Speaker 1: Life Audio.
Speaker 2: Hey there, and welcome to another prayer through the Psalms episode of the Praying Christian Women podcast. I'm Jamie, and I'm very.
Speaker 1: Very excited to be with you.
Speaker 2: You may not know it, but it's been a while since I've recorded a psalm. I did a few kind of in a batch because I knew I was going to be busy and away from the computer, and I'm so happy to be back. I love this time with you. It is sacred and special and set apart and makes me slow down and I'm going to be fully transparent with you. I'm not always happy about it. There are times when I know I have psalms to record and I think, oh my goodness, that's going to take a lot. Because it does. It sounds counterintuitive, but as a fellow human, you know, it takes energy to slow down.
Speaker 1: It takes effort to.
Speaker 2: Stop the grind, to take a step off the treadmill of life and meditate on God's word. And I'm going to also confess that I haven't been meditating outside of these psalms in the last few weeks on God's word like I should be.
Speaker 1: And it takes a toll. It steals energy.
Speaker 2: From us to give constantly to the demands of busyness, to pour ourselves into tasks and to do lists, and there's a time for them. A lot of it is just stuff that has to be done. But I believe that's why God created the Sabbath, and he knew that there is absolutely a time when we need to slow down.
Speaker 1: And not to mention.
Speaker 2: When we become disconnected from the vine, we start to wither. I see that in my one hundred degree Utah weather the last week. Is there was a section in our grape vine and they've been getting watered vine, but there was a section that I guess the wind had kind of blown off, and I.
Speaker 1: Couldn't tell it first.
Speaker 2: At first I went out there, and you know, everything looked great. And then a few days later I look and there's this whole like withered section, and I thought, oh, my goodness, there must be like a pest or an infestation of something, or a blight or I don't know. I don't know what affects grapes. I'm new to grape vines. And it was just that the wind had there'd been a vine that had been like growing kind of out from the others and just one section, but that part of the vine had gotten blown by the wind, I.
Speaker 1: Guess, and snapped.
Speaker 2: It had kind of like it still was attached, but it was crimped, and so basically it was effectively detached, not physically, but for all intents and purposes from the actual vine, which, if you know anything about grapes, the vine itself is this big, gnarly like brown tree, trunky kind of material, and then every year you cut it back so it looks dead. I was terrified the first time I did it two years ago, and it looks like it's all dead. But then in the spring at late spring, because I was scared for a while, but late spring you start to see these leaves emerge, and then you get these gigantic like tons of vines. It's crazy how much it produces every year. And all that to say that this one huge section of vine had been like new growth, had basically been cut off from the main vine because of being crimped over from the wind.
Speaker 1: So this entire section was just.
Speaker 2: Withered and gnarly and just crunchy crispy from totally dying.
Speaker 1: And that's us.
Speaker 2: It doesn't happen immediately, we might not even notice it. And for us, it's not necessarily days. I think it can be weeks and months and years of being sort of subtle crimped off from God, from the true vine. But it takes its toll, and I think from my experience, the enemy gets a foothold, and it actually when you get in a routine of business, it makes slowing down seem undesirable, and it makes the act of being in God's word feel boring in contrast. And I know that sounds harsh and terrible and sinful, and it is, but it's just what has happened to me at times. And so it took some effort to get me in front of this computer because I do have so much going on right now, and I'm sure all of you do too. But I really hope that you're able to just take some time each week, whether it's this podcast, whether it's another podcast, whether it's just sitting quietly with God with your own devotion, whatever it is, I hope you will take time. So I had the pressure of showing up for you, but without that external pressure, I honestly could see myself going weeks or months without truly slowing down and taking time with God. And so let this just be the reminder a. If this is how you feel, I'm just being real about it, because if you resonate with this truth, it's okay.
Speaker 1: Embrace it and take.
Speaker 2: It to God and say God, I kind of feel like reading your word is become a little bit boring.
Speaker 1: Help me.
Speaker 2: And I guarantee when you get to the place where you sit down and you actually read it, it will come alive again.
Speaker 1: God will speak to you through it.
Speaker 2: It will stoke those fires, those embers that have kind of gone cold, and God will breed life into your Bible reading, into your time with Him. So I didn't mean to go off on that tangent, but the Lord must have had something for you just through what I've been experiencing and going through. So today we are going to be talking about and praying through Psalm sixty seven.
