Speaker 1: Welcome to today's podcast sponsored by Hillsdale College, All Things Hillsdale at Hillsdale dot ed or I encourage you to take advantage of the many free online courses there, and of course I'll listen to the Hillsdale Dialogue all of them at Hugh for Hillsdale dot com or just Google, Apple, iTunes and Hillsdale Morning. Glauria and Indian Grace. Welcome to the Big Weekend Pod America. I'm Hugh HEWITTT. Good pod today, great pod, if I may say so myself, Prompted in part by Canadian Prime Minister Mark Carney's Bankers Address to the Bankers at Davos. I got a standing ovation, got a big standing ovation at Davos, Mark Karney did. I don't know what's happened in Canada, all right, Stephen Harper was a great prime minister, Brian mulroney, great partner with Ronald Reagan and facing down the Soviet Union. They had the clown Trudeau for a long time. Now they've turned to mister Davos himself, Mark Carney. I want you to make time to listen to it, so I'm going to have Harley had the fifteen minute speech not the Q and A. It's only fifteen minutes. Mark Carney, the fifteen minute speech. I talk about it with my guests today, John Ellis, Well, I'll lead off with Matt Contnetty, than Ben Dominic, then Eli Lake, then John Ellis. But listening to Mark Carney thing, it's quite quietly but quite definitely anti American turn trough. It's also very cowardly because Carney avoids naming President Trump for the United States. You got that big standing o though at the Banker's Annual PEP rally and Davos. Of course he would. But as you listen, keep in mind some facts. First, CARNEI purports to speak for the so called Middle Powers. That's a variant I guess of the non aligned nations of the Cold War, which is odd since Canada depends almost entirely on America for its national defense and for the freedom of the seas. That allows it to sell its major asset, which is oil. Now, I like Canada. My in laws are Canadian, my daughter in law is Canadian. Love Canadians love maple syrup. There's even a hockey joke in the introduction of Carney. Who who doesn't like Canadian Adam is Canadian man who's producing this second. Canada has a population of forty two million people and a GDP of two point four trillion, but it doesn't even spend two percent of that GDP on defense. It promises that it's going to get to two percent two percent by twenty thirty. Right, it just isn't really a middle power, if there's any kind of a definition of middle power, which would begin with consistent spending of between three and five percent of your GDP. Carney says he stands in the course of the speech with Greenland and Denmark. He didn't say he's standing against because it's a uniquely cowardly approach to Reddick, like I said that named the president of the US, but when he's asking question the answer if there's an off ramp on the subject. Carney says he's hopeful that the quote discussions have been catalyzed in an unusual way. In other words, Trump's getting it done because we need golden doll. Carney talks about the need for Europe and the transpecific partnership to get together to expand trade and counterock the hedgemons. First of all, you should know there is no Transpacific partnership. It's a dream. Secondly, hedgemons, China and the United States are the big superpowers. I guess we're the same. He really did say the two hedgemons, the Middle Powers have to stand against the two hedgemons, US stand against US. No difference at all between China and the United States. He doesn't mention the sixty two billion dollar trade surplus that Canada has with the US. In fact, his speech is free of hard facts. He does mention, I should say, he does mention that Canada has submarines. It does. Four submarines, the newest of what was commissioned in twenty fifteen. The other three were commissioned in two thousand and three, two of them, and in two thousand I got a twenty six year old submarine like a Beatles song. Canada has a standing military of sixty eight thousand. Unlike Poland and Finland, they are frontlines states with Russia. They do as much as they can with as much as they have. Canada doesn't really actually have the ability to repulse a conventional incursion from Russia without the US to back it up quickly. You know, Finland's got reserve forces. They only have standing on me at twenty three twenty four thousand, but they have reserve forces of two hundred and eighty thousand that can mobilize immediately if Putin gets pesky up North and Poland spends close to five percent of their GDP on defense. Those are middle powers. Now the big power, Israel punches so far above them with ten million people. So it's not like they can't do it. They're a free writer. Canada is a free writer. They're a nice free writer. We like hockey, we like maple syrup. We like to go to Toronto and Montreal. People like to visit there. But they are a free rider. And when he compares us to China and he just got back from China said he had a good, great meeting there, and he has an alliance with China. Twice in this speech. It's at the end of this he mentions human rights. Just keep in mind the genocide of the Wigers, the crushing of Hong Kong's freedoms, the ongoing threat to Taiwan, Jimmy Laive's imprisonment. None of that distinguishes that Hedgemond from our being a Hegemont. So the truth is hard truth. Canada lives under the umbrella of the United States and has for eighty years. It has its excellent standard of living because of the freedom of the seas guaranteed by the United States Navy and by our trade with them. When you hear Carney declared, and you will Canada be an energy superpower, ask yourself which countries doesn't sell its oil too? That would be US mostly, And to which countries it could sell the oil should freedom of the seas be contested? Justin Trudeau was a clown right Mark Carney appears to be the vain banker from the Bonfire of the Vanities by Tom Will the master of the universe in an imaginary world. Of course, he got a standing ovation at Davos for his middle power at chess thumping. What in the world has happened in Canada since the days of Harper and Mulroney, I don't know, but that's on my mind today when I talk with Kontinetti, with Ben Dominich, and we're going to cover Jack Smith, We're going to cover Greenland, We're going to cover everything that happened during the week, especially whether or not President Trump should and will strike Iran. That's the most important issue in the world. That's, by the way, he doesn't mention that Karnee didn't mention the fact that President Trump got rid of the nuclear program, obliterated it to the benefit of the entire world, something that no other power, the other hedgemond wasn't going to do because the other hedgemon buys all of its oil from Iran, which allows Iron to mo down fifteen thousand people. Mark Corney doesn't know that you think I'm a little bit upset with Mark carnieat he's a banker. It's like Mayor Frye had submarines and oil that he's just basically a blue state mayor, the blue state mayor of Canada. Mark Carney. What a smarmy speech. But that just leads us in to the big weekend pod enjoy. Welcome back, America. I'm Hugh Hewett. I'm joined by Matt Contadenny, who is of course head of domestic Policy Studies at the Canadian Enterprise North the American Enterprise Institute. He's also the Canadian Journal Wall Street Journal columnist, and he's just back from Canada. I was going to call him the Kim Philby of Canada, but I think Don McLean or Guy Burgess sounds more Canadian. What were you doing up north in the land of hockey and lander?
Speaker 2: That's Flanders on my character, comparing me to those Cambridge spies. No, I was in Canada engaged in high stakes diplomacy. Hugh went to Toronto Wednesday evening, spent a whole twenty four hours there with our northern neighbor.
Speaker 3: Touchdown in Ottawa.
Speaker 2: Briefly on my back to DC, and I can report the following Canada is not happy with President Trump and his rhetoric on Greenland or the fifty first state.
Speaker 3: And so my job there was.
Speaker 2: To explain what Trump is up to in shaping the world in order to create kind of the sinews, restore the sinews of Western civilization in preparation for the competition with China. I'd like to think I convinced a few of my Canadian friends, but it was tough going.
Speaker 1: You need to sit down with Mark Kearney. Have you listened to the Mark Kearney address at Davos yet?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 2: Yes, you know that speech was the talk of the chattering class here in d C almost as soon as it was delivered. And so ever curious, I went and I looked it up. I watched the speech, and I have to say, I don't know what all the fuss was about.
Speaker 1: Hugh Oh, I think it's one of them. More we have anti American speeches because it's cowardly. He never mentioned America or Donald Trump, but he talks about the Hedgemonds, meaning that China and US are alike, and then he runs through I'll just give you some of the highlights. Cut number four.
Speaker 3: We placed the sign in the window, We participated in the rituals, and we largely avoided calling out the gaps between rhetoric and reality. This bargain no longer works. Let me be direct. We are in the midst of a rupture.
Speaker 1: Not a transition, all right, Matt, A rupture. They are not protected from the world without us. They depend upon our nuclear umbrella, our military. They have four submarines, sixty eight thousand soldiers. They spend less than two percent of their GDP on national defense, and the oil they send abroad is only because we maintain freedom of the seas. If we didn't, they'd have to sell it all to us. It was the most arrogant, two faced thing I have heard from a world leader who depends upon America to the extent that Canada does. It really enraged me, So tell me why I'm wrong.
Speaker 3: No, I don't think you're wrong.
Speaker 2: I think there are two main problems with this speech that Prime Minister carneg gave. The first one is there was no action item. It was all rhetoric. It's all quotations from Thucydides and Bossil of Hovel. But he never said what he was going to do except have this liberal, pluralistic society that he is oversees he governs in Canada. But that what does that mean? Is he actually going to spend more more money on defense? Is he going to correct the wreckage that Justin Trudeau caused Canada through socialism and through the Green New Deal?
Speaker 3: You know, the Canadian economy.
