Speaker 1: Life audio in today's episode of Timeless Worst.
Speaker 2: To God that Judaism introduced to the world exists, not Aristotle's unmoved mover, but the God, the personal God of Judaism, the judging God of Judaism, the merciful God of God of Judaism, than there is an afterlife. To me, it is impossible for a good God, a just God, to have created a world with so much intrinsic injustice and cruelty and not had a working of it out in some afterlife. It is impossible for me to believe that this world was created and the only reality is physical, that the human being possesses no soul that outlives our decrepit skin. It's just it's inconceivable to me on logical grounds. I can entertain atheism intellectually, I cannot entertain belief in God, but no afterlife. It's a God that is alien to Judaism. But again, it's a tape you'll have to get, or an article of mine you'll have to read. I'm about to be gathered to my kid to bury me with my fathers in the cave which is in the field of Efhron. The Hittite, the cave, which is in the field of Mathpela, remember where Abraham and Isaac and their wives are buried facing Mamray in the land of Canan, to feel that Abraham bought from Ephron the Hittite for a burial site. How many of you have been with me since chapter one? Oh, there actually are a twenty or so. That's twenty, maybe a dozen six, no, no, no, about fifteen of you. I'm very touched by that. Do you recall how the Torah went out of its way, almost hilariously, to say we bought the land. The Jews bought the lad Here again it comes back at the very end of Genesis. Let nobody say the Jews got that land in any illegal way. So here it is again, like it needs to be mentioned. The guy is dying, you know, and even now he revites the one we bought and from whom we bought it is mentioned. It is so fascinating. The Torah is so sensitive to the possibility that anyone would accuse the Jews of having that area not totally fairly legally bought. So here it is again. It got a kick out of it seeing it, you know, boys, the one that Abraham bought from Efron the Hittite for a burial site. There. Abraham and his wife Sarah are buried. There, Isaac and his wife Rebecca were buried, and their eye buried Leah. The field and the cave in it bought from the Hittites. In case you missed, boys, when one of you was talking while I spoke, is that funny? I mean, you know when you're when you become aware of it. It truly, it's comical. When Jacob finished his instructions to his sons, he drew his feet into the bed and breathing his laugh, he was gathered to his people. It's very touching. The last chapter of Genesis is not about Jacob. I mean, you know, he could have died in the last chapter, but it's a way of saying, no. The continuum is what happens with Joseph and the brothers. The children of Israel takeover now, not Israel himself. He dies in chapter forty nine. It's very touching that it works that way. And so we go to the final chapter in the Book of Genesis, chapter fifty.
Speaker 1: That's coming up on Timeless Wisdom with Dennis Prager. Welcome to Timeless Wisdom with Dennis Prager here thousands of hours of Dennis's lectures courses in classic radio programs. Had to purchase Dennisprager's Rational Bibles go to Denisprager dot com tonight.
Speaker 2: Incidentally, in keeping with there is a Jewish tradition that when you complete an arduous task in any of the works Talmud or Torah or profits, you have a party. It's called to see you. And I will introduce Alan's parents, who very very very generously in from Salem, Oregon to celebrate their son's fortieth, which is remarkable since they're both fifty have have have decided to to share refreshments with us. That even I brought many bags of Eminem's just in case something had happened to the eestern plans. So we'll have a little informality to celebrate. I really have you have no idea for me personally, This is a very big deal. Three years we've been doing this three years. It is it is very huh say it again? Said then, we only got that's right, three years and the efforts. Listen, it took it took about two weeks or three weeks to do chapter one, if I'm not mistaken, right, wasn't it there quite some time? Yeah? Okay? Uh verse twenty three, Well, uh, Laurie reminds me this is why. Yeah, yes, this is why exactly. That's a very good point, shad uh y okay, yes, that's right, I which is not common for me. Uh uh oh yes, Uh what I s I spoke to you? Uh was it two weeks ago? Uh? The context was It's very important to me that you're not getting a uh uh a MISSI mis apprehension of my own uh judaism. Uh what was it exactly? I was discussing where kosher came up. Do you remember, yeah? Or oh? Yeah? Alright. Did you get the impression that I don't keep kosher?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: No, you did get that, some of you did. Yeah. I eat at non kosher restaurants, but I keep kosher. I mean, I just wanted for the record in case any you know, it seems to have I wasn't clear about that, okay, So just wanted you to know for the record. Okay, we're up to verse twenty three. It is Jacob on his deathbed, literally on his deathbed, and he is giving the suns the final blessings. Okay, twenty three and as I said, I'm gonna go through this. Well, we'll start with Joseph. SOO, right, is that what we're up to? We did nineteen? We did God? I don't remember doing God. I think you're wrong. Yes, I don't think we did Dan either. Thirteen right? Thirteen You couldn't you thought you were one? Was a two forty nine thirteen Zevulun shall dwell by the seashore. He shall be a haven for ships, and his flank shall rest on sidon Is Sahar is a strong boned donkey. Listen, if I read what they had here, you'd have laughed harder as I mean. You know, it's not the sort of thing we tend to say about our kids these days. It's not considered a blessing to call your kid a donkey. But you understand, obviously the animal imagery. Then, crouching among the sheep folds, when he saw how good it was security and how pleasant was the country, he bent his shoulder to the burden and became a toiling surf. Only I'm a few of these. Will I offer you some comments In this regard, Sara writes, it would seem that until the final overthrow of the Canaanite city states in the time of Deborah, later on, the tribe that's Heisahar had been content to perform corve labor, which is like surf labor for the local overlord, in return for a quiet existence. Remember what I told you about the blessings of the tribes, of the children who became the tribes, that this foretells the way they will be. Now you even believe he was telling it in the future, or it's written later and they put the words in his mouth. You choose what you want, but it does describe the reality of the tribes. Later on, Dan Dan shall govern his people in Hebrew, there's a play on words done in Hebrew, which is Dan In English. Dan comes from this means judge to judge la dun is to judge, And so Dan yadin Amo Dan will judge or govern his people as one of the tribes of Israel. And he writes SNA. These two verses may well be unconnected, the next verse being Dan shall be a serpent by the road, a viper by the path that bites the horses heels so that his rider is thrown backward. These verses may well be unconnected, each alluding to a different situation. The first deals with Dan's status among the tribes of Israel, the second with its position visa vi its enemies. Our meager knowledge of the history of this tribe and the elliptical language used here greatly complicate our understanding of the aphorisms and make it difficult to identify the historic situations behind them. Dan is the first of the Concubine tribes to be addressed. This implies a position of importance, a conclusion reforced also by its being the only such to be allocated territory between the Leah and Rachel tribes. Okay, eighteen, I wait for your deliverance, O Lord, very famous phrase, incidentally from the Hebrew leshuwasaki viti other nine. And then we go to nineteen. This is, by the way, Jacob's saying that I wait for your deliverance, O Lord. It is not clear what he is saying. Maybe it's because he sees very problematic things. It is not certain why he interrupts the blessings to say, I wait for your salvation, O God. Nineteen. God will be raided by raiders again in Hebrew at his all play on words godd YGUDENU. Even if you don't know Hebrew. You can hear the play. But he shall raid at their heels our scheres. Bread shall be rich, and he shall yield royal dainties. Nuff tully is a hind let loose, which yields lovely fawns. Now we go to Joseph. Joseph is a wild ass, a wild ass by a spring, wild colts on a hillside. Archers bitterly assailed him. They shot at him and harried him. Yet his bow stayed taught, and his arms