Speaker 1: Man, Chabot Shaloon, Friends, Shabat Shaloon, and welcome back to New Robots Who podcast. Mama, what's the reason I'm saying Shabat shalom to all of our friends out there?
Speaker 2: We have been having a massive discussion this week about observing the Sabbath and keeping it holy.
Speaker 1: We've touched upon this before, and we said that we were going to implement this for the new year of twenty twenty six. It is now March and it is still not happening.
Speaker 2: Well, we hadn't talked about Actually we talked about taking more time off, but we've never talked about actually observing a week.
Speaker 1: I talked about it.
Speaker 2: A day every week. We've talked about it full turn everything off. I mean, yes, but we didn't call.
Speaker 1: It that correct, right, So what prompted all of that this week?
Speaker 2: Okay, this is going to make one particular person really angry. So last week I made a joke about Cana's owens and then this one gal got really mad and she's like, can you ever do an episode and not talk about Canda's owens.
Speaker 1: She's doing it again.
Speaker 2: No, So she released new shirt this week that says Daddy's Home Shabat Shalom, and essentially it's making fun of Erica Kirk saying that Charlie Kirk would say that every Friday.
Speaker 1: We're not going to spend so much time on this.
Speaker 3: I promise I'm not. So I thought, that's weird.
Speaker 2: Did he say it, because like I remember him saying it on a podcast. I used to watch all his podcasts, And then Navea said no. At Young Women's Leadership when I was there for Turning Point this last summer, he gave a whole speech about the importance of the Sabbath and observing the Sabbath with your family and why he does it, and so.
Speaker 3: I thought, yeah, that's what I thought.
Speaker 2: So I kind of went down this little rabbit hole trying to find him actually saying it, which I found five different places in like five minutes.
Speaker 3: It's very easy to verify.
Speaker 2: But then I went a little deeper down the rabbit hole and I thought.
Speaker 3: He's onto something. This sounds like a great thing for our family.
Speaker 1: Look, it felt like he came up with it.
Speaker 2: So I would just like to thank Candace Owens for creating her I mean hearted shirt, which is leading me to really investigate observing a sabbath for our family and doing this every week, this is going to bring.
Speaker 1: About a whole It has the potential to bring about an entire discussion. Yes, about people in this industry, however you want to refer to or think of this industry, That will maybe table for now, because I don't want to go off on something negative here to start. So the primary motivation I think for us doing this is somewhat of a mental health crisis. Can I call it that?
Speaker 3: Sure?
Speaker 1: I was listening to Tony Robbins just coincidentally. It's not like I sought this out. It popped up in my algorithm and it was attention grabbing clip and I listened to it, and he basically addressed how all of these conferences that he does, how he can very easily determine that about ninety percent of the people in the room are are suffering from some sort of a mental health crisis that is being brought about primarily because of time or just life stress. And I definitely think that we fall into that category. And he explained that basically, so many of us are experiencing this same mental anguish, but we do such a great job of masking it right when it comes to these face to face interactions that we have with other people.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, mind that the reports are that somewhere around thirty percent of Americans, okay, are in a mental health crisis.
Speaker 3: Now I think it's probably higher than that.
Speaker 2: We just call it stress, or we call it depression, or we call it being overstimulated or overwhelmed, or not liking our job. There's different things that we call it or label it, and really what it is is just like the whole world crashing down on you and never feeling like you can get ahead. And it's because we have so many distractions and we never quit. I think in America we just go, go, go, go go, especially if you own your own business, anyone that owns their own business, it just goes seven days a week because you can never shut it off. And we're doing it to our children. We're overbooking our kids. They go from they get up at six o'clock in the morning and it's go, go go. I mean I remember school mornings. They were stressful and you were in a hurry and you were trying to catch the bus and you were trying to Mom was yelling it. You get your stuff, get do you have your homework.
Speaker 1: Okay, but we have avoided that. Yes, given how it is that we have chosen to live. However, I would still say that we suffer from the same affliction, right, So why is that?
Speaker 2: Because we work for ourselves and there's always something that we can be doing, So we're always doing something and.
Speaker 3: It has to do with the way we live.
Speaker 2: Also, when you live on twenty acres and you have a farm property, there's always something.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that keeps you busy, for sure, but that doesn't have to co mingle with what it is that you consider work. That's just your to do list, that those are chores. I don't think of it the same way.
Speaker 2: For if you're a blogger, you have made your life, your content and your work.
Speaker 1: A big part of my frustration, which is this entire concept, is the fact that I will hold off on things that I would like to get done around here because everything does have the potential for us to record it and turn it into a segment for our vlog channel, Good Simple Living. And this is something that came up in a discussion that you and I had of going back a few days ago. Because most of the books, everything it is that you guys see for us with regard to running our own business, I guess you could say. And in the latter part of last year, prior to the new year, we had a discussion on here with you guys about how we're going to take more time off devote ourselves a family, and I was like, where's the time off right, Which is a little awkward to bring up on camera, but I've just been feeling like this overwhelming sense lately of time slipping through my grasp. And I think a lot of us feel that way, especially the age that we are, but with having the kids and having them get older. You know, I took my money in for his driver's ed drive this morning. It's what we had to devote pretty much like the first half of our days year. And while I'm like extatic and super happy and excited for him, I can't help but at the same time, I feel as though, like I can't I can't believe this is happening again, Like this is so bizarre that our kids are growing up in that we could potentially not only have him for another couple of years before he decides.
Speaker 2: To And then Baby Kira, and you've always called.
Speaker 3: Her baby Kira, and all she's not a baby anymore.
