Speaker 1: On today's episode of Timeless Wisdom.
Speaker 2: If you speak to secular people, they'll always challenge religious people, Hey, how can you be religious? Look at all this evil? How can you believe in God? There are kids with cancer, and they're right. Those are legitimate questions which religious people should struggle with you. But what if you turn it around and say, Okay, I have to struggle with kids with cancer, But do you have to struggle with kids with no cancer?
Speaker 3: You have to struggle with the fact that there are a kids period.
Speaker 1: That's coming up on Timeless Wisdom with Denis Prager. Welcome to Timeless Wisdom with Dennis Prager. Here thousands of hours of Dennis's lectures, courses in classic radio programs, and to purchase Dennis Prager's Rational Bibles, go to Denisprager dot com.
Speaker 2: We are up to Genesis thirty two, isn't it huh?
Speaker 3: Whizzing right along? That's correct?
Speaker 2: Well, listen, there are fifty chapters in Genesis, and what's been our rate about a chapter and a half a time? About so there are after today, hopefully there are thirty. There were sixteen chapters left at a chapter and a half, that is twelve sessions now, so we will finish Genesis, god willing this year and within the coming semesters.
Speaker 3: That's dramatic. Now I will be I tell you this.
Speaker 2: Anybody who will have gone through the entire Tora with me, I will present a personal I tell you what, I will take you to lunch. Okay, I will take anybody who lasts through the end of Deuteronomy. Of course, I may end up bringing your great grandchildren to lunch. You may end up coming in a walker. Hey, I may end up coming with a walker, you know. But yes, Jerusalem, Cairo, where Shahem Bethel, right wherever it will be. But that's a promise, okay.
Speaker 3: Chapter thirty two, All right, yeah, pretty good? Hello, all right, everybody's getting up early again. Here we go. Chapter thirty two.
Speaker 2: Early in the morning, Laban kissed his sons and daughters and bad them goodbye. Then lave On or Laban left on his journey homeward. And we're done with lave On here in this tremendous amount of problems that Jacob has had, and God spares him.
Speaker 3: And all the sheep.
Speaker 2: And you recall all of that from last time. By the way, who are the sons of Laban whom he kissed. We thought he only had daughters, right Ley and Rachel, so it means sons in law. His son in law is Jacob, so it's not sons in law's.
Speaker 3: It refers to grandchildren as well. That's who it refers to.
Speaker 2: Just want to keep you on your toes when you look at the stuffs. Verse two thirty two. Jacob went on his way, and angels of God encountered him. When he saw them, Jacob said, this is God's camp camp and hebrews mahnette, and he named it mahanaim, which is like plural of mahanette.
Speaker 3: Very interesting.
Speaker 2: We're going to talk a little today about angels of God and what that means and who they are, because it's a real issue. Who are malachim In Hebrew, the word is mauach Any of you Jews who have sung a very famous song Shalom Alehem on Shabbai night shah loo male then it's mala hey hashaha eight shallo malehm peace unto you Malachy hashareh, the the angels of service Malachy eleone, the angels of above. It's a very famous melody that almost all of you who are Jewish, I suspective heard at least once where you welcome in the Sabbath angels.
Speaker 3: The trouble is that angel.
Speaker 2: Is an English word with very specific connotations. In Hebrew, the word malach means something else, and it means more so messenger.
Speaker 3: It will become very relevant later when we come.
Speaker 2: To one of the most famous portions in the Torah of Jacob's wrestling.
Speaker 3: And whom does he wrestle with? Will work on that, But I just want you to be aware of the term here, that this can be translated as messengers of God just as much as it can angels, at least even more so.
Speaker 2: Verse four, Jacob sent messengers ahead to his brother Esau in the land of say Ere, in the country the country of edme where is this, those of you who are looking, when you'll get the map, please look for say here. It'll be down south today it would be Jordan, southern or southwestern Jordan.
Speaker 3: That's where he's living.
Speaker 2: And this is also an ancient enemy of Israel, Adome. So this meant a great deal to ancient Jews later than the Bible. But to ancient Jews what it meant Adome. There's also a play on words here say, here is the name of the place. In Hebrews sayar means hair. So we're back to good old Esau again. Remember, you can almost have forgotten him with all the travails of twenty years with Laban that Jacob had.
Speaker 3: And here we have the.
Speaker 2: Eddon also means read, so we have all the characteristics of Esau mentioned in where he lived. That's the help of knowing the Hebrew. There play a lot of plays on words. So we're back with Esau. Esau has had twenty years to nurse his grudge against his brother, and his brother Jacob is well aware of the fact that Esau does not have a picture of him hanging in his home, probably and instructed them this.
Speaker 3: Is a go.
Speaker 2: By the way, here's a good example of what I said, the Hebrew for messengers. You all have this as messengers right now. Here's the problem of Hebrew and translation. As little you can do about it, but I'm here to tell you about it.
Speaker 3: Notice that the verse two it says that Jacob went on his way in angels of God encountered him. Right, the word for angels.
Speaker 2: Is the exact same word as the word for messengers in verse four, So you can either have U and Jacob went on his way and messengers of God encountered him, or you can have Jacob sent angels ahead to his brother. Now, obviously Jacob doesn't have angels working for him, at least not in this sense. But you must understand therefore that messenger of God is the better term than angel.
Speaker 3: Okay, by the way.
Speaker 2: There's another good example of that. I may have mentioned this to you, and that is profit. Prophet is a bad term for the Hebrew Novi, you know the prophets profit to any of you imply someone who tells the future. That's not what a prophet's task was. A prophet's task was to be a spokesman for God. Nave means spokesman.
Speaker 3: And if we had better translations, it would be better. We would be more, we would have a more accurate understanding of what's going on. If we spoke of.
Speaker 2: Jeremiah and Ezekiel and Hoseiah as as spokesman, you'd have a much better idea of what they are than prophets. And likewise, messengers, God has messengers. Angels too is too disneylandish in a certain sense. So please note that the same word in Hebrew from messenger and angel.
Speaker 3: And here is just two sentences away.
Speaker 2: It's Jacob sending messengers to Asov to Esau, his.
Speaker 3: Brother in the land of Seherant.
Speaker 2: He instructed them as follows, this is what you will say to my lord Esau. Thus says you're a servant, Jacob. Is this not cracking you up? You cannot get more obsequious language if you tried, don't, for these are the words you better use when you meet my brother, to my lord Esau and your servant, Jacob. Now, I meant to tell you something more.
Speaker 3: I'm going to come back. Well, let me tell you about lord and servant, And.
Speaker 2: Used clearly to ingratiate himself with Esau. He is very worried about what Asov is going to do to him, and the Ramban Nachmanides, medieval Jewish commentator, says he treats Esau as if Eso.
Speaker 3: Were the oldest brother.
Speaker 2: And apparently from what the records that we have in the old world, in the ancient world, that is how younger siblings did defer to older siblings.
Speaker 3: They would This was the language of the time. So what is he doing now?
Speaker 2: He is stating publicly for Esau's benefit. Hey, I acknowledge that you're the eldest. Now that he got the bruhof from Isaac, big deal, What does it cost him to.
Speaker 3: Reacknowledge his firstborn status? You get it.
Speaker 2: But that is why these words are important to reason again one two in order to ingratiate himself with Esau. Two to re establish that I acknowledge that you're the firstborn. Because this is the language that the younger sibling uses for the older sibling. Okay, that's why this is very important. I just I want to tell you something I have, thanks to technology, a CD ram A compact this with the entire Tanah, the entire Hebrew Bible on it. So all I do is type in a word in Hebrew, and it shows me every place in the Tanas that it appears. I mean, it's just absolutely incredible instantaneously. So I looked up malach and malachim angel or messenger in singular and plural. Found the following, which I think is interesting. First of all, this is the first time when Jacob sends Malachim.