were made firm by the hands of the mighty One of Jacob. There the Shepherd, the Rock of Israel, this very famous imagery, the Rock of Israel, the God of your father who helps you. And Shadai, that name I had come across that we had talked about last time, that name of God, which some say is related to breast, Shadaam and Shaddai, who blesses you with blessings of heaven above, blessings of the deep that couches below, blessings of the breast and womb. And indeed Shadaim is there. The blessings of your father surpassed the blessings of my ancestors. To the utmost bounds of the eternal hills. May they rest on the head of Joseph, on the bow, on the brow of the elect of his brothers. Let me read to you from Hurts on the blessings for Jacob Hurts is the Orthodox commentator in the Dreams of Joseph. That's an interesting thing here, talking now about Joseph and referring remember the dreams wherein the brothers bow down to him, which is what started their jealousy and rage and so on. In the Dreams of Joseph, the sun, moon, and eleven stars bowed down to him. It is the stars that bowed to him, and not he to the stars. This is characteristic of both Joseph and Israel. Ain Mazali Israel, says Rabbi iohanan Is. That is a famous phrase in the Talmud. You all heard of the term mazoltov. Do you know what mazeltov means? Literally good constellation? Mazal in Hebrew means constellation. It came to mean luck, which is obviously related. You know, wishing you a good constellation is wishing you good luck. But the Talmud says Am Mazali Israel, there is no constellation for the Jewish people for Israel. Some of obviously in bad times which certainly have been in Jewish history, have simply translated to Jews have no luck a masali Israel. But it literally means there is no constellation for Israel. And he continues in Israelite. This is Rabbi Hurts, an Israelite should be ashamed to blame his star. I mean, I tell you, those of you who know my own attitudes on social philosophy or the current events, would almost think that I were giving you these words. Yet these were written earlier this century by an Orthodox, the Orthodox Chief Rabbi of the British Empire, who wrote the Hurtz commentary an Israelite, a Jew should be ashamed to blame his star, his environment, or any outward circumstance for his moral downfall or his religious apostasy. Man is captain of his own soul, and wherever there is a will to Judaism, there is a way to lead the Jewish life. Isn't that incredible that a you should be ashamed if he acts immorally to blame his environment, or his or his stars or anything outside of himself, And so he takes that from the notion of we don't bow down to the stars, the stars bow down to us, not in an egocentric sense, but in the sense that we do don't bow to stars. That is just that is not the way, and that is why the Jewish way, and that is why it's his interesting Hurts interpretation in these Blessings to Joseph of what Joseph first dreamed of the stars, the moon, and the sun bowing down to him. You would think, of course that that is terribly egocentric, and obviously there is an element of that, But there is a much larger point than Joseph's ego here. The purpose of the Torah is not to teach you about the psychopathological aspects of its patriarchs. It's to teach you a basic idea. Nature bows down to man, not man to nature. And this is particularly relevant in our time, where there is a tremendous amount of nature worship. The basic Jewish and Biblical attitude has been that God created the world everything for us. That is what in the very beginning of Genesis, after all, was when it says you shall you shall rule over nature. It doesn't mean abuse. It obviously not to abuse it. That's taken for granted, but yes, to rule over it. Nature is here to serve us. To make a point that upsets a great many people when I say it on the radio, there is no purpose to nature if the human being is not there to use it, to appreciate it. There is no point to a raccoon's life. The raccoon gives birth, and then there's more raccoons, and then there are more raccoons, and there are more raccoons. But the one to ten thousandth generation of raccoon does it with any differently from the first generation of raccoon. Nothing has been built. It has simply gone through instinctive actions. It has had sex, it has eaten, it has excreted, it has hunted, it has built, it has died. Now, by the way, a lot of people have lived like that. There is no question. And in this regard, Judaism was quite revolutionary in that. And I take this concept from Henry Bamford Parks, a great medievalist at New York University who wrote a magnificent book on the medieval world. It was not a Jew and he said what Judaism gave the world was linear history. All other history all other ideals were cyclical. You go around and around and around. Indeed, that's what karma is. In effect. You come back and you redo it. You redo it, you get it right, and you leave, but you redo it. The idea of history moving forward is a Jewish invention, and it's what gave us a very dangerous idea, namely the Messianic idea. The Messianic idea, the idea of a Messiah who will come, was a Jewish invention. One day the world will be redeemed, this world, even in the highest forms of Eastern religion. And my point is not at all to say they're wrong. It's just to show you a difference. It is not the world, this world, that is redeemed. And I am deep, deep respect for Buddhism, for example, the highest state reached is wherein you have left the world. This world is unredeemable. In Eastern religion and in all pagan religion, the concept doesn't even arise. This world is nothing except a repetition of the last generation, which is the way most cultures lived. They repeated what they did in that regard, not living terribly differently, except on a higher intelligence plane than animals. Animals don't build anything in the next generation. Here I'm passing to you on my son raccoon the following heritage, which I hope that you will build on. The idea is absurd. Obviously, it's not that I'm anti raccoons. Please understand, I have very strong pro raccoon sentiments. The point is not that. The point is that to ask a raccoon to do what humans do is asking you to do what a truck does. You're not a truck, and a raccoon is not a human. I don't anthropomorphosize animals, and I don't mechanize human beings. The movement forward that is a Jewish idea that history should move forward call it's called progress. That the next generation should be better than this generation. That is the Jewish ideal that history has meaning, suffering has meaning, the world is moving toward something. This is all invented in this Bible. It is an idea that is taken over, of course, that is by Christianity, for which reason I am one who does support the concept of a Judeo Christian value system, despite the fact that I fully acknowledge that there are differences obviously between Judaism and Christianity, but the notion of moving in a linear way. And this is not my point. This is Henry Bamford Parks is invented here. We are not determined by nature. That is what the tumut is saying. A mazali is failed. There is no constellation that determines how a Jew's fate will occur. By the way, I have no problem with you getting astrological chart read. Okay, that's okay, so long as you understand it's not determinative. Okay. I am probably more open to astrology than you ever would have imagined. I mean, I'm not closed minded to any readings of the world that aren't going to cause you to either do bad or believe nonsense. Now there are those who say that this is pure nonsense, and that's okay. I'm not going to here to argue on behalf of astrology. I'm just saying I am. You can be a believing Jew and still have your chart read, providing that you don't believe it determines your fate. Especially in terms of moral freedom. Take in a moment. Moral freedom is the core idea of Judaism. You are free to do good, free to do bad, as hurts rights. An Israelite cannot say my environment is what caused my moral downfall. Would that America adopted this attitude today, we would have a far better sce society. Which is which And by the way, it is Jews among others who are among the leaders of those who argue that environment does determine moral downfall. But these are non Jewish Jews. It is not Jews who are serious about their Judaism who believe in the moral determinacy of environment. These are Jews who have accepted some secular views which are antithetical to these views. So this is I just thought it when I read this. Preparing the chapter, I said, my God, look at how it hurts is contemporary? How that you cannot let your environment be held responsible for your moral downfall.
