Speaker 1: Welcome to today's podcast sponsored by Hillsdale College, All Things Hillsdale at Hillsdale dot ed or. I encourage you to take advantage of the many free online courses there, and of course I'll listener to the Hilldale dialogues, all of them at que for Hillsdale dot com or just Google, Apple iTunes and Hilldale Berna Glory Eating Grace America special program. Today, I'm pleased to welcome back Vice President jd. Vance to the program to talk about his brand new book, Communion. Mister Vice President, Welcome back and congratulations on your book. You a memoir about crossing the Tiber. I found it very winsome, very revealing. I found it very frustrating that on your book tour no one talked to you about it. Did you Were you surprised by that? They talked about everything but Communions.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's amazing anybody bought the book, Hugh, because I was talking about, of course, the Iran situation. I was talking about economic issues. I think it kind of comes with the territory though, Hugh. When you're the vice president, you're out there talking about a book, people are going to ask you about the news today and whatever else. Is going on. So I appreciated it. It certainly was. You know, for me, what I wanted to do was just write a book about obviously my own faith journey, but try to write something that was not kind of a traditional political book. Right, it's not. Here are ten problems in America, and here are thirty policy proposals for how to fix it. It's very honest. It's some I think in some ways it's very self critical. But I think any honest account of how a person finds their way to Christ is going to be exactly that, and hopefully some people pick it up and find some meaning in it.
Speaker 1: I want to make sure that at least the Catholics who are listening today are those who are Catholic adjacent. Get out there and read it, or they can get the audiobook. I got both. You did a very fine job reading it. I want to start though, with Father Harry Steven or Stephan. How do you pronounce his name?
Speaker 2: Henry Stephan?
Speaker 1: All right, Father Stephan is exactly the sort of priest every Catholic curious person would be blessed to run into. Please tell the audience about it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so I'll tell you. Worry about Henry's stephan Father Henry, as I call him so very early in my own faith journey. He is the priest who baptized me, but I don't believe I had been baptized at this point. I met him at a Cincinnati waffle restaurant and he walks in. It is October the thirty first, and he's a Dominican friar, so he always wears this sort of gigantic white frock. And I say gigantic because Father Henry's probably six', five two. Fifty he's a very big. Dude and he walks in the entire restaurant stops and stares at, him And Father, henry without skipping a, beat, says don't worry, everybody it's not A halloween. COSTUME i actually do believe In. Jesus and everybody laughs that he sits. Down he's just this amazingly, gregarious funny but just a good human, being a good. Priest he cares a lot about the, faith but he's also very. Thoughtful he's a brilliant guy who went To, princeton who just he feels, it but he also thinks about. It AND i think he was the exact kind of person THAT i need to be connected to in order to find my own way back To, christ because you, KNOW i had a lot of. QUESTIONS i had a lot of you, KNOW i was very interested in the intellectual tradition of The catholic, faith BUT i also needed somebody who could steer me in my own practice of. It And Father henry did all of those. Things he's a, great great guy.
Speaker 1: There i'm going to come back to him in a, second BUT i want to lay the. Groundwork you're a Young life, kid which is a reveal to. Me i'm a big fan Of Young life for high school. Kids it's better THAN i have not drinking beer and chasing the other. Sex but did you go To Young life? Camp do you remember the name of your area director or anything like.
Speaker 2: That, NOW i never went to the, camp BUT i always went to the high school, meetings and it look it was very very good for me to your, point kept me out of some other trouble That i'm SURE i would have gotten involved in as a. Teenager and you, know it's one of these ways in WHICH i did have a foundation in faith that eventually came back to me in a big. Way AS i talk about in the, BOOK i kind of fell away from, it, RIGHT i called myself an atheist for a. Time but WHEN i look back at my own journey coming back to the, FAITH i don't think THAT i would have had quite the same trajectory if it hadn't been for that original. Foundation so even though it didn't take you, know sometimes these seeds get planted and they lay dormant for a.
Speaker 3: While but for those of you who.
Speaker 2: Don't know About Young, LIFE i, mean you, know you show, up you read The, bible you do some, singing and it's just a really good way for high schoolers to engage with their faith at their, level BECAUSE i, think as everybody, knows you, know the way of sixty five year old engages with The Christian, faith it's going to be different from the way of forty five year old and certainly different from the way of fifteen year old engages with the.
Speaker 1: Faith and it's a great entry level and it does lay seeds so good on Young. LIFE i want to go back to Bother stephan now because if anyone picks up the book in the, BOOKSTORE i go to page one sixty. Three it's a very concise statement of how one comes to religious. Belief, quote you don't Fail god's presence and. Change in an, instance The father told you there's a roadmap To, god and you've got to, travel because for most of, us grace is not something that happens in a. MOMENT i thought that is exactly by the, Way Billy graham wasn't An aha moment lightning striking. Either Father stefan seemed to lay out the gradual, path the path.
Speaker 2: Upward, yeah that's exactly, Right, hugh and that that gradual path really spoke to, me because you know you're you're exactly. RIGHT i think some people probably Misrepresent Billy graham as kind of An aha moment and all of a sudden everything is. BETTER i think that's unfair To Billy. Graham but certainly in my own, FAITH i kind of had this idea that you, know you, prayed you Accepted jesus in your, heart and then everything was supposed to be better in your life and everything was supposed to be. Easy AND i found that unsatisfying in my, youth and that's one of the reasons WHY i fell away from that. Faith And Father henry explained grace as sort of a, process as sort of this process of, perfection AND i don't say self, perfection because the idea is that you Need god's help along the, way And he's constantly working in these subtle. Ways but you also you have to work at. It and there's there's a way in which the practice of the faith informs you in the right. Way there's a way in, which you, know participating in the sacraments and praying and actually going to confession and doing all these things they slowly have this miraculous effect on a. Person but for, me you, know WHEN i was nineteen years, old to, YOU i would think of a miracle as sort of you, Know god waves the magic wand and everything's different in some. WAYS i think What Father henry was able to show to me is that true miracles sometimes are no less amazing and no less physics, defying but sometimes they take a little bit of. Time and that way in which grace works patiently was a very important insight for me because it fit how the world actually. Worked it spoke to me in a way that the aha moment idea of theology never.
Speaker 1: DID i want the audience to. Know in the course of Reading, commune you'll run Into Saint Augustine chesterton of COURSE a S, Lewis Rene, Girard Pope leo the. Thirteenth you rossed out that And rod dreher in. There BUT i got to tell, YOU i went out and got The symposium On theology And falsification that you referenced By anthony Flu hair And Basil. Mitchell that that's not for, me Mister pikes, brat that's way about my.
Speaker 4: Bag, Ray did you actually get through?
Speaker 2: THAT i, did though the part THAT i talk about in the book is very, short so SO i think it's it's it's a relatively short series of essays and back and forth that was very important to. Me but but you know, what what WHAT i write about in the book IS i encountered these essays as a you, know, college you, know philosophy, kid and there was this sort of debate and AND i kind of at the time thought the atheist had won the. Debate but there was a response From Basil mitchell THAT i actually thought was very very, compelling AND i kept on returning to. It and the basic idea, Here i'm not going to do it. Justice SO i hope you and your listener listeners will forgive. Me but is this this idea that when you see something that doesn't comport with what you Think god should be, doing or you see something you see something that makes you, think, well Maybe god doesn't actually care about. Me the debate, is, really does that mean That god is real or does that mean That god is? False and What Basil mitchell says is, no, no, no, no you guys are kind of missing the. Point, absolutely when you see something happen that goes against divine, providence or when you see bad things to happen to good, people that absolutely does count against the idea That god loves human, beings but it doesn't count. Definitively in other, words it is something that should cause some, skepticism it is something that should cause some, humility but it's not something that should lead you to disregard your faith because the, ultimate you, know one of the ultimate truths of The christian faith is That god knows. Best now it requires again some humility to believe in, that it requires some patience to accept. It BUT i just this idea that you could see something that really did make you question your, faith but didn't make you discard. It the idea that it was okay to question and have, doubts even be angry At. God that was a very powerful thing for.
Speaker 4: Me, well it is.