Speaker 3: It's the first time in the.
Speaker 2: Torah that malachim are sent by man. Until now, all malachem were sent by God. Number two, no time better. Every time in the Torah that malach is used in the singular God sent it. Man only sends messengers. God sends sometimes a messenger. I don't know if it's significant. I can't believe it's purely coincidental that there was never a singular messenger sent by Man.
Speaker 3: It's always messengers. Maybe that's when it becomes an angel when it's in the singular. Who knows.
Speaker 2: Anyway, This is what you are to tell Esaul when you meet him, thus says your servant Jacob. I stayed with Laban and remained until now. Why is he saying that? What is the importance of that message? Can anybody figure out what is he trying to say to Asov here? Well, obviously he's coming home, but that that's right. This was his way of saying, Hey, if I could have i'd have met you much sooner.
Speaker 3: But I was stuck with Laban all these twenty.
Speaker 2: Years, like he was dying to see Asov the entire time. Just couldn't give him a call, right, I mean, it's really that you have to please understand the humor involved here, not that he means, of course to be funny, but it is humorous. He's using a Bologney line with this whole thing. Hey, you know, if I only could have ace up, Jesus, I'd have been in touch. But I was stuck with Laban the whole time.
Speaker 3: So notice how rich this one sentence is with the entire plan of Jacob. One.
Speaker 2: I will treat you like the eldest all over again. Two, I will be your humble servant. You are my lord.
Speaker 3: Three Please no, I've been dying to be in touch with you, but I've been detained for twenty years. Okay, now that you see the richness of the sentence. So now he says, and now, and there's a tactic in the next verse. And I a quiet cattle and asses and sheep and male and female slaves or servants, if you will, and I send this message to my lord in the hope of gaining your favor.
Speaker 2: Now, why does he tell him how rich he is? Well, this is also part of his tactic. Hey, listen, I recognize who you are. You're my lord, you're my elder brother.
Speaker 3: I've been detained, and I'm very rich, always very rich. Then that means he thinks Esau will think, oh, I can get something from him, it is clear, and you will see how clear it becomes that Yakov thinks that Asov has one overwhelming desire in life, material welfare, and generally speaking, he was probably right. That doesn't make Esau bad.
Speaker 2: We have no basis on which to claim that Esau is an evil man. Nothing in the biblical text suggests that is that clear. He's a simple man. He's a hunting man, which the Bible is not enthralled with. He's a wild man. He doesn't care about birthrights. He cares about eating well and hunting well and material welfare. But he is not a bad man. He's just not the person you want is your patriarch. Okay, that's very important to understand what's going on.
Speaker 4: This episode of Timeless Wisdom will continue right after this. Now back to more of Dennis Fragger's timeless Wisdom.
Speaker 3: So he tells him how Richie is.
Speaker 2: Sarna points out, though, that he doesn't mention a certain animal that he does have. He mentions cattle, asks his sheep, and then servants what animal does he have that he doesn't mention, and this is two very intentional camels. He doesn't mention that he owns camels.
Speaker 3: Sarna says. The reason is.
Speaker 2: Because that's the most valuable livestock. He just doesn't want to give it up. It's very simple as that. I mean, all of this is so human, right. If you knew you were going to give up stuff, maybe your very most valuable thing, you might not mention. Oh I'm really loaded. I have a Cadillac and I have a Pontiac.
Speaker 3: But you don't mention your roles, Okay, I mean, if.
Speaker 2: You're that wealthy, just to put it in common parlance, comparing a camel and a rolls.
Speaker 3: Verse verse seven.
Speaker 2: The messengers returned to Jacob, saying, we came to your brother Esau. This is already somewhat bad language for Jacob's ears.
Speaker 3: He's still your brother, see you.
Speaker 2: Please remember we're back to the original problem that you had with your brother. So the language, it's don't give me first born and stuff. This is your brother, Esaw, and he's more or less just like you left him twenty years ago. We came to your brother Aesa. He himself is coming to meet you. Now, how is that possible? Clearly he has had his own spies out to find out what's happened with my brother. He never felt that things had been reconciled. So he found out, and he's coming to meet you, to which, of course, we're sure that Jacob was delighted, especially with the following data.
Speaker 3: And he's not alone. Four hundred men are with him. Isn't now wonderful? You could only imagine Jacob's reaction. Jeez, that's great news. Four hundred men in the Bible is a regiment. This is not a well.
Speaker 2: We counted and we noticed one more than three hundred and ninety nine.
Speaker 3: And he's coming with a regiment. This is not good for Jacob.
Speaker 2: Jacob, Jacob has a ceaselessly truble He's it started in the womb, right.
Speaker 3: There are some people like that, isn't it true?
Speaker 2: There are some people who just seen that that problems find them. They have an innate tropism for problems. Jacob is one of them. It started in the womb. He started fighting with his twin brother and it has never stopped. He finally gets out of Laban's clutches. What is the first news, Esaus showing up with a regiment. You gotta start feeling for the guy. I mean, he hasn't done terrible things either. When you think about it, that he has deserved all these problems, all right, So he himself is coming to meet you.
Speaker 3: There four hundred men with him, to.
Speaker 2: Which the reaction in verse eight is rather understandable. Jacob was greatly frightened, and in his anxiety, one.
Speaker 3: Second, let's just see, yes, yes, yes, yes. If I had any notes, they used them, okay.
Speaker 2: And in his anxiety he divided the people with him, and the flocks and herds and camels into two camps, thinking, if Asuv comes to the one camp and attacks it.
Speaker 3: The other camp may yet escape. I mean, that is how bad he envisioned the meeting.
Speaker 2: It also shows how plagued he was with guilt this whole time, because I think it's both guilt and a sense of my brother is very angry, and twenty years has not assuaged that anger.
Speaker 3: That's obviously the way he is feeling here, that.
Speaker 2: He would divide up his camp and say, look, one of you may get obliterated, but at least i'll have the other half that can run away while he's obliterating the first half.
Speaker 3: It's a sad time, obviously. Then Jacob said verse ten, this is a prayer.
Speaker 2: Notice that it's a somewhat different prayer than the one he gave originally when he made that deal as it were with God. Remember that this time he says, Oh, God of my father Abraham and God of my father Isaac, Oh Lord who said to me, return to your.
Speaker 3: Native land, and I will deal bountifully with you.
Speaker 2: I'm laughing because once again, while it is not as obvious a deal as the first time he has a prayer to God, it is a very unsubtle reminder to God. Hey, alisten, there is a deal working here. You made a promise. You notice that, Oh Lord, who promised the following, And then he gets very specific, said that I will deal very you will return to your native land, and I will deal bountifully with you. Hey, listen, I'm on my way to my native land, and I like you to deal boundifully with me.
Speaker 3: You made the promise, so says.
Speaker 2: I am unworthy of all the kindness that you have so steadfastly shown your servant. With my staff alone, I crossed as Jordan, and now I have become two camps.
Speaker 3: You get the point. I just came. All I had was a miserable staff, right like Rod.
Speaker 2: And now I'm gonna have too camps worth of people and possessions.
Speaker 3: Deliver me.
Speaker 2: I pray from the hand of my brother, from the hand of Aceov. Else I fear he may come and strike me down, mothers and children alike.
Speaker 3: I mean he's quaking. He thinks his brother's an animal.
Speaker 2: Yet you have said, I will deal bountifully with you, and make your offspring as the sands of the.
Speaker 3: Sea, which are too new porus to count. Twice he reminds God of what God brothers. So this is uh. It's a man of faith. But who still feels that God might need a little prompting. What can we say? It's all too human?