Speaker 3: Yes, certain people are not inculcated any moral values as children.
Speaker 2: And they reported into the Dear Tom, your environment says have something to do right. Well, how does Judaism deal with those who, in moral environment did not teach them morality? Okay? I gave the answer in a much earlier chapter with canaan Abel. This is the beauty of having the tapes. And my point is not to sell you a tape. My point is that I did deal with it very, very briefly, and I would certainly commend it to you. The Canaanable story, for reasons that I can't review now, to me, may clear that Judaism believes that God gave universal conscience. You do not have to be taught that torture is wrong. It helps. But there is a Jewish belief that the most primitive illiterate knows that causing terrible suffering to an innocent is wrong. Now, if cultures have created such a world of evil, that torture is declared good, And that, by the way, is why Judaism, why the Torah would allow for the destruction of the Canaanites. You can get to a point in the Tora's view of such moral decay that it is irredeemable, that the conscience has been effectively obliterated, and therefore there is no hope.
Speaker 1: This episode of timeless wisdom will continue right after this. Now back to more of Dennis Prager's timeless wisdom.
Speaker 2: Two forms of evil. There are two forms of evil societies societies wherein the laws are moral but people violate them. And then there are societies in which the laws are immoral. The second is a society that is irredeemable. The first is redeemable. That's why Jonah was sent to Ninvey. Ninvey did not say thou shalt murder, but there was a lot of murder going on. So he comes to Ninvey. It's a great book, the Book of Jonah. You should take a look at it. And he says repent, and they do, to his enormous surprise, they do, Okay, fine, good idea. Thanks. He's totally shocked. But if you'd have gone to Nazi Germany instead of repent, they would have correctly said, why we are doing what is right? We follow the furre. The only person who need repent in Nazi Germany is someone who is anti Nazi. Get the difference. America has good laws but a lot of bad people in it. That is therefore a society that is redeemable. But a society that calls good evil and evil goods, as with child sacrifice, as which Meso America was filled with, that is not redeemable. So the answer to your question is you get to a point where the culture is so has so obliterated the conscience it had no longer is justified to exist. The Toa's belief is not that we exist in order to exist maybe animals do, not humans, we exist in order to morally progress. If we don't, then we have no right to be. It sounds harsh, but in any event, that's the way, that's the way it would answer it. If you truly would have children who are who are in a culture that has declared torture and murder and rape good, then the the Jewish answer is the culture should should be destroyed. Yeah, you're com.
Speaker 3: Constellation astrology, Like, how to explain the Cabalist with the strong viewing for the numerology and astrology and on your calendars that good as bad as or in the elphet?
Speaker 2: Right? How would I explain the Kabbalists? Though, if those who didn't hear it, if if Judaism doesn't allow for much of this belief in determinative outside stuff, uh, the the the truth is that there are many Jews who disqualify the those who believe in numerology as determinative. That's important as a determinative. There is tremendous belief in gamatria, which is the Hebrew for numerology among Jews, not as determinative, but as as a secret code to studying the Torah. Okay, Uh, you know so that that that's a big difference. Also, you should know that by Jewish tradition, you cannot study the Kabala till you're forty married, have children, and already know the Torah, so that you cannot you cannot be hoodwinked, as it were, by some of the more wild or esoteric stuff. Yep, how do you explain the Testament, Paul?
Speaker 3: Because I am in all good consence to this day when he had killed, proved.
Speaker 2: Her, stating, well, it's not it's not fair to ask a believing Jew to interpret New Testament scripture. Uh, it's it's it's a lesson I learned a long time ago. Uh, any more than it would be fair to ask. Uh. It's it's a little fair to ask a believing Christian because they believe in the Hebrew Bible. That's not my Bible. And and so it's n it's really not fair to Christianity to get an answer from me. Okay, it's really worth asking a Christian scholar, a believing Christian scholar, on that. I I hate to do that cause I love answering questions. I just okay, yes, and possible guilty that act. For example, when you're chi and doesn't know the golden.
Speaker 3: Cap, surely you blame the cat to be after the anxiety blessed, and it's still guilty.
Speaker 2: And you're real good to anything more than you d wait. God punished them when they did what. I'm sorry, the golden cap. Yeah, and why do you blame the environment for that? Well for some years in your pains love right, Well, listen, that's so so seciety. It's still guilty. That's right. The environment does contribute, and you one would have to be a fool to deny that. If the if I, who hold the individual ultimately responsible, obviously want to create a different moral environment because the truth is that that that's the best way to ensure that goodness will prevail. But in the final analysis, you are still responsible individually, So we both agree. I mean, it's you know, I'm not edging. It's it's to say that reenvironment is powerful is one thing. To say it's responsible and you're not is another. It is powerful that will also help you in your question. I hope this is not a denial of the of the of the role of environment. Yeah, let me I'll take this as the last one, because I want to go on American company of innocent.
Speaker 3: How poult basic PHAs from one the secular constant?
Speaker 2: Why why do? I'll answer it? But has something been said that leads you to ask that question? Is it related to? She asked if the concept of innocent until proven guilty is is is biblical or a Jewish or just modern secular Yeah, well you suggest.
Speaker 3: The individuals to take responsibility first and not land the surroundings, the environment, and in a sense we lame.