Speaker 2: America has opened up a tremendous gap in per capita GDP and productivity with Canada. Canada has real domestic issues that the United States did not cause, Canada caused them, and he needs to address those. And the second thing about the speech was I thought it was really really rich because he delivered the speech obviously directed toward President Trump, less than a week after he met with Sijinping, Yes, who does not believe in freedom, wants to set the rules of this new world order in a way that would disadvantage any country not named China. And Carney there was extremely solicitous, even slavish, towards Si Jinping. And so if you're going to quote Vaslovhavel about speaking truth to power, why don't you do it to the Chinese communist dictator? And instead of going up to the applause of Eurocrats in Davos, Switzerland.
Speaker 1: Thank you, Because at that meeting with Jijenping, he said, we're entering into an alliance. And I thought, oh, the Whiggers will love that. And I thought, Jimmy laies in a prison cell, and I thought, to what, Taiwan is being threatened every day, and that Hong Kong has been crushed. And he talks in this speech about the hedgemon. It's clearly China enough that I don't really really know how to absorb this other than he is of the It's like Jacob Fry with submarines. He's of the banking class, and the banking class likes China because they do a lot of business with China. Am I two hearts.
Speaker 2: Well, you're right about the banking class and the financial elite. But I think there's another thing at work here, Hugh, and that is domestic Canadian politics.
Speaker 1: Not true.
Speaker 2: You know, the thing about nationalism is every nation has it, and so we have American nationalism through President Trump, but sometime he's awaken nationalism in India and in China traditionally allies of ours, and so Carney was playing through a domestic audience as well, and I can report it's way he liked it.
Speaker 1: When we come back, I'm talking with Matt during the break about the new superstar of American of repartee, Scott Fassen. And then when we turn back on the other day, Jack Trump Wiltennet, I'm back with Matt Connetty to play from at two pieces of Scott Bessant and Davos if you may have missed it. First of all, here's Scott Bessant talking about Gavin Newsom and Davos on Tuesday cut number eleven. I think it's very, very.
Speaker 4: Ironic that you know Governor Newsom, who strikes me as Patrick Bateman Sparkle beach Ken maybe the only California.
Speaker 1: Enough good enough. And then cut number eight.
Speaker 3: We've seen the.
Speaker 4: Lack of energy security from this manic push for net zero, which I think we've seen in some recent scientific journals, has been pushed back. Even Bill Gates is saying the one degree, two degrees, three degrees.
Speaker 3: I'm not sure it matters.
Speaker 4: If you look at what he's doing with his own money, it looks like he believes we're going to innovate our way out of any perceived climate problem.
Speaker 3: So I think that's on one side. And then again I think this.
Speaker 4: I think we almost reached a Saturday Night Live moment a few years ago when it was you're not going to own anything, You're going to eat insects.
Speaker 3: I mean it was just the inmates were running the asylum at that well.
Speaker 4: I can tell you, after a few days of Swiss German food, I may switch to bugs.
Speaker 1: Got Eddy who knew that gott Besson was going to be up there with Marco Rubio for verbal dexterity?
Speaker 5: Yes, you know, Q.
Speaker 2: As soon as we finished last week's interview where we were talking about some of the great communicators in Donald Trump's cabinet, I slapped my forehead and said I left out Scott Besson and sure enough, he showed why he's one of the more effective communicators in this The other thing about Besson is he established a profile in financial markets long before the Trump era began, and like Donald Trump, he was a politically independent character. Right, but he has I think seen the light through the Biden Harris years and the Obama years, but the dangers of government regulation, high taxes, spending, all of the different energy regulations that limit growth. And so he's become a warrior for markets and for the Trump agenda, and he's entertaining. I mean that line about Newsom was extremely cutting, to the point where I think it left Governor Newsom speechless for a moment, which is a rare occurrence.
Speaker 1: Indeed, it's going to leave on Mark sparkle Ken is going to leave on Mark Matt Continey. We've talked about Joseph Epstein before, the soul of wit and written word. How do you know when you when you have wit? Because obviously Scott Besson has wit. We got we got a minute. What is wit?
Speaker 5: You know?
Speaker 2: It's a quickness, it's the comeback. It's being able to turn a phrase on a dime in response to something somebody has said or something that occurs. Joseph Epstein has, Scott Besen has it. Of course, in my view, the founder of American Conservatism, William F. Buckley grow is the exemplar of wit because he was able to come up with a one liner really just at the drop of a hat.
Speaker 1: It's a superpower. Trump, by the way, recognizes wit, but he doesn't practice it very often. He can get off a good one liner once in a while, but he recognizes it always as a good entertainer. Next Jack Smith, after the break, stay tuned, Welcome back to and you do it? Maat Cottonetty is with me, of course. Matt is with the Wall Street Journal, way right a column. He's also head of Domestic policy Studies at the American Enterprise Institute and our special envoy to Canada. Uh Matt last night. You know, Britt Brett Behar is so good at what he does with the panel. He realizes when he has to stretch the moment because smoke is coming out of someone's ears. I had a Democrat on who said Jack Smith did great yesterday and it was wonderful, and he showed him up. And then Brett turned to me and said, Hugh cut number three. Hugh final word, oh oh he I think Jack Smith effectively killed the appointment of special prosecutors. Today, I think Eileen Cannon's decision that she ruled his appointment on constitutional has been validated. He did not give answers, he gave evasions, and I believe that that will go down as one of the worst appearances before Congressional history, the other that I can actually remember in real time. So there was a differenceive opinion on the panel. What did you think of Jack Smith before the House Judiciary or Oversight Committee.
Speaker 2: I think it showed that he was the wrong man for the job. He wasn't prepared for these questions, and there are real questions. I mean, there are questions about his approach to the First Amendment and whether Trump's actions surrounding January sixth are exercise as a free speech, which I think there were. He showed lack of judgment on immunity, taking the case all the way to the Supreme Court and losing it. There are questions about the speech and debate clause, which I think representative guilt really got into when describing the way in which they pursued under arctic frosts. The communications of senior congressional leaders, including describing former Speaker Kevin McCarthy.
Speaker 3: As a potential flight risk.
Speaker 2: Now there's one thing I know about Kevin McCarthy.
Speaker 5: He's not a flight risk.
Speaker 1: No, he's not a flight risk.
Speaker 2: And then you know, you think about you think about Smith's resume and his case against Bob McDonnell, which was then thrown out by the Supreme Court. So you have here a kind of a pattern on the part of Jack Smith. And he is a relentless prosecutor. But I think one who is so determined to indict that he is ready to kind of walk all over the Constitution in the process.
Speaker 1: I keep referencing Javert from Lea Mease, and I wonder my question is did Merrick Garland know that and want that, or did he make a mistake. I know that Eileen Cannon's opinion needs to be revisited by everyone. She held his appointment is unconstitutional because he had never been confirmed as a prosecutor, for example, as the US Attorney would be and the prosecutory power. Robert Jackson wrote a very great I gave a great speech actually a Department of Justice to prosecutors about how dangerous it is to be a state prosecutor. He had to be careful. Do you think Garland knew what he was getting or just screwed up?
Speaker 2: He must have known. I mean, Merrick Garland has been around Washington, d C. For a very long time. He knows about Jack Smith, and he knows about his relationships with Komee and Fitzgerald and that whole crew. So I think he had a sense of what was going to happen, and it backfired. And we know that primary reason Donald Trump as president today, not just the total collapse of the Biden administration, not just Donald Trump's own extraordinary resilience and talent, But it's because of the Lawfair. It's because of the Lawfair that was spearheaded by Jack Smith. So I think this is a moment where we need to look in the mirror. But you know, Hugh, I was hoping you'd ask me about the Oscar picks, well, like you've been asking people about then Oscar nominee.
Speaker 3: I asked, if there's my chance.
Speaker 6: To weigh in, Well, there are ten of them. Did you see any of the ten out now? I've only seen one of the ten, and that's f one me too. I did not see in the theater and I thoroughly enjoyed.
Speaker 2: So as soon as you said that earlier this week, I said, Okay, I'm rooting for f one to win the Picture of the Year now.
Speaker 1: But I want to ask you about the most important question in the world, and it really is should Donald Trump hit Iran harder than it's ever been hit? As he pledged in me, if they would kill people? And do you think he will?
Speaker 3: He needs to take action. You know, he drew a line there. He has called for new leadership.
Speaker 2: He has sent this signal of force by sending the aircraft carrier group back into the region, and he's told the Iranian people that help is on the way.
Speaker 3: So action needs to be taken.
Speaker 2: You know, they've stepped up sanctions, they've stepped up the maximum pressure. But I do think that a strike directed at kind of the pillars of the regime security state, in particular the Basiji militias and the IRGC, which has caused so much havoc in the region and killed Americans, would be completely justified, and it would back up President Trump's credibility, and it would extend America's deterrence, and it would help the Iranian people who clearly believe that this government is illegitimate and should fall.
Speaker 1: Now there's a question which requires a little bit of prophecy. Barack Obama will never escape erasing the red Line. Joe Biden will never escape the collapse in Afghanistan. Donald Trump has already done the world a great thing by obliterating a nuclear program and by grabbing Maduro. But we're walking back from the threat of force. Here be a lasting mark on his legacy. As the historians assessed the Trump presidency.