Speaker 1: I don't know if it's like a Midlight Prices type of thing, or it's just it's you have a different comprehension of time the older you get, and you know how quickly you know everything moves along.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I think our kids are feeling in a little bit too, like they're falling into the feeling overwhelmed. And when you go seven days a week, you get overwhelmed and it never ends, and you feel like you're on this vicious cycle that just keeps going. Even if you work Monday through Friday and you do have your weekends off. Weekends are for catching up on laundry, cleaning the house, getting grocery shopping, planning the kids for the next week of school. I think anybody can relate to. If you work for the weekend, your weekend isn't just free. That's when you catch up and then Monday morning comes around.
Speaker 1: That by itself is a lot. And to you that analogy that we've applied to like our parenting in the past is like, what it's it like having five kids? Will picture your drowning. This is all a joke. Yeah, and then someone hands you a baby. I feel like our life has just become like this conveyor belt of things that need to get done. And that's great, don't get me wrong. Like I'm not trying to come on here and to gripe and complain. We're so incredibly fortunate to be able to do what it is that we do, and we have all of you out there to thank for that opportunity. But there are times where it just does become a lot, you know what I mean. It feels like there's never a break. It is NonStop, and it is so incredibly overwhelming.
Speaker 2: Well, I think that a lot of people that have watched YouTube for a while, or watch the Internet for a while are starting to see the creators that have been around for a long time starting to step back and starting to take massive breaks.
Speaker 1: Yeah. For I'm sure a number of different reasons. But every time I do see that and somebody I respect it so much because.
Speaker 2: They say they're going to and then they don't because they can't get off the hamster.
Speaker 3: It feels uncomfortable to step back.
Speaker 1: What is your why? What is your motivation for? Because you're somebody and I've referenced this on here before, is you're somebody that's really hard to keep up with. You are always looking ahead to the next thing, the next thing, the next thing. I think, and this isn't a knock on you. I think I'm somebody who's far more present. Is that fair to say? Of like the here and now, and I'm not going to worry so much about the future.
Speaker 3: I don't know. I feel like when we're in the here and now now, I don't know.
Speaker 2: I feel like you worry about the future far more like you almost dread the future.
Speaker 1: I do have anxiety about the uncertainty of the future, but at the same time, just because of that uncertainty, I want to try to appreciate the present as much as I possibly can, and that's always been really difficult to do when I, like I said, you have that conveyor belt of never ending to do's.
Speaker 3: Okay, so hear me out on that go ahead.
Speaker 2: I feel like I might be a little more here and now present intentionally, And that's why I don't feel as much stress as you, because I do enjoy today, and I feel like you feel guilt about looking towards the future and you're mad that you're not enjoying today.
Speaker 3: You want to, but you're not.
Speaker 1: I think I have a lot of like present day stress because I feel like something's off. I feel like there should be like our priorities should remain to where we are maximizing the amount of time we possibly can, especially when it comes to the kids. When I feel like, you know, something is interfering with that, I just become very conflicted and even frustrated at times.
Speaker 3: Yes, so you have brought up I want to.
Speaker 1: Turn this into like like marriage therapy because it's sounding that way.
Speaker 2: Welcome to our therapy session. So you have on multiple occasions brought up. We live somewhere where there's beautiful hikes. Why don't we go hiking. I want to go fishing with the kids. I want to go hunting with the kids. I want to go boating more, I want to go do you know all these things? And so I said, yeah, we have to have a designated day for this, and then Candice made her shirt. Then I dug down the rabbit hole and I went, we need a shabbot.
Speaker 1: Okay, there we go. That's how we got to where it is that we are.
Speaker 2: We need an intentional day off where we focus on God and our family. And I think in focusing on your family and focusing on your kids and our relationship with one another.
Speaker 3: You are honoring God.
Speaker 2: That is focusing on God because he wants you to focus on your little family and what's important and what he's blessed you with.
Speaker 1: And work is important. Yeah, don't get me wrong.
Speaker 3: You work.
Speaker 2: You shall work for six days and you shall rest on the seventh.
Speaker 1: But you can work eighteen hours a day if you choose to do so. This is kind of my point. It's like, hey, let's be reasonable all about this, and again, how can we just maximize our time? And when I feel like we are allocating in our time in a way that doesn't necessarily jive with my genuine, my true desires, it again, it just creates some internal conflict.
Speaker 2: So when we're talking about what we want to do with taking a day of rest, a true day of rest, it is turning off the router. No, because the big thing, the big thing that drains your time is these freaking phones.
Speaker 3: And those freaking routers and the stud WiFi.
Speaker 2: It is the worst thing to happen to humanity and the nuclear family and relationships. Husbands and wives just sit there staring down at their screens.
Speaker 3: You' all do it, you know you do, and then your kids do it.
Speaker 2: And then your kids come up to you and they have something to show you or tell you.
Speaker 3: And they have done studies where they hook up.
Speaker 2: The brain with the little stickers and they will show parents doom scrolling and they will show their kids come up to them, and the anxiety and the annoyance levels go up when your child approaches you. And then they have parents just sitting on the couch having a conversation or just you know, sitting there and their kids come up to them and endorphins light up. They're happy to see their children when they come up to them, but when they're doom scrolling on their stupid phone, their annoyance goes up. The problem is not with the child. The problem is with the evil device.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's not just that. And I think that's something that, like Melissa alludes to you, I think most of was probably experienced that. Alwise you wouldn't be here watching us. But I think it is all amplified when you operate in the world that we have elected to operate and to where you feel like you need to be up on stuff, you need to be constantly checking, and you don't refreshing and checking the status of things. And even with this entire concept and idea of implementing this Sabbath day with you and I were trying to establish when it is that we could take this twenty four hour period so to turn off the Wi fi everything aside, and that was like we couldn't come up with.