Speaker 2: We protect the individual and and now discover evidence of most of the environment to group, is a person's guilty. No, No, one is a moral issue and the other one is a legal issue. Well, you could be morally responsible illegally Okay, different, I mean so that that's a separate it's really separate. And yes, in Judaism you are innocent until proven guilty too. Sure, In fact there was in the Talbent there are somewhat more stringent laws which I think actually utopian, couldn't even be enacted in order to find somebody guilty of UH of murder. For example, you need two witnesses plus UH in order to execute them. You have had to have warned the murderer before the act. You know, if you do this, you'll be executed. And he had to respond yet I know, I mean, which is to me ludicrous. So it couldn't have been meant I don't think could have been meant literally it was or or it was simply a way of their saying it was so rare in Israel to have murder that we want. We don't want capital punishment where murder is that rare. But in any event, it was very stringent. You had to find the person guilty based on evidence or else he was innocent. Anyway, I needed to share that hertzy in view with you. It's about both about nature and about constellations and so on. Back to the Tora pleas we are at twenty seven. Thank you. Benjamin is a ravenous wolf. In the morning he consumes the foe, and in the evening he divides the spoil. All these were the tribes of Israel, twelve a number, And this is what their father said to them as he bad them farewell, addressing to each a parting word appropriate to him. Then he instructed them, saying to them, I am about to be gathered to my kin. You might recall this is the term for I will die, and how this was a hint towards the belief in the Torah of an afterlife, that it's not just a phraseology, but actually a belief. I will not repeat this. It was a long session on afterlife belief in Judaism, which exists. I will merely state restate the obvious. If there is a God, this is not all there is. I can never prove that there is a God. It is not provable. But it is a logical axiom that if the God that Judaism introduced to the world exists, not Aristotle's unmoved mover, but the God, the personal God of Judaism, the judging God of Judaism, the merciful God of God of Judaism, then there is an afterlife. To me, it is impossible for a good God, a just God, to have created a world with so much intrinsic injustice and cruelty and not had a working of it out in some afterlife. It is impossible for me to believe that this world was created and the only reality is physical, that the human being possesses no soul, that outlives our decrepit skin. It's just it's inconceivable to me on logical grounds. I can entertain atheism intellectually, I cannot entertain belief in God. But no, afterlife, it's a God that is alien to Judaism. But again, it's a tape you'll have to get, or an article of mine you'll have to read. I am about to be gathered to my kin and bury me with my fathers in the cave which is in the field of Ephron the Hittite, the cave which is in the field of Mathpela. Remember where Abraham and Isaac and their wives are buried facing Mamrae in the land of Canan. To feel that Abraham bought from Ephron the Hittite for a burial site. How many of you have been with me since chapter one? Oh, there actually are a twenty or so. That's twenty, maybe a dozen six, No, no, no, about fifteen of you. I'm very touched by that. The uh do you recall how the Torah went out of its way, almost hilariously to say we bought the land, the Jews bought the land. Here again, it comes back at the very end of Genesis. Let nobody say the Jews got that land in any illegal way. So here it is again, like it needs to be mentioned. The guy is dying, you know, and even now he revit. The one we bought and from whom we bought it is mentioned. It is so fascinating. The Tora is so sensitive to the possibility that anyone would accuse the Jews of having that area not totally fairly legally bought. So here it is again. It just got a kick out of it seeing it, you know, boys, the one that Abraham bought from Efron the Hittite for a burial site. There. Abraham and his wife Sarah are buried there. Isaac and his wife Rebecca were buried and their eye buried leap the field and the caven it bought from the Hittites. In case you missed, boys, when one of you was talking while I spoke, is that funny? I mean, you know, when when you become aware of it, it truly it's comical. When Jacob finished his instructions to his sons, he drew his feet into the bed and breathing his last he was gathered to his people. It's very touching. The last chapter of Genesis is not about Jacob. I mean, you know, he could have died in the last chapter. But it's a way of saying, nolp. The continuum is what happens with Joseph and the brothers. The children of Israel takeover now, not Israel himself. He dies in chapter forty nine. It's very touching that it works that way. And so we go to the final chapter in the Book of Genesis, chapter fifty, Joseph flung himself upon his father's face and wept over him and kissed him. Then Joseph ordered the physicians in his service to embalm his father, and the physicians embalmed Israel. The Sauna makes the point here the text subtly underlines the disconnection of the embalming procedure from any pagan context. Remember that's what the Pagans did. Did we Jews monotheists do what the pagan Egyptians did with embalmbing, So he says, the text subtly distinguishes how by having Joseph intrust the task to physicians in his service, why is there a distinction who did the embalming in Egypt? The priests. See the subtle points that are made here, He got the doctors to do it. I have another thought on the fact that he got the doctors to do In the ancient world, doctors didn't know too much. I mean, let's be honest, they were really had tasks like this to do. I mean, you know, if you went to a doctor in those days, you know, their knowledge of antibiotics was very limited. So you know, it is just funny to think this is what God the doctors they embalmed. Well, at least they didn't kill anybody. You know, you were already dead when you came to those doctors. So it's just I got a kick out of that fact. But I think Sarnis is obviously the more important one. It's not the priest who did it, so it's not a religious procedure. It's almost as if a modern Jew might have a child circumcised by a physician and not by a moel, a circumciser to say, this is not a religious procedure, it is just a health procedure. Okay, it's an exact equivalent, though obviously I would take a different side on that one. In that case, I would want the moel to do it, but at least you'd understand that's the the same exact procedure, but depending on who does it, it has a totally different meaning.
Speaker 1: This episode of timeless Wisdom will continue right after this. Now back to more of Dennis Prager's Timeless Wisdom.