Speaker 1: POWERFUL i left The Roman Catholic church for a dozen. YEARS i got brought back in By Archbishop charles shapewho listened to my radio show and, thought, no you got this all, wrong because the bishops went nuts in the Eighties Vice President. Vans they would send The Reagan White house letters on nuclear weapons and. Poverty they were just. Nuts they went over the left cliff AND i just couldn't take it. Anymore and the archbishop, explained and THEREFORE i was armored up against the pre, scandal, which by the, WAY i want the honest you deal with the pre, scandal the abuse, scandal and in a very forthright. WAY a lot Of catholics dodged, that And i'm very glad that you. Didn't the book would lack authenticity if you. Had do people still question you about that that they still have because it still lingers in the.
Speaker 2: Culture, well, YEAH i think it's one of those things that's always going to linger Over catholic culture because it was such a wounding thing for so Many, catholics that hurt so many people so, deeply and even those of, course key who weren't caught up in it, directly they were still offended by. It they were still asking, questions how could the church let this? Happen and for, Me, HUGH i write about this in the book that one of the things that happened is there was a Big Pennsylvania catholic abuse sort of reports that had come out right at the point WHERE i was talking With Father henry about becoming baptized and becoming received into The Catholic. Church and you, know my Wife, usha who is you, Know hugh is this brilliant. Lawyer there was a point where we're sitting at home late one night and she just absolutely Interrogates Father henry about this because she's, like If jad does, this then he's going to want to raise the kids in the. Church and we had you at the, time two little, boys and obviously loved them very much and didn't want anything like this to happen to. Them And Father henry later would describe it as the most difficult set of questions he's ever faced his entire. Life but again his point was if you read The, bible like if you read the foundational text of The christian, faith it tells you That god works through humans who are deeply, imperfect who are murderers and liars and all manner of bad, things and it's kind of one of these very unique but also you, know requires some humility to believe in That god works through imperfect. People and so the argument is not that The church is. Perfect the argument is not that the church always succeeds in its effort to help people and to serve. People the, argument, though is that this, institution in its very imperfect, way does reveal something About Jesus christ and his love for. People and you have to be able to accept the good and the bad and the same way that you have to be able to read The bible and, say, Well King david was this terrible, guy and yet he was the chosen person to kind of Implement god's kingdom at that time in. History and that is an interesting, Place. Hugh i've always been fascinated by, this by just the philosophy of. It That god doesn't sort of, say, Oh i'm going to come in and make everybody, perfect and everybody who serves me is going to be. Perfect he makes a much different claim about human, beings that he is the one True, god that his grace can transform, people but that he's going to work through these incredibly imperfect people who constantly fail to follow. HIM i think for a lot of people they say that's, Absurd but for, ME i, say that actually fits with the human nature As i've encountered.
Speaker 1: It, now if it's, persuasive if you adopt an intellectual approach To catholicism or To christianity in the, beginning and work through the various writers that you, do you'll get. There BEFORE i go back to, THAT i want to ask you about your level of. PRACTICE i know you've been, baptized you've had your first, communion you've had your first. Confession did you get, confirmed Mister Vice?
Speaker 2: President, well it's a good, Question. HUGH i, MEAN i believe that that happened as part of getting, baptized BECAUSE i had never been baptized, before and SO i actually didn't do a first confession because as you, know you, know when you do the, baptism if you've never been baptized, before that kind of washes away all those, sins and so the first CONFESSION i did was probably, ever you, know four or, five six weeks after, that so you, KNOW i basically just Followed Father henry's lead and did the things that he said THAT i needed to. Do and you, KNOW i what we do is we go to church every every. Week sometimes travel or the duties the vice president make that, harder but we still try to make it. Work and you, KNOW i try to go to confession every four, weeks every six, weeks AND i try to just follow The sacramental life as much AS i. Can AND i found that it has become easier over. Time and it's actually one of these things where you get better at it the more you practice at.
Speaker 1: It, oh the most winsent part of the book is getting your three now four babies ready to go to church or smalls because they rig, all they, yell they, pinch they. PUNCH i was one of those. Families my mom somehow managed to get through my dad's The, presbyterians who didn't often go to church with. Us he was at his own. Church BUT i thought that was The Every catholic family is going to recognize that. Story so well. DONE i was, wondering, though if you had a confirmation name and you obviously don't recall it or you would know you were.
Speaker 2: Confirmed, well, yeah so my confirmation name Is. Augustine SO i, GUESS i, GUESS i GUESS i was. Confirmed but oh, yeah it's funny that that exact word just never came up in the process Where Father henry, said or we're, gonna we're gonna choose a confirmation. Name he just you, know we chose the Name augustine for my, baptism and that's that's what we.
Speaker 4: Did good. CHOICE i mean that that's. Reaching that puts a lot on your, shoulders that's. Reaching do you do things for, You?
Speaker 2: Hugh it demands a lot of, you high.
Speaker 4: Expectations you got to read confessions at least. Once.
Speaker 1: Here do you, observe for, example All Saints day and the weak of The octave Of All souls where you can for the benefit of The catholic ca the. Audience catholics believe in The church militant on, earth The church suffering In, purgatory and The church triumphant in, heaven and The church militant can help out the church suffering during The week Of All saints and The octave Of All saints In. November do you do that for, Say mama or any of your, family or do you do any of that? Work is that something that's come across your raidar.
Speaker 4: Yet.
Speaker 2: YEAH i MEAN i go to church during the required, days during During All, saints During All Saints', day and OBVIOUSLY i do the prayers for the, dead and that includes the prayers for a lot of the people That i'm in, love but also just general prayers for the. DEAD i try To you, know What Father henry has told, Me, hugh is that you try to treat the church as a witness and you try to follow as much as. Possible AND i don't want to say That i'm perfect about, it Because i've, found for, example you, know there are certain days of, Obligation, hugh WHERE i will find out afterwards that it was a day of. OBLIGATION i didn't even. Know it didn't even.
Speaker 4: Try it doesn't count as a. Sentence he didn't. Know, yeah it doesn't.
Speaker 2: Count, well that's, good that's good to. Know BUT i still try to go to confession and try to be responsive to. It and you, KNOW i just my attitude towards, It, hugh is you try to follow the lead of the faith as much as, possible recognizing you're going to be imperfect about. It there are a lot of THINGS i will Say hugh as a sort of evangelical convert To. Catholicism there's certain things about it THAT i, find you, know culturally. DISTINCT i mean even confession, right the idea that earlier on and talk to a stranger about every bad thing that you've done over the last four or six. WEEKS i find that a little. Unusual BUT i just try to follow the. Rules AND i find that the more THAT i follow the, rules the BETTER i get at following those, rules and the MORE i start to realize that there's a real purpose to.
Speaker 1: It now you are now used to Be President biden and before That Nancy. Pelosi you're now the highest ranking Secular catholic In, america and with that comes a certain obligation to conduct yourself as Every catholic would wish you would conduct. Yourself have you felt that pressure.
Speaker 2: All the, time all the? Time AND i fail all the time to? YOU i, mean, look it's you, know you have debates with people and you try to be the. CHARITABLE i certainly fail to be. Charitable and you try to make the best version of an argument as, possible and you, know you try to conduct yourself in public life with maximal patience and. HUMILITY i think you try to do the best you, can and you recognize that you fail from time to, time and when you try to, fail you try to do. Better AND i write about this in the Book You. Know there was the famous Cat lady comment that you, KNOW i got the. CAMPAIGN i got myself in trouble during the twenty twenty four, campaign AND i sort of realized that there were two problems. There Number, ONE i just pissed a lot of people, off so they weren't sort of really able to hear the message THAT i was trying to, make and that to me was maybe the most important. Thing IS i was trying to make an argument that was very, real which is That, AMERICA i, think in the last twenty thirty, years has become more hostile and our leadership has become more blind to the plight of young. FAMILIES i think that's why THE covid thing was such a, disaster is you had a lot of people in positions of leadership who they weren't asking themselves questions like what happens when we mask three year? Olds? Indefinitely what effect does this have on young families when we try to force kids to sit at a computer screen instead of go to the. CLASSROOM i JUST i felt there was an important point to. Make and part of the era THAT i made is THAT i didn't make it in the right. WAY i turned people off instead of actually leading to some insight in some. Wisdom so you AND.
Speaker 1: I when you lived In virginia belonged to the same, parish AND i always went to the seven Am. MASS i think you rolled in at nine thirty or. ELEVEN i never crossed paths with you, there BUT i knew it was your.