Speaker 2: It, Like, wait a minute, because we want to do it on Saturday. I want to do it on the day that got intended. I want to do it on the last day of the weekend. And I'll get into why, because I know Sunday is a traditional day of worship for Christians, but to me, it's important to do it on the day that God said to do it on because I feel like his timing fright. I feel like his map for humanity is correct. And I understand that it was a covenant between God and the Jew and I'm not trying to step on those toes at all.
Speaker 3: But I don't, you.
Speaker 2: Know, I don't believe that we're under the law anymore. So I think you can take your Sabbath on a Monday, you can take your Sabbath on a Friday, you can take your sabbath not at all we're not mandated to take a sabbath, but are there still benefits to it?
Speaker 1: Absolutely sure, which is why I'm completely in favor of it. But with establishing Saturday, you know, that's the day that we post on goods and living for those of you who watch us over there, and releasing a video on YouTube, at least for us, isn't as simple as just hitting publish and or you know, public or whatever it is and having the video go live. It's sitting there monitoring things, tracking how a video is doing, having discussions before then now we need to tweak something to make it perform better.
Speaker 2: And talking back and forth with our audience too, if you guys have questions or like what's the code for that?
Speaker 3: Or why do you do this?
Speaker 2: Like? We like to be there and be present and be able to respond to you guys.
Speaker 1: So generally we release at eight am Pacific standard time, but we are sitting at our computer or we are on the phone, trying to answer comments, monitor how the video is doing for at least a few hours. Generally I try to walk away from it by like ten and that's not because of any of you out there, So apologies if you are somebody who happens to watch and common a couple hours after we release, because at that point I just try to move on with my day for my own health.
Speaker 2: And Saturday, Yeah, so what we decided was we would were going to continue posting on Saturday. So we'll post at eight o'clock am Pacific Standard time on Saturday. We will monitor it for two hours, and then ten am Saturday morning, our.
Speaker 3: Shabbot starts our day of rest.
Speaker 2: And then Sunday at ten am, we will turn the Wi Fi rider back on and then we'll you know, I'll probably answer questions and things like that, I'll scroll through and we'll be back with you. But for twenty four hours, we are going to take time to be with God and with our family and be intentional about rest because rest is so important for everybody.
Speaker 3: Everyone needs rest.
Speaker 2: And if you're not intentional about it with Wi Fi in your life, if Wi Fi streams through your home, are not intentional about it, you're going to get distracted and you're going to get pulled back in. All right, ladies and gentlemen, I just found my new favorite brand for Jeremy. You know that he values comfort over everything else, and it's really difficult to try to get him to try anything new because no shirt actually survives that break in period before he's back in his old holy favorites.
Speaker 3: And then I found Poncho Outdoors.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I've been wearing their flannels this winter and these things are unreal. I hate getting new shirts because they're always so stiff and bulky, but Poschow shirts are soft, stretchy, and breathable. They definitely leave up.
Speaker 2: To the height and Pancho is everything from soft flannels to denims and also lightweight shirts that are going to be perfect for the warmer season while we're boning or even just working around the yard. They come in regular, slim or tall, so you get that perfect fit and a man in a good fitting button up that just makes us all happy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, Melissa said, it's true. I'm definitely somebody who really appreciates function, and Posco shirts have some really cool features that I've never seen on other shirts before, like magnetic pockets, a lens cloth which I use constantly, and then there's zippered pockets as well. The flannel has definitely been a favorite of mine, but I've picked up a few of their ultra light shirts, which I know are going to be my summer go to because they drive in minutes and offer SPA fifty sound protection.
Speaker 2: Punch also has a huge variety to choose from, an incredible customer service, plus free shipping, free returns, and even exchanges any time. They will stand behind every single shirt and they will make it right if it's not your favorite, even months later.
Speaker 1: So to grab your next favorite wear anywhere shirt that will make you and your wife happy, go to Punch Outdoors dot com slash NWOS and enter your email for ten dollars off your first order. That's po Nccho Outdoors dot com slash NWS for ten dollars off us free shipping, and when they ask how you heard about them, let them know them Listen, I sent you over from the New World. Also podcast. What qualifies as rest to you? Because rest and respite to me just means stepping away from everything it is that we would ordinarily do. So if I go outside and I help on the track, or I help on my lawn mower, or I decide to take the kids for a hike, is that acceptable?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: So I think so.
Speaker 2: I have been trying to figure out what is an appropriate.
Speaker 3: Charlie Kirk said, if I can walk into your.
Speaker 2: Home on your sabbath and it looks like any other day, then you're not doing it right.
Speaker 1: Agreed, That's what he did.
Speaker 2: Set it young women's leadership that Noville was listening to, and.
Speaker 3: I agree with that. But also there is times in the Bible where.
Speaker 2: Jesus even corrected the Pharisees because the Pharisees took the fourth commandment, you shall keep the sabbath and keep it holy, right, that was the fourth commandment, and they were very.
Speaker 3: Strict about it.
Speaker 2: But they became so strict about it they became like militant about it.
Speaker 3: You have to do all of these things, and you can't do that.
Speaker 2: And if you're if if you even hit a grain of you know, wheat, and the grain falls to the ground and plants itself, you have you have failed.
Speaker 3: And so Jesus came back.
Speaker 2: Not to abolish the sabbath, not to say this is no longer important, this no longer benefits mankind.
Speaker 3: He came back to clarify its intent.
