over her grave, Jacob set up a pillar. It is the pillar at Rachel's grave to this day. Israel journeyed on and pitched his tent beyond mighdhal Adir, And here is one of the strangest verses in the Torah verse twenty two. While Israel stayed in that land, Reuben went out and lay with Bilha, his father's concubine and Israel found out. It is strange for one thing, because it's very very important and you hear nothing about it. I mean, you get all these verses with so and so begat so and so beget so and so something incredibly important. The firstborn sleeps with his father's concubine, and that's all you get. And the Hebrew is very dramatic because the sentence does not end with a period in Hebrew. In the Torah. The Torah is actually written with no punctuation. It's got no periods. It doesn't even have vowels. It's difficult to read, but it does have an ancient pronunciation system of vowels and cantillation musical signs, and one of the signs is called sof passuk, which means and diverse. You don't have that like that here. You have it ending at a comma in a way to tell you there's a lot more, but we're not telling you. That is exactly how the Hebrew is. It does not end with the period. It ends with an etnata. For the handful of you who know Hebrew cantilation, it says Ruvene went and slept with Bilha his father's concubine. Now why is that important Rubn's All of this leads to the conclusion that Ruveine Ruven's bid to promote his mother's rights is at the same time a calculated challenge to his father's authority. He did not want Bilha to take over for his mother. For his his mother Rachel's writes, that's the ostensible reason. It follows her death right. So excuse me. His mother is Leah. I'm sorry, Rachel dies. Leah is living. He doesn't want Bilha to usurp his mother Leah's rights. Get it, that's the ostensible reason. All that are left now are Leah and Bilha, not Ley and Rachel. So he doesn't want bill haa to concubine to take his mother Lea's rights. Remember, he was very devoted to his mother Lea. If you recall when he brought man Drake so that she could become fertile. It's a very touching story earlier in Genesis. By violating Bilha, Ruvein makes sure that she cannot supplant or even rival his mother's position of chief wife now that Rachel is dead. But it wasn't all on behalf of mommy Leah. It was very much on behalf of himself. It was a calculated challenge to his father's authority. His move is more political than lustful, right Sarna. The summary account in this verse hides an attempt to usurp the leadership of the Israelite tribes. Its failure is reflected in Jacob's rebuke when he blesses his children at the end of his life, in which he removes Ruvein from hegemony. Hegemony over the tribes. He understood because it says by Ishma Yusra al Israel heard what happened. So this rubens quite a calculating guy. And we'll find more calculations later with regard to Joseph, which we'll get to next time. Just finish the chapter now. The sons of Jacob, we're twelve in number, the sons of Lea Ruvein, Jacob's firstborn shim On levy Huda, y Sahar, and Zvulun, the sons of Rachel, Joseph, and Benjamin, the sons of Bilh Rachel's maid, right whom we just had slept with by Ruvain Doun enough Tali, enough Tali, and the sons of Zilpah, Leah's maid got in as share. These are the sons of Jacob who were born to him in Padana Ram, which is not fully true. Benjamin wasn't, but little literary license never hurt anybody, and Jacob came to his father Isaac at Mamre at Kiriyat ab Arba, now Hevron, where Abraham and Isaac had sojourned. Isaac was one hundred and eighty years old when he breathed his last and died. He was gathered to his kin. Remember that last time. This is an intimation of the afterlife in the Torah. He was gathered to his kin means he went back to his relatives who had died. And I gave a very long talk. Then it's on tape, so I won't belabor it now that Judaism emphatically believes in an afterlife, but why the Torah was silent on it. I also spoke about if you missed it in ten seconds, because the moment you talk about the afterlife, people don't value this one. It was Judaism's genius to get Jews preoccupied with this life. And like all blessings, it came with a curse. A lot of Jews became only preoccupied with this life. Hence Jews became the fathers and mothers of all the isms to change society because more than any other religious group, Jews were this world oriented. But if you're to this world oriented, you become a revolutionary because you realize that if you don't make the world better now, you will not live to see a better world, because when you die, that's it. That is why secular revolutionaries are so often frightening, because they believe that if they don't have the revolution now, they will die before a better world comes about. Whereas if you believe in another world, then you realize you don't have to fix up this world perfectly. You try to make it a little better, which is the only way that works, and that you will have your just reward in the afterlife. The problem with believing in the afterlife, because that's a blessing that has occurs too, is that you can say, well, why bother with this world, I'll just go to the afterlife, which is a factor in a number of groups that ignore this world or worse, really worse, those who think that it's emitstv to kill yourself in the name of your God, like some of the radical Muslims, for whom it is a the greatest possible thing is to die for Allah. And you never have anywhere in Judaism that the greatest thing you can do is to die for hushan nowhere if you have to. But it's not considered the greatest thing at all. The greatest thing is to live for God, not die for God. It's a very very real problem. He was gathered to his kin in ripe old age, and he was buried by his sons, Esau and Jacob. Esau is a decent guy, just not the right guy to carry on Monotheism. And it's very important to remember next time. I have two things to say. One the next meeting is not two weeks from now, but next Monday. Next Monday, I will zoom through chapter thirty six because it's almost all genealogy, and we start in the final part of the Book of Genesis, all about Joseph and his brothers, the most immortal story in Western literature. Thank you, See you in a week.
Speaker 1: On Tomorrow's Sunday fireside chat Evelyn fourteen, Newark, Ohio.
Speaker 5: Himuster Prager and a Smiley. I have a simple question, but I'm very curious to know the answer. Just wondering who has influenced you throughout your life. Thank you so much for the fireside chatter. Really helps me think through things. Say hi to Ottaw and Snoopy for me, Snoop Otto. Hello from Evelyn, fourteen years old, Newark, Ohio.
Speaker 1: Join us tomorrow to hear more on Timeless Wisdom with Dennis Prigger.
Speaker 2: This has been Timeless Wisdom with Dennis Prager.
Speaker 1: Visit Dennisprager dot com for thousands of hours of Dennis's lectures, courses in classic radio programs, and to purchase Dennis Prager's Rational Bibles. We want to take just a second to thank the team e met Life Audio for their partnership with us on the podcast. Go to lifeaudio dot com to find dozens of other faith centered podcasts and their network, including shows about prayer, Bible study, parenting, and more.