Speaker 2: Church, also we try to do the eight.
Speaker 4: Thirty, OKAY i was at.
Speaker 1: Seven no, music Bad catholic music drives me, Crazy so it's a silent. Mass but on in that church Is Mark. Tison yesterday it took. It took a.
Speaker 4: Punch At mark. ONLINE i did in the burrito.
Speaker 1: Thing So i'm, curious do you ever regret that night that you took a punch at a Fellow catholic in your.
Speaker 2: Parish you know it was a joke. YOU i think that way at which you're you're, allowed you're allowed to you're allowed to punch, back and you're allowed to be a little bit. Humorous i'm sure it was not as chteritable AS i should have. Been but you know what what they. Is, Look i'm sure that he's a Good. CATHOLIC i certainly wish him the. BEST i think he's been a little bit unfair to me over the last couple of, weeks and SO i decided to hit back with a little bit of. SPICE i will say that if if, you if you read The, gospel you Know jesus has remarkable. Humility he also has a remarkable way with, words and So i'm always going to fall short of that. Example BUT i don't think that there's anything wrong with being a little spicy from time to. Time and you, know maybe in two years you'll all look back and, SAY i WISH i hadn't said, That but right NOW i feel pretty good about.
Speaker 4: That, Okay, okay.
Speaker 1: That's not going to be in that. CONFESSION i want to cover two big. Things one of the best lines in the, book one of the jobs of The christian, Statesman you're, right is to preserve the social cohesion that makes charity and generosity. Possible that is an ideal that's pretty hard to. Reach charity and generosity is something that should be expected of each. Person how do you try and do that.
Speaker 2: WELL i think one of the Things hugh is is you have to have an immigration policy that promotes social. Cohesion you, know when you send your kid to, school you want them to share the same language with the people that are in that. Classroom you want them to have something in common with the people that are in that. Classroom AND i do think that's possible with the tradition of immigration like The United states Of america. Has but one of the Criticisms i've had of some of the church leadership that's attacked our immigration. Policy and Again i'm not saying that we're always, perfect but the simple reality is that when you have too many immigrants who come in too, quickly with no proper procedure and no proper, vetting it actually does erode social. Trust it erodes the very foundation of cohesion that allows us to be generous to the poor and to ensure that you, know poor kids In america don't go hungry and don't lack you, know medical. Treatment those are important and good, things but those things exist on a foundation of social trust that sky high immigration actually. Erodes and So i've actually made this point in some of my conversations with The catholic leadership who criticized their immigration. POLICIES i, said, guys, look you, Know i'm all for being, charitable And i'm all for you, know you guys have a moral, witness And i'm not going to tell you shouldn't exercise that moral. Witness but you've got to recognize that our immigration policy is geared not just towards law and, order but towards ensuring That america has a functioning social. Feats you can't do that with too much and too rapid demographic.
Speaker 4: CHANGE i thought it.
Speaker 1: Was well argued in the, book AND i encourage people to read. That here's the most delicate AND i want to make SURE i put this the right. Way Ariel whitman will be on Later today's An israeli blogger and podcaster That i've been on his. PROGRAM i have a lot Of israelis on the. Show Haveviv Ready gore and Meet segahal and The Dave yea BECAUSE i want to figure out what they. Think there is a recurring. Thing they are afraid that, you YOU Jd vans are Anti israel or Anti, semitic AND i tell, them, no, no, no. No i've talked to the vice president since he ran for The. Senate you are getting that. Wrong part of that is The Catholic church's. Tradition you. Know John paul in two thousand went To jerusalem to make a. Tonement benedict wrote a book in twenty eleven, saying we are sorry because we caused the. Pogrims we've got a special obligation of The. Jews BUT i tell them that's not The vice. President are you frustrated by? That have you heard that suspicion that you're Anti, israel Anti, jewish Anti, semitic and what do you do about?
Speaker 4: It?
Speaker 2: Yeah i've certainly heard that, Criticism. HUGH i, MEAN i obviously think that it's. Unfair DO i AM i frustrated by? IT i mean, NO i think people are entitled to their, opinion AND i just have to do as good of a job AS i, can recognizing my. IMPERFECTIONS i have to do as good of a job AS i can and actually articulating WHAT i think and WHAT i. Believe and you, know my, Argument hugh On israel is, one it's a great. COUNTRY i love the. COUNTRY i love a lot of the people in. It some very very dear friends who are. THERE i also recognize that there are times when a Given israeli government is going to have interests that are different from The United states Of. America AND i think That, hugh a lot of young, people in particular Young, republicans but young people everywhere are looking at THE Us israel relationship and it's, really as you, Know, hugh built on a foundation of seventy eighty years of common values and common. Interests BUT i also think that sometimes when people defend The United States israel, relationship it's very easy to get trapped in slogans and you're the same, phrases and those phrases lose their. Meaning and so What i've tried to do is, say when we have shared interest with The, israelis they're a great partner and we're going to work. Together and when we don't have shared interests with The, israelis we're going to pursue our interests, distinctly with no, animosity of, course in the same way that we would do with The french of The, british two other allies where we have a great historical tradition of shared interests and shared. Values SO i really think that it's important for us to articulate why we work with the, country why we don't work with the. Country AND i think that there are Some israelis who are just so, used at least some people In israeli media who are so used to politicians just taking as a given That america And israel always have shared, interests WHEN i think the reality is that we often have shared interest but we don't. Always AND i don't think that makes me Anti, semitic AND i don't think it makes me anti israel JUST i think it makes me.
Speaker 4: Honest it.
Speaker 1: Doesn't and by the, way that is exactly the answer you gave to me when you were running For SENATE i don't know how many years, ago so you haven't, changed AND i that's WHAT i explained to My israeli. FRIENDS i want to close with a, suggestion Mister Vice president a the end of your book about my former Colleague Charlie. KIRK i was not close to him the way you. Are But I'm i'm the next generation older than. You you could be my, kids So i'm not. Surprised but it's a very generous thing that you wrote About charlie and what he was talking to you, about SO i could encourage people to read. That but there are a lot of Young catholic writers out, there and you mentioned rothoutit And Rod dreher is Not catholic But. Orthodox but you Got Ryan, anderson and you got people a little bit older Like Arthur brooks and And Frand mayer And Charles. Shape would you ever convene the younger ones and sort of get them talking about the church because you've got this great convening authority as the vice. President nobody turns down an invitation to come chat with the with the vice president about the.
Speaker 4: Church is that part of the? Job do you? Think?
Speaker 2: Absolutely let's let's do, It hugh AND i. WILL i will talk to you. Offline we'll get a good group. Together i'd love to get everybody together and chat about.
Speaker 1: Things i'll start With Ryan anderson and everyone out there listening start With. Communion it's a fabulous book and it's very well, read Mister Vice. President thanks for the extra time. TODAY i appreciate. It and a good.
Speaker 2: Week absolutely good to talk with.
Speaker 4: You thank.
Speaker 1: You my conversation now With Michelle, tafoya candidate For United States senate In. Minnesota, michelle good to see you. Again it's been a so cool day on the UU at. Show i'm talking with you With lisa dumuthe With Tom, wyler But i'm starting with you because voting starts. Today how do you feel about your?
Speaker 5: RACE i feel.
Speaker 6: GOOD i feel very, good But i'm not one to count my chickens before they.
Speaker 4: Hatch.
Speaker 6: Here that the the the Primaries, tuesday and we've been doing everything we can to finish strong through the, tape and that's what we're going to keep. Doing but at this, Point poland looks. Good but you, know Sometimes poland can fool.
Speaker 4: You, okay let's look ahead for a.
Speaker 1: Moment if you are the, nominee how are you gonna Beatte peggy? Flanagain because she's as radical as Elsiad but people don't know.
Speaker 6: That we've got to point that out to, everybody and actually some people do know. It, look she's the sitting lieutenant. Governor she's been at the right hand Of Tim walls for these last eight, years and she's proven to be maybe even more radical than he, is but at least so at least as. Much so it's going to be our job to really point out what that would mean for this state if she were to represent us in The, Senate so that's our. Job i've already talked To democrats who are willing to come over if she is the. Nominee SO i think we have a really good message and a great contrast to.