Speaker 2: I think Trump's goal should be that there are new governments in Venezuela, Iran, and Cuba by the time he leaves office. And what a blow for freedom it would be if that was the case. He's removed Maduro from Venezuela and he is working with the regime now, but clearly there will be pressure as there should be, to transition to democracy in Venezuela. He has made this pledge to the people of Iran. He has done more to weaken in Iran in working with of course Benjamin and Yahoo in Israel, than any other American president.
Speaker 3: And now we have news that.
Speaker 2: He's going to really ramp up the pressure on Cuba, which is you know, in kind of the final end state the communist government there. So I think on all three fronts, he should continue the strategy he's been pursuing, with the ultimate goal of visiting free capitals in all three nations when he leaves office or shortly thereafter.
Speaker 1: And one minute Matt In March of twenty eighty three, Ronald Reagan gave an SDI speech which was mocked, I mean really mocked, mercilessly mocked as Star Wars and Israel had the Iron dram as a result. Do you think the Greenland gambit for Golden Dome will look forty years from now like a very smart move or will not be remembered.
Speaker 2: No, I will be a smart move. I mean, greenland strategic importance is clear. It's obvious to everybody. It's obvious to Russia and China. That's why Trump has made this play for it now. I think he rattled a lot of cages when he wouldn't rule out the use of force, and that's why it was important this week that he said he would not use force to take Greenland. But it's certainly the case that America needs to increase our presence there and we need to build missile defenses in order to protect our nation from nuclear armed superpowers.
Speaker 1: Always good to talk with you, Matt Continetty. Follow Matt Continetty read him in the Wall Street Journal on exit just at Cottonady, and we'll get the latest update from our special envoys from Canada next week. Don't go anywhere America. I stay tuned.
Speaker 5: It is in Hewig show.
Speaker 1: Oh, Ben Dominis did come just in time for me to announce Mark Kearney, Ben, how are you?
Speaker 5: I I'm doing well. I apologize. Megan woke up, so she now has the baby.
Speaker 1: Oh that's okay. Young fathers don't have to ever apologize for any And.
Speaker 5: There was no way I tried. I tried, I could not.
Speaker 1: If you had better get to the store before the snow comes, because I have.
Speaker 5: I have spent approximately seven thousand dollars good good, good good orders in the last Yeah.
Speaker 1: Don't show, it doesn't matter. Don't hurt your back. You've got the baby.
Speaker 5: Oh no, no, I have two different kinds of ice melting assault. So I'm good.
Speaker 1: I want to focus on Mark Kearney. Did you listen to his speech at Davos?
Speaker 5: Not only did I listen to it, I let off with it on the Big Ben Show. I know it and I found I found it refreshingly honest. I don't know what your opinion of Oh.
Speaker 1: I hated it. I think he's cowardly and hypocritical. So well we have a difference of opinion.
Speaker 5: Yeah, no, that's okay. What I also thought, though, is that this is not something that he's going to bye by in any real way. It's not something that he truly in on a on a Hypocritical is a good word for him, because this is something that I think a smart person recognizes, but then he takes the wrong lesson from it, meaning that I think that this, this whole you know, admission that like, oh we were actually just depending on the Americans all along, is honest and is refreshing. I think that the next step though, of saying well, because of that, you know, I mean, the implication is basically we need to expand the nuclear umbrellas. I mean it just if you take it to the end game of this you know too, And I think that that's something that is going to be terrible for Europe and for global stability, and you're going to have well, they're not going to.
Speaker 1: Do it though, Ben, this was fact. This is fact free posturing. I don't think so. Because they've got forty two million people, their GDP is two point four trillion dollars. They're spending a grand total of eighty two million dollars over the next five years to get to two percent. He said in the course of this speak, I've got submarines.
Speaker 7: You know.
Speaker 1: He got four submarines. Four Yes, one was built in twenty fifteen, the other three were built in two thousand and three, in two thousand. He's got no. Sixty eight thousand active duty troops, twenty seven thousand reserve. He's not Finland.
Speaker 5: By the way. The funniest thing about the Greenland deployment that I said to a friend of mine, and that friend with Lucas Tomlinson, by the way, it was I was like, oh, so that's what fifty percent of their force. Yeah, they're venting the Greenland.
Speaker 1: But what really, what really gets my goat is when he talks about the Hedgemonds, like we're the same thing, all right. He can sell oil to China because we protect freedom of the seas. If there isn't freedom of the season, China's not buying. He can only sell his oil to us, don't.
Speaker 5: You think, But don't you think it's useful to at least have someone get up on that stage who isn't Donald Trump and say we cannot continue this fiction that we are all living in. This this the system of a rules based international order where you know, we are all, you know, sort of existing underneath some type of inner national law and agreement. We're all sort of in the room together, kumbaya.
Speaker 1: There are two ways to say it. The way you just said it, or the way and by the way. The reason we aren't is because China got into the WTO and cheated. They steal intellectual property, they do dumping, they don't care about the environment, they use dirty coal, and they've imprisoned a million week.
Speaker 5: Nineties China policy just like the worst things, like the biggest mistake that we made and will and I will say we because I was totally I mean, I mean so is I. I was in favor of it, and I thought I thought this was the way to go, you know, bring them in. You know, have have have most favorite nation status, have to have you know, trade have that you know, be something that increases alliances with the West, and instead it's about exporting their values and not importing ours.
Speaker 1: And that just you know, you're going to read a book to your little boy one day called Willie the Wimp, because every little four year old loves it. Have you have you seen it? It's a gorilla analy and chimpanzee and and Willy the whimp, and the chimpanzee is his giant chimpanzee, and the giant chimpanzee takes care of the little monkey. And that's what we are. We're the giant gorilla and they are the little monkey. And I'm glad that they're a nice little monkey.
Speaker 3: I like them.
Speaker 1: But you don't go around with a bunch of bankers. And you know, he's the only guy that got a standing ovation at Davos. He got a standing ovation.
Speaker 5: Look, I think I think that one of the things that is so funny about Davos is that it's it's just everything is posturing and behind the scenes, they're all going to the same you know, things together and they're all i mean, Gavin Newsome met with Donald Trump apparently, you know, like it's it's one of these things where you know, it's just so deeply corrupt and one of the things that I do appreciate about this particular moment as it relates to the Greenland situation, is that the President's approach of foreign policy, I think has been vindicated so many times that now he thinks he can just like he can hit that number on Roulette every single time, I can get it every single time, you know, And and I'm not sure he's going to get it everything.
Speaker 1: Wall You know, I followed Lucas on Special Report last night. He's on Greenland, and I think we had a breakthrough this week because now everyone agrees Greenland is necessary for Golden Dum and it's just the details.
Speaker 5: That's the break's details. And the breakthrough too is that, as I have argued, as my friend Josh Raphino has argued in multiple essays, including a Wall Street Journal, there is a sovereignty solution here that is right in front of you, and it just, you know, basically requires that that type of movement in our direction. It does not require an invasion, it does not require us to spend an enormous amount of money buying it, but it requires America to have a sovereign footprint there that is in our security interest, both long term and right now. And I think that that's something that everyone has come around to because it's just impossible to deny. Yeah, and you know that's that's something that to your point, Trump sort of forces people into admitting the truth that they don't want.
Speaker 1: To unless they can go to a place in posture like Carney did. I'm going to come right back with Ben during the break because we've got to talk about the Big Ben podcast this week and about his expert from UVA on cell phones. If you haven't listened to it, Big Ben Podcast on the Fox Podcast Network. He's editor at Large at The Spectator. His sub stack is the Transom. But this is a great podcast with Tricia McLachlan basically doing what JD Vance did in Minneapolis yesterday. But the expert from the University of Virginia. I'll talk with him and if he can stick around. After the break, we'll kick around Jack Smith some more. Don't go anywhere. I'm Hugh Hewett. I'm back with Ben Dominic. Ben. I listened to the Big Ben podcast today and it was fabulous. I like Trician McLachlan, but that was I basically did jd speech yesterday. So I want to focus on your UVA professor and his guidance on phones because just simply dumb phones still high school and no phones in the bedroom. That's all parents need to know, isn't it.
Speaker 5: I think this thing is really a lot more simple than people seem to be making it. Like there's been, you know, this whole public conversation around it. You know, the work that Jonathan Height has done, and everyone else who's who's kind of you know, I don't know, they just they've developed a whole conversation within the space. I think it's that simple, isn't it, Hugh? I mean it's And I realized I may sound like completely out of touch on this or or as if I'm some you know, throwback stoic, but you know, the question that I really have for him is why can't you just delete the apps? Why can't you just get rid of him?
Speaker 1: Well, he went further when he said, no cell phones at night in the bedroom because they lose sleep, and of course the boys are looking for body pictures. And number two in school, computers are overrated. That we learn by doing things.
