Speaker 1: Welcome to today's podcast sponsored by Hillsdale College, All Things Hillsdale at Hillsdale dot ed or I encourage you to take advantage of the many free online courses there, and of course I listen to the Hillsdale Dialogue, all of them at Q for Hillsdale dot com or just Google, Apple, iTunes and Hilldalet.
Speaker 2: Clarity matters more than ever.
Speaker 3: This is where common sense meets conviction.
Speaker 4: This is the USUIT Show.
Speaker 3: It is the Friday view Uit Show. Common sense and conviction. I got to bring both of those on a Friday when we're knocking on the door of the weekend. That's it's all order, But I think I'm up for it. Mark Davis, you are usually familiar fill in guy here on the Uuit Show and a whole lot of other places on the various Salem platforms. Welcome and happy Friday to you, no matter what time zone you're in. I hope you're up for a great weekend. I really hope some good things happen this weekend. Maybe I could start off with a list of really good things I would like to have happen this weekend, Like what kind of news would we wake up to on Monday morning to know that it's been a really good weekend. As I offer up some thoughts to you. You can follow me on X Twitter. I still call it they somebody viewed the other day that it's been three years since they renamed Twitter as X. I've called it Twitter every single one of those days of these three years, and I will probably always continue to do so. So whatever you be, you elon sorry on X Twitter whatever. Mark Davis, m A R. K. Davis, shoot me some stuff, I'll take a look at it on the fly and we'll have a little dialogue there in whatever way you please. We're going to welcome Eli Wake later, Matthew Contetti, Tarzana Joe. At the end of the second hour, third hour, as is the case here in Hugh hewitt Land, will be the Hillsdale Dialogues with doctor Larry arn That's fantastic. So what that means is you and I have two hours to see what we can make of them and see what kind of see what kind of conclusions we can draw. So here are a couple that I've drawn, and we'll just sort of see where we are on all the various things in the news. Obviously, we have a situation in Iran that is frustrating. It is not sustainable for much longer. It is always a horrible thing to have a war on a clock, of a war on a calendar, to be sitting here looking at the watch, looking at the days passing on the calendar, and say, man, we kind of need to have this wrapped up by this date certain, And it's not really a date certain. The line that I've often used on the morning show that I host, by the way, that's my real job, my usual daily job. This is obviously part of my real job as well, is morning a morning show host here on six sixty am the Answer in Thriving Dallas, Fort Worth, which you see behind my head. So this very morning I was talking about how the timing might go, and here we are at the end of July. August will soon follow, and that's about it. Because by the time we get to Labor Day, that's Labor Day's kind of the unofficial home stretch, or when we get to the midterms. And that's the other thing, that's the reason why this entire global conflict with Iran that has worldwide ramifications for the American economy, the stability of the Middle East our relationship with Israel, Israel's relationship with its neighbors in the Middle East. There's just important things stacked on on top of important things, stacked on top of important thing, and it all is tied umbilically to November third. It is all tied umbilically to the midterms. So you end up having a kind of a parlor game. I mean, what's more important the stability of the world or the American midterms. I would suggest that that's a false binary choice. I'm going to get greedy. I want a stable world and Republican victories in the midterms, because I view those as inextricable. I don't think we can have much of a promise for a stable world, a reliable foreign policy toward the Middle East, reliable progress in our situation with Iran. If Democrats wind up capturing the House or the Senate, that it is all part and parcel of the same goal. And I don't have this goal only because I'm a Republican, or only because I'm a conservative, or only because I do talk shows for a living and involved in the whole conservative media sphere, but just as an American, as a person, I'd like sanity returned to the Middle East to whatever degree is possible. I know we're not going to turn Iran in Indiana. That was part of the noble intent but flawed concept of what was the so called war on Terror. I will always be thankful for President Bush taking the war f efort to the part of the world that was trying to kill us. I supported it, then I support it on principle now historically in retrospect, but as year after year after year after year unfolded, it became clear number of things became clear. We were and remain a war weary country. We don't like to get into long slogs. We don't like to involve ourselves in quagmires and standoffs of indefinite length. And that's what scares everybody right now, is like, is this another one? And if we do all the things that were that we that a lot of people want to do, that I'd like to do. It all comes under the