Speaker 4: Sell how does it work with the fraud?
Speaker 1: Investigation Do minnesotans like to talk about that or are they embarrassed by the fact that their state was hoodwinked out of billions of?
Speaker 5: Dollars depends what's side of the aisle there.
Speaker 6: On you, know you've Got Keith ellison And Tim walls refusing to talk about it at. All even these Two democrat candidates FOR Us senate don't talk about the. Fraud they don't acknowledge, it they don't address, it they don't ask for corrections or repercussions or. Accountability so that is a. Shame i'm willing to talk about it all day long because it really propelled me to want to run for this.
Speaker 4: Office, so, look it is.
Speaker 6: Bad Most minnesotans are terribly embarrassed by. It they're embarrassed By, Walls they're embarrassed By Keith ellison and the way he's handled. This and it's amazing to, Me, hugh THAT i talk to people who are you, know it's, summertime they're, traveling no matter where they, go if it's out of state or out of the, country they are embarrassed to say they are From minnesota because we've had years and years of. This now we've been at the epicenter of a lot of. Tumult but this was an unforced, error a self inflicted, wound this, fraud and people are angry and they want to see, accountability not just for the criminals who stole the, money but for the people who enabled. It and we hope that's.
Speaker 1: Coming talk to me about The somali Community Smalley american in recent arrivals From. Somalia are they active in? Politics are they embarrassed by the scandal which has been predominantly within their.
Speaker 6: COMMUNITY i some, Are some are ashamed of. That you, know they've come here as honest. Brokers they want to help build the, community they want to live. Here but there's a lot of not talking about. It, again when you talk to Ilhan, omar who is a very strong representative of that, community she doesn't want to talk about. It she'd rather focus on other. Things so it's it's, difficult you, KNOW i don't want to paint the whole community with a broad, brushstroke but it is in the paperwork that the vast majority of especially feeding our, future but even some of these medicaid fraud items were committed by this community and money being shipped back To. Somalia that's in the. Paperwork that's not an, opinion So i've address.
Speaker 1: It i've been broadcasting from a And tobata The patriot for twenty seven. Years i'm on In, duluth live in the. State there are a lot of great concerts, there Like Hender rocker And Scott johnson and the people at Power. Line but there's also The strip and it's just the left wingiest left wing newspaper in the. World are they trying to kill? You are They what are they doing to?
Speaker 6: YOU i don't they haven't tried to kill me. Yet but you approach them with a level of mistrust because they don't represent things. WELL a perfect example when you talk about this fraud last, year at the end of the, year you, know all the papers AND tv shows do their end of the year's. Story what were the biggest stories of twenty twenty? Five they did not mention fraud in The Star. Tribune, wow that's that's.
Speaker 5: Just just almost.
Speaker 6: Laughable actually it is. Laughable it's not almost. Laughable everyone looked at that and, said, well how could that not be one of the biggest stories of twenty twenty. Five so you, know we are careful and there are a lot of conservatives who are, very very reluctant to talk to a lot of the media outlets. Here but, LOOK i want to get my message. Out you're looking At Nick, shirley who did a lot of the work for, them and if not for that twenty four year, OLD i think he. Is now you got to wonder you talked About John, hinderocker THE ceo of The center for The American, experiment and his group has done a ton of research on this fraud and they're doing a fraud tour this summer where you.
Speaker 5: Get to connect the.
Speaker 6: Dots but Until Nick shirley made it really simple and showed everyone with his phone camera the quality.
Speaker 4: Leering, center clearing, center, breaking the liaring.
Speaker 5: Center.
Speaker 4: Yep, Yeah, Well, MICHELLE i want to close with. It what's your?
Speaker 1: Website if people want to get involved in help, you whether up In minnesota or across The United, states what's the?
Speaker 6: Website It's Michelle tafoya dot. Com it's really, Simple, michelle with ONE L T a F o Y. A i imagine if people you know put it in their search, engine they'll be directed to. It but we would love to. Help we want To this is a great, State. Hugh you know that you've been. Here there's so much to love About. Minnesota we want to get it back on track and.
Speaker 7: We can do.
Speaker 6: This you can be the first campaign in twenty. Years Norm coleman was the Last republican senator for the state Of.
Speaker 7: Minnesota we're going to break that.
Speaker 6: Streak we're gonna do it.
Speaker 1: Well if you're, Close i'll come to The fair. AGAIN i hadn't broadcast from The fair in probably five, years But i'm sure you'll be living there at the end of the. Month Michelle, tafoya good to see you. Again michelletafoya dot. Com we're Any Race. America I'm Hugh. Hewett it Is Minnesota day on The Huqwitt, show because they've begun voting there and they will wrap up On tuesday next in their governor and senator. Races i'm pleased to welcome The speaker of The Minnesota, House lisa De, muth who's running for. Governor, Welcome Madam. Speaker how goes the campaign Up?
Speaker 8: North, well great to have a conversation with, You, hugh and things are going very well in our race for. Governor this is my opportunity AS i run for, governor win the primary On, tuesday but to really Give minnesota a comeback that is so desperately needed here in our, state given all of the fraud and all of the failures that we have had Under democrat control here in the state for too.
Speaker 1: Long your press office put out your statement today on illegal. Immigration why is that important to be putting out.
Speaker 4: A week before the?
Speaker 8: Vote you, know WHEN i look at the issues of illegal immigration, here especially in the state Of, MINNESOTA i have fought in my time in the, legislature specifically during my time As speaker of The, house to end some of the policies That democrats have put in place that has Made minnesota become a magnet for illegal immigration and. FRAUD i was able to end the taxpayer funding of illegal immigrant health. Care it was four times what have been projected Under democrat. Control and so making sure that we are following federal immigration laws is a priority for. Me and for the state Of minnesota to make sure that our taxpayer dollars are, safe that we're Providing minnesota benefits For. Minnesotans AND i do believe that we need to look at some changes with our federal immigration. Laws but offering amnesty such As Mike, lindell one of the Other republicans actually running for, governor an amnesty plan that he's put into, place that is not the answer For.
Speaker 1: Minnesota all, right, now tell me about how you would tackle the fraud dirigible that is hovering over the state Of.
Speaker 4: Minnesota if you're the, governor you, Know, Hugh.
Speaker 8: Fraud In minnesota has, exploded AND i would say that there has been incompetence after sixteen years Of democrat control here in the state Of, minnesota but especially under the Failed walls administration over the last eight. Years it is a complete failure and waste of our tax. Dollars for much too, long The minnesota media And democrats In minnesota would not take fraud. Seriously my time in the, LEGISLATURE i have pushed AND i was able to get through An office Of Inspectors. GENERAL i was able to put more whistleblower protections in but that was only after an independent, YouTuber Nick shirley came in at the end of last year and exploded what was known or what we As republicans that expected or thought was actually going on in our. State he exploded That democrats no longer could hide from.
Speaker 4: IT i put.
Speaker 8: Together a fraud prevention an agency oversight committee WHEN i Became speaker a year, ago and Again democrats can't hide from the fraud that they have allowed to go on under their.
Speaker 1: Watch all, right last, Question lisa De, Mute you And Mike lindell are running for the nomination to go Against Amy. Klobuchark why are you the better candidate to beat? Her she's going to be formidable in the general election just because she's been there. FOREVER i, mean she's been On minnesota's ballot forever and hadn't been county and then in The. Senate why are you better Than lindell to beat?
Speaker 8: HER i have the best chance of Beating Amy klobashar And. Hugh WHEN i got into this, RACE i never thought it was going to be. Easy But i'm also the one that led The republican caucus in The house to ending The democrat control in the. State in twenty twenty. Four the reason THAT i am better For minnesota IS i have proven. Leadership i've gone up Against democrats already in one with Becoming, speaker helping to end fraud or at least expose.
Speaker 5: It and there is more that needs to be. DONE i have the.
Speaker 8: Ability to work across the aisle because we've been in a tie in The house Of, representatives And i'm the best one to. Gain, yes The republican, votes but those independent votes or Those democrats that are tired of what has happened with their party here In minnesota and what has been allowed to go. On SO i am ready to win this primary On tuesday night and then go on and Give Amy Klobashar Senator klobshar the biggest fight For minnesota that she has ever.
Speaker 4: Seen what is your?