Speaker 2: I would, I would, I would argue, which is of course the appeal of the whole book.
Speaker 3: Verse fourteen.
Speaker 2: After spending the night there, he selected from what was at hand these presents for his brother Aesov. One hundred she goats and twenty he goats, two hundred us.
Speaker 3: And twenty rams. Oh well, he ended up giving some type of camel, maybe a sauna.
Speaker 2: Either he couldn't avoid it or whatever. But he does end up giving camels thirty milch. It says here you have another term. What's a milch camel? Anybody know? It's an old brand. It's like certain camels come in brands.
Speaker 3: I guess it's Steve. Oh really, so why.
Speaker 2: Isn't it just milk camel all right? Thirty milch or milk camels with their colts, forty cows and ten bulls, twenty she asses and ten he asses. Notice it says he gives from what was at hand. This was a rich man. These were just what was around him. The total thanks to sauna.
Speaker 3: He gave him five one hundred and fifty easts. That's a nice present.
Speaker 2: But of course, if it works, it's a bargain, right If you were thought you'd be killed, five hundred and fifty animals is a good deal. These he put in the charge of his servants, drove by drove. Why did he put him in drove by drove so that it would be a very slow process, whereby Esau could see all the riches that.
Speaker 3: He was getting.
Speaker 2: Even this is a tactic, and he told his servants this is part of the tactic. Go on ahead and keep a distance between droves. I mean, after all, what is the most dramatic way to get a present? Slowly but steadily, right, not all at once? Here it all is, It's not as exciting. But if you show all here are the ewes, and here are the rams, and here are the camels, and each one just, oh, my god, another thing from my darling brother Jacob.
Speaker 3: You can get overwhelmed.
Speaker 2: He instructed the one in front as follows. When my brother Aesov meets you and asks you, who's man are you?
Speaker 3: Where are you going? And whose animals are these ahead of you?
Speaker 2: You'll answer your servant Jacob's They are a gift sent to my lord Esau, and Jacob himself is right behind us.
Speaker 3: Let me read to you on seventeen Oh I did already on this? Okay, on that good again.
Speaker 2: Jacob's assumption is just as at the incident with the porridge, that Esau will be mollified by immediate gratification and material gratification. That is the way he reads his brother, and he's right. My brother wants immediate stuff in life. He will give up his anger for animals. He will give up his birthright for porridge. That is the way in which Jacob reads his brother. And we have no reason to think he's wrong, because indeed it works in both cases. Nineteen Wait, I just want to tell you one nineteen You shall answer again. You see the word he uses, your servant Jacob, You see that constantly use of this language. Of you are ahead, you are above me. I defer to you, you are great. He gave similar instructions to the second one, and the third, and all the others who followed the droves, namely, thus, and so shall you say to acelf when you reach him, and you shall add what is the word? And you're a servant, you see servant again. Servant Jacob himself is right behind us. For he reasoned, if I propitiate him with presents in advance and then face him, perhaps he will show me favor. Okay, which was obvious. But the reasoning is spelled out in the Torah verse twenty two. And so so the gift went on ahead while he remained in camp.
Speaker 3: That night.
Speaker 2: That same night he arose and taking his two wives, his two maid servants, and his eleven children. So you will know who all these people are by now, right right, he crossed the ford of the Yabuk. Now Yabuk is a river which those of you, as you're passing around that atlas, you should all be able to see that river, which apparently has.
Speaker 3: I read a description of.
Speaker 2: It at another work. It is like a mini Grand canyon. It's got very steep mountains on each side, almost coming up perpendicular from the water, and is very difficult to cross.
Speaker 3: You have to understand what is involved here.
Speaker 2: In the ancient world, crossing a river was a monumental task and is also filled with meaning. That's when they speak about crossing the rubicon, right, if you've crossed the rubicon, it's a metaphor for you've really your life has changed, You've really gone to something very different in life. Crossing a river is critical as it will be the most among the most critical moments for Jacob here in a moment. But that is the importance of this river Yabok. Also, the name itself is related to the word conflict mavac in Hebrew, which is exactly what he will have with this messenger of God coming up.
Speaker 4: This episode of Timeless Wisdom will continue right after this. Now back to more of Dennis Frager's timeless Wisdom.
Speaker 2: So that same night he arose and taking his two wives to mad service eleven children, he crossed the ford of the Yabok. Now, who in the world would cross a difficult river at night?
Speaker 3: Did he do it?
Speaker 2: The answer is probably because it was critical to him to get as fast as possible to Esau.
Speaker 3: After he got the gifts while Esau was still in a good mood. That is how important it was.
Speaker 2: And it shows the contempt I hate to say it, in some ways that Jacob had not for at least that aspect of his brother. That he's basically a very wild, feeling oriented human being. Who can't you got a hit when the feeling is right, which is what he has worked with Esau the whole time.
Speaker 3: Once again, if he.
Speaker 2: Has these gifts and there is a fairly a long lag time between the gifts and seeing me, he's gonna hate my guts again and he'll forget the gifts. He is moving very quickly here. He cannot wait to cross the river and get to Aesop. He's coming south and Aesob is coming north. If you saw that the Atlas map. After taking them across the stream, he sent across all his possessions, Jacob was left alone. We don't know why Jacob was left alone.
Speaker 3: Okay, it doesn't follow fully from what we just said. If he went with his family, why was he alone and he send them all across the stream and his possessions, and he was left alone.
Speaker 2: But it says that he crossed the ford after taking them across the stream, he sent across all his possessions. Well, unless he sent everybody and he stayed behind, I guess that's the implication. I don't know why he would do it, though, That's what I'm saying. I don't see why it would happen. It doesn't matter though. What matters is that he was alone. Just wanted to say that it's not a necessary logical follow up. If he's crossed with everybody, why doesn't he continue with everybody?
Speaker 3: Be that as it may. He stayed alone. Maybe it was to contemplate.
Speaker 2: Maybe it was to prepare himself psychologically, who knows.
Speaker 3: Whatever the reason, he did stay alone. And now comes one of the most fascinating episodes in the Bible, not just in Genesis. And a man wrestled with him until the break of dawn. Notice what it says. It says a man wrestled with.
Speaker 2: Him, okay, until the break of dawn when he saw that he had not prevailed against him.
Speaker 3: That's who. When who saw the man?
Speaker 2: When the man saw that he had not prevailed I'm going to keep telling you who that he is, because it never says it and get very confusing. When he the man, this unnamed unknown man, saw that he had not prevailed again him Jacob, he wrenched Jacob's hip at the socket so that the socket of his hip was strained as he wrestled with him. He was forever somewhat crippled as a result of this fight.
Speaker 3: He will have a.
Speaker 2: Permanent physical handicap reminder a limp, if you will, as a result of this struggle at the river.
Speaker 3: Then he said, who said good? The fact that you all shouted out the man at Jacob is why it's important that I tell you who it is, because the text is not it. Should you know if I'd have written this, itomated clearer, Yes, it is the man. Then he said, that is the man. Let me go, for dawn is breaking, But he Jacob answered, I will not let you go unless you bless me.
Speaker 2: I'll read the story and then we'll have a lot of commentary on it. Are you with me thus far? I won't let you go, Jacob says to the man, unless you bless me, said the other, that is the man.
Speaker 3: What is your name? Jacob? Replied. He replied Jacob, Jacob said he the man.