heading of finish the job. How many times have you heard somebody say that this week, well, what we ought to do is finish the job. Okay, what does that look like? Level what's left of Iran? Turn Tehran into smoldering rubble kill everybody we can find in the IRGC that might be one, that might be one. And if we are not, if President Trump is not of a mind to come in with that kind of heavy foot, do we unleash the Israelis. I've heard about that a lot. Let let Israel do what Israel wants to do, and if they want to take some sufficient action toward Iran that is even more dire than what we've done. And all we do is tell everybody that we've obliterated their military five times a day. And listen, I don't mean to be glib or dismissive about what we have done. What we have done is remarkable, and in fact, amid all of this, let history record and let everyone notice right now that the world is safer today than it was before we started this war effort. As everybody wrings their hands and throws hate at Trump and hate at America for what seems to be a really, really difficult row to hoe waters, to navigate literally straight up hormones. It's all very very hard right now. But do I regret it? I don't do. I wish it hadn't happened. I don't. If one more Democrat says, hey, the street of war moves was open before we even Well, yes it was. And you know what else was going on? Before Iran was within some degree of proximity of having nuclear weapons capability, and now they're not. Iran was able to with relative facility of funnel enormous amounts of money to Hamas Hezbollah, who knows what kind of tear our cells in the United States, and now they are far, far less able to do so for that reason, I mean outright, mathematically, Americans are safer because of the war exactly the way that we have dispatched it. Has it been messy? Yes? Is there an exit ramp right now?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 3: Is it frustrating? Of course it is. Do we wish there was some magic wand we could waive some magic language we could speak. See the languages that we have tried to speak, and I don't mean Farsi. The languages we've tried to speak toward the Iranians are the language of military force. They hear us, but they haven't cried uncle yet, will they ever? I don't know. The language of economic pressure seems to have an audience, but I don't know if it has that audience within the theocratic insanity, ranks of the Iyatolas. The other thing that's really tricky. There's been a lot of opportunities to look at history and look back at the conflicts of our past. I'm old enough to remember all kinds of things like this. Maybe you are too. When when the Russians were a problem, well so, when the Soviet Union was a problem, because the Russians still are. When the Soviet Union was a problem, there was something that we could rely on, if you want to phrase it that way, and that is that they didn't actively want to die, you know, whether it was Brezhnev and drop off Gorbachev, choose your Soviet leader. They did not go to bed at night we willing to entertain the notion of going up in a fireball from the United States because they didn't have the whole you know, talk to Alah Forever seventy two virgins bonus plan that these folks do have that makes them not just ambivalent, but maybe outright enthusiastics, like, hey, if we go up in a ball of fire and a battle with a great Satan, so be it. Well that kind of makes it hard to deal with them, doesn't it. Because there's something fear of being liquidated, liquefied by the American military. That has been a force that's worked towards success in a number of negotiations past. Well, this is not negotiations past. This is a current negotiation that looks really, really vexing and difficult. So how do we proceed through it? We're going to talk some guests. We got some thoughts to share with you, and we're glad to be here with you on the UUs Show, Mark Davis on a Friday stick around, going back to the summer of seventy six, looking fifty years ago, summer of the bi centennial year, the Boys of Starbuck everybody, was there a Starbucks coffee at that time or that been invented? Was there a lawsuit that should have happened? I don't even know. I hope those boys invested. Well that's the one here. I wonder we remember a little moonlight feels right, I'll tell you it feels right. Let's have a chat with Matt Continetti. You can find them on the Wall Street Journal in the hallways at AEI. Matt, welcome, nice to talk to you. How you doing, sir, I'm a newel Mark.
Speaker 4: Good to see you.
Speaker 3: Good to see you. Let's do some things. Let's do some global things, let's do some domestic things, and who knows, we got two segments, let's go nuts. What is your thought as this weak winds down of what seems to be a brick wall in front of us, that is the Iranian regime. I think I saw a pinned tweet of yours that said something to the effect that President Trump's problem is and always has been, the Iranian regime. It's not that he lacks energy. It's not that we don't have talent. We got Rubio, we got all we got all kinds of things going for us. But without an Iranian regime that can be dealt with, this is where we are you. What's your thought?