Speaker 2: So there's there's all these laws that you know, got more and more and more strict, and it became a source of judgment against the people you're doing this wrong. And so he intentionally healed somebody on the Sabbath. His disciples were criticized and shamed for grabbing some wheat and eating it. Yeah, like you can't do that. You have to have all your meals prepared and everything. Sabbath was meant to bring peace and rest and family time. I think, like, you weren't even supposed to leave your place of dwelling on the Sabbath. You were supposed to stay home and be with your family and reconnect with God.
Speaker 3: And I think that's cool. But I we're not under the law.
Speaker 1: The law was the same time, I'm not saying that it should be some you know, like it shouldn't be so stringent. But if I decided to take the kids to go do something, or if I you know, like we're going to hike, or if I use the example I just throw out there, if I hop on the tractor and I project that I just wanted to do off camera, or I want to whatever it is is work in the garden.
Speaker 3: Does that bring you peace and rest?
Speaker 1: It does. At the same time, I would say that it's honoring God.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I agree.
Speaker 2: So, I mean it's very important that we don't judge people like us. Taking a Sabbath doesn't make us holier.
Speaker 3: It's not.
Speaker 2: We're not going to stand before God and he's going to say you honored the Sabbath. Therefore, this this merit based you get to go to this higher level of heaven, or you're you're holier, or you did better because you observe the Sabbath with your family. We are no longer under that, We're no longer under dietary laws or anything like that. If you choose to eat kosher, if you choose to honor a Sabbath, if you choose to to continue on with these traditions, you are free to do so. But you are not free to judge others that don't. And you're not mandated to which means you're not under the strict laws that once exists.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this isn't about judgment or comparison. I'm not doing this for any other purpose than trying to honor God in my own way, to devote myself to my family, which in the you know, I think the also honors God.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So we said that our Sabbath was going to be when we went out on the boat with our kids, and when we take them out fishing for a whole day.
Speaker 3: When we go out and.
Speaker 2: We do every hike that's an Idaho because we live there are so many waterfall hikes. Like, we want to go out and hike in nature, not record it, and just be with our family, pack sandwiches and have an amazing day. And then I want to have a Shabbat dinner and so and not in the traditional sense. We're not going to have you know what people of the Jewish faith would eat first Sabbath. We're going to have pizza night, or we're going to or Kimani is going to cook.
Speaker 3: Kimoni's a really tremendous.
Speaker 2: Cook and he loves to cook, but he needs like a little bit of help still.
Speaker 1: And everything he's made so far has been so good, by far, the best meals that we we share it together.
Speaker 2: Like crazy recipes. And then he gives me this list, right, and.
Speaker 1: I encourage him, like it's such a cool thing for him to tackle and take on it at fifteen years old. It's so incredibly impressive what he's able to do already.
Speaker 2: He read that of all the of the of all the things that women find most attractive, it's being good with kids and knowing how to cook.
Speaker 1: He coverage.
Speaker 2: He's like spending all this time with Micah and then.
Speaker 3: He's learning how to cook really really good food.
Speaker 1: He's good to Micah. He's so good, He's so sweet.
Speaker 2: He's going to be the best. He's going to be like the best little I'm going to be so protective. Oh my gosh, I'm going to need a shabbot just to be nice to any girl that comes along to steal my little boy's heart, because oh gosh, it's gonna be so hard.
Speaker 1: I'll be part of. This has me questioning what again, our motivations are? What motivates you to continue on? Like we've been on this treadmill for years now, what is it that has kept you going? You're always looking ahead? Like I said, whether it be like, hey, I'm gonna write another book this year, Like every time we think like our plate is full, Melissa's like not, I can fit more on there. Let's do this this year. How about we we grow and expand and try to do this And like I get that, you know you're trying to balance on the opportunity that would have been blessed with, but really, really is your your incentive. What is your motivation here?
Speaker 2: I enjoy it. It makes me excited to get up in the morning. I'm somebody who really needs something to do and something to work towards. And I don't like the feeling of completion. I like having something that that makes me excited to put my feet on the ground that I'm working towards.
Speaker 3: That's hard.
Speaker 1: I would say we differ in that way. Would you agree? Yes? What do you think my motivation is at this point the stage?
Speaker 2: I think you want to live the life you imagined and you feel like you've worked, You've worked up to that point, and now you want to sit and be in that.
Speaker 1: I don't just want to sit, It's not like but I mean you want to.
Speaker 3: You want to immerse yourself in that light that you dreamed.
Speaker 1: About, for sure. But it's time more than any.
Speaker 3: Yeah, time is about time.
Speaker 1: For me.
Speaker 3: Time is so important, value time more than anything else.
Speaker 2: So I have I mean, I have a couple things, like I do like to be working towards something. I like to inspire the kids. And I think that we have definitely done that writing a just writing a children's book, and then like now I'm going to be writing a second book. It's I like to show the kids that they can do things that people don't really think they can do. I never thought that I could actually write a book. I always wanted to, but it's like, well, no, only authors, right, I'm.
Speaker 1: With you on that and all this is beyond my wild the dreams, believe me. Yeah, everything it is that we've managed to do over the past few years. However, at the same time, I think that there is value to come along with with prioritizing the things that I'm speaking on as well that can serve as motivation or an example to them when they are older and they have their families of their own.
Speaker 2: So things are going to start looking a little bit different. We've decided that we're going to be taking a week off a lot of months, maybe not every month. We didn't take a week off in February or March, but in April, in May, in June and July and August, definitely over the holidays. We're going to be taking a week off a month. So there might be three videos instead of four because we want.
Speaker 3: A block of time.
Speaker 2: And in addition to that, we're going to be taking every Saturday off. So if you try to reach us on a Saturday. We are having our Shabbat and we will get back.