Speaker 2: Verse three. It required forty days for such as the full period of embalming. The Egyptians bewailed him seventy days. So was it seventy plus or forty plus thirty is not totally clear, but not critical to our understanding. And when the whaling period was over, Joseph spoke to Pharaoh's court, saying, do me this favor and lay this appeal before Pharaoh. My father made me swear saying I am about to die, be sure to bury me in the grave which I made ready for myself in the land of Canan. Now, therefore, let me go up and bury my father. Then I shall return. According to Sarna these words, then I shall return. The assurance reflects an undercurrent of anxiety and hints it's something of a deterioration in the situation of the Israelites in Egypt. I think there might there might be just to conjecture another hint of a slight deterioration. It is not Joseph speaking directly to Pharaoh. It is him speaking to Pharaoh's court and having them transmit the message. Though there might be another explanation for that. Being in contact with the dead might have rendered him non pure enough to speak to Pharaoh, which is some of what some of the commentaries that I read offered. Anyway, just both both thoughts from son and myself. Okay, verse six, and Pharaoh said go up and bury your father, as he made you promise on oath. So Joseph went up to bury his father, and with him went up all the officials of Pharaoh, the senior members of his court, and all of Egypt's dignitaries, together with all of Joseph's household, his brothers, and his father's household. Only their children, their flocks, and their herds were left in the region of Goshen, which is where the Jews lived. Chariots too and horsemen went up with him. It was a very large troop. Why the chariots be in case they met with enemies. After all, they were leaving Egypt, that's the theory. When they came to goren Hatad, which were not sure where that is, which is beyond the Jordan. Now I'll reach you something on that. In the moment they held there a very great and solemn lamentation, and he observed a morning period of seven days for his father. I'm sure many of you who are Jewish of the term to sit shiva is the Hebrew word seven. That's all it means. It doesn't mean mourning. To sit seven is what sit shiva means. It is obviously this ancient that it goes back to pre ten Commandments, pre Jews, Jews is Jews even times. That is how old. Apparently the Egyptians even had it some element of sitting seven days and mourning a death. So he observed shiva. That's how old it is. It's remarkable to think when you know somebody doing it now, how old the tradition goes back. I don't want to spend much time on this at all, but I will tell you that it is truly to me one of the wisest policies in Judaism to have people take that seven day period off, and the laws surrounding it are very wise in my opinion, where you basically just sit at home and people visit you, and there are even laws in Judaism about what you talk about when you visit somebody who's sitting shiver, and the basic law is you talk about anything they want to talk about. You don't raise the subject. You let them raise the subject. If they want to talk about the dead, you talk about the dead person. If they want to talk about baseball, you talk about baseball. And by the way, I have been to homes that were sitting shiver where nothing was said. The person literally just sat there, and so did the others. If he wanted or she wanted to be quiet, she was quiet, he was quiet. And it's a very powerful thing too. It's funny because when I have been with non Jewish friends who have lost an immediate relative, it's only for immediate relatives. I have been raised in this environment. I'm always a little shaken by the speed with which my non Jewish friends re enter normal quote unquote normal life. It is to me incredible. You mean you are not taking time off. You've lost your mother, you've lost your father, or your child or your sibling, and you're going back to work tomorrow. You're going to be at the office at nine o'clock. Please understand, it's very normal for people to do this, but being steeped in this tradition. It's inconceivable to me, and I must say that I think there are psychological benefits to it, because it doesn't allow you to be a stoic. Judaism is not stoic stoical, whereas Protestantism, for example, tends to be a stiff upper lip is where you don't wear your emotions on your sleeves. In fact, you don't wear them almost anywhere in some cases where you are very Now there's a great nobility to that, don't get me wrong. And in a country which has made complaining and whining and art, I think we could use a great deal of some Protestant stiff upper lipism and Jews have certainly been in the forefront of the fletchers, which is Yiddish for complainers. So please understand that an excess of either is not healthy. But the idea that you you must mourn, you must take a week out except for the Sabbath when you stop mourning, because the Sabbath must be a happy day, even if it's the day after the funeral. The morning period stops for twenty four hours, but other than that you just stop life. Wait a minute, I've really had a big loss here. Even if you didn't love the person, you've had a big loss. And it let's lets people gather around you and give you support. And it's a very it's a very powerful part of the of of continued Jewish practice. Okay, what what verse? My friend whom? Eleven? Oh? I want to do something on ten. There is a very interesting thing that you wouldn't think is interesting unless I tell you it's interesting. When they came to go goreen Hatad, which is beyond the Jordan, they held a great solemn lamentation. All right, this is the party, right that is going to bury Jacob. Okay, what is beyond the Jordan? Mean? They are going from Egypt to Israel, not yet Israel Kanan, So what is beyond the Jordan? Clearly they did not go from Egypt to Israel via Jordan. I mean it's like, it's not going like this, It's it's absurd. Obviously they went straight up and the geography of the trip verifies this. So what is beyond the Jordan? Mean? Do you know the geograp that I'm talking about picture Egypt, the Gaza strip Israel. Today, if you go from Egypt to Israel. You do not go around the Jordan River, which is the eastern border of the West Bank, okay, or historical Israel or okay, it's I'm not going to get into politics here. You have Jordan on the on the east side, and you have the West Bank and Israel on the west side. Clearly they didn't go around. So what does on the other side of the Jordan mean? This is used by Hertz the Orthodox commentator, to say, you see, this is proof that the Torah was written by Moses. Moses is, by Jewish tradition, the writer of the Tuah. To Moses before he dies, what is the other side of the Jordan? Israel? He is on the eastern side of the So he is now talking about he is talking here and saying, oh, where did they go? They went to the other side of the Jordan. It makes no sense any other way except to a reader who's on the eastern side of the Jordan. So that's his argument for the Mosaic authorship of the Torah. Just wanted to offer that to you as an interesting I'm not saying it's incontrovertible. I'm merely offering to you it does mean. I mean it is clear that to the reader, then that sentence itself is contemporaneous with the jew on the other side of the Jordan. Otherwise it wouldn't make sense. It would have been here and they moved here if it was written by somebody in Israel. Okay, all right, we go to number eleven. Finally, and when the Canaanite inhabitants of the land saw the morning at God and huh todd, they said, this is a solemn morning on the part of the Egyptians. That is why it was named Aveil mitzrayem Avail is to mourn which is beyond the Jordan. See once again, Thus his sons did for him as he had instructed them his sons. His sons carried him to the land of Canan and buried him in the cave of the field of Makpela. Guess what's going to be coming up, guys. It has to be the single most repeated point in the Torah. Yep here it is the field there mam Rey, which Abraham had brought for a burial site from Fron the Hittite. There must have been some lingering problem to have closed the massive repetition. I think we got the point the first six times. That is my reaction, but it is. It is charming, if nothing else. After burying his father, Joseph returned to Egypt, he and his brothers and all who had gone up with him to bury his father fifteen fifty, verse fifteen. When Joseph's brother saw that their father was dead, they said, what if Joseph still bears a grudge against us and pays us back for all the wrong that we did him. It's which is a very interesting thing. Obviously, it doesn't mean when they literally saw their father was dead. They knew that he was dead. But they're saying, when you know now that he was dead all of a sudden, can you imagine this is seventeen or so years later after meeting the brother and they are now still afraid. Maybe the reason that he didn't hurt us for selling him into slavery is because Dad was still alive. Isn't it incredible how long talk about punishment, that Joseph didn't have to do a thing for the brothers to be punished. This is about as self evident as you can get. Uh, oh, that is dead. We're finished. Now he can do what he wants. He