Speaker 4: Well, I think President Trump has come to the understanding and understanding he's always had that the Iranian regime is not interested in peace and it's not interested in changing its ways. Look, we've had a ceasefire in this conflict technically since early April, and then in June we had the Memorandum of Understanding, and in both cases the Iranian regime said that they would open up the Strait of Hormuz to international shipping, and in both cases they were lying. And soon after these agreements were reached, or in the case of the seafire, president Trump declared the Seasfire. The Iranian Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps, the IRGC, began firing on ships, began firing on America's Arab allies in the Gulf, began imposing tolls, trying to control the flow of energy and fertilizer and other commodities out of the Strait of Hormuz. They were violating in the agreement, and that's why President Trump lost patience. That's what we've been in this now, I think twelve thirteen days of daily and nightly strikes. But I think it's important, and I think that President Trump has also come to understand that a sort of kind of low intensity conflict does not favor a positive outcome for the United States of America and for the world. I think the Iranians are comfortable with the low intensity conflict where they fire one volley of missiles at us, kill a few of our soldiers terribly, and then we respond by firing back, but in a limited capacity. I think President Trump understands that in order to achieve his goals that he's set forth on February twenty eighth when he launched Operation Epic Fury. He is going to have to escalate. He is going to have to increase the intensity of our campaign, and he's going to have to expand the range of targets.
Speaker 3: I think that's very smart, and I think that's something that I would agree with in asking the following question, here's what poisons the water right now, because if we start to talk about the notion of even one boot on the ground or even one more American life lost, and there may be many more American lives lost in order to actually achieve success, the first thing that's going to happen to anybody even asking those questions is they'll be accused of either being a Neocon or a shill for Israel. I am neither. I just want to win this thing because I think it's worth winning. And I don't sit here in caval One of these lives just lost. The young lady grew up ten miles from where I'm sitting in Carrollton, Texas. Every one life is too many, Every drop of American blood is too much. But whether it's the various wars, the various just wars that we've been involved in, or any of a number of other conflicts. Every once in a while, this is what it takes to win. What kind of appetite do you think there will be for what you and I, and whether it's been Shapiro or Donald Trump or Marco Rubio might think as possible to finally get to something that resembles success, and that is ramping up the military effort with something that could come at a cost. Are we willing to pay? Are we willing to pay that cost?
Speaker 4: Pardon the longest, Well, I think I think Mark, as you've just said, we're already paying the cost. So the status quo is not cost free. We've just lost three of our soldiers. The Iranians are not behaving during this supposed time of understanding and ceasefire. So the status quo is costing American lives. The status quo is raising energy prices. The status quo is allowing Iran the space to re arm, to restock, to plot against President Trump, to move its centrifuges deeper underground in the hope one day of restarting the nuclear program. So the status quo carries a high, high cost and simply leaving the scene right now as some of us, as some are urging, would mean that the costs would be higher, because then Iran would move to control the Strait of Harm moves through which about a fifth of the global energy supply and other commodities go through pass through, meaning our energy prices be higher. We have a nuclear program and there's a cost.
Speaker 3: No matter what. So my question was so long it didn't leave enough for you to answer it. Hang on a second, We'll continue with Matt Cottonetty, Mark Davison for you, you at stay here for you, eighty Shipper Snappers, Little Genesis nineteen eighty six, Invisible Touch, title track from Invisible Touch, which was like a top ten album of just forty short years ago. Go figure, Matt Cottonetty is here, Wall Street Journal, AEI, etcetera, etcetera. Matt, let's pivot to that other war, the one that didn't seem like there's enough oxygen to talk about at all. I confess I go days without really thinking about Russia Ukraine. Yet every day it seems like a near miracle that I think it was a near miracle after three four weeks that Russia had not already won. Ukraine should have been a part of Russia, at least the eastern twenty five percent of Ukraine should have been a part of Russia for years now. Why has that not happened and where does that thing even stand right now?