Speaker 3: To you on Sunday. It's just very important.
Speaker 2: It's important for our marriage because we've kind of been you want me to slow down.
Speaker 3: I want you to catch up. And so we've had this.
Speaker 2: Little battle where I think this is going to be good for all of us, and our kids seem excited about it too. At first, I thought they'd be resistant, and when I first brought it up, they were like, no Wi Fi twenty four hours mom, And it's like I just started posting videos like I have to edit, I have to end.
Speaker 3: Every went oh wow, like that's going to be hard.
Speaker 2: And then the more we talked about it, the more they were all like, well, what day, what hours? Okay, this is going to be They see the value in it, and I think if we can instill that in them when they're young, that rest and time with God and prioritizing their family and knowing when to stop. Like, if we can instill that in them WHI when they're young, it will hopefully carry on because I told them I have this dream that we continue this as a family.
Speaker 3: If you move away, it's your.
Speaker 2: Choice to continue it or not the Saturday tradition of rest, because how cool would it be if.
Speaker 3: We actually end up.
Speaker 2: I know it's more work building that outdoor pizza of and I've been talking about and every Saturday for Shabat dinner, our kids and our grandkids come over and we have pizza and we do a Bible study and it's just the day that our family gets together.
Speaker 1: That sounds great and we can get there, but there's no there's not that same sense of urgency with me in my mind. I'm like, no, we'll get there. Yeah, you know what I mean. It's not a matter of that it needs to be balls of the wall as it has been for the last six years.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 2: I want to have this rest time too, and I think it's going to be really good for our family. It's going to intentionally give us that time to go do those hikes that we've been talking about, to take those family walks, to ride horses in.
Speaker 1: Blessing that is, we have afforded ourselves that opportunity. What good is it if you don't take advantage of it.
Speaker 2: And it's God's design And I think he rested on the seventh Day, but I think he knew that the nature of man was always going to be more. It's part of our fallen nature to always want more, to always strive for more. And it's not necessarily a good thing, and so he mandated, but he made it the law that the Jewish people rested because he saw the importance of it. He knew, this is so important that you have this time to reconnect with me, to reconnect with your family, and to find peace and then get back to work.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because everything else is a distraction.
Speaker 2: Right, And everybody that I hear, I mean, if you actually Charlie kirkch just wrote a book, well, he wrote a book. He was talking about it in July and it came out of Christmas time, after he had passed away.
Speaker 3: And it's called Stop in the Name of God.
Speaker 2: And I want to order it on Amazon and read it because I know it's going to make me even more excited about it. I haven't read the book. I don't know if any of you guys have read the book. But he said that it changed his family and his life and his stress level so much by taking an intentional day turning everything off that he would literally take his phone put it in the junk drawer and say he would walk through the door, tell his daughter daddy's home Shabat shalom. And then at the end of his podcast on Friday, you can go watch his Friday podcast, he'd go, Shabat shaloon. Everyone, go turn your phones off, go spend time with God and family, enjoy your weekend. We'll see you back on Monday. And he was excited, you could tell, like he was so excited for that time on.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I admire it so much, between him serving as an example and people like bench Perils telling you about how he and everything he does and is.
Speaker 3: Jewish breaker off.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they have no power even in their house. But he was explaining how even you know, when he just takes a sip of his water or tea or whatever beverage he's enjoying, he takes a second to thank God for his now and for that drink. And like, I admire that tremendously because you're keeping God at the forefront. And like I said, we're bombarded constantly, NonStop with distractions, especially when it comes to things like our phones, and so to cast all this hide it's something that I just I'm a yearn for it, all.
Speaker 3: Right, Parents, and grandparents.
Speaker 2: Easter is just around the corner, which means we're all starting to fill those baskets for all of the little.
Speaker 3: Ones in our lives.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 2: For many kids today, Easter means egg hunts, candies, and of course the Easter Buddy. Now, these are all really fun traditions, but they can also overshadow the true meaning of why we celebrate Easter and how the resurrection of Jesus changed everything.
Speaker 1: So this used to trying to find the perfect basket stuffer is definitely go. Check out the incredible story that Brave Books just released from Christian Apologists Melissa Doherty called The Day That Made the Way to help families clearly explain the real story of Easter and the Gospel behind it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, The Day They Made the Way is such a sweet story about creatures living in darkness until light enters the world, helping kids understand big Biblical ideas like sin, redemption, and why Jesus had to die and rise again. Also, you have just this week to order to make sure that you have it in time for Easter.
Speaker 1: In addition to the Day That Made the Way, Brave also has a very sweet Easter bundle that is perfect for every basket. This year we got the whole bundle. There are two incredible books, a coloring book, activity book, stickers, and the cutest, softest bunny. Just add some sweets and you we all sit with basket stuffers that are not going delight but also teach about the true meaning of Easter.
Speaker 3: That's right.
Speaker 2: And if you join the Brave Book Club, which we've been telling you guys about for months now, you are going to get the Day that Made the Way for free, along with the new children's book every single month designed to help families teach biblical values and a Christian worldview. When you go to Brave books dot com, slash Easter and.
Speaker 3: Remember to order this week to ensure Easter delivery.