was not hurting us because Jacob was still alive. So verse sixteen, this is really remarkable. They sent this message to Joseph. They didn't even want to, They didn't want to appear before him in person. They sent this message to Joseph before is dead. I don't know, I don't know why, but generally we say dad, right or our father, your father. I'm gonna do this. I'm gonna call my brother tomorrow and say, you know what your father told me the other day, and he'll still flip up. He'll think, you know, I've gone nutty again. But you know, you have to realize what I mean. It is very interest thing that they use that language. It strikes me as so obvious that they're reminding him your father, to whom you owe allegiance first, As one medieval Jewish commentator at Ravnel pointed out, they make no petition on the basis of brotherly love or brotherly duty. Solely the most primal your father, Joseph, your father. Your father has asked the following. Okay, your father left this instruction, So shall you say to Joseph forgive I urge you the offense and guilt of your brothers who treated you so heartily. Therefore, please forgive the offense of the servants of the God of your father. That is the other way in which they get him to try to forgive them by invoking God, first your father and then the God of your father. Now, before I read the next sentence, this is all beloney. The whole thing is a lie. I mean, you know they made this whole scenario up. In fact, it is clear from the Blessings at the end that his whole life till he died. In other words, Jacob never knew what his sons did to Joseph. Isn't that fascinating because of course he would have made reference to it in the Blessings. He made reference to the way they treated the Chemites, remember Shimon and Levy, no reference, totally oblivious, did not know what happened, or are knew and didn't want to ask, you know, like parents can suspect all parents have this. There is no reason to tell me, darling is an attitude that you have, for example, perhaps to your single daughter. I don't want to know all the details of your social life because I will die if I find out. That is a very common fatherly and motherly thing. You know, you don't want to know everything. My suspicion is that he did not want to know. I mean, he could have, you know, he could have pursued what exactly happened to Joseph that you know, he turns up alive at the end of my life? Where were you? How did you get there? We have no record of that whatsoever. He didn't ask and they didn't tell. So they make up what the rabbis called a white lie. The rest of us might call a total law. I mean, when you when you manufacture something out of whole cloth, it's fair to say it's a lie. They they made this whole thing up. But it's a very interesting thing about how the Jewish tradition deals with this lie.
Speaker 1: This episode of Timeless Wisdom will continue right after this. Now back to more of Dennis Prager's Timeless Wisdom.
Speaker 2: I will go to Plout for this one. This is different from the Catholic tradition. Incidentally, this is from the Talmud. First Plout, the brothers told Joseph about Jacob's last instructions, of which, however, nothing is recorded, said Rabbi Ela. This is in the Talmud, a person may tell a white lie for the sake of peace. Rabbi Shimon ben Gamliel taught greatest peace for even the tribal ancestors resorted to a fabrication in order to make peace between Joseph and themselves. This is a fascinating issue which I won't spend too much time on, but it is very relevant to our understanding hold on. The Jewish tradition is very very much context oriented in assessing the morality of an act. I refer you to another article of mine. No act is always wrong. In the past issue of my journal, lying is not always wrong, it is usually wrong. And the same can be said about killing, about stealing, about anything in fact and literally anything the context that's not moral relativism. This is a common misconception which is plained havoc with morality in our time. To say that context determines an act does not undermine moral absolutes. It's just you have to know what the absolute morality is in any given context. Here, as I said, the Jewish tradition differs from Catholic teaching. I've learned this from Catholic priests, for example. I remember this from religion on the line. Quite a number of times when people say, what do you mean it's okay to lie? Sometimes I'll say, here's my example, and I've given it one hundred times. A man is chasing a woman whom he intends to rape, and he asks you where did she run? I want to rape her. It would seem to me and to my religion that you have to lie to him, Tell him she ran over there. The Catholic tradition holds that in no circumstance can you tell a lie. What you can do is him around the truth. He says, well, you know, it's you know, it's not easy to really know exactly and you know, or whatever they might say, but lying is absolutely wrong and always wrong. I'm not going to again. The point is not to say I have a better religion. It's only to show that there is a distinctiveness in religious treatment of certain subjects. Here is an example, the Jewish tradition that the brothers did a good thing for the sake of family peace. They're saying in the Talmud. The rabbis are saying, it's okay to tell a lie. Now. What they mean, of course, is that there are a hierarchy. There is a hierarchy of good in life, truth being incredibly important. The Torah itself says mitvark tkak. From a lie, you must you must from a word of lying, you must remove your make yourself far to be literal, put great distance between you and a lie. In fact, you mentioned numerology. You'll find this a great example of it. The words for truth and for a lie in Hebrew are very interesting. The word for truth is shech er, which is the next to last, third to last, and fourth to last words in the Hebrew alphabet alphabet shin kuf raich okay, and which is actually kufrashin as it happens, but they're the last three. And the word for truth, ammet, is the first letter, the middle letter, and the last letter. Truth encompasses all all things. The lie is a tiny, tiny bit of reality. It's just an interesting use of words, and I don't think it's completely coincidental, but who knows. Be that as it may. The Jewish tradition allows for this in cases of shalloon bay it peace in a home. Their rabbinic value of home peace is so great that you could tell a lie to keep it. Now, remember this has nothing to do with the government, Okay, This does not allow lying on macro. This is very micro to preserve the peace of a home, which shows by the way, you know, we are now becoming aware of how much, for example, how much child abuse and how much wife beating there is in the world, and for that matter, tragically in our own society. Clearly this has always been the human condition. Tragically that the rabbis would pick specifically shalom buy it peace in a family, in a home to be the thing you could lie for. Gives you an idea of how they loathed intra family violence and so it was. It gives you a lot of ideas what they built up on this. The brothers lied, you would think the tradition would have said, because the tradition has no problem in criticizing I've told you this many times. The Jewish tradition has no problem in criticizing anyone in the Bible, from Moses to Abraham. But in this case they defend the brother's outright on the basis that I just cited. Yep, you hear us.
Speaker 4: A look at it.
Speaker 2: They're just trying to protect Yes, you're right, but fine, they're trying to protect themselves. But they're also trying to protect the family. You're right, it's not a selfless act of untruth, but it's an untruth that preserves the ability of the family. I mean, what if it were true that Joseph had plans to kill them or to make them all slaves. Was it not worth their telling this? Dad said that you shouldn't hurt us, even if it is self serving. Yeah, he did, he understand is the saving device that Joseph knows their honey, and they're actually asking for forgiveness to stay their face. They use their and your personal thing that your dad said and did. Everyone knows what's going on. I don't think everybody knows what's going on. Oh, I'll tell you why Joseph cried in a moment, And to me, that proves that he didn't that he didn't fully know all the things that were going on or or or or or actually it might be he knew what was going on. Well, I'll tell you the next sentence is he cried. I believe he cried. Others may have a different interpret I think he cried because he realized, you guys are still worried. Seventeen years you're walking around thinking that when dad dies, I am going to hurt you that I'm still walking around though I am the Viceroy of Egypt, I'm still walking around angry at you, even though I know God is the one who got me here, which is exactly what he's going to say to them. That's why he cried, I feel terrible for you. You're walking around with this awful burden. I bet you many of you have had that with a loved one where after years or somehow you found out that they had a burden visa vu that you never even think about. It makes you cry. Oh my God, I wish I only knew I could have relieved you of that burden ten years ago, and you're still walking around with it. So that's why I think he cried. Yep.