Speaker 4: Well, Mark, the first reason that Ukraine has survived is because of the tenacity and courage of the Ukrainian people and because of the statesmanship of Ukraine's leader, Vladimir Zelenski. Leadership counts for a lot, and the willingness to fight counts for a lot, and nations don't like to be invaded by autocratic neighbors with designs on their territory. The second reason Ukraine has persisted and has survived of this long is because it has mastered the new technology of warfare. And this is the lesson of the Ukraine Russia war, and I think it's also partly the lesson of the US Iran War. Is that warfare is changing and now the new technologies of drones and missiles give an advantage to whichever side masters those technologies, and so Ukraine's drone technology is absolutely incredible. They're able to stop most of the drones that and short range missiles that Russia fires into their country. They're less capable of stopping the long range ballistic missiles. And that's why I think Zelenski is coming to the United States next week, is he is very eager to find a way that Ukraine can be supplied with more patriot missile defenses. But I'd say it's leadership and I'd say it's technology, and that's really the ingredients you need to fight a war of attrition and to possibly win a war down the line. Let's not forget this war in Ukraine has always surprised us, and one of the biggest surprises has been Ukraine's offensive capacity, not just its ability to defend territory, but now it's a capacity to strike inside Russia long range targets, targeting the Russia's economic base that supplies its war machine, and that has created pressure on Vladimir Putin. Make no mistake about it.
Speaker 3: Let's pivot domestically. The midterms are impossible to assess. You can look at it one way and think that ruin lies ahead for the Republicans, but then you look at the clown car that is the current Democrat party and you think that maybe we can benefit from a campaign statement that says, you might not agree with us about everything, you might not even like a lot of what we're doing, but those people are insane. Balance those factors out the DSA. Seems like every bit of conservative media every day is the DSSA has taken over. They're socialists, their communists, all of which is true. But how useful a talking point is that.
Speaker 4: Well, I think that DSA takeover of the Democratic Party, the transformation of the Democratic Party into the Democratic Socialist Party, it's one of the best things going for Republicans these days. There's no question that voters may have favorable views of Bernie Sanders in the abstract or alexandri ocazu Quortez. They might like her live streams. Voters don't like socialism, they don't like Medicare for all, they don't want open border socialism, they don't want to have green mandates stuffed down their throats. And so the socialists rise within the Democratic left provides Republicans with a messaging opportunity, especially in races where you have Democratic Socialists aligned candidates running in competitive elections, and that's mainly it's perhaps in the Senate where we'll see that dynamic play out overall, though, Mark Democrats have a huge Republican have a huge enthusiasm advantage over the Republicans, and so it's President Trump's to get that Republican enthusiasm up. I think that's one reason we're having this midterm convention. And then President Trump he needs to win this war against Iran, and he needs then to convince the American people that this economy is on the right track for Republicans to have a good night in November.
Speaker 3: Indeed, and I think there's such a wide swath of possibilities it's going to make it compelling every day. In our last couple of minutes, it's the question all conservatives must ponder. Have you, Matthew Continetti seen the Odyssey?
Speaker 4: You know? You know, I want to because everyone you do, you well, you know, I want to see for myself.
Speaker 3: That's my child as a reporter, thank you. But that's all anyone is talking about on social media.
Speaker 4: I feel like I have to be a part of the conversation where I'm going to have that feeling of missing out. Well, no, as a you know, as a as a father, I'm too busy driving my kids to places to place.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah, don't tell me your problems here. Here's the reason I goff comically, do you really want to see it? Is because if you trust me on this one, if you see it and you like it, there will be hell to pay. It's a magnificent piece of movie making. Was Helen of Troy really black?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 3: Did I mind lou Pi de Denongo?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 3: Is the whole conversion of Ellen Page into a dude just heartbreaking because of this trans nonsense. Yes, is the casting of her a nod to wokeism, of course, but does it adversely affect the movie?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 3: You got to conduct life in a certain way, that says, am I going to go look it under every rock for something to trigger me. It's exhausting. So I thought it was great. You may you may not, but I just thought it was fantastic.