Speaker 2: So Sunday would have been the obvious day because we're Christians and that's the Christian day of worship. So that led me down another rabbit hole of like, why do Christian celebrate on Sunday instead of Saturday? And was it literally just because well, and then I heard a lot of Jewish people onlan say Christian should not be taking a sabbath on Saturday. That was a covenant between God and Jews, and they believe that covenant is still in place, and so that's why they still observe the Sabbath and they're still do it with all of the rituals and the traditions, and I mean, I would argue that that Sabbath and rest is for mankind. God created all of us, and yes, it was a covenant, but once Jesus rose again, like we're you know, the law was fulfilled. Now if you're of the Jewish faith, that you don't believe that obviously, and that's fine. I'm not here to debate Judaism versus Christianity. But it kind of led me down this, like, so why is it that the Christian celebrates Sunday. And then it all started like a very long time ago, where like the Roman Empire Constantine or the Roman Emperor Constantine, he used to worship the Son. He was a son worshiper, and that was like a pagan religion in Rome. And then in three twenty one AD, well a few years before that, he converted to Christianity, and so the Roman Empire were still Pagans, but then he was a Christian and he was watching Christians be persecuted and literally thrown into the arena to be killed because that's what they did with a lot of Christians and slaves to entertain them. And so to try to kind of marry the pagan religion to the Christian religion and have peace in his empire. He said, Sunday is the day of worship. So whether you worship the Sun, the sun God Sunday the day of the Sun, or you worship Christ. Because the Christians were all worshiping Christ on Sunday, this is going to be this day of worship. Shops will be closed, and you can't persecute anyone.
Speaker 3: Nobody can.
Speaker 2: So like you kind of was like pardoning Christians, like, we can't persecute Christians on this day, it's their day of worship. But really what he was doing was trying to be friendly with the Christians because he was.
Speaker 1: Convert my little historical bride here. So I just I.
Speaker 3: Dove down rabbit holes this week, okay. But then it became a persecution against the Jews.
Speaker 2: So then it became okay, if you're not celebrating on Sunday and you're celebrating on.
Speaker 3: Saturday, oh, those are the Jewish people.
Speaker 2: And then they started to persecute Jews that celebrated on Saturday and force them to celebrate on Sunday. So they literally have now gone back to a Saturday Sabbath. But they were celebrating on Sunday because they were persecuted or excommunicated out of Rome if they tried to celebrate on the Jewish tradition of Saturday.
Speaker 1: Doesn't really matter. There's seven days in a week.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, I feel like, do we want to be traditional with doing Saturday the last day of the week. It's God intended he rested on the seventh day. I feel like God's timing is always perfect. So I've been tortured all week with this. But then it's like, but if you go back two hundred years earlier, there was somebody just just in Martyr and wonder what his parents, what happened to his parents. I'm not having the last name of martyr back then. So this is like one hundred years after Christ died. He wrote that he noticed Christians were celebrating on Sunday because it was Resurrection Day, it was the.
Speaker 3: Day of our Lord.
Speaker 2: So long before Constantine said we have to celebrate on Sunday, Christians were already celebrating on Sunday. So I feel like you could do it Saturday or Sunday. There is no right or wrong answer, because we're not under the law, we're not under the Jewish tradition. Do it for peace, do it for God, do it for your family, or don't do it because you don't have to agree.
Speaker 1: Are you disturbed as I am that it was so difficult for us to find a twenty four hour period, like a Saturday sun up to sundown to implement all this.
Speaker 2: Because we're so busy and we do we work seven days a week that we had to shuffle stuff in different directions. Okay on Saturday, this can go on Friday, and then this can extend to Sunday and then this will just not do anymore. And you know, so we had to like we had to clean the slate and move stuff, and it was very difficult. And I think anyone's going to find that difficult. Like people could be listening to this, going, I work Monday through Friday, Saturday, I go grocery shopping, I catch up on all my laundry. I you know, I do all the stuff. Or her guys might be going, I'm not doing.
Speaker 1: Sunday, We're on laundry or any of the things that you're laying out here ever, right, which which again is part of the problem. We can't find the time to do even these very basic things.
Speaker 2: So you have to say, Okay, if I do all my laundry on Saturday, can I do it on Sunday?
Speaker 3: Or can I do a load on Friday and a load on Sunday.
Speaker 1: First world problems.
Speaker 3: But I'm just saying, like, you have to like squish it out.
Speaker 2: You have to get rid of the stuff that's work, and you have to only keep the stuff that brings you have to Maria Condo, your Saturday you have.
Speaker 3: If it doesn't bring you peace, you got it, you got to give it to the thrift store.
Speaker 1: Now I'm looking forward to it. Though you have more on the historian front there on the.
Speaker 2: Paper, and I could go on and on all It's just a lot of people will argue when they hear this podcast that the Sabbath is no longer biblical because when Jesus died, the law was fulfilled and we don't need to practice it anymore.
Speaker 3: I will argue that all.
Speaker 2: Of the apostles still observed the Sabbath after Christ's resurrection and the apostle Paul, who knew that Christ was the Christ, he knew that he was resurrected. He was literally the apostle to the gentile, still observed the Sabbath after so he knew that the law had been fulfilled, but he still saw the importance in it. So I don't think that Christ came to abolish the Sabbath.
Speaker 3: I mean you could.
Speaker 2: Say, like, oh, we're not damned by the law anymore, but does that make it no longer important? I mean, you can't just go out there and lie, cheat, steel, murder, covet and then take your you know, take your neighbor's wife and his sports car because Christ died.
Speaker 1: And I just felt the degree to it. Like I told you, there was an analogy that was made about people and how we're all so internally conflicted, and that happiness resides somewhere in between what it is that we say we would like to do, or ideally what it is we would like to be doing, with how it does that we spend and redeem our time versus what it is that we actually do. And so few of us actually live out our lives the way that we ideally would like to. And I don't know what the reasoning for that is, whether it be laziness or just distractions. But I'm trying to make that discrepancy as little as I possibly can, because every time we seem to take on more, like I spend a second ago, the broader that discrepancy becomes, it just serves more so as a recipe for not misery, but just some mense and emotional anguish, you know what I mean. Again, I'm not trying to be too heavy handed with like I'm I'm not complaining. I'm very grateful for everything it is that we have in our life, but it doesn't mean that you can't also improve upon things, right.