Speaker 3: Well, in that context, if you read the next two sentences afterwards.
Speaker 2: Where where Joseph.
Speaker 3: Have to buy their life, because from his point of view, he's saying, I know you to be evil, but God be needed that way.
Speaker 2: He says, God meant for to all come out for good. Right, So in that context they find it really interesting.
Speaker 3: Is the rail life interpreted what the brothers did as a lie for the purpose of Sholong life when it seems like a ball faced life or of you know, self preservation.
Speaker 2: Against Joseph, Well, that's what I said, though I said he even if it was a bald faced life of self preservation, that still is peace in the family. I mean, the fact that it isn't altruistic doesn't make it less important. It It is possible to be self serving and do the right thing. It's also possible to be altruistic and do a terrible thing. So why I prefer capitalism which is self serving, to socialism, which is altruistic. The results are more altruistic among the self serving economy than it is a in in the in the altruistic economy. Couldn't he have cried because it brought back memories of what they had done the aim? Might he have cried because it brought back memories of what they did to him? I think at this point, after about eighty years in Egypt, that the guy is not walking around with all these scars. Can I ask you something about the embomding to the factor?
Speaker 1: Something they talked about the emboming in here, and my knowledge Jews don't are not.
Speaker 2: Supposed to be right, so I wonder, Yeah, the purpose was to preserve him only for that burial. There also, there is no question that they adopted some of the practices of Egypt.
Speaker 1: And why don't we involved there?
Speaker 2: Why don't we embalm? I don't know the general answer. The probable general answer, unless there was an absolute specific that I'm missing, would be that the body is supposed to return to the earth, the body itself. Judaism is intense about acknowledging that we die. That is why it is so quiet about an afterlife, even though it affirms it. The moment you talk about the next world, people filled with pain in this world will just focus on it, which on which, unfortunately is precisely what happens in our world now. So embalming is a statement that Ah, the body will continue in this journey to the next world. That's not the way it works in Judaism. The body goes back. You're dead. Death is death. Yes, yes, it's an interesting point. Is is it possible that that he that Judah got a better blessing because of because Jacob knew that he had played this this positive role. It's it's possible. It's possible, And he didn't say anything. You're right, I did mention that. Uh, but there were other reasons for Jude as well. Judah did become the spokesman of the brothers and the leader. Also, depending on when exactly it was written, by that time, Judah became very By a later time, Judah was in fact the leading leader tribe. Yes, I mean admire the way scream. Who will make that to your wife? Whatever? Well, we tell it all the time. I assume that if your if your daughter is going to the prom and she is overweight and she says, how do I look? Mom, You're not gonna say plump? Okay? I why not? If you're going to be a truth teller, you have to say, well, quite honestly, darling fat, But for the sake of preserving peace in the home and many other reasons, you're gonna say you're gorgeous, my dear. That's a perfect example why that's not superficial piece. Oh there there are. There's all sorts of things you might you might you know, listen. I don't want to get too specific because it would end up auto biographical, because I don't know your family nearly as well as I know mine. I can tell you, though, as I I as a lu to it earlier, that it is a very rare parent who wants to know all the details. And it's a very foolish child who tells every single detail even though they know that it is not necessary that the parent knows it and it might hurt them. As I said about their sex life, for example, it is just not necessary to tell that. There could be any number of things. Kids who are who don't follow in the exact religious ways of their parents, for example, do they have to announce it to them. I run my home differently than you do, mom, you do Dad, and hurt their feelings. There are not certain acts that you might put on to keep your parents happy when they visit, or vice versa. Oh, I think for family, I mean is it is a ludicrous principle let it all out, totally absolutely true. It's also ludicrous to lie about everything. That is why my favorite thing in the human species is common sense, which is Mark Twain noted is a misnown It is not common at all, and that's a very rare You have to know when it is foolish to just live and act. On the other hand, to let it all hang out. Hey, you know why you know I slept with last night? Me and mother may not want to know. To be perfectly honest, Okay, you're you know, you're the single daughter, and you're and you're you know, you're sowing your wild oats. May not be the first thing that she needs to know. So uh, that's these are these you know, and and you all have I have no doubt every single one of you has fibbed for the sake of family piece at some point. It is inconceivable to me that you haven't. And I find it touching that the Rabbis use the white lie only for that Shalom buy it peace in the house, because and as I said, if that doesn't illustrate the antiquity, the oldness of family violence, then nothing does. Okay, So here's the brothers and the white lie idea we are So then he cries, what am I up to? Eighteen? And Joseph was in tears as they spoke to him. And for the reason that I believe you may have another reason, I think mine makes sense. His brothers went to him themselves. You see. Now, they went directly after they got the word to him, flung themselves before him, just as the dream predicted a long time ago, and said, we're prepared to be your slaves. But Joseph said to them, have no fear. Am I a substitute for God? Now listen to this. Do you know I'll give you a I will give a bubblegum cigar to anyone. I know you're all dying to have one, anyone who can tell me when else? And Jenis did somebody say the exact same words, am I a substitute for God? And not Canaan Abele with Sarah and Abraham go on say it. She started blaming him for not having a baby, and he said, am I a substitute for God? What are you blaming me for? Here's a classic example of where the Rabbis take context. They blamed Abraham for his outburst at his wife. Here the same words are used, am I a substitute for God? And it is a perfectly appropriate usage. Context determines everything. Everything he is saying to them, am I a substitute for God? Now? I can't blame you God. God engineered the whole thing, intended it for good. Besides, although you intended me harm, you had to rub it in a little bit. He is human. God intended it for good so as to bring about the present result. The survival of many people, which is an interesting thing. The obvious implication would mean that it was the Jewish people, right, but it could also be Egyptians. He saved innumerable Egyptians from starvation. So it's an interesting We don't know exactly, even though I'm sure that the tradition would hold that it was that it was the Jewish people, and so fear not, I'll sustain you and your children. By the way, this is another example, Sarna says of where there's a slight deterioration hinted at between relations of relations between the Egyptians and the Jews. He says, I will sustain you, not egypt will. At least they use that as a hint. Take it as you will. I will sustain you and your children. Thus you reassured them speaking kindly to them. I need to read you something about kindly plout.