Speaker 2: Your name shall no longer be Jacob, but Israel, for you have striven with beings divine and human and have prevailed. Jacob asked, pray, tell me your name, but he said, you must not ask my name, and he took leave of him there. Okay, we'll continue afterwards, But there is I would like to read to you some commentaries, and then I will give you my own. First, I will read to you from Sarna about the story. Listen carefully. It's a very very interesting commentary. The literary artistry shows every sign of the influence of two dominant motifs common to a broad range of cultures. The river is the scene of the struggle, recalls the many tales of river spirits that fight with humans who seek to cross their abodes. A very common feature in ancient civilization is river demons who are there to be fought and conquered in order for you to successfully cross the river. Okay, So this idea of fighting some invisible spirit or demon at a river would have resonated to ancient readers totally, insofar as rivers frequently prove to be unexpectedly treacherous. They were believed to possess some malevolent power.
Speaker 3: Dangerous to human life.
Speaker 2: Travelers with take good care to propitiate the river spirit through sacrifice, libation, or other ritual before attempting to ford.
Speaker 3: Is that totally clear? They would have.
Speaker 2: Religious ceremonies which they would engage in rituals in order to propitiate the the river spirits to be successful in crossing. Equally widespread is the motif of a demonic, that is, devilish being whose power is restricted to the duration of the night, and who is unable to abide the breaking.
Speaker 3: Of the dawn.
Speaker 2: Because remember in the story how important it is, it's the sun is up, Let me go. Seems to be a non sequitor. What does one have to do with the other. But that too, was an idea common in those in those times of spirits of the night only.
Speaker 3: And they would be defeated by the dawn. Okay.
Speaker 2: An obvious corollary is the opportunity accorded a brave soul to derive profit from the situation by holding on to the demon long enough to bend it to his will.
Speaker 3: Now here is the key.
Speaker 2: Though these motifs are obviously incompatible with Israelite monotheism. Remember the theme that I kept telling you about an early Genesis, that this is an affirmation of monotheism of the One God and hostility, profound hostility to.
Speaker 3: Paganism and to polytheism.
Speaker 2: Again, you have a story that pagans would relate to, and given one way that Torah changes it, just as it changed in the beginning. God created the world. Remember, nobody created God. No sex was involved in creating the world, even though that was exactly the way all pagan stories did it. What you do is you have in Genesis an inversion of pol You have your stories. We are going to monotheize them. So with Noah, remember.
Speaker 3: I told you about Utnah pished him about the pagan stories. Everybody had stories of a.
Speaker 2: Flood, but they were all saved because they were handsome, because the gods loved them for no reason except that they were drawn to them. But Noah's chosen because he's moral, totally different. Once again, you have it here. The motifs are obviously incompatible with Israelite monotheism. They have consequently been transformed in our biblical narrative. Nothing in the text connects the mysterious assailant.
Speaker 3: With a river spirit. Get it. There are no river spirits, there are no demons. God controls the world. It is the basic, basic, basic Jewish view.
Speaker 2: There are no competing forces on earth. That is why witchcraft is not acceptable in Judaism or magic, because they imply other powers than God to manipulate life. You have free choice, and therefore you are in God's image. You're the only other free choice creature in the universe. That's why the human is so distinct. But there are no other powers. There is divine power, and there is human power. Absolutely, there is human power. But there are no other powers in the world, not river demons.
Speaker 3: In this particular instance.
Speaker 2: So the reader of ancient Israel would have been shocked by this story. You're not, But that reader would have been where's the river demon. It's just a It's just a man or a messenger of God. We'll talk about that later. The stranger does not interfere with the passage of personnel, livestock, and baggage.
Speaker 3: Right. They all went across effortlessly.
Speaker 2: Then came the person It is only after these have already crossed the river that he becomes active. It is Jacob alone who is the object of his aggression. Jacob clearly knows nothing of any river spirit, for the attack is wholly unexpected and no propitiatory ceremony takes place.
Speaker 3: Right, Jacob didn't.
Speaker 2: Make any special libation or ritual against river demons. The contrast with the folk tale genre is further accentuated through the absence of any description of the adversary.
Speaker 3: All it said was man. And then it didn't even say man again. Remember that's why the text is so a little difficult.
Speaker 2: It just kept saying and he said, and he said, and he said, and he said, and he said.
Speaker 3: We know nothing about this thing.
Speaker 2: Just once it said man ish.
Speaker 3: I just want to make sure it's the word used.
Speaker 2: Okay, yes, twenty five Okay, So nothing is told about it. The usual pattern requires the spirit to assume the form of animals, serpents, and monsters in a constant shift from one guise to another in the course of the struggle. You have none of that, even hinted at here correct again, in a complete reversal of roles. It is the mysterious being who injures Jacob. Traditionally, the spirit is the one who is punished and wounded by the human defender. It's entirely inverted. Do you see that from what pagan stories would be. It is one of the key motifs of Genesis is the destruction of the Torah. Forget if Genesis of all five books, and that will be if you last with me, one of the constant repeated, if not the most constantly repeated theme. Destroy polytheism, knock alternate ideas of other powers in the world. The fact that the assailant blesses Jacob proves that it cannot.
Speaker 3: Be a demon.
Speaker 2: If it were a demon, who's going to ask a blessing from a demon?
Speaker 3: That's another inversion of it all.
Speaker 4: This episode of timeless wisdom will continue right after this. Now back to more of Dennis Prager's Timeless.
Speaker 2: Wisdom, for the notion of eliciting and receiving a blessing from a demon is unexampled and inconceivable in a biblical context. In short, the occurrence of this incident by a river and the sudden attack by a mysterious assailant indicate that popular folk tales provided the literary model for this biblical narrative, but a careful and radical pursing of all elements offensive to the monotheism of Israel has taken place pagan bottles, monotheism wine. Okay, very very important. Continuing now, now we raise the question of the identity of the assailant. Who but Aesav Esau would have had such an obstructionist interest. But the wrestler is definitely not Esau himself. Hence he must stand for Esau in some manner. He is, as it were, Esau's alter ego. The vocabulary employed in the narrative to identify the strange personage a man and afterwards Elohim, a divine being, is that used elsewhere of angels.
Speaker 3: Indeed, the prophet Hosea.
Speaker 2: Explicitly describes him as such as an angel in Hosea twelve four.
Speaker 3: I checked it. It's true.
Speaker 2: The most plausible solution, therefore, is to see in this mysterious being the celestial patron of Esau. This, indeed is the interpretation given in amid Rush, which is a Rabbinic fable. As it were, throughout the ancient world, the idea was current that each city, state, each people had its divine protector. In monotheistic Israel, such a notion was intolerable. It therefore became transmuted into a belief in the existence of subordinate.
Speaker 3: Spirits who were part of the celestial host. Finally, in summation, the mysterious creature who assails Jacob as he is about to cross the future border of Israel. That's another reason for this important river is none other than the celestial patron of Esau, Edome, who was the inveterate enemy of the people Israel. Again, an ancient Israelite reading this would have seen a metaphorical battle of Israel and Edome. The entire episode foreshadows the impending confrontation with Esau, whom Jacob can now meet with confidence if he wrestled with this being now he could certainly wrestle with Esau.
Speaker 2: It is also emblematic of subsequent historical relations between the people of Israel and a Dome.
Speaker 3: Now, let me read to you.
Speaker 2: What Cloud says just one paragraph. Since ancient days, crossing a river has.
Speaker 3: Been all its old ones.
Speaker 2: Make sure you, Since ancient days, crossing a river has been symbolic of overcoming hazard and going forward to new experience, which is what.
Speaker 3: I was talking about.
Speaker 2: In this sense, Jacob passing over the a book to meet Esau crosses the watershed of his life. Everything that has happened to him since he obtained both birthright and parental blessing by doubtful means, has been tanked. Did with his own guilt and his brother's enmity. Jacob can fully face his own past only as he seeks reconciliation with Esau, and this he can do only as he becomes a different man. When Jacob becomes Israel, he can achieve reconciliation with his brother.