Speaker 1: Website your campaign website if people want to help you or sign up to get out the vote next?
Speaker 8: Week great for M n dot. Com that's L i S a F O r M n dot. Com please check it out and be involved in the.
Speaker 1: Process lisa formn dot. Com nice to meet, You LISA. D mute and good luck next. Week, uh don't go Anywhere. America i've got more coming. Up Tom wiler is going to be here at the bottom of the arm Covering minnesota extensively today if you haven't figured that out yet because they've begun. Voting BUT i do want to tell you about a few of our sponsors WHILE i have a moment. Here took a lot of time with The vice president in the FIRST. Ar i'm going to replay that nour number. Three, first let me tell you About andrewintodd dot Com TRIPLE a TRIPLE a eleven seventy, Two TRIPLE a triple eight eleven seventy. Two whether you want to buy a house In Minneso, cold whether you want to buy house In, florida whether you want to buy house in Southern, california wherever you want to buy a, House andrew and toodd dot com are a. Bank they do the bank for. You they underwrite the, loan they lend you the. Money TRIPLE a triple eight eleven seventy. Two they have served thousands of people who listen to THE uuit, show including me your. Os they did my loan WHEN i moved From california back to The beltwagh in twenty. Sixteen they've Done dwayne's. Loan they've done a lot of loans for people in The sale network over the fifteen plus years That andrew And todd have been advertising on The Huwit. Show And i've never had one, complaint not one complaint in all those. Years, now a complaint here or there about a sponsor is kind of part for the. Course not With andrew de L ray And todd Ev. Aken they're wonderful human, beings Fine christian. Men they take care of their. Clients so whether you're a veteran you don't want to put any money, down a first time home, buyer you want to do AN faha, loan or you want to go to TRIPLE a triple eight eleven seventy two to, refinance all, right you just need to get money out of your. House you've been hanging on to your three and a half percent mortgage or your four percent, mortgage and you realize rates are just not going to come down as quickly as you need the. Money it's a math. Question Trust andrew And todd to help you, out and they will not let you get too much of a. Loan they will not let you refinance if it's not a smart financial.
Speaker 4: Move that's why they are so. Trusted triple, Eight triple.
Speaker 1: Eight eleven seventy, Two andrew And todd are based In, california as is my next, Sponsor besthotgrill Dot. Com now a lot of you have heard me talking About rhett And irene for a lot of. Years that's because they're very good friends of. Mine they're very good friends Of dwayne AND i have A claire infrared grill on The West coast And i've got one on The east. Coast why it's the best grill made In. America from zero to one thousand degrees in three. Minutes that's, right zero to one thousand degrees in three minutes and best hot. Grill if you're watching on your screen on THE Sam news, channel you'll see they have a variety of mation, models actually forty different. Combinations they've got the portable best hot. Grail they get the built in they have the cart. Models whatever you want hot and fast and it ca be. Portable they're. Amazing so we're in forredgrills made In. America they're absolutely. Amazing they're the best grill that you can. Get but the only way you can get them is to go to a dealership that has licensed to carry, them but you really ought to go directly to their website best hootgrill dot. Com i've been talking about them for. Years i've been using them for. Years you will thank me when you get the best hookgrill dot. Com find me this. Segment i'm going to remind you we are on our two hundred and fiftieth anniversary. Year that's what took me to The ohio over the. Weekend maybe a little bit, sick a little bit of rain stuck with me a few.
Speaker 4: Days but that's.
Speaker 1: Okay we celebrated the two hundred and fiftieth anniversary of the signing of The declaration Of independence that occurred On august. Second we were at The Peri memorial courtesy of The Lake Erie Heritage. Foundation it's President Dave. Zevagno we had a great. Crowd more than ten thousand people signed the. Replica it was a great freedom. Walk there were the descendants of the original. Signers everybody In ohio knows about The declaration Of. Independence BUT i want to talk to you about a two fifty toolkit dot com slash hue that's run by our friends And americans For. Prosperity they're running The Declaration project consistent with WHAT i was doing this. Weekend The Declaration project asks, you each and every one of you to get involved in making sure but people understand what The declaration is. About The Declaration project is all featured over at a two fifty toolkit dot. Com it's the foundation Of american. Liberty it's the first document to ever invoke natural lights and the creator that is the source of our, rights not a, government not, mankind not the generation that went before, us But god and The declaration Of independence is the focus of The Declaration, project run by our friends At americans For. Prosperity you can get, Involved you can take the pledge to read and remember and talk about with your family and friends what The declarations state fans. For but the first step is to go to the website a too fifty toolkit dot com slash. Hugh, okay the letter a toolkit two words two fifty in number to a two fifty toolkit dot com slash, hugh sign up for The Declaration, project join the. Effort you'll be glad you did celebrate Our jordan fiftieth in the right way and come right back to THE UUs, showcase they have to talk to another fabulous. Candidate Lloy buckout wants to be congresswoman From North.
Speaker 4: Carolina first stay with, Us welcome back in, there time you do. It LISA.
Speaker 1: D muth is going to be our next congresswoman From North, carolina First Congressional. District i'll call her colonel because that's what she was when she retired from the. Army And Colonel, dmuth welcome to the. Program last TIME i talked to, YOU i think you were the Acting Assistant secretary Of defense for. Cybersecurity who recruited, you who recruited you to run for this?
Speaker 5: Thing, hey SO i ran last? Time who recruited? ME a bunch of local folks here In North carolina were looking at me as somebody who is a strong, conservative as a good background of national security. ECONOMICS i ran my own small, Business SO i got recruited last, time lost by a point and a, half and we got redistricted to a slightly More republican. District i'm not a, quitter couldn't walk away from this race and just fired up to. Go so kind of got recruited by the local folks who wanted to see a Strong republican run who understood the economy and was close To President.
Speaker 1: Trump, Now, COLONEL i believe the first district is the northern border Of North. Carolina how did they tweak your?
Speaker 5: Boundaries they added a few more southern counties so it goes all along the, beach and it added five, counties took away a couple more that were central in the, state and added some very conservative counties further down.
Speaker 4: South, oh very.
Speaker 1: Good we like me, Districting so tell us about your. Opponent we do just what the race is turning.
Speaker 5: On, HEY i think this race is going to turn on the fact that this district is a very poor district and it's been that way for. Decades it's Been democrat for a very long, time for, decades and it's been at the bottom of the poverty, level not just statewide but nationally for literally. Decades my opponent Is Don. Davis we call him do Nothing. Don he hasn't moved the needle at all on, prosperity on, business on, jobs on anything in the. District he's done just literally. Nothing we call him do Nothing. Don AND i think people are ready for a. Change the folks that are new in the district in Those republican counties are definitely not going to put up with, him AND i think folks throughout the district have realized nothing will get better as long as you've got A democrat Like Don davis in.
Speaker 1: Charge let's remember what is your website so that people can help you out with a contribution or volunteer. Time how do they find The dumouth?
Speaker 5: Campaign it's actually The buckout.
Speaker 4: Campaign but on, Sorry, laurie that's, okay that's.
Speaker 9: Okay, hey it's she's great, too by the, Way but It's Laurie buckout L A u R I e B u C k h O U t For congress dot.
Speaker 5: Com easy to.
Speaker 1: Find, YEAH i just had On lisa From minnesota right before. You that's WHY i was looking at my sheet AND i forgot it is. Candidate so let's focus On Lori. Buckout Colonel, Buckout, colonel you've been watching the current battle With. Iran you know what is involved with, this especially on the cyber. Side they're taking down some of our water quality. Programs do you think we're punching back in the cyber? Arena we just don't know about.
Speaker 5: It that's exactly the. Case you, know these programs are highly. Classifying you've got to have a need to, know and you, know, frankly the enemy doesn't need to know everything that we're. Doing they don't need to have our. TTPs they don't need to know every time that something happens that it is even necessarily us and that it can be attributed to. Us SO i know we're punching. BACK i know we're taking care of, business and, frankly the less a lot of folks know about, that the.
Speaker 4: Better i'll leave it at that.
Speaker 1: Then But Colonel buckett talked to us about the, district and if you've got a military, President i'm kind of amazed there's Any democrats From North carolina given the number of retirees you have from the military they're and active.