Speaker 5: And I said, hallelujah that that point is actually the more critical point from my perspective. So first off the no phones in the in the in the room. To me, that's the same as no TVs in the room. But you don't, you don't, you don't. You shouldn't be allowing that. I mean, come on, it's a distraction. It's bad, it's and it's bad for you, by the way, as an adult too. It's not just bads so but my other, my other, I actually think that TVs should be you should have a central location or whatever for it. But but it should be something that you intentionally do. It should not be constant background or noise or what have you. But when it comes to the school part of this, Hugh, we are in constant fights about this. And and I will say this as as someone who sends, uh, you know, my kids to some pretty top slight expensive schools. Don't be no offense to any listener, but like I mean, I think they're a little too pricey because I was home school all the way. But anyway, the point is that is a point of contention among everyone. It's not just the public schoolers, it's it's the private schoolers too. And the schools are constant pushing you to do more screens, to say like, oh no, you I mean just this this snowstorm, you know coming up, you know here, the school sends out something about, you know, make sure to you know, have your kid take the iPad home, and they want to, they need, you know, we need to be able to zoom in for class. And it's like, no, we're not going to do that.
Speaker 1: We're not going to do that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we're just not going to do that because that's not the way that people learn.
Speaker 1: But I was glad to hear you say, is that it's become a source of a program. If you are in a restaurant and you give the kid the phone, because it is I always I cast an I cast a glance like that thirty seconds Ben. How often do you get that look?
Speaker 5: Uh?
Speaker 3: For? For me? Uh?
Speaker 5: I have quite honestly, I have never opened my phone and shown my kids of the restaurants. Never I will. I will say that I've been at table where other people have done that and my kids have watched, and I have not objected. But I have never done that with my phone, and I don't never intend to, because I think that is an admission of failure.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but I do believe that they are permissible on long car rides and airplanes.
Speaker 5: Lights. That's fine, it's a long time rights and airplanes. Maybe it's the same thing that everybody else is doing, you know, so I don't have a problem with that. You can bring a certain amount of games and entertainment, but eventually they're going to move from the plate out to just need to watch those things.
Speaker 1: Coming back with Ben on Jack Smith, don't go anywhere. I am back with Ben Dominich, host of the Big Ben podcast on the Fox Podcast Network. You can read him in the Spectator, you can read his substack at the Transom, and you can follow him on x at b Dominich. Ben, I want to give you four uninterrupted moments for your comments on Jack Smith and what we take away from this, because I've already said my piece three or four times.
Speaker 5: Well, first off, I'll just say I don't I'm not sure that I have seen a person who has occupied a role as important as Jack Smith be in a position in front of a congressional hearing where he was more where anyone that I know of, was more dismissive, disrespectful, and you know, quite frankly full of hubris about everything that he did in his role. Ever in front of the Congress, and keep in mind, we've seen Anthony Fauci justified. I mean, this is this is this is quite you know, as a sort of you know, one one to achieve. And so I think that jack Smith, you know, came in and did himself no favors because there was no humility on his part, especially when it came to the issues related to grabbing the phone records of members of Congress and the records of all these different citizens across the country. I hope that you have seen, maybe you played it that the audio of Chip Roy talking to him about this, But the idea that you could just seize and go after all of these things years after the fact, by the way, and not in four members of Congress, that you're just going to be snarfing up their phone records, it's I mean, that's subscene.
Speaker 1: You can't just Jackson, when he was Attorney General, gave a very famous speech about the power of the prosecutor and why you've got to be very careful. He went rogue, he went javert, and I think Eileen Cannon's ruling that his appointment was unconstitutional bears up very well because he had never you can appoint a US attorney to be a special counsel. And that's fine. They've got the right temperament, the right judgment. They've passed through Senate confirmation. This guy is a fanatic and.
Speaker 5: Therefore it's obscene. I mean, it's you say, when Javert, Javert had the honor to jump off the bridge.
Speaker 1: So I don't want him doing that. I just wanted to go away, just to be clear.
Speaker 5: But I'm just saying there was a moment of clarity for him. This is this is a guy who just really thinks that he did everything right that you know, he just you know, helps one of Chips questions to him and it was just you know, you you know, there's just and Kevin KYLEI asked it in a slightly different way, but it's one of these things where this you you come in front of Congress after something as botched as this, and you don't at least have a humility to admit maybe we overreached in certain areas, maybe we should have done some things differently. You know, we were trying to do this in a responsible way, and instead we gave a reflection of it as a partisan investigation. There was none of that.
Speaker 1: So the key question is did Merrick Garland get what he wanted or did he just get punked by someone making a recommendation.
Speaker 5: You know, that is a big question and I don't know the answer to it. I would incline more towards the latter, but that's only because I think I think Garland is not particularly bright, because he kind of half was right. Yeah, yeah, I just that is my impression of him, based on limited interaction. But I think that that is not I don't. I think he got jobbed in this right.
Speaker 1: Last question, of the ten movies nominated for Best Picture, how many of them have you seen?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 5: I've seen about half of them.
Speaker 1: Oh you are You're the outlier.
Speaker 5: You're the sixth person, Hugh, I have, Hugh, I have seen. I saw twenty seven movies last year, and of the nine were kids movies. Okay, And the best movie of the that I saw last year in theaters was f One whichever.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well that's the only other one that anyone's seen, and I agree it was it was great. But you actually saw Sinner?
Speaker 5: Yes, No, I mean I liked it. It was good.
Speaker 1: You're the only one.
Speaker 3: Okay, great movie.
Speaker 1: We're not going here for movie recommendations anytime soon.
Speaker 5: Well look, look, look, I will I will tell you the movie that I saw that I enjoyed the most last year was Weapons, And I also really liked Eddington, which everyone hated, but everyone me and John Fedortz.
Speaker 1: At least you've seen them though.
Speaker 5: At least Ben, I think it's good to go back to movies.
Speaker 3: Be dominants.
Speaker 1: Thank you, my friend, Jonathan Williams, tax economist at alex American Legislative Exchange Company. Welcome back in America. I'm Hugh Hewittt on the weekend broadcast. Eli Lake joins us. He is, of course the host of the Breaking History podcast, a contributor to the Free Press, an expert on Iran. Eli in the Davos love in among bankers, did anyone have the guts to stand up and say, Iran just mowed down fifteen thousand of their people and imprison the same number and is the evilest regime on the planet.
Speaker 8: It's a really good question. I don't think anybody kind of put it like that, and I think that's exactly how we should think about it. But that said, this is the end of the Obama delusion. I have not heard from European capitals that there is a sense or an expectation that there will be new negotiations with Iran over you know, whatever remains of its nuclear program, and eventually we will knit Iran into the global order by investing in that country as long as that regime stays in power. I think at this point, I hope it the regime collapses tomorrow, but even if it doesn't, I just don't think that we're going to get back to what we lived through ten years ago, which was the idea that there would be major corporations investing in Iran. The sanctions were lifted as Iran built up this proxy network throughout the region and continued to have the nuclear option.
Speaker 1: They did not invite. They ended up disinviting the Foreign Ministry of Iran. That's but they have not designated the IRGC is a terrorist organization at the EU, which is a bad move. The most important question in the world right now, and I think by a lot, I've been on a Canada rant already today because the Mark Carney disgusting address or so cowardly in two faced, But the most important question remains, should Donald Trump hit Iran hard? And Willie what do you think Eli like, I.
Speaker 8: Think he absolutely should. I don't see how I mean, listen, nobody can bring to what's going on with Donald Trump. His messaging has been pretty consistent, and I think he tried to kind of create his own way out by saying that they had they had canceled the execution of I think he has a very specific number eight hundred and thirty seven people in the hangings, which he's talked about. We saw today that one of the senior kind of judges in Iran said that is not true and that they would be going forward with the executions. Of course, the death toll is horrific. I think at the very least it's four or five thousand, and it could be upwards of twenty five thousand or more. They've turned off the internet precisely for this reason, so you know, I hope that this is the kind of final straw. And then more importantly, the response from Iran's leaders up into and including Ayatola Ali Khamene has been effectively to taunt Trump, yes to question his resolve. That that didn't go very well for Nicholas Medoro, it didn't go very well for Costum Soulamani and I think that they in some ways in that respect, they are sealing their fate.
Speaker 3: My wary is though that.
Speaker 8: I would have liked to have seen something, and I understand military assets have to be in place. I also understand that, according to a lot of reporting, and I've heard this too in my reporting, that Trump really does want a comprehensive military option and to go big. So that maybe takes time, but it would have been good to have something two weeks ago, a week and a half ago, when he said help was on the way, because I think the perception is is that there was at least a chance that Trump would back off and would seek some kind of deal. I don't think that's going to happen. Let me go all sophocles on you. You cannot know how good the day has been until the night has come. And with Donald Trump, the whole Greenland thing, even actor the whole Greenland thing might have been a way to divert attention away from this. But I did have a very smart national security fellow of impeccable credential say we can't hit carg Island and the oil terminals, which is what seems obvious to me to's keeping the regime alive because that would possibly bring China in to rebuild it and to embed within Iran.