Speaker 4: Well, I want to see the cyclops. That's the one part that's huge commercial that really gets me excited. So that's the only reason I want to see it.
Speaker 3: It's funny because you got these things that we're kind of familiar with conversationally, Cyclops, Trojan horse. You know what's the Trojan horse. It's a bunch of stuffed into a horse. So that they can be spirited inside the enemy walls. But when you think about how that actually was done with a bunch of guys very uncomfortably stuffed into a horse. And what Christopher Nolan said is, you know what we're gonna do. We're gonna take a bunch of actors and stuff them uncomfortably into a horse. They do it. It's uncomfortable to watch. It's great, but you had been the most valuable thing. You said, go see it for yourself, and I offer that to everyone. See it for yourself. Make your own opinions whatever they are. My opinion is, it's always great to talk to Matthew Continetti Continetti on X on Twitter, Thank you so much, or I have a great weekend. It's a pleasure to have you on the program. That is Matthew Continetti, I am Mark Davis. A couple of words about a couple of things that just came up, so let me share those. It will take a look over there on X and see whatever thoughts you may have for me at Mark Davis m A R. K. Davis in for you on this Friday.
Speaker 2: Stick her out, Listen to nond.
Speaker 3: You know, if we're going to Harold Mick Jagger's eighty third birthday on Sunday, we might as well play something you recorded when he was eighty two, maybe eighty one. This is mister Charm from the Brand New Stones album I Know I correct, Brand New twenty seventh. If I'm counting Stone's album Foreign Tongues, released two weeks ago, two weeks ago. These are crazy times we live in. Chronicling these crazy times, there's nobody better than Miranda Devine over at the New York Post. I was reading her most recent column, which is always a joy. It's about the Smithsonian stuff that we were talking about earlier this hour, and the headline is the Smithsonian reeks of communist ideologies that our founding fathers would be ashamed of. And she writes, if you wondered how communism has grabbed a foothold in the United States, of all places, look no further than the Smithsonian. It teaches that politeness, punctuality, objectivity, and hard work are white supremacy. Not one major exhibit to George Washington of the Founding Fathers, but they do teach that Benjamin Franklin was a vile slave owner who owed his discoveries to his slaves and that Christopher Columbus was a psychopathic killer and racist, and that we live on stolen land. So I'm reading this and I got with Danielle and I said, Hey, maybe we reach out and see if we can get a hold of Miranda Divine and darned if we didn't succeed Miranda. Longtime fan. How are you, ma'am, I'll.
Speaker 6: That's very nice to talk to you.
Speaker 2: I'm great.
Speaker 6: Apart from just trying to chronicle the craziness that's distended on America, this very dark ideology that has no business in America. But apart from that, everything hunky doory other than.
Speaker 3: That, Missus Lincoln exactly right. And it's funny because I feel like some victories are at hand, that some trans sanity, gender sanity, environmental sanity is kicking in in a number of ways, and the Trump era is a reason why. But in the annals of history and museums and maybe we're just starting to shine some light on it, as you have done, as some members of Congress like Brandon Gill have done. My Congressman, by the way, we got a lot of work to do. But there are areas where Wokism and historical illiteracy are just running rough shot, yes, and.
Speaker 6: They have done for a long time, because of course, the Left has a plan and it is the long march through the institutions, and so they've taken over every single institution, whether it be education, museums, you know, you name it, anything that manages to propagandize a new generation of people of Americans into ideas that are very anti Americans, and also making sure they're ignorant about things like the true toll of communism and the greatness of America and the uniqueness of its founding. And none of that is really taught anymore. The kids don't rally around the flag, and you know, say the pledge of allegiance in the morning has used to be common, and instead they're taught evil, false things about America's past. And you know, and I think Americans are very tolerant and are also very self critical. It's a mark I think that I've noticed about America is that, you know, Americans are just very willing to talk about the negative parts of their past because you know, they're always on a quest for self improvement. But that's been taken to a ridiculous extent where all it is is criticism, and the Smithsonian is a perfect example of that. And honestly, when when the boss of the Smithsonian, this woman, Antia Heartig, was being interviewed in Congress or testifying in Congress last week, just the supercilious arrogance of that woman as she was being questioned, and the fakeness and pretending that she couldn't understand or taking notes.