Speaker 5: Duty, yeah, absolutely so for. Starters there's over eighty thousand veterans in my, district and we have not been taking care of veterans very well in the. District President trump has made a big, difference but we can definitely do better in my district. Alone i've got The Coast guard base In Elizabeth city And i've got Cherry Port Marine corps Air, Station so those are the two big ones THAT i Have Camp La june is just right out of my, district And Seymour Air Force base is just right out of my, district so we dry in retirees from both of those. Areas there's a lot of work to be done in supporting both of those installations and making sure that we're bringing jobs. There we're bringing more programs, there especially In Marine. Corps Air Station Cherry point is a fantastic launching point For atlantic operations and a Fantastic East coast launching point for, operations so we want to bring more capabilities down there to show this is a great place for the military to do.
Speaker 1: Business where did you spend most of your, Career, Colonel was it In North carolina or all over the?
Speaker 5: World, no pretty much all over the, World SO i was an army. BRAT i grew up all over the place to include In. Europe was actually born In. Virginia when my dad was at The. Pentagon he Was World war Two, Korea. Vietnam my mother was A World war two the light. Nurse she was pretty bad, Too so dad retired WHEN i was a little girl in The Cenandeau valley and THEN i went to school ON rotc. Scholarship got sent all, over spent time in The Middle, east tours In, iraq a lot of time In, europe and a little time IN dc WHEN i retired out of The. Pentagon so does do?
Speaker 1: Nothing don debate. YOU i doubt he really would want to do, That colonel Buck, OUT.
Speaker 5: I don't think, so you. KNOW i, Mean i'm pretty on to go after anything. THERE i feel very comfortable with the, issues of, course national, security global, issues but very comfortable with issues in the district and pointing out the facts that this district needs. Help it needs a lot of. Work it needs somebody who's got some, energy some understanding of, economics and is ready to bring businesses down here and bring.
Speaker 4: JOBS i also assume you know how to work With.
Speaker 1: Congress if you were acting assistant secretary AT DoD you know how that, works so you could be on the other side and just on the first day know what you wanted to.
Speaker 5: Do Right and, no, ABSOLUTELY i MEAN i was privileged to work as Assistant secretary of De men's For cyber working on getting some major budgets passed for for, cybersecurity for offensive, cyber for the military and other, organizations SO i know how to do. THAT i feel comfortable doing. That that's SOMETHING i want to lean, into is that experience THAT i had to help this.
Speaker 1: District and so last question about, affordability which is the million dollar word in this campaign. Cycle are they feeling it In North carolina one or does that somehow escape the angel of eye prices swooping over?
Speaker 5: It you, KNOW i think everybody's feeling it to a. Degree but you look at What President's trump has. Done the economy is actually doing better THAN i think the naysayers want to have it. Do gas prices are going, down of, course they're fluctuating based On. Iran nobody talks about egg prices anymore because they've gotten so much. Lower so, YEAH i think affordability continues to be an. Issue as a national security, PERSON i have to lean into the fact that war With, iran or this ongoing tussle With, iran whatever we want to call, it is definitely worth it for keeping the keeping nuclear weapons out of the hands of people who are just so. Unstable SO i think we're doing all, Right dana, here we can do, better all.
Speaker 1: Right so last, question, Website let's make sure people know where to go to contribute and to help you out if they can volunteer.
Speaker 5: Absolutely thank you so. Much and It's lori L A U R I e last name buck out b u C k h O U t For congress dot.
Speaker 4: Com and is the four the number four or is it FO r.
Speaker 5: F O?
Speaker 4: R thank?
Speaker 1: You Louri buckout f O R congress dot. Com louribuckout f O R congress Dot. Com thank, you. COLONEL i look forward to talking to you again before the general election In. November we want to remind everyone this is one of the gettable flips for The Republican THE nrcc told me, so AND i believe. Them they know their own. Numbers, Colonel thank you so. Much i'll be right back In. America stay tuned to the CONFE a. Show welcome back In.
Speaker 4: America on you.
Speaker 1: Here Tom weiler joins me. Now he is also a candidate for The United States senate And. Minnesota, Hello, tom whin's the? Vote how do you feel about?
Speaker 4: It, Hello.
Speaker 10: Hugh vote is actually today any day up until Next, tuesday the eleventh Of. August And i'm feeling. Good we are run sort of a submarine style. Campaign we've been stealthy early and we're getting our name out right. Now we're having a big search here at the end everywhere from yard signs all the way.
Speaker 3: To talking with, You. Hugh SO i feel pretty.
Speaker 10: GOOD i think we're gonna shock a lot of folks here In minnesota and get a big win in the primary and move on To november.
Speaker 1: THREE i expect The democrats Of minnesota to Nominate Peggy, flanagan who's a. Radical why are you the best candidate to take her on a?
Speaker 10: Transition it just comes out to, experience, UNDERSTANDING uh tested leadership throughout my military and national security, career and fundamentally a problem solving me an acumen that THAT i can uniquely bring to this job to attack the, many many problems that Face United States, senate make develop, solutions get team teams In congress and The senate to support those, solutions actually get the ball across the goal line that will fundamentally Improve minnesota's. Lives and that's Why i'm. Running solve problems IN dc and help solve problems In Saint paul to Improve Minnesota minnesotan's lives back here in the great state Of.
Speaker 1: Minnesota do you think Most minnesota voters understand what it took to become a commander in the submarine fleet as you.
Speaker 10: Were you know that's that's, uh not, exactly BUT i think there a lot of them are understanding when we when we meet, people has a chance to interact with. People like, Today i'm out At, farmfest you, know we we. Were we just get a really good, reception and it seems like almost everyone we talked to walks away Saying i'm going to vote for. You i'm going to talk to my friends and. Family so the word of mouth is really what's going to get us across the finish, LINE i, Think and you, know, politicians especially for a, submariners is something you need to jump into talking about yourself so. Much BUT i have developed just a simple matrix That i've sent out on all my social media And i've, written bought some maagine the newspapers actually and all this simply is the sixteen committees in The United States senate and it compares my experience professional experience with the other candidates in the.
Speaker 3: Race AND i got a lot Of greens on my, side.
Speaker 10: And other candidates have a lot of, Reds so green demonstrates experience and with, THAT i THINK i Think minnesota's understanding AND i will be the most effective senator Because i'm enough to BE i know enough to be.
Speaker 3: Dangerous in The United States, senate.
Speaker 1: There have been a lot of debates Between republicans And. Democrats what did The republicans In minnesota disagree?
Speaker 3: About, well you bring up.
Speaker 10: Debates, unfortunately just YESTERDAY i was shutn out of another debate here In. Minnesota And Michelle tafoya is Running i'm running against her in The republican, primary and she has basically run The biden basement. Campaign, Unfortunately i've never had the chance to debate.
Speaker 3: Her but she doesn't.
Speaker 10: Really have any any in depth solutions to the Problems minnesota. Space she just sort of sticks with the talking. Points i've developed a just a simple table with the nine most common problems That i've Heard minnesota's.
Speaker 3: Discuss with my.
Speaker 10: Nine, solutions AND i do deviate from the Standard republican and a lot of those. ISSUES i addressed, IMMIGRATION i addressed The american, divisiveness and right at the top of, course It's minnesota fraud and The minnesota struggling. Economy AND i have, ideas specific solutions to help one in fraud that's just straight accountability and holding people responsible And, secondly to start propelling The minnesota economy. Forward we've been stagging up here for a number of years Under Governor, walls in twenty years of democratic.
Speaker 3: Control so it's time to chart a new course From.
Speaker 10: Minnesota and we're getting, it getting a lot of folks, excited AND i think we're gonna do quite well In tuesday's.
Speaker 1: Primary what do you say about the, Fraud John, MOYLER.
Speaker 10: I just, one it's, unacceptable and, two it's the accountability on the people on.
Speaker 3: Top when you're a, SUBMARINER i was on gonna be THE exo of THE Uss.
Speaker 10: Michigan when you're THE, xo number two in, command everything that occurs on that ship and with the crew of that ship is your. Responsibility i'm running against The lieutenant governor Of Penny fillin, again the number two of the, state and she has yet to admit any of the nine to twenty billion dollars of fraud fraud money stolen From minnesota tax payers that she's.
Speaker 3: Yet to admit she has any responsibility of.