Speaker 1: What do you think of that?
Speaker 8: There's a lot of reasons maybe why you don't hit carg Island. You could also cause an oil shock that would do terrible things to the price of energy, which has been relatively stable and low, and that would have an effect in terms of inflation. So Trump's got to consider that. I think he would have an enormous effect if he just decided to hit the headquarters in regional headquarters for the IRGC, that's the Revolutionary Guard core and the besieging militia and then target started similar to what Israel did, start targeting senior regime officials up to and including Io La Kamine. You have a number of voices from Iran's opposition, not just on the outside, that are begging the America to hit the supreme leader. What else is there left to talk about at this point? So there are a lot of targets in Iran short of carg Island.
Speaker 1: Like carg Island is all that money goes to the IERGC. Canada is ramping up it's export of oil. It's at sixty dollars a barrel. Seventy dollars a barrel is not that big of a deal, and it can be we can overproduce. We are just about to hit full American production. But Eli, before I go, I got to ask you the Carnie speech and many of the other Europeans seem to take for granted that the United States will always protect them no matter what they say about us. It's a little bit of what Israel must have to deal with on a daily basis, that they are really the lynchpin to security in the Middle East, but they get dumped on by everyone and it's not pleasant.
Speaker 8: I would say this, it's empty rhetoric. Canada and Europe do not have the military, do not have the means to protect themselves. That is by our design, and there are good reasons for that. So I wanted to say, I don't want to give Trump a total path. I think that some of the things that he said were outrageous, and the way that he went about the Greenland thing, I think can have but it's not the end of the world, because there is no alternative right now to the alliance with America. I mean the meeting with g and the I'm sorry not even g like the senior Chinese official and the statement that you know things are going in different direction is absurd and Carney ought to know better. The idea that Canada is going to pursue the kind of relationship it has with China over the United States even under Trump, and I get you know why he's nervous about things, but don't make threats. Don't use that rhetoric because it's just not realistic. It's not in the cards.
Speaker 1: But they're going to sell a lot of oil to China, which is fine because we have freedom of the seas guaranteed by the United States Navy YEP. And if that ends, they can only sell it to US, and they only. They don't even spend two percent of their GDP on defense. Eli he talked about his submarine. I have four submarines, the most recent one which was built in twenty fifteen.
Speaker 8: Listen, I agree, and that some of this is exposing things. I mean, listen, some of what Trump is saying is I disagree with a lot of it is true. When we were fighting in Iraq and Afghanistan. Yes, it's true when they say the British did fight, especially on the special operations side, absolutely valiance and.
Speaker 1: The Canadians lost one hundred and fifty eight people and also true.
Speaker 8: But I'm just saying the Italians and the Germans, we couldn't trust them to secure areas. They didn't they There are cultural issues there that are really deep. It's not just about spending more of your GDP. There's not the kind of military culture that we have in America right now. So those are deep things that our generations are going to be playing out over a generation. But like, let's let's be realistic. There is no alternative to American power. Europeans, Canada and they know that, no matter.
Speaker 1: How many times ago to Davos. I'm in the Killed Davos Forever club. But what do you think they like? Thirty seconds?
Speaker 8: I agree with Davos is a is a debating society of the plutocratic.
Speaker 1: Self pleasuring of the banking class. And I'm sick of it. Thank you, Eli Lake. Follow him on ex at Eli Lake. I'll be right back. America, stay tuned, Good morning, Glory and even grace America, Bones or High Canada. The weekend broadcast is underway, as it usually is, with John Ellis, founder and editor in chief of News Items which you can find by googling John Ellison news items. It's the only newsletter you really need in the morning. And the way John and I usually work Fridays is that John will send me a list of topics he thinks we got to cover, and I'll get smart about them, and then we'll talk about them only today great minds thinking. Like John's second item, which I bumped up to number one, is Canada. Oh Canada, John, I'm so glad you brought this up because I listened to Mark Carney's speech at Davos, which got a standing ovation. Moderator said, that's very rare at Davos, and it's because he's a banker talking to bankers, and it was really quietly but thoroughly anti American. Have you had a chance to listen to that speech yet? I have, I have not I read it, but good night. Listen to him. What did you think about the Well, let me let me give you the main clip, which is cut number five.
Speaker 3: Altilateral institutions on which the Middle powers have relied and the question for middle powers like Canada argue the middle powers must act together because if we're not at the table, we're on the menu. Middle powers do not. What does it mean for middle powers to live the truth when middle powers criticize economic intimidation? For this is the task of the middle power, all right, So.
Speaker 1: You get it, John, He's a middle Canada's a middle power between hegemons and I guess we're on the same scale with China. He mentioned the hedgemons. I'm insulted by this. He just got back from China, that genocide of the Wigers. Uh, Jimmy Lyon in prison, Taiwan, threatened, Hong Kong crushed, and he's lecturing us because of you don't like Donald Trump?
Speaker 9: Well, I mean I think that he You know, Carney came to power because of Donald Trump. The Conservative Party in Canada was leading the elections, the national elections leading up to election day by twenty five points. And then Trump was inaugurated and there was talking of a next in Canada, and the tariffs were announced on Canadian products and Carney vaulted to victory as a result. And so he replayed this card at Dovos and made himself something of a hero amongst what he calls the middle powers.
Speaker 1: Well, he made himself something of a paria to me. A couple other things, he said, one of my favorites, absolutely, my favorite cut number six.
Speaker 3: Our commitment to NATO's Article five is unwavering. So we're working with our NATO allies, including the Nordic Vault Gate, to further secure the Alliance's northern and western flanks, including through Canada's unprecedented investments in over the horizon radar, in submarines, in aircraft.
Speaker 1: All right, boots on the John. I looked it up. They have four submarines, the most recent one of which was commissioned in twenty thirteen. The other three or two thousand and three and two thousand and one. They spend less than two percent of their GDP on defense. They'll get to two percent by twenty thirty. Compared with Poland and Finland, which are at three point seven and four point seven percent GDP. They do not carry their weight and the reason that their energy superpower, another claim is because of the freedom of the seas that we guarantee. Is it too much for Americans? I'm a multi later, I'm an Internet. I love NATO, but this is poking me in the eye, and I imagine it's got to make Trump really crazy.
Speaker 9: Well, I think it makes Trump incredibly crazy, which of course is to Carney's at least short term benefit.
Speaker 3: But all the points you make are certainly valid.
Speaker 9: I mean, Canada, everybody, all of the so called Western countries benefit from the US umbrella, if you want to call it that. And so if you're going to be critical of the US, I think you also have an obligation to be appreciative of all of the advantages that you get from being aligned with US.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's all I would The thing that gets me the most in life, and I guess in international affairs is in gratitude. And Canada is not a middle power. It is an NX to the United States that's sovereign, but depends upon it. Let's go to your other pieces, because they make me happier. Let's talk about will Go VI and pilled form because this is a giant breakthrough from Erica and the world's health.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 9: I think everybody's familiar with the weight loss drug wigov and the other ones. But the problem has been that you had to get will go BE as an injectable, right so you and as a result, it's much more expensive to manufacture. You have to put it in the refrigerator when you get it, you know, all that stuff. It's now been approved in pill form. And although the price at the moment is the same, inevitably and invariably the price of the pill will come down because the cost of manufacturing the pill is much much less than doing the injectable. So we're going to have much wider distribution, much wider use of wagov And as a result, we're going to have different menus, you know, reduced calorie menus at restaurants, We're going to have reduced purchases at grocery stores. And my favorite piece was that the major airlines now projected because people will be weighing less, they'll save eight five hundred and eighty million dollars this year on fuel costs.
Speaker 1: All right, I think about the number of passengers who don't sit next to the plus sized passenger that's sort of in their seat. But do you think the United States ought to be encouraging people who are morbidly obey certainly, but even those they are packing fifty or more pounds or thirty or more pounds to go investigate this, that it's good for them. I think I think it.
Speaker 9: I mean, you know, efficacy and safety obviously are the big concerns, but those concerns have been at least gotten the approval of the FDA. And you know, if you have high blood pressure, if you have diabetes, and if you're either obese or morbidly obese, this is a game changer. And it means for the you know, for taxpayers, it means less cost of you know, on Medicare and all sorts of government sponsored medical medical programs, healthcare programs. So it's it's a win in every which direction, except that it will have a major impact on the food business and worldwide, the food businesses employees fifty percent of the world's population. I'm not saying that fifty percent grow carrots or whatever, but if you think about food and the growing of it, the fertilizing of it, the machinery to get it, you know, out of the ground and blah blah blah all the way to restaurants and waiters and bus boys and so on and so forth, that is fifty percent of the working the workforce of the world that remond So if you if you have an impact, even a slight impact on all those restaurants and all those grocery stores and all the farmers who have decided to grow different crops. The impact is enormous and we're just at the outset of it.
Speaker 1: Well, because of my rant about Canada, we're running a little on time. And they're two very important pieces from news items that you sent me. Gen xers and millennials are set to inherit four point six trillion dollars from their elders, and open Ai maybe flaming out in either order that you want to do. That last one was kind of a sock in the eye for people who are invested in AI. Yeah, I mean, the open Ai story is that.