Speaker 3: You know, she is an.
Speaker 6: Ideologue and she's playing out her own white guilt. She's mentioned that, she said that she was brought up in it, or propped up on pillows of privilege and bourgeoisie, and so she's taking that out on the rest of America.
Speaker 3: I was talking earlier about conservative historians versus liberal historians, and I don't mind if a historian brings a certain personal politics to their trade, but as long as it's not fraudulent, as long as it's not deceptive. And is it humanly possible to ask for truly objective historians to be in all at the Smithsonian. What do we do to fix this?
Speaker 6: Well, no, because according to Anthiahartig and the Smithsonian, objectivity is white supremacy.
Speaker 3: Exactly what I forgot.
Speaker 6: And Brandon Gill was fantastic when he after just quizzed her about that. You know, so are you a white supremacist? You know, do you believe in objectivity? And saw or she knew where it was going, and then she pretended she had no idea when you know there has been I mean back in twenty twenty, I wrote a column about this, the White Supremacy Exhibit, because there was a big scandal about it then and how ridiculous it was. And you know, roll forward six years and nothing's changed.
Speaker 3: So last thing, let's let's move from Washington where the Smithsonian is to New York where you live if at thirteen block long homeless encampment there on the west side from the from the Hudson Yards up to the entrapid Museum. Mayor, I mean, it's not like New York fell into ruin the day he took the oath. Things are not looking good in your city. Give me sixty seconds on that and we'll call it a day.
Speaker 6: No, I mean builde Blasio's two terms were absolutely disastrous, and ma'm Dani's come in with a vow to fix everything, but he's not fixing anything. He's making everything ten times worse. You know, even under de Blasia, he didn't have a thirteen block homeless encamp which is growing like topsy. You know, once these things take hold, it's like reverse broken windows theory and all the crime and the prostitution and the abuse of themselves that goes on there. But he's all, you know, live and let live. And yet at the same time he's boasting and threatening and gloating about the taxes that he's putting on the wealthy, who the wealthy are all leaving and this Pierre Chair tax is latest scambit and of course it won't plugged the budget hall, it won't improved any services. And so what will he do next? Will you text there not so rich?
Speaker 3: And then till then Yeah, Miranda, thank you so much at Miranda Divine on AX. Thanks for the great columns, great books like the Big Guy. Pleasure to talk to you and have a great weekend. Man, thank you greatly for being on the program. Right hey, we're closing up to this. It was at proportion that you and I are spending together. Must be time for Tarzanah Joe.
Speaker 1: Next on the UU sho Mark Davis filling in the images coming out of Venezuela are heartbreaking. Powerful earthquakes have left entire community in rubble. Families are already struggling, suddenly lost their homes, apartments, even access to clean water, the necessities needed to survive. Right now, children are sleeping and makeshift shelters. Parents are searching for food, clean water, basic safety for their family. That's why Food for the Poors responding immediately, working through trusted local partners already serving these communities. They're providing emergency food, drinking water, hi gene supplies, other life saving assistance. Relief can't wait. Every hour matters. The people of Venezuela and need our prayers and they also need our help. From your mobile phone, text Hewitt Hgwitt to five to one five five five. Again, text HEWITTT Hwtt to five to one five five five. If you send a text, you'll receive a reply with a secure link where you can make your emergency gift to help the people who have Venezuela Together. We give you the hands and feed of Christ, bring hope, relief, God's love to families who have lost so much. I'm you, Hewitt, and I thank you my friends. You've probably seen the headlines are worse. Your latest bill meg Wireless is raising rates again. That means you could be paying more for the same service or getting pushed into a price your plan you simply do not need. That's not right. You can switch to consumer side of it right now and save an additional fifty dollars when you go to Consumer sailor dot com slash u and use the promo code Hugh fifty And if you happen to be over the age of fifty, listen to this. You can get a single line with unlimited talk, text and data for just thirty five dollars a month. Remember their numbers eight hundred four to one, one forty four to fifty four, eight hundred four to one, one forty four to fifty four, eight hundred four to one, one forty four to fifty four. Consumer Cellular ranks number one for network coverage and for customer satisfaction according to ACSI. And when you switch, you'll talk to an actual human being base right here in the United States. No long term contracts, no inden fees. You can keep your phone or choose a new one, get an additional fifty dollars off when you switch today using promo code.