Speaker 3: Now, prager at Sarna and plot hold on one sec. Okay, Now, I'll tell you a little story. What does it mean? It means strive or struggle with God.
Speaker 2: Right, let's look again at why he got that name verse twenty nine, twenty nine.
Speaker 3: And he said, that is the the man.
Speaker 2: Your name shall no longer be Jacob, but Israel, for you have striven with beings divine and human, and have prevailed. Okay, first, just the I can't the shot the literal explanation. He has struggled with human beings, right, Esau and Laban. He has really struggled, and he has prevailed. But he has now also struggled with God, or at least with divine beings and therefore you get the name struggle with God.
Speaker 3: My little story is a very simple one.
Speaker 2: It's about a phone call I got from a Muslim woman many years ago on one of my talk shows. Said, Dennis, you say we can ask you anything. He said, of course, said I'd like to ask you.
Speaker 3: I'm a Muslim woman. I like to know why you're not a Muslim. And I thank her for asking me because I took it as a as a compliment that she even cared that she would like me to be one. Was I felt complimentary at any rate, I.
Speaker 2: Said to her, it's obviously worthy of huge responses and dialogues.
Speaker 3: And I cannot deny that having been born Jewish is a big part of the reason.
Speaker 2: But having said that, I can give you a philosophical reason. The names of each of our religions in their native language gives you the answer. Islam means something in Arabic, and Israel means something in Hebrew. Islam means surrender to God. Israel means struggle with God. I rather struggle with God than surrender to God. And she said, thank you. That's a good answer because she was true to her Islam. Because you are to to God, not In Judaism, you are to obey God, but not surrender.
Speaker 3: There's a big difference struggle and obey.
Speaker 2: A lot of Jews take the struggle very seriously and end up disobeying, and a lot of Jews don't even struggle.
Speaker 3: As Eli Weisel put it once, I think very.
Speaker 2: Well said, a Jew can love God, a Jew can fight with God, but a Jew cannot ignore God. And a lot of Jews ignore God, which is to me the greatest contemporary Jewish problem. But putting that aside for a moment, struggling with God and struggling with Man is what life is about. And this is why, aside from the obvious Jewish reason I just gave you why.
Speaker 3: I think this is so important when I lectured a great deal on he happiness and writing a book on it, which will come out sometime at my great grandchild's broh mitzvah. But the uh, I make the point in it that tension is a good thing. Those of you took the course with me will undoubtedly recall this because I made such a big deal about it.
Speaker 2: Animals have no tension or a desire no tension. Certainly, you look at a cow grazing and you have seen the epitome of non tension.
Speaker 3: Right then they look up at you with that.
Speaker 2: Untense look, and you know that you have seen the face of relaxation. And as I put it when I teach the course, a lot of people actually want to emulate cows. There is a desire to live as tension free as possible. Hence, for example, people will do things that are the antithesis of breeding any tension, as for example, watch television a great deal, watching sports a great deal. I have no problem with some TV, with some sports with some no.
Speaker 3: Tension, not at all. There's a place for that in life.
Speaker 2: That I'm not extreme on this, I am only saying that a life that seeks no tension is.
Speaker 3: Not a human life.
Speaker 2: You have not fully developed your humanity if you seek no tension. This goes true, by the way, for both secular and religious people. Secular people who never challenge their secularism and religious people who never challenge their religiosity are to me in the same human boat, lazy, ungrowing as human beings now. And the interesting thing is neither one sees it very.
Speaker 3: Often as a problem in their own life.
Speaker 2: If you speak to secular people, they'll always challenge religion people, Hey, how can you be religious? Look at all this evil? How can you believe in God? There are kids with cancer, and they're right, those are legitimate questions which religious people should struggle with.
Speaker 3: But what if you turn it around and say, Okay, I have to struggle with kids with cancer, but do you have to struggle with kids with no cancer? You have to struggle with the fact that there are kids period. Do you struggle with that? You and your secularism?
Speaker 2: You, in your non religiosity, do you ever struggle with it? You are the absence of God and religion in your life. Yes, I fully acknowledge I as a religious person have many things to account for and struggle with. But do you not realize in your secular life the absence of God and religion that you have also struggles you have to deal with. And this is revelatory, absolutely revelatory. They have never thought of it in that way. Likewise, there are many religious people who say, you see, look the secular They close their minds to the obvious fact that there is a God and there was a creator in the world. But you can ask many religious people, h really, well, did you ever challenge your religiosity. You were born in the exact same religion you're in. You haven't grown one in since you're a child. Religiously, you are doing exactly what your parents did religiously, why are you intellectually and humanly?
Speaker 3: One went more advanced.
Speaker 2: Than the secularist who never challenged his or her secularism, and they never thought of it that way. How many religious people challenge their religiosity. They come to some peace with some beliefs at a certain point, and then they just sail on till death, just as secularists sail on till.
Speaker 3: Death with their non challenge. And neither is the dream, that not.
Speaker 2: The Jewish dream, at any rate, at any rate, of what the human should be.
Speaker 3: And that is why, by the way, it is so beautiful.
Speaker 2: Jacob has to struggle with man and struggle with God, and so do you. If you don't struggle with man or with God, then you don't grow. That doesn't mean go around fighting and bullying. It means struggling. It's a struggle to make a better world. It is if everybody in the world likes you, you've done something wrong.
Speaker 3: It's the truth.
Speaker 2: By the way, if everybody in the world hates you. You've also done something wrong. Both are true. Now, the point is not to make enemies. The point is to struggle. Do you struggle with human beings and you struggle with God? And that is what it is to be human. That's why the story has such resonance. After all, it has to what is the big deal? There has to be a big deal because this is the name of the people of the Bible, So it's got to have it's got from the biblical perspective, it has to have a staggering amount of importance. And frankly, what could be more important than the nature of humanity. It's not just the nature of the jew it's the Jewish understanding of what it is to be a human. This struggle, this is how you grow through tension, not aggravation. Incidentally, one of the things that I make a distinction in my book is between tension and aggravation. Aggravation is gratuitous, tension unnecessary because nudnix are in your life. Okay, that's a very different thing.
Speaker 3: Or you get too easily aggravated over things that you shouldn't. That's bad, that just kills you. But tension is good.
Speaker 2: My best example of how good tension is is we use it, for example, in one sphere of life as totally positive sexual tension.
Speaker 3: It's a good thing.
Speaker 2: If you don't have any sexual tension with your partner, it's.
Speaker 3: Not a good thing. It's precisely what you do want to have. But it's not the only area where tension is a good thing. You want tension in a lot of You want intellectual tendon if you're not challenging yourself.
Speaker 2: It happened on the radio last night. Guy called up. He wanted the recommendations because he's conservative. He's a dentist. Give me good magazines to read so I can bolster my conservatism.
Speaker 3: And I gave him half and half.
Speaker 2: I gave him half conservative, half liberal, and one centrist. Because if all he reads is conservative journals that he agrees with, how's he going to grow? Even as a conservative, he won't grow, let alone, as a human, He'll just deteriorate. I'll become a parrot of the conservative articles that he's read, as liberals do with liberal articles that they read and don't read the opposition. Now, it makes life tougher, but it makes it infinitely richer to have this tension to struggle with people, to struggle with God.
Speaker 3: And that's what it is about.
Speaker 2: That is why if you have questions about God in Judaism, that is totally par for the course.
Speaker 3: That is why you will now.
Speaker 2: Understand the concept in Judaism that how you behave is more important than how you believe. Now the behavior includes ritual religious behavior, though it is more important in Judaism that you observe the Shabbah, the Sabbath than that you affirm God's existence. That is true for Reform, for Conservative, for Orthodox, for Hasidic. There is no exception in Jewish historical thinking.