Speaker 9: Open ai is spending vast amounts of money and taking in not very much revenue, and the question is whether that's sustainable. Where there will there be in twenty twenty seven, twenty eight, twenty twenty nine enough revenue to justify the investments that they're making now in data centers, so on and so forth. There's a guy named Sebastian Mallaby wrote a book about venture capital and AI, and he wrote an influential piece, I think in the Journal or The Times that said, basically, I think open ay is going to run out of money.
Speaker 3: So that's a big question.
Speaker 1: But the millennials are not going to run out of money. Well, this is the thing.
Speaker 9: Okay, we got the whole the I mean, there's nothing more annoying than the affordability issue when it's raised by gen xers and millennials. Okay, because they're coming into four point six trillion dollars, is that right? Four points six yea, yeah, four point six trillion dollars, okay, inheriting the most any generation ever in the history of that kindness. And all they're talking about is the price of, you know, going out to dinner. I mean, come on, giving a lot of money here.
Speaker 1: It's a massive wealth transfer over the next ten years, and two point or trillion of that is in property in the United States, so they'll get a stepped up basis. That's the amazing thing. The tax part to this that makes it an incredible windfall. But John ellis a great bit of news items today. I want to remind everyone Google news items and John Ellis it's the best newsletter. I read it every morning. I usually post one or two of the fifteen to thirty different bits of news that John finds by staying up all night and sleeping during the day. And I'm so glad you found the Canada thing. Thank you, John Dom, Welcome back America. I'm Hugh Hewett. Jonathan Williams is the chief executive officer of the American Legislative Exchange Council. He's also great economists. He puts together the Rich States, Poor States book every year, Rich Statespoorstates dot Com. And I got to tell you right now, I got the longer segment for John because we've got to talk about the good, the bad, and the ugly, and that means state taxes. John First, Happy New Year to Jonathan Williams.
Speaker 10: Well, likewise, my friend, it's good to see you again.
Speaker 1: Good to see you, and I hope you've got your snowshovel out. Are you ready?
Speaker 11: Oh yeah, you know DC they freak out here with about an inch of snow. So this is going to be real this weekend. It's looking like now.
Speaker 1: It's unfortunate that we've got a new governor. And now I'm Abagail Spanberger as well, and I want to go right to the fact and the first story I read about her, the very first story, is that there's a bill to put a death tax in Virginia. Hasn't everyone learned that people leave your state when you put a death tax in place, well.
Speaker 10: You would think, I mean, this is pretty common sense stuff, Hugh.
Speaker 11: I mean, we've had states all across the country looking at ways to get rid of their death taxes.
Speaker 10: Even in places like New Jersey. When Chris Christie was governor.
Speaker 11: As part of his deal he struck with the Democrat legislature, they begin to repeal some of their death tax that's on the book. So if even New Jersey is looking to part of their death tax, it's really a head scratcher that you have the left wing Democrats now in charge in Richmond looking to put one into place.
Speaker 1: And that's not it.
Speaker 11: As you probably saw on there are long laundry list of tax increases and bad ideas such as repealing right to work, and you can go down the line.
Speaker 10: I mean, but this is pretty concerning you.
Speaker 11: And I watched that race very closely with Winston Sears and Abigail Spamberger, and Abigail Spamberger ran all of her ads anyways, came across as a moderate Democrat that I'm.
Speaker 10: Going to do the sensible thing. I'm a common sense person, and here we are. We'll see how long that lasts. Unfortunately, I don't think it's going to be long.
Speaker 1: Turns out, Mom, Donnie in address, let's talk about the taxes there. There are a lot of states that are going to go off the good tax pass and there are a lot they're going to do good thing. Let's run through them. What else do they want to raise taxes on besides people dying in Virginia.
Speaker 10: Well, I mean you name it, right, I mean, it's the old Reagan line.
Speaker 11: If it moves tax, if it keeps moving regulated, if it stops moving subs. That's unfortunately what we're going to see in Virginia this session. And that's a high income earners tax. I mean they're looking to rival California with high income earner taxes. And so, whether that's that, it's hotel taxes, it's taxes on private clubs, you get on the list, and it is literally any idea you have on tax policy, on raising taxes, they're probably going to pursue it this year.
Speaker 1: In Richmond, Now, I saw taxes on firearms. Now I think if that's a standalone bill, it's going to be unconstitutional. Is it a standalone bill or is it a general sales tax?
Speaker 11: Well, I think I've seen it as a as a standalone, but I think it's very possible it gets looped together and as part of a budget as well. And you know, there's lots of ways that this can emerge as we go during session here. But what's really interesting here, Hugh, is that you know, if I'm in North Carolina right now, or if I'm in Tennessee on the other side of the Bristol line, and if I'm in West Virginia, I mean, this is economic development opportunity one oh one to attract Virginia of businesses.
Speaker 10: And it's as painful as it is as.
Speaker 11: A Virginia resident to say that these are huge opportunities for those states to continue to make gains. Their states are already way ahead of Virginia in many cases in our rich states poor states index. And you know, this is dynamic competitive environment and we're going to see what those states do to respond to it. Governor Patrick Morrissey, for instance, one of our great friends in West Virginia is per already proposed as state of the State address cutting income taxes across the board once again in that state. So I mean, this is a game on I think in terms of the mid Atlantic region and.
Speaker 1: Capital and people are mobile. I will not live in a state with a death tax. I just want that's taxing your well twice, it's been taxed before, at least once. I will not do it a second. I'll just leave, and I think other people will. Washington, like Virginia, want to do a millionaire's tex Don't they realize that people can move? I mean not some, but many.
Speaker 11: Well, the irony there in Washington State is they've been the reppient if so many people coming to Washington because they have been a no income.
Speaker 10: Tax state forever.
Speaker 11: Hugh and all the refugees, the tax refugees escaping places like California and other high tax states and going to Washington to take advantage of the fact that they were a no income tax state. As you know, we've talked about their state Supreme Court invented the right in their constitution to have a capital gains income tax and claimed it wasn't an income tax, and here we are, many of us warned that that would be the camel's nose under the tent and then'd be proposing other broad based income taxes. And here we go under Governor Ferguson in the legislature proposing a millionaire's tax. So unfortunately, there's some really bad ideas out there right now, Hugh.
Speaker 1: But it's not all bad news. You sent me good news as well. That will show up in rich Statespoorstates dot Com come April one. But let's talk about who's doing the right thing. South Carolina, by the way, sounds like a nice place to move to.
Speaker 11: Well, they've been getting a lot of residents already, and the legislature has just put for a great plan to reduce income taxes. They've obviously had to compete with North Carolina that's been doing very good things for years, kind of see a no income tax state Florida, no income tax state.
Speaker 10: Georgia has been cutting taxes and so they're looking.
Speaker 11: At ways to get down to a one point nine to nine percent income tax. So incredible progress there from a state that has not cut taxes as aggressively in recent years. But you know another one that I wanted to mention, Hugh, I just got back from Jefferson City, Missouri, yesterday, where I was on the ground with our Missouri legislators are ALEC delegation, and I have to give a hat tip to Governor Mike Keho, who has put it in a state of state address just recently, but he has a bold plan to completely repeal the Missouri income tax. Seeing all this movement around him and seeing that region with Sarah Huckabee Sanders in Arkansas and Kim Reynolds in Iowa and so many great movers, he realized that Missouri.
Speaker 10: Is quickly being left behind. They're tired of being middle of the pack.
Speaker 11: And he's got an ambitious plan to go and repeal the personal ends income taxa Missouri. So a kudos to Governor Kehoe for really being a leader on that this session.
Speaker 1: And ALEC keeps a great close side the American Legislative Exchange Council ALEC dot org SLASHU keeps an eye on the U haul growth Index inbound states you bought you haul's headed there number one, Texas, number two, Florida, number three, North Carolina, number four, Tennessee outbound states California, Illinois, New Jersey, and New York. You know you think they would learn, Jonathan, And what about we got like forty five seconds the Index of State Education Report which you released this week.
Speaker 11: Well, brand new education freedom and economic freedom go hand in hand. The Sunshine State, the Free State of Florida number one once again this year in our index, Arizona number two, Arkansas number three. Incredible progress for the lone Star state, the biggest gainer this year after their major school choice expansion that we've talked about a billion dollars going to families and kids across the state of Texas.
Speaker 10: So lots of great stories there at ALEC.
Speaker 1: I don't see Ohio on this list, Jonathan, are you doing your Michigan things are? Because I don't think we'll follow up well. Fuck Jarlen William, CEO of al ALC dot org. Thank you friend. I'll be right back on the u U show.
Speaker 3: Thank you very much, Larry. I'm going to start in French and then I'll switch back to English. Mercy, Larry, Thank you, Larry.
Speaker 12: It is both the pleasure and the duty to be with you tonight, in this pivotal moment that Canada and the world.