Speaker 2: I think, Yeah, I think anybody can improve on their schedule and on their priority life, and on their time with their family, and on their marriage, and on their time with their aging parents. There is always somewhere where you can improve. And so I love that we're going to do this. We're going to stick to it, and it's going to be very easy in the beginning before it becomes a habit, because it takes a long time to form a new habit.
Speaker 1: Note, what fears do you have going into this?
Speaker 2: Do you have any my fear going into it is that we're going to be tempted to.
Speaker 3: Put stuff in there that we.
Speaker 2: Go, well, this doesn't really work or it's okay, or oh my gosh, something major.
Speaker 3: Happen, Like we have to monitor this.
Speaker 2: Like so, my fear is before it becomes a true habit and we see the fruits of it in our lives, that we're going to be tempted to cheat or justify how.
Speaker 1: About it qualifying our schedule? Are you afraid of like falling behind, not not just for ourselves and our level of expectation, but with the drawing comparison to others and this feeling of competitiveness. I read through a comment thread on another video that I don't want to res directly about, somebody sort of tried to explain what the experience is of being a quote unquote YouTuber or an influencer and having these feelings of competitiveness in your niche and the audience struck me as being completely oblivious to that fact. Did do you find that surprising at all?
Speaker 2: There are films that entertain you, and then there are films that change you. I Was a Stranger is one of those films.
Speaker 1: Inspired by the real experiences of Syrian families displaced by war. The scripting escape thriller begins in Aleppo with a single moment of tragedy and follows five interconnected families across four countries as their lives collide in ways that they never expected.
Speaker 2: This isn't politics, it's people. It's father's, mother's children, ordinary human beings forced into impossible choices, and it asks the quiet but haunting question when suffering crosses your path, do you step towards it or do you step away?
Speaker 1: With a score of eight point seven on IMDb in over forty international film festival wins, including the Amnesty International Film Prize at Berlinale, this is one of Angel's boldest and most critically acclaimed releases to date. It's intimate, and it will stay with you long after the credits roll.
Speaker 2: Become an Angel member and stream I was a stranger today by visiting Angel dot com, slash and wos. If you're like us and you've lived your life the best that you can.
Speaker 3: You raised your.
Speaker 2: Family and maybe even built something that you can leave behind for those that you love. But the truth is sometimes we are so busy building that we don't take the time to make sure that our family and our legacy are protected. But it's actually quite simple with Trust and Will online estate planning.
Speaker 1: Trust and Will makes it so easy to safeguard your children's future with stronger and smarter estate planning, so that what you spend a lifetime building becomes a blessing and not a burden.
Speaker 2: Now, many of us have unfortunately seen the results of families fighting lengthy probate and costly attorneys when estates are not clearly and legally planned out using a trust, and none of us want to put our families through that.
Speaker 1: That's right, and you can also create a will plan and as little as thirty minutes to protect guardianship of your children and your pets, asset distribution and healthcare directives. Trust and Will products are state specific, attorney design and customized to suit your needs.
Speaker 2: Trust and Will was designed by legal experts and designed to grow with you, which means that you can easily update your plan at every life stage and transition. They also have amazing customer service with the real people, making the whole process so simple.
Speaker 1: So protect your legacy and loved ones today, tomorrow and beyond with Trust and Will. The most trusted name in online of state planning. Just go to trust in will dot com slash New World and get twenty percent off. That's trust and will dot com slash New World.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I don't think the audience cares.
Speaker 2: I think content creators care far more about who's getting more views and oh my gosh, we released at the same time and they have fifty you about what yours.
Speaker 1: Are and following feelings and having these feelings as though you were falling behind, when when really they're completely illogical because the reality of it is, regardless of how drastic a downturn might be, we're still gonna be okay, We're gonna be just fine.
Speaker 2: Also, what you gain is so much more valuable. There's no point, there's no dollar sign on time.
Speaker 1: This is my pa.
Speaker 2: You can't buy more time. You can't buy time, really and you definitely can't buy more time.
Speaker 1: That's why time is more valuable.
Speaker 2: Yes, And so I would say that you just have to be at peace with that. You don't you can't compare yourself to someone doing more than you.
Speaker 1: I was struck by it, I guess because it's it's a very it's a thing like competition in any space, in any industry.
Speaker 3: Yes, sports are like that.
Speaker 1: It serves as a like driving force of motivation, so oftentimes for people.
Speaker 2: In US restaurants, so like, that's why restaurants used to close on Sunday. Shops used to close on Sunday, but then it became, oh well, Joe across the street stays open on Sunday, so we need to stay open on Sunday.
Speaker 1: But I think because in the online world, you don't have anything tangible, it's not like a brick and mortar type of location. I think people are just kind of oblivious to that. But it is a highly competitive space, and that brings about the worst in people. A lot of times it brings up.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it brings about the worst in people. And I mean it.
Speaker 1: This is why we don't. We don't. We just do our own thing. We don't. I don't. I don't. I said this on here before, Like I don't follow any anyone else or anything else in the broader space that we sort of operate in. And the reason for that is I just don't. I really don't care all that much. It's not like it's not I don't. It's not important to me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, you can rattle yourself up, and it can bring about the worst in you because you're like, you know, you're trying to keep up with the joneses and that that matters with cars and yards and the way you people look and the way that people's children look, and who's the smartest kid and who's the best kid on the team?