Speaker 10: That so the biggest thing is just holding people, accountable all the way up to the leading folks in, government all the way down to Every minnesota and parent who received a kickback on a monthly basis because they got their kid of fake autism. Diagnosis and that number is in the. Thousands unfortunately up here In minnesota and right now we've held a couple of people accountable by the numbers of like one hundred and fifty two hundred.
Speaker 3: PEOPLE i, mean there's thousands. Here and it needs to be a.
Speaker 10: Proactive old people accountable and the punishment.
Speaker 3: Has to have a turn. Effect those are the two ways we need to stop fraud here In.
Speaker 1: Minnesota And Tom, wyder last, question what's your website for people who are, Listening.
Speaker 3: Tom wiler twenty twenty six dot.
Speaker 10: Com for All minnesotas out, there get out and, vote and LIKE i tell, everyone vote early and often. Legally of, course you vote for me today or anytime before Next, Tuesday august, eleventh and then hopefully you can vote for me again on the.
Speaker 1: Verb, Third Tom, weiler good to see you, again old friend FROM dc.
Speaker 4: Day it's good to see a.
Speaker 1: Commander don't give up the, ship as we say at The battle of The lake. Area if you're around that at any, Times Tom, wyler thank you so. Much i'll be right back In america's, Paycha my, friends you've probably seen the headlines are.
Speaker 4: Worse your latest.
Speaker 1: Bill Meg wireless is raising rates. Again that means you could be paying more for the same service or getting listen to a price your plan you simply do not.
Speaker 4: Need that's not.
Speaker 1: Right you can switch to Consumer sellutor right now and saving additional fifty. Dollars when you go To consumerselluler dot com slash hue and use the promo Code hugh fifty and if you happen to be over the age of, fifty listen to. This you can get a single line with unlimited, talk text and data for just thirty five dollars a. Month remember their numbers eight hundred and four to, one one forty four to fifty, four eight hundred four to, one one forty four to fifty, four eight hundred four one one forty four to fifty. Four Consumer cellular ranks number one for network coverage and for customer satisfaction according TO. Acsi and when you, switch you'll talk to an actual human being base right here in The United. States no long term, contracts no inden. Fees you can keep your phone or choose a new, one get an additional fifty dollars off when you switch today using promo Code.
Speaker 4: Hugh fifty and do not.
Speaker 1: Forget if you are over, fifty you get a single, line unlimited, talk text and data for thirty five dollars a. Month Visit Consumer cellular Dot com Slash hugh and use promo Code hugh fifty or call one eight hundred and fifty four and use promo Code hugh.
Speaker 11: Fifty half a century, Later watergates still shapes How americans, viewpower scandal and. Trust this, weekend The america two fifty film series Presents Watergates secrets And. Betrayals revisit the investigation through archival, footage, interviews and new arguments about what. Happened Launched saturday And sunday at seven Pm eastern On Salem News.
Speaker 4: Channel welcome back In.
Speaker 1: America I'm Hugh hugh At Josh crassa or joined, me editor in chief Of Jewish, Insider. Josh welcome. BACK a couple of things to cover with you first next, Time i'm Gonna Havel whitman. On he's the op ed editor At globes In. Israel he's the host of The Western spirit. Podcast have you come Across aral?
Speaker 12: YET i definitely know who he, is BUT i have not been a regular reader of his.
Speaker 1: Work pretty interesting. Character i'll recommend him to. You, SECONDLY i had The Vice president on today And i'm going to replay the interview next. HOUR i asked him about the belief widespread Among israelis and Some American, jews that he's Anti israel or Anti, semitic and he rejects it fundamentally and. Thoroughly same answered gave me like five years. Ago, No i'm very Pro. Israel it's just our interest sometimes. Diverge is that enough for him to make the.
Speaker 12: Case, Well, LOOK i think there are two two parts to the concern among a lot Of Jewish americans About Vice President. Fance, LOOK i think he's Perfectly he's been more critical Of israel than a lot of other leading figures in the. Administration but you, know certainly compared to we're a lot of, folks especially on the left ar and, POLITICS i, mean vance his views are not not. All but you, KNOW i think it's less about his views On israel that he that he's in his critiques in recent months on, podcasts AND i think it's more about his associations and his refusal to denounce folks Like Tucker carlson on the Anti semitic far right that have raised concerns in The jewish.
Speaker 4: Community so when.
Speaker 12: You have both those associations and his unwillingness to condemn the outright Anti semitism coming from those podcast, figures uh and and and and those associations he, has and then you combine that, with you, know the more vocal critiques he's offered Of israel and skepticism of some of the military engagements uh, internally at least within within the private conversations in The White. House that's what's raising a lot of a lot of. CONCERNS i don't THINK i think there's plenty of room for him to kind of make nice and and and and and and you, know regain confidence among a lot of Pro israel. Voters but there are a lot of reasons beyond just his most recent comments About israel that have raised.
Speaker 1: Questions let's probe THAT i have been blasting, al Said Abdul Rahman. Il say, YOU i don't want to get him mad at me from his pronouncing his. Name Abduur Rahman el said The Senate Democratic radical Candidate. Michigan he is like stabled at the hipto Son piker who's just An islamist anti semi and.
Speaker 4: He goes everywhere with him and they stream.
Speaker 1: Together that's an association that he has to answer for the vice. PRESIDENT i actually haven't seen him With Tucker carlson since he became vice president of.
Speaker 12: YOU i, mean you have to go, BACK i think to The charlie AND i think right after The Charlie kirk. ASSASSINATION i think they both. Did DID i think he filled in on on the there was a show they did, together or he filled In but, YEAH i mean it's been a little bit of of. Time but the big, question both internally and, publicly is THAT i think a lot of folks would like to, see you, know someone who has a close relationship with with With Tucker carlson to be much more outspoken on the Anti semitism that's come from from his end of the far.
Speaker 1: Right but it's that it's the assertion of a close relationship THAT i don't believe is born. NOW i, MEAN i don't see him on his. PODCAST i don't see Him palin around a close relationship is A Son piker And elsayatt would you agree with? That that's a close. Relationship oh of.
Speaker 12: COURSE i, mean, Look i'll say it And piker were campaigned in the final day together of the of the of the, Primary so, yes and then there's a much bigger. Difference BUT i, also you, know it's pretty well documented that That carlson was a big champion Of trump Picking vance as his running made in the twenty twenty four in the run up to the twenty twenty four reelection or election. Campaign and you, know, again there there have been it's not just that. Relationship there have been moments on college. Campuses you've talked about This hue When vance has spoken At Turning point, rallies and there's a real, vile noxious.
Speaker 4: Anti semitism that comes up with some of the.
Speaker 12: Speakers AND i think there's been a widespread concern that The vance's pushback has not been as aggressive as it could be from a leader in the country as the vice president of The United.
Speaker 1: States, okay the transcriptors area and go over and read it at h hewitt dot. Com see what his answer. Is let's talk about el, SAID i believe you you posted that while they're making nice in public In. Michigan N Alie stevens AND l, Said in, fact those wounds are too. DEEP i can't imagine An american jew voting FOR l. Said can you.
Speaker 12: Look if you look at the precinct by precinct results In jewish communities Across, MICHIGAN i, mean it looks about seventy five to eighty percent Of jewish. VOTERS i will probably get a more specific number when we can kind of crunch do a little more number, crunching but it looks like it's about a four to five to one margin in the Most jewish areas In, detroit in The Oakland county from For stevens over L sai ed in The democratic. Primary SO i, mean, look it's. Good there's gonna be a big Swing hugh in the general. Election we reported A Jewish insider that there are a lot of very Prominent Democratic jewish leaders that are already either coming out for Supporting Mike, rodgers very Mainstream republican former, congressman or very close to doing. That so you're going to be SEEING i think a lot of notable names in The democratic, community in the moderate space in The jewish Among jewish leaders and. Beyond there's a real alarm about the radicalism That elsad brings to the. Table, now look on the other, side you Have stevens And Gretchen, whitmer the, governor and a lot of the leaders of the party endorsing L sayeed and getting to playing team. Ball, Notably Hillary, skulton one of the more Moderate democrats in the, delegation has been very outspoken and said has not said she would Support El, saied.
Speaker 4: But a lot of Other democrats.
Speaker 12: Have and it's going to be a partisan mud fight for A senate election that could very well decide who has The senate.