Speaker 3: Going through.
Speaker 12: Today, I will talk about a rupture in the world order, the end of a pleasant fiction and the beginning of a harsh reality. What you politics were the large main power. Politics is submitted to no limits, no constraints. On the other end, I would like to tell you that the other countries, especially intermediate powers like Canada, are not powerless.
Speaker 7: They have the capacity to build a new order that encompasses our values such as respect for human rights, sustainable development, solidarity, sovereignty.
Speaker 12: And territorial integrity of the various states. The power of the less power starts with honesty.
Speaker 3: It seems that every day we're reminded that we live in an era of great power rivalry, that the rules based order is fading, that the strong can do what they can and the weak must suffer what they must. And this aphorism of Thucidides is presented as inevitable as the natural logic of international relations reasserting itself. And faced with this logic, there is a strong tendency for countries to go along, to get along, to accommodate, to avoid trouble, to hope that compliance will buy safety. Well it won't, so what are our options? In nineteen seventy eight, the Czech dissident Vaslav Hovel, later president, wrote an essay called the Power of the Powerless, and in it he asked a simple question, how did the communist system sustain itself? And his answer began with a greengrocer. Every morning, the shopkeeper places a sign in his window. Workers of the world unite. He doesn't believe it, no one does, but he places a sign anyway to avoid, to signal compliance, to get along, and because every shopkeeper on every street does the same. The system persists not through violence alone, but through the participation of ordinary people in rituals they privately know to be false. Havell called this living within a lie. The system's power comes not from its truth, but from everyone's willingness to perform as if it were true, and its fragility comes from the same source. When even one person stops performing, when the greengrocer removes his sign, the illusion begins to crack. Friends, it is time for companies and countries to take their signs down. For decadesades, countries like Canada prospered under what we called the rules based international order. We joined its institutions, we praised its principles, We benefited from its predictability, and because of that we could pursue values based foreign policies under its protection. We knew the story of the international rules based order was partially false, that the strongest would exempt themselves when convenient, that trade rules were enforced asymmetrically, and we knew that international law applied with varying rigor depending on the identity of the accused or the victim. This fiction was useful, and American hegemony in particular helped provide public goods, open sea lanes, a stable financial system, collective security, and support for frameworks for resolving disputes. So we placed the sign in the window, We participated in the rituals, and we largely avoided calling out the gaps between rhetoric and reality. This bargain no longer works. Let me be direct. We are in the midst of a rupture, not a transition. Over the past two decades, a series of crises in finance, health, energy, and geopolitics have laid bare the risks of extreme global integration. But more recently, great powers have begun using economic integration as weapons. Tariffs's leverage, financial infrastructure is coercion, supply chains as vulnerabilities to be exploited. You cannot live within the lie of mutual benefit through integration when integration becomes the source of your subordination. The multilateral institutions on which the Middle Powers have relied, the wto the UN, the COP the architecture, the very architecture of collective problems solving, are under threat, and as a result, many countries are drawing the same conclusions that they must develop greater strategic autonomy in energy, food, critical minerals, in finance and supply chains. And this impulse is understandable. A country that can't feed itself, fuel itself, or defend itself has few options. When the rules no longer protect you, you must protect yourself. But let's be clear eyed about where this leads. A world of fortresses will be poorer, more fragile, and less sustainable. And there's another truth. If great powers abandoned even the pretense of rules and values for the unhindered pursuit of their power and interests, the gains from transactionalism will become harder to replicate. Hegemonds cannot continually monetize their relationships. Allies will diversify to hedge against uncertainty. They'll buy insurance, increase options in order to rebuild sovereignty. Sovereignty that was once grounded in rules, but will increasingly be anchored in the ability to withstand pressure. This room knows this is classic risk management. Risk management comes at a price, but that cost of strategic autonomy of sovereignty can also be shared. Collective investments and resilience are cheaper than everyone building their own fortresses. Shared standards reduce fragmentations. Complementarities are positive sum and the question for middle powers like Canada is not whether to adapt to the new reality we must. The question is whether we adapt by simply building higher walls, or whether we can do something more ambitious.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 3: Canada was amongst the first to hear the wake up call leading us to fundamentally shift our strategic posture. Canadians know that our old comfortable assumptions that our geography and alliance memberships automatically conferred prosperity and security, that assumption is no longer valid, and our new approach rests on what Alexander Stubb, the President of Finland, has termed value based realism, or, to put another way, we aim to be both principled and pragmatic. Principled in our commitment to fundamental values sovereignty, territorial integrity, the prohibition of the use of force except when consistent with the UN Charter, in respect for human rights, and pragmatic and recognizing the progress is often incremental, that interests diverged, that not every partner will share all of our values. So we're engaging broadlytrategically with open eyes. We actively take on the world as it is not weight around for world we wish to be. We are calibrating our relationships so their depth reflects our values, and we're prioritizing broad engagement to maximize our influence. And given the fluidity of the world at the moment, the risks that this poses and the stakes for what comes next, and we are no longer just relying on the strength of our values, but also the value of our strength. We are building that strength at home. Since my government took office, we have cut taxes on incomes, on capital gains and business investment. We have removed all federal barriers to interprovincial trade. We are fast tracking eight trillion dollars of investments in energy, AI, critical minerals, new trade corridors and beyond. We're doubling our defense spending by the end of this decade, and we're doing so in ways that build our domestic industries, and we are rapidly diversifying abroad. We've agreed a comprehensive strategic partnership with the EU, including joining safe the European Defense Procurement Arrangements. We have signed twelve other trade and security deals on four continents in six months. In the past few days, we've concluded new strategic partnerships with China and cutter We're negotiating free trade packs with India, assion Thailand, Philippines and Marcasar. We're doing something else to help solve global problems. We're pursuing variable geometry. In other words, different coalitions for different issues based on common values and interests. So on Ukraine, we're a core member of the Coalition of the Willing and one of the largest per capita contributors to its defense and security. On Arctic's sovereignty, we stand firmly with Greenland and Denmark and fully support their unique right to determine Greenland's future. Our commitment to NATO's Article five is unwavering, so we're working with our NATO allies, including the Nordic Baltic Gate, to further secure the alliance's northern and western flanks, including through Canada's unprecedented investments in over the horizon, radar, in submarines, in aircraft, and boots on the ground boots on the ice. Canada strongly opposes tariffs over Greenland and calls for focused talks to achieve our shared objectives of security and prosperity. In the art on purilateral trade, we're championing efforts to build a bridge between the Transpacific Partnership in the European Union, which would create a new trade block of one point five billion people. On critical minerals, we're forming buyers clubs anchored in the G seven so that the world can diverse fly away from concentrated supply. And on AI we're cooperating with like minded democracies to ensure that we won't ultimately be forced to choose between hedgemons and hyperscalers. This is not naive multilateralism, nor is it relying on their institutions. It's building coalitions that work issues by issue with partners who share enough common ground to act together. In some cases, this will be the vast majority of nations. What it's doing is creating a dense web of connections across trade, investment culture on which we can draw for future challenges and opportunities. Argue the Middle powers must act together because if we're not at the table. We're on them menu. But I'd also say that great powers. Great powers can afford for now to go it alone. They have the market size, the military capacity, and the leverage to dictate terms. Middle powers do not. But when we only negotiate bilaterally with a hedgemoont we negotiate from weakness. We accept what's offered. We compete with each other to be the most accommodating. This is not sovereignty, it's the performance of sovereignty while accepting subordination. In a world of great power rivalry, the countries in between have a choice compete with each other for favor or to combine to create a third path with impact. We shouldn't allow the rise of hard power to blind us to the fact that the power of legitimacy, integrity, and rules will remain strong if we choose to wield them together. Which brings me back to hal what does it mean for middle powers to live the truth first? It means naming reality, stop invoking rules based international order as though it still functions as advertised. Call it what it is, a system of intensifying great power rivalry where the most powerful pursue their interests using economic integration, as coercion. It means acting consistently applying the same standards to allies and rivals. When middle powers criticize economic intimidation from one direction but stay silent when it comes from another, we are keeping the sign in the window. It means building what we claim to believe in, rather than waiting for the old order to be restored. It means creating institutions and agreements that function is described. It means reducing the leverage that enables coercion. That's building a strong domestic economy. It should be every government's immediate priority. And diversification internationally is not just economic prudence, it's a material foundation for honest foreign policy because countries earn the right to principled stands by reducing their vulnerability to retaliation. So Canada, Canada has what the world wants. We are an energy superpower. We hold vast reserves of critical minerals. We have the most educated population in the world. Our pension funds are amongst the world's largest and most sophisticated investors. In other words, we have capital talent. We also have a government with immense fiscal capacity to act decisively, and we have the values to which many others aspire. Canada is a pluralistic society that we're works. Our public square is loud, diverse, and free. Canadians remain committed to sustainability. We are a stable and reliable partner in a world that is anything but a partner that builds and values relationships for the long term. And we have something else. We have a recognition of what's happening and a determination to act accordingly. We understand that this rupture calls for more than adaptation. It calls for honesty about the world as it is. We are taking a sign out of the window. We know the old order is not coming back. We shouldn't warn it. Nostalgia is not a strategy, but we believe that from the fracture we can build something bigger, better, stronger, more just. This is the task of the middle powers, the countries that have the most to lose from a world of fortresses and a most to gain from genuine cooperation. The powerful have their power. We have something to the capacity to stop pretending, to name reality, to build our strength at home, and to act together. That is Canada's path. We choose it openly and confidently, and it is a path wide open to any country willing to take it with us.