Speaker 3: Hugh fifty and do not forget.
Speaker 1: If you are over fifty, you get a single line, unlimited talk, text and data for thirty five dollars a month. Visit Consumer Cellular dot com slash Hugh and use promo code Q fifty or call one eight hundred four one forty four to fifty four and use promo code Hugh fifty.
Speaker 5: Every generation must decide whether it will recognize deceeait before it becomes normal. This weekend, Salem News Channels America two fifty film series presents The Fall of Deceit, a sobering documentary on government overreach, faith under pressure, and the cost of abandoning truth. Watch Saturday and Sunday at seven pm Eastern on Salem News Channel.
Speaker 3: Since the final hour of today's hu Heal, A show contains Hugh doing the Hillsdale Dialogues with doctor Larry arn On, Winston Churchill and the Finest Aha. It's going to be great, but that means our minutes together are dwindling. I can't think of a better way to wrap up than this. I've done a lot of hosting for you over the years. Lately it has not matched up sufficiently. Do I get to hang out with Tarzana Joe. But today it does Joe, what a pleasure to hear you and see you. How you doing, my friend? Nice to see you again.
Speaker 7: And I heard you talking with Beck continentally about the movie of the moment. And you know, the Odyssey is a poem that people in California can relate to because personally, I would commute on the four h five and it took me ten years to get home every.
Speaker 3: Exactly related with Matt Damon. Is that sort of the topical foundation for today's poem? Yes, yeah, we're kind of.
Speaker 7: I've read all the opinions, both the glowing and the vicious, about the movie based upon the travels of Auditius. While some call it a masterpiece, a cinematic joy, some say it does to Homer what Ulysses did Detroit. Because I haven't seen it yet, I'll have to take the fifth. I'm guessing that it falls somewhere between a hit and a myth. Now, only seven plots exist in all of God's creation, and endless shelves of books are merely recapitulation. Each generation finds a tale which lives because it's true, and molds it to communicate the current point of view. But the thought that I've been having and the one I want to share it warms me to my muses that so many people care. No poet's been the center of what counts as fair or foul since the flames that were ignited reading leaves of grass or howl.
Speaker 3: And if folks read.
Speaker 7: The Odyssey that fills my heart with hope in Greek or wrought by Wilson, or by Chapman or by Pope. I'm just your humble poet, but it's nice for me to know we're moved by words.
Speaker 3: A poor Bard.
Speaker 7: Wrote three thousand years ago, that's going home on the four or five by tarzaning you home on the.
Speaker 3: Four five, bringing it literally right home. What better musical, poetic, literally poetic theme could we have than a poet weighing in on poetry. Joe, Thank tarzanajoe dot com, author of it. Only hurts when I rhyme. I have a copy. I treasure it Tarzannajoe dot com. Joe, God bless and thank you and appreciate it. Very very bad speaking to your appreciation. Thank you, thank you. We sure will. I want to thank Adam and Harley and Danielle. And there's just like one thing that I haven't had a chance to do. I got sixty seconds to do it. So here we are. I was eleven, fifty seven years ago today as the Apollo eleven capsule splashed down in the Pacific, recovered by the USS Hornet, and then visited by a very enthused Richard Nixon, who's just thrilled that things were going so well in America and they would soon turn so not so good. But what an amazing journey, What a life changing moment it was. As Neil and Buzz and Mike came home fifty seven years ago. Today, as you head home, God blessed, Thank you so much. This wonderful country is here for us all to enjoy. Heugh, it'll be back to a joy on Monday. I'm Mark Davis. See you soon right here on Salem News Channel, Salem Radio Network. Be good,