Speaker 1: Majority Has Alissa slotkin the Other democratic, Senator Gary peters is. Retiring Melissa slotkin Beat Mike rogers by a very narrow margin in twenty twenty. Four Has Alissa slotkin put her arms Around el sai.
Speaker 6: Ed.
Speaker 12: She's. ENDORSED i don't know if she's put her arms around. Him i'm not sure if she was at there was our unity rally for the. Party i'm not sure if she was. There BUT i do know that she quickly endorsed him after he won the. Nomination AND i think one thing if you talk To Hailey stephens, supporters that they were very. Privately i've talked to a number of them. Privately very upset about is That, slockin even with the governor's endorsement Of, Stevens slopkin.
Speaker 4: Stayed on the.
Speaker 12: Sideline she's a national Security democrat who's thinking maybe of running for president as a, moderate as someone who's going to steer the party in a more moderate, direction and she did not have the gumption to endorse the candidate who much more closely a Matgined and she's you, know if you can't endorse against someone who's aligned with A san piker and his Anti american, views and you claim to be a nation FORMER cia, agent a national security leader in the, party and that tells you a lot about where The Democratic party is right. Now And hailey steven supporters think If slockin, endorsed given how close that race, was If slockin had the courage to Endorse, stevens she probably would have won the nomination and prevented a.
Speaker 4: ROUND i think you're, Right.
Speaker 1: Josh we'll follow that story very very closely with you throughout the next three. Months Follow josh on Exit josh Cross. Ower you meet him at The Jewish. Insider you can subscribe for free for two weeks Over jewish insider Dot. Com thank, You. Josh stay Tuned. America i'll be welcome Back. AMERICA a few weeks, AGO i found a New israeli, Podcaster Ariel. Whitman he actually found. ME i was enjoyed my time on his, Podcast The Western, spirit SO i thought we'd have a home and away. Discussion, Ariel welcome to The huhuite. Show tell people a little bit about yourself and what you do In.
Speaker 13: Israel So i'm the op ed editor At israel's most read financial. Newspaper we're sort of like The Wolf Street journal's sister. Paper we actually take stuff from, them so we work. Together AND i have the, podcast which is my own, thing which we did which was a lot of.
Speaker 7: Fun by the, way it went on much longer THAN i. Thought it was so much. Fun, well thank you.
Speaker 1: For having WHAT i do how many times a week to do The Western, spirit and let's tell people how to find The Western spirit so that they subscribe and like The Western. SPIRIT i thought it was an excellent.
Speaker 13: Conversation SO i try to upload about three episodes a, week and the idea came.
Speaker 7: OUT i THINK i told you about.
Speaker 13: IT i about five six years ago lost almost all my, eyesight and my wife was, like you have to do something for, yourself.
Speaker 7: AND i was, like what SHOULD i? DO i, SAID i like to talk to.
Speaker 13: People and it was right Before october. SEVENTH i started In hebrew and THEN i did an episode In english just because it was, interesting and suddenly tons of people started.
Speaker 7: Watching so it just you, know ballooned from.
Speaker 13: There so that's where that's how everything, happened just by.
Speaker 7: Chance and uh so would.
Speaker 1: You locate yourself on these rarely political spectrum for the listeners who are pretty conversion with?
Speaker 7: It SO i used to work in the The coude.
Speaker 13: In about at this point in twenty, nineteen Before, corona there was the three. Elections remember there was like one election and no government was, formed then two months later another one and so during that TIME i worked in the De coude And i've always been even BEFORE i was working and writing in the newspapers, HERE i was very right wing and, volunteering AND i organized an entire group of people that became THE cud. Members our hope was to try to get more free market oriented members Of kannesset into higher places in the The.
Speaker 7: Coude lists of The kannesset in the past three four.
Speaker 13: Years i've been very disillusioned With, nataniello probably even, longer but more from the fact THAT i don't think he's being right wing, enough if that makes any. Sense SO i would Say i'm more on the is ready. RIGHT i also think that now the big discussion of this election will be about the Ultra orthodox. Issue, today as we're, Speaking Gilader, dan which used to be member of the De, coude announced him Annually, edelstein which is also another the coud are leaving THE cud and forming a new. Party and this party explicitly in their press conference was the reason why is that the coud is too much in the pocket of the Ultra orthodox with both the conscription stuff and the economic.
Speaker 7: Issues so this is going to be a big.
Speaker 13: Thing there's a bunch of parties in the middle of the political spectrum that are trying to get in BECAUSE i think they see in the polls about twelve seats equivalent Of israelis who, say we don't care B, b NOT, bb we just want the Ultra orthodox to start paying their fair share quote unquote to borrow the Leftist american.
Speaker 7: Line and so that's going to be a very.
Speaker 13: Bigtion taniao already is trying to distance himself from the ha redeem the Ultra. Orthodox he said in The this, week he said in a closed meeting that somehow someone released that whoever doesn't go to the army needs.
Speaker 4: To go to.
Speaker 13: Jail this is the exact opposite of the law that he tried to pass three weeks, ago which said that Ultra orthodox who don't go to the army will not go to. Jail Supreme court put a stop to. THAT i wonder what your opinion on that, is The Supreme, court BECAUSE i know you're more more Of alwer THAN i. Am but he basically said, no, no, no, no that was a little one time. Thing but really in my next, government whoever it doesn't go to the army will go to. Jail and so he's already trying to distance. Himself so this IS i, think unless The iran war restarts with a vigor AND i don't know what's happening with, That President trump IS i don't really understand what's. Happening but if that doesn't, happen then the Internal israeli stuff is what's going to decide the, election which is really, weird AND i think we spoke about it when you were on my, show that you would think three four years After october, seventh not even three, years the discussion would be. Security but it turns out that All israelis pretty much don't want a too state. Solution All israelis pretty much are very right wing also on the settlement's, issue even if they're not ideological like The Greater israel quote, unquote they don't want The palestinians to have a state because they saw what happened In gaza and they think the settlements are a buffer to. That so pretty much there's no not a lot of disagreements on the fundamentals of the security.
Speaker 7: Situation So, Benny, yeah.
Speaker 1: Because this is a broadcast not a, PODCAST i have to do it in eight minute, segment SO i want to make SURE i have you back again to. Continue BUT i want to make sure sure my listeners understand when they go to The Western, spirit will they hear views from across The israeli? Spectrum will they hear people left right? Center, Yes i've had a lot of.
Speaker 13: People i'm gonna do it now about two months of towards the. Election we're going to do a bunch Of israeli, stuff just to, know you, know who what where. WHEN i think a lot Of americans don't really understand the ins and, outs and they are, interested especially, Nowadays israel's all the time in the.
Speaker 7: News so, yeah we're going to do.
Speaker 13: Left we've Had simphrothman from the judicial reform.
Speaker 7: ISSUE i Had bibi's brother on this, week so we're gonna have a bunch of. People Maybe babe will come.
Speaker 1: On we'll, See so Op Ed editor of The. Globes how many people submit for Op? Ed is that a thriving space in The israel?
Speaker 13: MEDIA i get ABOUT i would, say on average two thousand emails a week.
Speaker 7: Submitting everyone here has an opinion Their.
Speaker 13: Jews so you can imagine they like, writing they like fighting with each. Other they read something in the paper that gets them, angry they want to write it's it's REALLY i am so not good at saying no to, people and this has become my life because you, know most of the Time i'm just sending Emails i'm, sorry you, know get accept your, thing and it's like this is this is one of the difficult things That i've had to deal with in this. Job it's like telling people no you're, good but no we don't have. Room it's not, you it's. Me it's it's like well girls used to say to me WHEN i was going out BEFORE i met my.
Speaker 1: Wife SO'S i want everyone The idis know you'll be. BACK i want them to. Remember The Western. Spirit it's available On apple And. iTunes is it not on?
Speaker 7: YouTube go to. YouTube that's where it's on.
Speaker 4: YouTube just go to YouTube The Western.
Speaker 1: Spirit Ariel, whitman it's a fabulous like a meet sagaal and Not avi yell and. Heavy ready gore another voice right out Of israel that will take An american deep Into israeli politics and security policy with nuance in his. Style, ariel thank you for the home and. Away come back. Again we'll put you on the regular. ROTATION i appreciate your.
Speaker 4: Time