Speaker 5: Thank you very much.
Speaker 3: Well, thank you Prime Minister.
Speaker 13: I don't think I've seen many standing ovations.
Speaker 3: At devils, so that was interesting. You said.
Speaker 13: There was a phrase in your speech where you said, sovereignty now is the ability to withstand pressure. Isn't Canada almost uniquely vulnerable to pressure because of the extent of your trade dependence on the United States.
Speaker 3: Well, the proof is that we have been able to withstand the pressure, and there has been considerable pressure. I'll give you a couple of facts. We've actually created more jobs since the tariffs were put on than the United States in absolute number, economies growing at the second fastest rate within the G seven. There are pockets of extreme pressure, without question in Canada. But headline, we're reacting. The second thing, and it's a fundamental point, is the recognition that we can give ourselves far more than any foreign country can take away. There's lots of efficiencies in having one Canadian market, the trillion dollars of domestic investment and building these partnerships abroad, all of which are bigger returns than what's been lost. That's not to say we would rather not lose it, but we can withstand the pressure, and we are.
Speaker 13: I was interested that you said basically, the old world's not coming back, so you're not seeing this as a period.
Speaker 3: We just have to get through a normalcy. We'll return. I think that is what that is our view, and we regret it, but we're not going to sit around and mourn it. We're acting, and we're acting in a way both it's in our interests, but we believe in a way with others that's building imperfectly in steps a new system. I'll give you one example on handback, which is we're members of We are members of trade agreements that comprise already one point four billion people around the world, so we have the most extensive network. We are trying with others to bring some of those networks together. The most prominent example is the transpecific partnership in the EU acting of a bridge. It's it's not a direct benefit for Canada, but it is a benefit for Canada that these groups come together, ANGOZI is here consistent with the WTO rules, both of which are and in that way we're building back out amongst willing partners.
Speaker 13: And you talked about the need not to put the sign in the window anymore to pretend that things are still the same. Do you think to put it directly that the NATO Alliance is still doing that, still pretending it's the old Transatlantic partnership when it's.
Speaker 3: Really kind of going. I think clearly NATO is experiencing a test right now, and the first response to that test has to be to respond in a way that ensures the security of the Arctic in a robust way for all possibilities. This is actually a point that we have been making in recent years. It's a point that I made at the NATO summit back in June, which seemed like a pledging some but also was a was to get NATO policies in the right direction. So I think in the immediate term one of the imperatives is to reinforce things that Canada is doing, Nordic balter Kate are doing, the UK are doing other NATO partners France included in a comprehensive way that provides much greater security in the Artic that this is the test, and so I wouldn't say the sign, the NATO sign stays in the window, but we've got to meet the moment of that.
Speaker 13: You also a big theme of your speech was the need for middle powers to work together. But you've just been to the other great power, to China, and I think people very intrigued by seeing that meeting. And some people say, kind of that's a mistake, really because you know you're going to make yourself more dependent on China. They're not that benign either. The US will be very annoyed. What's what's the defense of what you're doing and what do you have to get out of it?
Speaker 3: Well, the first thing is to say, it's not a defense. It's an I know the way you frame the question, but it's offense, it's building out, it's something positive as opposed to against. We're for something as opposed to being against. The second is they're very clear guardrails in that relationship. I spoke of calibration of relationships in my remarks, that's what I mean by it. But within those clear guardrails are huge opportunities in energy, both clean and conventional, obviously, in motor vehicles, in agriculture, in financial services, all of which is mutually beneficial. So it's additive. And look, it's the second largest economy and it's our second largest trading partner. We should have a strategic partnership with them in that within those guardrails, and that's what we've achieved.
Speaker 13: And it is an interest and reversal though because I think certainly during the Biden administration, there was this sense that the Western world was trying to decouple from China or the risk at least, and is now in this new world really going to go into reverse and de risking from China because there are other risks is less of a.
Speaker 3: Thing you need. Again, many in this room, this is there live. You need a web of connections and to miss out in that web some of the largest ones United States, we already have that China, India, Mercers or European Union. That's a mistake. That's not managing your relationships properly. That makes you stronger, it makes you more resilient. And then on top of that, I'll give you again all appeal since it's in the headlines to the Nordics, Nordix plus Canada, it's twenty percent of global GDP. It's not the first thing people would realize, but that relationship, which is deepening for security reasons, because we're like minded. Those are the types of partnerships that I think we'll see more.
Speaker 13: And you've got a round of applause when you said something strong about standing on principle on Greenland.
Speaker 3: Do you think we can find an off ramp on that.
Speaker 1: I mean, I'm sure you'll speak of it.
Speaker 3: But put it this way.
Speaker 1: If there isn't an off ramp, where does this cut.
Speaker 3: I strongly believe that there is a bet there's a better outcome that come from the discussions that have been catalyzed in an unusual way. Mantley. But and we absolutely stand by the principles that I referenced. That solution starts with security, and a security yes of Greenland, but more broadly of the Arctic. Canada is four square contributing to that. We're at the start of a major ramp up above and beyond, so we will be a major contributor to that. NATO has to deliver on that. We're working intensively in order to do it as well prosperity for the people of Greenland. In the end, it comes back to the people there, and there are opportunities to do that in ways that would strengthen all of the alliance.
Speaker 13: And when President Trump says, oh, you know, Greenland's on the threat from Russia, even from China, is that for real.
Speaker 3: I would say that there are threat. Russia is without question a threat in the Arctic. Without question, Russia does lots of horrible things, and I'll take the opportunity to condemn their unjustified and horrific assault on Ukraine almost at its fourth year. They are a real threat in the Arctic, one against we need to protect, which is why we have two hundred sixty four five day air sea and land presence. Is why we're adding to our submarine fleet, adding to our air fighter fleet, why we're building out over the horizon radar to protect from Russian missile threats and others, and why we will work with our NATO partners. The threat is more perspective than actual at this stage in terms of actual actives in the Arctic, and we intend to keep it that way.
Speaker 13: Another big issue that's going to come up this week is this Board of Peace that President Trump is keen on. I'm not sure whether it's for Gaza or for the entire world, but apparently Canada has been invited.
Speaker 3: Are you going to join? We have been invited, and let me start by I think we should recognize the progress that has been made in at least getting to the towards the end of the first phase of this process and the activation if I can put it that way, of the process. To set up the border piece is the start of phase two. Our view is and that's to be welcomed and this is a positive vehicle. Our view is we need to work on the actual structure of the vehicle you just referenced. Is it for Gaza? Well, the UN Resolution Security Council Resolution twenty eight oh three references a boarder piece for Gaza. That's where we see it becoming immediately operative and it needs to be. In our view, it's better to be designed in that way for the immediate needs there there are many other needs around the world. First point. Second point, it needs to coincide with the immediate full flow of humanitarian aid into Gaza. We are still not where we need to be. Conditions still are horrific, so that needs to come alongside. We think there's aspects of the governance and the decision making process that could be improved, but we will work with others, obviously work with the United States, because we will do anything that we can to improve the situation. Horrific situation there, and to move onto a path to a true two state solution.
Speaker 13: There's a suggestion you can get permanent membership of the border piece by polling up a billion dollars.
Speaker 3: You're going to write a check for that. We would write checks and deliver in kind to improve the welfare of the people of Palestine, but we want to see it delivered direct to those outcomes, those outcomes promoting peace and sower the mechanics and how it works that way. Okay, final question.
Speaker 13: President Trump and a lot of people who agree with him condemn globalism a lot, and I suspect you know you would be the kind of epitome of a globalist. You know you work for Goldman Sachs. I believe you were at central banker. You know you're comfortable and lived in several countries. Is globalism first of all?
Speaker 3: Is it a thing?
Speaker 5: And is it over?
Speaker 3: I think, well, look, understanding how the world works, having an appreciation for other cultures, understanding the connections, and being able to or at least appreciating ways that how we connect, whether it's through technology, trade, investment, culture can enrich our lives and that's a good thing. And also help solve problems being detached from where you live and the broader needs of society. There is an epithet for that. I don't know that the G word is the one, and there's certainly what we're finding. And to go back to the points that I was making is that there are a number of like minded countries that want to work through partnership to achieve those goals for their citizens and for the world more broadly, the call is for more to recognize what's really going on right now and to pool their resources to the benefit of citizens. So it won't be global, it won't cover the globe, but it will be more powerful.
Speaker 13: Okay, prominent, Thank you very much in day much
Speaker 5: You