Speaker 3: And that's not often you can say that.
Speaker 2: Because you may have doubts on a Wednesday, but Friday night, when the sun sets, it's time for you to make the Sabbath, even if you have doubts or you're angry at God that week. Now you understand where this all comes from. That is why you are free as a Jew to have a great deal of tension, to have a great deal of.
Speaker 3: Even anger at God. How can you let a Holocaust happen?
Speaker 2: So when Jews yell they can't believe in God after the holocaus, they're doing that, they're reacting to me in an Unjewish way and in the logical way. The logical and Jewish ways not to say there's no God because there's a Holocaust. The logical and Jewish ways say I'm angry at God because there was a Holocaust. The Holocaust doesn't disprove God's existence anymore than then an unfortunately, a tragic gang bang shooting in La tonight will. For that person murdered, it's no different if they're one of six million or one of one. That's the end of their whole, all their hopes and their and everything else of their life.
Speaker 3: The issue is feeling about God. Anger with God. That's permitted.
Speaker 2: Indeed, there is a certain desirability if your reaction to God is identical, no matter what happens to you, You're not human. If you never struggle with God, it doesn't make sense. You struggle with your wife, with your husband, with your kids, with your parents, but not with God. Is God less intimate to you? How could you be intimate with anybody and not struggle. It doesn't make sense. Then there's nothing going on. That's the beauty of this story. That's what I have always gotten out of it. This is when he goes from Jacob, which is the grabber, that's what Remember what it meant. It was just grabbed on the heel of his brother. And now he becomes a struggler. The highest term that the Torah can give a human being is struggler. That's what I want to be said when you're dead, when I'm dead, he struggled. He worked hard in this life. He grappled with it and sometimes prevailed. Sometimes we don't, but that's not The purpose in life is to prevail, because none of you, none of us, no one will ever fully prevail. That's why there's a great rabbinic statement it is not up to you to finish the task, but you're also not free to desist from trying.
Speaker 3: None of you will make the world perfect. None of us will.
Speaker 2: But that doesn't mean you can sit back and not try to make it better. But no one dies with all of his dreams, and that'll come out very dreams fulfilled. The only one, remember who said it died satisfied was Abraham. I told you is the one time in the Torah that had happened, And it's quite amazing that it happened in the one time. So fellow strugglers that that.
Speaker 3: Is the ideal.
Speaker 2: The highest appellation of the Torah is one who struggles with God one, not one who ignores God, and not one who sits back with comfort, comforting and comfortable belief. As a Protestant one said, it's the task of religion. The task of religion is not to comfort the afflicted nearly as much as it is to afflict the comfortable. It's very important because a lot of people look to religion as a source of comfort, look to God as a source of comfort.
Speaker 3: That's okay, there is nothing wrong with that.
Speaker 2: If that's all you are looking for in God and religion, then they become merely little valiance and they are not real. The task is to challenge you, and you challenge with standards.
Speaker 3: One of the things that troubles me today.
Speaker 2: Is the argument that compassion must always win out against standards. I'll give you a very difficult issue where it's an example, and with this I will move on. And whether you agree with me or not is not the point. Nor am I here to convince you that I'm right. I'm here to convince you that this is a good example of the tension between comfort and religious standards. Homosexuality comfort says live and let live whatever people do, so long as it's non coercive, there is no judgment to be made, and that is a far more comforting thing.
Speaker 3: You live with far more tension if you argue that there is a better way to lead a life, that heterosexual monogamous marriage is the best. It makes people tense.
Speaker 2: It makes adulterers tense, It makes single people who are single out of volition tense. It is it's not fully compassionate because the purpose of religion is not only to be compassionate. It is to provide a guideline, a thing to aspire to. If you can't, you can't. I'm not going to sit here and dump on people who can't. If you can't be heterosexual, I have no argument with you. I only have an argument with you if you ask me to say that Judaism my religion says it doesn't matter if you're hetero or all.
Speaker 3: That's where my argument comes in. It is not personal.
Speaker 2: It is over whether or not standards which cause tension should be removed just because they cause tension.
Speaker 3: But that's the purpose of religion.
Speaker 2: It is to cause tension, not anger, not hostility, not evil, but tension. It means you're alive and struggling with it is a big part of the issue.
Speaker 3: That's what happened at Yabok.
Speaker 2: In my opinion, it's longer than Plout's and Sarna's commentary, but it's mine.
Speaker 3: I'll come to a moment. Let me just finish chapter thirty two.
Speaker 2: Jacob ass tell me your name, and he said, you must not ask my name, and he took leave of him there.
Speaker 3: Now, why what happens here? When else?
Speaker 2: Even though I very rarely make references to other places in the Torah, because I want to read the tore as if we're coming the first time, but there is another place worthy of mentioning here where again there is this question to the divine being, what's your name?
Speaker 3: Anybody know?
Speaker 2: Moses at the burning Bush asks what's your name? And it's exactly what Jacob is asking this presumably divine being here at Yabok, at the river Yebogue, what's your name?
Speaker 3: Did he wrestle with God? Did he wrestle with man? Did he wrestle with an angel?
Speaker 2: It's silent on this, but it was so obviously divine even to Jacob, because he asked for a blessing.
Speaker 3: That's how we know that. That was the case with Jacob. And no name once please, and no name is given.
Speaker 2: He says, you can't know my name because the divinity God.
Speaker 3: Is not knowable.
Speaker 2: There's a great medieval Hebrews saying Lujah dativ haithiv. If I knew him, I'd be him.
Speaker 3: If I knew God, I'd be God. You can't Man can't know God. You can wrestle with God. You can know God's will in certain areas, but you cannot know God cannot tell you.
Speaker 2: Take it in one second, just finished chapter thirty two, and he took leave of them there.
Speaker 3: So Jacob named the place penny Lanim penni l literally means face of God.
Speaker 2: That's what he named it, face of God, meaning I have seen the Divine Being face to face, yet my life has been preserved.
Speaker 3: It is a basic Torah principle. You can't see God and live.
Speaker 2: God himself says that later on in the Torah, the sun rose upon him as he passed Penuel, limping.
Speaker 3: On his hip. He now has a limp as indeed, Moses had had a speech impediment. That is why the children of Israel to this day did.
Speaker 2: Not eat the thigh muscle that is on the socket of the hip, since jacob hip sock Jacob's hip socket was wrenched.
Speaker 3: At the thigh muscle.
Speaker 2: Did you know that the psiatic nerve has to be removed from meat for it to be kosher. They do that in Israel, so you can have I guess it would mean kosher sirloin.
Speaker 3: But here you can't because they don't bother doing it. It's just that's part of that part of the animal.
Speaker 2: They just give to the non kosher butcher a butchery, I guess, and it is not used because it's two painstaking. But in Israel it actually is done, and you can eat that part of the.
Speaker 3: Animal and have it kosher. But this too is a very important.
Speaker 2: Jewish symbol of making the physical, making the metaphysical physical is a very big part of Judaism. A Jew is not told, remember that you were slave in Egypt.
Speaker 3: Every year.
Speaker 2: A Jew is told the following, eat matza, so that you will remember exactly what they ate. Eat bitter herbs, so you'll have a little pain, physical pain, to give you an idea of what it was like to be a slave. Eat hero sat Because this certain mixture of nuts and so on and fruits to give you an idea of what mortar looked like, and.
Speaker 3: On and on.
Speaker 2: Every year, I want you to live in an impermanent booth on the holiday of Booths Sukkote, so that you know what it is to live with impermanence.
Speaker 3: Judaism doesn't trust you.
Speaker 2: It doesn't believe that you can empathize non physically. If you want to know what it is like to live impermanently, live impermanently. If you want to know what it is like not to be able to have the time to.