Speaker 3: On this.
Speaker 2: The rabbis talk in mid Rush about how kindly and good Joseph was to his brothers. Here, he who shows himself merciful to his fellow men proves thereby that he is a descendant of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob, and he who is cruel to his fellow men, proves that he is no descendant of theirs. It is a very interesting thing, are their traits? Do different peoples have different traits? Now, while I always believe in the sanctity of the individual, and that you can never say, oh, this individual is a member of this group, therefore has the following traits, that's pure racism. It is also silly to deny that different cultures produce different characteristics. And it is an interesting question when Jews have self defined themselves, what did they find was their best trait and what they found was their worst trait? The worst trait is, as it's in the Arif, an extremely stubbed people, which is a fair statement. The positive trait that Jews assigned to themselves was merciful rachmana benet rachmanah merciful children of merciful ones. Now that every Jew is merciful, of course nonsense, obviously not. But it was an interesting thing of the Rabbis to isolate that trait. If you're cruel somehow or other, you can't really be a Jew. That's what they're saying in in the Tumut. It's so if you're if you lie, if you have committed adultery, if you steal. Unfortunately, we certainly won't say you're not Jewish. If you're tricky, if you complain a lot, Okay, if you start a lot of different movements. That's my addition. You know, we're certainly not going to say, boy that that that rules you out. But if you're sadistic, if you're cruel, if you love cruelty. The Jewish self description has been that you can't really be a Jew, and and I it's it's it's a touching one and I think I think there is some truth to it. And I am very critical of Jews, as many of you know, but I think that there is some truth to this. Uh, it is not a you know, Israel has been at war many times. I don't think an army in history has raped and pillaged as little as the Israeli army has. It just didn't seem to be part of their constitution. I mean a lot of miserable traits and so on. And I am very wary about talking like this because I so loathe any racial type of thinking. And I don't believe this is racial. I just believe that certain characteristics may be engendered. For example, Peter Singer points out, and I certainly have problems with his book Animal Liberation. He goes too far, in my opinion, But he does make a point, and I don't mean this to be critical, I mean it to be descriptive, how he says, and he can't stand any religion, so he's not making a pro Jewish point here. But he says a while he has a lot of problems with the Bible, at least the Hebrew Bible is filled with laws on how you treat animals, where as he said, the New Testament is silent on that issue. Say that, I mean, Protestants founded all the societies for the prevention of cruel to animals, and their record is beautiful in so many areas. So please, you know, don't take this it all the wrong way. But for example, cruelty to an animal is very alien, and that to the Jewish consciousness. There is a story told, and even if it's not true, it is it is interesting that the story is so widespread of a Jew in Poland who was taken away by the Nazis to be gased at Auschwitz and who yelled out of his train to a neighbor, a Polish neighbor don't forget to feed the chickens. That as he is boarding the train he remembers about the animals that he left that he had in his village. Even if apocryphal it is, it is a self descriptive story. And I have resonated because those of you who know me at all know how much I speak about the absolute critical importance of goodness. I attribute that to my Jewish upbringing, to my being steeped in Judaism in the healthiest way. There is a very unhealthy way to be steeped in Judaism, as could be for any religion.
Speaker 4: So I know that.
Speaker 2: But this massive emphasis, and by the way I think it is, it is so much so that a lot of Jews have taken the compassion thing and have overdone it, where the government becomes compassionate, whereas the government should be just an individuals should be compassionate. But that Jewish predilection to compassion, even when I think it's misguided, as I think it is so often in political life, derives from this self definition. You know, take it as you will, but it is. It is. At least it's interesting to see how people define their own selves or their own religion and that's what the Rabbi spoke of here, and his goodness to his brothers merits Joejoseph the great title of Josef haTzadik, the only Jew in Judaism history who had in biblical history given the title sadik. Absolutely righteous one is Joseph. If you don't say Mosha haTzadik, you don't say it about Moses. But it is said about Joseph, and it is over his goodness and especially to his brothers. As you can see here he cried for their pain. That that's what really is happening in the final chapter of Genesis. It's very very touching. What verse am I up to twenty two? So Joseph and his father's household remained in Egypt. Joseph lived one hundred and ten years. Interesting in Judaism it's one hundred and twenty. You know, you say you should live till one hundred and twenty. In Egypt it was you should live till one hundred and ten, and so he lived the Egyptian ideal number of years. I have to decide with the egypt view. Frankly, one hundred and twenty is a little too long in my opinion. Joseph lived to see children of the third generation of Ephraim, the children of Mahir, son of Minashe were likewise born upon Joseph's knees. That length, Joseph said to his brothers, now couldn't be his brothers literally, they by this point are probably dead. He was the youngest, and he's one hundred and ten, so unless i Iman the youngest ecept for Benjamin. But he's younger than all of them except Benjamin, and he is one hundred and ten, So it obviously has to be is the tribes. I am about to die. God will surely take notice of you and bring you up from this land to the land that he promised on oath to Abraham, to Isaac and to Jacob. So Joseph made the sons of Israel swear saying, when God has taken notice of you, in other words, when God Odd is ready to take you out of Egypt, you shall carry up my bones from here. The prelude for the Slavery is now being set, as well as the Exodus and the final verse of Genesis. Joseph died at the age of one hundred and ten years, and he was embalmed and placed in a coffin in Egypt, to which when you finish a book of the Torah in Judaism, you say, Kazakh kazakh venit kraaseik, may we be strong and strengthen each other. And I am thrilled to death that I have finished the Book of Genesis with you, thank you very much.
Speaker 1: On Tomorrow's Sunday fireside chat.
Speaker 2: What I don't understand is I hate world music. It bothers me. I feel like it's a cop out. It's like reggae with more people, and I just don't like it.
Speaker 4: So if I was attending a college and they were going to have a world music festival, I would simply not leave my dorm that day, or I would go to.
Speaker 2: The park and study. But I wouldn't feel.
Speaker 4: Threatened, and I wouldn't try to shut down the concert. I would just announce that I will not be attending because I don't agree and don't enjoy.
Speaker 1: Join us tomorrow to hear more on Timeless Wisdom with Dennis Prigger. Visit Dennisprigger dot com for thousands of hours off Dennis's lectures, courses in classic radio programs, and to purchase Dennis Prager's Rational Bibles. We want to take just a second to thank the team at Life Audio for their partnership with us on the podcast. Go to lifeaudio dot com to find dozens of other faith centered podcasts and their network, including shows about prayer, Bible study, parenting, and more.