Speaker 1: Do I hear the parents of.
Speaker 2: Young ish maybetween early teen children collectively sighing.
Speaker 1: With you know, six seven.
Speaker 2: I know that we've passed that, but I can't hear six and seven anymore without the six seven kind of echoing in my mind. So if that's you, get it out of your system, do the little hand motion, whatever you got to do.
Speaker 1: Psalm sixty seven.
Speaker 2: We're in it, and now we can focus.
Speaker 1: Let's pray.
Speaker 2: God, we just thank you for giving us your word. Thank you for the relationship that you extend to each one of us. I know that I take it for granted all the time, and I'm sorry. Thank you for taking us back with open arms when we take time away from spending time with you and reading your word and praying. I know there's a time for surface prayers, for the shout out prayers when we need you desperately, and the on the go prayers, but there's also definitely time for deep, meditative, contemplative prayer with you. And there's always time for reading your word and spending time slowing our brains down, giving us enough white space to hear back. Teach us how to do that better. Lord, I just pray for the body of Christ in this incredible, amazing and also terrible age of technology. Help us navigate it with grace, protect us from lasting damage. I look at our children and the next generations that come after us, and I'm burdened and scared. Frankly, I see what it's done to me, and I know what it must be doing to them. And we just pray God that in your mercy you would protect the body of Christ, protect our sons and daughters and grandchildren and great grandchildren and generations to come, until Christ returns from growing cold and distant because of technology, from growing isolated and shut off and self sufficient or seemingly self sufficient because of technology and the fast pace of the world around us, and the busyness that seems to have talents just gripping us and won't let go. The busyness that can be an idol that we can wear like a badge of honor, and we could trade because of what it gives us. For a relationship with you that takes a little bit of work and that takes time and takes patience and slowing down, that doesn't give us instant gratification, but is so much greater and more gratifying and satisfying than anything this world could offer. Take the blinders off, in Jesus' name, Take them off of ourselves, Take them off of our children, our grandchildren, generations to come. Help your people to see clearly, to be wise in how we use technology and how we allow ourselves to be sucked into the world. Let us be in the world, but not of the world and to know how to do that. It's hard, it's not easy, it's not straightforward. In Jesus' name, Amen, all right, Well, this is Psalm sixty seven the Nations exhorted to pray God for the choir director with stringed instruments, a psalm a song. And I have read that this is often attributed to David, even though it doesn't explicitly say so. Maybe it follows in some of his wording. I don't know who came to that conclusion and why, but that's what I read. This is a very short psalm, and it kind of touches on what I said in my prayer. It touches on God being a god not of a select view, but of everyone on earth. And that went in kind of flew in the face of the ancient world at that time, the worldview in that time that this was written, it was kind of thought that the gods were regional, that the people's gods were gods of them, and the god of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob was the god of Israel. Those are the people he chose. And a lot of these psalms of David, and I'm guessing because he is prophetic and inspired by the Holy Spirit, speak of a greater kingdom, and I love it. It's beautiful. So the nations are exhorted to praise God. God be gracious to us and bless us, and cause his face to shine upon us. Selah, And I want to talk about that real quick, because that is actually borrowed from a previous passage in chapter six, verses twenty four to twenty six says the Lord bless you and keep you. The Lord make his face shine upon you, And it intentionally adapts this blessing and takes it beyond Israel. God be gracious to us collective, and bless us collectively, and cause his face to shine upon us, that your way may be known on the earth, your salvation among all nations. Let the peoples praise you, Oh God, Let all the peoples praise you. Let the nations and that word nations can be translated as tribes, nations, ethnic groups. So the Hebrew word is amim, and it means tribes, nations, and ethnic groups, not just Israel, very clearly, not just Israel. Let the nations be glad and sing for joy, for you will judge the peoples with uprightness and guide the nations on the earth. Selah, let the peoples praise you, Oh God, Let all the peoples praise you. The earth has yielded its produce. God, our God blesses us. God blesses us that all the ends of the earth may fear Him. And how beautiful is this. There's this whole big picture of God blesses everyone. And then it goes to in verse seven. God blesses us Israel, that all the ends of the earth may fear Him, and not fear like tremble in trepidation and turning away from but fear revere like every nieshell bow, every tongue confess. So our blessing is not just for