Speaker 3: Bake bread, don't bake bread. Judaism is filled with that.
Speaker 2: And in this regard it is very, very different from Christianity. Christianity is a religion of the heart, much more than Judaism, which is a religion of the law. That doesn't mean there's no law on Christianity, and it doesn't mean it's no heart in Judaism, but it does mean that one tends to stress one more than the other stresses it. After all, they stressed everything equally, they'd be the same religion. This is not an inferior, superior statement. It's a statement of difference. Judaism holds. If you want to feel it, you must do it. You cannot just feel it. Same with the Sabbath. These are the things you do in order to emulate God's ceasing of creativity on the Sabbath.
Speaker 3: These are the things you do. These are the things you don't do. Whereas to most Christians today the Sabbath is felt internally to an observing Jew, the idea that.
Speaker 2: You could go to a ballgame, drive to a ballgame on the Sabbath, it'll keep it in your heart is totally foreign, as foreign as it is to a Christian the idea that you shouldn't go to a ballgame on the Sabbath because you are violating God's will.
Speaker 3: Yet those are two very separate ways.
Speaker 2: When I asked Christian clergy for ten years on religion on the line on my radio station, I would ask them, you know, if I came to your home on a Sunday after church, how would I know it's a Sunday and not a Monday.
Speaker 3: And I said, you wouldn't because it's.
Speaker 2: Internal my feeling of the Lord's Day, which is literally what Sunday is for a Christian more than specifically the Sabbath. But if you came to an observant Jews home on the Sabbath, you would know in ten seconds it was the Sabbath. Everything about it would be different, everything about the behavior. So too, you don't remember when Jacob became Israel.
Speaker 3: You eat it. You see every time, you can't have that part of an animal. You remember the battle that made Jacob into Israel. That's a very big difference, and that is what is.
Speaker 2: Going on in this particular verse. Okay, there were a couple of questions here.
Speaker 5: Yes, I was really struck by the part that you passed over.
Speaker 3: He pointed out the anomaly.
Speaker 5: Of Jacob's standing there alone on the bank, and then you passed over it. It seems to me that the implication here is very strong that he was waiting, and the text.
Speaker 3: Goes very quickly into the struggle.
Speaker 5: He's standing there alone, and all of a sudden he's struggling with the messengers.
Speaker 3: So he stood there intentionally. You're saying as if.
Speaker 2: He knew he had to, right, it's very possible, or simply that or not as an or as if it's a different explanation. But in addition that he knew that this was a major moment, than he needed to be alone for whatever reason, even if he didn't know exactly what was going to happened, which is why he sent everybody ahead.
Speaker 6: Yes, atthastics for the messager whoever's.
Speaker 3: Name and the name is not given, he said it, and he took leave and he blessed him then, okay, versus that Yes, okay, No, it's thirty Okay, I look at the Hebrew. Yes, it's a very good point. See.
Speaker 2: I debated whether I should do every sentence in Hebrew, but it took too long. I used to do it. But you are absolutely right. She is she says it. Her reading says, and he blessed him not he took leaves with yes, and that is exactly what it says in the Hebrew.
Speaker 3: That's correct. It's a very interest. Well, I don't know why this this translation amidst that fact.
Speaker 2: It's a very it's a very relevant point in thirty. In verse thirty, the messenger, remember, he says bless me.
Speaker 3: Okay. My translation says at.
Speaker 2: The end of verse thirty, and he took leave of him there, But the Hebrew is.
Speaker 3: And he blessed him there.
Speaker 2: Yes, let me just think, yes, I mean, it's what it says I would have to know why it why they gave this translation. Yes, thank you for making that point.
Speaker 3: Yes, please, is there any explanation on verse twenty three? Why why?
Speaker 2: Well, it wasn't born yet the twelfth. Ah, you're right, Well, let's hold on Dina. That's right, because Dina is the twelfth.
Speaker 3: Hold on two women. Yes, however, they're wrong. Whoever said sons because it's not Banave, it's Kila Dave was his children. Well that shows how much girls counted for. I mean, that's another example I gave it last time. Uh, that is that is extraordinary point. I'm gonna have to really call up some of my friends. That's a sad little little point.
Speaker 2: Let's see, hold on, and so who is only Joseph was not yet born? Oh, then hold on if Joseph and Benjamin are not born.
Speaker 3: That's why I said only Joseph was not born. Oh, Joseph was born.
Speaker 2: Excuse me, ben Jackson Benjamin is not born. Therefore that would make it thirteen.
Speaker 3: Therefore this would be and it says eleven man's right. I'm sorry, I do, but he doesn't say anything about it loves Oh, excuse me, he does. That's right. I don't know how I missed it.
Speaker 2: Only the principal actors and the evolution of the nation are specified. Because Jacob is about to become Israel, the personification of the tribal confederation. That is why Dina and the rest of his household are not mentioned. Okay, but in other words, they didn't count. I mean, you know, it's just how many children do you have? And then you gave the number of sons.
Speaker 3: Very funny though, if a man had six daughters, how many children you have none? That's a little disconcerting. Yes, I was thinking a lot about the students of tension and struggling with the mind and just being you're the only one, and so many.
Speaker 6: People just don't want to think.
Speaker 3: They just be apt and they get back and forth like a pendulum, and it seems possible. I mean you, I think maybe you're a product. And to relate that to yeshiva.
Speaker 2: Which is a way of encouraging this kind of you.
Speaker 6: Know, mental exercise.
Speaker 3: Yeah, question, you don't. Yeah.
Speaker 2: She's saying that, by and large, people don't wanna struggle and people don't wanna think, And.
Speaker 3: It is true, it's almost right. It's almost a cliche. Us and I don't wanna sound uh, condescending, which which is how I guess it could come off.
Speaker 2: But but but you're right, I'm most people. I I mean, I said that in passing, Although how do you account for six hours is average home television watching? Whatever you can say in d induction of thought and struggle is not one of television's primary criteria. And the people watching six hours are not watching you know, Meet the Press reruns, all right, obviously they're they're they're watching you know, sitcoms and movies and so on. Now, and as I said, it has a place entertainment. But yes, look, I'll give you another example. I'll never forget. I've been to seventy countries, and most of them alone. But I've had a lot of traveling and a lot of looking at people.
Speaker 3: Is what I would do, especially if you're alone. What else are you gonna do? And I remember major, major, large parts of the world.
Speaker 2: One of the things I noticed was the amount of time people spend killing time just sitting just staring out, playing cards, sitting with water pipes and schmoozing, which.
Speaker 3: Is nice, all of it. Again, I'm not I'm.
Speaker 2: Not on this, but these are these are things that I do. I mean, you know, I sit and stare. I sit and I play cards every so often. Of so, I have my stereo magazines, I have my nonsense, and it's a.
Speaker 3: Place for it.
Speaker 2: But the amount of time that is done, and that's why we have why do we have a phrase killing time? If people didn't do it so much? However, I can tell you this because she made a very important point.
Speaker 3: You made it. You might not have heard. If you don't struggle with life and don't constantly think things through, you will be far less in control of life. You will just react at that moment, having not prepared yourself in terms of thought. I have said this. That's one of the big themes that I that I have talked about on my show is the need for people to develop what the Germans call a velt unshown, which in English is a worldview.
Speaker 2: You need to develop a worldview prior to tragedy, because if you don't have a philosophy of life prior to tragedy, you won't know how to deal with it. People very often, for example, are bereft by not having worked through religious questions. When a tragedy hits their life, they are ill prepared they go, how.
Speaker 3: Come religion doesn't help me? Now? How come God is irrelevant? Now?