Speaker 3: Am I doing something? This person outside?
Speaker 1: That's a slippery slope as well.
Speaker 2: And you see that, and it will make you not want to take a day of rest because you'll feel like you're you're falling behind the day, but you're not. You're gaining so much more. And if you gain peace and you gain time and you have these amazing memories that don't involve any distractions. When was the last time you made a memory with kids, grandkids, is your spouse that didn't involve anybody looking at their phone or anything like that. It's been a while, you know what I mean, Like just no phones. You go out to eat, nobody, you don't order, and then as you're waiting for your food, you pull your phone out. And this need to be constantly entertained is stressing us all out.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we all feel it. You and I were talking about the passage of time, and how it all seems to be so like it seems to have gone relatively quickly over the past couple of decades. At the very least, it seems like time is sped up. And I don't think that's just an aging thing, because you know that as a natural byproduct of getting older, time becomes very relative, doesn't it? For me personally? I referenced it to you before we hopped on camera here is that ever since like September eleventh, like time has just been at a warp speeds where you can't comprehend it. When we were in high school in the nineties, you think back to the seventies as being like, oh, this retro thing, like you know, way back in the seventies, twenty years prior to when years we were in high school, and now you have this entire movement I see or even the kids talk about it all. I like about the nineties, and I see all these damn reels about you know, people, what were you like in the nineties or you like in two thousands, and we just had the nineties and two thousands, when in reality that was the same amount of amount of time as it was for us back in the nineties when we were referencing the seventies and the sixties, Right, it just seems like time has sped up tremendously.
Speaker 2: Well, I think the Internet has wasted a tremendous amount of brain space.
Speaker 1: I do think that is a massive part of it.
Speaker 2: We are just literally being lulled through our days and through our lives and through our lives. Yes, doom scrolling reels reels are just oh my gosh, like you could just scroll and scroll and scroll and like.
Speaker 1: And how will pass by? And you're like, what happened?
Speaker 3: What happened?
Speaker 2: And your kids came up and they said stuff to you, or maybe they tried to come up to you, or maybe they went to approach you and they turned around and walked away.
Speaker 1: I was watching long I was watching long care reels, and after the twentieth one, I'm like, what am I doing? What you need to know about when I need to thatch my lawn or airate and what the best means of a fertilization, Like it such a waste as of.
Speaker 3: You know what I'm getting now shabbatchalomreeles.
Speaker 1: Because I went down this thanks.
Speaker 3: It was very helpful. So I think this is going to be good.
Speaker 2: I really really hope and pray that we stick to it until it becomes a habit. I hope it becomes a lifelong tradition for us and our children, and then it brings us peace and meaning, It brings us closer to God and closer to one another.
Speaker 3: I'm very excited about it.
Speaker 2: I think it's going to provide us so many days of hiking and fishing and boating and making pizza, and.
Speaker 1: It's making memories and cherishing the time it is that we have with our kids and each other.
Speaker 2: And so I have a little challenge for you guys. Try try to see if you can find a day. It doesn't matter what day. It doesn't need to be the seventh day, just a day where you're honoring your family, your peace, your mental health, your God, and you're turning off these horrible things.
Speaker 3: I mean, like turning them off, turn your router off.
Speaker 2: If somebody you can have your neighbors over for dinner, like like, oh, we've been meaning to have those people for dinner. If you have a day of the week every week where you're not distracted and you're not toiling over something, you can start to piece back together those friendships and those relationships with your family, and I just think this could.
Speaker 3: Benefit so many people. So I want to hear if any of you guys are going to try it, We're going to do it.
Speaker 2: We're going to go for it. We're going to report back here, you know, after a couple of weeks and see how it's going. But I think it's going to be good. I mean, I can't imagine that it's not going to be a massive blessing.
Speaker 3: I don't know why we haven't done this sooner.
Speaker 1: So starting this Saturday.
Speaker 2: Starting this Saturday, ten am, So if you have a question, ask me before ten am, because then it is.
Speaker 3: But we are turning off we let's just say.
Speaker 1: Get rid of your WiFi and your cell phones, but watch us on and living.
Speaker 2: So watch before ten am and then turn that off and we'll see you again on Sunday.
Speaker 3: Whatever you choose for yourself, whatever is good for you.
Speaker 1: I like, I love the message, and yeah, I would encourage anyone out there kind of having the same feelings and desires that we're expressing here on the podcast to at least consider this. Yeah, I think it's gonna be a good thing, and I'm glad that we're putting it out there publicly. Please hold us accountable.
Speaker 2: We'll report back if you see us online on like a Saturday at eleven or something. If I reply to some especially if I'm if I'm like firing off and someone I have broken.
Speaker 1: Shabbat going to be out of control now between Saturday and if you want.
Speaker 3: To say something real, mean, that's your window.
Speaker 1: Because we won't see it all right, Do you have anything else you want to squeeze in?
Speaker 3: No, I don't think so. I think that's it.
Speaker 1: I hope we didn't come across like two marriage couples therapy ISHU.
Speaker 3: I don't know. I mean we've we've been having a lot of discussions.
Speaker 1: It's been a thing in our household. Like I said, it's been bugging me for quite a while now, being totally honest, So hopefully this will maybe just you know, we can talk this LF as an improvement moving in the right direction. And in the meantime, Yeah, just still incredibly grateful to all of you out there, blessed to have this opportunity. So I don't want to come on here and complain. I just want to be to.
Speaker 3: Make sure that yeah, keeping it real.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, well, we will see you next week here correct ye On that note, you guys take care of a blast week. We'll see you Wednesday.