us, but it will be for all nations. And God promised that to Abraham too. He said, you will be blessed, so that the world may in turn be blessed. Some of that blessing is through Jesus because he came through the line of Israel. But I firmly believe that it is a universal not universalism, but a universal blessing for all people. That Israel was blessed because there were more people in the sphere of Israel than just Israelites. There were people from all over the place. That's why they had laws and rules about how to treat foreigners, how to incorporate people in a way that displayed the glory of God but did not allow for people of Israel to be led astray to other gods. But there were other people that were influenced by Israel and that saw God's love for them, that saw their hygiene that was, you know, basically better. And it's not because they studied microbiology. It's because their laws came from God's mouth and he's the creator of the universe and this earth, and he knows how things work, their circumcision on a certain day and the actual hematology that means that that is the best day to do it. There's all kinds of wisdom in the way that the people of God, the people of Israel, were living that was supernaturally given for their benefit and to display God's trueness and realness and goodness to the people around them. And that transfers to us as Christians. We are blessed, not so we can stay in our self contained survival pod, but so that we can bless others within the body of Christ. And then so that we the body of Christ can bless others outside of the Body of Christ. And I'm going to tell you I have been doing a bad job of this myself. It's been a struggle to get plugged in to our church here in Utah. We moved from Alaska a couple of years ago, and it's been hard. It's been really tough circumstances, our schedules have kind of been wagging the dog, and we've gotten back into it to a certain point, but we haven't gotten back to where I feel we are truly like an integral part, like we're actually cogs in the body of Christ in our local church. And you know, there are seasons, and I don't know that this isn't just a season, but there's part of me that feels like it's time to really start to move back into that because it's it's been too long that we've been kind of outsiders looking in. And it doesn't mean we're not part of the Body of Christ. I'm with you right now, or the Body of Christ. We're praying. I have other members of the Body that I'm friends with, that I serve with, that I speak with, that we encourage each other. But the local church is kind of the ground zero of how the Body of Christ can bless the world. And I love our church that we've become part of. They do so much outreach and blessing of the community, and not just our community, communities across the globe. They're very missional, very servant minded. So I'm proud and excited to be part of this Body of Christ. I'd like to be a little more connected though. Anyway, this is an episode of tangents, So I hope that.
Speaker 1: God spoke to you through this. I hope that you'll go.
Speaker 2: Back to some of these and glean your own things from it. I really hope that you're not just relying on my interpretation, because I've told you before, always check me theological and every other way, because I'm not a theologian and I'm imperfect. Read the word of God. Test it against truth that you know. I'm sorry, Test what I say against truth that you know based on the word of God. Don't test the word of God against things that you think you know. That's kind of backwards, and just take that time. I think the boiled down lesson for today for me is it's important to spend time with God. It's important to slow down. It's important to embrace his word, to meditate on it. And that doesn't mean just playing through this episode one time. I think it means going back, reading through yourself and saying, God, what do you have for me in this not some commentary, not some podcast host.
Speaker 1: What do you have for me?
Speaker 2: And do that not just with the stuff that we do together, but with your own stuff. All right, thank you for joining me, and I hope you have a wonderful week. And let's close in some prayer. Father, thank you again for this time. We just pray that you would help us to come out of this time with radiant faces after having come into your presence, that we would have been transformed through this time, that people would see us and would talk to us, and they would know that we've been with you. We just asked that you would continue to let these words ruminate in our minds and in our hearts, that this wouldn't be it, that it would just kind of stoke those embers that have gotten cold. Help them to just heat up. Give us a burning to meet with you, Give us a burning for your word to understand it better, to gain wisdom from it, to find hidden gems within the words. Of the Bible that speak to us in a new and true way. In Jesus' name, Amen, we'd like to take just a quick second to thank the team at Life Audio for their.
Speaker 1: Partnership with us on the podcast.
Speaker 2: If you go to lifeaudio dot com you will find dozens of other faith centered podcasts in their network. They've got shows about prayer, Bible study, parenting, and so much more. That's life audio dot com.