Speaker 2: If God and religion are irrelevant before a tragedy, then it's too late unless you really get shaken up and make very major efforts to take them seriously. But not for comfort, but for reasons of philosophical training. In philosophical thought, my argument is that you will have a much easier life if you constantly think and constantly struggle. Then if you don't, that's the irony. Because again, if I mean, he's a biblical source, the Psalmist who said those who sow in tears will reap in joy, and there is great truth to that. If you don't put in your dues earlier, you will put in your dues later. It's like rearing children. My view is, take a massive amount of time to rear your child as best as possible, so as if for no other reason, to avoid the awfulness of when it's too late and you can't do anything with your kids. The amount of time you can really influence your children is basically very limited. So it is such a time worthy of massive parental attention, and it's very difficult to give all that attention. You give up a lot of social life, you give up certain professional perks. But I think that you pay you get repaid. Not in every case. There are people who sew in tears and reap in tears. I acknowledge that, but it's worth the struggle because the benefits are there in life for it.
Speaker 3: Yeah. How do you balance that?
Speaker 2: I think with your kabo, who's a happy man who is content with his life? Yeah, he asked the question, how do I balance that with the Talmudic statement who is the happy man?
Speaker 3: He was content with his lot?
Speaker 2: They're talking actually about wealth. It doesn't really say who is the happy man? It says who is the wealthy man?
Speaker 3: And the answer is which is literally correct, The wealthy person is the one who is content with his lot.
Speaker 2: Because if you have millions of dollars and you are anxious about money, you are.
Speaker 3: De facto poor.
Speaker 2: You are in the same state as the impoverished person. Not the same state economically, but the same state emotionally. That's why I often say the very poor and the very rich have one thing in common. They're both obsessed with money.
Speaker 3: So from an emotional standpoint, they are more or less in the same boat. They're not in the same boat obviously materially, but they're in the same boat in terms of what their circumstances.
Speaker 2: Have created in them. That's why you have to make a very clear thing. I'm content if I can do the following. I had a very early criterion in my life.
Speaker 3: I was content if I could, if I could buy all the records and books I wanted. That struck me as a millionaire's life. And that was and I really had correct you.
Speaker 2: And and there were times, very few, thank god, where I couldn't even buy records, and it was very painful.
Speaker 3: But so I knew the pain quotion.
Speaker 2: But once I got to that point, the rest is like gravy, okay, But you'll all make your own point.
Speaker 3: Obviously for others it's different things.
Speaker 2: And as you get older, they it goes beyond records and books, your mortgage.
Speaker 3: I mean, you know, they's just a whole host of things. But yes, that's what the Talmud is speaking about.
Speaker 6: Yep, eighty girls, that's right, child or theirs.
Speaker 2: Yes, she's making the point that to this moment, forget the Bible, to this moment, there are countries that don't want girls, that do not value them. That's absolutely correct. I've written about it, and I've talked about it, and it is. It is one of the greatest ongoing evils on this planet. And I'm very annoyed at women's organizations for focusing on issues that I think are ten dimensions less important than two massive evils against the female plitteridectomy, which has taking place about seventy five to one hundred million living girls and women, and the massive infanticide of girls in some third world countries, particular India and.
Speaker 3: China.
Speaker 7: Yeah, that's right.
Speaker 3: You're confused about the status of women in the Torah because on the one hand you had the power of Rebecca and Sarah, and on the other hand, you see how like a dean isn't even counted or right and so on.
Speaker 2: They're not contradictory. The woman in real life is depicted as capable as a male. But it was a very patriarchal society where what mattered.
Speaker 3: In such a society was the sons.
Speaker 2: But that didn't mean that the female from the Torah perspective, from perhaps even ancient the patriarch's perspective at that time, that didn't mean that the view of the woman was that she was any less capable.
Speaker 3: Now it might sound like a living contradiction.
Speaker 2: If women are fully as capable as men, indeed in many cases more capable, then how could you not count them?
Speaker 3: But that's not a contradictory.
Speaker 2: It's contradictory from our perspective because we believe that all people are created equal and should be regarding every way politically and socially.
Speaker 3: But this is brand new, brand new.
Speaker 2: I mean, in this century women couldn't vote in this country, which was that there was more or less the height of enlightenment on this planet. I mean, so you know what we need perspective, It is not contradictory. What is remarkable to me is not that women girls weren'tcountered like boys.
Speaker 3: I mean that you have that's all of the world until it outgrew it. What is amazing is that women are depicted as capable as they are. See.
Speaker 2: I think you have to in a sense, you have to invert the normal way of thinking. People say, how could Thomas Jefferson keep slaves? As one historian I recently read put it and I think was much more revealing question. The question is now not how kad Thomas Jefferson keeps slaves everybody kept slaves.
Speaker 3: The question was, how could a.
Speaker 2: Man who kept slaves argue that all men are created equal?
Speaker 3: You get it. That's the point. It's not how could they think that girls were less equal?
Speaker 2: Is how does this book, written at that time depict women as so equal in their capacity as men were.
Speaker 3: That's what's remarkable, and that is why.
Speaker 2: Ultimately, the traditions influenced by Judaism and Christianity are the traditions that elevated women. There is the status of women in Judeo Christian Western society, with all its problems and all its flaws, and all its sexism and all the other bad things. The fact is, compared to Earth, not compared to an ideal in one's mind, was elevated the woman's status beyond all other groups. That's just the fact. And this book started it. It's a very very very long process. Give you an example. You all know how much rape takes place in war. My God, look at Bosnia right happening tragically and awfully as I talk to you. And yet in this book, in Deuteronomy, there is a law that when Jews are in a war and they capture a woman, a soldier captures a woman and he's attracted to her.
Speaker 3: This is what he does. He has to take her.
Speaker 2: Home, let her mourn her family for thirty days, and then he can take her as a wife.
Speaker 3: I mean that is incredible, incredible. Women are part of war's booty.
Speaker 2: You get gold, you get jewelry, you get girls. That's part of what war was about. And here's a book that says, wait a minute, brilliantly, it didn't say don't rape women. If it would have said don't rape women in war, it would have mattered very little.
Speaker 3: What it says is, oh, you want.
Speaker 2: The woman, no problem, Just let her mourn her parents for thirty days.
Speaker 3: Then you can have her. Now, who the hell is going to rape her? After thirty days, she's sitting in your house crying over her mother. And then oh, okay, thirty days are up, let's go to ben. I mean, that was the genius of it. It said, oh, Jewish soul, you want the girl, no problem, after thirty days of morning her parents.
Speaker 2: You see, this is what elevated the status. It took a long time that there's a law in the Torah about you can't just say, as in much of the ancient world, you want a man wanted a divorce.
Speaker 3: Bye, so long, get out of my tent. Now, get the out of here is a form of divorce and much of the ancient world.
Speaker 2: Instead, he had to write what's called a bill of divorcement, which immediately meant that he can't do He had to go to court, which meant that he couldn't do it impetuously. It meant that society had a role in whether or not you could have dissolve your marriage. These were massive things in this book that elevated the status of women. So okay, but it lived in a certain time.
Speaker 1: And Tomorrow's Sunday fireside chat.
Speaker 3: I'd like you to ask your child if your child is five or fifty, I want you to ask this question, ready, but you got to get the wording. You have to memorize the wording. What do you think I your father or I your mother most want you to be?
Speaker 4: Not?
Speaker 3: What do you most want to be? What do you think I your parent most want you to be? Happy? Successful, smart, or good?
Speaker 1: Join us tomorrow to hear more on Timeless Wisdom with Dennis Prager. This has been Timeless Wisdom with Dennis Prager. Visit Dennisprager dot com for thousands of hours of Dennis's lectures, courses in classic radio programs, and to purchase Dennis Prager's Rational Bibles,